Europa Universalis IV PC

8.8

1. Aug 13, 2013
    WOW! For about ten years Paradox Development have been a small team of nice guys working hard to give us good games and mostly failing. Their games have been for the most part tedious, pretentious and ugly, with cluttered mechanisms, and hideous micromanagement. Most of the Paradox efforts suffered from terrible tutorials and ridiculous learning curved that discouraged any vaguely casualWOW! For about ten years Paradox Development have been a small team of nice guys working hard to give us good games and mostly failing. Their games have been for the most part tedious, pretentious and ugly, with cluttered mechanisms, and hideous micromanagement. Most of the Paradox efforts suffered from terrible tutorials and ridiculous learning curved that discouraged any vaguely casual gamers. But beyond inaccessibility, the games were finally not that good, because even when you figured out the mechanisms they were still too MECHANICAL: not even really worth learning in the end because they were all variations of a sausage machine. However something miraculous happened with Crusaders Kings 2, and echoes of the good things we saw in earlier games (Hearts of Iron 2) reappeared: Better looking graphics. Simpler, yet DEEPER gameplay. The machine kept churning away but Paradox learned to save us from the worst of it, and the gameplay began to blossom. Europa Universalis IV seems to demonstrate that Paradox has really turned the corner. The game is beautiful. Gameplay is fluid. The depth and complication is welcome, but it has been softened with a more thoughtful and gaming friendly structure! GREAT WORK PARADOX! Good things take time, and your grand ambitions are finally bearing fruit. I'm very excited about where this will lead with the Hearts of Iron series, because all the design wisdom that we can see in CK2 and EU4 is leading in the absolute correct direction. If you love strategy gaming please go and buy this game and support this developer! This is a FAR, FAR superior game to Civilizations 1-5 as well as anything put out by Creative Assembly. It's been a long wait but worth it. Can't wait to see what we get when the final few pieces of the game design puzzle fall into place. If they get the budget to build something with a more solid multiplayer experience we will see the PERFECT game. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2013
    Best Paradox game to date. Multiplayer hotjoin added makes it the easiest grand strategy game to play with a friend.

Full of depth and history it will make CIV5 seem like child's play.
    With over 250 nations to play you will never be bored.
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    It may be a good game however there is one critical flaw. The text in the game (and this is a text heavy game!) is difficult to read at a resolution of 1900x1200 (native monitor resolution).

Until UI scaling is implemented the game its unplayable for any prolonged period of time. It will give you serious eyestrain if you have a high DPI monitor.
  4. Jun 20, 2017
    Incredibly detailed game. By far the most fun to play strategy game once you understand its mechanics. I spent more time playing this than all other games combined because there are so many options and so much content. Be aware of the high DLC prices though.
  5. Aug 20, 2016
    You can hardly find another cool nerdy game like EU! Building empires, crushing revolutions, vassalising smaller nations... tons of stuff! Although I admit it's a hard task for newbies to get into this game.
  6. Dec 30, 2016
    Europa Universalis IV is easily the BEST strategy game I ever played. This game is the prove that realistic historically accurate strategy games can be good or like EU4, a masterpiece. There no bad thing in EU. If you like Strategy games pick it up, if you like history pick it up, if you ever played any paradox strategy game pick it up. There is no bad things that I can say so this gameEuropa Universalis IV is easily the BEST strategy game I ever played. This game is the prove that realistic historically accurate strategy games can be good or like EU4, a masterpiece. There no bad thing in EU. If you like Strategy games pick it up, if you like history pick it up, if you ever played any paradox strategy game pick it up. There is no bad things that I can say so this game gets a 10/10 for me. Expand
  7. Dec 31, 2016
    Encore un jeux pour stratège que j'aime merci Paradox et aussi merci pour les DLCs qui améliores encore grandement le jeux dans ses différents parties qui sont très nombreuses.
  8. Jan 18, 2017
    One of my favourite strategy. The developers made a great job. The game sends me to the deep medieval world. One week I could not move away from my computer. I think this is the best historical strategy from Paradox.
    After I start to play Europa Universalis IV I couldn't play the sid meier s civilization.
  9. Mar 10, 2017
    Paradox out did themselves on this one, as the game ages, it just gets better and better. I started off as a two province minor Holland, and through a war of independence, diplomacy, trade and colonisation I became the dominant world power by a large margin. This game rewards good play with incredible trade offs whilst still making a fantastic experience if things aren't going quite yourParadox out did themselves on this one, as the game ages, it just gets better and better. I started off as a two province minor Holland, and through a war of independence, diplomacy, trade and colonisation I became the dominant world power by a large margin. This game rewards good play with incredible trade offs whilst still making a fantastic experience if things aren't going quite your way, living on the edge is just as fun. Expand
  10. Apr 10, 2017
    With almost 1000 hours put in this game and the flexibility it allows you to play in one of the most interesting times in history. However, it does have quite a steep learning curve, which can put off the new player for a grand strategy game. It has a lot of number crunching, which personally I'm not a fan of but it doesn't stop me from having fun and dominating as a one nation minor. ItWith almost 1000 hours put in this game and the flexibility it allows you to play in one of the most interesting times in history. However, it does have quite a steep learning curve, which can put off the new player for a grand strategy game. It has a lot of number crunching, which personally I'm not a fan of but it doesn't stop me from having fun and dominating as a one nation minor. It is a game of which has a diverse play style. You can be a military world power, or king of the sea and trade, it is totally up to you, the player, to follow history or create your own. The only reason it doesn't get its perfect score is because of how overwhelming it can be, even with 1000 hours, but this can be a pro for some players. I would recommend. Expand
  11. May 5, 2017
    Best strategy game that I have played so far. Good replay value, and addictive gameplay. I strongly recommend to all strategy fans.

The user reviews on steam are low due to DLC, but I do not own any and its still fun.
  12. Ed_
    Sep 6, 2013
    A fantastic, enjoyable game! I haven't noticed any bugs, smooth gameplay, great songs, not as complicated as some people would say. You have the opportunity to lead any country and make decisions which can be fatal or profitable for your monarchy or republic. Keep up the good work Paradox!
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    After sinking (way too much) time into this game, I can say that I absolutely LOVE it.
    However, be warned that this style fits a particular kind of strategy gamer, not all of them. For example, if you enjoy Total War games (which I also love), EU IV might not necessarily give you the right thrill.

For one thing, it has a steep learning curve for newcomers (such as myself), who didn't play EU III or similar installments from Paradox, but if you have the patience to learn the details (and there are many of them), you get to play a game that covers a fascinating historic period, on an unsurpassed scale - the entire span of the globe, no less, from East to West.
    It has a deep diplomatic model, which can be very satisfying to use. Wars, in particular, are not a matter of extermination, but can rather serve as a means to weaken an enemy, gain some territory, or (my favorite) force enemies to grant independence to countries they had annexed earlier.

On the other hand, the satisfaction EU IV provides is mostly cerebral. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing your carefully laid plans bear fruit, but your time is spent gazing at the map which, as pretty as it may be, is still a map; and at numerous icons, texts, and information sheets. EU IV might be a very complex board game, but that's what it is, basically. In regards to audio-visual entertainment, the cover image is the most exciting part of the game, so if that's what you're after, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Still, if you enjoy strategizing, outwitting foes, and growing a country that you picked to scary proportions, I believe you will love Europa Universalis IV almost as much as I do.
  14. Oct 29, 2013
    Paradox at its best. Civilization V is nothing in front of Europa Universalis IV.The deepest game I've ever played. Haven't checked the multiplayer yet...100 hours and I'm still hooked up.
  15. Feb 15, 2014
    Paradox Development Studio has done it again with another great grand strategy game, EU4 puts you as a country and you have to take over the world or become number one in the world you play,
    that sounds easy but it is not as easy as you my first think depending on what country you start with.
    if you enjoyed CK2 you will enjoy this
  16. Oct 23, 2013
    Excellent continuation of Europa Universalis series. I started as my hime country, Bohemia, and the level of historical details authors introduced is really excellent.
    Oh and a small notion to all of those complaining about hard to get UI. Please, go back to you consoles or tablets and leave PC games to people with brains. Thank you.
  17. Aug 19, 2013
    This installment of the europa universalis series has improved alot of features about the game, making the game easier to play, keeping complexity but making the game less complicated. What I don't like is that the AI is still pretty bad in the EU series. While the opponent wont send troops to random suicide missions like previous installments it's basically still broken. For exampleThis installment of the europa universalis series has improved alot of features about the game, making the game easier to play, keeping complexity but making the game less complicated. What I don't like is that the AI is still pretty bad in the EU series. While the opponent wont send troops to random suicide missions like previous installments it's basically still broken. For example during a long war the enemy had stacks of 20 troops which they were just moving between the same provinces for the entire war. This ended up with me winning against a enemy that had a vastly superior military than me. By killing of his weaker stacks first and then going for the big one.

Allies are also abit stupid and they usually end up standing around at a corner of the country that you are trying to invade instead of actually helping in the battles. This, coupled with a warscore system where the death of 1000 soldiers is about equal to the death of 10000 soldiers, kind of breaks how war works in the game. Alot of the times you will see big territories on the AI map that has been conquered by rebels due to the AIs inability to handle wars properly.

Another thing that I found disturbing is that the game is also somewhat too european centric (yea i know its called europa universalis).
    Where anything that isn't western is deemded as technologically backwards. This clearly ingores the fact that alot of discoveries in the 1400 where made in the east (for example gunpowder and muskets). I know that this is the world from a european point of view but it still seems to be abit baltant to devide countries into technology gropus where some are just "worse" than others. Also making poland a eastern technology group is in my opinion historically incorrect in that case.

But im really focusing on the bad bit the game has alot of positivies also, if you are willing to spend hundreds of hours on this game then you will probably have alot of fun (and also neglect work and family).
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very detailed and enjoyable gameplay, fantastic in-game dynamics, and elegant graphics absolutely prove that this game completely deserves to be called grand strategy. Expand
  19. May 21, 2014
    A great grand strategy game with great width and depth. A successful combination of war, diplomacy, economy, colonization and more. A numbers game to a large extent with great level of detail for the one interested.
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    This game was really cool at first, but by the end of my game (after 60 hours of game play or so) the game has lost all of the fun and interesting elements to it. The strategy in the game seems very limited. By comparison, I feel that Civ 5 has WAY more strategical depth and important decisions to make throughout an entire game.

-Technology is a joke: its impractical to take

-Technology is a joke: its impractical to take technologies ahead of time, so you end up at the same technological ability as all of the other top rivals. The only real difference would be through the Idea groups. That's basically you're biggest economic strategical decision to make in the game which Idea groups to invest in. However, these aren't exactly overly influential to the game play.

Decisions on money spending: You basically have to choose which buildings to build, or how many troops to raise. I don't feel like this decision is generally very difficult, or even that important. Usually you get as big of an army/navy as you need, and spend the rest on buildings. The buildings don't do much though, and its usually not tough to figure out where or what buildings to build.

Combat: Combat is really annoying more than strategical. The AI is very pesky and it forces you to constantly pay attention and combat their movements with your own. Its very tedious because they can be very hit and run style, and unless you pay very close attention and turn down the game speed, they will take advantage of you. And even when you do pay close attention, its not difficult to figure out where you want your troops, its just tedious work.

Diplomacy: Annoying. I am allied with England, but if I go to War with France and their allies Burgundy and Scottland, England won't really help me, they will only attack Scottland and leave me to die via huge armies from Burgandy/France. Also, when they call me to war, and I help them by taking over all of France, they will then sign for peace, and I get no new territories, wtf...

Random Events: powerful but uncontrollable? no thanks.

Positives:
    -I do like the UI, its fairly easy to do things in this game mass build, queue units, get to different screens, transport units.
    -Music is really good, though if you don't like it, it could get repetitive.
    -First 100 years were pretty exciting, more things to do at that point.

I am definitely disappointed in this game. It is not fun. This game is complicated because it has a lot of different components to it, and hard to figure out how they all work, but it is not complicated from a strategy perspective, i think you'll see how simple it really is after you figure out how all the components of this game work. Like another reviewer said, its basically Risk with a thin layer of economy and diplomacy attached.
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    2nd Review: Giving it a 10 (+1 over 1st score). The 1920x1200 resolution small text has been fixed now too.

After 226 hours played, still playing got most the Ironman achievements with England. It really needs 100 hours just to get the hang of it all. Game gets more and more amazing, the complexity the random factor means never will you have the same game twice (and I started

Game gets more and more amazing, the complexity the random factor means never will you have the same game twice (and I started Ironman about 20x until I got it just right).

Yes, one needs to speed time up when things are slow, but that's why there is a time shift. The complexity depends on starting nation. England has it easy on their little island, but try stopping Ottomans with Serbia for instance, or playing Native American tribes in Ironman.
  22. Aug 21, 2013
    Love strategy, Gal Civ, Civ, TW, but it's the first time I've played a paradox game. It seems I really missed out on some of their earlier titles. If you like strategy, buy this game. It makes TW and Civ 5 seem like they are aimed at 6-10 year olds.
  23. Aug 31, 2013
    I only need 3 words to describe this masterpiece of a game; Gigantic, Beautiful and Addictive. This is a game that may not be for the weak of heart but once you get into it; damn, it's one of the best games you've ever played! Wanna do a campaign as the Ming empire? Sure... you can do that! Wanna unify Japan? Yep, you can do that too! This is a game where you can do pretty much everything!I only need 3 words to describe this masterpiece of a game; Gigantic, Beautiful and Addictive. This is a game that may not be for the weak of heart but once you get into it; damn, it's one of the best games you've ever played! Wanna do a campaign as the Ming empire? Sure... you can do that! Wanna unify Japan? Yep, you can do that too! This is a game where you can do pretty much everything! Strongly recommended! Expand
  24. Aug 13, 2013
    While the final expansion to EU3, Divine Wind, was less than stellar, taken as a whole EU3 was an impressive game and trying to improve upon it would be a daunting task for anyone. With EU4, Paradox has done just that, and it's clear that they've learned from the mistakes of Divine Wind. In short: buy EU4, you won't be disappointed.
  25. Aug 28, 2013
    A masterpiece! One of the best strategy games I've ever played. EUIII was a very good game but full of flaws and boring mechanics. In EUIV, Paradox got a lot of that and corrected the way they should do it. It's not a perfect game, sure, but it got close. Correct the bugs, especially the achievements ones, and some minor problems, like England being too weak and France too powerfull, andA masterpiece! One of the best strategy games I've ever played. EUIII was a very good game but full of flaws and boring mechanics. In EUIV, Paradox got a lot of that and corrected the way they should do it. It's not a perfect game, sure, but it got close. Correct the bugs, especially the achievements ones, and some minor problems, like England being too weak and France too powerfull, and voilá a 10 will be deserved. Right now, I am content with the 9. Expand
  26. Aug 24, 2013
    One of the best games I played. Europa Universalis IV is meant for thousands of hour of play time and the amount of replay ability available is incredible. You could just add thousands of hours into just by the vanilla version but no it doesn't stop there.

There is even a bigger mod community in Europa Universalis IV then the prequel (Europa Unversalis III) so be prepared to play until the next Europa Universalis game.

+ all the expansions they could make for Europa Universalis IV will be even a better game then now.

I would advise you to buy it if you're into Strategy and history and *What if scenarios*
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    EU4 is easily the best game in the series, taking all the best advancements of its previous iterations and expansions and melding them seamlessly with new features.

The tired (and highly flawed) trading system has been replaced with one that makes a lot more sense and keeps the game from getting out of hand (particularly during the end-game). Income has been replaced with a single,

Income has been replaced with a single, monthly, number greatly increasing ease of understanding and economic planning. Some features, such as inflation have been dumbed down, which may or may not be of concern, but overall economics just feels better.

Technology sliders and certain diplomatic/administrative actions have been replaced by a three pronged point system, which again, streamlines ease of use, but more importantly, makes actions, like (the ever-popular) large-scale revolts, construction, and war exhaustion manageable and easier to visualize as real world paradigms.

This limited points system spills over into diplomacy, religion, and trade, with diplomats, missionaries, and merchants now a standing number non-replenishable over the months but available to send and call back from missions at will, which particularly with diplomats open more options.

Wars are shorter and more defined, and reinforce speed has been significantly decreased, meaning standing armies are more important. Losing a battle makes your units fall back several territories and prevents the ridiculous "cat-and-mouse" chases of yesteryear.

Overall, for those who are old hands of EU, this is a great new addition to the series, expanding on the best EU has to offer. For those who are new to series, this is the perfect entry to get your feet wet, with tool tips and explanations abound. Although complicated enough to be called a "grand strategy" game, EU4 is the perfect blend of complexity and design, but without the complication inherent in some other titles.
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    "Europa Universalis IV is the game you graduate to when you’re tired of Civilization" Edge

I completely agree with this sentiment and will echo what others said. This is a big jump up in terms of tutorials and learning. The game has yet to have any major bugs that ruin the game for me. It's been a total blast so far to play and i'd have paid $60 bucks like a typical AAA game. In my

In my play through with england there were many times where i felt my back was up against the wall. I was bordering on bankruptcy then had to fight hordes of rebellions but i managed to make it through and rebuild. There was a war with France vs the rest of the world, me (england), Spain, Portugal, Vienna, Scotland, etc and they had about 130 ground units. They had occupied most of the typical french territory plus almost all of spain. I had to make a seperate peace and give up some of my territory in NW europe on the mainland but it stopped the horde. Fast forward 50 years later with the start of the Protestant religion and France starts pulling itself apart from religious strife. The same coalition is able to go in and dismantle France piece by piece. All that remains now is ile-de-france and the area all around it are the smaller sovereign regions.

This game is an amazing roller coaster you have to try to believe.
  29. Aug 24, 2013
    I don`t usually give a 10/10 for games that still have minor flaws, but after i bought this game i think I have sunk almost all my free time in it. And the time flies and you realize you need to work, to eat. And this happened for days.

It is a splendid game, a marvel I might say, very well balanced, the difficulty scales with expansions, what can I say more than a superb strategy game.

And it scales in such a realistic way. For example, playing as the ottomans, I find out that after the initial blast, the powerful ottomans tend to remain behind in the 18th century and the 19th century, so even after i am one of the greatest power around the globe (land), I still consider if I should attack another nation. The coalition system and the technology points investment are so well designed that will enhance your gameplay with hard thought decisions. To invest in buildings, in technology, in expanding and so much more.

What can I say more than a strong 10/10. One of the best, if not the best strategy game i have ever played.
  30. Oct 20, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 4 /5 (good strategy gameplay, frustrating randomness, a few design issues)
    Polish: 4 /5 (graphics are acceptable given the game's nature, some bugs are present) Value: 5 /5 (huge map with excellent replay potential and emergent storytelling aspect) ---Review--- While Europa Universalis may never be as flashy from a technical or "eye candy" perspective as some
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    While Europa Universalis may never be as flashy from a technical or "eye candy" perspective as some other historical strategy titles, its fourth installment provides significantly more depth and freedom than any of those competitors. This is simply a must-play for history buffs, but otherwise it's a very solid and functional (cough, TWR2) grand strategy game with an emphasis on expansion and trade. Although the interface and controls are much more accessible than in previous iterations, some of the mechanics remain quite clunky; trade is heavily abstracted and the combat system is relatively simplistic. There are even a couple instances of what might more-or-less objectively be labeled poor design decisions, including the occasional punishing random event over which the player has no control. The fact that the rest of the game is excellent unfortunately makes its few obvious flaws stand out even more, but that said if you can get past the randomness and arbitrary abstractions Europa Universalis- with all of its immense replay value- can be a very rewarding experience.
  31. Aug 18, 2013
    Note: This is not a game for everyone. It is a game with complex economic, diplomatic and political models that are obtuse and difficult to grasp for your first, oh, 10 playthroughs, however, it is the apex of the series, a masterwork of UI, strategy and fun. If you love CIV and are ready for the next challenge, this is it.
  32. Aug 16, 2013
    If you like your game to be clever, unpredictable & rewarding. If you are frustrated by CIV V & Total War's thin attempts at diplomacy. If you like astonishing depth & diversity. If you want to be awed by the intricate complexity & myriad ways to play. If you adore gorgeous maps an excellent interface & a huge numbers of options at your fingertips (get the larger font mod though). If youIf you like your game to be clever, unpredictable & rewarding. If you are frustrated by CIV V & Total War's thin attempts at diplomacy. If you like astonishing depth & diversity. If you want to be awed by the intricate complexity & myriad ways to play. If you adore gorgeous maps an excellent interface & a huge numbers of options at your fingertips (get the larger font mod though). If you want to understand exactly why some manoeuvre went brilliantly or totally sideways. If you don't mind that the dev will continue to tweak the rules for years to come. If you want an army of devoted and frothing conquistadores massed in a thriving online community desperate to support you and if you're smart enough to endure the steep learning curve btw forget the manual just let Quill18 et al teach you on youtube. Then what are you waiting for? After 30 hours of play & 10 hours watching the experts show me I'm convinced this is THE grand strategy game I've been waiting for. Yeah baby Expand
  33. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is simply superb. The level of detail, thought, and competence that went into it has made it a pleasure to play. Given the disaster that Rome 2 turned out to be, I'm extremely thankful that I'll have something to play for the foreseeable future. Paradox has come through again!
  34. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a first edition of Europa Universalis which I have ever played. I must say that it was really hard for me to get started. I've spent few hours trying to understand the rules and interface of the game. I also watch few movies on youtube to see how others play and I realize that I am not alone. But after this time I started to really enjoy the game. It is not as complex as I thoughtThis is a first edition of Europa Universalis which I have ever played. I must say that it was really hard for me to get started. I've spent few hours trying to understand the rules and interface of the game. I also watch few movies on youtube to see how others play and I realize that I am not alone. But after this time I started to really enjoy the game. It is not as complex as I thought initially, but it is challenging especially on ironman mode. One thing that is missing for me is an autopause when something very important happen (such as alliance offer). I must keep my finger on top of space bar and hit it every time when I see a tiny image on top of the screen. To conclude it is a nice, challenging game for strategy game lovers. Expand
  35. Oct 9, 2013
    EU4 is a hardcore strategy game. Immense, but also minimalistic. It has a high replayability, which is a guarantee to devour your free time.There are always new things to master, to explore and to do.
    Furthermore, the game is polished. Some bugs are there, but they are insignificant.
    However, the tiny fonts hurt my eyes. I hope they include a font size, which is scales to match screen size.
    Please fix this Paradox!
    EDIT: I have installed the font mod and gave it a 10. After all it deserves it!
  36. Oct 13, 2013
    After seeing this game several times on Steam and passing it I finally decided to give it a try thanks to user reviews here on Metacritic. And I was not prepared for what was coming.

This game is a pure blast! I've put 40 hours so far into the game only playing tutorials and my first playthrough as Ireland and what a ride it was. I am nowhere near the end, but I can say that this game is amazing! As a fan of grand strategy games who played them since the very first Civilization and through all Total War games I have to say that EU IV one is the best one so far. They just got it right. Diplomacy, research, warfare, trade, rebellions, religion, colonization it is all very well balanced mix that not fits together incredibly well from the gameplay point of view but also from the historical perspective. Even though the game is a sandbox it is so well balanced that you see many historical events occurring even if they are not really scripted like Rise & Fall mod for Civilization IV.

Additionally there are so many aspects of the game that I did not even approached in my first playthrough where I focused on exploring new world that promise a lot of replay value a thing very scarce these days. Do you wish to play as part of Holy Roman Empire and unite it under one umbrella to become a dominant power as Germany? Check. Or do you wish to be spearheading counter-reformation that is threatening the stability of Europe? Or do you want to play as one of the less advanced civilizations and wage a fight for your very existence? Check and check. There are endless opportunities and all of them real and well thought off.

On the top of all of it I did not encounter a single bug or any other issue. The gameplay is smooth and in spite of so many people criticizing the user interface I find it very useful the end game management of dozens of provinces which was always a chore to do with other games is breeze in this game. It lets the game keep holding you from the beginning to the end so that you do not want to go to sleep because you just want to win this battle or set up the trade in that node.

For me this is the game of the year and it is something that many people may have expected Rome Total War. That it was Paradox interactive, a company that I admire for other great titles such as Mount&Blade, who achieved this is surprising but also refreshing. That I support such a good gaming company by purchasing this superb game is just an icing on the already incredibly tasty cake.Do not wait and if you ever liked any of the grand strategy title go and buy EU IV. It is a must have for any even remote grand strategy fan because this is how such a game should look like.
  37. Oct 3, 2013
    Fantastic game from a fantastic game developer. Paradox really hit the mark on their latest Europa Universalis IV. The improvement of trade systems made being a small state but a major economic power very possible. Weather system through the seasons made a balanced attack defense phase between armies and added another level of strategy.

I wish that they had added more user diversity on

I wish that they had added more user diversity on state creation and formation, but that is a completely other and massive change in the game. But still Super fun and one of the best games to get into grand strategy, from of course the masters of grand strategy!
  38. Oct 23, 2013
    I think this is a niche game, and you must like this sort of complex games to actually enjoy it, but it is definitely The best game of its kind. The company’s attitude to its fans deserves its own praise.
  39. Oct 6, 2013
    Everything about this is an improvement over EU3, the mechanics the coalition system the ways the governance benefits change etc etc etc... if you love the franchise or are a new player then get this game at all costs it will provide hours of fun with the 2 main most unique playthroughs coming from a Central European country such as Austria or (my personal favorite) Bohemia, or as WesternEverything about this is an improvement over EU3, the mechanics the coalition system the ways the governance benefits change etc etc etc... if you love the franchise or are a new player then get this game at all costs it will provide hours of fun with the 2 main most unique playthroughs coming from a Central European country such as Austria or (my personal favorite) Bohemia, or as Western European colonizing country such as GB France Spain. The game is addictive the AI is relentless and in the end you feel like a true conqueror for your insane worldly exploits that somehow made you come out on top with absolutely no forgiveness from the AI and hours worth of hard fought planning and scheming your way to greatness. However I wrote this reason for one reason and one reason only, f*ck you France. F*ck you so god da*n f*cking much... ALL Y'ALL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2014
    This is my second review on this game and I just wanna update a few points I didn't mention before.

First of all, to open the real door of this game, you need to active "Iron Man" mode in the option, which allow you to obtain achievements and also limit your saving file to only one. And during the game, it will auto save each month or when certain events happens. These setting will greatly alleviate pain of random dice issue in the war since in the most of case you will not put your army into a dangerous situation(or even in the balanced one) due to the fact you may win a battle but lose the war and there is only one record you can reload.

Secondly, I guess most of players who just played within 40h may the part of exploring and colonizing. As you see, the whole game map only get charted a small part, and a big world is waiting for you to discovery. Unfortunately, there is no words mentioned this fact in EU4 tutorial... Go youtube, and find a way to allow allow you to do so.

Last, I said technology upgrade is not that effective in my previous post, and that is totally wrong. Actually, their effects could became very obvious, especially when your tech tie is over other by 2 or more( at least, it is very true for military tech line). And normally, you can't over tech other countries too much as there is a limitation/roof for each tech line could reach in the certain age unless you are willing to expend substantially extra points and time for that.

By understanding all these design rules, I think it is worth a score of 8. However, this deep depth will restraint a lot of people to find the fun from the game. After all, most of the reviewer of this game who give 9/10 score are very likely to fail to understand these rules& complicity but do the comparison superficially.

Anyway, the Paradox game seems to be designed for player to learn not play in their first 50h :)
  41. Mar 26, 2014
    If you have a family, friends or a job this game is not for you. Most epic strategy experience you can get. Its hard to learn, but once you get it youll love it. GG Paradox, will await more.
  42. Dec 1, 2015
    Europa Universalis 4 is a game that I want to like, but that I just cant due to a number of different issues. From a severe reliance on RNG to inconsistent AI competence, the game just irritates me whenever I try to play it to the point where I don't enjoy it. The large amount of DLC with features that have large effect on the base game don't help either.

By far the worst problem with

By far the worst problem with the game is the AI. Like others have said, the multiplayer is barely functional, so this is a primarily single-player game. What does a single-player game need? AI that is both intelligent and consistent. Instead, it ranges from being near-brain-dead to nonsensically clairvoyant. The AI will frequently march armies back and forth between two provinces while their country gets occupied by a tiny force in comparison to theirs. They'll sign peace deals for idiotic things. I've seen Brittany force a Burgundy that annexed France to release France only to have France declare war on Brittany to vassalise them immediately after. Then there's attrition: AI are completely unaffected by attrition caused by troops that are not their own, frequently resulting in doomstacks of 100K+ men. The AI is unaffected by naval attrition entirely. They'll stupidly colonise provinces with no value while high-value ones are unclaimed. Then there's the flip side. Several small nations will manage to act as a single, cohesive force and win against impossible odds because their large enemy splits its armies into tiny chunks and never changes its strategy in reaction to its losses. The AI will know exactly when armies are coming and exactly when a country is in a weakened state, resulting in a dogpiling effect that destroys otherwise strong nations. Paradox decided to try and fix this by adding in a feature which gives bonuses to a country which is suffering, which offers massive benefits to large countries while giving small ones nothing.

Speaking of massive benefits to large countries while completely ignoring small ones, Paradox loves to do this. Larger countries get free diplomats, a no-upkeep general, and are somehow able to manage their larger administration more effectively than a small country can manage their smaller one. Larger countries also get benefits that change with their government type, such as conquered lands being more susceptible to pay taxes and contribute manpower. What do small countries get? Nothing. Worse, the larger countries get bonuses that specifically make it easier to peacefully vassalise and promptly annex the smaller countries without giving the smaller country a chance to become powerful. Then there are "lucky nations", which are significant bonuses which get applied to countries which were historically successful, just in case their overpowered "idea" bonuses, or the bonuses from their rich lands, or the bonuses from tailored missions and events weren't enough.

Then there are more general annoyances. The rivalry system for example, forces the AI to have as many rivals as possible even when it is completely against their strategic interests, resulting in things like Scotland fighting an independent Ireland rather than cooperating with them and leaving England to just show up and annex at their leisure. As mentioned, the heavy reliance on RNG in combat constantly results in losses that should have been victories. Then there's development, which rather than increasing slowly in a somewhat uniform manner with exceptions to areas of plenty such as large cities and trade centers, increases based on the expense of magical "monarch points" to conjure taxpayers and soldiers wherever one wises. This results in metropolises next to dirt hut villages and in ridiculous places like Shetland.

Finally, the DLC. Imagine if Bethesda released Dawnguard in parts: For $30, you can have the mechanical changes: such as vampirism, the quests, and crossbows. For $12, the dawnguard and vampire armour would come with the new models and textures rather than just looking like the base game's leather armour. For $4.50, you get the music from Dawnguard. Oh, and by the way, the game's mechanics were changed to be balanced around having crossbows and vampire attacks with the "free" patch shipped alongside the DLC, meaning the game is unbalanced if you don't have the mechanical changes DLC. If you choose not to update though, you won't get the included bug fixes or sparse optimisation and gameplay improvements. That's a total of $46.50 for the DLC included with ONE patch, for a $60 game. To top it off, mix in a hearty serving of game-breaking bugs, incompatible saves, crashing, and problems ranging all the way to being unable to even launch the game for at least a week after the patch. That would be Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC if it were made by Paradox.

Overall, I'd give the game a 4/10, because it shows potential, but nearly $240 (and counting) to play the full game leads me to believe that that potential will never be more than just potential.
  43. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm a big fan of strategy games but have always found it hard to find that special sense of satisfaction towards the end game. Many times conquering or in other ways dominating the world can be a repetitive and somewhat boring process. The Europa Universalis-series have been one out of a very few games delivering and with the latest version the team over at Paradox has made it easier thanI'm a big fan of strategy games but have always found it hard to find that special sense of satisfaction towards the end game. Many times conquering or in other ways dominating the world can be a repetitive and somewhat boring process. The Europa Universalis-series have been one out of a very few games delivering and with the latest version the team over at Paradox has made it easier than ever for new players to jump in. That said, this isn't a game for the casual player and the amount of information clearly surpasses games like Civilization. But for me, who don't mind some learning, planning and strategic thinking, it's as close to a PC-game blessing as is possible. The satisfaction of transforming an insignificant little European country in nowadays Germany or Italy into the worlds most powerful nation is immense. Expand
  44. Aug 19, 2013
    EU4 is a great improvement over the previous EU games, no longer is the game annoying and/or hard to get into, but way more fun than ever before, there are way less bugs this time, and I haven't encountered a single crash so far, a game of the year for me.
  45. Aug 20, 2013
    Been playing in-house developed Paradox games since the predecessor and this is their best release yet. This game gets a 10 from me because it's certainly a 9 already, knowing their patch and expansion support will last for years this game can not receive anything less than a maximum score from me.

The game series has never been for everyone but with this release I'd say it's gotten out of it's niche genre and into a acceptable place where anyone interested in strategy games could find an interest.

If you have the slightest interest in strategy games and history, TRY THE DEMO. The demo showcases the game perfectly.

My one complaint of the game is the spam of DLC that Crusader Kings 2 received and it looks like EU IV will follow in the same footsteps. Luckily the DLC is not necessary to play the game in any way and it's mostly cosmetic al.
  46. JtW
    Aug 21, 2013
    I am a Civilization fan dating back to Civilization I, and have played all the games in the series. Recently, the Brave New World expansion came out, and I loved it.

However, I decided to pre-order Europa Universalis 4 as well (never having played the earlier versions of the game). And guess what? I cannot go back to Civilization anymore! I love the depth of this game: the learning curve is steep, but manageable with the tutorials. And once you start to get what's going on... Let's just say, I've played 16 hours straight on my first session.

I also love painting alternative histories in my imagination while I play, and EU4 is just amazing for it.

I am also impressed by the general polish of the game on release. I have only encountered one minor bug so far, and also very little balance issues.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game to all strategy gamers.
  47. Sep 5, 2013
    Europa Universalis 4 is a masterpiece. It was already excellent on day one, and it will only improve as the expansions pop out. Buy it without a second thought. You will not regret it.
  48. Aug 24, 2013
    It's like playing history simulation on google maps, with deep and complex gameplay. Yet, very user friendly UI and smart hint system, makes it highly playable and easy to get in. Probably one of the best strategy games I've ever played.
  49. Aug 22, 2013
    Wow. And I thought that Crusader Kings were good and there is no more place for improvements in this greatest series of strategy games from Paradox. Its sometimes so nice to be wrong. I'm checking out every EU game and their clones (like HOI, Victoria etc) since EU1 and with few small exceptions and few bad ideas in my opinion this series is constantly improving! I have to say KUDOS myWow. And I thought that Crusader Kings were good and there is no more place for improvements in this greatest series of strategy games from Paradox. Its sometimes so nice to be wrong. I'm checking out every EU game and their clones (like HOI, Victoria etc) since EU1 and with few small exceptions and few bad ideas in my opinion this series is constantly improving! I have to say KUDOS my beloved Paradox and please surprise me even more in future improving things that are already good. Expand
  50. zlo
    Sep 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews, but I decided to do it this time. The game is a gem for anyone who enjoys empire building. Highlights: immersive historical strategy of the "must... play... one more turn" kind. Mechanics that are not dumbed down compared to other EU titles, but more intuitive to start using at a "basic" level", yet allowing for a wealth of optimization and tinkering as youI don't often write reviews, but I decided to do it this time. The game is a gem for anyone who enjoys empire building. Highlights: immersive historical strategy of the "must... play... one more turn" kind. Mechanics that are not dumbed down compared to other EU titles, but more intuitive to start using at a "basic" level", yet allowing for a wealth of optimization and tinkering as you become more advanced. The AI is pretty good, which is a really big thing for this type of game. Emotionally-charged "ironman" gameplay mode. Pretty graphics though it is mainly the strategy map you are looking at. Finally, it is in a polished state, which in this age of buggy beta releases also shows the studio's dedication and ethic. Honestly, if you like strategic thinking as a past-time this is the title for you. Just be sure you start with the tutorial, it'll take over 30 minutes but really covers everything you need to know to get started. Expand
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    I have several Paradox Interactive games and they really hit the mark on this game as far as the balance between complexity and playability. They got rid of many of the things that really held back EU III. First of all, the UI looks so much better and the graphics are beautiful especially for a grand strategy game. Some people will complain about how there is less to control in this gameI have several Paradox Interactive games and they really hit the mark on this game as far as the balance between complexity and playability. They got rid of many of the things that really held back EU III. First of all, the UI looks so much better and the graphics are beautiful especially for a grand strategy game. Some people will complain about how there is less to control in this game compared to the past games of the series, however I feel like this is a positive thing because the things that I actually can control make a difference to the country I'm controlling. Before it really felt like I was a bystander and could only do so much, but now I feel like you have much more freedom as a player. Also a lot of the particularly annoying things (for example: pirates) are gone or much reduced in EU IV. The only negative in this game is how long it takes to load up when you start it. Expand
  52. Aug 18, 2013
    Other than the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge rebel groups that sometime appear and ruin the game I'm starting to enjoy this more and more. However I really do think you should be able to spend cash for research boosts.
  53. Aug 31, 2013
    The text is not sharp or big enough at 1920x1080 resolution. Too bad that they make such a good game but can't solve basic problems that existed in previous games.
  54. Aug 29, 2013
    EU IV for me is one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the year. I’ve played all the previous instalments and just couldn’t wait for a sequel. Now we have it, and it’s great. For the most part.

It’s still the good ol’ EU, with some improvements in graphics and UI departments, and many new bells and whistles. The new game engine we know from Crusader Kings II is much more eye appealing than the oh-my-God-it’s-so-ugly EU III. UI is much more streamlined and isn’t as over-cluttered as before, and aims to make the player’s life easier. Some game mechanics are overhauled, some new are introduced, some are abandoned, but the game as a whole seems very well thought out. Again, for the most part.

I have a feeling that you as a player have less direct, and more of an indirect influence on the functioning of your country of choice. For example, unlike before when you could compete for trade virtually anywhere in the world, now your country can net trade profits only in a couple of hubs, so you must steer trade flow to benefit those hubs, while your opponents will try to over-steer your efforts in a different direction. It’s an interesting mechanic that directs gameplay in new and interesting ways. Trade income, tax income, tariffs and so on, everything is automated now, and you as a ruler have only indirect influence on money earning and spending. All this is new and good, and once you get used to the new system, you can exploit it to great effects.

Diplomacy was always the weakest link in the EU chain, and that hasn’t changed. We got rid of spies from EU III (and good riddance it is), and the new envoys mechanics are great. Now we have option of making coalitions, a viable way for small guys to survive in the neighbourhood of a big, bad aggressor. But peace-making mechanics are more broken than ever, and sooner or later you’ll find yourself in situation where you can’t possibly (I mean, literally, theoretically) make peace, so you’ll get stuck with an endless war that will break your country sooner or later. Only option is to loose (and badly) on purpose, or load an earlier saved game.

For example, I play as Sweden, declare war on some single-province German state and puff, I have on my hands a war with half a Europe. OK, fine, but now Turkey (of all things) is in charge, and even if I crush the little German fellow, I can’t make peace unless I crush the Turks as well. I have no chance of marching across the entire (hostile) continent and winning anything, so there you have it, an endless war. They can’t beat me, I can’t beat them, and AI doesn’t seems to accept white peace any more. Even if I offer ceding some provinces and what-nots in situation when war score is positive for me, it’s a no go.

So there you have it, a brand new Europa Universalis game. Somewhat broken, but still one of the best strategy games available today. I think I’ll wait for a couple of patches and let them fix stuff before I start playing it again, because, as things stand right now, it can get really frustrating, and that beats the game’s entire purpose having fun.
  55. Aug 13, 2013
    The huge depth and the cheer size of the map makes this game one of the best games I've ever played, and with 300+ hours spent on Crusader Kings 2, I bet I got plenty of game time ahead of me.
  56. Aug 14, 2013
    Paradox have done something amazing here. I dont' refer the quality of the quality of the game (although that's superb too), but they've managed to make the game easier to understand, and welcoming to new players, and retained all of the depth and complexity that made the EU series great.
    If you're a fan of the Total War games, and wished the campaign map felt as deep as the battle map, give this a try. It's worth it!!!
  57. Aug 19, 2013
    Very nice strategy game, this one is the forth iteration of the series so you can be sure they got their together, and they delivered a solid title, and whats more the game is very friendly to modders because the company that make the game is not a corporate whore all about money, they even offered crusaders king 2 as a gift when you buy EU 4, so you can be sure a plethora of Mods areVery nice strategy game, this one is the forth iteration of the series so you can be sure they got their together, and they delivered a solid title, and whats more the game is very friendly to modders because the company that make the game is not a corporate whore all about money, they even offered crusaders king 2 as a gift when you buy EU 4, so you can be sure a plethora of Mods are going to be out to flesh out the game and make it more interesting Expand
  58. Sep 2, 2013
    Somewhat disappointing. My expectations were quite high, and unfortunately the game did not live up to them. From the mechanics point of view there are a couple of steps back or things missing compared to the previous EU3. Probably leaving space for future DLC (and there are already a dozen of them out, the game being a month old).
    And then there is the issue with the ancient
    And then there is the issue with the ancient engine/interface. Barely any options to setup the graphical detail, bitmap fonts not scaling with resolution and other small things like that.

I think with time, patches and DLC content, the game might some day become really good, bit it is not there yet.
  59. Sep 5, 2013
    Great improvement over the EU3 with new trade system, better graphics and the interesting monarch points system. Release version is bug-free and quite balanced.
  60. Aug 13, 2013
    Great game. The fourth iteration of Europa Universalis is the best Paradox game to date. I played more than 5 hours on first day of release and the game was stable, fast and better looking then their previous titles.
  61. Aug 14, 2013
    EU4 have lived up to my expectations of it.

EU4 have lived up to my expectations of it.

First of i would like to mention Multiplayer. It's much easier to set up a multiplayer game, and doesn't take ages to get the game going. Personally i have had a few desync and one time where my game completely stopped at a certain date, while the guy i played with just continued. But this have happened in 13 hours of gaming, so it's only a few times it have been an annoyance. This leads me to a thing that is MUCH better than any other Paradox game so far: It's extremely easy to rejoin. Saves you ALOT of time.

The new trade system gives something to do in that ain't just conquering the whole world. I have so far had fun trying to boost my homenodes value as much as possible, by leading trade to it, and colonizing the new world.

I kind of got mixed feelings about the new monarch point system, but i think it's mostly just because i have to get used to it, since i don't dislike it. It can feel extremely demotivating when you get 3 terrible monarchs in a row, since you get FAR behind other nations, and can't really do much about it. The advisors can try to make it a bit better, but nothing can really save you from a 0 0 0 monarch. But in the long run it seems like there's enough monarch points for everything, as long as you don't throw them around everytime you see somewhere you can spend them.

In short: I like the game alot, and would gladly recommend it. If you fail at first, just try again since you will get the hang of it sooner or later.
  62. Sep 2, 2013
    Not only does Paradox Interactive have a winner in Europa Universalis IV, it is easily the best strategy game I have ever played on the computer. The high ratings this game is garnering in reviews are justified. Though having some minor changes to the mechanics, such as over extension, which drive a player crazy, overall, it is a game I plan to play over and over again. I look forward toNot only does Paradox Interactive have a winner in Europa Universalis IV, it is easily the best strategy game I have ever played on the computer. The high ratings this game is garnering in reviews are justified. Though having some minor changes to the mechanics, such as over extension, which drive a player crazy, overall, it is a game I plan to play over and over again. I look forward to future DLC, hoping to see both China and Japan specific events, as well as events for the Holy Roman Empire, Russia, and maybe more Native American events in the future. Expand
  63. Dec 27, 2013
    I love Paradox, and Europa, Crusader Kings etc. However, this felt like a total disgrace to the series.
    It is awkward to begin with and yet it also manages to dump itself down considerably. But do not fear...
    We get coalitions! Which just doesn't work. I would be happy if neighbour states in fear of you formed these, but Ohhh no! It doesn't work by fear it doesn't work by how much

We get coalitions!
    Which just doesn't work. I would be happy if neighbour states in fear of you formed these, but Ohhh no! It doesn't work by fear it doesn't work by how much you want to war with them either.
    It works by "over extension" ie. if you have too many uncored provinces.
    What?
    Yes! Totally understandable why say France, with no colonies is mad at me Britain, in having too many uncored colonies.. Ofcourse! This totally effects them.

Don't worry though we still have a Austria-dominant HRE which is always formed.
    And don't worry! France always acquires parts of Spain, and Spain, Portugal.
    And don't worry! We get an over-powered Denmark who can quite easily form Scandinavia.

Culture change is super easy now too, and no matter what, your nation will always end up technologically in-advanced.

No new provinces are introduced as far as I can tell and even better we are limited to having so many relations!

The only good part is the CK2 EU4 converter, everything else is the exact same.
    A waste of money. If you want this game: Buy Europa Universalis III
  64. Nov 28, 2013
    A lot of gamers here complain that the game is hard and difficult to play, but the truth is quite the opposite !
    To me, it feels just like a complex version of Risk! Here lies the problem for me... This game could have been so much better it feels just like a remake of an european cult classic by the holywood producers...
    Where is the internal dynamics of the state there is none..
    Where is the internal dynamics of the state there is none.. Where is the charm of the eras played through the game? (Renaissance, baroque) Where are the strategical and tactical elements of the battles played?... and so, on so on.. Nice graphics though..
  65. Aug 16, 2013
    This is grand strategy at it's finest. Long time Paradox fans will find this piece of armchair general candy the best tasting yet, and newcomers will never be as welcomed. The newly streamlined gameplay makes everything you do a bit more understandable, but doesn't make the game shallow in the least bit, quite the contrary. You could play the old games for hundreds of hours and still beThis is grand strategy at it's finest. Long time Paradox fans will find this piece of armchair general candy the best tasting yet, and newcomers will never be as welcomed. The newly streamlined gameplay makes everything you do a bit more understandable, but doesn't make the game shallow in the least bit, quite the contrary. You could play the old games for hundreds of hours and still be guessing in the dark at some of the hidden gameplay mechanics that went on beneath all the decisions you made and buttons you pressed. Now after only a few hours you can have a well rounded understanding of the game as a whole, which makes it much more enjoyable in the sense that you can easily formulate your strategies and never have to question what's going on. A good example of this would be the new trade system that's set up. Your power in a trade node is determined by three very well spelled out things, how many trade effecting ships you have protecting trade in the node, how much power your own provinces output to the node, and your nation's overall trade efficiency which is dependent on how much priority you put on trade, among other things. In the older games, particularly EU3, figuring out what was going on in the world markets was like navigating through a gator infested swamp at night, you'd throw your merchants where you hoped they would do best and pray you didn't ruin your economy with your choices. That is just one of many things that's been improved though. I speak from the heart when I say the new idea and national values system is one of the sexiest things ever introduced in strategy gaming. It actually makes nations feel like the nation your playing, a minor problem I've always had with Paradox games back in the day. If you're playing as Great Britain now, you'll easily have the best navy around, likewise if you're playing as Russia you'll have 10x the manpower reserves of any regular sized nation, and kickin' cossacks to boot. I could literally go on and on about the improvements they've made thus far, but I believe that's better left for people's own opinions and the such so I'm going to stop it right here. It's a proud time for the grand strategy gamers though, a proud time indeed. Expand
  66. Aug 28, 2013
    Paradox's most polish game up to date! There are still minor and major topographical, historical and A.I. issues, but they made their game highly enjoyable, and polished this time. I can recommend it to every strategy fan. It can be difficult, but also a lot of fun!
  67. Aug 15, 2013
    Another awesome game from paradox! A great improvement from EU3. But CK2 is still my favourite!Amazing game that really makes Civilization 5 look kind of boring in comparison.
  68. Lib
    Sep 7, 2013
    Another amazing Paradox grand strategy. I'd play this for hours. I hope Paradox Interactive will make Hearts of Iron 4 and Victoria 3 on this engine. Da.
  69. Aug 20, 2013
    Europa Universalis IV incorporates some of the elements presented by its predecessor, while bringing new, great features into the franchise. The revamped trade mode throws into the mixture a new and enjoyable way to achieve economic domination while the new monarch points system causes you to face some fantastic trade-offs in the path to world hegemonic power.
  70. Aug 19, 2013
    It's a niche game, for a niche audience, but boy does it do what it sets out to do. While most other Paradox titles are fraught with poorly conceived release schedules and underwhelming technical support in their first days, Europa Universalis IV breaks the trend and shows that Paradox Development Studios is both capable and willing to produce high-quality games. The game itself is aIt's a niche game, for a niche audience, but boy does it do what it sets out to do. While most other Paradox titles are fraught with poorly conceived release schedules and underwhelming technical support in their first days, Europa Universalis IV breaks the trend and shows that Paradox Development Studios is both capable and willing to produce high-quality games. The game itself is a wonderful exploration of nearly four-hundred years of human history, all of which is malleable to your will. Conquer the world, or simply strive to eke out an existence among the greater powers. Like other Paradox games it's greatest strength is in the game's dynamic flow and story: the only victory conditions are those you set for yourself, which lends the game a near infinite amount of replayability. If you enjoy other Paradox Games you will most likely find yourself having a great time with this title.

However, I must also warn you: the game is a complex array of mechanics and ideas and is absolutely not to everyone's speed. But it is quality enough that I would recommend the demo to everyone.
  71. Aug 14, 2013
    Awesome game from paradox! A great improvement from EU3. Paradox has stepped up its game and EU4 is playable on day 1 which given paradox's track record comes as a glad surprise.

Paradox has continued its system with DLCs and only time will tell how this will work out.
  72. Aug 18, 2013
    As an avid fan of Paradox's previous Grand Strategy games, I thought Victoria II was as good as the genre could get. I was wrong. While, like its predecessors, Europa Universalis never gives the economy the complex handling it deserves, in its military, diplomatic and espionage aspects the game stands head and shoulders above anything else in the market today. Loved every second I spentAs an avid fan of Paradox's previous Grand Strategy games, I thought Victoria II was as good as the genre could get. I was wrong. While, like its predecessors, Europa Universalis never gives the economy the complex handling it deserves, in its military, diplomatic and espionage aspects the game stands head and shoulders above anything else in the market today. Loved every second I spent playing this. Expand
  73. Sep 10, 2013
    This is not a bad game but it is a significant downgrade from EU3.

This is not a bad game but it is a significant downgrade from EU3.

My biggest problem is that the gameplay feels extremely game-y. The technology system is beyond ridiculous. A country that invests heavily in colonial technology will exhaust all of its "diplomatic points" and will have terrible ship technology, which is absurd. Likewise a country that constantly goes to war will exhaust all its "military points" and end up with terrible military technology, which is the opposite of what should happen in reality.

I understand why Paradox did this to prevent big countries from getting to much momentum and eating all the little ones. However, it doesn't work, since all the same countries that dominated in EU3 will still dominate in EU4. Likewise, it forces the player to spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing, since the points system rewards passiveness and punishes any sort of player action. This is especially true with non-European countries who get hit with -1 tech points.

The game also weakens the player's ability to control his country's direction, compared to EU3. No longer are there sliders. Much of your nation's success will come from your monarch's statistics (pure luck) as well as luck with the CONSTANT random events.

It also suffers from the exact same major problems as EU3, none of which Paradox bothered to fix: easily abusable enemy AI and "blobbing" by countries like France and the Ottomans.

Pros:
    + Easy to learn for new players
    + Good music

Cons:
    - Less intuitive technology system than EU3
    - Same AI problems as EU3 (especially with regards to troop movement)
    - Historically unrealistic domination by the same countries as in EU3 (France, Ottomans, Ming)
    - Too many random events take control out of the hands of the player
    - Lack of any significant gameplay improvements from its predecessor, in fact a downgrade when playing non-Western countries
    - Game rewards passive play through the points system
  74. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is gonna make your head, eyes and back hurt, it's gonna eat your life away and give you insomnia. If you have a life, stay away, if you have time to waste, this is the game for you!
  75. Sep 23, 2013
    Grand strategy games tend to have a very niche audience, but Paradox has come a long way in making them more accessible without removing features or complexity. If you're new to these games don't worry. The EU tutorial is one of Paradox's best and will give you a good start, though there will be plenty you have to learn for yourself. The main draw of EU4 is that it's an open sandboxGrand strategy games tend to have a very niche audience, but Paradox has come a long way in making them more accessible without removing features or complexity. If you're new to these games don't worry. The EU tutorial is one of Paradox's best and will give you a good start, though there will be plenty you have to learn for yourself. The main draw of EU4 is that it's an open sandbox play as any of the major nations like England or France, or play as a small country in SE Asia or an American Indian tribe. There are no real win conditions, and you can play however you like. Some countries have historical events that happen to them, or events that only happen under certain conditions, so no two games are ever alike. The only issues I have are that combat is still very spreadsheet oriented (you have more you win, generally), and that colonization is blazingly fast for certain countries, which can easily lead to power imbalance. Still, EU4 is a great game in the genre and if you're looking to lose a hundred hours of your life colonizing, converting heresy and fighting wars, this is the game to do it. Expand
  76. Sep 8, 2013
    Europa Universalis. Welcome back to my arms. Hold me. Don't ever let me go. The times we've had: Azteks vs Spain, Serbia and Bosnia vs the Ottomans. Japan vs French Colonials in Australia. My first explorer fleet sinking in the Pacific.

The system this game uses is very deep, feels very authentic and realistic. You just can't "zerg" the world and expect to not crumble to pieces whilst trying to hold it all together. The game really rewards the sly player, the bold player and punishes those with no patience.

And while being a very deep game, the whole menu system really is easy to navigate and not at all hard to understand. Give it an hour and all will be understood. Maybe two. And then the game will suck you in. Even the most mundane country suddenly start to feel interesting, you find enemies and friends. And after that, you notice the clock is 5 in the morning and you have work.

Damnit.

But worth it.

Over and out, guys
  77. Sep 17, 2013
    What a fantastic game. It is utterly engrossing. If you are a fan of civil 4 then you will love this game. An addictive masterpiece. It looks good too. The biggest down side is that it is too hard to stop playing once you get into a game. I have never played an EU game before. It took me about about 5-7 hours to learn how to play. It was a worthy investment and one I don't think anyWhat a fantastic game. It is utterly engrossing. If you are a fan of civil 4 then you will love this game. An addictive masterpiece. It looks good too. The biggest down side is that it is too hard to stop playing once you get into a game. I have never played an EU game before. It took me about about 5-7 hours to learn how to play. It was a worthy investment and one I don't think any serious arm chair emperor would regret. Expand
  78. Sep 26, 2013
    Another great game from Paradox. Im more of a Crusader Kings guy, but this game is still great. If you are into grand strategy make sure you pick this up.
  79. Sep 14, 2013
    Paradox somehow managed to keep this game incredibly grognardy, while at that same time smoothing out the learning and accessibility curve. Where are the normal paradox launch bugs? This game has been smooth and solid.
  80. Mar 29, 2014
    Having never played an EU title previously, I can can hands down say that I am now hooked on this franchise (along with Crusader Kings). I have played the Total War series of games for years and enjoyed them for the most part, but this game has opened my eyes to how detailed and in-depth a strategy game can really be. OK, you don't get the fancy battle scenes like the TW series but, youHaving never played an EU title previously, I can can hands down say that I am now hooked on this franchise (along with Crusader Kings). I have played the Total War series of games for years and enjoyed them for the most part, but this game has opened my eyes to how detailed and in-depth a strategy game can really be. OK, you don't get the fancy battle scenes like the TW series but, you know something, I don't miss them. In fact, when I go back to TW, I miss the better strategy map and depth from EUIV than I miss the battles when playing EUIV. Now that basically says it all. Maybe it's an age thing, but you can stick all your fancy 3D graphics as far as I'm concerned - as I'd rather have this level depth and enjoyment any day of the week.

One word of warning, this can be a brutal experience for the uninitiated. Best thing to do is to start small and work your way up to a super power so you can learn the ropes, otherwise you'll just get frustrated in the early days of play. The amount of alliances and enemies you have to deal with when your one of the big guns can be overwhelming at first.

Buy this. You owe it to yourself to witness one of the finest PC games in years.
  81. Dec 5, 2013
    After about an hour of looking at the world map of 1444 all its factions, religions, diplomatic entanglements (alliances, etc) and more I was finally confident enough to choose my first starting nation.

There is a lot going on in this game, don't let the simple graphics fool you. (Note: the demo is limited to Europe for some reason and makes the game appear smaller or simpler that it actually is.) Prepare to be educated if you've never played an EU game before, but I stuck it through and found that no two play-thrus are alike. Each play-thru is memorable and makes me want to go back and try a new strategy.

The tutorial could have been more in depth it did not prepare me whatsoever for the intricacies of the game.
  82. Sep 19, 2013
    Incredible! Just impressed by the new EU IV! I had enjoyed the preceding title a lot, and this one just becomes better. They simplified aspects that needed simplification, and made some things and mechanics even more interesting like trade, the ideas and technology system etc. without making all that too over complicated, confusing or buggy.

This game is just perfect, it deserves a 10!
  83. Sep 23, 2013
    The best Paradox game so far, and I've played a bunch of them. Micromanaging is solved in an elegant way so you don't have to spend much time building new buildings (can do it from a fancy building map or directly from the ledger), you can convert provinces religion or make new cores directly from a list, and you don't have to micromanage the trade neither. To be successful on trade you'llThe best Paradox game so far, and I've played a bunch of them. Micromanaging is solved in an elegant way so you don't have to spend much time building new buildings (can do it from a fancy building map or directly from the ledger), you can convert provinces religion or make new cores directly from a list, and you don't have to micromanage the trade neither. To be successful on trade you'll have to plan your empire growth on the long term, and eventually build a big light ships fleet, also some national decisions help, but you will only need to give new orders to your traders once in decades.
    Armies can be set to auto defeat rebels, so when they appear anywhere in your country that army will seek and destroy them.
    The only thing you have to micromanage as much as before is your armies during a war.
    Diplomacy is amazing, now you can know exactly why the others empires likes you or why they don't, and act consequently.
    The game is so awesome I had to uninstall it as I was playing more than 12 hours a day for several days.
  84. Oct 1, 2013
    Brilliant strategy game, best title from Paradox in years. It feels somewhat "easier" to get into then previous games, and it's addicting as hell. Lots of decisions (strategic and tactical) makes the game hard but very fun to play. My only complain is interface, on 1080 resoultion text is very small and font doesn't make it easier to read, BUT you have mods to fix this issue.

9/10 One

9/10 One of the best strategy titles on PC. Must play.
  85. Sep 13, 2013
    Its a great time playing this game. This game is really good! Paradox Interactive have finally come up with a new game that is properly programmed and executed perfectly in every aspects of the game. This game deserves a way better rating than 85 out of 100. Hope Europa Universalis V comes up in the near future with more better amazing things to play and explore.
  86. Sep 16, 2013
    Brilliant, just brilliant. I highly recommend you buy this game if you enjoy strategy games, because this is the grandest, most complete and comprehensive strategy game I have played so far. It's surprisingly simple to pick up and always entertaining with endless choices, a must have indeed.
  87. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 Expand
  88. Sep 24, 2013
    This is a fantastic game and it corrects some of the problems with EUIII. Your nation is now more reliant on your monarch and while some find this frustrating, it definitely makes for a more interesting game. In EUIII, anyone could overcome a bad ruler with little effort. Really, anyone with a decent amount of experience could by mid-game dominate EUIII. EUIV corrects this problem byThis is a fantastic game and it corrects some of the problems with EUIII. Your nation is now more reliant on your monarch and while some find this frustrating, it definitely makes for a more interesting game. In EUIII, anyone could overcome a bad ruler with little effort. Really, anyone with a decent amount of experience could by mid-game dominate EUIII. EUIV corrects this problem by tying your ruler more closely with your nations fortunes. A bad ruler will make it hard for your country to advance, conduct war and keep stability. It is frustrating fantastic.

Overall I am very happy with it and it feels like a matured EUIII. For those that are new to the series, the learning curve is the fun part. Stick with it a few dozen hours and you will begin to understand the depth and mechanics.

I did give it a 9 because it is still needing some content additions which I'm sure will come in the form of free patches or paid DLC. Some of the countries have a generic feel. With a game this massive, I would think it to be impossible to make every country historically unique, but there is room to grow, hence the 9.

Last note, special thanks to Paradox for publishing this to Linux. As a Linux user for about a decade, Paradox games were the one wish I had for gaming. Their support is amazing and appreciated.
  89. Sep 28, 2013
    It's deffinitely the best strategy game of the year. It's big, it's smart, historical and epic. Paradox Interactive did a great job. I've been playing their games since EU2. And it's stlii great. Hold your course PI.
  90. Nov 7, 2013
    The learning curve for this game is huge but the pay off when you understand the complexities will be in hundreds of hours of quality game play. While no game is perfect Europa Universalis IV (EU4) delivers on what it is selling and rewards those with the patience and desire to put their mark on an alternate telling of the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery. Be wary of the DLCs,The learning curve for this game is huge but the pay off when you understand the complexities will be in hundreds of hours of quality game play. While no game is perfect Europa Universalis IV (EU4) delivers on what it is selling and rewards those with the patience and desire to put their mark on an alternate telling of the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery. Be wary of the DLCs, though. Most do not impact game play and are a little steep ($5+) for what they deliver. Wait for a sale or a heartfelt decision on your part on if you require to see your little army man look different than every other persons army man on the chance you accidentally zoom in close enough to see them. Expand
  91. Feb 14, 2014
    Well, I spent around 400 hours with this game so far. 400 real time, pure hours with computer game and I have to say I am happy for it. I learnt great deal of history out of that. This is one of few games that deserve adjective "historical". It isn't as pretty as other grand strategies around (not naming), but that's not where the strength of EU lies. It doesn't have eye candylikeWell, I spent around 400 hours with this game so far. 400 real time, pure hours with computer game and I have to say I am happy for it. I learnt great deal of history out of that. This is one of few games that deserve adjective "historical". It isn't as pretty as other grand strategies around (not naming), but that's not where the strength of EU lies. It doesn't have eye candylike animations, nor effects, it has tens of statistics. Now all these statistics are realistic - you have administrative points, which accumulate if not being used depending mainly of how clever the ruler is. You use these points to increase overall stability of the realm. === it simlulates huge effort which countries had to do to stabilize their realm and they couldn't do it if they focused at the same time on other things like "coring" (or assimilating) new lands into the country.
    -----
    With deal of imagination and creative thinking, you can find the most accurate history simulation out there.
    ----- Ratings: -----
    * AI 9/10 (AI is vastly better programmed than similar games and will offer challange for hundreads of hours)
    * Graphics 6/10 (You see the map strategically, you cannot enter battles, you cannot fully see your cities, at the same time you see loads of details of the world. You may fall in love with seazon changes around the world, freezing lakes and rivers or blooming trees)
    * Histocial accuracy 9/10
    * Realism 9/10
    * Gameplay 9/10
  92. Oct 25, 2013
    Europa Univeralis IV is a masterpiece. This series has risen by leaps and bounds. I have always searched for a genuine historical strategy game. Europa Univeralis IV is that. You can play as one of hundreds of historical countries. While some systems could be more advanced (like the economics and demographics of provinces) the game accurately portrays the age of exploration, colonization,Europa Univeralis IV is a masterpiece. This series has risen by leaps and bounds. I have always searched for a genuine historical strategy game. Europa Univeralis IV is that. You can play as one of hundreds of historical countries. While some systems could be more advanced (like the economics and demographics of provinces) the game accurately portrays the age of exploration, colonization, and enlightenment. Expand
  93. Feb 19, 2015
    Good strategic game with lots to take care of. But way to much negative point, the tutorial mission are useless which make it really hard to understand that complex game. There is a lots of grammar mistake in the French version, and the text is way to small in 1920 p .
  94. Dec 9, 2013
    Picked this up in a recent steam sale. I hadn't played any of the previous EU games and gave the reviews a read before jumping in and was overwhelmed by how positive they are.

The best word I can use to describe this game is obtuse. It is extremely unforgiving of any early players. So what anyone, who hasn't played the early versions, needs to know is that this game requires a lot of time to get to grips with. I personally picked this up for a laptop game to play whilst travelling and just can't be bothered to master it's overly complicated UI and subtle nuances. For those willing to invest the time I'm sure all these 10s are deserving but if you are looking for something Enjoyable right off the bat keep looking. This game will mock you with it's overly complex UI and seemingly inane strategy system.

Im still at the point after about 5 hours where everything feels random earlier today an army of 20k English troops got decimated by a Lancashire revolt of 6k. I met them on a plane and they just fought through me like I wasn't there. It's unexplained stuff like this that gets me. The game requires you to go hunting for the stat that caused this battle to go so very wrong, it won't show you or tell you why you lost that would be far to straight forward. As I say this is obtuse.

I imagine the 10s are from those who have managed to master it's subtleties but for anyone looking to jump in and play know you are in for a very hard time at first and if you aren't wiling to invest that time it will be an ultimately poor experience. That is how I have graded this game, no doubt I will have a fair few people moan 'how can i judge a game when i haven't committed to learn it blah blah blah blah). However there are probably others like me out there considering this game and I will say only buy if you have the time.
  95. Oct 29, 2015
    Europa Universalis is nearly brilliant. Nearly.

On the grand strategy level, it is beautiful; make alliances, arrange marriages, control trade, pirate your rivals' trade, colonise the primitive lands and more. But where it fails spectacularly is on the TACTICAL level. Which, if you plan on expanding by conquest, is major. The inherent problem with combat is that you have zero
    Europa Universalis is nearly brilliant. Nearly.

The inherent problem with combat is that you have zero control over it. You send in some armies and then everything is handled automatically. The problem with this is that the combat is SPECTACULARLY complex. And despite being complex and difficult, the only control you have is how many men you send into battle and whether or not they have a general leading them.

This means that you win or lose battles for entirely unknown reasons or by total random chance. The battle system is so complex that the only way people actually know anything about it is by delving into the code. Despite this, again, you have ZERO control. Worse yet, random chance can easily screw you over when you otherwise have an overwhelming advantage.

Unless you study the battle system like you study for your college exams, you have no chance of understanding it or how to win. This completely takes away from the rest of the game to the point where it just gets frustrating and no longer fun unless you have a strange obsession or literally have no life other than working and this game.

Of course, the combat becomes much easier when you get cannons. The secret to cannons? Get a **** ton of them. The more you have, the more likely you are to win. So have as many cannons as you have men in melee and you'll nearly always win. But until then, combat is spectacularly difficult without doing an immense amount of research and asking for immense amounts of help from people that have delved into the code.

Either pick a start date where cannons are already available or only fight when you have overwhelming numbers on your side.
  96. May 19, 2016
    Wow....all i can begin with is wow....the depth added to the game by all the dlc is truly worth spending your dosh. It is one hell of a game where you ca alter history and take over the world....best played with the extended timeline mod.
  97. Mar 6, 2014
    I've never experienced a game like it in its attention to historical detail. I've likewise never experienced a game like it in how little fun it is to play.

Paradox has produced a game that will entice the student of history in you, but will likely bore the rest of you. To begin with, EU4's presentation is nothing if not opaque. This time they've made more of an effort to document the mechanisms of play in tutorials (and a fifty-page manual), but these efforts are still grossly insufficient to meet the punishing learning curve. Without constant reference to the wiki or official forums, a new player will be hopelessly lost. Despite what Paradox grognards seem to believe, this is not a positive feature.

Ultimately, should you invest the 10+ hours needed to arm yourself with the basic understanding needed to play at all, you will be left with an intensely hollow experience. In the long run, it can be a joy to see your plans come to fruition, but in the interim, you will be left with a lot of clock-watching and empty busywork as the game continues to bombard you with trivial pop-ups for mundane tasks that, irritatingly, cannot be left on autopilot (the Curia control system is most egregious in this regard). The sheer volume of flags, however, belie their emptiness - there's very little fun to be had in maintaining your empire while waiting for your next opportunity to strike.

For all the Europa Universalis series has been billed as part of the military strategy genre, the warfare is incredibly shallow. There are virtually no tactics involved in prosecuting a war; in some cases terrain may aid a defender, but neither logistics nor heroics are any match for economics in EU's world. Ultimately, this is a game of diplomacy - of decades-long plans to inveigle certain nations into attacking you only to be crushed, of forming royal marriages for the sake of later usurping that nation's throne, of excising provinces from a rival empire over and over again until it is small enough to be vassalized. That description gives the game an air of intrigue and mystery, but make no mistake: the game has all the mystique (and presentation) of an Excel spreadsheet.

The actual mechanics of play are deceptively simplistic - success in this game relies on diplomatic strategy, but shaping a good strategy relies on an intense, almost professional understanding of the game's unexplained and often invisible logic. That's not even bringing the unfair and unpredictable nature of random events (such as the infamous comet) into the discussion. Ultimately, the best strategies are those that play to the AI's weaknesses and the idiosyncracies of the game mechanics. Though carrying out your strategy requires nothing more strenuous than navigation through a few menus, it is a long process of trial and error to determine which buttons to push and when, and the best methods are often counter-intuitive (if not totally illogical). For instance, the Overextension mechanics restrict the number of provinces you can hope to gain in war to such an extent that the only way to expand with any speed is by integrating vassals and junior partners - and God help you if you attempt to make use of those game mechanics without several hours of wiki-crawling and a few Paradox forum threads.

The Metacritic score for this game is extremely misleading: despite Paradox's obvious attempt to reach out to new players with polished graphics and tutorials, Europa Universalis IV is not a game that anyone outside its niche will enjoy. Paradox's grand plan for its strategy game lines is essentially to sell slight variations on the same game over and over again to a hard core of devoted fans. Those who enjoy this game are those who do not flinch at the unforgiving, opaque, tedious, and frustrating nature of the experience. For players who are not willing to spend 100+ hours clicking flags, who don't mind watching dozens of hours of work go up in smoke after a couple of random events pop, or who have no objections to constantly alt-tabbing to outside information resources, this game must be Heaven. For the rest of us, it's reminiscent of someplace altogether different.
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    I have to agree with the posters that say the text is far too small, and really the whole UI is way to small. It's like paradox is trying to show off as much of their map as possible, but it's really unspectacular anyway. Horrible, tiny, little icons spread all the way around the map, things should be centralized to one side, or two at most.

This is a really slow game, very hard to

This is a really slow game, very hard to get into unlike other games where you can hop right in, pick it up more or less right away, and only have to learn about or research a few alien principals or gameplay mechanics. I'm sure it's satisfying for those that enjoy it, but it's DEFINITELY not created in a way that will appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers and gaming styles.

Bottom line: both the game and the gameplay need to be a lot more inviting and user friendly.
  99. Aug 14, 2013
    I would likely give EU4 an 8.5, however as no half scores are possible, I decided to round it up on account of the fact that I couldn't really think of a major problem that couldn't be fixed. One thing I will say is; this game is not for the faint of heart. Losing is almost always a very real possibility and the AI is better at dragging you back down that it was in previous iterations whenI would likely give EU4 an 8.5, however as no half scores are possible, I decided to round it up on account of the fact that I couldn't really think of a major problem that couldn't be fixed. One thing I will say is; this game is not for the faint of heart. Losing is almost always a very real possibility and the AI is better at dragging you back down that it was in previous iterations when you became too power.

It's also a little more new-player friendly than EU3 so far as I can tell, and it is a little easier to manipulate the AI than in just about every other Paradox Title ever (which is a good thing). All in all, if you're a fan of Paradox titles, or Grand Strategy in general, definitely worth checking this game out. There are many hours of enjoyment to be had, even for returning EU3 customers.
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    I have no idea how people can give this a rating after having played it for less than 24 hours. I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing so far and have put a few hours into it. I put a 9 for now but I'll adjust in a bit once I get a better feel for the game.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Once players overcome the initial learning curve, Europa Universalis IV will prove a memorable strategy experience that provides as much fun stories as it does sheer tactical complexity.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2013
    Somehow retains the series' trademark braininess and complexity while being clearer, simpler and far more fun. [Nov 2013, p.92]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 24, 2013
    The ultimate strategic simulator of an early modern history state with wide options for both success and failure. Do you want to unite Britain under Scotland, thwart the Spanish Reconquista or maintain the Inca empire? Suit yourself. [Issue#234]