• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Mar 10, 2009
7.8

1. Dec 14, 2012
    This is the one game that has been able to keep my attention for years. The learning curve is high, and sometimes you can get infuriated, but it's all for the right reasons. There are only intelligent people who play this game because of this, and whenever you die from someone else's shots, you know they worked hard to do it. The devs release 2 FREE expansion packs every year, which always adds new content, and features to keep the game fresh no matter how much you play it, whether a couple minutes a day, or hours at a time. This is the best game in the world in my opinion. Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2010
    Eve Online offers the most depth, involvement and achievement of any MMO so far, but it does require dedication as the gameplay opportunities remain quite limited for at least the first few months. As a starting pilot, you will find the scope of the game daunting, but if you're up for a challenge and like the idea of a huge gameworld which will not cease to deliver entertainment and adversity even after years of playing, then the complete freedom and open-endedness of CCP's creation will capture like no other. Expand
  3. May 19, 2013
    If your a Hardcore MMO gamer than EVE Online is the experience your looking for. Its depth is about as large as the universe its self and has an extremely high learning curve. While this may be good for those that have already found this gem, it does make it hard for new blood to enter. Despite this new pilots appear every day. With integration of a PS Network FPS called Dust 514 it adds a unique game play element never before seen, where a PC player can unleash a fiery hell from the skies on a console fan boy. The entire economy is player driven, everything bought and sold is from the player base. Making for yet a another way to play eve, as a market SIM. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2011
    EvE Online: Why I keep coming back, and leaving

Every one loves a space opera, probably. I love space operas, definitely. Vast space, the feeling of being a tiny spec in an endlessly large ocean. Industriously burrowing away at an asteroid for hours at a time while I read a book. Stacking up credits. Improving my lot one ore bit at a time.

EvE online appeals to all these sentiments.
    Space is compounded by achingly beautiful visuals and the well measured soundtrack bouncing through the halls of my ship.

Against other mmorpg's EvE stands well apart. There's no levelling arms race at play to motivate you, no endless level grinding to ruin your nights. Your motivation is primarily in how much of the universe you want to turn over. It's all under your own volition away from any peer pressure.

But EvE suffers in some development choices. Once you have created your character and jumped into the game you land ass first in a space ship in the middle of who-knows-where. "What the hell is going on?" and "What am I doing here?" are the first couple of questions to go through your head. You just automatically happen to be in a space ship from the off. Yes, this is exactly what I'm playing this game for but there is no build up at all! It would have been simple to develop a story line over half an hour or so while the character finds his way to a ship and launches into space. All manner of back history could subtly and simply be woven into these first few minutes. Alas instead you are faced with a half hour tutorial that pretty much covers everything there is to do in the game, ever. I have thus far(this is my 5th odd return to the game) logged out twice during this particular stab at the tutorial and I'm pretty sure it's all down to not having any emotional investment in my character or ship.

This build up would of course need a third person walk around section. Something that EvE lacks. All that time you spent creating your character and choosing nice clothes boil down to the thumbnail image attached to your ship. To create a physical presence and platform for the characters is absolutely necessary but likely to be part of a long development process.

Aside from that, I want to be able to land on planets. These beautiful orbs just hang in space enticing you towards them but on approach they are to be found totally void of function. You can't land, mine or colonise. What use is a space opera without a home world to counterpoint off? Aside from that and back to my first few points, EvE Online has captured the space odyssey feeling perfectly. It just has a few teething problems it needs to get out of the way before it's absolutely immersive. Perhaps by the time I return for the 8th time it will have these all sorted out.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    I love the respons people give for not liking EvE. Most of them are the very reasons I DO like it. Theone thing I will say though is expect to put 6 months worth into this game before you start to get much back. Does that put you off? Then EvE probably isn't for you. You like shooty blasty kiddy games? EvE probably isn't for you either. WHich is great as it means adults with low attention spans and snotty kids with their l33t speak and trash talking are generally not present in the game. HOORAY FOR THAT. I have one character that has only left a spacestation once in the past 3 months, and she makes me about 150 million ISK a day..day trading. I have another account that is "all action" and a third that mines. Yup 45 euros a month, and for me - worth every single penny. Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2011
    This is without doubt the greatest and most innovative MMO every created. Nothing can compete in regards the depth and complexities of the game play and mechanics. PvP is incredible with literally billions of customisation variations for fitting your ships. The player driven economy and market place is the most in depth I have ever seen. The regional markets allow players to be genuinely entrepreneurial and you can really make big money through trading. The game is very well balanced and there are always strenghts and weakness that can allow you the victory in PvP. Some people may find it a bit of a grind at first as there is quite a steep learning curve but the player base are very helpful because working in groups is the key to success. Saying that it is still possible to have a great time and make lots of currency solo. As a new player however it is often best to meet some good folk and learn the ropes before you go off to build your empire. There is just to much to mention that is outstanding about EvE Online. You really have to experience it. The 14 day free trial is very generous and is ample time to get to grips with the basics of the game. The career tutorial missions also give a good taste of the career paths. You are not limited in any way as to which skills you hone or activities you undertake, if you want to specialise you can but are free to change your direction at any time and do what you like. One of the really cool things about EvE Online where you can test things out without worrying about losing assets in the game. Every item and ship costs 100 game currency and there are mass tests where you can mingle with CCP staff. They often give you access to advanced skills and ships during mass testing events and it is really good fun. CCP have done a fantastic job with EvE online and it is constantly getting better and better all the time. The graphics are stunning even on lower spec computers and this makes the game really accessible. You don't need a top spec gaming monster of a PC to enjoy and participate in EvE. The only word of warning is that once you start playing it will probably put you off any other MMO you are playing. This really is the best MMO out there and highly recommend it. There is nothing else quite like it. Expand
  7. Jun 21, 2011
    If you want intense action, an extensive open market to buy and sell, detailed political drama between player alliances and corporations, and the ability to do whatever the hell you want, then EVE Online is for you. Oh, and CCP develops free expansion packs.
  8. Oct 21, 2011
    If you can get over the learning curve and repetitiveness of EVE, it becomes one of the most unqiue games you can play. iamtypingthissothaticanpost
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    Eve Online is an amazing game, and fills the niche where every online space sim destines. The scale is absurdly awesome. Eve online is more of a strategy than a twitch-trigger space sim.
  10. Dec 31, 2011
    The most deep, complex. hardcore mmorpg ever created. CCp has an excellent support to his title with two expansions every year. A must play for all the hardcore mmorpg fans that need to play something different.
  11. Jun 23, 2012
    Fear - I believe it is the one thing missing in 99.9% of MMO's, and the best part of any decent MMO. If I'm not playing an MMO that has a 'significant loss' attached to dying I don't feel it - it's a rush. I've been playing MMO's consistently since 97 but only recently tried Eve. It definitely provides it, along with a million other things that make this game so great to play. If you know what I'm talking about (and are obviously interested in this type of game) - give it a go, the trial is free. Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    EVE Online hit its 10 year anniversary this year. It is one of only a few monthly sub MMO's left on the market. It has an ever expanding playerbase that now exceeds 500,000 players. It is unforgiving and brutal and has a massive learning curve. It has a UI that would make a genius cry.

There is no set way to play EVE. It rewards create thinking. It encourages ponzi schemes, AWOXing,
    market PvP, and scamming. The only time you are truly safe is when you are docked up in a station. Your spaceships are merely consumables. You will die and your spaceships will explode. Earn enough ingame money (ISK) and you can buy 30 day extensions to your account. Or join a player corporation, work your way up the ranks, and then steal all their money and ships.

EVE Online is not a kids game and you will find few 10 year old kids with enough patience to continue playing EVE. There is no "I win" button. Having the biggest spaceship does not make you more powerful. It will make you an easy target for smaller, far more agile ships.

There is no other MMO on the market like EVE. It stands alone as one of the deepest, most rewarding MMO's experiences released to date. Whole communities of EVE players generate daily content within and outside of the game. It is the ultimate sandbox.
  13. Oct 3, 2012
    Have to love EVE with a very big qualification: This game will NOT appeal to a majority of gamers. Most people should not even look at this game. This game is the rare thing: a game for adults. And for wierdos who want to be better than others and have a lot of patience interms of sitting over their keyboard squintinting at the tiny font, making 'real' political alliances in a make believe space fantasy world. EVE does a great job of discouraging beginners, and ends up having a truly dedicated, and interesting fan base and truly interesting political dimensions. If all of this sounds like your cup of tea, then boil up the kettle, and pour yourself a pot. Take it slow (it starts very slow). Be polite and all the best! Expand
  14. May 22, 2013
    EVE is a truly unique MMO experience. It's slower paced (most of the time, there are still ridiculous adrenaline rushes) than all of the other major MMOs out there, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, character skill training is a continuous process happening whether you're online or not, which takes out the repetitive grinding for XP (or similar) most of these games have.
    The game also has a steep learning curve, which while frustrating does weed out the 10 year old American kids with rich but ignorant parents. Once you've got over the initial hurdle, you get a chance at probably the largest, most in depth MMOs going, with a sandbox system that really does have almost unlimited potential. Want to spend your time mining? Feel free, and depending on where you go you're probably going to have to fight (realistically run away from) other players shooting you just for the hell of it. Piracy is potentially lucrative, ensnaring and ransoming other players. Or if you're more into the MetaGaming side of things get involved in the massive alliances and engage in somewhat questionable out of game activities.

Eve is an MMO for the thinkers, not for the point and shoot OMG EXPLOSIONS!!!!!11!eleven enthusiasts. Try it.
  15. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is not for kids or people with mental disorder you need some brains to play this game. The real fun begins when you join military alliance then all of its beauty reveals.Some people dont like it thats normal. EVE community is very nice because its 95% made of mature people no 12yo running arround
  16. Sep 1, 2013
    The greatest game I have ever played. More complex than any game I have ever played, but more immersive than any other. I have logged over 2000 hours so far into this game, and not an ounce of boredom. There are so many different things you can do. You can spend your time sitting in safe calm space manufacturing ships for combat pilots, or be on the front lines fighting over territory and power with your faction. The player corporations (guilds) can actually control territory. Massive wars take place. Battles of thousands of players all at the same place. You can choose to fight for good, or for power and wealth. Backstabbings and betreyals, loyalty to your corporation, becoming a better pilot. Eve is a neverending adventure with limitless entertainment and opportunity. Expand
  17. Oct 6, 2013
    Eve is not a spaceshooter game, it is about to command your ship like a STAR TREK way, lets put that way.

You need to worry about your actions instead of maneuvering the ship. It is all about the strategy and team work, when you face battle fleets fights.

The game is complex and can (and will) entertaining you for a long time. You have free will to decide your destiny. Want be a
    pirate and scam people, or leave inside a wormhole hunting invaders, it is up to you. You have some many place to explore as the EVE galaxy is HUGE, and so many ships to fly which different roles and ways of pilot" that you will like it a lot.

Other good aspect of the game is the relationship between developers and the community, that are composed of mature people. They always in touch and developers hear and produces what the communities ask in their bi-annual expansion. So you will play a game made by the feedback of other players that always looks for a way to improve the experience.

Give it a try and see if it suitable for you. Of course it is not for everyone.
  18. Jul 11, 2014
    The one and only MMORPG game what i can play more than 1 hour.
    I played much MMORPG's, from World of warcraft to blade and soul, everything is peace of **** without soul, i can't play the game with PRESS YOUR SKILL ROTATIONS instead of gameplay.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    Eve is beautiful, extravagant and challenging. It has a unique ability to filter out 12 year old trolls with its difficult learning curve. For a older gamer like myself this provides a deeper sense of exploration because you never quite know what you will find or figure out next. The diverse group of gamers that play EVE provide a very realistic world in which there are genuinely helpful, interesting people that you may meet along the way but there are also pirates that will plunder you for all you've got. All this adds to the intense and relentless environment that you frequently visit on your travels. In the gigantic Galaxy of EVE there are thousands of planets all with different security ratings to provide you with knowledge of where you are visiting and where you shouldn't pass through; however tempting it is. EVE is like no other MMO and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging game to sink there teeth into. Its truly one of the best. Expand
  20. May 24, 2014
    Hard to learn-easy to master

Like I said. The first few hours of this game where a living hell. Tutorials didn't help. Controls made no sense. A dick community didn't help, either. But then I got used to it. I found a few people that helped me through the starting hours. I adjusted myself to the controls. Then it was great. Granted, this isn't much more than a standard MMO, but this
    time, it has space-ships. The game takes place entirely in the cockpit of a ship. You grind to get better parts, and a better ship. Simple as that. Granted, this is a very specific MMO, aimed at a specific audience. Its for people that will spent hours on end figuring it out. Once you get it, its fun. Your ship becomes a god, your raking in money, and who knows, you can even do some of that corporate sabotage. Expand
  21. May 12, 2014
    This game has had me hooked for a year so far. There is so much to do. The player to player interaction keeps you on your toes constantly even in the safest parts of the game. I'm absolubtly hooked to this game.

1. EVE Online retains its old shortcomings (Not being able to leave your ship ord control it directly.), but certainly offers a lot of content for a small amount of your money.
  2. Despite some partially unfinished features and a few annoying balance issues, EVE Online is greater than the sum of its parts and the best "sandbox" MMO in a market cluttered by canned content. Still a bit harsh to newbies, but with the release of Apocrypha more accessible than ever before. If you can get over the initial hurdles, potentially more addictive than World of Warcraft - you have been warned.
  3. EVE Online: Apocrypha brings more territory to discover and explore and a softer learning curve.