7.3

1. May 13, 2013
    I would like to start off with something totally positive. Compared to a s**t tone of other MMO/MMORPG currently on the market, Everquest II has an impressive selection of races. I played dozens of MMOs before and NEVER before were I able to control a half-dragon, rat or pixie. The selection of classes is equally good. We have 4 basic archetypes fighter, mage, priest and scout. However, each of them covers a whooping 6 classes. Another thing that really helped me to immerse into the game was the idea of character alignments (something like D&D, but only with the basic good, evil, neutral). The graphics, though outdated, look pretty much OK. However, on first glance that's it...

The combat system is terribly outdated. It's a real shame how many games have to torment players with the 'click to attack' system. Addition of WSAD does add to maneuverability, true, but doesn't help much in the long run. Animations are extremely bad. I frequently found myself attacking a monster, dealing damage yet not really waving with my wand/rod/sword/hand. That hurt especially when playing monk. I really wanted to immerse into EQ2 as a Kerra monk, ferocious and wild. The problem was I just couldn't with all that irregular waving! Skill animations probably suck the most Unfortunately, the interface and written text seems unappealing as well. I hate when the text in-game is plain and/or is written in those default Word fonts, like Arial or Times New Roman. I've seen it in only 1 game before and hated it with passion, too ;P.

The last thing I completely fail to understand is why the same company offers two games that are almost identical Everquest II and Vanguard? I tried Vanguard and then Everquest II, and later I suddenly realized the games are exactly the same thing graphic-wise and race/class-wise. Sure, there are some difference, but the first impression is rather discouraging...

All in all, I'll give the game a 4/10. It is rather old, outdated and rough in overall. However, it gave me the feel that there actually are MMO games that have a lore you can really touch, and which aren't so ridiculously generic :P. Also, if you enjoyed WoW, Everquest II might be an interesting choice anyway.
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    This game... is simply terrible. It does nothing to capture the feel of the first game. While I can respect that they would want to move away from the traditional, many games did that and were far more successful. I played back in beta and quit about six months after it came out. I went back to play it, again, after it went free to play and realized... IT WAS WORSE THAN BEFORE!!!!! This game is a pitiful cash grab for SoE.

I could go into detail, about the game play mechanics, but that would be too much negativity, to mention (and I would run out of characters before I was done). I can comment on the wonderful graphics... which is why this game gets a 1 out of 10, instead of a 0 out of 10. When the game was first released, the graphics were amazing, everything else sucked.... Now, its even worse, not sure how SoE pulled off making a game WORSE than it was before, but they did.

I recommend you play the first game, might not have the graphics, but the game play is very in depth, challenging, and classic.

1. So while EverQuest II isn't the massive step for the genre that its predecessor was, it can still be a fun and addictive online role-playing experience that has a lot to offer new and experienced players alike.
  2. All of these details get wound into a very straightforward game world that is absolutely packed with quests and other things to do. In most MMOs, characters spend their first 10 or 20 levels looking for enough things to do to earn better powers and weapons. Here, a ceaseless barrage of possible tasks begins with the orientation area (on the Isle of Refuge) and continues deep into the game.
  3. Challenging games are becoming an endangered species in the MMORG genre; several of the latest releases seem to cater to the lowest common denominator of the gaming community. EverQuest II reverses that trend.