7.6

1. Jan 16, 2014
    This ''expansion'' adds nothing, NOTHING significant or interesting to the game. In fact it removes a lot of options and possibilities you had before, like peaceful vassalization (you can't vassalize anyone who has basically more than 2 provinces through diplomatic means), you can't vassalize in any way anyone who's too far behind in tech (basically any non-European nation)- instead you can make them a ''protectorate'', which is sort of like a vassal but not really- they will become your ally and you are going to be their only ally, you get 50% of their Trading Power and they get to tech faster. Woo, what a fascinating concept. Except it makes no sense and is pointless if you play a no super trading nation, like Russia or any non-Spain / Portugal / England nation, really.

You can no longer sell land to your vassals with a few exceptions, though no meaningful explanation is provided in game as for why said vassal wouldn't want a free province right next to them, other than "strategic interests". As a "compensation" for this the devs decided to basically nerf Aggresive Expansion to the point where no one will care if you grab a dozen provinces in a single swath, so coalitions are now extremely unlikely to form which coupled with the reduced impact of vassalization makes for a boring, repetitive, brainless cycle of "conquer whatever you want wherever you want from whomever you want, core, convert, conquer, core, convert" until you realize how boring the game feels now and just Alt + F4 without even bothering to save.

In conclusion, this expansion (and patch 1.4) are a huge downgrade to what used to be a very engaging, entertaining, deep strategy game. Stick with the original and don't waste your money supporting decisions which impose a forced limit on the player's options instead of enhancing the game.
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    I liked many of the new things but if you pay 10 euro you expect more than this. 1. Natives There is almost no difference and the South american natives are not effected by this DLC 2.Random New World A fun idea but there some issues from my own experience it seems like the Missions (Colonize Brazil) etc does not work properly. It is very annoying when you have the same trade region names Brazil, California etc.
    It also seems that if you play Random New world every coast region in Brazil, Peru, Rio de plaza has Tropical environment witch makes colonization as slow as in Africa witch makes it very frustrating.

Western Trade region i believe is a update and not part of the expansion but i like the idea but still it´s not fair if you are the only Colonization nation and you almost does not earn anything of the trade.

Protectorate is a good idea but it´s needs more work,
    It does not seem worth it to have a Protectorate for the time, I tried to make the Mayans my Protectorate and now i can´t conquer them and it gives me no profits at all.

I think people expected more of this expansion if you haven´t bought it yet don´t buy it.

This Expansion needs a update to make the money we paid worth while.
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    Reviewing CoP without reviewing patch 1.4 is impossible, since they are coupled together. But I will mainly speak only about Colonial Nations, Natives and Protectorates.
    Generally, the idea is great - but the realization is dull.

1) Colonial Nations - it gives no options, it just converts any 5 provinces in a colonial region into a Colonial Nation. Since then it is is basically your
    overseas vassal. You can appoint governors (just as an usual republican election), there are few generic events, you can raise tariffs for adm points, raising your income and their liberty desire. Colonial Nations are very passive, they barely do anything to expand. AI is bad with it as well - previously aggressive colonizer Portugal can suddenly stop colonizing a region after according Colonial Nation has been formed. After a Colonial Nation was released independent, it immediately loses any cultural flavour. Your Vinland will become Canada with the Red Ensign as its flag, your New Norway will become USA which will immediately get an event about Independence from British. USA (and almost all other) became monarchy in my case, which is hilarious.

2) Natives - it one of the main points of the DLC/patch. Well, the natives even got no special events in their DLC. Should I continue on this one?

3) Protectorates - if a nation's tech group too low (50% + lower than yours tech group), you will not be able to vassalize it. You will only be able to create a Protectorate, which will give you 50% trade power. It is very nice to see Muscovy not conquering Kazan, but ESTABLISHING PROTECTORATE. Seriously? As well as Muslims from Maghreb countries can not vassalize Sub-Sahara Muslims, because the tech group difference is 60%. And again, there is no choice - you can not choose between protectorate/vassal.

Overall, patch brings many needed changes, but lack of testing (from insane Coalitions in 1.3 to almost non-existing Coalitions in 1.4, for example), lack of attention to the details, unprepared AI, and too much of imposing (no choice over whether or not make a Colonial Nation or rule directly) make this patch/DLC not as good as it could be.
  4. Feb 1, 2014
    I will preface this by stating that I am a veteran of Paradox games and purchase nearly every one of their products (you might even call me a fanboi).

This expansion adds a number of interesting features, including colonial nations, expanded native gameplay, protectorates, and a randomized new world (optional). I was mostly unimpressed in the implementation of most of these features.

Prior to this expansion, you would directly control your colonial holdings. Post-expansion, once you have settled 5 provinces in a "colonial region" (the new world is split up into various set regions), the colonies turn into an AI-controlled colonial nation. This addition, as a whole, is a nice touch. It gives your colonies their own personalities and desires outside of your own, which is appropriate. However, if you were to play one of these colonial nations, you'll realize that they're all the same. There are no unique national ideas even if you form the USA (or Brazil or Haiti, etc.). As a recurring theme among this expansion, there is a lack of depth. For example, there is an extreme deficit in colonial nation specific events.

Native gameplay has a few new features. However, after playing one of the natives, I find they are still quite boring. The migration feature is cute, allowing you to move your tribe from one province to another, but it has no real long-term value. Eventually, you realize that you can colonize adjacent provinces with your natives and then it becomes a game of just sitting around, colonizing, while you wait for the Europeans to arrive. There is truly little action in the New World, despite this expansion being devoted to it. Again, there is absolutely no Native American specific events (and in fact, they receive inappropriate European events) Furthermore, South American nations were not even touched.

Protectorates are an absolute disaster. The AI does not know how to handle them properly. For example, Muscovy will often form a protectorate with surrounding hordes rather than conquering them, as would be optimal. This system needs a bit of an overhaul. Perhaps with some proper AI programming, as well, it might work.

Finally, the randomized new world... It's quite simply ugly, unnatural, and repulsive. It follows a simple equation, it seems, in which the center of the continent is desert, followed by forests around the edge, with ugly coasts. The province borders look like the borders of Africa - straight lined, hard corners, etc.

In total, I give this game a ~5. It still needs polishing. If, some day, they improve the randomization feature for the new world, they add a plethora of events for natives and colonial nations, they add unique nations ideas for these colonial nations (it's an expansion focused on these nations, why wouldn't they think it's worthwhile!?), make the prior released American Dream DLC work with this expansion, then they might have something great. Paradox is great at post-release fixes, so there is hope that this expansion might some day rise to the quality that we have come to expect.
  5. Feb 19, 2014
    For such exceptional game like EU IV was, was before patch 1.4, it's sad such "expansion" has been brought. I confirm for my experience that coalition lost their power, terrain advantages for defenders have been tweaked and the game overall got to be less simulation.

Dear Paradox. Continue this direction and you fall into a pit of **** commercial world.
  6. Jan 24, 2014
    I absolutely love this expansion. It is one of the best expansions ever released for EU III and IV. Well, colonial nations and native American nations could have been made more complex and interesting, but I hope that a future patch would improve on that. The random new world isn't absolutely perfect either, but it is an amazing and well made feature. It really adds a lot to the game. Good job, Paradox! Expand
  7. Apr 15, 2014
    Base game is pretty good, this expansion is absolutely horrible. I can't even bring myself to play the game anymore with all of the broken half baked mechanics. Colonial nations and protectorates are an absolute abomination in their current form. A game focuses around colonial expansion seems to now fail at exactly that, and diplomacy, cascading wars, and war leaders changes have never been worse. Expand
  8. Feb 7, 2014
    This expansion adds a randomized new world that changes every new game. There is also a free patch that gives you tribes to play with and some new trade notes.

Personally I like the idea of the play with one randomized world because its a new world. Paradox Interactive has for the first time a randomized world and It looks great. But there are some minor problems with it.

-Too big
    provinces
    -Every randomized world looks squarish.

But there are many good things in this expansion.

-Awesome randomized worlds.
    -Many cool unique tribes.
    -The 1.4 patch makes the game fun again because in the previous patch it was not.
    -Migration
    - Unique natives building that make you stronger against the western world.

Overall I will give this expansion one 7 because the expansion is great and I know Paradox can do a better job at this. I hope to see them make more random worlds in their future games.
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    this DLC adds more tribes in the American areas of the map and makes them playable to the players without getting destroyed when the Europeans make it over, I enjoyed what they added in this and ruled America as one of the smaller tribe thanks to Portugal. everyone who played the main game should give this a chance
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    most disappointing release ever! i'm a fan of this game (1000+ hours gameplay) but the random new world map is very disappointing. i expected something at least better than the 2-decade-old "imperialism I & II" game which had a decent random map function.

1. Apr 2, 2014
    A bit light in content, this expansion concentrates on adding features that enhance gameplay in the New World. The new features make Native American nations more rewarding to play, and add an interesting possibility wherein the Europeans could be kicked off the continent.
    Europa Universalis IV is the finest strategy game on the market. And it just got better.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Conquest of Paradise is a solid, although somewhat narrowly-focused expansion.