5.7

1. Aug 6, 2012
    3+/5 (Kinda good) Looks good, feels good, vehicles, guns, open world, violence, stealth, diseases, etc. But the problem for me was that you cleaned up an area and came back 30 seconds later to find it completly alive with as much fighters as before. This is a massive "NO WAY THIS IS SOOOO STUPID" problem that makes you want to stop playing the game right there. Everything looks realistic and feels like it, but then BAM, you remember this is a game and it's kinda stupid. ALSO, why did they feel like it was a good idea to make me feel guilty for not searching for every goddamn briefcase when I passed by them. This "task" is not rewarding and you really do feel like you can't NOT do it. (yes, double-negative BECAUSE I CAN).

Try the game, but don't expect a flawless experience.
  2. Apr 27, 2013
    Far Cry 2 does not deserve a 5.6. It deserves an 8.7 IMO, because this game is amazing and was way ahead of its time. The fire spreads, which means that if you need to retreat, use molotovs, flame throwers, or the flare gun and create a fire boundary to keep your enemies at bay. Also, enemies are extremely realistic. If you surprise them they jump back, if they're on the ground they moan and scream, if they need help they call their friend's names. The driving is just what it should be. Vehicles steer nicely and are easy to drive. The vehicles are what a poor African country would have (old cars, buggies with a place for gunners, heavy assault trucks, ammo trucks, ATV's, and rare jeeps). The towns may not be what you expect; they have no civilians and look extremely poor. The missions are good and the game really creates a sense of "you're in it for the money, nothing else." This is a great game, and I hope you get it! Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    This version is a lot better than the 360 version modding made sure i didnt have to travel everywhere for pointless missions the graphics are very good on my rig the gameplay is very well done and i can mod out the annoyning things like malaria and gun jamming so the PC version is better because i can mod out all the annoyning elements
  4. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS!! GAME IS CRAP!!

dont even get me started with the mp that will be later, i bought the game for the sp and it was bad. i played ti for a few years on the console and it was terrible, bad controls too. but anyways what ruined the game fr me was it was forced on the player to be frustrating and unforgiving. like how cars go 40 mph max speed yet when an enemy chases you they can instantly catch yp to you from 200 feet away.

Or how the cars in the game break down CONSTANTLY, travling is a joke becuase i have to stop what im doing to clear an annoying checkpoint and ti will respawn when i go 500 feet away as the respawing is distance related) becuase the cars arnt reliable enough or fast enough that i can just travel through them. and then you can have your vehicle disabled becuase the enemies shot your body of the truck, not nessacirly the engine to be damaged. the game is repetitve and forces combat when i dont want to and thats why its hard to play. it has nothing to do with skill or tactics.

it would have been an 9/10 game if 1, vehicles didnt slow down to 5mph when someone shoots a few bullets in ANYWHERE on your car, and then chases you and instantly catches up when your 100 feet away somehow. they made the ai always catch yp, and they're terrible drivers anyways, they always crash intro trees and bridge walls when there pursuing. and the checkpoints shouldnt respawn when you go 5 mnutes away (really annoying when i killed a patrol car and it respawns while im driving its vehcile i stole from it in the first place.

really the game needed some sort of companion like fallout. i should be able to have a buddy (when my history is high enough) to travel with me and they can man guns and make the game a whole lot smoother. the rep system should also decrease the chance of getting chaced too, but everything was so poorly implemented in this game thats why i no longer play it, fallout is a much more advanced open world game and its much better. this game is just a poorly developed (but shockiling buietifull game) .

i tried to like it but let me tell you abut the MP

ITS AWEFULL, no weapon balence either, today i lit a guy on fire and was circle flanking him for a good 3 seconds of pure incinerary combat, and somehow he lived but died later though. and he didnt have the "shield" of invulnerability on him either. yes you are INVINCIPAL for 5 seconds or so whenyou spawn, which ruined an earlier match when i was capturing the last control point in uprising when i unloaded on him with ar15, but he had a "shield on so he killed me, and they advanced and took all the points, so i retreated when i got an mp5 and unloaded a whole clip in one guy in my base, a whole clip yes and he killed me with a few ar 15 rounds.

the mp was the same on the console, since its so trashy they could have focysed n better sp and a better developed mechanics.

sorry for typing my hands are stiff
  5. Aug 4, 2013
    Grafika je spasila stvar od totalnog potopa...
    Dosadan prijevoz do misije, te konstantan nailazak na barikade neprijatelja što stvara nevjerovatnu irtitaciju.
    Još vrijedi pomenuti raznovrsna oružja...
  6. Oct 2, 2013
    One of the best games ever made, Far Cry 2 made the best free-world I have ever seen, with one of the history's of video game history, and the best graphics at the time which are still good today.
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    A misunderstood game. People bash it for being repetitive, when it's really no more repetitive than the player.
    The progress you get for doing missions are diamonds, which means new equipment, which means new ways to approach and deal with what Africa throws at you. It gives you plenty of toys, but it seems the average player sticks with the full-auto approach the whole way through.

The AI is not dumb, the game just isn't holding your hand with visual/audible pointers of how close you are to being spotted.
    They can get suspicious, team up to search the area they saw something in, or they'll deem it safe enough to check out alone.
    They'll carry their wounded, hear a body dropping to the ground if it's close enough, they'll attack the last position they saw you in, they'll lose track of you.
    Is it night? They'll have a harder time seeing you.
    Is it windy and/or raining? They'll have a harder time seeing you.
    Is it broad daylight? Take big detours and watch out for snipers if you want to stay hidden.
    That's a heck of a lot more intelligence than the average FPS.
    They also feel human compared to other shooters, they'll shoot the breeze with each other when undisturbed, communicate with each other under combat, pep-talk, become terrified as they realize they're on their own with a guy who just killed everyone they worked with.

The game has flaws, such as enemies re-spawning when you get a certain distance away from a checkpoint (really though Far Cry 3's system meant there was nothing to do in an area ever again after clearing them). The lack of any friendly AI, and overly aggressive drivers that will not stop chasing you. The weapon degradation system is incomplete, with the only way to avoid it is to grab a new gun often. The malaria attacks doesn't really add anything but an annoyance. The buddy rescue system is a genius second-chance mechanic that won't abruptly end your story, but other than that the buddies are shallow and without use.

Immerse yourself in a game that 'll never take you out of your character's view, you'll reach out to grab stuff, you'll snap fingers back into place, pull shrapnel and bullets out of your arm. Watch your character pull and bang on his weapon when they jam. Even the shop shows you pull out the chair and sit down in front of an old monochrome monitor.
    Plan ahead with your equipment, scout the locations to look for opportunities, and watch the game react to your actions. There's nothing like starting a fire at a safe distance, and hear the AI panic, only to later have a rocket stash ignite and send rockets everywhere.
    The missions are simple because it's up to you to make it interesting with the mechanics the game provides. The world is a box of fireworks waiting to go off one by one. Don't put on blinders and look straight at the mission objective, the mission is also to get there. The journey is part of the mission, part of your story.

Overall, if you're the kind of person who likes to put some thought and creativity into his shooting, hates being led by the nose in his FPS, a game you can play over and over without it ever being the same, there's no game that will reward you more than Far Cry 2. And it remains my all-time top 5 single-player game.
  8. Feb 2, 2014
    Most overrated FPS ever, makes COD franchise look good. FC1 was great, FC3 was good, FC2 simply falls flat on its face.
    It has Great graphics, the African landscape was great but devoid of any fauna(bye bye realism) The shooting mechanic is mediocre but the stupid AI completely ruined it all. As for the Open World, here is a piece of advice to developers. Open World games are fun only
    when it is fun to explore. The map is horrendous, the vehicles are crap and break down with 3 shots (fck authenticity) with arcade like physics(maybe to please casual gamers) and the first person driving is horrendous with your dashboard and your FAIL-ATTEMPT-TO-BE-UNIQUE map taking up 75% of your view. And those irritating checkpoints...made doing side quest a hell.
    Here is a scenerio. You travel to one edge of the map for a quest, to reach there you have to kill all the baddies in the checkpoints again, like 3-4 of them..around 10 mins travel time. Quest tells you to go to a place which takes 20 mins to reach, and again go through those checkposts killing all those respawned enemies. If you spend 20 hrs on this game, 15 hrs will be spent traveling and re-killing everything you killed few moments ago.
    And plz lets not go into the "malaria" system. ughhh..
    I uninstalled it after 5 hours of play, just to get my money's worth(in vain) cuz it was simply unplayable..
  9. Dec 8, 2013
    This is a really fun, really good game. Let's the the AI out of the way first. It's very impressive, the way they react to your every move. If you stumble upon a small outpost of like 5-7 enemies, they might not give chase if you take off right away, but if you charge into a stronghold like outpost, with something like 20 guys, they'll hop into cars and chase you until they kill you, or you manage to shake them off. The graphics for this game are pretty, and I'm never disappointed with the graphics, I'm just not always in awe, which is okay. The NPC "buddies" system is really cool. If you save a guy from a outpost, in free roam or mission, he will them become your 'buddy". This is cool already, but get this: One time I was running on foot, with little health and no syringes. Suddenly I get brought down from a accurate enemy shot, and then I think i'm dead. After a short black screen, the game comes back to one of my NPC buddies helping me up, and handing me a weapon. Then me and him get into an epic firefight against the remaining 8 enemies. We actually won, but the realistic manner in which the enemy attacked was marvelous. I was amazed how a few of them left to run through the foliage to get a better shooting position on our exposed flanks, while the percentage of the enemies stayed and continued to engage us head-on. My NPC buddy was also very helpful in combat, and he actually killed a couple more guys than I did. The whole firefight lasted something like 10 mins, and to this day was one of the most epic non-scripted video game firefights I've been in. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2013
    With an emphasis on realism and dirty, African politics rather than sex and drugs, I feel that this game's setting makes it superior to Far Cry 3. However, it is not without its faults. A bad fast travel system and horribly long and boring distances make a car essential, and even then, you still travel through the same guard-infested checkpoints hundreds of times. Stealth and tactics are a must, as you are constantly outnumbered and cannot simply run and gun your way through missions. Far Cry 2: Fun gameplay lightly sprinkled amongst long portions of tedious travelling. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    Far Cry 2 is just wow, The graphics for the year 2008 are absolutely excellent for this time. You can actually see your hands when the door opens and in a lot of games of this time, that doesn't happen. It has a great storyline as well. The weapons are all amazing but the problem is the enemy weapons jam which is understandable because those are in poor conditions and sometimes even the weapons that you buy jam. That is my only negative of Far Cry 2. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2014
    очень скучная. Очень. ужасно скучная. Невероятно. Но за графику и за огонь она от меня зарабатывает 2. А в остальном... Даже писать не хочется. Сюжета нормального нету, игра практически линейная.
  13. Jan 30, 2014
    The best Open World shooter made by Ubisoft. Is more open world than Far Cry 3. Then really knows "Open world design". If you didn't play this game, play it. And if you play Far Cry 3 and you don't like it for an unknown reason play this game and you will find out the reason.
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    Far Cry 2. This may upset some people, but I did not like Far Cry 1 all that much. It was okay, however, after I played the game Crysis, I felt like the original was nothing more than a tech demo version of that. This is not surprising as they were both made by the exact same developer. As for the sequel, it is actually more of a brand new game than a real sequel. It is this way because it has a completely different setting, and has nothing to do with the events of Far Cry 1. This should go without saying that you do not need to play Far Cry 1 before you play Far Cry 2. So does this open world shooter bring more wows than its predecessor, or was the new setting crappy and dull enough to make this game suck? Let's find out. This game's gameplay is absolutely spectacular. It is a truly open world first person shooter with few enclosed environments, and very few loading screens. As stated, this game is open world. You get to do what you want, and not even care about the story of this game. The open world is done very well. There are many missions you can undertake outside of the main story, and there are many more things to do. The first person shooter elements are handled quite well too. This game plays like your average first person shooter, using WASD to move, and the mouse to fire and all that stuff. One element in this game that is very unique to the gameplay (aside from combining the open world and shooter genres), is how realistic it all is. This game is literally the most realistic game I have ever played. This adds several good elements to the game, but it also adds a few bad ones. Healing is a good one. Along with this, being a character struck with malaria also adds a nice twist to make the game a little bit harder than your average shooter. However, one bad thing about this element of realism is that weapons have a tendency to jam. The more you use your weapon, the dirtier it gets, and the more likely it is to jam. When a weapon jams, you have a few precious seconds to unjam it before it explodes in your face and you have to replace it. Another problem with this game is how redundant it is. It is not Call of Duty levels redundant, however, it is redundant enough to get annoying. For example, there is so much back tracking to do in just about all of this game's missions, and this usually leads you to encounters at enemy bases you have already cleared. Redundancy and realism aside, the gameplay is still really good. As for the graphics, this game handles them well too. The graphics in this game are absolutely stunning. They are among the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game. All the textures in this game are very beautiful, and very detailed. The characters look good enough, but the setting is the most beautiful part. As a matter of fact, the setting is so well designed, that it may as well be the best part of the entire game. It is set in Africa, and it shows, through its amazing savannah, and its beautiful jungles. Even the cities and villages in this game look beautiful. The graphics in this game are so beautiful it's crazy. As for the story, it falls under the pretty good, but not great category. Basically, you are a mercenary sent to kill an arms dealer named the Jackal who has armed both sides of a conflict in an unknown African nation. The premise alone is very good, however, the character development in this game is pretty bad. None of the characters are well developed, and you never learn anything about them. The setting of this game somewhat makes up for this, however, there is one problem with it that I just can't get over: not enough African wildlife. There are only a few zebras and wildebeests here and there, and not much else. The story of this game is pretty good overall, but not as good as it could be. Overall, I'd say that this game is quite good. It is not the best game ever made or anything, however, it is still very good, and worth playing through. I recommend this game to anyone who just wants to play a shooter set in Africa. This game would suit them perfectly
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Story: 7/10
    Overall: 8/10
  15. Feb 25, 2014
    I think average score 5.7 to this date is still quite high for this game. Almost non existing story, very limited options what to do, along with some most unrealistic elements (the most crappy cars have gps, you always repair any car and tons of more) this game is one of the most boring 3rd person action on the market. The gameplay is so repetitive, that it gets boring even during the tutorial itself. There is very little to prise about Far cry 2 other than graphics. Expand
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    What ruins the very good atmosphere of this game for me is just that all you do is shoot people, then drive to another place on the other side of the map, get attacked by some outpost people only to shoot more people at the place you were headed! I DON'T CARE ABOUT GOOD GRAFICS IF THE GAMEPLAY IS JUST ANNOYING! I have no idea if the story is good, I didn't want to play it for long.
  17. Apr 12, 2014
    Far Cry 2 is honestly, not for everyone, due to its enormous flaws. For example, the side missions are repetitive and it can take you a lotta time until you drive or run to the places you need to go, plus the story and endings are disappointing and boring. But, between all the mist, there's some hope. First, the graphics are great. How about glide to the top of a rocky mountain as you watch the sun set with the graphics pumped up at "Ultra High"? Plus, the Dunia engine is great, and it contributes a lot to the gameplay. For example, do you notice that the wind is blowing in the direction of your enemies? Start a fire and it will spread and burn your enemies. Or you can shoot an ammo box and hope that one of the random shooting bullets will hit your enemies. Or you can blow up the building they're in.

Basically, don't count on an intriguing story or in depth characters. But heck, the gameplay's a blast! And it makes it worthy of playing!

1. Combat is thrilling – each weapon packing a solid, vicious blast; movement suggesting heft and momentum. [Dec 2008, p.80]
  2. By adopting a laissez faire attitude to player discretion, Ubisoft has crafted a brilliant follow-up.
    More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.