6.6

1. KST
    Apr 16, 2013
    It's a short but wonderful game which offers a lot of nostalgia feeling for gamers who played during the 80 's and 90 's. You will find yourself smiling quite often if you know the rpg classics. But don't expect a story, complex game mechanics or any replay value.

If you think that 3-4 hours of fun are worth 10 bucks, go ahead and buy it. If you don't want to spend that much money, pick it up on the next steam sales.
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a really interesting game that tells a story about the clichés of gaming. It's like an RPG, but instead of upgrading your character, you upgrade the game itself. For instance, you might unlock "256 bit color" as opposed to 16 bit, or "free roaming" as opposed to moving along a grid. Some areas even allow you to cycle from modern graphics/mechanics to older ones, allowing you toThis is a really interesting game that tells a story about the clichés of gaming. It's like an RPG, but instead of upgrading your character, you upgrade the game itself. For instance, you might unlock "256 bit color" as opposed to 16 bit, or "free roaming" as opposed to moving along a grid. Some areas even allow you to cycle from modern graphics/mechanics to older ones, allowing you to bypass some limitations introduced in more modern games. This makes for a very interesting and enjoyable way to solve puzzles.

You progressively move from a sidescroller to a game like Torchlight or Diablo, without lingering on one particular thing; except for random-encounters. Random-encounters appear literally every few seconds in specific portions (mainly fast-travel) of the game-- and it's terribly boring. The whole point of the game is to continue moving from one thing to another, except for some odd reason they decided to keep those through the entire game. Now, sometimes they're fun, but the main character only has one attack for the better part of the game. This really discourages exploration-- and it takes a lot of time, mainly because you are granted a mini-map very late in the game. (It's sometimes hard to find where you need to go with random-encounters interrupting you every few seconds.)

That aside, it's honestly a refreshing experience to see all the generations of gaming packed into one 3.5 hour game. The gameplay mimics the gameplay of the generation you are currently dwelling in, and it does it very well. It seems like a lot of time was put into Evoland, everything was polished well to fit with the various themes.

I think this game is worth it at full price for some people, but also would not be enjoyed by others. I certainly enjoyed it, and if anything I've said sounds interesting, I recommend that you give it a try.
  3. May 7, 2013
    This is clearly an unfinished game that got rushed to release. The developer had a good idea but really didn't execute well. The beginning was very novel and cool with the "evolution" of the game, but these neat mechanics are introduced so rapidly that the game very quickly runs out of tricks and what's left isn't good. Anyone who has given this a high score has overlooked or not evenThis is clearly an unfinished game that got rushed to release. The developer had a good idea but really didn't execute well. The beginning was very novel and cool with the "evolution" of the game, but these neat mechanics are introduced so rapidly that the game very quickly runs out of tricks and what's left isn't good. Anyone who has given this a high score has overlooked or not even played the second half. Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    Maybe because I've been playing video games as long as they've been around, I loved the concept behind Evoland. All of the nods to important games of the past are what I enjoyed most, which with seeing the world evolve, makes the total of the games strength. It's not deep or exciting, just a romp through the past, which may have more appeal for older gamers like myself. I enjoyed it forMaybe because I've been playing video games as long as they've been around, I loved the concept behind Evoland. All of the nods to important games of the past are what I enjoyed most, which with seeing the world evolve, makes the total of the games strength. It's not deep or exciting, just a romp through the past, which may have more appeal for older gamers like myself. I enjoyed it for what it is, a scrapbook of RPG history. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    Evoland is a game that achieves most of what it sets out to do, -just-. Slapstick comedy and reference to the past 30 years of RPG history squeezed into a very short space. good visuals and a strong sense of accomplishment early game sadly die out all too soon thanks to a poor meld of plot and challenge. The unfortunate reality here is with a little more thought to the storyline and a moreEvoland is a game that achieves most of what it sets out to do, -just-. Slapstick comedy and reference to the past 30 years of RPG history squeezed into a very short space. good visuals and a strong sense of accomplishment early game sadly die out all too soon thanks to a poor meld of plot and challenge. The unfortunate reality here is with a little more thought to the storyline and a more gradual and deliberate flow of challenges throughout, Evoland could have been a great little laugh while at the same time putting that nostalgic smile on your face. Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    This game is short, at three hours. In the first hour or two of the game, it is fairly enjoyable. The difficulty is not unreasonable, although the gameplay isn't very varied either, so isn't deep. The final hour on the other hand is a perfect demonstration of why these types of games are no longer popular and are relegated to nostalgic memories. As the difficulty ramps up you have to hopeThis game is short, at three hours. In the first hour or two of the game, it is fairly enjoyable. The difficulty is not unreasonable, although the gameplay isn't very varied either, so isn't deep. The final hour on the other hand is a perfect demonstration of why these types of games are no longer popular and are relegated to nostalgic memories. As the difficulty ramps up you have to hope for the best that spamming the attack button will save you, and in the case of the final two bosses, of the first you must exploit the terrain if you want a real chance of winning, and for the final boss they have implemented a typical early-2000s timing attack boss with a doughnut shaped platform. This is an exercise in frustration and taints the rest of the relatively easy, nostalgia filled, game.

I went into the game wondering why the reviews were generally negative, and while the game was still constantly rewarding me with upgrades to the engine, and being genuinely fun, I still considered it good, but by the end it was clear the designer does not know the difference between difficulty and frustrating situations.

Before the frustrating parts of the game settled in, I had another major problem; the designer was trying too hard to be funny. It came off as trite and bland, and constant attempts to parody the genre (and Final Fantasy in particular) were forced, unfunny and broke the sense of nostalgic immersion I was experiencing. This game would have worked better as a simple, easy, nostalgia fueled game that had references, but not parodies, to other games in the genre.

I would not recommend this to anyone who didn't experience the first generations of action/adventure/RPG games, pre-2005, because if you didn't, you probably won't find this game fun at all, and I instead recommend you play games that actually came out pre-2005 to experience them first hand. This game does not do them justice.
  7. Jun 5, 2014
    Definitely a joyful travel through time! Though it's not as long as usual RPG's are, and replayability is highly questionable; it's still a lovely adventure and presentation of the evolution of RPG genre. If you think it's overpriced, you can still get it on sale and think of it as an interactive RPG documentary to avoid disappointment. Though, I believe, it's more than that.
  8. Apr 12, 2013
    Evoland is the sort of game that's becoming increasingly common in the market today, a game that's adheres to strict genre conventions, but does so in a way that is so overtly self-aware that it attempts to transcend its seeming banality Conceptually, Evoland is interesting. A game which evolves technologically throughout the course of gameplay, advancing from a top-down monochromeEvoland is the sort of game that's becoming increasingly common in the market today, a game that's adheres to strict genre conventions, but does so in a way that is so overtly self-aware that it attempts to transcend its seeming banality Conceptually, Evoland is interesting. A game which evolves technologically throughout the course of gameplay, advancing from a top-down monochrome adventure to full-color 3D. The goal is to act as something of a gaming history lesson, while deriving enjoyment from the act of calling out conventions of gaming that have evolved over the years.

While the concept is interesting, the execution is somewhat flawed. The pacing of "upgrades" feels stilted. In the first five minutes of play you progress from monochrome to 8-bit to 16-bit color, but the latter half of the game features almost no evolution at all. The transition to 3D is similarly flawed, moving from solid colored polygons to high-rez textures in the course of a single level. For a game built around evolution, these transitions should be metered more thoughtfully.

Speaking of evolution, the treatment of upgrades is woefully inconsistent. One of the potential joys of this game would be exploring the changes to previously visited locations with new technology. But if you attempt to see the first village after earning 3D graphics, you will be kicked back to the 16-bit era with little fanfare. The only area that you really get to enjoy at multiple levels of technology is the starting one, and that's more than a little disappointing.

As stated earlier, the rate of tech enhancements tails off about halfway through the game. At this point, the focus turns to completing the storyline, solving puzzles, and collecting all the little doodads hidden around the map. The storyline and gameplay are both purposefully generic, meant to highlight silly tropes in the medium and heavily reference memorable/frustrating events from Final Fantasy and Zelda. This is all well and good, since the game itself is merely a vehicle for the commentary provided by the evolution jumps. But since the evolution gives out at around the halfway point, the rest of the game is laid bare in a way it can't really handle. As a result, despite how short the game is, it really starts to drag by the end. A few more evolutionary advances (for example, "limit breaks" that lets you bypass combat encounters quickly), would have fixed both issues.

The collectibles are similarly problematic. They are meant to reference the myriad of collectible items in adventure games, but don't seem to fit in well enough. There was a lot of promise for these little collectibles. They should have provided optional evolutions, becoming references worth hunting down. Instead, they just collect in your inventory and move you towards 100% and nag at your inner completionist. Do yourself a favor and ignore them. You aren't missing anything.

Ultimately, Evoland is an acceptable game, but one that fails to deliver its initial promise because of minor missteps in execution. Purchase this game if you see it on sale for less than $5, and attempt to complete it without wasting too much time chasing unrewarding side objectives. This mode of play will give you the most enjoyable experience that Evoland has to offer.
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Controls are awkward there are a few other thing which bug/annoy me as well. However, overall it is a great idea. You are not just developing your character and progressing through the story you are also progressing through the develop of the genre which i find really enjoyable.
  10. Apr 15, 2013
    Evoland is a great little game that takes us through the history of the most successful japanese style RPGs and platforms at the same time. I t starts with a gameboy-like image of a typical blocky character in well know 8 shades of greyish yellow and leads us further and further up the road to a N64-like 3D character in quest of chest that, instead of enhancing your firepower and armorEvoland is a great little game that takes us through the history of the most successful japanese style RPGs and platforms at the same time. I t starts with a gameboy-like image of a typical blocky character in well know 8 shades of greyish yellow and leads us further and further up the road to a N64-like 3D character in quest of chest that, instead of enhancing your firepower and armor classes, rather enhance the gameworld from 8-bit retro to 64 bit advanced, uncluding shaders, colors, music and general gameplay. It also includes a fun minigame where you have to achieve a pretty challenging cardgame.

The game in itself is a real pleasure to play. The overall design is extremely well done, the music is enjoyable and there is, of course, a pretty big portion of humor around every corner. My only real gripe is that it didn't last very long. Actually, it was finished in about 3 hours and I felt that the pretty vast gameworld in which the game took place could easily have contained a couple of additional quests. In the end, despite all the fun and the enchantment over the beauty of the design, I felt a bit like I had been rushed through a world and a concept that could easily have offered a lot more. I sincerely do hope that the developers will come up with a significantly larger version of the game.
    I also feel that the game was a little bit overpriced for what it offered, although I understand that most work has probably gone into the different designs and time layers and that, thus, the developers probably feel that around 10$ is cheap enough, they should not forget that a player measures a game's worth in totally different units.

Please give us Evoland 2, Evoland Forever, Evoland Infinite... Whatever! Just make it BIG!!!
  11. Jan 19, 2014
    There is no reason to call this anything other than a mediocre game. The first hour is fun as you go about collecting the powerups that create the 3D RPG world as we know it, but beyond that, the last two hours are all drudgery. Near the end, certain RPG tripes are introduced that are interesting (e.g. a quest based around talking to villagers, a Diablo-esque mission, and an interestingThere is no reason to call this anything other than a mediocre game. The first hour is fun as you go about collecting the powerups that create the 3D RPG world as we know it, but beyond that, the last two hours are all drudgery. Near the end, certain RPG tripes are introduced that are interesting (e.g. a quest based around talking to villagers, a Diablo-esque mission, and an interesting final boss battle), but everything leading up to that point is mostly worthless. I was mostly disappointed in the number of encounters that you face on the world map. I honestly couldn't walk on the world map for more than 4 seconds without an encounter. It was very annoying traveling between locations knowing that it would take 5-10 minutes longer than I want because of the random encounters. Your character can level up through these battles, but there's no reason to- all you gain is a bit more life. All the enemies are either killed in one hit, two hits, or more- leveling up doesn't change that.

Luckily, I got this game for cheap so I got enough satisfaction from it from the actual evolution stages of the game, but I guarantee that I'll never play the game again or recommend it to friends.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Evoland is simply too short and unfulfilling, even if it does have a unique mechanic in upgrading its own visuals. Simple allusions to previous high-selling RPGs don't help either. It makes it all the more obvious how shallow this game really is.
  13. Sep 1, 2013
    The game has a good sense of humor, but sometimes faithfulness to the old way of doing things stops being fun. Example: random battles every 5 seconds get tedious. You have unlimited healing, which in one way makes them less irritating, but in another way makes them even more pointless.
    I don't know if this was specific to my computer, but there was a point (the cave where you get the second half of the amulet) when my frame rate fell through the floor and the game became unplayable. This game's nostalgic graphics really shouldn't be causing that to happen. What I could see of the gameplay at 1 FPS made it look like it would be frustrating anyway.
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is actually really good, even though it is a bit short, it starts combining simple things that make an rpg fun and makes it fun to unlock. The turn based battling like FF isn't that deep, but it's still something interesting and fun, and it would be great if the developer could further develop this game. The legend of zelda style puzzles and gameplay is also quite fun. Two wordsThis game is actually really good, even though it is a bit short, it starts combining simple things that make an rpg fun and makes it fun to unlock. The turn based battling like FF isn't that deep, but it's still something interesting and fun, and it would be great if the developer could further develop this game. The legend of zelda style puzzles and gameplay is also quite fun. Two words = TOO.SHORT.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Story: 6/10
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 5/10
    Overall: 7/10
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    Great cheap game. Short, but bring lots of fun, showing us a mini-history of rpg games. This is a casual game, don't expect hours and hours of intense complicated gameplay. This game is good for its simplicity.
  16. Jan 6, 2014
    This is not a bad indie game if you buy it during the steam sale. An interesting mix between Zelda and Final Fantasy.

Lots of fun during the first half of the game when you open chests that are evolving the world around you. The problem is the second half of the game when the game loses his main idea (evolution of the world) and tries to be just a classic RPG. The hitbox of the two hands of the final boss is bad.
  17. Aug 29, 2014
    Good idea, and a very nice execution.
    I think that whoever gives a negative review to the game tries to review it as a game of its own, and that's not entirely correct, in my opinion.
    Yes, as a game of it's own, this game is average at best and I'd give it maybe 4.510 or something like that. Its own graphics aren't spectacular, its own soundtrack is kinda dull, the story is a pretty
    Good idea, and a very nice execution.
    Its own graphics aren't spectacular, its own soundtrack is kinda dull, the story is a pretty lame save-the-town-from-evil kind of thing.

And maybe I've got it all wrong, but I don't think that in any way this game tries to be any good on its own.
    The idea here is to bring the evolution of video games in one product, with great emphasis on the RPG genre. And that it does well, in my opinion, and I don't remember any other game doing that as good as Evoland does, I don't remember any developer even trying out this idea, which is actually a pretty good and interesting one!

I really enjoyed this game, and really enjoyed seeing the old good 2D 2-colors graphics turning gradually into a nicely done 3D HD manymany-colors graphics.

It's a short experience, but that's the way it should be, and it costs accordingly (10 bucks is alright for this).

Also, you'll probably enjoy the game more if you're familiar with the old-classic RPG's because this game has many specific references.

One thing that annoyed me, to make the game more interesting the developers added achievements. They're pretty cool actually, and added a lot to the game, and I even wanted to complete them all. That's until I realized you don't really have any way to track your progress...UNLESS you own Evoland on Steam. Because Steam has an achievements system. The game itself, doesn't. So, if you're like me, and bought the game on GOG, and wish to track your achievements, you can only do so by manually check the list on Steam, or simply purchasing the game again on Steam.
    Does it worth it? naaah. It's a shame there's no achievements tracking in the game!

All in all, the game is nice for a one-time playthrough. Give it a try if you're familiar with the old time of video gaming.
  18. Jul 18, 2013

1. Jun 13, 2013
    Evoland is a frustrating affair. Its premise is great and it has potential to spare, but instead of an inspired retro journey all you get is a combination of lazy jokes, bland Zelda-esque gameplay and numbingly tedious JRPG battles. [June 2013]
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    As an introduction to old-school classics, Evoland is just too boring, and most veterans are not that nostalgic to blindly forgive its shoddy attempts at game design.
    The old-school approach of the gameplay is not that fresh anymore and the steep price cannot justify the overpriced sentimentality. [May 2013]