6.6

1. May 22, 2011
    Very boring dlc, very bland, and it has nothing we haven't seen before in other fallouts. The only good thing is the scenery, which is really well done except for some confusing navigating. aside from that, it lasts about 2 or 3 hours and has a very straightforward plot that takes advantage of none of it's elements. The burned man is here, but aside from his bandages, and a few spokenVery boring dlc, very bland, and it has nothing we haven't seen before in other fallouts. The only good thing is the scenery, which is really well done except for some confusing navigating. aside from that, it lasts about 2 or 3 hours and has a very straightforward plot that takes advantage of none of it's elements. The burned man is here, but aside from his bandages, and a few spoken lines, hes unremarkable. No legion assassin hunting him, or NCR rangers, or any other subplot you could think of (and there are many), to be seen. there only two tribes, and they are really just the same one but in two different camps. the side quests take literally 5 minutes apiece to complete, and there is almost no new gear to be had. whats more, like the Dead Money DLC, it has absolutely no bearing on the Mojave. but then again thats true of all FO/DLC Expand
  2. Jun 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts has committed the most serious of gaming sins; it's boring.

Centering around the infamous Burned Man, a war hero punished for failure by Ceaser by being covered in burning pitch and tossed into the Grand Canyon, the story had every chance to be interesting and dynamic. However this chance is squandered as the character in question hands the player plain and boring fetch or kill quests while spouting biblical prose. Instead of an angry, driven who should seem 10 feet tall, we encounter a totally bland anti-hero.

Honest Hearts also suffers from some of the same bugs as New Vegas itself - AI frequently spawn inside world geometry and get stuck there; your companion AI often make bad decisions both in combat and navigation wise.

All up, I can't say I recommend this as a worthwhile addition.
  3. May 19, 2011
    Compared to Dead Money: I definitely liked Dead Money more. The only thing I liked about HH was the environment and Joshua Graham's character... everything else went by far too fast and was just too bland. You barely get to interact with any of the tribes - the moment you meet them you're immediately put on generic fetch / kill quests. Fortunately, the environment is excellently done. TheCompared to Dead Money: I definitely liked Dead Money more. The only thing I liked about HH was the environment and Joshua Graham's character... everything else went by far too fast and was just too bland. You barely get to interact with any of the tribes - the moment you meet them you're immediately put on generic fetch / kill quests. Fortunately, the environment is excellently done. The introduction sequence was also done very well, but I found it to be a downhill ride from there. I felt the ending sequences were very anticlimactic, mostly due to poor scripting, and the endings themselves didn't have any effect on me. Besides Joshua Graham, all the characters are very two-dimensional and feel like cardboard cutouts, especially one of the main characters you will meet called Daniel. In contrast, I found all the characters of Dead Money to be very interesting, and also felt it had a much better story. The endings of Dead Money are also much more satisfying and had a far greater effect on me than Honest Hearts'. Gameplay wise, Honest Hearts is very much like the base Fallout game - very open-ended and sandbox like. Unlike what seems to be a lot of people, I don't judge DLC based on the items / perks / whatever you get from them (would you pay $10 for a DLC that added a 9000 damage pistol and nothing else?)... and I think that Honest Hearts' narrative is on the weak side. If you don't have either DLC yet and want a more story and character-driven experience, get Dead Money instead. On the other hand, if you want to learn more about the Burned Man or think the very powerful guns in Honest Hearts is worth $10, get this instead. (Or just get both). Expand
  4. May 23, 2011
    This expansion is so much better than Dead Money in every way.
    I love the settings of this DLC, it takes place in Utah, at a place called Zion.
    This expansion also features rain, something i have never seen before in a Fallout game, if my memory is not failing.
    Also, it is a little bit longer than Dead Money, that if you decide to explore everything and complete every Quest and Side quests.
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    The environment is gorgeous, the trees, the plants, the sky, all of it. But the game play itself lacks. The story is too short, and the story is honestly pretty boring. They tell you the "White Legs" are very dangerous people! But they aren't. They tell you the story is deep and rich, but it's not. Etc. That's my point. It lacked in too many regards. Sure it had some really neat newThe environment is gorgeous, the trees, the plants, the sky, all of it. But the game play itself lacks. The story is too short, and the story is honestly pretty boring. They tell you the "White Legs" are very dangerous people! But they aren't. They tell you the story is deep and rich, but it's not. Etc. That's my point. It lacked in too many regards. Sure it had some really neat new weapons that's cool, and a few cool new perks, but overall the game play lacked. But I will give it a 7 for being a gorgeous landscape to explore. Expand
  6. Jun 29, 2011
    Thumbs up from this Fallout3 fan. I liked the setting far more than Dead Money's morbid landscape, liked it better than New Vegas. I play at greatest difficulty and hardcore, and it's still not hard enough, but in Honest Hearts it's not easy, and I had to carefully watch my ammo and supplies, even with a few perks that let me make my own. I do wish Zion was fully realized, more depth andThumbs up from this Fallout3 fan. I liked the setting far more than Dead Money's morbid landscape, liked it better than New Vegas. I play at greatest difficulty and hardcore, and it's still not hard enough, but in Honest Hearts it's not easy, and I had to carefully watch my ammo and supplies, even with a few perks that let me make my own. I do wish Zion was fully realized, more depth and development, more interaction with the various tribes, friendships, and perhaps even a little romance. On the minus side, Honest Hearts crashes Fallout-NV more than usual (for me it's uncommon for FNV to crash, but it crashed about 5-6 times in the whole HH playthrough), companions utter their convo lines too often, and, like I stated, I really wish there was more to this world-within-a-world, more depth. Regardless, gave it a 8, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  7. Jul 13, 2011
    I picked this up on the steam sale for $3. It was about 5+ hours of game play. New map with a bunch to explore and new weapons. .45 Pistol / sub machine gun. It was fun and worth every penny. Still worth it to pick it up full price.
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    I'll keep it simple. Dead Money was better story and action wise. It's made for mid-level players; especially those who favor small guns. There are no fun energy or big guns to be had here. Though molotovs are around! The game is somewhat fun and I enjoyed going through it, but it's lack luster for a primary point: It's very, very, incredibly short. YOu can enjoy it, but it should have been more.
  9. Jan 8, 2012
    It's an entertaining DLC with good back story for the main game and some interesting internal stories, but overall it was short and primarily good for getting experience and gear. It's best to get it on sale and do it as early on as you can.
  10. Jul 22, 2011
    I preferred this DLC to Dead Money but Honest Hearts felt a bit 'lite' to me, and a bit easy but my main gripe is that the whole thing basically consists of fetch-quests that felt like chores. Still, the Tribals and environment did remind me at times of Fallout 2 which can only be a good thing.
  11. Oct 19, 2011
    Beautiful scenery can not save this DLC from its failings - tedious fetch quests, an uninspiring main plot, and few interesting new items. While Dead Money was a bit too long; Honest Hearts is far too short. I was really surprised when the final mission began - I'd only been playing for an hour or so. If you're not already set on getting all the DLC, avoid this one.
  12. Oct 2, 2011
    Story isnt that great but realy, this is the video game genre, its about gameplay not prissy fan boys that rate their games by the story, the gameplay is well, F3/FNV gameplay, i found the exploring more fun then the mojave and the fighting is realy fun when you get into it. The beggining is also pretty dark but in a good way.
  13. Jul 27, 2011
    It is a nice DLC, adds some new weapons and the ability to go back to map where it plays after you finished the all the quests.
    The quests them self aren't to challenging and in fact a bit easy to figure everything out. The perks you gain add some sweet extra stuff and the level cap increase isn't bad at all.
    After completing each quest you'll gain at least 3 levels. Overall: A.I. Is good,
    After completing each quest you'll gain at least 3 levels. Overall:
    A.I. Is good, didn't experienced any problem at all.
    Quests are short and not really challenging (however a minimum level of 25 is useful).
    New perks are always nice, can't complain about it.
    New weapons, sadly enough the weapons require ammunition which isn't to common in New Vegas, but the weapon damage for each weapon is reasonable.

I had a great time playing trough this even if it is a bit short.
  14. Mar 3, 2012
    The middleground of the bunch. A new worldspace that is different and interesting. Some extra content that is interesting. A completely separate story that is mildly interesting. The graphics take a big hit for some reason in this dlc. The red rocky landscape is really low resolution. It's passable. And fun to explore. One thumb up, one thumb sideways.
  15. Aug 3, 2013
    A mediocre, but improved DLC offering over Dead Money, an interesting new ambiguous character and the Indian inspiration still leave a little bit to be desired.
  16. Oct 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Extremely short DLC, comprised mostly of fetch quests which are pretty much irrelevant to the story. You are basically thrown in the middle of a war of tribals against tribals, the good guys led by Joshua Graham (the Burned Man of Legion fame) and the bad guys led by someone who's just in the game to get his head blown off. Sounds interesting? I didn't think so. The quests are extremely bland and the terrain, while well made, shows off some of the problems of the engine (such as enemies walking erratically when on slopes, and AI spawning inside geometry). The tribal characters aren't interesting at all, Daniel is uncharismatic and Graham does not look like the badass that he is or used to be, just a regretful guy who keeps spewing religious **** Worse of all, the reason the games gives you to play the DLC is pretty much because Daniel tells you that "either you help us defeat the other tribe or I won't tell you how to leave Zion",and the only good aspect of this DLC is that you can then blow his head off, grab a map which shows the way off the zone and there you go, the end! In short: uninteresting quests, characters and story, and short too, so nothing to see here, move along. Expand
  17. Apr 30, 2013
    Honest Hearts is probably the most similar to the core game as you'll get out of 4 DLCs. You get a new wasteland to explore, characters to interact with, and items to find. It told a decent story and was moderately fun.
  18. Nov 18, 2011
    It is a real shame this DLC wasn't longer and more developed. The storyline needed substantially more development and the environment/map wasn't used to its full extent. However, in comparison to the preceding DLC of Dead Money, it is significantly better (probably due to the longer development time). In spite of that, it still didn't quite live up to its full potential. A veryIt is a real shame this DLC wasn't longer and more developed. The storyline needed substantially more development and the environment/map wasn't used to its full extent. However, in comparison to the preceding DLC of Dead Money, it is significantly better (probably due to the longer development time). In spite of that, it still didn't quite live up to its full potential. A very disappointing DLC despite being very good for the short duration of gameplay. Expand
  19. Jan 27, 2012
    'Zion may not be lost to us after all.'

When I heard this quote, there was something completely bad-ass about it that made me look forward to this DLC. And I did enjoy it. Very much. But I can recognise the flaws here too. Joshua Graham. The Malpais Legate. The Burned Man. The man who defied Caesar's death order. Whatever you want to call him, this is the guy, perhaps Ulysses apart,
    'Zion may not be lost to us after all.'

Joshua Graham. The Malpais Legate. The Burned Man. The man who defied Caesar's death order. Whatever you want to call him, this is the guy, perhaps Ulysses apart, that we all wanted to know. Was he really still alive? Well we all figured he would be, that's just how storytelling works. Does he live up to expectations? Probably not.

But why am I talking about one man and not the rest of the DLC? Well, that's how hyped this guy was in online communities. But then we find him, embroiled in a petty war between three tribes, remember, this is the guy who ruthlessly killed many people, He's still an intruiging character, but when you meet a character for the first time, that you've only heard of in references, they're never quite as good as in you head are they? Just sat in a cave? Hm. At least, from a story point he holds an interesting bent. The idea of flushing out the evil people and creating a 'good' society from scratch. Zion.

Ah Zion. My favourite locale in the whole of New Vegas. If you had to identify New Vegas, and indeed the whole of the Fallout series in general by a colour, it'd be grey. Grey grey grey grey grey. A splash of plant green here and there, and some grey-red if you're playing Dead Money. Zion remains almost untouched from the great wars. Plants grow everywhere, the water is beautiful, the canyons steep and gorgeous. It wills you into following Graham's idea that this could be paradise,

Unfortunately the story, while at a good pace, isn't that gripping. The choice? Kill the bad guys and stay in Zion, or run away. Duh, kill the baddies of course. Wow, that was a tough choice, might need a lie down now. The quests are pretty poor mostly too. Go and find 5 lunchboxes? Oh yeah, totally man. The only thing that forgives this is walking through the lushness.

Honest Hearts is a welcome break in a new direction for New Vegas. Joshua Graham is a good character, but no way did this Graham kill many many people in the Legion. The best looking DLC and a new refreshing slant in New Vegas.
  20. Aug 4, 2012
    In my opinion, one of the shorter downloadable content lasting around 4-5 hours. The landscape is nice and the area offers many places to explore, but the quests get boring and started losing interest after the first hour or so. Also, my game crashed 5 or so times while playing this.
  21. Aug 24, 2013
    I believe for any kind of content, you either have quantity (example: Skyrim), or you have quality (example: The Witcher 2). Preferably both, but you are screwed if you have neither. FNV is a good shot at attaining both, but unfortunately, Honest Heart has neither.

It is incredibly short; it has the illusion of a wasteland to explore but unrelated caves are so insignificant that you have no reason to explore them. Story has one character that is supposed to be significant, but he is rather bland other than the fact that he can recite bible.

Overall, a very unimpressive DLC.
  22. Nov 1, 2012
    Apart from story written in 6 computers and 1 corpse, this grey piece of averageness barely deserves a 5, you hardly remember it after a couple days, but that little gem of a story elevates it so much, that i want to thank a person (-s) who wrote it. I never thought that finding a two century old corpse would be in my list of top five moments in gaming ever. I stood for at least coupleApart from story written in 6 computers and 1 corpse, this grey piece of averageness barely deserves a 5, you hardly remember it after a couple days, but that little gem of a story elevates it so much, that i want to thank a person (-s) who wrote it. I never thought that finding a two century old corpse would be in my list of top five moments in gaming ever. I stood for at least couple minutes looking at it lost in the moment after that last journal. That was great and i thank you for it. Expand
  23. Sep 20, 2013
    Very good environment,too short game length and the story isn't good as it should be,when it was interesting tribes and very interesting main characters i think its a makeshift story work and i think that there should be an option to choose to ally with White Hands if you had a good reputation with legion (and not be from the beginning of the game hostile to you!!!)(like to be appointed byVery good environment,too short game length and the story isn't good as it should be,when it was interesting tribes and very interesting main characters i think its a makeshift story work and i think that there should be an option to choose to ally with White Hands if you had a good reputation with legion (and not be from the beginning of the game hostile to you!!!)(like to be appointed by Caesar to travel to Zion Canyon and help the Caesar allies The White Hands to destroy the other tribes or make a peace treaty (Which you can take the one or the other side and help them to negotiate the treaty and stop the war (Like TES:Skyrim when you have to negotiate peace treaty to win Alduin) and the loser side leaves(And go to the NV environment or to a new environment like Dead Horse Point (And you can visit them and help them win the new war against the tribe living on these lands(Not for the white hands cause they have already some other lands except Zion Valley)or losses some lands and you can persuade Caesar not to assimilate the white hands if they win or do a quest like the Great Khans and persuade the White Hands to break their alliance with Caesar and do many quest with the tribes like become their leader or persuade them (For example) to turn from raiders to farmers or to gun dealers or to technology collectors(Like brotherhood of steel) or to a democracy (Like NCR) or raise their army make new encampments or settlements and some other quests about citizens differences,about stop the Legion or NCR or other factions assassins to kill their leaders,about make alliances and about fortify their settlements building new (wood mostly) houses and other building(Like assassins creed 3 homestead) and many other quests.And i think they must had grow the map (make it at least 3 times bigger have more tribes,citizens,factions (like Caesar's Legion and NCR)and more place to make some more villages and other places and more story.
    In conclusion i think that this whole dlc was an sketchy work and had a lot of things to bean added!!!
    (And It is ridiculous when the white hand leader the Salt-Upon-Wounds loses the battle and cry like a little girl to not been executed i think that he had to deal with it with bravery!!!
  24. Aug 3, 2014
    After playing the highly imaginative and original Dead Money DLC, Honest Hearts felt pretty weak and unnecessary in comparison. It's still a good Fallout trip among the Indians into the Zion national park with it's nice stoney nature to explore, but other than that, the experience was quite short, not even 5 hours and pretty average. 5/10
  25. Dec 5, 2014
    It's sort of alright. Interesting location, but way too short. I thought you should be able to have more choice, to choose which side you want to fight for. Sorrows or the White Legs. And not just be lumped with The Sorrows. This DLC could of been much better.

1. Jun 28, 2011
    The majority of the DLC is utterly devoid of surprises, treats or interesting characters and places, and you'll soon start getting bored.
  2. Jun 25, 2011
    The story and decisions are bigger attractions than the limited-appeal loot and artificially toughened enemies.
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    A fresh perspective on what Fallout: New Vegas may be – very relaxing and calm game. [July 2011, p.117]