6.9

1. Jun 22, 2016
    What happens when you take a bunch of french people, give them the source engine and let them run amok with it? The result is EYE: Divine Cybermancy, a game with no limitations or respect for the rules of game design, with over the top action, incredibly in-depth, flexible and at times daunting character progression, abusable physics, insanely powerful weapons and an perplexinglyWhat happens when you take a bunch of french people, give them the source engine and let them run amok with it? The result is EYE: Divine Cybermancy, a game with no limitations or respect for the rules of game design, with over the top action, incredibly in-depth, flexible and at times daunting character progression, abusable physics, insanely powerful weapons and an perplexingly convoluted, mind-numbing narrative coupled with a generous host of bugs, 16+ player coop and generally just absolutely crazy gameplay. EYE is SO crazy that the player character has a sanity meter, and when it dips low, he can suffer vivid halucinations. EYE gives the player numerous options for negotiating its sprawling stages: Where negotiation, hacking and stealth fail, the player can employ a varying array of firearms, melee weapons, cybernetic augments and psychic powers to devastate your numerically superior but sorely outmatched foes. As you progress, even assault VTOLs and twenty-foot tall rocket-spewing psycho-deamons will not give you pause. EYE also lets you adjust not only its difficulty but the respawn rate and AI behaviors of its enemies, giving you fine control over its experience. EYE has a few major issues, most notably its poor English translation, easily (and necessarily, in my opinion) remedied by downloading and applying a fan-made translation patch, available from the steam forum. EYE was released around the same time as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, obviously to capitalize on an upswing in interest in cyberpunk games, but in truth, it is a very different beast. Where Deus Ex rewards the calculating, stealthy player who avoids the game's useless lethal weapons in favor of the almighty tranq rifle, EYE fully allows you to become an unstoppable, heavily armed and armored, posthuman super-warrior, and its setting and asthetic owes a great deal more to Warhammer 40,000 then, say, Neuromancer- amusing considering this game's developer has gone on to work on an actual 40k game, the upcoming FPS Space Hulk: Deathwing. EYE is a strange, awkward game, but well worth the price of admission. Expand
  2. Jul 18, 2015
    this is a great but underrated game it is worth the price and there are servers set up for online now you need to stick wit the game for a bit to enjoy it but once you get past the learning curve you are set I will admit that the learning curve is steeper than it needs to be because of their tutorial but just get past that and you will get a great game worth buying and playing for many hours!
  3. Jul 6, 2015
    For all the quirks and issues this game has it just drew me in and I wanted to play it. It'll take a little time to get the hang of and not die constantly but is worth it.

It has a few problems but if you can push past those I think you'll really enjoy it. Definitely one of a kind.
  4. Jun 30, 2015
    when you talk about graphic everybody is ready to say "the graphics it's not important if you have the gameplay" this is one of this cases. the story it's deep and the gamply it's difficult to learn but once mastered gives satisfaction
  5. Jan 13, 2015
    I registered just to give the score for this game I r8 10/10 because it's fun,great history,gameplay,graphics,sound and the inmersion and ambient is incredible.It's rare,as jpnole said,a rare indie gem.I love it totally.
  6. Nov 26, 2014
    I don't usually write reviews but I just had to write one for this game. EYE is a very unique animal and never before have I seen a game that got so much right and so much wrong at the same time.
    Streum On Studios took a lot of big risks with this game. It's one of those works that disregards almost all contemporary standards and just goes its own way without thinking twice or looking back. There is an incredible amount of diverse abilities and mechanics in this game and although a lot of them have been seen before a lot of them are also completely new and absolutely brilliant.
    I'm a big fan of the whole dropped-in-with-no-explanation sublime sort of effect EYE goes for and the puzzling open ended cyclic story with important choices that greatly influence the plot really appeals to me, too. The setting is very interesting, the lore is quite deep for so short a game, and the levels are beautiful and awe inspiring -- perfectly encapsulating that "cyberpunk" atmosphere the game is known for.
    That being said, none of what I mentioned above really plays out like I described it. On paper, it sounds like the game of the decade. In reality, when you actually boot up and play the game, you'll find that what I mentioned above is more or less true but at the same time completely falls short of your expectations. That's what's precisely wrong with this game -- execution. Anyone who wants to get into game design should play this game. It's a perfect example of how to get so much right -- how to come up with such brilliant ideas -- and execute them terribly. The abilities I mentioned are completely unbalanced, the complex atmosphere I described is so extreme that you won't have the UI completely figured out until halfway into the game, you'll probably have no idea what's going on in the story until near the end of your first play through, and the dialogue translations are all around pretty terrible.
    Allow me to give an example that really defines where EYE fell short:
    The hacking system in EYE is one of the most innovative and interesting mechanics I've ever experienced in a game. You can hack anything within a relatively short range of your character, including turrets, ATM machines, doors, computers, defense systems, and almost every enemy in the game. The process of hacking a target is a little mini-game where you balance attack/defense/hp statistics against the target and attempt to deplete your target's HP. Everything -- even ATM machines -- fight back when you attempt to hack them and if your HP is depleted before your targets the result can be anything from kicking you out of the system to making your head explode.
    Let's assume you're sneaking through a locked-down sector of a city filled with federal troops and see a group of three feds around the next corner. You open up the hack menu, choose one of them as a target, and you have the option to either hack them in a number of different ways. You choose to "posses" the target and initiate the hacking sequence. After about 30 seconds you successfully hack the target and take control of their brain, switching to their view. You influence them to turn towards their buddies, raise their weapon, and fire, killing them. All the while the target screaming and shaking in opposition, trying to fight against your presence in their mind.
    It sounds like an incredible mechanic and it's easy to think how fun and satisfying it could be in a number of scenarios. Doubtlessly the whole idea is simply brilliant and unlike anything I've ever seen before. However, in reality, it's completely impractical.
    In the time it took to hack your target you could have put a bullet in each of their heads and have been halfway down the block with more experience from all three of the kills to boot. Not only that, but while you're hacking you're completely exposed and almost certain to die if an enemy walks around the corner and sees you. Any sufficiently powerful enemy worthy enough to hack onto your side has such overblown hacking statistics that you'll never be able to crack them unless you've dumped near all of your stats (acquired via experience that hacking gives you very little of) into hacking.
    Just like that this amazing mechanic is made completely obsolete, completely overshadowed by objectively better decisions. It's required at two or three points in the game to complete an objective and beyond that rarely ever useful at all.
    None the less, the game is certainly worth a play. I gave it a 7 because despite all its flaws the good parts of EYE are so good that, at least for me, they allowed me to keep playing and complete all endings for the game. Playing this game is a real trip. Sometimes you'll want to make sweet sweet love to it and other times you'll want to bash its head in with a blunt object. It's a worthwhile experience for anyone to try this game and at the time of this review it's on sale on steam for something ridiculous like 90 cents.
  7. Aug 19, 2014
    Makes me want to become a homosexual and do meth.

This FPS deserves a reboot or remake, the content and gameplay is incredibly well made and executed.
    The fish AI is out of this world (take that call of duty)
  8. Jul 10, 2014
    E.Y.E. is a first person futurist shooter RPG. You play a member of a cult in a dark, futuristic world. The game takes you through a series of missions, the plot develops, you kills stuff, buy better weapons, level up your character and so on. I should probably mention that I only played this co-op. Might be a completely different experience single player.

The game has a great

The game has a great atmosphere - most of it seems to take place in huge, abandoned cathedral-like structures (which fits the religious theme of the game very well). Dialogue is great - though not in the best English all the time. NPCs insult you, swear at you and blame you for anything that goes wrong. You do have the option of just shooting the NPCs, but that might bring other people's wrath upon you.

The game has no voice acting. That means you'll have to read quite a bit of text to keep up with the plot, but it also means that much more dialogue is made available.

Getting into the game is rather difficult. It requires you to pick a genome even before you get started - in short that means you'll have to read up on a bunch of different genome configurations before you're even allowed to, say, shoot a gun or run around a bit - I can see how this is frustrating to new players.

Maps are recycled into these rather generic missions that will be available after completing a map. These got frustrating rather quickly, and I only played a few of them.

Shooting works fine, though the gun balance seems lacking. Some of the heavier weapons especially seem to kill too well, compared to the lighter versions. While the game offers you the option of bringing a variety of different guns, there's really no point to it - you're limited by weight, so if you bring a shotgun and a few shells for backup it'll just mean that you have fewer rounds for whichever main gun you're using.

EYE also has a fun hacking mini game that you'll probably want to master. It's hugely stressful, requires a lot of concentration but is generally satisfying.

You'll earn money which you can spend on new weapons, skills, upgrades or research. Character building is not too exciting - mostly about finding out what you want to be good at and then spending your money to optimize that. Research if fun though - you spend money to start research on something you found, and when they're done it might give you some stat bonus.

All in all a fun game to play with friends, but too confusing at first. Lots of things lack polish, but nothing ruining the game. Atmosphere is better than the game play, but still some fun hours with a friend or two.
  9. Jun 24, 2014
    After about 30 minutes of studying the basic gameplay elements and lore of the game, I became completely immersed and I'm still having a blast. This is a surprisingly well made game, considering it was made using the Source engine, which is an achievement by itself.

Pros: The gunplay is extremely satisfying with every weapon feeling like it should; The game has a lot of replay value

Pros:
    The gunplay is extremely satisfying with every weapon feeling like it should;
    The game has a lot of replay value with the option to pick different classes and playstyles with new characters, not to mention the multiplayer that could double your entire playtime;
    A variety of enemies and ways to kill them. The gore is very satisfying and the ragdoll physics make it much more responsive and fun;
    Nicely made interface, I really like the way zooming with weapons works.
    Lots of choices on how to play the game. You can change AI difficulty to your taste (reaction times, footstep recognition, etc.), respawn times, game difficulty and all kinds of variables that can drastically change the way you're going to have to play the game.

Cons:
    Unintuitive research system;
    Glitches, especially with saving;
    Strange dialogue (this problem can be nullified by using the unofficial dialogue community patch);
    Annoying, albeit easy to master hack mechanics - it seems that hacking cannot be done unless you are hiding. You can get interrupted by respawning enemies and will be forced to restart your hack attempt as you close the hack menu to kill a rude enemy.

Overall, this game is very... Strange, I'd say. You'd have to play it for a couple of hours to know if you'd like it or not.
  10. Apr 18, 2014
    I feel like much of the criticism towards E.Y.E is due to a lack of understanding. This game is not Deus Ex, Stalker, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. This is not a game that offers stealth gameplay, hacking, and shooting rolled into one. Indeed, this game's closest relative is probably Serious Sam.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is a game about shooting things. You can choose from a

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is a game about shooting things. You can choose from a large variety of weapons, and there are usually a few ways to approach every situation. It's very open-ended, for an FPS. The game's aesthetic draws inspiration from cyberpunk works, such as Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, while also giving many nods towards franchises such as Warhammer 40,000. Stealth and hacking elements exist to assist you in murdering people. They are tools, rather than styles of play. Enemies respawn, which may seem irritating at first, but then you realise that if they didn't, there wouldn't be very many people for you to shoot.

If murdering dozens of men every mission doesn't sound appealing to you, then you probably won't like this game. If you want am FPS experience like no other, you might just enjoy it. It's extremely niche, but it satisfies the needs of this niche group like no other game can.
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    If you expect this game to teach you how to play it, you're gonna have a bad time. It takes a significant amount of effort to get into and understand because the leveling system and game world are left unexplained, and both are perplexing by nature.

While the game doesn't have the smoothness of combat you would find in a modern game, this game has some good potential for co-op play. The game world itself is unique, dark and cryptic. The whole game itself kind of feels like a dream, or more fittingly, a nightmare. When you finally reach the end, IF you ever figure out how, you realize just how tragic the whole struggle is.

The atmosphere sold this game to me. The FPS mechanics may not be top notch, the game definitely feels "clunky" as someone else said. But this game has a certain strange charm that for some reason impresses the hell out of me.
  12. Jan 31, 2014
    E.Y.E executed some elements perfectly, but sadly the awfulness shines way brighter than the greatness.
    PROS:
    +Some of the best gun-play around - it is really that good! +At being a mindless, chaotic, mayhem filled FPS (not always a bad thing by the way), it succeeds with flying colors. CONS: -The story isn't even near worth remembering: it is sadly riddled with cliches, and overall
    PROS:
    +Some of the best gun-play around - it is really that good!
    CONS:
    -The story isn't even near worth remembering: it is sadly riddled with cliches, and overall is dull.
    -They apparently used Google Translate to translate the game into English (the developers are French I believe).
    -When the gun-play bogs down - it really, REALLY bogs down.
    -All the dialogue is text based. I know this is something I would usually ignore, but they don't accompany it with any animations or even white noise, making it very boring.
    -Navigation is terrible!
    No, I would not recommend this game, but it does seem the developers have a lot of potential.
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    Bough this game for $2 on steam sale despite not stellar reviews. And I found them to be wildly exagerated. The game has an interesting and unique setting and is a good mix of story, FPS and RPG element. If I should compare it to anything out there it would be more action packed scifi Morrowind

And this I think is the basic mistake reviewers make. E.Y.E is not FPS, it is and RPG at the core. Now I do not get anyone who says that the controls and RPG aspects are confusing. Again the best comparison would be Morrowind or Oblivion: who did not make a mistake with character creation there? Who understood the magic system there or how spells are created for the fist time? But don't worry things are much easier in E.Y.E. There are 1 page long guides that explain the most important stuff about character creation along with useful tips for controls and possible play styles.

Now there may be some "bad" stuff:

1) English localization is not very good. Personally I do not mind. I just pretend it is roughly translated by japanese sounding language that is native to settings. But for some people this may be shostopper so you were warned

2) Enemies spawn constantly. It is similar to how some action games are created lately, that enemies have designated spawn point once you are near to it. If you run away the spawn point may switch. If you fight some large creature spawning may be temporarily suspended. Anyways the point is that if you like cleaning the whole level before ending a mission you will be disapointed. In my experience this system sometimes tends to put you into a difficult spot that would otherwise be boring stomp over AI.
  14. Dec 12, 2013
    As jpnole said, this game is a rare gem, a bit rough around the edges, but casuals should, and WILL definitely overlook this. Perhaps the most defining thing about this game is the deep story that delves into the psychology of humanity and more importantly, your character, which is apparently stuck in a mental limbo of some sort, trying to free himself while also searching for answers. TheAs jpnole said, this game is a rare gem, a bit rough around the edges, but casuals should, and WILL definitely overlook this. Perhaps the most defining thing about this game is the deep story that delves into the psychology of humanity and more importantly, your character, which is apparently stuck in a mental limbo of some sort, trying to free himself while also searching for answers. The dark Hardcore Cyberpunk setting, music and characters all contribute to the overall feeling of the game and combined with the high difficulty, 64 player COOP multiplayer and the intricate RPG system this game is simply one of the best FPSs I've ever seen.. It has bugs, considering it was made by a very small team, and its translation is quite rough (though there are fan patches around that make it much better), but if you can overlook a few common glitches casuals can't take, then this game is a definite buy. TL;DR if you aren't a simple-minded casual and enjoy Hardcore Cyberpunk buy this game right now. Note I gave this a 10 to balance the score but considering it has a few rough edges it is a very solid 9.0. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (0/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (-1)

16. Nov 18, 2013
    I went into this game trying to like it but it falls short in a lot of departments.

When you start the game you're thrown into the story with no explanation of anything, and unlike other amnesia type stories; this one doesn't later explain itself. Bits of back story and lore are dropped here and there, but nothing is fully explained in the game. One of the first things I noticed about this games were the odd translations, they aren't terrible, but definitely not good. I'm guessing numerous things got mixed up during translations though, because the dialogue of the NPCs very heavily. One minute the dialogue is believable and seems to fit the lore, the next it seems like it's made by a juvenile 14 year old.

Translations and story aside, the gameplay is a below average with enemies that wait in place for you to headshot them. Enemy variety is low, and even when you fight a different enemy you use the same tactics as they don't offer a new challenge. The level designs are bland, with no motivation to explore because there aren't any items or interesting locales to find. Completing quests don't feel as rewarding as other games, as you aren't rewarded any new weapons or gear, just money for high priced items.

Overall the game falls short in a lot of categories, it's playable, but not really enjoyable. If it was more story driven with better dialogue I could see this game being a 7 at least.
  17. Nov 3, 2013
    If you can fight through the really weird tutorial system and feeling of "what the hell is happening?" at the beginning you have a game with real depth here. However, it being insanely text heavy and the AI being a bit punishing make it hard to fully get into. So everything is stacked against the average gamer getting into it... "What's going on? What are all these weird ass menus andIf you can fight through the really weird tutorial system and feeling of "what the hell is happening?" at the beginning you have a game with real depth here. However, it being insanely text heavy and the AI being a bit punishing make it hard to fully get into. So everything is stacked against the average gamer getting into it... "What's going on? What are all these weird ass menus and buttons? God, there's a lot of text in this game. Dammit I keep dying." yeah, it's not the best way to get people into it but fight through and there's a gem in the rough here. Expand
  18. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel that i pay an Alpha version, so many bugs keep me away from being able to play it in good condition. After hours of trying it, levelling my character, i had the worst bug ever character level reset. Painful.
  19. Sep 7, 2013
    So close to being a great game and yet so deeply flawed. E.Y.E. contains features both unique and numerous, but there's so much the developers tried to implement that a lot of it feels underdeveloped. The aesthetics, both in the environments and character models, are brilliant. The combat feels like a game from 2004 and at times reminded me of the Jedi Outcast games (the AI is pretty bad).So close to being a great game and yet so deeply flawed. E.Y.E. contains features both unique and numerous, but there's so much the developers tried to implement that a lot of it feels underdeveloped. The aesthetics, both in the environments and character models, are brilliant. The combat feels like a game from 2004 and at times reminded me of the Jedi Outcast games (the AI is pretty bad). There's some cool skills but most prove useless and are as broken as the hacking minigame. Essentially, this minigame consists of spamming the same combination of buttons repeatedly and hoping you win. It's just so messy. E.Y.E. has the potential to become a solid series and I'm keen to see what the developers do next. In the meantime though, I won't be replaying this. Expand
  20. Aug 17, 2013
    Great shooter with rpg elements. Love the way the character moves and sounds, weapons are satisfying and the game is fun and satisfying. Great art direction. On the negative side the storyline and dialogue make little sense. Be prepared for running and gunning, and making shots count, though the weapons are all satisfying, and large enemy spawns. The rpg elements with cyber powers andGreat shooter with rpg elements. Love the way the character moves and sounds, weapons are satisfying and the game is fun and satisfying. Great art direction. On the negative side the storyline and dialogue make little sense. Be prepared for running and gunning, and making shots count, though the weapons are all satisfying, and large enemy spawns. The rpg elements with cyber powers and upgrades to speed, health, etc are nicely done. overall a good game with some great moments. Expand
  21. Jun 13, 2013
    A nice detailed and immersive experience. No. A Masterpiece. Just the thing games need so badly. I honestly cannot think of any flaws to name... the art-work and totality of the game just crush any minor complaints. Most irks are brought up when people expect a flashy shooter and don't want or don't have the mental capacity to invest in an artistically wondrous game.

This one's rather

This one's rather an experience. Not a mindless one at that.

If you're confused, concentrate and think, dammit.

That's not to say if you didn't enjoy you're inferior but rather that people used to games holding their hands *should* try and invest in some more independently-minded titles even if they don't like it the problem's on their end.

And all that talk about bad localizations and too omnipotent enemies is trash. People are disgusted by (insane) originality and a hard game, that's all there is to it. Also, people aren't used to a truly oppressive and haunting setting. This *is* true mental and depicted dystopia we're presented here. The game often feels like a Lynch movie!

As to similarities, EYE is akin to the original Deus Ex, moreso Doom 1 and 2, and in its level-up the original Diablo with some extra depth to it. References are made to many cyberpunk wonders, including Ghost in the Shell. And in its lore it feels like a slightly more abysmal and dreamlike world of Warhammer or of Texhnolyze the animated series.

If you can still play original Doom, Deus Ex and Diablo games with joy, this one's right for you!
  22. May 2, 2013
    A good concept, but very flawed in implementation. NPC interactions left me feeling strangely disconnected from the game world, movement was simply far too slow, and enemy AI was prone to doing very odd things. Not a game I would encourage anyone to try. I only got about two hours in, before deciding it wasn't fun at all and leaving for greener pastures.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    This one is a rough diamond. It can be a lot of fun if you have the patience for it; on my first playthrough, I went in wearing heavy armor and a minigun which honestly ruined it for me (the heavy+minigun+psi is too powerful), so I started over with a more balanced playstyle, spent a great deal of time doing random secondary missions in the Temple HQ, bought all the cool cyberimplants,This one is a rough diamond. It can be a lot of fun if you have the patience for it; on my first playthrough, I went in wearing heavy armor and a minigun which honestly ruined it for me (the heavy+minigun+psi is too powerful), so I started over with a more balanced playstyle, spent a great deal of time doing random secondary missions in the Temple HQ, bought all the cool cyberimplants, researched new tech, learned some new powers.. and alas, as a Grey Master, the game is SO MUCH BETTER. You feel like a Jedi or something.

As for all the bad stuff: developers are French and their english is laughable. Still some bugs (note that as of April 2013 many of the worst bugs have been fixed and new content added, like PvP), graphics are nice, but not triple-A, so if you're into newer games, don't bother playing this one.
  24. Mar 24, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game lots of replayability, and the addition Coop makes it a great buy. There are a great variety of weapons and powers, with stat requirements for each. The levels are long and quite large, but some areas can be almost impossible to bypass since a few of the mobs are unkillable and respawn too fast. There is also a problem with the line of sight of enemies, makingI really enjoyed this game lots of replayability, and the addition Coop makes it a great buy. There are a great variety of weapons and powers, with stat requirements for each. The levels are long and quite large, but some areas can be almost impossible to bypass since a few of the mobs are unkillable and respawn too fast. There is also a problem with the line of sight of enemies, making stealth almost useless. Strange story and silly dialogue may be holding the game back, but overall it is an enjoyable experience Expand
  25. Jan 19, 2013
    Where to begin? First of, I decided to give E.Y.E. a try despite an overwhelming amount of negative critic and user reviews, but it seems in the end I might have to agree with a lot of them. Although it's not a terrible game, a lot of its flaws are still way too prominent, like ugly scars. The game has some really interesting ideas and a lot of promise and potential, but most of it isWhere to begin? First of, I decided to give E.Y.E. a try despite an overwhelming amount of negative critic and user reviews, but it seems in the end I might have to agree with a lot of them. Although it's not a terrible game, a lot of its flaws are still way too prominent, like ugly scars. The game has some really interesting ideas and a lot of promise and potential, but most of it is severely under-delivered. I have respect for the developers for doing a lot of things differently to conventional methods, but this also means they delved too far into the uncharted, experimental territory, and hence some areas turned out fine and other areas were a complete mess. In addition the game feels as though it was rushed, untested, and released in the alpha/beta stage. I'm going to break it down into several aspects now. First of, it's a mix of FPS gameplay with Role-playing aspects. The FPS mechanics actually work really well. The guns are incredibly fun to use and the enemies are very responsive to being hit. Just as a simple FPS game it could've turned out quite well. The only drawback on this side perhaps would be that for some unknown reason the character never automatically reloads the gun once the clip is empty, which at times can be frustrating to the player. Now as an RPG this game was a complete disaster. Although I really enjoyed the setting and some of the locations were really beautiful and had a nice cyberpunk theme, the game really failed to immerse the player. Bad translation and very bad dialogue are some of the things that made the setting less believable (e.g. does anyone know what an "embarrassing turret" is? Because I don't). The story manages to lose your attention pretty much after the first level. I think one of the problems also is the lack of voice acting. I think for a game like this, voice acting is an absolute must. One of the fundamental problems about this game is too much text, both when speaking to NPCs or when browsing through your character skills and stats. The fact that the text is small too makes it all the more annoying. The game also plays strangely. A single player campaign plays like a multiplayer map, with both you and enemies being able to respawn multiple times. This is one of the things that really breaks the immersion as you see the same enemies keep respawning at a spawn point as soon as you turn around and just rushing at you recklessly without any tactics. In addition the levels are way too big, often requiring tonnes of pointless walking and backtracking. I literally had to use my sprint power in order to get about, or else the game was a drag. I think when playing this game, most RPG elements can be easily ignored. Just run and gun tactic the entire game will get you far. I didn't even bother much with the RPG elements. The only one you need to know is how to get weapons from the armoury and into your inventory. The weapon inventory management was pretty cool, I admit. The hacking mini-game was also an interesting and refreshing addition, although at times it felt way too random and poorly tested. Also something I've really got to mention is the fact that to resume your campaign after having quit the game is a trouble in itself. First the game loads and takes you to a portal area, and then you've got to walk to the portal and it loads again before you finally get back to where you left the campaign. Now I don't see a point of having to bring the player to the portal area and make us wait through TWO loading screens instead of ONE. That is just poor game design. Overall to summarize, E.Y.E. has a lot of potential and interesting ideas, but a lot of it is still in a very rough and unpolished state. It plays well as an FPS, but terribly as an RPG. Therefore if to go round and shoot at waves of enemies is what you're after, then you might in fact enjoy this game, but if you're expecting an immersive first-person RPG, akin to Deus Ex, then you're in for a nasty disappointment. Expand
  26. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is difficult, painful, and repetitive, but there's something about it that keeps you playing. At times this game will annoy you immensely, especially with its system of "If you die you get an injury that ruins a good 2 hours of play-time", but its surprisingly pretty fun. The combat feels good and powerful, the ragdolls make your weapons seem like over-powered beasts at times,This game is difficult, painful, and repetitive, but there's something about it that keeps you playing. At times this game will annoy you immensely, especially with its system of "If you die you get an injury that ruins a good 2 hours of play-time", but its surprisingly pretty fun. The combat feels good and powerful, the ragdolls make your weapons seem like over-powered beasts at times, which makes it feel great to kill enemies, but at the same time the enemies are using the same guns, so you feel just as weak as they are. Ill admit that I probably had a lot more fun with this game than I should have, because when you really look at the game, its not very impressive.
    Overall i'd say this game is alright, pretty cool art-style, interesting cyber-punk kinda concept, pretty fun game-play. Mainly the problems in this game lie where its very VERY much flawed and had a lot of wasted potential. It EASILY could have been a much better game than it actually is.
  27. Nov 26, 2012
    Like all cunning satires, E.Y.E. is in many ways better than the media tropes, games, and films it makes fun of. Cyberpunk wasn't a setting or a look and feel - all of that is just how the mainstream received William Gibson - it was deconstructing and rebelling against an odious and bloated genre of science fantasy. E.Y.E. is continuing that - the garbage dialogue that everyone goes onLike all cunning satires, E.Y.E. is in many ways better than the media tropes, games, and films it makes fun of. Cyberpunk wasn't a setting or a look and feel - all of that is just how the mainstream received William Gibson - it was deconstructing and rebelling against an odious and bloated genre of science fantasy. E.Y.E. is continuing that - the garbage dialogue that everyone goes on about is mocking the player for being docile enough to enjoy a Skyrim-style subquest whose author uses every cliche in the book to try and make the gamer care about a digital non-entity. This game is saying "stuff all that, have a proper bloody cyberpunk gunfight: Gibson, Harlan Ellison, Blade Runner etc etc were all very literary and clever but all they really bequeathed us was a desire to blast through gangs of punks with a cybernetically enhanced warrior". And that's what this game is - the sorts of gunfight Robocop would have - you'll blitz through wave after wave of inferior beings with a cybernetic killing machine. Then your clip will run out and you'll get pinned down and have to be repeatedly resurrected. Like the cyberpunk tropes. My favourite is the factory in the first level, the inside of which looks exactly like the aftermath of the fight between Sgt. Motoko and the robot tank at the end of Ghost in the Shell. Like they just didn't tidy up afterward, left the bits of the tank there, and hundreds of years later it's a location in a game. This is like Syndicate without the backstory (!?) - cyberpunk's backstory is the ruins of human literature. Expand
  28. Nov 22, 2012
    I got this for 2.5 euros in a steam offer. I had it in my wishlist for ages but I didn't play it for more than 3 hours. First of all this game drops you into the middle of a story but your character suffers from amnesia so I guess that explains the feeling I get from not understanding a single thing. Then you get to the unnecessarily huge headquarters where you go to the archives to readI got this for 2.5 euros in a steam offer. I had it in my wishlist for ages but I didn't play it for more than 3 hours. First of all this game drops you into the middle of a story but your character suffers from amnesia so I guess that explains the feeling I get from not understanding a single thing. Then you get to the unnecessarily huge headquarters where you go to the archives to read badly translated texts about the history of the world. This takes some time but if you are really a fan of role playing then you obviously have to do this before making decisions about who to betray and who to help (although you already have to make such decisions even before you get a chance to reach the archives! Anyway then the drop you to the city for a mission. Terrible. Terrible. I sneak slowly behind a wall while watching through a scope. Well guess what. An enemy on the other side of the road, like 500m away instantly sees me and starts running to me. Do they have cameras around their heads or something? With motion detection? Also enemies keep respawning and come right to you. Also the hacking game is really boring and hard. At least put some bars to watch instead of numbers. I can't keep my eyes on 6 numbers at the same time while pointing my mouse onto the correct button! I was expecting something like Dystopia's hacking system.

I was hoping to see something like Dystopia when I got this game but with a more open world approach. The ideas put in the game are really great. But the implementation is bad. I am dropping this game the same day that I bought it...
  29. Nov 11, 2012
    Very refreshing, turn up difficulty and spawn rate for a better experience. Main problem for me was how weak the psi powers felt compared to guns, with which there was essentially infinite ammo.
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    It's not perfect, but it's a great game. It's harder than your average FPS, it's much darker and the plot needs to be paid attention to if the player intends to understand what's going on. It is notorious that it's low budget, from the lack of voice acting in dialogues and the cheap looking menus, but all things considered it has lots of customization options, a lot of replayabilityIt's not perfect, but it's a great game. It's harder than your average FPS, it's much darker and the plot needs to be paid attention to if the player intends to understand what's going on. It is notorious that it's low budget, from the lack of voice acting in dialogues and the cheap looking menus, but all things considered it has lots of customization options, a lot of replayability (especially if you didn't get the true ending), and missions can be completed in many many different ways. And it has coop on top of that. Expand
  31. Oct 20, 2012
    The game got boring and repetitive after 4 to 6 hours of gameplay. The shooting is ok, the dynamics are fine, special cyber-powers, Leveling up, stores, etc. - all good. What the game lacks is a strong story - and the really unprofessional dialogue (or translation - go figure) kills it completely. The dialogue is artificial, the character are non existent. Thus, the game has no depth -The game got boring and repetitive after 4 to 6 hours of gameplay. The shooting is ok, the dynamics are fine, special cyber-powers, Leveling up, stores, etc. - all good. What the game lacks is a strong story - and the really unprofessional dialogue (or translation - go figure) kills it completely. The dialogue is artificial, the character are non existent. Thus, the game has no depth - and no room for players' engagement.
    Really sucks because there is huge potential which is not realized.
  32. Jul 14, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece. It's quirky, but if you endure until the true end, where the game's meaning lies in, it's a masterpiece. Definitely something you must get if you're not only looking for a game, but for an experience.
  33. Jul 14, 2012
    People keep saying this game is severely bugged, and that it's extremely clunky and frustrating. I won't argue against it because it's true. But despite all that, this game is the closest thing to games as a pure art form from a narrative point of view. And even then, the aesthetics are unique, the gameplay is unique, and, above all, the metaconcepts of gaming are unique. The ending ofPeople keep saying this game is severely bugged, and that it's extremely clunky and frustrating. I won't argue against it because it's true. But despite all that, this game is the closest thing to games as a pure art form from a narrative point of view. And even then, the aesthetics are unique, the gameplay is unique, and, above all, the metaconcepts of gaming are unique. The ending of this game (the TRUE ending, after the mandatory three playthroughs) is the most astonishing, reflexive, fantastic and all around incredible endings ever conceived in any art form. Is simply perfect. One of the best games I have ever played. I dare any new game to beat this ending. Expand
  34. Jun 24, 2012
    First of all I want to say that the devs have done really good job patching up this game. There are many reviews here that complain about its bugginess, but in its current state it has less bugs than most modern games. In fact I haven't encountered even one. This game has some incredible atmosphere, it sort of reminds me of Deus Ex and Metro 2033. I'm not good at pointing out the positiveFirst of all I want to say that the devs have done really good job patching up this game. There are many reviews here that complain about its bugginess, but in its current state it has less bugs than most modern games. In fact I haven't encountered even one. This game has some incredible atmosphere, it sort of reminds me of Deus Ex and Metro 2033. I'm not good at pointing out the positive sides, all I can say is that this game is well worth the money if you can just overcome its flaws. Hacking is boring, story is a mess, translation is bad, enemies spawn everywhere you can't see and can spot you from 500m away, melee feels clunky and you have to around A LOT. Inventory system also sort of forces you to use only one weapon because you can't carry enough ammo otherwise. Expand
  35. May 9, 2012
    While I concede that this game is highly flawed, it is still fun and creative. Combat is skillful and fun and the character customization system was interesting and useful. You can keep your characters and enjoy the work you put into creating them. A lot of people complained about the interface, but I personally liked it. Despite the incomprehensible plot with only tangential connection toWhile I concede that this game is highly flawed, it is still fun and creative. Combat is skillful and fun and the character customization system was interesting and useful. You can keep your characters and enjoy the work you put into creating them. A lot of people complained about the interface, but I personally liked it. Despite the incomprehensible plot with only tangential connection to the gameplay, I WAS HAVING FUN. I guess that whether or not you like this game is related to your preference towards triple-A mainstream games. If you think that Halo and Call of Duty 4 are the best games ever, then you won't like E.Y.E. If you like bold ideas and creativity, then jump right into E.Y.E: Cyber-Cyber-Cyber-Warriormonk! Expand
  36. Apr 22, 2012
    An absolute travesty. It's a damn shame too cuz it has so much potential. This has to be the most poorly optimized source engine game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. I have an Athlon dual core @ 3.3 ghz (stock), Nvidia GTS 250, and 4 gigs of RAM. I can run Half Life 2 at a constant 60 fps V-synced with maximum settings at 1920 by 1080 resolution and it wouldn't matter how muchAn absolute travesty. It's a damn shame too cuz it has so much potential. This has to be the most poorly optimized source engine game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. I have an Athlon dual core @ 3.3 ghz (stock), Nvidia GTS 250, and 4 gigs of RAM. I can run Half Life 2 at a constant 60 fps V-synced with maximum settings at 1920 by 1080 resolution and it wouldn't matter how much crap was going on in the game, it would never drop below 60 fps. But this game... I have to drop my resolution to 1440 by 900 and a bunch of other settings just to get 60 frames at the HQ. When I go to any place where enemies are, then my framerate drops dramatically. I'm talking down to like 20 fps. Makes it unplayable. To make things even worse, it has some nasty bugs still left in it even after having been patched. Poor english translation too. It's been about 6 months since the developers have done anything to improve it, so it feels abandoned. I payed $18 at time of pre-order. If I had payed $10 for it, I might've given it a 5/10. Expand
  37. Mar 30, 2012
    More than anything it's a missed opportunity. Everything about the same seems to weep "We couldn't finish this game, so we kicked it out the door as a value title." The textures and landscape of the world are threadbare and boring -- while many of the characters in contrast look tremendously polished. The tutorial is ineffectual and for a title with such a vast suite of features that'sMore than anything it's a missed opportunity. Everything about the same seems to weep "We couldn't finish this game, so we kicked it out the door as a value title." The textures and landscape of the world are threadbare and boring -- while many of the characters in contrast look tremendously polished. The tutorial is ineffectual and for a title with such a vast suite of features that's really a shame... If you're like me you'll fiddle with the parts you can understand then ultimately push it aside for something more rewarding, less frustrating, or even just for something that might seem like it has a unified art style. Skip this title -- it's not worth it even for $10. Could have been SOOOOO much more. A shame. Expand
  38. Feb 14, 2012
    When I first watched the game's trailer, I was sure I'd found my next hundred hours of gaming.
    The disappointment felt when I got my hands on the game was bad. I played it for several hours, in the begginning it's nice, the music, the atmosphere, just great... But, after the introduction, everything changes. It's not a hard game, far from it, but it gets really repetitive after some time. Things like that enormous city makes the game really frustrating between missions. The city could have half of it's size and it'd still be more than enough for that handful of npcs and interactive objects (armory and etc), lots of boring walking.

While in missions, you realize that not all strategies are really balanced, 'shoot if it moves' proves itself really great while 'sneak n hack' usually doesn't. Problems with the hacking mini-game and some pseudo-choices makes the game frustrating.
    The more you play the game, the more it'll look like a FPS with a little customization, it really relies on it's shooter side more than on its RPG side. Enemies see really far, but the shooting system has really low spread, allowing you to sharpshoot them from far even with a pistol. The game's 'inventory' is really bad.
    When you have an objective, the screen shows a small indicator at it's position, visible from anywhere, it's a feature I've already seen in other games and personaly consider it awesome. The problem here is the lack of a good mapping so we can see a possible route (not only the direction).

I don't think bugs should get into a review, unless they affect the gameplay and this is the case. The game has it share of bugs.

Pros:
    Highly customizable character
    The game's interface is great, takes long to get used to it, but it grants easy access to almost all features (not that you'll really use all of them)
    The art is really good, adds some immersion

Tip: Do not count on stealth nor on melee.
  39. Jan 30, 2012
    This game has got lots of potential. The lore, the idea, the setting, even the role-playing system is beautiful. However, most of that is gone once you finally realize this is a game you'll work hard to understand.

The font of the text is ridiculously small. And you can't even see it on a white background! Essentially you'll have to constantly make your way towards the screen to read it. This isn't so hurting to the story as the fact that the English is almost non-existent. Eventually you will stop caring for the plot.

Enemies will spawn endlessly. At this moment immersion is gone as you put them down one by one and have no sense of achievement from any kill - two more will replace the guy anyways! There's no save option. You could be doing a mission for an extremely long time before you're done with it and if you quit your game, you'll have to restart it! So in conclusion, try this game out for some fun and if you're able to comprehend with some of the mechanics and have patience, but if not, don't approach it.
  40. Jan 2, 2012
    I genuinely like this game. It has fantastic gun-play, many fun abilities and top notch visuals for a source game. However, it has many things holding it back. To name a few:
    1- A horrid French-to-English translation
    2- Poor optimization 3- A confusing cluttered interface 4- Your saves may become corrupt unexpectedly (You could always counter this by backing up your saves, but I'd assume
    1- A horrid French-to-English translation
    2- Poor optimization
    3- A confusing cluttered interface
    4- Your saves may become corrupt unexpectedly (You could always counter this by backing up your saves, but I'd assume many gamers would prefer not to).

All in all I'd say that it's worth its current price ($9.99 USD). I've had fun with it and intend to have even more.
  41. Jan 2, 2012
    It's an interesting mix of Cyberpunk FPS and RPG, with an upgrade system similar but far more complex than Deus Ex: HR. Where it falls apart though is in game direction (starting out you get no primer at all and are left on your own to figure out what the hell is going on, which could take a few hours or some heavy googling), the localization (language) is very Korean MMO-esque which alsoIt's an interesting mix of Cyberpunk FPS and RPG, with an upgrade system similar but far more complex than Deus Ex: HR. Where it falls apart though is in game direction (starting out you get no primer at all and are left on your own to figure out what the hell is going on, which could take a few hours or some heavy googling), the localization (language) is very Korean MMO-esque which also causes the story to falter, menus within menus with literally no explanation when you first play of what the hell is what.

Then there's random stuff like why the hell are there monsters and thugs running around the streets and all shooting at me? Couldn't the monsters at least attack the thugs? Plus, the Enemy AI is a little TOO GOOD. You can't even hide yourself inside a building or room. They will come straight for you even if they start out on the other side of the screen (300+ yards away).

If you're a Deus Ex or Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi fan this is a game you will want to like but this really feels like it was prime for Beta and maybe close to release but right now...definitely not release ready.

If you can look past all of that it's still not a bad buy for under 9 bucks.
  42. Dec 30, 2011
    E.Y.E. is a mixture of very good and very bad, so it scores a 5 for me. The concept is very good, though not unique. You get RPG elements of character progression and customization that are quite nice and diverse, and you get a mixture of occult and technology, which few other games offer (Clive Barker's Jericho is another). The mood is a strange brew of horror and dystopia that's wellE.Y.E. is a mixture of very good and very bad, so it scores a 5 for me. The concept is very good, though not unique. You get RPG elements of character progression and customization that are quite nice and diverse, and you get a mixture of occult and technology, which few other games offer (Clive Barker's Jericho is another). The mood is a strange brew of horror and dystopia that's well supported by an alien dialog and quirky soundtrack and it really works. The ranged weapons are very satisfying to use, being both precise and powerful. It feels right to kill someone with a single bullet instead of with a barrage that would shred an elephant. This was on the right track to becoming a very good shooter, but... the bad: It is very unstable. Performing simple things, like navigating the menus, forced me to reboot Windows 7. And I mean "big red button" shutdown, not a clean exit. I own a truckload of indie games and Source games and not one of the others does this. The interface is overly convoluted and frankly, unpleasant to use. It gets in the way of the game. Finally, the lack of polish, makes it feel more like a mod than a stand-alone game. A "version 2" of this game, with a streamlined interface and the bugs removed, is sorely needed to make it a viable contender in the shooter space. In its present state, it's a fun curiosity if you can get it on sale, but it isn't likely to make it to many people's favorites list. Expand
  43. Dec 27, 2011
    I enjoyed this game quite a lot personally. The RPG aspect of it is very good, developing your character is the best part of the game. This game does feature full co-op (big plus for me), and has nice music and atmosphere in general. My main complaint is the game is very confusing for the first few hours, just figuring out the menus and what stuff actually does is quite a chore, and theI enjoyed this game quite a lot personally. The RPG aspect of it is very good, developing your character is the best part of the game. This game does feature full co-op (big plus for me), and has nice music and atmosphere in general. My main complaint is the game is very confusing for the first few hours, just figuring out the menus and what stuff actually does is quite a chore, and the actual combat is very bland. If you are looking for just a shooter with maybe some rpg mixed in or the next Deus Ex, then this isn't the game for you, but if you want to try something different it might be worth a try. Expand
  44. Dec 27, 2011
    There are many excellent things about EYE. The novel death system really does make you take care and adds an extra level of tension to the action. When you see a new unknown enemy on the horizon you don't want to charge in and see if it will own you because there's no classic save/load function as such.

The visual theme is also unique. Being an Indie game it couldn't spend the big moolah on shiny graphics, so went for the Source engine and uses a distinctive grungy techno style. It works and rather then the graphics holding back the game, they become one of it's plus points.

the MEATYNESS of the weapons and character movement is also impressive. You really do feel like a cyborg made of metal and bullets.

I've heard reports of bugs, crashes and performance issues from other reviews but after 15 hours of play I've not come across a single one. This game makes many big budget titles look like bug-ridden crash-fests (but then I guess may of them are..)

Down sides include some slightly repetitive gameplay and a horrific minigame experience that is often neccesary to do repeatedly, but overall this in one of the best indie games out there and a good game in it's own right.
  45. Dec 23, 2011
    Hard to look at and even harder to play, this indie title really dropped the ball in alot of areas. The rough edges (VERY rough in this case) and poor grammar could have been dealt with if the game was actually fun to play. Combat is horrible, the stealth is extremely buggy, just like the rest of the game, and, again, the very poor translation into English really hurt this game. Even ifHard to look at and even harder to play, this indie title really dropped the ball in alot of areas. The rough edges (VERY rough in this case) and poor grammar could have been dealt with if the game was actually fun to play. Combat is horrible, the stealth is extremely buggy, just like the rest of the game, and, again, the very poor translation into English really hurt this game. Even if your looking for an under-the-radar FPS to play, I cannot recommend buying this game, even with the very low price tag. Like Philodox said, stay far, far, far away from this game. Expand
  46. Dec 23, 2011
    Good Game but a little bit buggy
    Good Game but a little bit buggy
    i need to close the game and start it again coz the armory is not working and one time i spawn up to another player and we wasnt able to move but its a good game because it has a lot of stuff to do and u get a lot of freedom its like deus ex +borderlands + fallout3 ! its very hard to master and the bad thing is even if u ware a warrior u need to level up the hacking skill to to do all the missions and u will get a different missions if u restart the game :D
    its very good game and i have a lot of fun with it its fully co op BUT if u buy it for coop make sure u play with friends coz there are a lot of stupid ppl log in to ur server just to hit ur allies and then u need to restart the missions from the beginning
  47. Dec 4, 2011
    ===========================================
    Cons: I played it for 7 hours and I can honestly say that no more than maybe 5 minutes were actually some kind of fun. The mission objectives send you from one remote corner of the map to the other, without making much sense but to draw you into some random
    ===========================================
    The mission objectives send you from one remote corner of the map to the other, without making much sense but to draw you into some random gunfights.
    The enemies may be miles away, but they hit you with absolute accuracy, sometimes before you see them, making you wonder what the heck hit you.
    Problem here is that the gameplay is simply annoying not challenging as it should be.
    The hacking minigame is confusing at first, I never really understood it, but I found out that the sequence SHIELD, OVERFLOW, ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK and so on produces the best results.
    But the worst aspect of the game is the save point system. The save points are only at the end of a mission, and some missions are quite long!
    Not being able to save for sometimes more than a hour is absolutely killing this game. You won't risk anything just in order to survive, spoiling all the fun that's still left.
    Because of that, I set the game difficulty down to "Chicken" (which equals to Normal in any other game)
  48. Nov 29, 2011
    This game has a lot of interesting mechanics combined into a game. While it was very unstable at launch, in my opinion it's excusable because of the clearly evident lack of manpower towards creating this game. It delivers in many senses (Like combat, RPG varieties and statistics, etc.), while at the same time it falls sub-par of being a really good RPG FPS indie title (like STALKER or DuesThis game has a lot of interesting mechanics combined into a game. While it was very unstable at launch, in my opinion it's excusable because of the clearly evident lack of manpower towards creating this game. It delivers in many senses (Like combat, RPG varieties and statistics, etc.), while at the same time it falls sub-par of being a really good RPG FPS indie title (like STALKER or Dues Ex). Overall a game worth playing, if you're into old school RPGs or old school FPS. It's a literal concoction of both. Expand
  49. Nov 27, 2011
    I tried liking this game, but I just can't. It has too many flaws. A buggy stealth system, enemies that constantly know where you are once they've seen you and no explanation for the custom system they implemented. You can do research, augment parts of your body similarly to Deus Ex, hack nearby turrets, people with cybernetic brains(which is everyone) and steal from ATM machines. ButI tried liking this game, but I just can't. It has too many flaws. A buggy stealth system, enemies that constantly know where you are once they've seen you and no explanation for the custom system they implemented. You can do research, augment parts of your body similarly to Deus Ex, hack nearby turrets, people with cybernetic brains(which is everyone) and steal from ATM machines. But nothing is explained to you. You have to figure it all out yourself.

It might seem fun at first, but after the first couple of times about 10 enemies swarm on you, it really gets frustrating. It's easy to see why there is so little online action for this game. Everyone but the most hard-core RPG lovers will abandon this game after the first level or 2.
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    Nice indie game
    i really like this kind of settings, graphics are weird (yeh it's an indie game)but somehow fitting, the world setting is damn intriguing, hard to understand at first but nice just for that reason.
    Nice indie game
    Only problem i have is with the genere this game is the feeling of hack&slash i got form it(endless respawning on some missions), i tend to play FPS if i want adrenalinic games where i shoot/slash everyone, but form an RPG i desire something different.
    Imo game is still worth a try
  51. Oct 23, 2011
    This is simply unplayable. The buggiest Source Mod i've ever seen. Crashes, character resets, bugged scripts that make company impossible to complete. Unpolished models and ugly textures. Developers just released alpha version, sold some copies and now forgot about this nightmare. They promised patch and DLC 2 months ago and we still got nothing. Multiplayer is dead. The whole game is dead.
  52. Sep 19, 2011
    This is a very fun Diablo FPS, but it's also a flawed game with a low level of polishing. Rough, many unpolished edges but mixed with diamonds not only in the skies. If you can't bear low polished games flee that game. If you can't bear games without nice pretty graphics, flee that game. If you can't bear a story with a clean professional writing, flee that game. If you can't bear a storyThis is a very fun Diablo FPS, but it's also a flawed game with a low level of polishing. Rough, many unpolished edges but mixed with diamonds not only in the skies. If you can't bear low polished games flee that game. If you can't bear games without nice pretty graphics, flee that game. If you can't bear a story with a clean professional writing, flee that game. If you can't bear a story where at end many points remain obscure and mysterious, flee that game. BUT if you want try a crude psychedelic Cyberpunk game, here your game. If you want try a fun Diablo FPS, here your game and quote its gameplay is a lot more fun than Hellgate London. If you want try a weird but fascinating Cyberpunk lore and story, here your game. If you want try a fun action FPS with a confuse but fairly deep class system, here your game. If you are curious about gameplay that are different, here your game. If you have some culprit and persistent fascination for underground stuff, here is your game. Expand
  53. Sep 8, 2011
    Recall Limbo. The devs drop you into a game with no instructions and no plot, but it's easy to figure out. E.Y.E. does the exact opposite. They stuff you in the middle of a plot with plenty of strange dialogue and give you twenty-three videos as a tutorial, but the game remains obtuse. I've played plenty of RPGs and FPSs from Far Cry to Witcher 2 to Battlefield 2, and I still had no ideaRecall Limbo. The devs drop you into a game with no instructions and no plot, but it's easy to figure out. E.Y.E. does the exact opposite. They stuff you in the middle of a plot with plenty of strange dialogue and give you twenty-three videos as a tutorial, but the game remains obtuse. I've played plenty of RPGs and FPSs from Far Cry to Witcher 2 to Battlefield 2, and I still had no idea which buttons I was expected to press. A previous reviewer stated he was able to skip all the videos and jump right in. I imagine he's a genius, spent a half-hour (or more) pressing buttons to see what they do, or's lying.

Aesthetically, the game is "a bad kind of dark." Often, you're in dark areas with poor light, and ugly textures. It's generally excusable when using a high-end game engine, as the technology compensates. However, I guess this is a taste preference, because others have praised the game's aesthetics.

Psi abilities can be fun to use and watch, but using the standard weapons is very dull. The AI itself is very dull and unrefined, which is probably why I was bored with combat. They run right at you after spawning from the ground, do their attack, and die (not necessarily in that order). That said, enemy AI is much more interesting than friendly AI dialogue, which I guess was not originally written in English. It shows, though it doesn't excuse the obtuse characters who lack depth and development.

However, while I was bored out of playing the game to the end, there're a LOT of ideas in this game I hope will be further looked into. I actually thought the hacking minigame was a bit fun (... out of combat) -- it's sort of like an old-school RPG game where you have basic stats displayed and use your abilities to create a weakness and attack before the object you're hacking "kills" you. Research was fascinating, and I think a far superior mechanism than how the latest Mass Effect handled research (remember? scan, scan, scan.... eyes droop.... Oh - something to click on for the nth time for x resources! ..... scan, scan, scan......). Someone previously wrote about how the game's research mechanic is most similar to X-COM's - and that isn't the only influence it had. X-COM was the first game I played with the inventory management scheme as EYE has, similar to how Res. Evil 4's works.

Overall, I liked a lot of the mechanics I saw at play in EYE, but I didn't enjoy the package enough to tolerate more than a few hours. A well-funded and long-developed sequel may produce the gem whose sparkle is occasionally glimpsed at, and that's the only reason why I'd recommend buying the game.
  54. Sep 5, 2011
    If I said there was an indie FPS/RPG just out, that had had a bit of the soul of the original Dues Ex, System Shock 2, Vampire: Bloodlines, Omikron: Nomad Soul and X-Com, you might think I am mad. But I am not. I am describing the fantastic RPG shooter called E.Y.E. Divine C6ybermancy!
  55. Sep 1, 2011
    Ok, here is my first review on metacritic. Without any further ado, letâ
  56. Aug 29, 2011
    Started to play this game but couldn't get into it. The beginning was confusing and lacking in a "tutorial level" that guides you through the simple pieces of the game. It would have taken a short level or sandbox to clear up simple controls, how to use and change upgrades and skills but instead they throw you to the wolves and make you watch a comprehensive tutorial video session inStarted to play this game but couldn't get into it. The beginning was confusing and lacking in a "tutorial level" that guides you through the simple pieces of the game. It would have taken a short level or sandbox to clear up simple controls, how to use and change upgrades and skills but instead they throw you to the wolves and make you watch a comprehensive tutorial video session in your spare time. Frustrated. Expand
  57. Aug 25, 2011
    I like this game. It has a plot, but you have lots of freedom. playabilityis a big plus in this game. You can do missions while farming money, patterns and research. The gameplay is not easy, at least for today's standards. The multiplayer part is easy to get into. There are lots of games running and you can join at any moment. On the other hand, if you play with strangers, it's mostly aI like this game. It has a plot, but you have lots of freedom. playabilityis a big plus in this game. You can do missions while farming money, patterns and research. The gameplay is not easy, at least for today's standards. The multiplayer part is easy to get into. There are lots of games running and you can join at any moment. On the other hand, if you play with strangers, it's mostly a zerg. There's no team tactics or anything, just storm the objectives. Expand
  58. Aug 25, 2011
    E.Y.E. is a great game with a great concept and only a few hindering aspects to it. First off, for an Indie title, the graphics, freedom, and gameplay mechanics are astounding. The game offers numerous play styles and does most of them well. As the preview video and advertisements suggest, there are plenty of different ways to tackle each scenario, whether that involve charging into theE.Y.E. is a great game with a great concept and only a few hindering aspects to it. First off, for an Indie title, the graphics, freedom, and gameplay mechanics are astounding. The game offers numerous play styles and does most of them well. As the preview video and advertisements suggest, there are plenty of different ways to tackle each scenario, whether that involve charging into the action head on, hacking turrets and/or enemies to do your bidding, taking a stealthy approach using a cloaking system and silenced weapons, using PSI (essentially magic) to clone yourself/implode your foes/etc, and many more.

One of the most common complaints about E.Y.E. is the fact that the UI is very confusing and clunky. This is true at first, but it is fairly efficient and simple when you get used to it. Personally, MY biggest complaint would be in how characters act. There is the occasional line that might make you chuckle, but for the most part, the dialog is straightforward and dry. No characters are really likeable, which makes it difficult to decide on where your loyalties lie towards the end of the game (no spoilers, but this has an impact on how the story goes from that point forward).

Speaking of story, that is where my only other major complaint comes in. Until you near the end of the game, there aren't very many moral decisions to make as far as actions go (sometimes there are decisions in dialog, but you can't change mission objectives depending on how you feel about them). There are a few sections where you will have a bit of variety in options (e.g. kill someone, hack something, or bribe someone), but they all have the same outcome and have little effect on the story. My second complaint with the story would be the fact that it is vague and confusing at times, and the ending isn't very satisfying.

All complaints aside, the story is still well-written and unpredictable enough to remain interesting. As far as concept goes, I think the idea of a cyberpunk FPS with RPG elements, stunning environments, and several playstyle options is pretty freakin' cool. While difficult to get good at melee combat, there is nothing more satisfying than charging a fed, blocking his bullets, then cutting him down with a katana. PSI can really change up the game as you unlock some of the later abilities, which are all wonderfully unique. Hacking can make a scenario far easier by having turrets on your side, and is a necessity at times, making it useful for all playstyles. Of course, the shooting mechanics are great as well. There is a nice variety in weapon categories, from melee to assault rifles to snipers to heavy weapons (with a few types in between), and each category usually has three weapons, each unique in their own role. For example, there are three assault rifles, one of which is balanced and versatile with multiple firing modes, one is powerful and accurate with semi-automatic firing, and one that is weaker but with a high fire rate and improved close-quarters capability.

Besides the occasional crash, most of the bugs are minor, such as an ammo clip or two changing to that of a weapon you were previously using. E.Y.E. is fairly well localized, with the occasional translation derp, but never to the point where it is hard to understand. Replayability is very good, granting the option to restart the game with your current gear, abilities, and stats, but be able to make different choices and try out/improve other playstyles. Overall, E.Y.E. is a great and unique game that exceeded my expectations and was well worth buying. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of cyberpunk and/or FPSs and/or RPGs.

-Spenczar
  59. Aug 20, 2011
    Disappointment with a capital D.

This game was pitched as a deus ex like cyberpunk masterpiece. Instead it has clunky gameplay and some plain awful design choices. Moral choices come down to 'flatten this city with nukes, or oh wait you don't have a choice, flatten it...' As someone else pointed out the hacking mini"game" is not only time consuming and flow breaking but also impossible
    Disappointment with a capital D.

As someone else pointed out the hacking mini"game" is not only time consuming and flow breaking but also impossible to do if you're playing single player as an enemy or stream of enemies will figure out where you are (using their spidey sense I suppose) and come savage you while you're trying to out click a computer.

Speaking of multiplayer, the multiplayer co-op took a hack video from youtube to get up and running and even required fiddling around on the console. Not cool.

I'm patient and put up with this for about 8 hours, but I just can't look past the crappy hacking mechanics, streams of enemies that magically know where you are, turrets that one shot you, losing attributes when you die to said turrets, people that talk like they have only seen 3 English movies and all the other crap to get to what ever story they were trying to tell.
  60. Aug 20, 2011
    I tried to like this game, I played it for about 7 hours then gave up in disgust. This game has so much promise but almost all of it is squandered. The art direction and music are both great, unfortunately the following things completely ruined the experience for me (and I'm somebody who's willing to look past a few rough edges).

-BUGGY, from the game crashing if two people in co-op talk

-BUGGY, from the game crashing if two people in co-op talk to the same npc simultaneously to having enemies spawn in the floor and just shoot me through it, there are lot of bugs in this game.

-Awful localization. The english is bad enough that it actually hurts the story of the game. Sometimes NPCs talk to you like they're your worst enemy, sometimes they talk like a surfer from the 90s, almost never do they speak in a way that immerses you in the setting.

-Hacking minigame is just bad. I don't know how to convey in words how frustrating it was.

-Combat is just bad. Enemies seems to have omnipresent knowledge of where you are at all times. They will stream at you single file for minutes on end while you murder them like cattle on a conveyor belt. Your npc allies are incredibly stupid, they do a better job of blocking doorways than they do of helping you in any meaningful way.

Unless you absolutely must play a cyberpunk game this very instant, I recommend staying far far away from this game.
  61. Aug 18, 2011
    This game is extremely overrated.

This game is extremely overrated.

This is supposed to be a cyberpunk of sort, but the best strategy still is "shoot everything that moves". Sure, you may hack your way into the enemy's mind, too bad the hacking minigame is too slow for a game where every enemy keeps respawning around you. So, let's say you're hidden in a dark dark alley and start hacking. I don't know if all respawning enemies are already aware of your presence or they just have a jedi like intuition, point is unless you're using the cloak ability anything can see you, even when they're too far for you to see them yourself. So now you're under attack. What would you do? Of course, close the hacking window and shoot back! TOO BAD pressing "esc" brings you back to the pause menu. You have to click on the X button in the upper right to close the window. But that's not all for clunky controls: you have to manually reload most of your weapons by hitting "r", even when they're completely empty, which is exactly the kind of useless mechanic that adds nothing to the gameplay and only makes it more frustrating. Some psy powers look a bit clunky as well, but at least they work. Speaking of clunky: this game could have used a basic tutorial corridor. You will of course see a few messages on screen, and these messages will point you to watch the video tutorials.

It's also supposed to be an rpg. Enjoy your lack of any kind of map then! Oh, and did I mention that your "base" is a ridiculously huge, scarcely lit area? You will need 2 to 4 minutes to reach a vendor. Graphics: here is another flaw. Having either almost monochome environments or huge, dimly lit areas mostly painted in shades of orange and teal gets boring very soon, even sooner that being killed by instagib weapons every now and then. Beside, you can't actually hide in a dark corner unless you already are completely invisible, so there's no excuse for the chronic lack of actual light. Word of notice here: if you actually LIKE orange and teal rubbish, as some people actually do, consider this a 4/10.

So here's the thing with this game: if this was an half life 2 mod, I'd rate it 6/10 which could easily become 8/10 if someone decided to improve this game and polish all those clunky mechanics. This however isn't a mod, I actually had to pay 20â
  62. Aug 17, 2011
    Truly,I can say with a straight face, that E.Y.E is the indie equivalent of a diamond in the rough. But make no mistake, this game is not for the casual player. It will take an open mind and an open heart if you want to see past some occasionally frustrating designs. E.Y.E is like a Deus Ex, Stalker, Half-Life... thing, but manages to carve out its own identity as a FPS/RPG. First off isTruly,I can say with a straight face, that E.Y.E is the indie equivalent of a diamond in the rough. But make no mistake, this game is not for the casual player. It will take an open mind and an open heart if you want to see past some occasionally frustrating designs. E.Y.E is like a Deus Ex, Stalker, Half-Life... thing, but manages to carve out its own identity as a FPS/RPG. First off is the gameplay, and I its fair to say that E.Y.E may have some of the deepest character progression I have ever seen. The game divides its play styles into three major branches, combat, tech, and psychic, as well as any combination of these abilities. The genius of E.Y.E shines through when you use cyber jump to leap across rooftops or spawning a miniature clone squadron. Or maybe the ability to hack anything and everything will appeal to you. Or maybe you just want to go guns blazing. E.Y.E is prepared to accommodate any gamers playing style. Every mission is free-roaming, there are literally hundreds of ways to reach your objective. The game won't stop there though, its determined to immerse you in the E.Y.E experience. Die to many times, or fight to many horrors, and a weak willed character will slip into a schizophrenic madness. Death is common, and it can be cruel and merciless to the point that you may sustain permanent injuries (although none of these are a serious disadvantage), and the AI seems to possess some form of omniscience that makes stealth a sometimes frustrating challenge. The gunplay is rock solid. Its fast, frantic, and hard. Pistols alone pack a heavy punch in the proper hands, and enemies have little health, but so do you. The result is intense firefights that will have you paranoid with your back against the wall, scanning desperately for that drone you THINK you killed. The universe of E.Y.E is hit or miss. In my case, I was so baffled by the game's universe that I couldn't help but read every archive, journal, and dialogue in the hopes I could gain comprehension. But even after my first 5 hours of game time I realized I hadn't even scratched the surface of the plot. While that may intrigue some players, like myself, I know it may displease other, who will simply be overwhelmed by all this information (the occasionally poorly translated text doesn't help much either). Another hit and miss feature is E.Y.E's UI. While I like the idea of manual reloading and the quick wheel, there is quite a steep learning curve for navigating the menus. The tutorials also are not well designed, you may be better off reading a wiki, or asking a friend to explain things to you. As far as graphics go, its nothing face-melting. The game is built on the Source engine, and while its still a solid program, the graphics have Source's aged graphics, with some objects looking blocky and textures aren't particularly impressive. The game does have some unique environments, and weapons look surprisingly good as well, but it won't help you ignore some mediocre enemy designs, and some near empty spaces. Lastly the game does have some glitches, most of which are not game-breaking, but Streum has promised frequent updates to and are already pledging competitive multiplayer in addition to the already earth shaking 32-player co-op. E.Y.E is nowhere near perfection, and yet it may be the most ambitious and impressive indie game I have ever purchased. In the end E.Y.E will garner two opinions. To the normal gamer, E.Y.E is apt to come off as unforgiving, confusing, and overambitious. And yet to the gamer who wants something different, something truly original, E.Y.E is the $20 godsend you've been asking for. Expand
  63. Aug 15, 2011
    This is a rare indie gem. If you like Sci-Fi, FPS, RPGs and huge open levels then this game is for you. Though it's built on the older Source engine, the game world is simply stunning. What sucks you in is the atmosphere. It's truly a unique game world and will leave you wanting to explore the levels thoroughly. The RPG system is very deep. You can play your character in many different wayThis is a rare indie gem. If you like Sci-Fi, FPS, RPGs and huge open levels then this game is for you. Though it's built on the older Source engine, the game world is simply stunning. What sucks you in is the atmosphere. It's truly a unique game world and will leave you wanting to explore the levels thoroughly. The RPG system is very deep. You can play your character in many different way depending on what build you like. Hacking, stealth, melee, sniper, assault style, ninja style, PSI abilities, cyber implants. The list goes on and on and on. One thing that stands out about EYE is that you can advance your character via both single & multiplayer. The coop is fantastic. The devs keep in good contact via the Steam forum for EYE and have vowed to patch and support their popular new game. This will be the best $20 you spent on a game in a long time! Expand
  64. Aug 15, 2011
    If you you strive for sheer excellence and the polish of a triple A title then this is not the game for you; although if you appreciate pure audacity and an expanse of different customizable features, a solid fps and a game which fully utilizes a experience that could only be possible with PC gaming; then I believe this is a perfect game for you. The only problem I can find with this gameIf you you strive for sheer excellence and the polish of a triple A title then this is not the game for you; although if you appreciate pure audacity and an expanse of different customizable features, a solid fps and a game which fully utilizes a experience that could only be possible with PC gaming; then I believe this is a perfect game for you. The only problem I can find with this game is the font size within the menu and this is such a minor grievance which is barely even worth a mention.
    This game strives to break any preconceived notion about a fps and for this alone I am extremely happy with this purchase however this game will likely cause a vast amount of different opinions.
    Overall if you enjoy existing triple A titles and purchase this game then don't expect a Call of Duty like experience, however if your open to having your beliefs challenged and like the proposition of a 32 player co-op then you should buy this now!
  65. Aug 15, 2011
    I love Divine Cybermancy. With its gameplay and themes it references many of my all time favorite games. Deus Ex, for its open world feel, and character progression. Marathon for its intricate story telling. Planescape Torment, for its life loop theme. There is even an enemy that looks like the aliens from my favorite strategy game of all time, Space Hulk. Built on the Source Engine, itI love Divine Cybermancy. With its gameplay and themes it references many of my all time favorite games. Deus Ex, for its open world feel, and character progression. Marathon for its intricate story telling. Planescape Torment, for its life loop theme. There is even an enemy that looks like the aliens from my favorite strategy game of all time, Space Hulk. Built on the Source Engine, it has been crafted to a gun gameplay that is far more fun than Half Life 2 in my staste. The guns feel meaty, and are just play fun to use. This game has a finely crafted story behind it, which tickles the imagination. Very few games in the history of video games have accomplished this. The feeling of uncovering a deeply layered story. Marathon (and old fps mac game) was the first game that ever accomplished this. I have great respect for this indie developer, with its limited resources, it has made a truely unique game that every fps or cyberpunk fan needs to try! Expand
  66. Aug 13, 2011
    E.Y.E. is a decent game that although is lacking in some parts makes up for it in others. Still, I can't play this game because every 30 minutes it crashes.
  67. Aug 11, 2011
    EYE suffers from too broad a scope. The result is a loss of focus and features and mechanics not implemented or executed as well as they could have been. For example, similar to X-COM, EYE allows players to research different weapons and technology, allocating a number of scientists to research a particular item over time. When complete, the researched item awards certain benefits orEYE suffers from too broad a scope. The result is a loss of focus and features and mechanics not implemented or executed as well as they could have been. For example, similar to X-COM, EYE allows players to research different weapons and technology, allocating a number of scientists to research a particular item over time. When complete, the researched item awards certain benefits or unlocks new research options for the player. The game, however, never explains what benefits each piece of research will yield leaving the player to blindly throw money into items he can only hope will provide benefits to his particular character class or style of play. Players can also invest in passive bonuses which are much better explained and therefore more relevant in sculpting a preferred play style or class. EYE features a good variety of weapons, skills, and abilities that truly provide a breadth of options in how players approach the game. Do you hack the cyberbrain of an enemy trooper, possess him, and force him to kill his comrades? Do you use PSI powers to create clones of yourself and assault head on? Do you cloak, stealthily moving to high ground to pick off enemies with a silenced sniper rifle? Do you teleport into their ranks, mercilessly cutting them apart with a two-handed sword? This variety, coupled with the open ended level design, provide a great deal of freedom in how players decide to approach the game and is perhaps EYE's best feature. However, the only introduction players receive to this vast swath of game mechanics is a pull up menu of tutorial videos. The videos explain the basics of every feature, but don't answer every question, leaving players to discover much on their own. This can be frustrating at first and may lead to confusion about how to level a character toward a specific class or play style or what certain attributes do. Another excellent feature is character continuity. The profile players create for the single player campaign is the same character players use in multiplayer. Of course, players also have the option of creating a separate profile just for multiplayer if they so desire. This means a player with a level 20 character can play the campaign cooperatively with his friend's level 1 character. Coop play is also a blast and best with 2 or 3 players though the game support up to 4. It's great fun coordinating how to tackle mission objectives with your friends based on each player character's strengths. The singleplayer campaign is short, but multiple endings may draw players back for another run. When you complete the game, it starts of from the beginning, but you retain your items, money, character level, and stats. I don't know, however, if the game automatically raises the difficulty for the new game. Expand
  68. Aug 11, 2011
    Like most of players playing this game for first time, i was confused many things all together, no introduction only a list of boring tutorials, an strange history and enviroment but every time i play this game again likes me more and more, its have much variety, strong and dificult IA, enemies everywhere you never safe must run, hide, cloak, kill everytime. Definitely a good andLike most of players playing this game for first time, i was confused many things all together, no introduction only a list of boring tutorials, an strange history and enviroment but every time i play this game again likes me more and more, its have much variety, strong and dificult IA, enemies everywhere you never safe must run, hide, cloak, kill everytime. Definitely a good and innovative game but needs to improve its inventory system and weapons suply Expand
  69. Aug 11, 2011
    First I must say that If you have problems understanding things like the â
  70. Aug 10, 2011
    An Ambitious but flawed game, E.Y.E. has a strong artistic vision, robust RPG mechanics, and old-school run-n-gun shooting (and stabbing and PSI powering and hacking...). Though it's marred by numerous flaws, notably a complete lack of introduction to the game systems, it's still a compelling game with seamlessly integrated single and multiplayer. If you're a Blade Runner fan or a devoteeAn Ambitious but flawed game, E.Y.E. has a strong artistic vision, robust RPG mechanics, and old-school run-n-gun shooting (and stabbing and PSI powering and hacking...). Though it's marred by numerous flaws, notably a complete lack of introduction to the game systems, it's still a compelling game with seamlessly integrated single and multiplayer. If you're a Blade Runner fan or a devotee of Deus Ex or STALKER, you ought to enjoy your time with E.Y.E Expand
  71. Aug 9, 2011
    At best I find you can play it for 30 minutes at a time. After this it tends to suffer from being overly ambitious with a very hard to access player interface which often leads you to become a bit frustrated (In particular with the hacking option etc) It also requires a lot of buttons, I have an inferno mouse and still struggle to smoothly transition between a lot of the options for yourAt best I find you can play it for 30 minutes at a time. After this it tends to suffer from being overly ambitious with a very hard to access player interface which often leads you to become a bit frustrated (In particular with the hacking option etc) It also requires a lot of buttons, I have an inferno mouse and still struggle to smoothly transition between a lot of the options for your character. As well as this due to the lack of active tutorial (with on text based instruction) you often have little idea of how to level your character up or what certain aspects do

It also suffers from what a lot of indie developers fall trap to, due to the small crew working on it the graphics are very limited. And although using the source engine is very behind the times and lacks any depth of character round in more recent games.
  72. Dec 4, 2011

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    One word is enough to describe the experience of playing E.Y.E.: variety. As an FPS/RPG hybrid, the game offers so many options for your character, from the DNA in the genes to the kind of armor worn. [February 2012]
  2. Oct 24, 2011
    It's no masterpiece, but full of surprises. It may take some time to get into the game, but the different ways to progress in the game are motivating.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    If you're bored of all those standard issue FPS games, E.Y.E. is definitely worth trying. Don't mistake this indie cyberpunk FPS for Deus Ex imitation, for it surely isn't. It has fresh ideas, vast well-designed levels, wide array of nice weapons, cybernetic skills and PSI powers and an interesting plot. The game is almost too ambitious for its own good, which makes it cumbersome at times and hard to approach. It has also some minor bugs yet to be squashed. But even with its flaws E.Y.E. is something very unique. [Oct 2011]