E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy PC

6.9

1. Dec 30, 2011
    E.Y.E. is a mixture of very good and very bad, so it scores a 5 for me. The concept is very good, though not unique. You get RPG elements of character progression and customization that are quite nice and diverse, and you get a mixture of occult and technology, which few other games offer (Clive Barker's Jericho is another). The mood is a strange brew of horror and dystopia that's wellE.Y.E. is a mixture of very good and very bad, so it scores a 5 for me. The concept is very good, though not unique. You get RPG elements of character progression and customization that are quite nice and diverse, and you get a mixture of occult and technology, which few other games offer (Clive Barker's Jericho is another). The mood is a strange brew of horror and dystopia that's well supported by an alien dialog and quirky soundtrack and it really works. The ranged weapons are very satisfying to use, being both precise and powerful. It feels right to kill someone with a single bullet instead of with a barrage that would shred an elephant. This was on the right track to becoming a very good shooter, but... the bad: It is very unstable. Performing simple things, like navigating the menus, forced me to reboot Windows 7. And I mean "big red button" shutdown, not a clean exit. I own a truckload of indie games and Source games and not one of the others does this. The interface is overly convoluted and frankly, unpleasant to use. It gets in the way of the game. Finally, the lack of polish, makes it feel more like a mod than a stand-alone game. A "version 2" of this game, with a streamlined interface and the bugs removed, is sorely needed to make it a viable contender in the shooter space. In its present state, it's a fun curiosity if you can get it on sale, but it isn't likely to make it to many people's favorites list. Expand
  2. Jun 24, 2012
    First of all I want to say that the devs have done really good job patching up this game. There are many reviews here that complain about its bugginess, but in its current state it has less bugs than most modern games. In fact I haven't encountered even one. This game has some incredible atmosphere, it sort of reminds me of Deus Ex and Metro 2033. I'm not good at pointing out the positiveFirst of all I want to say that the devs have done really good job patching up this game. There are many reviews here that complain about its bugginess, but in its current state it has less bugs than most modern games. In fact I haven't encountered even one. This game has some incredible atmosphere, it sort of reminds me of Deus Ex and Metro 2033. I'm not good at pointing out the positive sides, all I can say is that this game is well worth the money if you can just overcome its flaws. Hacking is boring, story is a mess, translation is bad, enemies spawn everywhere you can't see and can spot you from 500m away, melee feels clunky and you have to around A LOT. Inventory system also sort of forces you to use only one weapon because you can't carry enough ammo otherwise. Expand
  3. Nov 3, 2013
    If you can fight through the really weird tutorial system and feeling of "what the hell is happening?" at the beginning you have a game with real depth here. However, it being insanely text heavy and the AI being a bit punishing make it hard to fully get into. So everything is stacked against the average gamer getting into it... "What's going on? What are all these weird ass menus andIf you can fight through the really weird tutorial system and feeling of "what the hell is happening?" at the beginning you have a game with real depth here. However, it being insanely text heavy and the AI being a bit punishing make it hard to fully get into. So everything is stacked against the average gamer getting into it... "What's going on? What are all these weird ass menus and buttons? God, there's a lot of text in this game. Dammit I keep dying." yeah, it's not the best way to get people into it but fight through and there's a gem in the rough here. Expand
  4. Jan 2, 2012
    It's an interesting mix of Cyberpunk FPS and RPG, with an upgrade system similar but far more complex than Deus Ex: HR. Where it falls apart though is in game direction (starting out you get no primer at all and are left on your own to figure out what the hell is going on, which could take a few hours or some heavy googling), the localization (language) is very Korean MMO-esque which alsoIt's an interesting mix of Cyberpunk FPS and RPG, with an upgrade system similar but far more complex than Deus Ex: HR. Where it falls apart though is in game direction (starting out you get no primer at all and are left on your own to figure out what the hell is going on, which could take a few hours or some heavy googling), the localization (language) is very Korean MMO-esque which also causes the story to falter, menus within menus with literally no explanation when you first play of what the hell is what.

Then there's random stuff like why the hell are there monsters and thugs running around the streets and all shooting at me? Couldn't the monsters at least attack the thugs? Plus, the Enemy AI is a little TOO GOOD. You can't even hide yourself inside a building or room. They will come straight for you even if they start out on the other side of the screen (300+ yards away).

If you're a Deus Ex or Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi fan this is a game you will want to like but this really feels like it was prime for Beta and maybe close to release but right now...definitely not release ready.

If you can look past all of that it's still not a bad buy for under 9 bucks.
  5. Nov 18, 2013
    I went into this game trying to like it but it falls short in a lot of departments.

When you start the game you're thrown into the story with no explanation of anything, and unlike other amnesia type stories; this one doesn't later explain itself. Bits of back story and lore are dropped here and there, but nothing is fully explained in the game. One of the first things I noticed about this games were the odd translations, they aren't terrible, but definitely not good. I'm guessing numerous things got mixed up during translations though, because the dialogue of the NPCs very heavily. One minute the dialogue is believable and seems to fit the lore, the next it seems like it's made by a juvenile 14 year old.

Translations and story aside, the gameplay is a below average with enemies that wait in place for you to headshot them. Enemy variety is low, and even when you fight a different enemy you use the same tactics as they don't offer a new challenge. The level designs are bland, with no motivation to explore because there aren't any items or interesting locales to find. Completing quests don't feel as rewarding as other games, as you aren't rewarded any new weapons or gear, just money for high priced items.

Overall the game falls short in a lot of categories, it's playable, but not really enjoyable. If it was more story driven with better dialogue I could see this game being a 7 at least.
  6. Sep 8, 2011
    Recall Limbo. The devs drop you into a game with no instructions and no plot, but it's easy to figure out. E.Y.E. does the exact opposite. They stuff you in the middle of a plot with plenty of strange dialogue and give you twenty-three videos as a tutorial, but the game remains obtuse. I've played plenty of RPGs and FPSs from Far Cry to Witcher 2 to Battlefield 2, and I still had no ideaRecall Limbo. The devs drop you into a game with no instructions and no plot, but it's easy to figure out. E.Y.E. does the exact opposite. They stuff you in the middle of a plot with plenty of strange dialogue and give you twenty-three videos as a tutorial, but the game remains obtuse. I've played plenty of RPGs and FPSs from Far Cry to Witcher 2 to Battlefield 2, and I still had no idea which buttons I was expected to press. A previous reviewer stated he was able to skip all the videos and jump right in. I imagine he's a genius, spent a half-hour (or more) pressing buttons to see what they do, or's lying.

Aesthetically, the game is "a bad kind of dark." Often, you're in dark areas with poor light, and ugly textures. It's generally excusable when using a high-end game engine, as the technology compensates. However, I guess this is a taste preference, because others have praised the game's aesthetics.

Psi abilities can be fun to use and watch, but using the standard weapons is very dull. The AI itself is very dull and unrefined, which is probably why I was bored with combat. They run right at you after spawning from the ground, do their attack, and die (not necessarily in that order). That said, enemy AI is much more interesting than friendly AI dialogue, which I guess was not originally written in English. It shows, though it doesn't excuse the obtuse characters who lack depth and development.

However, while I was bored out of playing the game to the end, there're a LOT of ideas in this game I hope will be further looked into. I actually thought the hacking minigame was a bit fun (... out of combat) -- it's sort of like an old-school RPG game where you have basic stats displayed and use your abilities to create a weakness and attack before the object you're hacking "kills" you. Research was fascinating, and I think a far superior mechanism than how the latest Mass Effect handled research (remember? scan, scan, scan.... eyes droop.... Oh - something to click on for the nth time for x resources! ..... scan, scan, scan......). Someone previously wrote about how the game's research mechanic is most similar to X-COM's - and that isn't the only influence it had. X-COM was the first game I played with the inventory management scheme as EYE has, similar to how Res. Evil 4's works.

Overall, I liked a lot of the mechanics I saw at play in EYE, but I didn't enjoy the package enough to tolerate more than a few hours. A well-funded and long-developed sequel may produce the gem whose sparkle is occasionally glimpsed at, and that's the only reason why I'd recommend buying the game.
  7. Jan 30, 2012
    This game has got lots of potential. The lore, the idea, the setting, even the role-playing system is beautiful. However, most of that is gone once you finally realize this is a game you'll work hard to understand.

The font of the text is ridiculously small. And you can't even see it on a white background! Essentially you'll have to constantly make your way towards the screen to read it. This isn't so hurting to the story as the fact that the English is almost non-existent. Eventually you will stop caring for the plot.

Enemies will spawn endlessly. At this moment immersion is gone as you put them down one by one and have no sense of achievement from any kill - two more will replace the guy anyways! There's no save option. You could be doing a mission for an extremely long time before you're done with it and if you quit your game, you'll have to restart it! So in conclusion, try this game out for some fun and if you're able to comprehend with some of the mechanics and have patience, but if not, don't approach it.
  8. Dec 27, 2011
    There are many excellent things about EYE. The novel death system really does make you take care and adds an extra level of tension to the action. When you see a new unknown enemy on the horizon you don't want to charge in and see if it will own you because there's no classic save/load function as such.

The visual theme is also unique. Being an Indie game it couldn't spend the big moolah on shiny graphics, so went for the Source engine and uses a distinctive grungy techno style. It works and rather then the graphics holding back the game, they become one of it's plus points.

the MEATYNESS of the weapons and character movement is also impressive. You really do feel like a cyborg made of metal and bullets.

I've heard reports of bugs, crashes and performance issues from other reviews but after 15 hours of play I've not come across a single one. This game makes many big budget titles look like bug-ridden crash-fests (but then I guess may of them are..)

Down sides include some slightly repetitive gameplay and a horrific minigame experience that is often neccesary to do repeatedly, but overall this in one of the best indie games out there and a good game in it's own right.
  9. Aug 11, 2011
    EYE suffers from too broad a scope. The result is a loss of focus and features and mechanics not implemented or executed as well as they could have been. For example, similar to X-COM, EYE allows players to research different weapons and technology, allocating a number of scientists to research a particular item over time. When complete, the researched item awards certain benefits orEYE suffers from too broad a scope. The result is a loss of focus and features and mechanics not implemented or executed as well as they could have been. For example, similar to X-COM, EYE allows players to research different weapons and technology, allocating a number of scientists to research a particular item over time. When complete, the researched item awards certain benefits or unlocks new research options for the player. The game, however, never explains what benefits each piece of research will yield leaving the player to blindly throw money into items he can only hope will provide benefits to his particular character class or style of play. Players can also invest in passive bonuses which are much better explained and therefore more relevant in sculpting a preferred play style or class. EYE features a good variety of weapons, skills, and abilities that truly provide a breadth of options in how players approach the game. Do you hack the cyberbrain of an enemy trooper, possess him, and force him to kill his comrades? Do you use PSI powers to create clones of yourself and assault head on? Do you cloak, stealthily moving to high ground to pick off enemies with a silenced sniper rifle? Do you teleport into their ranks, mercilessly cutting them apart with a two-handed sword? This variety, coupled with the open ended level design, provide a great deal of freedom in how players decide to approach the game and is perhaps EYE's best feature. However, the only introduction players receive to this vast swath of game mechanics is a pull up menu of tutorial videos. The videos explain the basics of every feature, but don't answer every question, leaving players to discover much on their own. This can be frustrating at first and may lead to confusion about how to level a character toward a specific class or play style or what certain attributes do. Another excellent feature is character continuity. The profile players create for the single player campaign is the same character players use in multiplayer. Of course, players also have the option of creating a separate profile just for multiplayer if they so desire. This means a player with a level 20 character can play the campaign cooperatively with his friend's level 1 character. Coop play is also a blast and best with 2 or 3 players though the game support up to 4. It's great fun coordinating how to tackle mission objectives with your friends based on each player character's strengths. The singleplayer campaign is short, but multiple endings may draw players back for another run. When you complete the game, it starts of from the beginning, but you retain your items, money, character level, and stats. I don't know, however, if the game automatically raises the difficulty for the new game. Expand
  10. Dec 23, 2011
    Good Game but a little bit buggy
    Good Game but a little bit buggy
    i need to close the game and start it again coz the armory is not working and one time i spawn up to another player and we wasnt able to move but its a good game because it has a lot of stuff to do and u get a lot of freedom its like deus ex +borderlands + fallout3 ! its very hard to master and the bad thing is even if u ware a warrior u need to level up the hacking skill to to do all the missions and u will get a different missions if u restart the game :D
    its very good game and i have a lot of fun with it its fully co op BUT if u buy it for coop make sure u play with friends coz there are a lot of stupid ppl log in to ur server just to hit ur allies and then u need to restart the missions from the beginning
  11. Sep 1, 2011
    Ok, here is my first review on metacritic. Without any further ado, letâ
  12. Aug 10, 2011
    An Ambitious but flawed game, E.Y.E. has a strong artistic vision, robust RPG mechanics, and old-school run-n-gun shooting (and stabbing and PSI powering and hacking...). Though it's marred by numerous flaws, notably a complete lack of introduction to the game systems, it's still a compelling game with seamlessly integrated single and multiplayer. If you're a Blade Runner fan or a devoteeAn Ambitious but flawed game, E.Y.E. has a strong artistic vision, robust RPG mechanics, and old-school run-n-gun shooting (and stabbing and PSI powering and hacking...). Though it's marred by numerous flaws, notably a complete lack of introduction to the game systems, it's still a compelling game with seamlessly integrated single and multiplayer. If you're a Blade Runner fan or a devotee of Deus Ex or STALKER, you ought to enjoy your time with E.Y.E Expand
  13. Dec 27, 2011
    I enjoyed this game quite a lot personally. The RPG aspect of it is very good, developing your character is the best part of the game. This game does feature full co-op (big plus for me), and has nice music and atmosphere in general. My main complaint is the game is very confusing for the first few hours, just figuring out the menus and what stuff actually does is quite a chore, and theI enjoyed this game quite a lot personally. The RPG aspect of it is very good, developing your character is the best part of the game. This game does feature full co-op (big plus for me), and has nice music and atmosphere in general. My main complaint is the game is very confusing for the first few hours, just figuring out the menus and what stuff actually does is quite a chore, and the actual combat is very bland. If you are looking for just a shooter with maybe some rpg mixed in or the next Deus Ex, then this isn't the game for you, but if you want to try something different it might be worth a try. Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    Nice indie game
    i really like this kind of settings, graphics are weird (yeh it's an indie game)but somehow fitting, the world setting is damn intriguing, hard to understand at first but nice just for that reason.
    Nice indie game
    Only problem i have is with the genere this game is the feeling of hack&slash i got form it(endless respawning on some missions), i tend to play FPS if i want adrenalinic games where i shoot/slash everyone, but form an RPG i desire something different.
    Imo game is still worth a try
  15. Aug 9, 2011
    At best I find you can play it for 30 minutes at a time. After this it tends to suffer from being overly ambitious with a very hard to access player interface which often leads you to become a bit frustrated (In particular with the hacking option etc) It also requires a lot of buttons, I have an inferno mouse and still struggle to smoothly transition between a lot of the options for yourAt best I find you can play it for 30 minutes at a time. After this it tends to suffer from being overly ambitious with a very hard to access player interface which often leads you to become a bit frustrated (In particular with the hacking option etc) It also requires a lot of buttons, I have an inferno mouse and still struggle to smoothly transition between a lot of the options for your character. As well as this due to the lack of active tutorial (with on text based instruction) you often have little idea of how to level your character up or what certain aspects do

It also suffers from what a lot of indie developers fall trap to, due to the small crew working on it the graphics are very limited. And although using the source engine is very behind the times and lacks any depth of character round in more recent games.
  16. Mar 24, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game lots of replayability, and the addition Coop makes it a great buy. There are a great variety of weapons and powers, with stat requirements for each. The levels are long and quite large, but some areas can be almost impossible to bypass since a few of the mobs are unkillable and respawn too fast. There is also a problem with the line of sight of enemies, makingI really enjoyed this game lots of replayability, and the addition Coop makes it a great buy. There are a great variety of weapons and powers, with stat requirements for each. The levels are long and quite large, but some areas can be almost impossible to bypass since a few of the mobs are unkillable and respawn too fast. There is also a problem with the line of sight of enemies, making stealth almost useless. Strange story and silly dialogue may be holding the game back, but overall it is an enjoyable experience Expand
  17. Jan 19, 2013
    Where to begin? First of, I decided to give E.Y.E. a try despite an overwhelming amount of negative critic and user reviews, but it seems in the end I might have to agree with a lot of them. Although it's not a terrible game, a lot of its flaws are still way too prominent, like ugly scars. The game has some really interesting ideas and a lot of promise and potential, but most of it isWhere to begin? First of, I decided to give E.Y.E. a try despite an overwhelming amount of negative critic and user reviews, but it seems in the end I might have to agree with a lot of them. Although it's not a terrible game, a lot of its flaws are still way too prominent, like ugly scars. The game has some really interesting ideas and a lot of promise and potential, but most of it is severely under-delivered. I have respect for the developers for doing a lot of things differently to conventional methods, but this also means they delved too far into the uncharted, experimental territory, and hence some areas turned out fine and other areas were a complete mess. In addition the game feels as though it was rushed, untested, and released in the alpha/beta stage. I'm going to break it down into several aspects now. First of, it's a mix of FPS gameplay with Role-playing aspects. The FPS mechanics actually work really well. The guns are incredibly fun to use and the enemies are very responsive to being hit. Just as a simple FPS game it could've turned out quite well. The only drawback on this side perhaps would be that for some unknown reason the character never automatically reloads the gun once the clip is empty, which at times can be frustrating to the player. Now as an RPG this game was a complete disaster. Although I really enjoyed the setting and some of the locations were really beautiful and had a nice cyberpunk theme, the game really failed to immerse the player. Bad translation and very bad dialogue are some of the things that made the setting less believable (e.g. does anyone know what an "embarrassing turret" is? Because I don't). The story manages to lose your attention pretty much after the first level. I think one of the problems also is the lack of voice acting. I think for a game like this, voice acting is an absolute must. One of the fundamental problems about this game is too much text, both when speaking to NPCs or when browsing through your character skills and stats. The fact that the text is small too makes it all the more annoying. The game also plays strangely. A single player campaign plays like a multiplayer map, with both you and enemies being able to respawn multiple times. This is one of the things that really breaks the immersion as you see the same enemies keep respawning at a spawn point as soon as you turn around and just rushing at you recklessly without any tactics. In addition the levels are way too big, often requiring tonnes of pointless walking and backtracking. I literally had to use my sprint power in order to get about, or else the game was a drag. I think when playing this game, most RPG elements can be easily ignored. Just run and gun tactic the entire game will get you far. I didn't even bother much with the RPG elements. The only one you need to know is how to get weapons from the armoury and into your inventory. The weapon inventory management was pretty cool, I admit. The hacking mini-game was also an interesting and refreshing addition, although at times it felt way too random and poorly tested. Also something I've really got to mention is the fact that to resume your campaign after having quit the game is a trouble in itself. First the game loads and takes you to a portal area, and then you've got to walk to the portal and it loads again before you finally get back to where you left the campaign. Now I don't see a point of having to bring the player to the portal area and make us wait through TWO loading screens instead of ONE. That is just poor game design. Overall to summarize, E.Y.E. has a lot of potential and interesting ideas, but a lot of it is still in a very rough and unpolished state. It plays well as an FPS, but terribly as an RPG. Therefore if to go round and shoot at waves of enemies is what you're after, then you might in fact enjoy this game, but if you're expecting an immersive first-person RPG, akin to Deus Ex, then you're in for a nasty disappointment. Expand
  18. Aug 17, 2013
    Great shooter with rpg elements. Love the way the character moves and sounds, weapons are satisfying and the game is fun and satisfying. Great art direction. On the negative side the storyline and dialogue make little sense. Be prepared for running and gunning, and making shots count, though the weapons are all satisfying, and large enemy spawns. The rpg elements with cyber powers andGreat shooter with rpg elements. Love the way the character moves and sounds, weapons are satisfying and the game is fun and satisfying. Great art direction. On the negative side the storyline and dialogue make little sense. Be prepared for running and gunning, and making shots count, though the weapons are all satisfying, and large enemy spawns. The rpg elements with cyber powers and upgrades to speed, health, etc are nicely done. overall a good game with some great moments. Expand
  19. Oct 20, 2012
    The game got boring and repetitive after 4 to 6 hours of gameplay. The shooting is ok, the dynamics are fine, special cyber-powers, Leveling up, stores, etc. - all good. What the game lacks is a strong story - and the really unprofessional dialogue (or translation - go figure) kills it completely. The dialogue is artificial, the character are non existent. Thus, the game has no depth -The game got boring and repetitive after 4 to 6 hours of gameplay. The shooting is ok, the dynamics are fine, special cyber-powers, Leveling up, stores, etc. - all good. What the game lacks is a strong story - and the really unprofessional dialogue (or translation - go figure) kills it completely. The dialogue is artificial, the character are non existent. Thus, the game has no depth - and no room for players' engagement.
    Really sucks because there is huge potential which is not realized.
  20. Jul 10, 2014
    E.Y.E. is a first person futurist shooter RPG. You play a member of a cult in a dark, futuristic world. The game takes you through a series of missions, the plot develops, you kills stuff, buy better weapons, level up your character and so on. I should probably mention that I only played this co-op. Might be a completely different experience single player.

The game has a great

The game has a great atmosphere - most of it seems to take place in huge, abandoned cathedral-like structures (which fits the religious theme of the game very well). Dialogue is great - though not in the best English all the time. NPCs insult you, swear at you and blame you for anything that goes wrong. You do have the option of just shooting the NPCs, but that might bring other people's wrath upon you.

The game has no voice acting. That means you'll have to read quite a bit of text to keep up with the plot, but it also means that much more dialogue is made available.

Getting into the game is rather difficult. It requires you to pick a genome even before you get started - in short that means you'll have to read up on a bunch of different genome configurations before you're even allowed to, say, shoot a gun or run around a bit - I can see how this is frustrating to new players.

Maps are recycled into these rather generic missions that will be available after completing a map. These got frustrating rather quickly, and I only played a few of them.

Shooting works fine, though the gun balance seems lacking. Some of the heavier weapons especially seem to kill too well, compared to the lighter versions. While the game offers you the option of bringing a variety of different guns, there's really no point to it - you're limited by weight, so if you bring a shotgun and a few shells for backup it'll just mean that you have fewer rounds for whichever main gun you're using.

EYE also has a fun hacking mini game that you'll probably want to master. It's hugely stressful, requires a lot of concentration but is generally satisfying.

You'll earn money which you can spend on new weapons, skills, upgrades or research. Character building is not too exciting - mostly about finding out what you want to be good at and then spending your money to optimize that. Research if fun though - you spend money to start research on something you found, and when they're done it might give you some stat bonus.

All in all a fun game to play with friends, but too confusing at first. Lots of things lack polish, but nothing ruining the game. Atmosphere is better than the game play, but still some fun hours with a friend or two.
  21. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is difficult, painful, and repetitive, but there's something about it that keeps you playing. At times this game will annoy you immensely, especially with its system of "If you die you get an injury that ruins a good 2 hours of play-time", but its surprisingly pretty fun. The combat feels good and powerful, the ragdolls make your weapons seem like over-powered beasts at times,This game is difficult, painful, and repetitive, but there's something about it that keeps you playing. At times this game will annoy you immensely, especially with its system of "If you die you get an injury that ruins a good 2 hours of play-time", but its surprisingly pretty fun. The combat feels good and powerful, the ragdolls make your weapons seem like over-powered beasts at times, which makes it feel great to kill enemies, but at the same time the enemies are using the same guns, so you feel just as weak as they are. Ill admit that I probably had a lot more fun with this game than I should have, because when you really look at the game, its not very impressive.
    Overall i'd say this game is alright, pretty cool art-style, interesting cyber-punk kinda concept, pretty fun game-play. Mainly the problems in this game lie where its very VERY much flawed and had a lot of wasted potential. It EASILY could have been a much better game than it actually is.
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    So close to being a great game and yet so deeply flawed. E.Y.E. contains features both unique and numerous, but there's so much the developers tried to implement that a lot of it feels underdeveloped. The aesthetics, both in the environments and character models, are brilliant. The combat feels like a game from 2004 and at times reminded me of the Jedi Outcast games (the AI is pretty bad).So close to being a great game and yet so deeply flawed. E.Y.E. contains features both unique and numerous, but there's so much the developers tried to implement that a lot of it feels underdeveloped. The aesthetics, both in the environments and character models, are brilliant. The combat feels like a game from 2004 and at times reminded me of the Jedi Outcast games (the AI is pretty bad). There's some cool skills but most prove useless and are as broken as the hacking minigame. Essentially, this minigame consists of spamming the same combination of buttons repeatedly and hoping you win. It's just so messy. E.Y.E. has the potential to become a solid series and I'm keen to see what the developers do next. In the meantime though, I won't be replaying this. Expand
  23. Nov 26, 2014
    I don't usually write reviews but I just had to write one for this game. EYE is a very unique animal and never before have I seen a game that got so much right and so much wrong at the same time.
    Streum On Studios took a lot of big risks with this game. It's one of those works that disregards almost all contemporary standards and just goes its own way without thinking twice or looking back. There is an incredible amount of diverse abilities and mechanics in this game and although a lot of them have been seen before a lot of them are also completely new and absolutely brilliant.
    I'm a big fan of the whole dropped-in-with-no-explanation sublime sort of effect EYE goes for and the puzzling open ended cyclic story with important choices that greatly influence the plot really appeals to me, too. The setting is very interesting, the lore is quite deep for so short a game, and the levels are beautiful and awe inspiring -- perfectly encapsulating that "cyberpunk" atmosphere the game is known for.
    That being said, none of what I mentioned above really plays out like I described it. On paper, it sounds like the game of the decade. In reality, when you actually boot up and play the game, you'll find that what I mentioned above is more or less true but at the same time completely falls short of your expectations. That's what's precisely wrong with this game -- execution. Anyone who wants to get into game design should play this game. It's a perfect example of how to get so much right -- how to come up with such brilliant ideas -- and execute them terribly. The abilities I mentioned are completely unbalanced, the complex atmosphere I described is so extreme that you won't have the UI completely figured out until halfway into the game, you'll probably have no idea what's going on in the story until near the end of your first play through, and the dialogue translations are all around pretty terrible.
    Allow me to give an example that really defines where EYE fell short:
    The hacking system in EYE is one of the most innovative and interesting mechanics I've ever experienced in a game. You can hack anything within a relatively short range of your character, including turrets, ATM machines, doors, computers, defense systems, and almost every enemy in the game. The process of hacking a target is a little mini-game where you balance attack/defense/hp statistics against the target and attempt to deplete your target's HP. Everything -- even ATM machines -- fight back when you attempt to hack them and if your HP is depleted before your targets the result can be anything from kicking you out of the system to making your head explode.
    Let's assume you're sneaking through a locked-down sector of a city filled with federal troops and see a group of three feds around the next corner. You open up the hack menu, choose one of them as a target, and you have the option to either hack them in a number of different ways. You choose to "posses" the target and initiate the hacking sequence. After about 30 seconds you successfully hack the target and take control of their brain, switching to their view. You influence them to turn towards their buddies, raise their weapon, and fire, killing them. All the while the target screaming and shaking in opposition, trying to fight against your presence in their mind.
    It sounds like an incredible mechanic and it's easy to think how fun and satisfying it could be in a number of scenarios. Doubtlessly the whole idea is simply brilliant and unlike anything I've ever seen before. However, in reality, it's completely impractical.
    In the time it took to hack your target you could have put a bullet in each of their heads and have been halfway down the block with more experience from all three of the kills to boot. Not only that, but while you're hacking you're completely exposed and almost certain to die if an enemy walks around the corner and sees you. Any sufficiently powerful enemy worthy enough to hack onto your side has such overblown hacking statistics that you'll never be able to crack them unless you've dumped near all of your stats (acquired via experience that hacking gives you very little of) into hacking.
    Just like that this amazing mechanic is made completely obsolete, completely overshadowed by objectively better decisions. It's required at two or three points in the game to complete an objective and beyond that rarely ever useful at all.
    None the less, the game is certainly worth a play. I gave it a 7 because despite all its flaws the good parts of EYE are so good that, at least for me, they allowed me to keep playing and complete all endings for the game. Playing this game is a real trip. Sometimes you'll want to make sweet sweet love to it and other times you'll want to bash its head in with a blunt object. It's a worthwhile experience for anyone to try this game and at the time of this review it's on sale on steam for something ridiculous like 90 cents.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    One word is enough to describe the experience of playing E.Y.E.: variety. As an FPS/RPG hybrid, the game offers so many options for your character, from the DNA in the genes to the kind of armor worn. [February 2012]
  2. Oct 24, 2011
    It's no masterpiece, but full of surprises. It may take some time to get into the game, but the different ways to progress in the game are motivating.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    If you're bored of all those standard issue FPS games, E.Y.E. is definitely worth trying. Don't mistake this indie cyberpunk FPS for Deus Ex imitation, for it surely isn't. It has fresh ideas, vast well-designed levels, wide array of nice weapons, cybernetic skills and PSI powers and an interesting plot. The game is almost too ambitious for its own good, which makes it cumbersome at times and hard to approach. It has also some minor bugs yet to be squashed. But even with its flaws E.Y.E. is something very unique. [Oct 2011]