Fallout 3 PC

7.9

1. Jul 25, 2012
    I was very anxious, coming from skyrim, to play this game. Awaiting the download, when I clicked "play" through steam, I had an error for .NET install while installing. After that, I spent at least a good 24 hours reading and trying different things to get this older game to work on my windows 7 system. I've gotten to the point where xp service pack 3 compatibility gives the gameI was very anxious, coming from skyrim, to play this game. Awaiting the download, when I clicked "play" through steam, I had an error for .NET install while installing. After that, I spent at least a good 24 hours reading and trying different things to get this older game to work on my windows 7 system. I've gotten to the point where xp service pack 3 compatibility gives the game anywhere to a few minutes to a couple hours gameplay till it crashes. So many other games of this time period I can play without any issues, or system customizations. I'm very disappointed with it, and if I could get the $5 back for it, I think I would. Better then spending all that time restarting the game because it has random crashes. I know now why Skyrim had crashing issues when it first came out. Bethesda needs to fix that engine. Expand
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    There's tons of first-person and third-person shooter games around these days, but Fallout 3 is 5th best shooter I've ever played after Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Snake Eater. The only problem I have with this game is that they went a little crazy on it being non-linear. A mini-map would have been nice to include in the gameplay, for example.
  3. Aug 1, 2012
    Fallout 3 is the best game ever, and all the haters are just sad that its not a turn-based game anymore. Well I think that the RPG/FPS format is genius. Also, who cares if it has a lot of bugs? Thats what makes the game so unique.
  4. Aug 6, 2012
    4/5 (good) There's just so many "WOW" moments in this game and the whole "after-a-massive-nuclear-war" thing builds up to such a rich atmosphere. Of course the game is not perfect and sometimes feels limited, but I suggest you try it. And please... try to "RP". You know you want to.
  5. Aug 7, 2012
    One of my all-time favourites. Credible world, long motivation, good graphics, great quests, nice jokes. A must for players of earlier Fallout games, and on one step with Fallout New Vegas. Thumbs up!
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    I absolutely love this game, I have played it over and over again and it still doesn't get boring. I'm not to sure what keeps me in it, maybe the ability to mod at your will or just the fact you can do what ever the heck you want. Yes, there is bugs, but there are mods to fix that. I'll admit the vanilla game of this can be pretty dull, but when you add mods its epic and never ending. TheI absolutely love this game, I have played it over and over again and it still doesn't get boring. I'm not to sure what keeps me in it, maybe the ability to mod at your will or just the fact you can do what ever the heck you want. Yes, there is bugs, but there are mods to fix that. I'll admit the vanilla game of this can be pretty dull, but when you add mods its epic and never ending. The story line is a little short, but still fun. There is defiantly more than enough place to explore, quests to find, and loot. Expand
  7. Sep 8, 2012
    I remember turning this game on when I first bought it for PC not having ANY idea what I was in for. I had little to no experience with an open world game and I didn't play Fallout 1 or 2. I was off to a slow start, in the vault and still not knowing what to expect. Once I moved out of the vault and into the world, that's when it all began. By "it all" I mean a truly wonderful gamingI remember turning this game on when I first bought it for PC not having ANY idea what I was in for. I had little to no experience with an open world game and I didn't play Fallout 1 or 2. I was off to a slow start, in the vault and still not knowing what to expect. Once I moved out of the vault and into the world, that's when it all began. By "it all" I mean a truly wonderful gaming experience. Fallout 3 did for me what no other games have in a while, get my full attention and for a continuously long time. This was the first title I played where I could make multiple choices that would lead to many different consequences. Also, you can play it in first or third person so it's like a FPS / Action RPG all-in-one . This game was amazingly fun, going around D.C. which really looked and felt like a post-apocalypse world. Incredibly rewarding, scary, and VERY satisfying are the words that come to mind. It was great exploring to collect new guns and bottle caps, trading and buying at the store, and leveling your character. You eventually become very powerful and able to basically run the city. This game brought me into the next level of PC gaming, and I am still thanking it and Bethesda to this day. Expand
  8. Sep 17, 2012
    Compared to Fallout:New Vegas, this game just didn't really appeal to me, it's boring atmosphere and bland characters made the experience somewhat less than entertaining..
  9. Sep 21, 2012
    Definitely a title worth buying, this game will never die. If you're trying this after coming from any Elder Scrolls titles, you must play this with an open mind, and not assume anything simply because of the developer. This game was never intended to be anything similar to any of the Elder Scrolls games.
  10. Nov 4, 2012
    PLAY THIS GAME. Its is simply amazing, playing the first 2 and tactics, I can tell you this lives up to and surpasses the originals. New Vegas was acceptable, but for 2008 this game is mind blowing.
  11. Oct 4, 2012
    I read here people were saying Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns. No, that's not the case. Contrary to Oblivion, EVERY place on the maps is worth visiting because you can always find something new. The leveling system is also much, much better. The main story may not be the best, but still more interesting than Oblivion's. The only thing that I find similar is that enemies get stronger wayI read here people were saying Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns. No, that's not the case. Contrary to Oblivion, EVERY place on the maps is worth visiting because you can always find something new. The leveling system is also much, much better. The main story may not be the best, but still more interesting than Oblivion's. The only thing that I find similar is that enemies get stronger way too quickly. Fallout 3 is full of secrets and crazy things to discover, where Oblivion is dull and boring and always the same. The add-ons give the cake its topping (okay, I'll credit Oblivion having a great add-on with Shivering Isles too). This game has nearly everything I wanted Oblivion to have and continues the spirit Morrowind had way better. Expand
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    amazing game you will play through once a year to re-experience at least that's what i do!

This is a game other games aspire to be a game that captures all the right elements an engages the abundance with pure entertainment an exuberant experience. You will feel like you are in the waste land the you become attached to your protagonist through the customization of him or her seeing that he or she is silent witch is what a rpg character should be.
  13. Jul 10, 2014
    I am a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2 and that's why I was really worried about this game. I didn't believe Bethesda has what it takes to create a game that will satisfy the fans. I found Oblivion disappointing at least, so when I first started Fallout 3 I didn't have high expectations.

The beginning is quite unusual, starting as a baby and taking your first steps, then progressing through some events of your childhood. It felt really weird, but it served as a decent tutorial. At the end of it we leave the vault. Blinding sun effect fades and we witness the postapocaliptic wasteland.

It was just how I imagined it, dirty, brutal and unforgiving, but this time from first person perspective - making it even more real. I was lost for countless hours wandering around, trying to survive, exploring, fighting... and listening to great radio podcasts. Finally I realised that I have some storyline to progress. Oh, right...

The main story was good, side quests are great, combat system is fluid and encounters are challenging. Exploring the world, wandering through wasteland is more fun than exploring of Oblivion or Skyrim will ever be. More importantly - watseland is unforgiving. It takes a really long time to feel comfortable wherever you go. You never know if a lonely abandoned town you decided to visit will be just a quiet place or a death trap full of deadly deathclaws that will rip through your power armour with ease.
    Will there be an epic item waiting there for you?
    Well, there was a really annoying talking armour that got me addicted to chems... and I loved it!

Sure, the character developement could be better, we could use some extra weapons, more quests, etc.; but at the end of the day I'm a vault dweller travelling through wasteland with his supermutant friend and listening to climatic songs on the radio.
  14. Oct 27, 2012
    This is Fallout 3. This is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I will explain why. This game offers a unique, First Person Shooter RPG Gameplay style. One of the best things about this game is the complete uniqueness and immersion you feel. The Fallout universe is vast, and every single little detail Bethesda put in to this game made it amazing. The story is incredible, and isThis is Fallout 3. This is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I will explain why. This game offers a unique, First Person Shooter RPG Gameplay style. One of the best things about this game is the complete uniqueness and immersion you feel. The Fallout universe is vast, and every single little detail Bethesda put in to this game made it amazing. The story is incredible, and is on the top of my list when I talk about great stories in games. The gameplay is also great, although not perfect (V.A.T.S. is gory and fun, but there are some problems with normal gunplay). The graphics are nice as well, and the atmosphere and look of the overall game add nicely to it. The soundtrack suits the game well, and it's extremely fun to roam around the wastes. Overall this game is incredible, and everybody who is a gamer should experience it. Immerse yourself into the Fallout universe, and have a great time... Expand
  15. Nov 3, 2012
    Certainly one of the best open world games I've ever played. The story, whilst not being great, is gripping, the characters interesting, the locations diversified.
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    I love this game. The customization is amazing, the world is huge and expansive and there isn't anywhere you can go without finding something interesting.
  17. Apr 22, 2014
    They didn't make it a real time FPS to "make it easier to start with for new players" thats what a tutorial is for, not a whole game. The reason they made is that some people don't like TB strategy games.

Problem is that hardcore fallout fans won't like this and people who like FPS might not like the necessity of using VATS mode which slows the game down and takes control away from you. Fact is the game is far away from FO3, not just in gameplay but visually the wasteland looks different. It looks alot more grey than FO3 is, not enough brown and green is missing that you should see "some" of, some plants here and there. Signs that the world is recovering.
    No Bosses. Missed opportunity.

The stories ending is also terrible, the story just felt empty at the end which is kind of really unforgivable for fallout. The endings are so abysmal, they do nothing to give any closure or even summarise all the trails and tribulations you had to go through upto that point.
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    Loved this game when it first came out. The arsenal of weapons to choose from was immense, the gore, gameplay, exploration, scare factor, and graphics were all superb. Story could have been better but the good points about the game more than make up for any shortfalls in that area.
  19. Sep 10, 2013
    Muddy textures made uglier by the game's green colour filter. The story is pretty basic and full of really gaping plotholes culminating in one of the most illogical endings in video game history. The gunplay is basic and due to the lack of iron sights and accuracy penalties when firing from the hip, VATS is incredibly overpowered. In Fallout 1 and 2, you could target specific points on anMuddy textures made uglier by the game's green colour filter. The story is pretty basic and full of really gaping plotholes culminating in one of the most illogical endings in video game history. The gunplay is basic and due to the lack of iron sights and accuracy penalties when firing from the hip, VATS is incredibly overpowered. In Fallout 1 and 2, you could target specific points on an enemy but it wasn't a gamebreaking mechanic because those titles were turn-based. Here you can just spam the VATS button, aim for the head because nothing else is worth shooting at and repeat. Expand
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a very fun first person rpg and I reccomend this game to anyone who can play through with bugs.The bugs really deduct the experience as some may even be game breaking, that's why i'm deducting 3 points from this but overall good game
  21. Mar 13, 2014
    This is a great game but I cant help but think it is vastly rated compared to fallout new vegas. I dont understand how fallout new vegas got an 8.3 but this game gets a 9.1 even if the graphics are the same new vegas has a superior story line and a much higher replay value.
  22. Mar 20, 2014
    Open world gameplay at it's finest. I had loads of fun just exploring the vast Capitol Wasteland rich with countless interesting set locations as well as random events/encounters. For the vast "emptiness" of the wasteland, I never felt bored once. You can even essentially choose to not play the story at all and still have loads of fun. Definitely worth buying.
  23. Aug 23, 2014
    Good game with lots of places to explore and quests to complete, it's a post-apocalyptic world where you carve your own path and choose to be good, evil or neutral.
  24. Jun 10, 2014
    Man, some will say it's fanboy-thing, but no, it's not, this game is one of the games of my life, because all is so immersive (despite a little in the graphics), and opened, just like every little thing in this game have an history, an detail, that can be founded and explored. If you like either FPS or RPG, buy this game, you'll won't regret it!
  25. Jun 21, 2014
    i am a fan of the fallout 3 to new vegas ik thats not a true fan but its really nice all i hv to say is bathesda if u make it anything like skyrim except graphics i will FREAGGIN HATE IT. skyrim was a good idea but u guys executed it wrong. correct your mistakes with fallout 4 and the new elder scrolls plz. thx if u do and screw u if u dont.

this games gets a 9.5/10 i love it to peices

this games gets a 9.5/10 i love it to peices but the low amount of ammo makes it challenging,..more challenging put it like that but without a challenge u only have skyrim so :P *srry bathesda* BUT YALL DID VERY WELL I HOPE YALL MAKE MORE AND I say this game should be bought by every1. thank your for reading i know the coding in the begining is hard but its worth it i might even make a download to make life easy for yall
  26. Jul 20, 2014
    This is NOT a traditional Fallout game. This is Bethesda's interpretation of a beloved game series. It succeeds in being a game, as I have found exactly one bug when trying to purposely break the game. It is more of an action RPG than a traditional RPG, but at the same time it offers a lot of options that make the game infinitely replayable for me. Not to mention that it is the largestThis is NOT a traditional Fallout game. This is Bethesda's interpretation of a beloved game series. It succeeds in being a game, as I have found exactly one bug when trying to purposely break the game. It is more of an action RPG than a traditional RPG, but at the same time it offers a lot of options that make the game infinitely replayable for me. Not to mention that it is the largest world Bethesda has ever designed. The game can run on older computers. My only major gripes with the game is that Speech is used very little, and that the game feels a little too easy. All in all, it is one of the most well designed games I've ever played. Expand
  27. Jul 21, 2014
    Initially I was disappointed, but the depth and (good but not great) refinement pulled it through. The subway system is a good example of this. It's a bit linear, but about mid-way through the game you'll probably find it a very rewarding experience. It wasn't until I started taking legs off with the Railway Rifle that I started really liking this game. Dialog options are the only realInitially I was disappointed, but the depth and (good but not great) refinement pulled it through. The subway system is a good example of this. It's a bit linear, but about mid-way through the game you'll probably find it a very rewarding experience. It wasn't until I started taking legs off with the Railway Rifle that I started really liking this game. Dialog options are the only real complaint I have. You can usually only choose between the saintly option or the evil option, nowhere in between. Expand
  28. May 27, 2015
    I have encountered feelings with this title because of its name "Fallout" with a consecutive number that has broken the saga of isometric RPG with this first person shooter. The vanilla game also is plain, with very poor NPC design, an easy RPG system and a linear story-line. But it has one of the strongest mod systems in history of games that makes it one of the best RPG and good-lookingI have encountered feelings with this title because of its name "Fallout" with a consecutive number that has broken the saga of isometric RPG with this first person shooter. The vanilla game also is plain, with very poor NPC design, an easy RPG system and a linear story-line. But it has one of the strongest mod systems in history of games that makes it one of the best RPG and good-looking games even in 2015. The NMCs textures with MMM and FWE are crucial to make this a game challenging, or better, play Fallout 3 with the FNV engine with Tale of Two Wastelands. Whatever, the GECK toolset is the best of this game and turns it incredibly deep. Expand
  29. Oct 1, 2014
    this is my most favoritest game i ever playeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  30. Oct 22, 2014
    THE best Bethesda game to date in my opinion. With over 200 hours in Fallout 3, the game just keeps on getting better. Counting aside some typical Bethesda bugs, this might just be the perfect game.
  31. Nov 18, 2014
    What really sells Fallout 3 for me is it's atmosphere. It does a great job of pulling you into the mindset of post-apocalyptia. It has a lot of flaws, certainly. The plot isn't really that great, nor is the combat system, but in my opinion it really does make up for those flaws. When I play Fallout 3, I really do feel like I'm a waster clinging to the last vestiges of humanity in aWhat really sells Fallout 3 for me is it's atmosphere. It does a great job of pulling you into the mindset of post-apocalyptia. It has a lot of flaws, certainly. The plot isn't really that great, nor is the combat system, but in my opinion it really does make up for those flaws. When I play Fallout 3, I really do feel like I'm a waster clinging to the last vestiges of humanity in a struggling world. I think the lore helps to cultivate this feeling, but other than that I can't really say. What I can say is that if you don't mind playing a greenish- brownish shooter, pick it up, you may be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  32. Dec 18, 2014
    One of the greatest game's I've very played. It's just so damn fun, and there's so much to do. You wouldn't imagine how many hours I put into this game. The graphics are sexy, the Storyline is really interesting, and there's also tons of side quests and other tasks to do so as well. They did a well done job with the DLC as well, I definitely recommend downloading the DLC. The achievementsOne of the greatest game's I've very played. It's just so damn fun, and there's so much to do. You wouldn't imagine how many hours I put into this game. The graphics are sexy, the Storyline is really interesting, and there's also tons of side quests and other tasks to do so as well. They did a well done job with the DLC as well, I definitely recommend downloading the DLC. The achievements also give you something to stride for so you can awesome experience. I got about 58 out of 72 done, it may take me a while but I won't give up. The way the game functions is a lot like Skyrim, so if you're a Skyrim fan you may like this a lot. If you ever have a chance and you see this at the store, I'd pick this up an a blink of an eye! Expand
  33. Jan 5, 2016
    buggy but brilliant when it works

-great radio -interesting NPCs -loads of quests and locations to visit -Companions (although they do die easily) -Can be good or evil -hours and hours of entertainment If you don't like wandering back and forth from place to place without a run button, then this game is not for you. If you like slowly wandering and discovering new places to
    buggy but brilliant when it works

-great radio
    -interesting NPCs
    -loads of quests and locations to visit
    -Companions (although they do die easily)
    -Can be good or evil
    -hours and hours of entertainment

If you don't like wandering back and forth from place to place without a run button, then this game is not for you. If you like slowly wandering and discovering new places to shoot and loot, then this is the game for you.

Warning: Save your game all the freaking time and look up the console commands
  34. Jan 4, 2015
    My all-time favorite video game. I like New Vegas, too, but I find Fallout 3 offers a better narrative.

Unfortunately, if this game didn't have modders that have made it work right/better, this game would be a buggier mess than it already is. NOTE: You need mods to play this game correctly. Some people don't like to expend the energy to do so, and I understand it's daunting, but it's so worth it. I couldn't imagine playing this game without the Wanderer's Edition mod.

No, you don't need to have played the first two titles to appreciate this one.

Though this is an FPS/3rd person adventure, do not come in expecting it to be CoD/BF with a gripping storyline. It's far deeper than that.
  35. Jan 10, 2015
    FO3 is a great game my favorite of all time...I read a lot of the "poor" reviews and its kinda a joke...most of these guys who hate the game are upset Bethesda owns the fallout franchise so in their mind Bethesda "ruined" it and didn't "stick to the lore" well its all nonsense...they're upset Bethesda owns fallout...the story was plenty good actually and it had a lot of randomness to it,FO3 is a great game my favorite of all time...I read a lot of the "poor" reviews and its kinda a joke...most of these guys who hate the game are upset Bethesda owns the fallout franchise so in their mind Bethesda "ruined" it and didn't "stick to the lore" well its all nonsense...they're upset Bethesda owns fallout...the story was plenty good actually and it had a lot of randomness to it, unlike new vegas.....fallout3 did have some flaws but its a very immerisive game when you first play it...I was immersed in the world for a year or so...hundreds of hours of playing easily Expand
  36. May 12, 2015
  37. Mar 30, 2015
    Bethesdas next gem, Fallout 3 takes place in the capital wasteland after an apocalyptic war. The player is placed inside of Vault 101, one of the few last known surviving vault in the wastes, not to mention the last sane vault. Unfortunately after years of constant stress to save the wasteland, the players father escapes the vault causing the inhabitants to go on a rampage. After aBethesdas next gem, Fallout 3 takes place in the capital wasteland after an apocalyptic war. The player is placed inside of Vault 101, one of the few last known surviving vault in the wastes, not to mention the last sane vault. Unfortunately after years of constant stress to save the wasteland, the players father escapes the vault causing the inhabitants to go on a rampage. After a dangerous escape the player is given free roam through the hazardous Capital wasteland in search for is father, and the G.E.C.K (garden Eden creation kit) Expand
  38. Mar 24, 2015
    Fallout makes the jump to first person, and while a glorious step in the right direction it suffers from some serious flaws. While many of these flaws may seem like minor nitpicks to a lot of them are serious issues. You play a character who will become known as the Lone Wander, at first wandering out of the Vault you grew up in, to search for your father. This fallows the same plot lineFallout makes the jump to first person, and while a glorious step in the right direction it suffers from some serious flaws. While many of these flaws may seem like minor nitpicks to a lot of them are serious issues. You play a character who will become known as the Lone Wander, at first wandering out of the Vault you grew up in, to search for your father. This fallows the same plot line where things expand from the main quest which evolves into a plot where you eventually end up having to save the world from a sinister evil force.

The good: Fallout finally reaching first person makes this game nearly amazing. Your first steps out of the vault presents you with a dire wasteland that seems to stretch on for ever. The game retains many of the mutant creatures we've all become familiar with in Fallout, and some new and interesting additions are wandering the wastes. The world is flushed, and if you pay attention to the NPCs you'll get quests galore. The game also encourages you to explore, and the more you explore the better a position you'll be in when you reach the end game. There are some amazingly well done moments in this game, and like the rest of the Fallout franchise there's some big voice talent backing the cast. The game also retains the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. primary stats, skill based derived stats, perks and traits system Fallout is famous for. With several expansions in the form of DLC that add hours of game play and even more fantastic stories to play through this game really does shine inspite of it's flaws. The best part, for PC gamers at least, is the mod-friendliness of the game, which will give the game life long after you've explored all the possibilities through multiple play throughs. The GECK program which is free from Bathesda's Fallout 3 site is also great and gives you the ability to modify the game to your heart's content if the creativity bug bites you. Also the game retains the ability to cripple the limbs of enemies either in real time combat, or using the V.A.T.S. targeting system.

The bad: Even when this game came out it had some issues, one of which is the graphics which were dated in 2008. I can't blame the game too much for this as it uses the same version of the Gamebryo engine that Oblivion used. Even with the latest updates this game has some bugs, though very few of them are game breakers. The story is a bit on the lack luster side until your father (voiced by Liam Neson) dies. As a hard core Fallout fan the biggest complaint is the fact that the game really eschews the lore of Fallout. There are quite a few things that don't fit, most of the energy weapons have been redesigned, the Vault doors look nothing like the ones in previous games, and worst of all power armor doesn't feel like well power armor. The game lacks a lot of the dark humor that populated the original two Fallout games, mixed with the depressing atmosphere this can make the game a arduous experience. The lack of any usable vehicles, or even a horse or mount of any kind makes treks through the wasteland exasperatingly long. The final offence is that you can only have 2 companions, while in previous game you it was based on your charisma stat, allowing up to 5 with max charisma, along with an extra with a certain perk.

Side note: The V.A.T.S. targeting system can sometimes feel useless because of the real time combat of the game. On the other hand it's always entertaining to watch a slow motion scene of an enemies head exploding when using V.A.T.S.

The final word: While a great game that does manage to capture most of the feel of Fallout it just doesn't quite live up to it's Isometric ancestors. The lore is a bit broken and it feels less Fallout than other Fallouts. Still it fits well enough in to the Fallout universe and style that even the most purist fans can appreciate it. It's a fantastic RPG despite it's flaws and for Fallout fans it's a great jump back in to the post nuclear apocalyptic retro 1950's sensibilities of a universe we've come to love. For RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans this game is a great addition to your library. Though it does feel more family friendly than previous instalments with the lack of Fallout's legendary sleaze factor, and lacking the ability to shoot people in the groins.
  39. Aug 5, 2015
    I never understood why people said that this isn't "fallout". Because it is much more different than previous fallout games. Take a look at gta 2 to gta 3, gta 3 pretty much changed everything and that is exactly what happened to fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a role playing game as well as a shooter as well taken place after a long time after a nuclear war hit america. It's story is pretty muchI never understood why people said that this isn't "fallout". Because it is much more different than previous fallout games. Take a look at gta 2 to gta 3, gta 3 pretty much changed everything and that is exactly what happened to fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a role playing game as well as a shooter as well taken place after a long time after a nuclear war hit america. It's story is pretty much you find your dad who has left you behind in the vault they were living in.

But overall the game is great, customization is not limited, you can play countless of hours of missions and side missions. As well as you can play in a Gained Karma/Lost Karma (aka good/evil) and you can change the fate of most events and you can shape the story in different ways.

Overall I personally like it, it's one of my favourite games due to it's creativity but it does lose some points in some parts of the game. One the graphics and colour design just doesn't go well with the mood. And yes I know the gray colour scheme is supposed to present a "depressed" mood on fallout. But does everything have to be gray and gloomy. Also another thing I would have liked is cinematic scenes in fallout. I know it's trying to be a role playing game thus why you are always looking at a person at the front of the face. But lack of cinematic scenes makes the story too empty. I personally don't care about the story missions compared to the side missions because the story wasn't all that exciting to me. And cinematic scenes would have changed that.

But other then that I love this game, one of the best games of all time.
  40. Jun 11, 2015
    Maybe my rose tinted glasses are on but this game was flawless for 2008 now writing this review in 2015 with the announcement of Fallout 4 (HYPE!) i went back and played FO3 again and though the wasteland doesn't have much color and is a bit bland i had a great time with the vast wastelands and the struggling war torn cities with many memorable characters and companions (DOGMEAT!) theMaybe my rose tinted glasses are on but this game was flawless for 2008 now writing this review in 2015 with the announcement of Fallout 4 (HYPE!) i went back and played FO3 again and though the wasteland doesn't have much color and is a bit bland i had a great time with the vast wastelands and the struggling war torn cities with many memorable characters and companions (DOGMEAT!) the radio system and threedog is interesting and the karma system keeps you from being a complete **** and mini nuking everything with the fatboy a small gripe i had with the game was the facial mechanics because they stay dead looking into your **** soul but besides that its a great story also known as you worship your dad (Liam Nessan)

Either way its a great game with a vast open world, memorable characters, and a good story.
  41. Jul 24, 2015
    10/10 Bethesda went to town on this one, better than Fallout New Vegas as this game is emotionally engaging and makes you care about the story in which fallout new Vegas' story was forgettable and more of a chore than an engaging story. Fallout 3 takes you through the life of your chosen vault dweller and makes character development with your Dad who you get a genuine lump in your throat10/10 Bethesda went to town on this one, better than Fallout New Vegas as this game is emotionally engaging and makes you care about the story in which fallout new Vegas' story was forgettable and more of a chore than an engaging story. Fallout 3 takes you through the life of your chosen vault dweller and makes character development with your Dad who you get a genuine lump in your throat when he ***spoilers***dies***spoilers but if you haven't played this game its your own fault for being so behind in playing masterpieces. Although its follow up game F:NV was an excellent game, it had less story telling, a smaller world and invisible walls that really took you out the experience. It had good potential and the name to back it up but would have gotten a lot lower rating if not for the elements introduced in fallout 3 by Bethesda. If fallout 4 is even half as good as this game, it will still be a master piece 11/10 Expand
  42. Aug 31, 2015
    One of the best games ever made! I have spent hours in the Capitol Wasteland, numerous play throughs, and it never gets old. Exploration, story and game play are all awesome!
  43. Sep 18, 2015
    Boy did I love this game. It's what got me into the western RPG games. Everything from the rewarding aspect of exploring to the quirky far reaching writing, to the blending of 3rd person and FPS. First game where i'd set the camera shot before shutting down for the night. Good times.
  44. Jul 25, 2016
    Compared to the writing and zany variety of Fallout New Vegas, this game may seem dull and unpolished.

However, Fallout 3 makes a genre-defining statement for its later games, with constructing a setting that is both incredibly immersive and unique. The music, the map, the dungeons, the culture of the world. It's a world I return to every once in a while, in order to once again develop an appreciation for; in order to remind myself of what came long ago.

Do not disservice yourself by avoiding this game. It is the progenitor, the seed of its most recent "sequels".
  45. Aug 19, 2016
    A good RPG ? No.
    A good game ? Absolutely.
    The 3rd installment in the parodical post-apocalyptic franchise is fun and addictive. The stage is still one of the best maps to explore today (2016.) Dialogues and quests are often mediocre, but the environmental narrative is a thing of beauty, with terrific details. The gameplay has much improved since its predecessors. In particular the
    A good RPG ? No.
    A good game ? Absolutely.

The gameplay has much improved since its predecessors. In particular the interface, which makes playing not a chore anymore.

There still are obvious flaws though, including some old classics which I thought had been banned years ago. For instance:

- The insufferable level cap. Here a record offender: I reached it at about 20% of map exploration. Sure, you need one, since you made the mistake of capping your stats and skills, but what about balancing the progression then ? Oh, right, you can't because...

- Respawn. I've been hating those for decades. It's one of them games where you have to kill constantly to get a piece of quiet, then redo it every time you pass by the same place. Because repetition is fun ? Nope, because more "content" for cheap. A secondary issue here is that spawns' levels are related to mine. And since I reach the XP cap very early, my fellow humans start dying very early as well. Bye caravans.

- There is a karma system so, of course, strange things will happen, like moral biases and a karma display on your forehead for everyone to see. My favorite ? Pickpocketing is evil: better kill the mark and loot his body. My least favorite: Tranquility Lane; it's so bad, I heard Buddha is coming back to sue.

- Two skills use both a threshold and a mini-game. The designer couldn't make up his mind. The lock-pick game is a particularly annoying time waster, probably spitted out by the same sadistic bureaucrat who designed the worst lock-picking of all time in Oblivion.

- I sometimes resent that I am the only person in the world who needs spare parts to repair my equipment.

- Not for everybody, but important for low perception players: the RPG is bad at visual clues. Many things happen, and often end, before I even realise. Noticing anything but a Quantum soda is hard, even a corpse I just sniped. I had to replay every scene in the rotunda, as each time the story decided to develop out of my reach. Talking about visuals, the map itself is a disaster, useless inside buildings, clumsy outside with no colours, no filters, and with 1 miserable personal marker.

Anyway, there are many things that could be improved, but it's still fun the way it is. There is one true disappointment though: in many if not most locations, you have two options and two options only, either do nothing, or kill everyone/destroy the place, directly or indirectly. That's true for the vaults, 2 major towns, villages, every raider camp (raiders aren't even considered humans,) and much, much more !
  46. Apr 3, 2016
    Fallout 3. Immersive, intriguing, and badass. The story is one of the best stories in gaming. I find it to be just as good a story as BioShock. You may hear,"Oh it's just you tryna find your dad. It's really not that interesting." To HELL with that. You need to actually expirience this game in order to truly and fully appreciate Fallout 3's story. Three issues I have with the game. NumberFallout 3. Immersive, intriguing, and badass. The story is one of the best stories in gaming. I find it to be just as good a story as BioShock. You may hear,"Oh it's just you tryna find your dad. It's really not that interesting." To HELL with that. You need to actually expirience this game in order to truly and fully appreciate Fallout 3's story. Three issues I have with the game. Number one, the game will not work properly on Windows 7 or above. Now this CAN BE FIXED. If you cannot figure it out, message me because I want you to enjoy this game. Number two, the visuals are not impressive. This was to be expected with a huge open world RPG such as this. Like most other games, you can modify this game. Taking the visuals to a whole 'nother level. It rivals SKYRIM and BIOSHOCK INFINITE. That said, you need a beefy graphics card to handle the visual mods. With advanced shaders, blue skies and better looking textures, this game looks phenomenal. I don't enjoy the fact that you have to modify the game to make it prettier, but what has to be done must be done. Having siad that, the game isn't unbearable vanilla. I said the visuals are not impressive, not that they are bad. Number three, Fallout has a reputation for being one of the BUGGIEST PIECES OF LOVELY **** It isn't as bad as DayZ but the fact that the two can even be compared is saddening to me. Fortunately, most common and random bugs disappear when playing on pc. They occasionally occur and most are easy fixes. Most. Crashing is eliminated with a 4gb patch and stuttering is solved with a simple mod. At long last you can enjoy your childhood once more at 60fps (good graphics card) and no crashing as it did on console. I rate 10/10 vanilla on PC, 9/10 on console and with mods 11/10. I would recommend this game a million times if I could. Expand
  47. Apr 15, 2016
    Me lo recomendo un amigo y lo bien que hice en hacerle caso, recuerdo que me enconto ese ambiente gris y decaido del holocausto nuclear que era el yermo, salir y explorar en una mezcla de shooter con rol que me gusto mucho y de una historia muy epica.
  48. Sep 15, 2016
    Esse jogo é tão vasto e denso, tantas coisas para se fazer e tanto para se explorar, esse jogo é um MUST PLAY se vc gosta de RPGs, Fallout 3 foi um jogo feito com carinho.
  49. Jun 18, 2016
    Tons of references of good films with a good story behind. Literally buoght ps3 just to play it, its just too much to explain and postproduction is exponentially good
  50. RyderK-B
    Jan 7, 2010
    Another example of a fanboy infested, overated game. I had high hopes for this game as its predecessors were so outstanding. I was extremely dissapointed. I was expecting a engaging and interactive atmosphere in a post apocolyptic setting but I was given instead an empty map with nothing going on in it. It was a chore for me to walk from point a to point b as I was expecting a STALKER Another example of a fanboy infested, overated game. I had high hopes for this game as its predecessors were so outstanding. I was extremely dissapointed. I was expecting a engaging and interactive atmosphere in a post apocolyptic setting but I was given instead an empty map with nothing going on in it. It was a chore for me to walk from point a to point b as I was expecting a STALKER like system in which there is constant fighting between different groups in the environment where I would be caught up in the crossfire and be able to take a side or take cover and wait out the battle or navigate around it, except I was greeted by a empty environment where the only fight you will get are single robots and mutants placed randomely throughtout the map and a small group of pathetic bandits which are easy to dispense of. I don't see why they made such a big map if there is no point of bothering to travel anywhere, it was a serious bore for me to travel anywhere because the map was empty. Then theres the guns. Oh dear. The guns all feel unfinished and poorly designed and there is a pathetic aresenal of weapons that you can obtain. The player crafted weapons I have all seen before, (a gun that shoots anything you put in it, yeh that hasn't been done before) and they didn't really make me want to seek out the blueprints for them as they were simply terrible weapons. The guns are all extremely underpowered and they all have terrible recoil and animations that had no real appeal. One quest near the start of them game has you gooing to a mutant infested city with only a hunting rifle (which is a total peice of shit) and a crrappy little pistol to fight mutants with miniguns and rocket launchers. But mind you, the AI is so dead beat retarded that you are able to walk up to them and melee them to death. Then theres VATs. This was were I lost a huge amount of interest in the game. All you do is select VATs, target their head and they're dead. If I were a retard or a mindless console fanboy drop kick I would be drooling at the prospect of having my aiming done for me, but thankfully I wasn't born with a brain the size or a pea and I can aim perfectly on my own. I dislike the fact that Bethesda regards it's buyers as idiots who can't do anything for themselves, mind you it is true though, as this game was swamped by mindless fanatical fanboys. Then there is the storyline and the quests... This is where the game is at its worst. The main quest would take you 3-4 hours to complete uninterupted by side quests or item hunting. It has you following your dad... Yes that's right, your dad, on a fairy tale quest to purify the water for all the people in the wastelands, who also happen to be trying to kill you, so I wasn't really that keen. Almost every single side quest was a go there get that then come back quest or go there kill that come back quest. Then there is the AI. I was so bored with dad's stupid mindless speech and boring responses that I blew off his head and proceeded to dismember his body parts, at the dismay to the characters involved in the quest regarding the dad and the water whom I also proceeded to dismember. I then happened to stumble across a fallen space ship with a alien ray gun that disintergrates anyone in one shot, so the difficulty level fell to about the same difficulty as breathing. I then ventured out into the wasteland hoping that I could get a battle that required more than selecting Vat's, going for a piss then coming back to every enemy dead, but once again, the only enemy I encountered was a single mutant or robot which proved highly boring. I was also told that there was endless customization. WRONG. The only customization there is are 2 different pairs of glasses, a hat and 3 different types of armour. Then I was also again told that there is great character interaction and hard choices to make and well written responses and speech. Once again, WRONG. It's jsut a typical, good response, neutral response, random question, witty response, the witty responses would only make a 12 year old kid laugh, then again that is most of the buying audience for this game. This game is is non deserving of it's score and is only so highly rated because of payed reviewers and hyped fanboys that know no better. Overall a medicore game that brings nothing new to the table. Just another post nuclear apocolypse RPG that is going to be gathering dust on the shelf. I will never play it again. I gave it 2 because the graphics where somewhat pleasing, other than that, a simply put, shit game. Expand
  51. Mar 5, 2011
    The people in charge of handing out Game Of The Year awards should be ashamed of themselves for giving this bug ridden game the award. Bethesda show complete lack of care for their customers by churning out such a blatantly unfinished product. The gameplay is also repetative to the point of being boring. There are some saving graces but whats the point when the coding is this bad.
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    I would recommend Fallout 3 to everyone (especially game of the year edition), so much to do, but just not enough time! I don't know how many days, weeks and months I used to explore every little bit, taking all the quest, following the 'good' storyline and the 'bad'. This game is what you should play -Bethesdas bigest succes! Graphics is great, and you don't need those high-end-computersI would recommend Fallout 3 to everyone (especially game of the year edition), so much to do, but just not enough time! I don't know how many days, weeks and months I used to explore every little bit, taking all the quest, following the 'good' storyline and the 'bad'. This game is what you should play -Bethesdas bigest succes! Graphics is great, and you don't need those high-end-computers for it.
    Comparede to their new game Skyrim, this is the bomb! Graphics is not much different, but still in Skyrim you need to buy a computer with the price about 2000 U.S dollars to play it at the fullest, no just play it without lagg. Don't always look forward, also look backwards, because you will find this game, and I can ensure you, it is worth every goddamn coin!
  53. KeithB.
    Nov 11, 2008
    This game is a highlight of the derivative - meaning it is exceedingly derivative given its visibility. Sure, there are tons of generic copy-paste DS brain-age games, PC FPSes, etc, but they generally are forgotten within weeks of release. But this game is a big deal, and it's getting nothing but great reviews(just like what happened with Oblivion), meaning it will have lasting This game is a highlight of the derivative - meaning it is exceedingly derivative given its visibility. Sure, there are tons of generic copy-paste DS brain-age games, PC FPSes, etc, but they generally are forgotten within weeks of release. But this game is a big deal, and it's getting nothing but great reviews(just like what happened with Oblivion), meaning it will have lasting visibility. Is it too much to ask for an RPG to "capture my imagination"? What ever happened to that concept? I know it's still possible. Portal captured my imagination. Katamari Damacy did it. So why has it been so long since an RPG has done it? RPGs are the games that need to do this MOST! Expand
  54. May 9, 2011
    This game loves to crash, interesting my fix is not running the game with quad-cores good start. But thats fixed and when you go past it? Well it starts well the atmosphere is good though I can't say I ever felt any engagement with the plot, but none the less the atmosphere is pretty dam good. BUT, that doesnt last once the wasteland starts to feel more familiar , it feel safe, youThis game loves to crash, interesting my fix is not running the game with quad-cores good start. But thats fixed and when you go past it? Well it starts well the atmosphere is good though I can't say I ever felt any engagement with the plot, but none the less the atmosphere is pretty dam good. BUT, that doesnt last once the wasteland starts to feel more familiar , it feel safe, you reach a point of financial comfort and then it's kind of over. The rpg/shooter gameplay is far from a stong point and simply doesnt carry the game when the feel fades. Had the game kept the player from feeling comfy and maintained the feel of the wastes no doubt I would be giving this 8+ despite its poor gameplay but sadly this isnt the case and the game just falls short of the mark. Expand
  55. Jan 20, 2012
    As a game, Fallout 3 is mediocre at best. As a Fallout game, it falls flat on it's face. It seems as though Bethesda really couldn't grasp what the feel of Fallout was supposed to be.

Most of the environments were uninteresting, the characters really had no depth, the main quest line was a joke, RPG elements were incredibly weak (You could easily "break" the game becoming too powerful), the animation is just awful, and the writing and voice acting is cringe-worthy.

The game can be enjoyable at times, but for the most part it's not a great follow-up to Fallout 2 or 1.
  56. Dec 30, 2011
    Were I writing a review for the Xbox version, it would be a 10. This game simply doesn't work on many computers (with no solution from Bethesda or anyone on the internet) which blow the system requirements out of the water such as mine. I could say that this game was my favourite game ever, except that on the PC I can't play it.
  57. JimS
    Jul 17, 2009
    I loved the fun, immersive environment, sandbox-style gameplay, and challenging, strategic combat. I hated the bugs, lousy ending, low-end level cap, and junky UI. This game should have spent another ten months easy in testing before being released. This is not to say it isn't a good game, it is, it was just half-baked on all fronts at release.
  58. qoobah
    Nov 28, 2008
    It all looks nice at the beginning. Then things (plot, repetitive world and tasks, so much to do but nothing I really WANT to do, or seems relevant to the story) go downhill so much, that after investing 30 hours into it I just couldnt bring myself to still be immersed or care about what I'm doing. I guess the keyword to this game is "repetitivness" in almost every aspect. The game It all looks nice at the beginning. Then things (plot, repetitive world and tasks, so much to do but nothing I really WANT to do, or seems relevant to the story) go downhill so much, that after investing 30 hours into it I just couldnt bring myself to still be immersed or care about what I'm doing. I guess the keyword to this game is "repetitivness" in almost every aspect. The game was far too long and samey without any sign of overarching plot, or any incentive for me to care about it in the long run. Expand
  59. Jul 14, 2011
    A boring, glitchy and mindless mess. If you want a good RPG forget this and go play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, made by a company that actually knows what it's doing.
  60. LiquidWolf
    Nov 5, 2008
    Excellent game that is a good return to the Fallout genre. It's not quite what Fallout 1 and 2 were, but it is a still a good game in and of itself. I've never really played a game through twice, but this one will be the first in my memory.
  61. GuilhermeG.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Let me be clear : fallout 3 missed a lot of things from the original games: Difficulty, Humor, Music, Interface among other things. And there are other less stelar points such as textures, animation and the barter and quest interface. And yes there are quite a few choices that show that Bethesda stuck too much stuff from the Elder Scrolls series. Epic music in fallout games ? Epic fail. Let me be clear : fallout 3 missed a lot of things from the original games: Difficulty, Humor, Music, Interface among other things. And there are other less stelar points such as textures, animation and the barter and quest interface. And yes there are quite a few choices that show that Bethesda stuck too much stuff from the Elder Scrolls series. Epic music in fallout games ? Epic fail. Vampires in Fallout games ? Epic fail. Enemies too easy to kill ? Epic fail. Get yourself radiated with 600 rads and don't die or loose much health like in the first games? Epic fail. (but it would be like that, because in reality, it takes a few hours to feel the effects even with that dose of radiation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_bombs_and_health#Radiation_poisoning). I started very doubtfull of this game and noticing all of these things, but somewhere along the way you'll notice: I am playing fallout. You'll be searching lockers, tables and what not for your stuff. You'll be killing off ghouls and super mutants, raiders and mole rats. You'll be performing critical hits. You'll be leveling up expending the experience points on the same attributes as in previous games, and choosing the same perks. The game will suck you in. This I assure you. When you enter a mine field ridden busted down village, enter an abandoned house, where all windows are boarded up, with only a few sun rays going through, paint peeling off the walls, then you go up the stairs into the bedroom to find two sequeletons holding each other in bed...It's beyond words. The ambiance on this game is pure crack. The desolated wasteland is very well represented and it is oppressing. You'll be scavenging stuff to survive and managing your equipment with care. Traps will kill you. It's fun when you're walking around and then hear something drop on the floor. You look around and don't notice anything. You keep moving. Then you see at the edge of the screen something black rolling on the floor. You look down and then you understand : it's 3 grenades dropped from a trap in a walkway above you. Oh sh*t. And BUM. Also the first time you see a Super Mutant Behemoth is memorable. Hell yeah. About the interface, I already said where it fails. Other than that I think Bethesda chose to use a more realistic approach to the pip boy, and seriously i see no problem with that. It works fine for most things. It's a logical approach and seriously if you try to understand the original pip boy from the images, what the hell was that ? A PDA ? With valves ? With what shape ? Bethesda made an interesting choice and I like it. It's not as usable but far more realistic, and that's fine for me. I miss the sarcastic remarks, I miss the really dark humor, I miss the incredibly moody music and the high difficulty of the game. Sometime during my game experience I started thinking, damn this feels life the first fallout. And it does. Let me be clear though, besides the landscape, the game looks very last-gen. You won't get crispy clear textures like stalker, crysis and dead space. You won't get all those lightning effects. You won't get great facial expressions. But this is very much a work of love for the series and it shows. I quickly forgot the animations, the shoddy colision detection and the textures. I quickly forgot the stuff that shows that the mentality at Bethesda is very much stuck in the Elder scrolls series. You start wanting to find out about what is going on there, why this radio signal, where are these people, what secrets lurk in those tunnels ? You'll fight for your survival, make choices that affect character's lives, and explore. It WILL suck you in. I miss a lot of things from the original series and yes I'm sad that Bethesda didn't capture them. I'm sad that the game is wattered down for mass comsuption and the interface for console use. I wish brotherhood of steel guys felt more hardcore and invicible. I wish there was the plasma gattling gun. I wish you could apply medical care to yourself like in the original series. I wish mutants were much much harder. I was terrified of those guys in the originals, even at top levels. I wish the AI was better. I wish there was better dialog choices. I wish for the original fallout music. I wish the environment was even more scary, something more like stalker. I wish.... But you have to realize that I don't think anyone else could have done a better job. Everything in this game has a reason to be. I can perfectly understand almost all of the decisions Bethesda made in relation to this game. They all have logic and show that the game was really well tought. It shows a lot of dedication and hard work. Yes many things are different, but I still keep feeling like I'm back playing fallout 1. And it sucks you so much cause now you're playing in first person. Watching in your face all of those things you imagined when you were playing them 10 years ago. It's not perfect but it's a great game, with a huge scope that will keep you busy for a long time. Just thinking about some of the stuff I've played and watched sends me shiffers from the back of my head down my spine. It has been a long, long time since a game was able to make me feel like this. I am a hardcore gamer, from the days of playing on a 48k Spectrum with games stored on audio tapes, and I'm not easily impressed by most recent games. Far Cry 2 bores me to death, for example. Most game reviews suck these days and give wrong ratings. I would give Far Cry 2 a strong 60 or 70 at most. Fallout 3 would get a very strong 90, maybe 95. But to give this game a zero out of spite ? I'm giving it 10 just to counterbalance those brainless scores. Anyone that gives this game a zero only because it's not the original fallout, and doesn't recognize the great things about it is seriously retarded. This game is great on its own. It's strange but i keep thinking to myself : It's not fallout and at the same time, it IS fallout. I think Bethesda should go back to their labs, work on the engine, improve a lot of things : animation, collision detection, AI, textures, lightning. This engine needs an overhaul. Because I can't wait for another entry in the series. Fallout 4, for sure. Don't care about any MMORPGs, give me a proper singleplayer experience any day of the week. To sum this up : it's great to be playing fallout again. About time. Hell yeah. Oh and by the way, I can confirm something that I highly doubted when reading it in other reviews : VATS doesn't get old. Expand
  62. BryanT.
    Nov 11, 2008
    This game did not live up to my expectations. I played Bethesda's TES: Oblivion and loved it, beating it multiple times. It is true that Fallout 3 is basically Oblivion with guns, but its a very bad oblivion with guns. Very bad voice acting- the characters dont match up with what they are saying. The character could be saying that the world is about to blow up while nonchalantly This game did not live up to my expectations. I played Bethesda's TES: Oblivion and loved it, beating it multiple times. It is true that Fallout 3 is basically Oblivion with guns, but its a very bad oblivion with guns. Very bad voice acting- the characters dont match up with what they are saying. The character could be saying that the world is about to blow up while nonchalantly standing there with a minor arm movement. There are also many bugs including invisible items, problems with the targeting system, and AI problems. I have no idea why so many reviewers gave this game a 100. Really? This game is so perfect that you could play for ten hours straight while having 0 problems, glitches, or otherwise unwanted actions? No, that's not the case. This is a B- game, not an A++ game. It does have an interesting storyline, if a little predictable. My suggestion: Play a friends game for a while, or the whole thing (story line takes just a few days to beat), or wait until this game is under 30 or even 20 dollars. If other gamers have noticed all the things wrong with this game too then that shouldn't take too long. Expand
  63. Jun 15, 2011
    10. This game is massive. Hours and hours of game play. I have about 130+ and there are still places I haven't been, and things I have yet to do. This game is much better than Fallout New Vegas. The story is deeper, I feel like I have a reason, meaning to explore, to find out. The story is very rich, and the game is very absorbing. The amount of content in this game is unreal. Bethesda has10. This game is massive. Hours and hours of game play. I have about 130+ and there are still places I haven't been, and things I have yet to do. This game is much better than Fallout New Vegas. The story is deeper, I feel like I have a reason, meaning to explore, to find out. The story is very rich, and the game is very absorbing. The amount of content in this game is unreal. Bethesda has done it again. Absolutely perfect game, in every regard. And to those who say it's doesn't have enough action, your mistaken. It has a mixture of everything, instead of 100% one thing. That's what makes this game so fantastic it has so many elements, and gives you reason to play it over and over, because it'll always turn out different. Expand
  64. Nov 18, 2011
    This is a fun game for a while. I got the game of the year for $10 on Steam. The graphics aren't much better than Oblivion, the textures are unimpressive, and the side quests get old after a while. The main story was well done, but, the end feels like it was slopped together.
  65. Feb 5, 2012
    One of my most favorite games ever. Everything about the game is great, I almost never encountered bugs, only few did I encounter. This game got me into post-apocalyptic games and made me fall in love with them. Worth all the time and money I spent into this game.
    I think everyone should give this game a try, it's a really good game.
  66. Jun 18, 2012
    I am not giving Fallout 3 a 10 to bring the score up as some people gave it a 0 simply to bring the score down. That would be blantly dishonest, just as the people who gave it a 0 were patently dishonest and mean spirited toward a fabulous game. This is a great game deserving of GOTY. You get more than your monies worth with this game and you can replay it over and over. Read the reviewsI am not giving Fallout 3 a 10 to bring the score up as some people gave it a 0 simply to bring the score down. That would be blantly dishonest, just as the people who gave it a 0 were patently dishonest and mean spirited toward a fabulous game. This is a great game deserving of GOTY. You get more than your monies worth with this game and you can replay it over and over. Read the reviews that give it a 10. Those reviewers love this game. Blown away by the detail of the world. Detail contributes to its, in my opinion, greatest ability: the ability to immerse the player in the world of Fallout 3. Gamers talk about the immersion factor of games. This immersion litany is one of the top factors for liking a game. Fallout 3 is by far one of the most immersive games out there. Now, look at the negatives, and the downright disingenuous trashing of Fallout 3, especially by those who gave it a 0 or a maximum of 2. Their criticism rings false. The score minus the false reviews would bring the 7.8 up closer to 9.1 the professional critics gave the game. Fallout 3 has all the traits of one of the great games produced. May their be a Fallout 4 very soon. Expand
  67. Jul 7, 2012
    It's an amazing Action RPG game. It all takes place in a post-apocalyptic Washington, DC years after The Great War that has led to a worldwide massive nuclear destruction. The capital has been reduced to a wasteland with mutants, a dangerous wildlife and people trying to make a living. Many has gone underground seeking safety in hi-tech Vaults were people has developed a small society. YouIt's an amazing Action RPG game. It all takes place in a post-apocalyptic Washington, DC years after The Great War that has led to a worldwide massive nuclear destruction. The capital has been reduced to a wasteland with mutants, a dangerous wildlife and people trying to make a living. Many has gone underground seeking safety in hi-tech Vaults were people has developed a small society. You are a vault resident from Vault 101 and your father is a scientist that runs away for reasons that are unknown. You set out to find him and get some answers. In the game you get to make your own character choosing gender, looks and age. You get to wander the wastes and explore it. The game has a wide variety of weapons and armors. You can kill your enemies using a targeting system called V.A.T.S. that allows you to freeze the moment and zoom in on your enemies choosing were you want to shoot them, and the odds for hitting those certain limbs. Fallout 3 is without a doubt the best RPG game I have ever played. It has so much content and replay value. You decide if you want to be good, evil or neutral. There are tons of choices to be made that has an effect of how people sees you as a person. Even though the game has some technical issues including numerous amount of bugs and a robotic movement it's something you shouldn't miss out on. Expand
  68. Jul 15, 2012
    Don't play it like oblivion! I feel I have to admit that when I first played this game, I got very bored of it and gave up quickly. After playing fallout 1&2 I realized why, I was playing it wrong. With the takeover of the series by bethesda if you have played oblivion you will realize a very similar look, feel and gameplay, but keep in mind this is not oblivion and resist the temptationDon't play it like oblivion! I feel I have to admit that when I first played this game, I got very bored of it and gave up quickly. After playing fallout 1&2 I realized why, I was playing it wrong. With the takeover of the series by bethesda if you have played oblivion you will realize a very similar look, feel and gameplay, but keep in mind this is not oblivion and resist the temptation to play as if it where (one central city to keep returning to, game will guide you in the right direction). Playing it in the style of fallout 1&2 provides for a much more interesting and enjoyable gameplay Expand
  69. Fever
    Jan 28, 2009
    Does not entirely live up to its hype. The shooting part of the game doesn't work - it is very bad in comparison to other shooters and it is not fun. The dialogue system has its flaws and sometimes feels very cheap. Fallout 3 has a lot of boring and long quest "dungeons" with lots of repetitive fights and dull backtracking. There are not many types of enemies. The difficulty is not Does not entirely live up to its hype. The shooting part of the game doesn't work - it is very bad in comparison to other shooters and it is not fun. The dialogue system has its flaws and sometimes feels very cheap. Fallout 3 has a lot of boring and long quest "dungeons" with lots of repetitive fights and dull backtracking. There are not many types of enemies. The difficulty is not balanced and the fact that you can adjust difficulty at any time means that Bethesda just did not bother nor care. Also, the main story is not very good and certainly not satisfying for an RPG. The third-person view is a joke. Inventory management is not very user-friendly and I was mad from constant switching between all the menus and sub-menus on PIPboy. About its tone, sometimes I had a feeling that the game can't decide whether it is serious or a dark comedy. It can't be both and it shows. But to summarise Fallout 3 like this would be unfair. It has also many positive aspects, for example its beautifully looking (graphically and aesthetically) post-apocalyptic world for you to explore, with sometimes mind-blowing attention to detail. Wandering around the Capital Wasteland is an experience itself. Peaceful music during exploring and action music during, well, action is also very well composed and deserves a mention - it greatly adds to the atmosphere. Other thing that deserves attention are side quests - the game hides some very powerful stories, which you may or may not uncover and resolve, whether by helping people or hurting them. It's up to you to choose, but you will be immersed and intrigued by the stories either way. Listening to the radio with music from the fifties and a funny DJ while shooting mutants is also great. Also, shooting off heads and limbs of enemies in slow motion almost never stops being fun thanks to its intentional, gory exaggeration. Another positive thing is the beginning itself, which is very original and fun. Next several hours of gameplay are also fun and a satisfying experience. The bad thing is that it doesn't last till the end. Expand
  70. CrazyHobo
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you want to witness the very definition of a mediocre game (as in "not bad and not good at the same time", not "the perfect representative of the usuall crap"), then play this. If not, don't bother. But seriously, it has it all - mediocre combat (and lots of it), mediocre speech sections, mediocre setting, mediocre landscapes and landmarks to visit (most of them are pretty good on If you want to witness the very definition of a mediocre game (as in "not bad and not good at the same time", not "the perfect representative of the usuall crap"), then play this. If not, don't bother. But seriously, it has it all - mediocre combat (and lots of it), mediocre speech sections, mediocre setting, mediocre landscapes and landmarks to visit (most of them are pretty good on their own, but they are so similar that you quickly stop caring after the nth metro station / ruined home / vault / ...), mediocre enemies to fight (again, the complaint is similar as with the locations), mediocre quests (well, a few are good, but those are balanced out by the bad ones quite nicely) and mediocre and uninspired writing. Still, it's much better than Oblivion, which was the previous RPG in this style from this developer, even though it feels like a conversion of it at times. Then again, the only way to go from it was up, so... Oh, and don't mistake this game for a part of the Fallout series. I know, I know, it's called "Fallout 3", but about the only thing that connects it to its supposed predecessors is the butchered setting and forced references. Honestly, those feel so out of place for someone who has played FO1 and FO2 that the game would probably have been better without them. I'd give this game a 5/10, but it can't NOT lose a point for it's ending. It's not mediocre, it's bad. And so it gets a 4. It has so much content outside of the progressively more dumb main quest that this may not even be an issue for some. In summary, if you have time for video games and no good games on which to spend it then it can be a viable substitute. Otherwise don't waste your time. Expand
  71. GarethS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    The overall concept for Fallout 3 was good. The media hype surrounding the game was excellent. The only flaw in this apparent gem of the gaming industry is that it doesnt work. Yes you heard me. The game is so buggy that I havent been able to play for more than 30 minutes without a crash to desktop and I am deeply insulted that a company like Bethesda would ship this to market in its The overall concept for Fallout 3 was good. The media hype surrounding the game was excellent. The only flaw in this apparent gem of the gaming industry is that it doesnt work. Yes you heard me. The game is so buggy that I havent been able to play for more than 30 minutes without a crash to desktop and I am deeply insulted that a company like Bethesda would ship this to market in its current state. Only game I have issues with on my current rig which is vastly superior to the minimum requirements. Despite my affection for Oblivion I will not purchase another Bethesda title solely on principle. It is now Jan 2009 and still no patch for the PC version. Game buying public out there beware dont be duped. Just do an search on PC issues with Fallout 3 and judge for yourself. Expand
  72. AnonymousMC
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hmmm that game is probably The Fallout 3 but i look into that game and cant find enything who show me that Fallout in this product - Bethezda one more time show to game comunity how to destroy a good game that is not a Fallout that is a Oblivion with guns
  73. Jan 13, 2014
    for making me believe that this is gonna be a new fallout, well it makes me sad and shows, where the priority lies for bethesda. certainly not games.
    funny though, its not so bad a game on its own, and ironically the best use of their oblivion-engine(less melee). its in that tradition, so if you think skyrim and oblivion have good writing, interesting sidequests and npcs, go ahead, this is what you want!

its not what i like or want.
  74. Aug 18, 2014
    Real time combat in this game is not existing I cant find way to play it as FPP game for example Half Life. Ok I understand there may be boss as deathclaw but in Fallout2 I was able to kill one by machine gun survive where here am climb on rock and do some else dirty trick to jam monster on obstacle which looks so stupid cheating but I just cand do it normally am shoot monster in head fromReal time combat in this game is not existing I cant find way to play it as FPP game for example Half Life. Ok I understand there may be boss as deathclaw but in Fallout2 I was able to kill one by machine gun survive where here am climb on rock and do some else dirty trick to jam monster on obstacle which looks so stupid cheating but I just cand do it normally am shoot monster in head from sniper riffle at large distance and he is able to run from there and even don't care am machine gun his eye. The same boss problems have on island DLC Where am actually lost every items from ufo DLC am take all trat super treasures to locker in my house, then I go for trip to island and when am return all that items was gone. So what am actually have interesting? My best gun is AK47 again? Am really feel like stuck to some simple weapon and cant understand it break with every shoot am made. This should be in (un)realistic mode because am found this annoying in normal game. I just cant play this any longer when my battles looks like jam monster on obstacle and watch animations as bullet come out from riffle and slowly travel to monster head.. everytime.. eve-ry sin-gle ti-me this is not postnuclear FPP as I thought it to be, this game have something broken and am found it to be unplayable or frustrating & boring. Well what you may expect from Elder Scrolls, these games are.. as they are everybody known. Definitely this is not true Fallout 3 its just postnuclear mod to Oblivion. It is well done mod but not Fallout 3 game I dont see any reason to do it in 3D, it could be done on Infinity Engine, for example modification to Baldurs Gate 2. I could see that working, but Oblivion? Noo not really.. My score is low because I dont enjoy it anymore, I cant complete this game which is crazy. If this was real F3 then am already would complete it 10x am pretty sure of that, but I don't completed it even once which mean this is not F3 it is fake game, modification to completely other game.This is like unplayable mod to Oblivion nothing more in my opinion. Actually if this was mod am would score it high as about 8/10 but this is not game, this not working because it obviously cant. Its like modify car into washing machine by rolling it from hill, this just don't work whatsoever and whole idea is ridiculous... turn Oblivion into Fallout 3 ? LOL Why somebody ever tried that? Ok am actually interest to see Fallout 4 on Skyrim.. but hey.. isnt Skyrim is actually modified Fallout 3.. huh? Weird or what? So we already seen Fallout 4 on Skyrim engine.. it is Fallout New Vegas! OMG that is so ridiculous. Look, they improved Oblivion to make F3, then they improved F3 to make Skyrim and New Vegas this is the same engine rolling. Expand
  75. Apr 18, 2015
    Awesome game if you like having to save every 2 minutes as it crashed to desktop constantly, and has to be restarted, i persevered as it was a lot of fun, but the constant crashing got too much and game was removed after about 30 hours game play
  76. Jul 19, 2011
    A truly epic adventure--an absolute stellar collaboration of FPS and RPG experiences. The vast open landscape allows unhindered exploration. The game offers a wealth of NPC characters, each having their own distinct personalities opening or limiting choices based on how you interact with them. The story conversations go far beyond simple dialog, offering players deep and rich characterA truly epic adventure--an absolute stellar collaboration of FPS and RPG experiences. The vast open landscape allows unhindered exploration. The game offers a wealth of NPC characters, each having their own distinct personalities opening or limiting choices based on how you interact with them. The story conversations go far beyond simple dialog, offering players deep and rich character development. There's even multiple paths/outcomes depending on the choices you make throughout the game. Multitudes of different monster types and weapons. While the story and side missions are enough to keep anyone busy for hours on end, the DLCs are well integrated and keep the game fresh for many more. Expand
  77. May 16, 2011
    ONE OF THE GREATEST RPGs I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY WHOLE LIFE. Whoever doesn't like this is a distasteful idiot. Sure there are a couple of bugs and a bit of lag. but who really cares? The setting is fantastic, the writing is top-notch, the voice acting is great, the side-quests are enjoyable and infinitely replayable, the combat is solid and suits the game very well, looting is satisfying,ONE OF THE GREATEST RPGs I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY WHOLE LIFE. Whoever doesn't like this is a distasteful idiot. Sure there are a couple of bugs and a bit of lag. but who really cares? The setting is fantastic, the writing is top-notch, the voice acting is great, the side-quests are enjoyable and infinitely replayable, the combat is solid and suits the game very well, looting is satisfying, levelling up is perfect, the characters have true variety and depth, the graphics have aged well and produce some STUNNING views (such as the destroyed, barren landscape that is the Capital Wasteland, or watching Megaton go up in an extremely satisfying and explosive mushroom cloud) and the locations are so iconic, they border on fantastical. But Fallout 3's greatest strength isn't it's combat or its graphics; its the sheer freedom and sense of scale: as soon as you leave the confines of Vault 101 you drink in this endless, barren landscape and realise there are endless possibilities. Wrangle children for slavers. Collect bobbleheads. Blow up a town or two. Or simply just explore. If you play any RPG, Fallout 3 is it. Expand
  78. Jun 4, 2011
    I went into this game with literally no idea how the story went and what the setting was and if im totally honest, it was the greatest game i have ever played, although i dont play many games i just know that this game will always be my favourite game
  79. Jun 18, 2014
    Nearly every aspect of Fallout 3 has already been critiqued and reviewed. Everything in this game is nearly perfect. The player is left wanting more. The only real problem with this game is that it will crash occasionally, but what game doesn't?

I become immersed in the game really quickly and I have to admit that this causes me to overlook some of the game's obvious flaws and mess-ups. As another reviewer pointed out, shooting someone using VATS and aiming for a specific body part does not seem to effect, hamper or handicap them in any way. Although this is true, it never bothered me enough to ruin my gaming experience. I can even overlook just because it makes the enemy a bit more challenging.

I got the impression from negative reviewers that Fallout is boring, grey, depressing with the same thing everywhere you go. Hello, have these people forgotten where this game takes place? Post-nuclear, post-apocalyptic D.C. area! The whole point of the game is to take you to this dark, depressing time that offers little hope to humanity and the player. Fallout 3 does a great job of immersing players and giving them the feeling that they really are in a hell-hole wasteland. The dj, radio stations and choice of music was pure genius that really tied the game together. I don't know what a real post-nuclear apocalypse would feel like, but this game made me feel like I was in one.

My advice to new Fallout 3 players is to play the vanilla version from start to finish. If you liked it, browser around the Nexus website for the top-rated mods and select the ones that appeal to you. Mods have given this game even more replay value and have addressed most issues people have with the game.

Originally review Oct 27, 2011, revised Jun 18, 2014. Still love the game as much as I did when it was released.
  80. Nov 2, 2011
    Hands down one of the top ten games ever released. After countless hours, nay, days of fun gameplay, any game would become a little dull. But this, like most Bethesda titles, has an avid mod community that keeps it updated, so with Fallout 3 you can play a new game every week. Last week I was blasting nazis in the Alps (with canon weapons too, still use my luger even though I'm done withHands down one of the top ten games ever released. After countless hours, nay, days of fun gameplay, any game would become a little dull. But this, like most Bethesda titles, has an avid mod community that keeps it updated, so with Fallout 3 you can play a new game every week. Last week I was blasting nazis in the Alps (with canon weapons too, still use my luger even though I'm done with the mod), before that I was playing with EVERY GUN EVER MADE, not kidding, ask anything and it'll be there. Before that I fought in a zombie apocalypse, and went to iceland, and got a motorcycle, and lived in a series of mansions, dabbled in witchcraft, Shot 300 nukes at once out of a pistol at stuff, fought every fallout monster from the prequels, and etc..... Plus if none of those sound fun to you, there are ample modding tools to make your own. With no prior experience I went on to rebuild an entire museum, got an army of old guys to punch my enemies to death, and made my guy 300 feet tall. Nuff said. If at first it wasn't a ten by now we've made it one. Expand
  81. Nov 20, 2011
    I will first review this properly without my own opinions, then include them. The game is giant; there are over 200 locations to explore. This gives a lot of playing time, and the inclusion of the karma feature allows each player to take their own path. It doesn't offer multiple story paths unlike it's successor New Vegas, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste. I foundI will first review this properly without my own opinions, then include them. The game is giant; there are over 200 locations to explore. This gives a lot of playing time, and the inclusion of the karma feature allows each player to take their own path. It doesn't offer multiple story paths unlike it's successor New Vegas, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste. I found it buggy a couple of times, but nothing too serious. The shooting action isn't amazing, the focus is on the in-game feature 'VATS' but i rarely used this as I felt it took too long for each enemy. Now my own opinion is, I freakin' loved this game. I borrowed it quickly off my dad one week and that was about a year ago. I've played it through about 4 times, it was just a fantastic experience that I loved. There was real strategy about making money, how much weight you could carry, dropping items for more valuable ones. I have bought most of the DLC afterwards because I really wanted to carry it on. You can pick it up cheap, I hope you won't regret it. Expand
  82. Oct 22, 2013
    The developers of this game refuse to do any kind of work to support the game with Windows 7 or higher. So, as soon as you upgrade your rig you can kiss this game goodbye.
  83. openworldlol
    Nov 1, 2008
    How this game has an average score in the mid 90s is beyond me. Fallout 3 isn't bad, just mediocre. The gameplay is incredibly weak. To give Bethesda credit, the RPG elements are done well, and they feel like Fallout. However, if you took out the RPG elements, you'd be left with a clunky feeling FPS. Gameplay just doesn't feel polished enough. The story is simple and How this game has an average score in the mid 90s is beyond me. Fallout 3 isn't bad, just mediocre. The gameplay is incredibly weak. To give Bethesda credit, the RPG elements are done well, and they feel like Fallout. However, if you took out the RPG elements, you'd be left with a clunky feeling FPS. Gameplay just doesn't feel polished enough. The story is simple and uninspiring compared to the stories of either Fallout 1 or 2. The visuals are mostly unimpressive. Weapon effects are nice and flashy, but character models are stiff and awkward looking, with noticeable seams at the neck and hands where the textures don't match up. Yes, the terrain is vast, and many of the issues that Bethesda's previous game, Oblivion, have either been fixed or reduced, such as the distant terrain mesh noticeably rearranging itself and objects jarringly popping in. However, the terrain is also very dull. I don't necessarily mean the small range of colors you'll see. What I mean is that few locations feel truly unique. Voiceovers have been substantially improved over Oblivion, with surprisingly few characters sounding alike. Unfortnately, this comes at the cost of every "town" having roughly in between 3-10 citizens. These towns feel sparse compared to the towns of Fallout 1 or 2. The traditional Fallout atmosphere is there, but it feels watered down. I can't really blame Bethesda for this, because they obviously tried very hard to get the atmosphere spot on. I think it may be due to the fact that everything is rendered in 3d this time around, and every character has a voice. It leaves less to the imagination. Is it better than an unmodded Oblivion? Yes! Is it better than Fallout 1 and/or 2? Unfortunately, no. Expand
  84. ChrisR
    Nov 29, 2008
    Fun game, but I am not particularly happy with paying a lot of money for something that borders on a mod for oblivion, which in itself was a mediocre game with great graphics. Sadly, not much has changed. Rack this one with CounterStrike- Mods that should never have been made.
  85. WilsonT.
    Dec 6, 2008
    Boring characters, quite slow, tiring quests that don't generate enthusiam. Fallout 3 really needed to be a lot better to deserve the high marks. After hours of playing, this had not grabbed me and I left feeling rather unsatisfied, but not disgusted.
  86. SamW
    Oct 29, 2008
    First off, this game isn't perfect - I have yet to find one that is - but i'm giving it a perfect score rather than a 9 just to spite BethesdaSux, a butthurt loser who probably hasn't even played this game. On to the game. I'm only a few hours in, and I am completely drowning in the depth and immersion. I loved fallout 1 but really didn't care for fallout 2 (too First off, this game isn't perfect - I have yet to find one that is - but i'm giving it a perfect score rather than a 9 just to spite BethesdaSux, a butthurt loser who probably hasn't even played this game. On to the game. I'm only a few hours in, and I am completely drowning in the depth and immersion. I loved fallout 1 but really didn't care for fallout 2 (too much extraneous and stupidly incredulous stuff world and narrative wise), and fallout 3 is much more akin to the first than the second. I'm not one for writing big reviews, so i'll sum it up - impossible to do everything with one character, perfectly balanced combat (is this fun vs is this necessary), WAY beyond "oblivion with guns", and gameplay-wise the crown prince elect of titles like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (inspired mostly by fallout in the first place), sitting next to the dusty throne of the grizzled old king Deus Ex - whose own genetic heir, deus ex invisible war, was a retard with multiple sclerosis that the kingdom disowned out of sheer lack of love. Anyway, long story short, fallout 3 is a worthy successor to its predecessors and is leaps and bounds above "oblivion" in every single way. Expand
  87. RickS
    Oct 30, 2008
    Immature, perverted, silly and a mockery of the fallout series. I came into the game willing to enjoy it, but it seems as though the game scorns the roots from whence it came. Bethesda seems to be totally ignorant of the feel and spirit that went into the original fallout series, instead crafting a strange and unsatisfying view of 1920s-1940s American patriotism and often perverse Immature, perverted, silly and a mockery of the fallout series. I came into the game willing to enjoy it, but it seems as though the game scorns the roots from whence it came. Bethesda seems to be totally ignorant of the feel and spirit that went into the original fallout series, instead crafting a strange and unsatisfying view of 1920s-1940s American patriotism and often perverse dialogue. The people feel dead, and the environments are bland and uncoordinated, I can understand, but it feels clunky as do the menus and pip-boy system. There is an obvious negligence of the developers to make the pc version more than a port and it is aggravating when you consider how much they charge for it. Unbridled gore and slap-stick physics cause the game to loose any charm it may have had and give me a distaste for the combat system. It foregoes game play realism and progression for instant gratification and this is a recipe for disaster. Consider deciding to allow creatures to be tossed 10 feet into the air by a BB shot absurd because it shows an utter lack of tactile sense on the part of the developers in the realm of fallout. The story seems very haphazard for the first part of the game, the choices in dialogue as a 1 or 10 year old gave me a sense of disappointment for the purpose of role-playing and general interest. Thugs get leather jackets in the vault out of nowhere, (recall the only leather in fallout came from Brahmin). The story leaps to extremes without justification and doesn't allow itself to be grounded in fallout canon while posting as genuine. I'm dissapointed, I wasted my money, and I'm ashamed for the gaming community for often undervaluing genius and praising mediocrity. Expand
  88. N.D
    Jan 19, 2010
    I'll never understand the hype that's been brought upon this game. The dialogue of the characters seem very cheesy and simple. Also, I've played this game on three different powerful PC's, and the controls are horrid and delayed.
  89. BrianV.
    Mar 28, 2010
    This is truly a masterpiece! Anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand the gaming world. Only the amount of effort put into this game is... unreal just so unreal. You can only imagine how big and complex the fallout world is when you finished the game, and every single sidequest. As is said, the world of Fallout is HUGHE! you would spend full days of exploring every bit of the This is truly a masterpiece! Anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand the gaming world. Only the amount of effort put into this game is... unreal just so unreal. You can only imagine how big and complex the fallout world is when you finished the game, and every single sidequest. As is said, the world of Fallout is HUGHE! you would spend full days of exploring every bit of the capital wasteland. To sum up more of the pro's: -MANY quests -very good story line -full voice acting of every character, and good voice acting -proably the game with the most freedom you'll find to date -extremely deep, in terms of missions, stories etc. -stealth -many different kind of weapons -decent graphics (not stunning, but it fits just right) The only con's i could find are some minor bugs, and the combat being 'meh' sometimes (why is the crosshair constantly only 2 arrowheads? realy a good crosshair for different types of weapons would make this game even better as it already is!). Expand
  90. MarkS.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Yes i give only 1 point! This is no fallout 3, this is madness!! The only point comes that they even tried to conver oblivion to fallout and for that i can see some light "fallout" curtain over oblivion here. Teleporting in houses, stiff and badly named npc:s (villager etc), Fighting, scaling opponents, those annoying glowing eyes in dark! (sound cool tho but its not), even the dialog is Yes i give only 1 point! This is no fallout 3, this is madness!! The only point comes that they even tried to conver oblivion to fallout and for that i can see some light "fallout" curtain over oblivion here. Teleporting in houses, stiff and badly named npc:s (villager etc), Fighting, scaling opponents, those annoying glowing eyes in dark! (sound cool tho but its not), even the dialog is poor like in oblivion! Argh! capped leveling!? Theres just so much wrong in this game and i haven't find a single enjoyable thing yet! This game is bad as my writing. (100/100 from gamespy! did you guys even tried the game, i will not renew my account there anymore, bye..) Expand
  91. Lex
    Oct 28, 2008
    Just ignore bums like "BethesdaSUX" (short form of that nick would be BS...) No, it's not Bethesda who suck, it's YOU. They create great games with a lot of creativity involved. YOU Mr. BS are creating nothing but bs and pointless whining. Stop wasting peoples time and do the world a favour - just get lost.
  92. JonM.
    Oct 29, 2008
    Turn the franchise in a stale poorly designed xbox360 port. Can't even understand why they called it fallout 3. I refuse to acknowledge this as a fallout game. The franchise is dead to me since The PS game they made so years ago. They didn't even make an Oblivion with guns. The made a mod for Oblivion and put a 50$ price tag on it. Although I have to admit I pretty sure its full Turn the franchise in a stale poorly designed xbox360 port. Can't even understand why they called it fallout 3. I refuse to acknowledge this as a fallout game. The franchise is dead to me since The PS game they made so years ago. They didn't even make an Oblivion with guns. The made a mod for Oblivion and put a 50$ price tag on it. Although I have to admit I pretty sure its full of content the xbox noobs can enjoy. Expand
  93. Granger
    Nov 11, 2008
    This game does have several rough edges, but it has successfully drawn me in despite them. I've devoted almost all my gaming time to this game and keep wishing I could find more time to play it. Don't try to play this as just an FPS, as a hybrid strategy of using VATS and real-time combat works well and has greatly increased the fun factor for me. The main quest is pretty good, This game does have several rough edges, but it has successfully drawn me in despite them. I've devoted almost all my gaming time to this game and keep wishing I could find more time to play it. Don't try to play this as just an FPS, as a hybrid strategy of using VATS and real-time combat works well and has greatly increased the fun factor for me. The main quest is pretty good, but the side quests and exploring on your own are where this game shines. Expand
  94. joshq
    Nov 11, 2008
    Really enjoyable, as for a lot of negative reviewers, maybe it's not for everyone, personally I'm more of a strict fps fan (though I do like progression), yet this game tops my list over stalker: clear sky, crysis warhead sp, and far cry 2... First off this game completely succeeds in implementing a side quest system, nothing is kill or collect this many of that, every side Really enjoyable, as for a lot of negative reviewers, maybe it's not for everyone, personally I'm more of a strict fps fan (though I do like progression), yet this game tops my list over stalker: clear sky, crysis warhead sp, and far cry 2... First off this game completely succeeds in implementing a side quest system, nothing is kill or collect this many of that, every side quest is a small story of its own.. the main storyline is refreshingly good for a change, the vats system isn't required it can be seen as a turn-based combat system or just a special bonus to the fps combat, i personally liked it though... there's a lot of different play styles you can take on from a gameplay standpoint and a decision (moral) standpoint. The cool things you stumble upon aren't just liked with the main quest, a lot of it you discover on your own. A playthrough itself is long and enjoyable and there's a lot of replay value. Expand
  95. DissapoinTedY
    Nov 14, 2008
    Flawedout 3 keeps crashing! The reviews are not telling you the truth--google it, read up on it--great game (apparently) but it isn't working for many of us. For those of you with few or no problems--great enjoy it, your reviews are all that keep most of us from selling/returning the game.
  96. RobertB
    Dec 21, 2008
    Fallout 3 is absolutely not a part of the original Fallout Franchise. It's more a Feature and a bad ripoff of the original Games. All you can do is run around and shoot Stuff thats acting quite stupid. Not many Quests, and they tend to become boring after a while. This Game is advertising with great replayablility, but in fact it's just another Facette which gives the same Fallout 3 is absolutely not a part of the original Fallout Franchise. It's more a Feature and a bad ripoff of the original Games. All you can do is run around and shoot Stuff thats acting quite stupid. Not many Quests, and they tend to become boring after a while. This Game is advertising with great replayablility, but in fact it's just another Facette which gives the same results. Even the Karmasystem influencing NPC behavious towards you is totally messed up when you compare it to the old games, not to mention the Script of the Mainquest. Go to the Mutievault where the Geck is and *boom* you are abducted without even knowing what's going on or what that secret Project is on what your Father worked. You still can give the Answers as if you would know. Also... the Ending. 90% Rad Resistance and yet you die. WTF. And you can't send in the Supermutant who has retrieved the Geck from a Deathzone for you. Bullocks. PS The Bloody Mess Trait isn't what you expect from the Game when you played the prior Installments (on the old Engine, there where two kinds of Deathanimation: Normal and cruel Splatter on Critical Hits): Killing People with Bloody Mess malms everything of their Body as if they'd explode from the Inside out. Believe me, it sounds better than it plays. Expand
  97. KMachine
    Dec 28, 2008
    And here's why: 1) Poor AI. 2) No item shortcuts (ex: You need to open your Pip Boy everytime you need to switch weapons, which gets really annoying over time). 3) You can't sprint in this game. 4) Bugs , Crashes and sudden blackscreens (PC Version). 5) No destructable environment 6) No flashlights. 7) And the last of all, the cherry on the cake: You can't even CLIMB piles And here's why: 1) Poor AI. 2) No item shortcuts (ex: You need to open your Pip Boy everytime you need to switch weapons, which gets really annoying over time). 3) You can't sprint in this game. 4) Bugs , Crashes and sudden blackscreens (PC Version). 5) No destructable environment 6) No flashlights. 7) And the last of all, the cherry on the cake: You can't even CLIMB piles of ruins for shortcuts. Now THAT's stupid. Sandbox game? You got to be kidding me. On the other hand, Graphics do seem old but for people who doesn't have a high spec computer, It's ok. Due to poor AI, combat is easy if you have tactical talents. Easy to understand tutorial... That's all. Expand
  98. NIP
    Jun 24, 2009
    I bought this expecting a change of place from Oblivion (which I couldn't stand, everything about it was wooden and their so-called "immersive world" could have been more immersive using cardboard cutouts with voice boxes taped to them), and was I ever disappointed. Same clunky animations, same clunky physics, same incredibly dull gameplay, terrible boring combat (yes Bethesda, I bought this expecting a change of place from Oblivion (which I couldn't stand, everything about it was wooden and their so-called "immersive world" could have been more immersive using cardboard cutouts with voice boxes taped to them), and was I ever disappointed. Same clunky animations, same clunky physics, same incredibly dull gameplay, terrible boring combat (yes Bethesda, everyone wants to watch their character shoot enemies instead of actually getting to do it themselves). They could have easily looked back at what made Oblivion a bad game and reworked F3 to avoid everything that made it bad, but instead they trudged blindly onwards and, unfortunately, released Oblivion With Guns: Now It's In The Future! Expand
    Nov 15, 2008
    I don't usually review/rate games but the incongruity between the rave reviews and what I experienced with this game compel me to do so. Lame story, writing, and voice-acting. Simple, repetitive gameplay that requires no skill development (unless you count patience while enduring extreme boredom as a skill); laughable NPC AI. The only redeeming aspect of this game is the interesting scenery.
  100. ColbyA.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Oblivion FPS Mod. Poor storyline, poor execution. Not what I had hoped. The V.A.T.S. system takes most of the skill out of the game, and I still don't get how I can miss 5 shots with a 95% chance to hit, but get 3 shots with a 5% chance to hit. No sense at all. And the AI left much to be desired. Much like FarCry 2, this game falls short of its promises. Also, the storyline is Oblivion FPS Mod. Poor storyline, poor execution. Not what I had hoped. The V.A.T.S. system takes most of the skill out of the game, and I still don't get how I can miss 5 shots with a 95% chance to hit, but get 3 shots with a 5% chance to hit. No sense at all. And the AI left much to be desired. Much like FarCry 2, this game falls short of its promises. Also, the storyline is incredibly short and the game ends - it's not open-ended roaming, you can complete and end the game. Even after I did ALL of the sidequests in the game and then completed the main quest, it was still very short. I'd recommend another game over this. Expand

1. PC PowerPlay
    Minor niggles aside, Fallout 3 is almost entirely spectacular. Everything from the graphics, to the sound, to the plot is first-rate. The VATS system worlds like a charm, and it’s so easy to get the hang of, you’ll be cracking skulls like there’s no tomorrow. [Dec 2008, p.55]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    A vast and open world of unimaginable possibilities opens in front of you in Fallout 3. Great story, flawless combat system, and the option to choose your own way makes it a hot candidate for game of the year. [Nov 2008]
  3. Fallout 3 is one of this year's best games. It's an unforgettable journey that lives up to the series. You are an ex-vault 101 inhabitant, and you discover a whole new world, full of zombies, mutants, raiders, aliens and all kinds of creatures. Welcome to this post-apocaliptic reality, where you are going to spend hundreds of hours.