6.5

1. Dec 23, 2013
    Imagine Mario Kart landed on PC with the karts changed to mini F1 cars and the characters changed to mini F1 racers. Yeah you get this game.

This game has plentiful locations to drive and the graphics are fine for me. However, the whole game is too cartoon that even Mario Kart looks more realistic than this game. However, the game is not as fun as Mario Kart.

First, the gameplay is
    not very good. For mario-kart-style games, there're always boosts and drifts and powerups. I know F1 cars don't drift, but the game is not realistic already (you won't see real F1 cars get boost when rolling through a boost pad) and the game is somehow boring without boosting, boosting and boosting. Also, the keys are actually unfair that if AI got it, he will be going to the secret passage for 101% and go to the front like he's cheating. Even Mario Kart's routes are not as ridiculous as this.

Another issue is the control problem. I understand F1 cars are not like mario karts but I can't believe AI opponents can go through curves without braking meanwhile I have to press the down arrow once to go through it without crashing.

This game is fun but I think there's an age limit to this game, like 3-12. Teenagers or older will find this game pretty ...um... boring. I hate comparing games but this game is not very good when compared to other similar games.
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    While the game is fun for what it is There are no voices for Michael Schumacher or Nico Rosberg. I'm amazed that no reviewer that I can find anywhere, made any mention of this... so much for thorough in-depth reviews these days...
    The issue itself is small, but it's the spirit behind not completing the game that bothers me.
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    A good, Mario Kart-ish, type of racing for the PC. The game is not that expensive if you know where to look, and will provide you a couple of fun evenings with friends, whether they are racing next to you in splitscreen mode, or on the other side of the world in online play (Which supports up to 12 players), you're guaranteed to have fun. The lack of controller support, control customization, lack of online career mode, and the far too expensive DLC (5,00 euros for 1 track) mean I have to take 2 points off the perfect score. This game is only enjoyable if you buy and play it with friends, and if you look in the online menu, you'll find a ''hidden'' option for a lot of race types, like elimination, Pole Position, Refuel, and slalom. A good game, if you know where to look. Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    This is at best an indie game, the release does not warrant a full game or the hefty price. Some might call it a Mario kart clone but it is void of the charm and character you get in a Nintendo game.
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    This game wants to be a LEGO Racers successor, but the chaotic gameplay with some idiot ideas destroys the whole game experience. Anyway, playing with only friends without AI players, it can be a fun, but with AI players it's terrible.
  6. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    PROS: circuits, real drivers, graphics, power ups (a solid 10).
    CONS: broken multiplayer mode, unfair AI, fake female pink drivers (barely a 5).
    This game was perfect to have a break from the serious side of the F1 (i.e. F1 2012, by Codemasters too) but the broken matchmaking in multiplayer mode killed the fun.
  7. Dec 6, 2012
    Really fun game, loved every moment of it, not for everybody though.But I'm not sure I would have the patience for a relatively primitive interface from an older game like that and i was planning on checking out this update. A side by side would probably make that decision for me.
  8. Nov 17, 2012
    I really liked every aspect of this game. In my opinion it is important to appreciate this game as more of an indie title rather than a AAA. I have enjoyed this game most when playing local 4 player split screen, it's quick and easy to pick up which is my favorite characteristic in most things in life.

Haters will say "Mario blah blah blah moan moan moan", but as far as Mario clones
    this is a really polished example. The cut scenes are a good with obvious time going into the tools used. Into racing games? Give this a chance. Collapse
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe it's because I'm a F1 fan... but I really love this game. The driving model is what most will complain about the game... but if F1 cars don't drift, why should this game drift like every other Mario Kart clone out there? This driving model is still good arcade-style fun, but rewards good racing line and taking advantage of the KERS boost out of the marked corners. Most of all... the track design is awesome with mixing parts of the real life circuits with regionally themed fantasy sections. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2012

Interesting race game at first glance fires all of its ammunition in the opening ten minutes of play. After that there is nothing more to offer. [Jan 2013]
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    The whole thing feels a bit bland. [March 2013, p.73]
  3. Jan 29, 2013
    A fun, light-hearted take on Formula 1, F1 Race Stars offers a great opportunity to beat any of well-known drivers, including the current champion of the world.