Fallout: New Vegas PC

8.5

1. Dec 24, 2010
    I was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seemI was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seem huge compared to the Capital wastes, with an abundance of familiar settings and a huge array of side quests. I was a little disappointed with the New Vegas Strip; I felt it could have been bigger with a lot more to see and do. A big plus is the companion wheel; this makes managing your companions much easier.

In summary, If you loved Fallout 3 then you'll love this game. I you didn't play Fallout 3 but are willing to work through this game's bugs, then I am sure that you'll learn to love it.
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  3. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionallyObsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  4. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running intoI'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. IFirst let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  7. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  8. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if youI thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE playerBethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2015
    It's an improvement over many aspects in gameplay, atmosphere and story when compared to fallout 3, but ultimately, it also retains a lot of the same problems from it's predecessor.
  11. May 10, 2012
    This is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. CombatThis is an excellent game and falls back onto the original fallout roots but if you compare this game to Fallout 3, you will be disappointed. Your character isn't somebody you build up and the game uses the lazy Amnesia plot formula. My favorite part of this game is the politics. The symbolism the NCR, Caesars Legion and New Vegas gives us relates to modern politics in every detail. Combat is identical to Fallout 3 and it uses the same formula.
  12. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but keptFirst, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2012
    Posting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCsPosting review after playing 136 hours. ================ I am still far from completing the 3rd out of 4 DLCs for this game. =======Graphics are nearly the same as in Fallout 3, though I didn`t like the used colour palette.The game has this 2010 look, you can easily point out low res textures ; it has good sides and bad sides : like the beatiful sun effect and the bad texturing of NPCs which look artificial. IMO the performance is subpar compared to other games with better graphics like the Crysis 2. You see slowdowns to 40fps and you do not know what causes it. Sometimes the terrain loading into memory is buggy. Overall doesn`t look very good, just ok.==============Gameplay is largely the same as in F3, but in F:NV has been enriched plenty. The crafting got a big boost. You can now make anything given if you have the right skills and ingredients. You can make many food, ammo, weapon,explosives, armor options. There has been a lot of weapons added, lots of them are very cool, with many available upgrades which actually change how they feel and play. Iron sight has been added, so the game crosshair is not needed anymore.There is so much of the stuff to gather that it is hard to grasp. The weapon and armor balance has been reworked, so now you can dispatch a heavily armored opponent with AP ammo fairly easily, while HP ammo is to be used on animals. There are up to four variants of ammo for almost every weapon available which is very impressive and enriches the gameplay tenfold.=============STORY. It is cool, not much better from F3 but ok I guess. You can now choose a fraction to ally with, but you can go on with yourself freely if you choose to do so. It is up to you. You have a few of important story variants. The quests are mostly interesting, not only kill or talk. Ther are many interesting locations, with interesting logs to hear and read. IMO the mood of the game is still succesfully postnuclear. Summing it up, playing doesn`t get boring , there is much incentive to keep going, exploring. The combat system in this game is still shallow to be honest.============DLCs are well worth the price and time spent. It gets stale at times, but the story of each dlc progresses at the right moment to keep being interesting. IMO the Honest Hearts dlc is by far the worst one but still ok.===========MUSIC is the same as in Fallout 2 wih some new tunes. To be honest I liked the idea because people added old F2 tunes to the game by themselves anyway.The melodies never get old and pose a great addition to the story. However, the radio from Pipboy is inferior to this from F3. ======OVERALL verdict - upgraded Fallout 3. Expand
  14. Feb 6, 2013
    I don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: RecommendedI don not want to write a detailed review about it so to cut a long story short:FNW is much closer to the original F1 and F2 than Fallout 3. You can feel they really reached back to the roots and made a funny and enjoyable game to the fans.With thousand of MODs this game offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. This makes the "so-so" main story of the game acceptable. In summary: Recommended to everyone who likes the world of Fallout. Expand
  15. Apr 26, 2011
    Kick a** period.
    Ya well i'd rather play an awesome game that is so involved it had a few bugs then a mediocr game that ran great.
    People say " It more of Fallout 3" like thats a bad thing.. ya it plays closely the same but the depth of the quests / land/ NPC's you name it is all done really well. If you liked 3 your gonna love this. Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82
    Kick a** period.
    If you liked 3 your gonna love this.
    Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82 and played the entire Fallout series and grown/changed with it and loved its progression all the way. 10/10 in my book. But5 i dont whine and moan over a few patches being needed for a monster size game that has such a massive way for each player to progress through.. you could not have possibly Beta tested this and caught it all. where i work we have a CND "cannot duplicate" code for things we had never seen and could not repeat but other people could.. big deal.. you guys support your work and make corrections what the hell else are you suppose to do. Thanks for making this KA game.
  16. May 24, 2011
    It takes what Fallout 3 did so well and turns it up to 11. A larger map, better combat and more weapons, and a huge array of quests and factions await you in Fallout: New Vegas. Anyone who enjoyed Fallout 3 should pick this game up now. The engine is starting to show its age though, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this a higher score.
  17. Feb 13, 2012
    Underrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very differentUnderrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very different beast inside a familiar skin.

And yes, this game is very buggy. Moreso than skrim, oblivion, and fallout 3. However I had far too much immersion fun and memorable moments to let the crashes and glitches affect my play. Some people ditch a game when it locks up on them a few times. They have every right to have that stance, however that's the price you pay. And it's a price that reduces the score from 10/10 to 9/10. So not that much of a price.
  18. Apr 23, 2011
    Good all around game. I even have to play it on low settings at the moment until i get my new graphics card, but even at low settings it is a great game!
  19. Jan 1, 2013
    This is a 10/10 game while at first there were numerous bugs that would bring this to an 8 they have been corrected a long time ago. Personally The DLC is hit and miss but you can get it all for 20 bucks do not miss this game if you are a fallout fan.
  20. May 21, 2012
    I'd say it's a good game. Lots to do, lots to decide. I just hope they/someone would make a new one of these "Wasteland" Post-nuclear war games with lots of stuff to do and a good in-game engine and performance in general.

Good game nevertheless.
  21. Jun 23, 2012
    If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types,If you played Fallout 3, you will feel at home with this game. The user interface is exactly the same and the basic features are still there, but the similarities end here. In this game you lose a bit of the post-apocalyptic feel and instead embark on a western scenario with a bit of old-world touch to it. Several new features are added, like the several craftable items, ammo types, companion interaction (which is a big part of this game), mini-games and faction system. There's the new Hardcore Mode too, on which you will feel a more realistic scenario, being subjected to thirst, starvation and sleep deprivation and some other changes making you more of a survivor and less of a killing machine.

Unfortunately the game is pretty straightforward, with no possibility to continue after the last battle, coupled with the lack of memorable landmarks, makes New Vegas a bit subpar for Fallout 3 fans. The plot could be a bit more ambitious too, with more emphasis on morally subjective quests and choices.

PS: The DLCs are a must. Each one has a particular theme and new possibilities.
  22. Oct 1, 2014
    I have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves youI have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves you with a less rich experience than the others, but when all's said and done, I've put over 200 hours into this game and am still entertained by it.

New Vegas just feels like what 'Fallout 3' was supposed to be, story and gameplay-wise. The team that worked on it had developers that worked on the original series and the cancelled sequel code named 'Van Buren' and contains story elements from it and the continuity of Fallout 2. The story is set out in front of you, and it's entirely up to you how you want to carry it forward. The gameplay mechanics from F3 carry over with some small and large tweaks, and some of them are made obsolete by new systems.

After the 'vanilla' game is starting to get stale, there are countless modifications players have made to make gameplay or visual changes or completely overhaul the game to make a 'call of duty' style shooter, or a RTS style field commander game, or even a fully loaded casino simulator. If you are a shooter or rpg fan make sure you pick this up, you can find it on steam for as low as $5, so keep an eye out.

To recap, it's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and get lost in the wasteland.
  23. Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite game ever! It has amazing characters, amazing writing and Its really cheap at the moment. Its and improvement on its predecessor in many ways. I've played this game for 130+ hours and the modding community just keeps adding more to my playtime. I really do adore this game.

P.S Don't listen to HardcoreGamer27 his review makes no sense hes probably just a troll.
  24. Apr 15, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and whiteFallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and white hero/villain simply following a bread crumb trail. As much as I loved Fallout 3, this is what the original Fallout creators wanted to see happen to the IP.

PS: Even though this game is still bringing money into Bethesda's pockets 5 years later, Obsidian was denied a bonus because of the initial review scores posted on this website. They needed to score an 85 on here and scored an 84. If every reviewer did an ultimate edition review it would almost certainly break 85 or even 90 metascore. Obsidian developers, and those laid off after the project, should get compensation. If this industry wasn't so ass backwards.
  25. Jun 21, 2015
    Though it was shadowed by fallout 3, I found New Vegas much more appealing. The story may have been a bit bumpy, but the game play, soundtrack, and atmosphere make up for that big time. This is currently not only my favorite game of the previous generation, but second favorite of all time.
  26. Jan 14, 2011
    Maybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with HardcoreMaybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with Hardcore mode (the only way to play) and a Western theme. Despite my frustrations inside, love it. Also wish creatures would not respawn all the time (even mods didn't seem to stop it). Oh and get the RACE mod and the song packs - Bethesda's radio was a cute idea (again) but they need the 1-200 extra songs modders put in for them. Expand
  27. Nov 27, 2010
    Fallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem toFallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem to get stuck on the most minor map obstacles and chase the enemy even when you ask them to stay put. If you never tried Fallout 3, then get this one, if you did not like Fallout 3, you will likely not like this game. On the pro side, there is a great story, expansive and open areas to explore, new settings and life forms. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2012
    Great dialogues and characters as well as the option to solve quests in multiple ways involving the use of your character skills. Nothing that cant be fixed by the impressive mod community. Solid purchase of a game that will last you quite awhile.
  29. May 31, 2011
    definitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stasheddefinitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stashed at pile without strong scenario connections between them (no wonder coz it just wasn't really convincing that world after Armageddon could really evolve to this kind of place). Except that it's rather strong game but if you would like to describe it precisely it's rather Oblivion based at first Fallout's than Fallout's sequel with Oblivion engine. Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2015
    When people look for games to buy, I think they often neglect to think of the writers and creative directors. Why is FNV so good? It's because of Chris Avelone. Why is the writing in FNV engaging and unpretentious, yet able to achieve pathos? Chis Avelone. The team at Obsidian. Why do other recent Bethesda games have insultingly bad writing? Emil Pagliarulo, a man who thinks he's writingWhen people look for games to buy, I think they often neglect to think of the writers and creative directors. Why is FNV so good? It's because of Chris Avelone. Why is the writing in FNV engaging and unpretentious, yet able to achieve pathos? Chis Avelone. The team at Obsidian. Why do other recent Bethesda games have insultingly bad writing? Emil Pagliarulo, a man who thinks he's writing for a kids' cartoon. I thought I would point that out to all those who keep lumping all these games in one bag just because of the Bethesda logo.

As for FNV, I'll mention a few things. This game makes exquisite use of loot. Unlike some modern titles, you really need your loot to keep your guns working and your armor in good shape. The result forces the player to keep trying out a variety of different weapons and strategies.

There are a few downsides. First of all, never play any of the DLC on the first run. The DLC levels your character through the stratosphere and makes the rest of the game disappointingly easy. Like practically all open world games, FNV suffers from a difficulty "hill". Once the hill has been passed almost everything is easy to the point of absurdity. The DLC will get you to that point faster.
  31. Jun 24, 2011
    Not since the original Baldur's Gate has a CRPG combined a strong storyline with free-form exploration so well. Beautifully realised setting, loads of things to find, four different endings and "Yes Man" -- one of the best characters in a CRPG. I wish I had time to play this again! Make sure you install the patches; the release build was pretty buggy.
  32. Jul 22, 2011
    Alongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack andAlongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack and Hardcore Mode made me feel I was playing the original games again, enter severe nostalgia. I found F:NV incredibly hard to put down, absorbing and so bloody addictive (142 hours currently logged on Steam). Expand
  33. Jun 18, 2012
    The game lacks some of the iconic set pieces of FO3, but in every other way surpasses the original. This includes the four DLC, which combine to form their own unique, compelling story. Be sure to purchase the GOTY edition for the full experience. Props to Obsidian and props to Bethesda for handing the reins back to the franchise's creators.

It would get full marks alone for the

It would get full marks alone for the merciful lack of metro tunnels.
  34. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New Vegas is just a stellar improvement on the FO3 formula. The new lands to explore (And conquer for some of us) are a fresh start, though the mostly vault-less land feels a little different than your usual Fallout romp. Still crossing the wastes of Nevada and fighting everything from Powder Gangers to Giant Rad Scorpions to Deathclaws is a blast. The story you follow of the errand boy of Nevada gone wrong is intriguing and leads you through some interesting areas to learn of what happened, and exact revenge on someone who wronged you. The DLC that has come out for the game has been pretty fun. I have the GOTY edition from Steam with all the DLC packs and I've gotta say Old World Blues was a helluva good time. The writing in that DLC pack more than makes up for any frustrating pieces. I love the Fallout Universe and it's always fun to go back and pick it up again and play things out in a different way or order than you did before. Great fun :) Expand
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    Très bon jeu.. Bien meilleur que Fallout 3. L'esprit se rapproche fortement de Fallout et Fallout 2.
    La liberté d'action est très développée et nous permet de faire des choix moraux douteux, ou au contraire preux.
    A conseiller vivement pour ceux qui ne 'lont pas encore fait !
  36. Mar 17, 2012
    A fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humorA fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humor is revived here, as well. Fantastic! Expand
  37. Apr 21, 2015
    I think FNV is the best of all the "new" Fallouts. It's deep, open ended, has a few endings, lots of stuff to find and explore, and many different interesting characters to deal/talk with.

It is one of the best games that came out since the year 2000 (Everything in the game is at the very least good). Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should

Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should buy this one, or at the very least try it somehow.

I strongly recommend buying this one... especially at the low steam price. :)
  38. Aug 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, theI absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, the characters are a lot of fun, the atmosphere is incredible, the sheer amount of possible endings is mind boggling, it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and it features the voice acting talents of Dave Foley in a major role. All in all, it's a great game that I'd put in a Best of All Time list for sure, and I think it'd be just about perfect if they would fix the bugs I encountered. Just make sure you have a lot of time you can spend on this one, it took me nearly 72 hours to get through it, and I didn't even 100% it. I very strongly recommend Fallout New Vegas. Expand
  39. Feb 15, 2015
    I loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. TheI loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. The wide-open (not linear) world gives you a great sense of freedom and choices of how to play. There are so many crazy/fun characters. After five years, New Vegas feels like a chapter from my life ("remember a few years ago when you spent a few months in New Vegas making all those cool friends, killing all those bad guys, and saving everyone from Caesar's Legion?"). It's like a vacation spot I can't wait to return to. So I often do. Expand
  40. May 9, 2016
    While Fallout 3 was successful, it was a different beast entirely from Interplay’s classics. Obsidian’s take on the franchise moves the action back to the West Coast, and reintroduces elements such as reputation and faction power struggles. Obsidian expands on nearly every aspect of Bethesda’s take, making the game less about good or evil, and more about who you should trust. It also addsWhile Fallout 3 was successful, it was a different beast entirely from Interplay’s classics. Obsidian’s take on the franchise moves the action back to the West Coast, and reintroduces elements such as reputation and faction power struggles. Obsidian expands on nearly every aspect of Bethesda’s take, making the game less about good or evil, and more about who you should trust. It also adds much of the humor that we loved from the classic games. How can you not appreciate a game that gives you a nuclear grenade launcher and still have an adrenaline rush when facing a deathclaw?

New Vegas’ Hardcore mode makes survival in the wasteland more interesting, limiting the power of RadAway and Stimpacks. Yes, that makes the game harder, but also more rewarding. And what makes it all the sweater is that there are plenty of additional mods and tweaks available for all types of gameplay, including game director Josh Sawyer’s own balance-tweak mod. What I love the most about New Vegas is how it adds the Fallout feeling back into the first-person RPG framework- a path Fallout 4 sadly deviated from, leaving FNV as the last testament to the Fallout series greatness.
  41. Aug 18, 2015
    Fallout New Vegas is a game with Good re-playability and a lot of Mods is available to customize your journey in the wastelands.You can even do your own mods!
  42. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  43. Mar 9, 2011
    I absolutely loved fallout 3, and it goes without saying that New Vegas is more of the same treat. It's a different atmosphere than FO3, granted, but it's also a different city with a different set of circumstances.

I enjoyed the expanded equipment roster, the new additions to the rulesets and character creation, and the new options for immersion (such as the semi-realistic thirst and such) The only thing I can honestly say I dislike about New Vegas is the typically poor Bethesda support. The game doesn't work properly right out of the box, crashes a lot, and requires the constant tender ministrations of a devoted fanbase to make it look good and continue running... but if you can get past the technical hurdles and somehow kludge together a stable install, it's a heckuva gaming experience.
  44. Jan 7, 2012
    The game is a master piece, another master piece from Bethesda Game Studios.I sold this game, but today I'm going to get it again...
    The radios are good but could be better, the game-play is the same has Fallout 3, EPIC, vast world to investigate, 3 endings.
    Has many weapons to choose from, suits to wear and you can even created your own character. If you are a great Fallout fan you
    If you are a great Fallout fan you probably already have this game, but if you're new to the series you should start with this one.
  45. Dec 31, 2011
    I think obsidian is the top rpg creator game in our days. New vegas is deep, is dark and have a very nice story and a world open to explore. Very nice work, very nice game
  46. Jan 17, 2012
    Huge open world, much better than the original Fallout 3 in my opinion. The amount of mods available for this game is staggering, from graphical enhancements, to huge content packs. You could easily lose >50 hours in this game.
  47. Oct 15, 2012
    Obsidian took Fallout 3 and learned from previous mistakes and really improved the game play and the story.

And they returned fallout to it roots with a lot of very "Fallout" tongue in cheek humor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3. Just the options provided by the modding community alone should give this game a 90+ rating. They really

I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3.

They really improved on what they provided for Fallout 3.

I still fire it up to play just to try out the new mods.
  48. Mar 14, 2012
    Best game ever. Made me go buy Fallout 3 which showed me how wise they were in New Vegas to decrease the popcap minefields that they called the 'game map'. Only bad part about this game is that it ends - but its an amazing ride.
  49. May 24, 2012
    Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new,Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new, and unlike Fallout 3's added features they are not dumbing down the game. Game is still somehow limited given the engine and the fact that it's multiplatform. Fallout New Vegas is something Fallout 3 should be. A game worthy it's predecessors name. Expand
  50. Mar 25, 2012
    Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me.Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me. However I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who loves open worlds, shooters, with rpg elements. Expand
  51. Apr 3, 2012
    Not sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplayNot sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplay elements, such as the Companion Wheel (makes it easier to interact with Followers), "iron sights" for aiming weapons, more organized factions and the Reputation system (represents the player's relationship with factions in the game), reloading benches (for crafting ammo), a **** of new weapons, a reorganization of Skill types (Big Guns skill is dropped, Survival skill, which affects food and clothing recipes and their benefits, is introduced), and Skill level requirements for weapons. Like the post-apocalypse Washington D.C. area in Fallout 3, there are real-world locations in the Nevada/Mojave region. My overall suggestion for this game: Play it, but make sure you've played through Fallout 3 first. Expand
  52. Apr 9, 2012
    This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

Bethesda may make a decent engine. Good-looking and full-of-holes. But they absolutely suck at storylines. Fallout 3 and Skyrim fail to captivate my imagination. The quests are boring, the story is mostly boring, only the background and concept is any decent -- something you should expect from engine designers. The glitches are numerous and there is an obvious lack-of-polish. However, relatively speaking, if Fallout 3 deserves a 91; this game certainly deserves a 100.
  53. Apr 19, 2012
    one of the best games ever if it wernet for the bugs it be perfect its not about the shootings its more about how you want to play its like your world recommend for evreyone to play
  54. Apr 28, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles,Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles, maps, weapons, armour and companions just made this game perfect except for one thing, hardcore mode. The reason I can't rate this game 10 is because of hardore mode, sure you don't have to play it in hardcore mode (yet there is a achievement or trophy for beating the game on it) but playing hardcore mode is ridiculous where dehydration and starving is a problem yet almost everything will give you radiation poisoning, ammo counts as weight which is stupid, armor and weapons break down faster which is a recreation of Dead Island, etc. But this game is definitly a top 10 in my list for being a very cool realistic game where if you're bored with funny games, put this game in your pc or xbox or ps3 and get ready to actually die. Expand
  55. Aug 2, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. I have 14 hours in this game in two days. TWO DAYS. I have never played any video game so much. I've never really bought other RPG games for PC but this completely wowed me. This game is so fun and you will just lose track of time in the real world. The only real problem i have is the bugs in the game which really take away from the whole experience.
  56. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game by the makers of fallout 1 and 2.
    Lots of atmosphere.
    It is has a better crafting system then fallout 3 and is darker.
    There are no real good guys.
    Because war, war never changes.
    Great writing although some of the dialogue has to much exposition.
  57. Jul 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas takes place in the Mojave Desert, now known as the Mojave Wasteland. You step into the shoes of a courier, who was making a delivery to a mysterious figure in Las Vegas before being robbed and shot in the head by a man named Benny. You, luckily, are saved by a robot who is under the control of the head of Las Vegas (Now known as New Vegas). He brings you to a small town were he lives, and has the doctor there patch you up. After assigning S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points and picking tagged skills/traits, you are then thrust into the wasteland once again with a weapon pertaining to your highest combat skill. Now, what you do is up to you. Will you be a hero of the wastes, or the devil in disguise?
    Fallout: New Vegas is expanded upon immensely compared to the other games. Aiming is improved, skills are organized better, and the AI is just awesome. For Example:
    Starting: S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points are very important to your character. They improve Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck, or worsen them, based on point assignment. Also, instead of Fallout 3's baby book that gives you a guess on what they improve, the game directly states what skills each improves. Also, the skills were organized much better. A missile launcher is now an explosive weapon (the explosives skill isn't just grenades/landmines anymore). The big guns skill was entirely removed, with each weapon being categorized based on ammunition type. Traits are new, which give both benefits and drawbacks based on what you choose. Finally, instead of Fallout 3's "thrust into the world a god" type game play (it really isn't hard to kill anything in that game), you have a very simple weapon and very little ammo if it is a gun. It makes the game MUCH harder from the start, though the couriers stash gives you more to start.
    Factions: The Mojave is filled with many different factions, from the humble NCR to the beautiful, vice-filled streets of New Vegas. You also can gain a reputation, good or bad, with factions, which causes it's members to react differently. Sometimes, if your reputation is high enough, the faction will give you gifts, or you can even recruit new followers from them. If it's low enough, people may berate you, or even try to kill you on sight. Factions like the NCR and Caesars Legion will send assassins after you if your reputation with them is low enough.
    Combat: Many more guns to choose from, WEAPON MODS, improved AI, etc. The list goes on.
    Infiltration: Need to go to a major faction area, but your reputation is too low? Just get a disguise! Yes, you can disguise yourself as a member of a major faction. People from the faction will not try to kill you, even if your reputation is low. However, be alert, as guards and guard dogs often roam around, and they can see through your disguise. Also, enemies of that faction will immediately become hostile to you, no matter what your reputation with them was previously.
    Endings: There are multiple endings in Fallout: New Vegas, depending on who you want to help.
    DLC: There is plenty of DLC to choose from for Fallout New Vegas. From Old World Blues' backstory reviling, to Lonesome Road's immense difficulty and bringing to a final fight with the courier who was supposed to take your place for delivering the platinum chip to Mr.House.
    Game play Mechanics: At the start, you can choose to initiate Hardcore mode, which means that you have to eat, drink, sleep, and healing items always work overtime. Also, in New Vegas, you can gamble all of your caps away! That, or just get kicked out of every casino on the strip by winning too much for an achievement. Also, you can now buy and install implants. And, as with all four other fallout games, there is, of course, karma. It doesn't affect much, though it changes the ending you get for completing the game, and even allows you to obtain certain perks, while disabling others. Finally, weapons now have skill and strength requirements. If not met, the weapon will do less damage/be less accurate.
    Minor Changes: Minor changes include: Luck increasing your chances of winning gambling games, new drugs, more, better locations, more, better side quests, etc.

Overall, Fallout: New Vegas is a great game. If you liked Fallout 3, you'll LOVE this. The reason I'm not giving it a ten is because there ARE some game-breaking bugs, and some areas could've been expanded upon. But, other then that, 9/10.
  58. Apr 1, 2015
    This is one of my fauvorite games . It is already 5 years old, but this game is still good now as it was then . I highly recommend - this game is a all-time classic . I will be playiung it also in 5 years again . Unbelievable atmospere, the same feeling I had when playing Terminator : Future shock 15 or so years ago - the post appocalypse feeling only Bethesda can provide .
  59. Dec 1, 2014
    Great game i loved almost everything in it the political battles between the factions the fact that every small thing you do affect the ending the variety of companions each with his own perks and personality
    The weapons anda armor are super cool and the well done and interesting quests
    The things I dislike are the bugs and that there is no improvement to fallout 3
  60. Nov 27, 2015
    Long and rewarding game with twisted plots, superb NPC characters and original storyline but everything throw on top of horrible graphics with not atmospheric engine from Bethesda. Few voice actors through many of npcs doesn't help either. No atmosphere from Fallout 2 left but i have to admit i was surprised in few places which gave me the creeps like in som survival horror game. GameLong and rewarding game with twisted plots, superb NPC characters and original storyline but everything throw on top of horrible graphics with not atmospheric engine from Bethesda. Few voice actors through many of npcs doesn't help either. No atmosphere from Fallout 2 left but i have to admit i was surprised in few places which gave me the creeps like in som survival horror game. Game become boring after some time but until then sucks you in completely. Much better than Fallout 3. Expand
  61. Mar 24, 2015
    To most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better thanTo most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better than Fallout 3 with current patches. So lets get on to the game it self. Like any self respecting Fallout title your character, the Courier in this case, starts with a fairly simple main task. This time the main task is getting revenge. From there the story expands and if you play your cards right you might just save the world.

The good: The tweaks Obsidian gave the Gamebryo engine make this game look far more polished than Fallout 3 and makes things feel a bit more real. The characters in this game are much more colorful than 3's were and rival the characters of Fallout and Fallout 2. This game was worked on by a lot of old hands from Black Isle who developed the first two games, as a result the humor is back, in a very big way if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait. The game recaptures that desolate desert feeling of the originals and the open feeling they gave you. The music, especially on the radio is fantastic and really shapes up the atmosphere. Though I failed to mention it in my Fallout 3 review Fallout 3 does have that same feeling. On the subject of sound the voice talent is again top notch like all Fallout games. Ron Perlman returns yet again a s our Narrator, Michael Dorn returns as the Super Mutant Marcus, Wayne Newton graces our radios as Mr. New Vegas. Not to mention other huge stars and great voice actors who lend their voices in this game. With the most current patches the game feels solid and tight. Along with the Main game the DLC adds hours of fun to the game. Again having the PC version is paramount due to the mod-friendliness of the game, and again we get the GECK to make our own mods when the creativity bug bites. The mods are doubly important as they can extend the games life several times past the main play throughs of the game. Also like Fallout 3 this game rewards exploration, and if you can see it in the distance, chances are you can go there. The best part in my opinion is the return of the Super Mutants and Nightkin from the Miraposa Military Base/Masters Army. It's nice to have some intelligent Super Mutants wandering around rather than the dumb as dirt ones from Fallout 3. Possibly the best part is that this game more fully embraces the Lore of Fallout and adds back in a lot of the sleaze factor that made the originals so desolately charming. There are also some nods to the originals, though Fallout 3 had them there were fewer there than here, and they felt less sincere than this time. One last thing here, if you pick energy weapons as a tag skill to start, you get an energy weapon to start with, finally we're not punished for liking laser guns!

The bad: Still no usable vehicles or mounts... Still that matters a lot less than it did in Fallout 3 due to better spacing of towns and outposts in which to resupply. We still didn't get back the vault doors of the originals which is somewhat disappointing. Some bugs still crop up with the newest patches, but I've yet to run into any game breakers. The path feels a bit linear compared to previous titles even the third instalment, still there are plenty of reasons to back track which makes it all worth while. The lack of intelligent Deathclaws and those nasty Wanamingos from Fallout 2 feel like a sorely missed opportunity.
    That damned companion limit of 2. Really please bring back the Charisma based companion limit. The final note on the bad: This game was made by Obsidian, and it feels like it. By that I mean it feels like there's a little bit missing, this is because there is a little bit missing. As with almost every Obsidian game a few things that really leave a gap when cut, were cut. This is almost always due to deadlines with Obsidian, and not for artistic reasons like exhibited by Black Isle. This is also why the game need as many patches as it received.

Other thoughts: V.A.T.S. still feels useless in a real time game, but it's still very entertaining to kill enemies with it. Obsidian contains a lot of old hands from Black Isle Studio who made the original games.

Final thoughts: This really does seem like the game Fallout 3 should have been. It stands shoulder to shoulder with Fallout and Fallout 2 and a bit taller than 3. It captures the feeling and spirit of the originals, while elevating that to the first person arena. Proving that some games can make the leap to 3D. It's an excellent addition to the Fallout universe, an excellent RPG, and an excellent game that all RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans should have in their library.
  62. Sep 15, 2015
    Though smaller than Fallout 3 and full of bugs, New Vegas stands tall. The refined gameplay and improved content give it an advantage over previous Fallout games. Unfortunately, it fails to capture that post-war Fallout feeling, instead favouring a more Mad Max, wild west style.
  63. Mar 6, 2016
    I like open world games, I like RPGs and I like westerns. So this game is a dream come true. I am the biggest fallout fan that I know and I bow down to Bethesda and Interplay for creating a fantastic series. I've played all of the fallout games,even Brotherhood of Steel on PS2. So I mean it when I say that Fallout: New Vegas is, in ranking, the 4th worst and the 4th best. Don't get meI like open world games, I like RPGs and I like westerns. So this game is a dream come true. I am the biggest fallout fan that I know and I bow down to Bethesda and Interplay for creating a fantastic series. I've played all of the fallout games,even Brotherhood of Steel on PS2. So I mean it when I say that Fallout: New Vegas is, in ranking, the 4th worst and the 4th best. Don't get me wrong it's still a very good game but it has issues.

Gameplay in New Vegas is a bit similar to Fallout 3's gameplay but with a few added features. You can play from either a 3rd or 1st person perspective and explore this huge open world that is the Mojave Wasteland. You will find tons of stuff to do in the wasteland and it's probably the 2nd biggest Fallout game, considering content (behind Fallout 2.) It adds a hardcore mode which turns the game into a survival game where you need to drink, eat, limbs don't heal automatically but instead heal over time, doctor's bags are the only things that can heal limbs. I really like the addition of the hardcore mode and I find it a shame that they cut it out of fallout 4. So aside from that change the gameplay is the same as Fallout 3 however it crashed more than Fallout did and it has more glitches than Fallout 3 did and this happened on a regular basis around once an hour which is probably my biggest complaint about the game. Bethesda please patch this.

The story in New Vegas is that you're a courier who was delivering a package only for a guy to come over, shoot you in the head and leave you for dead. But, you're patched up by a doctor of a local settlement and you then set out to find the guy who shot you and take back your package. Yes, this story has been done quite a few times but the story changes partway through and feels like one of the most epic stuff I've ever done. I'm not going to spoil anything though, all I'm going to say is it changes about 5 quests in. So the opening plot isn't good but the second plot is amazing. Also, like other Fallout games, you can meander off and do side quests but I tend to not do that as I prefer to get the main quest out of the way so there's nothing to get in my way.

Graphics are good but could easily be better. It definitely looks like a wasteland and everything looks like what it's meant to be but all I'm going to say is thank god the modders stepped in. Sound is amazing. If you're wandering around the wasteland in the evening, you can hear crickets and wildlife and in the morning you can hear crows, people socialising and all sorts.

There isn't much need for replay value as you won't be able to start again due to you still being busy discovering new things in the wasteland. For example, this game has been out since 2010 and I just discovered 3 weeks ago, a deathclaw camp which I never knew about before and was on for a solid 40 minutes fighting them with my 2 followers (Boone and ED-E.) You will easily sink over 200 hours into this (I played this on PS3 before that's why there isn't as much hours on my account)

I highly recommend Fallout New Vegas even if you've touched a video game. It's a great western, a great open world game and a great RPG and an OK survival game (in hardcore mode.)
  64. Apr 3, 2016
    This game is an orgy of fun. The colorful characters, intriguing quests and a killer story make for hours of time spent playing the game. The diversity of decisions you can make are a great example of how much thought Obsidian put into this game. Fallout: New Vegas kicks Fallout 4's ass. Obsidian took everything we know and love about Fallout 3, built upon it and delivered a game soThis game is an orgy of fun. The colorful characters, intriguing quests and a killer story make for hours of time spent playing the game. The diversity of decisions you can make are a great example of how much thought Obsidian put into this game. Fallout: New Vegas kicks Fallout 4's ass. Obsidian took everything we know and love about Fallout 3, built upon it and delivered a game so amazingly orgasmic I am having trouble understanding how it did not win Game of the Year in 2010. The DLC adds an entire other story that actually manages to tie in with the main story beautifully. The Ultimate Edition completes the game but it's still extremely enjoyable without DLCs. Fallout: New Vegas throws away the clunky and buggy gameplay from Falloout 3. A problem in which many of us **** it, this is game is so good I don't care that i have to reload a save from two hours ago. Goodbye friends and family, I will be playing Fallout 3 for the rest of my life." OK maybe not quite like that, but the point here is that Fallout: New Vegas brings that feeling back. In case you still don't understand what makes this game great, Fallout: New Vegas is phenomenal because of the diversity of choices and the effect your choices have on the Wasteland. That is the game's key feature. Sorry if you prefer a mindless, linear and dry COD storyline, but this game KICKS ASS. The replayability and attention to detail, as well as a few nods to Fallout 1 and 2, make me have to declare this game a 10/10. For god's sake buy the game and play it. For those of you **** and crying about this game and Fallout 3 crashing... THERE IS A FIX!!! I repeat there is a fix do not give up hope. Expand
  65. Aug 18, 2012
    [First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually[First Impressions] I notice that many people giving this game negative reviews all seem to be "bad graphics" this and "poor port" that, but let me just give my opinion of the game without referring to such trivial issues. First of all, New Vegas in NOT made my Bethesda, but was developed by Obsidian. From a FI perspective the game isn't much to write home about; the gameplay is virtually unchanged save for new weapons and iron sight aiming and the quests are as fun as ever. The most significant difference is the reputation system which dictates how different factions and settlements will react to you. For example, doing favours for someone will increase your reputation with that settlement or doing vice versa will degrade your reputation. The system does produce interesting scenarios from a role-playing perspective but it means little to me as I'm more interested in the world and the quests. The game has a more distinct vibe to it than Fallout 3 despite the main story being uninteresting in comparison, the colourful Vegas looks quite spectacular from a distance. So from a first-impressions viewpoint, I like New Vegas. It still has plenty of interesting quests and I'll no doubt enjoy what the reputation system can offer but for some reason I can't get that interested in the setting. Expand
  66. Jan 10, 2012
    Although i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. IAlthough i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. I had no problems personally running this game although it has crashed on me twice in the 40 hours that have been played. If you like rpg's or Couldn't get enough of Fallout 3 you should buy this game. Expand
  67. Mar 3, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with F3 since for me it lacked the soul of the earlier Fallout games. In F:NV the world feels lot more like Fallout 2 and even the story is kind of continuation from that. This game is must buy for Fallout fans.
  68. Feb 28, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The reason I scored this at 8 rating because it has often lot of problems such as loading took long but really never take to game. It turn out glitches cause it but it really worth to play.
  69. Mar 15, 2012
    It started out with a few bugs but nothing they haven't fixed with patches or to game crushing. This game is awesome any true fallout or ES fan should buy and play.
  70. Mar 15, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game, great characters and the continued great game-play of FO3. Few games really make me feel like I'm in a living breathing world as Fallout New Vegas has.
  71. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. thou shalt get that bonus huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue Expand
  72. Mar 15, 2012
    I am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmedI am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmed with the depressive nature of previous installments. It is alive and enjoyable. Expand
  73. Mar 15, 2012
    Great game with a decent difficulty curve. enjoyable atmosphere with many wonderful DLC expansions. the missions are kinda bland at times but overall great
  74. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a fantastic RPG, filled with memorable locations, characters, and great writing. There several ways to play the game, who to side with, and how that affects the outcome of your actions.

Best Obsidian game yet.
  75. Aug 25, 2012
    I'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house perI'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house per town) Fun mini-games of caravan (card game) and casino games. Had and still have fun playing this great game. Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2012
    its all about the first fallout game you play. if you play fallout 3 first than you'd like it better, if you played new vegas first like i did you'd love it more. over all YOU MUST PLAY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE MASTER PEACES!!
  77. Dec 28, 2012
    Fallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interestingFallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interesting characters - woulnd't trade it for anything, well, maybe except for Fallout 4! Expand
  78. Aug 1, 2014
    Ah, Fallout: New Vegas. The first Fallout game I've played, and a nice introduction as well. Fallout: New Vegas has that.... Bethesda feel. You know, the same little details that are in most Bethesda games. Big, open world, tons of quests and side quests, a large selection of weapons, mods (if you own it on PC), and a whole lot more.

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of bugs and glitches. Some of them may crash your game, or cause some weird graphical errors, but that's fine. It's the game breaking bugs that you gotta worry about. These usually happen when you don't install a mod right, and can seriously break your game where you can't play it. Like, you REALLY can't play it. Uninstalling it won't work (in most cases) and sometimes you may even spend hundreds of dollars just re-buying the game.

Game breaking bugs aside, Fallout: New Vegas is definitely worth your money.
  79. Nov 15, 2015
    «War. War never changes»

Fallout: NV became what was to be Fallout 3. Atmospheric, variability, deep. For me personally, New Vegas has become the 2nd largest Fallout, after the Fallout 2. 9/10.
  80. Jun 8, 2016
    I've played both fallout 3 and New Vegas and personally i say Vegas is better. I've put in over 200 hours into Vegas and it still is not boring to me, ans I've put around 30 in 3 and am bored out of my mind. I can't play Fallout 3 for more than 20 minutes without quitting to do something else. Fallout New Vegas has 4 main endings with 50+ side quests that contribute to these major endings.I've played both fallout 3 and New Vegas and personally i say Vegas is better. I've put in over 200 hours into Vegas and it still is not boring to me, ans I've put around 30 in 3 and am bored out of my mind. I can't play Fallout 3 for more than 20 minutes without quitting to do something else. Fallout New Vegas has 4 main endings with 50+ side quests that contribute to these major endings. And there is SO much replay ability in New Vegas. And that's where I think 3 falls short. Although there are a few bugs in the game, I still found more in Fallout 3 so people saying the bugs ruined it is pretty false in my opinion. Expand
  81. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played the first fallouts, so I was always wondering why so many users didn't like fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot.
    After playing NV however I realized why so many people hated F3. It was more a shooter than a RPG game like the first 2 ones.
    NV really made me to immerse with the world, with the politics, with the factions. My choices influenced the events, how the factions react toward me, what I can speak with someone or what I can not. I really enjoyed that I do really play a role in the game's world, that my actions really influence things around the world.

I could even give a 10, but some bugs here and there and graphical glitches really stop me from doing that.
  82. Jun 2, 2016
    I was a big fan of the game back in the day and went back to play it recently and yes it still holds up. Plot is great, lots of interesting side quests, combat is solid, radio is fantastic. There is not much bad I can say about the game, the graphics are obviously a bit dated, the combat is not top notch FPS level, inventory management can be tedious. That said this game is just..I was a big fan of the game back in the day and went back to play it recently and yes it still holds up. Plot is great, lots of interesting side quests, combat is solid, radio is fantastic. There is not much bad I can say about the game, the graphics are obviously a bit dated, the combat is not top notch FPS level, inventory management can be tedious. That said this game is just.. awesome.. The DLC is fantastic as well. If you are even remotely interested in playing this and have not yet I highly suggest it. Expand
  83. Nov 27, 2014
    One word... Orgasmic! Everything good about has already been said so I'll just try to be brief. I played Fallout: NV on PC and since I had to option to mod it to the high heavens, well, why not? So I looked around and decided to play it with the Project Nevada Mod. Holy hell, the experience was fantastic. With the super dark nights, forcing me to use night vision or thermal after dark, theOne word... Orgasmic! Everything good about has already been said so I'll just try to be brief. I played Fallout: NV on PC and since I had to option to mod it to the high heavens, well, why not? So I looked around and decided to play it with the Project Nevada Mod. Holy hell, the experience was fantastic. With the super dark nights, forcing me to use night vision or thermal after dark, the game's immersion levels blew me away. The tons of new stuff and bug fixes from this mod are crazy. Thanks Modders! After more than 150 hours playing, I have to say, if you like post-apocalyptic open-world RPGs, it doesn't get any better than this. It's up there with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. Expand
  84. Oct 19, 2014
    I love this game the environment and ambiance which transports you into the game and makes it a truly immersive experience. I only wish it wouldn't crash as often which is why it doesn't get a 10
  85. Dec 17, 2014
    After finishing the game 4 times with 4 different characters and having seen 4 different endings I have this to say.Fallout New Vegas is a good role playing game.I didn't liked the expansions but the core game had an interesting story and choices.Nice guns,nice feeling,almost no bugs.What is not to like?I would give it a nine but because of the hatters I am forced to give it a ten.
  86. Sep 13, 2014
    Okay, when i first played this back in 2012...I think. I thought that game was boring like a McDonald's pancake without the syrup and butter. So I decided to try this game one more time. I've been playing it and have to say this game has so much content and I haven't been bored yet. Just when you think you have seen everything you stumble into another "deep" side mission. I don't want goOkay, when i first played this back in 2012...I think. I thought that game was boring like a McDonald's pancake without the syrup and butter. So I decided to try this game one more time. I've been playing it and have to say this game has so much content and I haven't been bored yet. Just when you think you have seen everything you stumble into another "deep" side mission. I don't want go in detail about missions but you have to try it. In my opinion the main story isn't as strong as Fallout 3. Even though I have read the original Fallout games were more mature and better than Fallout 3. There's these giant mutated bees called Cazadores. They will **** your **** up if ain't at a high level or prepared your character with enough anti-venom. There's Three main factions N.C.R, The Legion, and The Khans. There other factions you can join because I joined The White Glove Society. Wearing certain armor from a different faction can cause npc to treat you different.
    The landscape and wasteland has more of a rundown apocalyptic feel than Fallout 3. I liked the choice of songs in Fallout 3 radio station a little more than this selection but it's still good. My character is a level 25 with high speech, unarmed, and melee skills. My character just survived being decimated by Boomer artillery as she tried to get into their base. There's also different companions I have found three. I have a robot companion. It's a good game!
  87. Jun 17, 2016
    Oh yes, this is waht Fallout fans have been hoping for then they heard that Fallout is going to become a first and 3rd person shooter. An actual RPG. Decisions. Speech checks. No non-killable NPCs. Traits (which are basically a representation for your prior live, which you can make up yourself, not beeing forced into your role). Beeing able to skip great parts of the main storya nd thenOh yes, this is waht Fallout fans have been hoping for then they heard that Fallout is going to become a first and 3rd person shooter. An actual RPG. Decisions. Speech checks. No non-killable NPCs. Traits (which are basically a representation for your prior live, which you can make up yourself, not beeing forced into your role). Beeing able to skip great parts of the main storya nd then stuble accross the person you were looking for in a casino. Muiltiple ways of solving a problem, often with non-violent solutions, too. Also vast improvements in terms of gunplay (iron sights!) and the re-introduction of ammo types (armoured target? AP round then. No armour? Take 75% more damage with my HP roudn then) and a rather simplistic yet still interesting weaponm odding system. Oh, and huge ammounts of weapons. And all that makes NV a great RPG with lots of replayability. Expand
  88. Aug 18, 2014
    I will say on Ps3 it is buugy it will freeze and you will cry because you were playing one of the best games you ever played and it just froze on you.
  89. May 14, 2015
    If you have never played Fallout New Vegas and are sitting here reading reviews... GET UP AND BUY IT NOW!!!!

Seriously, go buy it, right this second. Just be sure to say good bye to your loved ones because you won't see them for like 2 weeks.
  90. Nov 18, 2014
    I really like a good RPG, what I define as good is everything that Fallout New Vegas has.

A lengthy game 100 hours plus to complete everything including all achievements. A great big massive open world to explore that feels alive with seemingly endless quests. Gripping story that keeps you playing. Interesting and varied NPC's. Choices to make that can be very hard to decide,

Gripping story that keeps you playing.
    Interesting and varied NPC's.
    Choices to make that can be very hard to decide, especially since you aren't sure of the outcome, will make you wonder, should I have made that choice??

Very customisable, can play the way you want. I love being a sneaky kleptomaniac sniper that picks off enemies from afar and steals everything.

Enjoy having companions, my fave being the eyebot who plays battle/victory music.

The only things I dislike is that getting bad karma when stealing doesn't seem to do anything.
    I've sneakily stolen everything I can, but did quests to help out the towns and still end up idolised. I guess my good deeds outweigh my bad.

Weapons and armour deteriorate too fast, making me think that ppl in Mojave don't know how to make quality weapons, but at least I can make my own weapon repair kits, so not too much of a problem.

Game suffers from occasional crashing, freezing and game not loading on first try and area not loading after fast travel.

This is a must play game and I strongly recommend it.
  91. Oct 22, 2014
    First off, I am a hardcore Fallout fan. Got over 400 hours in New Vegas alone. It's far from perfect though. There are some game breaking glitches, the visuals aren't amazing and you might end up getting stuck in the ground per occasion. Trust me though, it's worth it!
  92. May 31, 2015
    Some of the original developers from the first two Fallout games worked on this game, making it great. Ain't that a kick in the head?

The story in this game is the equivalent of the first two Fallout games while the gameplay matches up to that of Fallout 3. This game is simply amazing. Fallout: New Vegas is a game where you play as a courier on a quest for revenge after he is shot in the head (and somehow saved). This game is fun to play with interesting characters, great atmosphere, an amazing storyline and fun gameplay. It was smart of Bethesda to let Obsidian create this game as they still had people who worked on the first two, meaning that the story was great and it had no plot holes (I'm looking at you, Fallout 3).

Fallout: New Vegas takes place in a post-apocalyptic Nevada. On October 22 - October 23, 2077, a nuclear war named The Great War happened between the U.S and China which caused catastrophic damage to both countries. In 2281, Fallout: New Vegas follows you, a courier who was shot in the head by a man named Benny. Why were you shot? Beacuse he wanted to take the item you were delievering, a platinum chip. After you are saved by a robot and a doctor in a local town named Goodsprings, you begin your quest to find the man who killed you, which eventually leads you to the big city: New Vegas, The Strip. While you are on this quest, you will find interesting people along your journey which will make you do tasks for them in return for information, rewards or them becoming your companion. The lore in this game is extensive and is not too little or too overdone.

On your journey, you get caught into something much bigger. You begin to find out that two factions are fighting for control of the wasteland, more importantly The Hoover Dam. The two factions are named NCR and Caesar's Legion. The NCR wants civilisation and law and order to be restored to the wasteland while Caesar's Legion wants civilisation but through enslaving people. You can choose to either take control of New Vegas yourself, help the NCR or help The Legion which makes for interesting decision making. The factions in this game are great and they all feel very unique. The best factions consist of: The NCR, Caesar's Legion, Yes-Man (Your own) and the Brotherhood of Steel. This game also has an interesting reputation system as everytime you commit a crime to one of these factions, your reputation will lower and if it is too low, they begin to attack you on sight. For example, if you are helping the NCR and they tell you to eliminate a camp of Legion soldiers, after you kill them you will be shunned by Caesar's Legion and they will shoot you on sight. If you help one of the factions, your reputation will increase and they will constantly give you rewards and be more helpful to you.

The gunplay in this game is great. The guns feel good to shoot, even though some of them feel weird with weird sounds and animations. While the gunplay is good, it can even be further improved through using mods. Mods will make this game SO MUCH better! They offer a greater challenge and great gameplay improvements that should have been there from the start. Examples of great mods are Project Nevada, Nevada Skies, Realistic Headshots and many others. Project Nevada adds in more immersion, helmet HUDs and much more which really immerses you into the game. Some mods also alter the graphics of the game to match it up to today's graphics while still keeping the initial charm of the original ones.

The world that Obsidian has created is incredible. It's interesting, the atmosphere is creepy and desolate and it really feels alive (Even though it is a dead world). When in cities, you really feel that they put effort into them as there are many missions, most of the buildings have details and they look great. The roads are destroyed, mutated animals and raiders roam the wastelands in hope of food and survival and merchants and traders go across hoping to find someone to trade with for bottle caps. Once you reach Freeside, the town in which you find access to The Strip, you think you have reached civilisation but you quickly find that the wasteland has still corrupted it as thugs roam around and gangs still fight for control.

In conclusion, this game is one, if not the best Fallout game ever made. It was a MAJOR improvement of Fallout 3 and the story matches up to the first two games as some developers in Obsidian worked on the original ones. The game has great gameplay (even more with mods), an interesting story, a good reputation system and factions that are all unique. If you are an avid fan of Fallout or any post-apocalyptic games, buy this game on PC and get mods. You will not regret it!

4.5/5
    5/5 with mods
  93. Feb 24, 2015
    A lot of people think 'Fallout 3' is better than 'New Vegas', but I happen to disagree with this sentiment. To me 'Fallout 3' felt very unbalanced in terms of combat, and maybe I was just terrible at it, but enemies were way too difficult to kill at the beginning of the campaign, and it kept me from putting more than a few hours into it my first time around. On the other hand, playing 'NewA lot of people think 'Fallout 3' is better than 'New Vegas', but I happen to disagree with this sentiment. To me 'Fallout 3' felt very unbalanced in terms of combat, and maybe I was just terrible at it, but enemies were way too difficult to kill at the beginning of the campaign, and it kept me from putting more than a few hours into it my first time around. On the other hand, playing 'New Vegas' for the first time felt much more inviting in terms of the overall pace of the story, and I ended up putting almost thirty hours into it. Take that however you'd like, but my experience with 'New Vegas' was much more enjoyable than my time spent with 'Fallout 3'.

Now my overall feelings towards both of these games may be slightly biased as 'New Vegas' happened to be the first open world first person shooter that I sunk a significant amount of time into, but it just feels like a more polished, better game. This may also have something to do with the fantastic soundtrack that accompanies you along the way of the 'New Vegas' campaign. There's just something oddly entertaining about destroying robots while listening to songs from Dean Martin and the rest of the 'Rat Pack' that really puts me at ease.

In conclusion, if you’re looking for a game that you can spend almost thirty hours on before completing then look no further than 'Fallout: New Vegas'. Everyone knows that the Fallout games are amazing and this installation of the series is no different. The environment is fascinating, the characters are interesting, and the missions never get stale. Easily one of the best open world shooters to date, you're a damn fool if you don't pick this one up as soon as possible to sink your metaphorical teeth into as well. Well, what are you still doing here?
  94. Feb 25, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is far more advanced than its predecessor, more difficult, more items, more characters and more everything. The story however, is slightly inferior than that of Fallout 3's story, with less emotion and lack of explanations. You're pretty much killed then 'revived' and you go on a rampaging killing-spree in search of your killer for revenge! Just like Fallout 3 (withoutFallout: New Vegas is far more advanced than its predecessor, more difficult, more items, more characters and more everything. The story however, is slightly inferior than that of Fallout 3's story, with less emotion and lack of explanations. You're pretty much killed then 'revived' and you go on a rampaging killing-spree in search of your killer for revenge! Just like Fallout 3 (without Broken Steel), you cannot play after the final mission which is extremely disappointing and underwhelming. The DLC's definitely improve and are far better than Fallout 3's notoriously short and linear DLC's.

TL;DR if you prefer a more advanced game with more content than its predecessor that has a superior storyline, you will certainly enjoy this game. If you prefer having more reasoning and explanation and overall better plot, you will prefer Fallout 3 to this game.
  95. May 12, 2015
  96. May 6, 2015
    Well, sometimes people think a 10 is too much for a buggy game. I don't.
    Well, sometimes people think a 10 is too much for a buggy game. I don't.
    I was a big fan of TES series, and never paid much attention to Fallout. One day, a friend of mine bought FO3 for me. Easily I got 40 hours of gameplay, I was addicted! Then, I bought Fallout: New Vegas. It's GREAT. Ok, there are bugs but... they can be easily solved with console commands or so... So many things to do, so many possibilities... I can't stand seeing people rating it with 4 or minus than this. The creators put a LOT OF effort on this game, and we can see it. Big games have their bugs. Skyrim say this for himself.
    So I highly recommend this for EVERYBODY who likes Skyrim / RPG's / post-apo games.
  97. Apr 8, 2016
    Fallout: New Vegas is an excellent RPG and more true to the originals than Fallout 3. Obsidian did a great job writing exhiliarating dialogues, great quests, and a thrilling (though simple) story. Factions matter for once and are to some extent responsive and mutually exclusive. Your actions and decisions can reshape the wasteland, it's new settlements and politics. Choice and consequenceFallout: New Vegas is an excellent RPG and more true to the originals than Fallout 3. Obsidian did a great job writing exhiliarating dialogues, great quests, and a thrilling (though simple) story. Factions matter for once and are to some extent responsive and mutually exclusive. Your actions and decisions can reshape the wasteland, it's new settlements and politics. Choice and consequence are very present and at the end of the game, you are shown the results of your actions in a slideshow like with Fallout and Fallout 2.

There are often different ways in which to tackle certain quests and the ones open to you will depend on the build and development of your character.

Fallout: New Vegas has a wide range of interesting weapons and futures iron sights, as opposed to fallout 3. The desert/vegas setting is very fun and interesting. Music choice and DJ is very good (though the only point at which fallout 3 was better).

I ended up putting over 200 hours playtime into and unlocked all achievements, just because it was fun. Real score 9.2/10.
  98. Feb 20, 2016
    Perhaps the only true sequel to the original games, this offers an in depth role playing experience with crucial choices weighing on your every move and characters you'll come to love, or love to hate. This game goes from strength to strength and If I were to include the DLC available it'd easily be a 9/10 ... If I could include player made mods this game tips the 10/10

There are so

There are so many ways to play this, and thanks to a thriving modding community even years after most folk have forgotten about this game and moved on there's new content bubbling up to ensure this superb game keeps drawing me back in.

There are a few very notable game-engine glitches and the graphics are dated by most standards but really these things hardly ever detract from having a great game, becoming embroiled in the wasteland and wondering If your character is strong enough to crack the next challenge.

I highly recommend this game, especially now that it's old enough to regularly be available on sale! get a cheap copy and find out where the wastes take you...
  99. May 7, 2015
    This is my favorite game. 1st place. I played in it and all DLCs for more than 200 hours and then played Fallout 3. This is not only about RPG+survival. It's about unique atmosphere which you cannot get with many games.
    My 2nd place game: Mass Effect 1,2,3
    3rd place: Deus Ex all parts.
  100. Jul 12, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas was the first Fallout game that I played that would soon enough plunge me into the interactive universe of Fallout. I had originally purchased the game on Steam through a Steam sale because it was extremely cheap and I figured why not, try something new with video games. For the longest time, I hated New Vegas, as I found the beginning levels far too hard to complete,Fallout: New Vegas was the first Fallout game that I played that would soon enough plunge me into the interactive universe of Fallout. I had originally purchased the game on Steam through a Steam sale because it was extremely cheap and I figured why not, try something new with video games. For the longest time, I hated New Vegas, as I found the beginning levels far too hard to complete, resulting in me taking an extensive break from the game. During this break I decided to read up on the Fallout lore, etc. After about an entire 2 years of not playing the game, I decided to give New Vegas another chance, and boy was I glad I did so. What I did wrong my first time through was that I was flying through the quests far too quickly, disabling me from exploring the wasteland, appreciating the game for what it was, discovering secrets that could give me a little tactical boost, so I decided to change my approach on the game.The story alone is very intriguing, but for first time players, the expansive world and endless possibilities might be too much for one to take in if you are new to these type of games, but you sooner or later adjust, just as I did. While New Vegas may be a good game, whether that be combat wise or story wise, it does have its fair share of bugs. Through my PC playthrough of New Vegas, I experienced a total of 15-20 game crashes, but the causes I could never really determine, it was never something that was in the game. Any bugs that I did experience in game were never something to drop my everything I was doing and write it down so that I should remember the particular bug. All and all, New Vegas is a very good game, especially with the DLC that was released over time (but I recommend doing the DLC missions towards the end of the game when your character is MUCH higher in level). I would recommend that anyone who loves games where any decision you make can alter the story should play this game, preferably on consoles so that you don't have to experience the frequent game crashes, as I did. Expand
  101. Oct 26, 2010
    Short and simple. If you loved Fallout 3, and don't mind more of the same, then yes, you will love New Vegas.

This isn't a step forward or step backward per se, but there aren't many huge improvements that make this feel like an entirely new game. It feels more like DLC despite what previews had said.. How do I feel paying $50 for it? I'm okay with it, but I will be reluctant to buy Fallout: New Something using the same outdated graphics, gameplay, and glitches/bugs. This is a vast game, trust me, as with Fallout 3, there is ALOT of game here. So bugs are understandable. But you will encounter them often just because of how open and non linear this game is. And unfortunately, frequent bugs CAN ruin the game and makes this for a frustrating unpolished product. Just because it's unpolished doesn't mean it's not fun, it just means for a little disappointment for the gamer. And I think alot of people feel a bit offended that they would release this product the way it is. But what I love about this game is still the same. I can spend hours and hours playing this. So far, I'm LOVING this game as much as Fallout 3. Hardcore mode is a nice touch but hasn't gotten me into tons of trouble yet. So when you have a formula, it's good to stick with it. But the players won't stick with it as long as you may think.... For the next game, they will have to reinvent the engine, reinvent the gameplay, and figure out a way to better debug this game. They cannot continue the series this way, it will not last. Given those words, not everyone will like this game. It deserves a higher score, really, it does. But it's been done before, and is more or less on the same level as Fallout 3.

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.