Fallout: New Vegas PC

8.5

1. Sep 9, 2016
    GOTY of 2010. Despite the bugs at release. One of the best modern era RPGs, the closest thing we got for a Fallout 2 sequel. Severely underrated on metacritic, i suppose this was a conspiracy by Bethesda to lower the metacritic score under 85 in order to not pay Obsidian the bonus it deserved.

Sorry Bethesda, this was much better than Fallout 3, it was what Fallout 3 should have been. And no matter how much you manipulate "official" ratings, in the heart of the true fallout fans, new vegas is much superior to your effort. QQ more.

If you are into RPGs, give this a try, with its add ons. You won't regret it.
  2. Nov 5, 2010
    If you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw aIf you loved fallout 3, you'll find a new world to explore and waste hours adventuring. The quests are tighter and much more enjoyable. you'll get to do a little vault diving again. the plot is almost nonexistant and the game leaves you to roam where ever, find plenty of new and interesting weapons, and see the sights. On the other hand, the game is as glitchy as ever. I once saw a scorpion clipped through the ground trying to attack me. There are invisible walls everywhere, so that little hill you want to get over is impossible, I don't understand this design choice for an open world environment. You rely much less on vats due to less volatile movements and improved aiming. The special system seemed to be much more important as each attribute has its pros and cons and played in more during conversations. the skills have much more diverse uses, expect finding practical uses for repair and medicine. The worst part however is this amounts to a reskin of fallout 3. While new weapons and enemies keep it fresh, combat is the same and many places seem familiar. If you enjoyed fallout 3, be prepared to be drawn into a new world along with a few hiccups here and there. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2011
    First, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but keptFirst, some stats. I played the game completely through once; I completed the ending two different ways from one save point; I had added over two dozen mods when I finished playing. Total time playing: +100 hours. Total time getting my mods to work: +10 hours. Second, the above should indicate that I have pushed the game to the breaking point - I ruined several save games - but kept coming back for more. Why? The game is that good. Playing with the amazing mods available for this game made it very engaging and compelling far beyond what the vanilla did. And the vanilla game was superb. Third, the game ran fine for me till I got over the dozen mod mark. In fact, most of my frustration with the mods came from one particular mod (New Vegas Bounties) that eventually corrupted save games after a certain objective had been accomplished. When it was me and the original game (first 40 hrs), I think the game crashed once. Once! That is a fairly stable game to me. Now I know that many people have had significant problems with the bugs in this game. I think Bethseda has smoothed those out for the most part. Bottom line: great game play, solid graphics, good plot, and a ton of replay value. Expand
  4. Oct 23, 2010
    27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems27 hours in, just getting started. Take fallout 3, expand it, add more diversity, add more interesting locations, triple the amount of factions, add a better theme, and add more immersion and you have fallout NV. Obsidian has taken a decent game and made it great. Really a lot more depth in the world and just overall better. Of course your on the same engine, so some of the same problems exist. But literally a new mod is released by the hour since they only have to be ported over. Im already using over 10 mods just as longer days, smaller ui, centered raised camera, perk every level etc. Oh and if you get stuttering get the d3d9 file, and if you have ati get the alternative d3d9 file so you can still use transparency mutisampling. If it wasn't for the mods i would have to take off a point or 2. Really though the best way to describe it is it makes the fallout 3 world seem boring. Expand
  5. BMF
    Oct 25, 2010
    When I first picked up new vegas I was a little worried that it might be a smaller version of fallout 3 but it turned out new vegas was a huge new post apocalyptic world to explore that even the buggy Gamebryo engine couldnt bring down. Modders have already released a large amount of mods for new vegas and more are pouring in so im sure I will be adding to the 50 or so hours it took toWhen I first picked up new vegas I was a little worried that it might be a smaller version of fallout 3 but it turned out new vegas was a huge new post apocalyptic world to explore that even the buggy Gamebryo engine couldnt bring down. Modders have already released a large amount of mods for new vegas and more are pouring in so im sure I will be adding to the 50 or so hours it took to beat the game the first time. Fallout new vegas is truely diserving of the Fallout name and I look forward to seeing where the series goes next. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2011
    Utterly amazing game, if you expected Obsidian to re-invent the wheel that was Fallout 3 you will be sadly dissapointed. Despite this they have managed to tweak the games mostly for the better but at it's core it's just more Fallout 3, and when you consider what a brilliant game that was it's not necesarily a bad thing.

However seeing how it essentially the same game with a differant

However seeing how it essentially the same game with a differant story I urge you to pick up Fallout 3 if you are new to the series as it can be found in stores or online for about half the price.
  7. Oct 25, 2010
    I'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running intoI'm so surprised at the negative reviews of this game. I've read some, and am just not seeing many negatives for this game. The new weapon mods make crafting and item hoarding meaningful, where I felt in Fallout 3 there was a lacking quality there. The world is HUGE, but it's not littered with "events". You can actually move a good distance across the wasteland without running into Mutants or Radscorpions, etc....although, you do find plenty of that stuff. The storyline and the adaptive qualities of the side quests make this playthrough much more compelling than it's predecessor, Fallout 3. The new Hardcore mode makes the game a tad more immersive in the fact that you need to sleep, eat, drink, and heal your dismembered body.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story with an incredibly detailed and gripping world.
  8. Dec 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played this game for 55 hours thus far. My game has crashed about 4 times, and I have had only a handful of minor bugs. I am thankful for this, since most reviews seem to focus in on how many bugs there are, and I've been able to enjoy this game pretty much unimpeded.

And what a joy it's been. This game takes a lot from Fallout 3, but I'm fed up of the amount people focus on the engine. This is a lot more than an 'expansion pack's worth, tons of new weapons, new game systems, whole new story, a map BIGGER than the original, gambling games, new perks, new companions. As far as I see it, that's the meat of a Fallout game. I play Fallout because of its awesome story, immersion and beautiful locations.
    And let me tell you, despite low-resolution textures, clipping and a host of graphical shortcomings, it still manages to look beautiful when you look into the distance, especially when you see New Vegas and other massive structures.

But I'll tell you the main reason this game is awesome. Factions. Nobody has any excuse to ignore the sidequests in this game, because while you CAN do that and still complete the main quest, you'd be doing it the most uninteresting way. Obsidian have fantastically tied in all the factions' sidequests (and let me tell you, after 55 hours I still haven't completed them) to the main story, which gives you an excuse to go round the Mojave doing just about everything to set up your perfect finale.

If I had to nitpick, I'd wish that the Legion showed off Caesar's views a bit more. After speaking to the head honcho, it's obvious that he has some interesting ideals. However, none of these are expressed by anyone else at any other point in the Legion. Everyone else in his force makes it look like a big, savage tribe (which technically it is, but Caesar claims he is trying to be like the Romans).

In essence, the story of this game is much stronger than Fallout 3's, but since it borrows a lot from Fallout 3's engine through models, textures, lore and even voicework, it lacks the punch Fallout 3 had. Thus I would put it on a par in my books. And hell, that's a good par, because I gave it a 10 :P.
    Just be patient you who are moaning about books and too much similarity, get immersed in the game and it'll reward you in kind.
  9. Jan 16, 2011
    A very impressive game, addicting too. There is alot of quests to do and the only flaw about this game is the travelling, it takes too long and there should be some vehicles or something to make you run alot faster. There isnt much of a storyline... You're meant to deliver a package but you get betrayed and shot in the head. You get revived by a doctor and you seek out revenge to killA very impressive game, addicting too. There is alot of quests to do and the only flaw about this game is the travelling, it takes too long and there should be some vehicles or something to make you run alot faster. There isnt much of a storyline... You're meant to deliver a package but you get betrayed and shot in the head. You get revived by a doctor and you seek out revenge to kill Benny (your killer) Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2010
    Great fun. Perhaps even more so than Fallout 3 itself. I played it two months after release and even after two major patches, I still experienced two quest-stopping bugs. Then there were other times when quests were just downright confusing. Also, crashes to desktop were fairly common. Obviously will need a couple more patches until it's near perfect. However, even with those bugs,Great fun. Perhaps even more so than Fallout 3 itself. I played it two months after release and even after two major patches, I still experienced two quest-stopping bugs. Then there were other times when quests were just downright confusing. Also, crashes to desktop were fairly common. Obviously will need a couple more patches until it's near perfect. However, even with those bugs, this game has a lot going for it. There's tons of story and interesting places to explore (it's not all either wasteland or sewers as in FO3). The weapons and combat are enjoyable, particularly with the new iron sights, weapon mods, and unique weapons. The iron sights don't take you out of the action as much as the VATS does. There's a lot more perks and companions plus each companion has a unique perk, so there's a lot of different RPG and tactical elements to play around with. Also, I love Weapon Repair Kits for repairing those hard to find weapons. Expand
  11. Oct 31, 2010
    Ultimately this is a good game that could be so much better if the developers took more time to work out the bugs. If you can wait a few months while they sufficiently patch the game you should.
  12. Feb 11, 2011
    Better than Fallout 3 by miles. Almost every issue I had with the last game has been resolved. Crappy dialogue? Fixed. Boring Characters? Fixed. Uninspired story? Oh, it was fixed alright. What more, the hardcore mode definitely adds a layer of immersiveness that, while not really making the game any harder than before, gives it plenty of atmosphere. Now, I did say "Almost every issue"Better than Fallout 3 by miles. Almost every issue I had with the last game has been resolved. Crappy dialogue? Fixed. Boring Characters? Fixed. Uninspired story? Oh, it was fixed alright. What more, the hardcore mode definitely adds a layer of immersiveness that, while not really making the game any harder than before, gives it plenty of atmosphere. Now, I did say "Almost every issue" earlier. There is actually one thing that Obsidan (not Bethesda, they did not develop this) managed to do worse than Fallout 3. The game is buggy as hell. Even with the most recent patches, there are plenty of crashes, bugs, and straight up oddities lurking below this great game. I finished a playthrough of this game (not 100%) in 37 hours, not including time backtracked due to crashes. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2010
    This is an excellent game, unfortunately marred by so many technical problems at launch it was ruined for many PC gamers. My review score ignores all the technical problems, and there is a lot. Be warned that you will likely have extremely poor performance and other technical issues galore. If you aren't up for some forum searching, tweaking and waiting for patches, don't bother buyingThis is an excellent game, unfortunately marred by so many technical problems at launch it was ruined for many PC gamers. My review score ignores all the technical problems, and there is a lot. Be warned that you will likely have extremely poor performance and other technical issues galore. If you aren't up for some forum searching, tweaking and waiting for patches, don't bother buying the PC version. Basically if you loved Fallout 3, you'll really love this game. The formula hasn't changed much, but the additions to crafting, faction reputations, gun modding, ammo types, survival skills, hardcore mode, improved companion system, etc has improved the experience a lot. Obsidian's excellent storyline and dialog writing improves things further, giving characters and locations more personality and likely drawing more than a few laughs from you as you play. After a few months of patches this game will be the masterpiece everyone hoped it would be out of the box. Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2010
    First of all, this game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda. Obsidian, a.k.a Black Isle has an impressive resume which includes Baldur's Gate 2. This is not Fallout 3. The game engine is the same, as well as the interface and the combat system, but the voice acting, dialogue and sheer volume of quests surpasses Fallout 3 in any way. If you're looking for somethingFirst of all, this game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda. Obsidian, a.k.a Black Isle has an impressive resume which includes Baldur's Gate 2. This is not Fallout 3. The game engine is the same, as well as the interface and the combat system, but the voice acting, dialogue and sheer volume of quests surpasses Fallout 3 in any way. If you're looking for something 100% revolutionary. If you did not like Fallout 3 at all, or found Fallout 3 to be a mediocre game, you might be better off skipping New Vegas.

But, if you even kind of liked Fallout 3, NV is worth picking up. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I'm not a huge fan. New Vegas blew me away and continues to impress me every time I pick it up.
  15. Nov 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of Fallout 3, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this game. First thing I discovered was that Steam was required. Many people will ***** about steam, but I find it to be very useful in organizing, opening and updating games. The game has a mediocre start- you are brought back to health by this stranger in the town of Goodsprings. Yes, it is the same graphics engine. That is good and bad. One of the good things is that the water still looks wonderful from fallout 3. Also, the sky has been greatly improved, so you can see cloud movement. However, the graphics also work against the game with the occasional glitch you see from distant objects. The factions of the game are wonderful- obviously, the folks at Bethesda and Obsidian thought through how quests for each would interfere with other factions, forcing you to take sides. The game is significantly shorter, but this is balanced out with a number of different endings, based on whether you decide to ally with Mr. House, the NCR, Caesar's Legion, or go alone. Many new types of enemies add new gameplay elements and strategies to how you fight. Many magnificent places such as the Hoover Dam and the Strip add glamor to the not so glorious Mojave wasteland. Many people overlook all the glitches, but there are many great features in the game too, that everyone should explore. And with the PC mod community, you won't have to wait long before people create mods that fill up the completely empty freeside, and add new quests to the wasteland. Expand
  16. Dec 16, 2010
    This Game has gotten a mixed comment with me. It is a typical FALLOUT game, and a such has a great reception with me. The bugs aren't noteworthy as STEAM sorts them all out and i haven't encountered any. The fact that there is no play without Internet is bad, but the additions and all the faithful exploring makes me glad that this game was brought to the public as it is one great RPG.
  17. Sep 18, 2015
    It's an improvement over many aspects in gameplay, atmosphere and story when compared to fallout 3, but ultimately, it also retains a lot of the same problems from it's predecessor.
  18. Nov 15, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas is a great addition to the Fallout series, the story is weaker than Fallout 3 and the graphics are mostly reused on all items in FO3. you will find yourself more interested in the side quests then the main story. Overall this is however a solid RPG for fans and newcomers alike.
  19. Jan 14, 2011
    Maybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with HardcoreMaybe the score should be 10/6 for outdoor vs. indoor play only b/c my computer could do cartwheels outside with a 100 enemies and have no FPS lag whereas indoors it stuttered like crazy despite the specs of my super computer - how counter intuitive is that?? If/when they patch it properly probably a true score would be 9. Anyway, what can I say? more Fallout 3 but improved with Hardcore mode (the only way to play) and a Western theme. Despite my frustrations inside, love it. Also wish creatures would not respawn all the time (even mods didn't seem to stop it). Oh and get the RACE mod and the song packs - Bethesda's radio was a cute idea (again) but they need the 1-200 extra songs modders put in for them. Expand
  20. Nov 3, 2010
    A good game is memorable but a great game makes you feel as though you've fallen in love for the first time all over again. Fallout: New Vegas is nothing short of greatness.

I would easily have rated it 10 if it didn't ship with so many frustrating bugs. However, don't let it be said that the bugs diminish the amazing and liberally nostalgic post-apocalyptic experience waiting for you in any significant way and really, there's nothing that can't be fixed in the upcoming patch.

From the moment I pre-ordered New Vegas to the moment my character stepped into the Wasteland, I thought that this would be just another Bethesda RPG, its only redeeming quality being Obsidian behind it. I had modest expectations which in no way prepared me for one of the most immersive and enjoyable gaming experiences in years.

Fallout: New Vegas flows in the same prestigious blue-blooded vein as much-loved RPGs from the 90's. It is an instant classic, it is true to the original Fallout games, it is an appreciation of everything that gave the original games their cult-following: choice, consequence, a dark believable atmosphere, timeless humour and memorable companions.

Hardcore mode enhances the sense of immersion and is a wonderful addition to the gameplay. The plot-line is just a driving force that keeps you heading in the right direction but is in no way the only interesting thing to see or do in the Mojave. It doesn't overpower the experience nor does it come short of delivering a well-balanced and brilliantly thought-out plot.

Hearing nostalgic snippets of the original games, like the name of Tandi, Shady Sands, seeing Marcus again, mention of The Master. This is the true, honest-to-goodness, thoroughbred successor of Fallout 1 and 2.

I believe that Tim Cain will be proud.

Thank you, Obsidian, for giving me a truly memorable and enjoyable experience. I sincerely hope you work on future Fallout games as well--you've put Bethesda to shame :)
  21. Xyz
    Nov 19, 2010
    If you played Fallout 1 & 2 and liked them, and you played Fallout 3 and didn't like it because of its weak storytelling and atmosphere this is the game for you. This one brings the atmosphere and story that we all enjoyed in first two instances and combines them with gameplay dynamics of the third. Some say its just like Fallout 3, but I say it's not. It's got the soul of the first twoIf you played Fallout 1 & 2 and liked them, and you played Fallout 3 and didn't like it because of its weak storytelling and atmosphere this is the game for you. This one brings the atmosphere and story that we all enjoyed in first two instances and combines them with gameplay dynamics of the third. Some say its just like Fallout 3, but I say it's not. It's got the soul of the first two parts, and technology of the third (Which isn't perfect, but it's still playable). Now, the only thing that prevents it from getting a perfect 10 are the bugs... They are plentiful, none gamebreaking, but funkillers all of them... So, with a few (possibly more than a few) patches this could be the greatest singleplayer experience ever... This way, its just a reminder of how gaming industry is just that, and industry... Oh, where are those good times when games were made BY GAMERS... FOR GAMERS Expand
  22. Dec 26, 2010
    I think we should get to the point. If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you will not only enjoy New Vegas, but that you should buy New Vegas for the great changes in game play and atmosphere. The most important change is the amount of factions. Bethesda finally got this right after the brief blunder of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Comparing Fallout 3 to New Vegas is like Oblivion to Morrowind. You doI think we should get to the point. If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you will not only enjoy New Vegas, but that you should buy New Vegas for the great changes in game play and atmosphere. The most important change is the amount of factions. Bethesda finally got this right after the brief blunder of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Comparing Fallout 3 to New Vegas is like Oblivion to Morrowind. You do good things for one faction, the other one dislikes you more (lack of price discounts, more negative dialogue). You kill members of a faction, the faction members will try to kill you on sight for now on. It is so important to the RPG element for the ability not only to make personal choices, but the idea that actions may have both positive and negative effects. Why did it take over eight years to implement this again? Expand
  23. Oct 25, 2010
    PC has been patched up well so most of the negative reviews about this being too glitchy should be reconciled. Plain and simple, this is game is more Fallout 3. And by more I mean a LOT more. Not only is there a lot of content in this game, but the sidequests are really interesting and fun. The faction system is a small but quite potent addition but unfortunately the changes pretty muchPC has been patched up well so most of the negative reviews about this being too glitchy should be reconciled. Plain and simple, this is game is more Fallout 3. And by more I mean a LOT more. Not only is there a lot of content in this game, but the sidequests are really interesting and fun. The faction system is a small but quite potent addition but unfortunately the changes pretty much end there. Bioshock 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 were also very alarmingly similar to their predecessors thought so I guess there's not much to complain about. Point is, if you liked the original Fallout 3 and want more interesting sidequests to play, Fallout: New Vegas is something you cannot ignore. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is without a single doubt, a contender for the best game of 2010. Why? Because it is an absolutely astonishing game.

On the surface, it looks very similar to Fallout 3, and you would be correct in thinking that, for the most part. However, when you begin the bigger quests, explore a bit more, and turn on 'Hardcore mode' (more on that later) you realise this is totally different. The story is very good, with a choice of 4 endings as well, you can be sure the game plays out a different way when you replay and fight for a different faction. The map seems smaller than in Fallout 3, especially because at least a quarter of the map is sealed off by cliffs. However, this doesn't matter, as each location is interesting to visit, the majority having a quest to go with it, loot, or NPC's to talk to. The action has been revamped as well, allowing V.A.T.S, and having 'true aim' - something Fallout 3 desperatly needed. The graphics are still nice, especially seeing the Strip of New Vegas lighting up the night sky. While Fallout 3 was possible of this, the environment is not just ruins and rubble, allowing for nice variety.

The aforementioned 'Hardcore mode' is a welcome, and optional addition. What it does is introduce aspects like dehydration, hunger, needing sleep, and needing proper medical attention when crippled. This doesn't make the game that much harder than what it can be already, but does make the experience richer when turned on.

A lot of reviews are damning this game purely on the bugs, glitches and problems. This game does have some bugs - but as did Fallout 3. Most of these are fixed with a reload however, and are not as big a problem as people claim. The one thing I will mention though - my computer is more than powerful enough for this game, a 2.93GHZ Quad Core, 4GB of RAM and an Nvidia 295GTX, running on a 64bit version of 7. The performance is very bad when a lot of people appear on screen, and the larger battles become difficult. I feel this is due to having a 64bit system, as my old install with far older hardware had no problems whatso-ever in Fallout 3. This is a big issue - and Obsidian need to fix this as soon as possible.

In closing, the problems in this game are completely dwarfed by what it does right - providing 30+ hours of RPG bliss, and is an absolute essential for any gamer.
  25. Oct 23, 2010
    First let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. IFirst let's get the tech issues out of the way. Yes there are many. Some have been resolved, and some most likely never will. However, if you're looking to play this game, then you've probably played Fallout 3. If this is the case, the glitches with the game engine have not changed. Graphics look identical to Fallout 3 / Oblivion. The most agravating issue was the quicksave disappearing. I didn't realise it was an issue until, I got home from work to find that my first 2 hours (or more) were gone. Now I'm so paranoid that I still do a full (esc, save, pick a slot, confirm to overwrite, OK) save before I quit a session. Quicksave seems OK while playing though. As for performance, I find it identical to Fallout 3 on a Phenom II 965 / 6 Gb DDR 3 / ATI 4890. I played FO 3 on Phenom 9950 / 4 Gb DDR 2 / Same video card. I suspect that my recent upgrade has no impact on the performance of this game. If it does, I'll edit this review when my son gets his copy, as he has inherited my old machine. (Well, the major guts of it anyway.)

The gameplay is pretty much the same as FO 3 and I'm sure that you've read enough by now to know about the factions, and the companion aspects that have been introduced. So I won't bore you with that. I do find New Vegas to be a wee bit harder than FO 3. In one situation I had to restart a battle with some Legionaires about 6 times, before I came up with a way to get out of the location alive. (I hate to admit this, but I killed them and then ran away like a total wuss until I could fast travel to a safe spot. Just like the kid giving his playground bullies the finger from the safety of Mom's car.) I love the sound effect when a new quest becomes available, and the few side quests I've completed are enjoyable. Now, that I'm no longer worried about losing my game progress, I enjoy playing this game as much as FO3. I does sort of play like an expansion, but from what I see so far, there is alot to do here. If you liked Fallout 3 on the PC, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up New Vegas.
  26. Oct 20, 2010
    I found Fallout New Vegas to be a refreshing turn from Fallout 3. The combat isn't spray and prey anymore, the spread of rifles is more logical, the ammo is great and 3 hours in and no enclave or super mutants which in Fallout 3 seemed to be the only opponents other than the occasional rad roach or feral. The binoculars don't zoom as far as I had hoped but they do help some. Other thanI found Fallout New Vegas to be a refreshing turn from Fallout 3. The combat isn't spray and prey anymore, the spread of rifles is more logical, the ammo is great and 3 hours in and no enclave or super mutants which in Fallout 3 seemed to be the only opponents other than the occasional rad roach or feral. The binoculars don't zoom as far as I had hoped but they do help some. Other than that it's a great game and worth the money, for the PC that is, it has a few bugs and is obviously better as we have unofficial patches and mods for the PC. I wouldn't buy any bethesda game on the Xbox or Ps3. Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    There is a lack of reviews for this game this morning for some reason so I am posting this to help people out. Keep in mind I did not play for very long but this will give you something. I downloaded last night as pre-load from Steam and played a little before I went to work this morning. The game is similar to F3. Graphics seem a little better than the last game. My settings are UltraThere is a lack of reviews for this game this morning for some reason so I am posting this to help people out. Keep in mind I did not play for very long but this will give you something. I downloaded last night as pre-load from Steam and played a little before I went to work this morning. The game is similar to F3. Graphics seem a little better than the last game. My settings are Ultra High. I loved F3 but the dismal environment got depressing. The Mojave desert has some green cactus's mixed in and bright colors. This is a welcome change for me and I really like the new look. Weapons can also be modded. I really like this. Dev's said that scopes can be traded out on guns. I saw in pip boy that weapons had a choice to mod but I did not have any mods that early in game. The mods sound similar to Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 which I loved. First person shooting is a good addition I think instead of running away or backing up to rebuild AP. I did not play for very long(~40 minutes) but I did NOT notice long load times, clipping, or game breaking show stoppers such as those described in console reviews. This review is for PC. I understand it is not extensive but I am a little irritated by the lack of main stream reviews and decided to act instead of **** So far the game seems pretty impressive and solid for me. Can't wait to play when I get home.

My system is quad core Phenom 2, 4870 GPU, 8 Gigs RAM, okay quality motherboard. Not trying to show off my system, just posting so you can compare.
  28. Oct 20, 2010
    Autosaves DO work, they are in your FalloutNV folder in My Documents, as a .bak file, just need renaming... give it a try, copy them all and plat around with what is the right one.

Not the ideal solution, but this game is amazing, and this autosave bug is easily rectified
  29. Oct 19, 2010
    Bethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE playerBethesda does it again. Fallout: New Vegas is the epitome of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." even the "bugs" that came with fallout 3, are a welcome site to see again. also, if you are wondering where the multi player mode is....in order for Bethesda to gain the rights to the fallout franchise, they had to sign into contract with Black Isle that they can only produce SINGLE player fallout games, not multi player. trust me, it's true, im not lying. go google it. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2010
    Having enjoyed Fallout 3. I expected very much from Fallout New Vegas and it did not disappoint. These two games are similar yes, but not exactly the same. With slight graphical and technical improvements; New Vegas as much to offer for new and returning players. I have not come across any major glitches/bugs that effected my game play, but as well you cannot expect a new release to beHaving enjoyed Fallout 3. I expected very much from Fallout New Vegas and it did not disappoint. These two games are similar yes, but not exactly the same. With slight graphical and technical improvements; New Vegas as much to offer for new and returning players. I have not come across any major glitches/bugs that effected my game play, but as well you cannot expect a new release to be 100% bug free. With a vast wasteland at your feet and countless hours to explore. Fallout New Vegas is well-worth its value. Expand
  31. Oct 19, 2010
    I loved part 3 and i haven't played part 1 and 2 *shame* I love the game engine, already loved it in oblivion and its still fantastic. great areas, nice indoor and tons of non scripted situations that make every step unique in this dangerous future scenario. Not perfect yet, but with dlc, patches and mods it gonna rock even more. 10 points because after the work that has to be done itI loved part 3 and i haven't played part 1 and 2 *shame* I love the game engine, already loved it in oblivion and its still fantastic. great areas, nice indoor and tons of non scripted situations that make every step unique in this dangerous future scenario. Not perfect yet, but with dlc, patches and mods it gonna rock even more. 10 points because after the work that has to be done it would be an 11 or 12 score :) Expand
  32. Oct 19, 2010
    I thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if youI thought the game would be pretty much identical to F3, but it brings up some great improvements such as mods, a lot more weapons than the first, great dialogue and funny some times like in F3 and a slight graphical and technical improvement. I haven't played a lot, but since now there was no game break or tons of bugs like i was reading in almost all the xbox reviews. But overall if you liked the first one, buy this one. Expand
  33. Oct 23, 2010
    With Fallout: New Vegas all I can say is that it's NOT a DLC that they just called another game just to rip you off full price... (cough cough left 4 dead 2). This game is a full fledged world with a full and descriptive story-line. The game has been given graphically, some touches here and there. This is things in game such as: Better looking characters, slightly farther viewing distance,With Fallout: New Vegas all I can say is that it's NOT a DLC that they just called another game just to rip you off full price... (cough cough left 4 dead 2). This game is a full fledged world with a full and descriptive story-line. The game has been given graphically, some touches here and there. This is things in game such as: Better looking characters, slightly farther viewing distance, better lighting and texture reactions to lighting, and flora has been touched on as well noticeably. All the new revamped sounds for the guns and weapons sound realistic as well now. Third person mode was fixed where it is now an "accurate" camera, so when I look at something in third person mode, now I can pick it up. So far, being 6 hours in, no major glitches are present, just some areas where my framerates will go from smooth 60 to 20, thats being around stuff like fire, smoke, dust-devils, etc. The new environment has been completely redone. I have seen almost NO repeating textures from Fallout 3, besides a few rocks and some dungeon floors maybe, but have noticed some reused stuff from oblivion such as glowing mushrooms or their dungeon looks. Aiming down the sights is now present and is actually accurate. Crouching now affects your aim more, which gives a more realistic approach to combat. Enemy AI are slightly changed with more aggressive, and conservative(by fleeing) enemies. The tons of new guns, plus a couple of classics like the 10mm pistol from FO3 are present. The new factions system is amazingly done, so many factions, and all of it is your choice openly on what to do to them. A full fledged crafting system is now in-game. Now you can create ammo types, Modify guns(stuff like silencers and scopes, barrels, etc.), and cook stuff from healing powders to anti venom. Enemies now are harder as well thanks to the new armor system. If I shoot a radscorpion, he is armored, it will tell me next to his health-bar. This gives the game a more RPG feel where tactics are involved. Some enemies now poison your character, requiring you to have anti venom. Hardcore mode makes the game allot more realistic. They should have called it realism mode because its not really more difficult, its just how you play. The food and drinking system is realistically paced, that means i only get dangerously thirsty/hungry/sleepy around the amount of time it take someone in real life to. It also makes stimpacks and foods heal over time instead of instantly. Character movements have been changed to look less robotic as well. This applies to stuff such as getting hit in the head and jumping and running animations. The map is around 3/4 the size of FO3, but guys, we all know that 1/4 of FO3's map was mob space anyways, just there to hold enemies. The other 3/4 where content filled, just like the WHOLE entire vegas map. Plants now grow around the wastes for you to pick and use to craft with, or just eat. About 9/10 of their perks i have seen so far you gain on leveling are cool and helpful, unlike its predecessor which had a broken perk system. The trait system is cool as well, and the game presents you with them simple and faster near the beginning. The start of the game has been improved so now you can get into the wasteland for "real" to play in less than a few minutes. So... Overall the game has been revamped, and I really love it. Its more shooter, and more rpg than FO3 was. I give it a 10/10 because this just perfected what FO3 tried to achieve, the perfect fallout world. Expand
  34. Oct 19, 2010
    Awesome game! A lots of graphic improvements ... The audio is beautiful...
    Dont have the fallout 3 bugs... Now i cant minimize the game without crash it!
    The history takes your attention for hours!
    Recommended!
  35. Oct 20, 2010
    A marvelous addition to the Fallout franchise. Even if the bugs prohibit some players to enjoy the game to it's fullest. They are a minor inconvenience to an otherwise excellent game. The story is compelling, the graphics still hold up to today's standards. Overall, an excellent and a must buy game.
  36. Oct 20, 2010
    I will keep this very short; There are bugs and slow downs on older systems. In terms of the gaming experience, I like the whole idea of scrounging in Post-Apocalypse and being able to craft your own gear, gadgets, mods, etc. I felt the npc interactions felt less generic and robotic than other games; char. creation with Doc Mitchell, and the "tutorial" with Sunny are good examples. ThisI will keep this very short; There are bugs and slow downs on older systems. In terms of the gaming experience, I like the whole idea of scrounging in Post-Apocalypse and being able to craft your own gear, gadgets, mods, etc. I felt the npc interactions felt less generic and robotic than other games; char. creation with Doc Mitchell, and the "tutorial" with Sunny are good examples. This won't be for everyone, but I'm loving it so far. Too bad limit demos are a thing of the past. Anyone old enough to remember playing the first chapter of Doom for free? Expand
  37. Oct 20, 2010
    Simply amazing. I am loving every second of this game, from crafting, to iron sights, to new quests, and the New Vegas strip. The dark humour from Fallout's 1 and 2 is back, and with the Wild Wasteland trait, the game is funnier than ever. Everything is balanced, from perks, to guns, to leveling, and even the enemies, although the cazadors are a bit hard to kill. The new locations reallySimply amazing. I am loving every second of this game, from crafting, to iron sights, to new quests, and the New Vegas strip. The dark humour from Fallout's 1 and 2 is back, and with the Wild Wasteland trait, the game is funnier than ever. Everything is balanced, from perks, to guns, to leveling, and even the enemies, although the cazadors are a bit hard to kill. The new locations really show off the beauty of the engine, and while there are some bugs, a patch came out today that's really working quite well. The voice acting is great and the characters, simply charismatic. Enjoy your stay. Expand
  38. Oct 20, 2010
    Finally a return to what Fallout was really like. It might st ill be Oblivion with guns, but the story (and writing) is obviously much, MUCH more like it's origin's than Fallout 3 (okay, i'm a purist, I admit it).
  39. Oct 21, 2010
    Finally the true Fallout 3 arrives. Thankfully for PC users we got the patch for bug fixes pushed out almost immediately, thus far I've encountered no issues playing the game-other than the compulsive need to continue playing long into the night. Fans can scoop up this game assured you'll be getting a wonderful game complete with all the dark humor, entertaining dialogue and pop cultureFinally the true Fallout 3 arrives. Thankfully for PC users we got the patch for bug fixes pushed out almost immediately, thus far I've encountered no issues playing the game-other than the compulsive need to continue playing long into the night. Fans can scoop up this game assured you'll be getting a wonderful game complete with all the dark humor, entertaining dialogue and pop culture references that have been staples of the franchise. Obsidian has crafted their first excellent game, something long overdue for such a talented but underutilized studio. Expand
  40. Oct 21, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas is a solid game with intriguing characters and a more vibrant landscape than Fallout 3. The re-use of building material skins and lack of new hairstyles feels lazy, but this is only a disappointment, not a major detriment to game play. Factions provide a new dimension, although the faction system is not as in-depth as players may like. Some have complained about theFallout: New Vegas is a solid game with intriguing characters and a more vibrant landscape than Fallout 3. The re-use of building material skins and lack of new hairstyles feels lazy, but this is only a disappointment, not a major detriment to game play. Factions provide a new dimension, although the faction system is not as in-depth as players may like. Some have complained about the ability to carry faction armor, but it's enough of a drain on your weight limit you're unlikely to lug it around "just in case The new ammo system feels bulky at times, but offers new avenues of strategy to veteran players. The game has many annoyances that make me wonder how hard Bethesda was trying, especially in regards to invisible walls that make travel unduly difficult, but the writing is top-notch. If you loved Fallout 3 you'll be pleased with New Vegas, although it takes longer to immerse yourself in than it's predecessor. Expand
  41. Oct 21, 2010
    Proof that the PC is still top dog when it comes to platform quality. While this game fails to deliver the thrill that made Fallout 3 the best RPG since Neverwinter Nights, its undeniable quality and "go anywhere" freedom make it an excellent example of the open world in an action RPG. Bugs and underwhelming story makes a non story focussed game only slightly less brilliant, and this titleProof that the PC is still top dog when it comes to platform quality. While this game fails to deliver the thrill that made Fallout 3 the best RPG since Neverwinter Nights, its undeniable quality and "go anywhere" freedom make it an excellent example of the open world in an action RPG. Bugs and underwhelming story makes a non story focussed game only slightly less brilliant, and this title shimmers with quality and fun. Expand
  42. Oct 22, 2010
    The game is very well done considering it's storyline, quests, new features. The only real problem (which in my opinion is exaggerated) is lack of graphic improvement and bugs.

Graphics are already very good to being with, especially considering that fallout 1 and 2 had very bad graphics by modern standards, yet it was quality of storyline and freedom that made people fall in love with these games. Thus, in my humble opinion lack of graphics improvement is of a very little importance.

In regard to shooting I have to say that it actually improved in relation to Fallout 3(especially iron sights, which I love.) People who whine about it not being as good as in Call of Duty are forgetting that this is RPG and not a SHOOTER.

I, during my 5 hours of playing had not experienced a single crash, or a major bug. Only common bug I saw in the game was that NPCS would sometime get stuck in some objects
    Also quick saves and auto saves do not work after game is restarted, but I am pretty sure that will be fixed, if not already, very soon. Any other bugs are rare or not annoying.

People who said that game is laggy are crazy. I play on all the highest settings (ultra high, with resolution of 1440x900 or something like that) and I never experienced a lag. My computer stats are Quad 2.4HZ 4GB memory, 260GTX Invidia.

If you are a fan of RPG in any way, this is a must buy.
  43. Oct 23, 2010
    I will just say one thing to those people who are talking crap about this brilliant game. I am a big fan of Fallout franchise and this one is also a masterpiece in this franchise. Yes i admit one thing the graphics are not good but if you just look at graphics then u can't be a gamer. If u really are a gamer then just stick to the gameplay. And plzzz don't talk any other crap about thisI will just say one thing to those people who are talking crap about this brilliant game. I am a big fan of Fallout franchise and this one is also a masterpiece in this franchise. Yes i admit one thing the graphics are not good but if you just look at graphics then u can't be a gamer. If u really are a gamer then just stick to the gameplay. And plzzz don't talk any other crap about this brilliant game plzzz.. Expand
  44. Oct 24, 2010
    This is what games should be like. This is a mature game, for those that really want to invest in a game and immerse in the storyline. If you're looking for an on-rails shooter just let this game go and go buy one of the 99% of boring same games out there.

The storyline sucks you in and is much more loyal to the 2 first amazing fallout games. Sure the graphics are dated, and there are the occasional bugs, but the game is challenging (especially in hardcore mode) interesting and keeps you coming for more.

And finally it's an RPG whose storyline is not: The end is coming (the blight, the horde, the dark forces or whatever) and you're the one who has to stop it...There's an original story with much more complex and interesting elements.

If what I mentioned above is what you're looking for in a game, go get it RIGHT NOW
  45. Oct 24, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is hands down the best game of the year. Surpassing FO3 in all aspects. The New Vegas world is much more interactive and better made than the FO3's world. The graphic were only slightly improved but the great amount in the game you cannot blame them for not giving the game a major makeover. The new game play aspects are amazing such as hardcore mode, the revamp of theFallout New Vegas is hands down the best game of the year. Surpassing FO3 in all aspects. The New Vegas world is much more interactive and better made than the FO3's world. The graphic were only slightly improved but the great amount in the game you cannot blame them for not giving the game a major makeover. The new game play aspects are amazing such as hardcore mode, the revamp of the workbench and campfires. Yes there are quite a few bugs but nothing as disastrous as the major glitches in FO3. Definitely worth the time! Expand
  46. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas has grown in so many ways. Numerous more weapons, voice actors, skins, apparel, and factions to side with. Also, there are numerous new ways to advance your character past the old kill, pick, hack, coerce, complete quest experience gain. Now there are challenges to complete that sometimes supply a new perk, two extra traits to choose during character creation, and even the choice of your companion can offer a perk (Ex. Boone's Spotter perk). Hardcore mode does not seem as hardcore as it could, as you can easily find food, water, and a place to sleep, and making the stimpaks and radaways tick per second only causes a few retries on the tougher encounters. At launch many people had saving issues which is a nightmare for those who lost and couldn't find their many hours of game data, though the manual save feature has and still does work. Graphics seem improved due to the amount of what is to be seen on the screen during larger battles and the entry of New Vegas Strip. The decisions of the player make for a different ending each time, but once you complete the main story line, do not expect to continue on unless you have an old save file. New Vegas has proved to be an impressive title that lives up to most of its fans expectations. Expand
  47. Oct 25, 2010
    Lots of bunk little reviews on here - scores of 2 and 3, you people should get a bit of a grip. Truth is: FNV isn't perfect. But as many have said, it is the game FO3 should have been. Although the map is smaller, the world just feels so much more alive, for a large part because of the factions fighting amongst themselves. FO3 was a great sandbox game, but FNV is simply better: the combatLots of bunk little reviews on here - scores of 2 and 3, you people should get a bit of a grip. Truth is: FNV isn't perfect. But as many have said, it is the game FO3 should have been. Although the map is smaller, the world just feels so much more alive, for a large part because of the factions fighting amongst themselves. FO3 was a great sandbox game, but FNV is simply better: the combat feels more balanced, hardcore mode turns a shooter with RPG edge into an RPG with a shooter edge. The music is great. The graphics aren't great, but they're more than up to task of drawing you in. VATS is as great as ever, but it's good that crits drop you into slo-mo outside of VATS now too. Melee weapons are a lot more fun. But most importantly: the quests, the world and the dialog are a lot more believable and enjoyable than FO3's. If you enjoyed FO3, consider that a trial run and just get FNV, You'll love it. If you didn't like FO3, I'm not sure this will convince you. But at the end of the day, this is simply one of the best RPG's available on PC. Expand
  48. Oct 25, 2010
    Obsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionallyObsidian realized with New Vegas what Bethesda intended with Fallout 3. Upon first inspection, New Vegas appears to be a reskin of Fallout 3 set near the west coast. However, Obsidian brings to the table the character, design elements, and moral ambiguity of the original two Fallout games to New Vegas, overhauling the game's mechanics to fall more in line with what we traditionally associate with Fallout: You are imperfect, and you must use your personalized assets as best as you can to make it through. Whereas Fallout 3 afforded you a "Perk" every level, New Vegas cuts that down to once every two levels, and generally gives you fewer opportunities to morph your character into an all-in-one death-god. Also new to the game is the concept of "Damage Threshold" for armor, introducing a game mechanic which would require that you use heavier weapons for armored targets or face the risk of wasting rapid-fire ammo and meeting your death.

Obsidian also included a "Hardcore" mode which seems more like the intended way of playing, rather than the optional feature that it's hyped up to be. Much like your radiation meter, in Hardcore you now have Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep meters which slowly creep up while you quest through the Mojave Wasteland, necessitating that you sleep, eat, and drink at semi-regular intervals. Crippled limbs are also much more of a hindrance in Hardcore mode, as they can only be healed by one of three routes: By paying a doctor, using a Doctor's Bag, or using "Hydra", a drug that regenerates your limbs.

Game mechanics aside, New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It builds and improves upon every aspect of it's predecessor, at the cost of building a game as large and intricate as a house of cards. Because there are so many different questlines, so many different ways you can do things, it's likely that at some point, you will break the game. The greatest criticism right now with New Vegas is that it has bugs. Anyone who's played Fallout since the 90s knows, however, that bugs crawling out from under the series' ambition has always plagued Fallout games. Fallout 1 and 2 have had unofficial patches from the community, fixing bugs and adding content that was originally planned; Obsidian and Bethesda are obligated to patch the game after release, as bugs are found, but if they treat this game the way they did Fallout 3 and Oblivion before it, you can expect to see a community patch in the future as well.

However, despite release-day bugs, the game is solid, it's epic, and it will move you. I'm convinced that those who have rated this game below a 6 or 7 on the basis of "bugs" are harboring greater, older prejudices, and are looking for some justification to smear this game on the account of it not being a "true sequel" to the original two Fallout games. (ie, produced by Black Isle in the 2d isometric turn-based style)

The soundtrack consists of sweeping ambient melodies as those found in Fallout 3, and also a brand new setlist of 50s era music, with a decidedly more "western" or "Vegas" feel (Sinatra, songs about cowboys, etc). The graphics engine is still running on a modified GameBryo engine (the same that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3) but Obsidian has manipulated the engine to great effect in order to make the world more "alive". In the opening town, Goodsprings, you'll find tumbleweeds floating around and sand twisting in the wind. As you travel from place to place, you find that atmosphere is much more diverse than Fallout 3's bleak rubble.

The storyline is also much less contrived for you, allowing you to decide your allegiances just as you like, without feeling penned into a Good vs Evil storyline that mired Fallout 3. No single faction is purely good; Expect to make some hard choices if you want to play morally. Altogether, I'm giving this game a 9, because it'll suck you in, keep you involved, and even when you beat it, you're going to want to start one new character after another to try every route that you couldn't take in your previous playthrough. The only downsides are the bugs and the outdated graphics engine, but neither of those get noticeably in the way of the overall gameplay or storyline, which are the two big draws for this title. If the game was properly polished (which is unimaginable for QA testers considering the overall breadth and depth of the game) it would deserve a perfect 10.

As for New Vegas, the game is as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, but I think I'm in love. Ain't that a kick in the head?
  49. Oct 26, 2010
    Why do i get the feeling i just paid $100 dollars to run Beta for a large gaming production? I paid this money so that i can put a disk in my PC load on a game and float away in an imaginary world, instead im stuck patching this, installing a lost .dll file, changing a wordpad doc while clapping my heads and spinning around backwards saying i got suckered by a large game productionWhy do i get the feeling i just paid $100 dollars to run Beta for a large gaming production? I paid this money so that i can put a disk in my PC load on a game and float away in an imaginary world, instead im stuck patching this, installing a lost .dll file, changing a wordpad doc while clapping my heads and spinning around backwards saying i got suckered by a large game production company. EPIC FAIL. As faithfull as i am still to this game, me and all of those having these problems shouldt be put through this.. i didint pay 'Beth' money so that i can read up forums and fix the game myself!! Expand
  50. Nov 3, 2010
    To simply put it is amazing, idk what derpderpderp is talking about, the graphics are nice, shooting mechanics are great. Simple, no long review, my review is in the number!
  51. Oct 30, 2010
    This game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it aThis game does not deserve the low scores it is getting. Doesn't deserve a 10, but certainly not a 0-5. It's a fun game. I have not found any glitches yet. Aside from jumping sideways instead of forward when running after not jumping for a while, that's about it. Story line isn't as good as FO3, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game. There are plenty of changes in the game that give it a different feel than aforementioned FO3. If you liked #3, there's a very good chance you'll enjoy New Vegas. That is all. Expand
  52. Jun 18, 2012
    To me, the most stunning part of this game is the DLC. Not that you can't have a bunch of fun without it. It's just super fun to explore the new dynamics. Highly recommend Old World Blues and Honest Hearts
  53. Nov 2, 2010
    A lot of fun. I have been almost completely bug free, though I've heard about a lot of bugs on the x-box version. The main quest is a bit laking, but the huge interesting world is a blast to explore, and the general gameplay is very enjoyable.
  54. Nov 16, 2010
    This is an update of my previous review. The score has been adjusted upward from 8/10 to 9/10.

Atmosphere. Atmosphere never changes, and it's everywhere in Fallout: New Vegas. The game literally drips with ambiance, clever plots, and interesting characters. In many ways, F:NV is the sequel that FO3 should have been, with much tighter writing and plenty of the series' trademark black humor. I've been continually impressed with the actual fun factor of the game. There are no cookie cutter quests, no boring grinds. Every task is unique. Also, the sheer extremism of some of the factions can provoke a visceral reaction. You'll understand what I mean after a few brushes with the men in skirts. This is a true RPG with plenty of meat to its bones, but also a heavily tactical shooter that demands specialization and punishes hesitation. In short, the gameplay absolutely rocks. So why isn't it a ten? A handful of reasons, most of them regarding the aging Gamebryo engine. To note, the Facegen and DirectX problems that plagued earlier versions have finally been fixed, and the majority of players can now have a smooth Wasteland experience! Kudos to Bethesda, although they should have taken care of these issues pre-release.

Loading stutters will still happen, even on high end machines. AI behavior can be downright goofy (sometimes intentionally). The graphics are noticeably dated, although still pretty. There isn't a great deal of musical variety on the radios, although incredible mods like CONELRAD and Existence 2.0 rectify this situation quite nicely. There are a whole host of minor flaws and little bugs that mar the experience. Despite this, it is an amazing game and well worth the caps... err... cash.

The only reason I would not recommend this is if you don't like the post-apocalyptic genre in general or the Fallout series in particular. Otherwise, pony up and get ready for Vegas.
  55. Nov 3, 2010
    Who ever sais that new vegas is a bad Bugged game then u either dont update or have a bad computer.
    Im a huge fan of the fallout series and they are awsome rpg's. I admit it's alot like F3 and could have been named a complete expansion, but the mods and new ammo along with gambling really gave it a different feel. Even with a phew moments of scratching your head seeing an npc walking above the ground or stuck outside the map bethesda/obsidian has made a game of great proportions.
  56. Nov 3, 2010
    Another great game from Bethesda! A lot of improvement since Fallout 3, a really long and intense playtrough with a bunch of side quest.
    The story is more open ended (like Fallout and Fallout 2) than Fallout 3, and reintroduce the reputation system.
    Of course, the PC version maintain the community modding feature... the secret of success of Bethesda games. Hope to see soon some quality

Hope to see soon some quality DLC... maybe like Point Lookout.
    Like I've already say this game is great, and have the potential to improve even more with Mods and DLC.
  57. Nov 3, 2010
    It's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopesIt's a good game, more morally ambiguous and darker than FO3, and with a less linear main story. However things like bugs (mostly in the engine), a few design flaws like excess of items in inventory, messed up marking of objects as theft, and too few levels (as a repeated flaw), mean that it does fall short of the original FO3 in my opinion. One great new addition is binoculars and scopes that actually work, making sniping and reconnaissance viable (and advantageous!). The engine is showing it's age and the radio feature didn't seem as good as FO3 as well. There is also less humour, which does seem strange since this is supposedly by a team with a lot of Black Isle members. However it's still good, and a welcome fresh twist on the original FO3. Expand
  58. Nov 4, 2010
    Simply awesome game! I never really enjoeyd fallout 3, but this is really a blast. On my third playthrough and im still having a great time with all the customization etc. I have hope in the mods as well.

Rated 9/10 and not 10 because of the various glitches (Steam's erasing 5 hours of gameplay, horrible fps without the player fix, dog's eyes out of head, people in the roof/walls, etc, mostly not game-breaking)
  59. Nov 3, 2010
    This game is what I had hoped it would be and more. I loved Fallout 3 but I hated the persistent crashes. So far, FONV has run without a hitch. There is definitely improvements on the user-interface. The story and dialogue are outstanding....and it's gangster noir western, via the Vegas backdrop, is awesome. If you loved FO3 and Las Vegas, then you will probably love FONV. ObsidianThis game is what I had hoped it would be and more. I loved Fallout 3 but I hated the persistent crashes. So far, FONV has run without a hitch. There is definitely improvements on the user-interface. The story and dialogue are outstanding....and it's gangster noir western, via the Vegas backdrop, is awesome. If you loved FO3 and Las Vegas, then you will probably love FONV. Obsidian has earned my respect after the NWN2 debacle. Cheers!!! Expand
  60. Nov 4, 2010
    A good game for sure, but it could definitely use much more polish. The game mechanics from Fallout 3 have been slightly improved, and a hardcore mode makes the game feel more immersive. But unfortunately, the game suffers from a handful of not horrible, but annoying bugs. An outdated graphics system is visible all across the Mojave (the lack of an in-game graphics interface should beA good game for sure, but it could definitely use much more polish. The game mechanics from Fallout 3 have been slightly improved, and a hardcore mode makes the game feel more immersive. But unfortunately, the game suffers from a handful of not horrible, but annoying bugs. An outdated graphics system is visible all across the Mojave (the lack of an in-game graphics interface should be noted as well), and a very predictable storyline that reads much like that of its predecessor is a big let-down. Expand
  61. Nov 6, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout: New Vegas seems to be too close to the previous series, but after a few minutes you understand the striking difference which is altough not enough to reborn Fallout franchise, unfortunately.11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 Expand
  62. Nov 7, 2010
    Worthy follow up to fallout 3. You'll never find a game that gives you more freedom than this. Minor bugs and glitches are all excused. To give an idea of what you are free to do, someone completed the whole without killing any people or animals! Took him a 70 hours run though hehe.
  63. Nov 9, 2010
    I've been playing this for a week now and I can safely say that this is my game of the year. Better in every imaginable way than Fallout 3, if you think FO3 is just "OK" or above you owe it to yourself to buy this game. Fantastic job by Obsidian. There are some technical issues but again, much less and not so severe as in FO3. All in all a nearly perfect game that can only get better (byI've been playing this for a week now and I can safely say that this is my game of the year. Better in every imaginable way than Fallout 3, if you think FO3 is just "OK" or above you owe it to yourself to buy this game. Fantastic job by Obsidian. There are some technical issues but again, much less and not so severe as in FO3. All in all a nearly perfect game that can only get better (by official patches/DLCs and the very active mod community) Expand
  64. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome! Another great job by the guys and gals at Obsidian. Thanks a bunch for an excellent game! Just getting started but I love all that I've seen so far.
  65. Jov
    Nov 9, 2010
    To preface, I'm a fan of The Elder Scrolls series (though I've grown distaste for Bethesda as a company in the past few years), and thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3. I'm also a bit of a mature gamer.

I am loving New Vegas. I feel it is an improvement/refinement of Fallout 3 in every way. The difficulty (at Hard/Hardcore mode) is sufficient. The wasteland feels a bit more empty this time around (less enemies), but this also feels more realistic.

One of the things I actually like, is the main quest feels a lot less prominent than almost any game I've played. There is obviously a primary quest, but once you reach a certain point the game doesn't forcefeed you motivation to complete it. It's just there. The game truly feels like an open world, and it a pretty genuine one, at that.

The weapons are cool, and the weapon mods are a great addition. They are expensive; Giving you something to spend your heaps of money on, which Bethesda has never been so great at. The armor and weapons are also pricey, they are tempting, but I've held off on buying any.

The bugs are very minor to me. The only one that I have really had a problem with is the save corruption bug, but that is avoidable so long as you avoid the Come Fly With Me quest, and avoid Vault 34 (?). So, having skirted one quest and all vaults, I've had a more or less bug-free experience.

This game is great fun, with lots of unnecessary dialogue that serves purely to enrich the game world, with much better voice acting than Bethesda ever accomplished. I'm more than satisfied with Obsidian, and wouldn't mind if they made TES:V, because I think Bethesda is losing their touch.
  66. Nov 9, 2010
    If you liked Fallout 3, you may very well like Fallout: New Vegas. They have a lot of similarities; the only reason I can't be sure is that I didn't like Fallout 3, so I don't know what it's like to be you.

If you liked Fallout 1 or Fallout 2, you probably hated Fallout 3's hackneyed dialogue writing, awful plot, cookie-cutter characters etc. and expect to hate New Vegas because it'll be more of the same. I know *exactly* what that is like. Now that I've completed the game, though, I may definitively state - FNV is *not* more of Fallout 3. This game is what fans of the real Fallout games have been waiting for. The game is a big fat diamond covered in **** Most of the **** is Bethesda's perennially buggy engine, topped with a generous helping of rushed-release-belying content bugs. Extra stink is added in the form of very inconsistent voice acting - some is brilliant (Primm Slim, Benny), while some is inexcusably bad, with cases of actors clearly not understanding the semantics of the line they're reading, or obviously-Caucasian characters having obviously-African-American voice actors and vice versa. I began to dread encountering a similar mix-up but with the genders reversed; thankfully I never did.

All that said, I don't think I'd turn down a diamond covered in **** if it were offered to me just because it was covered in **** and neither should you. The game is visually limited to reusing a lot of Bethesda content, but all the new art was clearly made by people who understand what the Fallout aesthetic is supposed to be like. FNV's dialogue hearkens back to the games that made the series great, exposing Fallout 3's writers for the intellectual midgets they are, and the game's plotting is compelling (for an epic hero story, which all modern RPG's seemingly must be) and flows well. You will not be left asking yourself why an incredibly obvious solution to a problem was not possible in the game; the game's factions range from darkly humorous to just dark, but they (and their actions) all make sense in context. The game allows actual choice (not merely the illusion thereof) in the player's approaches to problem-solving, and does not exhibit Press Blue To Win Syndrome. For those who didn't play Mass Effect 2, what I mean to say is that many choices have real consequences in that they are mutually exclusive - you cannot consistently have your cake and eat it too.
  67. Nov 10, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas plays like Fallout 3 and feels like Fallout 2. Fallout games have been in my top 5 since it first came out. I love the atmosphere the games create. The landscape it puts you in. The non-linear gameplay it presents. The humor and pop-culture references. The stories they create. New Vegas is another great addition to the Fallout universe. There are a lot of tie-ins in theFallout: New Vegas plays like Fallout 3 and feels like Fallout 2. Fallout games have been in my top 5 since it first came out. I love the atmosphere the games create. The landscape it puts you in. The non-linear gameplay it presents. The humor and pop-culture references. The stories they create. New Vegas is another great addition to the Fallout universe. There are a lot of tie-ins in the game with the original Fallout games. It builds on the lore and stories of the world without bogging down the main story for new players with it. The atmosphere is just as good as previous ones. It was a wonderful surprise to hear the same ambient music from Fallout 2. The acting was great, especially with being reminded of Dave Foley when you first hear the Yes Man. (and later I found out it was actually Dave Foley voicing him). The story was great, and realistic considering the setting. But like all Fallout games, the best stories are the ones you create for yourself. Those little adventures off the main path, to explore that cave or abandoned shack you see in the distance or those gun shots you heard from just over the hill. It should please old fans greatly and appeal to new fans as much as Fallout 3 did.

Cons: - The graphics are ok, but this almost being 2011, should be a little better. I would expect them to improve in the next Fallout game.
    - For some reason I really really wanted MORE music on the radio stations. It didn't seem like they had enough this time around. But it was still great voice acting!
    - Hardcore mode doesn't seem to be hardcore enough. But a wonderful addition nonetheless!
    - I don't understand why you can't fully rotate the camera.
    - Invisible walls. There are a lot more of then in New Vegas then Fallout 3. I explore a lot, and when I can't go over a 4 foot high hill due to an invisible wall, that is really really really really disappointing and take you out of the experience. Then you have to walk around it.. there's no excuse for this in today's games, but a lot of games STILL have that. New Vegas, more so then others.
    - The bugs that everyone is apparently having is sure a downer. If anything that's staying true to the Fallout franchise. Every Fallout game was loaded with bugs on release. Fallout 2 even had a community patch to fix most of them. This is nothing new in the video game world. I however did not experience any "game ending" bugs. Out of the 80 some hours I put into it, its crashed once. And I had 1 buggy quest that I had to use the console command to fix, since I seemingly did it out of order. And that's it.

If anyone wants a wild theory as to why my game is preforming so much better then others with almost no bugs, maybe its because I have a weird need to open the door to every bathroom stall I come across? Just a theory that holds as much weight as some of the complaints for this game.

I was however impressed with how fast patches started to come out of the game. The day after release was a major patch even. So people who are giving it a bad review for the bugs, let me ask you this, would you give it a better review if you played it, say a month after release? I can't see how you would not.
  68. Nov 11, 2010
    Ah, Fallout. A wonderful world, and always great to return to. This time around, with Obsidian developing it, things are looking up. For one, the story is better. While similar in parts, this time you get to chose who the "bad guy" can be (as compared to Fallout 3's Enclave being the certified enemies). This also falls in place with the Reputation system, which is very nice, although a bitAh, Fallout. A wonderful world, and always great to return to. This time around, with Obsidian developing it, things are looking up. For one, the story is better. While similar in parts, this time you get to chose who the "bad guy" can be (as compared to Fallout 3's Enclave being the certified enemies). This also falls in place with the Reputation system, which is very nice, although a bit annoying at some parts. You can now go around and get the worst karma, but as long as members of same faction don't know about it, then they will simply treat you the same. Its very nice, although it seems like you can quickly get a bad reputation with any faction very quickly, and will hopefully be fixed in future patches. Weapon mods are also in, however so far they don't seem to make a huge difference. The real winner for this game is the sheer amount of stuff packed into this world. So many quests, side quests, choices, companions, minigames, and they all seem to have different objectives. Another wonderful aspect is while violence is always acceptable, there are a lot more choices for dialogue, sneaking, and alternative methods to finish quests that, in Fallout 3, would probably end in a bloody shootout. One of the best games of the year, in my opinion, and deserves RPG of the Year, if not Game of the Year. Expand
  69. Nov 13, 2010
    Saying that this game is less than extraordinary would be a lie, that is, in terms of "RPG and action" that game is an epic, the game has it all: freedom, good story, game-play and an extraordinary game system, which is very similar to Fallout 3 (for players over time), but of course the game is not perfect, it has some glitches and bugs, but this is a very weak reason not to try thisSaying that this game is less than extraordinary would be a lie, that is, in terms of "RPG and action" that game is an epic, the game has it all: freedom, good story, game-play and an extraordinary game system, which is very similar to Fallout 3 (for players over time), but of course the game is not perfect, it has some glitches and bugs, but this is a very weak reason not to try this game, which will surely epoch. Expand
  70. Nov 15, 2010
    A true Fallout Fan, such as me, would not care if only a few changes were made from Fallout 3, this isn't Fallout 4, but it's still a new expansion and addition, with a lot of changes in the engine, it's still a little buggy, but it's a great RPG game, and far more enhanced than Fallout 3, great storyline + sidequests keep you entertained for hours.
  71. Nov 16, 2010
    Overall, this is a very good game. Decent storyline, tons of things to do, plenty of factions to work with, people to manipulate, and treasures to uncover. In a lot of ways it's what Fallout 3 should have been. The problem is, that while much needed depth and actual challenge (thank you so much for hardcore mode) was added to the uninspired and painfully exploitable Fallout 3, the price isOverall, this is a very good game. Decent storyline, tons of things to do, plenty of factions to work with, people to manipulate, and treasures to uncover. In a lot of ways it's what Fallout 3 should have been. The problem is, that while much needed depth and actual challenge (thank you so much for hardcore mode) was added to the uninspired and painfully exploitable Fallout 3, the price is even more bugs and stagnation in some pretty important areas. The shooting mechanics are no better than they were, and the bugs are many and varied. I've seen lots of mobs stuck inside the ground frantically trying to get out and I've had to load a game from 3 saves earlier to avoid a massive and recurring game ending crash. It might help to think of Fallout 3 as an alpha version of this, which would be the beta version. I'm still waiting on the finished product. Expand
  72. Nov 26, 2010
    Multo excellente amigos!
    Blackjack, hookers, cyberpunk, bargain & bang-bang V.A.T.S.
    Nice time-eater 4 adult gamer. So "bite my shiny metall ass!"
  73. Nov 27, 2010
    Fallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem toFallout 3 was an excellent game when it came out as it did a great job of combining FPS with RPG, was also clever and witty with the story line so I easily overlooked many of the minor flaws in the game. Fallout: New Vegas is essentially more of the same, so those flaws I previous overlooked are now more glaring. The main annoyance I encounter is with the in-game companions who seem to get stuck on the most minor map obstacles and chase the enemy even when you ask them to stay put. If you never tried Fallout 3, then get this one, if you did not like Fallout 3, you will likely not like this game. On the pro side, there is a great story, expansive and open areas to explore, new settings and life forms. Expand
  74. Dec 1, 2010
    First off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundredFirst off, most people giving this bad business blame it on the bugs, and also sway towards fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a very different game from new vegas, except for the lovley pip boy and the VATS targeting system. In fallout 3, it is a broken ruin of a once superpower. Brought down by greed. Edging for survival. In new vegas, its far more oriented towards the rebirth of society. 2 hundred years after the bombs fell. People emerging, forming new empires. And they clash and cause chaos. I will admit that the bugs are a miserable thing to live with. (On the first few days of release) after the patches, its fine. Ive got a 9800 Nvidia GT. graphics card, and an amd anthlon 64 3500+ processor, with 3.5 gigabytes of DDR ONE ram, with 200 mghz speed. Windows 7, I get 45 FPS. (Horrible spec's, but if I can get that, you can too!) Anyway, the game is lovingly funny, just a drab landscape. Gameplay is relatively fun. The kiting just got on my nerves. Dozens of hours worth of playtime, I played fallout 3 for 300 hours, with all DLC. very fun. New vegas however, being a little smaller but with better gameplay mechanics balances out everything that fallout3 had flaws with. Except perhaps the drab environment. (What more can you expect? ITS A NUCLEAR WASTELAND) if you are one for RPG with a bit of time on your hands, I would reccomend this over fallout 3. Dont get me wrong, fallout 3 is also an amazing game, they are both very worth the money. The only thing that pisses me off is the invisible game walls!!!!!!! THEY BLOCK OFF HALF THE MAP. Oh well. Expand
  75. Dec 5, 2010
    I understand many of the concerns raised by other reviewers however that said Fallout NV is still a great game and offers good value for money due to the hours and hours of game-play provided by the main story line and side quests. There are graphical glitches and oddly disappearing/re-appearing objects but after a while you don't really notice them. I would recommend this to any RPG player.
  76. Dec 20, 2010
    A good game, solid and entertaining. The factions were a nice change from Fallout 3. The introduction of weapon mods was an expected relief; they were one of the things Fallout 3 lacked. Character-wise the story was still quite dry but an improvement; less sappy than the father/child relationship that flowed through F' 3 with some nice role reversals as the player gains the upper hand inA good game, solid and entertaining. The factions were a nice change from Fallout 3. The introduction of weapon mods was an expected relief; they were one of the things Fallout 3 lacked. Character-wise the story was still quite dry but an improvement; less sappy than the father/child relationship that flowed through F' 3 with some nice role reversals as the player gains the upper hand in the latter parts of the game. Also a return to skills influencing quests and characters in ways not seen since Fallout 2.
    No noticeable bugs in my playthroughs; in fact it ran quite a bit smoother than F' 3.
    Nasty new enemies. More weapons. Memorable places and events. Add in the inevitable extra content which will eventually become available for purchase and fan mods it will be a very time consuming and pleasant experience for any gamer who likes RPGs or first person shooters.
  77. May 12, 2012
    If you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on someIf you haven't been diagnosed with ADD prior to playing Fallout New Vegas, you definitely will be after playing it. There are so many places to explore, people to talk to, and things to do that it's difficult not to get distracted. But the game remains fun even when you happen to run off on some wild goose chase because the story flows so seamlessly. It never feels like you are on some irrelevant side mission. I love the stress-free freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it.

The game left me in awe as to how intricate virtual worlds like this can be experienced in such stunning detail--definitely worth spending my time and energy. Its biggest disappointment is the inability to continue character development and exploration once the main quest is finished. You are forced to load an old save...
  78. Dec 24, 2010
    I was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seemI was a big fan of Fallout 3, losing countless hours in my exploration of the Capital wastes. So I was quite looking forward to the release of New Vegas, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. OK, there are quite a few bugs. This can cause major frustration at times; especially when the game decides to completely crash. Bugs aside, I really enjoyed this game. The Mojave wastes seem huge compared to the Capital wastes, with an abundance of familiar settings and a huge array of side quests. I was a little disappointed with the New Vegas Strip; I felt it could have been bigger with a lot more to see and do. A big plus is the companion wheel; this makes managing your companions much easier.

In summary, If you loved Fallout 3 then you'll love this game. I you didn't play Fallout 3 but are willing to work through this game's bugs, then I am sure that you'll learn to love it.
  79. Dec 25, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas

FNV had some big shoes to fill after Fallout 3 was such a success, but does it accomplish this? Yes and No. FNV has some interesting game play tweaks to make on the framework of F3, but a lot of them don't end up being as useful as you'd they they would be. Weapon modifications, different ammo types, cooking, and gambling; Are just a few of the many different things
    Fallout: New Vegas

Yes and No.

FNV has some interesting game play tweaks to make on the framework of F3, but a lot of them don't end up being as useful as you'd they they would be. Weapon modifications, different ammo types, cooking, and gambling; Are just a few of the many different things Obsidian adds to FNV, along with reviving some old mechanics from the original Fallout games.

Features:
    One of the first things to hit you in the face(Not just bullets)is the addition of a hardcore mode in which you'll need to feed your character, have them sleep, and what not. This is a very cool idea in theory, and if you are a player that loves flavor in games, or just wants their games to be as realistic as humanly possible then Hardcore Mode is just for you. For the rest of us there are some problems with the system that make it feel a bit incomplete. Towards beginning of the game, if you are playing Hardcore Mode, it's very hard to find liquid and cap to purchase this liquid, as merchants do run out quite often of water, and detrimental liquids are a plenty. This lead my character to steal a lot of liquid, which then made my character evil or something. At first I was reminded of being an evil character from F3 and the evil things people would say to you, or the gifts they would occasionally give me when my character was good. This is not the case in FNV, as karma plays almost no role, instead people opinions of you are replaced by their Factions feeling towards you.(We will get to factions later.) In Hardcore Mode the required resting of you character also feels like more a chore than anything else. I would find myself in the game wandering across a large open desert, no sights or sounds except the large monsters surrounding, and my character suddenly was reminded that no sleeping was bad. There is ton of ground around my character, why not just lay down and rest on the ground, why is a bed required. The Weapon Modifications in the game are interesting but any of the big fun guns don't have any worth while mods anyways. Ammunition type in FNV is required as there are many foe who simply don't take damage if you don't use Armor Piercing ammo, which again is cool is concept but fails in execution. Quests:
    Unlike F3 where you could scorn the story quests and finish dozens of other quests before anything was required, FNV has tons more story quests coming from everywhere, and each one involves factions. The factions are again a good concept but act as more of a hindrance to the game in the later levels. Some times helping one faction to advance the story makes another factions hate you to the point of killing them on sight. This is because actions towards specific factions influence their opinion of you, from happy, to non-helping, to shoot you on sight. Which makes completing some quests impossible when you accidentally screwed over a certain faction earlier, meaning you will have to give up on that quest or start the game over, as there are very few people who will even give you quests to help increase your reputation with the faction if you have killed one or two members of the faction.

Story:
    The over all story for FNV isn't as much a story as a culmination of events that you know are going to happen from the first 10 minutes of the game. This major event is going to happen regardless of what you do, and you basicly pick a side, do some prep work, and BAM the game is done.The major problem with F3 out of the box was that the last quest in the game finished it, and you couldn't continue to play after it. FNV for some god awful reason didn't fix this and did the same damn thing.

Whats good about the game you may ask? A lot. Everything that you liked from F3 is in this game, cool side quests, pop culture references, and more. They also include gambling and other fun mini games to occupy your time. FNV knew what F3 did right, and copied it almost exactly, but what they should have focused on was just fixing all the problems with F3 and then making a new story.

FNV is a good game, no, it's a great game, it just has some big let downs and to top it all off, the game is a little bit glitchy. I didn't encounter my first glitch until almost 15 hours in, but it was not just a game freeze, it froze my entire computer, after one quick restart, I was back in action. I'm now about 45 hours into the game, and I've only encountered maybe 4 game ending glitches, which really isn't that bad, just save often. The game is good enough to warrent a player look past the glitches, because the game play really is that good.

Pros:
    New Weapons, Enemies, Perks
    A much more Varied and Interesting Wasteland
    Much less stiff dialogue from NPC's
    New Game play modes and effects.

Cons:
    Unoriginal Story
    Much less open world
    Lot of new features don't pan out
    Glitches
  80. Dec 26, 2010
    Brilliant game! The qusts highly original and very rewarding. There is a true sense of adventure and exploration. The weapons are meaty and the writing is abolutely spot on. Great job, Bethesda!
  81. Dec 26, 2010
    Great game. The first time through it the differences from Fallout 3 might bug you, but you really can't go back after beating it. The guns are better, damage threshold is a better system than just DR, companions are way better, there are enemies close to as scary as deathclaws (possibly even more deadly, stupid cazadores), and there's much less of a black and white "you're either veryGreat game. The first time through it the differences from Fallout 3 might bug you, but you really can't go back after beating it. The guns are better, damage threshold is a better system than just DR, companions are way better, there are enemies close to as scary as deathclaws (possibly even more deadly, stupid cazadores), and there's much less of a black and white "you're either very good or very evil" system about it. You get fewer skills and perks, but skills were retardedly easy to max out in fallout 3 anyway and you can skip over a bunch of perks in New Vegas since VATS perks aren't mandatory anymore. Overall its a nice step forward. Expand
  82. Dec 26, 2010
    People will see this game in many different views. I still remember how ground breaking Fallout was and how disappointed i was with it's successors which slowly urbanised the vast, empty fallout world.
    I can tell you FO3 and FO:NewVegas are an improvement on the last installments I played and have to give credit to Bethesda, FO3 was great but felt like it needed to go further and i do think FO:NV hit the spot, it's expansive, beautifully designed and has the right mix of emptiness and urbanisation. It feels much more open ended that FO3 and people may compare it to other games around graphics and so on, but unless they have played the original Fallout games they will not understand what a great job Bethesda has done to bring the Fallout world back to life with more Cameos and references from previous Fallout games.
    It does have some bugs, granted, but if you play this game for 20 hrs and you feel disappointed with the experience you are given, well, your the type of person that does not have time to stop and smell the roses so to speak. Worth every penny !!
  83. Dec 26, 2010
    Old engine.. lots of bugs.. but if you are like me and loved the first two that doesnt hold this game back. Bravo. now for some more characters so this can go up. fdsasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasaasdfsadfsadfsafsdafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa
  84. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Anyone who complains about the amount of glitches in Fallout: New Vegas, or how it isn't a drastic improvement over Fallout 3, clearly never played the original two Fallout games. If they had, they'd remember how horrifically glitchy they were, how half the quests in Fallout 2 couldn't even be finished, and how there were few changes between the two games. This isn't to say the glitches in this game are "acceptable", but one should expect it in a Fallout game. Now on to the real review, ladies and gents.

As someone who grew up playing Fallout 2 (I didn't, unfortunately, play Fallout until years later, although I loved it just as much), I was thrilled when I heard Fallout 3 would come out. No, it didn't have the same quality of plot as Fallout 1 & 2, but it was a great game in its own right, and I'm proud to own it.

Then New Vegas came out. I was excited, because I heard the writers from the first two games were returning. I wasn't disapointed.

There are numerous improvements to New Vegas (as compared to Fallout 3), including better graphics (in my oppinion, anyway), more difficult game play, multiple ammo types + weapons mods, the new survival mode, a wider array of enemies, improved A.I. (I suppose you could say), more interesting followers, the follower wheel, many more quests, the factions system, an improved karma system, and a much better plot.

I can tell that the old writers are back, and I love it. The sense of humor Fallout and Fallout 2 had is back, and I didn't realize how much I'd missed it.

The plot is much deeper than Fallout 3's, with many different endings and actual SIDES TO PICK. As many of your side quests effect your ultimate ending, you feel more compelled to complete them - and doing so is much more rewarding. NPCs acknowledge your followers, and your followers do more than carry your scavenge and shoot at enemies; you can have actual conversations with them, and end up caring about what happens to them.

There are cameos from old characters, including Marcus, and refferences to the past games all about.

There is replay value, and as (with side quests) it can take you 30+ hours to beat it once, it is well worth the ticket price in entertainment.

Now, for the flaws, and yes, this game has some.

There ARE glitches, although the majority of them have been fixed now. I've twice gotten stuck in mountains, had foes fall through the floor, had the game crash about a dozen times, fallen to my death upon fast traveling, had a follower vanish and a quest has literally disappeared off my pipboy. However, I've put about 70 hours into this game, playing it twice and redoing parts due to error of my own, and the majority of these glitches happened within two days of the game being released.

Like Fallout 3, the game favors a "good guy", and it's very hard to get bad karma without going on random NCR killing sprees. Although siding with the NCR provides you with about two dozen side quests, Cesar's Legion only has about four, and they're all shorter than the NCR quests usually are. It's understandable that Mr. House and the independant paths wouldn't have side quests, but it's disapointing that Cesar's Legion has so few.

The Wild, Wild West trait doesn't do much, and should of had more uses. It isn't worth taking, which is a damned shame.

The plot, while strong, ends poorly, with a "final battle" that isn't awe-inspiring or all that difficult. Armed with the Alien Blaster, I was able to down the "big bad" before I even realized that's what he was. The game starts off slow, and until I got past Primm, I was honestly disapointed. After that, it did pick up, but there is no excuse for such a weak start, especially after a damned good introduction cutscene.

You are still limited to only two followers (one humanoid, one non), at least without mods, which bothers me greatly.

The NCR seems to be a hivemind, as if you kill an NCR member 50 miles away from the nearest camp, you STILL lose reputation with them, even if it isn't an entirely allied character, and no NCR witnesses are around.

Weapon mods are all too rare.

Your guns are taken regularly, and are not automatically put back where you had them, meaning you have to reset your quickkeys over and over again.

Third person is still useless.

Although it's a good game, Bethesda still has a ways to go before their Fallout games will be perfect.
  85. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Allright, i have played fallout 3 a lot (could imagen 300 hours) which means i know the new universe. Well i think fallout nw is a lot more difficult and theres alot more things to learn. Well i dont even fully understand the new game and the manual doesen't provide an answer (like how to use a reload bench) but it can be me who is stupid. The great stuff is that you fell like its the same univers but alot diffrent with new weapons and one new skill. I must say its entertaining but a litle more city would be nice. Well thy have introduced alot of new things bu i think they would have needed to push a bit more. Its agreat game and if you liked fallout 3 this is a MUST HAVE. I suggest that you try theinternet for some help (falllout wiki for example). Well if haven't tried fallout before it might seems a litle difficult and i would recommend to buy it but you have to take an hour or two to learn it. Well it desrves 8 because its fallout but a litle to "hard" and only a few new things. Expand
  86. Dec 4, 2011
    Fallout NV is noticeably better than fallout 3. This game is actually more like the original Fallout 2 and really true to the lore in first 2 games. I bought it recently so most bugs are already fixed and the crashes and freezes does not occur frequently. So those technical problems did not bother me. The atmosphere is pretty much the same as Fallout 3 which is not bad, and the graphicsFallout NV is noticeably better than fallout 3. This game is actually more like the original Fallout 2 and really true to the lore in first 2 games. I bought it recently so most bugs are already fixed and the crashes and freezes does not occur frequently. So those technical problems did not bother me. The atmosphere is pretty much the same as Fallout 3 which is not bad, and the graphics look prettier and more colorful. Details in the weapons are very well done and weapon mods allow more in-depth gameplay. The game's difficulties are still easy even on very hard though I have not tried hardcore mode yet. The main plot line is very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it for 60 hours. The story starts boring but eventually is built up to something great. There are a couple of factions that you can interact with during the main quest line and your decisions will alter the outcomes through the whole story. Obsidian really put their deep role playing game making experience again into fallout universe to make a worthy sequel to fallout 2 (do you think New Vegas is somehow similar to New Reno in Fallout 2? ). If you are a fan since fallout this game is a must have. if you like fallout 3, NV's overall style is the same so still a good buy. Expand
  87. Jan 17, 2011
    Fallout New Vegas is one of the best Role Play Games available for scifi fans that I have seen in a long time. Deus Ex 1 being ranked as one of the other classics I enjoy. Fallout NVs game play is that of an RPG rather than a shoot as was the case with Fallout 3. So its a little different to play. But when you figure that out and stop charging in to the wasteland guns blazing, thingsFallout New Vegas is one of the best Role Play Games available for scifi fans that I have seen in a long time. Deus Ex 1 being ranked as one of the other classics I enjoy. Fallout NVs game play is that of an RPG rather than a shoot as was the case with Fallout 3. So its a little different to play. But when you figure that out and stop charging in to the wasteland guns blazing, things settle down and become fun. Unfortunately the game has save game issues that lead to saves becoming useless sometime after level 15, usually before level 30. Turning off auto save, quick save and any other save and sticking to manual saves seem to help but after 200 hours of play, I have never made it to level 30 without my save corrupting. So good game, work buying but bugs are killing it. Expand
  88. May 17, 2011
    I liked it. Enjoyed it. Could have been much better though.

Giving it an 8 largely thanks to the modding community. Its a very good game and worth buying but has a few issues. This environment and game would lend itself well to being an open world experience and far less linear than the game really is just under the surface.
  89. Feb 5, 2011
    Excellent game. I dinged it a point because of performance issues. The entire time I was playing through it, I thought "[t]hese graphics really aren't that good, yet the game staggers pretty drastically." For example, when you get to the strip, the framerate drops dramatically. For what? Some third-tier lighting effects? Honestly, the strip doesn't even look that good. Plus, theExcellent game. I dinged it a point because of performance issues. The entire time I was playing through it, I thought "[t]hese graphics really aren't that good, yet the game staggers pretty drastically." For example, when you get to the strip, the framerate drops dramatically. For what? Some third-tier lighting effects? Honestly, the strip doesn't even look that good. Plus, the game crashes occasinally. No biggee, but it's distracting because you start obsessively saving every 2 minutes for fear of a random-crash. NOW FOR THE GOOD PARTS: The game is very long - easily the longest game I've every played. There's a lot to explore. There's a lot of weapons. There's a lot of discretion that goes into allocating skill points, etc. All in all, it's a very enjoyable experience. It's kinda lame that you can only rank up to 30, but you soon realize that there's skill books laying around everywhere that for all intents and purposes bump the actual top rank to 33. Unfortunately, however, many of these skill books enhance the "survival" skill, which unless you're playing on "hardcore" mode (which noone does), is pretty useless. Also, once you get power armor training, you're really limited in the selection of power armor to wear. There's pretty much just the BOS power armor, and when you wear it, a significant number of factions in the game auto-hate you. You may also be able to find some extra power armor laying around at the Enclave base; I never checked. That's real late into the game, anyway. So if you do manage to get power armor training early, you'll by default have to wear the infamous BOS power armor. Kiss any alegiance you have with the NCR goodbye whilst adorned in the BOS armor. ONE LAST COMPLAINT: In the beginning, the game has some pretty difficult foes to destroy. Por exemplo, you must go into this missle silo (or something) and kill a bunch of Nightkin. It's pretty tough considering you're likely a level 4, and you're strongest gun is the grenade launcher, which you don't even know how to use. As you level up, however, the game becomes unbelievably easy. What's more, you have a multiple companions who are also armed. There is simply no enemy that can't be dispatched within 10 seconds when you're at level 30 with a companion. Por exemplo, I went into this cave with a bunch of Deathclaws. One of the Deathclaws was the "Legendary Deathclaw," which is supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game. My companion, "Veronica," wiped him out with a couple of melee punches with the Ballistic Fist. Srsly, you don't even really need to fire your weapon towards the end of the game. Expand
  90. Feb 7, 2011
    Don't listen to all the people who talk trash about bugs. Yes at launch the game had serious bugs, however most of them are fixed. The game took the main ideas of Fallout 3 and ran with them. The result is one of the best RPG games of 2010. If you loved Fallout 3 go get this game. However If you want to hate just save your money.
  91. Feb 8, 2011
    New Vegas improves over the vastly inferior Fallout 3. The environment is beautiful to look at, despite being in a post-apocalyptic world. Fallout 3 you were left looking at subways and rubble of the Washington D.C. area, while in New Vegas you get to see the Mojave, a much more beautiful place. The game starts in the town of Goodsprings, where the securitron Victor, a robot with a cowboyNew Vegas improves over the vastly inferior Fallout 3. The environment is beautiful to look at, despite being in a post-apocalyptic world. Fallout 3 you were left looking at subways and rubble of the Washington D.C. area, while in New Vegas you get to see the Mojave, a much more beautiful place. The game starts in the town of Goodsprings, where the securitron Victor, a robot with a cowboy personality, digs you up in what should have been your grave. Then it's time to do the character creation and the tutorial. The best part about this is how much shorter the whole process is, and the fact that you can skip around half of it.

One of the best things Obsidian did with New Vegas (yes, Obsidian developed this game, Bethesda only published it) was what they did with the karma system. In Fallout 3, karma was a pretty big thing. Certain people will only help you if you have good or bad karma. This doesn't make sense. Fallout takes places in a post-apocalyptic world. It doesn't make sense that everything would be Black and White. Obsidian improves on this by introducing a new system - Reputation. If you help one faction, you will receive discounts in that town, or from that faction. Even helping one faction will make another faction hate you, most of the time. If you are hated by a faction, they will shoot you on site and even go as far as sending assassin's to kill you.

New Vegas is an RPG more than an FPS. The number of actual choices you have in the game is vastly improved over Fallout 3. More speech checks, using your high strength to intimidate, finishing a quest by using high Science, Medicine, and even Barter skills. The countless references to Fallout 1 and 2 really makes me think of this game as the true Fallout 3. The sheer fact you can do a non-lethal play through - going through the game without killing a single person, is very impressive.

My one complaint with the game is the main quest. The first time I played through it I was excited at all turns of the quests, pondering on who to side with, thinking of all the consequences. Then I did my second play through and found out that the main quest, despite having 4 factions to side with, is really just copy pasted. You do the same thing in the later part of the main quest, having to go to lesser factions and get them on your side. That is what prevents New Vegas from having a score of 10.

The mods are a really fun part of the game. I highly suggest you do a vanilla play through, which is using no mods. Then go back a second time and mod it to hell and back. While the mods are good and highly varied, I'm not counting them as part of the score, seeing as it is purely optional and not available to PS3/360 users.

If you want an RPG with guns, get New Vegas. If you want a shooter with RPG elements, get Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2. It's as simple as that.
  92. Apr 26, 2011
    Kick a** period.
    Ya well i'd rather play an awesome game that is so involved it had a few bugs then a mediocr game that ran great.
    People say " It more of Fallout 3" like thats a bad thing.. ya it plays closely the same but the depth of the quests / land/ NPC's you name it is all done really well. If you liked 3 your gonna love this. Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82
    Kick a** period.
    If you liked 3 your gonna love this.
    Hats off to creators I've been gaming since 82 and played the entire Fallout series and grown/changed with it and loved its progression all the way. 10/10 in my book. But5 i dont whine and moan over a few patches being needed for a monster size game that has such a massive way for each player to progress through.. you could not have possibly Beta tested this and caught it all. where i work we have a CND "cannot duplicate" code for things we had never seen and could not repeat but other people could.. big deal.. you guys support your work and make corrections what the hell else are you suppose to do. Thanks for making this KA game.
  93. Feb 9, 2011
    As a fan of the original Fallouts, I was ashamed to spend as many hours as I did with Fallout 3. The game was big and fun, but not at all deep and plain childishly written. Granted, Fallout 3 had probably the best writing and quest structure Bethesda has ever accomplished, but when second place is Oblivion first place still doesn't mean much.

New Vegas inherits both the good (exploration,

New Vegas inherits both the good (exploration, variety) and a little bit of the bad (VATS, nearly-broken character system) from Fallout 3, and gets a heaping dose of what made Fallout 1 and 2 great thanks to the folks at Obsidian. I can say with little fear of contradiction that New Vegas has some of the most subtle, sensitive, and sophisticated writing you'll ever see in a game. It's really unfortunate that so few people actually seem to care about that; I guess if you want simplistic morality and giant robots you should probably stick with Fallout 3. New Vegas's writing has a depth and warmth to it that really makes its world come alive in an incredible, multifaceted way, and serves as an interesting counterpoint to the big-but-simple maxims of Bethesda's games. Really great.
  94. Mar 1, 2011
    I will be completely honest. Without the mod community this game wouldn't be so great. I played FO3 when it got released and was amazed by the game. When I discovered all these mods that came out I was very impressed with all the work that's been done. Same with New Vegas. The game itself is very enjoyable if you can tolerate the inevitable bugs that come with most Bethesda games. TheI will be completely honest. Without the mod community this game wouldn't be so great. I played FO3 when it got released and was amazed by the game. When I discovered all these mods that came out I was very impressed with all the work that's been done. Same with New Vegas. The game itself is very enjoyable if you can tolerate the inevitable bugs that come with most Bethesda games. The various additions such as iron sights and hardcore mode are sure to please many role players out there. And the mods that the community has made for NV are more than excellent, adding immersion and additional features to the game without making it appear as a stretched-out obvious ugly modded remake of the original. You get completely used to the mods after a while, and you don't want to play the game without them. The mods are sure to cover 90% of the stuff you don't like in the unmodified game.
    Still, you can't exactly treat it as "the next fallout game" because of its similarities to the previous game. But, if the previous game was so good, I'm ok with not changing it this once.
  95. Dec 9, 2011
    There are just so many ways to customize your character and keep things fresh. Very replayable game. I'm always finding new secrets and ways to make things more convenient for each type of character. I've probably played through this game 10 times or so, and I've maxed 2 characters out. It really means something coming from someone who normally hates this type of game. After the mess thatThere are just so many ways to customize your character and keep things fresh. Very replayable game. I'm always finding new secrets and ways to make things more convenient for each type of character. I've probably played through this game 10 times or so, and I've maxed 2 characters out. It really means something coming from someone who normally hates this type of game. After the mess that was Fallout 3, Obsidian showed Bethesda how it was done. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    I absolutely loved fallout 3, and it goes without saying that New Vegas is more of the same treat. It's a different atmosphere than FO3, granted, but it's also a different city with a different set of circumstances.

I enjoyed the expanded equipment roster, the new additions to the rulesets and character creation, and the new options for immersion (such as the semi-realistic thirst and such) The only thing I can honestly say I dislike about New Vegas is the typically poor Bethesda support. The game doesn't work properly right out of the box, crashes a lot, and requires the constant tender ministrations of a devoted fanbase to make it look good and continue running... but if you can get past the technical hurdles and somehow kludge together a stable install, it's a heckuva gaming experience.
  97. Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent, immersive, compelling... This game will suck you into it in a heartbeat and won't let go until you've finished it. And even then, you will be asking for one more walk across the Mojave. Brilliant example of an experienced game design that only Obsidian and Bethesda can provide.
  98. Mar 23, 2011
    It's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupidIt's not really astonishing that New Vegas manages to outshine Fallout 3 in every way possible. F3 didn't do anything right. It was poison. New Vegas is the antidote. Quest design makes sense, factions make sense, voice acting is greatly improved, as is the writing (as a matter of fact, one could say Obsidian put the writing BACK IN) and the plot is a lot more enjoyable than the stupid crap of fighting over the only working water purifier for no other reason than "no you can't have it because you are evil I think". Expand
  99. Mar 11, 2011
    The DLC hasn't been worth it and there are some pacing issues (but that happens with most of Beth's games), but this is the best open world sandbox RPG out there. Between an amazingly active community of mod makers at nexus and a great base game it's a must play. Also, the price is starting to drop - so now's the time to give it a try.
  100. Jun 20, 2012
    This ended up being a really enjoyable game. I had my doubts when I first picked it up but I was pleased with what I found. I expected a rehash of fallout 3 but I found that the material did not feel too tired or dry. Now the game is not without faults even after this long and all the patches to fix issues people have had. I still have a weird audio issue in some sections of the game whereThis ended up being a really enjoyable game. I had my doubts when I first picked it up but I was pleased with what I found. I expected a rehash of fallout 3 but I found that the material did not feel too tired or dry. Now the game is not without faults even after this long and all the patches to fix issues people have had. I still have a weird audio issue in some sections of the game where I get feedback and have seen a few funny glitches along the way. Some of the more empty areas feel a bit wasted. I played on default difficulty and thought it was mostly a cakewalk. The real fun of the game comes from the journey, the interesting characters and character building. Each of the dlc had a different feel to it and some were better than others. For example dead money was a bit restrictive more about survival and Old world blues was funny and interesting. The character models really need some work though as they are still as ugly as hell. Don't play this expecting it to be an fps. It is more rpg than anything. Expand

1. May 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite Obsidian's fan-service, Fallout: New Vegas is a heaping pile of bugs.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout: New Vegas looks like an Add On to Fallout 3, but that should not mean, that it's a copy of its forerunner. It scores with an great atmosphere, nice story and all the typical and awesome Fallout features.