8.4

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1976 Ratings

1. May 14, 2015
    If you have never played Fallout New Vegas and are sitting here reading reviews... GET UP AND BUY IT NOW!!!!

Seriously, go buy it, right this second. Just be sure to say good bye to your loved ones because you won't see them for like 2 weeks.
  2. May 12, 2015
  3. May 7, 2015
    This is my favorite game. 1st place. I played in it and all DLCs for more than 200 hours and then played Fallout 3. This is not only about RPG+survival. It's about unique atmosphere which you cannot get with many games.
    My 2nd place game: Mass Effect 1,2,3
    3rd place: Deus Ex all parts.
  4. May 6, 2015
    Well, sometimes people think a 10 is too much for a buggy game. I don't.
    Well, sometimes people think a 10 is too much for a buggy game. I don't.
    I was a big fan of TES series, and never paid much attention to Fallout. One day, a friend of mine bought FO3 for me. Easily I got 40 hours of gameplay, I was addicted! Then, I bought Fallout: New Vegas. It's GREAT. Ok, there are bugs but... they can be easily solved with console commands or so... So many things to do, so many possibilities... I can't stand seeing people rating it with 4 or minus than this. The creators put a LOT OF effort on this game, and we can see it. Big games have their bugs. Skyrim say this for himself.
    So I highly recommend this for EVERYBODY who likes Skyrim / RPG's / post-apo games.
  5. Apr 21, 2015
    I think FNV is the best of all the "new" Fallouts. It's deep, open ended, has a few endings, lots of stuff to find and explore, and many different interesting characters to deal/talk with.

It is one of the best games that came out since the year 2000 (Everything in the game is at the very least good). Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should

Anyone who is interested in role-playing games (not action adventure ones), should buy this one, or at the very least try it somehow.

I strongly recommend buying this one... especially at the low steam price. :)
  6. Apr 17, 2015
    Fantastic game..With all of the INCREDIBLE mods for this game makes it a Perfect 10. The greatest of all the Fallout series...The companions and their stories just make you care so much about them. I have an UNCOUNTED numbers of playing this (500+).

The weaponry and landscape, along with the various dangers, makes this the Game of the Year of 2010!
  7. Apr 15, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and whiteFallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time. Even though it suffered from a rushed development cycle, aged assets taken from it's predecessor Fallout 3, and the usual flurry of bugs/glitches on release; it has aged into an amazing game with proper, interesting DLC. The story is wonderfully gray and open to match this large, open world. You don't feel like a black and white hero/villain simply following a bread crumb trail. As much as I loved Fallout 3, this is what the original Fallout creators wanted to see happen to the IP.

PS: Even though this game is still bringing money into Bethesda's pockets 5 years later, Obsidian was denied a bonus because of the initial review scores posted on this website. They needed to score an 85 on here and scored an 84. If every reviewer did an ultimate edition review it would almost certainly break 85 or even 90 metascore. Obsidian developers, and those laid off after the project, should get compensation. If this industry wasn't so ass backwards.
  8. Apr 1, 2015
    This is one of my fauvorite games . It is already 5 years old, but this game is still good now as it was then . I highly recommend - this game is a all-time classic . I will be playiung it also in 5 years again . Unbelievable atmospere, the same feeling I had when playing Terminator : Future shock 15 or so years ago - the post appocalypse feeling only Bethesda can provide .
  9. Mar 24, 2015
    To most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better thanTo most Fallout purists Fallout: New Vegas is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. Taking a broader step in to the first person arena, and bringing us back to the west makes this game stand head and shoulders above it's predecessor, and nearly shoulder to shoulder with Fallout 2. With current patches the bugs have been more or less squashed and stability improved to even better than Fallout 3 with current patches. So lets get on to the game it self. Like any self respecting Fallout title your character, the Courier in this case, starts with a fairly simple main task. This time the main task is getting revenge. From there the story expands and if you play your cards right you might just save the world.

The good: The tweaks Obsidian gave the Gamebryo engine make this game look far more polished than Fallout 3 and makes things feel a bit more real. The characters in this game are much more colorful than 3's were and rival the characters of Fallout and Fallout 2. This game was worked on by a lot of old hands from Black Isle who developed the first two games, as a result the humor is back, in a very big way if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait. The game recaptures that desolate desert feeling of the originals and the open feeling they gave you. The music, especially on the radio is fantastic and really shapes up the atmosphere. Though I failed to mention it in my Fallout 3 review Fallout 3 does have that same feeling. On the subject of sound the voice talent is again top notch like all Fallout games. Ron Perlman returns yet again a s our Narrator, Michael Dorn returns as the Super Mutant Marcus, Wayne Newton graces our radios as Mr. New Vegas. Not to mention other huge stars and great voice actors who lend their voices in this game. With the most current patches the game feels solid and tight. Along with the Main game the DLC adds hours of fun to the game. Again having the PC version is paramount due to the mod-friendliness of the game, and again we get the GECK to make our own mods when the creativity bug bites. The mods are doubly important as they can extend the games life several times past the main play throughs of the game. Also like Fallout 3 this game rewards exploration, and if you can see it in the distance, chances are you can go there. The best part in my opinion is the return of the Super Mutants and Nightkin from the Miraposa Military Base/Masters Army. It's nice to have some intelligent Super Mutants wandering around rather than the dumb as dirt ones from Fallout 3. Possibly the best part is that this game more fully embraces the Lore of Fallout and adds back in a lot of the sleaze factor that made the originals so desolately charming. There are also some nods to the originals, though Fallout 3 had them there were fewer there than here, and they felt less sincere than this time. One last thing here, if you pick energy weapons as a tag skill to start, you get an energy weapon to start with, finally we're not punished for liking laser guns!

The bad: Still no usable vehicles or mounts... Still that matters a lot less than it did in Fallout 3 due to better spacing of towns and outposts in which to resupply. We still didn't get back the vault doors of the originals which is somewhat disappointing. Some bugs still crop up with the newest patches, but I've yet to run into any game breakers. The path feels a bit linear compared to previous titles even the third instalment, still there are plenty of reasons to back track which makes it all worth while. The lack of intelligent Deathclaws and those nasty Wanamingos from Fallout 2 feel like a sorely missed opportunity.
    That damned companion limit of 2. Really please bring back the Charisma based companion limit. The final note on the bad: This game was made by Obsidian, and it feels like it. By that I mean it feels like there's a little bit missing, this is because there is a little bit missing. As with almost every Obsidian game a few things that really leave a gap when cut, were cut. This is almost always due to deadlines with Obsidian, and not for artistic reasons like exhibited by Black Isle. This is also why the game need as many patches as it received.

Other thoughts: V.A.T.S. still feels useless in a real time game, but it's still very entertaining to kill enemies with it. Obsidian contains a lot of old hands from Black Isle Studio who made the original games.

Final thoughts: This really does seem like the game Fallout 3 should have been. It stands shoulder to shoulder with Fallout and Fallout 2 and a bit taller than 3. It captures the feeling and spirit of the originals, while elevating that to the first person arena. Proving that some games can make the leap to 3D. It's an excellent addition to the Fallout universe, an excellent RPG, and an excellent game that all RPG, FPS, and Fallout fans should have in their library.
  10. Mar 10, 2015
    Basically the same game as Fallout 3. I mean even the computer part was the same... cmon! If you play this game longer than 30 hours it is because you're bored and trying to get your money's worth...
  11. Feb 25, 2015
    Fallout: New Vegas is far more advanced than its predecessor, more difficult, more items, more characters and more everything. The story however, is slightly inferior than that of Fallout 3's story, with less emotion and lack of explanations. You're pretty much killed then 'revived' and you go on a rampaging killing-spree in search of your killer for revenge! Just like Fallout 3 (withoutFallout: New Vegas is far more advanced than its predecessor, more difficult, more items, more characters and more everything. The story however, is slightly inferior than that of Fallout 3's story, with less emotion and lack of explanations. You're pretty much killed then 'revived' and you go on a rampaging killing-spree in search of your killer for revenge! Just like Fallout 3 (without Broken Steel), you cannot play after the final mission which is extremely disappointing and underwhelming. The DLC's definitely improve and are far better than Fallout 3's notoriously short and linear DLC's.

TL;DR if you prefer a more advanced game with more content than its predecessor that has a superior storyline, you will certainly enjoy this game. If you prefer having more reasoning and explanation and overall better plot, you will prefer Fallout 3 to this game.
  12. Feb 24, 2015
    A lot of people think 'Fallout 3' is better than 'New Vegas', but I happen to disagree with this sentiment. To me 'Fallout 3' felt very unbalanced in terms of combat, and maybe I was just terrible at it, but enemies were way too difficult to kill at the beginning of the campaign, and it kept me from putting more than a few hours into it my first time around. On the other hand, playing 'NewA lot of people think 'Fallout 3' is better than 'New Vegas', but I happen to disagree with this sentiment. To me 'Fallout 3' felt very unbalanced in terms of combat, and maybe I was just terrible at it, but enemies were way too difficult to kill at the beginning of the campaign, and it kept me from putting more than a few hours into it my first time around. On the other hand, playing 'New Vegas' for the first time felt much more inviting in terms of the overall pace of the story, and I ended up putting almost thirty hours into it. Take that however you'd like, but my experience with 'New Vegas' was much more enjoyable than my time spent with 'Fallout 3'.

Now my overall feelings towards both of these games may be slightly biased as 'New Vegas' happened to be the first open world first person shooter that I sunk a significant amount of time into, but it just feels like a more polished, better game. This may also have something to do with the fantastic soundtrack that accompanies you along the way of the 'New Vegas' campaign. There's just something oddly entertaining about destroying robots while listening to songs from Dean Martin and the rest of the 'Rat Pack' that really puts me at ease.

In conclusion, if you’re looking for a game that you can spend almost thirty hours on before completing then look no further than 'Fallout: New Vegas'. Everyone knows that the Fallout games are amazing and this installation of the series is no different. The environment is fascinating, the characters are interesting, and the missions never get stale. Easily one of the best open world shooters to date, you're a damn fool if you don't pick this one up as soon as possible to sink your metaphorical teeth into as well. Well, what are you still doing here?
  13. Feb 15, 2015
    I loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. TheI loved Fallout 3, but it was pretty dark and relentless, limiting its replay ability for me. Not so with Fallout: New Vegas! I don't know why this game isn't ranked in the 90s - five years after its release its still my favorite game EVER. So much fun to play, so clever, and so FUNNY. The quests are (mostly) so well-written that they are a pleasure every time you go through them. The wide-open (not linear) world gives you a great sense of freedom and choices of how to play. There are so many crazy/fun characters. After five years, New Vegas feels like a chapter from my life ("remember a few years ago when you spent a few months in New Vegas making all those cool friends, killing all those bad guys, and saving everyone from Caesar's Legion?"). It's like a vacation spot I can't wait to return to. So I often do. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2015
    For it’s flaws, it really is a great game. Even if I wouldn’t want to play it again, it brings some really neat features to the franchise that I hope will continue on into future games. I would really like to see Hardcore mode, special ammunition, weapon modding and Challenges come back for the next Fallout game, but a lot of the other design choices really took away from what I feel aFor it’s flaws, it really is a great game. Even if I wouldn’t want to play it again, it brings some really neat features to the franchise that I hope will continue on into future games. I would really like to see Hardcore mode, special ammunition, weapon modding and Challenges come back for the next Fallout game, but a lot of the other design choices really took away from what I feel a Fallout game is, and this made it not as much fun as it could have been for me. However with over 150 hours of playtime for the completionist, the game is definitely worth the current price point, especially if you catch it on sale. It is worth looking at for anyone who loves Fallout, and post apocalyptic settings in general. Expand
  15. Jan 18, 2015
    Excellent game that can be played forever. Lots of fan based mods that extend its playability and life. Download the free game editor and make your own mods. It's all great fun.

The game itself falls short of Fallout 3 by quite a bit in both the quality of missions and the detailed of the levels. Fallout New Vegas takes part in the Mojave Desert whereas Fallout 3 takes place in Washington DC, a much more interesting, feature rich and complicated area.

Both games crash a lot, usually when you don't want it to crash. Thankfully, there's a mod (CASM) that will automatically save the game periodically so the player doesn't have to replay too much to recover, but it's still annoying. Why can't the developer fix it? Bad points for the developer - you know who you are.

Steam deeply discounts this game from time to time with all the DLCs. Wait for the sale then scoop it up.
  16. Jan 4, 2015
    Great game. I don't like it more than I like Fo3, or even as much, but I do like it.

The only big letdown really was the Vegas Strip itself. I remember feeling, "So that's it?" when I first reached it upon release. Needing a high amount of Caps just to get into a small 2-instanced area was.... I dunno, but I'm surprised more people aren't peeved at how weak the gem of the game actually felt. Also, choosing who gets control over it (Ceaser, House, You) offers very littler difference. If you choose yourself, you will not notice anything particularly special about "owning" the Strip. No incentives/bonuses, you still have to check your weapons at the casino's, etc.

The voice acting is another thing I'd like to reflect on. Fallout 3's was pretty consistent, but NV's is a mixed bag. VA's like Laura Bailey deliver their lines effectively enough, but others, like Chanadler Bong's (Matthew Perry) feel rushed and phoned in.

One other thing- the writing. I've seen people say, "I like NV better because the writing was better". Huh? I'm not saying FO3's was better, but I'm saying it's pretty much the same in both games. There are actual deep missions in FO3, same as NV. One does not seem better than the other to me.

Other than that, it's everything you loved about FO3- but more, more or less. More ammo, perks, quests than FO3. The only other gripe I have is the map- it's kind of small and barren. In FO3, you have towns and metro systems. In NV, you have the Strip, some military camps, some refugee camps, and a few (small) towns. I found NV to mostly be sand, whereas in FO3 you have towns and the Capitol Hill to traipse through.

All in all, I'd recommend both titles played in no particular order, as they both offer a great Fallout experience, even if each a little varied.
  17. Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite game ever! It has amazing characters, amazing writing and Its really cheap at the moment. Its and improvement on its predecessor in many ways. I've played this game for 130+ hours and the modding community just keeps adding more to my playtime. I really do adore this game.

P.S Don't listen to HardcoreGamer27 his review makes no sense hes probably just a troll.
  18. Dec 21, 2014
    I wanted to like this game (with its supposed focus on freedom and interesting characters), but could not.
    It felt very dated, and there were too many immersion breaking flaws and bugs. In terms of graphics, level design, and animations, this feels like a game from 2005 (to a lesser extent also true for TES:Oblivion, but it certainly bothered me less there).
    The main quest offers good
    The main quest offers good freedom of choice, but otherwise quests are mostly quantity over quality – a hallmark of Bethesda. Some of the characters were entertaining though, and voice acting is fairly good. Character leveling and perks are also quite well done.
    The interface looks cool but is a total pain to use. There are no keyboard hotkeys, which means switching weapons or healing requires browsing through the full menu each time!
    Combat feels unbalanced (Oblivion and Skyrim were slightly better here) ranging from ok to frustratingly tedious or difficult. The difficulty of various foes often does not match with the expectations the game lore may give you. Enemies run around without any movement inertia making them frustratingly difficult to aim at. Hitbox detection is not great, and your bullets are often blocked by invisible walls if they pass near geometry. I also had lots of enemies get stuck behind geometry, with only legs clipping through the wall. Worst of all, at one point, my gun would not fire bullets – I would hear and see the gun fire, and the ammo counter would work, but no bullets – I got eaten alive, both ingame and in terms of frustration.
    The mod experience was bad: I could not get most mods to work despite following all instructions etc. The mod scene may be vibrant, but it is still a total mess. It lacks curatorial refinement and there are no “1-click install” total-overhaul supermods (like the “complete” mod series for the Stalker games).

Buried underneath all the flaws is a good game, and you might find it, but I gave up after days of digging.
  19. Dec 17, 2014
    After finishing the game 4 times with 4 different characters and having seen 4 different endings I have this to say.Fallout New Vegas is a good role playing game.I didn't liked the expansions but the core game had an interesting story and choices.Nice guns,nice feeling,almost no bugs.What is not to like?I would give it a nine but because of the hatters I am forced to give it a ten.
  20. Dec 1, 2014
    Great game i loved almost everything in it the political battles between the factions the fact that every small thing you do affect the ending the variety of companions each with his own perks and personality
    The weapons anda armor are super cool and the well done and interesting quests
    The things I dislike are the bugs and that there is no improvement to fallout 3
  21. Nov 30, 2014
    Apart from a slight graphical update, and the person writing the code for this port wasn't sniffing from a bucket of cocaine, there isn't really anything that was really improved from the console versions. The loading time is still ridiculous, and the game still has that "lifeless" feel to it. The only thing that was improved here was the bugs. don't get me wrong, there is still way toApart from a slight graphical update, and the person writing the code for this port wasn't sniffing from a bucket of cocaine, there isn't really anything that was really improved from the console versions. The loading time is still ridiculous, and the game still has that "lifeless" feel to it. The only thing that was improved here was the bugs. don't get me wrong, there is still way to many for this to be considered a "finished game" but the crashes and most of the quest bugs are gone. The only reason i gave this a 4 instead of a 2 is because of the amazing modding community. They make Bethesda games what they are. Unless you can get this for under 10 dollars (which is possible on steam) I would not recommend it. Play Fallout 3 instead. Expand
  22. Nov 27, 2014
    One word... Orgasmic! Everything good about has already been said so I'll just try to be brief. I played Fallout: NV on PC and since I had to option to mod it to the high heavens, well, why not? So I looked around and decided to play it with the Project Nevada Mod. Holy hell, the experience was fantastic. With the super dark nights, forcing me to use night vision or thermal after dark, theOne word... Orgasmic! Everything good about has already been said so I'll just try to be brief. I played Fallout: NV on PC and since I had to option to mod it to the high heavens, well, why not? So I looked around and decided to play it with the Project Nevada Mod. Holy hell, the experience was fantastic. With the super dark nights, forcing me to use night vision or thermal after dark, the game's immersion levels blew me away. The tons of new stuff and bug fixes from this mod are crazy. Thanks Modders! After more than 150 hours playing, I have to say, if you like post-apocalyptic open-world RPGs, it doesn't get any better than this. It's up there with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2014
    I really like a good RPG, what I define as good is everything that Fallout New Vegas has.

A lengthy game 100 hours plus to complete everything including all achievements. A great big massive open world to explore that feels alive with seemingly endless quests. Gripping story that keeps you playing. Interesting and varied NPC's. Choices to make that can be very hard to decide,

Gripping story that keeps you playing.
    Interesting and varied NPC's.
    Choices to make that can be very hard to decide, especially since you aren't sure of the outcome, will make you wonder, should I have made that choice??

Very customisable, can play the way you want. I love being a sneaky kleptomaniac sniper that picks off enemies from afar and steals everything.

Enjoy having companions, my fave being the eyebot who plays battle/victory music.

The only things I dislike is that getting bad karma when stealing doesn't seem to do anything.
    I've sneakily stolen everything I can, but did quests to help out the towns and still end up idolised. I guess my good deeds outweigh my bad.

Weapons and armour deteriorate too fast, making me think that ppl in Mojave don't know how to make quality weapons, but at least I can make my own weapon repair kits, so not too much of a problem.

Game suffers from occasional crashing, freezing and game not loading on first try and area not loading after fast travel.

This is a must play game and I strongly recommend it.
  24. Oct 22, 2014
    First off, I am a hardcore Fallout fan. Got over 400 hours in New Vegas alone. It's far from perfect though. There are some game breaking glitches, the visuals aren't amazing and you might end up getting stuck in the ground per occasion. Trust me though, it's worth it!
  25. Oct 19, 2014
    I love this game the environment and ambiance which transports you into the game and makes it a truly immersive experience. I only wish it wouldn't crash as often which is why it doesn't get a 10
  26. Oct 6, 2014
    This is a very good game overall, especially if you like large open-world RPG. I have spent about 70 hours on it, finishing the main story, all the DLCs and reaching max level. I started and finished the game in 2014 (4 years after release). I have done my playthrough on hardcore mode on a normal difficulty. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros: - Atmosphere: the post-apocalyptic feeling

Pros:

- Atmosphere: the post-apocalyptic feeling is well done. The world actually feels coherent. To be continued in cons.
    - "Cast": I wouldn't go as far as saying that the game characters have deep personalities, but you do get attached to some of your side kicks. For instance, I really couldn't part with E-DE, a robot that just "talks" to you through bips (a bit like R2-D2).
    - Graphics: provided you tweaked them with available mods, the graphics are ok for a game that came out 4 years ago. Yeah, it's not like you are going to be mind blown either, but your eyes won't melt when you start playing.
    - Gameplay: this is standard Fallout 3 gameplay. I do appreciate a few things though:
    - The VATS system that was overpowered in the previous installment has been recalibrated and is useful but not so much that you can just go out and uniquely use that to destroy mobs.
    - The leveling is much more balanced, you only get a perk every 2 levels and a lot less skills point per level. Overall that is a good thing. To a certain extent, you need to make choices. You can still max out all the skills if you want to (using books) but with all DLCs installed, I am pretty sure you will have a hard time finding what perks you want.
    - The addition of the hardcore mode is interesting. I like that your character needs to eat, sleep and drink. Sure it is a wee bit annoying to carry food around, but you can actually deactivate it if you don't feel like micromanaging your inventory.

Cons:

- Bugs: the engine is not very good, every couple of hours your loading screen will crash. Then there are a lot of issues with quests and order. Even if I installed unofficial bug fix mods for the main game and DLC (which is a long process, took me about 2 hours maybe).
    - Atmosphere: although I really enjoyed walking around the Mojave desert with my scoped hunting rifle, head shooting things as they came, some part of it were not that great. One of the weirdest thing for me is Caesar legion. I mean what the hell??? I am all for the disruptive scenario (which is great, especially with all the available endings), but having pseudo legionnaires walking around with guns and sunglasses feels broken to me. I am fine with the transvestite super mutant or the cyborg dog, that's typical Fallout humor. But I wish that the "mean" faction looked and felt a bit more scary and dangerous.

In conclusion, I did enjoy the game very much. I wouldn't replay it though. Overall, and that is a similar comment I would write about Fallout 3, I don't feel these games capture that well the spirit of Fallout. I don't have the same sensations that I had when I came out of Vault 13 in a cave full of rats with my 10mm pistol. In addition to that, even though the open world is big, it doesn't feel as such. I long for a game that makes me feel the immensity of nuclear wasteland, where radiations kill and need to be avoided. In the end, I wish Bethesda/Obsidian would just drop the Fallout franchise and provide us with a fresh new post-apocalyptic world that would work with an "Elder Scroll" type game.
  27. Oct 2, 2014
    This game is one step under a masterpiece,I love this game,I have put many many hours into it,The only bad thing about it is it's bugs and Kinda silly AI ,I love the fallout games (Fallout 3 being my favorite),So I give This game a 7/10
  28. Oct 1, 2014
    I have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves youI have an extremely hard time rating a game a 10, and I really dont' want to rate it a 10 because it's not perfect, there are bugs, there are glitches, and you will encounter them in your playthrough, guaranteed. There are even story problems where entire quests are bugged or not fully implemented, and one of the storyline quest factions which is a major player in the story leaves you with a less rich experience than the others, but when all's said and done, I've put over 200 hours into this game and am still entertained by it.

New Vegas just feels like what 'Fallout 3' was supposed to be, story and gameplay-wise. The team that worked on it had developers that worked on the original series and the cancelled sequel code named 'Van Buren' and contains story elements from it and the continuity of Fallout 2. The story is set out in front of you, and it's entirely up to you how you want to carry it forward. The gameplay mechanics from F3 carry over with some small and large tweaks, and some of them are made obsolete by new systems.

After the 'vanilla' game is starting to get stale, there are countless modifications players have made to make gameplay or visual changes or completely overhaul the game to make a 'call of duty' style shooter, or a RTS style field commander game, or even a fully loaded casino simulator. If you are a shooter or rpg fan make sure you pick this up, you can find it on steam for as low as $5, so keep an eye out.

To recap, it's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and get lost in the wasteland.
  29. Sep 26, 2014
    One of my Favourite games. It still isn't as good as Fallout 3 but still a 9. I would give it 10 if it wasn't buggy. It has great missions, very detailed backstory to all the missions. The 2 big let downs were the bugs and the DLC. The DLC wasnt very interesting and that was the big let down to the game. Would recommend. Only buy the DLC if on sale. It is a must have game.
  30. Sep 14, 2014
    Simply awesome game. -1 point for bugs and crashes i experienced and they are not fixed until now (example of flash bang from end of lonesome road where all weapon related stats permanently changed to 0, personally discovered it 20 hours later ... >.> )
  31. Sep 13, 2014
    Okay, when i first played this back in 2012...I think. I thought that game was boring like a McDonald's pancake without the syrup and butter. So I decided to try this game one more time. I've been playing it and have to say this game has so much content and I haven't been bored yet. Just when you think you have seen everything you stumble into another "deep" side mission. I don't want goOkay, when i first played this back in 2012...I think. I thought that game was boring like a McDonald's pancake without the syrup and butter. So I decided to try this game one more time. I've been playing it and have to say this game has so much content and I haven't been bored yet. Just when you think you have seen everything you stumble into another "deep" side mission. I don't want go in detail about missions but you have to try it. In my opinion the main story isn't as strong as Fallout 3. Even though I have read the original Fallout games were more mature and better than Fallout 3. There's these giant mutated bees called Cazadores. They will **** your **** up if ain't at a high level or prepared your character with enough anti-venom. There's Three main factions N.C.R, The Legion, and The Khans. There other factions you can join because I joined The White Glove Society. Wearing certain armor from a different faction can cause npc to treat you different.
    The landscape and wasteland has more of a rundown apocalyptic feel than Fallout 3. I liked the choice of songs in Fallout 3 radio station a little more than this selection but it's still good. My character is a level 25 with high speech, unarmed, and melee skills. My character just survived being decimated by Boomer artillery as she tried to get into their base. There's also different companions I have found three. I have a robot companion. It's a good game!
  32. Aug 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, theI absolutely love this game. I would give it a 10/10 if it weren't for all the bugs and glitches you encounter (trust me, there are a LOT), but the vast majority are minor inconveniences. The combat system could use some work, but even then, that's more of a subjective issue, and I could see someone love it, and another hate it. The plot is great, the lore is deep and interesting, the characters are a lot of fun, the atmosphere is incredible, the sheer amount of possible endings is mind boggling, it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and it features the voice acting talents of Dave Foley in a major role. All in all, it's a great game that I'd put in a Best of All Time list for sure, and I think it'd be just about perfect if they would fix the bugs I encountered. Just make sure you have a lot of time you can spend on this one, it took me nearly 72 hours to get through it, and I didn't even 100% it. I very strongly recommend Fallout New Vegas. Expand
  33. Aug 24, 2014
    In a game where the path that you choose determines the gameplay experience entirely, guns, people, politics, slavery, gambling, and war are the main themes, as the courier (you) step into the Mojave desert. A world filled with interesting people, societies and cultures. Mods that shape the world given upon you the way you see fit are easy to find and install. Fallout: New Vegas combinesIn a game where the path that you choose determines the gameplay experience entirely, guns, people, politics, slavery, gambling, and war are the main themes, as the courier (you) step into the Mojave desert. A world filled with interesting people, societies and cultures. Mods that shape the world given upon you the way you see fit are easy to find and install. Fallout: New Vegas combines RPG and FPS in what i would have called a masterpiece if it was not for the enormous amount of bugs making often use of the console and quick-save required in order to not f***k everything up. If you have not yet played this game, then what are you waiting for? Go do it right now! Expand
  34. Aug 18, 2014
    I will say on Ps3 it is buugy it will freeze and you will cry because you were playing one of the best games you ever played and it just froze on you.
  35. Aug 3, 2014
    Excellent post-apocalyptic RPG! After disappointing Fallout 3, New Vegas is finally returning the Fallout series to top form of the original classics from the 90's. This is what F3 could have been in the first place, mostly thanks to the work of some of the original Fallout creators. You can really feel they respect and expand the Fallout universe and lore, getting back to some of theExcellent post-apocalyptic RPG! After disappointing Fallout 3, New Vegas is finally returning the Fallout series to top form of the original classics from the 90's. This is what F3 could have been in the first place, mostly thanks to the work of some of the original Fallout creators. You can really feel they respect and expand the Fallout universe and lore, getting back to some of the legends, characters and even using some of the masterpiece music by Mark Morgan, because they realize this ambient gem is the crucial reason why original Fallout series had such breathtaking post-apo atmosphere, so they bring some of it back. Inon Zur cannot compare to Mark Morgan, but at least you can turn on the in-game radio and listen to the retro or orchestral songs while wandering the Mojave desert, which was one of the highlights of my experience. At first, this might seem like a Fallout 3 v2.0 with a bit of a western influence and I wasn't even too keen on starting playing it after the meh feeling that Fallout 3 left me with, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It might start that way, but it's getting better and better as you progress. This is leagues better than F3 mostly thanks to the fantastic writing, engaging quests, really interesting characters and especially companions, all the different factions you can work for, important choice decisions you have to make and a huge immersive world that I didn't want to leave when I finished the game and that's the best thing you can get from a game. 10/10 Expand
  36. Aug 1, 2014
    Ah, Fallout: New Vegas. The first Fallout game I've played, and a nice introduction as well. Fallout: New Vegas has that.... Bethesda feel. You know, the same little details that are in most Bethesda games. Big, open world, tons of quests and side quests, a large selection of weapons, mods (if you own it on PC), and a whole lot more.

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of

However, as it is a very big game, it has lots of bugs and glitches. Some of them may crash your game, or cause some weird graphical errors, but that's fine. It's the game breaking bugs that you gotta worry about. These usually happen when you don't install a mod right, and can seriously break your game where you can't play it. Like, you REALLY can't play it. Uninstalling it won't work (in most cases) and sometimes you may even spend hundreds of dollars just re-buying the game.

Game breaking bugs aside, Fallout: New Vegas is definitely worth your money.
  37. Jul 25, 2014
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. Still, it doesn't compare to the original Fallout games in its complexity. Bethesda's idea of turn-based combat, the VAC system, slows the game down unnecessarily.
  38. Jul 19, 2014
    Whatever any of the other reviews say doesn't matter, There has never been any other game that i have ever played that i spent more time playing and enjoyed more than the fallout series. Between fallout 3, fallout new Vegas and Skyrim, these are my favorite games of all time and i have been a gamer for over 20 years.
  39. Jul 10, 2014
    A broken and crappy console port. The game's UI is especially designed for console, with no shortcut key to quickly access various info. panel and weapon switching. Player have to do a lot of navigation before they can either use item, repair equipment, check map and the quest logs.

Also, the game is extremely buggy. Calling out the map too frequently may result in a black screen of crash. Loading to a new map can also cause random crash. The scripted events are the worse I have seen in the life, a crash can even occur when a NPC is supposed to leave the building by script.

This game is indeed an elder scroll with fallout theme, with an extremely large map including lots of waste land, which serves no value to either plot or adventure. The game is made just like a survival game rather than the good old epic classic RPG game, completely deviating from the ideas of Fallout.

Simply copying the VATS from a tactical game to a FPS game won't work. It is just plain boring when using that ability in FPS, slowing down the pace too much.

At last, some more polishing should be done to the UI. No one wants to watch an inventory item menu flooded with words only, even Fallout 1 and 2 have icons associated with the items. What a great mess and disaster to look at the menu when you have lots of items.
  40. Jul 9, 2014
    Making decent sequels for successful games isn't easy. Sequel should pay some kind of respect to original game, but also offer new content and be self-contained enough to not feel like bunch of recycled ideas. New vegas manages to find this balance nicely. Basically you get more of the same Fallout goodness and it still feels fresh enough to keep you interested.

New feature worth

New feature worth mentioning is the faction system, where you gain reputation (good, bad or mixed) based on your actions. Different groups will react differently to you, based on your past actions towards them. Every group will also have their own conflicting agendas and it can be hard to try please them all. I think the system worked quite nicely and added some depth to the game and character interactions.

Only major shortcoming are the DLCs which pretty much suck. I guess 'Old world blues' was near decent, but interrupting the main plot for ~10 hours to do something completely unrelated just didn't work for me. Also honorable mention to 'Lonesome road' which was boring as hell, but at least you could quit playing it without completing the whole DLC.
  41. Jul 7, 2014
    Fallout 2 stands as one of my favorite games of all time, not to mention one of the best cRPGs ever made. When I heard that Obsidian Entertainment (comprised out of most of the people behind Fallout 2 and some of the developers of the original Fallout) I got giddy with excitement. Then when I realized that it will by published by Bethesda and using their engine I was sad. The reason isFallout 2 stands as one of my favorite games of all time, not to mention one of the best cRPGs ever made. When I heard that Obsidian Entertainment (comprised out of most of the people behind Fallout 2 and some of the developers of the original Fallout) I got giddy with excitement. Then when I realized that it will by published by Bethesda and using their engine I was sad. The reason is that Bethesda are your typical publisher, they don't care about games as works of art, just as products to be sold, this is reflected in both the horrendous Fallout 3, which not only dumbed down Fallout and brought in a load of mouthbreathing amoebas calling themselves "fallout fans" yet they have only played Fallout 3 which stands as the worst game in the franchise.
    Regardless, New Vegas was released, it was a buggy mess on release, this is entirely Bethesda's fault, because it was their end of the contract to handle QA and testing, they failed to deliver on that, while simultaneously giving Obsidian only 18 months to develop a RPG, that's downright satanic.
    But what about the game itself?
    Well, beneath the veneer of fecal matter that is Gamebryo there is an incredibly solid RPG, with varied gameplay, non-linear quests, proper RPG mechanics (unlike Fallout 3), extremely detailed world which fits exactly with the lore of Fallout 1 and 2 (made by the same people after all), which offered interesting moral dilemmas and respected the player enough to not dilute itself into a stupid binary morality children's book that dares to call itself Fallout.
    If you liked Fallout 1 and 2, then New Vegas will appeal to you, maybe not exactly from a gameplay perspective, it is using that terrible engine made by Bethesda after all, but it's plot, quests, characters, locations, world and writing are all outstanding and some of the best the industry has seen to date.
  42. Jun 25, 2014
    Killed a man, his wife, stole his stuff, got a .50 Caliber rifle with Explosive Ammo, gibbed zombies, had sex, gibbed hooker, took over Las Vegas, and was home in time for corn flakes.
  43. Jun 24, 2014
    This is the review of someone who never played Fallout before, and who sucks at aiming.

Fallout New Vegas is very addictive and has his proper post-apocalyptic atmosphere. The storyline is close to perfection, and you can change the future by making multiple choices, at multiple times, which is an awesome feature in the game. The combat system may seem a bit strange, but you get used

The combat system may seem a bit strange, but you get used to it pretty fast, and you can always lower the difficulty if you're stuck on a mission.

The only negative point is the lack of NPC's. You sometimes find yourself fighting for a "city" containing 5 citizens, one of them you just had to kill, which is ruining the immersion, even if it's post-apocalyptic.

Conclusion : Very nice universe, good storyline, 8/10 !
  44. Jun 5, 2014
    OK so i played this pretty far in, was in process of trying to take over New Vegas. I Played fallout 3 and loved it i think i beat it 2 times if i remember right. I tried to play New Vegas and didn't feel the same. Just felt that the world was to big and empty. 75 percent of the game is spent running from one place to another with very little to do or fight in between. It was just plainOK so i played this pretty far in, was in process of trying to take over New Vegas. I Played fallout 3 and loved it i think i beat it 2 times if i remember right. I tried to play New Vegas and didn't feel the same. Just felt that the world was to big and empty. 75 percent of the game is spent running from one place to another with very little to do or fight in between. It was just plain boring felt rushed. Combat was improved but seems there is less in New Vegas and doesn't have that mysterious feel when i got to a new area. I felt forced to keep playing just to see if it got better but finally gave up. Expand
  45. Jun 3, 2014
    Excellent game, just as good as Fallout 3, this is a real good game, unlike other overrated pieces of trash.
    This game deserve every point, since it's awesome graphics and fluid gameplay, to it's very interesting storyline, i recommend this game without a doubt, just an amazing contribution to the entire pc library. The perfect mixture between rpg and fps genres, very nice characters, and a good combat style, not repetitive at all and very funny to enjoy in your pc.
  46. May 29, 2014
    The best thing Bethesda ever did was admit their failures and let someone more competent make a REAL Fallout game. Thank you, Bethesda, I imagine it wasn't to admit to yourselves after you realized how hard it was to make FO3 and to still see it amount to nothing more than a bland mess, but you see, this is why we have professional game designers!

These wonderful people fill our games

These wonderful people fill our games with neat things like choice and consequence, character traits and abilities that matter, quest design with branching paths, intelligent world building, (no one's living on top of a bomb here, folks!) and all that stuff that seems to be a complete mystery to you guys over at Bethesda! But truly, I must thank you, for the world is a better place thanks to your tough decision to admit your failures, because Fallout New Vegas is the best RPG of the modern generation, and has done a nice job of reminding us that Fallout games actually used to be pretty fun and my gosh, interesting!

If I had to say it has one major flaw it is the terrible engine you guys created that it runs on, because, like your game design/writing/world building/balance, it's complete and total garbage.

So, once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, Bethesda, for letting real game designers create this game for us.
  47. May 25, 2014
    Don't get me wrong Fallout New Vegas had lots of potential and was a good play when I didn't have to worry about the mountains that seemed almost impossible to climb thanks again bethseda thought you learned your lesson about that one with Skyrim. Creatures that back to the same place after you wiped all of them out. And the waste of perfectly good data for thing like unessecary perks likeDon't get me wrong Fallout New Vegas had lots of potential and was a good play when I didn't have to worry about the mountains that seemed almost impossible to climb thanks again bethseda thought you learned your lesson about that one with Skyrim. Creatures that back to the same place after you wiped all of them out. And the waste of perfectly good data for thing like unessecary perks like Confident Bachelor. Why must you wait til level 20 to get the perk to fill your map? I hated the repair idea serously my repair was 100 and still needed to sacrifice one item to repair another of the same type of item. Expand
  48. May 21, 2014
    I re-visit the Mojave every six months. I force myself to play-through as a different character and make different choices each time. Some are female snipers who support Mr. House, some are male melee who work for Caesar.

Almost 4 years after it's release, I still find new things in New Vegas. The mod community continues to expand content and push the engine to the absolute limit. I

I have more than 1,000 hours (according to Steam) in New Vegas. It's a masterwork.
  49. May 10, 2014
    Fallout: New Vegas is a mind-blowing good game! The huge arsenal of quests and perks makes the game a lot of fun. It has a captivating story, and it's always something to do. Like every game, it has it's flaws. I personally had hoped that there would be more Brotherhood of Steel quests than "Join the Brotherhood of Steel", and that was it. Besides hat there were only 2 sidequests. GameFallout: New Vegas is a mind-blowing good game! The huge arsenal of quests and perks makes the game a lot of fun. It has a captivating story, and it's always something to do. Like every game, it has it's flaws. I personally had hoped that there would be more Brotherhood of Steel quests than "Join the Brotherhood of Steel", and that was it. Besides hat there were only 2 sidequests. Game freezes and eternal loading screens drags the game from a 10/10 rating, and I also could have wished that there were more awesome tracks on the radio.

Yet, I love this game, and I'm probably going to do a second or third, maybe a fourth playthrough of the game. Totally worth the money!
  50. Apr 15, 2014
    One of the best RPGs I've played so far. Story so far is solid and allows your character, known as "Courier Six" to become a revered person of New Vegas or become "that guy/gal that everyone hates." Modding is a charm and accounts for a vast library, all thanks to a versatile Garden of Eden Creation Kit (GECK) that welcomes creativity to anyone who is willing.
  51. Mar 31, 2014
    Fallout: New Vegas is so brilliant, gripping and everthing. Fallout: New Vegas gives you the freedom to explore weapons, locations everything, Its story makes you think who will you be fighting for, and has alot of one ending. if you are looking for a shooter game but filled with bugs so, Bugout: New Vegas will be your next big game.
    Still Fallout 3 is very better, but New Vegas gives you
    Still Fallout 3 is very better, but New Vegas gives you more options and new things to do than Fallout 3.
    Fallout: New Vegas is so great game.
  52. Mar 28, 2014
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  53. Mar 20, 2014
    The best game ever made with its awesome quests and exploration to its jaw dropping replayability. it also has an extremely active modding community up and going.
  54. Mar 20, 2014
    There are a few drawbacks about the game that, i believe are overshadowed by it's greatness.
    Like Fallout 3, there is an immense amount to do in this game, arguably more than in the original fallout 3.

The music is great, the quests again are strange and intriguing. It's added many more weapons and a more in-depth system in how you deal with factions of people. If you enjoyed the Fallout 3, then it's hard not to recommend this game. Though definitely worth it if it's your first in the Fallout series.
  55. Mar 13, 2014
    great game even if there are bugs its story is a vast improvement over fallout 3. I think I have replayed this game over 15 times to try to get every ending possible. I find fallout new vegas incredibly addicting and it is definitely on my top 10 list
  56. Feb 28, 2014
    Buggy piece of crapp, for example shots through walls, round a corners, pity damage system, controls, accidental crashes etc. It shouldn't be even called PC version, to be honest, because this isn't PC version. Poor console ports are not automatically PC versions. Lack of PC optimisation is the problem, but some idiots still don't get it. Graphics is a **** joke, looks even worse than theBuggy piece of crapp, for example shots through walls, round a corners, pity damage system, controls, accidental crashes etc. It shouldn't be even called PC version, to be honest, because this isn't PC version. Poor console ports are not automatically PC versions. Lack of PC optimisation is the problem, but some idiots still don't get it. Graphics is a **** joke, looks even worse than the one in Fallout 3. Absolutely horrible, abomination to the first two Fallout games. Expand
  57. Feb 28, 2014
    Despite being on the same engine with a similar ruleset to Fallout 3, this game manages to blow it out of the water. Weapon variety, strategy, depth, and combat are all improved. It's genuinely fun and has a varied and interesting world populated with well written characters. The story is branching and the player is given loads of agency. You can literally kill every person in theDespite being on the same engine with a similar ruleset to Fallout 3, this game manages to blow it out of the water. Weapon variety, strategy, depth, and combat are all improved. It's genuinely fun and has a varied and interesting world populated with well written characters. The story is branching and the player is given loads of agency. You can literally kill every person in the wasteland if you so please. The quests range from courier quests to things like assassinating the president.

The enemies are deadly, and the followers endearing, it really is one of the best games ever released, in scale and quality.
  58. Feb 25, 2014
    Despite my bad score I had fun playing it! See, on the one side there are the brilliant story, the atmospheric setting and good dialogues. And then there are the completely bad engine, the not smooth gameplay and the same bugs from it's predecessor Fallout 3.

It just annoys me that the developers obviously haven't spent a single thought on how to correct the faults of Fallout 3! They wrote a new story and built a new world(which I liked!) but the fact that the bad gameplay and bad controls in my opinion took a lot of atmosphere from both games. There are just a lot of things about the game that completely don't make sense and which Bethesda could easily have solved!
  59. Feb 7, 2014
    If you want to see the real RPG this game is for you. From the first running till the last you play this game with interest. There are lots of quests, guns, texts, items, awesome situations. Fallout 3 was real piece of **** compare with this game.
  60. Jan 13, 2014
    The sixth installment in my favorite game series is an amazing game developed by Bethesda. With fantastic gameplay and amazing storyline, this game gives an extraordinary amount of game hours. The landscape is amazing and a great competition to the previous installment. However, even though it is more polished than Fallout 3, I found that I didn't enjoy it as much, but still worth playing.
  61. Jan 12, 2014
    Oh pib-boy. What a mess in gameplay and story-telling.

Invisible walls everywhere, artificial placed rocks and unclimbable "mountains" followed by places that are bigger than an airport but filled with pure nothing. I loved Fallout 3! Although it had its flaws (dated graphics, bugs and way too easy), it was a milestone in gaming (and for all the Fallout-Fans) and the instinct to
    Oh pib-boy. What a mess in gameplay and story-telling.

I loved Fallout 3! Although it had its flaws (dated graphics, bugs and way too easy), it was a milestone in gaming (and for all the Fallout-Fans) and the instinct to discover and scavenge a large world!

But somehow Fallout new Vegas managed to feel so dry and empty like beeing stranded in a desert. You will encounter so few gunfights, that you'll wish you could just raid camps and all the enemy stations.
    But you can't.
    I was asking myself all the time:
    "Why the hell am I scavenging all that ammunition and bottlecaps when there are so few enemies you can pump full of led?"

After 10 hours of time-consuming navigation I caught myself trying to rush through the story, only for the hope of some big scale battles. But after at least 25 Hours arriving and leaving Vegas I gave up.

Prepare to spent more time walking, and walking and walking instead of meeting interesting places or people.

Don't get me wrong: You CAN find at least 3 interesting places. They will suck you in with a dark and spooky atmosphere. I won't spoil it, but New Vegas isn't one of them.
    Neither is it a surprise you'll arrive there nor is it a really spectacular place.
    Most People there will tell you some generic gibberish and the quests in there are so ... meaningless.

Most of the Quests are annoying chores that let you scout empty places for hours only to find out that at least one skill is insufficient to complete it (mostly your speech-skill!).

Then there are so many illogical design-flaws that pop up randomly and destroy all imersion.
    -Many doors that are just painted textures and can't be opened.
    -The flaw in stealing from bad guys (why does the game randomly punish my karma when I rob the psycho bad guys?!).
    - you meet some high-ranked guys for the faction you work, but they don't have any quest to give you!
    - You don't have any impact on the lazy written "War" of the different factions!
    Noone will say any word to you beside their random gibberish!
    - doors and gates that are closed until you progress the main"story", or more: Keep yourself squeezing the path the game has chosen for you.

This game only left wasted 40 hours and a sore forehead from all the facepalming.

This may be an overused sentence in rating games, but this feels really like an overpriced DLC or even mod for Fallout 3.
    Don't buy it and wait for Fallout 4!
  62. Jan 6, 2014
    I’ve played and replayed this game many many times. I keep coming back to it purely because people keep raving about it, and I keep thinking, based on that, that there has to be something I’m missing. There has to be some quality in it I’m just not getting. Now I think I can safely judge why people go out of their way to claim that it’s good: They WANT it to be good. They can see that thisI’ve played and replayed this game many many times. I keep coming back to it purely because people keep raving about it, and I keep thinking, based on that, that there has to be something I’m missing. There has to be some quality in it I’m just not getting. Now I think I can safely judge why people go out of their way to claim that it’s good: They WANT it to be good. They can see that this is the shell of a great game. But that is the big problem. It’s just a shell, hollow inside when you look inside.

New Vegas is a complete developmental screwup. Everything that is important to the primary/important content, the factions and New Vegas and the plot, was stupidly deprioritized in favor of stuffing the game with frivolous irrelevant sidequests. It’s hard to process just how bad the content prioritization and presentation is. The making of easily cut content like the Boomers, Thorn, Jacobstown, rocket ghouls, etc, came at the cost of desperately needed faction quests and fleshing out. The entire main questline is padded with these sidequests to stretch it out, only ending up emphasizing how little you connect or get involved with the character and the factions. The Faction “system” is really just deciding which questgiver you want to receive your nearly identical selection of mandatory sidequests from. The reputation system is basically pointless, rarely amounting to anything other then NPC banter.

People claim the writing is great, I found it dull and uninspired. The dialogue options are bland and soulless, clearly designed for a blank slate character and not one with actual personality. NPC quality varys greatly but tend to suffer from directionless voice acting. I’ve heard characters talk about their squadmates being raped in the same tone they use to complain about patrolling the Mojave. Not even kidding. The writing in the DLCs is pretty weak to boot, with Old World Blues actually being surprisingly involving and funny to boot while Lonesome Road may have the most incompetent, full of crap, and definitionally pretentious writing I’ve even seen in a RPG, outside of a Mass Effect sequel. Pains me to think one of Planescape:Torment’s writers was involved in that dreck.

The world map is awfully designed, offering no incentive to explore what is ultimately a linear doughnut dotted with invisible walls, uninteresting and unrewarding locations, NO random encounters, and amateurly placed blatant progression Many things that worked fine in the previous game, like the radio and VATS, were and still are broken and glitchy. While I liked how there were more skill/stat checks, most of the other added features like ammo types (which were bugged at launch. Pretty sure they were bugged in the first two Fallouts too. How do you not learn how to program that in twenty years?) are easily forgotten. And I don’t think I need to bring out how buggy it is. Suffice to say the public had made it clear that it is utter unacceptable to ship a game with this amount of game-breaking and save-wiping glitches.

The sad thing is that it’s clear that this game could have been good, even great, if it had been developed properly. And it’s even sadder that people feel the need to overrate it based on the standard of games this developer made twenty years ago, or worse based on what the game COULD have been like rather then what it IS. It doesn’t hold up to other RPGs. It doesn’t even hold up to other Obsidian games. New Vegas is, sadly, a weak unfulfilling game and a weak unfulfilling RPG.
  63. Jan 1, 2014
    The game has a few bugs but they don't take away from the overall experience. The story is exceptional and the RPG elements are fantastic. The only thing the next Fallout games has to do is fix it's it bug and and graphics because every thing New Vegas has done it does right.
  64. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is awesome I put 360 hours into this game. This is fantastic I've never felt more free in a game! From the get go you can go wherever and do whatever you like. You don't like the way he talks? he sounds too king in a scary world? No it's not invincible like in many other games they make characters invincible but not this game... However there are repercussions for your actions.This game is awesome I put 360 hours into this game. This is fantastic I've never felt more free in a game! From the get go you can go wherever and do whatever you like. You don't like the way he talks? he sounds too king in a scary world? No it's not invincible like in many other games they make characters invincible but not this game... However there are repercussions for your actions. This is what I love about the FO genre, Obsidian and Bethesda don't create the game around a linear story line /characters, what they do is they create a game that the player can play how they want to play it. Now they still have a story line so if you want to hear the whole story it's kind of linear in that sense. I never beat the game though and I didn't have to in order to enjoy it.. How did I enjoy it? Exploring, character progression, different play styles Melee weapons, fisted weapons, Energy weapons, bullet weapons, Sniper, Vats, I'm sure I'm missing something here this is just the top of my head. There are random events, random loot sacks from other (NPC) adventurers. Theres gore! which in my opinion adds a lot to the game, it adds to the awesomeness of the weaponry. I'd say in total there are probably around 150 total weapons give or take a couple, but there are different types of ammo in the game and this changes the damage, the feel, the look of the projectiles and the slow-mo cam destruction of the creature. This keeps the games combat feeling fresh. Going back to what I said earlier though about the game feeling free to do what you want. The NPC's react towards your decision making, unlike in many other FPS/RPG where many characters are invulnerable, killing NPC's in the game has a reaction from others this opens so much possibilities!!! It's like real life it's so complex!

There are down sides to this game though....you may never enjoy another RPG or shooter again! Seriously I can't play half life, the weapons bore me, no exploration, no secret stashes, all hand holding. I might've liked this type of style of shooter if I didn't play FallOut, I can't play Far Cry 3 because I feel like the weapons in the game are being spoon fed to me compared to Fallout where I can barter, loot, and find weapons and sometimes find "unique weapons", in many other RPG/shooters you can't go and play how you want to play it. This is the Fallout curse the only RPG's I can enjoy now are Skyrim and Rage other Bethesda/Obsidian products. Some might interpret it as a bad thing to have this "curse" but it's really not, I just experienced such a good game that other games can't come close. This game is a must have!! I recommend it to everybody who likes open world RPG's/Shooters
  65. Dec 28, 2013
    Fallout: New Vegas great game!
    I love this game, play days!
    Several do not regret the money spent, keep up the good work! :)
    There are problems but Steam decides everything!
  66. Dec 27, 2013
    I didn't see as many major improvements over Fallout 3 here as I would have liked, the main story was definitely fun to follow, and an increase in length of the optional stories made them more fun to follow.
  67. Dec 22, 2013
    One of the BEST games I've ever played. Was a huge step-up from Fallout 3 and it brought back more concepts from the original Fallout games. I currently have over 200+ hours playing this game on Steam and in all those hours, I never got bored. Even after beating the game, there is so much more to do with the quests, achievements and exploration.

Overall, this game was one of the best

Overall, this game was one of the best experiences in gaming I ever felt and was definitely worth the money.
  68. sft
    Dec 15, 2013
    Viva New Vegas!

Viva New Vegas!

I loved Fallout 3, and dedicated 170 hours to the GOTY edition. I was hoping for more of the same from FNV and it pretty much delivered. While much is the same there have been some changes. The graphics have apparently been improved, although I didn’t really notice any difference (it looks a bit creaky by today’s standards, but is better than some from the same period). But the main changes relate to gameplay. F3 managed a perfect balance between RPG and shooter. For me, FNV leans a little too far in favour of the role-playing elements. There’s less combat and what combat there is isn’t quite as much fun as it was in F3. Also the main story is less engaging, with emphasis placed on the alliances you forge with the various factions along the way. I enjoyed this aspect of the game but would’ve liked more meat on the main storyline. That having been said all the elements that made F3 so good are still here. The Mohave Desert is another huge open world waiting to be explored. There are numerous quests to be enjoyed, and all the immersive qualities are still there.

A quick note about bugs: F3 was a bit buggy but FNV takes the cake on this score. In the 120 hours I spent playing the game it must have crashed 50 times or more. Save games fail to load as do maps on occasion. I even had a couple of NPCs go missing, one of which was a quest-giver (a side quest luckily). So be forewarned: it can be frustrating at times.
  69. Dec 13, 2013
    Obsidian,and all that involve the creation of this game, I salute you! This is one of the best RPG well...THE BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY 30 YEARS OF LIFE!

At first I'm very skeptical about this game. Many people say it's buggy like hell. But in my experience, which means 100+ hours of gameplay with all DLCs, the game got bugs only 2-3 times (like getting stuck on the rocky surface). And it crashes a lot less than FO3.

Aside from those technical issues and some quirky combat moment, this game is top notch. High role-playing element, many addition to combat (like special attack), a lot of quests with choices, great story that get you involved and really feel like you are a character living and making every decision that will effect the outcome which might be a little change of other characters or a whole story-path.

I was to give it 8 but there is one thing that make me raise it to 10. It is the ending on my first playthrough. It's very impressive. I feel like all my 100+ hours playing this game really matter. Not only the main story ending some of DLCs endings are also great heartwarming, awesome or sad depend on how you complete it
  70. Dec 10, 2013
    Fallout New Vegas is easily one of my most favourite games of all time, but before I can explain why it is great, I have to explain where it falters. Mainly, the worst problems with it are the bugs, the console versions of the game are definitely more glitched out and you repeatedly run into invisible walls, failed animations and errors that can completely take out a good few minutes ofFallout New Vegas is easily one of my most favourite games of all time, but before I can explain why it is great, I have to explain where it falters. Mainly, the worst problems with it are the bugs, the console versions of the game are definitely more glitched out and you repeatedly run into invisible walls, failed animations and errors that can completely take out a good few minutes of your time. But otherwise, these are sparse and do not fully detract from the experience of Fallout.

Gameplay wise, Fallout doesn't differ too much from Fallout 3 at surface level, but there are some key changes to the gameplay that, in my opinion, make it better. Firstly, skill checks are implemented, instead of having a dodgy percentage system for speech, you now need to have a certain requisite, whether you meet or fail the requirement makes your playthrough unique, and immerses you further into the world of post-apocalyptic Nevada. Another really interesting concept is Hardcore mode, which gives the game a real edge and turns it more into a survival game, as you are forced to take into consideration heavier loads, dehydration, starvation and tiredness, I'd recommend that you turn on Hardcore mode, as you can always turn it off if you feel frustrated about the dehydration element to it. Finally, companions are far easier to manage, the companion wheel really allows you to make more strategic decisions with the companions, while it can seem a little fiddly, compared to opening up a talk box all the time it can cut corners very quickly, it definitely makes using companions more worthwhile.

However, while gameplay is clearly important, it is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me to say that F:NV really blows Fallout 3 out of the water with it's writing. Fallout New Vegas is heavily faithful to the original two games, but isn't afraid to introduce it to new boundaries, the NCR makes a welcome return, but adding Caesar's Legion as the opposing force really takes the karma system in ways that Bethesda could only dream about. Fallout 3 was very much a battle between good and evil, New Vegas is far more complex than that, do you side with the bureaucratic NCR, who want to take over everything yet be unable to pledge their promises? Or the more aggressive and ruthless, but disciplined Legion? Or maybe you decide to go all out against them by yourself or as the pawn of Mr House, the mysterious baron of New Vegas? The multiple depths, pathways and choices you make really matter in New Vegas, making it a far more rewarding experience than Fallout 3. If you look at the amount of quests both games offer, as well as the diversity of voice actors, dialogue, factions, characters, enemies, weapons and overall content, you realize that Fallout 3 gets utterly trumped. While some argue that they prefer the atmosphere and location of Washington DC over the Nevada desert. I genuinely prefer the atmosphere of Nevada. (Irrelevant note, but Nevada even has vegetation! A desert in the middle of nowhere has more life in it than the former capital city of the US!) Another, final element as to why this game is better is because of the humour overall. Obsidian really captured the dark, cynical but also bizarre humour of the original fallout games, one that really sticks with me is a super mutant who comes every night to annihilate a farmer's brahmin with a minigun because he got angry about them making noise while he was asleep.

Overall, while Fallout 3 is a decent game, New Vegas is far superior. Perhaps I am being overly generous with my score, as a game should really be built on the strength of it's gameplay and the gameplay is not strong enough on its own. But this makes me only hope that we can get another 'real' fallout game.
  71. Nov 12, 2013
    Not quite as great as Fallout 3 but then that's because the setting of New Vegas is less interesting to me personally than the ruins of Washington DC. However, it has a fantastic storyline, some interesting refinements and the nice hardcore mode.
  72. Nov 12, 2013
    Quick summary: A very good game that can be great if you can overlook some of it's flaws, probably most open-worlded game aside from TES games. You might not like the game's not-very-serious approach and poor level design. Focus was put on RPG part of the game rather than the Action part. Heavily modable which is a great asset. For the current price it is worth it.

New Vegas is a worthy

New Vegas is a worthy sequel to Fallout 3, a game with it's own unique feel like no other game. The problem is do you like this particular feel For a post-apocalyptic themed game New Vegas is a very lively place. Everywhere you go you find a new location, meet a new NPC or fight new enemies. It almost feels like an atomic war never happened except for burned out ruins covering the land and Geiger counter ticking from time to time. The unique feels largely come from the fact that in this alternate world, when the atomic war happened the world culturally was in the 50s (although technology was much more advanced), and this lead to creation of a strange setting to say at least, full of tremendously absurd and bizarre stuff.
    I personally do not like this light-hearted approach and would prefer a more serious approach to the post-apo topic, with a darker and heavier atmosphere (think Metro 2033).

The game offers you a vast world and almost total freedom. You are free to shoot anyone you like, make friends and enemies as you see fit, go anywhere and take anything you want and the world will react to your actions. While this is sounds and definitely is cool, the obvious issue this brought up is the world feeling kinda plastic, not often reacting to your character's actions like it should, which is why you will find yourself sticking to some pre-defined paths more often than not, just to avoid breaking immersion, although if you played F3 you will find here a great improvement over that title.

The Action part of this Action-RPG is not very good. Enemies are mostly braindead, rushing you with meele weapons or just standing in plain sight shooting you. Cover system is non-existant at all. Guns and weapons in general do very little damage decereasing the immersion further it's just not immersive when you have to shoot someone wearing casual clothes 10 times in the chest to kill him.

Here we come to probably the greatest problem of this game, which is the difficulty level.
    Even played on very hard the game is just not hard, there isn't any challenge awaiting for you. You faceroll absolutely everything, being a one man army even if you do not pick combat skills, even at lowest levels. It's funny when a squad professional soldiers armed to the teeth warn you to stay away from a certain place because it is full of bandits and they are waiting for reinforcements to take them out, while you can just walk in there on level 1 and stomp them even on very hard of course after you get out they react like nothing has happened, making the world feel shallow and plastic.

Levels are designed terribly, with reused assets everywhere, repeatable locations and cut into cells so small it's often laughable. I know this game is a bit old, but still you see the obnoxious loading screen way too often while travelling through Mojave. If you want to snipe enemies from distance or storm a building full of raiders you can't because the world is basically made of hundreds/thousands of tiny cells, each building floor (sometimes even single rooms) being separated with a loading screen. Wonderful !

The GOOD THING about Fallout:NV is the massive amount of content. There are so many quests and dialogues in this game, so many types of guns, enemies etc. that you won't be bored quickly. There are many ways to solve each quest and obstacle, adding replayability as you can't spec into everything in one game unless you cheat. And there are mods that add even more !

Overall I give this game a good 7/10, spent a good chunk of time in this world, I'm just not into this crazy wacky theme Fallout games have, and this game had many other issues but it was still fun for a long while.
    Recommended for Fallout veterans, RPG fans, not really for FPS fans or people who like serious approach.
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    One of the best games available from Bethesda, it has a lot of back story and a beautiful symphony of characters and story. Over all Fallout 3's story was better, but New Vegas's is not bad, and has a better combat system, great game, gamers from every genre will find something in this game.
  74. Nov 8, 2013
    Fallout New Vegas is an extraordinary game on the PC. It has an incredible main story line with very well made side quests. The modding capabilities on the PC for this game in particular are amazing; you can find all kinds of lore friendly mods as well as mods that do not even go with the game. All the mods are free at nexusmods.com Aside from the modding capabilities; Fallout New VegasFallout New Vegas is an extraordinary game on the PC. It has an incredible main story line with very well made side quests. The modding capabilities on the PC for this game in particular are amazing; you can find all kinds of lore friendly mods as well as mods that do not even go with the game. All the mods are free at nexusmods.com Aside from the modding capabilities; Fallout New Vegas also has real world weapon designs as well as character customization. Fallout New Vegas is a very old western themed RPG with radio stations to go with that theme. The genres of music that are played go from Big Jazz Bands to Old Style Bluegrass. The genre expands even further with DLC packs. Adding all the DLC pack unlocks unique weapons and armor as well as quests and an expanded genre of music such as Swing Bands. Fallout New Vegas is my absolute favorite RPG game, and I recommend it to people all the time. Share my joy and grab a copy of The Complete Edition. Expand
  75. Nov 7, 2013
    If we were going on gameplay alone, this would easily get an 8 or even a 9, but there are huge problems.

Positives 1. The gameplay is spectacular. You feel powerful once you get to levelling up and there are few builds that make it virtually impossible to complete 2. I like the soundtrack selection this time around. A nice mix of what you'd expect from Fallout 3 with a western

Positives

2. I like the soundtrack selection this time around. A nice mix of what you'd expect from Fallout 3 with a western tinge. Nice.

3. Voice acting is mostly good (except Matthew Perry as Benny, who seems to be incapable of emoting)

4. The story is one of the strongest in a Bethesda published game, bolstered by the undeniable writing talent of the Obsidian team

Now for negatives

1. For their writing talent, Obsidian doesn't seem to have good QA. Their games always seem to have major bugs and this game is NO exception. characters randomly disappear, objectives sometimes point the wrong way, saving too much freezes the game (a real problem in an RPG) and the game at times just feels incomplete. It's hard to recommend a game like this when the game is so buggy. And I know there's fan patches and unofficial mods, but I shouldn't have to tell you "You can play this but oh you need to download a mod made by a fan"

2. Some of the DLC just straight up sucks. Lonesome Road and Old World Blues are awesome, don't get me wrong. Gun Runner's Arsenal just seems like stuff they had to cut at first to meet deadline. Honest Hearts has a good premise but is kind of boring. And Dead Money? F that one. Here's an idea: Take a game series noted for it's open-world and make you go through a linear pseudo-stealth mission to teach you about "the evils of greed".

It's flawed, so if you don't like your games bugged out, avoid it, but otherwise, I'd still give it a try.
  76. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing, i found myself constantly engaged with the interactive world and missions. This is one of my favorite games of all time and has the best dlc.
  77. Nov 3, 2013
    Fallout: New Vegas.
    The modded Fallout 3 is what I like to call it.
    First thing to know. This game was not developed by Bethesda. It was by Obsidian Entertainment Lets start with the good. The gameplay. It sure is an improvement over Fallout 3. The combat is much better. They added iron sights, customization weapons, scopes, extended mags, etc. The are many more weapons. Many unique one
    Fallout: New Vegas.
    The modded Fallout 3 is what I like to call it.
    Lets start with the good. The gameplay. It sure is an improvement over Fallout 3. The combat is much better. They added iron sights, customization weapons, scopes, extended mags, etc. The are many more weapons. Many unique one too and with some funny names like the Man Opener.
    There is a lot more to do in the game. Unlike in Fallout 3 and Skyrim the companions are interesting. They all have a good backstory. You can do a lot more with them.
    The medicore: The story. It isn't that great. It doesn't have a lot of action in it and it is rather boring. Getting shot in the head, revenge, big dam, blah blah boring!
    The setting isn't that great either. Pretty much a desert simulator. Not a lot of destruction.
    The graphics aren't as good as they are in Fallout 3. They did improve the lighting but the textures were much worse. They were also pretty sloppy with the character designs. Just ugh.
    Now for the bad. The glitches. I was one of the lucky ones who never actually encountered any kind of glitches (Even at release) Many side quests are similar to Skyrim's. Fetch this, fetch that, steal this, deliver that. Annoying.
    I have put over 150 hours in 3 of the 4 playthroughs of this game. Get dlc. DLC is amazing. (Dead Money is a little annoying)
    Graphics 7/10
    Gameplay 9.5/10
    Fun 9/10
    Story 5.5/10
    I would rate this between a 7.5 and 8. I guess I'll go with 8!
  78. Nov 3, 2013
    My favourite game! What can i say?
    Here is feels much more "old school" then in the F3. A LOT of side quests, a huge in-game world which one is open since the 1st minute of the game. Its really easy to spend 150-200 hours for this game with all of the DLC.
    My favourite game! What can i say?
    Good combat system, now you can create a melee character(in F3 it was a problem), a lot of new weapons(maybe its TOO easy to get energy-weapons cus of Van Graffs store and the "Fiends" faction but who cares?), really good DLC like Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, old Reputation system is back. And the most important part is A LOT of communities in the Mohave(in F3 there was only 1(!!!)).
    So you can be a good or evil i the wastelands, or somewhere in the middle, or you can stay alone and play Wild Card scenario. In Mohave you can be the person what you like cus this is Vegas )
    There is no Enclave but only 1 side quest(which one is most difficult to trigger), thats why not 10/10.
  79. Oct 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think the game play of everything+the graphics are/were amazing. The end had a nice ending and I like that they kept the choose if your character is good or bad and they added a ton of new guns with the Add ons. Didn't find old world blues and honest hearts that enjoyable.
    Shout out to all y'all who say its very laggy. Yes it's laggy bit y'all are modding crap and maxing your skill points. Really. Play the game through and then mod it. But really.
  80. Oct 22, 2013
    I have to apologize for my previous review of 0

When I reviewed this game previously I was quite upset at the lack of difference between it and Fallout 3.
    this still stands

In comparison to F3 this game has a smaller map, less interesting story and worse atmosphere but it does have a lot to make up for it especially if you get mods
  81. Oct 21, 2013
    altough the gameplay is not very good, the story and amount of content is awesome. lots of quests and ways to do them and almost everything has an impact on the groups. if you can ignore the bugs, buy it.
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    Only buy this game if you like questing, exploration, retro-futurism and classic western music. You can mod, or not, to your tastes, but the retail game is a exploration rpg with strong Cold War overtones. As a long time fan of the Fallout universe, I would say this is my favorite Fallout game. I liked Fallout 3, but was frustrated by the lack of imagination in the world architecture,Only buy this game if you like questing, exploration, retro-futurism and classic western music. You can mod, or not, to your tastes, but the retail game is a exploration rpg with strong Cold War overtones. As a long time fan of the Fallout universe, I would say this is my favorite Fallout game. I liked Fallout 3, but was frustrated by the lack of imagination in the world architecture, and banality of the quests. If you like more of a open world feel, as I do, this is might be the game to get of the two. There are quite a few minor bugs throughout (especially in Old World Blues DLC), but not any game breakers. You will have to reload here or there, and the graphics are dated (they date back to at least 2007). If you are a level capper, but don't want to do all the DLC, you will be frustrated, as you probably will have to depopulate the world significantly to reach level cap. The mainline story is easy to finish even on hardcore mode, but if approached as an exploration rpg it is a fun game. If you do not enjoy exploring or doing side quests then this is not the game for you. Also, this game is best played in first-person mode and with a game controller (I prefer XBOX 360). It is a console port, but playable. The menu is intentionally bad (in the vein of retro-futurism). Think BASIC meets plasma/laser weapons. Glass soda bottles and type writers meets holo-projectors (Dead Money DLC). It's a wacky game world but it's worth giving a look. Expand
  83. Oct 19, 2013
    Overall, this game is amazing. You can easily get 100 hours out of this and still have things to do. The real downfall, however is that the game is very buggy but if you can ignore that aspect, then you can get a lot of enjoyment out of this.
  84. Oct 18, 2013
    I enjoyed this but not as much as Fallout 3. It’s fun, immersive, interesting story, and very well made overall but if you’ve played Fallout 3 it feels like more of the same so it’s missing that “new” factor. Also, I do not like how they nerfed the VATS system. Killing baddies with VATS in F3 never got old for me and I miss all the gratuitous slo-mo deaths. You have to treat New Vegas aI enjoyed this but not as much as Fallout 3. It’s fun, immersive, interesting story, and very well made overall but if you’ve played Fallout 3 it feels like more of the same so it’s missing that “new” factor. Also, I do not like how they nerfed the VATS system. Killing baddies with VATS in F3 never got old for me and I miss all the gratuitous slo-mo deaths. You have to treat New Vegas a lot more like a standard FPS since there is no perk to instantly refill your AP after making a kill and VATS is generally much less useful besides.

Aside from those two points, though, excellent game.
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    All I can say about this game right off the bat, is that it is right up there with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as one of the greatest video games I have ever played. While most critics would like to disagree with me, I actually like this game better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was a pretty fun game, however, there was just so much more to this game that made me love it just a little more.All I can say about this game right off the bat, is that it is right up there with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as one of the greatest video games I have ever played. While most critics would like to disagree with me, I actually like this game better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was a pretty fun game, however, there was just so much more to this game that made me love it just a little more. At first, I was not too sure about the idea behind this game. I felt like Obsidian Entertainment was taking the Call of Duty approach with this game (Making the game on the exact same engine, little to no improvements to it whatsoever). However, when I finally bought this game on my PC, my concerns were put to rest when I realized that this game was actually very different from Fallout 3. The engine was not improved at all, however, the gameplay has changed in some very good ways. It still retains the action RPG gameplay of Fallout 3, but this time around, there is much more to it. Now, you have to pick perks every two levels instead of picking one every level. Shooter fanboys will also be happy to know that you can now fire down-sights for more accuracy. Guns are also much more accurate now than they were in Fallout 3. In Fallout 3, you had to hold down the aim button for greater accuracy. Now, doing this is no longer necessary, as the guns are all accurate without it. Also, the karma system from Fallout 3 has been changed into a reputation system. Reputation depicts how certain factions and towns like you, while others dislike you. This is a very good system, and I wish it was done more often in other games, as it allows people of one town to worship you, while people in another want nothing more than to see you dead. Other than these features, the gameplay is not all that different from that of Fallout 3, however, that's a good thing, as Fallout 3's gameplay was fantastic. It still has Fallout 3's RPG mixed with shooter gameplay, which is enough to really make this game enjoyable. The graphics of this game are also excellent. They do not really improve much from Fallout 3, however, they are still quite good on their own right. Fallout 3 did manage to get the feel for the post-apocalyptic world better, but I think Fallout New Vegas is actually the better looking game. It just feels so much more alive than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was barren, while Fallout New Vegas is exciting. The story of this game, while not as good as Fallout 3, is still good on its own right. Fallout 3's story was much more original than this game's. New Vegas' story is pretty much the stereotypical story of "someone tried to kill you, and it is up to you to find out who he is, and what he's after,". Cliched? Yes. Bad? Absolutely not! The story of New Vegas is actually done quite well, it just isn't Fallout 3's story. Still though, I do like how this game's story has much more to do with Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3 did. After all, Fallout 3 was set in Washington D.C., while all of the others were set out West. Another thing that's awesome about this game's story is that you have much more control over how the game ends, through both reputation, and how you handle the game's quests. You can choose one of four paths in this game (for the main quest), and all four are generally enjoyable to play through. It also shows the endings of all the other minor factions you chose to either help or destroy during the course of the game. I also like how this game just ends, and does not let you go back after beating the game. Most people did not like this, but I actually did. I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable way for your game to just end. Still though, there are a few problems with this game. For one, there are a lot of bugs in this game. They are nothing to bad however, just minor hiccups here and there. Also however, I did have a bit of a mixed reaction towards the game's DLC's. I liked two of them (Honest Hearts, Lonesome Road), was not so sure about one (Old World Blues), and completely disliked the last one (Dead Money). These DLCs do not affect my opinion on this game as a whole however. Overall, this game is a truly fantastic game. Its story may not be Fallout 3, but it does beat it in terms of both gameplay and graphics. This game really is what Fallout 3 would have been if the original developer had stayed in business. Expand
  86. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best Action-RPG of last years. Perfect atmosphere of post-apocalyptic world, huge amount of interesting quest, NPC's and enemies. Unfortunately, there is some annoying technical issues and bugs, but in spite of this it's must play game.
  87. Sep 30, 2013
    You know how you play a great game, like Fallout3, and say wow I wish I could play that exact same game again but just a little different, well then you're in luck!!! New Vegas came out and said, how would you like to play Fallout 3 again except in a desert and with a little more content!!! HOORAY said I!!! Let me be CLEAR by saying theres MORE TO THIS than just a Fallout3 DLC, but at theYou know how you play a great game, like Fallout3, and say wow I wish I could play that exact same game again but just a little different, well then you're in luck!!! New Vegas came out and said, how would you like to play Fallout 3 again except in a desert and with a little more content!!! HOORAY said I!!! Let me be CLEAR by saying theres MORE TO THIS than just a Fallout3 DLC, but at the same time its not some brand new game. It'd be nice if you were a bit more daring in making changes, but at least this way I don't have to talk about how amazing 3 was and how New Vegas it up. Just different enough for you to play it 4 more times after having played Fallout3 5 times Expand
  88. Sep 28, 2013
    Was a bit skeptic at first, being a great fan of the two original Fallout games. But after more than fifteen hours playing, it's nothing but a true revelation. Actually I had waited for a game like this one for so long now !

It just feels like I saw only a very few of what it has to offer, in terms of locations, quests, characters, hidden secrets, and so on (and yet, I saw quite a lot), that I feel dizzy in front of all the possibilities that are offered to me. Offered I mean, never imposed. Because you are not caught by the hand, never. You make your own choices (which are numerous, and almost never simple to take ok, I would still have loved to have even more choices, but that's because I'm insatiable), you make your own way through this giant world, you decide to explore what you want, and often you'll be (happily) surprised by what will happen to you.

I could still discourse for long about all the qualities of this game, the game system, the story, but if you're a big RPG fan like me, and you didn't try it yet, then wait no more, I don't know what you're still doing here
  89. Sep 27, 2013
    great game you could spend a whole week nonstop playing and you'd still have fun things to do in the game. The only real problem is that there's a mechanic with the companion where if u equip them with weapons or bombs they randomly drop them resulting in your huge treasure trove of weaponizes suddenly disappearing without you noticing. The morale/relationship system and better storygreat game you could spend a whole week nonstop playing and you'd still have fun things to do in the game. The only real problem is that there's a mechanic with the companion where if u equip them with weapons or bombs they randomly drop them resulting in your huge treasure trove of weaponizes suddenly disappearing without you noticing. The morale/relationship system and better story writing makes this game better then it's predecessor by far The game even features a hardcore mode with perma death on your companions and requiring you to constantly eat which is great for those who want a challenge Expand
  90. Sep 17, 2013
    After Fallout 3 was not the game I expected, and didn't came true to the real Fallout experience this game did it better. The atmosphere is true to the originals. It's not as good as Fallout 1 & 2 but I would prefer it all day before Fallout 3.
  91. Sep 11, 2013
    it improves a lot from fallout3,so many things i think i do not need to say it again.
    just,i think the fallout 3 main story is better than fnv,it is about finding father,but not just revenge.
    but fnv has more freedom gameplay in almost every big place,u always can find a quest to do,good or bad,u can choose it,but not like fallout 3,at last u still will be an angel,so it give some players another nice choice.
    so,except the main story,all things improve a lot,much more like a wild west explore
  92. Sep 4, 2013
    Boring, boring, boring. Thats the only thing i can think about this game when i play it. Its combat is slow and clunky, its missions are uninspired, and youll find yourself spending 80% of your time wandering the wasteland doing nothing. I guess im just not a fan of the Fallout series.
  93. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    Great fun for Fallout fans. Although held back from a higher rating by some annoying bugs and technical flaws, the game is still both playable and enjoyable throughout. Worth a look.
  94. Sep 2, 2013
    In terms of game enjoyability, I give it an 8.7. It has a great story and gives you a lot of freedom to write your own backstory, and heavily improves on Fallout 3's system by adding more perks and true ironsights.

As a standalone game, this shouldn't even get a 5. If you're expecting the transition between Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas to be similar to how it was between Oblivion and Skyrim, bury that thought. It frustrated me that New Vegas' weapons, engine, and game mechanics were essentially recycled from Fallout 3. I understand that there were time constraints, but making a shinier version of an already-released game (which is what most of the sports games and CoDs are doing at this point) is not an impressive feat.

Not to mention, the game is incomplete. There are so many bug fixes that are needed, and luckily, most of those come from mods. With that being said, I reach yet another gigantic problem that no mod will be able to fix. The save issue.

The reason why I enjoy the new Fallouts so much is because of the open world and the vast amount of things to do besides the story. Therefore, a playthrough can easily swallow dozens (even more than a hundred) hours. The problem with New Vegas is the fact that, in addition to the many bugs that flaw the game, the saves get bigger. It's not noticeable at first, but after a while, quicksaving will freeze up the game for a few moments. For a while, you won't pay it any mind, but after a few hundred saves, you'll know what I'm talking about. The game will become extremely sluggish. It will crash very often. It will take nearly five seconds to open your pip boy. And it keeps getting worse with every save until you give up on the playthrough. Mods tend to speed up this process, unfortunately, by adding more data to the game.

Overall, I give the game a 65/100. Obsidian should have had more time, so-to make a better product that could have lived up to its predecessor, Fallout 3, but due to time constraints, all they could do was simply build on Fallout 3's system, which is very disappointing for a gamer coming off Fallout 3 and enjoying it a ton.

Buy Fallout 3 instead. A lot of times, I tend to disagree with game critics, but in terms of these two games, critics are correct. Fallout New Vegas is *okay*, but Fallout 3 is a lot better.
  95. Aug 31, 2013
    Not that this is a bad game, but i didn't like the interface. Thats what shoo'd me away. I like games like this, for example, skyrim. Skyrim, like FNV is open world. I love open world. But, the interface is dodgy, and just didnt hook me.
  96. Aug 30, 2013
    If you wanna pass this game with all DLC's you need something like 200 hours and that's beautiful. That happened to me and same can happen to you if you need a good game. This Fallout is just brilliant.
  97. Aug 28, 2013
    Fun on the first and second play through, but it get's a little boring after that, not as many locations like F3, mainly because F:NV is mostly desert areas. But the companions, weapons, and stories make up for that, and also the modding community. This is probably best if you have a higher-end computer, I have a decent computer and I still face many issues, I went in and I think it wasFun on the first and second play through, but it get's a little boring after that, not as many locations like F3, mainly because F:NV is mostly desert areas. But the companions, weapons, and stories make up for that, and also the modding community. This is probably best if you have a higher-end computer, I have a decent computer and I still face many issues, I went in and I think it was mostly because of all the scripts and actions due to the four different sides you can choose. Expand
  98. AWG
    Aug 15, 2013
    I couldn't get myself to appreciate this game. Map is ridiculous, Italian localization is atrocious and above all there is no tutorial. I guess long-time Fallout players loved this one but if you're a new one (as I was) you have no idea about what's going on for most of the time. Also, graphics is horrible. That's a shame because the story sounds interesting but there are too much design flaws.
  99. Aug 9, 2013
    Fallout 3 did a much better job on this althought it's worth some free time if you are bored and want to waste your life.
    I give this game a bad rating. waste of time
  100. Aug 8, 2013
    I just picked up FNV ultimate on summer sale, and my my, what a great game. I always liked Obsidian games; despite being buggy and having other issues, they are known for their great story and characters. However, in my opinion, FNV surpassed a lot of Obsidian games in that department.

Simply put, FNV offers both quantity and quality. The quantity of high quality content in the game is unbelieveable. My first character has gone over 60 hours in the game, and is nowhere near done. Still quest lines are of very high quality. Most games are either shorter (like Witcher 2) or much of the content are of lower quality (Skyrim), I have never seen a game that offers both quantity and quality like this.

Also, the difficult choices in this game can almost make games like Dragon Age Origins pale in comparison. Characters are of high quality as well.

Downside is that it is a buggy game. However, I heard it is not much more buggy than Fallout 3.

The combat also feels clunky if you are accustomed to games like CoD or at least Skyrim; but once I get used to this RPG/Shooter hybrid system I feel the combat is okay.

Overall a great game that I feel deserves a 10. Surely it's got problems, but for such great quantity of high quality content, it deserves it.

A note on bugs: install MMUE/NVEC. That takes care of a lot of bugs; secondly, if there's a loading loop-loop-loop, start a new game and load a save.

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.