Face Noir PC

6.3

1. Aug 4, 2013
    A good homage with a few typos.

Face Noir did a very good job of giving me the noir-style storyline I was hoping for complete with twists and turns, but was not a total success do to the introduction of certain supernatural elements that felt a bit contrived. Overall, the game was interesting with puzzles that tested my skills and characters that (while numerous) I cared about deeply.
    A good homage with a few typos.

Pros include a cool mechanic where you connect facts to formulate new questions, a dark storyline with a bit of humor mixed in, and a great soundtrack with some nice instrumental jazz to set the mood.

Cons include Italian-to-English conversion problems, issues with historical accuracy, and a horrific options menu including no possible way to change aspect ratio.

If you're into film noir, then you'll like Face Noir provided you're not a stickler for historical accuracy and you're willing to forget a little supernatural deus ex machina. It did well and considering that it's their first game, it did better than I expect.

As always, full video review on my YouTube channel.
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Many years ago, this game may have been a bit more appealing. Voice acting and artwork are reasonable. The story is "not bad" like a midday movie that you don't bother turning off because it's not offensive. It offers an interesting "join the dots/clues" mechanic, but other than that, it's not what I'd call progress in Adventure Gaming.
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    I rarely play games with such smart gameplay and atmosphere. It require common sense, which is something rare these days on video games ^^;

Almost everything makes sense on this game, and the gameplay is smart enough to prevent the player to simply randomly click everywhere to unlock events without knowing what hes doing. The characters are also nice and well made. One of the

The characters are also nice and well made.

One of the problem/weakness I noticed was the streets and others locations were a bit too clean and lacking some population. Would have been nice to meet some random people on the streets. People asking you for a smoke, lose womens, poor souls sleeping on the street, angry people on phones, cats walking, ect... But no big deal. I read there was only 2 devs, and the amount of work they provided is just insane.

1. Oct 24, 2013
    A boring point-and-click adventure game offering some good ideas. Unfortunately, they are buried under a big pile of junk, unimpressive voice-acting, uninteresting intermezzos, and low production value. This is why a gamer will fall asleep instead of having fun.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 9, 2013
    Jack Del Niro is no Philip Marlowe, not a mite. However, if you're willing to accept compromises, then this classical "noir" Detective Story will know how to warm your heart. [Issue#233]
  3. CD-Action
    Aug 28, 2013
    Neither weak voice acting nor outdated visuals managed to ruin this skilful homage to Chandler. [CD-Action 10/2013, p.59]