6.6

1. Apr 5, 2013
    Please understand me: There is no game here. There are no goals or adversity. There is absolutely no story and no message--that is unless the story is that the author has played a few RPGs over the years and he also remembers some of the mechanics from those games. The experience can be described as "walk a little and then we mention something RPGs used to have". Evoland fails to deliver, or even propose, as much as a single aesthetic other than this.

What's more is that the creators of Evoland have managed to reference this list of RPG mechanics and then fully divorce them from the reason we played the games that originally used them. Sure, these mechanics were present In the original works that inspired Evoland. However, in those works, we had a reason to fight the random battles, we had a reason to pick up the first sword, we had a reason to visit a village. In Evoland, these mechanics serve no purpose other than for the sake of listing them.

A lot of game makers have made the mistake of analyzing a successful game and concluding that the game's success is only due to the mechanics that make up the game. When a game maker tries to follow a "formula" in this manner but also fails to adequately serve any aesthetic, then you have a guaranteed bad game because the audience will not have a reason to engage in any of those mechanics. I thought since Evoland was supposed to be a nod to the history of RPG mechanics, that it would naturally avoid this pitfall by using those mechanics as a means to remind us why we played those old RPGs in the first place. Sadly, it's just a rote list of disembodied RPG mechanics.
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    My childhood is back, I can't remember the last time I felt so good playing a game. Every treasure I discover a nostalgic smile appears on my face. This is the dumbest review I could write, but I think that someone else can understand what I mean.
  3. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow! I didn't expect this game could be so good. Great ideas, perfect solutions, very innovation gameplay.

History of jRPG from NES/GBC to PS2 very ironic, but sentimental and charming.

Only problem in this game is short lenght.

First 8 min on YT:
    youtube.com/watch?v=lTQYXYX7_RM
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    Can't recommend this game. It's crap. Don't buy it.

It got no depth, few options, few enemies/attacks, the rules are inconsistent, the world is small (maybe a good thing) and the difficulty are random. Sometimes cakewalk, sometimes impossible deathtrap. I love Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mario and Diablo and this is pissing on them to earn a few dollars from sentimental players. Also: looks
    bland, sounds bland, got no character. Makes me see some un-skippable cut-scene over and over again because badly designed boss fight. Lousy controls...

Pros: You can get the Bustersword and the (one) summon you can get is fun (once)
  5. Apr 12, 2013
    Evoland is the sort of game that's becoming increasingly common in the market today, a game that's adheres to strict genre conventions, but does so in a way that is so overtly self-aware that it attempts to transcend its seeming banality Conceptually, Evoland is interesting. A game which evolves technologically throughout the course of gameplay, advancing from a top-down monochrome adventure to full-color 3D. The goal is to act as something of a gaming history lesson, while deriving enjoyment from the act of calling out conventions of gaming that have evolved over the years.

While the concept is interesting, the execution is somewhat flawed. The pacing of "upgrades" feels stilted. In the first five minutes of play you progress from monochrome to 8-bit to 16-bit color, but the latter half of the game features almost no evolution at all. The transition to 3D is similarly flawed, moving from solid colored polygons to high-rez textures in the course of a single level. For a game built around evolution, these transitions should be metered more thoughtfully.

Speaking of evolution, the treatment of upgrades is woefully inconsistent. One of the potential joys of this game would be exploring the changes to previously visited locations with new technology. But if you attempt to see the first village after earning 3D graphics, you will be kicked back to the 16-bit era with little fanfare. The only area that you really get to enjoy at multiple levels of technology is the starting one, and that's more than a little disappointing.

As stated earlier, the rate of tech enhancements tails off about halfway through the game. At this point, the focus turns to completing the storyline, solving puzzles, and collecting all the little doodads hidden around the map. The storyline and gameplay are both purposefully generic, meant to highlight silly tropes in the medium and heavily reference memorable/frustrating events from Final Fantasy and Zelda. This is all well and good, since the game itself is merely a vehicle for the commentary provided by the evolution jumps. But since the evolution gives out at around the halfway point, the rest of the game is laid bare in a way it can't really handle. As a result, despite how short the game is, it really starts to drag by the end. A few more evolutionary advances (for example, "limit breaks" that lets you bypass combat encounters quickly), would have fixed both issues.

The collectibles are similarly problematic. They are meant to reference the myriad of collectible items in adventure games, but don't seem to fit in well enough. There was a lot of promise for these little collectibles. They should have provided optional evolutions, becoming references worth hunting down. Instead, they just collect in your inventory and move you towards 100% and nag at your inner completionist. Do yourself a favor and ignore them. You aren't missing anything.

Ultimately, Evoland is an acceptable game, but one that fails to deliver its initial promise because of minor missteps in execution. Purchase this game if you see it on sale for less than $5, and attempt to complete it without wasting too much time chasing unrewarding side objectives. This mode of play will give you the most enjoyable experience that Evoland has to offer.
  6. Apr 8, 2013
    Personally... I'd rather just play some older game for nostalgia. I won't go on about how the gameplay wasn't fun for me at all, because the actual games they wanted us to remember were better.
  7. KST
    Apr 16, 2013
    It's a short but wonderful game which offers a lot of nostalgia feeling for gamers who played during the 80 's and 90 's. You will find yourself smiling quite often if you know the rpg classics. But don't expect a story, complex game mechanics or any replay value.

If you think that 3-4 hours of fun are worth 10 bucks, go ahead and buy it. If you don't want to spend that much money,
    pick it up on the next steam sales. Expand
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    I thought evoland was really fun, and the different stages of evolution was really cool. Some parts really felt like Legend of Zelda, especially the puzzles.
  9. Apr 16, 2013
    Terribly unbalanced. What started out as a fairly easy, fun and creative game, gradually descended into a mess of button mashing and frustration. The concepts are very fun, but the implementation suffers in the long run. The world map suffers from random battles that are way too frequent and take way too long when considering that they offer little in the way of strategy or creativity. The game then comes to a point where there are literally hundreds of enemies in one area. this would not be nearly so bad if there was some skill involved in beating them or if the game did not suffer from slowdown due to badly programmed lighting. (seriously, I can play portal 2 just fine on my system). Also, there really needs to be some thought put into what happens when the player dies. it is not fun to be respawned into the level and have a mob of 50 monsters surround you so you lose half your life trying to get them off you. I consider this to be an alpha beta quality game. I am sorely disappointed at having spent money on it. Expand
  10. Apr 9, 2013
    Controls are awkward there are a few other thing which bug/annoy me as well. However, overall it is a great idea. You are not just developing your character and progressing through the story you are also progressing through the develop of the genre which i find really enjoyable.
  11. Apr 6, 2013
    Ignore the people who would give a game a 0 because the story is poor and the developers didn't get controller support working in a Flash-based game. This is a game designed to appeal to a niche of gamers who grew up in the 80s and 90s; everyone else probably won't like it because they won't get it. I really enjoyed the game, especially the first 15 minutes going from black and white to 16 bit, because it felt like I was going through my childhood. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2013
    Not so much a game as a series of jokes and observations about the genre. There are a few "gamey" elements, such as the occasional boss battle, and the card mini-game, but even those are quite shallow and require very little thought or skill. Even so, there are times when you have to grind pointless trash fights to get all of the achievements; this is made all the more tiresome because for the most part there is absolutely no chance of failure unless you are just really, really incompetent. On top of all that, it's pretty darned short (which in retrospect may be a blessing). You can tell the creators put some thought and effort into it sadly, it turns out they are clearly game FANS, not game designers. I bought this while it was on sale for 10 percent off, and I still feel like I paid way too much for it. Expand
  13. Apr 12, 2013
    K think about it, 10 bucks and its a pretty nostalgic filled game with some pretty fun moments. Buy it super cheap play for a couple hours and have a great time.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a really interesting game that tells a story about the clichés of gaming. It's like an RPG, but instead of upgrading your character, you upgrade the game itself. For instance, you might unlock "256 bit color" as opposed to 16 bit, or "free roaming" as opposed to moving along a grid. Some areas even allow you to cycle from modern graphics/mechanics to older ones, allowing you to bypass some limitations introduced in more modern games. This makes for a very interesting and enjoyable way to solve puzzles.

You progressively move from a sidescroller to a game like Torchlight or Diablo, without lingering on one particular thing; except for random-encounters. Random-encounters appear literally every few seconds in specific portions (mainly fast-travel) of the game-- and it's terribly boring. The whole point of the game is to continue moving from one thing to another, except for some odd reason they decided to keep those through the entire game. Now, sometimes they're fun, but the main character only has one attack for the better part of the game. This really discourages exploration-- and it takes a lot of time, mainly because you are granted a mini-map very late in the game. (It's sometimes hard to find where you need to go with random-encounters interrupting you every few seconds.)

That aside, it's honestly a refreshing experience to see all the generations of gaming packed into one 3.5 hour game. The gameplay mimics the gameplay of the generation you are currently dwelling in, and it does it very well. It seems like a lot of time was put into Evoland, everything was polished well to fit with the various themes.

I think this game is worth it at full price for some people, but also would not be enjoyed by others. I certainly enjoyed it, and if anything I've said sounds interesting, I recommend that you give it a try.
  15. May 7, 2013
    This is clearly an unfinished game that got rushed to release. The developer had a good idea but really didn't execute well. The beginning was very novel and cool with the "evolution" of the game, but these neat mechanics are introduced so rapidly that the game very quickly runs out of tricks and what's left isn't good. Anyone who has given this a high score has overlooked or not even played the second half. Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    Maybe because I've been playing video games as long as they've been around, I loved the concept behind Evoland. All of the nods to important games of the past are what I enjoyed most, which with seeing the world evolve, makes the total of the games strength. It's not deep or exciting, just a romp through the past, which may have more appeal for older gamers like myself. I enjoyed it for what it is, a scrapbook of RPG history. Expand
  17. May 12, 2013
    Horrible game really, if you are under 21 or so and do not remember all the flaws and how terrible and annoying the game play of early 90s- late 90s rpgs could be, then give it a shot just to see how good you have it, and be thankful you dont have to play garbage like this. If you do remember those games, well, thats what it is, that annoying as hell pop-up battle crap, can only move 4 directions etc etc, everything i hated about those games. Expand
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    This feels like it was more of an interactive report on the history of video game rpgs rather than an actual game. There is so much wasted potential in the concept, Too bad they had to turn it into a 2 hour long tutorial stage with no game.

Also $10 is crazy high for this game.
  19. Jul 18, 2013
    This game is short, at three hours. In the first hour or two of the game, it is fairly enjoyable. The difficulty is not unreasonable, although the gameplay isn't very varied either, so isn't deep. The final hour on the other hand is a perfect demonstration of why these types of games are no longer popular and are relegated to nostalgic memories. As the difficulty ramps up you have to hope for the best that spamming the attack button will save you, and in the case of the final two bosses, of the first you must exploit the terrain if you want a real chance of winning, and for the final boss they have implemented a typical early-2000s timing attack boss with a doughnut shaped platform. This is an exercise in frustration and taints the rest of the relatively easy, nostalgia filled, game.

I went into the game wondering why the reviews were generally negative, and while the game was still constantly rewarding me with upgrades to the engine, and being genuinely fun, I still considered it good, but by the end it was clear the designer does not know the difference between difficulty and frustrating situations.

Before the frustrating parts of the game settled in, I had another major problem; the designer was trying too hard to be funny. It came off as trite and bland, and constant attempts to parody the genre (and Final Fantasy in particular) were forced, unfunny and broke the sense of nostalgic immersion I was experiencing. This game would have worked better as a simple, easy, nostalgia fueled game that had references, but not parodies, to other games in the genre.

I would not recommend this to anyone who didn't experience the first generations of action/adventure/RPG games, pre-2005, because if you didn't, you probably won't find this game fun at all, and I instead recommend you play games that actually came out pre-2005 to experience them first hand. This game does not do them justice.
  20. Jun 5, 2014
    Definitely a joyful travel through time! Though it's not as long as usual RPG's are, and replayability is highly questionable; it's still a lovely adventure and presentation of the evolution of RPG genre. If you think it's overpriced, you can still get it on sale and think of it as an interactive RPG documentary to avoid disappointment. Though, I believe, it's more than that.
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    There was I having fun with all the graphical upgrades when finally got into the story (can i even call it story?) when suddenly the game's finished in less than 3 hours where at least 2h is finding treasures that upgrade the graphics, sounds and gives access to basic things such as the menu, even tho i bought it at 75% off the base value is a ripoff for a game, (i mean demo) with this duration.

It's ridiculous how someone charges 10€ for such basic game (i mean demo) and where most of the names are pretty much taken from other games and even movies with just a letter change (such as Noria Mines, which is Moria from Lord of the Rings) and then worst, the duration of the game is pathetic at best and to think i was kinda hyped when i got the game (i mean demo).

Basically i feel like this is a "tech" demo for a great potential game, turns out the author just threw the demo at us and that's it.

If i want nostalgia there's plenty of games i can play (i can go play Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Pokemon and so many others) with at least 50+ hours of duration each, and that's just doing the main story and some exploration for better gear).

Overall i do NOT recommend buying this game (i mean demo) unless you pay 2.5 for it instead of the base 10.
  22. Apr 15, 2013
    Evoland is a great little game that takes us through the history of the most successful japanese style RPGs and platforms at the same time. I t starts with a gameboy-like image of a typical blocky character in well know 8 shades of greyish yellow and leads us further and further up the road to a N64-like 3D character in quest of chest that, instead of enhancing your firepower and armor classes, rather enhance the gameworld from 8-bit retro to 64 bit advanced, uncluding shaders, colors, music and general gameplay. It also includes a fun minigame where you have to achieve a pretty challenging cardgame.

The game in itself is a real pleasure to play. The overall design is extremely well done, the music is enjoyable and there is, of course, a pretty big portion of humor around every corner. My only real gripe is that it didn't last very long. Actually, it was finished in about 3 hours and I felt that the pretty vast gameworld in which the game took place could easily have contained a couple of additional quests. In the end, despite all the fun and the enchantment over the beauty of the design, I felt a bit like I had been rushed through a world and a concept that could easily have offered a lot more. I sincerely do hope that the developers will come up with a significantly larger version of the game.
    I also feel that the game was a little bit overpriced for what it offered, although I understand that most work has probably gone into the different designs and time layers and that, thus, the developers probably feel that around 10$ is cheap enough, they should not forget that a player measures a game's worth in totally different units.

Please give us Evoland 2, Evoland Forever, Evoland Infinite... Whatever! Just make it BIG!!!
  23. Aug 18, 2013
    Do not buy this game, its nothing more than a Frankenstein of references to older games. There is little to no strategy involved in playing the game, most of the time you're just walking around talking to a person who will ask you to talk to another person.

The game is short, the challenges are so bland, a five year old can complete the game, and you couldn't even call the story-line a
    real story.

save your money, buy something else.
  24. Sep 2, 2013
    I understand Evoland is supposed to just be a simple homage to older games such as zelda and final fantasy but Evoland itself is an unbearably frustrating and bland experience which barely re-sparked my love for the older titles. Evoland is not enjoyable. The few times you get a sense nostalgia for your childhood games it is often quickly squashed out by Evoland's over simplicity and frustrating mechanics. Expand
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    Evoland is a game that achieves most of what it sets out to do, -just-. Slapstick comedy and reference to the past 30 years of RPG history squeezed into a very short space. good visuals and a strong sense of accomplishment early game sadly die out all too soon thanks to a poor meld of plot and challenge. The unfortunate reality here is with a little more thought to the storyline and a more gradual and deliberate flow of challenges throughout, Evoland could have been a great little laugh while at the same time putting that nostalgic smile on your face. Collapse
  26. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The idea behind this game is solid and seems fun, but the execution was lacking. The game is short, I beat it in one sitting, but even at only 2-3 hours it dragged. The game continually upgrades into different types and styles of varying classic rpgs, but for some reason it can't decide on the overworld and in dungeon style to stay with. HP and XP Final Fantasy style in the overworld, diablo style fighting without leveling in dungeons. I wanted more story, more towns, more shops, more upgrades, more consistency. It's as if the devs grew tired of the concept and cut it short with their half assed ending.

I bought this at full price because my interest was piqued when I heard about it. It wasn't worth half.

Hopefully somebody else takes the idea and runs with it.
  27. Jun 19, 2014
    Just really enjoyed the game and found it very interesting. Would definitely recommend this game to anyone. some parts become frustrating and drag on a bit but very much enjoyed it overall
  28. Jul 18, 2013
    A classic RPG with a lot of allusions to well-known RPGs like The Legend of Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, The Elder Scrolls and more. If you know and played these games, you will have a lot of fun with this one. And even if you're not so much into nostalgia, it still leaves you with a solid RPG that has everything it needs.
  29. Nov 14, 2013
    Evoland is simply too short and unfulfilling, even if it does have a unique mechanic in upgrading its own visuals. Simple allusions to previous high-selling RPGs don't help either. It makes it all the more obvious how shallow this game really is.
  30. Dec 16, 2013
    It really could have been great, but it isn't.

First, it's very poorly coded. Want to see if you can beat the game without autoscrolling? Well, hope you like guessing where your character is, since he'll be spending much of his time off camera wandering around trying to trigger the invisible scroll points. Don't pick up mode-7 either, since without auto-scrolling, it make all graphics
    in the overworld completely misaligned. On the plus side though, you can move while doing the "got item" animation after opening a treasure chest, which isn't possible with autoscrolling. A good coder assumes all possibilities and accounts for them when making a game. Obviously, they assumed every player would play the same way they did and didn't bother to test the alternatives. To put a little icing on the cake, there's plenty of typos too. It's almost like there wasn't any QA at all.

Second, even if the game was great, it's like a demo version of the games it's trying to pay homage to. It reminds me of FF, A link to the Past, and Illusion of Gaia, but what made those games memorable wasn't their turn-based combat or use of mode-7, but their combination of engaging (well-coded) gameplay, deep storylines, and memorable characters. Lacking any real storyline or characters, and only offering a thin imitation of the gameplay, Evoland doesn't come close to having the same effect those games did.

If it was a free flash game, the quality and shallowness would be a lot more fitting, almost endearing. But since it's the same price as considerably better made and more thought out games, it's practically a scam.
  31. Jan 19, 2014
    There is no reason to call this anything other than a mediocre game. The first hour is fun as you go about collecting the powerups that create the 3D RPG world as we know it, but beyond that, the last two hours are all drudgery. Near the end, certain RPG tripes are introduced that are interesting (e.g. a quest based around talking to villagers, a Diablo-esque mission, and an interesting final boss battle), but everything leading up to that point is mostly worthless. I was mostly disappointed in the number of encounters that you face on the world map. I honestly couldn't walk on the world map for more than 4 seconds without an encounter. It was very annoying traveling between locations knowing that it would take 5-10 minutes longer than I want because of the random encounters. Your character can level up through these battles, but there's no reason to- all you gain is a bit more life. All the enemies are either killed in one hit, two hits, or more- leveling up doesn't change that.

Luckily, I got this game for cheap so I got enough satisfaction from it from the actual evolution stages of the game, but I guarantee that I'll never play the game again or recommend it to friends.
  32. Sep 1, 2013
    The game has a good sense of humor, but sometimes faithfulness to the old way of doing things stops being fun. Example: random battles every 5 seconds get tedious. You have unlimited healing, which in one way makes them less irritating, but in another way makes them even more pointless.
    I don't know if this was specific to my computer, but there was a point (the cave where you get the
    second half of the amulet) when my frame rate fell through the floor and the game became unplayable. This game's nostalgic graphics really shouldn't be causing that to happen. What I could see of the gameplay at 1 FPS made it look like it would be frustrating anyway. Expand
  33. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is actually really good, even though it is a bit short, it starts combining simple things that make an rpg fun and makes it fun to unlock. The turn based battling like FF isn't that deep, but it's still something interesting and fun, and it would be great if the developer could further develop this game. The legend of zelda style puzzles and gameplay is also quite fun. Two words = TOO.SHORT.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Story: 6/10
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 5/10
    Overall: 7/10
  34. Mar 30, 2014
    If you go into this game expecting a nice tribute to past games like Final fantasy and The Legend of zelda and not as a really deep story then you will find it is very good and alot of fun can be had.
  35. Apr 18, 2013
    A blast from the past. Evoland is a great way to spend a free weekend if you've got some free time. It says its a short story but I still got around 3 good days worth of gameplay from it. The references to other games are somewhat obvious as the further you get into it the funnier they get!

Sure the story isn't too original but this game is all about the experience and for its price tag
    I would highly recommend it. To sum up, if you're a fan of games like Zelda and Final Fantasy then you will LOVE this game. Expand
  36. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is very interesting. Not only is it a trip down memory lane, but it also serves to remind many of us how all the elements of games came about through a step by step process. It does have a simple story that unfolds as you progress through the game which may or may not be what some gamers are looking for. If you are looking for a deep compelling story that makes you feel for the characters then I would not recommend this particular game, however, if you want to go on an adventure that makes you appreciate the aspects of gaming that make up what we take for granted today, this is for you. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is awesome. If you want an interesting progression of how action adventure RPG's progressed over the decades this is pretty good. It has a suitably generic storyline but that suits the rest of the game perfectly. It's also cool how you swap between new old style.
  38. Jul 4, 2013
    The value of Evoland is not in a good story, or in its delivery of punchlines. It's meant to be a nostalgic experience, and if you don't feel the affect of it, or at least recognize it, then this game is not meant for you. If you are looking for an adventure game with an incredible plotline, twists and turns, and good characters, go play Zelda or Final Fantasy. Evoland is meant to be played by those who remember what those games used to be, and want nothing more than a chance for just one moment to feel that way again. This game isn't for everyone. But for those it is meant for see the beauty in it. Expand
  39. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Albeit short it provides flashbacks to the history of video games as well as fun game play and several humorous references. Another unexpected plus from this game was the music, which was far better than expected.
  40. Jul 28, 2013
    Great cheap game. Short, but bring lots of fun, showing us a mini-history of rpg games. This is a casual game, don't expect hours and hours of intense complicated gameplay. This game is good for its simplicity.
  41. Apr 8, 2014
    I have a problem with this game - it is constantly reminding me that it is a game. Throughout play, the game 'evolves' the technical and play mechanics. It is this persistent reminder, and the jokes the game makes at its own expense, that irk me, jar me out of the experience and sometimes confuse the issue of what the goals are during play. Am I seeking the next chest to unlock a new mechanic?

Because it was reminding me it's a game, I continued noting the evolution of play and spoting inconsistencies as things updated. The game can't help but do this. And after awhile, I began to miss playing Zelda because Evoland might as well have said, "Hey, I'm not Zelda, but this is sort of how that game works and we are imitating something already created." In fact, I stopped playing and turned on that great NES classic.

Buy this if you're curious but wait for it to go on sale. Evoland is not a game that seems to want to stand on its own merit except for novelty.
  42. Jan 3, 2014
    This game is truly a delight to play. Even if you don't necessarily remember the classic games that this game pays homage to, the history lesson and the beautiful progression of graphics. No, the gameplay itself isn't the best, and sometimes the controls are kludgy, but I love the originality of the idea and think it's terrific.
  43. Jan 6, 2014
    This is not a bad indie game if you buy it during the steam sale. An interesting mix between Zelda and Final Fantasy.

Lots of fun during the first half of the game when you open chests that are evolving the world around you. The problem is the second half of the game when the game loses his main idea (evolution of the world) and tries to be just a classic RPG. The hitbox of the two
    hands of the final boss is bad. Expand
  44. Jan 12, 2014
    While I agree with those saying it has no story depth, little mechanics, goals, etc., I can't say this is a bad game. When reviewing a game you have to go farther than just "does this game have a point?". Evoland is a throwback to old RPGs, and along with that it brings feelings from those RPGs. The music, the graphics, the sense of progression, the in-jokes and the overall style of the game is unique and gives a good feeling, reminding me of good times spent playing RPGs for hours and hours on end. Not reccomended for players not experienced in RPGs, but for me, personally, this game is incredible. Expand
  45. Apr 26, 2014
    It's important to realise when playing this game that it isn't meant to be a true RPG - it's meant to be a pisstake of the RPG genre, wherein you have to unlock everything, right down to moving, saving and battling. And it does that absolutely brilliantly - I would reccomend this game to anyone who liked the old RPGs like Final Fantasy and the like - I for one found myself chuckling heartily at the little references here and there.

Final score - 10/10. A great little game for fans of old RPGs.
  46. Apr 18, 2014
    Great game. You will never appreciate this game if what you are looking for is action and rich content. This game is only designed for those older guys who have experienced the fun in 8 bit games, 16 bit games until now. Don't dump your **** like "this game sux, only talk and talk etc".
  47. Aug 29, 2014
    Good idea, and a very nice execution.
    I think that whoever gives a negative review to the game tries to review it as a game of its own, and that's not entirely correct, in my opinion.
    Yes, as a game of it's own, this game is average at best and I'd give it maybe 4.510 or something like that.
    Its own graphics aren't spectacular, its own soundtrack is kinda dull, the story is a pretty
    lame save-the-town-from-evil kind of thing.

And maybe I've got it all wrong, but I don't think that in any way this game tries to be any good on its own.
    The idea here is to bring the evolution of video games in one product, with great emphasis on the RPG genre. And that it does well, in my opinion, and I don't remember any other game doing that as good as Evoland does, I don't remember any developer even trying out this idea, which is actually a pretty good and interesting one!

I really enjoyed this game, and really enjoyed seeing the old good 2D 2-colors graphics turning gradually into a nicely done 3D HD manymany-colors graphics.

It's a short experience, but that's the way it should be, and it costs accordingly (10 bucks is alright for this).

Also, you'll probably enjoy the game more if you're familiar with the old-classic RPG's because this game has many specific references.

One thing that annoyed me, to make the game more interesting the developers added achievements. They're pretty cool actually, and added a lot to the game, and I even wanted to complete them all. That's until I realized you don't really have any way to track your progress...UNLESS you own Evoland on Steam. Because Steam has an achievements system. The game itself, doesn't. So, if you're like me, and bought the game on GOG, and wish to track your achievements, you can only do so by manually check the list on Steam, or simply purchasing the game again on Steam.
    Does it worth it? naaah. It's a shame there's no achievements tracking in the game!

All in all, the game is nice for a one-time playthrough. Give it a try if you're familiar with the old time of video gaming.
  48. Oct 18, 2013

1. Jun 13, 2013
    Evoland is a frustrating affair. Its premise is great and it has potential to spare, but instead of an inspired retro journey all you get is a combination of lazy jokes, bland Zelda-esque gameplay and numbingly tedious JRPG battles. [June 2013]
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    As an introduction to old-school classics, Evoland is just too boring, and most veterans are not that nostalgic to blindly forgive its shoddy attempts at game design.
    The old-school approach of the gameplay is not that fresh anymore and the steep price cannot justify the overpriced sentimentality. [May 2013]