8.4

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1959 Ratings

1. Dec 24, 2010
    I was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seemI was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seem huge compared to the Capital wastes, with an abundance of familiar settings and a huge array of side quests. I was a little disappointed with the New Vegas Strip; I felt it could have been bigger with a lot more to see and do. A big plus is the companion wheel; this makes managing your companions much easier.

In summary, If you loved Fallout 3 then you'll love this game. I you didn't play Fallout 3 but are willing to work through this game's bugs, then I am sure that you'll learn to love it.
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  3. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionallyObsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  4. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running intoI'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  6. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. IFirst let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  7. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  8. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if youI thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE playerBethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  10. Oct 26, 2010
    I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot, and hoped the same would be the case with New Vegas, but.., it doesnt have the same openness, feels more linear, and the bugs seem even more apparent. One thing is having a foe stuck in a rock, I can accept that once in a while. But there is huge flaws in the game mechanics when it comes to factions when you can simply walk into a camp and set free a captive,I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot, and hoped the same would be the case with New Vegas, but.., it doesnt have the same openness, feels more linear, and the bugs seem even more apparent. One thing is having a foe stuck in a rock, I can accept that once in a while. But there is huge flaws in the game mechanics when it comes to factions when you can simply walk into a camp and set free a captive, without any reaction whatsoever, seeing how you are friendly aligned with both factions involved. (The captured and the captures). Such elements really break down the game world reality and make it far less fun to play. As for the state the game is in atm, I find 60 to be what it deserves, with hope that it can improve into the 70-80 with a few patches.â Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2010
    I've played each Fallout game since the first and I have to say I'm as disappointed with Fallout: New Vegas as I was with Fallout 3. I always thought it would be fun to have a 1st person perspective while playing Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics, but Bethesda simply does a poor job of it. New Vegas was rushed to market before it was ready much like Fallout 3. Wait for the bargain bin on this one.I've played each Fallout game since the first and I have to say I'm as disappointed with Fallout: New Vegas as I was with Fallout 3. I always thought it would be fun to have a 1st person perspective while playing Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics, but Bethesda simply does a poor job of it. New Vegas was rushed to market before it was ready much like Fallout 3. Wait for the bargain bin on this one.

Positives: Obsidian does a MUCH better job of writing story lines and quests than Bethesda did. Good voice acting. New environment and (slight) movement forward in terms of the Fallout canon. Negatives: Its still Oblivion (LOLblivion) with guns. As others have posted, you think they would've improved the game engine and graphics by now! The VATS system makes the game laughably easy and you can kite any enemy in the game. If you play the game without VATS, the NPCs dodge and weave like a weasel on crack all while maintaining pinpoint accuracy. Although the stories for each quest is better, the execution is still murky at best as one wrong dialogue choice cuts off entire quests. Certain quests are only offered under poorly designed circumstances with NPCs not reacting to successful completions or acting as if you DIDN"T just save their whole city from bad guys. Final analysis: Rushed out to market before true completion in a manner typical of Bethesda. This is essentially DLC for Fallout 3 that they tried (and failed) to pass off as a stand alone game. Although the fan boys, "independent reviewers" and paid Bethesda employees will seek to skew these rating sites, the proof is in the lackluster sales and general negative, poor opinion of Bethesda.
  12. Dec 8, 2010
    All I can say is thank God I have this on the PC and can go and get mods from the Nexus!

I mean really, Fallout 3 was amazing, and compared to that the Mojave Wasteland feels kind of empty. From the rushed Main Quest story lines and the "OMG! You can't be serious" moments, I've really found myself struggling to enjoy this game. The combat IS the one thing that saves the game! The Nexus

The Nexus is thankfully filled with a LOT of helpful people, who not only improve the visuals (with mods such as Fellout, and one that gives streetlights light!). Another good mod is Real Time Settler, although it is buggy at the moment, this was a great mod for FO3 that let you create your own little village which you had to be with CONSTANTLY otherwise it would fail!.

Overall, New Vegas is a pretty shoddy sequel for a game that had so much impact on the gaming world.
  13. Oct 21, 2010
    New Vegas is an example of a company that relies on brand recognition to sell an inferior product. Over 2 years ago, Fallout 3 was successful and profitable game. With Fallout: New Vegas, Bethesda decided to squeeze every last dollar out of the franchise by creating a game that should have been an expansion pack or downloadable content. The storyline is nearly identical to the previousNew Vegas is an example of a company that relies on brand recognition to sell an inferior product. Over 2 years ago, Fallout 3 was successful and profitable game. With Fallout: New Vegas, Bethesda decided to squeeze every last dollar out of the franchise by creating a game that should have been an expansion pack or downloadable content. The storyline is nearly identical to the previous game. The mechanics, combat, and interface have not changed. Even the graphics engine is the same one as Fallout 3. Bethesda did not even bother adding modern graphical effects with DirectX 10 or 11. The bugs are so incredibly obvious on the PC that anyone who was testing the game would have a list pages long after a couple hours of gameplay. This game should have been $19.99 as a downloadable expansion for Fallout 3. The PC version is clearly an afterthought, and it shows. New Vegas was written for a console, probably as a minor release, but at some point it was decided to make it a major, full priced release.

But is it fun to play? Well, if you can get past the bugs, and perhaps after a few patches, then yes the game is enjoyable. If you liked Fallout 3, you'll like this game. But wait until it hits the bargain bin.
  14. Oct 31, 2010
    Considering this Game is almost exactly like Fallout 3 , one would think it to be more like an expansion. The Game engine is the same and although they did change a few things such as iron sights on guns it does not really feel any newer. If you charge $60 For a full retail game update graphics and game engine after 2 years! Now onto the ultimate crime... this game is so buggy that itConsidering this Game is almost exactly like Fallout 3 , one would think it to be more like an expansion. The Game engine is the same and although they did change a few things such as iron sights on guns it does not really feel any newer. If you charge $60 For a full retail game update graphics and game engine after 2 years! Now onto the ultimate crime... this game is so buggy that it crashed on me about 5 times in 10 hours... even after I patched it. the quests are broken and unplayable... if this title was $20 and was stable I would recommend it to hardcore Fallout 3 players only because its a new story and you have additions like gambling now. I bet this will hurt Bethesda/obsidian hard... Expand
  15. Oct 21, 2010
    I'm very disappointed with this one, certainly a piss poor PC port. No in-game graphics options, can't even use standard windows shortcuts such as alt-enter, on that basis alone this game wouldn't even pass Games For Windows certification (not that I am a big GFWL fan mind you). Loads of graphical glitches, loads of gameplay glitches, terrible distance LODing. Despite seeing a lot ofI'm very disappointed with this one, certainly a piss poor PC port. No in-game graphics options, can't even use standard windows shortcuts such as alt-enter, on that basis alone this game wouldn't even pass Games For Windows certification (not that I am a big GFWL fan mind you). Loads of graphical glitches, loads of gameplay glitches, terrible distance LODing. Despite seeing a lot of things that shouldn't be in a shipped game in the first few minutes I gave it more of a chance, after about 40 minutes of gameplay I realized that I had played this game before, except its previous incarnation was a lot less buggy.

This is the last time i'll buy a game from these clowns (Obsidian/Bethesda) without carefully looking into it first, as a publisher/developer they certainly don't seem to care much for quality (at least for the PC version, I can't comment on PS3/XBox360). Infortunately, this was a day 1 purchase for me. I should have waited and read the reviews.
  16. Oct 19, 2010
    Buggy POS. This game is very much in the habit of reverting quicksaves and autosaves to the first one you ever make. So let's say you get 4 hours into the game and then crash or restart, guess what? Next time you run the game you lose 4 hours of playtime and start at the beginning. Invisible walls are everywhere, can't hike up a hill without running into one. Also enemies have a habit ofBuggy POS. This game is very much in the habit of reverting quicksaves and autosaves to the first one you ever make. So let's say you get 4 hours into the game and then crash or restart, guess what? Next time you run the game you lose 4 hours of playtime and start at the beginning. Invisible walls are everywhere, can't hike up a hill without running into one. Also enemies have a habit of of spawning inside walls and crashing the game. There may be some improvements over Fallout 3 in there, but I wouldn't know as I've been replaying the same 4 hours of game over the past 8 hours. Expand
  17. Oct 21, 2010
    Bethesda did it again. Even when I thought my expectations could not have possibly been lower since the mediocre FO3 and it's laughable DLC, they managed to amaze me yet another time by taking this game into a new low. Do not believe the reviews of the press.

Every aspect of this game has been catered to what we call the 'new generation' of gamers. A poorly thought out, yet incredibly simplistic rpg system that effectively kills any sort of difficulty in this game. If you do not roll through the game using the VATS system, or kiting equally fast enemies to death using the laughable shooting mechanics that take any sort of excitement out of this game, then you are sure the game beats itself using the bug fest of a game engine against your enemies.

How could this engine still be so terrible? Bethesda has been using it since Oblivion. That's at least 5 years of development. Bugs and random crashes break any fun of the game. Enemies getting stuck in objects and bumps of the map.. even scripted events like quest completions tend to break the game. And what is up with the graphics? Did Bethesda stop improving the visuals since Oblivion? It looks like a PS2 game released in 2010. Walking to new locations takes up a considerable time, and adds virtually nothing to the game play, other than a way to sink your time with uninspired environments and enemies.

The 'plot', is an absolute joke. Whereas Bethesda ruined the concept of the Vault Dweller along FO3's progression, they did not even seem to care to make a game where dialogue and story plays a major role interesting. Conversations are forced and robotic (in both speech and animations, even when it has many voice actors), and embarrassing to any human being that ever wrote anything down. The karma system is, as in FO3, poorly thought out, breaking any game credibility for a decent role playing experience.

It's a poor port as well. I've seen developers do better in the past when they at least tried to make something out of a muliplat release.
  18. Feb 6, 2013
    I don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: RecommendedI don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: Recommended to everyone who likes the world of Fallout. Expand
  19. May 24, 2011
    It takes what Fallout 3 did so well and turns it up to 11. A larger map, better combat and more weapons, and a huge array of quests and factions await you in Fallout: New Vegas. Anyone who enjoyed Fallout 3 should pick this game up now. The engine is starting to show its age though, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this a higher score.
  20. May 10, 2012
    This is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. CombatThis is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. Combat is identical to Fallout 3 and it uses the same formula.
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    So many bugs! It's kind of fun but apparently it is common to get MORE BUGS as you get further in the game, as in STOP, CRASH! I like several dialogue heavy games but I can only bother to listen to a handful of these people. They have two actors I recognize from Star Trek which was fun but I realized then that the good actors refer to the leader of the legion as "K-EYE-ZAR" and V.O. theySo many bugs! It's kind of fun but apparently it is common to get MORE BUGS as you get further in the game, as in STOP, CRASH! I like several dialogue heavy games but I can only bother to listen to a handful of these people. They have two actors I recognize from Star Trek which was fun but I realized then that the good actors refer to the leader of the legion as "K-EYE-ZAR" and V.O. they don't care about refer to the legion leader as "CEE-SER".
    Gameplay is fun but the controls could have been MUCH better. Managing stats, inventory, and quests is harder than it needs to be. Tutorial is terrible with little explanation.
    Did I mention buggy?
  22. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  23. Mar 8, 2012
    Posting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCsPosting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCs which look artificial. IMO the performance is subpar compared to other games with better graphics like the Crysis 2. You see slowdowns to 40fps and you do not know what causes it. Sometimes the terrain loading into memory is buggy. Overall doesn`t look very good, just ok.==============Gameplay is largely the same as in F3, but in F:NV has been enriched plenty. The crafting got a big boost. You can now make anything given if you have the right skills and ingredients. You can make many food, ammo, weapon,explosives, armor options. There has been a lot of weapons added, lots of them are very cool, with many available upgrades which actually change how they feel and play. Iron sight has been added, so the game crosshair is not needed anymore.There is so much of the stuff to gather that it is hard to grasp. The weapon and armor balance has been reworked, so now you can dispatch a heavily armored opponent with AP ammo fairly easily, while HP ammo is to be used on animals. There are up to four variants of ammo for almost every weapon available which is very impressive and enriches the gameplay tenfold.=============STORY. It is cool, not much better from F3 but ok I guess. You can now choose a fraction to ally with, but you can go on with yourself freely if you choose to do so. It is up to you. You have a few of important story variants. The quests are mostly interesting, not only kill or talk. Ther are many interesting locations, with interesting logs to hear and read. IMO the mood of the game is still succesfully postnuclear. Summing it up, playing doesn`t get boring , there is much incentive to keep going, exploring. The combat system in this game is still shallow to be honest.============DLCs are well worth the price and time spent. It gets stale at times, but the story of each dlc progresses at the right moment to keep being interesting. IMO the Honest Hearts dlc is by far the worst one but still ok.===========MUSIC is the same as in Fallout 2 wih some new tunes. To be honest I liked the idea because people added old F2 tunes to the game by themselves anyway.The melodies never get old and pose a great addition to the story. However, the radio from Pipboy is inferior to this from F3. ======OVERALL verdict - upgraded Fallout 3. Expand
  24. Feb 13, 2012
    Underrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very differentUnderrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very different beast inside a familiar skin.

And yes, this game is very buggy. Moreso than skrim, oblivion, and fallout 3. However I had far too much immersion fun and memorable moments to let the crashes and glitches affect my play. Some people ditch a game when it locks up on them a few times. They have every right to have that stance, however that's the price you pay. And it's a price that reduces the score from 10/10 to 9/10. So not that much of a price.
  25. Apr 23, 2011
    Good all around game. I even have to play it on low settings at the moment until i get my new graphics card, but even at low settings it is a great game!
  26. Jul 22, 2011
    Alongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack andAlongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack and Hardcore Mode made me feel I was playing the original games again, enter severe nostalgia. I found F:NV incredibly hard to put down, absorbing and so bloody addictive (142 hours currently logged on Steam). Expand
  27. Jun 18, 2012
    The game lacks some of the iconic set pieces of FO3, but in every other way surpasses the original. This includes the four DLC, which combine to form their own unique, compelling story. Be sure to purchase the GOTY edition for the full experience. Props to Obsidian and props to Bethesda for handing the reins back to the franchise's creators.

It would get full marks alone for the

It would get full marks alone for the merciful lack of metro tunnels.
  28. Apr 30, 2012
    48 hours in and my interest is waning. I have all the DLC and feel like it will never be over, so I stopped. Too much content is not normally a problem but in this case it doesn't compel me to continue. The game is definately worth a play, don't get me wrong. 48 hours is a fair investment for a busy person. The weapons are interesting and some of the storylines are great. The vista is48 hours in and my interest is waning. I have all the DLC and feel like it will never be over, so I stopped. Too much content is not normally a problem but in this case it doesn't compel me to continue. The game is definately worth a play, don't get me wrong. 48 hours is a fair investment for a busy person. The weapons are interesting and some of the storylines are great. The vista is stunning in some areas and overall it was a great experience. Definately an 8, if you have the time. Expand
  29. May 21, 2012
    I'd say it's a good game. Lots to do, lots to decide. I just hope they/someone would make a new one of these "Wasteland" Post-nuclear war games with lots of stuff to do and a good in-game engine and performance in general.

Good game nevertheless.
  30. Jun 18, 2012
    The sequel to Fallout 2 I´ve been waiting for over a decade. It has taken 140 hours of my life. The interaction between factions, the meaningful characters, the improved dialog system, the way it really allows for different styles of play, makes it a brilliant game. An experience, more than a game.
  31. Jun 23, 2012
    If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types,If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types, companion interaction (which is a big part of this game), mini-games and faction system. There's the new Hardcore Mode too, on which you will feel a more realistic scenario, being subjected to thirst, starvation and sleep deprivation and some other changes making you more of a survivor and less of a killing machine.

Unfortunately the game is pretty straightforward, with no possibility to continue after the last battle, coupled with the lack of memorable landmarks, makes New Vegas a bit subpar for Fallout 3 fans. The plot could be a bit more ambitious too, with more emphasis on morally subjective quests and choices.

PS: The DLCs are a must. Each one has a particular theme and new possibilities.
  32. Sep 2, 2012
    I absolutely loved Fallout 3, but Fallout New Vegas didn't have the same feel for me. Don't get me wrong, it was still an ok game, just not on Fallout 3's level, and I will tell you why. A lot of people who started New Vegas felt lost at first. I understand it is an open world game and you can choose your own path, but they were almost too lenient with the path in this game. It has theI absolutely loved Fallout 3, but Fallout New Vegas didn't have the same feel for me. Don't get me wrong, it was still an ok game, just not on Fallout 3's level, and I will tell you why. A lot of people who started New Vegas felt lost at first. I understand it is an open world game and you can choose your own path, but they were almost too lenient with the path in this game. It has the same great mechanics as Fallout 3, killing and collecting, but at times you don't really know what to do next. Once I got to downtown Vegas I think the story actually further suffered and got more confusing. I felt at times that this game should have been an expansion to 3, it just didn't feel like a whole new game. I also have to mention that the one DLC I tried sent me into some weird world where my choices were limited and I was walking around killing ghosts, it was actually terrible and made me stop playing the game. I know this game is not terrible and would like to give it another shot someday, but probably won't have time with so many good titles out. Expand
  33. Sep 2, 2013
    In terms of game enjoyability, I give it an 8.7. It has a great story and gives you a lot of freedom to write your own backstory, and heavily improves on Fallout 3's system by adding more perks and true ironsights.

As a standalone game, this shouldn't even get a 5. If you're expecting the transition between Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas to be similar to how it was between Oblivion and Skyrim, bury that thought. It frustrated me that New Vegas' weapons, engine, and game mechanics were essentially recycled from Fallout 3. I understand that there were time constraints, but making a shinier version of an already-released game (which is what most of the sports games and CoDs are doing at this point) is not an impressive feat.

Not to mention, the game is incomplete. There are so many bug fixes that are needed, and luckily, most of those come from mods. With that being said, I reach yet another gigantic problem that no mod will be able to fix. The save issue.

The reason why I enjoy the new Fallouts so much is because of the open world and the vast amount of things to do besides the story. Therefore, a playthrough can easily swallow dozens (even more than a hundred) hours. The problem with New Vegas is the fact that, in addition to the many bugs that flaw the game, the saves get bigger. It's not noticeable at first, but after a while, quicksaving will freeze up the game for a few moments. For a while, you won't pay it any mind, but after a few hundred saves, you'll know what I'm talking about. The game will become extremely sluggish. It will crash very often. It will take nearly five seconds to open your pip boy. And it keeps getting worse with every save until you give up on the playthrough. Mods tend to speed up this process, unfortunately, by adding more data to the game.

Overall, I give the game a 65/100. Obsidian should have had more time, so-to make a better product that could have lived up to its predecessor, Fallout 3, but due to time constraints, all they could do was simply build on Fallout 3's system, which is very disappointing for a gamer coming off Fallout 3 and enjoying it a ton.

Buy Fallout 3 instead. A lot of times, I tend to disagree with game critics, but in terms of these two games, critics are correct. Fallout New Vegas is *okay*, but Fallout 3 is a lot better.
  34. Jan 4, 2015
    Great game. I don't like it more than I like Fo3, or even as much, but I do like it.

The only big letdown really was the Vegas Strip itself. I remember feeling, "So that's it?" when I first reached it upon release. Needing a high amount of Caps just to get into a small 2-instanced area was.... I dunno, but I'm surprised more people aren't peeved at how weak the gem of the game actually felt. Also, choosing who gets control over it (Ceaser, House, You) offers very littler difference. If you choose yourself, you will not notice anything particularly special about "owning" the Strip. No incentives/bonuses, you still have to check your weapons at the casino's, etc.

The voice acting is another thing I'd like to reflect on. Fallout 3's was pretty consistent, but NV's is a mixed bag. VA's like Laura Bailey deliver their lines effectively enough, but others, like Chanadler Bong's (Matthew Perry) feel rushed and phoned in.

One other thing- the writing. I've seen people say, "I like NV better because the writing was better". Huh? I'm not saying FO3's was better, but I'm saying it's pretty much the same in both games. There are actual deep missions in FO3, same as NV. One does not seem better than the other to me.

Other than that, it's everything you loved about FO3- but more, more or less. More ammo, perks, quests than FO3. The only other gripe I have is the map- it's kind of small and barren. In FO3, you have towns and metro systems. In NV, you have the Strip, some military camps, some refugee camps, and a few (small) towns. I found NV to mostly be sand, whereas in FO3 you have towns and the Capitol Hill to traipse through.

All in all, I'd recommend both titles played in no particular order, as they both offer a great Fallout experience, even if each a little varied.
  35. Apr 15, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and whiteFallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and white hero/villain simply following a bread crumb trail. As much as I loved Fallout 3, this is what the original Fallout creators wanted to see happen to the IP.

PS: Even though this game is still bringing money into Bethesda's pockets 5 years later, Obsidian was denied a bonus because of the initial review scores posted on this website. They needed to score an 85 on here and scored an 84. If every reviewer did an ultimate edition review it would almost certainly break 85 or even 90 metascore. Obsidian developers, and those laid off after the project, should get compensation. If this industry wasn't so ass backwards.
  36. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but keptFirst, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  37. Jan 5, 2011
    If you liked Fallout 3, then you will like New Vegas. The games are remarkably similar in their gameplay. These games are not for people who want to button mash or kill lots of people online. They are both expansive worlds with lots of places to discover, challenges to overcome and an interesting main storyline. I actually enjoy wandering around the map discovering things and seeingIf you liked Fallout 3, then you will like New Vegas. The games are remarkably similar in their gameplay. These games are not for people who want to button mash or kill lots of people online. They are both expansive worlds with lots of places to discover, challenges to overcome and an interesting main storyline. I actually enjoy wandering around the map discovering things and seeing what I can find. Most games like this restrict where you can and cannot go; other than the outside borders, you can explore this whole world. Fallout 3 was a 10 for me. New Vegas is not as good, mostly because of how glitchy the game is. You can lose hours of game play just because it freezes. You can lose "companions" that fall places. You can utterly screw up your entire game by going out a door you cannot re-enter. It would have been a great deal better if they had waited to put this game out and fixed the glitches. One of my good friends told me how glitchy it was and I thought it must be something she was doing or her system. Nope. At times, you cannot get totally into the game because you need to think about whether its going to freeze on you. That makes a 10 a 7 to me. Expand
  38. Jan 14, 2011
    Maybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with HardcoreMaybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with Hardcore mode (the only way to play) and a Western theme. Despite my frustrations inside, love it. Also wish creatures would not respawn all the time (even mods didn't seem to stop it). Oh and get the RACE mod and the song packs - Bethesda's radio was a cute idea (again) but they need the 1-200 extra songs modders put in for them. Expand
  39. Nov 27, 2010
    Fallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem toFallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem to get stuck on the most minor map obstacles and chase the enemy even when you ask them to stay put. If you never tried Fallout 3, then get this one, if you did not like Fallout 3, you will likely not like this game. On the pro side, there is a great story, expansive and open areas to explore, new settings and life forms. Expand
  40. Apr 26, 2011
    Kick a** period.
    Ya well i'd rather play an awesome game that is so involved it had a few bugs then a mediocr game that ran great.
    People say " It more of Fallout 3" like thats a bad thing.. ya it plays closely the same but the depth of the quests / land/ NPC's you name it is all done really well. If you liked 3 your gonna love this. Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82
    Kick a** period.
    If you liked 3 your gonna love this.
    Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82 and played the entire Fallout series and grown/changed with it and loved its progression all the way. 10/10 in my book. But5 i dont whine and moan over a few patches being needed for a monster size game that has such a massive way for each player to progress through.. you could not have possibly Beta tested this and caught it all. where i work we have a CND "cannot duplicate" code for things we had never seen and could not repeat but other people could.. big deal.. you guys support your work and make corrections what the hell else are you suppose to do. Thanks for making this KA game.
  41. Mar 9, 2011
    I absolutely loved fallout 3, and it goes without saying that New Vegas is more of the same treat. It's a different atmosphere than FO3, granted, but it's also a different city with a different set of circumstances.

I enjoyed the expanded equipment roster, the new additions to the rulesets and character creation, and the new options for immersion (such as the semi-realistic thirst and such) The only thing I can honestly say I dislike about New Vegas is the typically poor Bethesda support. The game doesn't work properly right out of the box, crashes a lot, and requires the constant tender ministrations of a devoted fanbase to make it look good and continue running... but if you can get past the technical hurdles and somehow kludge together a stable install, it's a heckuva gaming experience.
  42. Mar 29, 2012
    Great dialogues and characters as well as the option to solve quests in multiple ways involving the use of your character skills. Nothing that cant be fixed by the impressive mod community. Solid purchase of a game that will last you quite awhile.
  43. May 31, 2011
    definitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stasheddefinitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stashed at pile without strong scenario connections between them (no wonder coz it just wasn't really convincing that world after Armageddon could really evolve to this kind of place). Except that it's rather strong game but if you would like to describe it precisely it's rather Oblivion based at first Fallout's than Fallout's sequel with Oblivion engine. Expand
  44. Jun 24, 2011
    Not since the original Baldur's Gate has a CRPG combined a strong storyline with free-form exploration so well. Beautifully realised setting, loads of things to find, four different endings and "Yes Man" -- one of the best characters in a CRPG. I wish I had time to play this again! Make sure you install the patches; the release build was pretty buggy.
  45. Aug 18, 2012
    [First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually[First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually unchanged save for new weapons and iron sight aiming and the quests are as fun as ever. The most significant difference is the reputation system which dictates how different factions and settlements will react to you. For example, doing favours for someone will increase your reputation with that settlement or doing vice versa will degrade your reputation. The system does produce interesting scenarios from a role-playing perspective but it means little to me as I'm more interested in the world and the quests. The game has a more distinct vibe to it than Fallout 3 despite the main story being uninteresting in comparison, the colourful Vegas looks quite spectacular from a distance. So from a first-impressions viewpoint, I like New Vegas. It still has plenty of interesting quests and I'll no doubt enjoy what the reputation system can offer but for some reason I can't get that interested in the setting. Expand
  46. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New Vegas is just a stellar improvement on the FO3 formula. The new lands to explore (And conquer for some of us) are a fresh start, though the mostly vault-less land feels a little different than your usual Fallout romp. Still crossing the wastes of Nevada and fighting everything from Powder Gangers to Giant Rad Scorpions to Deathclaws is a blast. The story you follow of the errand boy of Nevada gone wrong is intriguing and leads you through some interesting areas to learn of what happened, and exact revenge on someone who wronged you. The DLC that has come out for the game has been pretty fun. I have the GOTY edition from Steam with all the DLC packs and I've gotta say Old World Blues was a helluva good time. The writing in that DLC pack more than makes up for any frustrating pieces. I love the Fallout Universe and it's always fun to go back and pick it up again and play things out in a different way or order than you did before. Great fun :) Expand
  47. Mar 6, 2013
    It was good, just not as good as Fall Out 3. Graphics are decent, gameplay mechanics are good, FPS RPG, just felt like an expansion to Fall Out 3. Which, by no means is a terrible thing, just felt lacking in substance at times, but overall a good experience.
  48. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played the first fallouts, so I was always wondering why so many users didn't like fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot.
    After playing NV however I realized why so many people hated F3. It was more a shooter than a RPG game like the first 2 ones.
    NV really made me to immerse with the world, with the politics, with the factions. My choices influenced the events, how the factions react toward me, what I can speak with someone or what I can not. I really enjoyed that I do really play a role in the game's world, that my actions really influence things around the world.

I could even give a 10, but some bugs here and there and graphical glitches really stop me from doing that.
  49. Jan 7, 2012
    The game is a master piece, another master piece from Bethesda Game Studios.I sold this game, but today I'm going to get it again...
    The radios are good but could be better, the game-play is the same has Fallout 3, EPIC, vast world to investigate, 3 endings.
    Has many weapons to choose from, suits to wear and you can even created your own character. If you are a great Fallout fan you
    If you are a great Fallout fan you probably already have this game, but if you're new to the series you should start with this one.
  50. Jun 27, 2013
    It's a solid 7, imo. Although still pretty good, the art direction got worse from Fallout 3. I doubt anyone wants to see a poorly textured cartoon cowboy face on a robot, but New Vegas has that and much more. The amount of cringe-worthy moments in the game detract from the experience.

Some enemies are poorly done and look more like mediocre mods than core parts of the vanilla game. I'm looking at you, tiny mantis enemies and purple super mutants. *glare*

The lighting and general graphics have gotten worse from Fallout 3. HDR lighting is arguably better, but texture resolutions are unchanged, and Obsidian's texture artists are not nearly as skilled as Bethesda's. As usual for games on the Gamebryo Engine, physics and shadows are almost nonexistent. Most other games today use various combinations of hair physics, cloth physics, destruction physics, and sometimes even skin physics. New Vegas has none of those. Many items are laughably low-poly, and the orange tint to the screen turns blues and greens into muddy shades of aqua. I haven't seen a game with worse colors in a long time.

It's a very poor port. Graphics options are mostly accessible only from the main menu, and the game is optimized horribly. Even with a GTX 660 TI, which overkills the recommended settings, the framerate drops into the 15-20 range at times. This is unacceptable, considering I run Crysis 3 much better than that, and New Vegas looks awful by comparison. Fallout 3 looks better and runs better. Archive invalidation is still required for texture mods, which is archaic and unreliable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the PC port of New Vegas is similar in quality to the reviled port of Dark Souls. The difference is, Dark Souls is actually a great game, and New Vegas doesn't even have that to soften the blow of a terrible port.

That's not to say the game is all bad. The approach to sexuality is more mature in New Vegas than it was in Fallout 3, and more work went into making ghouls 'real' characters, despite the fact that there are fewer of them. In addition, the companions in the game are much better and characters have more developed personalities. Character skin is more detailed and realistic than in Fallout 3, and settings are typically more original.

New Vegas is larger than Fallout 3, and weapon mods and hardcore mode are great additions.

Some things improved from Fallout 3, while other things got worse. It's an average game which will no doubt be mildly entertaining for just about everyone, but I doubt many people will love it.
  51. Dec 26, 2011
    In my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dontIn my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dont have to use VATS to win, like in fallout 3, if you like aiming with guns, use the ironsights, makes it more fun, and even feels better to play with, instead of pausing the game every 2 seconds to aim at some guy trying to kill you, you can just aim at him and let it rip. then you get the DLC...4 of them, all with a great story, that all tie together in a little way with the original game, bethesda...i take my hat off to you, Great job. Expand
  52. Dec 31, 2011
    I think obsidian is the top rpg creator game in our days. New vegas is deep, is dark and have a very nice story and a world open to explore. Very nice work, very nice game
  53. Jan 17, 2012
    Huge open world, much better than the original Fallout 3 in my opinion. The amount of mods available for this game is staggering, from graphical enhancements, to huge content packs. You could easily lose >50 hours in this game.
  54. Jan 10, 2012
    Although i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. IAlthough i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. I had no problems personally running this game although it has crashed on me twice in the 40 hours that have been played. If you like rpg's or Couldn't get enough of Fallout 3 you should buy this game. Expand
  55. Feb 5, 2012
    It is enjoyable if you can get it to work..
    It is enjoyable if you can get it to work..
    Constant issues comes by as I play it, it lags sometimes when I walk around trying to load up areas, even if I lower the detail it does it, it's something wrong with the game, and since I own an ATI Radeon graphic card, there is no fix as I know of to fix it. (Don't say I have a bad computer, since I can play Skyrim fine on Medium settings, and Fallout 3 fine on High settings.) I own it both for Xbox and PC and it is really enjoyable when it works for PC. Good game, but with bugs.
  56. Mar 3, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with F3 since for me it lacked the soul of the earlier Fallout games. In F:NV the world feels lot more like Fallout 2 and even the story is kind of continuation from that. This game is must buy for Fallout fans.
  57. Feb 28, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The reason I scored this at 8 rating because it has often lot of problems such as loading took long but really never take to game. It turn out glitches cause it but it really worth to play.
  58. Oct 15, 2012
    Obsidian took Fallout 3 and learned from previous mistakes and really improved the game play and the story.

And they returned fallout to it roots with a lot of very "Fallout" tongue in cheek humor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3. Just the options provided by the modding community alone should give this game a 90+ rating. They really

I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3.

They really improved on what they provided for Fallout 3.

I still fire it up to play just to try out the new mods.
  59. Jan 1, 2013
    This is a 10/10 game while at first there were numerous bugs that would bring this to an 8 they have been corrected a long time ago. Personally The DLC is hit and miss but you can get it all for 20 bucks do not miss this game if you are a fallout fan.
  60. Mar 14, 2012
    Best game ever. Made me go buy Fallout 3 which showed me how wise they were in New Vegas to decrease the popcap minefields that they called the 'game map'. Only bad part about this game is that it ends - but its an amazing ride.
  61. Mar 15, 2012
    It started out with a few bugs but nothing they haven't fixed with patches or to game crushing. This game is awesome any true fallout or ES fan should buy and play.
  62. Mar 15, 2012
    Most depressing game world ever, and yet so full of life I want to live in it. This games adds to what makes Bethesda one of the best. I can never put their games down.
  63. Mar 15, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game, great characters and the continued great game-play of FO3. Few games really make me feel like I'm in a living breathing world as Fallout New Vegas has.
  64. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. thou shalt get that bonus huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue Expand
  65. Mar 15, 2012
    I am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmedI am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmed with the depressive nature of previous installments. It is alive and enjoyable. Expand
  66. Mar 15, 2012
    Great game with a decent difficulty curve. enjoyable atmosphere with many wonderful DLC expansions. the missions are kinda bland at times but overall great
  67. Mar 15, 2012
    Très bon jeu.. Bien meilleur que Fallout 3. L'esprit se rapproche fortement de Fallout et Fallout 2.
    La liberté d'action est très développée et nous permet de faire des choix moraux douteux, ou au contraire preux.
    A conseiller vivement pour ceux qui ne 'lont pas encore fait !
  68. Mar 17, 2012
    I was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you putI was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you put off by the initially buggy experience, I assure you that the game has been patched since then and the DLC only goes to show what great support Obsidian has provided for this game. Mod support is fantastic as well for those of you that care. Expand
  69. Mar 17, 2012
    A fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humorA fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humor is revived here, as well. Fantastic! Expand
  70. May 24, 2012
    Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new,Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new, and unlike Fallout 3's added features they are not dumbing down the game. Game is still somehow limited given the engine and the fact that it's multiplatform. Fallout New Vegas is something Fallout 3 should be. A game worthy it's predecessors name. Expand
  71. Mar 25, 2012
    Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me.Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me. However I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who loves open worlds, shooters, with rpg elements. Expand
  72. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a fantastic RPG, filled with memorable locations, characters, and great writing. There several ways to play the game, who to side with, and how that affects the outcome of your actions.

Best Obsidian game yet.
  73. Mar 30, 2012
    The atmospheric post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout New Vegas has seen me rack up 150 hours of gameplay and I'm still nowhere near the end. The graphics are nothing great but OK, but that's not why we play this kind of thing, right? It's got what you'd expect from an Action/RPG - quests galore, skills and attributes, companions, a sprawling game world - but without the hackneyedThe atmospheric post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout New Vegas has seen me rack up 150 hours of gameplay and I'm still nowhere near the end. The graphics are nothing great but OK, but that's not why we play this kind of thing, right? It's got what you'd expect from an Action/RPG - quests galore, skills and attributes, companions, a sprawling game world - but without the hackneyed medieval/Tolkein setting, which is a nice change. I really like the music on the radio too, although it gets somewhat repetitive after a while (too few tracks). Great fun to play and well worth the 20 smackeroos I paid for it. Expand
  74. Apr 3, 2012
    Not sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplayNot sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplay elements, such as the Companion Wheel (makes it easier to interact with Followers), "iron sights" for aiming weapons, more organized factions and the Reputation system (represents the player's relationship with factions in the game), reloading benches (for crafting ammo), a **** of new weapons, a reorganization of Skill types (Big Guns skill is dropped, Survival skill, which affects food and clothing recipes and their benefits, is introduced), and Skill level requirements for weapons. Like the post-apocalypse Washington D.C. area in Fallout 3, there are real-world locations in the Nevada/Mojave region. My overall suggestion for this game: Play it, but make sure you've played through Fallout 3 first. Expand
  75. Apr 9, 2012
    This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

Bethesda may make a decent engine. Good-looking and full-of-holes. But they absolutely suck at storylines. Fallout 3 and Skyrim fail to captivate my imagination. The quests are boring, the story is mostly boring, only the background and concept is any decent -- something you should expect from engine designers. The glitches are numerous and there is an obvious lack-of-polish. However, relatively speaking, if Fallout 3 deserves a 91; this game certainly deserves a 100.
  76. Apr 19, 2012
    one of the best games ever if it wernet for the bugs it be perfect its not about the shootings its more about how you want to play its like your world recommend for evreyone to play
  77. Apr 28, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles,Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles, maps, weapons, armour and companions just made this game perfect except for one thing, hardcore mode. The reason I can't rate this game 10 is because of hardore mode, sure you don't have to play it in hardcore mode (yet there is a achievement or trophy for beating the game on it) but playing hardcore mode is ridiculous where dehydration and starving is a problem yet almost everything will give you radiation poisoning, ammo counts as weight which is stupid, armor and weapons break down faster which is a recreation of Dead Island, etc. But this game is definitly a top 10 in my list for being a very cool realistic game where if you're bored with funny games, put this game in your pc or xbox or ps3 and get ready to actually die. Expand
  78. Aug 2, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. I have 14 hours in this game in two days. TWO DAYS. I have never played any video game so much. I've never really bought other RPG games for PC but this completely wowed me. This game is so fun and you will just lose track of time in the real world. The only real problem i have is the bugs in the game which really take away from the whole experience.
  79. Aug 25, 2012
    I'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house perI'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house per town) Fun mini-games of caravan (card game) and casino games. Had and still have fun playing this great game. Expand
  80. Sep 28, 2012
    its all about the first fallout game you play. if you play fallout 3 first than you'd like it better, if you played new vegas first like i did you'd love it more. over all YOU MUST PLAY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE MASTER PEACES!!
  81. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game by the makers of fallout 1 and 2.
    Lots of atmosphere.
    It is has a better crafting system then fallout 3 and is darker.
    There are no real good guys.
    Because war, war never changes.
    Great writing although some of the dialogue has to much exposition.
  82. May 13, 2013
    A Solid follow up to Fallout 3 however due to such a similar feeling and setting the game really fails to quite re-create that feeling when first playing Fallout 3.
  83. Dec 28, 2012
    Fallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interestingFallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interesting characters - woulnd't trade it for anything, well, maybe except for Fallout 4! Expand
  84. Oct 1, 2014
    I have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves youI have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves you with a less rich experience than the others, but when all's said and done, I've put over 200 hours into this game and am still entertained by it.

New Vegas just feels like what 'Fallout 3' was supposed to be, story and gameplay-wise. The team that worked on it had developers that worked on the original series and the cancelled sequel code named 'Van Buren' and contains story elements from it and the continuity of Fallout 2. The story is set out in front of you, and it's entirely up to you how you want to carry it forward. The gameplay mechanics from F3 carry over with some small and large tweaks, and some of them are made obsolete by new systems.

After the 'vanilla' game is starting to get stale, there are countless modifications players have made to make gameplay or visual changes or completely overhaul the game to make a 'call of duty' style shooter, or a RTS style field commander game, or even a fully loaded casino simulator. If you are a shooter or rpg fan make sure you pick this up, you can find it on steam for as low as $5, so keep an eye out.

To recap, it's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and get lost in the wasteland.
  85. Aug 1, 2014
    Ah, Fallout: New Vegas. The first Fallout game I've played, and a nice introduction as well. Fallout: New Vegas has that.... Bethesda feel. You know, the same little details that are in most Bethesda games. Big, open world, tons of quests and side quests, a large selection of weapons, mods (if you own it on PC), and a whole lot more.

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of bugs and glitches. Some of them may crash your game, or cause some weird graphical errors, but that's fine. It's the game breaking bugs that you gotta worry about. These usually happen when you don't install a mod right, and can seriously break your game where you can't play it. Like, you REALLY can't play it. Uninstalling it won't work (in most cases) and sometimes you may even spend hundreds of dollars just re-buying the game.

Game breaking bugs aside, Fallout: New Vegas is definitely worth your money.
  86. Apr 21, 2015
    I think FNV is the best of all the "new" Fallouts. It's deep, open ended, has a few endings, lots of stuff to find and explore, and many different interesting characters to deal/talk with.

It is one of the best games that came out since the year 2000 (Everything in the game is at the very least good). Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should

Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should buy this one, or at the very least try it somehow.

I strongly recommend buying this one... especially at the low steam price. :)
  87. Apr 1, 2015
    This is one of my fauvorite games . It is already 5 years old, but this game is still good now as it was then . I highly recommend - this game is a all-time classic . I will be playiung it also in 5 years again . Unbelievable atmospere, the same feeling I had when playing Terminator : Future shock 15 or so years ago - the post appocalypse feeling only Bethesda can provide .
  88. Feb 15, 2015
    I loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. TheI loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. The wide-open (not linear) world gives you a great sense of freedom and choices of how to play. There are so many crazy/fun characters. After five years, New Vegas feels like a chapter from my life ("remember a few years ago when you spent a few months in New Vegas making all those cool friends, killing all those bad guys, and saving everyone from Caesar's Legion?"). It's like a vacation spot I can't wait to return to. So I often do. Expand
  89. Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite game ever! It has amazing characters, amazing writing and Its really cheap at the moment. Its and improvement on its predecessor in many ways. I've played this game for 130+ hours and the modding community just keeps adding more to my playtime. I really do adore this game.

P.S Don't listen to HardcoreGamer27 his review makes no sense hes probably just a troll.
  90. Mar 24, 2015
    To most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better thanTo most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better than Fallout 3 with current patches. So lets get on to the game it self. Like any self respecting Fallout title your character, the Courier in this case, starts with a fairly simple main task. This time the main task is getting revenge. From there the story expands and if you play your cards right you might just save the world.

The good: The tweaks Obsidian gave the Gamebryo engine make this game look far more polished than Fallout 3 and makes things feel a bit more real. The characters in this game are much more colorful than 3's were and rival the characters of Fallout and Fallout 2. This game was worked on by a lot of old hands from Black Isle who developed the first two games, as a result the humor is back, in a very big way if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait. The game recaptures that desolate desert feeling of the originals and the open feeling they gave you. The music, especially on the radio is fantastic and really shapes up the atmosphere. Though I failed to mention it in my Fallout 3 review Fallout 3 does have that same feeling. On the subject of sound the voice talent is again top notch like all Fallout games. Ron Perlman returns yet again a s our Narrator, Michael Dorn returns as the Super Mutant Marcus, Wayne Newton graces our radios as Mr. New Vegas. Not to mention other huge stars and great voice actors who lend their voices in this game. With the most current patches the game feels solid and tight. Along with the Main game the DLC adds hours of fun to the game. Again having the PC version is paramount due to the mod-friendliness of the game, and again we get the GECK to make our own mods when the creativity bug bites. The mods are doubly important as they can extend the games life several times past the main play throughs of the game. Also like Fallout 3 this game rewards exploration, and if you can see it in the distance, chances are you can go there. The best part in my opinion is the return of the Super Mutants and Nightkin from the Miraposa Military Base/Masters Army. It's nice to have some intelligent Super Mutants wandering around rather than the dumb as dirt ones from Fallout 3. Possibly the best part is that this game more fully embraces the Lore of Fallout and adds back in a lot of the sleaze factor that made the originals so desolately charming. There are also some nods to the originals, though Fallout 3 had them there were fewer there than here, and they felt less sincere than this time. One last thing here, if you pick energy weapons as a tag skill to start, you get an energy weapon to start with, finally we're not punished for liking laser guns!

The bad: Still no usable vehicles or mounts... Still that matters a lot less than it did in Fallout 3 due to better spacing of towns and outposts in which to resupply. We still didn't get back the vault doors of the originals which is somewhat disappointing. Some bugs still crop up with the newest patches, but I've yet to run into any game breakers. The path feels a bit linear compared to previous titles even the third instalment, still there are plenty of reasons to back track which makes it all worth while. The lack of intelligent Deathclaws and those nasty Wanamingos from Fallout 2 feel like a sorely missed opportunity.
    That damned companion limit of 2. Really please bring back the Charisma based companion limit. The final note on the bad: This game was made by Obsidian, and it feels like it. By that I mean it feels like there's a little bit missing, this is because there is a little bit missing. As with almost every Obsidian game a few things that really leave a gap when cut, were cut. This is almost always due to deadlines with Obsidian, and not for artistic reasons like exhibited by Black Isle. This is also why the game need as many patches as it received.

Other thoughts: V.A.T.S. still feels useless in a real time game, but it's still very entertaining to kill enemies with it. Obsidian contains a lot of old hands from Black Isle Studio who made the original games.

Final thoughts: This really does seem like the game Fallout 3 should have been. It stands shoulder to shoulder with Fallout and Fallout 2 and a bit taller than 3. It captures the feeling and spirit of the originals, while elevating that to the first person arena. Proving that some games can make the leap to 3D. It's an excellent addition to the Fallout universe, an excellent RPG, and an excellent game that all RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans should have in their library.
  91. Nov 1, 2010
    The problem with F:NV isn't that there's not enough "new", there's plenty. The problem is that it's just not as polished as the original, at least where the PC version is concerned. It seems strange to me that I was able to run the original on full settings without a hiccup out of the box on older hardware, while this version never ceased to give me difficulties (on new hardware),The problem with F:NV isn't that there's not enough "new", there's plenty. The problem is that it's just not as polished as the original, at least where the PC version is concerned. It seems strange to me that I was able to run the original on full settings without a hiccup out of the box on older hardware, while this version never ceased to give me difficulties (on new hardware), exacerbated by having to exit out of the game entirely in order to tweak settings. The game play itself hasn't really changed (the new companion option is pretty sweet, but nothing really dramatic), and the story and quests are both phenomenal, so if you liked the last installment, you owe it to yourself to at least give this one a chance. Just be warned that as far as the PC goes, this one is a much rougher model than the last. Hopefully it'll be fixed up in a patch or two. Expand
  92. Feb 22, 2011
    Sadly, this game doesn't introduce anything new. It's just basically more Fallout 3, except with a few annoying features. For exapmle, you can't see anything in detail past 50 yards away from you. This gets annoying when you're being shot at from long range, and you can't see your enemies unless you get closer to them. The graphics are the same. The only differences are the story, theSadly, this game doesn't introduce anything new. It's just basically more Fallout 3, except with a few annoying features. For exapmle, you can't see anything in detail past 50 yards away from you. This gets annoying when you're being shot at from long range, and you can't see your enemies unless you get closer to them. The graphics are the same. The only differences are the story, the location, the people, and a few new enemies and weapons. I would recommend this to people, but the fallout 3 fans might be offended. Expand
  93. May 12, 2012
    If you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on someIf you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on some irrelevant side mission. I love the stress-free freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it.

The game left me in awe as to how intricate virtual worlds like this can be experienced in such stunning detail--definitely worth spending my time and energy. Its biggest disappointment is the inability to continue character development and exploration once the main quest is finished. You are forced to load an old save...
  94. Dec 1, 2010
    First off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundredFirst off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundred years after the bombs fell. People emerging, forming new empires. And they clash and cause chaos. I will admit that the bugs are a miserable thing to live with. (On the first few days of release) after the patches, its fine. Ive got a 9800 Nvidia GT. graphics card, and an amd anthlon 64 3500+ processor, with 3.5 gigabytes of DDR ONE ram, with 200 mghz speed. Windows 7, I get 45 FPS. (Horrible spec's, but if I can get that, you can too!) Anyway, the game is lovingly funny, just a drab landscape. Gameplay is relatively fun. The kiting just got on my nerves. Dozens of hours worth of playtime, I played fallout 3 for 300 hours, with all DLC. very fun. New vegas however, being a little smaller but with better gameplay mechanics balances out everything that fallout3 had flaws with. Except perhaps the drab environment. (What more can you expect? ITS A NUCLEAR WASTELAND) if you are one for RPG with a bit of time on your hands, I would reccomend this over fallout 3. Dont get me wrong, fallout 3 is also an amazing game, they are both very worth the money. The only thing that pisses me off is the invisible game walls!!!!!!! THEY BLOCK OFF HALF THE MAP. Oh well. Collapse
  95. Mar 10, 2013
    Better world and story than Fallout 3, but still carries over as many glitches and bugs. The day Bethesda can release a bug free game is they day they deserve a 10/10. Which has never happened, ever.
    This game should have been a 10/10. But the lame excuse that your game is too big to fully polish once again gets your game slapped down the few it could have had.
    Your ideas are genious,
    Your ideas are genious, Bethesda. But your follow through is balls.
  96. May 23, 2011
    Just amazing. 200+ hours of content for 19.99 and the best mod community around. IMHO better than Fallout 3. Great gunfights, dialogue and universe.
  97. Dec 24, 2010
    A good game in of itself, but alas, it can't live up to its predecessor. Fallout: New Vegas itself comes off as a sheer ploy in an attempt to spur user interest and the recreation of Vegas itself screams to me that they are trying to spur user interest by shouting "Vegas! Vegas!" rather than offer anything groundbreaking in terms of story. Sure the war between the NCR and the Legion isA good game in of itself, but alas, it can't live up to its predecessor. Fallout: New Vegas itself comes off as a sheer ploy in an attempt to spur user interest and the recreation of Vegas itself screams to me that they are trying to spur user interest by shouting "Vegas! Vegas!" rather than offer anything groundbreaking in terms of story. Sure the war between the NCR and the Legion is rather interesting, and the reputation system is a good little addition, the game just lacks any memorable characters or experiences and just feels like an overly done Fallout 3 DLC. Even though this is my sentiment towards the game, the overall gameplay, doing whatever you want, and just going and shooting something is its saving grace. Not as memorable as Fallout 3, but would be worth it when the price drops. Expand
  98. Jan 6, 2014
    I’ve played and replayed this game many many times. I keep coming back to it purely because people keep raving about it, and I keep thinking, based on that, that there has to be something I’m missing. There has to be some quality in it I’m just not getting. Now I think I can safely judge why people go out of their way to claim that it’s good: They WANT it to be good. They can see that thisI’ve played and replayed this game many many times. I keep coming back to it purely because people keep raving about it, and I keep thinking, based on that, that there has to be something I’m missing. There has to be some quality in it I’m just not getting. Now I think I can safely judge why people go out of their way to claim that it’s good: They WANT it to be good. They can see that this is the shell of a great game. But that is the big problem. It’s just a shell, hollow inside when you look inside.

New Vegas is a complete developmental screwup. Everything that is important to the primary/important content, the factions and New Vegas and the plot, was stupidly deprioritized in favor of stuffing the game with frivolous irrelevant sidequests. It’s hard to process just how bad the content prioritization and presentation is. The making of easily cut content like the Boomers, Thorn, Jacobstown, rocket ghouls, etc, came at the cost of desperately needed faction quests and fleshing out. The entire main questline is padded with these sidequests to stretch it out, only ending up emphasizing how little you connect or get involved with the character and the factions. The Faction “system” is really just deciding which questgiver you want to receive your nearly identical selection of mandatory sidequests from. The reputation system is basically pointless, rarely amounting to anything other then NPC banter.

People claim the writing is great, I found it dull and uninspired. The dialogue options are bland and soulless, clearly designed for a blank slate character and not one with actual personality. NPC quality varys greatly but tend to suffer from directionless voice acting. I’ve heard characters talk about their squadmates being raped in the same tone they use to complain about patrolling the Mojave. Not even kidding. The writing in the DLCs is pretty weak to boot, with Old World Blues actually being surprisingly involving and funny to boot while Lonesome Road may have the most incompetent, full of crap, and definitionally pretentious writing I’ve even seen in a RPG, outside of a Mass Effect sequel. Pains me to think one of Planescape:Torment’s writers was involved in that dreck.

The world map is awfully designed, offering no incentive to explore what is ultimately a linear doughnut dotted with invisible walls, uninteresting and unrewarding locations, NO random encounters, and amateurly placed blatant progression Many things that worked fine in the previous game, like the radio and VATS, were and still are broken and glitchy. While I liked how there were more skill/stat checks, most of the other added features like ammo types (which were bugged at launch. Pretty sure they were bugged in the first two Fallouts too. How do you not learn how to program that in twenty years?) are easily forgotten. And I don’t think I need to bring out how buggy it is. Suffice to say the public had made it clear that it is utter unacceptable to ship a game with this amount of game-breaking and save-wiping glitches.

The sad thing is that it’s clear that this game could have been good, even great, if it had been developed properly. And it’s even sadder that people feel the need to overrate it based on the standard of games this developer made twenty years ago, or worse based on what the game COULD have been like rather then what it IS. It doesn’t hold up to other RPGs. It doesn’t even hold up to other Obsidian games. New Vegas is, sadly, a weak unfulfilling game and a weak unfulfilling RPG.
  99. Oct 28, 2010
    Its a decent game, not as good as fallout 3

HOWEVER to all of you bashing Bethesda for this, you are wrong to do so. Reason being? BETHESDA DID NOT MAKE THIS GAME OBSIDIAN DID.
  100. Jan 9, 2011
    Fallout new Vegas works for some people more than it does for others. Less so for me. The mojave technically has as many things in it as the Capital wasteland, but they seem less interesting. Quests although there are more of them, can be pointlessly short, unlike in Fallout 3. Equally, people will point to its four different endings as giving the player great freedom, but actually theyFallout new Vegas works for some people more than it does for others. Less so for me. The mojave technically has as many things in it as the Capital wasteland, but they seem less interesting. Quests although there are more of them, can be pointlessly short, unlike in Fallout 3. Equally, people will point to its four different endings as giving the player great freedom, but actually they all boil down to much the same thing, especially as you don't get to carry on the game after you finish the main quest and there isn't yet DLC to change this. The urban environment of Fallout 3 also works better, seems to communicate better the post-apocalyptic vision. Having said that, there are good additions to new vegas such as the faction system, better voice acting, etc. It is still a very good game, with a good story, good character, graphics, etc. Most criticisms that can be made of it, asides from the ridiculous number of bugs, only tell us that fallout new vegas is not quite as great as Fallout 3. Expand
  101. Dec 1, 2010

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.