7.6

1. Sep 21, 2011
    A very ambitious undertaking, lacks AAA polish but has to be one of the top indy projects ever. I think it's our duty to support the independent dev's who care about their product. While most games today are made as disposable, evoch merc just keeps on giving.

It's reasonably priced and has an active community who are very helpful.

The physics are amazing and are integral in combat. This
    is much more a simulator than meets the eye. Unfortunately for Evoch most gamers won't give it the time it takes to master the Newton'y of combat.

Over all the game play is great for newcomers to space trading, veterans of X and Eve may feel it's a little shallow, but the combat more than makes up for it. On occasion I find myself landing on a planet during sunset as the sun kisses the ocean, gorgeous and to my knowledge no other game has ever pulled off seamless space to atmosphere transitions. many many hours of fun, but you will need an imagination.
  2. Feb 16, 2012
    Overall a great game if you can get over the fact it cost about 25$. It stands out compared to all of the other games produced currently. It also is one of the few space games you can find. The combat is a little bit difficult to get used to at first but, doesn't ruin the experience of the game itself. The graphics aren't top notch but you don't need amazing graphics as long it doesn't ruin the difficulty of the game itself. The universe in the game is huge with a big map. It needs a big title to help push it along to give it more appeal to others. Evochron Mercenary has great replay value as well. Maybe it is a little pricey but it doesn't have too many flaws. Expand
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    This game offers everything you would imagine from an indie developer. and adding a demo is so much more pleasing as you can test the game to see if you will like it.
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    If you like space trader games like Freelancer, X3, or even EVE... this might be a good game for you. While it may not have the depth of control like X3, it certainly is a bit easier to learn and play... which made it more fun for me. The multiplayer component is what truly helps this game earn a 9, and not just an 8. The available internet servers allow for friends to jump in together using their saved profile from the single player game, so you don't have to worry about managing multiple players. If you prefer to host your own server, you can go ahead and throw one up for your friends to connect using Direct IP. While most might recommend EVE for multiplayer, I'm there to have fun... not worry about how another player's actions might affect me. Combat is fast and very active on the user's part, mining is simple and easy to do to earn some good cash, and the economy of the different star systems is affected by what happens in the world. Overall I find this to be a great game that sits just right when games like X3 appear overly much.. Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2012
    I spent many many hours of game play time on X3 before things started moving along.
    It took lots of reading and learning and many slow hours of going from gate to gates just to get a map of the place. Mercenary is a lot faster to get things moving. Mercenary might seem like the same slow start at first but it is only the beginning few hours that are hard.
    The learning curve may seem a
    little steep at first but when you start to get the hang of things the fun just keeps on building. This game doesn't have the same level of depth as the likes of X3 but it has the fun that I never found in any other space game since Elite back on the Amiga.

Yes the amount of different missions can seem small and they can get repetitive but there a many different ways or techniques to complete missions so even the same missions over again can be very entertaining.
    Mercenary has a lot to offer but a lot of the really nice things don't always become apparent until after a good few hours of play.
    Combat that seems impossible at first becomes gradually easier as you learn different ways to fight and fly.
    There is so much to find, so much to explore, even after weeks I am still learning new things. Having a good multi player universe gives this game a lot of extra life. Player dogfights and battles can be amazingly good fun and the community online is one of the friendliest I have ever seen.

The graphics are not the best by today's standards but they have nice artistic feel to them and frame rates are smooth even on my low/mid spec system.
    There are lots of user mods available to improve the look and being easy to mod it has even inspired me to make some small PIT/HUD mods.
    Basically, to me it is an old school type space game sim with newer-ish graphics and a decent multi-play component.
    It all adds up to loads of fun and many hours of play time that make the price worth ever cent.
  6. May 15, 2012
    A fantastic indie game that gives you the feeling of floating in space, alone in your ship. I think that some of the negative reviews are completely dishonest, which is expected whenever a solid indie title outstrips popular mainstream games. There is indeed a steep learning curve as the tutorial covers the basics and you find yourself dumped into the vast emptiness of space with no idea of what to do next, however the community more than makes up for any shortcomings in that area. A few questions on the forums and most players are up and running in no time at all.

This game is aimed more toward simulation enthusiasts than it is regular gamers. Mainstream gamers tend to struggle with sandbox games having become accustomed to other types of games. While Mercenary does feature a quest, the player is forced to decide their own path in a game that has no ending and no levels. This can easily lead to frustration and boredom.

This game lacks massive multiplayer capability with players being capped at 35 per server. Some have compared it to EVE, however this community lacks the obnoxious persons ( likely due to small numbers) and the combat requires player skill rather than buying the biggest ship and clicking on the enemy but this game also lacks an in depth crafting scheme which EVE possesses. Still, they are different games with different target audiences.

I think players should appreciate that this game was created by a single person, not a small development team and yet this person still actively supports and updates the game and provides timely technical support for his customers. Good luck getting that from EA. I have read reviews speaking of crashes and game breaking bugs, none of which I have ever experienced. It is possible that the initial release on Steam was broken.

While Evochron Mercenary is a demanding game, there is a lot to enjoy about it. It is a vast, ever evolving universe, ripe for exploration and exploit. The nearly seamless transition between single and multiplayer is a unique and welcome feature.
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    An adventure into a harsh universe, full of endless possibilities and ripe with discovery. Chillingly beautiful, extremely immersive. I recommend having a joystick, (Or even better, TWO!) to play. The feeling of piloting your ship is unmatched, the physics simulation is great. I'd summarize this as EVE, but you can fly the ship yourself. (Similar in theory)

This game is worth every
    penny, and the developer (Alias: Vice) is incredibly connected with the community. I just chatted with him over email a few minutes ago, outstanding gentleman. Check it out! Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    It's a sand box space flight free trading simulator like Elite 2 frontier. There is some learning curve at the beginning but it's less difficult than Elite 2. It's a very immersive and organic game as in your **** you can feel the newtonian physics , land on a planet or dock to a station seamlessly. Combat mechanics are the same as I-War 2 and combat is fun. And you got coop multiplayer , pvp. Of course it's a indie game, so graphics are pretty but not on par with a AAA title.

By the way, it's a very different game than X series as it's not oriented strategy. and besides space infrastructures, you can't own a fleet . If you are searching for a much arcadey game like X-Wing, Darkstar one or Black Prophecy, go your way...
  9. May 17, 2012
    < A Game from ONE gamer, for THOUSANDS of gamers >
    I seems like a lot of people don't know that this game doesn't have a million dollar budget. It's made by one guy. And let me tell you that: Whatever he's doing, he puts a lot of thought into it. Considering that this company is a one-man-enterprise makes me overlook the still good, even if not top-notch graphics of the game, or the fact,
    that you might encounter bugs here and there.
    I support Starwraith 3D Games very much, because nowhere else have I seen a company that also takes so much care of its players. In the forum, every suggestion is being considered and thought of to find out whether this idea is worth to be built in the next patch or to be dismissed. All those ideas, thought and all the love for the genre put into this game are making it a great one.

< Okay, but what is so special about Evochron? >
    To start with, the controls with the Newtonian physics are refreshing and challenging, the seamless planetary transition is something I've never seen before in the genre, a dynamic economy makes also trading more challenging, lots of options for customization and so much to do that you sometimes don't know where to start with as well as the already mentioned great customer support. Also there are some other facts like support for Head tracking devices, the small download size and the very good â
  10. Jul 16, 2012
    This game offers a lot more than others can. If you enjoy EA games or generic fps shooters where you just mindless plug and play, you might complain about this game. The game takes some patience to play and enjoy, but once you grasp that, it can be a gem. One of the first things I like about this game is the **** You can exit the **** view if you like. The music is amazing. The game play will be fun if you enjoy being let out on your own to do what you want when you want. You can enjoy progressing your ship and money as far as you want. If you're a console-kid, this game isn't for you. It is more tuned for invested pc gamers that want a flight sim and more realism than a 2 hour video game reminiscent of a michael bay movie. Expand
  11. May 19, 2013
    I’m a massive fan of space-based games and this game has hit the top of my favourite Space games lists because of the following reasons. 1. Completely open-ended the game is what you make of it. 2. Not too simple, not too hard once you get over the learning curve the payoff is a great gaming experience. 3. Multiplayer the other players are very friendly, there’s no trolling and everyone is online to have a good time.

I’ve played many space-sims (EVE, X-series, etc) but this one has held my attention the longest. Also, the game is made by one guy I mean how cool is that. At $25, it's pretty much a steal, especially for the hours of enjoyment you'll get out of it. Just download the demo first to see if it's the kind of game you'd like to play.
  12. Jul 28, 2012
    I recently got this game and I am already in love with it. Sure the tutorial could be overwhelming and the learning curve is steep, but the gameplay is rewarding and so is combat. The controls are a bit weird at first but it is easy to get used to it. I was impressed by the ability for me to be able to land on planets without a loading screen. The modding community is also pretty active and the game is easily moddable, so if you don't like the graphics and HUD then you can easily change it. Expand
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    A very good and immersive space sim. You can trade, fight, explore, upgrade your ship etc. You can dock at space stations and even descend to cities on planets which is great. Graphics and textures are not AAA quality but they are more than adequate. Since purchasing the game the dev has continued to improve the game and release free updates so all in all two big thumbs up.
  14. May 21, 2013
    A real gem of a game, really fantastic and well produced. I didn't experience any of the bugs or crashes that some have had but I'm running the absolute latest version 2.x so maybe they are all fixed now, on Windows 7 64bit with all the settings ramped to max at 1920x1200 on a GTX295.

It's clear the developer really gets the genre and a lot of love has gone into the game. If you loved
    freelancer you'll probably love this game.

That said, there are a couple of legitimate issues such as the second quest mission; the race. It is pretty difficult for a second mission and the opponent's shields seem to push you out the way a lot. You'll probably have to take a few goes at it to get it completed. My advice is to save at the station BEFORE you accept the mission so you can at least start back with fuel etc.

The graphics look pretty nice to me, but as a programmer and game engine author, I can appreciate the beauty in the code that perhaps regular gamers are not so forgiving on. $25 is absolutely NOTHING for this game the dev isn't gonna be a millionaire from it and if you care about supporting creative talent and good gameplay, this is definitely worth buying. If you're looking for a triple-A HD graphics bonanza that doesn't care about the playability or control system at all, buy X3 instead.
  15. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is wonderful! Most of the negative opinion is based on the absence of skills. For example somebody wrote here that if you jump to station you will hit wall. True is you have to know HOW you should jump to do it clean. If you faild with Contract you do not have to pay for gas because you can autodestruct yourself and go back to save (which you have done before start contract). Play ~30h and you will fall in love with this game. Greetings. Expand
  16. Dec 14, 2013
    Amazing game, never before have I felt complete freedom like playing this. It's basically like Eve Online, with less focus on economy and more on piloting/physics. Definitely play on a multiplayer server, but your player updates in both single and multiplayer so you can switch between the two seamlessly without losing progress. A TON of hidden things to find in this game, including (if you're clever) our own solar system Sol, where you can land on or fly into the familiar 8 planets (and pluto!).

Absolutely a must have game.
  17. Jan 14, 2014
    This game will not suit everybody. But if, like me, you've been waiting and dreaming for a near-perfect, sandbox space sim, then Evochron Mercenary should satisfy you! With no loading screens and a completely open universe, you can literally sweep through some planetary rings and harvest water, dock at the nearby station and sell it -- and then fly down to the planet, harvest some materials while you go, switch over to your Terrain Walker (like a 'mech) and walk over the surface of the planet to collect a cargo crate from an ancient, wrecked spaceship, then dock at one of the planet's cities to trade and refuel. You can do all this with no loading screens or stop to the gameplay. Very impressive for a game made by 1 man!

It's not perfect -- the planets, although generated nicely, lack detail (no forests, for example). The combat is hard at first (although this isn't a bad thing). But really, the game is a lot of fun. I believe you can even get a demo which restricts you to the first star system, so you can try the game out before you buy it! Fantastic. It's available on Steam, as well as direct from the programmer (Starwraith 3D Games I think).

I have already had 20 hours of fun in the last 4 days just having new experiences - fighting to land on a stormy planet with rain, wind and lightning; drifting (with newtonian physics) through an asteroid field which is inside a haunting purple nebula; skimming over the upper layers of a gas giant; dog fighting pirates; making the first of many millions of credits; and enjoying the scenery of the different systems as I explore, seek out trade routes and upgrade my ship -- this game has a lot more gameplay than you would think. Recomended!
  18. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    I would give a 10, considering this is an one-man-project, but then again I give a 9 exactly because this is an one-man-project and I want this guy to keep working on it (and he does).
    The game improves constantly, Vice listens to his fan base (heck even ASKS his fan base), quite a contrast from other "major" space title ahem, X:R, ahem...
    If you check the game's site, you'll will find a
    huge list of features. The funny thing is that those features are INDEED there and INDEED work. Yes some are "average", but still a basis to improve.
    In a poorly represented (these days) genre and waiting for big names like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen (and others), this is a must have and actually a bargain.

1. Jul 12, 2012
    A slow-burning but compelling universe in which to indulge your trading, mining and mercenary fantasies. [Sept 2012, p.74]
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    Life in space is probably not easy, so it's no surprise that there is a distinctly tough learning curve in Evochron Mercenary. Those with enough interest and diligence to stick with it, though, will be rewarded with deep, unfettered space sandbox game play.
  3. Feb 9, 2012