8.3

1. May 31, 2013
    I've played the game for (too many) hours now- and that's the kind of game it is: highly immersive, fun and challenging. You get to KNOW your party, they have personalities and you get to like them and agonize when you loose them(or in some cases hate them and consider loosing them!). It is not perfect, no game is, but it is well thought out and well executed. And the setting is brilliant. Can we have an expansionpack please? "Visit" the Mayans perhaps? Expand
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    First of all about this game: reading. If you don't like reading and using your imagination, don't even bother since those are the two pre requisites to playing this.
    The story tells you that you're a captain and an explorer and you're off to the New World to discover everything you can, be famous and bring glory to Spain. But before any of that happens, you must choose the name, gender
    and some qualities for your conquistador (like tactics, leadership, diplomacy etc), then you must choose 10 from a lot of different characters to bring on your adventure with you. Each one of them have 3 different attributes varying from Racist to Altruistic and that affects how you play the game, since choosing, for example, all peaceful followers will make you lose morale (a very important factor in this game) each time you enter a battle you could choose not to. Low morale means the risk of mutiny and the loss of the game, making you start it all over again. So, you have to think how you'll want to play the game before you even do so when choosing your followers and their characteristics.
    But that's not the end of that, each follower have a different class, from doctor to hunter, scholar, soldier and scout and they too play differently. Doctors are used manly for heal either inside or outside the battle. Soldiers will do the heavy work and guard your camp from thieves and raiders. Each class is unique and choosing the followers atributes along with their classes greatly changes the game, making for more a lot of replayability.
    After you're through with all that you actually begin the game, but the reading and the choices never cease. Every dialogue have more than one option to play out and every choice has an impact that will last not only in your group, but how the NPCs treat you and what they talk.
    Best part about that is: the writing in this game is done very nicely. You won't be tired of reading and reading because you'll actually care about what people are telling you and since the choices last for the whole game you'll really think about what you're going to do and how it'll affect you in the long term.
    I've seem a lot of people complain about the map, since you can't zoom out enough, making it difficult to choose a good path. I agree with them, but only to an extent. I think you should be able to see more of the map, but not all of it, since it'd ruin your exploration (making it too easy) and this game is all about walking around exploring everything. Making the map easier would do this game no good.
    The cons are, in my opinion, that the game starts way too hard and, at some point, it just gets way too easy. I had to restart the game 5 times until I've learned everything I was doing wrong but, when I learned, it was just a piece of cake and not challenging at all. I'd end up with so many rations, medicine, valuables, equipment and experience that I had no idea what to do with it but stock it up. That wasn't game breaking (far from it), but something felt missing. I'll still play it on a harder difficult to see if that makes it more challenging.
    Another con is not having the option to fast forward the enemy turn. Sometimes they'd have 12 soldiers to move and I had to wait each and everyone of them before I could start playing my turn or just retreat (if I knew I wasn't going to win). It felt like a waste of time, but even that is only a minor problem that I had.
    I've spent more than 30 hours in this game and I'm looking forward to going to my second playthrough with different followers and maknig different choices.
    I recommend this game, it delivers a lot for a fair price. If this review interested you, play it.
    If reading, choosing and not so good looking graphics turn you off, then you're better off not buying this.
  3. May 30, 2013
    This game is one of those you don;t see in this age anymore.How many games of this type gives you option to choose your party,manage your party,have elements like hunting,guarding has very good AI and in some cases it can be a bit to much challenging especially for casual players,but you can modify difficulty and even on normal (and most likely on easy) its very satisfying,my point is its very in-dept strategy game and it has wide range of options both for casual and old hardcore players who were dying hard for challenge.Also you need to worry about random events like disease,you need to worry about supplies especially food,because you can't venture and explore without it and not raise rebellion among your followers and a lot more.Also story is pen 'n' paper but its written very well,its like reading good book,if you like books you will find yourself lost in very well dialogs,even if you are not fan of the books you will like it.Also there are standard perks like leadership,tactic now every one of them including diplomacy is important,because depending on which you choose it will affect your character and at the end there is moral element in the game.Graphics are nice,it keeps retro look and it still look like modern game.Music is very nice,first thing i usually do is turnoff sound in game and than launch my playlist,but not this time.There are a lot of feature and they did very good job with tutorials and tooltips so with a little of reading and watching illustration you will learn mechanics and features in no time,but will you master the game My only compliant is camera and world map.Now you can rotate camera to fit your angle,but it has limited line of sight and trees can get in the way.And world map is not detailed enough,most of the time i have to move my head really close to monitor to see patches even if i play on max resolution and compass is confusing,But you get use to it very fast so its not big deal but because of that i can't give this game 10. Expand
  4. omi
    Jun 2, 2013
    This is an excellent heroes of might and magic style game putting you in the command of an expedition team adventuring in colonization times America. Complete with turn based tactical warfare and RPG elements. It is quite complex due to moral choices you make on game events which may effect party members morale inadvertently. are you pious, racist open minded all that take into account.
  5. Aug 5, 2013
    This game should be getting more press. It was the most interesting indie title-- easily on par in terms of content, quality, writing, music, and concept-- with any recent AAA title, actually-- I've played in years. I am thirty hours in, just got to Mexico, and I'm not even close to bored. I love TBS and rpg games and this game blends those concepts fluidly and with an artistry that is rare in the cookie cutter mass produce winning formula marketplace-- the game easily deserves a 9.5. Rock solid, intelligent, and informative to boot. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    Very refreshing and has the classic feel at the same time. Hardcore strategy and rpg fans will love this. Characters interactions are interesting. Exploration is decent. Choices matter(a thing absent in modern rpg games). All this makes the game totally worth every dollar.
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    I've never played a game like Expeditions: Conquistador before, either in its genre or in the historical setting. I was leery of the game simply due to the setting the Spanish conquests were brutal and to take control of a party of conquistadores worried me. Luckily, the developers managed to pull it off. You can play more peacefully, but you'll pay for it your party members have traits (such as racist, proud, etc) and these traits impact their reactions to your decisions. I opted to not kill a native and my proud and racist followers lost morale, while my pious followers gained some.

The graphics and camera display are a bit wonky, but the battles have the best graphics. My favorite scene thus far comes in an ambush in an old ruins you have to fight your way through rooms of natives and the mix of water, torches, and cave really lend itself well to the presentation.

It's hard to summarize all this game does well, but essentially it offers a very engaging story where you becomes attached to your characters and their traits. It's fun to explore Hispaniola and Mexico in this setting and the fact that losing a battle doesn't mean you have to begin a new means that even the worst players can still proceed through the excellent story.

Play on easy at first with tutorials, then switch to normal or higher without. I had a frustrating, two-hour campaign that ended in my party mostly dying and saw the rest mutiny, but with a little more care I have managed to hunt, camp, and manage the morale of my team well. Except for that lone pious, racist nun...I'm trying to decide if I'll just try to kill her off or placate her.
  8. May 31, 2013
    Haven't played a game this entertaining and addictive in a very long time. Well done in every respect. We need more games like Expeditions: Conquistador.
  9. May 30, 2013
    Just got the game earlier today. This game seems to be a smart, very well done indie game. As with most indies, graphics aren't the selling point, but aren't bad considering. So far, it plays like a well done historical RPG with turn based combat, character development (for both the main character and the members of his/her party).
    If you are looking for a lot of special effects and
    over the top action, keep looking. If you want a deep, well thought out indie turn based RPG, this is definitely worth a try (especially if you value realism/history).
    Don't expect a AAA style release, but then the price reflects it's non AAA status.
  10. Dec 28, 2013
    I think the writing and personalities are the strongest points in this game, it is very nicely done. From what I've seen so far, and I've barely gotten to the mainland, the player's choices aren't world changing but it's situation changing and satisfying when things go your way. The game is very difficult if you don't have the "perfect" setup which I suppose I haven't. I get robbed all the time because I seem to have too few guards and scouts when I camp which in turn leads to valuables disappearing all the time. I actually appreciate the difficulty of this game, and have tailored my own difficulty which also makes the game harder than "default" as my soldiers gets injured quite frequently, and they even die. When someone dies I almost mourn them, because the interaction with the expedition members is quite deep in this game. Since I didn't pick complete a-holes to begin with, I've gotten to know quite a few good people in my expedition. If you like deep roleplaying and strategic turn based combat, this is exactly what you get here. If I could use my own character in combat as well, and that the itemization was a little bit more detailed, I'd given the game 10/10. Expand
  11. Nov 13, 2013
    Normally I don't review games or movies, bur this game clearly calls for a rousing review. I just love this game. It's challenging, it's fun, it's engaging. The writing is exceptional, the story is great, the music is marvellous and the art is good in a very retro-feeling-way. Yes, there is a fair amount of micro-management, but thats OK with me, and a lot of it can be automated.
    I don't
    understand why this game is so little known imo it's one of the best games this year. I'm on my 2. playthrough this time as a mean conquistadora and I'm having a ball. I just want to know when the next Expeditions game is available sign me up! Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    Very nice game all around, good storyline, true morale choices, interesting characters and set up, funny combat and exploration, varied quests, not bad graphics, you will learn a lot about that era from this game, in the end you will feel like a conquistador discovering and exploring a new world.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    Interesting mix of genres and almost unexplored setting for a game, Expeditions: Conquistador is a breath of fresh air. Tactical turn-based combat, resource management and CYOA-lite adventure segments with far reaching consequences. Although most profoundly indie release, the game feels professionally finished. A future add-on campaign that'd allow the developers refine their concept further would be most welcome. Even in it's current state, the game provides great value for discerning PC gamers. Expand
  14. Oct 13, 2013
    A extremely well written and mature game. Lots of moral decisions which influences your party members morale as well the course of the story. The battles are well done, with a fairly clever AI. A hidden gem and masterpiece of a game.
  15. Jun 5, 2013
    Absolutely great bang for your buck. If you're into isometric strategy (X-Com, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics) you're going to like this game. No reason not to pick this up.
  16. Aug 4, 2014
    I really enjoy this game. I have not played any other game that I can think of that has the same subject matter. It also explore something most/all games shy away from, racism.
    It plays out kind of like DnD. It is a turn based tactics game, and plays out in a more complex manner than you initially give it credit for. The 'dialogue' in it is also amazing. There are lots of side
    conversations, many of which affect how your followers view you.
    My only real complaint with this game is that it is not voice acted, but this is only a small complaint, and this being an indie developer there is no way they could have done a great job with all the voice acting. (There is a lot of dialogue in this game). So they likely chose to not voice act it to keep the quality up.
  17. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will not pretend that Expeditions: Conquistador is a perfect game, but it is a good one, and at twenty dollars you'll be getting your money's worth and then some.

The game, in a nutshell, is a mix between the older "Heroes of Might and Magic" games and the "Fire Emblem" series. An overworld traversed by turns is explored to discover resources and activate interactive events (roleplaying opportunities, choose-your-own-adventure style decision points, and battles). Resource and party management between turns (camping) add some important flavor to the game. Turn based battles occur on a hex grid populated by your individual party members and various obstacles (some artificially set by you and your enemies). A basic leveling and customization system alters your character's and party's performance and abilities, both in the overworld and the battlefield. Two semi-linear campaigns (variable outcomes, but always the same general direction) guide you through the game without locking you into events until their respective endgames.

This game has some minor flaws. Certain random events can become tedious or seem frustratingly unfair (e.g. a poisonous spider biting your primary hunter or guard can lead to near disaster early in the game and will always be annoying later). The computer's in-battle path assignments are inefficient and occasionally suicidal, forcing you to micromanage your soldiers' movements space by space in close quarters. The coding of the game is not it's strength: the whole affair is a bit of a memory hog for what it's doing.

But these things only lose the game one point out of the ten that it's strength lends it.

The game's true strength is in it's writing and in the interconnectivity of the systems described above coming together to create an engaging, sometimes engrossing, atmosphere. The story, especially for the first campaign, is wonderful. Characterizations are strong throughout the game, including in your own party. Descriptions are short, yet often brilliant, simply painting a picture in your mind.

Even better, this writing is typically accompanied by choices: conversation options, command and action decisions and the like, that will have real consequences for you and your companions. Some will change your individual party members' morals. Some will change your reputation with local factions, which can alter the prices of gear, food, etc. all leading back to your party's fighting capabilities and moral. Some options will only be available if you or party members have sufficient skill. Some will be available, but will only be SUCCESSFUL if you or party members have sufficient skill; a bad call can lead to failure, injuries, and at critical junctures, deaths.

The most heartbreaking moment in my first playthrough came near the end of the first campaign when a certain party member is kidnapped to be offered up as sacrifice to a cannibal god. This is part of the story and will always happen. But what happened next was entirely on me. Through my prior actions and my inexperience with the various systems, I found myself charging to her rescue COMPLETELY UNPREPARED, and I paid for it. The follower was killed in the disastrously commanded rescue attempt, another was wounded, and that wound festered and killed them because I had failed to stock up my medicine. The expedition was dejected at the tragic losses, and so was I because I saw in retrospect that it had been my own decisions which had ultimately led to these horrible events. Horrible events written, I might add, in the same incredible prose as the rest of the game.

But that's what's so great about this game. I could go on, but in short, the manner in which every part of the game affect every other part ultimately serves to add to the writing, the most incredible part by far, and make you feel as if you are truly experiencing an adventure-exploration story with real characters that you care about. If recent blockbuster AAA titles have left you feeling that you are playing a movie, this game will have you feeling that you're playing one of the best page turners you've ever read.

Play it.
  18. Aug 17, 2013
    I bought this game because I saw someone on Twitch.tv playing it, it looked like a Fire emblem style game but with a more comprehensive grid. I was not disappointed, this game is amazing, better than a lot of games that came out recently. There are, like all games, a few bugs that are kind of annoying but the game play, story, and different ways to play just make the game so much fun!
  19. Sep 22, 2013
    Bought this on a whim, turns out it's one of the most well conceived tactical games I've ever played, similar to Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3, but much lower key, and with a real-world setting.

Every aspect of the game works together to create a cohesive whole; travelling affects resources; resources affect combat effectiveness; combat success or failure affects your party's morale and
    effectiveness and their injuries; injuries prevent characters from assisting while travelling.

The style is beautiful, and you'll play out your tactical battles on some carefully constructed battlefields. Tactical options, though simple, have cleverly thought through effects, and plenty of variety.

If you have any interest in turn-based games of any kind; get this and enjoy it. If you don't, maybe this will be a great kickstart to a long life of enjoying them. Fantastic game and well worth your time. The only downside I have with it is the fact that it is so time consuming. Tactical battles can take a little too long, so 1 point off for that. Otherwise, it's brilliant.
  20. Jan 12, 2014
    A "Turn based strategy RPG"; this game has a heroes/disciples style travel and tactical combat system, combined with rpg elements of a progressing party (a la X-com) and with a focus on story and choicemaking (a la fallout, etc). This ambitious combination, furthermore, is executed within a very accurate (well, mostly) historical setting and a very intriguing narrative. The immersion level of this game is simply amazing, and the fun factor of its gameplay parallels this quality. It has been a while since I've seen one from the "tactical RPG" genre this well executed, so I'm not kidding when I say this game deserves to be in the same shelves with the classics of the genre. (Yes, I've got the original fallout(s), and x-com in mind).

The soundtrack is addictive, the graphics are immersive, and the story is very interesting. From romance options to various decisions you make, choices have important effects on both your followers (the party) and the shaping of the story - which in turn increases the immersion further.

I really can't find much of a negative aspect to say. Bugs are near non-existent, replayabilty is there. The only thing I can think of for the moment, and that is only for the Steam version, is that the (Steam) achievement system is somewhat bugged, resulting in achivements sometimes not registering until you reboot the game. I'm pretty sure it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

One last thing to mention (again, for the Steamers): while I was browsing the forums for this game, I saw that the developers are very active; they engage in discussions, provide help and are awesome people.

I find it surprising actually that this game is so underrated and under-heard of as the awesome game it is.
  21. Nov 24, 2013
    I really like this game. It's a great combination of RPG and Strategy gameplay elements.

As the name of the game suggests, the background is the historical event of the Spaniard expedition to America. The game offers quite a wide spectrum of morale choices. You can be the cruel conquistador who burns the villages and kill the natives in the name of god and the Spanish crown, you could
    choose to be the diplomatic scholar type, who comes to learn about the culture of the natives, or any path in between those extreme agendas.

Either way, the game is designed to challenge your decisions. While you start with a group of loyal followers, they won't necessarily stay loyal, as every decision you make may affect their morale. Therefore, it's important to give it some thought when choosing people for your party and try to minimize potential conflicts, which will arise very often during the game. While some people give most of the weight to military and tactical skills when choosing party members, I think the characters of the people you choose is just as important, if not more.

There's a lot more to write and explain, but trying and game and figuring it out for yourself would probably be a better use of your time. Expeditions: Conquistador is a great game, don't let it slip away!
  22. Mar 3, 2014
    This is a lovely game. It mixes perfectly strategy, roleplaying and exploration. The creators of this game did an original masterpiece with a small budget.

I like how exploration works, the variety of missions, the history, party management, and a big etcetera.

I hope developers do a new game in the same setting.
  23. May 28, 2014
    The best turn-based strategy game since Jagged Alliance 2. In this game you have a squad just like in JA2.
    Your actions on events changes party members opinion for you. They have to eat and sleep. You're gonna read a lot conversations. Game is very hard. This is maybe the only bad thing about the game.
    It's very hard make a tbs game with history theme. They succeeded. As a tbs game
    fanatic, i must say we need more games like this. Expand

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Expedition: Conquistadors is very entertaining strategic role playing game, about an interesting subject, too [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    A very good game, with interesting narration, nice characters and some solid mechanics. It's got its limits and you can clearly see the small budget, but it's also got a big heart.
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    At the very least, Conquistador's acceptance of player failure makes it possible to experience its excellent writing.