8.7

1. Apr 1, 2015
    Amazing strategy game with a huge amount of depth but also with a huge learning curve if you've never played any of the games in this series. This is my first EU game and for the first 50-100 hours I was minimizing every so often to check the wiki and forum explanations to figure out some of the gameplay elements. If this seems intimidating, it should be, because EU4 is just that muchAmazing strategy game with a huge amount of depth but also with a huge learning curve if you've never played any of the games in this series. This is my first EU game and for the first 50-100 hours I was minimizing every so often to check the wiki and forum explanations to figure out some of the gameplay elements. If this seems intimidating, it should be, because EU4 is just that much deeper than most strategy games.

Technically EU4 is an RTS game but the pace you'll likely be playing it (at least in wars) is more like a turn-based game. AI is very well done and there is a good balance between historical events/progression and open-ended gameplay. I could go into much more detail but probably wouldn't say anything that hasn't been covered in other reviews.

Much deserved 10/10 but NOT recommended for 'casual' gamers. "Civ 5 for grown ups" is an accurate characterization. In short, if you're looking for a deep strategy game that will make a 5+ hour gaming session disappear in an instant... this is it.
  2. Feb 20, 2015
    Finaly something good. I played this for about 400 hours and it is awesome. Really. If you like grand strategy games ( like civilization 5) or have played other paradox games just buy it. It is awesome.
  3. Feb 19, 2015
    Good strategic game with lots to take care of. But way to much negative point, the tutorial mission are useless which make it really hard to understand that complex game. There is a lots of grammar mistake in the French version, and the text is way to small in 1920 p .
  4. Nov 18, 2014
    The pinnacle of paradox games and the best strategy game that is out at the moment. If you are a fan of strategy games then you simply must purchase this game.
  5. Nov 14, 2014
    Playing Civ V for a while this is my second Paradox game and I gotta say I love it. It takes a few games (on easy mode) to learn all features but than you are hooked. I really like the fact that diplomacy in EU4 is much more advanced than in most strategic games. You can set your own goals and make it as challenging as you like. Thanks Paradox for this gem!

I hope you all enjoy it!
  6. Oct 26, 2014
    If you're looking for a game that is deep but not impossible, that will entertain you while also keeping your brain cells alive. This may just be that game. This game has hours and hours of gameplay with superb player choices.

Some games claim to have choices that "alter the game world" or "change the way you play" This game kind of brings that notion in, and multiplies it by 10,000. One simple declaration of war without a casus beli can destroy your entire campaign. However one simple promotion of a general can win a war that was probable to end in certain loss. It's a game of logic, and a game of skill, and it's endlessly fun.
  7. Oct 25, 2014
    One of the best games I've ever played. Ever felt that Civ was a little too simple? Then welcome to Europa. It's a super complex game with a steep learning curve, but it's well worth it.

The only downside was the ending year. It felt like there should have been more or that I should have had the option to continue. However, that's forgiveable considering the quality of the game play.
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    This game is fantabulous. It outclasses all other strategy games including Total War and Civilization. My first EU, DLC awaits, and I cannot find anything wrong other than the fact that my mouse will break eventually.
  9. Oct 11, 2014
    A much better game than its predecessors. It is better made, the interface is similar but some tweaks have improved it greatly. The game itself is more pleasant to play and does not seem like a job like EU3 or the others, albeit being decent games too. EU4 is far from being as good as Crusader Kings 2 though. There are no family trees and you have no control over the succession of yourA much better game than its predecessors. It is better made, the interface is similar but some tweaks have improved it greatly. The game itself is more pleasant to play and does not seem like a job like EU3 or the others, albeit being decent games too. EU4 is far from being as good as Crusader Kings 2 though. There are no family trees and you have no control over the succession of your monarchs.
    You say, this is going to remove a way to take over a realm... but no, it is much easier to conquer land in EU4 than in Crusader Kings 2, especially if you have a good military or great prestige and reputation.
    I bought it at a huge discount on steam, but I think it worth at least 20$, so if you see it at the price or lower, buy it if you like strategy games. :)
  10. Oct 7, 2014
    I made the pope Animist 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000090000000000/10
  11. Sep 25, 2014
    Europa Universalis IV was my first Paradox game ever. I didn't even know the studio before. I had a chance to buy it for a couple of bucks during a Steam Sales.

Well, after playing more than 230 hours with multiple countries, all I can say is that this is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Really. First, as a person whose hobby is History and Geography, EUIV is

First, as a person whose hobby is History and Geography, EUIV is amazing.

Even though you are not interested in increasing your knowledge, the gameplay mechanics themselves are worth your time. They are extremely complexe. Mastering them requires at least 30 hours (which is generally, by the way, the maximum gaming time you will get for a 40-70 dollars game ;-) ) and then the game is extremely rewarding, since it requires you to think and to be clever.

Each game you play is unique : play France twice and you will get very different opportunnities. Imagine the number of possibilities knowing that you can play EVERY country on the map (France, Japan, Hedjaz, Morroco, Incas...) from any date (day, even) from 1444 to 1821. Playing a country during the entire timeline requires aprox. 80-100 hours.

Even better, Paradox Studios listen their fans and do all they can to enhance the game experience. Even if expansions are released, you do not need them to play and have fun (I have none of them). Especially since some of their features are available freely after release.

This game is just brilliant. After 230 hours playing, I am far from quitting. I still want to try at least dozens of countries.
    Now I am planning to buy other Paradox games !
  12. Sep 12, 2014
    I was utterly addicted to the game.. until the 1.6 & 1.7 that just made me quit it probably forever. It's one thing to fix bugs and adding missing features, it's another thing to modify the game mechanics again and again and again and actually making the game worse.
    Now it's pretty much pointless to play any non-European nation since they'll be utterly defenseless in late games, and westernization is much more excruciating with less benefits than before. If you don't westernize you are screwed; if you do you are still screwed, just a little bit less so. They might as well just stop wasting time on adding events/game mechanics for all non-European nations since there's no point in that. If I wanted to experience something completely historically accurate, I'd read Wikipedia on world history, thank you very much.
    Oh, and it's very irritating that, Monarchy Points, the one most vital resource to the game is nearly completely random, the super expensive +3 administrator means nothing when your ruler has 0 talent, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Nothing. At all. So instead of screwing around with working game mechanics, how about adding some sort of successor mechanics such that the player can select from a number of different successors, each with his own pro and cons.
  13. Sep 5, 2014
    This is randomizer - not a strategy game. Random unpredictable game events, random battle results. Very bugged patch 1.7. Waste of time. Shogun 2 or CIV5 more playable than this "product".
  14. Aug 23, 2014
    Although this game is not as bad designed as HoI it still is very bugged and very poorly designed.
    There are so many key bugs in this game that are causing you to lose a battle and for a game that was released in 2013 you would expect a more finished product by now.

Ones you play and therefor also test this product a little further ( which the developers did not do ) you come across some game breaking bugs.
    Moral values not working and manpower simply disappearing when a army is to big ( with the thousands a tick and without the message ).

Those kind of bugs should have been fixed long before the game is even released, however this developer is more busy releasing dlc for this game and not fixing these bugs.

Thats why this game gets a 3, the gameplay is poor and the fact that they give poor support on their product makes it so that they earn this score.
  15. Aug 22, 2014
    Beware the time sink!
    This is more a simulation than a game, but paradox has done a lot with the UI to make it accessible. The core theme is european expansion and colonisation from 15th to 19th century.
    Beware the time sink!

Different tech groups pace the speed of research, with the western group fastest and nomads at the bottom. Countries will eventually specialize in subgroups for military, exploration and so on according to their needs. You can play any country, and the monarch point system, diplomacy and alliances make small countries playable, coalitions hold aggressive monarchs in check.
    Overall it does a great job here. Spain at the fringes of Europe feels different from a continental power or the Ottomans, a western nation poses different tasks than an asian realm.

The game starts slow, with almost no options except diplomacy and military at first. It takes some time until other options unfold. Even losing a war once in a while is usually not the end.
    Slowly your reach and power expand, and new challenges and opportulities unfold. Scripted events according to actual history change the map.

Religion plays a big role. With religious ideas and laws, evangelising your whole realm is possible in a short time. (cultural conversion costs monarch points, so you usually leave this be). This feels somewhat unrealistic in an otherwise exceptionally balanced system; on the other hand you need a social tech group that could also improve military, expansion or trade.

The Wealth of Nations expansion added some trade improvements and closed an expansion loophole (integrating vassals was too cheap). The new rival and power projection system is also neat.
    I tried and dropped the first eu versions very fast - too complex and lost in detail. eu IV still hast tons of detail and depth, but is actually easily operated.
  16. Aug 20, 2014
    There is no feeling of satisfaction such as that of winning a war or successfully creating an empire. Europa Universalis 4 beautifully delivers that satisfaction. Though the first ten or so hours of play time may be frustrating, the game mechanics flow nearly seamlessly once learned. To all those saying it is too complicated or overly complex: EU4 does not pretend to be similar to anyThere is no feeling of satisfaction such as that of winning a war or successfully creating an empire. Europa Universalis 4 beautifully delivers that satisfaction. Though the first ten or so hours of play time may be frustrating, the game mechanics flow nearly seamlessly once learned. To all those saying it is too complicated or overly complex: EU4 does not pretend to be similar to any strategy such as the Civilization Series; it tries to simulate Europe as historically accurate as possible, which, as any history buff will know, is quite complicated. Expand
  17. Aug 16, 2014
    For someone who was expecting a lot of this game I was not disappointed. Paradox massively improved from Eu3 and made Eu4 a game that is different every time you play it. While there are some bugs that still need to be fixed no game is perfect and Paradox released some great DLC for this game. A definite buy for those looking to get into the Grand Strategy genre or already like it.
  18. Aug 16, 2014
    This is one of the best strategic game I ever played, in the beginning it is a little hard. I still don't get some of the features, but if you understand the basics of the game, it is a lot of fun. You can never finish the game, there are a lot of playable nations (all the nations) it covers the whole world except for a region of northern Siberia and a part of Alaska. I recommend this gameThis is one of the best strategic game I ever played, in the beginning it is a little hard. I still don't get some of the features, but if you understand the basics of the game, it is a lot of fun. You can never finish the game, there are a lot of playable nations (all the nations) it covers the whole world except for a region of northern Siberia and a part of Alaska. I recommend this game if you love strategic games! Expand
  19. Jul 25, 2014
    Out of Sync.

There is nothing worse than wanting to play an advanced grand strategy game than connecting to the game with a friend and being unable to play. EU4 has not resolved this issue, and it has plagued faithful buyers for years. While this is one of my favorite series, with in-depth complicated gameplay, it is in effect a single player game. Anyone who suggests otherwise, has
    Out of Sync.

EU4 has not resolved this issue, and it has plagued faithful buyers for years. While this is one of my favorite series, with in-depth complicated gameplay, it is in effect a single player game. Anyone who suggests otherwise, has not played very far into a scenario. It works great for the first couple of decades and then disintegrates into a explosion of saving the game manually across the network and reloading from the last good save.

If you want to play this game solo, its a 9/10. BUY IT...
    If you want to play with friends, please don't buy this game and quit reading the insane comments from people who have spent less than 10 hours playing the game. Do a simple google search for eu4 and OOS and find the hundreds of threads relating to this topic, that have persisted for several years in all of Paradox strategy games (Eu3, Crusader Kings, Victoria).
  20. Jul 21, 2014
    Eines der hochwertigsten Strategiespiele überhaupt. Benötigt eine längere Einarbeitung, entfaltet sich aber danach zu einem Meisterwerk. Das Spiel bietet hunderte Stunden an Spielspaß und lässt einem viele spielerische Freiheiten. Endlich hat man mal die Chance die Geschichte von einem anderen Blickwinkel aus zu erleben bzw. zu verändern. Unabhängig davon, ob man einen Handelsstaat oderEines der hochwertigsten Strategiespiele überhaupt. Benötigt eine längere Einarbeitung, entfaltet sich aber danach zu einem Meisterwerk. Das Spiel bietet hunderte Stunden an Spielspaß und lässt einem viele spielerische Freiheiten. Endlich hat man mal die Chance die Geschichte von einem anderen Blickwinkel aus zu erleben bzw. zu verändern. Unabhängig davon, ob man einen Handelsstaat oder eine imperialistische Großmacht spielen möchte, jede dieser Spielweisen macht unglaublich viel Spaß. Unbedingte Kaufempfehlung! Einziger Kritikpunkt sind die mangelhaften Übersetzungen vom Englischen ins Deutsche. Expand
  21. Jul 16, 2014
    The game was good at the begining, but after each patch, its quality drop constantly. Developer make the game become more boring and prevent player from expanding by any tool they can imagine. Please don't buy this game.
  22. Jun 14, 2014
    It's the perfect and maybe most realistic strategy game ever.
    I knew that when I bought it, but didn't think about what it literally means. It means, you have to spend maybe years to conquere the World, maybe at least 3 weeks of intensive gaming, to double the size of your country. It definitely takes too much time, and in my opinion it definitely lacks an easy mode.
    I recommend you to
    It's the perfect and maybe most realistic strategy game ever.
    I recommend you to play it, if you have at least two, or more lifes. If you only have one, do not waste 2 or more years on playing this game.
  23. Jun 5, 2014
    Loved EU3, even with the rather abruptly ending time-line. This? Ho boy.

Loved EU3, even with the rather abruptly ending time-line. This? Ho boy.

Paradox Interactive has decided after a repeated amount of failures to simply stream-line their product to a now shallow experience from what used to be an intensive and deep conquering experience. As EU3, EU4 features "Random events" that causes your countries stability to go down. The difference from this game and the prequel is that you could spend your country's budget on increasing the country's stability, be it re-building things, bribing rebellious people or just getting things in order.

What does this mean? Well, you sometimes had to pour every single ounce of your earnings into this as Stability meant more income and a happier populance and sometimes, the game could decide to be especially cruel and constantly ravage your country's stability. That was fine since you could be a careful ruler and prepared counter-measures such as a fat treasury or having the proper advisors. In EU4? Get unlucky with a lot of instability and you're boned by being utterly crippled by either not being able to research better governmenting or simply not gaining enough administrative power due to a rubbish leader. Rebels will also, comedically enough, everywhere at war-times, being many times the size of your country's total manpower as your entire economy also crumbles down to a shadow of It's former glory. The methods of reducing this? Wait around for administrative power. Yup. No budget relocation, no personal efforts from you and 100% impossible situations... Unless you Save & Load abuse, averting these random events.

It removes depth, It removes customizability, It removes consequences from user input and It's simply a pile of streamlined garbage because Instead of crafting a proper tutorial to get new people into this game, Paradox decided to just slam everything down so flat, any handicapped idiot can walk over it and seeing all these 10/10's being thrown like poop from monkeys makes me believe that everyone either hasn't even tried EU3 or failed to understand even a fraction of it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what they were trying to do by making advisors be "point" generators instead of allocating budget.. But the thing is, advisors are vomit-inducingly expensive. At the start of my game, the year 51 after christ, I could have the option of hiring an administrative helper. He demands a down-payment of 150 gold. Understandable since he is good but the sinner here is the additional 9.3 gold EVERY MONTH. How much is that? Well, let's just say It's far above the maximum amounts you can pay to enough to fully maintain an army of about 100,000+ men when you can only maintain about 20,000 men.

If you own 4-5 regions, you can expect a monthly income of about 2-3 gold discluding expenses. This means he either uses diamonds as toilet paper or has an incureable habit of breathing gold.. Just.... No. Try harder next time, Paradox Interactive.
  24. Jun 1, 2014
    Tried playing this game and just couldn't get into it. I kept getting wars with 8+ factions against me, and it just took forever to get anything done. Boring.
  25. May 31, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic game. I consider EU4 the best strategy game i've ever played. It is extremely detailed and quite complicated, which makes the game very immersive. This does however mean that the game will be difficult to enjoy if you're not willing to invest some time in learning the game, but the reward for investing a bit of time in this game is huge. There's nothing quite likeAbsolutely fantastic game. I consider EU4 the best strategy game i've ever played. It is extremely detailed and quite complicated, which makes the game very immersive. This does however mean that the game will be difficult to enjoy if you're not willing to invest some time in learning the game, but the reward for investing a bit of time in this game is huge. There's nothing quite like exploring the "what if's" of history. The multiplayer dimension of this game is very enjoyable if you enjoy a bit of scheming and friendly competition.
    I've noticed that a lot of the negative reviews complain about stuff like rebels and random bad things that will ruin your game. This isn't true, this is mainly a result of them not managing their nations properly.
  26. May 21, 2014
    A great grand strategy game with great width and depth. A successful combination of war, diplomacy, economy, colonization and more. A numbers game to a large extent with great level of detail for the one interested.
  27. Apr 10, 2014
    Sadly, a lot of work was put into this game and I wanted hard to like it but no, it sucks. If civ5 is a little predictable, EU4 is soo random. EU4 is superior to civ5 as to diplomacy BUT: Constant clock watching and reading of mundane pop-ups of bad news. Very few units and buildings and 90% of that implies no visuals. Not to mention that the battles are devoid of any strategy besidesSadly, a lot of work was put into this game and I wanted hard to like it but no, it sucks. If civ5 is a little predictable, EU4 is soo random. EU4 is superior to civ5 as to diplomacy BUT: Constant clock watching and reading of mundane pop-ups of bad news. Very few units and buildings and 90% of that implies no visuals. Not to mention that the battles are devoid of any strategy besides terrain modifiers and adding generals and admirals (which is more of a choice than a strategy anyways). Overly hard, boring and complicated. Virtually no tutorials. Nice graphics though. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2014
    Having never played an EU title previously, I can can hands down say that I am now hooked on this franchise (along with Crusader Kings). I have played the Total War series of games for years and enjoyed them for the most part, but this game has opened my eyes to how detailed and in-depth a strategy game can really be. OK, you don't get the fancy battle scenes like the TW series but, youHaving never played an EU title previously, I can can hands down say that I am now hooked on this franchise (along with Crusader Kings). I have played the Total War series of games for years and enjoyed them for the most part, but this game has opened my eyes to how detailed and in-depth a strategy game can really be. OK, you don't get the fancy battle scenes like the TW series but, you know something, I don't miss them. In fact, when I go back to TW, I miss the better strategy map and depth from EUIV than I miss the battles when playing EUIV. Now that basically says it all. Maybe it's an age thing, but you can stick all your fancy 3D graphics as far as I'm concerned - as I'd rather have this level depth and enjoyment any day of the week.

One word of warning, this can be a brutal experience for the uninitiated. Best thing to do is to start small and work your way up to a super power so you can learn the ropes, otherwise you'll just get frustrated in the early days of play. The amount of alliances and enemies you have to deal with when your one of the big guns can be overwhelming at first.

Buy this. You owe it to yourself to witness one of the finest PC games in years.
  29. Mar 26, 2014
    If you have a family, friends or a job this game is not for you. Most epic strategy experience you can get. Its hard to learn, but once you get it youll love it. GG Paradox, will await more.
  30. Mar 17, 2014
    Wow, just wow! Paradox have really stepped up their game. It took 10 years, but they finally did it! I am a hardcore fan of all the older EU games, but this simply takes it to the next level. The sheer amount of detail and work that went into this game is on a grand scale. Ignore the nostalgia fools comparing it to the earlier games.
  31. Mar 6, 2014
    I've never experienced a game like it in its attention to historical detail. I've likewise never experienced a game like it in how little fun it is to play.

Paradox has produced a game that will entice the student of history in you, but will likely bore the rest of you. To begin with, EU4's presentation is nothing if not opaque. This time they've made more of an effort to document the mechanisms of play in tutorials (and a fifty-page manual), but these efforts are still grossly insufficient to meet the punishing learning curve. Without constant reference to the wiki or official forums, a new player will be hopelessly lost. Despite what Paradox grognards seem to believe, this is not a positive feature.

Ultimately, should you invest the 10+ hours needed to arm yourself with the basic understanding needed to play at all, you will be left with an intensely hollow experience. In the long run, it can be a joy to see your plans come to fruition, but in the interim, you will be left with a lot of clock-watching and empty busywork as the game continues to bombard you with trivial pop-ups for mundane tasks that, irritatingly, cannot be left on autopilot (the Curia control system is most egregious in this regard). The sheer volume of flags, however, belie their emptiness - there's very little fun to be had in maintaining your empire while waiting for your next opportunity to strike.

For all the Europa Universalis series has been billed as part of the military strategy genre, the warfare is incredibly shallow. There are virtually no tactics involved in prosecuting a war; in some cases terrain may aid a defender, but neither logistics nor heroics are any match for economics in EU's world. Ultimately, this is a game of diplomacy - of decades-long plans to inveigle certain nations into attacking you only to be crushed, of forming royal marriages for the sake of later usurping that nation's throne, of excising provinces from a rival empire over and over again until it is small enough to be vassalized. That description gives the game an air of intrigue and mystery, but make no mistake: the game has all the mystique (and presentation) of an Excel spreadsheet.

The actual mechanics of play are deceptively simplistic - success in this game relies on diplomatic strategy, but shaping a good strategy relies on an intense, almost professional understanding of the game's unexplained and often invisible logic. That's not even bringing the unfair and unpredictable nature of random events (such as the infamous comet) into the discussion. Ultimately, the best strategies are those that play to the AI's weaknesses and the idiosyncracies of the game mechanics. Though carrying out your strategy requires nothing more strenuous than navigation through a few menus, it is a long process of trial and error to determine which buttons to push and when, and the best methods are often counter-intuitive (if not totally illogical). For instance, the Overextension mechanics restrict the number of provinces you can hope to gain in war to such an extent that the only way to expand with any speed is by integrating vassals and junior partners - and God help you if you attempt to make use of those game mechanics without several hours of wiki-crawling and a few Paradox forum threads.

The Metacritic score for this game is extremely misleading: despite Paradox's obvious attempt to reach out to new players with polished graphics and tutorials, Europa Universalis IV is not a game that anyone outside its niche will enjoy. Paradox's grand plan for its strategy game lines is essentially to sell slight variations on the same game over and over again to a hard core of devoted fans. Those who enjoy this game are those who do not flinch at the unforgiving, opaque, tedious, and frustrating nature of the experience. For players who are not willing to spend 100+ hours clicking flags, who don't mind watching dozens of hours of work go up in smoke after a couple of random events pop, or who have no objections to constantly alt-tabbing to outside information resources, this game must be Heaven. For the rest of us, it's reminiscent of someplace altogether different.
  32. Feb 20, 2014
    After sinking (way too much) time into this game, I can say that I absolutely LOVE it.
    However, be warned that this style fits a particular kind of strategy gamer, not all of them. For example, if you enjoy Total War games (which I also love), EU IV might not necessarily give you the right thrill.

For one thing, it has a steep learning curve for newcomers (such as myself), who didn't play EU III or similar installments from Paradox, but if you have the patience to learn the details (and there are many of them), you get to play a game that covers a fascinating historic period, on an unsurpassed scale - the entire span of the globe, no less, from East to West.
    It has a deep diplomatic model, which can be very satisfying to use. Wars, in particular, are not a matter of extermination, but can rather serve as a means to weaken an enemy, gain some territory, or (my favorite) force enemies to grant independence to countries they had annexed earlier.

On the other hand, the satisfaction EU IV provides is mostly cerebral. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing your carefully laid plans bear fruit, but your time is spent gazing at the map which, as pretty as it may be, is still a map; and at numerous icons, texts, and information sheets. EU IV might be a very complex board game, but that's what it is, basically. In regards to audio-visual entertainment, the cover image is the most exciting part of the game, so if that's what you're after, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Still, if you enjoy strategizing, outwitting foes, and growing a country that you picked to scary proportions, I believe you will love Europa Universalis IV almost as much as I do.
  33. Feb 15, 2014
    Paradox Development Studio has done it again with another great grand strategy game, EU4 puts you as a country and you have to take over the world or become number one in the world you play,
    that sounds easy but it is not as easy as you my first think depending on what country you start with.
    if you enjoyed CK2 you will enjoy this
  34. Feb 15, 2014
    EU IV improves on EU III on nearly every level. The mechanics are less opaque, the gameplay is more accessible without losing complexity, and the introduction of Ironman mode provides an actual incentive to become actually GOOD at the game instead of just reloading saves every time things don't go your way.
  35. Feb 14, 2014
    Well, I spent around 400 hours with this game so far. 400 real time, pure hours with computer game and I have to say I am happy for it. I learnt great deal of history out of that. This is one of few games that deserve adjective "historical". It isn't as pretty as other grand strategies around (not naming), but that's not where the strength of EU lies. It doesn't have eye candylikeWell, I spent around 400 hours with this game so far. 400 real time, pure hours with computer game and I have to say I am happy for it. I learnt great deal of history out of that. This is one of few games that deserve adjective "historical". It isn't as pretty as other grand strategies around (not naming), but that's not where the strength of EU lies. It doesn't have eye candylike animations, nor effects, it has tens of statistics. Now all these statistics are realistic - you have administrative points, which accumulate if not being used depending mainly of how clever the ruler is. You use these points to increase overall stability of the realm. === it simlulates huge effort which countries had to do to stabilize their realm and they couldn't do it if they focused at the same time on other things like "coring" (or assimilating) new lands into the country.
    -----
    With deal of imagination and creative thinking, you can find the most accurate history simulation out there.
    ----- Ratings: -----
    * AI 9/10 (AI is vastly better programmed than similar games and will offer challange for hundreads of hours)
    * Graphics 6/10 (You see the map strategically, you cannot enter battles, you cannot fully see your cities, at the same time you see loads of details of the world. You may fall in love with seazon changes around the world, freezing lakes and rivers or blooming trees)
    * Histocial accuracy 9/10
    * Realism 9/10
    * Gameplay 9/10
  36. Feb 11, 2014
    EU4 is a grand strategy game that keeps its predecessors model (EU3), with updated graphics and a more enriched feel to a grand strategy game its a joy to play. Each nation can rise to power and fall only to rise again within the same game, something all strategy games should copy. I like the new ideas, and tech system which allows u to upgrade tech then ideas to enhance a nationEU4 is a grand strategy game that keeps its predecessors model (EU3), with updated graphics and a more enriched feel to a grand strategy game its a joy to play. Each nation can rise to power and fall only to rise again within the same game, something all strategy games should copy. I like the new ideas, and tech system which allows u to upgrade tech then ideas to enhance a nation abilities, with a variety of choice, will u be an explorer or a conquer a merchant or an innovator, all is possible. The new diplomatic, military and administrator point system works great forcing u to think about when its time for peace so u can save military points for new military tech or go to war also they affect the construction buildings, they also have to b shared between ur ideas and tech. I found it a delight when they brought out an expansion pack that gave new native American nation and tech ect about time really....
    1 down side is that the AI doesnt really compete over the new world like I would have like, with only 2 - 3 nation really making an effort to colonise it becomes easy to take over the new world. Also I would have liked a more dynamic events system which allows for a nation to activily go though a civil war with regions divided up according to faction within the civil war similar to crusader kings 2 (mayb that will b in the expansion packs). Also colonies dont tend to want independents at all unless ur a complete dick to them. I would have liked random events that allow France to have a revolution at any time during the game or a more aggressive cultural change for the American culture from the English culture ect, in addition it would b nice if it was easier to cause spys to create political problems in other nations (that includes the AI sending spys to cause riots in my regions) as it seems pointless even using spys. That being send its a great game and I look forwards for further updates and expansions.
  37. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is not horrible. But not what I expected there are a few things that get on my nerves when playing the game. One is that the game is very dark. not bright at all. Another thing is that the mac version is extremely laggy and delays when you try to move the screen. the time speed increase should be a little faster. And I don't like the new technology and nerfed buildings. I just pointed out some of the bad parts of the game. I do like the new relations and diplomacy system instead of there being a random chance of a nation accepting an alliance like in the third title. Expand
  38. Jan 29, 2014
    This is my second review on this game and I just wanna update a few points I didn't mention before.

First of all, to open the real door of this game, you need to active "Iron Man" mode in the option, which allow you to obtain achievements and also limit your saving file to only one. And during the game, it will auto save each month or when certain events happens. These setting will greatly alleviate pain of random dice issue in the war since in the most of case you will not put your army into a dangerous situation(or even in the balanced one) due to the fact you may win a battle but lose the war and there is only one record you can reload.

Secondly, I guess most of players who just played within 40h may the part of exploring and colonizing. As you see, the whole game map only get charted a small part, and a big world is waiting for you to discovery. Unfortunately, there is no words mentioned this fact in EU4 tutorial... Go youtube, and find a way to allow allow you to do so.

Last, I said technology upgrade is not that effective in my previous post, and that is totally wrong. Actually, their effects could became very obvious, especially when your tech tie is over other by 2 or more( at least, it is very true for military tech line). And normally, you can't over tech other countries too much as there is a limitation/roof for each tech line could reach in the certain age unless you are willing to expend substantially extra points and time for that.

By understanding all these design rules, I think it is worth a score of 8. However, this deep depth will restraint a lot of people to find the fun from the game. After all, most of the reviewer of this game who give 9/10 score are very likely to fail to understand these rules& complicity but do the comparison superficially.

Anyway, the Paradox game seems to be designed for player to learn not play in their first 50h :)
  39. Jan 25, 2014
    The game is definitely a great game and a must buy. While the strategy is different from game series's like Total War or Civilization. The game may seem daunting to people new to paradox grand strategy games however, the tutorials are very good and will definitely help you when you start playing. The game is very challenging and complex but at the same time , the game is also designed soThe game is definitely a great game and a must buy. While the strategy is different from game series's like Total War or Civilization. The game may seem daunting to people new to paradox grand strategy games however, the tutorials are very good and will definitely help you when you start playing. The game is very challenging and complex but at the same time , the game is also designed so that new players can get right in and have a great time. I have never played any previous games of this genre (grand strategy I previously stuck with Total War and Civilization) and I was afraid that I would get bored quickly. This game provides a great entry for people new to the genre for those who have found it too daunting or complex beforehand. Expand
  40. Jan 14, 2014
    EUIV will go down as one of the best of its genre. Ive played the EU series, CK II, V II & all the CIVs. This one is in depth, the alliances and diplomacy is extremely vital particular if you are smaller nation whereby the strength of your alliances are as vital as your armies.

Example, as the Papal States, I was able to ride France and a combination of moving alliances w/ Switzerland, Poland, Hungary and smaller alliances, ie. Savoy to unite provinces before turning on Savoy and taking Piedmont with the help of Lorraine to whom for 100 years we were enemies.

Moreover, you can use the diplomacy system to drive wedges in Alliances. Example, I needed to take Venice but Aragaon was allied with both Venice and other Allies and would have backed Venice if I attacked. So I spent a few years goading Aragaon into attacking me, France and my Allies backed up, Venice stayed in a coalition to attack. Viola, I kept my allies, won the war and now have Venice ready to fall once the true ends.

Another key point is that its better to take a minor loss than doggedly hang in, losing cash or manpower. If you are losing the battle, drop out. Take a loss of territory, rebuild a better alliance and retake the land. If a foreign army defeated you and you dont have an army ready to retake the land, conceede the territory otherwise the army will roll up your other properties and will take even more.

Combat has improved in so far as you need to take into account terrain more than in other Paradox titles. Have a stack of 20, think it will crush that stack of 10? Oh **** its dug in on a mountain? Bye bye. Morale low? Bye bye.

Use smaller units to draw opposing enemies trying to crush a smaller army on terrain favourable to you so they take the penalty, then march your larger stack in. A small stack on favourable terrain will hold out, your larger stack arrives and now you have trapped their army.

What i dont like is the armies and battles while important seem very generic. There is no feel. I cant get it a perfect score despite having hrs of fun because combat on a whole can still come down to mass.

Good: Diplomacy, usage of points as opposed to cash to research tech, use of inflation to stop hoarding cash thus forcing investments. Multiple directions to achieve a variety of self chosen goals.

Bad: Combat needs to have an improved feel. Its still bland.

If you like the genre, you'll love the game. If you're new to the genre, save regularly and take the first 100 years as a learning experience. Id give it 10/10 but for the combat needing work.
  41. Jan 12, 2014
    This is the first EU game I've played. At first I liked it (once I got past the steep learning curve), but then the flaws started showing- there's way too much randomness in this game which is not bad in itself, the problem is that this randomness has huge, tremendous impact on your game- it can turn it into a boring snooze fest or completely break it depending on what random events youThis is the first EU game I've played. At first I liked it (once I got past the steep learning curve), but then the flaws started showing- there's way too much randomness in this game which is not bad in itself, the problem is that this randomness has huge, tremendous impact on your game- it can turn it into a boring snooze fest or completely break it depending on what random events you get and by random events I mean also the stats of your ruler, whether he dies prematurely and you end up unable to declare wars for a very long time or worse- your heir dies and then your ruler and it can literally mean game over. There are many more examples of why this is all bad design and not fun at all.

Then you get to the late game, once your nation has reached a certain size it becomes a pain to expand. There are all sorts of terrible mechanics in place to make late game expansion as painful (not difficult, just boring, tedious, repetitive and painful) as possible.

On the bright side, it's a one of a kind game with huge potential and a must try for every fan of strategy games. It's also very cheap so it's still worth getting IMO despite the flaws I've pointed out earlier. I'll give it a 7 because of good, frequent patches which have straightened some issues and might fix some more in the future.
  42. Jan 11, 2014
    My only complaint about the game is the large amount of DLC, Which 1 year in stands at 10 different pieces. Hence the nine.

Overall the integration of history has been done extremely well. Events can be significant but at the same time do not make or break most games (Only real big one I can think of is Burgundian Inheritance). Outside of Europe there is less polish (with exceptions to Japan and Ottomans), yet outside of NA you can always find at least one unique player. Combined with mods ( Now easily available through steam workshop) you can get a great experience.

Then there is the experiments you craft yourself, to see the Cherokee dominate North America, the Aztec conquer both Americas. To unite imperial japan and combat through Asia while colonizing the new world. To break away as Naples and unite the great boot of Italy. To turn Novgorod, a trading nation annexed by Muscovy with armies about 2 times larger, into a nation that not only remains but is able to overcome Muscovy to form a new democratic Russia. These are a few of my experience. A very fun way of playing against history.

EU4 has a great level of mechanics. It emphasizes macro decisions, long term planning and paying attention to alliances as the world shifts around you. What makes the system great however I would say comes down to the fact that it is harshly enforced while relatively simply to understand (A few games to figure out) Playing as Austria one quickly learns the folly of ransacking smaller neighbors.

Overall a great game that I've played for 200 hours, and continue to play. All for 40$
  43. Jan 9, 2014
    As a vivid total war fan, I was amazed by the amount of gameplay you can get from this game and I now have more hours playing this game than all the total wars (that are on steam) combined...Having said that the game is a "heavy" strategy game and it takes a good 20 hours before you have properly learnt the mechanics and another 100 untill you've really learnt everything (not that it isAs a vivid total war fan, I was amazed by the amount of gameplay you can get from this game and I now have more hours playing this game than all the total wars (that are on steam) combined...Having said that the game is a "heavy" strategy game and it takes a good 20 hours before you have properly learnt the mechanics and another 100 untill you've really learnt everything (not that it is necessary to have learnt every mechanic in the game to have fun) Expand
  44. Jan 8, 2014
    This game is just awful. It is boring and is not very user friendly. If you want to get achievements you need to use ironman mode which uses the steam cloud to save. Let me tell you that the steam cloud is for saving. The game drags out and you need serious will power to make it to the end. I give this game 5 stars.
  45. Jan 4, 2014
    If you like strategy games, this is:
    The.Best.Game.Ever.
    Period. Look no further. I envy you if this is your first taste of Europa Universalis. Sit back, relax, take your time, and Enjoy! You're in for a long haul. May it bring you countless hours of enjoyment. If you're a fan of EU III and on the fence about diving into IV, DO IT!!! There is so much more to do here, and so much
    If you like strategy games, this is:
    The.Best.Game.Ever.
    Period.
    Look no further.
    If you're a fan of EU III and on the fence about diving into IV, DO IT!!! There is so much more to do here, and so much improvement in diplomacy, trade, economy, military, etc ....
    EU IV is simply awesome.
  46. Dec 30, 2013
    This is a game of bad news. For every one positive event you will have 100 negative events. Most people will tell you how good a dog turd smells on the internet. It really is sad that no one can make a good strategy game these days. This was my first and last experience with Paradox Interactive. Save your money Most people reviewing this product have played much worse games by Paradox soThis is a game of bad news. For every one positive event you will have 100 negative events. Most people will tell you how good a dog turd smells on the internet. It really is sad that no one can make a good strategy game these days. This was my first and last experience with Paradox Interactive. Save your money Most people reviewing this product have played much worse games by Paradox so this trash actually looks good to them. Expand
  47. Dec 28, 2013
    what a fascinating improvement! The graphics are better than Europa universalis and the historical content still stays the same.This game is like crusader kings but a whole lot bigger.Well done PARADOX!
  48. Dec 27, 2013
    I love Paradox, and Europa, Crusader Kings etc. However, this felt like a total disgrace to the series.
    It is awkward to begin with and yet it also manages to dump itself down considerably. But do not fear...
    We get coalitions! Which just doesn't work. I would be happy if neighbour states in fear of you formed these, but Ohhh no! It doesn't work by fear it doesn't work by how much

We get coalitions!
    Which just doesn't work. I would be happy if neighbour states in fear of you formed these, but Ohhh no! It doesn't work by fear it doesn't work by how much you want to war with them either.
    It works by "over extension" ie. if you have too many uncored provinces.
    What?
    Yes! Totally understandable why say France, with no colonies is mad at me Britain, in having too many uncored colonies.. Ofcourse! This totally effects them.

Don't worry though we still have a Austria-dominant HRE which is always formed.
    And don't worry! France always acquires parts of Spain, and Spain, Portugal.
    And don't worry! We get an over-powered Denmark who can quite easily form Scandinavia.

Culture change is super easy now too, and no matter what, your nation will always end up technologically in-advanced.

No new provinces are introduced as far as I can tell and even better we are limited to having so many relations!

The only good part is the CK2 EU4 converter, everything else is the exact same.
    A waste of money. If you want this game: Buy Europa Universalis III
  49. Dec 26, 2013
    Unique historical strategy. Difficult to enter. but if you understand it, you love it. Nice graphics, user-friendly interface and addictive gameplay.
    The game has many of little things that generally create a unique gaming experience.
  50. Dec 23, 2013
    This is a potentially good title but not ready for prime time. Assets include the ability to take over the realm of your choice in the year of your choice and manage a lot of interesting contingencies within a realistic historical context. There's a lot not to like, however. Documentation is scanty and imperfectly grammatical. The interface is a kludge and not very intuitive for new users,This is a potentially good title but not ready for prime time. Assets include the ability to take over the realm of your choice in the year of your choice and manage a lot of interesting contingencies within a realistic historical context. There's a lot not to like, however. Documentation is scanty and imperfectly grammatical. The interface is a kludge and not very intuitive for new users, plus there are still annoying glitches after more than four months. The user forums don't notify you when a topic you're following is updated, and there is outright flaming of beginners from veteran users. Here's a representative comment: "Why don't you quit whining and learn to use a simple interface?" Perhaps the biggest problem is that the game mechanics are almost impenetrable in their complexity and the playing experience is like being nibbled to death by snails. Expand
  51. Dec 16, 2013
    Great game. Very addicting. A few minor quarks but every game has them. Paradox is getting better and better over time though. In a few years, I bet I have all their major titles, instead of just Hearts and Europa.
  52. Dec 16, 2013
    I've been playing since EU3 IN, and while this game lacks the labyrinth of content featured in EU3, its much more focused, much more accessible, much less boring. Its decidedly easier to play from the start date to the end, and gameplay stays pretty playable and constant throughout, where I would usually quit EU3 by the 1600s.

All in all, its a fun game, and a nice change of pace from

All in all, its a fun game, and a nice change of pace from other PI titles. Before EU3 was like a dumbed down version of Victoria 2, but now the EU franchise stands on its own among the PI titles.
  53. Dec 15, 2013
    Paradox made a game that is both greatly enjoyable and educative! It would be a great idea if schools and Unis around the world start using EU4 as a complement to history teaching!
  54. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is a good strategy game and not too dumbed down. We owe it to Paradox Interactive for not succumbing to the pressure of casual gamers and their inattentive wallets.
  55. Dec 13, 2013
    With Clausewitz engine, the game seems quite better. The map whets the appetites of players, as in Crusader Kings II. Same motor, different lanes. EU series are RTS games, which pressurize total-war lovers; but in this sequence you can clearly see the points of game. Panels are self-explanatory and simplified. This fact can irritate harcore Paradox fans, but the game needs more newbies toWith Clausewitz engine, the game seems quite better. The map whets the appetites of players, as in Crusader Kings II. Same motor, different lanes. EU series are RTS games, which pressurize total-war lovers; but in this sequence you can clearly see the points of game. Panels are self-explanatory and simplified. This fact can irritate harcore Paradox fans, but the game needs more newbies to expand itself. Without losing its own core mechanics, applying this novelties is a pointed strike for Paradox Interactive. We expect CK3 or Victoria 3 for near future!!! Expand
  56. Dec 11, 2013
    This game was really cool at first, but by the end of my game (after 60 hours of game play or so) the game has lost all of the fun and interesting elements to it. The strategy in the game seems very limited. By comparison, I feel that Civ 5 has WAY more strategical depth and important decisions to make throughout an entire game.

-Technology is a joke: its impractical to take

-Technology is a joke: its impractical to take technologies ahead of time, so you end up at the same technological ability as all of the other top rivals. The only real difference would be through the Idea groups. That's basically you're biggest economic strategical decision to make in the game which Idea groups to invest in. However, these aren't exactly overly influential to the game play.

Decisions on money spending: You basically have to choose which buildings to build, or how many troops to raise. I don't feel like this decision is generally very difficult, or even that important. Usually you get as big of an army/navy as you need, and spend the rest on buildings. The buildings don't do much though, and its usually not tough to figure out where or what buildings to build.

Combat: Combat is really annoying more than strategical. The AI is very pesky and it forces you to constantly pay attention and combat their movements with your own. Its very tedious because they can be very hit and run style, and unless you pay very close attention and turn down the game speed, they will take advantage of you. And even when you do pay close attention, its not difficult to figure out where you want your troops, its just tedious work.

Diplomacy: Annoying. I am allied with England, but if I go to War with France and their allies Burgundy and Scottland, England won't really help me, they will only attack Scottland and leave me to die via huge armies from Burgandy/France. Also, when they call me to war, and I help them by taking over all of France, they will then sign for peace, and I get no new territories, wtf...

Random Events: powerful but uncontrollable? no thanks.

Positives:
    -I do like the UI, its fairly easy to do things in this game mass build, queue units, get to different screens, transport units.
    -Music is really good, though if you don't like it, it could get repetitive.
    -First 100 years were pretty exciting, more things to do at that point.

I am definitely disappointed in this game. It is not fun. This game is complicated because it has a lot of different components to it, and hard to figure out how they all work, but it is not complicated from a strategy perspective, i think you'll see how simple it really is after you figure out how all the components of this game work. Like another reviewer said, its basically Risk with a thin layer of economy and diplomacy attached.
  57. Dec 9, 2013
    Picked this up in a recent steam sale. I hadn't played any of the previous EU games and gave the reviews a read before jumping in and was overwhelmed by how positive they are.

The best word I can use to describe this game is obtuse. It is extremely unforgiving of any early players. So what anyone, who hasn't played the early versions, needs to know is that this game requires a lot of time to get to grips with. I personally picked this up for a laptop game to play whilst travelling and just can't be bothered to master it's overly complicated UI and subtle nuances. For those willing to invest the time I'm sure all these 10s are deserving but if you are looking for something Enjoyable right off the bat keep looking. This game will mock you with it's overly complex UI and seemingly inane strategy system.

Im still at the point after about 5 hours where everything feels random earlier today an army of 20k English troops got decimated by a Lancashire revolt of 6k. I met them on a plane and they just fought through me like I wasn't there. It's unexplained stuff like this that gets me. The game requires you to go hunting for the stat that caused this battle to go so very wrong, it won't show you or tell you why you lost that would be far to straight forward. As I say this is obtuse.

I imagine the 10s are from those who have managed to master it's subtleties but for anyone looking to jump in and play know you are in for a very hard time at first and if you aren't wiling to invest that time it will be an ultimately poor experience. That is how I have graded this game, no doubt I will have a fair few people moan 'how can i judge a game when i haven't committed to learn it blah blah blah blah). However there are probably others like me out there considering this game and I will say only buy if you have the time.
  58. Dec 9, 2013
    Over 350 hours in at this point if You are a history nerd, grand strategist, or love to see a game play out in infinite variation this is your game. Drop Civilization and play this now. For those unfamiliar with the franchise the timer system (you pause, adjust speed, and start again), constantly active gameplay, and the ability to determine your own criteria for "winning" the gameOver 350 hours in at this point if You are a history nerd, grand strategist, or love to see a game play out in infinite variation this is your game. Drop Civilization and play this now. For those unfamiliar with the franchise the timer system (you pause, adjust speed, and start again), constantly active gameplay, and the ability to determine your own criteria for "winning" the game provides the ultimate open-ended strategy experience. Expand
  59. Dec 8, 2013
    How troubling is to review a PDS game... They are works in progress.
    But I feel something must be said about EU4 so long after its initial release.
    I was among the ones who pre-ordered it and I admit it was the first game I bought instead of pirating in, what? 10 years? The other game I bought before EU4 was Starcraft: Broodwar for you to have an idea. CK2 left a very good impresion in
    How troubling is to review a PDS game... They are works in progress.
    But I feel something must be said about EU4 so long after its initial release.
    CK2 left a very good impresion in me, I thought PDS was finally getting a hang of things and I decided to support them. And when EU4 came, I played a bit with Burgundy, I was a litlle frustrated and regreted my decision, shelving the game.
    But then came all the patchs, game fixes and balances (like trade nerfing). Now EU4 is amazing and I already spent hours and hours and hours in this game, bulding Switzerland into a constitutional republic, an economical world power against France, making my north American kingdom with a norwegian court-in-exile, and many others plays.
    I didn't understood the sinergy and connection between Monarchic Points, technology, buildings and everything else at first, but now I see how well planed and structured everything is in this game and I'm enjoying very much. The only bad thing I would say, is that same thing that EU3 also had: is a deterministic game. You can't take Spain and go for a military non-colonial game, you can't take Brandenburg and not focus on forming Germany/Prussia, otherwise the game punishs you and thing lose sense. Also the lack of natives in South America, and how the lack of a La Plata trade node.
    Anyway, it's an awesome iteration and I hope that East versus West follows its footsteps.
  60. Dec 5, 2013
    After about an hour of looking at the world map of 1444 all its factions, religions, diplomatic entanglements (alliances, etc) and more I was finally confident enough to choose my first starting nation.

There is a lot going on in this game, don't let the simple graphics fool you. (Note: the demo is limited to Europe for some reason and makes the game appear smaller or simpler that it actually is.) Prepare to be educated if you've never played an EU game before, but I stuck it through and found that no two play-thrus are alike. Each play-thru is memorable and makes me want to go back and try a new strategy.

The tutorial could have been more in depth it did not prepare me whatsoever for the intricacies of the game.
  61. Nov 28, 2013
    Before I get into my thoughts about the game I'd like to state that this is my 2nd Paradox game after Victoria 2(V2) and my opinions will be biased based on the hundreds of hours I've spent on playing V2. I read alot of glowing reviews before buying EU4 and even more before writing this which makes me feel like they either have very little experience with gs games or they didn't playBefore I get into my thoughts about the game I'd like to state that this is my 2nd Paradox game after Victoria 2(V2) and my opinions will be biased based on the hundreds of hours I've spent on playing V2. I read alot of glowing reviews before buying EU4 and even more before writing this which makes me feel like they either have very little experience with gs games or they didn't play very much before writing the reviews.

The first thing I read was that a new player could pick any little nation and jump right in with the potential to become a world power; this couldn't be further from the truth. Even after extensive reading and testing(and I'd consider myself a veteran of strategy games), I found it basically impossible to play anything other than a european great power if I wanted to accomplish anything other than sitting there passively building up points for decades at a time. The "monarch points" system is a major design flaw in my eyes and seriously hurts the flow of the game; all of the points are linked to at multiple different uses and really affects your ability to experience control of your nation without giving up other aspects. What this basically means is that if you declare war alot, your navy will fall behind because its linked to diplomatic points while the same idea holds true for administrative points because you have to use it for administrative technology and "ideas" which are basically traits you can pick for your nation plus all the points are linked to different buildings forcing you to pick over another choice. When you compare this to the system in V2, all of these things are on their own point system and aren't shared with other actions meaning research points are strictly for new research and you aren't forced to use them to acquire territory or perform anything else.

One thing I noticed was that no matter who I played, unless I was playing a great power I could never seem to field more than a tiny army in comparison to some of the enormous million man armies I've fielded in V2. Even playing as spain while being the 1st great power with an enormous empire spanning most of south and north america nearly 70% through the game I had a laughably small army of maybe 120-150k men while barely breaking even and almost all of it was required simply to keep France and its allies at bay leaving little opportunity to attack anyone elsewhere or even to really defend most of my empire. In comparison to V2, I just feel like I'm almost better off not fighting anyone simply because I'm losing points for capturing territory and having different resources from territories means basically nothing since none of the units require anything specific to build. In V2 there are certain provinces that contain extremely valuable resources like rubber and coal which are required for many military units/buildings and it just doesn't feel like there's any real urgency to capture anything in EU4 in comparison.

Another major issue I have with the game is the huge amount of random events;they are pretty much just there to make your life more difficult; Some of them were just minor nuisances like a bit of lost prestige and some of them were major crippling events like losing tech points or like stability loss during early wars putting my fragile economy negative in an already gold starved game. Buildings are also mostly pointless because of the incredible cost sink and the relatively tiny gains(+0.01 gold per month in most cases) meaning it would take decades or more just for them to pay for the initial investment while random events can cost you even more gold.

While I really enjoyed the idea of having to explore the "new world" and not knowing what each colony even had to offer this too was flawed because of the goofy colonial design. Because of the way the naval distance works and the fact that you have to use technology points for the idea traits required to colonize, only portugal, spain and possibly france via north west africa(though i haven't tested it) can even attempt to colonize anything until much later in the game. The only way to really colonize is a linear path to brazil(or south into africa) via cape verde or one of 3 unclaimed west african provinces, and because of the distances and locations this either locks most european nations out of the colonial race entirely or until they have enough tech to completely cross the ocean without a bridging colony. While this may hold some historical truth it doesn't make alot of sense in a game that basically encourages you to change what happened historically.

While I've said alot negative about the game it wasn't my intention to bash the game, just to describe my griefs and it's mostly nitpicking from a strategy game autists PoV. The game is still decent and I especially enjoyed the music, it just could have been so much more given a few mechanical direction changes.
  62. Nov 28, 2013
    A lot of gamers here complain that the game is hard and difficult to play, but the truth is quite the opposite !
    To me, it feels just like a complex version of Risk! Here lies the problem for me... This game could have been so much better it feels just like a remake of an european cult classic by the holywood producers...
    Where is the internal dynamics of the state there is none..
    Where is the internal dynamics of the state there is none.. Where is the charm of the eras played through the game? (Renaissance, baroque) Where are the strategical and tactical elements of the battles played?... and so, on so on.. Nice graphics though..
  63. Nov 25, 2013
    First of all, I'm a new player to EU. Then, to briefly sum up, that game is great but unfinished.

Let's start by the wrong side the game crashes quite often (like 1 time on 5 or 6 when I accept a peace treaty), the translation isn't over (I'm playing the french version, and lots of stuff are nearly un-understandable due to translation that doesn't always make sense, sometimes not even translated), there's code in some pop-ups (FRONT_Stuff), and so on...

Now the good side I find it a great strategy game, for it is complex (sometimes a bit too much, considering there are some information lacking, mostly about trade, and the ingame help is not really helping for it is far too short) but still manageable. The system of diplomatic alliances is complex yet you can't but use it if you plan on becoming important (and not being override by your foes), your economy is quite hard to manage (wars nearly always ruined me in the first times), and even after hours of playing, you still discover stuff you never noticed.

Then again, it might not be different from previous EU, I can't compare. But this game is definitely great, though I advise you to wait for its development to be really ended.
  64. Nov 22, 2013
    I'm new to the eu series and have just started playing eu4. I was apprehensive at first and worried about the 'spreadsheet effect' but now find it totally absorbing and fun. I would certainly advise any other newcomers to give it a good few hours play before making up their minds. It's a beautifully crafted and deep game which simulates well the historical process. I find I have toI'm new to the eu series and have just started playing eu4. I was apprehensive at first and worried about the 'spreadsheet effect' but now find it totally absorbing and fun. I would certainly advise any other newcomers to give it a good few hours play before making up their minds. It's a beautifully crafted and deep game which simulates well the historical process. I find I have to think very carefully about decisions because the ai will pounce if I do something stupid. I'm a long time player of the Civ series but this feels much more satisfying. Diplomacy, always a background irritation that I largely ignored in the Civ games, works very well in eu4 and has to be taken seriously into account. I like the way trade works too. All in all, I've still only scratched the surface of the game but can tell that it will provide me with many hours of entertainment, with lots of variety. Well done to all concerned in its production! Expand
  65. Nov 22, 2013
    I have to agree with the posters that say the text is far too small, and really the whole UI is way to small. It's like paradox is trying to show off as much of their map as possible, but it's really unspectacular anyway. Horrible, tiny, little icons spread all the way around the map, things should be centralized to one side, or two at most.

This is a really slow game, very hard to

This is a really slow game, very hard to get into unlike other games where you can hop right in, pick it up more or less right away, and only have to learn about or research a few alien principals or gameplay mechanics. I'm sure it's satisfying for those that enjoy it, but it's DEFINITELY not created in a way that will appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers and gaming styles.

Bottom line: both the game and the gameplay need to be a lot more inviting and user friendly.
  66. Nov 19, 2013
    A great working game with a depth, which should take place as model in genre of strategy.
    There are uncountable ways to reign your nation and to expand. You can play it nearly complete peaceful or conquer all the world.
    The DLC policy by Paradox is fair. There are a few bugs, but Paradox is publishing a lot of free updates to improve the game until it is working well. Currently it

The DLC policy by Paradox is fair.

Currently it keeps the status of being one of the best strategy games, maybe it will reach it.

Best regards,
    Eppert
  67. Nov 17, 2013
    I'm done with this game. It's good at first but it is almost a copy and paste of the last game with a couple added features and a little better graphics. That's not my main issue though, the problem is the "random" negative events. The game constantly has one to take down my stability every time I get it up one. If I didn't re-load every time that happened, until I got an event thatI'm done with this game. It's good at first but it is almost a copy and paste of the last game with a couple added features and a little better graphics. That's not my main issue though, the problem is the "random" negative events. The game constantly has one to take down my stability every time I get it up one. If I didn't re-load every time that happened, until I got an event that didn't effect my stability, I would have quit much sooner. These events got more frequent the longer I play into the game to the point were the game is unplayable. This is either a bug or an idiotic development decisions, either way I've quit playing until this is fixed. Buy EU 3 instead or download it for free off pirate bay if you really want to try it out. Expand
  68. Nov 7, 2013
    The learning curve for this game is huge but the pay off when you understand the complexities will be in hundreds of hours of quality game play. While no game is perfect Europa Universalis IV (EU4) delivers on what it is selling and rewards those with the patience and desire to put their mark on an alternate telling of the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery. Be wary of the DLCs,The learning curve for this game is huge but the pay off when you understand the complexities will be in hundreds of hours of quality game play. While no game is perfect Europa Universalis IV (EU4) delivers on what it is selling and rewards those with the patience and desire to put their mark on an alternate telling of the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery. Be wary of the DLCs, though. Most do not impact game play and are a little steep ($5+) for what they deliver. Wait for a sale or a heartfelt decision on your part on if you require to see your little army man look different than every other persons army man on the chance you accidentally zoom in close enough to see them. Expand
  69. Nov 7, 2013
    Writing this review immediately after one for Rome 2 it is perfectly clear where the best team of strategy game designers can presently be found. It's HERE! The problems, or weaknesses in this game exist, of course. Few games are truly perfect. The font size is irritating. The concessions to simplicity can sometimes exceed the necessities of elegance and render gameplay somewhat anemic inWriting this review immediately after one for Rome 2 it is perfectly clear where the best team of strategy game designers can presently be found. It's HERE! The problems, or weaknesses in this game exist, of course. Few games are truly perfect. The font size is irritating. The concessions to simplicity can sometimes exceed the necessities of elegance and render gameplay somewhat anemic in comparison to previous iterations. Indeed. Indeed. Granted. Paradox can still do better. The point is that they are TRYING and improving steadily. Not only this game. All their titles. Thanks for a great game! Many of the issues players have will be solved when Paradox finally integrates a solid server based multiplayer experience, and allows a more comprehensive game-set-up interface where players can enable or disable individual 'advanced' features. Let the one game have the capacity to play well for both strategy novices and hard core players and you will achieve perfection. May it be SOON.

Orctowngrot.

Orctowngrot.
  70. Nov 6, 2013
    Too complex for my liking, even harder than CK2. But it still is a good game plus you can use your CK2 saves which is really fun imo. But I won't play this a lot because I'm not too fond of the setting and the complexity. Still a very good game and giving it a 7 out of respect for EU4 and because it is a good game that I just can't warm up to.
  71. Nov 5, 2013
    This is nothing for the mentally handicapped. A lot has improved since EU3, especially the multiplayer-features. My only critique here is that there is too much focus on rulers, it's pure luck due to this system how easy or hard your nation is going to be played and that's pretty frustrating, especially in multiplayer.
  72. Nov 2, 2013
    It's supposed to be a VIDEO game...don't show me maps...Don't tell me I am a good ruler...Show me...Everything I'm doing in a game ,I want it to be shown...Why should I make the effort to do something if I'm not shown anything?We are almost at 2014...There are amazing graphic cards...I paid hundred of dollars for a graphic card to see maps?What about voice acting?What about soundIt's supposed to be a VIDEO game...don't show me maps...Don't tell me I am a good ruler...Show me...Everything I'm doing in a game ,I want it to be shown...Why should I make the effort to do something if I'm not shown anything?We are almost at 2014...There are amazing graphic cards...I paid hundred of dollars for a graphic card to see maps?What about voice acting?What about sound effects?For crying out loud,don't bore me with statistics...I am willing to be the worst leader the world have ever seen... But show me how am I executed by a firing squad...Please,I beg you... show me something,anything...I fell asleep during the tutorial...The first game I have never managed to get beyond the tutorial... Expand
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    Paradox at its best. Civilization V is nothing in front of Europa Universalis IV.The deepest game I've ever played. Haven't checked the multiplayer yet...100 hours and I'm still hooked up.
  74. Oct 25, 2013
    Europa Univeralis IV is a masterpiece. This series has risen by leaps and bounds. I have always searched for a genuine historical strategy game. Europa Univeralis IV is that. You can play as one of hundreds of historical countries. While some systems could be more advanced (like the economics and demographics of provinces) the game accurately portrays the age of exploration, colonization,Europa Univeralis IV is a masterpiece. This series has risen by leaps and bounds. I have always searched for a genuine historical strategy game. Europa Univeralis IV is that. You can play as one of hundreds of historical countries. While some systems could be more advanced (like the economics and demographics of provinces) the game accurately portrays the age of exploration, colonization, and enlightenment. Expand
  75. Oct 25, 2013
    A strategy game that has quite deep strategy involved.

Bad things first : - Lack of tutorials. The hints are not helping at all. The gamers who got experience with previous Paradox's title will still feel at home, but newcomers will feel overwhelmed. - Diplomacy. AI has a weird sense when declaring war. Sometimes they declare war for 10-15 years only to fight for a single province. Or
    A strategy game that has quite deep strategy involved.

Bad things first :
    - Diplomacy. AI has a weird sense when declaring war. Sometimes they declare war for 10-15 years only to fight for a single province. Or they fight another power that have zillions of alliances. Or they drag you into a fight that they and you can't win.

Good things :
    - Deep strategy. Wars is just one way of exerting your influence. You can use diplomats to rise up rebels in your enemy countries, or you can send off colonist to faraway lands to increase your influence. and trade.
    - A lot of historical events, and how you can follow it or change it.
    - Each nation has its own flavor. For example, you could see Spain and Portugal, and followed later by England, send off their colonist. But you will never see non-colonizing countries such as France, Papal States, or Burgundy colonize the New World.
  76. Oct 23, 2013
    I think this is a niche game, and you must like this sort of complex games to actually enjoy it, but it is definitely The best game of its kind. The company’s attitude to its fans deserves its own praise.
  77. Oct 23, 2013
    Excellent continuation of Europa Universalis series. I started as my hime country, Bohemia, and the level of historical details authors introduced is really excellent.
    Oh and a small notion to all of those complaining about hard to get UI. Please, go back to you consoles or tablets and leave PC games to people with brains. Thank you.
  78. Oct 20, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 4 /5 (good strategy gameplay, frustrating randomness, a few design issues)
    Polish: 4 /5 (graphics are acceptable given the game's nature, some bugs are present) Value: 5 /5 (huge map with excellent replay potential and emergent storytelling aspect) ---Review--- While Europa Universalis may never be as flashy from a technical or "eye candy" perspective as some
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    While Europa Universalis may never be as flashy from a technical or "eye candy" perspective as some other historical strategy titles, its fourth installment provides significantly more depth and freedom than any of those competitors. This is simply a must-play for history buffs, but otherwise it's a very solid and functional (cough, TWR2) grand strategy game with an emphasis on expansion and trade. Although the interface and controls are much more accessible than in previous iterations, some of the mechanics remain quite clunky; trade is heavily abstracted and the combat system is relatively simplistic. There are even a couple instances of what might more-or-less objectively be labeled poor design decisions, including the occasional punishing random event over which the player has no control. The fact that the rest of the game is excellent unfortunately makes its few obvious flaws stand out even more, but that said if you can get past the randomness and arbitrary abstractions Europa Universalis- with all of its immense replay value- can be a very rewarding experience.
  79. Oct 20, 2013
    A very good game, there is simply no competition when it comes to this genre. Once you get past the (if a new player) somewhat overwhelming complexity, you'll be in for hours and hours of struggles, exploration, world domination, backstabbing allies or utter failure. And it will be even better once the first good mods start to come out, going to try MEIOU and taxes soon I think.
  80. Oct 17, 2013
    Of course I realize that strategy games aren't for everyone. And people can be overwhelmed extremely at first. But this game I can proudly say fixed about every problem in EU3. It also made the game harder. Which I am happy of. The main great thing about this game is that not only it can take you an entire day to finish the game, but also each time you play it it's different. And not likeOf course I realize that strategy games aren't for everyone. And people can be overwhelmed extremely at first. But this game I can proudly say fixed about every problem in EU3. It also made the game harder. Which I am happy of. The main great thing about this game is that not only it can take you an entire day to finish the game, but also each time you play it it's different. And not like minor changes. I mean major changes that can change the entire outcome of the game. One game france can be a major superpower. The next it's the weakest country in Europe. Its the randomness that I love the most about this game. And of course the minor changes of graphics. But I can proudly say this is the best game ever made paradox. Expand
  81. Oct 13, 2013
    I must admit I did not see myself spending so many hours playing this game... One of the best RTS games on the market right now... The world at your disposal with a large number of nations to choose from... from The Knights to the Incas this game does an amazing job giving you the oportunity to rule the world and leave your mark on history or dissapear under the pressure of huge empiresI must admit I did not see myself spending so many hours playing this game... One of the best RTS games on the market right now... The world at your disposal with a large number of nations to choose from... from The Knights to the Incas this game does an amazing job giving you the oportunity to rule the world and leave your mark on history or dissapear under the pressure of huge empires like the Ottomans or the British... Paradox is quickly becoming one of my favourite studios in the strategy market... Expand
  82. Oct 13, 2013
    After seeing this game several times on Steam and passing it I finally decided to give it a try thanks to user reviews here on Metacritic. And I was not prepared for what was coming.

This game is a pure blast! I've put 40 hours so far into the game only playing tutorials and my first playthrough as Ireland and what a ride it was. I am nowhere near the end, but I can say that this game is amazing! As a fan of grand strategy games who played them since the very first Civilization and through all Total War games I have to say that EU IV one is the best one so far. They just got it right. Diplomacy, research, warfare, trade, rebellions, religion, colonization it is all very well balanced mix that not fits together incredibly well from the gameplay point of view but also from the historical perspective. Even though the game is a sandbox it is so well balanced that you see many historical events occurring even if they are not really scripted like Rise & Fall mod for Civilization IV.

Additionally there are so many aspects of the game that I did not even approached in my first playthrough where I focused on exploring new world that promise a lot of replay value a thing very scarce these days. Do you wish to play as part of Holy Roman Empire and unite it under one umbrella to become a dominant power as Germany? Check. Or do you wish to be spearheading counter-reformation that is threatening the stability of Europe? Or do you want to play as one of the less advanced civilizations and wage a fight for your very existence? Check and check. There are endless opportunities and all of them real and well thought off.

On the top of all of it I did not encounter a single bug or any other issue. The gameplay is smooth and in spite of so many people criticizing the user interface I find it very useful the end game management of dozens of provinces which was always a chore to do with other games is breeze in this game. It lets the game keep holding you from the beginning to the end so that you do not want to go to sleep because you just want to win this battle or set up the trade in that node.

For me this is the game of the year and it is something that many people may have expected Rome Total War. That it was Paradox interactive, a company that I admire for other great titles such as Mount&Blade, who achieved this is surprising but also refreshing. That I support such a good gaming company by purchasing this superb game is just an icing on the already incredibly tasty cake.Do not wait and if you ever liked any of the grand strategy title go and buy EU IV. It is a must have for any even remote grand strategy fan because this is how such a game should look like.
  83. Oct 9, 2013
    EU4 is a hardcore strategy game. Immense, but also minimalistic. It has a high replayability, which is a guarantee to devour your free time.There are always new things to master, to explore and to do.
    Furthermore, the game is polished. Some bugs are there, but they are insignificant.
    However, the tiny fonts hurt my eyes. I hope they include a font size, which is scales to match screen size.
    Please fix this Paradox!
    EDIT: I have installed the font mod and gave it a 10. After all it deserves it!
  84. Oct 6, 2013
    Everything about this is an improvement over EU3, the mechanics the coalition system the ways the governance benefits change etc etc etc... if you love the franchise or are a new player then get this game at all costs it will provide hours of fun with the 2 main most unique playthroughs coming from a Central European country such as Austria or (my personal favorite) Bohemia, or as WesternEverything about this is an improvement over EU3, the mechanics the coalition system the ways the governance benefits change etc etc etc... if you love the franchise or are a new player then get this game at all costs it will provide hours of fun with the 2 main most unique playthroughs coming from a Central European country such as Austria or (my personal favorite) Bohemia, or as Western European colonizing country such as GB France Spain. The game is addictive the AI is relentless and in the end you feel like a true conqueror for your insane worldly exploits that somehow made you come out on top with absolutely no forgiveness from the AI and hours worth of hard fought planning and scheming your way to greatness. However I wrote this reason for one reason and one reason only, f*ck you France. F*ck you so god da*n f*cking much... ALL Y'ALL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Expand
  85. Oct 6, 2013
    After about 25 hours I decided I'd had enough. I entirely appreciate the hard work and research that went into this game, but when I play a game I'm looking for entertainment, not a history lesson. The game's UI is overly complicated, and difficult to navigate. The tutorials are short and vague and don't really explain how to play the game. The gameplay is stiff and feels linear. When IAfter about 25 hours I decided I'd had enough. I entirely appreciate the hard work and research that went into this game, but when I play a game I'm looking for entertainment, not a history lesson. The game's UI is overly complicated, and difficult to navigate. The tutorials are short and vague and don't really explain how to play the game. The gameplay is stiff and feels linear. When I play this game, it feels like I'm staring and watching the game play itself most of the time. One of the more exciting aspects of the game is clicking on a button to send a diplomat to another country, so you can watch a number climb on the diplomacy screen.. wtf? Feels more like a spreadsheet than a game. Expand
  86. Oct 3, 2013
    Fantastic game from a fantastic game developer. Paradox really hit the mark on their latest Europa Universalis IV. The improvement of trade systems made being a small state but a major economic power very possible. Weather system through the seasons made a balanced attack defense phase between armies and added another level of strategy.

I wish that they had added more user diversity on

I wish that they had added more user diversity on state creation and formation, but that is a completely other and massive change in the game. But still Super fun and one of the best games to get into grand strategy, from of course the masters of grand strategy!
  87. Oct 1, 2013
    Brilliant strategy game, best title from Paradox in years. It feels somewhat "easier" to get into then previous games, and it's addicting as hell. Lots of decisions (strategic and tactical) makes the game hard but very fun to play. My only complain is interface, on 1080 resoultion text is very small and font doesn't make it easier to read, BUT you have mods to fix this issue.

9/10 One

9/10 One of the best strategy titles on PC. Must play.
  88. Sep 28, 2013
    It's deffinitely the best strategy game of the year. It's big, it's smart, historical and epic. Paradox Interactive did a great job. I've been playing their games since EU2. And it's stlii great. Hold your course PI.
  89. Sep 27, 2013
    GOOD
    Epic Game
    Just Perfect Diplomacy Standards Technology bias is just perfect Requires brains and strategy when fighting against coalition of forces BAD Requires cheats to really win only the best can win without using cheats . A bit Long, sometimes i am sleeping just in front of my computer Bugs can ruin your life, if combing armies (you cannot combine more than 3 units at a
    GOOD
    Epic Game
    Just Perfect Diplomacy Standards
    Technology bias is just perfect
    Requires brains and strategy when fighting against coalition of forces

BAD
    Requires cheats to really win only the best can win without using cheats .
    A bit Long, sometimes i am sleeping just in front of my computer
    Bugs can ruin your life, if combing armies (you cannot combine more than 3 units at a time
    Every army requires general to win (without a general-ed army you are bound to loose, even with having a huge amassed army)
  90. Sep 26, 2013
    Another great game from Paradox. Im more of a Crusader Kings guy, but this game is still great. If you are into grand strategy make sure you pick this up.
  91. Sep 24, 2013
    This is a fantastic game and it corrects some of the problems with EUIII. Your nation is now more reliant on your monarch and while some find this frustrating, it definitely makes for a more interesting game. In EUIII, anyone could overcome a bad ruler with little effort. Really, anyone with a decent amount of experience could by mid-game dominate EUIII. EUIV corrects this problem byThis is a fantastic game and it corrects some of the problems with EUIII. Your nation is now more reliant on your monarch and while some find this frustrating, it definitely makes for a more interesting game. In EUIII, anyone could overcome a bad ruler with little effort. Really, anyone with a decent amount of experience could by mid-game dominate EUIII. EUIV corrects this problem by tying your ruler more closely with your nations fortunes. A bad ruler will make it hard for your country to advance, conduct war and keep stability. It is frustrating fantastic.

Overall I am very happy with it and it feels like a matured EUIII. For those that are new to the series, the learning curve is the fun part. Stick with it a few dozen hours and you will begin to understand the depth and mechanics.

I did give it a 9 because it is still needing some content additions which I'm sure will come in the form of free patches or paid DLC. Some of the countries have a generic feel. With a game this massive, I would think it to be impossible to make every country historically unique, but there is room to grow, hence the 9.

Last note, special thanks to Paradox for publishing this to Linux. As a Linux user for about a decade, Paradox games were the one wish I had for gaming. Their support is amazing and appreciated.
  92. Sep 23, 2013
    The best Paradox game so far, and I've played a bunch of them. Micromanaging is solved in an elegant way so you don't have to spend much time building new buildings (can do it from a fancy building map or directly from the ledger), you can convert provinces religion or make new cores directly from a list, and you don't have to micromanage the trade neither. To be successful on trade you'llThe best Paradox game so far, and I've played a bunch of them. Micromanaging is solved in an elegant way so you don't have to spend much time building new buildings (can do it from a fancy building map or directly from the ledger), you can convert provinces religion or make new cores directly from a list, and you don't have to micromanage the trade neither. To be successful on trade you'll have to plan your empire growth on the long term, and eventually build a big light ships fleet, also some national decisions help, but you will only need to give new orders to your traders once in decades.
    Armies can be set to auto defeat rebels, so when they appear anywhere in your country that army will seek and destroy them.
    The only thing you have to micromanage as much as before is your armies during a war.
    Diplomacy is amazing, now you can know exactly why the others empires likes you or why they don't, and act consequently.
    The game is so awesome I had to uninstall it as I was playing more than 12 hours a day for several days.
  93. Sep 23, 2013
    Grand strategy games tend to have a very niche audience, but Paradox has come a long way in making them more accessible without removing features or complexity. If you're new to these games don't worry. The EU tutorial is one of Paradox's best and will give you a good start, though there will be plenty you have to learn for yourself. The main draw of EU4 is that it's an open sandboxGrand strategy games tend to have a very niche audience, but Paradox has come a long way in making them more accessible without removing features or complexity. If you're new to these games don't worry. The EU tutorial is one of Paradox's best and will give you a good start, though there will be plenty you have to learn for yourself. The main draw of EU4 is that it's an open sandbox play as any of the major nations like England or France, or play as a small country in SE Asia or an American Indian tribe. There are no real win conditions, and you can play however you like. Some countries have historical events that happen to them, or events that only happen under certain conditions, so no two games are ever alike. The only issues I have are that combat is still very spreadsheet oriented (you have more you win, generally), and that colonization is blazingly fast for certain countries, which can easily lead to power imbalance. Still, EU4 is a great game in the genre and if you're looking to lose a hundred hours of your life colonizing, converting heresy and fighting wars, this is the game to do it. Expand
  94. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 made an account to review this game. 10/10 Expand
  95. Sep 19, 2013
    Incredible! Just impressed by the new EU IV! I had enjoyed the preceding title a lot, and this one just becomes better. They simplified aspects that needed simplification, and made some things and mechanics even more interesting like trade, the ideas and technology system etc. without making all that too over complicated, confusing or buggy.

This game is just perfect, it deserves a 10!
  96. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very detailed and enjoyable gameplay, fantastic in-game dynamics, and elegant graphics absolutely prove that this game completely deserves to be called grand strategy. Expand
  97. Sep 18, 2013
    2nd Review: Giving it a 10 (+1 over 1st score). The 1920x1200 resolution small text has been fixed now too.

After 226 hours played, still playing got most the Ironman achievements with England. It really needs 100 hours just to get the hang of it all. Game gets more and more amazing, the complexity the random factor means never will you have the same game twice (and I started

Game gets more and more amazing, the complexity the random factor means never will you have the same game twice (and I started Ironman about 20x until I got it just right).

Yes, one needs to speed time up when things are slow, but that's why there is a time shift. The complexity depends on starting nation. England has it easy on their little island, but try stopping Ottomans with Serbia for instance, or playing Native American tribes in Ironman.
  98. Sep 17, 2013
    What a fantastic game. It is utterly engrossing. If you are a fan of civil 4 then you will love this game. An addictive masterpiece. It looks good too. The biggest down side is that it is too hard to stop playing once you get into a game. I have never played an EU game before. It took me about about 5-7 hours to learn how to play. It was a worthy investment and one I don't think anyWhat a fantastic game. It is utterly engrossing. If you are a fan of civil 4 then you will love this game. An addictive masterpiece. It looks good too. The biggest down side is that it is too hard to stop playing once you get into a game. I have never played an EU game before. It took me about about 5-7 hours to learn how to play. It was a worthy investment and one I don't think any serious arm chair emperor would regret. Expand
  99. Sep 16, 2013
    Brilliant, just brilliant. I highly recommend you buy this game if you enjoy strategy games, because this is the grandest, most complete and comprehensive strategy game I have played so far. It's surprisingly simple to pick up and always entertaining with endless choices, a must have indeed.
  100. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a first edition of Europa Universalis which I have ever played. I must say that it was really hard for me to get started. I've spent few hours trying to understand the rules and interface of the game. I also watch few movies on youtube to see how others play and I realize that I am not alone. But after this time I started to really enjoy the game. It is not as complex as I thoughtThis is a first edition of Europa Universalis which I have ever played. I must say that it was really hard for me to get started. I've spent few hours trying to understand the rules and interface of the game. I also watch few movies on youtube to see how others play and I realize that I am not alone. But after this time I started to really enjoy the game. It is not as complex as I thought initially, but it is challenging especially on ironman mode. One thing that is missing for me is an autopause when something very important happen (such as alliance offer). I must keep my finger on top of space bar and hit it every time when I see a tiny image on top of the screen. To conclude it is a nice, challenging game for strategy game lovers. Expand
  101. Aug 13, 2013
    Best Paradox game to date. Multiplayer hotjoin added makes it the easiest grand strategy game to play with a friend.

Full of depth and history it will make CIV5 seem like child's play.
    With over 250 nations to play you will never be bored.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Once players overcome the initial learning curve, Europa Universalis IV will prove a memorable strategy experience that provides as much fun stories as it does sheer tactical complexity.
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    Somehow retains the series' trademark braininess and complexity while being clearer, simpler and far more fun. [Nov 2013, p.92]
    The ultimate strategic simulator of an early modern history state with wide options for both success and failure. Do you want to unite Britain under Scotland, thwart the Spanish Reconquista or maintain the Inca empire? Suit yourself. [Issue#234]