8.4

1. May 30, 2013
    To preface this review I have so-far only played ~5 hours. This game is a gem, in my opinion. It is a nice strategy/rpg game when we have a sore lack of good ones that aren't a decade old. The setting is fantastic and original and so far the story isn't disappointing. Being able to select who you want to bring and the customization is fantastic. Although I would like to see a bit more and have it a little deeper it is still good as is. The randomization is nice and makes you have to play dynamically and with ironman turned on it is a pleasure. I will have to re-rate when I finish but preliminary review says it is very good. I am a but worried about replayability, however. I was hoping it would be sort of like x-com replayability but the terrain looks like it will be the same each time you play.

Bottom-line: if this seems even remotely interesting to you you should definitely pick it up.
  2. May 31, 2013
    I've played the game for (too many) hours now- and that's the kind of game it is: highly immersive, fun and challenging. You get to KNOW your party, they have personalities and you get to like them and agonize when you loose them(or in some cases hate them and consider loosing them!). It is not perfect, no game is, but it is well thought out and well executed. And the setting is brilliant. Can we have an expansionpack please? "Visit" the Mayans perhaps? Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2013
    First of all about this game: reading. If you don't like reading and using your imagination, don't even bother since those are the two pre requisites to playing this.
    The story tells you that you're a captain and an explorer and you're off to the New World to discover everything you can, be famous and bring glory to Spain. But before any of that happens, you must choose the name, gender
    and some qualities for your conquistador (like tactics, leadership, diplomacy etc), then you must choose 10 from a lot of different characters to bring on your adventure with you. Each one of them have 3 different attributes varying from Racist to Altruistic and that affects how you play the game, since choosing, for example, all peaceful followers will make you lose morale (a very important factor in this game) each time you enter a battle you could choose not to. Low morale means the risk of mutiny and the loss of the game, making you start it all over again. So, you have to think how you'll want to play the game before you even do so when choosing your followers and their characteristics.
    But that's not the end of that, each follower have a different class, from doctor to hunter, scholar, soldier and scout and they too play differently. Doctors are used manly for heal either inside or outside the battle. Soldiers will do the heavy work and guard your camp from thieves and raiders. Each class is unique and choosing the followers atributes along with their classes greatly changes the game, making for more a lot of replayability.
    After you're through with all that you actually begin the game, but the reading and the choices never cease. Every dialogue have more than one option to play out and every choice has an impact that will last not only in your group, but how the NPCs treat you and what they talk.
    Best part about that is: the writing in this game is done very nicely. You won't be tired of reading and reading because you'll actually care about what people are telling you and since the choices last for the whole game you'll really think about what you're going to do and how it'll affect you in the long term.
    I've seem a lot of people complain about the map, since you can't zoom out enough, making it difficult to choose a good path. I agree with them, but only to an extent. I think you should be able to see more of the map, but not all of it, since it'd ruin your exploration (making it too easy) and this game is all about walking around exploring everything. Making the map easier would do this game no good.
    The cons are, in my opinion, that the game starts way too hard and, at some point, it just gets way too easy. I had to restart the game 5 times until I've learned everything I was doing wrong but, when I learned, it was just a piece of cake and not challenging at all. I'd end up with so many rations, medicine, valuables, equipment and experience that I had no idea what to do with it but stock it up. That wasn't game breaking (far from it), but something felt missing. I'll still play it on a harder difficult to see if that makes it more challenging.
    Another con is not having the option to fast forward the enemy turn. Sometimes they'd have 12 soldiers to move and I had to wait each and everyone of them before I could start playing my turn or just retreat (if I knew I wasn't going to win). It felt like a waste of time, but even that is only a minor problem that I had.
    I've spent more than 30 hours in this game and I'm looking forward to going to my second playthrough with different followers and maknig different choices.
    I recommend this game, it delivers a lot for a fair price. If this review interested you, play it.
    If reading, choosing and not so good looking graphics turn you off, then you're better off not buying this.
  4. May 30, 2013
    This game is one of those you don;t see in this age anymore.How many games of this type gives you option to choose your party,manage your party,have elements like hunting,guarding has very good AI and in some cases it can be a bit to much challenging especially for casual players,but you can modify difficulty and even on normal (and most likely on easy) its very satisfying,my point is its very in-dept strategy game and it has wide range of options both for casual and old hardcore players who were dying hard for challenge.Also you need to worry about random events like disease,you need to worry about supplies especially food,because you can't venture and explore without it and not raise rebellion among your followers and a lot more.Also story is pen 'n' paper but its written very well,its like reading good book,if you like books you will find yourself lost in very well dialogs,even if you are not fan of the books you will like it.Also there are standard perks like leadership,tactic now every one of them including diplomacy is important,because depending on which you choose it will affect your character and at the end there is moral element in the game.Graphics are nice,it keeps retro look and it still look like modern game.Music is very nice,first thing i usually do is turnoff sound in game and than launch my playlist,but not this time.There are a lot of feature and they did very good job with tutorials and tooltips so with a little of reading and watching illustration you will learn mechanics and features in no time,but will you master the game My only compliant is camera and world map.Now you can rotate camera to fit your angle,but it has limited line of sight and trees can get in the way.And world map is not detailed enough,most of the time i have to move my head really close to monitor to see patches even if i play on max resolution and compass is confusing,But you get use to it very fast so its not big deal but because of that i can't give this game 10. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2013
    Expeditions: Conquistador is a decently entertaining indie endeavor, but unfortunately suffers from a feeling of being just a little shallow. The overall concept is a great idea, but is not executed in-depth. Exploration was not exciting and offered little reward for the player. Combat is (uninspired) standard turn-based fare. Some of the redeeming qualities are the initial party creation system, which does give you the opportunity to learn about your crew in some detail, as well as finding your own strengths and weaknesses. The attributes you choose here will potentially impact the rest of your game. For example, choosing a leader with strong leadership and diplomacy but weak tactics may allow the player to talk their way out of violent confrontations, yet leave them vulnerable to ambush situations. Your crew also has specific traits such as proud, pious, cautious, or even racist. A racist and pious crew member may not take kindly to your allowing natives to perform pagan ceremonies and suggest that you exterminate them instead. Your decisions will have impact on many different characters beyond yourself in this manner. There is also some crew member management to put up with (how much do you feed them, what should they do at night), though the system feels a little half-baked and eventually tedious. The story itself is well developed, but is unfortunately buried in walls and walls of text that the vast majority of casual gamers will not be interested in reading.

A truly solid effort, worthy of a high 6's (I'd say 68) score. For the price of a DVD, it's worth checking out and having a few hours of fun with, IF you don't mind lots of reading and a steep learning curve with poor tutorials.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    A good game. There's a mix of RPG and turn based strategy elements. Multiple dialogue options with a karma-like system called morale. Overall, I enjoyed this game.
  7. Jun 10, 2013
    Mixed feelings on the game. It basically plays like a HOMM-type "dungeon crawl," except you're a Spanish explorer, and there's more might than magic... HOM would be more appropriate a comparison, I guess.

The difficulty curve is absurd it starts excessively difficult, then becomes pointlessly easy. I screwed my first adventure up pretty severely. After that, I switched ironman-mode on
    and played through the whole game with very little in the way of challenge. Even the very few battles some others noted as difficult (the revolters at the city on the first map, for example) were already too easy, being able to wipe out the enemies before the ten-turn survival timer. The difficulty sliders don't seem to create much more challenge unless you let the enemy combat AI blatantly cheat, which is just silly and immersion-breaking.

The combat is very flavorless... I liked three soldiers, two scouts, and a highest-rank doctor. There's basically one enemy... tan man. Some walk a little faster, some are obnoxious and shoot, then run back behind combat lines, but they all die with a few clicks. Between the combat and the ease (excluding cheating for the AI), there's really no replay value in E:C except maybe to look at the different pieces of dialogue, and I can't imagine justifying the time investment for that.

The aesthetics are pretty, and background music decent (being an indie game, there apparently wasn't enough in funds to really expand on the music where it needed it lots of looping, but it was good). As many have mentioned, the lack of transparent foliage in the "world map" was a horrible decision, and the camera angles are far too zoomed in. Yes, the foliage looks good, yes I appreciate it.... now quit making me stare at it, I want to play the game! Traveling on the "world map" is actually pretty horrible. Clicking interactive objects frequently fails to work correctly, and I have to mention AGAIN how non-transparent foliage makes travel extremely tedious.

I actually liked a lot of the side dialogue (though I've already forgotten the overall story something about wanting to explore the Americas and getting stuck with a bunch of unhappy Spaniards, and then you get dumped into Aztec territory and you're helping the tribes there out because.... Idunno, you're there?). The way actions in-game shaped dialogue were occasionally not shallow and made a real, logical, satisfying impact on the way the game played out. Some of the events in the game are absurd and didn't match the overall tone of the game... some just seemed really slopped together and added just to make something interesting happen, which ended up not being very interesting at all.

The game managed to make skills relevant in dialogue without doing something silly like having a message pop up saying you need 8 more points in spelunking to swing from a rope, but also without being obtuse.

The game overall feels very solid. I can think of a few significant flaws, nothing too horrible to ruin it, but I can't think of anything spectacular. It was a great opening for a new dev team, and hopefully they'll expand on this.
  8. omi
    Jun 2, 2013
    This is an excellent heroes of might and magic style game putting you in the command of an expedition team adventuring in colonization times America. Complete with turn based tactical warfare and RPG elements. It is quite complex due to moral choices you make on game events which may effect party members morale inadvertently. are you pious, racist open minded all that take into account.
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    This game should be getting more press. It was the most interesting indie title-- easily on par in terms of content, quality, writing, music, and concept-- with any recent AAA title, actually-- I've played in years. I am thirty hours in, just got to Mexico, and I'm not even close to bored. I love TBS and rpg games and this game blends those concepts fluidly and with an artistry that is rare in the cookie cutter mass produce winning formula marketplace-- the game easily deserves a 9.5. Rock solid, intelligent, and informative to boot. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2013
    If you can look past the slightly drab presentation this is a really well thought out indie game that combines exploration with team management with tactical combat. Unfortunately the hex battles feel a little shallow at first and are slow to pick up speed, but are enough to give fans of old-school tbs another fix.
    The team management and travel options are great if you liked the Dark
    Eye computer games, you'll love this. Expand
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    Very refreshing and has the classic feel at the same time. Hardcore strategy and rpg fans will love this. Characters interactions are interesting. Exploration is decent. Choices matter(a thing absent in modern rpg games). All this makes the game totally worth every dollar.
  12. Aug 19, 2013
    Hero's of Might and Magic and Oregon trail all in the 15th century. Elements really play along the lines of HOMM as you lead an army of upwards of 16+ members into hex tile battles where you can select from your expedition 1 to 6 members Your also in charge of a few resources to use for trading building traps and to survive.
    Semi micro managing is required to live through the two maps
    presented in this simple game. On top of all this there are random generated events that happen at will, just like Oregon trail. The game basically offers three paths for the player to go down, Good, Evil and Neutral. Well written dialogue offer multiple routes to take and do make an impact on your character and your followers moral. So even playing one of the three traits you still could deviate and make a hybrid type character.

The price to game is worth it as you'll quickly spend hours playing and replaying different difficulties. The main game offers two maps, first being a simple small map while retaining a hard learning curve. As for the second map you'll find it three times as large as the first and loads of content within. It really does play off HOMM and Oregon trail themes. You also have to look at how much they got from KS to even make this game, that in it's self says volumes for this group of developers.

Downsides include not enough events to experience out your followers as all experience gained is through your choices and handling of events not through killing or winning battles.
    ( Once again a big emphasis on choices )
    Other bad things you could find in this game are the camera angles and sometimes hard to move to locations. You can only zoom out so far and look a distance from your standing character on map. In the actual map you cannot set paths unless you select landmarks to navigate to and around. Another strange bug if a steam user are the achievements not registering after so long of game play, which forces the player to save and restart the game near a achievement spot to register properly. The achievement bug aside there really isn't a lot to complain about unless you're not use to this style of game play and the harsh difficulties it sometimes hands the player.

In the end this game is a must for old school HOMM players as it'll rekindle that old flame of playing hot seat with your friends and trotting along as your leader character. Saving resources to build that lamp or cannonball while tending to each duty your followers do at camp before the next move phase. Heck there's even a part where you build a fort.

8/10 If this had more content experience It'd be a solid 9 in my book.
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    I've never played a game like Expeditions: Conquistador before, either in its genre or in the historical setting. I was leery of the game simply due to the setting the Spanish conquests were brutal and to take control of a party of conquistadores worried me. Luckily, the developers managed to pull it off. You can play more peacefully, but you'll pay for it your party members have traits (such as racist, proud, etc) and these traits impact their reactions to your decisions. I opted to not kill a native and my proud and racist followers lost morale, while my pious followers gained some.

The graphics and camera display are a bit wonky, but the battles have the best graphics. My favorite scene thus far comes in an ambush in an old ruins you have to fight your way through rooms of natives and the mix of water, torches, and cave really lend itself well to the presentation.

It's hard to summarize all this game does well, but essentially it offers a very engaging story where you becomes attached to your characters and their traits. It's fun to explore Hispaniola and Mexico in this setting and the fact that losing a battle doesn't mean you have to begin a new means that even the worst players can still proceed through the excellent story.

Play on easy at first with tutorials, then switch to normal or higher without. I had a frustrating, two-hour campaign that ended in my party mostly dying and saw the rest mutiny, but with a little more care I have managed to hunt, camp, and manage the morale of my team well. Except for that lone pious, racist nun...I'm trying to decide if I'll just try to kill her off or placate her.
  14. May 31, 2013
    Haven't played a game this entertaining and addictive in a very long time. Well done in every respect. We need more games like Expeditions: Conquistador.
  15. Jun 5, 2013
    Expeditions: Conquistador combines an exploration game, a tactics game, and a lot of writing. The tactics game is a fairly simple turn-based system on a hex grid, with various classes and special abilities. The exploration game includes a camping simulation in which you assign party members to various tasks. Both games are fun to learn, then they become tedious and repetitive as you find the one best way to win.

The writing is terrific. Somebody really put their heart into it. The text is where you'll find most of this game's imagination and variety. Don't skip it.

This game is not a history lesson on conquistadors. Half the available characters are women. Many of the story options involve politically correct concerns about racism and colonial oppression. Maybe some people enjoy "historical" games full of modern sensibilities; I would have preferred to learn how the actual conquistadors saw themselves and their world.

The tactics game also fails to deliver much history. I was expecting small numbers of well-equipped Spaniards versus large numbers of poorly-armed natives. But this game's battles involve equal numbers of men on each side, where a metal-clad steel-wielding Spaniard is equivalent to a leather-clad obsidian-wielding native. It's not a fatal flaw, but it's certainly an opportunity missed.

Expeditions: Conquistador is a fairly good game that could have been so much better. If you don't mind your video games giving you lots to read and not much historical accuracy, then this title is definitely worth $10-15 on sale.
  16. Jun 3, 2013
    HoMM in a semi historical setting and better story, imo. Getting sloppy with tactics in battles can really slap you in the face though. My first attempt I let one of my doctors go on another expedition for a week. Well I got sloppy in a battle with the rebels and 3 guys sustained critical wounds. Wasn't enough doctors in the group to pull me back from that. Graphics are acceptable and I found the story somewhat interesting to begin with but after 8 hours I just started clicking through things. Easily worth the small price they're asking for. Btw, developer apparently gets more money from buying on GMG, don't worry Steam key no their awful capsule, than they do through Steam directly. Expand
  17. Jun 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As one of the original Kickstarter backers, I had pretty high hopes for this game, now having finished both campaigns I have to say, some were realized, some weren't.
    The difficulty development is not very well done, the game can be incredible tedious and frustrating in the beginning, where minor mishaps and random events can make your life hell, and it becomes pretty trivially easy once you enter the second campaign and your soldiers gain experience. In the endgame, it's a proverbial walk in the park.
    Quests and scripted events can destroy motivation, as there are events triggered randomly that can make a quest unfinishable without telling the player. Would be nice if I hadn't wasted 3 hours trying to find a place that I was unable to reach in time from the very start...
    Exploration can be fun, but it has it's tedious aspects. The camera angle can be extremely annoying and the limited field of view unnerving. The descriptions in the text on where to find quest objectives are vague at best, and some are downright wrong (like, once, the description stated to follow a river north when the target was really south).
    Combat can be a mixed bag, too. The basic system and rules are very well done, they suffer. however from strange hickups in the enemy AI. Sometimes they act smart, sometimes they commit suicide by provoking chain attacks of opportunity. There is not much variety in enemy units or tactics, and I really had wished for larger battles with more than 6 troops on each side. A defensive playing style is, with the AI limitations, inherently more successful than an aggresive one.
    Also, the info on screen can be misleading, I'd bet a nifty sum that the accuracy for ranged attacks is not shown on screen correctly and I have a strong suspicion that range, cover and darkness penalties are not applied correctly to enemy archers (Either that or I had the big bad mother of bad luck streaks ;-)
    Also, the claimed 25 hours of gameplay are very generously estimated. Most of those come from exploring empty areas, grinding and travelling, the actual story and campaign missions feel very short.
    Add to that some annoying bugs (party members disappearing, your characters scouting stat resetting to 5 after loading a saved game, some others) and it's a decent game with nice looks, good writing a a very interesting historic background, but quite some room for improvement.
  18. Jun 27, 2013
    Pretty nice game with team management, tactical turn-based combats, great soundtrack and a feel of real adventure. Exploration is a large part of the game though, there are a lot of hidden treasures, side-quests, special events on the map. The camp system is pretty entertaining and I'd say all of the game systems are well-thought. So hopefully more RPG/TBS fans will check this game, it's worth it!
  19. Jun 5, 2013
    Silly fiction that can never decide between being hard-ass realistic and disney-nice. Silly dialogue. Map feels empty and contrastingly square, for lack of a better expression. Combat is a lot worse than the Heroes of Might and Magic formula, with an idiotic interpretation of ranged versus melee mechanics. Misc battlefield elements are pointless and boring.

I really wanted to like this
    game,but its just really bad. Expand
  20. May 30, 2013
    Just got the game earlier today. This game seems to be a smart, very well done indie game. As with most indies, graphics aren't the selling point, but aren't bad considering. So far, it plays like a well done historical RPG with turn based combat, character development (for both the main character and the members of his/her party).
    If you are looking for a lot of special effects and
    over the top action, keep looking. If you want a deep, well thought out indie turn based RPG, this is definitely worth a try (especially if you value realism/history).
    Don't expect a AAA style release, but then the price reflects it's non AAA status.
  21. Jul 29, 2013
    I really tried to like the game, but I just couldn't. The difficulty is completely off, the game actually has one of the worst cases of early game hell I've ever seen. Stay away unless you are prepared to get raped hard in the beginning and breeze through the rest of the game.
  22. Dec 28, 2013
    I think the writing and personalities are the strongest points in this game, it is very nicely done. From what I've seen so far, and I've barely gotten to the mainland, the player's choices aren't world changing but it's situation changing and satisfying when things go your way. The game is very difficult if you don't have the "perfect" setup which I suppose I haven't. I get robbed all the time because I seem to have too few guards and scouts when I camp which in turn leads to valuables disappearing all the time. I actually appreciate the difficulty of this game, and have tailored my own difficulty which also makes the game harder than "default" as my soldiers gets injured quite frequently, and they even die. When someone dies I almost mourn them, because the interaction with the expedition members is quite deep in this game. Since I didn't pick complete a-holes to begin with, I've gotten to know quite a few good people in my expedition. If you like deep roleplaying and strategic turn based combat, this is exactly what you get here. If I could use my own character in combat as well, and that the itemization was a little bit more detailed, I'd given the game 10/10. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2013
    Normally I don't review games or movies, bur this game clearly calls for a rousing review. I just love this game. It's challenging, it's fun, it's engaging. The writing is exceptional, the story is great, the music is marvellous and the art is good in a very retro-feeling-way. Yes, there is a fair amount of micro-management, but thats OK with me, and a lot of it can be automated.
    I don't
    understand why this game is so little known imo it's one of the best games this year. I'm on my 2. playthrough this time as a mean conquistadora and I'm having a ball. I just want to know when the next Expeditions game is available sign me up! Expand
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    Expeditions Conquistador is definitely a mixed experience. The overall battle gameplay and discovery systems are fun and engaging, but some of the larger gameplay elements are terribly flawed or just boring. Specifically, having your main characters randomly die during the "choose your own text adventure" sidegames is a terrible gameplay experience. Moreover, exploration and story quests were boring and redundant overtime.

It's an ok game with interesting elements, but there's too much text based story, and not much of an "epic" feel to anything that happens.
  25. Mar 18, 2014
    This game is rock solid. It has a high learning curve for map exploration and party management, and the turn-based battle strategy is fun and well-balanced. The battles were all fairly unique and didn't feel repetitive. The RPG aspect including dialogue, choices, consequences and party members' interactions are reminiscent of old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate. It's a good combination of strategy and RPG. However, every time your party runs out of movement points on the map, you have to manage your party as you put them to sleep (make sure someone hunts for food, make sure someone creates healing herbs, make sure someone guards the loot, make sure someone xxx). While this aspect of the game is captivating for the first 5-10 hours, it quickly becomes tedious. Other than this one drawback, however, the game is quite fun. Expand
  26. Feb 21, 2014
    Very nice game all around, good storyline, true morale choices, interesting characters and set up, funny combat and exploration, varied quests, not bad graphics, you will learn a lot about that era from this game, in the end you will feel like a conquistador discovering and exploring a new world.
  27. Jun 12, 2013
    Interesting mix of genres and almost unexplored setting for a game, Expeditions: Conquistador is a breath of fresh air. Tactical turn-based combat, resource management and CYOA-lite adventure segments with far reaching consequences. Although most profoundly indie release, the game feels professionally finished. A future add-on campaign that'd allow the developers refine their concept further would be most welcome. Even in it's current state, the game provides great value for discerning PC gamers. Expand
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    A extremely well written and mature game. Lots of moral decisions which influences your party members morale as well the course of the story. The battles are well done, with a fairly clever AI. A hidden gem and masterpiece of a game.
  29. Aug 14, 2013
    I love strategy games so I was excited by this though I must say I was ultimately dissapointed.

For starters, as has been pointed out, the difficulty level is outrageous. What annoys me is that equipping characters with guns and armour etc. seems to make very little difference. There is also little variety to the game and not much of a feeling of progress.

Game has lots of potential
    but, I think, could have done with more testing groups to iron out its issues prior to full release. I will look out for any follow ups. Expand
  30. Jun 5, 2013
    Absolutely great bang for your buck. If you're into isometric strategy (X-Com, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics) you're going to like this game. No reason not to pick this up.
  31. Jul 25, 2013
    Expeditions: Conquistador is an enjoyable strategy RPG, which has a strong atmosphere and a classic charm to it, allowing you to see past the few flaws it has. Some of the battles can come out of nowhere and be sort of cheap (good luck fighting powerful ranged enemies with your melee-focused battle team or vice versa at certain points), and the story can be wildly inconsistent, switching between a normal adventurous tone to an attempt at being dark, for example during one dialogue sequence it said that one of my party members walked up with a eating grin, which seemed entirely out of place. It's pretty enjoyable and if you want a strategy RPG with a sometimes inconsistent story, this is worth checking out. Expand
  32. Jul 29, 2013
    Basically, imagine Oregon Trail, combined with a Turn-based strategy game. The battles play out like pretty much every TBS you've ever played, so if you like them, you'll like this. Where the game shines is in the in between battle campaign management. You get to form a custom party from 5 different classes, upgrade them with weapons, stats, and Fallout-style traits. You can only move on the map X amount per turn, and then make camp. During camp, you have to allocate supplies (food matters!), set guard patrols, heal wounded, make potions and items, hunt game to supplement your food supplies, improve moral, etc, etc.

For me, this was a very welcome element to a stagnant genre. I love TBS games, but so many just follow the old Nippon-Ichi style, which is getting old. This gives you the opportunity to control every element of your party, ensure there survival against the harsh wilderness, negotiate with tribal leaders, and everything else a leader needs to do to keep his party alive and fighting.

The only reason I didn't give this game a 9 or 10 was because of the graphics, which are clunky and uninspired, and lack of replay. The game is pretty static, so until they release an expansion, you pretty much only get the same game, only at a higher difficulty.
  33. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will not pretend that Expeditions: Conquistador is a perfect game, but it is a good one, and at twenty dollars you'll be getting your money's worth and then some.

The game, in a nutshell, is a mix between the older "Heroes of Might and Magic" games and the "Fire Emblem" series. An overworld traversed by turns is explored to discover resources and activate interactive events (roleplaying opportunities, choose-your-own-adventure style decision points, and battles). Resource and party management between turns (camping) add some important flavor to the game. Turn based battles occur on a hex grid populated by your individual party members and various obstacles (some artificially set by you and your enemies). A basic leveling and customization system alters your character's and party's performance and abilities, both in the overworld and the battlefield. Two semi-linear campaigns (variable outcomes, but always the same general direction) guide you through the game without locking you into events until their respective endgames.

This game has some minor flaws. Certain random events can become tedious or seem frustratingly unfair (e.g. a poisonous spider biting your primary hunter or guard can lead to near disaster early in the game and will always be annoying later). The computer's in-battle path assignments are inefficient and occasionally suicidal, forcing you to micromanage your soldiers' movements space by space in close quarters. The coding of the game is not it's strength: the whole affair is a bit of a memory hog for what it's doing.

But these things only lose the game one point out of the ten that it's strength lends it.

The game's true strength is in it's writing and in the interconnectivity of the systems described above coming together to create an engaging, sometimes engrossing, atmosphere. The story, especially for the first campaign, is wonderful. Characterizations are strong throughout the game, including in your own party. Descriptions are short, yet often brilliant, simply painting a picture in your mind.

Even better, this writing is typically accompanied by choices: conversation options, command and action decisions and the like, that will have real consequences for you and your companions. Some will change your individual party members' morals. Some will change your reputation with local factions, which can alter the prices of gear, food, etc. all leading back to your party's fighting capabilities and moral. Some options will only be available if you or party members have sufficient skill. Some will be available, but will only be SUCCESSFUL if you or party members have sufficient skill; a bad call can lead to failure, injuries, and at critical junctures, deaths.

The most heartbreaking moment in my first playthrough came near the end of the first campaign when a certain party member is kidnapped to be offered up as sacrifice to a cannibal god. This is part of the story and will always happen. But what happened next was entirely on me. Through my prior actions and my inexperience with the various systems, I found myself charging to her rescue COMPLETELY UNPREPARED, and I paid for it. The follower was killed in the disastrously commanded rescue attempt, another was wounded, and that wound festered and killed them because I had failed to stock up my medicine. The expedition was dejected at the tragic losses, and so was I because I saw in retrospect that it had been my own decisions which had ultimately led to these horrible events. Horrible events written, I might add, in the same incredible prose as the rest of the game.

But that's what's so great about this game. I could go on, but in short, the manner in which every part of the game affect every other part ultimately serves to add to the writing, the most incredible part by far, and make you feel as if you are truly experiencing an adventure-exploration story with real characters that you care about. If recent blockbuster AAA titles have left you feeling that you are playing a movie, this game will have you feeling that you're playing one of the best page turners you've ever read.

Play it.
  34. Aug 17, 2013
    I bought this game because I saw someone on Twitch.tv playing it, it looked like a Fire emblem style game but with a more comprehensive grid. I was not disappointed, this game is amazing, better than a lot of games that came out recently. There are, like all games, a few bugs that are kind of annoying but the game play, story, and different ways to play just make the game so much fun!
  35. Aug 20, 2013
    I liked it.
    I really love the games general idea. Haven't seen anything like this before.
    In the beginning hours I was a little overwhelmed by the necessary micromanagement of my expedition, but after some time it's really fun. I liked the turn-based battles and the exploration in general.
    You won't get much eye-candythough, all events (except the battles) are presented in text form,
    leaving a lot to your imagination.
    But I think there is a lot more potential in this game. For example there could be more events tailored to your companions, even something like personal quests, modifying the companions morale. The story isn't that interesting, quite predictable.
    All in all, I enjoyed and would recommend it.
  36. Sep 22, 2013
    Bought this on a whim, turns out it's one of the most well conceived tactical games I've ever played, similar to Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3, but much lower key, and with a real-world setting.

Every aspect of the game works together to create a cohesive whole; travelling affects resources; resources affect combat effectiveness; combat success or failure affects your party's morale and
    effectiveness and their injuries; injuries prevent characters from assisting while travelling.

The style is beautiful, and you'll play out your tactical battles on some carefully constructed battlefields. Tactical options, though simple, have cleverly thought through effects, and plenty of variety.

If you have any interest in turn-based games of any kind; get this and enjoy it. If you don't, maybe this will be a great kickstart to a long life of enjoying them. Fantastic game and well worth your time. The only downside I have with it is the fact that it is so time consuming. Tactical battles can take a little too long, so 1 point off for that. Otherwise, it's brilliant.
  37. Jan 12, 2014
    A "Turn based strategy RPG"; this game has a heroes/disciples style travel and tactical combat system, combined with rpg elements of a progressing party (a la X-com) and with a focus on story and choicemaking (a la fallout, etc). This ambitious combination, furthermore, is executed within a very accurate (well, mostly) historical setting and a very intriguing narrative. The immersion level of this game is simply amazing, and the fun factor of its gameplay parallels this quality. It has been a while since I've seen one from the "tactical RPG" genre this well executed, so I'm not kidding when I say this game deserves to be in the same shelves with the classics of the genre. (Yes, I've got the original fallout(s), and x-com in mind).

The soundtrack is addictive, the graphics are immersive, and the story is very interesting. From romance options to various decisions you make, choices have important effects on both your followers (the party) and the shaping of the story - which in turn increases the immersion further.

I really can't find much of a negative aspect to say. Bugs are near non-existent, replayabilty is there. The only thing I can think of for the moment, and that is only for the Steam version, is that the (Steam) achievement system is somewhat bugged, resulting in achivements sometimes not registering until you reboot the game. I'm pretty sure it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

One last thing to mention (again, for the Steamers): while I was browsing the forums for this game, I saw that the developers are very active; they engage in discussions, provide help and are awesome people.

I find it surprising actually that this game is so underrated and under-heard of as the awesome game it is.
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    I really like this game. It's a great combination of RPG and Strategy gameplay elements.

As the name of the game suggests, the background is the historical event of the Spaniard expedition to America. The game offers quite a wide spectrum of morale choices. You can be the cruel conquistador who burns the villages and kill the natives in the name of god and the Spanish crown, you could
    choose to be the diplomatic scholar type, who comes to learn about the culture of the natives, or any path in between those extreme agendas.

Either way, the game is designed to challenge your decisions. While you start with a group of loyal followers, they won't necessarily stay loyal, as every decision you make may affect their morale. Therefore, it's important to give it some thought when choosing people for your party and try to minimize potential conflicts, which will arise very often during the game. While some people give most of the weight to military and tactical skills when choosing party members, I think the characters of the people you choose is just as important, if not more.

There's a lot more to write and explain, but trying and game and figuring it out for yourself would probably be a better use of your time. Expeditions: Conquistador is a great game, don't let it slip away!
  39. Dec 2, 2013
    I am about seven hours into my first play through and I am loving it. Picture the oregon trail but actually a game and a fun one at that. The combat is a tactical turn based action game focusing on strategy and classes.Expeditions also features an overhead map that allows you to find loot and materials that turn into valuable resources. If you want a fun indie RPG/strategy game give this one a shot it's defiantly worth the $20. Expand
  40. Mar 3, 2014
    This is a lovely game. It mixes perfectly strategy, roleplaying and exploration. The creators of this game did an original masterpiece with a small budget.

I like how exploration works, the variety of missions, the history, party management, and a big etcetera.

I hope developers do a new game in the same setting.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Expedition: Conquistadors is very entertaining strategic role playing game, about an interesting subject, too [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    A very good game, with interesting narration, nice characters and some solid mechanics. It's got its limits and you can clearly see the small budget, but it's also got a big heart.
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    At the very least, Conquistador's acceptance of player failure makes it possible to experience its excellent writing.