EVE Online: Special Edition PC

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Mar 10, 2009
7.8

1. Jun 30, 2015
    The so-called defaults of this game are it's best features and game concepts. It's hard to learn in Eve? Because there is so much to learn. You can't learn everything on your own? Because you're not supposed to: it's a social game, you can't learn everything there is to know by yourself, contact people, speak to them, learn from them, analyse the spaceship that killed you in the killThe so-called defaults of this game are it's best features and game concepts. It's hard to learn in Eve? Because there is so much to learn. You can't learn everything on your own? Because you're not supposed to: it's a social game, you can't learn everything there is to know by yourself, contact people, speak to them, learn from them, analyse the spaceship that killed you in the kill report to improve your own ship, find a mentor... If you have difficulties to do so, Eve is the oldest MMO online, so there really is a lot of content outside, to help players, dozens of very good websites to provide you information.

It takes few weeks to find your own path in Eve, to choose a career. This will be your newbie time. But don't trust the people explaining you need month to be efficient. You want to be a pirate? There is PvP corporations recruiting whoever can fit a warp disruptor on their ship: they will train you even if you are a two-days newbie struggling with the tutorials. They know new pilots are a ressource, and they better have to treat you well and to train you properly if they want you to fight with them.

Eve is hard, Eve seems unfriendly for the people who want everything immediatly. But Eve has the best community you could find: players ready to help the new ones, school-corporations, hundreds of new-pilots friendly corps. It worth a try.
  2. May 11, 2015
    First off, allow me to introduce myself, i'm Andr. I've played eve online since 2007. I've done every possible thing there is to do inside of eve aside from supers. I started with just andr, but eventually my account numbers kinda grew as i explored more of eve. Anyways, eve WAS a really great game, but ever since they lost their economist [iirc he left for a better job] the game went downFirst off, allow me to introduce myself, i'm Andr. I've played eve online since 2007. I've done every possible thing there is to do inside of eve aside from supers. I started with just andr, but eventually my account numbers kinda grew as i explored more of eve. Anyways, eve WAS a really great game, but ever since they lost their economist [iirc he left for a better job] the game went down hill, but only because of their current leadership. Allow me to also say that some of their rulings involving multiboxing [multiple accounts] have gotten actual hand-eye-users banned. And now you see from my perspective of why I want my mains persona [older than my eve toon, i've had it for 10+yr] removed from their "monument" Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2015
    unless your an otaku with 20 hrs per day on your hands, you prob wont enjoy this game too much. high sec only serves as introduction area. playing vs npc is fun for a short amount of time but it doesnt cover "leveling up" 50 mio xp. low sec is you vs 50 noobs destroying you no problem. 0 sec is where the real action is. unfortunately whatever ur doing, lots of waiting is a big part of it.unless your an otaku with 20 hrs per day on your hands, you prob wont enjoy this game too much. high sec only serves as introduction area. playing vs npc is fun for a short amount of time but it doesnt cover "leveling up" 50 mio xp. low sec is you vs 50 noobs destroying you no problem. 0 sec is where the real action is. unfortunately whatever ur doing, lots of waiting is a big part of it. iam sorry guys, but waiting 80% of my gametime is not how i want my games. are you a spy ? omg, really it is just a game. Expand
  4. Dec 10, 2014
    Well, Eve online is very complex. And have many interesting features. But the feeling I have in the end is that the game is Pay-to-Wait... Not Pay-to-Play.
    This happens because every single skill in the game is limited by real world time spent in the skill... You can't simply hack more, or mine more , or spend a vacation doing stuff to increase statistics... If you want to fully experience all this game have to offer, you must pay and wait... for years, even, depending on what you are trying to achieve... This makes the game become old kind of quickly... And you feel kind of shut-off from many game features, for a long time (unless you resort to buying a character from other player)...
    This also means, that you don't have a rewarding experience exploring alternative character development... If you do a wrong decision, your character will be marked by that decision, and you will have to spend months trying to correct that... Or wait for another couple years to develop a better character... Another time, pay-to-wait.
    Yes, I agree, some people will find this a kind of a feature, and not an issue. That is why this game have good reviews as well... But I simply can't keep paying a game, and keep waiting, for years just to be able to experiment a game feature that was just there all the time...
  5. Aug 17, 2014
    A game that is neither won or lost. Only experienced. This game has a large learning curve if you want PVP ( player vs player) or not if you want to just blow up computer ships. Playing PVE ( you vs the computer) requires running missions. You can only run so many before you fall asleep in your chair! Learning to fly the ship takes time....real time. Learning to PVP take lots of money andA game that is neither won or lost. Only experienced. This game has a large learning curve if you want PVP ( player vs player) or not if you want to just blow up computer ships. Playing PVE ( you vs the computer) requires running missions. You can only run so many before you fall asleep in your chair! Learning to fly the ship takes time....real time. Learning to PVP take lots of money and some one to teach you or LOTS of patience and LOTS of time. Even with all that time and training for PVP getting "blob'd" will be the norm and all the training and biggest or fastest ship you will loose. I have been playing for 5 years and its a love hate relationship...I love to hate it! If you want to play for enjoyment....join a corp! This is not a game for the "Loan Ranger". Its 5 years of my life I will never get back. Expand
  6. Jul 25, 2014
    The main problem with this game is that you need multiple accounts or at least multiple characters on one account in order to play without ridiculous risk. Except it takes 6 months minimum for a character to fly the ships you need.

If you need a battleship and a covert ops frigate to run anomalies inside wormholes than you will have to wait a year. Otherwise you can sit in high security space and mine mindlessly.

Expect for your ship to be blown up by 10+ players sitting outside of the gates that you have to travel by. If you like to wait several years in order to sit outside an object with nine other people waiting for a ship to come through so you can blow it up then sign up now.

Eve encourages grieving with its mechanics and too many players have been playing for too long for anyone new to get a foothold.

If you are going to play don't fall for the discounts on multimonth subscriptions. i have over 150 days that I wont be bothering to log in for.
  7. Jul 11, 2014
    The one and only MMORPG game what i can play more than 1 hour.
    I played much MMORPG's, from World of warcraft to blade and soul, everything is peace of **** without soul, i can't play the game with PRESS YOUR SKILL ROTATIONS instead of gameplay.
  8. Jun 17, 2014
    First of all, If you like a game that is hard to learn, has a real time waiting period on learning skills, and having other player scam you, war declare you for no apparent reason or just destroy your character for their amusement, has not real in game support,a non existent call in support desk,strip you of in game monies and profit gain then this game is for you. With in its unreasonableFirst of all, If you like a game that is hard to learn, has a real time waiting period on learning skills, and having other player scam you, war declare you for no apparent reason or just destroy your character for their amusement, has not real in game support,a non existent call in support desk,strip you of in game monies and profit gain then this game is for you. With in its unreasonable space battles, no real control over your ship, and no way to counter measure real game pirates at early levels. EVE is for the unsophisticated PVP player or hacker that scams you for your in game money, allows you to be robbed by bogus contracts or for GM's to accuse players and strip them of there money. in addition allows real game pirates and war declarations to be held openly in neutral territories to prey on ships and warp out when there pathetic version of police arrive. Worst of all is the learning curve for this game. It takes about 6months to a year to actually learn this game and have enough skill to make this game enjoyable.
    Go ahead try the 14 day trial and see for your self, it will be 14day terribly spent.
  9. May 24, 2014
    Hard to learn-easy to master

Hard to learn-easy to master

Like I said. The first few hours of this game where a living hell. Tutorials didn't help. Controls made no sense. A dick community didn't help, either. But then I got used to it. I found a few people that helped me through the starting hours. I adjusted myself to the controls. Then it was great. Granted, this isn't much more than a standard MMO, but this time, it has space-ships. The game takes place entirely in the cockpit of a ship. You grind to get better parts, and a better ship. Simple as that. Granted, this is a very specific MMO, aimed at a specific audience. Its for people that will spent hours on end figuring it out. Once you get it, its fun. Your ship becomes a god, your raking in money, and who knows, you can even do some of that corporate sabotage.
  10. May 12, 2014
    This game has had me hooked for a year so far. There is so much to do. The player to player interaction keeps you on your toes constantly even in the safest parts of the game. I'm absolubtly hooked to this game.
  11. May 4, 2014
    Welcome to GriEVE Online. If you're a RL turd, this is the game for you. It's massively boring. CCP (the devs) are after your money, and to make ends meet, they'll encourage cheating / grieving. You can't trust anybody in this game. Have I mentioned how boring it is? It takes 2 years to be actually any good at flying ONE ship for PvP. Also, unless you multibox (which again is ENCOURAGED byWelcome to GriEVE Online. If you're a RL turd, this is the game for you. It's massively boring. CCP (the devs) are after your money, and to make ends meet, they'll encourage cheating / grieving. You can't trust anybody in this game. Have I mentioned how boring it is? It takes 2 years to be actually any good at flying ONE ship for PvP. Also, unless you multibox (which again is ENCOURAGED by CCP) you don't stand a chance in this game. Almost everybody is running at least 2 accounts.

This game is boring, the PvP sucks, and it takes forever to do anything. In other words, this game is not fun.

When you come home to play a game, do you want to have fun? Then EVE is not for you.
  12. Mar 30, 2014
    The game itself is fabulous and if it were a single player game, EVE would be the perfect space based empire type game ever! The graphics are superb, the feeling of the vastness of space is well captured, ships, combat, equipment and technology is realistic, and your character development is quite diverse and well done. It's the other players you are forced to deal with that utterly ruinThe game itself is fabulous and if it were a single player game, EVE would be the perfect space based empire type game ever! The graphics are superb, the feeling of the vastness of space is well captured, ships, combat, equipment and technology is realistic, and your character development is quite diverse and well done. It's the other players you are forced to deal with that utterly ruin this game and make it unplayable.That is of course, unless you're a sadistic psychopath that actually likes harming people, if that's the case, this is the game for you.

Take everything you know about ganking, griefing, trolling, scamming, sociopathy, fraud, and the darkness of the human heart and forget it, any time spent in EVE will teach you a horrific new level of sickness that you had never thought possible in your wildest nightmares. You WILL encounter class 1 **** EVERYWHERE in the game wether, they're cheating you out of your goods and money in the markets or waiting to shoot you in the back as your defenseless shuttle arrives at the next warp gate, be prepared to deal with people empowered by the anonymity of the internet and a company that actually encourages bad behavior in their players.

The real life equivalent of this game would be stuck in a rush hour traffic jam surrounded by teenagers, all driving ridiculously loud, tricked out rice burners and blasting God awful music at physically harmful volume levels. All. The. Time.

Again, a great game ruined by the human garbage that play it. And that's a shame.
  13. Feb 14, 2014
    "Players looking for repetitive gaming won't like EVE, whereas those with creative thinking will" says one of the trailers for EVE. "Oh God", thought I. "Finally something different. Totally disgusted with WoW kind of games". After a bit of youtube watching I decided to try out this beautiful looking, breathtaking and very brain-promising space simulation ready to buy subscription.
    ------
    After installation which also runs on MAC, I proceeded to character creation. "Very detailed, very easy to use" thought I with joy, taking care and time to perfection my in game myself. I can even get scarfs, even change lighting. What a beginning.
    ------
    I read with interest information about the in game factions and carefully chose my bloodline. Ready.
    ------
    "I wish you see this. I am in a vast, huge futuristic station. It's far bigger anything you've ever seen. Tutorial asks me to undock. Click. Now, I am actually flying in the space! I can zoom out and in totally, looking in every detail of my little ship. Or is it capsule? It's like an egg. Let me think why would it be shaped that way. Aerodynamics. Look at all these buttons around. I am sure all mean something and I am sure everything is there for a reason. Oh wait. I am flying.. ou, just straight towards a huge planet. It must be it's gravity pulling me down. Oh no, no.. how do I stop it? Oh... well.... I just flew trough planet."
    ------
    My simulation expecations were shattered. My hopes for learning about science were shattered. My illusions for exploring and knowing the Universe were shattered.
    ------
    Being let down, kept playing. My impression is going to improve. I learn a bits from tutorial. About ship equipment, wait, it reminds me a little bit of Wow gear or all other games, no, just coinsidance. About combat - you actually lock target and then press buttons and shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. No, only coinsidance this game is about much more than that. It's not like the others. This game is made out of real players. Not any Npcs. Does it say agent? What does it do when I accept this mission? Oh. I have to fly somewhere, kill something and bring something back. No.. it's... did I use word coinsidance?
    ------
    Ehm... I do like 25th tutorial missions. I kind of stopped reading it. Only clicking accept, then wrap to (it's flying around 5 light years in a second) then take or kill and then come back, then complete mission. No, surely NPC is not going to tell me how amazing I am whatsoever, or that I did something noone has done before.
    ------
    Well.. it's like my 30hour of gameplay maybe and I... I feel like quitting. Or should I play another 1000 hours (people in Eve spent even 10.000 hours of pure gameplay) just to earn trillion or gear up or kill another player? Oh right, the original system such as this has its cost. You know, let me evaluate. In there, you have gun level 1. When you want gun level 2, you need money. To earn money you besically need to study a book. Wide one. When you get your gun level 2, you can kill player with gun level 1. Target him and ratatatatatatata shoot shoot shoot. And he actually detonates. I am not kidding.
    ------
    Today, right decision was made. Low security part of the Universe, that was my brave destination. With warm and eager heart I set my autopilot and watched all these wallpapers on the screen that look like stars and planets. I might put one on my desktop. Finally arriving. Ratatatatatatatata bum. I am webbed I cannot escape. I scream out for my life for the pirates to let me be. They do not listen. They charge. After amazing and memorable 2seconds fight I explode. Still in my capsule. Bum bum bum, my capsule explodes and with last swearing I end up my final breath, my body falls upon indifferentness of the Universe. This is the end.
    ------
    All of a sudden, i wake up in new, identical body. With all money, maybe even all skills having all ships I had in the dock. End of my story. Epic story. I heard EVE are submitting user stories? Will you help me to send them this one?
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    Eve is beautiful, extravagant and challenging. It has a unique ability to filter out 12 year old trolls with its difficult learning curve. For a older gamer like myself this provides a deeper sense of exploration because you never quite know what you will find or figure out next. The diverse group of gamers that play EVE provide a very realistic world in which there are genuinely helpful,Eve is beautiful, extravagant and challenging. It has a unique ability to filter out 12 year old trolls with its difficult learning curve. For a older gamer like myself this provides a deeper sense of exploration because you never quite know what you will find or figure out next. The diverse group of gamers that play EVE provide a very realistic world in which there are genuinely helpful, interesting people that you may meet along the way but there are also pirates that will plunder you for all you've got. All this adds to the intense and relentless environment that you frequently visit on your travels. In the gigantic Galaxy of EVE there are thousands of planets all with different security ratings to provide you with knowledge of where you are visiting and where you shouldn't pass through; however tempting it is. EVE is like no other MMO and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging game to sink there teeth into. Its truly one of the best. Expand
  15. Dec 3, 2013
    7 years of this game and everything is still essentially the same. People will scam you or gank your ships just because they can. You will lose connection in a mission or pvp battle and come back with no ship. If you have no life or have too much money this is the game for you!
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    Being a EVE player since 2008 I did have some amazing times playing, 3 accounts 9 Chars.
    Then CCP decided to release 'Time Dilation', where a fight that would last 1 hour now last 10.
    Cause of the super slow mo where u can go have a shower make your dinner and maybe just maybe your guns have finished one cycle so u can fire a 2nd round. If you don't have a job and have plenty time on your hands as it slowly ticks by at 1 fps in the huge fleet fights this down turn this game is for you. Sadly life is far to hectic to be watching a screen that doesn't move half the time and I guarantee u will get bored with all the other feature mass fleet fights was where it was until that sad day....
  17. Nov 15, 2013
    Eve aspires to be something more than it is. Each expansion has not been fully completed and the game needs an overhaul. The game environment or galaxy is much to small to be considered a space simulation or a sandbox. By that I mean people are constantly everywhere and the limits are too overwhelming. Each zone has way too many people. Admittedly the game is mathematically huge, butEve aspires to be something more than it is. Each expansion has not been fully completed and the game needs an overhaul. The game environment or galaxy is much to small to be considered a space simulation or a sandbox. By that I mean people are constantly everywhere and the limits are too overwhelming. Each zone has way too many people. Admittedly the game is mathematically huge, but for PvP it is much too easy. PvP is so overwhelming in the game it should be renamed to Grieve or GriEVE online. The only thing you can expect to do in the personal goals department is build up your skills, which takes time, and there are smart ways to do it for good balance and have fun along the way unlike some of the misinformed negative reviews, and possibly your I.S.K. balance which newbs pronounce isk as if it is a word not an anagram for Inter-Stellar Kredits. Aside from that is is the experience of people interactions, which if you don't join as a huge guild like I did into the Goonswarm alliance, you are likely going to be backstabbed and not have much fun. In my opinion this game is much to oriented towards grieving players and it is supported too much. That is the community you are likely joining if you play. It is for some people and not for all. Good luck in your decision. I hope this helps. Expand
  18. Oct 24, 2013
    I played the demo for a week and got tired, because it is so hard to learn i had to ask People in the game to understand and i had watch youtube videos too. They have a really bad tutorial. And it cost damn much Money like 15 euros a month. thats so stupid many games even cost that price.
    It cost 180 euros a year. that's quite expensive..
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    Eve is not a spaceshooter game, it is about to command your ship like a STAR TREK way, lets put that way.

You need to worry about your actions instead of maneuvering the ship. It is all about the strategy and team work, when you face battle fleets fights. The game is complex and can (and will) entertaining you for a long time. You have free will to decide your destiny. Want be a

The game is complex and can (and will) entertaining you for a long time. You have free will to decide your destiny. Want be a pirate and scam people, or leave inside a wormhole hunting invaders, it is up to you. You have some many place to explore as the EVE galaxy is HUGE, and so many ships to fly which different roles and ways of pilot" that you will like it a lot.

Other good aspect of the game is the relationship between developers and the community, that are composed of mature people. They always in touch and developers hear and produces what the communities ask in their bi-annual expansion. So you will play a game made by the feedback of other players that always looks for a way to improve the experience.

Give it a try and see if it suitable for you. Of course it is not for everyone.
  20. Oct 2, 2013
    Nearly unlimited amount of spaceship-themed mini- and meta-games combined with nice graphic engine and healthy economy slightly spoiled by extremely slow character progression and lack of territorial expansions turning players into so-called "bittervets" over time. Yet until that "bittervet"-ness moment you'll have a lot of positive (and a bit of negative) emotions.

Highly recommended

Highly recommended while there isn't any meaningful MMO spaceship sandbox game alternative.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    Basiclie a very very good game grafics frkn awesome community very friendly helpfull etc.. but 3 points less because u need just i would say 3 months for only skilling to have fun on this game thats a bit annojing
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    The greatest game I have ever played. More complex than any game I have ever played, but more immersive than any other. I have logged over 2000 hours so far into this game, and not an ounce of boredom. There are so many different things you can do. You can spend your time sitting in safe calm space manufacturing ships for combat pilots, or be on the front lines fighting over territory andThe greatest game I have ever played. More complex than any game I have ever played, but more immersive than any other. I have logged over 2000 hours so far into this game, and not an ounce of boredom. There are so many different things you can do. You can spend your time sitting in safe calm space manufacturing ships for combat pilots, or be on the front lines fighting over territory and power with your faction. The player corporations (guilds) can actually control territory. Massive wars take place. Battles of thousands of players all at the same place. You can choose to fight for good, or for power and wealth. Backstabbings and betreyals, loyalty to your corporation, becoming a better pilot. Eve is a neverending adventure with limitless entertainment and opportunity. Expand
  23. Aug 22, 2013
    Only if you all knew the problem in Eve online. I been playing this game for like 5 years on and off and it can get annoying.
    1: Trust no one. What is your friend today can be your enemy tomorrow.
    2: if you like to be surrounded by a holes feel free to join. 3: if your looking for all the good stuff, its always in low sec. Never high sec. 4: Expect to take up to a full 90 days to
    1: Trust no one. What is your friend today can be your enemy tomorrow.
    2: if you like to be surrounded by a holes feel free to join.
    4: Expect to take up to a full 90 days to train out one specific skill set. When you need at least 4 major skills.
    a) Mission running skills because you have to do mission to get money just to start. Join a corp, you get plenty of money if they give it to you but your skills are so low in the beginning, your just a flee to swat. Trust me, your rookie ship will not put dent into anybody playing less then a month.
    b) ship skills mainly battleships if you plan to makes money from mission running.
    c) industrial skills is a must when players are over charging for everything. 1 billion isk for 1 round of small ammo that is only worth 1.50 isk per round. Scam #1
    d) mining skills if you are tired of paying the outrageous prices on the market. Mine it and manufacture it. Problem, all the high sec roid belts are usually wiped clean before you even have a chance to login to go mining.
    5. Getting skills takes way too long. Some skills costing you upwards of 30 days for lvl 5, which is your entire one month subscription. Great skill but too long of a wait. Capital ships try 6 months. Do you really want to wait 6 freaking months just to jump into a capital ship. I don't.
    6. Older players like to hassle the newb and noobs all days just to mess your game up while learning. If the older player loses a ship and get there standing smack down, its no true lost to them. Frankly, I hope they keep it up so eve be put out of business one day. No new players no new subscriptions no new revenue out of business.
    7, The ships itself is nice but they are too specific. Transport ships, I want to drop 8 small guns with hvy armor tank and pvp mid slots. But nooo. Pirate players can't kill you. I believe in China's law, China does not tolerate Pirates in Chinese waters. BANG!!! (WITH A 50 CAL) good bye.
    8. I hope you like getting screwed in this game and I hope the pirate players get hacked and watch their real life money get wiped out and their entire account never existed. That would be great. See how funny it really is when pirates is on the receiving end of their BS.
  24. Jun 27, 2013
    EVE Online hit its 10 year anniversary this year. It is one of only a few monthly sub MMO's left on the market. It has an ever expanding playerbase that now exceeds 500,000 players. It is unforgiving and brutal and has a massive learning curve. It has a UI that would make a genius cry.

There is no set way to play EVE. It rewards create thinking. It encourages ponzi schemes, AWOXing, market PvP, and scamming. The only time you are truly safe is when you are docked up in a station. Your spaceships are merely consumables. You will die and your spaceships will explode. Earn enough ingame money (ISK) and you can buy 30 day extensions to your account. Or join a player corporation, work your way up the ranks, and then steal all their money and ships.

EVE Online is not a kids game and you will find few 10 year old kids with enough patience to continue playing EVE. There is no "I win" button. Having the biggest spaceship does not make you more powerful. It will make you an easy target for smaller, far more agile ships.

There is no other MMO on the market like EVE. It stands alone as one of the deepest, most rewarding MMO's experiences released to date. Whole communities of EVE players generate daily content within and outside of the game. It is the ultimate sandbox.
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    Eve online, a very nice game for "cheaters". An game where softwares that changes the game play functionality at the client is allowed. If you dont like to see your ship destroyed by players that are using third softwares to get advantage, this game is not for you. But if you are the type of player that likes to use cheat to make you invulnerable, you will enjoy.
    Dont beleave me Just
    Dont beleave me Just check the game forums, there is a plenty of discussion about it.
    The game is full of bugs, and to talk with the support, you need to open an "petition" and wait at least 15 days to get an generic awnser.
    You will need to install 50 Gb of game data and, every day install patchs of bug correction, patchs that will fix some bugs but will create new bugs.
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm all about big risk and reward in video games. I'm the guy who plays his ARPGs on the hardcore setting. I like winner-takes all competition. Back in the day I competed for the top ranking in the Warcraft PVP when it was so insane that you had to practically have no life to succeed. Therefore, I thought I'd be the perfect guy for the EVE Online Universe. I was wrong. I appreciate EVE'sI'm all about big risk and reward in video games. I'm the guy who plays his ARPGs on the hardcore setting. I like winner-takes all competition. Back in the day I competed for the top ranking in the Warcraft PVP when it was so insane that you had to practically have no life to succeed. Therefore, I thought I'd be the perfect guy for the EVE Online Universe. I was wrong. I appreciate EVE's freedom and brutal sandbox gameplay with a free market economy, but it's ruined by two things.

First, the gameplay itself is awful. Did you enjoy figuring out how to beat that well-designed impossibly hard boss in another MMO? No such thing in EVE. If you can't find another player or group of players to have an epic battle with, you're just floating around in dead space with nothing to do. There is never any guarantee that there will be some reasonable challenge in the EVE universe for you to jump into. Since the game is driven by players only, there will be many nights where you log in and there's absolutely nothing. Some people would put me down as an instant-gratification type for saying this. I always want there to be good challenging content in a game which was put there by the developer. I don't know why EVE can't have the best of both worlds.

The second issue is that the free market is sort of ruined by the fact that players can buy their way to the top with real world currency. This isn't necessarily a problem on its own, but when the game touts itself on its realistic economic principles, it sort of dampens the experience when an economic genius gets taken out by Captain Credit Card who never put any time or effort into earning his way.

At the end of the day, they can add as much of this sort of content as they want with these numerous expansions, but until they make the combat interesting and give players more to do than float around in the huge scary emptiness of space, it's never going to be a game I'll want to play again.
  27. May 22, 2013
    EVE is a truly unique MMO experience. It's slower paced (most of the time, there are still ridiculous adrenaline rushes) than all of the other major MMOs out there, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, character skill training is a continuous process happening whether you're online or not, which takes out the repetitive grinding for XP (or similar) most of these gamesEVE is a truly unique MMO experience. It's slower paced (most of the time, there are still ridiculous adrenaline rushes) than all of the other major MMOs out there, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, character skill training is a continuous process happening whether you're online or not, which takes out the repetitive grinding for XP (or similar) most of these games have.
    The game also has a steep learning curve, which while frustrating does weed out the 10 year old American kids with rich but ignorant parents. Once you've got over the initial hurdle, you get a chance at probably the largest, most in depth MMOs going, with a sandbox system that really does have almost unlimited potential. Want to spend your time mining? Feel free, and depending on where you go you're probably going to have to fight (realistically run away from) other players shooting you just for the hell of it. Piracy is potentially lucrative, ensnaring and ransoming other players. Or if you're more into the MetaGaming side of things get involved in the massive alliances and engage in somewhat questionable out of game activities.

Eve is an MMO for the thinkers, not for the point and shoot OMG EXPLOSIONS!!!!!11!eleven enthusiasts. Try it.
  28. May 19, 2013
    If your a Hardcore MMO gamer than EVE Online is the experience your looking for. Its depth is about as large as the universe its self and has an extremely high learning curve. While this may be good for those that have already found this gem, it does make it hard for new blood to enter. Despite this new pilots appear every day. With integration of a PS Network FPS called Dust 514 it adds aIf your a Hardcore MMO gamer than EVE Online is the experience your looking for. Its depth is about as large as the universe its self and has an extremely high learning curve. While this may be good for those that have already found this gem, it does make it hard for new blood to enter. Despite this new pilots appear every day. With integration of a PS Network FPS called Dust 514 it adds a unique game play element never before seen, where a PC player can unleash a fiery hell from the skies on a console fan boy. The entire economy is player driven, everything bought and sold is from the player base. Making for yet a another way to play eve, as a market SIM. Expand
  29. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is not for kids or people with mental disorder you need some brains to play this game. The real fun begins when you join military alliance then all of its beauty reveals.Some people dont like it thats normal. EVE community is very nice because its 95% made of mature people no 12yo running arround
  30. Dec 14, 2012
    This is the one game that has been able to keep my attention for years. The learning curve is high, and sometimes you can get infuriated, but it's all for the right reasons. There are only intelligent people who play this game because of this, and whenever you die from someone else's shots, you know they worked hard to do it. The devs release 2 FREE expansion packs every year, which alwaysThis is the one game that has been able to keep my attention for years. The learning curve is high, and sometimes you can get infuriated, but it's all for the right reasons. There are only intelligent people who play this game because of this, and whenever you die from someone else's shots, you know they worked hard to do it. The devs release 2 FREE expansion packs every year, which always adds new content, and features to keep the game fresh no matter how much you play it, whether a couple minutes a day, or hours at a time. This is the best game in the world in my opinion. Expand
  31. Oct 3, 2012
    Have to love EVE with a very big qualification: This game will NOT appeal to a majority of gamers. Most people should not even look at this game. This game is the rare thing: a game for adults. And for wierdos who want to be better than others and have a lot of patience interms of sitting over their keyboard squintinting at the tiny font, making 'real' political alliances in a make believeHave to love EVE with a very big qualification: This game will NOT appeal to a majority of gamers. Most people should not even look at this game. This game is the rare thing: a game for adults. And for wierdos who want to be better than others and have a lot of patience interms of sitting over their keyboard squintinting at the tiny font, making 'real' political alliances in a make believe space fantasy world. EVE does a great job of discouraging beginners, and ends up having a truly dedicated, and interesting fan base and truly interesting political dimensions. If all of this sounds like your cup of tea, then boil up the kettle, and pour yourself a pot. Take it slow (it starts very slow). Be polite and all the best! Expand
  32. Sep 28, 2012
    Bigger money whore than blizzard.And accounts cant be started in a logical way.Did i mention that these people are bigger money whores than blizzard??
  33. Aug 25, 2012
    To start I'm frankly not sure how this game is receiving a 8. There isn't really any input by the player when doing things in EVE. Majority of content is automated which creates a ton of bots in the game. PvP is pretty lack luster too. It's pretty much auto attack without much user input. Then there's the character progression ......again nothing involved other than adding it to yourTo start I'm frankly not sure how this game is receiving a 8. There isn't really any input by the player when doing things in EVE. Majority of content is automated which creates a ton of bots in the game. PvP is pretty lack luster too. It's pretty much auto attack without much user input. Then there's the character progression ......again nothing involved other than adding it to your "skill que." Basically nothing tangible in the game that makes a player be like ewww I want XYZ and this is how I'm going to obtain it. If you enjoy market type things (i.e. selling buying and making profits) this game might be for you...... The game is about as lack luster as the effort I put forth typing this in 4 minutes. Expand
  34. Jun 23, 2012
    Fear - I believe it is the one thing missing in 99.9% of MMO's, and the best part of any decent MMO. If I'm not playing an MMO that has a 'significant loss' attached to dying I don't feel it - it's a rush. I've been playing MMO's consistently since 97 but only recently tried Eve. It definitely provides it, along with a million other things that make this game so great to play. If you knowFear - I believe it is the one thing missing in 99.9% of MMO's, and the best part of any decent MMO. If I'm not playing an MMO that has a 'significant loss' attached to dying I don't feel it - it's a rush. I've been playing MMO's consistently since 97 but only recently tried Eve. It definitely provides it, along with a million other things that make this game so great to play. If you know what I'm talking about (and are obviously interested in this type of game) - give it a go, the trial is free. Expand
  35. BJH
    Mar 10, 2012
    This game was a fail. It is a pity, as I really like games like X. The first thing that happened with this game was it shut down my computer due to overheating the cpu (no other games do this and the housing/fans are not dirty). This was resolved by turning due the graphics settings-- which I don't mind, but no other game I've ever owned has to overheat the cpu to figure this out.This game was a fail. It is a pity, as I really like games like X. The first thing that happened with this game was it shut down my computer due to overheating the cpu (no other games do this and the housing/fans are not dirty). This was resolved by turning due the graphics settings-- which I don't mind, but no other game I've ever owned has to overheat the cpu to figure this out. WTF?!? Anyway, so then I get into the game. Most of the controls are okay, but the text is irritatingly small until the resolution is turned down. Trying to figure out where you are going in the tutorials is easy once you know what you are looking for, but the tutorials don't inform you of that kind of stuff. The game is not particularly complex in most respects, but has such awful navigation that what could be straight-forward becomes a pain in the @ss-- hence the steep learning curve. Steep learning curve is fine for the right reason, but this is the wrong reason. Example: I was unable to complete the mining tutorial. Something must have gone wrong, but how to resolve it is not clear. The agent continued to demand I complete the mission. I had the appropriate amount of material mined from the correct location, but it wouldn't let me complete the mission. I moved the materials around, and even got 3x the amount required so I could have some in my items and my cargo hold. Nothing worked. Finally I looked up the tutorial online-- and everything appeared exactly the same (correct amount in hold), and the game accepted that guy's mission completion. Again, wtf. The problem is, if this was a singular incident, it would be okay, but the other missions had analogously stupid impediments. Fail. Expand
  36. Dec 31, 2011
    The most deep, complex. hardcore mmorpg ever created. CCp has an excellent support to his title with two expansions every year. A must play for all the hardcore mmorpg fans that need to play something different.
  37. Dec 6, 2011
    I love the respons people give for not liking EvE. Most of them are the very reasons I DO like it. Theone thing I will say though is expect to put 6 months worth into this game before you start to get much back. Does that put you off? Then EvE probably isn't for you. You like shooty blasty kiddy games? EvE probably isn't for you either. WHich is great as it means adults with low attentionI love the respons people give for not liking EvE. Most of them are the very reasons I DO like it. Theone thing I will say though is expect to put 6 months worth into this game before you start to get much back. Does that put you off? Then EvE probably isn't for you. You like shooty blasty kiddy games? EvE probably isn't for you either. WHich is great as it means adults with low attention spans and snotty kids with their l33t speak and trash talking are generally not present in the game. HOORAY FOR THAT. I have one character that has only left a spacestation once in the past 3 months, and she makes me about 150 million ISK a day..day trading. I have another account that is "all action" and a third that mines. Yup 45 euros a month, and for me - worth every single penny. Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    Eve Online is an amazing game, and fills the niche where every online space sim destines. The scale is absurdly awesome. Eve online is more of a strategy than a twitch-trigger space sim.
  39. Oct 21, 2011
    If you can get over the learning curve and repetitiveness of EVE, it becomes one of the most unqiue games you can play. iamtypingthissothaticanpost
  40. Jun 21, 2011
    If you want intense action, an extensive open market to buy and sell, detailed political drama between player alliances and corporations, and the ability to do whatever the hell you want, then EVE Online is for you. Oh, and CCP develops free expansion packs.
  41. Jun 4, 2011
    EvE Online: Why I keep coming back, and leaving

Every one loves a space opera, probably. I love space operas, definitely. Vast space, the feeling of being a tiny spec in an endlessly large ocean. Industriously burrowing away at an asteroid for hours at a time while I read a book. Stacking up credits. Improving my lot one ore bit at a time. EvE online appeals to all these sentiments.
    EvE Online: Why I keep coming back, and leaving

EvE online appeals to all these sentiments. Space is compounded by achingly beautiful visuals and the well measured soundtrack bouncing through the halls of my ship.

Against other mmorpg's EvE stands well apart. There's no levelling arms race at play to motivate you, no endless level grinding to ruin your nights. Your motivation is primarily in how much of the universe you want to turn over. It's all under your own volition away from any peer pressure.

But EvE suffers in some development choices. Once you have created your character and jumped into the game you land ass first in a space ship in the middle of who-knows-where. "What the hell is going on?" and "What am I doing here?" are the first couple of questions to go through your head. You just automatically happen to be in a space ship from the off. Yes, this is exactly what I'm playing this game for but there is no build up at all! It would have been simple to develop a story line over half an hour or so while the character finds his way to a ship and launches into space. All manner of back history could subtly and simply be woven into these first few minutes. Alas instead you are faced with a half hour tutorial that pretty much covers everything there is to do in the game, ever. I have thus far(this is my 5th odd return to the game) logged out twice during this particular stab at the tutorial and I'm pretty sure it's all down to not having any emotional investment in my character or ship.

This build up would of course need a third person walk around section. Something that EvE lacks. All that time you spent creating your character and choosing nice clothes boil down to the thumbnail image attached to your ship. To create a physical presence and platform for the characters is absolutely necessary but likely to be part of a long development process.

Aside from that, I want to be able to land on planets. These beautiful orbs just hang in space enticing you towards them but on approach they are to be found totally void of function. You can't land, mine or colonise. What use is a space opera without a home world to counterpoint off? Aside from that and back to my first few points, EvE Online has captured the space odyssey feeling perfectly. It just has a few teething problems it needs to get out of the way before it's absolutely immersive. Perhaps by the time I return for the 8th time it will have these all sorted out.
  42. Jan 9, 2011
    This is without doubt the greatest and most innovative MMO every created. Nothing can compete in regards the depth and complexities of the game play and mechanics. PvP is incredible with literally billions of customisation variations for fitting your ships. The player driven economy and market place is the most in depth I have ever seen. The regional markets allow players to beThis is without doubt the greatest and most innovative MMO every created. Nothing can compete in regards the depth and complexities of the game play and mechanics. PvP is incredible with literally billions of customisation variations for fitting your ships. The player driven economy and market place is the most in depth I have ever seen. The regional markets allow players to be genuinely entrepreneurial and you can really make big money through trading. The game is very well balanced and there are always strenghts and weakness that can allow you the victory in PvP. Some people may find it a bit of a grind at first as there is quite a steep learning curve but the player base are very helpful because working in groups is the key to success. Saying that it is still possible to have a great time and make lots of currency solo. As a new player however it is often best to meet some good folk and learn the ropes before you go off to build your empire. There is just to much to mention that is outstanding about EvE Online. You really have to experience it. The 14 day free trial is very generous and is ample time to get to grips with the basics of the game. The career tutorial missions also give a good taste of the career paths. You are not limited in any way as to which skills you hone or activities you undertake, if you want to specialise you can but are free to change your direction at any time and do what you like. One of the really cool things about EvE Online where you can test things out without worrying about losing assets in the game. Every item and ship costs 100 game currency and there are mass tests where you can mingle with CCP staff. They often give you access to advanced skills and ships during mass testing events and it is really good fun. CCP have done a fantastic job with EvE online and it is constantly getting better and better all the time. The graphics are stunning even on lower spec computers and this makes the game really accessible. You don't need a top spec gaming monster of a PC to enjoy and participate in EvE. The only word of warning is that once you start playing it will probably put you off any other MMO you are playing. This really is the best MMO out there and highly recommend it. There is nothing else quite like it. Expand
  43. Dec 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. But it s really hard for news players. I regret no french language too. I think a lot of french people want start the experience but they can t. the game is really complex and give a lot of satisfaction. It s true you pilot with mouse and it s not the best for a star ship game but you need see around this. it s a rich spatial simulation game. Expand
  44. Nov 10, 2010
    I've been playing eve on and off for about 10 months and I've actually gotten good at it, been a member of a null security corporation, and been in a few space battles. This game is buggy, it's frequently boring, it's extremely frustrating, and punishes you if you like to take risks. Especially early on... In short it's kind of the anti-game... And yet, I play it.

Joining a

Joining a corporation early on and going to battleclinic and reading about how to build ships right is key, but those are not game mechanics, they're human mechanics that are outside the game. Ultimately, that is what eve is about, and because of that, the strategic elements are very much like real life. You want power in the game? Get in a corp and move up the ladder, its just like real life. You want money? Do the same. Thats the hardest aspect for new people to realize, you can't win eve on your own, its absolutely a group activity like going to work everyday.

Eve is also a hobby. People write software to interact with the EVE api, its a big part of eve in fact as some of these user created tools are absolutely key to success in the game... Sound weird? It is, and yet, it's better for it. It's the human element.

When you think about it, the universe is pretty boring and stupid, but, humans get together and shape it how we want it to be, thats what Eve is like, a boring place made better by the presence of humans.

Because it relies so much on humans, and the kinds of things lots of people try to avoid in playing games in the first place (like work), I think the game deserves to be knocked down a couple notches. But all in all it's an interesting world, and if you join the right corporation, and take the time to train your skills up right, it takes a LOT of time, you might find yourself having more fun more often with Eve than your other games.
  45. Sep 13, 2010
    If you enjoy scamming people, playing highly unrealistic space battles where you can't have any real degree of control over your ship navigation, and stuffing around with the 'Market' then give EVE a try. You'll likely be taken in for at least a year if you are anything like me. But underneath it all EVE is actually a pretty poor vehicle covered in shiny paint. What you most likely won'tIf you enjoy scamming people, playing highly unrealistic space battles where you can't have any real degree of control over your ship navigation, and stuffing around with the 'Market' then give EVE a try. You'll likely be taken in for at least a year if you are anything like me. But underneath it all EVE is actually a pretty poor vehicle covered in shiny paint. What you most likely won't realise for some time is the level of permanence individual events have. Make bad choices early on in your skill training and you'll be screwed for some time if not permanently. Want to pilot one of the best ships in the game? Setup your skill queue and you'll be up and running in about 365 days.... and a few thousand dollars of real money. Sure you can earn the money in game if you like. Hopefully you are also the sort of person that likes Farmville, or repetitive tasks like sorting 1000 kilograms of peanuts and into 5 different grades... if that sounds boring to you I encourage you to try EVE's ice mining and compare the difference. Everything EVE appears to be in the first six months gives way to what EVE actually is. Not a sandbox, not the messiah, and a fairly average space shooter, with some decent game economics. If you're the sort of person who might rupture a blood vessel should you lose a ship that took you about 90 days of game time to pay for in one 2 minute session where you lag out and DC, don't play this game. If you're the sort of person who thinks star wars x-wing/tie fighter when you think space combat do not play this game. If you're the sort of person who has any degree of trust in people you've never met, well play the game, but prepare to be ripped off and blasted into shrapnel with great frequency. It's EVE the sandbox! and just below the surface it's full of turds. Expand
  46. Sep 5, 2010
    Eve Online offers the most depth, involvement and achievement of any MMO so far, but it does require dedication as the gameplay opportunities remain quite limited for at least the first few months. As a starting pilot, you will find the scope of the game daunting, but if you're up for a challenge and like the idea of a huge gameworld which will not cease to deliver entertainment andEve Online offers the most depth, involvement and achievement of any MMO so far, but it does require dedication as the gameplay opportunities remain quite limited for at least the first few months. As a starting pilot, you will find the scope of the game daunting, but if you're up for a challenge and like the idea of a huge gameworld which will not cease to deliver entertainment and adversity even after years of playing, then the complete freedom and open-endedness of CCP's creation will capture like no other. Expand
  47. KyleA
    Apr 21, 2010
    This game is beastly. It provides everything I want in an MMO. 1.Hard learning curve, so that basically means the chances of meeting douche little ten year-olds is rare. 2.Instant gratification doesn't exist. no everyday noob can have a bad-ass capital ship ship given to them. type of ship reflects experience of the pilot well. 3.Loads of different career paths. You can be a This game is beastly. It provides everything I want in an MMO. 1.Hard learning curve, so that basically means the chances of meeting douche little ten year-olds is rare. 2.Instant gratification doesn't exist. no everyday noob can have a bad-ass capital ship ship given to them. type of ship reflects experience of the pilot well. 3.Loads of different career paths. You can be a multi-Millionaire industrialist, 0.0 sec pirate, Bounty hunter, miner, the list goes on. 4.Player driven economy. When i say player driven I aint kidding, NPCs don't take part of the trading system AT ALL. 5.PvP. If you like pvp this game is your holy grail. whether your a pirate or bounty hunter, theres no greater feeling than sitting in a low sec area waiting for an unlucky sucker to warp in and have their ass jammed and blown to kingdom-kom. 6. Lots of motivation. their are always bigger and better ships out there you're just dying to get. 7. Repetitiveness doesn't exist. Every enemy you face, whether it be player or NPC, will be outfitted differently to take you out. 8.Consequences. If your the kinda guy who wants to screw with people and keep killing them over and over expect them to get back at you in the future because they'll gather a fleet up, have an agent locate where you are, set an ambush for you, and kill your ass. It's that simple. Yes the game is not new user friendly, it takes a long time to get used to, and if you have the attention span of a gnat this is NOT the game for you. Once again don't expect instant gratification, it takes months to train in the stuff you want to do. Collapse
  48. BillK.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Eve online is a fantastic game, the thing I like most is the economy, so far no game has an entirely player based one however Perpetuum (A new MMO) may have it.
  49. TaylorA
    Apr 6, 2010
    Absolutely horrible. Never played a more boring game in my life. There are maybe 5-6 different mission types in the entire game, most of them being exactly the same. On top of that, it takes forever to get from one place to the next. There is very little to combat, literally lock on, orbit, and set your guns to auto-attack. Making ISK is a nightmare, either farm the horrible missions or Absolutely horrible. Never played a more boring game in my life. There are maybe 5-6 different mission types in the entire game, most of them being exactly the same. On top of that, it takes forever to get from one place to the next. There is very little to combat, literally lock on, orbit, and set your guns to auto-attack. Making ISK is a nightmare, either farm the horrible missions or worse do some mining. Mining is just like combat except the asteroids don't shoot back. The simplest and most efficient way to make ISK, and the way that most people I encountered in the game go about making it is to just buy it from the developer. Ya, that's right. So even if you spend months developing your skills, piling up ISK, and finally build a decent ship to PvP in, guess what? That guy that has been playing for years and buys ISK will swoop in and destroy MONTHS of your work in a few seconds. Sounds fun, right? Expand
  50. ArtemK.
    Apr 5, 2010
    Played the demo for some time. Well, comparing to other MMOs (RF Online, for example), this one is way too boring, too complex and too slow. Glad I haven't wasted my money on it.
  51. DavidM.
    Apr 2, 2010
    Fantastic game, beautiful atmospheric, sense of scale is awe inspiring.
  52. Jimm
    Mar 27, 2010
    Homeworld meets Tradewars. Need i say more? If they had a AA type of meeting for people being in love with this game, I would have to attend daily!
  53. MohdF.
    Mar 24, 2010
    This game is awesome!! the server is stable..the client is good.everything going so well in game.you choose your destiny.
  54. MartinK.
    Mar 18, 2010
    Really good and versatile game, you can practicly do what ever you want and in your own pace
  55. CalumG
    Mar 14, 2010
    LOL, all the people who gave it a 0 sound like whiney noobs. Just because it takes a while to learn doesn't mean that its bad. Also the guy who said "First week you'll have maybe 500k ISK (in-game currency), and in a couple of weeks you'll have probably about 10 million isk, then in a couple months, you'll have about 70 mil" is talking rubbish. By my first week i had LOL, all the people who gave it a 0 sound like whiney noobs. Just because it takes a while to learn doesn't mean that its bad. Also the guy who said "First week you'll have maybe 500k ISK (in-game currency), and in a couple of weeks you'll have probably about 10 million isk, then in a couple months, you'll have about 70 mil" is talking rubbish. By my first week i had >50 million, maybe you were just carebear mining, and even then you must have been mining veldspar or something XD. Expand
  56. RyanFortney
    Mar 12, 2010
    I just wanted to say that, anyone giving this game a 0, probably didn't have the attention span to get past the first sentence of the tutorial.
  57. S.A.W.
    Mar 11, 2010
    That's the best game I've ever played! The only thing you need is a nice corp which has the same goals like you :) see you in space. Fly save.
  58. EarlB
    Mar 9, 2010
    Good game, bad game mechanics - play for longer than 3 months it becomes a waste of time.
  59. BradA.
    Mar 4, 2010
    I've played quite a few other MMOs for various lengths of time, but EVE is the only one that keeps me coming back. Unlike World of Warcraft, whose end-game focuses on grinding for gear that will be obsolete in a few months, progress in EVE actually matters from one patch to the next. The tradeoff is a steep learning curve and slower progress, but in my opinion it's worth it. I've played quite a few other MMOs for various lengths of time, but EVE is the only one that keeps me coming back. Unlike World of Warcraft, whose end-game focuses on grinding for gear that will be obsolete in a few months, progress in EVE actually matters from one patch to the next. The tradeoff is a steep learning curve and slower progress, but in my opinion it's worth it. Unlike PVP in other MMOs, battles come down to more than who has the better gear, or bigger ship. Most of the ships in the game are viable in PVP, which is nice, since it lets you fly pretty much whatever you want. Another great aspect of the game is the sheer volume of options. You can be a miner, an industrialist, a business executive, an entrepreneur, a pirate, a mercenary, and you can switch between them more or less at will. I suppose the biggest drawback to the game is the pace. You can only learn skills, which affect how well you use equipment, etc., at a set rate, which continues even when logged out. However, I find this makes the pace of the game much more relaxed than in other "grind grind grind" MMOs. Oh, another great incentive for progressing in the game is that, when you start making enough in-game money you can buy game time with the in-game currency. Or, if you want to be able to make a big purchase right away, you can sell game-time for in-game money in the game itself, which means you don't have to deal with shady gold farmers. Overall, I'd say that EVE takes much more patience than other MMOs, and isn't for everyone, but is much more rewarding. Expand
  60. MoratG.
    Mar 4, 2010
    This game was designed by Darwin himself to weed out the weak. It is hard to learn, impossible to master and everything you do has consequences. Where is the reward without risk? Where is the fun without danger? To enjoy this game you have to be utterly ruthless, and you have to be prepared to work hard to find a niche in which you can prosper. For those that say "oh, it's too hard" This game was designed by Darwin himself to weed out the weak. It is hard to learn, impossible to master and everything you do has consequences. Where is the reward without risk? Where is the fun without danger? To enjoy this game you have to be utterly ruthless, and you have to be prepared to work hard to find a niche in which you can prosper. For those that say "oh, it's too hard" - you're just sore losers. Expand
  61. AaronH.
    Feb 26, 2010
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. this game is NOT perfect. it takes a lot of patience, and quite honestly obsessing over wanting a certain ship or something else ingame makes it into a chore rather than a game. if you are one who likes getting goals within days or months, then dont play. this game is very slow paced and tends to appeal to older people. to put it bluntly, dont I'm going to keep this short and sweet. this game is NOT perfect. it takes a lot of patience, and quite honestly obsessing over wanting a certain ship or something else ingame makes it into a chore rather than a game. if you are one who likes getting goals within days or months, then dont play. this game is very slow paced and tends to appeal to older people. to put it bluntly, dont expect to get yourself in pvp until around a year or so of playing. however, if you are like me and like getting on for fun, rather than trying to achieve a goal, this is a wonderful game. i give it a 9 because while i do like the game, and play it a lot, it does not appeal to a broad audience. also just to be clear, most people saying there is no player to player interaction, this mostly happens when in small clans, who usually end up negotiating and working with others. as opposed to large clans who usually are too large to effectively do so. if you play this game. do not set goals, just play to play. happy flights! Expand
  62. ChristopherE.
    Feb 23, 2010
    I am giving Eve Online a rating of 1, as a deserved rating of 0 would be petty, but a rating of 1 is right, for the following reason. Eve Online has spectacular looking graphics, with amazing looking planets, and metalic effects on the various spaceships and stations, but it is totally let down by the font size on the games User Interface when you play the game at high resolution on large I am giving Eve Online a rating of 1, as a deserved rating of 0 would be petty, but a rating of 1 is right, for the following reason. Eve Online has spectacular looking graphics, with amazing looking planets, and metalic effects on the various spaceships and stations, but it is totally let down by the font size on the games User Interface when you play the game at high resolution on large screen size monitors. Coupled with this is the total indifference of the CCP dev team to this issue despite numerous complaints in the Eve Online forum. You can only enlarge the UI font to 12 points, which makes the lower case letters at 1920 x 1200 2mm high, and no more. If you have a 17 inch monitor you'll be fine at its default resolution of 1024 x 768, as the lower case letters are 3mm high, and the icons on the left of the screen ar a comfortable 10mm high, but if you have a now standard 24 inch monitor or larger at its default resolution of 1920 x 1200 or higher then your eyes will not be happy as you squint and try to read the tiny text on the UI when you are sat at a comfortable distance from the screen. The same effect is if you play at HD resolution or 1920 x 1080. Note: On 30 inch monitors at their default resolution of 2560 x 1600 it gets worse, as the lower case letters are now just 1 millimeter high, and the icons on the left of the UI are now a mere 5 millimeters high. You can have a comfortable text size that can be read at 1024 x 768, or you can play the game with HD graphics, but you cannot do both at the same time...yet. Expand
  63. AshleyB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    10/10 this is a tough game to get started in, but that just weeds out the annoying kids who play just to irritate everyone. One you get your head down and really get into the game the universe is your oyster and anything is possible. One of my favourite things about EVE Online is the way a new player can still have a MASSIVE effect on a battle and no 2 ships you meet will be the same, 10/10 this is a tough game to get started in, but that just weeds out the annoying kids who play just to irritate everyone. One you get your head down and really get into the game the universe is your oyster and anything is possible. One of my favourite things about EVE Online is the way a new player can still have a MASSIVE effect on a battle and no 2 ships you meet will be the same, even if they look the same you can guarantee that one will have fitted out their ship one way, and the next another. So, unlike WoW and WAR you don't have the repetition of "Oh look it's another one of those, I know exactly what to do" be that run or fight. In EVE Online little ship piloted by a 3 day old player can still severly annoy and disrupt an enemy vessel, holding on to them while backup arrives. Sure mining and mission running are boring, but they are the premium way to make a good buck in EVE Online, if you decide to go for the more fun option of 'ratting' (basically npc farming) you could get an amazing drop that goes for 60million on the market, or something worthless, and it's hit and miss with PvP too, depending on how your opponents fit their ship, but the guarantee is you'll have fun doing it. Eve Online provides so many possibilities and so much character/ship customisation that you always have a chance in a battle and, with a lot of work you can make a lot of money. But be warned, nothing comes easy or without a price in EVE Online. Expand
  64. MaxwellE
    Jan 11, 2010
    This game is not for the faint of heart. The learning curve is steep, there is no true safety anywhere. When you undock, you risk losing whatever you're flying. Your character's reputation follows you throughout the game. The skill training mechanic renders "alts" untenable. What you do, you live with. If you rob someone, the word will spread. They will remember you. A year from This game is not for the faint of heart. The learning curve is steep, there is no true safety anywhere. When you undock, you risk losing whatever you're flying. Your character's reputation follows you throughout the game. The skill training mechanic renders "alts" untenable. What you do, you live with. If you rob someone, the word will spread. They will remember you. A year from now, they'll use a locator agent to find you, declare war on your corporation, and come visit your home system with a fleet. They'll scan you down in your rat plex and an interceptor will pin you to an asteroid while a sniper fleet riddles you with holes. And then they'll go home. This game is exactly as boring as the person who plays it. It will harden you up, and you will thank it for it later. I'd have given it a ten, but honestly that bit with Z axis being "up" and "down" really irritates me, and 9.5 wasn't an option. And yes. That's my only complaint. Expand
  65. Mattw
    Jan 10, 2010
    Really fun game, lots of really good people to help you get started. Worth the money if you play for the full 14-day trial and not just toss the game away because you didn't listen to the tutorial. PvP gets really hard after a while and you'd need to join a corp to even get in on the action. some bots but they arn't really a problem. PvE is fun, alot funner than PvP. Really fun game, lots of really good people to help you get started. Worth the money if you play for the full 14-day trial and not just toss the game away because you didn't listen to the tutorial. PvP gets really hard after a while and you'd need to join a corp to even get in on the action. some bots but they arn't really a problem. PvE is fun, alot funner than PvP. Missions and mining seem to be the only way to get money though. Other that fun game, and worth trying out!! Expand
  66. ChrisC
    Jan 7, 2010
    Great game, bit of a learning curve but it only takes a few days. It's super easy for a new player to get involved and be helpful even from day one! Love it. Also it doesn't take a lot of time to train since you train passively (ie you don't need to be logged in)
  67. WillM
    Jan 4, 2010
    This Game has everything. It is the most expansive and inclusive game I've ever played. There is something for everybody. (except low IQ people who likes fast twitch games which require no brain power, if you like games like that go play sports...we all know how much fun those are.) For everyone else with brain cells, the game has everything you could want. If you want to destroy, be This Game has everything. It is the most expansive and inclusive game I've ever played. There is something for everybody. (except low IQ people who likes fast twitch games which require no brain power, if you like games like that go play sports...we all know how much fun those are.) For everyone else with brain cells, the game has everything you could want. If you want to destroy, be a pirate. IF yuo want create, be a industrialist. If you want to make money on what others have created, be a trader. The game truly is player controlled and the players honestly have a decent say on what comes in the next expansion. (which by the way are all free. unlike WoW...) While it is true the game takes a while to let you have the freedom to do all the things I've mentioned, I believe learning the things it takes to do those things succesfully in the game is the most fun I've ever had in a game. I wish I could go back to day one in the game in 2003 asking questions like 'can i ever fly a different ship'. Learning the game is a good fun. But alas I can not give it a 10, because a steep learning curve is a drawback and it does take a while to get from one place to another. But after 6 years of playing I can say this is the greatest game I've ever played. And I will play it till i die, or they say I can play it no more. Expand
  68. SaschaS
    Jan 2, 2010
    i play eve onlineame for around 1,5 years and its the best game i ever played. balanced! fair! dont consume alot of time! no lvling like wow!
  69. danielb
    Jan 1, 2010
    i have only been playing EVE for 3 months but can already notice that is is an amazing game. HIE H is wrong in all that he/she claims. this game is pretty much built upon player interaction to make it enjoyable. the fact that your character can progress even while you are not playing is actually a huge help because it means that you do not have to endlessly grind low level areas to level i have only been playing EVE for 3 months but can already notice that is is an amazing game. HIE H is wrong in all that he/she claims. this game is pretty much built upon player interaction to make it enjoyable. the fact that your character can progress even while you are not playing is actually a huge help because it means that you do not have to endlessly grind low level areas to level up. as for the game costing alot of money. it doesnt if you have played EVE you would know that there is a way that players can buy time in game with money they make ingame. i payed for this month with osk i produced myself. overall hie h is misleading and this game is definately worth it. Expand
  70. CharlesW
    Dec 31, 2009
    EVE Online is simply the BEST online game ever!
  71. RaistcaK
    Dec 28, 2009
    As far as space mmos go, this is the only true game out there. It is vast and interesting, with lots of different ways to succeed. If you need your hand held, though, go play WoW, because there is a large learning curve to this game. Recent beginner tutorials have eased that curve slightly, but it's still there, and one of the main things that makes this game such a joy. Who wants to As far as space mmos go, this is the only true game out there. It is vast and interesting, with lots of different ways to succeed. If you need your hand held, though, go play WoW, because there is a large learning curve to this game. Recent beginner tutorials have eased that curve slightly, but it's still there, and one of the main things that makes this game such a joy. Who wants to learn everything there is to know about an mmo in the first 20 minutes? That's boring. Expand
  72. G
    Dec 21, 2009
    Ok Graphics - Great potential for pvp - Poor Pve - Great economy - Moderate Learning curve - Poor Customer Service
  73. HiroakiM
    Dec 19, 2009
    Best MMORPG Ive ever seen till now, and with the 3D avatar thing and more coming, this will be the best and the only MMORPG alive 10 years later!
  74. ShannonS
    Dec 15, 2009
    I would like to start by saying that Eve Online is the first MMORPG that I ever played, and the first game I have ever subscribed to. I love the game's dynamics and completely emergent experience. The quality you will get out of this game is what you put into it. The first thing you should do is join a player corporation and find some people to play with. You need a headset/mic for I would like to start by saying that Eve Online is the first MMORPG that I ever played, and the first game I have ever subscribed to. I love the game's dynamics and completely emergent experience. The quality you will get out of this game is what you put into it. The first thing you should do is join a player corporation and find some people to play with. You need a headset/mic for this game because it is essential to communicate with your fellow players whether in the corp you are in or a fleet out flying around. I cannot believe the comment below from Hie H: "There is almost no player to player interaction, and even then its for higher powered people." That is 100% on you, buddy. I have never interacted more with people online, or in any game really, as much as I do in Eve. Heck, even playing XBox Live I don't interact personally as much! The game is HARD. No doubt about that. But if you want a game that you should actually be proud to be good at, this is one of them. Expand
  75. JonahD
    Dec 14, 2009
    Excellent game especially if you have friends to join you. the only downside is it can become repetitive when mining for money but that is the same with all MMO's in my opinion
  76. SteveH
    Dec 11, 2009
    Ok I see alot of negative responces which I dont understand why. Eve Online Is a SANDBOX MMO which means you can Virtually do ANYTHING you want. What to be an Industrialist? Go for it!, Pirating is your thing Go ti "lowsec" and raid a belt or 2 and see who you can kill. Want to be a part of a large "nullsec" alliance? By all means. Just be warned Like RL if you get your stuff blown up You Ok I see alot of negative responces which I dont understand why. Eve Online Is a SANDBOX MMO which means you can Virtually do ANYTHING you want. What to be an Industrialist? Go for it!, Pirating is your thing Go ti "lowsec" and raid a belt or 2 and see who you can kill. Want to be a part of a large "nullsec" alliance? By all means. Just be warned Like RL if you get your stuff blown up You better have insured it. Granted that this game does have a steep learning curve and may be a little slow starting for some players, but if you stick with it and build a friend base your actions can effect the game community more then you think. I have been playing this game for 5 years and Im still learning new skills, Their is no "lvl Cap" like other MMO games. CCP tries to keep the farmers at bay and recently purged alot of Farming accounts to better the player experience. By best suggestion is if you are not a patient person not bother. Expand
  77. HieH
    Dec 7, 2009
    Invader Tak is correct, and let me restate some negatives Being a TWO YEAR eve player I can say that: This game costs A LOT of money, and is definitely not worth it. It takes forever to get to the "good stuff" I haven't even been able to get to most of is yet, I'm still hording ISK, and its been two years. There is almost no player to player interaction, and even then its for Invader Tak is correct, and let me restate some negatives Being a TWO YEAR eve player I can say that: This game costs A LOT of money, and is definitely not worth it. It takes forever to get to the "good stuff" I haven't even been able to get to most of is yet, I'm still hording ISK, and its been two years. There is almost no player to player interaction, and even then its for higher powered people. The trailer for the supposed "Butterfly effect" is non existent in reality, you barely interact with online players, unless you're talking about npcs of course, then thats a slightly different story. Also this game is one of the only games that actually rewards you for not playing, and you know why? ITS SO YOU DON'T TAKE UP THEIR SERVER SPACE, your wasting you're money if you don't play the game and you bought it, and your wasting your time if you do play the game and you bought it. Expand
  78. XextreemX
    Dec 7, 2009
    I have played this game over 1year. And its hard to play. The people below me with 5 rate have no idea what the are talking about. Just relax and join in. the game is best if you hit the 30mil skill points. Enjoy your stay.
  79. JamesM.
    Dec 6, 2009
    I played EVE Online for around a year or two before deciding to quit a while back, and recently tried to get back in after playing WoW. I remember my time spent in EVE fondly, but starting a new character proved too unrewarding. While the game was a lot of fun being in 0.0 security space and not worrying about the in-game police, I realized that on this new character, I would have to wait I played EVE Online for around a year or two before deciding to quit a while back, and recently tried to get back in after playing WoW. I remember my time spent in EVE fondly, but starting a new character proved too unrewarding. While the game was a lot of fun being in 0.0 security space and not worrying about the in-game police, I realized that on this new character, I would have to wait several months to be able to reach the level I had previously attained. Even if I had billions of ISK to spend, I literally had to wait months while my character sat still in a space station, and the skillpoints clicked away while I was logged out, so that I could fly the ships that would actually do anything in 0.0 space. The game can be fun, but the skill system kills it for me now by serving as an insurmountable barrier to keep characters from having access to certain game mechanics. It would be different if I could actively do something to make the wait shorter, like levelling through combat or what have you, but skill training is the only way. It works out that through your early subscription months, you are paying a set fee to unlock skills very slowly, no matter how good you are, no matter how much money you have. The game is very fun once you truly have the freedom to do what you want, but getting there takes months of shelling out money for the subscription and waiting while a timer tells you when those skills are ready. Expand
  80. EbenduP
    Dec 6, 2009
    Played Evo-online for 6 months.I got to a point where I could not stop playing .My eating habbits changed.Social life got bad to worse.I hated my self for that.Unfortunatly i'm going to give it a 6 out of 10 not because it's a bad game but because you will end up playing eve online till you die If the game gets you.
  81. Addisonw
    Dec 6, 2009
    EvE is an amazing game, but I will say that it requires a above average amount of intelligence to play, Yes it is insanely complex and requires lots of patience, I've been playing for a year and I still can not fly capital ships on average it takes about 2+ years of playing to fly capital ships correctly. But I have yet to run into the average annoying WoW esk player when playing eve.
  82. NateS
    Dec 5, 2009
    I've been playing the game for just a few days now and I have to say that it's pretty awsome. Money is simple to get, skills keep going whether your online or not and when you accomplish goals in the game you really had to work for it to achieve it. As you spend more time in the game and begin to become more skilled it starts to take quite a while to complete skills and I've been playing the game for just a few days now and I have to say that it's pretty awsome. Money is simple to get, skills keep going whether your online or not and when you accomplish goals in the game you really had to work for it to achieve it. As you spend more time in the game and begin to become more skilled it starts to take quite a while to complete skills and therefore becomes even more rewarding. The "learning curve" people constantly whine about isn't hard at all the turorials are more than enough to get you started if people actually took the time to read them. Plus there are plenty of sites out there that are dedicated to Eve that are actually very helpful if your not quite sure where to begin with skills. Even though patience is key for many parts of the game theres never a moment where your just sitting there staring at your skills waiting for them to upgrade, your always doing something to keep you busy. Also all the exspansions are free and theres a system in the game that can potentially allow you to play for free if you make enough extra in game cash to purchase the time, honestly theres to many good things that out weigh anything you may not care for in the game. Input provided by Stew at - http://gaming-pc-manic.blogspot.com/ Expand
  83. AlexD
    Dec 2, 2009
    Pretty amazing game but not for kids or those with no patience, every poor review i have read here is from a noob who simply didn't know what to do....have patience and after about a week of playing it all begins to make sense, the user interface becomes intuitive and you become more immersed in the complexity of the game rather than the mechanics. One of the things that makes it so Pretty amazing game but not for kids or those with no patience, every poor review i have read here is from a noob who simply didn't know what to do....have patience and after about a week of playing it all begins to make sense, the user interface becomes intuitive and you become more immersed in the complexity of the game rather than the mechanics. One of the things that makes it so good is how well it mimics real life when it comes to player interaction, in EVE people don't have to be nice....they can be downright evil and EVE is a better game for it, annoy someone, blow their ship up (or heaven forbid pod them - muahahaha) or tell them their mother resembles something you stepped in and they might well harbour a desire to spread your atoms across a star system and in EVE there are very few places you can be totally safe.....you think you're untouchable in high security systems with the space filth keeping a careful eye out? think again! annoy someone enough and you might have a war declaration on your hands and if that happens you are safe.....nowhere! There's so much do in EVE it would take too long to type but worthy of mention is the real time skill learning, no more 'grinding' as in most mmo's, having to shoot arrows at a rat for hours to get your archery skill up, in EVE you simply select a skill and it has a certain amount of time to learn whether you're logged in or not, this is great as you play because you want to have fun, not because you need to grind up a level and for those of us who have jobs, a partner, a family.....you can play eve a few hours a week and rest easy knowing that you're still getting more skilled all the time. Eve.....there is nothing else like it! Expand
  84. MikeS
    Nov 30, 2009
    When you look away from how much it is to learn, EVE online is the only game of it's kind! I don't need to say more, so many ships and things to do, finaly i dont have to grind anymore! :D
  85. LukasA
    Nov 14, 2009
    I gave this game a 9, only because of the price you have to pay every month (But believe me its worth, but it's still a hefty price) The ones giving this game 0 or 1 havent played it enough to fully enjoy it!
  86. Joe
    Nov 1, 2009
    Simply an overated game. I read people talking about a high learning curve...i honestly did not notice that. It has good tutorial misions to get you started and the rest kinda explainst it self. The game looks nice, but game progress way to slow to keep me interested. to be honest after a couple of weeks I already got so bored with it that i stoped playing. I agree with the reviewer that Simply an overated game. I read people talking about a high learning curve...i honestly did not notice that. It has good tutorial misions to get you started and the rest kinda explainst it self. The game looks nice, but game progress way to slow to keep me interested. to be honest after a couple of weeks I already got so bored with it that i stoped playing. I agree with the reviewer that mentions it not a real MMO. It is mostly npc misions and not much interaction with other players. The pont here is not if you can aford to pay it every month, the point is that it is not worth it. All those people here that rates it with 10 receive probably in-game bonusus for writing the 10 star reviews. Expand
  87. InvaderTak
    Oct 31, 2009
    I've been playing EVE for 3 years now, and you might ask why I gave it a 5? Well here is my answer. Despite what some have said EVE is not a complex game to understand, it's mostly easy to grasp the ship to ship combat, electronic warfare, industry, mining or the many other areas aspects of the game, it's a very detailed and well thought out game environment. But that
  88. TravisR
    Oct 29, 2009
    Ive played EvE Online for about 5 months. I just canceled my sub after this time. EvE is an incredibly complex game. Often there are jokes made by players that the game has a learning cliff, not a learning curve. I started out missioning and mining, and eventually just missioned primarily. The game can be highly entertaining, however for me, eventually the novelty wore off. Missioning Ive played EvE Online for about 5 months. I just canceled my sub after this time. EvE is an incredibly complex game. Often there are jokes made by players that the game has a learning cliff, not a learning curve. I started out missioning and mining, and eventually just missioned primarily. The game can be highly entertaining, however for me, eventually the novelty wore off. Missioning became extremely repetitive as I was given the same missions over and over again. The game has no real direction as it is a true sandbox MMO. Outfitting your ship correctly is paramount as not doing so can result in the permanent loss of your ship. Theres a plethora of activities to participate in EvE such as mining, missioning, probing, and trading to name a few. However its common to see folks logging back on after being inactive for months or even years. I believe this is because once the novelty wears off the game becomes stale and boring. Id like to give it a better score as I did have some fun in EvE, but overall there was not enough there to keep me interested, despite EvE being a huge game. Expand
  89. DaveB
    Oct 16, 2009
    The first thing to say is that this game is not for everyone! If you crave instant gratification, dont want to work closely with others or don't like the idea of being shot at by other players then I really wouldn't bother. On the other hand, if you are an intelligent adult with patience who values the social side of MMOs highly you will not be dissapointed. Its is the marmite The first thing to say is that this game is not for everyone! If you crave instant gratification, dont want to work closely with others or don't like the idea of being shot at by other players then I really wouldn't bother. On the other hand, if you are an intelligent adult with patience who values the social side of MMOs highly you will not be dissapointed. Its is the marmite of MMOs. Many will not make it past the tutorial, but for those who persevere the rewards are huge. I have been playing for just under three years. I started with nothing, found some like minded people to fly with, learned to fight in an increasingly powerful set of ships and policed the pirates in a very dangerous area of low-security space to their near extinction. Soon we joined forces with similar groups of players and formed an alliance in order to conquer our own area of space. This grew to one of the largest groups of players ever seen in online gaming, with nearly 3000 members at its peak. We struggled with more established groups as part of an ongoing war between tens of thousands of players in deep space. No other game allows this kind of epic experience. Expand
  90. TCM
    Oct 15, 2009
    I like EVE. Looking at the other comments I am not the average person who likes EVE. I am not big on corporations, gang activities or making new friends on-line - although I have enjoyed that side of EVE. I am a role-player, of the old-skool stay-in-character and get immersed in the world kind. The EVE sandbox and universe is flexible enough to make it possible for me to play EVE like a I like EVE. Looking at the other comments I am not the average person who likes EVE. I am not big on corporations, gang activities or making new friends on-line - although I have enjoyed that side of EVE. I am a role-player, of the old-skool stay-in-character and get immersed in the world kind. The EVE sandbox and universe is flexible enough to make it possible for me to play EVE like a game, to be a character in a fictional world living a fictional life, having fun with the challenges and achievements provided by the EVE universe. It is a lot easier to be a roleplayer in EVE than in other MMORPGs I have played. Why? Because it is big enough and because you have the freedom to live your characters life without having to jump through mandated arbitrary hoops that would spoil the immersion Unfortunately, the RP side of the gime is let down by the fact that the majority of the players don't RP, so interacting with them in chat requires skill to maintain in-game enjoyment. This is a shame, no biggie though, there are RP corps in EVE, I have not found one that suited me, so I formed one myself. If I have a complaint about EVE it is that even though it is supposed to be a space game you have to make an effort to continually ignore the created environment, which is not very space like. It is more like underwater, the stars shimmer and twinkle and the sky is filled with in-your-face nebula and glowing things. Barely an inch of space is actually black. Also the interface is organized with a consistent up and down which really spoils things. This is a really big shame because the universe itself is true 3D, it seems that a simple toggle "reduced nebula" and "free 3D camera mode" would solve this issue completely. I am still playing EVE after 4 years and still enjoying it. I have nothing but respect for CCP for not straying from their goals in the design of EVE over the years. Keeping it sandbox and PVP and yet still making it more accessible to new players. I rate it 7. It has no competitors at the moment. Expand
  91. KarlK
    Oct 3, 2009
    The game is awesome and you dont have to pay for expansions which is amazing. The game needs patience and smarts, its open and free, i highly
  92. ChrisB
    Oct 2, 2009
    Its an amazing experience. It took me pretty long to find my way through the game and it's economy. But once I was in there I was hooked. Keep it up CCP!
  93. JoeBobH.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Those on a trial account who haven't played EVE more than a couple of weeks are offering a review based upon about 5% of the game (if that). It is, indeed, likely the most complex MMO out there, even outdoing the complexity of most single-player space games. I didn't give the game a 10 rating only because the missioning, mining, etc., if rated only by themselves, are average at Those on a trial account who haven't played EVE more than a couple of weeks are offering a review based upon about 5% of the game (if that). It is, indeed, likely the most complex MMO out there, even outdoing the complexity of most single-player space games. I didn't give the game a 10 rating only because the missioning, mining, etc., if rated only by themselves, are average at best and even boring at times, and the player tutorials and attention-grabbing effects could be done better to prevent people from quitting before getting into the real meat of the game. I mention this because a player with a 14 day trial will likely only experience one or two sides of the many options of play in the game, and thus will likely only experience very average gameplay. However, when you take the game as a whole: missioning, mining, worm-hole exploration, hacking, creating usable in-game equipment, trading on the market, manipulating the market, mining, building player-owned stations that are static structures in the game, flying capital ships that literally take a year or more in real-time to skill up to, fleet combat in high security, gang warfare in low security, 100s of ships in a single fleet engagement in null-security (the wild west of the game), solo pirating to extort money from other players, running corporations, becoming a member of a real player corporation, the real politics between major real-player alliances that own certain parts of space, and on and on; when you take all of these interesting things into account, and without getting into the many cool nuances of PVP, optimizing ship fittings to the type of engagements, and the seemingly endless possibilities for setting up your character, you have an absolutely astounding game that takes many months or even years to fully grasp, and it is a game that evolves so that there is always something new to learn or do no matter how long you've been playing. There are over 5000 solar systems in the game, and I haven't been to more than a third of them myself. Many players have *never* lived in 0.0 security areas in the years that they've played. Also nice is the ability to skill up when you're not playing online and the ability to buy and sell player time with in-game money (ISK). It is actually possible to play the game for free and without restrictions if you play enough lot to earn a lot of in-game-ISK every month, and it is also possible to re-supply your own in-game money (ISK) by buying playing time and selling it on the in-game market, all completely legally. All that to say, this is a great game, and it will take a while fully experience its beauty. Just don't expect twitch shooting and point-and-click laser blasts. It is a game for those who like nuance in a game, who don't mind planning wars and engagements rather than blindly barging into them, and who enjoy strategy and complexity. Expand
  94. willH
    Sep 22, 2009
    The game is amazing, but the learning curve is incredibly high. This is by far the most complex game i have ever played, i tried it three different times before i became hooked. once you get over the curve the game opens up to the player in a very large sandboxy way. you can do whatever you want, so long as you have patience. my only gripe is that visually it isn't much to look at, The game is amazing, but the learning curve is incredibly high. This is by far the most complex game i have ever played, i tried it three different times before i became hooked. once you get over the curve the game opens up to the player in a very large sandboxy way. you can do whatever you want, so long as you have patience. my only gripe is that visually it isn't much to look at, and that that combat does not challenge quick reflexes. I would say that this is the second best MMO i have ever played after WoW. Expand
  95. DavidM
    Sep 20, 2009
    I've been playing EVE for about 6 months now and I'm getting to the point where everything takes about two weeks to train a single skill, but there's so much to do at this point - higher level missions, pvp, pirating, etc. - that it doesn't even bother me. The learning curve is quite big, but having started before Apocrypha came out, it has shrunk dramatically. I've been playing EVE for about 6 months now and I'm getting to the point where everything takes about two weeks to train a single skill, but there's so much to do at this point - higher level missions, pvp, pirating, etc. - that it doesn't even bother me. The learning curve is quite big, but having started before Apocrypha came out, it has shrunk dramatically. Seriously, if you can't figure out how to play the game after about an hour, you probably don't have the income to play the game in the first place or you're just too impatient and therefore of no use to the EVE universe. Doing things in-game does indeed take time, but its much more enjoyable doing that than mining ore in Arathi Basin. Also, as far as "not having enough money", your income grows exponentially. First week you'll have maybe 500k ISK (in-game currency), and in a couple of weeks you'll have probably about 10 million isk, then in a couple months, you'll have about 70 mil, if you're doing it right, and so on and so forth. The people who complain about this game are two kinds of people - WoW trolls, both in-game and in-forum, who have their moms pay for their accounts even though they're 32 years old and who expect to have everything they want instantly due to mommy's pampering and those who are unaware that MMO's are pay-to-play (they don't even know what WoW is or they don't really care). So, given the learning curve I'd say this game deserves a 9. This game could be easily understood by everyone if they would just take their time, read what's on the screen, follow the tutorials, and prosper. Play this game! Do it nao! See you in EVE!!! Expand
  96. John
    Sep 15, 2009
    This game is probably the most complex MMO ever made. It take you days to understand basics, months to be a goodf player, to be a very good one even years. I'm playing it for three years nor and there are still things I don't know. But this giant, dynamic universe gives you incedible freedom in choosing your path to power and fame, you can be a battle pilot, a pirate, This game is probably the most complex MMO ever made. It take you days to understand basics, months to be a goodf player, to be a very good one even years. I'm playing it for three years nor and there are still things I don't know. But this giant, dynamic universe gives you incedible freedom in choosing your path to power and fame, you can be a battle pilot, a pirate, inudustrialist, miner, mercenary... Or even do a little bit of all that! There are no classes, your path is always your own and you can do anything with it. If you have patience, try this game - than you will find that it's different tha any other. Expand
  97. OliverG
    Sep 15, 2009
    This game really depends on your taste really, its not a world like WoW its a universe, making it more challenging and immensely addictive. Within 7 days I have had 3 of my ships destroyed over my ignorance, but that is a hard lesson to it. Firstly you cannot go about in ships on mining zones without A. People around wanting to kill the damn NPC fighters or B. You having basic guns to This game really depends on your taste really, its not a world like WoW its a universe, making it more challenging and immensely addictive. Within 7 days I have had 3 of my ships destroyed over my ignorance, but that is a hard lesson to it. Firstly you cannot go about in ships on mining zones without A. People around wanting to kill the damn NPC fighters or B. You having basic guns to take them out yourself. So let me start,firstly you have missions, missions are fun and engage you, theres missions on salvaging, fighting, transporting, mining, higher level battles vs 20 other ships and everything you can think of. These missions give you from 20K per mission to a massive 200K per mission with bonuses, they are also a way to get free ships from agents that give you said missions. There is about 3 days of being a noob and doing missions, earning money etc till you get the skils and the cash to get either a good frigate or a destroyer class. Next you have mining, mining allows you to strip ore off asteroids, bring it to a space station and have two options, refine it and sell it or sell it as main ore. Refining is instant and BANG veldspar becomes tritanium. Mining is also essential to industry in order to build things on time. Then you have industy, industy is ALMIGHTY, it is all about moving large amounts of maerials from one place to the other, assembling equipment for cheaper than you would in stores with those materials and thenselling them to players for gobsmackingly cheaper prices or just selling em to the local space station. Finally I couldn't ignore pirating, pirating is killing other players to scavenge their ships and to add an option, you can make them pay you not to pod kill them and send them to their clone. However you should have a cruiser at LEAST or have a powerful destroyer/frigate that has powerful RIG's on it ( ship modifications ) to take damage and deal lots of damage. T Expand
  98. JeffF
    Sep 10, 2009
    I absolutely love this game, have been playing for over 3 years now with 4 different accounts. One of the things that I absolutely love about this game is that I can play it for free, game time (PLEX) can be bought with the game currency (ISK). There are many different ways to make ISK; PVP, Mission Running, Mining, Manufacturing, Exploration, and Trading are some that come to mind. I absolutely love this game, have been playing for over 3 years now with 4 different accounts. One of the things that I absolutely love about this game is that I can play it for free, game time (PLEX) can be bought with the game currency (ISK). There are many different ways to make ISK; PVP, Mission Running, Mining, Manufacturing, Exploration, and Trading are some that come to mind. Depending on my mood influences how I am going to play to get the experience that I desire while still keeping the game free to play for me. (I'm AFK mining in high sec while I am surfing the internet atm.) I highly recommend first time players to do the tutorial, it answers many of the issues that people have with gameplay. Expand
  99. b00tsyc
    Sep 4, 2009
    Ive been doing the free trail for a couple of days now and here is my review based on the couple of days. First of all this game reminds me a lot of the text based sci-fi strategy browser games ive played for years, games like Galactic Conquest and Unification Wars. So for that matter this game does not bring much new, it only has a nice 3D setting. The game progression is extremely slow. Ive been doing the free trail for a couple of days now and here is my review based on the couple of days. First of all this game reminds me a lot of the text based sci-fi strategy browser games ive played for years, games like Galactic Conquest and Unification Wars. So for that matter this game does not bring much new, it only has a nice 3D setting. The game progression is extremely slow. On my first day it already takes more then 24 hours to upgrade a new skill. I have plenty of money ingame already to buy nice ships etc, but no skills enough to purchase it...so that sucks. This game is a MMO, but other then the (annoying) chat window i don't notice at all that i am playing it together with other players. Ive been fighting and interacting with NPC's only so far. Because there is no interaction with other players or not much and the slow game progression the game is not very exciting. Its a nice game to play while your watching TV or doing something else on the side. The graphics in the game are okay, but not special or anything. Infact a lot of textures that have been used reminds me of Hlf-Life textures that were modified a bit. Asking 15 Euro's every freaking month for this game is pretty insane, its totaly not worth it. If they would ask half that price it would still be pretty steep, but i might just play it then for some months to see how it goes. !5 Euro's, no way. Further, they advertise this game with 250.000 subscribtions, but i only see 4k players online at max and when i login i see that there are 27k active accounts so far (5k free trail accounts). I hardly call this a MASSIVE multi player game. If they would reduce the price by half they would have a LOT more players online. For this current price i can buy about 8 top selling and new released games in a year time.... For now i feel i am much better of to buy a bunch of other games that has multi player online modes aswell instead of spending the money on EVE. All in all, Its not a bad game, infact i like it. Its just way to over priced and to much NPC interaction. Expand
  100. ServingWench
    Aug 27, 2009
    I've been playing EVE nearly 3 years now (December of 2006). This is not a game for little kids, or people without a modicum of patience. If you want a game that you can learn, and max out a character in a month or two, look to WoW, or any other cookie cutter MMORPG (LOTRO, etc) that displays zero thought or ingenuity in it's design. EVE is all about freedom. The company (CCP) I've been playing EVE nearly 3 years now (December of 2006). This is not a game for little kids, or people without a modicum of patience. If you want a game that you can learn, and max out a character in a month or two, look to WoW, or any other cookie cutter MMORPG (LOTRO, etc) that displays zero thought or ingenuity in it's design. EVE is all about freedom. The company (CCP) actually endorses scamming other players as a legitimate money making occupation, something rare in MMORPG's. For those who state that the only reason to play this game is it's graphics, I would beg to differ, as EVE has been around since 2003, and only recently had its graphics engine completely overhauled to utilize DirectX 10. The engine before wasn't bad, but certainly didn't qualify as "Eye Candy". The gameplay is certainly complex, but it's not unlearnable (if you make an effort). Skill training can be accomplished whether you're playing or not, which is nice if you won't be able to play for a while due to work or other life issues. Bottom line is this game is for those players who want something to that will challenge them for years, not weeks/months. I give it 9/10 simply because heck.. there's always room for improvement. Expand

1. EVE Online retains its old shortcomings (Not being able to leave your ship ord control it directly.), but certainly offers a lot of content for a small amount of your money.
  2. Despite some partially unfinished features and a few annoying balance issues, EVE Online is greater than the sum of its parts and the best "sandbox" MMO in a market cluttered by canned content. Still a bit harsh to newbies, but with the release of Apocrypha more accessible than ever before. If you can get over the initial hurdles, potentially more addictive than World of Warcraft - you have been warned.
  3. EVE Online: Apocrypha brings more territory to discover and explore and a softer learning curve.