7.6

1. omi
    May 23, 2013
    A lot of improvements to its base game. Especially graphic haul is impressive.
    I strongly recommend this to any fan of turn based strategy game and tactical battles.
    Game play is fun details are amazing. AI seems a little bit feeble at the moment I have experienced but I haven't tried high settings. I applaud developers for sticking with their game, and making it shine I hope they
    A lot of improvements to its base game. Especially graphic haul is impressive.
    I applaud developers for sticking with their game, and making it shine I hope they deserve the well earned recognition for this.
  2. May 22, 2013
    I don't normally bother with reviews but I wanted to in this case to support this game.

This game is a really solid fantasy 4X turn based strategy game, in the tradition of games like Master of Magic or Age of Wonders. I highly recommend it to all strategy fans, especially turnbased 4X fans and grand strategy fans. RTS fans might find it too slow for their tastes. Additionally RPG fans who want to try their hand at a strategy fantasy game might want to give it a shot.

I bought the first elemental game a few years ago and it was pretty terrible. Stardock has been supporting their game ever since and we soon got the next game Fallen Enchantress, which was a decent entry to the genre but still was all that compelling.

Now with Legendary Heroes the game is much more focused and polished and it's finally a very good game. I've been playing the LH beta the last few weeks and I just can't stop playing. they've finally captured that one more turn feeling that makes for a great strategy game and that's the highest compliment I can give to any game developer.

Bottom line: If you are a 4X strategy fan, this game is worth your time.
  3. May 22, 2013
    What a great game. I'm lucky I gave fallen enchantress a try, otherwise I would have missed this gem. Thanks a lot Stardock, I'll be playing Legendary Heroes for a long time to come.
  4. May 24, 2013
    There are so many ways to play this game. being able to make your own faction and units give endless combinations. The combat is not based on luck, so if you plan accordingly you can influence the outcome. the world you play in gives a challange, with roaming monsters upto huge dragons. While the graphics are not top notch it all looks good.
    It has been a while since i hvae had so much
    It has been a while since i hvae had so much fun and addictiveness with a game.
  5. May 22, 2013
    best fantasy strategy game i've ever played.
    i was big fan of Master of Magic long time, but i don't need to return anymore.
    if you have ever played MoM Civ age of wonders series, this game is very easy to understand , you won't need to read manuals a lot good UI and ingame tutorials will lead you to game world quickly. i can highly recommend this game even if you have never played
    best fantasy strategy game i've ever played.
    i was big fan of Master of Magic long time, but i don't need to return anymore.
    i can highly recommend this game even if you have never played 4X style games.
  6. May 24, 2013
    While being far from perfect, this is the best civ-building strategy-game incorporating magic as a major feature ever made. The overhaul has improved the original Fallen Enchantress a bunch, and it has the same "just-one-more-turn" effect on me as the good civ-games have. A gem, this one.
  7. May 22, 2013
    Outstanding! If you like the mod for Civ 4 called Fall from Heaven 2 then you should like this. It was developed by the same guy and now backed by a reputable company in Stardock. This is Civ 4 set in a fantasy realm and done very well.

The graphics might look a little cartoony but who cares. So did Borderlands, X-Com, and Torchlight. I'll take a point off for diplomacy as it could use a little love but not a biggie. The game is stable and runs smooth. And above all else...it's a finished product. (are you listening StarDrive?)

Honestly, I have no idea what game the reviewer from Thunderbolt played. "Building an army is a complex endeavor?" What? I want to build a Spearman...click. Done. Ok, now I want to build Spearmen riding a horse...click, click. Done. Did the reviewer think that Civ 4 or 5 was complex?

Folks, if you like 4x games then this is a good addition to your library.
  8. May 24, 2013
    This is an excellent game for anyone with a passing interest in turn based strategy games. I honestly do believe this is the spiritual successor to Age of Wonders or the closest we shall get to it, which is something I've always dreamed would happen.At first I pirated the game and on the second day after I went and purchased it off Steam to support the developers in what way I can, I wasThis is an excellent game for anyone with a passing interest in turn based strategy games. I honestly do believe this is the spiritual successor to Age of Wonders or the closest we shall get to it, which is something I've always dreamed would happen.At first I pirated the game and on the second day after I went and purchased it off Steam to support the developers in what way I can, I was that impressed. It has so many layers from the research, the rpg-style exploration and questing to the empire building and warfare. Stardock has really impressed me with how much support they have gone and given this game, it is a light and day difference in terms of quality from the original Elemental to Legendary Heroes and this tells me they really do care about their product and their support for such a great game will not be ending anytime soon. I'll end by saying that the "one more turn" feeling we all love and crave has been captured very well so far for me with Legendary Heroes and what more can you ask for with a game like this? Turn based strategy fans shouldn't even hesitate on giving this game a try and spreading the word. I've been greatly impressed with the amount of work and detail put into this game. Cheers! Expand
  9. Jun 3, 2013
    Good game with a few flaws here and there, and certainly an improvement in the series. If you are looking for a fantasy TBS 4x strategy then you should at least think about giving this one a try. My overall rating for the game would probably be around a 8.5, but since morons come in here and give the game a blatantly poor review for no other reason than being a jerk, I've decided toGood game with a few flaws here and there, and certainly an improvement in the series. If you are looking for a fantasy TBS 4x strategy then you should at least think about giving this one a try. My overall rating for the game would probably be around a 8.5, but since morons come in here and give the game a blatantly poor review for no other reason than being a jerk, I've decided to offset that with giving it a 10. It really is sad that Metacritic allows such nonsensical review scores from folks who are blatantly being unrealistic. Expand
  10. May 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game. I played for 60 hours, over three weeks, in the game. I started with a small map, but that was too crowded, so I then played on a massive world with high monsters. Throughout the game: you feel that your choices matter, especially in the early game and when leveling up your cities and heroes. The end-game is a bit weak, when you already know that you will win.I really enjoyed the game. I played for 60 hours, over three weeks, in the game. I started with a small map, but that was too crowded, so I then played on a massive world with high monsters. Throughout the game: you feel that your choices matter, especially in the early game and when leveling up your cities and heroes. The end-game is a bit weak, when you already know that you will win. The strategic game is well done, the map tile graphics are very varied and pretty enough. The tactical game could use a bit more variety in maps and placement of the creatures. There are way more spells and skills accessible, but you end up using the same few spells/skills. Expand
  11. May 30, 2013
    GOOD: Whoops, 4am again? I forgot about time so completely sometimes because playing it is so much fun and so addictive at times. The replayability is immense. So a lot of worth for your bucks. There is so much you can play and work with, that the ways of playing are immense...
    BAD: There are some minor glitches in the game the heros look very similar and so on.
    Really happy I finally
    Really happy I finally bought the game!
  12. Sep 13, 2013
    One of the best games of 2013. Worked right out of the box, no serious bugs, was sold at a reasonable £25 full price. £12.50 if you owned the previous game Fallen Enchantress. Game play is epic in scale and very very addictive and it is moddable. I have recommended this game to many players this year and every one of them like it.... So I am giving it 9. If you like X4 strategy games, thisOne of the best games of 2013. Worked right out of the box, no serious bugs, was sold at a reasonable £25 full price. £12.50 if you owned the previous game Fallen Enchantress. Game play is epic in scale and very very addictive and it is moddable. I have recommended this game to many players this year and every one of them like it.... So I am giving it 9. If you like X4 strategy games, this is a safe bet for your money. A nice upgrade on the original too. Stardock are a company that have treated their customers well for decades, so always keep an eye out for their games. PS I have nothing what so ever to do with stardock.... I am just an impressed customer. Plus the owner talks a lot about supporting new PC hardware in the future and that always gets my vote. Expand
  13. Jul 19, 2013
    A fantastic turn-based fantasy 4X game! Great combat, awesome city management and loads and loads of customisation of pretty much everything! This is a must have for everyone who loves strategy games!
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    Excellent fantasy TBS that combines elements from the Civilization franchise, the Age of Wonders series, and, of course, the memorable Master of Magic, grandpa of the genre!

Besides being a pretty game, Fallen Enchantress: LH features something that has become a rare sight in strategy games: A competent, non-cheating (on most settings) AI that will actually hand you your butt by simply playing better than you. It's really refreshing in a genre where you normally either get AIs that bore the stuff out of you, or AIs that play by completely different rules and then steamroll you with the 15372 extra units that they got out of nowhere. Brad really shows, again, that few people in the game industry understand AI programming as well as he does.

The downside is the lack of multiplayer options. I don't need them, but I would like to have them. I still give this a 9/10 because it's not super important to me (because the AI is so good), but releasing a TBS in 2013 without any form of MP is a little off and a missed opportunity.

It's still the best fantasy TBS in quite a few years. Don't skip it if you're a fan of the genre.
  15. Jun 9, 2013
    The version I'm playing is currently 1.1 and it is such an awesome game already! I can only imagine that it will continue to get better and better. A terrific 4x TB strategy game. Great job Stardock!!
  16. Jun 6, 2013
    This game is a heap of fun to play. Massive armies, mighty heroes. It has that one more turn characteristic. Takes me back to days of playing Civ and Mater of Magic. There are a few little niggles but no majors. Very stable never had a single crash in over 80 hours of play.
  17. Oct 26, 2014
    Elemental has come a long way, indeed. Stardock has learned from its mistakes and Legendary Heroes is now a very good game. I appreciate receiving the game for free since I bought the original Elemental shortly after release. It's fun and challenging with a good amount of variety and replayability.
    There are still areas that could be improved such as animation bugs and combat glitches and I would have given this an 8.5 but the system on metacritic doesn't allow it. It's definitely better than an 8 so 9 it is.
  18. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game with many aspects and lots to do. Combat is tactical with many skills to utilize. Love that there is more than one way to win the game other than eliminating all other factions, such as completing a quest or casting a special spell. Only complaint is the the user interface could use some improvement. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2013
    This might have one of the worst names in gaming history but don't let that put you off. Instead imagine how awesome a cross between Civ and an old school top down RPG would be. Then realize that it exists and is in fact this game. Superb. Prepare to lose hours and hours of your life.
  20. Jun 8, 2013
    Forget Elemental. Forget "vanilla" Fallen Enchantress. Stardock has FINALLY gotten it right! This is the game that finally delivers the promise we first caught an ever so slight glimpse of in Elemental. Yeah, it took them three (3!!!) separate, and different iterations to get it where it should have always been, but hey, at least they got it. And did they ever get it. This game is a deep,Forget Elemental. Forget "vanilla" Fallen Enchantress. Stardock has FINALLY gotten it right! This is the game that finally delivers the promise we first caught an ever so slight glimpse of in Elemental. Yeah, it took them three (3!!!) separate, and different iterations to get it where it should have always been, but hey, at least they got it. And did they ever get it. This game is a deep, and satisfying mix of a Role Playing Game and a Turn Based Strategy game. It has all the deep, and satisfying character advancement of an RPG, blended with that ever-so-addictive "just one more turn" feel of Civ. It's very easy to sit down and start playing, only to look up hours later and realize hours have passed without you even noticing. If you're even the most casual fan of TBS games, and enjoy RPG's, you owe it to yourself to give this a go.

I also have to say, you really have to respect Stardock for how they handled all this, if EA or Activision had been publishing this, Elemental would have been released, it'd have bombed, and that would have been it. But thank the gods that it was self-published b/c it gave Stardock the opportunity to keep working on it til they got it right. Not only did they keep working on it til they got it, but if you bought Elemental, Stardock gives you this, and all future expansions and iterations, for FREE!!!! Stardock has really earned my respect, it's not often you see a dev/publisher w/ such integrity. They could have just said, "oh well, Elemental sucked, sorry 'bout that, try our next game, it'll be better we promise!". But they didn't, they said, "damn, this really turned out terrible, please accept our heartfelt apology, and b/c of this, we will give you any future iterations of this game to you, sans gratis!". Bravo.
  21. Aug 8, 2013
    Best game ever in 4x fantasy strategy world. I had so many hours spent utterly enjoying myself. It started as a hate-love thing because I couldnt get over several things: strange, rounded corners graphics (but later, when played on best settings and seeing the details this game excells with I started to love the strange graphics!), then the hate for not having elves which love playing, noBest game ever in 4x fantasy strategy world. I had so many hours spent utterly enjoying myself. It started as a hate-love thing because I couldnt get over several things: strange, rounded corners graphics (but later, when played on best settings and seeing the details this game excells with I started to love the strange graphics!), then the hate for not having elves which love playing, no underground terrain, no dimensional doors like in masters of arcane, getting stomped all the time by strange and hard monsters (until I got the way of evading doom...), no multiplayer, and no ships/naval units....All of that and it really rocks my mind. and ween you add stormmod or other mods this game goes to fantasy dream come true.... Pure 10. I feel pity for the guy having problems in installing it, but he should try getting support@stardock.com to help out, guys there are great for help> Expand
  22. Apr 5, 2014
    It has the empire building of Civilization, the unit building of an RPG, and combat like final fantasy tactics. It's an extraordinary game that is definitely worth a buy if you're a fan of the above genres, and I've spent hundreds of hours on it. You can create your own faction (think a faction in an RTS game) and create your own leader. You can play random maps or pre-made ones. There isIt has the empire building of Civilization, the unit building of an RPG, and combat like final fantasy tactics. It's an extraordinary game that is definitely worth a buy if you're a fan of the above genres, and I've spent hundreds of hours on it. You can create your own faction (think a faction in an RTS game) and create your own leader. You can play random maps or pre-made ones. There is a multitude of quests and random events. Once in game, you can customize each military unit, from their traits to the armor and weapons they are wearing. There are literally hundreds of possible unit configurations.

Sounds overwhelming, right? Well, it is. There's a price to pay when you're attempting to make a game that combines the best aspects of Civ, FF Tactics, and Baldur's gate. The game is quite difficult to understand, and there's no real tutorial, or even a campaign for that matter. if you're not one to learn as you go, this game is going to be difficult for you to get into.

There are also serious balance problems when it comes to the tougher difficulties. Monsters might ignore the enemy AI units, while they focus yours, so they end up expanding to 5-6 cities while you're trying to build up an army to expand. Some leader/hero classes are weak, while others are incredibly strong (mages).

If you love the genre, you will absolutely adore this game. it has its faults, but it's so incredibly complex and fun (if you like the genre) that it's easy to overlook them and spend hundreds of hours. You can easily put 50-60 hours alone into designing armies and units. If i was rating this game on how much fun i've had, I would definitely give it a 10/10. However, if I"m being as unbiased as possible, I would give it an 8/10.
  23. Jul 18, 2013
    Great game similar to Civ and HoMM. Previous titles in the series were plagued with bugs and poor mechanics but it looks like Legendary Heroes finally pulled off what the series was trying to be the entire time. My only complaint is that the AI does dwindle in the late game which means that if you make it that far without getting taken out then you're probably going to win regardless. ThatGreat game similar to Civ and HoMM. Previous titles in the series were plagued with bugs and poor mechanics but it looks like Legendary Heroes finally pulled off what the series was trying to be the entire time. My only complaint is that the AI does dwindle in the late game which means that if you make it that far without getting taken out then you're probably going to win regardless. That said, you have to make it to that point first, and the AI is quite good during the early to mid game. Expand
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    I feel that this is a rare gem hidden among the many genre of games nowadays. I used to be an avid fan of heroes of might and magic 3 and a little into Civ. This is a combination of both genre, with civ style building pattern n HOMM style of combat. The heroes are interesting and varies in play styles, with 5 possible routes to develop them. The rpg side is interesting and fighting theI feel that this is a rare gem hidden among the many genre of games nowadays. I used to be an avid fan of heroes of might and magic 3 and a little into Civ. This is a combination of both genre, with civ style building pattern n HOMM style of combat. The heroes are interesting and varies in play styles, with 5 possible routes to develop them. The rpg side is interesting and fighting the world bosses is fun too. You are also able to design your own units which is a major plus side for a strategy game. However, I feel that the building style becomes more of a number game of addition which becomes dry after awhile. There should also be more variety in the units recruited by each race and make them more useful (other than juggernauts). I think there is potential in developing it into a strong position of rpg/strategy games with more monsters, loots etc After being disappointed with big budget games with poor content and over hyped release (Diablo 3, Rome 2 etc), it is comforting to know that there are a few companies that do listen and work on their games to make them better and better. Get it on steam sale if you can and you will find yourself trapped with the "one more turn"! Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    One of the most addicting games of it's kind that I have ever played. It has one of the "one more turn then i'll go to sleep" factor of Civilization. The fusion of city building, role-playing and turn-based strategy is done brilliantly and adds a lot of depth and replay value. It's quite easy to get into especially if you have played this type of game before, but some of the deeper gameOne of the most addicting games of it's kind that I have ever played. It has one of the "one more turn then i'll go to sleep" factor of Civilization. The fusion of city building, role-playing and turn-based strategy is done brilliantly and adds a lot of depth and replay value. It's quite easy to get into especially if you have played this type of game before, but some of the deeper game mechanics like the ability to design units are not made so obvious. Overall probably one of best i've played outside of the classic HoMM games.

Minor problems are the inconsistent ai behavior; pop-up notifications can get annoying.
  26. Aug 28, 2014
    Great game!
    Basically what Heroes of Might and Magic 4, 5 and 6 should have been.
    Everything is good about this game.
    It is a fusion of Masters of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic. A great idea, and successfully produced! Too many have great ideas and come out with a crappy game, but not these guys! :)
  27. Feb 1, 2014
    This is a very good game. Lots of replay ability. It is a mixture of several types of game.... Civilization (not nearly as good as Civ5 since that game is as good as it gets!), Might and Magic turn based style battles, with some quests thrown in. Definitely worth the purchase.

1. Jan 10, 2014
    One of those games that you sit down to play for half an hour and end up spending whole night with. It’s not flawless (e.g. it lacks a multiplayer mode) but you will not regret investing time in it. [01/2014, p.50]
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    Competition in the 4X space might seem quaint to some, but Stardock easily proves that there’s more than one great ruler who deserves fealty.
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    Legendary Heroes is yet another step forward for Stardock, If you are not familiar at all with Elemental, the studio’s previous effort, or other 4X fantasy strategy games, it may even surprise you. It’s just not a stand-out game.