8.4

1. Oct 14, 2011
    I haven't played this game in years, but when I played it back around 2000-20004 it was an incredibly addicting experience. Some of my favorite MMO experiences are in this game. This was the mother of World of Warcraft, and in many ways it was more immersive. I miss the first person view, the massive world and the battle over "Boss kills" between the big guilds on the server. The deathI haven't played this game in years, but when I played it back around 2000-20004 it was an incredibly addicting experience. Some of my favorite MMO experiences are in this game. This was the mother of World of Warcraft, and in many ways it was more immersive. I miss the first person view, the massive world and the battle over "Boss kills" between the big guilds on the server. The death penalty may have been harsh sometimes, but it ultimately made the experience more rewarding. It was fun times indeed. The only problem with the game was the incredible amount of time you had to put into the game to get anywhere, and once the server population started thinning getting pickup groups became harder and harder. Expand
  2. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    A great game at its time, also there were too few of them then It defined the MMOs for the time to come, yes even WoW, i know WoW fans may find it hard to believe it. Now some of its legacies were good, some not, still that was the Original!! In many aspects i haven't seen a better MMO like classes with role defining abilities, immersing world (even day/night had a major impact) etc.A great game at its time, also there were too few of them then It defined the MMOs for the time to come, yes even WoW, i know WoW fans may find it hard to believe it. Now some of its legacies were good, some not, still that was the Original!! In many aspects i haven't seen a better MMO like classes with role defining abilities, immersing world (even day/night had a major impact) etc. Still its lack of soloability, and the raid oriented content of later expansions left it with a relatively few dedicated players in major guilds and the rest moved to EQ2 or WoW mostly. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    This game was the start of it all and still holds many memories of a good time meeting and socializing with people. Now a days MMO's feel disconnected but when this game came out there was a sense of "needing" to band together and group up to get things done giving a sense of community. Before any kind of auctioning system was in place, you used to have to auction items and barter tradeThis game was the start of it all and still holds many memories of a good time meeting and socializing with people. Now a days MMO's feel disconnected but when this game came out there was a sense of "needing" to band together and group up to get things done giving a sense of community. Before any kind of auctioning system was in place, you used to have to auction items and barter trade which was awesome because you could really get some good deals just by bargaining with other players first hand instead of choosing a "buy now" option... but those days are long gone and this game will forever be that great mmo I will probably never find again. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    I was there during beta and I left for 8 years later on and returned some 8 months ago. Yes it has aged a lot but it has such a huge body of content and depth of story that it is definitely worth a look.

The biggest issue with Everquest is that Sony Online Entertainment have it. This is a company that treat gaming customers with utter contempt and let's be honest, do you trust these guys with your personal data?

Everquest will run on anything, has huge depth and a much more mature user base than many MMO. You can play it your own way and have plenty of opportunities to play for a long time to come but bear in mind, it is very very old and it shows. Having made that comment, having beta tested and brought virtually every other MMO release since I keep EQ installed since returning and find I like to drop in and play from my laptop when in hotels bored or just when I want to slow the pace a bit.

Dont expect PvP on EQ, it didnt work 14 years ago and it doesnt work now. SOE in particular seem to be hopelessly unable to make PvP which is balanced and engaging. The early days of EQ saw some of the best PvP experiences I ever had in an online game but then SOE brought it and did nothing positive with it.
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    Dethstar's review of EQ was spot on. SOE (Sony Online Entertainment), is possibly the poorest managed company you will encounter in your lifetime!

A few years ago I left the game owing to horrible customer service. A few things you might see from this company: an hour plus being on hold while trying to correct a billing error, and good luck finding the cancel button for your auto bill... it's hidden. Or how about this all too common response “That’s a known issue, we can’t help you”… ran into that several times. To sum up customer service (which is based on management): they are either unwilling or unable to help you, and you will be expected to jump through red tape and hoops to have things done which are automated in other games. They’re not going to help you, so don’t even try!

So after about 5 years of being away from this game (mostly playing wow) I figured to give it a try again (2013), hoping they would have new management… they don’t, same thing. When a company forgets who pays the bills (the customer), it’s a long or short road to bankruptcy. Our best hope is that SOE goes under soon and a well managed company buys the software.

With that said, this game has a ton of potential, depth in content, a leveling/gear strategy that blows the competition away! PVE that is challenging, and a game playing style which truly supports team play and interaction with other gaming members. After some minor changes, I like this games design more than any other on the market.

Simply put, I refuse to give money to a company which is run this way.
  6. Aug 2, 2014
    I love this game like a parent loves a child that just stole and wrecked their car. I play this game all the time and understand it is staying "more true" to its roots than most games that have become too easy to level up and acquire the best items. With that said though, everquest is a mess, it has glitches and problems that were around in 2002 and have never been fixed. The dev teamI love this game like a parent loves a child that just stole and wrecked their car. I play this game all the time and understand it is staying "more true" to its roots than most games that have become too easy to level up and acquire the best items. With that said though, everquest is a mess, it has glitches and problems that were around in 2002 and have never been fixed. The dev team is more worried about pumping out expansions that fixing anything. Enemies still walk through walls, some zones have terrible pathing and mercenaries that are stronger than actual players for the first 50 levels. I can't ignore the flaws, I love the game and you might too, but it just doesn't deserve a high rating. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2014
    Came back recently after a 10 year hiatus. I am loving it!
    The game has improved immensely. It's more user friendly than it used to be, but not "easy mode" like most newer MMORPGs. I think it's a good balance between challenge and reward.
    It also has a TON of free content (18 of 20 expansions are included in F2P). I highly recommend checking it out either if you used to play or are
    Came back recently after a 10 year hiatus. I am loving it!
    It also has a TON of free content (18 of 20 expansions are included in F2P).
    I highly recommend checking it out either if you used to play or are bored with modern MMOs.
    Make sure to play the Tutorial, as it explains the game very well.
  8. Dec 31, 2014
    The 1st fully 3D MMO, was a major success, that drove the gaming industry to look at MMO's seriously. Developed originally by Verant, it was an amazing experience for gamers of the time. Unlike previous MMO's which were limited to 2D or isometric 3D, this MMO brought exploration to the table and a huge world with dangerous environments, punishing monsters around every corner, boat ridesThe 1st fully 3D MMO, was a major success, that drove the gaming industry to look at MMO's seriously. Developed originally by Verant, it was an amazing experience for gamers of the time. Unlike previous MMO's which were limited to 2D or isometric 3D, this MMO brought exploration to the table and a huge world with dangerous environments, punishing monsters around every corner, boat rides and massive raids like none we had seen before.

Classes in the game were static with very little wiggle room in customization but each classes was very unique and had a purpose (for the most part). The game employed the old trinity class system where you needed a tank, cleric and dps class to beat difficult enemies. This created a problem for many who played hybrid classes not being able to find groups since their characters were not as effective as others playing a "trinity" class. Nonetheless, groups formed, people solo'ed when they had to, and raids still took place with friends and family playing together regardless of classes.

The nice thing about Everquest is that due to difficulty, almost all progression was worthwhile be it quests, crafting or just level grinding... at least, that is how it was early in the game (up to the 3rd expansion) and that is how I wish to remember this fantastic game. Unfortunately, when Sony purchased the game, the game quickly spiraled down the drain with additional content that was lazily designed, poorly tested, and clearly meant to be a time sink rather than a fun time for all. Sony made unilateral decisions regarding how the game should be played and they designed all new content that way polarized much of the subscribers until finally, everyone turned their backs on Sony and moved over to WoW as soon as it hit the shelves. But that is a long story for another day.

1. The massively muliplayer RPG that's so addictive it makes crack look like Sanka. Play this game at your own risk. [Feb 2003, p.94]
    A game that is constantly evolving, and we're looking forward to seeing how the game progresses into the next millennium.
  3. EverQuest strikes me as a great idea well executed. I found myself irrevocably attached to my character and, once I gained enough power, thoroughly enjoyed helping others advance themselves.