8.4

1. Nov 4, 2013
    Sure, it looks horrible but the game itself is a well put together medieval europe strategy title. If details aren't your thing then you'll hate it. But if you always wanted England to colonize France, then great.
  2. AWG
    Aug 13, 2013
    I like that this game doesn't strictly follow the historical facts (giving the player the opportunity of creating another history) but in the end it's just another complicated strategy game requiring too much time and effort to even just comprehend how to start.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    Europa Univeraslis III is an excellent grand strategy game. I have played it for over a hundred hours with my friends, and I have only gotten the game recently.

The game is just so much fun with multiplayer. Make alliances with your friends, or backstab them and have fun attacking each other.

You can try easy countries, like Castille, or something almost impossible like Ashanti or Inca.
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is just perfection I have like 500 hour played on steam... sad but its amazing... the amount I have learnt and discovered from this game, its one of my favourite games ever.
  5. Mar 14, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played. There is so much playability with every nation on Earth between 1399 to around 1840 at your disposal. If you don't like to think, this game might not be for you though.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd have to say that this is a brilliant strategy game with astounding replayability due to the ability to select any nation at any date between 1399-1821. The graphics have aged, but are still passable, and the options one has while playing it are expansive. A sheer joy to play.
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    It is a nice Grand Strategy game but many people don't like it because they don't understand it.If you have played Grand Strategy games before this game is the perfect one for you.It is a game based on conquering other countries with less economy and politics management than Victoria II and CK II.I also like the era of the game.You pick one country and build its history from 1399 to 1820.You manage its economy,you make wars and you ally with other countries to help you in war.Perfect for Grand Strategy games fans and very good for people who want to start playing Grand Strategy games.Not so good for those not interested in Grand Strategy games. Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    One of the best strategy games ever, period. The player can take the helm of any nation spanning the 15th through early 19th centuries. You are given the opportunity to reshape world history as you see fit. The only drawback is that the expansions are almost mandatory to experience the game at its fullest. This is easily Paradox's best release to date.
  9. Dec 15, 2012
    For all it's intense depth, length and re-playability, EU 3 ultimately fails to deliver a solid combat experience which can be a lethal blow for games like this. One example would be on how combat ends with your enemies once either your morale or theirs gets too low, ultimately causing one side to run away even with deaths that can be as small as 300. So for an 12,000 man army to rumple over an army of about 3000, you would pretty much need to chase them around the world in order to actually kill the unit off. This develops hair-pulling frustration when you are engaging more than 2-3 different enemy troops, while not big, stray too far from repeatedly kicking the same unit away and he'll grab your territory. Same frustration can also be found in the "Tech" bars, where you have production, navy, government and stability to pour funding into without knowing what the rewards will be in the slightest. And if you want to become especially precise in a certain field, you'll have extremely heavy draw-backs due to the tech being discovered "Too early", leaving you wasting years of in-game time to get a small 1% bonus. Of course you can choose to not spend this money like a proper sane individual but then the game will punish you for "Inflating" your currency, pretty much giving you an guaranteed chance to fail later. In the end, this game has too many angles and I certainly don't blame them for balance-issues but dropping the ball on combat? Come on now. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i become a great fan of paradox interactive, and i think that this game, even if it takes a while to understand it completely, is very good and fun. I think that if you like these types of games you definitively have to buy it Expand
  11. Nov 21, 2012
    I don't get why people complain about this game being ahistorical. Merely recreating history as we know it would be boring. This game is an alternate history game - the entire POINT is to allow you to create your own history, to change things. You could turn Ireland into a naval superpower, reform the Byzantine Empire, colonize the New World as Japan, or even lead your Aztec warriors on an invasion of Europe. I love it. My only real complaints are that the interface could be better, and the game should not take three minutes just to get to the main menu. Expand
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the best games from Paradox. So much depth and different paths you can take it offers endless options. Each expansions adds to the game and is well worth it.
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is by far the best strategy game out there and i have no clue why it is rated this low, EU2 got 9.1 and this game is much much better, its easy a 10/10 for me.
  14. May 10, 2012
    400 years of nation building with any country that existed between 1399-1822. The High medieval ages, the fall of the eastern roman empire,fall of the ming dynasty, the renaissance, the 30 years war and the Napoleonic age. This game is nearly 100% historically accurate at the start dates but when you start playing it's all lost! You have control over your nations destiny, colonizing, conquering and trading to gain power. The Holy Grail of Historical Sandbox games. Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2011
    Excellent strategy game that promises to be an all time classic. The research that must have gone into this game is mind boggling. I've learnt more from this game than any other game I've played! Absorbing and unlike pretty much any other computer game. Original and brilliant.
  16. Aug 17, 2011
    I love historical games and I really like simulation/strategic games too. Looks like everything is in place to have a great game play experience. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case, I pick up Aztec for my first game and it was horrible. I read a lot of stuff on the internet in order to have an idea what to do to get out of this stupid tribal political system. I had to westernize, which I haven't been able to do after seven attempts and 37.4 hours of play time. And what is this annoying behavior of those "riots army" who flee when I WON?!? They run everywhere and I have to play cat and mouse all over my territory to fight over and over again until they finally get all killed. Ridiculous, it's as if they had not even tried to play their own game. Expand
  17. Jul 28, 2011
    First off, this game is not for everyone. That being said I'm a HUGE fan of grand strategy games, specifically ones from Paradox, and I think this is their best, especially with all the great expansion packs. I've played this for almost a hundred hours and I'm still not bored. To any fan of grand strategy, this is a must have.
  18. Jun 4, 2011
    Very, very good game. The sandbox play is not for everyone but I quite enjoyed it as I love historical "what ifs". It's nice to see middle market developers like Paradox continuing to put out quality games.
  19. Apr 23, 2011
    Get a grip. It's "Sandbox Europe" the only thing set is the starting conditions. If that's not what you want , then it's not a game you're after no matter how much you think it might be.
    Example. As England I make a pact with Spain and Spain and England invade Portugal. Never happened, so it also means Portugal can't discover and lay claim to the huge landmasses it did, and Spain and
    England did not war or even get a bit fruity in the new world. France backed down and (sensibly) fought neither.If we were allowed further it would in these circumstances be very unlikely that Napoloen would ever have risen above the rank of Captain.
    So I'm not allowed to do it? I can't sign a long lasting peace with Spain becasue all the preset historical events would get ruined? Course I am - it's a game, and JUST that one act, that ONE piece of paper signed in the first 5 years of the game changes EVERYTHING.The colonization of America, the incursions to India, the French avoid colonizing North Africa - it ALL CHANGES on that one piece of paper. THAT'S WHY IT'S A GAME NOT A BOOK.
    If it didn't and France just ignored the consequences of going around taking huge areas of North Africa via a stable mediteranean enforced by an Anglo/Spanish pact that would make no sense in the NEW context of the game. Not to mention the fact that Phillipe and I would just wipe them out with some considerable ease with the then puppet nation of Portugal providing the cannon fodder.
    "I want a game, but I want nothing I do to make any difference, have any effect or alter history as it's currently understood"
    That's not a game then is it - it's a history book.
  20. Mar 15, 2011
    This game is great, being in the genre of many Paradox Interactive's games the Genre of Grand Strategy. This game isn't your ordinary strategy, It requires a capable mind few seem to have. It has a lot of micromanaging and multitasking. the game can be difficult at times, but overall it's a fun game. Europa Universalis III: Complete is the only one to buy now, including it's 2 first expansions/DLC In Nomine, and Napoleons Ambition. In order to really see the true potential and greatness of this game you need to buy the DLC Heir to the Throne, and Expansion Divine Wind. With all the DLC and Expansions you have a beautiful world with many details and smooth graphics, as well as a vast History. You can find thousands of historical Monarchs, and Historical People, as well as historical nations and events. The game also has many structures to build, and a great array of Technology, Governments, and Policies. Being a flexible game you are free to choose your own history as well. you aren't locked into a historical text book, you are free to command and conquer and shape the world in your liking. You can Colonize new territory, conquer ones already claimed, and even inherit nations. The game is great with being able to be apart of the Holy Roman Empire or apart of the Papacy. overall the game is Fun, Challenging, and has 100's of hours of game play. If you are into Strategy games with Real time, and want one different from the rest, you will not be bored with this game. I give this game a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 due to that there are many bugs, and exploits in the game and that the game's DLC/expansions cost way to much. I got the game on sale. the Game and all the DLC together is worth 30 dollars as of now. but sadly the total cost at full price at the moment is about 50 dollars. at the most i'd pay 35 for the game and no more. to me the game is worthy to be bought at 50 dollars but I wouldn't pay for it at that. Anyhow if this games price gets lowered or goes on sale it would be a smart choice to buy it. Expand

1. I was drawn to play Europa Universalis III because of the sheer amount of options that it offers. Not many games allow you to control an empire for more than 300 years and allow you to do it any way you see fit.
    Remarkably well-honed-arguably Paradox's finest achievement in the form to date.
    While it covers the same ground, there has been enough of a shift from the old roots to ensure the experience stays fresh while maintaining the features that have made the series the premier example of grand strategy on the PC today.