8.7

1. Aug 13, 2013
    WOW! For about ten years Paradox Development have been a small team of nice guys working hard to give us good games and mostly failing. Their games have been for the most part tedious, pretentious and ugly, with cluttered mechanisms, and hideous micromanagement. Most of the Paradox efforts suffered from terrible tutorials and ridiculous learning curved that discouraged any vaguely casual gamers. But beyond inaccessibility, the games were finally not that good, because even when you figured out the mechanisms they were still too MECHANICAL: not even really worth learning in the end because they were all variations of a sausage machine. However something miraculous happened with Crusaders Kings 2, and echoes of the good things we saw in earlier games (Hearts of Iron 2) reappeared: Better looking graphics. Simpler, yet DEEPER gameplay. The machine kept churning away but Paradox learned to save us from the worst of it, and the gameplay began to blossom. Europa Universalis IV seems to demonstrate that Paradox has really turned the corner. The game is beautiful. Gameplay is fluid. The depth and complication is welcome, but it has been softened with a more thoughtful and gaming friendly structure! GREAT WORK PARADOX! Good things take time, and your grand ambitions are finally bearing fruit. I'm very excited about where this will lead with the Hearts of Iron series, because all the design wisdom that we can see in CK2 and EU4 is leading in the absolute correct direction. If you love strategy gaming please go and buy this game and support this developer! This is a FAR, FAR superior game to Civilizations 1-5 as well as anything put out by Creative Assembly. It's been a long wait but worth it. Can't wait to see what we get when the final few pieces of the game design puzzle fall into place. If they get the budget to build something with a more solid multiplayer experience we will see the PERFECT game. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2013
    Best Paradox game to date. Multiplayer hotjoin added makes it the easiest grand strategy game to play with a friend.

Full of depth and history it will make CIV5 seem like child's play.
    With over 250 nations to play you will never be bored.
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    It may be a good game however there is one critical flaw. The text in the game (and this is a text heavy game!) is difficult to read at a resolution of 1900x1200 (native monitor resolution).

Until UI scaling is implemented the game its unplayable for any prolonged period of time. It will give you serious eyestrain if you have a high DPI monitor.
  4. Sep 18, 2013
    2nd Review: Giving it a 10 (+1 over 1st score). The 1920x1200 resolution small text has been fixed now too.

After 226 hours played, still playing got most the Ironman achievements with England. It really needs 100 hours just to get the hang of it all.

Game gets more and more amazing, the complexity the random factor means never will you have the same game twice (and I started
    Ironman about 20x until I got it just right).

Yes, one needs to speed time up when things are slow, but that's why there is a time shift. The complexity depends on starting nation. England has it easy on their little island, but try stopping Ottomans with Serbia for instance, or playing Native American tribes in Ironman.
  5. Aug 13, 2013
    EU4 is easily the best game in the series, taking all the best advancements of its previous iterations and expansions and melding them seamlessly with new features.

The tired (and highly flawed) trading system has been replaced with one that makes a lot more sense and keeps the game from getting out of hand (particularly during the end-game).

Income has been replaced with a single,
    monthly, number greatly increasing ease of understanding and economic planning. Some features, such as inflation have been dumbed down, which may or may not be of concern, but overall economics just feels better.

Technology sliders and certain diplomatic/administrative actions have been replaced by a three pronged point system, which again, streamlines ease of use, but more importantly, makes actions, like (the ever-popular) large-scale revolts, construction, and war exhaustion manageable and easier to visualize as real world paradigms.

This limited points system spills over into diplomacy, religion, and trade, with diplomats, missionaries, and merchants now a standing number non-replenishable over the months but available to send and call back from missions at will, which particularly with diplomats open more options.

Wars are shorter and more defined, and reinforce speed has been significantly decreased, meaning standing armies are more important. Losing a battle makes your units fall back several territories and prevents the ridiculous "cat-and-mouse" chases of yesteryear.

Overall, for those who are old hands of EU, this is a great new addition to the series, expanding on the best EU has to offer. For those who are new to series, this is the perfect entry to get your feet wet, with tool tips and explanations abound. Although complicated enough to be called a "grand strategy" game, EU4 is the perfect blend of complexity and design, but without the complication inherent in some other titles.
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    After about 25 hours I decided I'd had enough. I entirely appreciate the hard work and research that went into this game, but when I play a game I'm looking for entertainment, not a history lesson. The game's UI is overly complicated, and difficult to navigate. The tutorials are short and vague and don't really explain how to play the game. The gameplay is stiff and feels linear. When I play this game, it feels like I'm staring and watching the game play itself most of the time. One of the more exciting aspects of the game is clicking on a button to send a diplomat to another country, so you can watch a number climb on the diplomacy screen.. wtf? Feels more like a spreadsheet than a game. Expand
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    The huge depth and the cheer size of the map makes this game one of the best games I've ever played, and with 300+ hours spent on Crusader Kings 2, I bet I got plenty of game time ahead of me.
  8. Aug 16, 2013
    If you like your game to be clever, unpredictable & rewarding. If you are frustrated by CIV V & Total War's thin attempts at diplomacy. If you like astonishing depth & diversity. If you want to be awed by the intricate complexity & myriad ways to play. If you adore gorgeous maps an excellent interface & a huge numbers of options at your fingertips (get the larger font mod though). If you want to understand exactly why some manoeuvre went brilliantly or totally sideways. If you don't mind that the dev will continue to tweak the rules for years to come. If you want an army of devoted and frothing conquistadores massed in a thriving online community desperate to support you and if you're smart enough to endure the steep learning curve btw forget the manual just let Quill18 et al teach you on youtube. Then what are you waiting for? After 30 hours of play & 10 hours watching the experts show me I'm convinced this is THE grand strategy game I've been waiting for. Yeah baby Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    Love strategy, Gal Civ, Civ, TW, but it's the first time I've played a paradox game. It seems I really missed out on some of their earlier titles. If you like strategy, buy this game. It makes TW and Civ 5 seem like they are aimed at 6-10 year olds.
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    I only need 3 words to describe this masterpiece of a game; Gigantic, Beautiful and Addictive. This is a game that may not be for the weak of heart but once you get into it; damn, it's one of the best games you've ever played! Wanna do a campaign as the Ming empire? Sure... you can do that! Wanna unify Japan? Yep, you can do that too! This is a game where you can do pretty much everything! Strongly recommended! Expand
  11. Aug 13, 2013
    While the final expansion to EU3, Divine Wind, was less than stellar, taken as a whole EU3 was an impressive game and trying to improve upon it would be a daunting task for anyone. With EU4, Paradox has done just that, and it's clear that they've learned from the mistakes of Divine Wind. In short: buy EU4, you won't be disappointed.
  12. Aug 14, 2013
    EU4 have lived up to my expectations of it.

First of i would like to mention Multiplayer. It's much easier to set up a multiplayer game, and doesn't take ages to get the game going. Personally i have had a few desync and one time where my game completely stopped at a certain date, while the guy i played with just continued. But this have happened in 13 hours of gaming, so it's only a
    few times it have been an annoyance. This leads me to a thing that is MUCH better than any other Paradox game so far: It's extremely easy to rejoin. Saves you ALOT of time.

The new trade system gives something to do in that ain't just conquering the whole world. I have so far had fun trying to boost my homenodes value as much as possible, by leading trade to it, and colonizing the new world.

I kind of got mixed feelings about the new monarch point system, but i think it's mostly just because i have to get used to it, since i don't dislike it. It can feel extremely demotivating when you get 3 terrible monarchs in a row, since you get FAR behind other nations, and can't really do much about it. The advisors can try to make it a bit better, but nothing can really save you from a 0 0 0 monarch. But in the long run it seems like there's enough monarch points for everything, as long as you don't throw them around everytime you see somewhere you can spend them.

In short: I like the game alot, and would gladly recommend it. If you fail at first, just try again since you will get the hang of it sooner or later.
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    A masterpiece! One of the best strategy games I've ever played. EUIII was a very good game but full of flaws and boring mechanics. In EUIV, Paradox got a lot of that and corrected the way they should do it. It's not a perfect game, sure, but it got close. Correct the bugs, especially the achievements ones, and some minor problems, like England being too weak and France too powerfull, and voilá a 10 will be deserved. Right now, I am content with the 9. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2013
    It's like playing history simulation on google maps, with deep and complex gameplay. Yet, very user friendly UI and smart hint system, makes it highly playable and easy to get in. Probably one of the best strategy games I've ever played.
  15. Aug 22, 2013
    Wow. And I thought that Crusader Kings were good and there is no more place for improvements in this greatest series of strategy games from Paradox. Its sometimes so nice to be wrong. I'm checking out every EU game and their clones (like HOI, Victoria etc) since EU1 and with few small exceptions and few bad ideas in my opinion this series is constantly improving! I have to say KUDOS my beloved Paradox and please surprise me even more in future improving things that are already good. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2013
    I don`t usually give a 10/10 for games that still have minor flaws, but after i bought this game i think I have sunk almost all my free time in it. And the time flies and you realize you need to work, to eat. And this happened for days.

It is a splendid game, a marvel I might say, very well balanced, the difficulty scales with expansions, what can I say more than a superb strategy
    game.

And it scales in such a realistic way. For example, playing as the ottomans, I find out that after the initial blast, the powerful ottomans tend to remain behind in the 18th century and the 19th century, so even after i am one of the greatest power around the globe (land), I still consider if I should attack another nation. The coalition system and the technology points investment are so well designed that will enhance your gameplay with hard thought decisions. To invest in buildings, in technology, in expanding and so much more.

What can I say more than a strong 10/10. One of the best, if not the best strategy game i have ever played.
  17. Oct 20, 2013
    ---Rating--- Design: 4 /5 (good strategy gameplay, frustrating randomness, a few design issues) Polish: 4 /5 (graphics are acceptable given the game's nature, some bugs are present) Value: 5 /5 (huge map with excellent replay potential and emergent storytelling aspect) ---Review--- While Europa Universalis may never be as flashy from a technical or "eye candy" perspective as some other historical strategy titles, its fourth installment provides significantly more depth and freedom than any of those competitors. This is simply a must-play for history buffs, but otherwise it's a very solid and functional (cough, TWR2) grand strategy game with an emphasis on expansion and trade. Although the interface and controls are much more accessible than in previous iterations, some of the mechanics remain quite clunky; trade is heavily abstracted and the combat system is relatively simplistic. There are even a couple instances of what might more-or-less objectively be labeled poor design decisions, including the occasional punishing random event over which the player has no control. The fact that the rest of the game is excellent unfortunately makes its few obvious flaws stand out even more, but that said if you can get past the randomness and arbitrary abstractions Europa Universalis- with all of its immense replay value- can be a very rewarding experience. Expand
  18. Aug 18, 2013
    Note: This is not a game for everyone. It is a game with complex economic, diplomatic and political models that are obtuse and difficult to grasp for your first, oh, 10 playthroughs, however, it is the apex of the series, a masterwork of UI, strategy and fun. If you love CIV and are ready for the next challenge, this is it.
  19. zlo
    Sep 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews, but I decided to do it this time. The game is a gem for anyone who enjoys empire building. Highlights: immersive historical strategy of the "must... play... one more turn" kind. Mechanics that are not dumbed down compared to other EU titles, but more intuitive to start using at a "basic" level", yet allowing for a wealth of optimization and tinkering as you become more advanced. The AI is pretty good, which is a really big thing for this type of game. Emotionally-charged "ironman" gameplay mode. Pretty graphics though it is mainly the strategy map you are looking at. Finally, it is in a polished state, which in this age of buggy beta releases also shows the studio's dedication and ethic. Honestly, if you like strategic thinking as a past-time this is the title for you. Just be sure you start with the tutorial, it'll take over 30 minutes but really covers everything you need to know to get started. Expand
  20. Ed_
    Sep 6, 2013
    A fantastic, enjoyable game! I haven't noticed any bugs, smooth gameplay, great songs, not as complicated as some people would say. You have the opportunity to lead any country and make decisions which can be fatal or profitable for your monarchy or republic. Keep up the good work Paradox!
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    uhm..ok this is a tough one. I am a huge fan of the EU and CIV series, been playing since EU2 and the very first civ game, pure genius. They did with EU4 more or less what they did to the civ series: streamlined. If this is good for you, then you'lll ike EU4. Personally, I consider civ5 to be one of the worst pieces of crap to have ever graced my HD, an insult to intelligence.
    With EU4, I
    am not very sure. To understand why, one must have some sort of previous knowledge/experience of EU titles.
    The game is playable, and moderately enjoyable. Many dynamics have been completely changed, such as economy sliders (economy sliders?), the ever present money vs inflation vs tech investment "thing" (gone), trade is a sort of mystery I still have to figure out (but it's waaaay less relevant than in the older titles) and a very heavy reliance on a sort of point system determining tech progress and national ideas development (points generated are determined by your leader's skills, so you basically pray for a good leader).
    Everything is easier, simpler and more direct than in the older titles. Which does'nt mean I think it's better. I had perfectly accustomed to the old system, so these changes I view as unnecessary at worst and marginal at best. What I may say is that certainly the game tries to play like a classic EU title, and ends up being a slighlty less interesting "adventure" than in the previous installments.
    Of course there will be mods and patches, so I guess the game is going to change a lot.
    Suffice to say that my very first game at EU4 I chose to play the Pope, 3 starting provinces and lousy economy. Anyone who has played a EU game knows what I'm talking about. Well, after 50-60 years, I had all of Italy from Modena to Palermo. Core status and culture can be changed rather effortlessly, making expansion easy. I found all very very easy.
    Oh and of course, welcome to steam. I hope you are not bothered by things like not being able to play a LAN game with your brother sitting next to you without passing through steam, or having to read every time you start the game things like :"BUY NATIONAL MONUMENTS NOW!! ENTER OPEN STORE!!" which is kind of lame in my book especially in a strategic title (and btw, so I don't get national monuments if I don't pay?).
    At the end of the day, right now EU4 is a blander, less interesting and VERY streamlined version of EU3. A completely modded EU3 is a much more "mature" game.
    Time will tell if this game's aim was to change the genre and revive it in a constructive way, or to allow people to play EU on their iphones or something.
  22. Sep 5, 2013
    Great improvement over the EU3 with new trade system, better graphics and the interesting monarch points system. Release version is bug-free and quite balanced.
  23. Sep 2, 2013
    Not only does Paradox Interactive have a winner in Europa Universalis IV, it is easily the best strategy game I have ever played on the computer. The high ratings this game is garnering in reviews are justified. Though having some minor changes to the mechanics, such as over extension, which drive a player crazy, overall, it is a game I plan to play over and over again. I look forward to future DLC, hoping to see both China and Japan specific events, as well as events for the Holy Roman Empire, Russia, and maybe more Native American events in the future. Expand
  24. Aug 20, 2013
    Been playing in-house developed Paradox games since the predecessor and this is their best release yet. This game gets a 10 from me because it's certainly a 9 already, knowing their patch and expansion support will last for years this game can not receive anything less than a maximum score from me.

The game series has never been for everyone but with this release I'd say it's gotten out
    of it's niche genre and into a acceptable place where anyone interested in strategy games could find an interest.

If you have the slightest interest in strategy games and history, TRY THE DEMO. The demo showcases the game perfectly.

My one complaint of the game is the spam of DLC that Crusader Kings 2 received and it looks like EU IV will follow in the same footsteps. Luckily the DLC is not necessary to play the game in any way and it's mostly cosmetic al.
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    One of the best games I played. Europa Universalis IV is meant for thousands of hour of play time and the amount of replay ability available is incredible. You could just add thousands of hours into just by the vanilla version but no it doesn't stop there.

There is even a bigger mod community in Europa Universalis IV then the prequel (Europa Unversalis III) so be prepared to play until
    the next Europa Universalis game.

+ all the expansions they could make for Europa Universalis IV will be even a better game then now.

I would advise you to buy it if you're into Strategy and history and *What if scenarios*
  26. Sep 5, 2013
    Europa Universalis 4 is a masterpiece. It was already excellent on day one, and it will only improve as the expansions pop out. Buy it without a second thought. You will not regret it.
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    Great game. The fourth iteration of Europa Universalis is the best Paradox game to date. I played more than 5 hours on first day of release and the game was stable, fast and better looking then their previous titles.
  28. Aug 14, 2013
    Paradox have done something amazing here. I dont' refer the quality of the quality of the game (although that's superb too), but they've managed to make the game easier to understand, and welcoming to new players, and retained all of the depth and complexity that made the EU series great.
    If you're a fan of the Total War games, and wished the campaign map felt as deep as the battle map,
    give this a try. It's worth it!!! Expand
  29. Aug 19, 2013
    Very nice strategy game, this one is the forth iteration of the series so you can be sure they got their together, and they delivered a solid title, and whats more the game is very friendly to modders because the company that make the game is not a corporate whore all about money, they even offered crusaders king 2 as a gift when you buy EU 4, so you can be sure a plethora of Mods are going to be out to flesh out the game and make it more interesting Expand
  30. Aug 16, 2013
    "Europa Universalis IV is the game you graduate to when you’re tired of Civilization" Edge

I completely agree with this sentiment and will echo what others said. This is a big jump up in terms of tutorials and learning. The game has yet to have any major bugs that ruin the game for me. It's been a total blast so far to play and i'd have paid $60 bucks like a typical AAA game.

In my
    play through with england there were many times where i felt my back was up against the wall. I was bordering on bankruptcy then had to fight hordes of rebellions but i managed to make it through and rebuild. There was a war with France vs the rest of the world, me (england), Spain, Portugal, Vienna, Scotland, etc and they had about 130 ground units. They had occupied most of the typical french territory plus almost all of spain. I had to make a seperate peace and give up some of my territory in NW europe on the mainland but it stopped the horde. Fast forward 50 years later with the start of the Protestant religion and France starts pulling itself apart from religious strife. The same coalition is able to go in and dismantle France piece by piece. All that remains now is ile-de-france and the area all around it are the smaller sovereign regions.

This game is an amazing roller coaster you have to try to believe.
  31. Aug 17, 2013
    Paradox managed to get into the fourth installment of a game/series and make it better than the previous one. That is rare. Distinct graphic/visual upgrades without being too taxing on the computer, and overall well-rounded changes to the games "common sense" and fluidity. It's just more fun and feels right.
  32. Aug 16, 2013
    If you liked EU III you'll definitely like EU IV. It looks very similar, but the game mechanics are actually quite different, so the experience as a whole is a lot different. Some aspects of the game are a little easier, but as a whole I think the game is a little bit harder than its predecessor.
    I think new players would find EU IV a little easier to learn than EU III. The new hints
    system is quite informative and well made.

There really isn't anything bad to say about the game except the performance which hasn't been improved. If you are a strategy fan don't hesitate just get the game.
  33. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm a big fan of strategy games but have always found it hard to find that special sense of satisfaction towards the end game. Many times conquering or in other ways dominating the world can be a repetitive and somewhat boring process. The Europa Universalis-series have been one out of a very few games delivering and with the latest version the team over at Paradox has made it easier than ever for new players to jump in. That said, this isn't a game for the casual player and the amount of information clearly surpasses games like Civilization. But for me, who don't mind some learning, planning and strategic thinking, it's as close to a PC-game blessing as is possible. The satisfaction of transforming an insignificant little European country in nowadays Germany or Italy into the worlds most powerful nation is immense. Expand
  34. Aug 14, 2013
    I would likely give EU4 an 8.5, however as no half scores are possible, I decided to round it up on account of the fact that I couldn't really think of a major problem that couldn't be fixed. One thing I will say is; this game is not for the faint of heart. Losing is almost always a very real possibility and the AI is better at dragging you back down that it was in previous iterations when you became too power.

It's also a little more new-player friendly than EU3 so far as I can tell, and it is a little easier to manipulate the AI than in just about every other Paradox Title ever (which is a good thing). All in all, if you're a fan of Paradox titles, or Grand Strategy in general, definitely worth checking this game out. There are many hours of enjoyment to be had, even for returning EU3 customers.
  35. Aug 17, 2013
    The best game Paradox ever made up to date, almost flawless. Curious enough, I see some people have problem with font readability on 1920x1200 resolution I spotted no such issue myself! Game on it's own takes and mix the improved quality and immersion of CK2 mechanisms, greatly improved visual design and masterfully done UI (that no longer confuses even users that play the game for their first time ever) and mixed it with the game engine we all know from the EU series, adding a lot of more control and decision making to it without making it an overly complicated gargantuan.

If you like grand strategies, EU4 is, for now, the king of them considering it's relative ease without sacrificing the complexity of gameplay. Give it a try I am myself a vivid CIV series fan, but EU4 offers such degree of control and decision-making, that any CIV game in comparison looks like child-play.

And another thing that is unique to this genre in nowadays gaming world... When other games ends after circa 10 hours, you need that 10 hours to discover and get used to EU4 mechanism! Expect 200-300 hours of gameplay at ease from it. If not more.
  36. Aug 19, 2013
    EU4 is a great improvement over the previous EU games, no longer is the game annoying and/or hard to get into, but way more fun than ever before, there are way less bugs this time, and I haven't encountered a single crash so far, a game of the year for me.
  37. JtW
    Aug 21, 2013
    I am a Civilization fan dating back to Civilization I, and have played all the games in the series. Recently, the Brave New World expansion came out, and I loved it.

However, I decided to pre-order Europa Universalis 4 as well (never having played the earlier versions of the game). And guess what? I cannot go back to Civilization anymore! I love the depth of this game: the learning
    curve is steep, but manageable with the tutorials. And once you start to get what's going on... Let's just say, I've played 16 hours straight on my first session.

I also love painting alternative histories in my imagination while I play, and EU4 is just amazing for it.

I am also impressed by the general polish of the game on release. I have only encountered one minor bug so far, and also very little balance issues.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game to all strategy gamers.
  38. Aug 25, 2013
    If you liked EUIII you're going to like EUIV.
    However on the contrary the game's been out for a week and there's already DLC, which is slightly disgusting in my eyes.
  39. Aug 29, 2013
    EU IV for me is one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the year. I’ve played all the previous instalments and just couldn’t wait for a sequel. Now we have it, and it’s great. For the most part.

It’s still the good ol’ EU, with some improvements in graphics and UI departments, and many new bells and whistles. The new game engine we know from Crusader Kings II is much more eye
    appealing than the oh-my-God-it’s-so-ugly EU III. UI is much more streamlined and isn’t as over-cluttered as before, and aims to make the player’s life easier. Some game mechanics are overhauled, some new are introduced, some are abandoned, but the game as a whole seems very well thought out. Again, for the most part.

I have a feeling that you as a player have less direct, and more of an indirect influence on the functioning of your country of choice. For example, unlike before when you could compete for trade virtually anywhere in the world, now your country can net trade profits only in a couple of hubs, so you must steer trade flow to benefit those hubs, while your opponents will try to over-steer your efforts in a different direction. It’s an interesting mechanic that directs gameplay in new and interesting ways. Trade income, tax income, tariffs and so on, everything is automated now, and you as a ruler have only indirect influence on money earning and spending. All this is new and good, and once you get used to the new system, you can exploit it to great effects.

Diplomacy was always the weakest link in the EU chain, and that hasn’t changed. We got rid of spies from EU III (and good riddance it is), and the new envoys mechanics are great. Now we have option of making coalitions, a viable way for small guys to survive in the neighbourhood of a big, bad aggressor. But peace-making mechanics are more broken than ever, and sooner or later you’ll find yourself in situation where you can’t possibly (I mean, literally, theoretically) make peace, so you’ll get stuck with an endless war that will break your country sooner or later. Only option is to loose (and badly) on purpose, or load an earlier saved game.

For example, I play as Sweden, declare war on some single-province German state and puff, I have on my hands a war with half a Europe. OK, fine, but now Turkey (of all things) is in charge, and even if I crush the little German fellow, I can’t make peace unless I crush the Turks as well. I have no chance of marching across the entire (hostile) continent and winning anything, so there you have it, an endless war. They can’t beat me, I can’t beat them, and AI doesn’t seems to accept white peace any more. Even if I offer ceding some provinces and what-nots in situation when war score is positive for me, it’s a no go.

So there you have it, a brand new Europa Universalis game. Somewhat broken, but still one of the best strategy games available today. I think I’ll wait for a couple of patches and let them fix stuff before I start playing it again, because, as things stand right now, it can get really frustrating, and that beats the game’s entire purpose having fun.
  40. Sep 2, 2013
    Somewhat disappointing. My expectations were quite high, and unfortunately the game did not live up to them. From the mechanics point of view there are a couple of steps back or things missing compared to the previous EU3. Probably leaving space for future DLC (and there are already a dozen of them out, the game being a month old).
    And then there is the issue with the ancient
    engine/interface. Barely any options to setup the graphical detail, bitmap fonts not scaling with resolution and other small things like that.

I think with time, patches and DLC content, the game might some day become really good, bit it is not there yet.
  41. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is simply superb. The level of detail, thought, and competence that went into it has made it a pleasure to play. Given the disaster that Rome 2 turned out to be, I'm extremely thankful that I'll have something to play for the foreseeable future. Paradox has come through again!
  42. Aug 13, 2013
    I have no idea how people can give this a rating after having played it for less than 24 hours. I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing so far and have put a few hours into it. I put a 9 for now but I'll adjust in a bit once I get a better feel for the game.
  43. Sep 14, 2013
    I have several Paradox Interactive games and they really hit the mark on this game as far as the balance between complexity and playability. They got rid of many of the things that really held back EU III. First of all, the UI looks so much better and the graphics are beautiful especially for a grand strategy game. Some people will complain about how there is less to control in this game compared to the past games of the series, however I feel like this is a positive thing because the things that I actually can control make a difference to the country I'm controlling. Before it really felt like I was a bystander and could only do so much, but now I feel like you have much more freedom as a player. Also a lot of the particularly annoying things (for example: pirates) are gone or much reduced in EU IV. The only negative in this game is how long it takes to load up when you start it. Expand
  44. Aug 16, 2013
    This is grand strategy at it's finest. Long time Paradox fans will find this piece of armchair general candy the best tasting yet, and newcomers will never be as welcomed. The newly streamlined gameplay makes everything you do a bit more understandable, but doesn't make the game shallow in the least bit, quite the contrary. You could play the old games for hundreds of hours and still be guessing in the dark at some of the hidden gameplay mechanics that went on beneath all the decisions you made and buttons you pressed. Now after only a few hours you can have a well rounded understanding of the game as a whole, which makes it much more enjoyable in the sense that you can easily formulate your strategies and never have to question what's going on. A good example of this would be the new trade system that's set up. Your power in a trade node is determined by three very well spelled out things, how many trade effecting ships you have protecting trade in the node, how much power your own provinces output to the node, and your nation's overall trade efficiency which is dependent on how much priority you put on trade, among other things. In the older games, particularly EU3, figuring out what was going on in the world markets was like navigating through a gator infested swamp at night, you'd throw your merchants where you hoped they would do best and pray you didn't ruin your economy with your choices. That is just one of many things that's been improved though. I speak from the heart when I say the new idea and national values system is one of the sexiest things ever introduced in strategy gaming. It actually makes nations feel like the nation your playing, a minor problem I've always had with Paradox games back in the day. If you're playing as Great Britain now, you'll easily have the best navy around, likewise if you're playing as Russia you'll have 10x the manpower reserves of any regular sized nation, and kickin' cossacks to boot. I could literally go on and on about the improvements they've made thus far, but I believe that's better left for people's own opinions and the such so I'm going to stop it right here. It's a proud time for the grand strategy gamers though, a proud time indeed. Expand
  45. Aug 15, 2013
    Another awesome game from paradox! A great improvement from EU3. But CK2 is still my favourite!Amazing game that really makes Civilization 5 look kind of boring in comparison.
  46. Lib
    Sep 7, 2013
    Another amazing Paradox grand strategy. I'd play this for hours. I hope Paradox Interactive will make Hearts of Iron 4 and Victoria 3 on this engine. Da.
  47. Aug 18, 2013
    Other than the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge rebel groups that sometime appear and ruin the game I'm starting to enjoy this more and more. However I really do think you should be able to spend cash for research boosts.
  48. Aug 31, 2013
    The text is not sharp or big enough at 1920x1080 resolution. Too bad that they make such a good game but can't solve basic problems that existed in previous games.
  49. Aug 19, 2013
    It's a niche game, for a niche audience, but boy does it do what it sets out to do. While most other Paradox titles are fraught with poorly conceived release schedules and underwhelming technical support in their first days, Europa Universalis IV breaks the trend and shows that Paradox Development Studios is both capable and willing to produce high-quality games. The game itself is a wonderful exploration of nearly four-hundred years of human history, all of which is malleable to your will. Conquer the world, or simply strive to eke out an existence among the greater powers. Like other Paradox games it's greatest strength is in the game's dynamic flow and story: the only victory conditions are those you set for yourself, which lends the game a near infinite amount of replayability. If you enjoy other Paradox Games you will most likely find yourself having a great time with this title.

However, I must also warn you: the game is a complex array of mechanics and ideas and is absolutely not to everyone's speed. But it is quality enough that I would recommend the demo to everyone.
  50. Aug 14, 2013
    Awesome game from paradox! A great improvement from EU3. Paradox has stepped up its game and EU4 is playable on day 1 which given paradox's track record comes as a glad surprise.

Paradox has continued its system with DLCs and only time will tell how this will work out.
  51. Aug 18, 2013
    As an avid fan of Paradox's previous Grand Strategy games, I thought Victoria II was as good as the genre could get. I was wrong. While, like its predecessors, Europa Universalis never gives the economy the complex handling it deserves, in its military, diplomatic and espionage aspects the game stands head and shoulders above anything else in the market today. Loved every second I spent playing this. Expand
  52. Aug 19, 2013
    This installment of the europa universalis series has improved alot of features about the game, making the game easier to play, keeping complexity but making the game less complicated. What I don't like is that the AI is still pretty bad in the EU series. While the opponent wont send troops to random suicide missions like previous installments it's basically still broken. For example during a long war the enemy had stacks of 20 troops which they were just moving between the same provinces for the entire war. This ended up with me winning against a enemy that had a vastly superior military than me. By killing of his weaker stacks first and then going for the big one.

Allies are also abit stupid and they usually end up standing around at a corner of the country that you are trying to invade instead of actually helping in the battles. This, coupled with a warscore system where the death of 1000 soldiers is about equal to the death of 10000 soldiers, kind of breaks how war works in the game. Alot of the times you will see big territories on the AI map that has been conquered by rebels due to the AIs inability to handle wars properly.

Another thing that I found disturbing is that the game is also somewhat too european centric (yea i know its called europa universalis).
    Where anything that isn't western is deemded as technologically backwards. This clearly ingores the fact that alot of discoveries in the 1400 where made in the east (for example gunpowder and muskets). I know that this is the world from a european point of view but it still seems to be abit baltant to devide countries into technology gropus where some are just "worse" than others. Also making poland a eastern technology group is in my opinion historically incorrect in that case.

But im really focusing on the bad bit the game has alot of positivies also, if you are willing to spend hundreds of hours on this game then you will probably have alot of fun (and also neglect work and family).
  53. Sep 10, 2013
    This is not a bad game but it is a significant downgrade from EU3.

My biggest problem is that the gameplay feels extremely game-y. The technology system is beyond ridiculous. A country that invests heavily in colonial technology will exhaust all of its "diplomatic points" and will have terrible ship technology, which is absurd. Likewise a country that constantly goes to war will
    exhaust all its "military points" and end up with terrible military technology, which is the opposite of what should happen in reality.

I understand why Paradox did this to prevent big countries from getting to much momentum and eating all the little ones. However, it doesn't work, since all the same countries that dominated in EU3 will still dominate in EU4. Likewise, it forces the player to spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing, since the points system rewards passiveness and punishes any sort of player action. This is especially true with non-European countries who get hit with -1 tech points.

The game also weakens the player's ability to control his country's direction, compared to EU3. No longer are there sliders. Much of your nation's success will come from your monarch's statistics (pure luck) as well as luck with the CONSTANT random events.

It also suffers from the exact same major problems as EU3, none of which Paradox bothered to fix: easily abusable enemy AI and "blobbing" by countries like France and the Ottomans.

Pros:
    + Easy to learn for new players
    + Good music

Cons:
    - Less intuitive technology system than EU3
    - Same AI problems as EU3 (especially with regards to troop movement)
    - Historically unrealistic domination by the same countries as in EU3 (France, Ottomans, Ming)
    - Too many random events take control out of the hands of the player
    - Lack of any significant gameplay improvements from its predecessor, in fact a downgrade when playing non-Western countries
    - Game rewards passive play through the points system
  54. Oct 23, 2013
    Excellent continuation of Europa Universalis series. I started as my hime country, Bohemia, and the level of historical details authors introduced is really excellent.
    Oh and a small notion to all of those complaining about hard to get UI. Please, go back to you consoles or tablets and leave PC games to people with brains. Thank you.
  55. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a first edition of Europa Universalis which I have ever played. I must say that it was really hard for me to get started. I've spent few hours trying to understand the rules and interface of the game. I also watch few movies on youtube to see how others play and I realize that I am not alone. But after this time I started to really enjoy the game. It is not as complex as I thought initially, but it is challenging especially on ironman mode. One thing that is missing for me is an autopause when something very important happen (such as alliance offer). I must keep my finger on top of space bar and hit it every time when I see a tiny image on top of the screen. To conclude it is a nice, challenging game for strategy game lovers. Expand
  56. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is gonna make your head, eyes and back hurt, it's gonna eat your life away and give you insomnia. If you have a life, stay away, if you have time to waste, this is the game for you!
  57. Aug 20, 2013
    Easily one of the best grand strategy games ever released. After Crusader Kings 2 i thought that Paradox wouldn't be able to release EU IV without bugs, but they did. A highly polished and amazing game. Worthy of every praise.

If you are into the genre, it's a must buy. If you are not, it's still a must buy.
  58. Sep 23, 2013
    Grand strategy games tend to have a very niche audience, but Paradox has come a long way in making them more accessible without removing features or complexity. If you're new to these games don't worry. The EU tutorial is one of Paradox's best and will give you a good start, though there will be plenty you have to learn for yourself. The main draw of EU4 is that it's an open sandbox play as any of the major nations like England or France, or play as a small country in SE Asia or an American Indian tribe. There are no real win conditions, and you can play however you like. Some countries have historical events that happen to them, or events that only happen under certain conditions, so no two games are ever alike. The only issues I have are that combat is still very spreadsheet oriented (you have more you win, generally), and that colonization is blazingly fast for certain countries, which can easily lead to power imbalance. Still, EU4 is a great game in the genre and if you're looking to lose a hundred hours of your life colonizing, converting heresy and fighting wars, this is the game to do it. Expand
  59. Sep 7, 2013
    This game is your standard micro-management world domination type of game. It has a demo, so check it out and see if it is worth buying. Two things I don't like: 1) Almost all the 10 star reviews on here are from people who have never reviewed another game, and they all use pretty much the same language. So be suspicious. 2) The game itself has tons of DLC so if you want the "full experience" it costs closer to $70, not the $40 you pay initially.

Beside that, rebels in the game are severely overpowered, and so world domination becomes more of a "whack-a-mole" challenge with rebels that magically arise from poor and remote provinces with 10 armies. Sure, keep your people happy, give them what they want, expand slowly I get it. But if you want anything resembling a "quick" game (under 30 hours) this is not it. And the 30 hours aren't fun it's just waiting for things to build, hoping nobody declares war on you for the things you did 500 years ago, and totally disrupting your empire's stability.

Also, research: It penalizes you for getting ahead, which basically takes away any incentive for a technological type victory and instead forces you into the cookie-cutter "gentle wars and diplomacy" approach that this is built around.

Overall, game design needs a bit of diversity, and more strategic options to make it replayable.
  60. Sep 6, 2013
    Bloody brilliant, waiting the amazing amount of improvement Ck2 received for the past year for this game too, In it's current state, fun and content full, i've spent just 62 hours to a single conversion save/mod

Needs optimization for slower cpu's (my intel dual core 2.67 ghz can't keep up well)
    Needs polishing on some of the mechanics
    Needs polishing on Japan and the catholic rebellions
  61. Aug 19, 2013
    Europa Universalis IV is much better than older iterations especially when it comes to how stable this game runs. What is holding me back from giving it a 9 is that still some things are not easy or simply not transparent enough to understand so one needs to be willing to spend some time outside the game to learn the game because the in-game tutorials and help system are not helpful enough.

Overall I like the game very much and would recommend it to everyone who is willing to spend some time to learn the game. What helped me a lot was a tutorial from quill18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGH-Sc1EfdI
  62. Aug 28, 2013
    Paradox's most polish game up to date! There are still minor and major topographical, historical and A.I. issues, but they made their game highly enjoyable, and polished this time. I can recommend it to every strategy fan. It can be difficult, but also a lot of fun!
  63. Nov 22, 2013
    I have to agree with the posters that say the text is far too small, and really the whole UI is way to small. It's like paradox is trying to show off as much of their map as possible, but it's really unspectacular anyway. Horrible, tiny, little icons spread all the way around the map, things should be centralized to one side, or two at most.

This is a really slow game, very hard to
    get into unlike other games where you can hop right in, pick it up more or less right away, and only have to learn about or research a few alien principals or gameplay mechanics. I'm sure it's satisfying for those that enjoy it, but it's DEFINITELY not created in a way that will appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers and gaming styles.

Bottom line: both the game and the gameplay need to be a lot more inviting and user friendly.
  64. Aug 20, 2013
    Europa Universalis IV incorporates some of the elements presented by its predecessor, while bringing new, great features into the franchise. The revamped trade mode throws into the mixture a new and enjoyable way to achieve economic domination while the new monarch points system causes you to face some fantastic trade-offs in the path to world hegemonic power.
  65. Aug 21, 2013
    EU4 is a great improvement over the previous games,with respect to the its predecessor EU3,the game-play and balance has greatly improved. So, it will make CIV5 seem like child's game. In this game,
    choose a different country, you can have a nice and different game experience.
  66. Aug 16, 2013
    Positively the best grand strategy game I've ever played. Unlike any previous paradox games, EU4 focuses on strategic decision maker. Sure in CK2 and Eu3 you made decisions, but in EU4, there is usually more than one right answer to every decision! In EU3, there was usually one correct answer, in EU4, there are multiple, and it truly adds skill to the game. Additionally, the scope of the game is amazing. The game is not needlessly complicated, and it's a blast! Expand
  67. Aug 20, 2013
    Awesome game. The best gae of Paradox. You can play either nation in the world with new awesome gameplay mecanics. Thak you paradox for this game.

Europa Universalis IV is the game you graduate to when you’re tired of Civilization." Edg
  68. Sep 4, 2013
    By all means one of Paradox Development Studio's better games (Although I like them all really). They've made much-needed improvements in comparison to EU3 in most areas, and although there is some controversy over the monarch point system and to a lesser extent trade, it's definitely worth the money. The visuals and season system is one thing in particular that is quite nice which I wasn't expecting to enjoy as much as I did. I've yet to get the full enjoyment out of it after many hours. Expand
  69. Sep 8, 2013
    Europa Universalis. Welcome back to my arms. Hold me. Don't ever let me go. The times we've had: Azteks vs Spain, Serbia and Bosnia vs the Ottomans. Japan vs French Colonials in Australia. My first explorer fleet sinking in the Pacific.

The system this game uses is very deep, feels very authentic and realistic. You just can't "zerg" the world and expect to not crumble to pieces whilst
    trying to hold it all together. The game really rewards the sly player, the bold player and punishes those with no patience.

And while being a very deep game, the whole menu system really is easy to navigate and not at all hard to understand. Give it an hour and all will be understood. Maybe two. And then the game will suck you in. Even the most mundane country suddenly start to feel interesting, you find enemies and friends. And after that, you notice the clock is 5 in the morning and you have work.

Damnit.

But worth it.

Over and out, guys
  70. Oct 29, 2013
    Paradox at its best. Civilization V is nothing in front of Europa Universalis IV.The deepest game I've ever played. Haven't checked the multiplayer yet...100 hours and I'm still hooked up.
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    I'm done with this game. It's good at first but it is almost a copy and paste of the last game with a couple added features and a little better graphics. That's not my main issue though, the problem is the "random" negative events. The game constantly has one to take down my stability every time I get it up one. If I didn't re-load every time that happened, until I got an event that didn't effect my stability, I would have quit much sooner. These events got more frequent the longer I play into the game to the point were the game is unplayable. This is either a bug or an idiotic development decisions, either way I've quit playing until this is fixed. Buy EU 3 instead or download it for free off pirate bay if you really want to try it out. Expand
  72. Sep 17, 2013
    What a fantastic game. It is utterly engrossing. If you are a fan of civil 4 then you will love this game. An addictive masterpiece. It looks good too. The biggest down side is that it is too hard to stop playing once you get into a game. I have never played an EU game before. It took me about about 5-7 hours to learn how to play. It was a worthy investment and one I don't think any serious arm chair emperor would regret. Expand
  73. Sep 26, 2013
    Another great game from Paradox. Im more of a Crusader Kings guy, but this game is still great. If you are into grand strategy make sure you pick this up.
  74. Oct 9, 2013
    EU4 is a hardcore strategy game. Immense, but also minimalistic. It has a high replayability, which is a guarantee to devour your free time.There are always new things to master, to explore and to do.
    Furthermore, the game is polished. Some bugs are there, but they are insignificant.
    However, the tiny fonts hurt my eyes. I hope they include a font size, which is scales to match screen
    size.
    Please fix this Paradox!
    EDIT: I have installed the font mod and gave it a 10. After all it deserves it!
  75. Sep 9, 2013
    i had fun with this one. game is balanced and polished (almost no bugs). however i don't know if oversimplification is good direction to go, you can't chop of to much because you risking hurting a strategy heart of this game. i give it a 10 as badass seal of approval not real score
  76. Sep 14, 2013
    Paradox somehow managed to keep this game incredibly grognardy, while at that same time smoothing out the learning and accessibility curve. Where are the normal paradox launch bugs? This game has been smooth and solid.
  77. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very detailed and enjoyable gameplay, fantastic in-game dynamics, and elegant graphics absolutely prove that this game completely deserves to be called grand strategy. Expand
  78. Oct 13, 2013
    After seeing this game several times on Steam and passing it I finally decided to give it a try thanks to user reviews here on Metacritic. And I was not prepared for what was coming.

This game is a pure blast! I've put 40 hours so far into the game only playing tutorials and my first playthrough as Ireland and what a ride it was. I am nowhere near the end, but I can say that this game
    is amazing! As a fan of grand strategy games who played them since the very first Civilization and through all Total War games I have to say that EU IV one is the best one so far. They just got it right. Diplomacy, research, warfare, trade, rebellions, religion, colonization it is all very well balanced mix that not fits together incredibly well from the gameplay point of view but also from the historical perspective. Even though the game is a sandbox it is so well balanced that you see many historical events occurring even if they are not really scripted like Rise & Fall mod for Civilization IV.

Additionally there are so many aspects of the game that I did not even approached in my first playthrough where I focused on exploring new world that promise a lot of replay value a thing very scarce these days. Do you wish to play as part of Holy Roman Empire and unite it under one umbrella to become a dominant power as Germany? Check. Or do you wish to be spearheading counter-reformation that is threatening the stability of Europe? Or do you want to play as one of the less advanced civilizations and wage a fight for your very existence? Check and check. There are endless opportunities and all of them real and well thought off.

On the top of all of it I did not encounter a single bug or any other issue. The gameplay is smooth and in spite of so many people criticizing the user interface I find it very useful the end game management of dozens of provinces which was always a chore to do with other games is breeze in this game. It lets the game keep holding you from the beginning to the end so that you do not want to go to sleep because you just want to win this battle or set up the trade in that node.

For me this is the game of the year and it is something that many people may have expected Rome Total War. That it was Paradox interactive, a company that I admire for other great titles such as Mount&Blade, who achieved this is surprising but also refreshing. That I support such a good gaming company by purchasing this superb game is just an icing on the already incredibly tasty cake.Do not wait and if you ever liked any of the grand strategy title go and buy EU IV. It is a must have for any even remote grand strategy fan because this is how such a game should look like.
  79. Sep 19, 2013
    Incredible! Just impressed by the new EU IV! I had enjoyed the preceding title a lot, and this one just becomes better. They simplified aspects that needed simplification, and made some things and mechanics even more interesting like trade, the ideas and technology system etc. without making all that too over complicated, confusing or buggy.

This game is just perfect, it deserves a 10!
  80. Sep 23, 2013
    The best Paradox game so far, and I've played a bunch of them. Micromanaging is solved in an elegant way so you don't have to spend much time building new buildings (can do it from a fancy building map or directly from the ledger), you can convert provinces religion or make new cores directly from a list, and you don't have to micromanage the trade neither. To be successful on trade you'll have to plan your empire growth on the long term, and eventually build a big light ships fleet, also some national decisions help, but you will only need to give new orders to your traders once in decades.
    Armies can be set to auto defeat rebels, so when they appear anywhere in your country that army will seek and destroy them.
    The only thing you have to micromanage as much as before is your armies during a war.
    Diplomacy is amazing, now you can know exactly why the others empires likes you or why they don't, and act consequently.
    The game is so awesome I had to uninstall it as I was playing more than 12 hours a day for several days.
  81. Oct 3, 2013
    Fantastic game from a fantastic game developer. Paradox really hit the mark on their latest Europa Universalis IV. The improvement of trade systems made being a small state but a major economic power very possible. Weather system through the seasons made a balanced attack defense phase between armies and added another level of strategy.

I wish that they had added more user diversity on
    state creation and formation, but that is a completely other and massive change in the game. But still Super fun and one of the best games to get into grand strategy, from of course the masters of grand strategy! Expand
  82. Oct 1, 2013
    Brilliant strategy game, best title from Paradox in years. It feels somewhat "easier" to get into then previous games, and it's addicting as hell. Lots of decisions (strategic and tactical) makes the game hard but very fun to play. My only complain is interface, on 1080 resoultion text is very small and font doesn't make it easier to read, BUT you have mods to fix this issue.

9/10 One
    of the best strategy titles on PC. Must play. Expand
  83. Oct 23, 2013
    I think this is a niche game, and you must like this sort of complex games to actually enjoy it, but it is definitely The best game of its kind. The company’s attitude to its fans deserves its own praise.
  84. Sep 13, 2013
    Its a great time playing this game. This game is really good! Paradox Interactive have finally come up with a new game that is properly programmed and executed perfectly in every aspects of the game. This game deserves a way better rating than 85 out of 100. Hope Europa Universalis V comes up in the near future with more better amazing things to play and explore.
  85. Sep 16, 2013
    Brilliant, just brilliant. I highly recommend you buy this game if you enjoy strategy games, because this is the grandest, most complete and comprehensive strategy game I have played so far. It's surprisingly simple to pick up and always entertaining with endless choices, a must have indeed.
  86. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 Expand
  87. Sep 24, 2013
    This is a fantastic game and it corrects some of the problems with EUIII. Your nation is now more reliant on your monarch and while some find this frustrating, it definitely makes for a more interesting game. In EUIII, anyone could overcome a bad ruler with little effort. Really, anyone with a decent amount of experience could by mid-game dominate EUIII. EUIV corrects this problem by tying your ruler more closely with your nations fortunes. A bad ruler will make it hard for your country to advance, conduct war and keep stability. It is frustrating fantastic.

Overall I am very happy with it and it feels like a matured EUIII. For those that are new to the series, the learning curve is the fun part. Stick with it a few dozen hours and you will begin to understand the depth and mechanics.

I did give it a 9 because it is still needing some content additions which I'm sure will come in the form of free patches or paid DLC. Some of the countries have a generic feel. With a game this massive, I would think it to be impossible to make every country historically unique, but there is room to grow, hence the 9.

Last note, special thanks to Paradox for publishing this to Linux. As a Linux user for about a decade, Paradox games were the one wish I had for gaming. Their support is amazing and appreciated.
  88. Sep 27, 2013
    GOOD Epic Game Just Perfect Diplomacy Standards Technology bias is just perfect Requires brains and strategy when fighting against coalition of forces BAD Requires cheats to really win only the best can win without using cheats . A bit Long, sometimes i am sleeping just in front of my computer Bugs can ruin your life, if combing armies (you cannot combine more than 3 units at a time
    Every army requires general to win (without a general-ed army you are bound to loose, even with having a huge amassed army)
  89. Sep 28, 2013
    It's deffinitely the best strategy game of the year. It's big, it's smart, historical and epic. Paradox Interactive did a great job. I've been playing their games since EU2. And it's stlii great. Hold your course PI.
  90. Oct 6, 2013
    Everything about this is an improvement over EU3, the mechanics the coalition system the ways the governance benefits change etc etc etc... if you love the franchise or are a new player then get this game at all costs it will provide hours of fun with the 2 main most unique playthroughs coming from a Central European country such as Austria or (my personal favorite) Bohemia, or as Western European colonizing country such as GB France Spain. The game is addictive the AI is relentless and in the end you feel like a true conqueror for your insane worldly exploits that somehow made you come out on top with absolutely no forgiveness from the AI and hours worth of hard fought planning and scheming your way to greatness. However I wrote this reason for one reason and one reason only, f*ck you France. F*ck you so god da*n f*cking much... ALL Y'ALL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Expand
  91. Nov 28, 2013
    A lot of gamers here complain that the game is hard and difficult to play, but the truth is quite the opposite !
    To me, it feels just like a complex version of Risk! Here lies the problem for me... This game could have been so much better it feels just like a remake of an european cult classic by the holywood producers...
    Where is the internal dynamics of the state there is none..
    Where is the charm of the eras played through the game? (Renaissance, baroque) Where are the strategical and tactical elements of the battles played?... and so, on so on.. Nice graphics though.. Expand
  92. Dec 30, 2013
    This is a game of bad news. For every one positive event you will have 100 negative events. Most people will tell you how good a dog turd smells on the internet. It really is sad that no one can make a good strategy game these days. This was my first and last experience with Paradox Interactive. Save your money Most people reviewing this product have played much worse games by Paradox so this trash actually looks good to them. Expand
  93. Feb 15, 2014
    Paradox Development Studio has done it again with another great grand strategy game, EU4 puts you as a country and you have to take over the world or become number one in the world you play,
    that sounds easy but it is not as easy as you my first think depending on what country you start with.
    if you enjoyed CK2 you will enjoy this
  94. Mar 26, 2014
    If you have a family, friends or a job this game is not for you. Most epic strategy experience you can get. Its hard to learn, but once you get it youll love it. GG Paradox, will await more.
  95. Oct 13, 2013
    I must admit I did not see myself spending so many hours playing this game... One of the best RTS games on the market right now... The world at your disposal with a large number of nations to choose from... from The Knights to the Incas this game does an amazing job giving you the oportunity to rule the world and leave your mark on history or dissapear under the pressure of huge empires like the Ottomans or the British... Paradox is quickly becoming one of my favourite studios in the strategy market... Expand
  96. Mar 29, 2014
    Having never played an EU title previously, I can can hands down say that I am now hooked on this franchise (along with Crusader Kings). I have played the Total War series of games for years and enjoyed them for the most part, but this game has opened my eyes to how detailed and in-depth a strategy game can really be. OK, you don't get the fancy battle scenes like the TW series but, you know something, I don't miss them. In fact, when I go back to TW, I miss the better strategy map and depth from EUIV than I miss the battles when playing EUIV. Now that basically says it all. Maybe it's an age thing, but you can stick all your fancy 3D graphics as far as I'm concerned - as I'd rather have this level depth and enjoyment any day of the week.

One word of warning, this can be a brutal experience for the uninitiated. Best thing to do is to start small and work your way up to a super power so you can learn the ropes, otherwise you'll just get frustrated in the early days of play. The amount of alliances and enemies you have to deal with when your one of the big guns can be overwhelming at first.

Buy this. You owe it to yourself to witness one of the finest PC games in years.
  97. Sep 15, 2013
    Another very strong and feature rich game from Paradox. Continues to improve on the previous version and adds new features. While it does not bring anything overly exciting or brand new the amount of time and enjoyment you will get from this makes it well worth the price.
  98. Dec 5, 2013
    After about an hour of looking at the world map of 1444 all its factions, religions, diplomatic entanglements (alliances, etc) and more I was finally confident enough to choose my first starting nation.

There is a lot going on in this game, don't let the simple graphics fool you. (Note: the demo is limited to Europe for some reason and makes the game appear smaller or simpler that it
    actually is.) Prepare to be educated if you've never played an EU game before, but I stuck it through and found that no two play-thrus are alike. Each play-thru is memorable and makes me want to go back and try a new strategy.

The tutorial could have been more in depth it did not prepare me whatsoever for the intricacies of the game.
  99. Dec 8, 2013
    How troubling is to review a PDS game... They are works in progress.
    But I feel something must be said about EU4 so long after its initial release.
    I was among the ones who pre-ordered it and I admit it was the first game I bought instead of pirating in, what? 10 years? The other game I bought before EU4 was Starcraft: Broodwar for you to have an idea.
    CK2 left a very good impresion in
    me, I thought PDS was finally getting a hang of things and I decided to support them. And when EU4 came, I played a bit with Burgundy, I was a litlle frustrated and regreted my decision, shelving the game.
    But then came all the patchs, game fixes and balances (like trade nerfing). Now EU4 is amazing and I already spent hours and hours and hours in this game, bulding Switzerland into a constitutional republic, an economical world power against France, making my north American kingdom with a norwegian court-in-exile, and many others plays.
    I didn't understood the sinergy and connection between Monarchic Points, technology, buildings and everything else at first, but now I see how well planed and structured everything is in this game and I'm enjoying very much. The only bad thing I would say, is that same thing that EU3 also had: is a deterministic game. You can't take Spain and go for a military non-colonial game, you can't take Brandenburg and not focus on forming Germany/Prussia, otherwise the game punishs you and thing lose sense. Also the lack of natives in South America, and how the lack of a La Plata trade node.
    Anyway, it's an awesome iteration and I hope that East versus West follows its footsteps.
  100. Feb 20, 2014
    After sinking (way too much) time into this game, I can say that I absolutely LOVE it.
    However, be warned that this style fits a particular kind of strategy gamer, not all of them. For example, if you enjoy Total War games (which I also love), EU IV might not necessarily give you the right thrill.

For one thing, it has a steep learning curve for newcomers (such as myself), who didn't
    play EU III or similar installments from Paradox, but if you have the patience to learn the details (and there are many of them), you get to play a game that covers a fascinating historic period, on an unsurpassed scale - the entire span of the globe, no less, from East to West.
    It has a deep diplomatic model, which can be very satisfying to use. Wars, in particular, are not a matter of extermination, but can rather serve as a means to weaken an enemy, gain some territory, or (my favorite) force enemies to grant independence to countries they had annexed earlier.

On the other hand, the satisfaction EU IV provides is mostly cerebral. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing your carefully laid plans bear fruit, but your time is spent gazing at the map which, as pretty as it may be, is still a map; and at numerous icons, texts, and information sheets. EU IV might be a very complex board game, but that's what it is, basically. In regards to audio-visual entertainment, the cover image is the most exciting part of the game, so if that's what you're after, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Still, if you enjoy strategizing, outwitting foes, and growing a country that you picked to scary proportions, I believe you will love Europa Universalis IV almost as much as I do.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Once players overcome the initial learning curve, Europa Universalis IV will prove a memorable strategy experience that provides as much fun stories as it does sheer tactical complexity.
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    Somehow retains the series' trademark braininess and complexity while being clearer, simpler and far more fun. [Nov 2013, p.92]
    The ultimate strategic simulator of an early modern history state with wide options for both success and failure. Do you want to unite Britain under Scotland, thwart the Spanish Reconquista or maintain the Inca empire? Suit yourself. [Issue#234]