EverQuest PC

8.3

1. Sep 22, 2016
    This has to be my favorite game of all time. I started playing in 2000 when Kunark expansion was just released... and MAN... I was blown away. By the time you log on, you felt like you were part of a living AND breathing world. It was very dynamic feeling because OF THE PLAYERS WERE ENGAGED(Guilds and Clans who had reputations, beefs among each other, there was zone chat, A tunnel whereThis has to be my favorite game of all time. I started playing in 2000 when Kunark expansion was just released... and MAN... I was blown away. By the time you log on, you felt like you were part of a living AND breathing world. It was very dynamic feeling because OF THE PLAYERS WERE ENGAGED(Guilds and Clans who had reputations, beefs among each other, there was zone chat, A tunnel where people would trade face to face, players depending on other players for survival, etc).

You would literally login at 8 in the morning and I would be completely immersed by the social dynamics and dangerous world.... find myself loging off at 6PM... realizing this was another universe. It was absolutely epic.

Nowadays, WoW ruined the social aspect. I swear, people would not DARE offend other players or troll others without any SERIOUS impact on their ability to play in the game(such as find groups which you needed. or joining a guild because your character had a reputation). Everything about the game was designed for people to socialize and to form bonds online.

For example, you could not just plow through monsters like you do nowadays. It took CAREFUL planning and communicating with team members to be on the same page before each fight. If one person did not participate, than your group would surely be wiped out even by the most basic npc/mob. So each class had their distinct role. You had someone who would pull the monsters and bring them towards your group while a healer would keep him alive just long enough for a tank class to taunt the enemy and receive it's attention. This tank was able to take high loads of damage while the healer would be able to keep him alive. But that was not enough!! You needed another team member to "mezz" the additional enemies that would come along and would surely wipe out your group in a few seconds(this mezzer would basically paralyze these npcs). If at any point, your team members were not communicating together on which monster to kill first, then a single attack on an extra NPC would cause the mezz to wear off...which could spell doom. Then there was the direct damage classes such as the Rogue and the Mage who would be your lifeblood to kill these monsters! A COMBINATION OF ALL THIS MADE THE GAME EXTREMELY SOCIAL.

Nowadays, when you group in games like WoW you have no time to even type a message or communicate because your group is running through monsters so fast that you would be left behind if you even tried to type anything... So nobody talks anymore. Besides, it's not like your group will be wiped out if you made a single mistake coordinating. In EQ you had ALOT OF DOWNTIME BETWEEN FIGHTS, to recuperate mana for your casters... in between this time you formed bonds by talking to each other and forming bonds between your group and getting to know each other. You would spend hours with total strangers as if they were guildmates. THis is how it's done. Compare this to modern day mmorpgs, where people never talk to each other and there's no need to be social at all. In fact, you just click "join dungeon" and you run through a dungeon as fast as possible and you don't have anytime to type a single message lol.

This game wasn't perfect. But it had ONE thing that it did REALLY well. This one thing was UNIQUE AND NO MODERN MMORPG CAN DO.
    This one unique thing is social dynamics and a feeling of a living breathing world. This alone is worth it's weight in gold. I rather have a game with tons of annoyances but with this aspect. To me this is an mmorpg. These WoW clones are single player large scale multiplayer games. At best, they are like COD "matches" where the server joins you to a arena.

I'm waiting for Pantheon Rise of the Fallen. That game is being made by Brad Mcquaid. One of the original founders of EQ. Looking at his videos and tenets of the game... it will be exactly what we're looking for !
  2. Jun 9, 2015
    In its prime, it was called "EverCrack" for a reason. Though it has been rebuilt, built upon, and built upon again over the long running years of development, you can still feel the roots of the game that made it great as you go through it, and eventually you will have to concede the fact that this MMO has more world area content (zones) to explore than any other MMO on the market today.In its prime, it was called "EverCrack" for a reason. Though it has been rebuilt, built upon, and built upon again over the long running years of development, you can still feel the roots of the game that made it great as you go through it, and eventually you will have to concede the fact that this MMO has more world area content (zones) to explore than any other MMO on the market today. It also contains a large number of classes and races to choose from, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of different pieces of usable and equipable gear, quest items, monsters and so forth making the game vast in dimension. The players are fanatically loyal, especially the "oldcore" players like myself, though many have migrated to the Daybreak Game Company approved Project 1999 fan-run server which still hosts old-school content. If you can see past the somewhat moded graphics (excepting the new content) and the still-static-feeling combat system you could easily see how such a vast universe with a vibrant and long running history could easily still be the #1 MMO on the market had WoW never taken that throne. Expand
  3. Apr 3, 2015
    This is an old game that has gone through a lot of ups and downs. I have left and returned multiple times, but that is just it, I always come back. Other mmos I have left and forgotten while this one stays with me. It is one of the few games left that has the balls to say, clerics are healers--no you don't get a dps spec. Some classes excel at things and are better at things thanThis is an old game that has gone through a lot of ups and downs. I have left and returned multiple times, but that is just it, I always come back. Other mmos I have left and forgotten while this one stays with me. It is one of the few games left that has the balls to say, clerics are healers--no you don't get a dps spec. Some classes excel at things and are better at things than others, while everything balances out in a way. I hate how every mmo now wants everyone to do everything the same. Rogues should not do the same as a wizard, that is why wizards have a limited mana bar. This game is challenging and takes some learning, but it is one of the few mmos left that don't let you frolic through zones without a care as you mow down everything you see. Without challenge all rewards seem pointless, and this game makes it feel worth the effort. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2014
    The 1st fully 3D MMO, was a major success, that drove the gaming industry to look at MMO's seriously. Developed originally by Verant, it was an amazing experience for gamers of the time. Unlike previous MMO's which were limited to 2D or isometric 3D, this MMO brought exploration to the table and a huge world with dangerous environments, punishing monsters around every corner, boat ridesThe 1st fully 3D MMO, was a major success, that drove the gaming industry to look at MMO's seriously. Developed originally by Verant, it was an amazing experience for gamers of the time. Unlike previous MMO's which were limited to 2D or isometric 3D, this MMO brought exploration to the table and a huge world with dangerous environments, punishing monsters around every corner, boat rides and massive raids like none we had seen before.

Classes in the game were static with very little wiggle room in customization but each classes was very unique and had a purpose (for the most part). The game employed the old trinity class system where you needed a tank, cleric and dps class to beat difficult enemies. This created a problem for many who played hybrid classes not being able to find groups since their characters were not as effective as others playing a "trinity" class. Nonetheless, groups formed, people solo'ed when they had to, and raids still took place with friends and family playing together regardless of classes.

The nice thing about Everquest is that due to difficulty, almost all progression was worthwhile be it quests, crafting or just level grinding... at least, that is how it was early in the game (up to the 3rd expansion) and that is how I wish to remember this fantastic game. Unfortunately, when Sony purchased the game, the game quickly spiraled down the drain with additional content that was lazily designed, poorly tested, and clearly meant to be a time sink rather than a fun time for all. Sony made unilateral decisions regarding how the game should be played and they designed all new content that way polarized much of the subscribers until finally, everyone turned their backs on Sony and moved over to WoW as soon as it hit the shelves. But that is a long story for another day.
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    Came back recently after a 10 year hiatus. I am loving it!
    The game has improved immensely. It's more user friendly than it used to be, but not "easy mode" like most newer MMORPGs. I think it's a good balance between challenge and reward.
    It also has a TON of free content (18 of 20 expansions are included in F2P). I highly recommend checking it out either if you used to play or are
    Came back recently after a 10 year hiatus. I am loving it!
    It also has a TON of free content (18 of 20 expansions are included in F2P).
    I highly recommend checking it out either if you used to play or are bored with modern MMOs.
    Make sure to play the Tutorial, as it explains the game very well.
  6. Apr 6, 2013
    This game was the start of it all and still holds many memories of a good time meeting and socializing with people. Now a days MMO's feel disconnected but when this game came out there was a sense of "needing" to band together and group up to get things done giving a sense of community. Before any kind of auctioning system was in place, you used to have to auction items and barter tradeThis game was the start of it all and still holds many memories of a good time meeting and socializing with people. Now a days MMO's feel disconnected but when this game came out there was a sense of "needing" to band together and group up to get things done giving a sense of community. Before any kind of auctioning system was in place, you used to have to auction items and barter trade which was awesome because you could really get some good deals just by bargaining with other players first hand instead of choosing a "buy now" option... but those days are long gone and this game will forever be that great mmo I will probably never find again. Expand
  7. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    A great game at its time, also there were too few of them then It defined the MMOs for the time to come, yes even WoW, i know WoW fans may find it hard to believe it. Now some of its legacies were good, some not, still that was the Original!! In many aspects i haven't seen a better MMO like classes with role defining abilities, immersing world (even day/night had a major impact) etc.A great game at its time, also there were too few of them then It defined the MMOs for the time to come, yes even WoW, i know WoW fans may find it hard to believe it. Now some of its legacies were good, some not, still that was the Original!! In many aspects i haven't seen a better MMO like classes with role defining abilities, immersing world (even day/night had a major impact) etc. Still its lack of soloability, and the raid oriented content of later expansions left it with a relatively few dedicated players in major guilds and the rest moved to EQ2 or WoW mostly. Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2011
    I haven't played this game in years, but when I played it back around 2000-20004 it was an incredibly addicting experience. Some of my favorite MMO experiences are in this game. This was the mother of World of Warcraft, and in many ways it was more immersive. I miss the first person view, the massive world and the battle over "Boss kills" between the big guilds on the server. The deathI haven't played this game in years, but when I played it back around 2000-20004 it was an incredibly addicting experience. Some of my favorite MMO experiences are in this game. This was the mother of World of Warcraft, and in many ways it was more immersive. I miss the first person view, the massive world and the battle over "Boss kills" between the big guilds on the server. The death penalty may have been harsh sometimes, but it ultimately made the experience more rewarding. It was fun times indeed. The only problem with the game was the incredible amount of time you had to put into the game to get anywhere, and once the server population started thinning getting pickup groups became harder and harder. Expand
  9. CarlC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    Great end game content. Great deal, for 30 bucks you get the original + first 12 expansion packs. Devs make a new expansion every 7-8 months. Massive World. PvP isn't good tho.
  10. XidariaP.
    Nov 3, 2003
    Now listen to me... you will buy this highly addictive game... you will spend endless hours of enjoyment... you will eat, sleep, & breathe Everquest ! -Xidaria
  11. MikeS.
    Feb 27, 2003
    OMG this game rocks!!!! Best mmorpg I've seen yet.

1. GMR Magazine
    The massively muliplayer RPG that's so addictive it makes crack look like Sanka. Play this game at your own risk. [Feb 2003, p.94]
    A game that is constantly evolving, and we're looking forward to seeing how the game progresses into the next millennium.
  3. EverQuest strikes me as a great idea well executed. I found myself irrevocably attached to my character and, once I gained enough power, thoroughly enjoyed helping others advance themselves.