8.4

1. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  4. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  5. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  6. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  7. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  9. Oct 25, 2010
    PC has been patched up well so most of the negative reviews about this being too glitchy should be reconciled. Plain and simple, this is game is more Fallout 3. And by more I mean a LOT more. Not only is there a lot of content in this game, but the sidequests are really interesting and fun. The faction system is a small but quite potent addition but unfortunately the changes pretty much end there. Bioshock 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 were also very alarmingly similar to their predecessors thought so I guess there's not much to complain about. Point is, if you liked the original Fallout 3 and want more interesting sidequests to play, Fallout: New Vegas is something you cannot ignore. Expand
  10. Oct 19, 2010
    I loved part 3 and i haven't played part 1 and 2 *shame* I love the game engine, already loved it in oblivion and its still fantastic. great areas, nice indoor and tons of non scripted situations that make every step unique in this dangerous future scenario. Not perfect yet, but with dlc, patches and mods it gonna rock even more. 10 points because after the work that has to be done it would be an 11 or 12 score :) Expand
  11. Oct 20, 2010
    A marvelous addition to the Fallout franchise. Even if the bugs prohibit some players to enjoy the game to it's fullest. They are a minor inconvenience to an otherwise excellent game. The story is compelling, the graphics still hold up to today's standards. Overall, an excellent and a must buy game.
  12. Oct 20, 2010
    Simply amazing. I am loving every second of this game, from crafting, to iron sights, to new quests, and the New Vegas strip. The dark humour from Fallout's 1 and 2 is back, and with the Wild Wasteland trait, the game is funnier than ever. Everything is balanced, from perks, to guns, to leveling, and even the enemies, although the cazadors are a bit hard to kill. The new locations really show off the beauty of the engine, and while there are some bugs, a patch came out today that's really working quite well. The voice acting is great and the characters, simply charismatic. Enjoy your stay. Expand
  13. Oct 24, 2010
    This is what games should be like. This is a mature game, for those that really want to invest in a game and immerse in the storyline. If you're looking for an on-rails shooter just let this game go and go buy one of the 99% of boring same games out there.

The storyline sucks you in and is much more loyal to the 2 first amazing fallout games. Sure the graphics are dated, and there are the
    occasional bugs, but the game is challenging (especially in hardcore mode) interesting and keeps you coming for more.

And finally it's an RPG whose storyline is not: The end is coming (the blight, the horde, the dark forces or whatever) and you're the one who has to stop it...There's an original story with much more complex and interesting elements.

If what I mentioned above is what you're looking for in a game, go get it RIGHT NOW
  14. May 12, 2012
    If you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on some irrelevant side mission. I love the stress-free freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it.

The game left me in awe as to how intricate virtual worlds like this can be experienced in such stunning detail--definitely worth spending my time and energy. Its biggest disappointment is the inability to continue character development and exploration once the main quest is finished. You are forced to load an old save...
  15. May 23, 2011
    Just amazing. 200+ hours of content for 19.99 and the best mod community around. IMHO better than Fallout 3. Great gunfights, dialogue and universe.
  16. BMF
    Oct 25, 2010
    When I first picked up new vegas I was a little worried that it might be a smaller version of fallout 3 but it turned out new vegas was a huge new post apocalyptic world to explore that even the buggy Gamebryo engine couldnt bring down. Modders have already released a large amount of mods for new vegas and more are pouring in so im sure I will be adding to the 50 or so hours it took to beat the game the first time. Fallout new vegas is truely diserving of the Fallout name and I look forward to seeing where the series goes next. Expand
  17. Oct 20, 2010
    I found Fallout New Vegas to be a refreshing turn from Fallout 3. The combat isn't spray and prey anymore, the spread of rifles is more logical, the ammo is great and 3 hours in and no enclave or super mutants which in Fallout 3 seemed to be the only opponents other than the occasional rad roach or feral. The binoculars don't zoom as far as I had hoped but they do help some. Other than that it's a great game and worth the money, for the PC that is, it has a few bugs and is obviously better as we have unofficial patches and mods for the PC. I wouldn't buy any bethesda game on the Xbox or Ps3. Expand
  18. Oct 23, 2010
    With Fallout: New Vegas all I can say is that it's NOT a DLC that they just called another game just to rip you off full price... (cough cough left 4 dead 2). This game is a full fledged world with a full and descriptive story-line. The game has been given graphically, some touches here and there. This is things in game such as: Better looking characters, slightly farther viewing distance, better lighting and texture reactions to lighting, and flora has been touched on as well noticeably. All the new revamped sounds for the guns and weapons sound realistic as well now. Third person mode was fixed where it is now an "accurate" camera, so when I look at something in third person mode, now I can pick it up. So far, being 6 hours in, no major glitches are present, just some areas where my framerates will go from smooth 60 to 20, thats being around stuff like fire, smoke, dust-devils, etc. The new environment has been completely redone. I have seen almost NO repeating textures from Fallout 3, besides a few rocks and some dungeon floors maybe, but have noticed some reused stuff from oblivion such as glowing mushrooms or their dungeon looks. Aiming down the sights is now present and is actually accurate. Crouching now affects your aim more, which gives a more realistic approach to combat. Enemy AI are slightly changed with more aggressive, and conservative(by fleeing) enemies. The tons of new guns, plus a couple of classics like the 10mm pistol from FO3 are present. The new factions system is amazingly done, so many factions, and all of it is your choice openly on what to do to them. A full fledged crafting system is now in-game. Now you can create ammo types, Modify guns(stuff like silencers and scopes, barrels, etc.), and cook stuff from healing powders to anti venom. Enemies now are harder as well thanks to the new armor system. If I shoot a radscorpion, he is armored, it will tell me next to his health-bar. This gives the game a more RPG feel where tactics are involved. Some enemies now poison your character, requiring you to have anti venom. Hardcore mode makes the game allot more realistic. They should have called it realism mode because its not really more difficult, its just how you play. The food and drinking system is realistically paced, that means i only get dangerously thirsty/hungry/sleepy around the amount of time it take someone in real life to. It also makes stimpacks and foods heal over time instead of instantly. Character movements have been changed to look less robotic as well. This applies to stuff such as getting hit in the head and jumping and running animations. The map is around 3/4 the size of FO3, but guys, we all know that 1/4 of FO3's map was mob space anyways, just there to hold enemies. The other 3/4 where content filled, just like the WHOLE entire vegas map. Plants now grow around the wastes for you to pick and use to craft with, or just eat. About 9/10 of their perks i have seen so far you gain on leveling are cool and helpful, unlike its predecessor which had a broken perk system. The trait system is cool as well, and the game presents you with them simple and faster near the beginning. The start of the game has been improved so now you can get into the wasteland for "real" to play in less than a few minutes. So... Overall the game has been revamped, and I really love it. Its more shooter, and more rpg than FO3 was. I give it a 10/10 because this just perfected what FO3 tried to achieve, the perfect fallout world. Expand
  19. Oct 21, 2010
    Finally the true Fallout 3 arrives. Thankfully for PC users we got the patch for bug fixes pushed out almost immediately, thus far I've encountered no issues playing the game-other than the compulsive need to continue playing long into the night. Fans can scoop up this game assured you'll be getting a wonderful game complete with all the dark humor, entertaining dialogue and pop culture references that have been staples of the franchise. Obsidian has crafted their first excellent game, something long overdue for such a talented but underutilized studio. Expand
  20. Oct 24, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is hands down the best game of the year. Surpassing FO3 in all aspects. The New Vegas world is much more interactive and better made than the FO3's world. The graphic were only slightly improved but the great amount in the game you cannot blame them for not giving the game a major makeover. The new game play aspects are amazing such as hardcore mode, the revamp of the workbench and campfires. Yes there are quite a few bugs but nothing as disastrous as the major glitches in FO3. Definitely worth the time! Expand
  21. Oct 25, 2010
    This is an excellent game, unfortunately marred by so many technical problems at launch it was ruined for many PC gamers. My review score ignores all the technical problems, and there is a lot. Be warned that you will likely have extremely poor performance and other technical issues galore. If you aren't up for some forum searching, tweaking and waiting for patches, don't bother buying the PC version. Basically if you loved Fallout 3, you'll really love this game. The formula hasn't changed much, but the additions to crafting, faction reputations, gun modding, ammo types, survival skills, hardcore mode, improved companion system, etc has improved the experience a lot. Obsidian's excellent storyline and dialog writing improves things further, giving characters and locations more personality and likely drawing more than a few laughs from you as you play. After a few months of patches this game will be the masterpiece everyone hoped it would be out of the box. Expand
  22. Oct 19, 2010
    There is a lack of reviews for this game this morning for some reason so I am posting this to help people out. Keep in mind I did not play for very long but this will give you something. I downloaded last night as pre-load from Steam and played a little before I went to work this morning. The game is similar to F3. Graphics seem a little better than the last game. My settings are Ultra High. I loved F3 but the dismal environment got depressing. The Mojave desert has some green cactus's mixed in and bright colors. This is a welcome change for me and I really like the new look. Weapons can also be modded. I really like this. Dev's said that scopes can be traded out on guns. I saw in pip boy that weapons had a choice to mod but I did not have any mods that early in game. The mods sound similar to Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 which I loved. First person shooting is a good addition I think instead of running away or backing up to rebuild AP. I did not play for very long(~40 minutes) but I did NOT notice long load times, clipping, or game breaking show stoppers such as those described in console reviews. This review is for PC. I understand it is not extensive but I am a little irritated by the lack of main stream reviews and decided to act instead of **** So far the game seems pretty impressive and solid for me. Can't wait to play when I get home.

My system is quad core Phenom 2, 4870 GPU, 8 Gigs RAM, okay quality motherboard. Not trying to show off my system, just posting so you can compare.
  23. Oct 20, 2010
    Autosaves DO work, they are in your FalloutNV folder in My Documents, as a .bak file, just need renaming... give it a try, copy them all and plat around with what is the right one.

Not the ideal solution, but this game is amazing, and this autosave bug is easily rectified
  24. Oct 19, 2010
    Having enjoyed Fallout 3. I expected very much from Fallout New Vegas and it did not disappoint. These two games are similar yes, but not exactly the same. With slight graphical and technical improvements; New Vegas as much to offer for new and returning players. I have not come across any major glitches/bugs that effected my game play, but as well you cannot expect a new release to be 100% bug free. With a vast wasteland at your feet and countless hours to explore. Fallout New Vegas is well-worth its value. Expand
  25. Oct 22, 2010
    The game is very well done considering it's storyline, quests, new features. The only real problem (which in my opinion is exaggerated) is lack of graphic improvement and bugs.

Graphics are already very good to being with, especially considering that fallout 1 and 2 had very bad graphics by modern standards, yet it was quality of storyline and freedom that made people fall in love with
    these games. Thus, in my humble opinion lack of graphics improvement is of a very little importance.

In regard to shooting I have to say that it actually improved in relation to Fallout 3(especially iron sights, which I love.) People who whine about it not being as good as in Call of Duty are forgetting that this is RPG and not a SHOOTER.

I, during my 5 hours of playing had not experienced a single crash, or a major bug. Only common bug I saw in the game was that NPCS would sometime get stuck in some objects
    Also quick saves and auto saves do not work after game is restarted, but I am pretty sure that will be fixed, if not already, very soon. Any other bugs are rare or not annoying.

People who said that game is laggy are crazy. I play on all the highest settings (ultra high, with resolution of 1440x900 or something like that) and I never experienced a lag. My computer stats are Quad 2.4HZ 4GB memory, 260GTX Invidia.

If you are a fan of RPG in any way, this is a must buy.
  26. Oct 23, 2010
    I will just say one thing to those people who are talking crap about this brilliant game. I am a big fan of Fallout franchise and this one is also a masterpiece in this franchise. Yes i admit one thing the graphics are not good but if you just look at graphics then u can't be a gamer. If u really are a gamer then just stick to the gameplay. And plzzz don't talk any other crap about this brilliant game plzzz.. Expand
  27. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas has grown in so many ways. Numerous more weapons, voice actors, skins, apparel, and factions to side with. Also, there are numerous new ways to advance your character past the old kill, pick, hack, coerce, complete quest experience gain. Now there are challenges to complete that sometimes supply a new perk, two extra traits to choose during character creation, and even the choice of your companion can offer a perk (Ex. Boone's Spotter perk). Hardcore mode does not seem as hardcore as it could, as you can easily find food, water, and a place to sleep, and making the stimpaks and radaways tick per second only causes a few retries on the tougher encounters. At launch many people had saving issues which is a nightmare for those who lost and couldn't find their many hours of game data, though the manual save feature has and still does work. Graphics seem improved due to the amount of what is to be seen on the screen during larger battles and the entry of New Vegas Strip. The decisions of the player make for a different ending each time, but once you complete the main story line, do not expect to continue on unless you have an old save file. New Vegas has proved to be an impressive title that lives up to most of its fans expectations. Expand
  28. Oct 25, 2010
    Lots of bunk little reviews on here - scores of 2 and 3, you people should get a bit of a grip. Truth is: FNV isn't perfect. But as many have said, it is the game FO3 should have been. Although the map is smaller, the world just feels so much more alive, for a large part because of the factions fighting amongst themselves. FO3 was a great sandbox game, but FNV is simply better: the combat feels more balanced, hardcore mode turns a shooter with RPG edge into an RPG with a shooter edge. The music is great. The graphics aren't great, but they're more than up to task of drawing you in. VATS is as great as ever, but it's good that crits drop you into slo-mo outside of VATS now too. Melee weapons are a lot more fun. But most importantly: the quests, the world and the dialog are a lot more believable and enjoyable than FO3's. If you enjoyed FO3, consider that a trial run and just get FNV, You'll love it. If you didn't like FO3, I'm not sure this will convince you. But at the end of the day, this is simply one of the best RPG's available on PC. Expand
  29. Oct 30, 2010
    This game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it a different feel than aforementioned FO3. If you liked #3, there's a very good chance you'll enjoy New Vegas. That is all. Expand
  30. Dec 1, 2011
    At first, i was thinking this game is a joke. then as i continued on with this game it was AMAZING. This is DEFINATELY for SERIOUS GAMERS like myself. And the best thing is, once you finish the great storyline, you can easily mod it. Fallout New Vegas is like a completely different game when you use mods. This game kept me playing for around 350 hours and i would say that NOT ONE OF THEM FEEL LIKE THEY ARE WASTED. I would highly recommend this for SERIOUS GAMERS, and advise casual gamers, Posers, begginners and kids to stay away from this awesome game. Expand
  31. Oct 19, 2010
    Awesome game! A lots of graphic improvements ... The audio is beautiful...
    Dont have the fallout 3 bugs... Now i cant minimize the game without crash it!
    The history takes your attention for hours!
    Recommended!
  32. Nov 3, 2010
    A good game is memorable but a great game makes you feel as though you've fallen in love for the first time all over again. Fallout: New Vegas is nothing short of greatness.

I would easily have rated it 10 if it didn't ship with so many frustrating bugs. However, don't let it be said that the bugs diminish the amazing and liberally nostalgic post-apocalyptic experience waiting for you
    in any significant way and really, there's nothing that can't be fixed in the upcoming patch.

From the moment I pre-ordered New Vegas to the moment my character stepped into the Wasteland, I thought that this would be just another Bethesda RPG, its only redeeming quality being Obsidian behind it. I had modest expectations which in no way prepared me for one of the most immersive and enjoyable gaming experiences in years.

Fallout: New Vegas flows in the same prestigious blue-blooded vein as much-loved RPGs from the 90's. It is an instant classic, it is true to the original Fallout games, it is an appreciation of everything that gave the original games their cult-following: choice, consequence, a dark believable atmosphere, timeless humour and memorable companions.

Hardcore mode enhances the sense of immersion and is a wonderful addition to the gameplay. The plot-line is just a driving force that keeps you heading in the right direction but is in no way the only interesting thing to see or do in the Mojave. It doesn't overpower the experience nor does it come short of delivering a well-balanced and brilliantly thought-out plot.

Hearing nostalgic snippets of the original games, like the name of Tandi, Shady Sands, seeing Marcus again, mention of The Master. This is the true, honest-to-goodness, thoroughbred successor of Fallout 1 and 2.

I believe that Tim Cain will be proud.

Thank you, Obsidian, for giving me a truly memorable and enjoyable experience. I sincerely hope you work on future Fallout games as well--you've put Bethesda to shame :)
  33. Oct 20, 2010
    I will keep this very short; There are bugs and slow downs on older systems. In terms of the gaming experience, I like the whole idea of scrounging in Post-Apocalypse and being able to craft your own gear, gadgets, mods, etc. I felt the npc interactions felt less generic and robotic than other games; char. creation with Doc Mitchell, and the "tutorial" with Sunny are good examples. This won't be for everyone, but I'm loving it so far. Too bad limit demos are a thing of the past. Anyone old enough to remember playing the first chapter of Doom for free? Expand
  34. Oct 26, 2010
    Why do i get the feeling i just paid $100 dollars to run Beta for a large gaming production? I paid this money so that i can put a disk in my PC load on a game and float away in an imaginary world, instead im stuck patching this, installing a lost .dll file, changing a wordpad doc while clapping my heads and spinning around backwards saying i got suckered by a large game production company. EPIC FAIL. As faithfull as i am still to this game, me and all of those having these problems shouldt be put through this.. i didint pay 'Beth' money so that i can read up forums and fix the game myself!! Expand
  35. Nov 3, 2010
    To simply put it is amazing, idk what derpderpderp is talking about, the graphics are nice, shooting mechanics are great. Simple, no long review, my review is in the number!
  36. Nov 3, 2010
    It's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopes that actually work, making sniping and reconnaissance viable (and advantageous!). The engine is showing it's age and the radio feature didn't seem as good as FO3 as well. There is also less humour, which does seem strange since this is supposedly by a team with a lot of Black Isle members. However it's still good, and a welcome fresh twist on the original FO3. Expand
  37. Mar 11, 2011
    The DLC hasn't been worth it and there are some pacing issues (but that happens with most of Beth's games), but this is the best open world sandbox RPG out there. Between an amazingly active community of mod makers at nexus and a great base game it's a must play. Also, the price is starting to drop - so now's the time to give it a try.
  38. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is just simply amazing, I can not just tell you how good this game is! The content and easter eggs are AMAZING in this game. If anyone says they don't like this game all I can say is that they're not SERIOUS GAMERS, you can't be a beginner or a kid to play this game. The best part about this game is - once you've turned the game inside and out you can get mods and then its a WHOLE NEW GAME!!!!! Expand
  39. Nov 5, 2010
    If you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw a scorpion clipped through the ground trying to attack me. There are invisible walls everywhere, so that little hill you want to get over is impossible, I don't understand this design choice for an open world environment. You rely much less on vats due to less volatile movements and improved aiming. The special system seemed to be much more important as each attribute has its pros and cons and played in more during conversations. the skills have much more diverse uses, expect finding practical uses for repair and medicine. The worst part however is this amounts to a reskin of fallout 3. While new weapons and enemies keep it fresh, combat is the same and many places seem familiar. If you enjoyed fallout 3, be prepared to be drawn into a new world along with a few hiccups here and there. Expand
  40. Nov 1, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is without a single doubt, a contender for the best game of 2010. Why? Because it is an absolutely astonishing game.

On the surface, it looks very similar to Fallout 3, and you would be correct in thinking that, for the most part. However, when you begin the bigger quests, explore a bit more, and turn on 'Hardcore mode' (more on that later) you realise this is totally
    different. The story is very good, with a choice of 4 endings as well, you can be sure the game plays out a different way when you replay and fight for a different faction. The map seems smaller than in Fallout 3, especially because at least a quarter of the map is sealed off by cliffs. However, this doesn't matter, as each location is interesting to visit, the majority having a quest to go with it, loot, or NPC's to talk to. The action has been revamped as well, allowing V.A.T.S, and having 'true aim' - something Fallout 3 desperatly needed. The graphics are still nice, especially seeing the Strip of New Vegas lighting up the night sky. While Fallout 3 was possible of this, the environment is not just ruins and rubble, allowing for nice variety.

The aforementioned 'Hardcore mode' is a welcome, and optional addition. What it does is introduce aspects like dehydration, hunger, needing sleep, and needing proper medical attention when crippled. This doesn't make the game that much harder than what it can be already, but does make the experience richer when turned on.

A lot of reviews are damning this game purely on the bugs, glitches and problems. This game does have some bugs - but as did Fallout 3. Most of these are fixed with a reload however, and are not as big a problem as people claim. The one thing I will mention though - my computer is more than powerful enough for this game, a 2.93GHZ Quad Core, 4GB of RAM and an Nvidia 295GTX, running on a 64bit version of 7. The performance is very bad when a lot of people appear on screen, and the larger battles become difficult. I feel this is due to having a 64bit system, as my old install with far older hardware had no problems whatso-ever in Fallout 3. This is a big issue - and Obsidian need to fix this as soon as possible.

In closing, the problems in this game are completely dwarfed by what it does right - providing 30+ hours of RPG bliss, and is an absolute essential for any gamer.
  41. Nov 16, 2010
    This is an update of my previous review. The score has been adjusted upward from 8/10 to 9/10.

Atmosphere. Atmosphere never changes, and it's everywhere in Fallout: New Vegas. The game literally drips with ambiance, clever plots, and interesting characters. In many ways, F:NV is the sequel that FO3 should have been, with much tighter writing and plenty of the series' trademark black
    humor. I've been continually impressed with the actual fun factor of the game. There are no cookie cutter quests, no boring grinds. Every task is unique. Also, the sheer extremism of some of the factions can provoke a visceral reaction. You'll understand what I mean after a few brushes with the men in skirts. This is a true RPG with plenty of meat to its bones, but also a heavily tactical shooter that demands specialization and punishes hesitation. In short, the gameplay absolutely rocks. So why isn't it a ten? A handful of reasons, most of them regarding the aging Gamebryo engine. To note, the Facegen and DirectX problems that plagued earlier versions have finally been fixed, and the majority of players can now have a smooth Wasteland experience! Kudos to Bethesda, although they should have taken care of these issues pre-release.

Loading stutters will still happen, even on high end machines. AI behavior can be downright goofy (sometimes intentionally). The graphics are noticeably dated, although still pretty. There isn't a great deal of musical variety on the radios, although incredible mods like CONELRAD and Existence 2.0 rectify this situation quite nicely. There are a whole host of minor flaws and little bugs that mar the experience. Despite this, it is an amazing game and well worth the caps... err... cash.

The only reason I would not recommend this is if you don't like the post-apocalyptic genre in general or the Fallout series in particular. Otherwise, pony up and get ready for Vegas.
  42. Nov 3, 2010
    Who ever sais that new vegas is a bad Bugged game then u either dont update or have a bad computer.
    Im a huge fan of the fallout series and they are awsome rpg's. I admit it's alot like F3 and could have been named a complete expansion, but the mods and new ammo along with gambling really gave it a different feel. Even with a phew moments of scratching your head seeing an npc walking
    above the ground or stuck outside the map bethesda/obsidian has made a game of great proportions. Expand
  43. Nov 3, 2010
    Another great game from Bethesda! A lot of improvement since Fallout 3, a really long and intense playtrough with a bunch of side quest.
    The story is more open ended (like Fallout and Fallout 2) than Fallout 3, and reintroduce the reputation system.
    Of course, the PC version maintain the community modding feature... the secret of success of Bethesda games.

Hope to see soon some quality
    DLC... maybe like Point Lookout.
    Like I've already say this game is great, and have the potential to improve even more with Mods and DLC.
  44. Nov 3, 2010
    This game is what I had hoped it would be and more. I loved Fallout 3 but I hated the persistent crashes. So far, FONV has run without a hitch. There is definitely improvements on the user-interface. The story and dialogue are outstanding....and it's gangster noir western, via the Vegas backdrop, is awesome. If you loved FO3 and Las Vegas, then you will probably love FONV. Obsidian has earned my respect after the NWN2 debacle. Cheers!!! Expand
  45. Nov 7, 2010
    Worthy follow up to fallout 3. You'll never find a game that gives you more freedom than this. Minor bugs and glitches are all excused. To give an idea of what you are free to do, someone completed the whole without killing any people or animals! Took him a 70 hours run though hehe.
  46. Nov 9, 2010
    I've been playing this for a week now and I can safely say that this is my game of the year. Better in every imaginable way than Fallout 3, if you think FO3 is just "OK" or above you owe it to yourself to buy this game. Fantastic job by Obsidian. There are some technical issues but again, much less and not so severe as in FO3. All in all a nearly perfect game that can only get better (by official patches/DLCs and the very active mod community) Expand
  47. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome! Another great job by the guys and gals at Obsidian. Thanks a bunch for an excellent game! Just getting started but I love all that I've seen so far.
  48. Jov
    Nov 9, 2010
    To preface, I'm a fan of The Elder Scrolls series (though I've grown distaste for Bethesda as a company in the past few years), and thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3. I'm also a bit of a mature gamer.

I am loving New Vegas. I feel it is an improvement/refinement of Fallout 3 in every way. The difficulty (at Hard/Hardcore mode) is sufficient. The wasteland feels a bit more empty this time
    around (less enemies), but this also feels more realistic.

One of the things I actually like, is the main quest feels a lot less prominent than almost any game I've played. There is obviously a primary quest, but once you reach a certain point the game doesn't forcefeed you motivation to complete it. It's just there. The game truly feels like an open world, and it a pretty genuine one, at that.

The weapons are cool, and the weapon mods are a great addition. They are expensive; Giving you something to spend your heaps of money on, which Bethesda has never been so great at. The armor and weapons are also pricey, they are tempting, but I've held off on buying any.

The bugs are very minor to me. The only one that I have really had a problem with is the save corruption bug, but that is avoidable so long as you avoid the Come Fly With Me quest, and avoid Vault 34 (?). So, having skirted one quest and all vaults, I've had a more or less bug-free experience.

This game is great fun, with lots of unnecessary dialogue that serves purely to enrich the game world, with much better voice acting than Bethesda ever accomplished. I'm more than satisfied with Obsidian, and wouldn't mind if they made TES:V, because I think Bethesda is losing their touch.
  49. Apr 24, 2011
    Probably the best game I've ever played. I enjoyed myself A TON playing this game. When it was over I really wanted to play more and was really bummed out. But playing through this game was extremely enjoyable and it was similar to FO3 which I loved. Which most people say is a bad thing, but I think it's great. It was just like fallout 3 with a different story line, which I loved. I don't know what the problem with that is... This game is simply amazing. Expand
  50. Nov 25, 2011
    This game truly reflects on the nature of a rpg. Just because the engine begins to show some age and it can get a little buggy is no reason to hate the beauty of fallout in a way this is better than fallout 3 which was originally my favorite game of all time. It has two modes to select from (Basic, or hardcore) which allows you to see how hard it will really be to survive in a wasteland. The atmosphere is dry and the terrain is jagged and just makes you feel the realness of surviving. That's not the reason I rated this game a 10 though its because it has the best character customization (next to oblivion) It's by far got one of the best first and third person shooter methods I have ever experienced and vats just adds so much unique feelings, from the epic moment you blow off an enemies arm, leg, or head. Or turn someone into ashes or a pool of melted plasma it gives you so much satisfaction that you cant wait to kill the next enemy with the wide variations of weapons. Which brings me to my next point the weapons are perfectly balanced and everyone feels good to hold in your hands the sounds are exquisite and makes you feel like you are shooting a real gun at a real person, or creature. Also the voices are good but not great but the amount of dialogue pays up for it with over 60,000 lines of dialogue which is a record might I remind you. The amount of time and effort put into this game should be appreciated. Also the creatures and the wide amount of them really adds some flavor to the game other than fighting people with guns 24/7 *Ahem*cod. From geckos to deathclaws from cazadors to nightstalkers there are over 40 new creatures not including the dlc. I think this game alone yet a little buggy is beautiful and a game to be reckoned with 10/10 A true rpg masterpiece ~ Snowweed Expand
  51. Nov 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of Fallout 3, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this game. First thing I discovered was that Steam was required. Many people will ***** about steam, but I find it to be very useful in organizing, opening and updating games. The game has a mediocre start- you are brought back to health by this stranger in the town of Goodsprings. Yes, it is the same graphics engine. That is good and bad. One of the good things is that the water still looks wonderful from fallout 3. Also, the sky has been greatly improved, so you can see cloud movement. However, the graphics also work against the game with the occasional glitch you see from distant objects. The factions of the game are wonderful- obviously, the folks at Bethesda and Obsidian thought through how quests for each would interfere with other factions, forcing you to take sides. The game is significantly shorter, but this is balanced out with a number of different endings, based on whether you decide to ally with Mr. House, the NCR, Caesar's Legion, or go alone. Many new types of enemies add new gameplay elements and strategies to how you fight. Many magnificent places such as the Hoover Dam and the Strip add glamor to the not so glorious Mojave wasteland. Many people overlook all the glitches, but there are many great features in the game too, that everyone should explore. And with the PC mod community, you won't have to wait long before people create mods that fill up the completely empty freeside, and add new quests to the wasteland. Expand
  52. Nov 4, 2010
    Simply awesome game! I never really enjoeyd fallout 3, but this is really a blast. On my third playthrough and im still having a great time with all the customization etc. I have hope in the mods as well.

Rated 9/10 and not 10 because of the various glitches (Steam's erasing 5 hours of gameplay, horrible fps without the player fix, dog's eyes out of head, people in the roof/walls, etc,
    mostly not game-breaking) Expand
  53. Nov 6, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas seems to be too close to the previous series, but after a few minutes you understand the striking difference which is altough not enough to reborn Fallout franchise, unfortunately.11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 Expand
  54. Nov 9, 2010
    If you liked Fallout 3, you may very well like Fallout: New Vegas. They have a lot of similarities; the only reason I can't be sure is that I didn't like Fallout 3, so I don't know what it's like to be you.

If you liked Fallout 1 or Fallout 2, you probably hated Fallout 3's hackneyed dialogue writing, awful plot, cookie-cutter characters etc. and expect to hate New Vegas because it'll be
    more of the same. I know *exactly* what that is like. Now that I've completed the game, though, I may definitively state - FNV is *not* more of Fallout 3. This game is what fans of the real Fallout games have been waiting for. The game is a big fat diamond covered in **** Most of the **** is Bethesda's perennially buggy engine, topped with a generous helping of rushed-release-belying content bugs. Extra stink is added in the form of very inconsistent voice acting - some is brilliant (Primm Slim, Benny), while some is inexcusably bad, with cases of actors clearly not understanding the semantics of the line they're reading, or obviously-Caucasian characters having obviously-African-American voice actors and vice versa. I began to dread encountering a similar mix-up but with the genders reversed; thankfully I never did.

All that said, I don't think I'd turn down a diamond covered in **** if it were offered to me just because it was covered in **** and neither should you. The game is visually limited to reusing a lot of Bethesda content, but all the new art was clearly made by people who understand what the Fallout aesthetic is supposed to be like. FNV's dialogue hearkens back to the games that made the series great, exposing Fallout 3's writers for the intellectual midgets they are, and the game's plotting is compelling (for an epic hero story, which all modern RPG's seemingly must be) and flows well. You will not be left asking yourself why an incredibly obvious solution to a problem was not possible in the game; the game's factions range from darkly humorous to just dark, but they (and their actions) all make sense in context. The game allows actual choice (not merely the illusion thereof) in the player's approaches to problem-solving, and does not exhibit Press Blue To Win Syndrome. For those who didn't play Mass Effect 2, what I mean to say is that many choices have real consequences in that they are mutually exclusive - you cannot consistently have your cake and eat it too.
  55. Mar 1, 2011
    I will be completely honest. Without the mod community this game wouldn't be so great. I played FO3 when it got released and was amazed by the game. When I discovered all these mods that came out I was very impressed with all the work that's been done. Same with New Vegas. The game itself is very enjoyable if you can tolerate the inevitable bugs that come with most Bethesda games. The various additions such as iron sights and hardcore mode are sure to please many role players out there. And the mods that the community has made for NV are more than excellent, adding immersion and additional features to the game without making it appear as a stretched-out obvious ugly modded remake of the original. You get completely used to the mods after a while, and you don't want to play the game without them. The mods are sure to cover 90% of the stuff you don't like in the unmodified game.
    Still, you can't exactly treat it as "the next fallout game" because of its similarities to the previous game. But, if the previous game was so good, I'm ok with not changing it this once.
  56. Jul 5, 2013
    While I found it to be buggy (I'd go as far as to say it's one of the buggiest AAA titles I've ever played) and it's atmosphere is a bit conflicting with it's spaghetti western/Mafia/Vegas type mood, I have to say this may be one of the best RPG's of this generation. The way you can interact with followers is such a massive improvement, the more factions are more interesting, the mechanics have been improved. Heck, we even got the classic Fallout lore back. It may be a tad different than it's predecessor, but it's still worth the price. Expand
  57. Nov 10, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas plays like Fallout 3 and feels like Fallout 2. Fallout games have been in my top 5 since it first came out. I love the atmosphere the games create. The landscape it puts you in. The non-linear gameplay it presents. The humor and pop-culture references. The stories they create. New Vegas is another great addition to the Fallout universe. There are a lot of tie-ins in the game with the original Fallout games. It builds on the lore and stories of the world without bogging down the main story for new players with it. The atmosphere is just as good as previous ones. It was a wonderful surprise to hear the same ambient music from Fallout 2. The acting was great, especially with being reminded of Dave Foley when you first hear the Yes Man. (and later I found out it was actually Dave Foley voicing him). The story was great, and realistic considering the setting. But like all Fallout games, the best stories are the ones you create for yourself. Those little adventures off the main path, to explore that cave or abandoned shack you see in the distance or those gun shots you heard from just over the hill. It should please old fans greatly and appeal to new fans as much as Fallout 3 did.

Cons: - The graphics are ok, but this almost being 2011, should be a little better. I would expect them to improve in the next Fallout game.
    - For some reason I really really wanted MORE music on the radio stations. It didn't seem like they had enough this time around. But it was still great voice acting!
    - Hardcore mode doesn't seem to be hardcore enough. But a wonderful addition nonetheless!
    - I don't understand why you can't fully rotate the camera.
    - Invisible walls. There are a lot more of then in New Vegas then Fallout 3. I explore a lot, and when I can't go over a 4 foot high hill due to an invisible wall, that is really really really really disappointing and take you out of the experience. Then you have to walk around it.. there's no excuse for this in today's games, but a lot of games STILL have that. New Vegas, more so then others.
    - The bugs that everyone is apparently having is sure a downer. If anything that's staying true to the Fallout franchise. Every Fallout game was loaded with bugs on release. Fallout 2 even had a community patch to fix most of them. This is nothing new in the video game world. I however did not experience any "game ending" bugs. Out of the 80 some hours I put into it, its crashed once. And I had 1 buggy quest that I had to use the console command to fix, since I seemingly did it out of order. And that's it.

If anyone wants a wild theory as to why my game is preforming so much better then others with almost no bugs, maybe its because I have a weird need to open the door to every bathroom stall I come across? Just a theory that holds as much weight as some of the complaints for this game.

I was however impressed with how fast patches started to come out of the game. The day after release was a major patch even. So people who are giving it a bad review for the bugs, let me ask you this, would you give it a better review if you played it, say a month after release? I can't see how you would not.
  58. Nov 11, 2010
    Ah, Fallout. A wonderful world, and always great to return to. This time around, with Obsidian developing it, things are looking up. For one, the story is better. While similar in parts, this time you get to chose who the "bad guy" can be (as compared to Fallout 3's Enclave being the certified enemies). This also falls in place with the Reputation system, which is very nice, although a bit annoying at some parts. You can now go around and get the worst karma, but as long as members of same faction don't know about it, then they will simply treat you the same. Its very nice, although it seems like you can quickly get a bad reputation with any faction very quickly, and will hopefully be fixed in future patches. Weapon mods are also in, however so far they don't seem to make a huge difference. The real winner for this game is the sheer amount of stuff packed into this world. So many quests, side quests, choices, companions, minigames, and they all seem to have different objectives. Another wonderful aspect is while violence is always acceptable, there are a lot more choices for dialogue, sneaking, and alternative methods to finish quests that, in Fallout 3, would probably end in a bloody shootout. One of the best games of the year, in my opinion, and deserves RPG of the Year, if not Game of the Year. Expand
  59. Mar 15, 2012
    Purchased New Vegas on release day via Steam, after having tremdous fun with Fallout 3. New Vegas expanded on the Fallout 3 universe quite nicely with a lot of extra features and interesting content which allowed for a lot of game play time if you allow yourself to do all the side quests and achievements.

I found the game to be very immersive, if a litle buggy (which is the reason I'm
    giving it an 8) however, the game was patched promtly after release and supported for a while after.

All in all, a great game and one of my favourites of 2010.
  60. Dec 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played this game for 55 hours thus far. My game has crashed about 4 times, and I have had only a handful of minor bugs. I am thankful for this, since most reviews seem to focus in on how many bugs there are, and I've been able to enjoy this game pretty much unimpeded.

And what a joy it's been. This game takes a lot from Fallout 3, but I'm fed up of the amount people focus on the engine. This is a lot more than an 'expansion pack's worth, tons of new weapons, new game systems, whole new story, a map BIGGER than the original, gambling games, new perks, new companions. As far as I see it, that's the meat of a Fallout game. I play Fallout because of its awesome story, immersion and beautiful locations.
    And let me tell you, despite low-resolution textures, clipping and a host of graphical shortcomings, it still manages to look beautiful when you look into the distance, especially when you see New Vegas and other massive structures.

But I'll tell you the main reason this game is awesome. Factions. Nobody has any excuse to ignore the sidequests in this game, because while you CAN do that and still complete the main quest, you'd be doing it the most uninteresting way. Obsidian have fantastically tied in all the factions' sidequests (and let me tell you, after 55 hours I still haven't completed them) to the main story, which gives you an excuse to go round the Mojave doing just about everything to set up your perfect finale.

If I had to nitpick, I'd wish that the Legion showed off Caesar's views a bit more. After speaking to the head honcho, it's obvious that he has some interesting ideals. However, none of these are expressed by anyone else at any other point in the Legion. Everyone else in his force makes it look like a big, savage tribe (which technically it is, but Caesar claims he is trying to be like the Romans).

In essence, the story of this game is much stronger than Fallout 3's, but since it borrows a lot from Fallout 3's engine through models, textures, lore and even voicework, it lacks the punch Fallout 3 had. Thus I would put it on a par in my books. And hell, that's a good par, because I gave it a 10 :P.
    Just be patient you who are moaning about books and too much similarity, get immersed in the game and it'll reward you in kind.
  61. Nov 11, 2010
    First of all, this game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda. Obsidian, a.k.a Black Isle has an impressive resume which includes Baldur's Gate 2. This is not Fallout 3. The game engine is the same, as well as the interface and the combat system, but the voice acting, dialogue and sheer volume of quests surpasses Fallout 3 in any way. If you're looking for something 100% revolutionary. If you did not like Fallout 3 at all, or found Fallout 3 to be a mediocre game, you might be better off skipping New Vegas.

But, if you even kind of liked Fallout 3, NV is worth picking up. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I'm not a huge fan. New Vegas blew me away and continues to impress me every time I pick it up.
  62. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  63. Dec 26, 2010
    Old engine.. lots of bugs.. but if you are like me and loved the first two that doesnt hold this game back. Bravo. now for some more characters so this can go up. fdsasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasaasdfsadfsadfsafsdafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa
  64. Feb 7, 2011
    Don't listen to all the people who talk trash about bugs. Yes at launch the game had serious bugs, however most of them are fixed. The game took the main ideas of Fallout 3 and ran with them. The result is one of the best RPG games of 2010. If you loved Fallout 3 go get this game. However If you want to hate just save your money.
  65. Mar 23, 2011
    It's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupid crap of fighting over the only working water purifier for no other reason than "no you can't have it because you are evil I think". Expand
  66. Feb 13, 2012
    Underrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very different beast inside a familiar skin.

And yes, this game is very buggy. Moreso than skrim, oblivion, and fallout 3. However I had far too much immersion fun and memorable moments to let the crashes and glitches affect my play. Some people ditch a game when it locks up on them a few times. They have every right to have that stance, however that's the price you pay. And it's a price that reduces the score from 10/10 to 9/10. So not that much of a price.
  67. Apr 23, 2011
    Good all around game. I even have to play it on low settings at the moment until i get my new graphics card, but even at low settings it is a great game!
  68. Apr 25, 2011
    The game is just great. It's what Fallout 3 should have been. The real Fallout 3 as a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. West Coast, Nevada, bright sun of the Mojave desert. It's great to see NCR, Followers, Crimson Caravan, Khans and true Brotherhood of Steel, not some fantasy paladins protecting the world. I really love New Vegas. Thanks, Obsidian.
  69. May 2, 2011
    I like Fallout: NV. In my eyes, Bethesda redeemed itself from the previous Fallout: 3 title. More customization, more weapons, more places to explore. I like the faction system, and the faction related choices add much more RPG elements to this game than the previous title. This is the game that I've been waiting for since Fallout 2.
  70. May 16, 2011
    This is THE GAME, and PC is THE PLATFORM to enjoy it. People who deduct the score due to bugs and such really aren't the right people to play this game to begin with; It's a faulty game, but if you look past the flaws and immerse yourself, you find that this game is one of the best things you can play. People who call this game "simplified" or "linear" don't know what they are talking about. Did they just follow the main quest line to the end and then sit down to review the game? WHO does that with a Fallout game??? It's exploration and freedom that makes Fallout 3/New Vegas great! It stands out amongst linear games like COD! But it's still not a sandbox experience, because those are usually about messing around and having fun. Sure, if you want to do that then New Vegas can deliver. Big time. But where it truly shines is in it's immersion. I wasted over 150 hours playing Fallout 3, on a single character. I've wasted about 70 on New Vegas so far, and I can already see that it is superior in every way - It's more balanced, brings more content and more freedom. Instead of just the Good, Neutral and Evil path, the lines are so much more blurred, and if you're immersed, then you will reflect heavily on your choices. Dialogues are better, visuals are better and aspects like morality, economics and difficulty are all improved. Overpowering is thankfully reduced, thanks to higher difficulty without more XP, tougher enemies, rarer weapons etc. BOTTOM LINE: If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this as long as you're not expecting HUGE improvements (though they feel huge to me who is crazy about the games). Those who do, well, I think they should save their money and expectations for Fallout 4. That better bring some big improvements... But as for now, New Vegas is the best first person Fallout experience out there. Go play it. Expand
  71. Oct 26, 2011
    Anyone who thinks that Bethesda's attempt at a Fallout game even approaches Obsidian's revival of the series would probably hate the original games that made it so iconic in the first place. While Fallout 3 was shallower than the average puddle, with few really meaningful choices to be made in the world, next to no fleshing out of characters, and several complete breaks from the established Fallout universe, New Vegas goes a lot of the way to repairing these faults. The game is superbly written and the player must think their actions through carefully because here, they really do mean something. Saying the wrong thing at an early stage can influence the game in ways seldom seen in any title released since the original games. The world is more alive than that of Fallout 3, with an endless list of things to do and see and a plethora of characters who each have their own story to tell. I've put just shy of 200 hours into the game so far and I'd hazard a guess I've experienced maybe half of what it has to offer at most. There is colour, and it's not green like Fallout 3 - the purple of the evening sky, the green of struggling crops, the rainbow neons of the Strip all add up to make the game feel alive. This is a true Fallout game, not a watered-down attempt to try and hook in players without the patience required for a series with so much depth. I do have to dock some points for the engine; Gamebryo continues to be buggy, clunky, and generally a bad choice for pretty much any given purpose. The Strip and New Vegas itself are miniscule, presumably due to engine constraints, and while the world is much more lively that Fallout 3's, there are still a lot of areas which hint at much greater, but unrealised, aspirations. Despite being hamstrung by its engine, however, the game offers a rich experience through its story, its characters, and its gameplay. Definitely worth buying; I can now pretend Fallout 3 didn't happen. Expand
  72. Jun 29, 2011
    Finally a proper Fallout game
    New Vegas is everything that Fallout 3 should have been from the start, it's actually an RPG.
    Shame the Fallout fanbase has been forever stained by Fallout 3 kiddies who only want to run around and blow up Mutants, and are unable to appreciate a true RPG
  73. Dec 30, 2011
    New Vegas is an awesome game. The storyline is much improved over Fallout 3's, though the setting at times feels less 'post-apocalyptic' and more 'wild west with the occasional laser gun'. Modding/crafting is greatly improved and to me, it feels like there really is no useless skill. With the DLC expansions and a large and active modding community, you can easily sink a hundred hours into this game. My main complaint is that a Legion-oriented playthrough is significantly shorter than any other playthrough, and that there are still some annoying bugs present. Expand
  74. Jul 22, 2011
    Alongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack and Hardcore Mode made me feel I was playing the original games again, enter severe nostalgia. I found F:NV incredibly hard to put down, absorbing and so bloody addictive (142 hours currently logged on Steam). Expand
  75. Jun 18, 2012
    The game lacks some of the iconic set pieces of FO3, but in every other way surpasses the original. This includes the four DLC, which combine to form their own unique, compelling story. Be sure to purchase the GOTY edition for the full experience. Props to Obsidian and props to Bethesda for handing the reins back to the franchise's creators.

It would get full marks alone for the
    merciful lack of metro tunnels. Expand
  76. Dec 9, 2011
    I played the hole game in 60h, took me a month but it was worth it. The game is simply great with a huge map to explore and the DLCs add even more to it. The graphics are great for a game like this and its engine runs very smooth dispite the glicths and bugs which its is major downside. Also the save something doesnt load which can ruin certain people´s games but i recommend everyone who like adventure to try it. Expand
  77. Nov 29, 2011
    One of the absolute best open-world RPGs out there, which has quickly reached cult-status amongst the more serious segment of the computer RPG community. The sheer level of variables, mutability and branches within this game and its engrossing story is simply mind-boggling. It's a triumph to good storytelling and, more importantly, the sheer magic and power that lies in immersion and activation of the human imagination. Having bought this game upon release, I literally only encountered one bug related to one single quest during a total of 103 hours of playtime. While I won't preclude that some bugs might occur - the game's size and mutability considered, I've just seen the tip of the iceberg - I have yet to discover them. Oh, and yeah... the atmosphere is amazing. Post-apocalyptic society has never been more interesting, more vicious, more humorous, more gory and more fun than this. Play it for the atmosphere. Play it for the story. For the sheer fun of littering the Mojave Wasteland with bodyparts while humming the catchy tunes of Marty Robbins' Big Iron and other Gunslinger ballads. Play it because it is probably one of the greatest monuments to the possibilities of computer games, and one of the most compelling RPG's ever made. Expand
  78. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is perfect shooter. I really like the open world. It is nice that all the basics are all ready known by playing fallout 3. Although I expected to get bored by this sequel I was much more entertained by New Vegas compared to the original game and played it for a long time and really enjoyed it. So full points rate on my name!
  79. Nov 23, 2011
    I am aserious gamer, i do not care about beaty, i care about seriousness. I have just completed a play through, it is a good game, not great, but with a few mods, it is LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME!!!
  80. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is awesome problems first, BUGS there are a few bugs with the dlc and the game, also weapons are a bit lacking in feel, also needs more big cities. Thats all the bad i am not kidding its too post apocalyptic rpg like, the good, dozens of interesting side quests (unlike fo3), do whatever the you want not kidding you can do 1 mission then go run away and never do the story for THOUSANDS of hours, the characters are amazingly detailed, the cities feel unique, you feel like a good person if you have good karma and a maniac if you have low karma. The lore is followed well unlike fo3 with the half assed explanation of the super mutants. Did i not give you enough motivation to buy this game. Also this is my second favorite game ever first being Stalker SoC but thats only fun for a small crowd, and 3rd bioshock infinite. BUY NOW WITH DLC YOU WILL NOT REGRET ANYTHING Expand
  81. Jun 18, 2012
    The sequel to Fallout 2 I´ve been waiting for over a decade. It has taken 140 hours of my life. The interaction between factions, the meaningful characters, the improved dialog system, the way it really allows for different styles of play, makes it a brilliant game. An experience, more than a game.
  82. Jul 9, 2012
    This game is brilliantly done. Its one fot he few games i have know that has high replay value and actual roleplaying experience. So many times i have played the game and been floored by just doing soemthing a lil bit different or taking or saying a different thing there then having soemthing new to experience. Its amazing. Normally a game lets u have a lilbit of choices but they all end the same way, this game u do have that in a way but so many situations has so many different outcomes, itsa physical difference. Also right now is a great time to play, its a bethesda game and it shows bethesda did not do proper QA when game was released but obsidian has doen a great job getting rid of alot of the bugs and gliches. The world is immense, so many different factions to join, u have choices and consequences which gives reason to replay game over and over. The DLCs were brilliantly done. Each DLC having a different overtone and moral, but the story and amount of depth charectors have. Also it shows that they worked hard to rebalance everythign in the game to fit as well. Amazing game, and i dare say the newest Morrowind quality game to date. Expand
  83. Sep 17, 2012
    Let me just start by listing some of the many reasons why New Vegas is better than Fallout 3.
    1. The ability to modify your weapons
    2. A far wider array of factions
    3. A far wider array of companions
    4. A more interesting and immersive atmosphere i.e(not just ruined buildings as far as you can see)
    5. Hardcore Mode(Need I say more?)
  84. Oct 5, 2012
    I just dont get the insane claims that this game is that much better or worse that Fallout 3. Nor can I see that the 2 recent games are so bad or such an insult to the SACRED memories of Fallouts 1 & 2. This game is, like Fallout 3. And you can actually play either or both of them without the other game suffering for it. Its a glorious, huge wastelannd again, and unlike Skyrim, its full of great writing, interesting NPCs and great plots and stories. The UI is great. Character progression is great. Itemisation is awesome. There are so many different, enjoyable skill sets, weapon load out and play options that this game can be repyed numreous times and enjoyed all the way. A MASTERPIECE. Up there witht the best games ever! Brilliant game design! Expand
  85. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is awesome I put 360 hours into this game. This is fantastic I've never felt more free in a game! From the get go you can go wherever and do whatever you like. You don't like the way he talks? he sounds too king in a scary world? No it's not invincible like in many other games they make characters invincible but not this game... However there are repercussions for your actions. This is what I love about the FO genre, Obsidian and Bethesda don't create the game around a linear story line /characters, what they do is they create a game that the player can play how they want to play it. Now they still have a story line so if you want to hear the whole story it's kind of linear in that sense. I never beat the game though and I didn't have to in order to enjoy it.. How did I enjoy it? Exploring, character progression, different play styles Melee weapons, fisted weapons, Energy weapons, bullet weapons, Sniper, Vats, I'm sure I'm missing something here this is just the top of my head. There are random events, random loot sacks from other (NPC) adventurers. Theres gore! which in my opinion adds a lot to the game, it adds to the awesomeness of the weaponry. I'd say in total there are probably around 150 total weapons give or take a couple, but there are different types of ammo in the game and this changes the damage, the feel, the look of the projectiles and the slow-mo cam destruction of the creature. This keeps the games combat feeling fresh. Going back to what I said earlier though about the game feeling free to do what you want. The NPC's react towards your decision making, unlike in many other FPS/RPG where many characters are invulnerable, killing NPC's in the game has a reaction from others this opens so much possibilities!!! It's like real life it's so complex!

There are down sides to this game though....you may never enjoy another RPG or shooter again! Seriously I can't play half life, the weapons bore me, no exploration, no secret stashes, all hand holding. I might've liked this type of style of shooter if I didn't play FallOut, I can't play Far Cry 3 because I feel like the weapons in the game are being spoon fed to me compared to Fallout where I can barter, loot, and find weapons and sometimes find "unique weapons", in many other RPG/shooters you can't go and play how you want to play it. This is the Fallout curse the only RPG's I can enjoy now are Skyrim and Rage other Bethesda/Obsidian products. Some might interpret it as a bad thing to have this "curse" but it's really not, I just experienced such a good game that other games can't come close. This game is a must have!! I recommend it to everybody who likes open world RPG's/Shooters
  86. Mar 10, 2013
    Finally, a real continuation of Fallout Saga. I know, that it's not the old-school Fallout, but hey... It's a real RPG. Not like Fallout 3. It has all the elements I would need: a massive chose of weaponry, deep story, which coordinates with the first two Fallout games, a real chose of sides and endings, great gameplay, huge world, beautiful DLC. I know RPGs aren't like in the old days, but for now. It's the best of both worlds. Why 10/10? Yeah, I know all those bugs and glitches that piss everyone off, but! The PC version has so many mods all around the internet that will help you solve most of them, if not all! And yes, my graphic-driven friend, there are a LOT of graphic mods also! This game is a holy matrimony for PC players who look for new, yet classic gameplay in RPG style, while still wanting to play a good shooter. Really. It's literally the best of both worlds. Expand
  87. Aug 30, 2013
    If you wanna pass this game with all DLC's you need something like 200 hours and that's beautiful. That happened to me and same can happen to you if you need a good game. This Fallout is just brilliant.
  88. Nov 8, 2013
    Fallout New Vegas is an extraordinary game on the PC. It has an incredible main story line with very well made side quests. The modding capabilities on the PC for this game in particular are amazing; you can find all kinds of lore friendly mods as well as mods that do not even go with the game. All the mods are free at nexusmods.com Aside from the modding capabilities; Fallout New Vegas also has real world weapon designs as well as character customization. Fallout New Vegas is a very old western themed RPG with radio stations to go with that theme. The genres of music that are played go from Big Jazz Bands to Old Style Bluegrass. The genre expands even further with DLC packs. Adding all the DLC pack unlocks unique weapons and armor as well as quests and an expanded genre of music such as Swing Bands. Fallout New Vegas is my absolute favorite RPG game, and I recommend it to people all the time. Share my joy and grab a copy of The Complete Edition. Expand
  89. Aug 3, 2014
    Excellent post-apocalyptic RPG! After disappointing Fallout 3, New Vegas is finally returning the Fallout series to top form of the original classics from the 90's. This is what F3 could have been in the first place, mostly thanks to the work of some of the original Fallout creators. You can really feel they respect and expand the Fallout universe and lore, getting back to some of the legends, characters and even using some of the masterpiece music by Mark Morgan, because they realize this ambient gem is the crucial reason why original Fallout series had such breathtaking post-apo atmosphere, so they bring some of it back. Inon Zur cannot compare to Mark Morgan, but at least you can turn on the in-game radio and listen to the retro or orchestral songs while wandering the Mojave desert, which was one of the highlights of my experience. At first, this might seem like a Fallout 3 v2.0 with a bit of a western influence and I wasn't even too keen on starting playing it after the meh feeling that Fallout 3 left me with, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It might start that way, but it's getting better and better as you progress. This is leagues better than F3 mostly thanks to the fantastic writing, engaging quests, really interesting characters and especially companions, all the different factions you can work for, important choice decisions you have to make and a huge immersive world that I didn't want to leave when I finished the game and that's the best thing you can get from a game. 10/10 Expand
  90. Dec 28, 2013
    Fallout: New Vegas great game!
    I love this game, play days!
    Several do not regret the money spent, keep up the good work! :)
    There are problems but Steam decides everything!
  91. Mar 20, 2014
    The best game ever made with its awesome quests and exploration to its jaw dropping replayability. it also has an extremely active modding community up and going.
  92. Jul 7, 2014
    Fallout 2 stands as one of my favorite games of all time, not to mention one of the best cRPGs ever made. When I heard that Obsidian Entertainment (comprised out of most of the people behind Fallout 2 and some of the developers of the original Fallout) I got giddy with excitement. Then when I realized that it will by published by Bethesda and using their engine I was sad. The reason is that Bethesda are your typical publisher, they don't care about games as works of art, just as products to be sold, this is reflected in both the horrendous Fallout 3, which not only dumbed down Fallout and brought in a load of mouthbreathing amoebas calling themselves "fallout fans" yet they have only played Fallout 3 which stands as the worst game in the franchise.
    Regardless, New Vegas was released, it was a buggy mess on release, this is entirely Bethesda's fault, because it was their end of the contract to handle QA and testing, they failed to deliver on that, while simultaneously giving Obsidian only 18 months to develop a RPG, that's downright satanic.
    But what about the game itself?
    Well, beneath the veneer of fecal matter that is Gamebryo there is an incredibly solid RPG, with varied gameplay, non-linear quests, proper RPG mechanics (unlike Fallout 3), extremely detailed world which fits exactly with the lore of Fallout 1 and 2 (made by the same people after all), which offered interesting moral dilemmas and respected the player enough to not dilute itself into a stupid binary morality children's book that dares to call itself Fallout.
    If you liked Fallout 1 and 2, then New Vegas will appeal to you, maybe not exactly from a gameplay perspective, it is using that terrible engine made by Bethesda after all, but it's plot, quests, characters, locations, world and writing are all outstanding and some of the best the industry has seen to date.
  93. Jun 25, 2014
    Killed a man, his wife, stole his stuff, got a .50 Caliber rifle with Explosive Ammo, gibbed zombies, had sex, gibbed hooker, took over Las Vegas, and was home in time for corn flakes.
  94. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  95. Dec 26, 2010
    I think we should get to the point. If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you will not only enjoy New Vegas, but that you should buy New Vegas for the great changes in game play and atmosphere. The most important change is the amount of factions. Bethesda finally got this right after the brief blunder of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Comparing Fallout 3 to New Vegas is like Oblivion to Morrowind. You do good things for one faction, the other one dislikes you more (lack of price discounts, more negative dialogue). You kill members of a faction, the faction members will try to kill you on sight for now on. It is so important to the RPG element for the ability not only to make personal choices, but the idea that actions may have both positive and negative effects. Why did it take over eight years to implement this again? Expand
  96. Dec 25, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas FNV had some big shoes to fill after Fallout 3 was such a success, but does it accomplish this? Yes and No. FNV has some interesting game play tweaks to make on the framework of F3, but a lot of them don't end up being as useful as you'd they they would be. Weapon modifications, different ammo types, cooking, and gambling; Are just a few of the many different things Obsidian adds to FNV, along with reviving some old mechanics from the original Fallout games.

Features:
    One of the first things to hit you in the face(Not just bullets)is the addition of a hardcore mode in which you'll need to feed your character, have them sleep, and what not. This is a very cool idea in theory, and if you are a player that loves flavor in games, or just wants their games to be as realistic as humanly possible then Hardcore Mode is just for you. For the rest of us there are some problems with the system that make it feel a bit incomplete. Towards beginning of the game, if you are playing Hardcore Mode, it's very hard to find liquid and cap to purchase this liquid, as merchants do run out quite often of water, and detrimental liquids are a plenty. This lead my character to steal a lot of liquid, which then made my character evil or something. At first I was reminded of being an evil character from F3 and the evil things people would say to you, or the gifts they would occasionally give me when my character was good. This is not the case in FNV, as karma plays almost no role, instead people opinions of you are replaced by their Factions feeling towards you.(We will get to factions later.) In Hardcore Mode the required resting of you character also feels like more a chore than anything else. I would find myself in the game wandering across a large open desert, no sights or sounds except the large monsters surrounding, and my character suddenly was reminded that no sleeping was bad. There is ton of ground around my character, why not just lay down and rest on the ground, why is a bed required. The Weapon Modifications in the game are interesting but any of the big fun guns don't have any worth while mods anyways. Ammunition type in FNV is required as there are many foe who simply don't take damage if you don't use Armor Piercing ammo, which again is cool is concept but fails in execution. Quests:
    Unlike F3 where you could scorn the story quests and finish dozens of other quests before anything was required, FNV has tons more story quests coming from everywhere, and each one involves factions. The factions are again a good concept but act as more of a hindrance to the game in the later levels. Some times helping one faction to advance the story makes another factions hate you to the point of killing them on sight. This is because actions towards specific factions influence their opinion of you, from happy, to non-helping, to shoot you on sight. Which makes completing some quests impossible when you accidentally screwed over a certain faction earlier, meaning you will have to give up on that quest or start the game over, as there are very few people who will even give you quests to help increase your reputation with the faction if you have killed one or two members of the faction.

Story:
    The over all story for FNV isn't as much a story as a culmination of events that you know are going to happen from the first 10 minutes of the game. This major event is going to happen regardless of what you do, and you basicly pick a side, do some prep work, and BAM the game is done.The major problem with F3 out of the box was that the last quest in the game finished it, and you couldn't continue to play after it. FNV for some god awful reason didn't fix this and did the same damn thing.

Whats good about the game you may ask? A lot. Everything that you liked from F3 is in this game, cool side quests, pop culture references, and more. They also include gambling and other fun mini games to occupy your time. FNV knew what F3 did right, and copied it almost exactly, but what they should have focused on was just fixing all the problems with F3 and then making a new story.

FNV is a good game, no, it's a great game, it just has some big let downs and to top it all off, the game is a little bit glitchy. I didn't encounter my first glitch until almost 15 hours in, but it was not just a game freeze, it froze my entire computer, after one quick restart, I was back in action. I'm now about 45 hours into the game, and I've only encountered maybe 4 game ending glitches, which really isn't that bad, just save often. The game is good enough to warrent a player look past the glitches, because the game play really is that good.

Pros:
    New Weapons, Enemies, Perks
    A much more Varied and Interesting Wasteland
    Much less stiff dialogue from NPC's
    New Game play modes and effects.

Cons:
    Unoriginal Story
    Much less open world
    Lot of new features don't pan out
    Glitches
  97. Dec 26, 2010
    Great game. The first time through it the differences from Fallout 3 might bug you, but you really can't go back after beating it. The guns are better, damage threshold is a better system than just DR, companions are way better, there are enemies close to as scary as deathclaws (possibly even more deadly, stupid cazadores), and there's much less of a black and white "you're either very good or very evil" system about it. You get fewer skills and perks, but skills were retardedly easy to max out in fallout 3 anyway and you can skip over a bunch of perks in New Vegas since VATS perks aren't mandatory anymore. Overall its a nice step forward. Expand
  98. May 17, 2011
    I liked it. Enjoyed it. Could have been much better though.

Giving it an 8 largely thanks to the modding community. Its a very good game and worth buying but has a few issues. This environment and game would lend itself well to being an open world experience and far less linear than the game really is just under the surface.
  99. Feb 5, 2011
    Excellent game. I dinged it a point because of performance issues. The entire time I was playing through it, I thought "[t]hese graphics really aren't that good, yet the game staggers pretty drastically." For example, when you get to the strip, the framerate drops dramatically. For what? Some third-tier lighting effects? Honestly, the strip doesn't even look that good. Plus, the game crashes occasinally. No biggee, but it's distracting because you start obsessively saving every 2 minutes for fear of a random-crash. NOW FOR THE GOOD PARTS: The game is very long - easily the longest game I've every played. There's a lot to explore. There's a lot of weapons. There's a lot of discretion that goes into allocating skill points, etc. All in all, it's a very enjoyable experience. It's kinda lame that you can only rank up to 30, but you soon realize that there's skill books laying around everywhere that for all intents and purposes bump the actual top rank to 33. Unfortunately, however, many of these skill books enhance the "survival" skill, which unless you're playing on "hardcore" mode (which noone does), is pretty useless. Also, once you get power armor training, you're really limited in the selection of power armor to wear. There's pretty much just the BOS power armor, and when you wear it, a significant number of factions in the game auto-hate you. You may also be able to find some extra power armor laying around at the Enclave base; I never checked. That's real late into the game, anyway. So if you do manage to get power armor training early, you'll by default have to wear the infamous BOS power armor. Kiss any alegiance you have with the NCR goodbye whilst adorned in the BOS armor. ONE LAST COMPLAINT: In the beginning, the game has some pretty difficult foes to destroy. Por exemplo, you must go into this missle silo (or something) and kill a bunch of Nightkin. It's pretty tough considering you're likely a level 4, and you're strongest gun is the grenade launcher, which you don't even know how to use. As you level up, however, the game becomes unbelievably easy. What's more, you have a multiple companions who are also armed. There is simply no enemy that can't be dispatched within 10 seconds when you're at level 30 with a companion. Por exemplo, I went into this cave with a bunch of Deathclaws. One of the Deathclaws was the "Legendary Deathclaw," which is supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game. My companion, "Veronica," wiped him out with a couple of melee punches with the Ballistic Fist. Srsly, you don't even really need to fire your weapon towards the end of the game. Expand
  100. Feb 8, 2011
    New Vegas improves over the vastly inferior Fallout 3. The environment is beautiful to look at, despite being in a post-apocalyptic world. Fallout 3 you were left looking at subways and rubble of the Washington D.C. area, while in New Vegas you get to see the Mojave, a much more beautiful place. The game starts in the town of Goodsprings, where the securitron Victor, a robot with a cowboy personality, digs you up in what should have been your grave. Then it's time to do the character creation and the tutorial. The best part about this is how much shorter the whole process is, and the fact that you can skip around half of it.

One of the best things Obsidian did with New Vegas (yes, Obsidian developed this game, Bethesda only published it) was what they did with the karma system. In Fallout 3, karma was a pretty big thing. Certain people will only help you if you have good or bad karma. This doesn't make sense. Fallout takes places in a post-apocalyptic world. It doesn't make sense that everything would be Black and White. Obsidian improves on this by introducing a new system - Reputation. If you help one faction, you will receive discounts in that town, or from that faction. Even helping one faction will make another faction hate you, most of the time. If you are hated by a faction, they will shoot you on site and even go as far as sending assassin's to kill you.

New Vegas is an RPG more than an FPS. The number of actual choices you have in the game is vastly improved over Fallout 3. More speech checks, using your high strength to intimidate, finishing a quest by using high Science, Medicine, and even Barter skills. The countless references to Fallout 1 and 2 really makes me think of this game as the true Fallout 3. The sheer fact you can do a non-lethal play through - going through the game without killing a single person, is very impressive.

My one complaint with the game is the main quest. The first time I played through it I was excited at all turns of the quests, pondering on who to side with, thinking of all the consequences. Then I did my second play through and found out that the main quest, despite having 4 factions to side with, is really just copy pasted. You do the same thing in the later part of the main quest, having to go to lesser factions and get them on your side. That is what prevents New Vegas from having a score of 10.

The mods are a really fun part of the game. I highly suggest you do a vanilla play through, which is using no mods. Then go back a second time and mod it to hell and back. While the mods are good and highly varied, I'm not counting them as part of the score, seeing as it is purely optional and not available to PS3/360 users.

If you want an RPG with guns, get New Vegas. If you want a shooter with RPG elements, get Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2. It's as simple as that.
  101. Feb 11, 2012
    By looking at all these reviews im guessing a lot of the reviewers are Skyrim/oblivion fanboys. Fallout 3 was an amazing game and is considered one of the best of all time so people cant say **** about it. Everyones entitled to an opinion but calling the game the worst piece of **** you've ever played just makes you look like a butt hurt fanboy of what ever game you prefer. Anyway back to the review.

Fallout new vegas is a great game that will entertain you for hours how ever it is not much of an upgrade from fallout 3 which was released 2 years prior to this game. The graphics are pretty much identicle, along with gameplay. How ever there is nothing wrong with that if you loved fallout 3. Your more or less getting the same thing except with a brand new map, and over 100 hours of gameplay. And i know what your thinking "That's not the same thing! Your whole statement is bull" but hear me out. Yes bethesda has given us 100 new hours of gameplay but it feels too much alike fallout 3. guns, graphics, enemies, and some quests are exactly like ones ive already played in fallout 3. It does have its upsides though. Overall Fallout new vegas is a great game. However if you were looking for something new this is not the game for you. I give Fallout new vegas a 7.5 out of 10

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.