Fallout: New Vegas PC

8.4

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2096 Ratings

1. Dec 24, 2010
    I was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seemI was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seem huge compared to the Capital wastes, with an abundance of familiar settings and a huge array of side quests. I was a little disappointed with the New Vegas Strip; I felt it could have been bigger with a lot more to see and do. A big plus is the companion wheel; this makes managing your companions much easier.

In summary, If you loved Fallout 3 then you'll love this game. I you didn't play Fallout 3 but are willing to work through this game's bugs, then I am sure that you'll learn to love it.
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  3. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionallyObsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  4. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running intoI'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. IFirst let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  7. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  8. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if youI thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE playerBethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  10. Feb 6, 2013
    I don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: RecommendedI don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: Recommended to everyone who likes the world of Fallout. Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but keptFirst, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  12. May 24, 2011
    It takes what Fallout 3 did so well and turns it up to 11. A larger map, better combat and more weapons, and a huge array of quests and factions await you in Fallout: New Vegas. Anyone who enjoyed Fallout 3 should pick this game up now. The engine is starting to show its age though, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this a higher score.
  13. May 10, 2012
    This is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. CombatThis is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. Combat is identical to Fallout 3 and it uses the same formula.
  14. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  15. Apr 26, 2011
    Kick a** period.
    Ya well i'd rather play an awesome game that is so involved it had a few bugs then a mediocr game that ran great.
    People say " It more of Fallout 3" like thats a bad thing.. ya it plays closely the same but the depth of the quests / land/ NPC's you name it is all done really well. If you liked 3 your gonna love this. Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82
    Kick a** period.
    If you liked 3 your gonna love this.
    Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82 and played the entire Fallout series and grown/changed with it and loved its progression all the way. 10/10 in my book. But5 i dont whine and moan over a few patches being needed for a monster size game that has such a massive way for each player to progress through.. you could not have possibly Beta tested this and caught it all. where i work we have a CND "cannot duplicate" code for things we had never seen and could not repeat but other people could.. big deal.. you guys support your work and make corrections what the hell else are you suppose to do. Thanks for making this KA game.
  16. Mar 8, 2012
    Posting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCsPosting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCs which look artificial. IMO the performance is subpar compared to other games with better graphics like the Crysis 2. You see slowdowns to 40fps and you do not know what causes it. Sometimes the terrain loading into memory is buggy. Overall doesn`t look very good, just ok.==============Gameplay is largely the same as in F3, but in F:NV has been enriched plenty. The crafting got a big boost. You can now make anything given if you have the right skills and ingredients. You can make many food, ammo, weapon,explosives, armor options. There has been a lot of weapons added, lots of them are very cool, with many available upgrades which actually change how they feel and play. Iron sight has been added, so the game crosshair is not needed anymore.There is so much of the stuff to gather that it is hard to grasp. The weapon and armor balance has been reworked, so now you can dispatch a heavily armored opponent with AP ammo fairly easily, while HP ammo is to be used on animals. There are up to four variants of ammo for almost every weapon available which is very impressive and enriches the gameplay tenfold.=============STORY. It is cool, not much better from F3 but ok I guess. You can now choose a fraction to ally with, but you can go on with yourself freely if you choose to do so. It is up to you. You have a few of important story variants. The quests are mostly interesting, not only kill or talk. Ther are many interesting locations, with interesting logs to hear and read. IMO the mood of the game is still succesfully postnuclear. Summing it up, playing doesn`t get boring , there is much incentive to keep going, exploring. The combat system in this game is still shallow to be honest.============DLCs are well worth the price and time spent. It gets stale at times, but the story of each dlc progresses at the right moment to keep being interesting. IMO the Honest Hearts dlc is by far the worst one but still ok.===========MUSIC is the same as in Fallout 2 wih some new tunes. To be honest I liked the idea because people added old F2 tunes to the game by themselves anyway.The melodies never get old and pose a great addition to the story. However, the radio from Pipboy is inferior to this from F3. ======OVERALL verdict - upgraded Fallout 3. Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2012
    Underrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very differentUnderrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very different beast inside a familiar skin.

And yes, this game is very buggy. Moreso than skrim, oblivion, and fallout 3. However I had far too much immersion fun and memorable moments to let the crashes and glitches affect my play. Some people ditch a game when it locks up on them a few times. They have every right to have that stance, however that's the price you pay. And it's a price that reduces the score from 10/10 to 9/10. So not that much of a price.
  18. Apr 23, 2011
    Good all around game. I even have to play it on low settings at the moment until i get my new graphics card, but even at low settings it is a great game!
  19. Jul 22, 2011
    Alongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack andAlongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack and Hardcore Mode made me feel I was playing the original games again, enter severe nostalgia. I found F:NV incredibly hard to put down, absorbing and so bloody addictive (142 hours currently logged on Steam). Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2012
    The game lacks some of the iconic set pieces of FO3, but in every other way surpasses the original. This includes the four DLC, which combine to form their own unique, compelling story. Be sure to purchase the GOTY edition for the full experience. Props to Obsidian and props to Bethesda for handing the reins back to the franchise's creators.

It would get full marks alone for the

It would get full marks alone for the merciful lack of metro tunnels.
  21. Apr 30, 2012
    48 hours in and my interest is waning. I have all the DLC and feel like it will never be over, so I stopped. Too much content is not normally a problem but in this case it doesn't compel me to continue. The game is definately worth a play, don't get me wrong. 48 hours is a fair investment for a busy person. The weapons are interesting and some of the storylines are great. The vista is48 hours in and my interest is waning. I have all the DLC and feel like it will never be over, so I stopped. Too much content is not normally a problem but in this case it doesn't compel me to continue. The game is definately worth a play, don't get me wrong. 48 hours is a fair investment for a busy person. The weapons are interesting and some of the storylines are great. The vista is stunning in some areas and overall it was a great experience. Definately an 8, if you have the time. Expand
  22. May 21, 2012
    I'd say it's a good game. Lots to do, lots to decide. I just hope they/someone would make a new one of these "Wasteland" Post-nuclear war games with lots of stuff to do and a good in-game engine and performance in general.

Good game nevertheless.
  23. Jun 18, 2012
    The sequel to Fallout 2 I´ve been waiting for over a decade. It has taken 140 hours of my life. The interaction between factions, the meaningful characters, the improved dialog system, the way it really allows for different styles of play, makes it a brilliant game. An experience, more than a game.
  24. Jun 23, 2012
    If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types,If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types, companion interaction (which is a big part of this game), mini-games and faction system. There's the new Hardcore Mode too, on which you will feel a more realistic scenario, being subjected to thirst, starvation and sleep deprivation and some other changes making you more of a survivor and less of a killing machine.

Unfortunately the game is pretty straightforward, with no possibility to continue after the last battle, coupled with the lack of memorable landmarks, makes New Vegas a bit subpar for Fallout 3 fans. The plot could be a bit more ambitious too, with more emphasis on morally subjective quests and choices.

PS: The DLCs are a must. Each one has a particular theme and new possibilities.
  25. Jan 4, 2015
    Great game. I don't like it more than I like Fo3, or even as much, but I do like it.

The only big letdown really was the Vegas Strip itself. I remember feeling, "So that's it?" when I first reached it upon release. Needing a high amount of Caps just to get into a small 2-instanced area was.... I dunno, but I'm surprised more people aren't peeved at how weak the gem of the game actually felt. Also, choosing who gets control over it (Ceaser, House, You) offers very littler difference. If you choose yourself, you will not notice anything particularly special about "owning" the Strip. No incentives/bonuses, you still have to check your weapons at the casino's, etc.

The voice acting is another thing I'd like to reflect on. Fallout 3's was pretty consistent, but NV's is a mixed bag. VA's like Laura Bailey deliver their lines effectively enough, but others, like Chanadler Bong's (Matthew Perry) feel rushed and phoned in.

One other thing- the writing. I've seen people say, "I like NV better because the writing was better". Huh? I'm not saying FO3's was better, but I'm saying it's pretty much the same in both games. There are actual deep missions in FO3, same as NV. One does not seem better than the other to me.

Other than that, it's everything you loved about FO3- but more, more or less. More ammo, perks, quests than FO3. The only other gripe I have is the map- it's kind of small and barren. In FO3, you have towns and metro systems. In NV, you have the Strip, some military camps, some refugee camps, and a few (small) towns. I found NV to mostly be sand, whereas in FO3 you have towns and the Capitol Hill to traipse through.

All in all, I'd recommend both titles played in no particular order, as they both offer a great Fallout experience, even if each a little varied.
  26. Apr 15, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and whiteFallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and white hero/villain simply following a bread crumb trail. As much as I loved Fallout 3, this is what the original Fallout creators wanted to see happen to the IP.

PS: Even though this game is still bringing money into Bethesda's pockets 5 years later, Obsidian was denied a bonus because of the initial review scores posted on this website. They needed to score an 85 on here and scored an 84. If every reviewer did an ultimate edition review it would almost certainly break 85 or even 90 metascore. Obsidian developers, and those laid off after the project, should get compensation. If this industry wasn't so ass backwards.
  27. Jan 14, 2011
    Maybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with HardcoreMaybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with Hardcore mode (the only way to play) and a Western theme. Despite my frustrations inside, love it. Also wish creatures would not respawn all the time (even mods didn't seem to stop it). Oh and get the RACE mod and the song packs - Bethesda's radio was a cute idea (again) but they need the 1-200 extra songs modders put in for them. Expand
  28. Nov 27, 2010
    Fallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem toFallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem to get stuck on the most minor map obstacles and chase the enemy even when you ask them to stay put. If you never tried Fallout 3, then get this one, if you did not like Fallout 3, you will likely not like this game. On the pro side, there is a great story, expansive and open areas to explore, new settings and life forms. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    I absolutely loved fallout 3, and it goes without saying that New Vegas is more of the same treat. It's a different atmosphere than FO3, granted, but it's also a different city with a different set of circumstances.

I enjoyed the expanded equipment roster, the new additions to the rulesets and character creation, and the new options for immersion (such as the semi-realistic thirst and such) The only thing I can honestly say I dislike about New Vegas is the typically poor Bethesda support. The game doesn't work properly right out of the box, crashes a lot, and requires the constant tender ministrations of a devoted fanbase to make it look good and continue running... but if you can get past the technical hurdles and somehow kludge together a stable install, it's a heckuva gaming experience.
  30. Mar 29, 2012
    Great dialogues and characters as well as the option to solve quests in multiple ways involving the use of your character skills. Nothing that cant be fixed by the impressive mod community. Solid purchase of a game that will last you quite awhile.
  31. May 31, 2011
    definitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stasheddefinitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stashed at pile without strong scenario connections between them (no wonder coz it just wasn't really convincing that world after Armageddon could really evolve to this kind of place). Except that it's rather strong game but if you would like to describe it precisely it's rather Oblivion based at first Fallout's than Fallout's sequel with Oblivion engine. Expand
  32. Jun 24, 2011
    Not since the original Baldur's Gate has a CRPG combined a strong storyline with free-form exploration so well. Beautifully realised setting, loads of things to find, four different endings and "Yes Man" -- one of the best characters in a CRPG. I wish I had time to play this again! Make sure you install the patches; the release build was pretty buggy.
  33. Aug 18, 2012
    [First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually[First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually unchanged save for new weapons and iron sight aiming and the quests are as fun as ever. The most significant difference is the reputation system which dictates how different factions and settlements will react to you. For example, doing favours for someone will increase your reputation with that settlement or doing vice versa will degrade your reputation. The system does produce interesting scenarios from a role-playing perspective but it means little to me as I'm more interested in the world and the quests. The game has a more distinct vibe to it than Fallout 3 despite the main story being uninteresting in comparison, the colourful Vegas looks quite spectacular from a distance. So from a first-impressions viewpoint, I like New Vegas. It still has plenty of interesting quests and I'll no doubt enjoy what the reputation system can offer but for some reason I can't get that interested in the setting. Expand
  34. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New Vegas is just a stellar improvement on the FO3 formula. The new lands to explore (And conquer for some of us) are a fresh start, though the mostly vault-less land feels a little different than your usual Fallout romp. Still crossing the wastes of Nevada and fighting everything from Powder Gangers to Giant Rad Scorpions to Deathclaws is a blast. The story you follow of the errand boy of Nevada gone wrong is intriguing and leads you through some interesting areas to learn of what happened, and exact revenge on someone who wronged you. The DLC that has come out for the game has been pretty fun. I have the GOTY edition from Steam with all the DLC packs and I've gotta say Old World Blues was a helluva good time. The writing in that DLC pack more than makes up for any frustrating pieces. I love the Fallout Universe and it's always fun to go back and pick it up again and play things out in a different way or order than you did before. Great fun :) Expand
  35. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played the first fallouts, so I was always wondering why so many users didn't like fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot.
    After playing NV however I realized why so many people hated F3. It was more a shooter than a RPG game like the first 2 ones.
    NV really made me to immerse with the world, with the politics, with the factions. My choices influenced the events, how the factions react toward me, what I can speak with someone or what I can not. I really enjoyed that I do really play a role in the game's world, that my actions really influence things around the world.

I could even give a 10, but some bugs here and there and graphical glitches really stop me from doing that.
  36. Jan 7, 2012
    The game is a master piece, another master piece from Bethesda Game Studios.I sold this game, but today I'm going to get it again...
    The radios are good but could be better, the game-play is the same has Fallout 3, EPIC, vast world to investigate, 3 endings.
    Has many weapons to choose from, suits to wear and you can even created your own character. If you are a great Fallout fan you
    If you are a great Fallout fan you probably already have this game, but if you're new to the series you should start with this one.
  37. Dec 26, 2011
    In my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dontIn my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dont have to use VATS to win, like in fallout 3, if you like aiming with guns, use the ironsights, makes it more fun, and even feels better to play with, instead of pausing the game every 2 seconds to aim at some guy trying to kill you, you can just aim at him and let it rip. then you get the DLC...4 of them, all with a great story, that all tie together in a little way with the original game, bethesda...i take my hat off to you, Great job. Expand
  38. Dec 31, 2011
    I think obsidian is the top rpg creator game in our days. New vegas is deep, is dark and have a very nice story and a world open to explore. Very nice work, very nice game
  39. Jan 17, 2012
    Huge open world, much better than the original Fallout 3 in my opinion. The amount of mods available for this game is staggering, from graphical enhancements, to huge content packs. You could easily lose >50 hours in this game.
  40. Jan 10, 2012
    Although i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. IAlthough i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. I had no problems personally running this game although it has crashed on me twice in the 40 hours that have been played. If you like rpg's or Couldn't get enough of Fallout 3 you should buy this game. Expand
  41. Mar 3, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with F3 since for me it lacked the soul of the earlier Fallout games. In F:NV the world feels lot more like Fallout 2 and even the story is kind of continuation from that. This game is must buy for Fallout fans.
  42. Feb 28, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The reason I scored this at 8 rating because it has often lot of problems such as loading took long but really never take to game. It turn out glitches cause it but it really worth to play.
  43. Oct 15, 2012
    Obsidian took Fallout 3 and learned from previous mistakes and really improved the game play and the story.

And they returned fallout to it roots with a lot of very "Fallout" tongue in cheek humor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3. Just the options provided by the modding community alone should give this game a 90+ rating. They really

I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3.

They really improved on what they provided for Fallout 3.

I still fire it up to play just to try out the new mods.
  44. Jan 1, 2013
    This is a 10/10 game while at first there were numerous bugs that would bring this to an 8 they have been corrected a long time ago. Personally The DLC is hit and miss but you can get it all for 20 bucks do not miss this game if you are a fallout fan.
  45. Mar 14, 2012
    Best game ever. Made me go buy Fallout 3 which showed me how wise they were in New Vegas to decrease the popcap minefields that they called the 'game map'. Only bad part about this game is that it ends - but its an amazing ride.
  46. Mar 15, 2012
    It started out with a few bugs but nothing they haven't fixed with patches or to game crushing. This game is awesome any true fallout or ES fan should buy and play.
  47. Mar 15, 2012
    Most depressing game world ever, and yet so full of life I want to live in it. This games adds to what makes Bethesda one of the best. I can never put their games down.
  48. Mar 15, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game, great characters and the continued great game-play of FO3. Few games really make me feel like I'm in a living breathing world as Fallout New Vegas has.
  49. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. thou shalt get that bonus huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue Expand
  50. Mar 15, 2012
    I am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmedI am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmed with the depressive nature of previous installments. It is alive and enjoyable. Expand
  51. Mar 15, 2012
    Great game with a decent difficulty curve. enjoyable atmosphere with many wonderful DLC expansions. the missions are kinda bland at times but overall great
  52. Mar 15, 2012
    Très bon jeu.. Bien meilleur que Fallout 3. L'esprit se rapproche fortement de Fallout et Fallout 2.
    La liberté d'action est très développée et nous permet de faire des choix moraux douteux, ou au contraire preux.
    A conseiller vivement pour ceux qui ne 'lont pas encore fait !
  53. Mar 17, 2012
    I was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you putI was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you put off by the initially buggy experience, I assure you that the game has been patched since then and the DLC only goes to show what great support Obsidian has provided for this game. Mod support is fantastic as well for those of you that care. Expand
  54. Mar 17, 2012
    A fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humorA fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humor is revived here, as well. Fantastic! Expand
  55. May 24, 2012
    Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new,Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new, and unlike Fallout 3's added features they are not dumbing down the game. Game is still somehow limited given the engine and the fact that it's multiplatform. Fallout New Vegas is something Fallout 3 should be. A game worthy it's predecessors name. Expand
  56. Mar 25, 2012
    Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me.Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me. However I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who loves open worlds, shooters, with rpg elements. Expand
  57. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a fantastic RPG, filled with memorable locations, characters, and great writing. There several ways to play the game, who to side with, and how that affects the outcome of your actions.

Best Obsidian game yet.
  58. Mar 30, 2012
    The atmospheric post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout New Vegas has seen me rack up 150 hours of gameplay and I'm still nowhere near the end. The graphics are nothing great but OK, but that's not why we play this kind of thing, right? It's got what you'd expect from an Action/RPG - quests galore, skills and attributes, companions, a sprawling game world - but without the hackneyedThe atmospheric post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout New Vegas has seen me rack up 150 hours of gameplay and I'm still nowhere near the end. The graphics are nothing great but OK, but that's not why we play this kind of thing, right? It's got what you'd expect from an Action/RPG - quests galore, skills and attributes, companions, a sprawling game world - but without the hackneyed medieval/Tolkein setting, which is a nice change. I really like the music on the radio too, although it gets somewhat repetitive after a while (too few tracks). Great fun to play and well worth the 20 smackeroos I paid for it. Expand
  59. Apr 3, 2012
    Not sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplayNot sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplay elements, such as the Companion Wheel (makes it easier to interact with Followers), "iron sights" for aiming weapons, more organized factions and the Reputation system (represents the player's relationship with factions in the game), reloading benches (for crafting ammo), a **** of new weapons, a reorganization of Skill types (Big Guns skill is dropped, Survival skill, which affects food and clothing recipes and their benefits, is introduced), and Skill level requirements for weapons. Like the post-apocalypse Washington D.C. area in Fallout 3, there are real-world locations in the Nevada/Mojave region. My overall suggestion for this game: Play it, but make sure you've played through Fallout 3 first. Expand
  60. Apr 9, 2012
    This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

Bethesda may make a decent engine. Good-looking and full-of-holes. But they absolutely suck at storylines. Fallout 3 and Skyrim fail to captivate my imagination. The quests are boring, the story is mostly boring, only the background and concept is any decent -- something you should expect from engine designers. The glitches are numerous and there is an obvious lack-of-polish. However, relatively speaking, if Fallout 3 deserves a 91; this game certainly deserves a 100.
  61. Apr 19, 2012
    one of the best games ever if it wernet for the bugs it be perfect its not about the shootings its more about how you want to play its like your world recommend for evreyone to play
  62. Apr 28, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles,Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles, maps, weapons, armour and companions just made this game perfect except for one thing, hardcore mode. The reason I can't rate this game 10 is because of hardore mode, sure you don't have to play it in hardcore mode (yet there is a achievement or trophy for beating the game on it) but playing hardcore mode is ridiculous where dehydration and starving is a problem yet almost everything will give you radiation poisoning, ammo counts as weight which is stupid, armor and weapons break down faster which is a recreation of Dead Island, etc. But this game is definitly a top 10 in my list for being a very cool realistic game where if you're bored with funny games, put this game in your pc or xbox or ps3 and get ready to actually die. Expand
  63. Aug 2, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. I have 14 hours in this game in two days. TWO DAYS. I have never played any video game so much. I've never really bought other RPG games for PC but this completely wowed me. This game is so fun and you will just lose track of time in the real world. The only real problem i have is the bugs in the game which really take away from the whole experience.
  64. Aug 25, 2012
    I'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house perI'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house per town) Fun mini-games of caravan (card game) and casino games. Had and still have fun playing this great game. Expand
  65. Sep 28, 2012
    its all about the first fallout game you play. if you play fallout 3 first than you'd like it better, if you played new vegas first like i did you'd love it more. over all YOU MUST PLAY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE MASTER PEACES!!
  66. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game by the makers of fallout 1 and 2.
    Lots of atmosphere.
    It is has a better crafting system then fallout 3 and is darker.
    There are no real good guys.
    Because war, war never changes.
    Great writing although some of the dialogue has to much exposition.
  67. Dec 28, 2012
    Fallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interestingFallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interesting characters - woulnd't trade it for anything, well, maybe except for Fallout 4! Expand
  68. Oct 1, 2014
    I have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves youI have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves you with a less rich experience than the others, but when all's said and done, I've put over 200 hours into this game and am still entertained by it.

New Vegas just feels like what 'Fallout 3' was supposed to be, story and gameplay-wise. The team that worked on it had developers that worked on the original series and the cancelled sequel code named 'Van Buren' and contains story elements from it and the continuity of Fallout 2. The story is set out in front of you, and it's entirely up to you how you want to carry it forward. The gameplay mechanics from F3 carry over with some small and large tweaks, and some of them are made obsolete by new systems.

After the 'vanilla' game is starting to get stale, there are countless modifications players have made to make gameplay or visual changes or completely overhaul the game to make a 'call of duty' style shooter, or a RTS style field commander game, or even a fully loaded casino simulator. If you are a shooter or rpg fan make sure you pick this up, you can find it on steam for as low as $5, so keep an eye out.

To recap, it's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and get lost in the wasteland.
  69. Aug 1, 2014
    Ah, Fallout: New Vegas. The first Fallout game I've played, and a nice introduction as well. Fallout: New Vegas has that.... Bethesda feel. You know, the same little details that are in most Bethesda games. Big, open world, tons of quests and side quests, a large selection of weapons, mods (if you own it on PC), and a whole lot more.

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of bugs and glitches. Some of them may crash your game, or cause some weird graphical errors, but that's fine. It's the game breaking bugs that you gotta worry about. These usually happen when you don't install a mod right, and can seriously break your game where you can't play it. Like, you REALLY can't play it. Uninstalling it won't work (in most cases) and sometimes you may even spend hundreds of dollars just re-buying the game.

Game breaking bugs aside, Fallout: New Vegas is definitely worth your money.
  70. Apr 21, 2015
    I think FNV is the best of all the "new" Fallouts. It's deep, open ended, has a few endings, lots of stuff to find and explore, and many different interesting characters to deal/talk with.

It is one of the best games that came out since the year 2000 (Everything in the game is at the very least good). Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should

Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should buy this one, or at the very least try it somehow.

I strongly recommend buying this one... especially at the low steam price. :)
  71. Apr 1, 2015
    This is one of my fauvorite games . It is already 5 years old, but this game is still good now as it was then . I highly recommend - this game is a all-time classic . I will be playiung it also in 5 years again . Unbelievable atmospere, the same feeling I had when playing Terminator : Future shock 15 or so years ago - the post appocalypse feeling only Bethesda can provide .
  72. Aug 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, theI absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, the characters are a lot of fun, the atmosphere is incredible, the sheer amount of possible endings is mind boggling, it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and it features the voice acting talents of Dave Foley in a major role. All in all, it's a great game that I'd put in a Best of All Time list for sure, and I think it'd be just about perfect if they would fix the bugs I encountered. Just make sure you have a lot of time you can spend on this one, it took me nearly 72 hours to get through it, and I didn't even 100% it. I very strongly recommend Fallout New Vegas. Expand
  73. Feb 15, 2015
    I loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. TheI loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. The wide-open (not linear) world gives you a great sense of freedom and choices of how to play. There are so many crazy/fun characters. After five years, New Vegas feels like a chapter from my life ("remember a few years ago when you spent a few months in New Vegas making all those cool friends, killing all those bad guys, and saving everyone from Caesar's Legion?"). It's like a vacation spot I can't wait to return to. So I often do. Expand
  74. Dec 1, 2014
    Great game i loved almost everything in it the political battles between the factions the fact that every small thing you do affect the ending the variety of companions each with his own perks and personality
    The weapons anda armor are super cool and the well done and interesting quests
    The things I dislike are the bugs and that there is no improvement to fallout 3
  75. Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite game ever! It has amazing characters, amazing writing and Its really cheap at the moment. Its and improvement on its predecessor in many ways. I've played this game for 130+ hours and the modding community just keeps adding more to my playtime. I really do adore this game.

P.S Don't listen to HardcoreGamer27 his review makes no sense hes probably just a troll.
  76. Mar 24, 2015
    To most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better thanTo most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better than Fallout 3 with current patches. So lets get on to the game it self. Like any self respecting Fallout title your character, the Courier in this case, starts with a fairly simple main task. This time the main task is getting revenge. From there the story expands and if you play your cards right you might just save the world.

The good: The tweaks Obsidian gave the Gamebryo engine make this game look far more polished than Fallout 3 and makes things feel a bit more real. The characters in this game are much more colorful than 3's were and rival the characters of Fallout and Fallout 2. This game was worked on by a lot of old hands from Black Isle who developed the first two games, as a result the humor is back, in a very big way if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait. The game recaptures that desolate desert feeling of the originals and the open feeling they gave you. The music, especially on the radio is fantastic and really shapes up the atmosphere. Though I failed to mention it in my Fallout 3 review Fallout 3 does have that same feeling. On the subject of sound the voice talent is again top notch like all Fallout games. Ron Perlman returns yet again a s our Narrator, Michael Dorn returns as the Super Mutant Marcus, Wayne Newton graces our radios as Mr. New Vegas. Not to mention other huge stars and great voice actors who lend their voices in this game. With the most current patches the game feels solid and tight. Along with the Main game the DLC adds hours of fun to the game. Again having the PC version is paramount due to the mod-friendliness of the game, and again we get the GECK to make our own mods when the creativity bug bites. The mods are doubly important as they can extend the games life several times past the main play throughs of the game. Also like Fallout 3 this game rewards exploration, and if you can see it in the distance, chances are you can go there. The best part in my opinion is the return of the Super Mutants and Nightkin from the Miraposa Military Base/Masters Army. It's nice to have some intelligent Super Mutants wandering around rather than the dumb as dirt ones from Fallout 3. Possibly the best part is that this game more fully embraces the Lore of Fallout and adds back in a lot of the sleaze factor that made the originals so desolately charming. There are also some nods to the originals, though Fallout 3 had them there were fewer there than here, and they felt less sincere than this time. One last thing here, if you pick energy weapons as a tag skill to start, you get an energy weapon to start with, finally we're not punished for liking laser guns!

The bad: Still no usable vehicles or mounts... Still that matters a lot less than it did in Fallout 3 due to better spacing of towns and outposts in which to resupply. We still didn't get back the vault doors of the originals which is somewhat disappointing. Some bugs still crop up with the newest patches, but I've yet to run into any game breakers. The path feels a bit linear compared to previous titles even the third instalment, still there are plenty of reasons to back track which makes it all worth while. The lack of intelligent Deathclaws and those nasty Wanamingos from Fallout 2 feel like a sorely missed opportunity.
    That damned companion limit of 2. Really please bring back the Charisma based companion limit. The final note on the bad: This game was made by Obsidian, and it feels like it. By that I mean it feels like there's a little bit missing, this is because there is a little bit missing. As with almost every Obsidian game a few things that really leave a gap when cut, were cut. This is almost always due to deadlines with Obsidian, and not for artistic reasons like exhibited by Black Isle. This is also why the game need as many patches as it received.

Other thoughts: V.A.T.S. still feels useless in a real time game, but it's still very entertaining to kill enemies with it. Obsidian contains a lot of old hands from Black Isle Studio who made the original games.

Final thoughts: This really does seem like the game Fallout 3 should have been. It stands shoulder to shoulder with Fallout and Fallout 2 and a bit taller than 3. It captures the feeling and spirit of the originals, while elevating that to the first person arena. Proving that some games can make the leap to 3D. It's an excellent addition to the Fallout universe, an excellent RPG, and an excellent game that all RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans should have in their library.
  77. Jun 21, 2015
    Though it was shadowed by fallout 3, I found New Vegas much more appealing. The story may have been a bit bumpy, but the game play, soundtrack, and atmosphere make up for that big time. This is currently not only my favorite game of the previous generation, but second favorite of all time.
  78. May 12, 2012
    If you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on someIf you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on some irrelevant side mission. I love the stress-free freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it.

The game left me in awe as to how intricate virtual worlds like this can be experienced in such stunning detail--definitely worth spending my time and energy. Its biggest disappointment is the inability to continue character development and exploration once the main quest is finished. You are forced to load an old save...
  79. Dec 1, 2010
    First off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundredFirst off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundred years after the bombs fell. People emerging, forming new empires. And they clash and cause chaos. I will admit that the bugs are a miserable thing to live with. (On the first few days of release) after the patches, its fine. Ive got a 9800 Nvidia GT. graphics card, and an amd anthlon 64 3500+ processor, with 3.5 gigabytes of DDR ONE ram, with 200 mghz speed. Windows 7, I get 45 FPS. (Horrible spec's, but if I can get that, you can too!) Anyway, the game is lovingly funny, just a drab landscape. Gameplay is relatively fun. The kiting just got on my nerves. Dozens of hours worth of playtime, I played fallout 3 for 300 hours, with all DLC. very fun. New vegas however, being a little smaller but with better gameplay mechanics balances out everything that fallout3 had flaws with. Except perhaps the drab environment. (What more can you expect? ITS A NUCLEAR WASTELAND) if you are one for RPG with a bit of time on your hands, I would reccomend this over fallout 3. Dont get me wrong, fallout 3 is also an amazing game, they are both very worth the money. The only thing that pisses me off is the invisible game walls!!!!!!! THEY BLOCK OFF HALF THE MAP. Oh well. Expand
  80. Mar 10, 2013
    Better world and story than Fallout 3, but still carries over as many glitches and bugs. The day Bethesda can release a bug free game is they day they deserve a 10/10. Which has never happened, ever.
    This game should have been a 10/10. But the lame excuse that your game is too big to fully polish once again gets your game slapped down the few it could have had.
    Your ideas are genious,
    Your ideas are genious, Bethesda. But your follow through is balls.
  81. May 23, 2011
    Just amazing. 200+ hours of content for 19.99 and the best mod community around. IMHO better than Fallout 3. Great gunfights, dialogue and universe.
  82. Aug 23, 2011
    I loved Fallout 1 and 2 but hated Fallout 3. This game is more like Fallout 1 and 2. The story made sense and putting points in charisma and speech made a difference. At $20 this game is a steal. I've put in over 120 hrs and still havent completed the main quest. The 3 DLC's were at $5/DLC at one time on Steam and they are worth it. I would have given it a higher score but too manyI loved Fallout 1 and 2 but hated Fallout 3. This game is more like Fallout 1 and 2. The story made sense and putting points in charisma and speech made a difference. At $20 this game is a steal. I've put in over 120 hrs and still havent completed the main quest. The 3 DLC's were at $5/DLC at one time on Steam and they are worth it. I would have given it a higher score but too many CTD's happen. However no game breaking bugs encountered so far. Expand
  83. Apr 25, 2011
    The game is just great. It's what Fallout 3 should have been. The real Fallout 3 as a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. West Coast, Nevada, bright sun of the Mojave desert. It's great to see NCR, Followers, Crimson Caravan, Khans and true Brotherhood of Steel, not some fantasy paladins protecting the world. I really love New Vegas. Thanks, Obsidian.
  84. May 16, 2011
    This is THE GAME, and PC is THE PLATFORM to enjoy it. People who deduct the score due to bugs and such really aren't the right people to play this game to begin with; It's a faulty game, but if you look past the flaws and immerse yourself, you find that this game is one of the best things you can play. People who call this game "simplified" or "linear" don't know what they are talkingThis is THE GAME, and PC is THE PLATFORM to enjoy it. People who deduct the score due to bugs and such really aren't the right people to play this game to begin with; It's a faulty game, but if you look past the flaws and immerse yourself, you find that this game is one of the best things you can play. People who call this game "simplified" or "linear" don't know what they are talking about. Did they just follow the main quest line to the end and then sit down to review the game? WHO does that with a Fallout game??? It's exploration and freedom that makes Fallout 3/New Vegas great! It stands out amongst linear games like COD! But it's still not a sandbox experience, because those are usually about messing around and having fun. Sure, if you want to do that then New Vegas can deliver. Big time. But where it truly shines is in it's immersion. I wasted over 150 hours playing Fallout 3, on a single character. I've wasted about 70 on New Vegas so far, and I can already see that it is superior in every way - It's more balanced, brings more content and more freedom. Instead of just the Good, Neutral and Evil path, the lines are so much more blurred, and if you're immersed, then you will reflect heavily on your choices. Dialogues are better, visuals are better and aspects like morality, economics and difficulty are all improved. Overpowering is thankfully reduced, thanks to higher difficulty without more XP, tougher enemies, rarer weapons etc. BOTTOM LINE: If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this as long as you're not expecting HUGE improvements (though they feel huge to me who is crazy about the games). Those who do, well, I think they should save their money and expectations for Fallout 4. That better bring some big improvements... But as for now, New Vegas is the best first person Fallout experience out there. Go play it. Expand
  85. Mar 15, 2012
    Purchased New Vegas on release day via Steam, after having tremdous fun with Fallout 3. New Vegas expanded on the Fallout 3 universe quite nicely with a lot of extra features and interesting content which allowed for a lot of game play time if you allow yourself to do all the side quests and achievements.

I found the game to be very immersive, if a litle buggy (which is the reason I'm giving it an 8) however, the game was patched promtly after release and supported for a while after.

All in all, a great game and one of my favourites of 2010.
  86. Jun 18, 2013
    Buggy as hell, ugly as (mainly some textures) nevertheless really fun game with good story and solid actiony rpg mechanics. Dialogues and some colourful characters, some nice touches in terms of dynamic world affected by player's choices and good soundtrack are probably game's best assets.
  87. Nov 3, 2010
    It's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopesIt's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopes that actually work, making sniping and reconnaissance viable (and advantageous!). The engine is showing it's age and the radio feature didn't seem as good as FO3 as well. There is also less humour, which does seem strange since this is supposedly by a team with a lot of Black Isle members. However it's still good, and a welcome fresh twist on the original FO3. Expand
  88. Mar 11, 2011
    The DLC hasn't been worth it and there are some pacing issues (but that happens with most of Beth's games), but this is the best open world sandbox RPG out there. Between an amazingly active community of mod makers at nexus and a great base game it's a must play. Also, the price is starting to drop - so now's the time to give it a try.
  89. Oct 30, 2010
    This game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it aThis game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it a different feel than aforementioned FO3. If you liked #3, there's a very good chance you'll enjoy New Vegas. That is all. Expand
  90. Nov 5, 2010
    If you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw aIf you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw a scorpion clipped through the ground trying to attack me. There are invisible walls everywhere, so that little hill you want to get over is impossible, I don't understand this design choice for an open world environment. You rely much less on vats due to less volatile movements and improved aiming. The special system seemed to be much more important as each attribute has its pros and cons and played in more during conversations. the skills have much more diverse uses, expect finding practical uses for repair and medicine. The worst part however is this amounts to a reskin of fallout 3. While new weapons and enemies keep it fresh, combat is the same and many places seem familiar. If you enjoyed fallout 3, be prepared to be drawn into a new world along with a few hiccups here and there. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2011
    Probably the best game I've ever played. I enjoyed myself A TON playing this game. When it was over I really wanted to play more and was really bummed out. But playing through this game was extremely enjoyable and it was similar to FO3 which I loved. Which most people say is a bad thing, but I think it's great. It was just like fallout 3 with a different story line, which I loved. I don'tProbably the best game I've ever played. I enjoyed myself A TON playing this game. When it was over I really wanted to play more and was really bummed out. But playing through this game was extremely enjoyable and it was similar to FO3 which I loved. Which most people say is a bad thing, but I think it's great. It was just like fallout 3 with a different story line, which I loved. I don't know what the problem with that is... This game is simply amazing. Expand
  92. Nov 25, 2011
    This game truly reflects on the nature of a rpg. Just because the engine begins to show some age and it can get a little buggy is no reason to hate the beauty of fallout in a way this is better than fallout 3 which was originally my favorite game of all time. It has two modes to select from (Basic, or hardcore) which allows you to see how hard it will really be to survive in a wasteland.This game truly reflects on the nature of a rpg. Just because the engine begins to show some age and it can get a little buggy is no reason to hate the beauty of fallout in a way this is better than fallout 3 which was originally my favorite game of all time. It has two modes to select from (Basic, or hardcore) which allows you to see how hard it will really be to survive in a wasteland. The atmosphere is dry and the terrain is jagged and just makes you feel the realness of surviving. That's not the reason I rated this game a 10 though its because it has the best character customization (next to oblivion) It's by far got one of the best first and third person shooter methods I have ever experienced and vats just adds so much unique feelings, from the epic moment you blow off an enemies arm, leg, or head. Or turn someone into ashes or a pool of melted plasma it gives you so much satisfaction that you cant wait to kill the next enemy with the wide variations of weapons. Which brings me to my next point the weapons are perfectly balanced and everyone feels good to hold in your hands the sounds are exquisite and makes you feel like you are shooting a real gun at a real person, or creature. Also the voices are good but not great but the amount of dialogue pays up for it with over 60,000 lines of dialogue which is a record might I remind you. The amount of time and effort put into this game should be appreciated. Also the creatures and the wide amount of them really adds some flavor to the game other than fighting people with guns 24/7 *Ahem*cod. From geckos to deathclaws from cazadors to nightstalkers there are over 40 new creatures not including the dlc. I think this game alone yet a little buggy is beautiful and a game to be reckoned with 10/10 A true rpg masterpiece ~ Snowweed Expand
  93. Dec 9, 2011
    There are just so many ways to customize your character and keep things fresh. Very replayable game. I'm always finding new secrets and ways to make things more convenient for each type of character. I've probably played through this game 10 times or so, and I've maxed 2 characters out. It really means something coming from someone who normally hates this type of game. After the mess thatThere are just so many ways to customize your character and keep things fresh. Very replayable game. I'm always finding new secrets and ways to make things more convenient for each type of character. I've probably played through this game 10 times or so, and I've maxed 2 characters out. It really means something coming from someone who normally hates this type of game. After the mess that was Fallout 3, Obsidian showed Bethesda how it was done. Expand
  94. Dec 26, 2010
    People will see this game in many different views. I still remember how ground breaking Fallout was and how disappointed i was with it's successors which slowly urbanised the vast, empty fallout world.
    I can tell you FO3 and FO:NewVegas are an improvement on the last installments I played and have to give credit to Bethesda, FO3 was great but felt like it needed to go further and i do think FO:NV hit the spot, it's expansive, beautifully designed and has the right mix of emptiness and urbanisation. It feels much more open ended that FO3 and people may compare it to other games around graphics and so on, but unless they have played the original Fallout games they will not understand what a great job Bethesda has done to bring the Fallout world back to life with more Cameos and references from previous Fallout games.
    It does have some bugs, granted, but if you play this game for 20 hrs and you feel disappointed with the experience you are given, well, your the type of person that does not have time to stop and smell the roses so to speak. Worth every penny !!
  95. Dec 4, 2011
    Fallout NV is noticeably better than fallout 3. This game is actually more like the original Fallout 2 and really true to the lore in first 2 games. I bought it recently so most bugs are already fixed and the crashes and freezes does not occur frequently. So those technical problems did not bother me. The atmosphere is pretty much the same as Fallout 3 which is not bad, and the graphicsFallout NV is noticeably better than fallout 3. This game is actually more like the original Fallout 2 and really true to the lore in first 2 games. I bought it recently so most bugs are already fixed and the crashes and freezes does not occur frequently. So those technical problems did not bother me. The atmosphere is pretty much the same as Fallout 3 which is not bad, and the graphics look prettier and more colorful. Details in the weapons are very well done and weapon mods allow more in-depth gameplay. The game's difficulties are still easy even on very hard though I have not tried hardcore mode yet. The main plot line is very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it for 60 hours. The story starts boring but eventually is built up to something great. There are a couple of factions that you can interact with during the main quest line and your decisions will alter the outcomes through the whole story. Obsidian really put their deep role playing game making experience again into fallout universe to make a worthy sequel to fallout 2 (do you think New Vegas is somehow similar to New Reno in Fallout 2? ). If you are a fan since fallout this game is a must have. if you like fallout 3, NV's overall style is the same so still a good buy. Expand
  96. Feb 9, 2011
    As a fan of the original Fallouts, I was ashamed to spend as many hours as I did with Fallout 3. The game was big and fun, but not at all deep and plain childishly written. Granted, Fallout 3 had probably the best writing and quest structure Bethesda has ever accomplished, but when second place is Oblivion first place still doesn't mean much.

New Vegas inherits both the good (exploration,

New Vegas inherits both the good (exploration, variety) and a little bit of the bad (VATS, nearly-broken character system) from Fallout 3, and gets a heaping dose of what made Fallout 1 and 2 great thanks to the folks at Obsidian. I can say with little fear of contradiction that New Vegas has some of the most subtle, sensitive, and sophisticated writing you'll ever see in a game. It's really unfortunate that so few people actually seem to care about that; I guess if you want simplistic morality and giant robots you should probably stick with Fallout 3. New Vegas's writing has a depth and warmth to it that really makes its world come alive in an incredible, multifaceted way, and serves as an interesting counterpoint to the big-but-simple maxims of Bethesda's games. Really great.
  97. Mar 23, 2011
    It's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupidIt's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupid crap of fighting over the only working water purifier for no other reason than "no you can't have it because you are evil I think". Expand
  98. Mar 22, 2011
    Despite what other reviewers seem to think, Fallout 3 is in fact only similar to Fallout: New Vegas in the same way that Tesco Value cola is to Coke: a product with the same base but that will leave you wanting something far more fulfilling.

Compared to Fallout 3, New Vegas actually tries to continue the superb legacy left by the first two games, with a rich, compelling storyline that pushes you onwards mixed with an open world to explore when you feel that you've done enough of the main storyline for now. With the previous game, it felt that the storyline, and the world created, were a mere afterthought tacked on after the game engine had been created and they thought "Hold on, we need a setting for our game!". With Fallout New Vegas it is clear that Obsidian have thought through each of the choices and routes a player can take to the finale, spent time crafting the personalities of the various important characters involved in this vibrant world and actually decided that they'd like to include a colour scheme in this game (believe me, grey gets boring VERY quickly!)!

The gameplay tweaks mixed in, whilst not easily noticeable, also make the game a far more realistic world to play in. The addition of usable weapon mods makes keeping a weapon and upgrading it to improve its effectiveness a far more likely option in New Vegas, removing the need to constantly be on the lookout for newer, bigger guns at all times, and the companion wheel blends in seamlessly, dramatically improving companion interactions, although sometimes it does feel things could be done quicker through the old dialogue!

Those who criticise it as dumbed down for the "new" generation of gamers, I would tell them to get lost and to actually play the game. With its basis in Fallout 3 (often criticised for being too hard for "new" gamers, especially in the way your accuracy and damage improved with your leveling) and with all of the new features and deep storyline (which doesn't just consist of help/don't help the wasteland like in Fallout 3) this game stands up alongside its old-school predecessors (Fallouts 1 & 2 for the morons out there) with a clever criticism of the human condition, mixed with a cracking sense of humour and stylishly difficult gameplay.

Whilst you can criticise the game for bugs (a particular problem for Obsidian, if anyone remembers KOTOR2, and something that affects the entire industry these days) these often fall into the unnnoticeable category, and, with most of the major issues patched within days of release, are not really an issue as the game will now safely run for days at a time, and has been far more stable for myself over its lifetime than other, supposedly more polished releases such as the Total War, Civilization and Left 4 Dead series.

Overall, New Vegas is an astounding return of the Fallout games to a fully rounded package for the first time since the release of Fallout 2 back in 1998, and provides the longest, most compelling and most fulfilling gaming experience I have played since Knights of the Old Republic (Mass Effect & its sequel were good, but lacked some of the humour/fun present in KOTOR/New Vegas)! Any issues in the game are minor, whilst the graphics may be a little dated, they still look damned good when turned up, and the gameplay/experience will take your mind away from these things in a flash. Quite simply, this is the best game of the last 5 years, and unlike its predecessor, actually deserves to be on any list of the best games of the last decade!
  99. Oct 26, 2011
    Anyone who thinks that Bethesda's attempt at a Fallout game even approaches Obsidian's revival of the series would probably hate the original games that made it so iconic in the first place. While Fallout 3 was shallower than the average puddle, with few really meaningful choices to be made in the world, next to no fleshing out of characters, and several complete breaks from theAnyone who thinks that Bethesda's attempt at a Fallout game even approaches Obsidian's revival of the series would probably hate the original games that made it so iconic in the first place. While Fallout 3 was shallower than the average puddle, with few really meaningful choices to be made in the world, next to no fleshing out of characters, and several complete breaks from the established Fallout universe, New Vegas goes a lot of the way to repairing these faults. The game is superbly written and the player must think their actions through carefully because here, they really do mean something. Saying the wrong thing at an early stage can influence the game in ways seldom seen in any title released since the original games. The world is more alive than that of Fallout 3, with an endless list of things to do and see and a plethora of characters who each have their own story to tell. I've put just shy of 200 hours into the game so far and I'd hazard a guess I've experienced maybe half of what it has to offer at most. There is colour, and it's not green like Fallout 3 - the purple of the evening sky, the green of struggling crops, the rainbow neons of the Strip all add up to make the game feel alive. This is a true Fallout game, not a watered-down attempt to try and hook in players without the patience required for a series with so much depth. I do have to dock some points for the engine; Gamebryo continues to be buggy, clunky, and generally a bad choice for pretty much any given purpose. The Strip and New Vegas itself are miniscule, presumably due to engine constraints, and while the world is much more lively that Fallout 3's, there are still a lot of areas which hint at much greater, but unrealised, aspirations. Despite being hamstrung by its engine, however, the game offers a rich experience through its story, its characters, and its gameplay. Definitely worth buying; I can now pretend Fallout 3 didn't happen. Expand
  100. May 17, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas out did Fallout 3 for me. I loved this game and had a blast running through the campaign and side quests. What is most impressive about this kind of game is the sheer scope and weight of the stories and characters. The main storyline in the New Vegas compared to Fallout 3 is stronger in my opinion because it works more open-ended then the linear progression of theFallout: New Vegas out did Fallout 3 for me. I loved this game and had a blast running through the campaign and side quests. What is most impressive about this kind of game is the sheer scope and weight of the stories and characters. The main storyline in the New Vegas compared to Fallout 3 is stronger in my opinion because it works more open-ended then the linear progression of the Capital Wasteland romp. There is a lot of fun and surprise exploring the Mojave wasteland and dealing with the factions. I was a sucker for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and enjoyed the faction alliances and battles so moving between Caesar's Legion and the Brotherhood of Steel and the various small gangs in the Wasteland gave this game legs. It fulfilled the movement around the world because you had either allies or enemies lurking around every corner. I don't talk much about graphics or go into detail in my reviews about design but as an animator I am disappointed once again by the animation and design of New Vegas. Understandably this is forgiveable because of the volume off dialogue and characters inhabiting the world but I did upgrade some textures and aesthetics of the game when I played through it. New Vegas sucked over fifty hours of my time and I enjoyed every minute of it. Expand
  101. Oct 22, 2010
    The game is very well done considering it's storyline, quests, new features. The only real problem (which in my opinion is exaggerated) is lack of graphic improvement and bugs.

Graphics are already very good to being with, especially considering that fallout 1 and 2 had very bad graphics by modern standards, yet it was quality of storyline and freedom that made people fall in love with these games. Thus, in my humble opinion lack of graphics improvement is of a very little importance.

In regard to shooting I have to say that it actually improved in relation to Fallout 3(especially iron sights, which I love.) People who whine about it not being as good as in Call of Duty are forgetting that this is RPG and not a SHOOTER.

I, during my 5 hours of playing had not experienced a single crash, or a major bug. Only common bug I saw in the game was that NPCS would sometime get stuck in some objects
    Also quick saves and auto saves do not work after game is restarted, but I am pretty sure that will be fixed, if not already, very soon. Any other bugs are rare or not annoying.

People who said that game is laggy are crazy. I play on all the highest settings (ultra high, with resolution of 1440x900 or something like that) and I never experienced a lag. My computer stats are Quad 2.4HZ 4GB memory, 260GTX Invidia.

If you are a fan of RPG in any way, this is a must buy.

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.