Fallout PC

8.9

1. RyanB
    Sep 19, 2009
    I've been playing this game for nearly 10+ years, but I'd never get very far until recently. This time through I finally made it to the end, or at least until the game just broke down and I couldn't progress. I gave it a 6 not just because of the bugs, but because the game was lacking in a lot of ways. Since I played it many times I've been everywhere and now, done I've been playing this game for nearly 10+ years, but I'd never get very far until recently. This time through I finally made it to the end, or at least until the game just broke down and I couldn't progress. I gave it a 6 not just because of the bugs, but because the game was lacking in a lot of ways. Since I played it many times I've been everywhere and now, done everything except for the cathedral, and I've got to say it's not even close to how great I thought it would be. I thought it would have powerful storylines actually shaped by the players events since at the beginning it gives that illusion. Sadly, as the game went on and neared the end things just went down hill. (SPOILERS) I did the whole side story of helping the Blades in the Boneyard defeat the Regulators after I was lucky enough to find the alien gun somewhere. When I finished, nothing changed. Some npcs died but no one reacted any different. In fact the only thing that really changed was the Gun Runners, after killing off the deathclaws they gave me better deals at there store. (/Spoilers) So the most interesting change the player could ever do in this game (besides progress to the "end" of the game, was to get better deals from some merchant? I expected much better from the supposed "Best RPG of all time". Now for all I know it was just bugs, since closely after that bugs just broke the game. I finished the quest with the brotherhood and gained access and then talked to the elders. (Spoilers) I scouted the military base out, then came back. And this is where the game hit rock bottom... They told me to go to the base and get inside. So I did, and to my surprise the soliders they sent with me didn't come in with me, so I had to fight an entire base of mutants by myself. So I did, and when I got to the end I killed the boss and left. But no one back at the brother hood says anything new to me, they don't say "Good job, here's your power armor" nothing. (/spoilers) So I'm left with nothing, no where to go, nothing to do. Besides some major bugs the game is still pretty mediocre. I had thought the story and player interaction in shaping the world was the best feature of the game, so I never minded the subpar combat, the linear dialogue or the failed attempt at what Deus Ex did so well, CHOICE. In Deus Ex you never have to fight, you can hack, lockpick and sneak your way to the end of levels, but Fallout forces you into every role. And if you can't fight then your screwed. If I never found the secret alien gun then I probably would not have gotten very far, since deathclaws were near impossible without it. Expand
  2. Jan 7, 2016
    I sort of finished Fallout 1 for the first time. For me it was hard game to get into, but once I put aside the interface and started just roleplaying I had a blast for 15 hours or so. It’s a game I think most people ought to play if they like roleplaying games. My play through unfortunately ended on a bad note. Prior to attacking the military installation with the aid of the brotherhood ofI sort of finished Fallout 1 for the first time. For me it was hard game to get into, but once I put aside the interface and started just roleplaying I had a blast for 15 hours or so. It’s a game I think most people ought to play if they like roleplaying games. My play through unfortunately ended on a bad note. Prior to attacking the military installation with the aid of the brotherhood of steel, my game started crashing frequently and at random. It seemed like all of my five saves had a similar issue, so I was unable to complete the game legitimately. I started cheating because I spent so much time on the game and I just wanted to see it through. I would rate the game as good but not great because it’s hardly a masterpiece with all the bugs (I even had the unofficial patches installed).

It’s most definitely a good game, and I think it still holds up even to this day. I don’t have nostalgia to go on, and I wouldn’t hesitate to say that it could be an 8 or a 9 if my game would stop crashing.
  3. Feb 17, 2014
    Despite its age, Fallout 1 is still a very enjoyable experience, slightly spoiled by a few bad design choices. The worst being the time limit to complete the main mission that discourages exploration, and a lack of a good quest system.
    Despite its excellent writing, I also found the story to be a bit cheesy, but still a lot better than Fallout 3's story.
    Overall it's a true classic,
    Overall it's a true classic, leagues better than Bethesda's Fallout, but in my opinion, not the master piece that many proclaim.
  4. Apr 29, 2016
    Beginning was really hard, I was gonna end prematurely or simply try to walkthrough as fast as I can. I was surprised... by the game itself. Longer in game, more you wanna play. Storytelling is exclusively interesting, music dark and disturbing. You feel surrounded by crime and alone simultaneously. There are ragged moments and mechanics that was (or not) improved in continuation but as aBeginning was really hard, I was gonna end prematurely or simply try to walkthrough as fast as I can. I was surprised... by the game itself. Longer in game, more you wanna play. Storytelling is exclusively interesting, music dark and disturbing. You feel surrounded by crime and alone simultaneously. There are ragged moments and mechanics that was (or not) improved in continuation but as a whole (bearing in mind realising year) it's very satisfying game. Expand

1. The mood is right, the graphics good, and the plot compelling. I found the tactical combat system refreshingly intelligent, and the multitude of ways you can approach the game from a stats point of make a wide variety of styles possible in the game.
  2. PC Gamer
    This sequel to an all-time classic is one of the standout RPGs for the 1990s. [Jan 1998, p.221]
  3. Fallout's detailed graphics, compelling plot, and intuitive gameplay should deservedly broaden its appeal beyond the hard-core role-playing game audience. Put simply, Fallout may be the best role-playing game to be released in years.