8.4

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1947 Ratings

1. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  2. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionallyObsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running intoI'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. IFirst let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  6. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  7. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if youI thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  8. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE playerBethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  10. Feb 13, 2012
    Underrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very differentUnderrated. I MUCH prefer this game to fallout 3. While fallout 3 came out the gate first, and that stands for a lot (vegas would never have been possible without fallout 3) I find vegas to be the better game - kind of like the younger, less handsome, but genius little brother. I don't think the argument "it's just a reskinned fallout 3" works on any level. This game is a very different beast inside a familiar skin.

And yes, this game is very buggy. Moreso than skrim, oblivion, and fallout 3. However I had far too much immersion fun and memorable moments to let the crashes and glitches affect my play. Some people ditch a game when it locks up on them a few times. They have every right to have that stance, however that's the price you pay. And it's a price that reduces the score from 10/10 to 9/10. So not that much of a price.
  11. Apr 23, 2011
    Good all around game. I even have to play it on low settings at the moment until i get my new graphics card, but even at low settings it is a great game!
  12. Jul 22, 2011
    Alongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack andAlongside Mass Effect 2, I thought this was "the other" best game of 2010. Criticism that it resembled Fallout 3 didn't bother me too much, I recall Fallout 2 being a dead ringer for Fallout, albeit with the addition of some new gameplay mechanics, weapons, etc, which is exactly what this game is like, if anything though, F:NV is an improvement over F3, Mark Morgan's soundtrack and Hardcore Mode made me feel I was playing the original games again, enter severe nostalgia. I found F:NV incredibly hard to put down, absorbing and so bloody addictive (142 hours currently logged on Steam). Expand
  13. Jun 18, 2012
    The game lacks some of the iconic set pieces of FO3, but in every other way surpasses the original. This includes the four DLC, which combine to form their own unique, compelling story. Be sure to purchase the GOTY edition for the full experience. Props to Obsidian and props to Bethesda for handing the reins back to the franchise's creators.

It would get full marks alone for the

It would get full marks alone for the merciful lack of metro tunnels.
  14. Jun 18, 2012
    The sequel to Fallout 2 I´ve been waiting for over a decade. It has taken 140 hours of my life. The interaction between factions, the meaningful characters, the improved dialog system, the way it really allows for different styles of play, makes it a brilliant game. An experience, more than a game.
  15. Jan 4, 2015
    Great game. I don't like it more than I like Fo3, or even as much, but I do like it.

The only big letdown really was the Vegas Strip itself. I remember feeling, "So that's it?" when I first reached it upon release. Needing a high amount of Caps just to get into a small 2-instanced area was.... I dunno, but I'm surprised more people aren't peeved at how weak the gem of the game actually felt. Also, choosing who gets control over it (Ceaser, House, You) offers very littler difference. If you choose yourself, you will not notice anything particularly special about "owning" the Strip. No incentives/bonuses, you still have to check your weapons at the casino's, etc.

The voice acting is another thing I'd like to reflect on. Fallout 3's was pretty consistent, but NV's is a mixed bag. VA's like Laura Bailey deliver their lines effectively enough, but others, like Chanadler Bong's (Matthew Perry) feel rushed and phoned in.

One other thing- the writing. I've seen people say, "I like NV better because the writing was better". Huh? I'm not saying FO3's was better, but I'm saying it's pretty much the same in both games. There are actual deep missions in FO3, same as NV. One does not seem better than the other to me.

Other than that, it's everything you loved about FO3- but more, more or less. More ammo, perks, quests than FO3. The only other gripe I have is the map- it's kind of small and barren. In FO3, you have towns and metro systems. In NV, you have the Strip, some military camps, some refugee camps, and a few (small) towns. I found NV to mostly be sand, whereas in FO3 you have towns and the Capitol Hill to traipse through.

All in all, I'd recommend both titles played in no particular order, as they both offer a great Fallout experience, even if each a little varied.
  16. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but keptFirst, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  17. Apr 26, 2011
    Kick a** period.
    Ya well i'd rather play an awesome game that is so involved it had a few bugs then a mediocr game that ran great.
    People say " It more of Fallout 3" like thats a bad thing.. ya it plays closely the same but the depth of the quests / land/ NPC's you name it is all done really well. If you liked 3 your gonna love this. Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82
    Kick a** period.
    If you liked 3 your gonna love this.
    Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82 and played the entire Fallout series and grown/changed with it and loved its progression all the way. 10/10 in my book. But5 i dont whine and moan over a few patches being needed for a monster size game that has such a massive way for each player to progress through.. you could not have possibly Beta tested this and caught it all. where i work we have a CND "cannot duplicate" code for things we had never seen and could not repeat but other people could.. big deal.. you guys support your work and make corrections what the hell else are you suppose to do. Thanks for making this KA game.
  18. Mar 29, 2012
    Great dialogues and characters as well as the option to solve quests in multiple ways involving the use of your character skills. Nothing that cant be fixed by the impressive mod community. Solid purchase of a game that will last you quite awhile.
  19. May 31, 2011
    definitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stasheddefinitely better than Fallout 3 but still totally different league than original Fallout's 1 & 2. The only problem that I had with it is that I couldn't feel it as post nuclear land. F3 did a lot better job with that. I mean I know that it was desert not really destroyed in war and all of that, but it was just to chaotic environment to fell it as real. Too many to different thing stashed at pile without strong scenario connections between them (no wonder coz it just wasn't really convincing that world after Armageddon could really evolve to this kind of place). Except that it's rather strong game but if you would like to describe it precisely it's rather Oblivion based at first Fallout's than Fallout's sequel with Oblivion engine. Expand
  20. Jun 24, 2011
    Not since the original Baldur's Gate has a CRPG combined a strong storyline with free-form exploration so well. Beautifully realised setting, loads of things to find, four different endings and "Yes Man" -- one of the best characters in a CRPG. I wish I had time to play this again! Make sure you install the patches; the release build was pretty buggy.
  21. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New Vegas is just a stellar improvement on the FO3 formula. The new lands to explore (And conquer for some of us) are a fresh start, though the mostly vault-less land feels a little different than your usual Fallout romp. Still crossing the wastes of Nevada and fighting everything from Powder Gangers to Giant Rad Scorpions to Deathclaws is a blast. The story you follow of the errand boy of Nevada gone wrong is intriguing and leads you through some interesting areas to learn of what happened, and exact revenge on someone who wronged you. The DLC that has come out for the game has been pretty fun. I have the GOTY edition from Steam with all the DLC packs and I've gotta say Old World Blues was a helluva good time. The writing in that DLC pack more than makes up for any frustrating pieces. I love the Fallout Universe and it's always fun to go back and pick it up again and play things out in a different way or order than you did before. Great fun :) Expand
  22. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played the first fallouts, so I was always wondering why so many users didn't like fallout 3, which I enjoyed a lot.
    After playing NV however I realized why so many people hated F3. It was more a shooter than a RPG game like the first 2 ones.
    NV really made me to immerse with the world, with the politics, with the factions. My choices influenced the events, how the factions react toward me, what I can speak with someone or what I can not. I really enjoyed that I do really play a role in the game's world, that my actions really influence things around the world.

I could even give a 10, but some bugs here and there and graphical glitches really stop me from doing that.
  23. Jan 7, 2012
    The game is a master piece, another master piece from Bethesda Game Studios.I sold this game, but today I'm going to get it again...
    The radios are good but could be better, the game-play is the same has Fallout 3, EPIC, vast world to investigate, 3 endings.
    Has many weapons to choose from, suits to wear and you can even created your own character. If you are a great Fallout fan you
    If you are a great Fallout fan you probably already have this game, but if you're new to the series you should start with this one.
  24. Dec 26, 2011
    In my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dontIn my opinion, which shouldn't carry a lot of weight, Bethesda really nailed this one. The sheer number of things to do, whether doing all the many quests, or joining a faction, or even just exploring and collecting unique weapons. this game brought to you something Bethesda didn't do, something black isle did in the original 2 fallouts, it gave you choices, a good story, and fun, you dont have to use VATS to win, like in fallout 3, if you like aiming with guns, use the ironsights, makes it more fun, and even feels better to play with, instead of pausing the game every 2 seconds to aim at some guy trying to kill you, you can just aim at him and let it rip. then you get the DLC...4 of them, all with a great story, that all tie together in a little way with the original game, bethesda...i take my hat off to you, Great job. Expand
  25. Dec 31, 2011
    I think obsidian is the top rpg creator game in our days. New vegas is deep, is dark and have a very nice story and a world open to explore. Very nice work, very nice game
  26. Jan 17, 2012
    Huge open world, much better than the original Fallout 3 in my opinion. The amount of mods available for this game is staggering, from graphical enhancements, to huge content packs. You could easily lose >50 hours in this game.
  27. Jan 10, 2012
    Although i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. IAlthough i do not find this game as interesting as fallout 3 i still highly recommend it to fans of Fallout 3. This game has a lot to do, from exploring, side quests and main quests. I do wish the Main story line was longer but with the exploring and other side quests, it made up for time. Graphically its not as good as other games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 but it still looks good. I had no problems personally running this game although it has crashed on me twice in the 40 hours that have been played. If you like rpg's or Couldn't get enough of Fallout 3 you should buy this game. Expand
  28. Mar 3, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with F3 since for me it lacked the soul of the earlier Fallout games. In F:NV the world feels lot more like Fallout 2 and even the story is kind of continuation from that. This game is must buy for Fallout fans.
  29. Oct 15, 2012
    Obsidian took Fallout 3 and learned from previous mistakes and really improved the game play and the story.

And they returned fallout to it roots with a lot of very "Fallout" tongue in cheek humor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3. Just the options provided by the modding community alone should give this game a 90+ rating. They really

I'm really surprised that it doesn't rate at least as high as Fallout 3.

They really improved on what they provided for Fallout 3.

I still fire it up to play just to try out the new mods.
  30. Jan 1, 2013
    This is a 10/10 game while at first there were numerous bugs that would bring this to an 8 they have been corrected a long time ago. Personally The DLC is hit and miss but you can get it all for 20 bucks do not miss this game if you are a fallout fan.
  31. Mar 14, 2012
    Best game ever. Made me go buy Fallout 3 which showed me how wise they were in New Vegas to decrease the popcap minefields that they called the 'game map'. Only bad part about this game is that it ends - but its an amazing ride.
  32. Mar 15, 2012
    It started out with a few bugs but nothing they haven't fixed with patches or to game crushing. This game is awesome any true fallout or ES fan should buy and play.
  33. Mar 15, 2012
    Most depressing game world ever, and yet so full of life I want to live in it. This games adds to what makes Bethesda one of the best. I can never put their games down.
  34. Mar 15, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game, great characters and the continued great game-play of FO3. Few games really make me feel like I'm in a living breathing world as Fallout New Vegas has.
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. thou shalt get that bonus huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2012
    I am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmedI am not a fan of the Fallout series. Its bland territories and reused story elements aren't appealing to me. However, New Vegas changed my stance on this. I loved the environment, reinvention/modernization of old factions along with new factions, the dreariness and hope that associated itself with the post-apocalyptic world. I keep loading up the game because I'm not bored or overwhelmed with the depressive nature of previous installments. It is alive and enjoyable. Expand
  37. Mar 15, 2012
    Great game with a decent difficulty curve. enjoyable atmosphere with many wonderful DLC expansions. the missions are kinda bland at times but overall great
  38. Mar 15, 2012
    Très bon jeu.. Bien meilleur que Fallout 3. L'esprit se rapproche fortement de Fallout et Fallout 2.
    La liberté d'action est très développée et nous permet de faire des choix moraux douteux, ou au contraire preux.
    A conseiller vivement pour ceux qui ne 'lont pas encore fait !
  39. Mar 17, 2012
    I was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you putI was initially disappointed with the game, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 3 on my first playthrough. But then I picked up the first three DLCs on Steam for cheap and decided to play it again and I realized how much I missed out on. Sure there wasn't the urban environment, but the RPG experience was on par with what I would expect from a Bethesda game. For those of you put off by the initially buggy experience, I assure you that the game has been patched since then and the DLC only goes to show what great support Obsidian has provided for this game. Mod support is fantastic as well for those of you that care. Expand
  40. Mar 17, 2012
    A fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humorA fantastic romp through the post-apocalyptic wasteland; lots of player choice and a great deal of attention to detail throughout. Lots of enjoyable people to meet, locations to discover, and weapons to use. Obsidian added considerable content to the game through the DLC that followed, giving tons of content that you'll spend hundreds of hours exploring. The classic Fallout fun and humor is revived here, as well. Fantastic! Expand
  41. May 24, 2012
    Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new,Obsidian did what he could to patch up Bethesda's incompetence to develop proper Fallout game. Given what engine they worked with they did great job. SPECIAL and perk system rebalanced, moral choices are no longer just black&white but rather different shades of grey, writing is on higher level...etc. Many features I played first two games for are included as well as introducing some new, and unlike Fallout 3's added features they are not dumbing down the game. Game is still somehow limited given the engine and the fact that it's multiplatform. Fallout New Vegas is something Fallout 3 should be. A game worthy it's predecessors name. Expand
  42. Mar 25, 2012
    Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me.Games like this are a favorite of mine. While I wasn't exactly happy with the ending, nor a few of the characters endings, I have to rate this game highly. How many hours of enjoyment did I receive for the money spent? How many DLC or even mods will I be able to continue the fun? The bugs and patches sucked, and the fact that you could only play it on steam (while online) bothered me. However I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who loves open worlds, shooters, with rpg elements. Expand
  43. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a fantastic RPG, filled with memorable locations, characters, and great writing. There several ways to play the game, who to side with, and how that affects the outcome of your actions.

Best Obsidian game yet.
  44. Apr 3, 2012
    Not sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplayNot sure where to begin. I've spent many hours of my life paying this game (lol), but for those who haven't played it yet I'll do my best to introduce it in a concise manner. Before you play it though, I strongly recommend playing through Fallout 3 first. There is a learning curve to F:NV even after playing Fallout 3 and its DLCs in their entirety. New Vegas adds many new gameplay elements, such as the Companion Wheel (makes it easier to interact with Followers), "iron sights" for aiming weapons, more organized factions and the Reputation system (represents the player's relationship with factions in the game), reloading benches (for crafting ammo), a **** of new weapons, a reorganization of Skill types (Big Guns skill is dropped, Survival skill, which affects food and clothing recipes and their benefits, is introduced), and Skill level requirements for weapons. Like the post-apocalypse Washington D.C. area in Fallout 3, there are real-world locations in the Nevada/Mojave region. My overall suggestion for this game: Play it, but make sure you've played through Fallout 3 first. Expand
  45. Apr 9, 2012
    This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

This game is a beautiful work of art. It's Fallout 3 done right.

Bethesda may make a decent engine. Good-looking and full-of-holes. But they absolutely suck at storylines. Fallout 3 and Skyrim fail to captivate my imagination. The quests are boring, the story is mostly boring, only the background and concept is any decent -- something you should expect from engine designers. The glitches are numerous and there is an obvious lack-of-polish. However, relatively speaking, if Fallout 3 deserves a 91; this game certainly deserves a 100.
  46. Apr 19, 2012
    one of the best games ever if it wernet for the bugs it be perfect its not about the shootings its more about how you want to play its like your world recommend for evreyone to play
  47. Apr 28, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles,Fallout New Vegas was fantastic and was one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I do agree things with the bugs but if your computer crashes because of it, get a new one. And I know that Fallout New Vegas was really hardcore and realistic but this game is meant for serious players and Fallout 3 is meant for normal and casual gamers, this game's variety of factions, quests, wars, battles, maps, weapons, armour and companions just made this game perfect except for one thing, hardcore mode. The reason I can't rate this game 10 is because of hardore mode, sure you don't have to play it in hardcore mode (yet there is a achievement or trophy for beating the game on it) but playing hardcore mode is ridiculous where dehydration and starving is a problem yet almost everything will give you radiation poisoning, ammo counts as weight which is stupid, armor and weapons break down faster which is a recreation of Dead Island, etc. But this game is definitly a top 10 in my list for being a very cool realistic game where if you're bored with funny games, put this game in your pc or xbox or ps3 and get ready to actually die. Expand
  48. Aug 2, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. I have 14 hours in this game in two days. TWO DAYS. I have never played any video game so much. I've never really bought other RPG games for PC but this completely wowed me. This game is so fun and you will just lose track of time in the real world. The only real problem i have is the bugs in the game which really take away from the whole experience.
  49. Aug 25, 2012
    I'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house perI'v been as satisfied with new vegas as i was with fallout 3 or oblivion IV. I have played all the add-ons and i personally don't think they are a must. Sometimes buggy (game crash) with the steam version but not much. It lacks of buyable houses in game to display your findings like we are used to in other open world rpg's like those mentioned up top (oblivion for most ... 1 house per town) Fun mini-games of caravan (card game) and casino games. Had and still have fun playing this great game. Expand
  50. Sep 28, 2012
    its all about the first fallout game you play. if you play fallout 3 first than you'd like it better, if you played new vegas first like i did you'd love it more. over all YOU MUST PLAY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE MASTER PEACES!!
  51. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game by the makers of fallout 1 and 2.
    Lots of atmosphere.
    It is has a better crafting system then fallout 3 and is darker.
    There are no real good guys.
    Because war, war never changes.
    Great writing although some of the dialogue has to much exposition.
  52. Dec 28, 2012
    Fallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interestingFallout: New Vegas is by far one of the best games I've ever played only surpassed by Fallout 1, 2 and 3. While Obsidian has done a marvelous job bringing locations like New Vegas, The Divide and the Big Empty to "life", I personally think that they feel rather dead compared to the post-war glory of eg. Washington in Fallout 3. It's a top-notch game though with a rich lore and interesting characters - woulnd't trade it for anything, well, maybe except for Fallout 4! Expand
  53. Oct 1, 2014
    I have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves youI have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves you with a less rich experience than the others, but when all's said and done, I've put over 200 hours into this game and am still entertained by it.

New Vegas just feels like what 'Fallout 3' was supposed to be, story and gameplay-wise. The team that worked on it had developers that worked on the original series and the cancelled sequel code named 'Van Buren' and contains story elements from it and the continuity of Fallout 2. The story is set out in front of you, and it's entirely up to you how you want to carry it forward. The gameplay mechanics from F3 carry over with some small and large tweaks, and some of them are made obsolete by new systems.

After the 'vanilla' game is starting to get stale, there are countless modifications players have made to make gameplay or visual changes or completely overhaul the game to make a 'call of duty' style shooter, or a RTS style field commander game, or even a fully loaded casino simulator. If you are a shooter or rpg fan make sure you pick this up, you can find it on steam for as low as $5, so keep an eye out.

To recap, it's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and get lost in the wasteland.
  54. Aug 1, 2014
    Ah, Fallout: New Vegas. The first Fallout game I've played, and a nice introduction as well. Fallout: New Vegas has that.... Bethesda feel. You know, the same little details that are in most Bethesda games. Big, open world, tons of quests and side quests, a large selection of weapons, mods (if you own it on PC), and a whole lot more.

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of bugs and glitches. Some of them may crash your game, or cause some weird graphical errors, but that's fine. It's the game breaking bugs that you gotta worry about. These usually happen when you don't install a mod right, and can seriously break your game where you can't play it. Like, you REALLY can't play it. Uninstalling it won't work (in most cases) and sometimes you may even spend hundreds of dollars just re-buying the game.

Game breaking bugs aside, Fallout: New Vegas is definitely worth your money.
  55. Apr 1, 2015
    This is one of my fauvorite games . It is already 5 years old, but this game is still good now as it was then . I highly recommend - this game is a all-time classic . I will be playiung it also in 5 years again . Unbelievable atmospere, the same feeling I had when playing Terminator : Future shock 15 or so years ago - the post appocalypse feeling only Bethesda can provide .
  56. Feb 15, 2015
    I loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. TheI loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. The wide-open (not linear) world gives you a great sense of freedom and choices of how to play. There are so many crazy/fun characters. After five years, New Vegas feels like a chapter from my life ("remember a few years ago when you spent a few months in New Vegas making all those cool friends, killing all those bad guys, and saving everyone from Caesar's Legion?"). It's like a vacation spot I can't wait to return to. So I often do. Expand
  57. Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite game ever! It has amazing characters, amazing writing and Its really cheap at the moment. Its and improvement on its predecessor in many ways. I've played this game for 130+ hours and the modding community just keeps adding more to my playtime. I really do adore this game.

P.S Don't listen to HardcoreGamer27 his review makes no sense hes probably just a troll.
  58. Mar 24, 2015
    To most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better thanTo most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better than Fallout 3 with current patches. So lets get on to the game it self. Like any self respecting Fallout title your character, the Courier in this case, starts with a fairly simple main task. This time the main task is getting revenge. From there the story expands and if you play your cards right you might just save the world.

The good: The tweaks Obsidian gave the Gamebryo engine make this game look far more polished than Fallout 3 and makes things feel a bit more real. The characters in this game are much more colorful than 3's were and rival the characters of Fallout and Fallout 2. This game was worked on by a lot of old hands from Black Isle who developed the first two games, as a result the humor is back, in a very big way if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait. The game recaptures that desolate desert feeling of the originals and the open feeling they gave you. The music, especially on the radio is fantastic and really shapes up the atmosphere. Though I failed to mention it in my Fallout 3 review Fallout 3 does have that same feeling. On the subject of sound the voice talent is again top notch like all Fallout games. Ron Perlman returns yet again a s our Narrator, Michael Dorn returns as the Super Mutant Marcus, Wayne Newton graces our radios as Mr. New Vegas. Not to mention other huge stars and great voice actors who lend their voices in this game. With the most current patches the game feels solid and tight. Along with the Main game the DLC adds hours of fun to the game. Again having the PC version is paramount due to the mod-friendliness of the game, and again we get the GECK to make our own mods when the creativity bug bites. The mods are doubly important as they can extend the games life several times past the main play throughs of the game. Also like Fallout 3 this game rewards exploration, and if you can see it in the distance, chances are you can go there. The best part in my opinion is the return of the Super Mutants and Nightkin from the Miraposa Military Base/Masters Army. It's nice to have some intelligent Super Mutants wandering around rather than the dumb as dirt ones from Fallout 3. Possibly the best part is that this game more fully embraces the Lore of Fallout and adds back in a lot of the sleaze factor that made the originals so desolately charming. There are also some nods to the originals, though Fallout 3 had them there were fewer there than here, and they felt less sincere than this time. One last thing here, if you pick energy weapons as a tag skill to start, you get an energy weapon to start with, finally we're not punished for liking laser guns!

The bad: Still no usable vehicles or mounts... Still that matters a lot less than it did in Fallout 3 due to better spacing of towns and outposts in which to resupply. We still didn't get back the vault doors of the originals which is somewhat disappointing. Some bugs still crop up with the newest patches, but I've yet to run into any game breakers. The path feels a bit linear compared to previous titles even the third instalment, still there are plenty of reasons to back track which makes it all worth while. The lack of intelligent Deathclaws and those nasty Wanamingos from Fallout 2 feel like a sorely missed opportunity.
    That damned companion limit of 2. Really please bring back the Charisma based companion limit. The final note on the bad: This game was made by Obsidian, and it feels like it. By that I mean it feels like there's a little bit missing, this is because there is a little bit missing. As with almost every Obsidian game a few things that really leave a gap when cut, were cut. This is almost always due to deadlines with Obsidian, and not for artistic reasons like exhibited by Black Isle. This is also why the game need as many patches as it received.

Other thoughts: V.A.T.S. still feels useless in a real time game, but it's still very entertaining to kill enemies with it. Obsidian contains a lot of old hands from Black Isle Studio who made the original games.

Final thoughts: This really does seem like the game Fallout 3 should have been. It stands shoulder to shoulder with Fallout and Fallout 2 and a bit taller than 3. It captures the feeling and spirit of the originals, while elevating that to the first person arena. Proving that some games can make the leap to 3D. It's an excellent addition to the Fallout universe, an excellent RPG, and an excellent game that all RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans should have in their library.
  59. Apr 15, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and whiteFallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and white hero/villain simply following a bread crumb trail. As much as I loved Fallout 3, this is what the original Fallout creators wanted to see happen to the IP.

PS: Even though this game is still bringing money into Bethesda's pockets 5 years later, Obsidian was denied a bonus because of the initial review scores posted on this website. They needed to score an 85 on here and scored an 84. If every reviewer did an ultimate edition review it would almost certainly break 85 or even 90 metascore. Obsidian developers, and those laid off after the project, should get compensation. If this industry wasn't so ass backwards.
  60. May 12, 2012
    If you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on someIf you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on some irrelevant side mission. I love the stress-free freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it.

The game left me in awe as to how intricate virtual worlds like this can be experienced in such stunning detail--definitely worth spending my time and energy. Its biggest disappointment is the inability to continue character development and exploration once the main quest is finished. You are forced to load an old save...
  61. May 23, 2011
    Just amazing. 200+ hours of content for 19.99 and the best mod community around. IMHO better than Fallout 3. Great gunfights, dialogue and universe.
  62. Mar 15, 2012
    Purchased New Vegas on release day via Steam, after having tremdous fun with Fallout 3. New Vegas expanded on the Fallout 3 universe quite nicely with a lot of extra features and interesting content which allowed for a lot of game play time if you allow yourself to do all the side quests and achievements.

I found the game to be very immersive, if a litle buggy (which is the reason I'm giving it an 8) however, the game was patched promtly after release and supported for a while after.

All in all, a great game and one of my favourites of 2010.
  63. Nov 3, 2010
    It's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopesIt's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopes that actually work, making sniping and reconnaissance viable (and advantageous!). The engine is showing it's age and the radio feature didn't seem as good as FO3 as well. There is also less humour, which does seem strange since this is supposedly by a team with a lot of Black Isle members. However it's still good, and a welcome fresh twist on the original FO3. Expand
  64. Mar 11, 2011
    The DLC hasn't been worth it and there are some pacing issues (but that happens with most of Beth's games), but this is the best open world sandbox RPG out there. Between an amazingly active community of mod makers at nexus and a great base game it's a must play. Also, the price is starting to drop - so now's the time to give it a try.
  65. Dec 1, 2011
    At first, i was thinking this game is a joke. then as i continued on with this game it was AMAZING. This is DEFINATELY for SERIOUS GAMERS like myself. And the best thing is, once you finish the great storyline, you can easily mod it. Fallout New Vegas is like a completely different game when you use mods. This game kept me playing for around 350 hours and i would say that NOT ONE OF THEMAt first, i was thinking this game is a joke. then as i continued on with this game it was AMAZING. This is DEFINATELY for SERIOUS GAMERS like myself. And the best thing is, once you finish the great storyline, you can easily mod it. Fallout New Vegas is like a completely different game when you use mods. This game kept me playing for around 350 hours and i would say that NOT ONE OF THEM FEEL LIKE THEY ARE WASTED. I would highly recommend this for SERIOUS GAMERS, and advise casual gamers, Posers, begginners and kids to stay away from this awesome game. Expand
  66. Oct 30, 2010
    This game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it aThis game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it a different feel than aforementioned FO3. If you liked #3, there's a very good chance you'll enjoy New Vegas. That is all. Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2010
    If you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw aIf you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw a scorpion clipped through the ground trying to attack me. There are invisible walls everywhere, so that little hill you want to get over is impossible, I don't understand this design choice for an open world environment. You rely much less on vats due to less volatile movements and improved aiming. The special system seemed to be much more important as each attribute has its pros and cons and played in more during conversations. the skills have much more diverse uses, expect finding practical uses for repair and medicine. The worst part however is this amounts to a reskin of fallout 3. While new weapons and enemies keep it fresh, combat is the same and many places seem familiar. If you enjoyed fallout 3, be prepared to be drawn into a new world along with a few hiccups here and there. Expand
  68. Apr 24, 2011
    Probably the best game I've ever played. I enjoyed myself A TON playing this game. When it was over I really wanted to play more and was really bummed out. But playing through this game was extremely enjoyable and it was similar to FO3 which I loved. Which most people say is a bad thing, but I think it's great. It was just like fallout 3 with a different story line, which I loved. I don'tProbably the best game I've ever played. I enjoyed myself A TON playing this game. When it was over I really wanted to play more and was really bummed out. But playing through this game was extremely enjoyable and it was similar to FO3 which I loved. Which most people say is a bad thing, but I think it's great. It was just like fallout 3 with a different story line, which I loved. I don't know what the problem with that is... This game is simply amazing. Expand
  69. Nov 25, 2011
    This game truly reflects on the nature of a rpg. Just because the engine begins to show some age and it can get a little buggy is no reason to hate the beauty of fallout in a way this is better than fallout 3 which was originally my favorite game of all time. It has two modes to select from (Basic, or hardcore) which allows you to see how hard it will really be to survive in a wasteland.This game truly reflects on the nature of a rpg. Just because the engine begins to show some age and it can get a little buggy is no reason to hate the beauty of fallout in a way this is better than fallout 3 which was originally my favorite game of all time. It has two modes to select from (Basic, or hardcore) which allows you to see how hard it will really be to survive in a wasteland. The atmosphere is dry and the terrain is jagged and just makes you feel the realness of surviving. That's not the reason I rated this game a 10 though its because it has the best character customization (next to oblivion) It's by far got one of the best first and third person shooter methods I have ever experienced and vats just adds so much unique feelings, from the epic moment you blow off an enemies arm, leg, or head. Or turn someone into ashes or a pool of melted plasma it gives you so much satisfaction that you cant wait to kill the next enemy with the wide variations of weapons. Which brings me to my next point the weapons are perfectly balanced and everyone feels good to hold in your hands the sounds are exquisite and makes you feel like you are shooting a real gun at a real person, or creature. Also the voices are good but not great but the amount of dialogue pays up for it with over 60,000 lines of dialogue which is a record might I remind you. The amount of time and effort put into this game should be appreciated. Also the creatures and the wide amount of them really adds some flavor to the game other than fighting people with guns 24/7 *Ahem*cod. From geckos to deathclaws from cazadors to nightstalkers there are over 40 new creatures not including the dlc. I think this game alone yet a little buggy is beautiful and a game to be reckoned with 10/10 A true rpg masterpiece ~ Snowweed Expand
  70. Mar 23, 2011
    It's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupidIt's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupid crap of fighting over the only working water purifier for no other reason than "no you can't have it because you are evil I think". Expand
  71. Apr 25, 2011
    The game is just great. It's what Fallout 3 should have been. The real Fallout 3 as a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. West Coast, Nevada, bright sun of the Mojave desert. It's great to see NCR, Followers, Crimson Caravan, Khans and true Brotherhood of Steel, not some fantasy paladins protecting the world. I really love New Vegas. Thanks, Obsidian.
  72. May 16, 2011
    This is THE GAME, and PC is THE PLATFORM to enjoy it. People who deduct the score due to bugs and such really aren't the right people to play this game to begin with; It's a faulty game, but if you look past the flaws and immerse yourself, you find that this game is one of the best things you can play. People who call this game "simplified" or "linear" don't know what they are talkingThis is THE GAME, and PC is THE PLATFORM to enjoy it. People who deduct the score due to bugs and such really aren't the right people to play this game to begin with; It's a faulty game, but if you look past the flaws and immerse yourself, you find that this game is one of the best things you can play. People who call this game "simplified" or "linear" don't know what they are talking about. Did they just follow the main quest line to the end and then sit down to review the game? WHO does that with a Fallout game??? It's exploration and freedom that makes Fallout 3/New Vegas great! It stands out amongst linear games like COD! But it's still not a sandbox experience, because those are usually about messing around and having fun. Sure, if you want to do that then New Vegas can deliver. Big time. But where it truly shines is in it's immersion. I wasted over 150 hours playing Fallout 3, on a single character. I've wasted about 70 on New Vegas so far, and I can already see that it is superior in every way - It's more balanced, brings more content and more freedom. Instead of just the Good, Neutral and Evil path, the lines are so much more blurred, and if you're immersed, then you will reflect heavily on your choices. Dialogues are better, visuals are better and aspects like morality, economics and difficulty are all improved. Overpowering is thankfully reduced, thanks to higher difficulty without more XP, tougher enemies, rarer weapons etc. BOTTOM LINE: If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this as long as you're not expecting HUGE improvements (though they feel huge to me who is crazy about the games). Those who do, well, I think they should save their money and expectations for Fallout 4. That better bring some big improvements... But as for now, New Vegas is the best first person Fallout experience out there. Go play it. Expand
  73. Oct 26, 2011
    Anyone who thinks that Bethesda's attempt at a Fallout game even approaches Obsidian's revival of the series would probably hate the original games that made it so iconic in the first place. While Fallout 3 was shallower than the average puddle, with few really meaningful choices to be made in the world, next to no fleshing out of characters, and several complete breaks from theAnyone who thinks that Bethesda's attempt at a Fallout game even approaches Obsidian's revival of the series would probably hate the original games that made it so iconic in the first place. While Fallout 3 was shallower than the average puddle, with few really meaningful choices to be made in the world, next to no fleshing out of characters, and several complete breaks from the established Fallout universe, New Vegas goes a lot of the way to repairing these faults. The game is superbly written and the player must think their actions through carefully because here, they really do mean something. Saying the wrong thing at an early stage can influence the game in ways seldom seen in any title released since the original games. The world is more alive than that of Fallout 3, with an endless list of things to do and see and a plethora of characters who each have their own story to tell. I've put just shy of 200 hours into the game so far and I'd hazard a guess I've experienced maybe half of what it has to offer at most. There is colour, and it's not green like Fallout 3 - the purple of the evening sky, the green of struggling crops, the rainbow neons of the Strip all add up to make the game feel alive. This is a true Fallout game, not a watered-down attempt to try and hook in players without the patience required for a series with so much depth. I do have to dock some points for the engine; Gamebryo continues to be buggy, clunky, and generally a bad choice for pretty much any given purpose. The Strip and New Vegas itself are miniscule, presumably due to engine constraints, and while the world is much more lively that Fallout 3's, there are still a lot of areas which hint at much greater, but unrealised, aspirations. Despite being hamstrung by its engine, however, the game offers a rich experience through its story, its characters, and its gameplay. Definitely worth buying; I can now pretend Fallout 3 didn't happen. Expand
  74. Dec 30, 2011
    New Vegas is an awesome game. The storyline is much improved over Fallout 3's, though the setting at times feels less 'post-apocalyptic' and more 'wild west with the occasional laser gun'. Modding/crafting is greatly improved and to me, it feels like there really is no useless skill. With the DLC expansions and a large and active modding community, you can easily sink a hundred hoursNew Vegas is an awesome game. The storyline is much improved over Fallout 3's, though the setting at times feels less 'post-apocalyptic' and more 'wild west with the occasional laser gun'. Modding/crafting is greatly improved and to me, it feels like there really is no useless skill. With the DLC expansions and a large and active modding community, you can easily sink a hundred hours into this game. My main complaint is that a Legion-oriented playthrough is significantly shorter than any other playthrough, and that there are still some annoying bugs present. Expand
  75. Dec 9, 2011
    I played the hole game in 60h, took me a month but it was worth it. The game is simply great with a huge map to explore and the DLCs add even more to it. The graphics are great for a game like this and its engine runs very smooth dispite the glicths and bugs which its is major downside. Also the save something doesnt load which can ruin certain people´s games but i recommendI played the hole game in 60h, took me a month but it was worth it. The game is simply great with a huge map to explore and the DLCs add even more to it. The graphics are great for a game like this and its engine runs very smooth dispite the glicths and bugs which its is major downside. Also the save something doesnt load which can ruin certain people´s games but i recommend everyone who like adventure to try it. Expand
  76. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is awesome problems first, BUGS there are a few bugs with the dlc and the game, also weapons are a bit lacking in feel, also needs more big cities. Thats all the bad i am not kidding its too post apocalyptic rpg like, the good, dozens of interesting side quests (unlike fo3), do whatever the you want not kidding you can do 1 mission then go run away and never do the story forThis game is awesome problems first, BUGS there are a few bugs with the dlc and the game, also weapons are a bit lacking in feel, also needs more big cities. Thats all the bad i am not kidding its too post apocalyptic rpg like, the good, dozens of interesting side quests (unlike fo3), do whatever the you want not kidding you can do 1 mission then go run away and never do the story for THOUSANDS of hours, the characters are amazingly detailed, the cities feel unique, you feel like a good person if you have good karma and a maniac if you have low karma. The lore is followed well unlike fo3 with the half assed explanation of the super mutants. Did i not give you enough motivation to buy this game. Also this is my second favorite game ever first being Stalker SoC but thats only fun for a small crowd, and 3rd bioshock infinite. BUY NOW WITH DLC YOU WILL NOT REGRET ANYTHING Expand
  77. Jul 9, 2012
    This game is brilliantly done. Its one fot he few games i have know that has high replay value and actual roleplaying experience. So many times i have played the game and been floored by just doing soemthing a lil bit different or taking or saying a different thing there then having soemthing new to experience. Its amazing. Normally a game lets u have a lilbit of choices but they allThis game is brilliantly done. Its one fot he few games i have know that has high replay value and actual roleplaying experience. So many times i have played the game and been floored by just doing soemthing a lil bit different or taking or saying a different thing there then having soemthing new to experience. Its amazing. Normally a game lets u have a lilbit of choices but they all end the same way, this game u do have that in a way but so many situations has so many different outcomes, itsa physical difference. Also right now is a great time to play, its a bethesda game and it shows bethesda did not do proper QA when game was released but obsidian has doen a great job getting rid of alot of the bugs and gliches. The world is immense, so many different factions to join, u have choices and consequences which gives reason to replay game over and over. The DLCs were brilliantly done. Each DLC having a different overtone and moral, but the story and amount of depth charectors have. Also it shows that they worked hard to rebalance everythign in the game to fit as well. Amazing game, and i dare say the newest Morrowind quality game to date. Expand
  78. Sep 17, 2012
    Let me just start by listing some of the many reasons why New Vegas is better than Fallout 3.
    1. The ability to modify your weapons
    2. A far wider array of factions
    3. A far wider array of companions
    4. A more interesting and immersive atmosphere i.e(not just ruined buildings as far as you can see)
    5. Hardcore Mode(Need I say more?)
  79. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is awesome I put 360 hours into this game. This is fantastic I've never felt more free in a game! From the get go you can go wherever and do whatever you like. You don't like the way he talks? he sounds too king in a scary world? No it's not invincible like in many other games they make characters invincible but not this game... However there are repercussions for your actions.This game is awesome I put 360 hours into this game. This is fantastic I've never felt more free in a game! From the get go you can go wherever and do whatever you like. You don't like the way he talks? he sounds too king in a scary world? No it's not invincible like in many other games they make characters invincible but not this game... However there are repercussions for your actions. This is what I love about the FO genre, Obsidian and Bethesda don't create the game around a linear story line /characters, what they do is they create a game that the player can play how they want to play it. Now they still have a story line so if you want to hear the whole story it's kind of linear in that sense. I never beat the game though and I didn't have to in order to enjoy it.. How did I enjoy it? Exploring, character progression, different play styles Melee weapons, fisted weapons, Energy weapons, bullet weapons, Sniper, Vats, I'm sure I'm missing something here this is just the top of my head. There are random events, random loot sacks from other (NPC) adventurers. Theres gore! which in my opinion adds a lot to the game, it adds to the awesomeness of the weaponry. I'd say in total there are probably around 150 total weapons give or take a couple, but there are different types of ammo in the game and this changes the damage, the feel, the look of the projectiles and the slow-mo cam destruction of the creature. This keeps the games combat feeling fresh. Going back to what I said earlier though about the game feeling free to do what you want. The NPC's react towards your decision making, unlike in many other FPS/RPG where many characters are invulnerable, killing NPC's in the game has a reaction from others this opens so much possibilities!!! It's like real life it's so complex!

There are down sides to this game though....you may never enjoy another RPG or shooter again! Seriously I can't play half life, the weapons bore me, no exploration, no secret stashes, all hand holding. I might've liked this type of style of shooter if I didn't play FallOut, I can't play Far Cry 3 because I feel like the weapons in the game are being spoon fed to me compared to Fallout where I can barter, loot, and find weapons and sometimes find "unique weapons", in many other RPG/shooters you can't go and play how you want to play it. This is the Fallout curse the only RPG's I can enjoy now are Skyrim and Rage other Bethesda/Obsidian products. Some might interpret it as a bad thing to have this "curse" but it's really not, I just experienced such a good game that other games can't come close. This game is a must have!! I recommend it to everybody who likes open world RPG's/Shooters
  80. Mar 10, 2013
    Finally, a real continuation of Fallout Saga. I know, that it's not the old-school Fallout, but hey... It's a real RPG. Not like Fallout 3. It has all the elements I would need: a massive chose of weaponry, deep story, which coordinates with the first two Fallout games, a real chose of sides and endings, great gameplay, huge world, beautiful DLC. I know RPGs aren't like in the old days,Finally, a real continuation of Fallout Saga. I know, that it's not the old-school Fallout, but hey... It's a real RPG. Not like Fallout 3. It has all the elements I would need: a massive chose of weaponry, deep story, which coordinates with the first two Fallout games, a real chose of sides and endings, great gameplay, huge world, beautiful DLC. I know RPGs aren't like in the old days, but for now. It's the best of both worlds. Why 10/10? Yeah, I know all those bugs and glitches that piss everyone off, but! The PC version has so many mods all around the internet that will help you solve most of them, if not all! And yes, my graphic-driven friend, there are a LOT of graphic mods also! This game is a holy matrimony for PC players who look for new, yet classic gameplay in RPG style, while still wanting to play a good shooter. Really. It's literally the best of both worlds. Expand
  81. Aug 30, 2013
    If you wanna pass this game with all DLC's you need something like 200 hours and that's beautiful. That happened to me and same can happen to you if you need a good game. This Fallout is just brilliant.
  82. Nov 8, 2013
    Fallout New Vegas is an extraordinary game on the PC. It has an incredible main story line with very well made side quests. The modding capabilities on the PC for this game in particular are amazing; you can find all kinds of lore friendly mods as well as mods that do not even go with the game. All the mods are free at nexusmods.com Aside from the modding capabilities; Fallout New VegasFallout New Vegas is an extraordinary game on the PC. It has an incredible main story line with very well made side quests. The modding capabilities on the PC for this game in particular are amazing; you can find all kinds of lore friendly mods as well as mods that do not even go with the game. All the mods are free at nexusmods.com Aside from the modding capabilities; Fallout New Vegas also has real world weapon designs as well as character customization. Fallout New Vegas is a very old western themed RPG with radio stations to go with that theme. The genres of music that are played go from Big Jazz Bands to Old Style Bluegrass. The genre expands even further with DLC packs. Adding all the DLC pack unlocks unique weapons and armor as well as quests and an expanded genre of music such as Swing Bands. Fallout New Vegas is my absolute favorite RPG game, and I recommend it to people all the time. Share my joy and grab a copy of The Complete Edition. Expand
  83. Aug 3, 2014
    Excellent post-apocalyptic RPG! After disappointing Fallout 3, New Vegas is finally returning the Fallout series to top form of the original classics from the 90's. This is what F3 could have been in the first place, mostly thanks to the work of some of the original Fallout creators. You can really feel they respect and expand the Fallout universe and lore, getting back to some of theExcellent post-apocalyptic RPG! After disappointing Fallout 3, New Vegas is finally returning the Fallout series to top form of the original classics from the 90's. This is what F3 could have been in the first place, mostly thanks to the work of some of the original Fallout creators. You can really feel they respect and expand the Fallout universe and lore, getting back to some of the legends, characters and even using some of the masterpiece music by Mark Morgan, because they realize this ambient gem is the crucial reason why original Fallout series had such breathtaking post-apo atmosphere, so they bring some of it back. Inon Zur cannot compare to Mark Morgan, but at least you can turn on the in-game radio and listen to the retro or orchestral songs while wandering the Mojave desert, which was one of the highlights of my experience. At first, this might seem like a Fallout 3 v2.0 with a bit of a western influence and I wasn't even too keen on starting playing it after the meh feeling that Fallout 3 left me with, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It might start that way, but it's getting better and better as you progress. This is leagues better than F3 mostly thanks to the fantastic writing, engaging quests, really interesting characters and especially companions, all the different factions you can work for, important choice decisions you have to make and a huge immersive world that I didn't want to leave when I finished the game and that's the best thing you can get from a game. 10/10 Expand
  84. Dec 28, 2013
    Fallout: New Vegas great game!
    I love this game, play days!
    Several do not regret the money spent, keep up the good work! :)
    There are problems but Steam decides everything!
  85. Mar 20, 2014
    The best game ever made with its awesome quests and exploration to its jaw dropping replayability. it also has an extremely active modding community up and going.
  86. Oct 24, 2010
    This is what games should be like. This is a mature game, for those that really want to invest in a game and immerse in the storyline. If you're looking for an on-rails shooter just let this game go and go buy one of the 99% of boring same games out there.

The storyline sucks you in and is much more loyal to the 2 first amazing fallout games. Sure the graphics are dated, and there are the occasional bugs, but the game is challenging (especially in hardcore mode) interesting and keeps you coming for more.

And finally it's an RPG whose storyline is not: The end is coming (the blight, the horde, the dark forces or whatever) and you're the one who has to stop it...There's an original story with much more complex and interesting elements.

If what I mentioned above is what you're looking for in a game, go get it RIGHT NOW
  87. Nov 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of Fallout 3, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this game. First thing I discovered was that Steam was required. Many people will ***** about steam, but I find it to be very useful in organizing, opening and updating games. The game has a mediocre start- you are brought back to health by this stranger in the town of Goodsprings. Yes, it is the same graphics engine. That is good and bad. One of the good things is that the water still looks wonderful from fallout 3. Also, the sky has been greatly improved, so you can see cloud movement. However, the graphics also work against the game with the occasional glitch you see from distant objects. The factions of the game are wonderful- obviously, the folks at Bethesda and Obsidian thought through how quests for each would interfere with other factions, forcing you to take sides. The game is significantly shorter, but this is balanced out with a number of different endings, based on whether you decide to ally with Mr. House, the NCR, Caesar's Legion, or go alone. Many new types of enemies add new gameplay elements and strategies to how you fight. Many magnificent places such as the Hoover Dam and the Strip add glamor to the not so glorious Mojave wasteland. Many people overlook all the glitches, but there are many great features in the game too, that everyone should explore. And with the PC mod community, you won't have to wait long before people create mods that fill up the completely empty freeside, and add new quests to the wasteland. Expand
  88. Mar 1, 2011
    I will be completely honest. Without the mod community this game wouldn't be so great. I played FO3 when it got released and was amazed by the game. When I discovered all these mods that came out I was very impressed with all the work that's been done. Same with New Vegas. The game itself is very enjoyable if you can tolerate the inevitable bugs that come with most Bethesda games. TheI will be completely honest. Without the mod community this game wouldn't be so great. I played FO3 when it got released and was amazed by the game. When I discovered all these mods that came out I was very impressed with all the work that's been done. Same with New Vegas. The game itself is very enjoyable if you can tolerate the inevitable bugs that come with most Bethesda games. The various additions such as iron sights and hardcore mode are sure to please many role players out there. And the mods that the community has made for NV are more than excellent, adding immersion and additional features to the game without making it appear as a stretched-out obvious ugly modded remake of the original. You get completely used to the mods after a while, and you don't want to play the game without them. The mods are sure to cover 90% of the stuff you don't like in the unmodified game.
    Still, you can't exactly treat it as "the next fallout game" because of its similarities to the previous game. But, if the previous game was so good, I'm ok with not changing it this once.
  89. Oct 25, 2010
    PC has been patched up well so most of the negative reviews about this being too glitchy should be reconciled. Plain and simple, this is game is more Fallout 3. And by more I mean a LOT more. Not only is there a lot of content in this game, but the sidequests are really interesting and fun. The faction system is a small but quite potent addition but unfortunately the changes pretty muchPC has been patched up well so most of the negative reviews about this being too glitchy should be reconciled. Plain and simple, this is game is more Fallout 3. And by more I mean a LOT more. Not only is there a lot of content in this game, but the sidequests are really interesting and fun. The faction system is a small but quite potent addition but unfortunately the changes pretty much end there. Bioshock 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 were also very alarmingly similar to their predecessors thought so I guess there's not much to complain about. Point is, if you liked the original Fallout 3 and want more interesting sidequests to play, Fallout: New Vegas is something you cannot ignore. Expand
  90. Oct 19, 2010
    I loved part 3 and i haven't played part 1 and 2 *shame* I love the game engine, already loved it in oblivion and its still fantastic. great areas, nice indoor and tons of non scripted situations that make every step unique in this dangerous future scenario. Not perfect yet, but with dlc, patches and mods it gonna rock even more. 10 points because after the work that has to be done itI loved part 3 and i haven't played part 1 and 2 *shame* I love the game engine, already loved it in oblivion and its still fantastic. great areas, nice indoor and tons of non scripted situations that make every step unique in this dangerous future scenario. Not perfect yet, but with dlc, patches and mods it gonna rock even more. 10 points because after the work that has to be done it would be an 11 or 12 score :) Expand
  91. Oct 20, 2010
    A marvelous addition to the Fallout franchise. Even if the bugs prohibit some players to enjoy the game to it's fullest. They are a minor inconvenience to an otherwise excellent game. The story is compelling, the graphics still hold up to today's standards. Overall, an excellent and a must buy game.
  92. Nov 3, 2010
    Who ever sais that new vegas is a bad Bugged game then u either dont update or have a bad computer.
    Im a huge fan of the fallout series and they are awsome rpg's. I admit it's alot like F3 and could have been named a complete expansion, but the mods and new ammo along with gambling really gave it a different feel. Even with a phew moments of scratching your head seeing an npc walking above the ground or stuck outside the map bethesda/obsidian has made a game of great proportions.
  93. Nov 3, 2010
    Another great game from Bethesda! A lot of improvement since Fallout 3, a really long and intense playtrough with a bunch of side quest.
    The story is more open ended (like Fallout and Fallout 2) than Fallout 3, and reintroduce the reputation system.
    Of course, the PC version maintain the community modding feature... the secret of success of Bethesda games. Hope to see soon some quality

Hope to see soon some quality DLC... maybe like Point Lookout.
    Like I've already say this game is great, and have the potential to improve even more with Mods and DLC.
  94. Nov 7, 2010
    Worthy follow up to fallout 3. You'll never find a game that gives you more freedom than this. Minor bugs and glitches are all excused. To give an idea of what you are free to do, someone completed the whole without killing any people or animals! Took him a 70 hours run though hehe.
  95. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome! Another great job by the guys and gals at Obsidian. Thanks a bunch for an excellent game! Just getting started but I love all that I've seen so far.
  96. Nov 11, 2010
    First of all, this game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda. Obsidian, a.k.a Black Isle has an impressive resume which includes Baldur's Gate 2. This is not Fallout 3. The game engine is the same, as well as the interface and the combat system, but the voice acting, dialogue and sheer volume of quests surpasses Fallout 3 in any way. If you're looking for somethingFirst of all, this game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda. Obsidian, a.k.a Black Isle has an impressive resume which includes Baldur's Gate 2. This is not Fallout 3. The game engine is the same, as well as the interface and the combat system, but the voice acting, dialogue and sheer volume of quests surpasses Fallout 3 in any way. If you're looking for something 100% revolutionary. If you did not like Fallout 3 at all, or found Fallout 3 to be a mediocre game, you might be better off skipping New Vegas.

But, if you even kind of liked Fallout 3, NV is worth picking up. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I'm not a huge fan. New Vegas blew me away and continues to impress me every time I pick it up.
  97. Nov 10, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas plays like Fallout 3 and feels like Fallout 2. Fallout games have been in my top 5 since it first came out. I love the atmosphere the games create. The landscape it puts you in. The non-linear gameplay it presents. The humor and pop-culture references. The stories they create. New Vegas is another great addition to the Fallout universe. There are a lot of tie-ins in theFallout: New Vegas plays like Fallout 3 and feels like Fallout 2. Fallout games have been in my top 5 since it first came out. I love the atmosphere the games create. The landscape it puts you in. The non-linear gameplay it presents. The humor and pop-culture references. The stories they create. New Vegas is another great addition to the Fallout universe. There are a lot of tie-ins in the game with the original Fallout games. It builds on the lore and stories of the world without bogging down the main story for new players with it. The atmosphere is just as good as previous ones. It was a wonderful surprise to hear the same ambient music from Fallout 2. The acting was great, especially with being reminded of Dave Foley when you first hear the Yes Man. (and later I found out it was actually Dave Foley voicing him). The story was great, and realistic considering the setting. But like all Fallout games, the best stories are the ones you create for yourself. Those little adventures off the main path, to explore that cave or abandoned shack you see in the distance or those gun shots you heard from just over the hill. It should please old fans greatly and appeal to new fans as much as Fallout 3 did.

Cons: - The graphics are ok, but this almost being 2011, should be a little better. I would expect them to improve in the next Fallout game.
    - For some reason I really really wanted MORE music on the radio stations. It didn't seem like they had enough this time around. But it was still great voice acting!
    - Hardcore mode doesn't seem to be hardcore enough. But a wonderful addition nonetheless!
    - I don't understand why you can't fully rotate the camera.
    - Invisible walls. There are a lot more of then in New Vegas then Fallout 3. I explore a lot, and when I can't go over a 4 foot high hill due to an invisible wall, that is really really really really disappointing and take you out of the experience. Then you have to walk around it.. there's no excuse for this in today's games, but a lot of games STILL have that. New Vegas, more so then others.
    - The bugs that everyone is apparently having is sure a downer. If anything that's staying true to the Fallout franchise. Every Fallout game was loaded with bugs on release. Fallout 2 even had a community patch to fix most of them. This is nothing new in the video game world. I however did not experience any "game ending" bugs. Out of the 80 some hours I put into it, its crashed once. And I had 1 buggy quest that I had to use the console command to fix, since I seemingly did it out of order. And that's it.

If anyone wants a wild theory as to why my game is preforming so much better then others with almost no bugs, maybe its because I have a weird need to open the door to every bathroom stall I come across? Just a theory that holds as much weight as some of the complaints for this game.

I was however impressed with how fast patches started to come out of the game. The day after release was a major patch even. So people who are giving it a bad review for the bugs, let me ask you this, would you give it a better review if you played it, say a month after release? I can't see how you would not.
  98. Jun 25, 2014
    Killed a man, his wife, stole his stuff, got a .50 Caliber rifle with Explosive Ammo, gibbed zombies, had sex, gibbed hooker, took over Las Vegas, and was home in time for corn flakes.
  99. Oct 25, 2010
    This is an excellent game, unfortunately marred by so many technical problems at launch it was ruined for many PC gamers. My review score ignores all the technical problems, and there is a lot. Be warned that you will likely have extremely poor performance and other technical issues galore. If you aren't up for some forum searching, tweaking and waiting for patches, don't bother buyingThis is an excellent game, unfortunately marred by so many technical problems at launch it was ruined for many PC gamers. My review score ignores all the technical problems, and there is a lot. Be warned that you will likely have extremely poor performance and other technical issues galore. If you aren't up for some forum searching, tweaking and waiting for patches, don't bother buying the PC version. Basically if you loved Fallout 3, you'll really love this game. The formula hasn't changed much, but the additions to crafting, faction reputations, gun modding, ammo types, survival skills, hardcore mode, improved companion system, etc has improved the experience a lot. Obsidian's excellent storyline and dialog writing improves things further, giving characters and locations more personality and likely drawing more than a few laughs from you as you play. After a few months of patches this game will be the masterpiece everyone hoped it would be out of the box. Expand
  100. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas has grown in so many ways. Numerous more weapons, voice actors, skins, apparel, and factions to side with. Also, there are numerous new ways to advance your character past the old kill, pick, hack, coerce, complete quest experience gain. Now there are challenges to complete that sometimes supply a new perk, two extra traits to choose during character creation, and even the choice of your companion can offer a perk (Ex. Boone's Spotter perk). Hardcore mode does not seem as hardcore as it could, as you can easily find food, water, and a place to sleep, and making the stimpaks and radaways tick per second only causes a few retries on the tougher encounters. At launch many people had saving issues which is a nightmare for those who lost and couldn't find their many hours of game data, though the manual save feature has and still does work. Graphics seem improved due to the amount of what is to be seen on the screen during larger battles and the entry of New Vegas Strip. The decisions of the player make for a different ending each time, but once you complete the main story line, do not expect to continue on unless you have an old save file. New Vegas has proved to be an impressive title that lives up to most of its fans expectations. Expand
  101. Oct 5, 2012
    I just dont get the insane claims that this game is that much better or worse that Fallout 3. Nor can I see that the 2 recent games are so bad or such an insult to the SACRED memories of Fallouts 1 & 2. This game is, like Fallout 3. And you can actually play either or both of them without the other game suffering for it. Its a glorious, huge wastelannd again, and unlike Skyrim, its full ofI just dont get the insane claims that this game is that much better or worse that Fallout 3. Nor can I see that the 2 recent games are so bad or such an insult to the SACRED memories of Fallouts 1 & 2. This game is, like Fallout 3. And you can actually play either or both of them without the other game suffering for it. Its a glorious, huge wastelannd again, and unlike Skyrim, its full of great writing, interesting NPCs and great plots and stories. The UI is great. Character progression is great. Itemisation is awesome. There are so many different, enjoyable skill sets, weapon load out and play options that this game can be repyed numreous times and enjoyed all the way. A MASTERPIECE. Up there witht the best games ever! Brilliant game design! Collapse

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.