7.7

1. Aug 11, 2013
    Evochron Mercenary is an incredibly hard game, particularly on racing and combat missions. It can get very frustrating, very fast. And the universe as a whole struck me as quite empty and lacking definition. Single player campagins are a succession of random missions, and there is little more incentive to explore the universe and generally have fun than what you get the first time youEvochron Mercenary is an incredibly hard game, particularly on racing and combat missions. It can get very frustrating, very fast. And the universe as a whole struck me as quite empty and lacking definition. Single player campagins are a succession of random missions, and there is little more incentive to explore the universe and generally have fun than what you get the first time you start up the game. Menus are kinda messy and unintuitive, too.

That said, this is probably the best-looking, best playing space flight sim I've played in a long time. It's incredibly easy to mod, and I've had tons of fun playing it with my Thrustmaster HOTAS-X. Outstanding game.
  2. Nov 24, 2014
    A fairly good game with some nice ideas. It's a bit like Freelancer, but a little more "real" and more involved. The multiplayer is where the majority of the fun is at, but you will find it lacks depth. Once you have enough money to buy the best ship in the game (which does not take long at all), you will struggle to find anything to do except explore.

The control of your ship never

The control of your ship never seems quite right, and you find yourself constantly "sliding" everywhere. I have no problem playing space games with inertial dampeners off, but something about this just feels wrong - it takes forever to make course changes if you have any kind of speed.

The developer is absolutely brilliant though. I visited their forums to ask some questions and instantly got a reply from the developer, who implemented a new mechanic to the game based on my questions and feedback. I was stunned at how welcoming and kind the community is for this game. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

A good game, that could be a great game.

Jimbo Rating: 6/10
  3. Feb 5, 2012
    Evochron Mercenary is a space-simulator reminiscent of X1 and X2 and I find it very difficult to judge. Graphics-wise, the screenshots are terribly misleading and so is the price it sells at. The game does offer some form of beauty in the form of fresh ideas such as being able to land on planets, escaping from the gravitational pull of larger objects, customizing the look of the hull ofEvochron Mercenary is a space-simulator reminiscent of X1 and X2 and I find it very difficult to judge. Graphics-wise, the screenshots are terribly misleading and so is the price it sells at. The game does offer some form of beauty in the form of fresh ideas such as being able to land on planets, escaping from the gravitational pull of larger objects, customizing the look of the hull of your ship and the simplicity of the interface. The controls are, as expected of a space-simulator, somewhat difficult to get used to but they respond well (Apart from the navigation map, this menu seems to lag and the zoom-in function is bugged which means I constantly have to readjust before I can properly zoom in) and the game supports a great variety of input devices. I was even able to use all the buttons on my G500 mouse which is something I do not expect from an Indy title. And although the interface seems far more cluttered than it actually is, the player will get the hang of it after a few hours of playing. The combat is somewhat tedious and dull. There are only three types of weapons; beam, bolt and missile. These weapons do come in different "classes" but it changes little. All ships the player can buy more or less do the same. Right from the start you can have a ship with 5 cargo bays and you do not seem to be able to go beyond this amount whether you buy what the game deems a "scout" vessel or a "multi-purpose" vessel. All the equipment that you can mount to each of the ships you can buy is the same as well; the only limiter is the "assemblage" limit. The more expensive your ship, the higher this limit will be. The very first ship you have might not be able to mount a level 10 shield but it will be available regardless. This means, combined with the weapon system, that each ship pretty much does the same in combat. Some ships might be more agile and have less armour or vice versa but that's pretty much where the combat ends. There's also a terribly annoying shaking cokpit when you are hit. Sometimes you simply vibrate to death because you are not able to tell the status of your ship while taking a continued pounding. On top of that, each ship has the exact same cokpit. There is no ship boarding, no launch-deck nor anything else you'd expect from a game that tries to copy X. I have to admit that in the 11 hours that I played, I have done preciously little combat. I wanted to focus on mining and industry but soon learnt that the game hasn't got much to offer in that department; you can only mount one tractor beam (Which doubles as a mining beam) and it takes a fairly long time to fill up five (5) cargo bays. And although mining is rather interesting as you can harvest gas clouds, planets, asteroids and asteroid caves or let mining robots do the work for you, I wasn't sure what to spend the money on. I couldn't buy more cargo bays as five (5) seemed to be the limit and I couldn't mount more mining beams to increase the speed of the mining process. You are able to buy new bases and hire other pilots but there's nothing in this department that X doesn't do better. Eventually, I decided to convert my ship to a fighter and see what combat is about. I must say it isn't very interesting, I found it easiest to simply burn a lot of fuel on the after burner and just slide past all the enemies while letting the on-board targeting system tell me where to shoot. I was too fast for the enemy to shoot down and missiles couldn't chase me. I am still playing the game and perhaps there's more to it than my relatively short stint has unfolded but judging from the videos I've seen and what I've done in the game, it's all very rudimentary and back to basics. It has multi-player but it doesn't have anti-cheat protection and it stores ship-data locally which, in theory, makes it far too easy to cheat. I was looking forward to this game coming on Steam but I wish I had spent the money on something else. I'm rating it average because of some fresh ideas and an experience that might be simplistic but is otherwise "complete" Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2012
    This is a pretty neat little project, albeit with a thin atmosphere. I greatly enjoyed the newtonian physics, and mastering combat with this type of flight was an entertaining challenge. The graphics have a very dated look, but it doesnt detract too much from the game's fun. Alas, not long after you have mastered the game's steep learning curve, you realize you have already experienced allThis is a pretty neat little project, albeit with a thin atmosphere. I greatly enjoyed the newtonian physics, and mastering combat with this type of flight was an entertaining challenge. The graphics have a very dated look, but it doesnt detract too much from the game's fun. Alas, not long after you have mastered the game's steep learning curve, you realize you have already experienced all the game's content. For any readers familiar with it, X3 is harder to learn, but will keep you coming back for much longer than Evochron will. In Evochron, once you've been to one planet, one carrier, and one station, and flown most all the ships, you will already being to feel like you've seen it all. The game advertises how diverse its missions are, but each mission type is so straightfoward it very rapidly feels more like a series of errands, rather than missions. There is almost nothing to make you feel attached to any location or planet or faction. However, the newtonian space battles, as well as the always-fun element of getting to upgrade to shinier, faster, bigger ships, keep this game fun for a notable length of time. I would recommend nabbing this one for $10-$15 depending on the size of your wallet, $20-$25 if you love space combat sims. Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    This game is exactly what it says... and it means it except they negate the fact that it has you in deep dark lonely depressing space. If you play, go to the online servers, because then you can talk to people, and most people want to play with you and just get the whole community involved because its deep dark lonely space. Its worth a try in my opinion, not exactly my flavour.
  6. NLD
    May 24, 2011
    I do play EVE and I do play FPS and this game takes parts of both and tries to blend, but I really see no real depth to keep the players, FPS has speed & action, EVE has planning & an endless world with no reset button. Evochron has a reset button & lamented FPS combat (like a throwback to the 80's arcades). I found it dated and lost, somehow I feel there will be those that will like toI do play EVE and I do play FPS and this game takes parts of both and tries to blend, but I really see no real depth to keep the players, FPS has speed & action, EVE has planning & an endless world with no reset button. Evochron has a reset button & lamented FPS combat (like a throwback to the 80's arcades). I found it dated and lost, somehow I feel there will be those that will like to play it for a while.

Maybe I've been spoiled by EVE & it's one server, all players, no second chance.

The only saving grace is it's free.

1. Jul 12, 2012
    A slow-burning but compelling universe in which to indulge your trading, mining and mercenary fantasies. [Sept 2012, p.74]
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    Life in space is probably not easy, so it's no surprise that there is a distinctly tough learning curve in Evochron Mercenary. Those with enough interest and diligence to stick with it, though, will be rewarded with deep, unfettered space sandbox game play.
  3. Feb 9, 2012