E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy PC

6.8

1. Aug 20, 2011
    I tried to like this game, I played it for about 7 hours then gave up in disgust. This game has so much promise but almost all of it is squandered. The art direction and music are both great, unfortunately the following things completely ruined the experience for me (and I'm somebody who's willing to look past a few rough edges).

-BUGGY, from the game crashing if two people in co-op talk

-BUGGY, from the game crashing if two people in co-op talk to the same npc simultaneously to having enemies spawn in the floor and just shoot me through it, there are lot of bugs in this game.

-Awful localization. The english is bad enough that it actually hurts the story of the game. Sometimes NPCs talk to you like they're your worst enemy, sometimes they talk like a surfer from the 90s, almost never do they speak in a way that immerses you in the setting.

-Hacking minigame is just bad. I don't know how to convey in words how frustrating it was.

-Combat is just bad. Enemies seems to have omnipresent knowledge of where you are at all times. They will stream at you single file for minutes on end while you murder them like cattle on a conveyor belt. Your npc allies are incredibly stupid, they do a better job of blocking doorways than they do of helping you in any meaningful way.

Unless you absolutely must play a cyberpunk game this very instant, I recommend staying far far away from this game.
  2. Dec 4, 2011
    Pros: It's beautiful. The Music is nice and soothing. Source Engine = Runs well
    ===========================================
    Cons: I played it for 7 hours and I can honestly say that no more than maybe 5 minutes were actually some kind of fun. The mission objectives send you from one remote corner of the map to the other, without making much sense but to draw you into some random
    Pros: It's beautiful. The Music is nice and soothing. Source Engine = Runs well
    ===========================================
    The mission objectives send you from one remote corner of the map to the other, without making much sense but to draw you into some random gunfights.
    The enemies may be miles away, but they hit you with absolute accuracy, sometimes before you see them, making you wonder what the heck hit you.
    Problem here is that the gameplay is simply annoying not challenging as it should be.
    The hacking minigame is confusing at first, I never really understood it, but I found out that the sequence SHIELD, OVERFLOW, ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK and so on produces the best results.
    But the worst aspect of the game is the save point system. The save points are only at the end of a mission, and some missions are quite long!
    Not being able to save for sometimes more than a hour is absolutely killing this game. You won't risk anything just in order to survive, spoiling all the fun that's still left.
    Because of that, I set the game difficulty down to "Chicken" (which equals to Normal in any other game)
  3. Aug 20, 2011
    Disappointment with a capital D.

This game was pitched as a deus ex like cyberpunk masterpiece. Instead it has clunky gameplay and some plain awful design choices. Moral choices come down to 'flatten this city with nukes, or oh wait you don't have a choice, flatten it...' As someone else pointed out the hacking mini"game" is not only time consuming and flow breaking but also impossible
    Disappointment with a capital D.

As someone else pointed out the hacking mini"game" is not only time consuming and flow breaking but also impossible to do if you're playing single player as an enemy or stream of enemies will figure out where you are (using their spidey sense I suppose) and come savage you while you're trying to out click a computer.

Speaking of multiplayer, the multiplayer co-op took a hack video from youtube to get up and running and even required fiddling around on the console. Not cool.

I'm patient and put up with this for about 8 hours, but I just can't look past the crappy hacking mechanics, streams of enemies that magically know where you are, turrets that one shot you, losing attributes when you die to said turrets, people that talk like they have only seen 3 English movies and all the other crap to get to what ever story they were trying to tell.
  4. Dec 23, 2011
    Hard to look at and even harder to play, this indie title really dropped the ball in alot of areas. The rough edges (VERY rough in this case) and poor grammar could have been dealt with if the game was actually fun to play. Combat is horrible, the stealth is extremely buggy, just like the rest of the game, and, again, the very poor translation into English really hurt this game. Even ifHard to look at and even harder to play, this indie title really dropped the ball in alot of areas. The rough edges (VERY rough in this case) and poor grammar could have been dealt with if the game was actually fun to play. Combat is horrible, the stealth is extremely buggy, just like the rest of the game, and, again, the very poor translation into English really hurt this game. Even if your looking for an under-the-radar FPS to play, I cannot recommend buying this game, even with the very low price tag. Like Philodox said, stay far, far, far away from this game. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    I got this for 2.5 euros in a steam offer. I had it in my wishlist for ages but I didn't play it for more than 3 hours. First of all this game drops you into the middle of a story but your character suffers from amnesia so I guess that explains the feeling I get from not understanding a single thing. Then you get to the unnecessarily huge headquarters where you go to the archives to readI got this for 2.5 euros in a steam offer. I had it in my wishlist for ages but I didn't play it for more than 3 hours. First of all this game drops you into the middle of a story but your character suffers from amnesia so I guess that explains the feeling I get from not understanding a single thing. Then you get to the unnecessarily huge headquarters where you go to the archives to read badly translated texts about the history of the world. This takes some time but if you are really a fan of role playing then you obviously have to do this before making decisions about who to betray and who to help (although you already have to make such decisions even before you get a chance to reach the archives! Anyway then the drop you to the city for a mission. Terrible. Terrible. I sneak slowly behind a wall while watching through a scope. Well guess what. An enemy on the other side of the road, like 500m away instantly sees me and starts running to me. Do they have cameras around their heads or something? With motion detection? Also enemies keep respawning and come right to you. Also the hacking game is really boring and hard. At least put some bars to watch instead of numbers. I can't keep my eyes on 6 numbers at the same time while pointing my mouse onto the correct button! I was expecting something like Dystopia's hacking system.

I was hoping to see something like Dystopia when I got this game but with a more open world approach. The ideas put in the game are really great. But the implementation is bad. I am dropping this game the same day that I bought it...
  6. Aug 29, 2011
    Started to play this game but couldn't get into it. The beginning was confusing and lacking in a "tutorial level" that guides you through the simple pieces of the game. It would have taken a short level or sandbox to clear up simple controls, how to use and change upgrades and skills but instead they throw you to the wolves and make you watch a comprehensive tutorial video session inStarted to play this game but couldn't get into it. The beginning was confusing and lacking in a "tutorial level" that guides you through the simple pieces of the game. It would have taken a short level or sandbox to clear up simple controls, how to use and change upgrades and skills but instead they throw you to the wolves and make you watch a comprehensive tutorial video session in your spare time. Frustrated. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    This game is extremely overrated.

This game is extremely overrated.

This is supposed to be a cyberpunk of sort, but the best strategy still is "shoot everything that moves". Sure, you may hack your way into the enemy's mind, too bad the hacking minigame is too slow for a game where every enemy keeps respawning around you. So, let's say you're hidden in a dark dark alley and start hacking. I don't know if all respawning enemies are already aware of your presence or they just have a jedi like intuition, point is unless you're using the cloak ability anything can see you, even when they're too far for you to see them yourself. So now you're under attack. What would you do? Of course, close the hacking window and shoot back! TOO BAD pressing "esc" brings you back to the pause menu. You have to click on the X button in the upper right to close the window. But that's not all for clunky controls: you have to manually reload most of your weapons by hitting "r", even when they're completely empty, which is exactly the kind of useless mechanic that adds nothing to the gameplay and only makes it more frustrating. Some psy powers look a bit clunky as well, but at least they work. Speaking of clunky: this game could have used a basic tutorial corridor. You will of course see a few messages on screen, and these messages will point you to watch the video tutorials.

It's also supposed to be an rpg. Enjoy your lack of any kind of map then! Oh, and did I mention that your "base" is a ridiculously huge, scarcely lit area? You will need 2 to 4 minutes to reach a vendor. Graphics: here is another flaw. Having either almost monochome environments or huge, dimly lit areas mostly painted in shades of orange and teal gets boring very soon, even sooner that being killed by instagib weapons every now and then. Beside, you can't actually hide in a dark corner unless you already are completely invisible, so there's no excuse for the chronic lack of actual light. Word of notice here: if you actually LIKE orange and teal rubbish, as some people actually do, consider this a 4/10.

So here's the thing with this game: if this was an half life 2 mod, I'd rate it 6/10 which could easily become 8/10 if someone decided to improve this game and polish all those clunky mechanics. This however isn't a mod, I actually had to pay 20â
  8. Oct 23, 2011
    This is simply unplayable. The buggiest Source Mod i've ever seen. Crashes, character resets, bugged scripts that make company impossible to complete. Unpolished models and ugly textures. Developers just released alpha version, sold some copies and now forgot about this nightmare. They promised patch and DLC 2 months ago and we still got nothing. Multiplayer is dead. The whole game is dead.
  9. Nov 27, 2011
    I tried liking this game, but I just can't. It has too many flaws. A buggy stealth system, enemies that constantly know where you are once they've seen you and no explanation for the custom system they implemented. You can do research, augment parts of your body similarly to Deus Ex, hack nearby turrets, people with cybernetic brains(which is everyone) and steal from ATM machines. ButI tried liking this game, but I just can't. It has too many flaws. A buggy stealth system, enemies that constantly know where you are once they've seen you and no explanation for the custom system they implemented. You can do research, augment parts of your body similarly to Deus Ex, hack nearby turrets, people with cybernetic brains(which is everyone) and steal from ATM machines. But nothing is explained to you. You have to figure it all out yourself.

It might seem fun at first, but after the first couple of times about 10 enemies swarm on you, it really gets frustrating. It's easy to see why there is so little online action for this game. Everyone but the most hard-core RPG lovers will abandon this game after the first level or 2.
  10. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel that i pay an Alpha version, so many bugs keep me away from being able to play it in good condition. After hours of trying it, levelling my character, i had the worst bug ever character level reset. Painful.
  11. Mar 30, 2012
    More than anything it's a missed opportunity. Everything about the same seems to weep "We couldn't finish this game, so we kicked it out the door as a value title." The textures and landscape of the world are threadbare and boring -- while many of the characters in contrast look tremendously polished. The tutorial is ineffectual and for a title with such a vast suite of features that'sMore than anything it's a missed opportunity. Everything about the same seems to weep "We couldn't finish this game, so we kicked it out the door as a value title." The textures and landscape of the world are threadbare and boring -- while many of the characters in contrast look tremendously polished. The tutorial is ineffectual and for a title with such a vast suite of features that's really a shame... If you're like me you'll fiddle with the parts you can understand then ultimately push it aside for something more rewarding, less frustrating, or even just for something that might seem like it has a unified art style. Skip this title -- it's not worth it even for $10. Could have been SOOOOO much more. A shame. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    When I first watched the game's trailer, I was sure I'd found my next hundred hours of gaming.
    The disappointment felt when I got my hands on the game was bad. I played it for several hours, in the begginning it's nice, the music, the atmosphere, just great... But, after the introduction, everything changes. It's not a hard game, far from it, but it gets really repetitive after some time. Things like that enormous city makes the game really frustrating between missions. The city could have half of it's size and it'd still be more than enough for that handful of npcs and interactive objects (armory and etc), lots of boring walking.

While in missions, you realize that not all strategies are really balanced, 'shoot if it moves' proves itself really great while 'sneak n hack' usually doesn't. Problems with the hacking mini-game and some pseudo-choices makes the game frustrating.
    The more you play the game, the more it'll look like a FPS with a little customization, it really relies on it's shooter side more than on its RPG side. Enemies see really far, but the shooting system has really low spread, allowing you to sharpshoot them from far even with a pistol. The game's 'inventory' is really bad.
    When you have an objective, the screen shows a small indicator at it's position, visible from anywhere, it's a feature I've already seen in other games and personaly consider it awesome. The problem here is the lack of a good mapping so we can see a possible route (not only the direction).

I don't think bugs should get into a review, unless they affect the gameplay and this is the case. The game has it share of bugs.

Pros:
    Highly customizable character
    The game's interface is great, takes long to get used to it, but it grants easy access to almost all features (not that you'll really use all of them)
    The art is really good, adds some immersion

Tip: Do not count on stealth nor on melee.
  13. Apr 22, 2012
    An absolute travesty. It's a damn shame too cuz it has so much potential. This has to be the most poorly optimized source engine game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. I have an Athlon dual core @ 3.3 ghz (stock), Nvidia GTS 250, and 4 gigs of RAM. I can run Half Life 2 at a constant 60 fps V-synced with maximum settings at 1920 by 1080 resolution and it wouldn't matter how muchAn absolute travesty. It's a damn shame too cuz it has so much potential. This has to be the most poorly optimized source engine game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. I have an Athlon dual core @ 3.3 ghz (stock), Nvidia GTS 250, and 4 gigs of RAM. I can run Half Life 2 at a constant 60 fps V-synced with maximum settings at 1920 by 1080 resolution and it wouldn't matter how much crap was going on in the game, it would never drop below 60 fps. But this game... I have to drop my resolution to 1440 by 900 and a bunch of other settings just to get 60 frames at the HQ. When I go to any place where enemies are, then my framerate drops dramatically. I'm talking down to like 20 fps. Makes it unplayable. To make things even worse, it has some nasty bugs still left in it even after having been patched. Poor english translation too. It's been about 6 months since the developers have done anything to improve it, so it feels abandoned. I payed $18 at time of pre-order. If I had payed $10 for it, I might've given it a 5/10. Expand
  14. May 2, 2013
    A good concept, but very flawed in implementation. NPC interactions left me feeling strangely disconnected from the game world, movement was simply far too slow, and enemy AI was prone to doing very odd things. Not a game I would encourage anyone to try. I only got about two hours in, before deciding it wasn't fun at all and leaving for greener pastures.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (0/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (-1)

16. Jan 31, 2014
    E.Y.E executed some elements perfectly, but sadly the awfulness shines way brighter than the greatness.
    PROS:
    +Some of the best gun-play around - it is really that good! +At being a mindless, chaotic, mayhem filled FPS (not always a bad thing by the way), it succeeds with flying colors. CONS: -The story isn't even near worth remembering: it is sadly riddled with cliches, and overall
    PROS:
    +Some of the best gun-play around - it is really that good!
    CONS:
    -The story isn't even near worth remembering: it is sadly riddled with cliches, and overall is dull.
    -They apparently used Google Translate to translate the game into English (the developers are French I believe).
    -When the gun-play bogs down - it really, REALLY bogs down.
    -All the dialogue is text based. I know this is something I would usually ignore, but they don't accompany it with any animations or even white noise, making it very boring.
    -Navigation is terrible!
    No, I would not recommend this game, but it does seem the developers have a lot of potential.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    One word is enough to describe the experience of playing E.Y.E.: variety. As an FPS/RPG hybrid, the game offers so many options for your character, from the DNA in the genes to the kind of armor worn. [February 2012]
  2. Oct 24, 2011
    It's no masterpiece, but full of surprises. It may take some time to get into the game, but the different ways to progress in the game are motivating.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    If you're bored of all those standard issue FPS games, E.Y.E. is definitely worth trying. Don't mistake this indie cyberpunk FPS for Deus Ex imitation, for it surely isn't. It has fresh ideas, vast well-designed levels, wide array of nice weapons, cybernetic skills and PSI powers and an interesting plot. The game is almost too ambitious for its own good, which makes it cumbersome at times and hard to approach. It has also some minor bugs yet to be squashed. But even with its flaws E.Y.E. is something very unique. [Oct 2011]