6.6

1. Apr 5, 2013
    Please understand me: There is no game here. There are no goals or adversity. There is absolutely no story and no message--that is unless the story is that the author has played a few RPGs over the years and he also remembers some of the mechanics from those games. The experience can be described as "walk a little and then we mention something RPGs used to have". Evoland fails to deliver, or even propose, as much as a single aesthetic other than this.

What's more is that the creators of Evoland have managed to reference this list of RPG mechanics and then fully divorce them from the reason we played the games that originally used them. Sure, these mechanics were present In the original works that inspired Evoland. However, in those works, we had a reason to fight the random battles, we had a reason to pick up the first sword, we had a reason to visit a village. In Evoland, these mechanics serve no purpose other than for the sake of listing them.

A lot of game makers have made the mistake of analyzing a successful game and concluding that the game's success is only due to the mechanics that make up the game. When a game maker tries to follow a "formula" in this manner but also fails to adequately serve any aesthetic, then you have a guaranteed bad game because the audience will not have a reason to engage in any of those mechanics. I thought since Evoland was supposed to be a nod to the history of RPG mechanics, that it would naturally avoid this pitfall by using those mechanics as a means to remind us why we played those old RPGs in the first place. Sadly, it's just a rote list of disembodied RPG mechanics.
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    Can't recommend this game. It's crap. Don't buy it.

It got no depth, few options, few enemies/attacks, the rules are inconsistent, the world is small (maybe a good thing) and the difficulty are random. Sometimes cakewalk, sometimes impossible deathtrap. I love Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mario and Diablo and this is pissing on them to earn a few dollars from sentimental players. Also: looks
    bland, sounds bland, got no character. Makes me see some un-skippable cut-scene over and over again because badly designed boss fight. Lousy controls...

Pros: You can get the Bustersword and the (one) summon you can get is fun (once)
  3. Apr 8, 2013
    Personally... I'd rather just play some older game for nostalgia. I won't go on about how the gameplay wasn't fun for me at all, because the actual games they wanted us to remember were better.
  4. Apr 16, 2013
    Terribly unbalanced. What started out as a fairly easy, fun and creative game, gradually descended into a mess of button mashing and frustration. The concepts are very fun, but the implementation suffers in the long run. The world map suffers from random battles that are way too frequent and take way too long when considering that they offer little in the way of strategy or creativity. The game then comes to a point where there are literally hundreds of enemies in one area. this would not be nearly so bad if there was some skill involved in beating them or if the game did not suffer from slowdown due to badly programmed lighting. (seriously, I can play portal 2 just fine on my system). Also, there really needs to be some thought put into what happens when the player dies. it is not fun to be respawned into the level and have a mob of 50 monsters surround you so you lose half your life trying to get them off you. I consider this to be an alpha beta quality game. I am sorely disappointed at having spent money on it. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2013
    Not so much a game as a series of jokes and observations about the genre. There are a few "gamey" elements, such as the occasional boss battle, and the card mini-game, but even those are quite shallow and require very little thought or skill. Even so, there are times when you have to grind pointless trash fights to get all of the achievements; this is made all the more tiresome because for the most part there is absolutely no chance of failure unless you are just really, really incompetent. On top of all that, it's pretty darned short (which in retrospect may be a blessing). You can tell the creators put some thought and effort into it sadly, it turns out they are clearly game FANS, not game designers. I bought this while it was on sale for 10 percent off, and I still feel like I paid way too much for it. Expand
  6. May 12, 2013
    Horrible game really, if you are under 21 or so and do not remember all the flaws and how terrible and annoying the game play of early 90s- late 90s rpgs could be, then give it a shot just to see how good you have it, and be thankful you dont have to play garbage like this. If you do remember those games, well, thats what it is, that annoying as hell pop-up battle crap, can only move 4 directions etc etc, everything i hated about those games. Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    This feels like it was more of an interactive report on the history of video game rpgs rather than an actual game. There is so much wasted potential in the concept, Too bad they had to turn it into a 2 hour long tutorial stage with no game.

Also $10 is crazy high for this game.
  8. Dec 23, 2013
    There was I having fun with all the graphical upgrades when finally got into the story (can i even call it story?) when suddenly the game's finished in less than 3 hours where at least 2h is finding treasures that upgrade the graphics, sounds and gives access to basic things such as the menu, even tho i bought it at 75% off the base value is a ripoff for a game, (i mean demo) with this duration.

It's ridiculous how someone charges 10€ for such basic game (i mean demo) and where most of the names are pretty much taken from other games and even movies with just a letter change (such as Noria Mines, which is Moria from Lord of the Rings) and then worst, the duration of the game is pathetic at best and to think i was kinda hyped when i got the game (i mean demo).

Basically i feel like this is a "tech" demo for a great potential game, turns out the author just threw the demo at us and that's it.

If i want nostalgia there's plenty of games i can play (i can go play Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Pokemon and so many others) with at least 50+ hours of duration each, and that's just doing the main story and some exploration for better gear).

Overall i do NOT recommend buying this game (i mean demo) unless you pay 2.5 for it instead of the base 10.
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    Do not buy this game, its nothing more than a Frankenstein of references to older games. There is little to no strategy involved in playing the game, most of the time you're just walking around talking to a person who will ask you to talk to another person.

The game is short, the challenges are so bland, a five year old can complete the game, and you couldn't even call the story-line a
    real story.

save your money, buy something else.
  10. Sep 2, 2013
    I understand Evoland is supposed to just be a simple homage to older games such as zelda and final fantasy but Evoland itself is an unbearably frustrating and bland experience which barely re-sparked my love for the older titles. Evoland is not enjoyable. The few times you get a sense nostalgia for your childhood games it is often quickly squashed out by Evoland's over simplicity and frustrating mechanics. Expand
  11. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The idea behind this game is solid and seems fun, but the execution was lacking. The game is short, I beat it in one sitting, but even at only 2-3 hours it dragged. The game continually upgrades into different types and styles of varying classic rpgs, but for some reason it can't decide on the overworld and in dungeon style to stay with. HP and XP Final Fantasy style in the overworld, diablo style fighting without leveling in dungeons. I wanted more story, more towns, more shops, more upgrades, more consistency. It's as if the devs grew tired of the concept and cut it short with their half assed ending.

I bought this at full price because my interest was piqued when I heard about it. It wasn't worth half.

Hopefully somebody else takes the idea and runs with it.
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    It really could have been great, but it isn't.

First, it's very poorly coded. Want to see if you can beat the game without autoscrolling? Well, hope you like guessing where your character is, since he'll be spending much of his time off camera wandering around trying to trigger the invisible scroll points. Don't pick up mode-7 either, since without auto-scrolling, it make all graphics
    in the overworld completely misaligned. On the plus side though, you can move while doing the "got item" animation after opening a treasure chest, which isn't possible with autoscrolling. A good coder assumes all possibilities and accounts for them when making a game. Obviously, they assumed every player would play the same way they did and didn't bother to test the alternatives. To put a little icing on the cake, there's plenty of typos too. It's almost like there wasn't any QA at all.

Second, even if the game was great, it's like a demo version of the games it's trying to pay homage to. It reminds me of FF, A link to the Past, and Illusion of Gaia, but what made those games memorable wasn't their turn-based combat or use of mode-7, but their combination of engaging (well-coded) gameplay, deep storylines, and memorable characters. Lacking any real storyline or characters, and only offering a thin imitation of the gameplay, Evoland doesn't come close to having the same effect those games did.

If it was a free flash game, the quality and shallowness would be a lot more fitting, almost endearing. But since it's the same price as considerably better made and more thought out games, it's practically a scam.
  13. Apr 8, 2014
    I have a problem with this game - it is constantly reminding me that it is a game. Throughout play, the game 'evolves' the technical and play mechanics. It is this persistent reminder, and the jokes the game makes at its own expense, that irk me, jar me out of the experience and sometimes confuse the issue of what the goals are during play. Am I seeking the next chest to unlock a new mechanic?

Because it was reminding me it's a game, I continued noting the evolution of play and spoting inconsistencies as things updated. The game can't help but do this. And after awhile, I began to miss playing Zelda because Evoland might as well have said, "Hey, I'm not Zelda, but this is sort of how that game works and we are imitating something already created." In fact, I stopped playing and turned on that great NES classic.

Buy this if you're curious but wait for it to go on sale. Evoland is not a game that seems to want to stand on its own merit except for novelty.

1. Jun 13, 2013
    Evoland is a frustrating affair. Its premise is great and it has potential to spare, but instead of an inspired retro journey all you get is a combination of lazy jokes, bland Zelda-esque gameplay and numbingly tedious JRPG battles. [June 2013]
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    As an introduction to old-school classics, Evoland is just too boring, and most veterans are not that nostalgic to blindly forgive its shoddy attempts at game design.
    The old-school approach of the gameplay is not that fresh anymore and the steep price cannot justify the overpriced sentimentality. [May 2013]