Europa Universalis III PC

8.4

1. JohnA.
    Feb 18, 2007
    I think it is a shame to see low votes from people who either lack the system specifications to play the game or don't understand that "history simulation" means that it will be different from history (often excessively so) based on how one plays the game. The game play is rich and addictive, with fantastic depth. The graphics are well above par for a game like this, and the I think it is a shame to see low votes from people who either lack the system specifications to play the game or don't understand that "history simulation" means that it will be different from history (often excessively so) based on how one plays the game. The game play is rich and addictive, with fantastic depth. The graphics are well above par for a game like this, and the replay-ability, especially in light of the game's open ended modification system and active player community. Multiplayer support is not really up to snuff right now for their metaserver, but LAN etc multiplayer seems to work fine. Seeing as that will undoubtedly be fixed in upcoming patches, I could hardly let it overpower an otherwise pristine review of probably the only game I will play until the release of Spore. Expand
  2. BarryH.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Like most Paradox titles, this makes all other strategy games look sort of silly. The feeling you get when you accomplish a significant, but historically plausible goal -- like unifying Italy under your flag when you started out as a mere Savoy -- is much more satisfying than the ridiculous "conquer the entire world" goal that is the beginning and end of every other strategy game.
  3. Jun 4, 2011
    Very, very good game. The sandbox play is not for everyone but I quite enjoyed it as I love historical "what ifs". It's nice to see middle market developers like Paradox continuing to put out quality games.
  4. BenC
    Feb 7, 2009
    To comment on Shaun G's review, the two expansion packs mean you can now have the historical accuarcy, from the monarchs down to the events that shook the world. The game is certainly ugly, but like its predecessor, it is a game that you will always come back to. Well worth your money if you have the hours and hours to spare.
  5. AlexL
    Oct 11, 2009
    If you're into this sort of thing, this game is the ideal. It's a niche genre - most people aren't interested in grand strategy - but if you are, EU3 may be the only game you will ever need. Huge replayability, depth, and history. Check out some of the game's mods, also - graphics mods especially - to perfect EU3.
  6. Apr 23, 2011
    Get a grip. It's "Sandbox Europe" the only thing set is the starting conditions. If that's not what you want , then it's not a game you're after no matter how much you think it might be.
    Example. As England I make a pact with Spain and Spain and England invade Portugal. Never happened, so it also means Portugal can't discover and lay claim to the huge landmasses it did, and Spain and England did not war or even get a bit fruity in the new world. France backed down and (sensibly) fought neither.If we were allowed further it would in these circumstances be very unlikely that Napoloen would ever have risen above the rank of Captain.
    So I'm not allowed to do it? I can't sign a long lasting peace with Spain becasue all the preset historical events would get ruined? Course I am - it's a game, and JUST that one act, that ONE piece of paper signed in the first 5 years of the game changes EVERYTHING.The colonization of America, the incursions to India, the French avoid colonizing North Africa - it ALL CHANGES on that one piece of paper. THAT'S WHY IT'S A GAME NOT A BOOK.
    If it didn't and France just ignored the consequences of going around taking huge areas of North Africa via a stable mediteranean enforced by an Anglo/Spanish pact that would make no sense in the NEW context of the game. Not to mention the fact that Phillipe and I would just wipe them out with some considerable ease with the then puppet nation of Portugal providing the cannon fodder.
    "I want a game, but I want nothing I do to make any difference, have any effect or alter history as it's currently understood"
    That's not a game then is it - it's a history book.
  7. MarkD
    Jan 2, 2010
    This game is amazing. I don't really know what bugs or what problems people are experiencing, but this game is just amazing. Takes some patience to learn if you are new, but once you get it down, the fun just keeps on going..
  8. PeterL
    Jul 23, 2009
    Great all rounded stratagy with endless posiblilities .. well done paradox
  9. Jul 28, 2011
    First off, this game is not for everyone. That being said I'm a HUGE fan of grand strategy games, specifically ones from Paradox, and I think this is their best, especially with all the great expansion packs. I've played this for almost a hundred hours and I'm still not bored. To any fan of grand strategy, this is a must have.
  10. Aug 25, 2011
    Excellent strategy game that promises to be an all time classic. The research that must have gone into this game is mind boggling. I've learnt more from this game than any other game I've played! Absorbing and unlike pretty much any other computer game. Original and brilliant.
  11. AlephW.
    Feb 7, 2007
    A strategy game unlike any I have played before. I hadn't been introduced to Paradox-style history sim games, but I have been impressed with the attention to detail in this game. It is very hard to pull yourself away from the game. this game is not for everyone. "RTS" is a bit of a misnomer. It is a real-time deep strategy game that is more akin to Civilization (if you haven't A strategy game unlike any I have played before. I hadn't been introduced to Paradox-style history sim games, but I have been impressed with the attention to detail in this game. It is very hard to pull yourself away from the game. this game is not for everyone. "RTS" is a bit of a misnomer. It is a real-time deep strategy game that is more akin to Civilization (if you haven't played other games in this vein such as Hearts of Iron or Victoria) than Medieval II: Total War. Graphics are good for this type of game and the game play is addictive. The historical accuracy is amazing (and the AI's deviations from history can at times be entertaining) and the ease of modification promises many future developments. Expand
  12. Toidi
    Feb 6, 2007
    It's a very good game, much better than the EU2. There are still some glithches with AI which play a bit too lousy sometimes. But on the highest level one can have a not too bad game after all, though only because of bonuses the AI get. Graphics is ok, music is very good... It feels a bit slow at some point when the big empire is built as then merchants & colonist are a bit boring to It's a very good game, much better than the EU2. There are still some glithches with AI which play a bit too lousy sometimes. But on the highest level one can have a not too bad game after all, though only because of bonuses the AI get. Graphics is ok, music is very good... It feels a bit slow at some point when the big empire is built as then merchants & colonist are a bit boring to play and you just feel you won, but there is 150 years still to go. Anyway, great game, giving a lot of satisfaction at the beginning but may feel tedious sometimes. I would give the game ten if colonisation and trade were improved from EU II. In terms of AI the Galactic Civilisation is a better game, when late play is considered Civilisation IV has the upper hand. Expand
  13. MattT.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Considering that it's predecessor was the only video game I ever needed to play (other than Civ updates for only about a month after they came out), this is probably the only game I will need to play for the rest of 2007. And then some. History simulator supreme.
  14. TyroneL.
    Feb 2, 2007
    Superbly complex. Not as pretty as you might expect, but the depth more then makes up for it. Take note, however, that this game is not as rooted in history as previous entries in the series. That may turn some people off, but it goes a long way in allowing you to develop your own alternate history of the world, rather then being channeled into how it "should play out."
  15. ChrisV.
    Feb 24, 2007
    I'm sure that over time the user community will chime in and provide the historicity that the base game lacks in this iteration of Europa Universalis. The base game, however, is not meant to be historical past the first few years of the campaign the player has chosen. If one wishes to play with a world as it was in, say, 1550, one had better start not much earlier than 1545. If one I'm sure that over time the user community will chime in and provide the historicity that the base game lacks in this iteration of Europa Universalis. The base game, however, is not meant to be historical past the first few years of the campaign the player has chosen. If one wishes to play with a world as it was in, say, 1550, one had better start not much earlier than 1545. If one starts in 1453, by 1550, the world will be completely ahistorical, and ahistorical in a sometimes illogical fashion. The Papal States colonizing Alaska by 1500? All German mini-states eaten up by Munster? England ruled by Novgorod because of a royal marriage and death of a sovereign? Yep. It all can happen in a game. In short, the base game isn't for fans for historical "what-if?" gameplay. It will be, eventually, thanks to user mods. The base game, instead, is designed for fantasy worldbuilding and world conquest. Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    I don't get why people complain about this game being ahistorical. Merely recreating history as we know it would be boring. This game is an alternate history game - the entire POINT is to allow you to create your own history, to change things. You could turn Ireland into a naval superpower, reform the Byzantine Empire, colonize the New World as Japan, or even lead your Aztec warriors on anI don't get why people complain about this game being ahistorical. Merely recreating history as we know it would be boring. This game is an alternate history game - the entire POINT is to allow you to create your own history, to change things. You could turn Ireland into a naval superpower, reform the Byzantine Empire, colonize the New World as Japan, or even lead your Aztec warriors on an invasion of Europe. I love it. My only real complaints are that the interface could be better, and the game should not take three minutes just to get to the main menu. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd have to say that this is a brilliant strategy game with astounding replayability due to the ability to select any nation at any date between 1399-1821. The graphics have aged, but are still passable, and the options one has while playing it are expansive. A sheer joy to play.
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is by far the best strategy game out there and i have no clue why it is rated this low, EU2 got 9.1 and this game is much much better, its easy a 10/10 for me.
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the best games from Paradox. So much depth and different paths you can take it offers endless options. Each expansions adds to the game and is well worth it.
  20. Dec 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i become a great fan of paradox interactive, and i think that this game, even if it takes a while to understand it completely, is very good and fun. I think that if you like these types of games you definitively have to buy it Expand
  21. Dec 28, 2012
    One of the best strategy games ever, period. The player can take the helm of any nation spanning the 15th through early 19th centuries. You are given the opportunity to reshape world history as you see fit. The only drawback is that the expansions are almost mandatory to experience the game at its fullest. This is easily Paradox's best release to date.
  22. Jan 28, 2013
    It is a nice Grand Strategy game but many people don't like it because they don't understand it.If you have played Grand Strategy games before this game is the perfect one for you.It is a game based on conquering other countries with less economy and politics management than Victoria II and CK II.I also like the era of the game.You pick one country and build its history from 1399 toIt is a nice Grand Strategy game but many people don't like it because they don't understand it.If you have played Grand Strategy games before this game is the perfect one for you.It is a game based on conquering other countries with less economy and politics management than Victoria II and CK II.I also like the era of the game.You pick one country and build its history from 1399 to 1820.You manage its economy,you make wars and you ally with other countries to help you in war.Perfect for Grand Strategy games fans and very good for people who want to start playing Grand Strategy games.Not so good for those not interested in Grand Strategy games. Expand
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played. There is so much playability with every nation on Earth between 1399 to around 1840 at your disposal. If you don't like to think, this game might not be for you though.
  24. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is just perfection I have like 500 hour played on steam... sad but its amazing... the amount I have learnt and discovered from this game, its one of my favourite games ever.
  25. Jul 25, 2013
    Europa Univeraslis III is an excellent grand strategy game. I have played it for over a hundred hours with my friends, and I have only gotten the game recently.

The game is just so much fun with multiplayer. Make alliances with your friends, or backstab them and have fun attacking each other.

You can try easy countries, like Castille, or something almost impossible like Ashanti or Inca.
  26. Feb 14, 2015
    .....................................................................................................................................................
  27. Nov 23, 2015
    The game is just amazing. I love play this game. For me this game is amazing ! Nothing more to comment because this game is amazing ! I rate this 10/10

1. I was drawn to play Europa Universalis III because of the sheer amount of options that it offers. Not many games allow you to control an empire for more than 300 years and allow you to do it any way you see fit.
    Remarkably well-honed-arguably Paradox's finest achievement in the form to date.
    While it covers the same ground, there has been enough of a shift from the old roots to ensure the experience stays fresh while maintaining the features that have made the series the premier example of grand strategy on the PC today.