5.7

1. Mar 26, 2011
    I truly am mixed on the case of Far Cry 2. On one hand, it introduces a lot of game mechanics, all of which work and aren't pointless. This include the buddy system, gun jamming, sectored health regeneration, sickness, safe houses etc. The gun play is good, and the AI is better than most. On the other hand, driving through the jungle and stopping to deal with another guard post getsI truly am mixed on the case of Far Cry 2. On one hand, it introduces a lot of game mechanics, all of which work and aren't pointless. This include the buddy system, gun jamming, sectored health regeneration, sickness, safe houses etc. The gun play is good, and the AI is better than most. On the other hand, driving through the jungle and stopping to deal with another guard post gets repetitive. The missions and stories are presented in confusing ways, and don't make much sense. I kept doing missions for opposing factions, and they didn't seem to care. At one point a buddy offered me a way to complete a mission that was exactly what my quest giver told me not to do. Doing it my buddy's way imposed no penalty. To this day there is a game breaking glitch at the 27% mark, one of which I got. A main mission giver simply never appears, so I stopped playing. The game has an amazing atmosphere and game play with competent mechanics that make sense, but it is bogged down by bad development choices and repetitiveness. Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    The best way to describe this game is as a big missed opportunity that could've been amazing but only turned out "okay". The exploration of the big open world mixed with good FPS mechanics is fun for a while but about 40% through the game you unlock a second "world" and realize you're going to do the same things once again through the next 60% in an annoying similar location. Other thanThe best way to describe this game is as a big missed opportunity that could've been amazing but only turned out "okay". The exploration of the big open world mixed with good FPS mechanics is fun for a while but about 40% through the game you unlock a second "world" and realize you're going to do the same things once again through the next 60% in an annoying similar location. Other than repetitiveness, the next big issue for me is the enemies instantly respawning when you're out of view. It's annoying to drive by, clear out an outpost, come back by the same outpost a few minutes after completing the objective and having to clear it out again.

The game does do things right however to warrant a purchase for $25 at the most. For one, the gunplay and shooting mechanics are top notch and killing is very satisfying. Second, there are loads of guns from shotguns to sniper rifles to crossbows with exploding arrows. It makes the game feel less repetitive and more fun to mix up your approach to combat whether it be a stealthy sniper or a rambo style where you charge in a base guns ablaze. I say give it a buy if you can find it for around $25 or less because unless you REALLY love the game's combat and can stand doing the same thing over and over, you probably won't be finishing the singleplayer.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    A beautiful savanna, but something is missing .
    A beautiful savanna, but something is missing .
    Even a few years after it release, I still use this game as a graphic benchmark. The savanna, the trees, the fire and the physics are great. To bad the did not spend a little bit more money on some good righter s . The story and voice acting's are not engaging enough to bother caring. It boils down to, drive to one side of the map, shout any one on site, then move on...
    There are some innovative game-play mechanics, like guns that will jam in the middle of a firefight or burning environments.
    This game had a lot of potential , unfortunately not enough effort was put into the little things like story and characters. also, were are all the civilians?
  4. Jun 2, 2011
    I bought this game on steam for $5 on a sale, after reading the reviews and hearing about the game I thought wow this is a steal this game looks/seems great! I read the negative and positive reviews but shrugged off the negative because EVERY game has some bad reviews right? Well upon starting the game I was blown away! It was awesome, some specifics (spoiler) like fixing cars, jumpingI bought this game on steam for $5 on a sale, after reading the reviews and hearing about the game I thought wow this is a steal this game looks/seems great! I read the negative and positive reviews but shrugged off the negative because EVERY game has some bad reviews right? Well upon starting the game I was blown away! It was awesome, some specifics (spoiler) like fixing cars, jumping into the gunner seat of a car, and seeing a gun shop with unlock able weapons??? Sounds like a win to me! So I played the game, decided to do some weapon unlocks first as I wanted some bad ass stuff. So I did it, go to this point and destroy the convoy, check! went back and got my just reward. Went to another weapon dealer and took his quest to unlock different weapons.... go to this point and destroy the convoy... ok the guns are enticing enough to do it so I did. Did a main mish quest to try to liven up the game, go here and INSERT ONE(destroy, capture, free from captivity) this objective and get paid. So I did it and the first few were fun but then they ask you to do THE SAME THING, OVER AND OVER. Different places, different "objectives", you do the same thing. Ok so to sum up the rant: The main quests are very redundant, the gun quests (only way to unlock guns) are all EXACTLY THE SAME THING, not even a different story. Basically every single quest you take from any source anywhere in this game goes like this: take quest, drive 10 mins stopping every 2 or 3 mins to wipe out a "guard post" complete mish. Take next mish. That system right there is problem number 1. Number 2 is another HUGE gameplay problem, as seen in some of the other negative posts (RichardH goes into more detail) The guards at a guard post are INFINITE. You kill them, drive away and instantly there are the same number back! Its not even fun to kill them its just **** annoying, seriously! So OK its not bad enough that I have to drive across the stupid map to do a mish that would be just as "fulfilling" if it was half the distance but I have to stop to clear out the same guard posts on the same road I came down 5 mins ago! And ANOTHER thing, there is no fast travel, you can take a bus that takes you to 1 of 4 places on the outskirts of a map but you have to board the bus at one of those 4 stops so it doesn't help at all. And EVERY, AND I MEAN EVERY mission is on the opposite end of the map. Another thing I was dissapointed in this game was there is nothing to be done to the guns once you get them. There are A FEW guns that have things like a silencer, but you cant choose what you want to put on what or anything its all pre-done and you have 0 options, idk about you but I like options. Now small problems that are VERY frustrating: when you try to revive a friend you have to feel him up first and it takes a solid 10 seconds to revive someone when ultimately you do nothing more than stick him with a needle, seriously if your in the middle of a fight you cant revive anyone because you get shot up. It should take a second or two at most. Also on the same subject when someone comes to revive you, say you accidentally kill yourself (I did it jumping off a bridge into what I thought was deep water to get a chest) the team mate still has the same animation as doing it under fire and it takes FOREVER. Long story short, Im sorry guys as much promise as this game has I couldn't recommend it to anyone, Im not even happy with it for the $5 i wasted on it. Its too redundant, too fake (infinite enemy etc), too slow, and frankly boring. Idk how this game is a sequel if the first one is anything like this im not sure how they grossed enough to make this. The only reason it gets a 3 is because of the unique things it brings to the table (however annoying then get within the hour). Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2012
    Far Cry 2 is a very mixed bag. On the one hand, the game gives you a stunningly re-created African locale to roam around in and cause general havoc. There's lots of weapons to play with and the missions are open enough that you can approach them anyway you want. Now, on the other hand, the game features some simply bizarre design choices. For instance, the majority of the game is spentFar Cry 2 is a very mixed bag. On the one hand, the game gives you a stunningly re-created African locale to roam around in and cause general havoc. There's lots of weapons to play with and the missions are open enough that you can approach them anyway you want. Now, on the other hand, the game features some simply bizarre design choices. For instance, the majority of the game is spent driving around from one objective to the other. Even if you're the most patient person in the world, the amount of driving is going to really grind on you eventually. Furthermore, the enemy variety in the game is basically non-existent, you're going to face the same AK toting enemies over and over for the entire play-through. Also, the enemies themselves possess amazing accuracy and self-awareness, to the point that simply breathing in their direction means that every one of them in the nearby radius will instantly know your position.

Far Cry isn't a bad game, it's quite fun in short stints. But it's just let down by the aforementioned AI problems and broken stealth game-play. With a bit of polish,developed story, improved fast travel system and some more variety in missions, it could have been great fun. As it stands, it's just "fun".
  6. Jul 8, 2011
    Good gameplay with disappointing story content. Yes, thatâ
  7. May 12, 2013
    Far cry is a series of games where each game has almost nothing to do with any of the others in the series.

The original game was a highly linear FPS with an odd cheesy storyline that was basically a very weird version of Half-Life with absolutely terrible AI. Far Cry 2 takes place in a random "African" nation where you go around trying to find malaria pills and try to get to the

Far Cry 2 takes place in a random "African" nation where you go around trying to find malaria pills and try to get to the bottom of some conspiracy or another.

In place of the linear nature of Far Cry 1, FC2 throws you into a large world where you basically have free reign to go wherever you want, which is a welcome change.

Positives: Visually great, the graphics are nice.
    Nice open world to explore.
    gunplay is pretty fun.

Negatives: Guns have condition, and they have the reliability of an original M16 rifle in the deep jungle, usually, you can only put through a couple hundred rounds before most guns are basically completely useless.
    Respawning enemies, they respawn every couple minutes, meaning you MUST fight whenever you want to go anywhere at all.
    Mostly pointless story.
    90% of the guns you have are left-handed

In general, its a "meh" game that will keep you entertained for a while, though its not nearly as satisfying to play compared to the 3rd game in the series.
  8. Sep 26, 2011
    First: Don't be misled by the title, this game has absolutely nothing to do with the previous games. Anyway. While the graphics of Far Cry 2 are good for a 2008 game, the game itself is not. The main story, you killing "The Jackal", is driven by about 14 missions. It takes about 2 - 3 minutes to finish the main part of each mission (meaning: killing everybody in a compound and/orFirst: Don't be misled by the title, this game has absolutely nothing to do with the previous games. Anyway. While the graphics of Far Cry 2 are good for a 2008 game, the game itself is not. The main story, you killing "The Jackal", is driven by about 14 missions. It takes about 2 - 3 minutes to finish the main part of each mission (meaning: killing everybody in a compound and/or destroying some item)...but each mission is accompanied by driving sequences that take about 5 minutes each. (Driving to the mission objective and driving back to the faction houses) That means you're mostly just driving around being attacked all the time by some guys of each faction. (I finished the game on normal difficulty on my first playthrough in about 4 and a half hours.) It's just repetitive and boring...also, every camp you clear is full of the same people again two minutes later. So don't bother.

Stay away from this game if you can. :)
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    While this game is excellent on a number of fronts, it is unnecessarily unpleasant on others. The malaria, as a gimmick, just doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game and as a game mechanic, it's nothing more than a flimsy excuse for chasing down power-ups. The most unpleasant thing is that it turns everything into a timed quest. Timed quests are ok, if used sparingly and where a timeWhile this game is excellent on a number of fronts, it is unnecessarily unpleasant on others. The malaria, as a gimmick, just doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game and as a game mechanic, it's nothing more than a flimsy excuse for chasing down power-ups. The most unpleasant thing is that it turns everything into a timed quest. Timed quests are ok, if used sparingly and where a time element makes sense, but the constant stress of time running out for something completely irrelevant to your goals is a poor substitute for properly orchestrated suspense. But worst of all, it scuttles the one thing that makes this game stand out for the crowd: the joy of free exploration. You just can't enjoy that with this idiotic gimmick hanging over your head. A patch that does away with the ball and chain of malaria would turn this game from a frustrating curiosity to a memorable classic. Another unpleasant element is the way vehicles are driven. It's just not fun. It's clunky, erratic, and distracting. If it weren't for the vast distances you have to travel in this game, I'd prefer to run. Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2012
    The gunplay is golden, the graphics are amazing, the story and dialogue are horrible, the respawn times...infuriating. I still play this game once in a while because the combat is so well done and satisfying that i can't seem to get enough of it. Unfortunately i have a hard time completeing the game since i have to pass by the same respawning guards time and time again. Both "factions"The gunplay is golden, the graphics are amazing, the story and dialogue are horrible, the respawn times...infuriating. I still play this game once in a while because the combat is so well done and satisfying that i can't seem to get enough of it. Unfortunately i have a hard time completeing the game since i have to pass by the same respawning guards time and time again. Both "factions" look the same and there is basically no distinction at all between them. It's a very well done game, but a few key flaws prevent it from being a gem. Expand
  11. Nov 17, 2011
    Far Cry 2 problem is missions that repeat it selves and map that it more like labyrinth than actually free map. Stealth system is very bad or there isn't it at all. Plot is pretty vague. Lastly even though Jack Carver was not very memorable, dozen mute characters aren't even that.
  12. Oct 18, 2014
    The plot is as thin as they come. The characters are poorly fleshed out, and the voice acting is atrocious. Far Cry 2 has very little redeemable qualities in its campaign.
    What Far Cry does well is a very large interesting world, that creates a good atmosphere and really let's you explore away.
    However the AI is rather weak, and there are so many glitches I had to quit the game twice for a while. One mission I spent 2 hours trying to get through a door which wouldn't open, and another I was supposed to talk to someone that wasn't there.
    My original plan was to stealth the game. Travel at night, silenced weapons and scouting camp sites. But it is a while before you get all silenced weapons, and the camo suit, and once you do have it, the dodgy AI makes stealthing too awkward to do.

The Buddy System was a cool idea, only let down by the AI and the character use limitations. The game is extremely repetitive, and any choices you are given seem meaningless.

The best Far Cry experience I've had is Instincts, which has a far more interesting story and much more exciting stealth elements.
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in theLet's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  14. Apr 6, 2012
    First few hours are a great fun. Vast world that you can do almost anything you want to do it with possibilities of many story lines. Good graphics too. But after 2 hours I realized that the game was extremely repetitive, enemies re-spawned very quickly. 3 hours later, it was one of the most tedious games I played.
  15. Apr 5, 2012
    The game is boring. The story line is a flimsy excuse for putting you in africa and the "twist" the developers try to incorporate into the game was worse than an Shyamalan movie twist. The mechanics are solid, in that, there are very few mechanics. To name all of them: Weapon degredation, brush fires, vehicles that can explode, AIs that will save your butt when you are about to die. AThe game is boring. The story line is a flimsy excuse for putting you in africa and the "twist" the developers try to incorporate into the game was worse than an Shyamalan movie twist. The mechanics are solid, in that, there are very few mechanics. To name all of them: Weapon degredation, brush fires, vehicles that can explode, AIs that will save your butt when you are about to die. A long list, I know. The game's graphics are very good. That's where the happy fun time ends. The game has about 6 different mission types. All of them basically include killing everyone, searching for diamonds, and getting diamonds for killing everyone. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's very much based on grinding and half of your game is taken traveling to the place to kill people. Every once in a while, you'll need something to keep yourself alive so you have to take a break from killing people, then it's back into the same old killing spree. I wouldn't really recommend this game unless you are incredibly bored and you need to kill a lot of easy to kill somethings. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2012
    One of the best mediocre games I have played. It had great potential, but failed to deliver. Feels like a console port with mouse acceleration and dumbed down mechanics. The story and missions fail to interest. Too many frustrating moments. I had occasional CTDs. Good AI though and the swaying grass is beautiful. Ok if you can get it for £5. Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism:One of the best mediocre games I have played. It had great potential, but failed to deliver. Feels like a console port with mouse acceleration and dumbed down mechanics. The story and missions fail to interest. Too many frustrating moments. I had occasional CTDs. Good AI though and the swaying grass is beautiful. Ok if you can get it for £5. Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 2/5, Story: 1/5, Graphics: 4/5, Sound: 4/5, Balance/Stability: 1/5, AI: 4/5, Campaign Length: 5/5, Controls: 2/5. Expand
  17. Oct 8, 2014
    First off, I'm not reviewing this as a sequel to Far Cry. It's made by different people with a different aim, so there really isn't much point comparing them.

The game is a First person shooter set in an African environment, where you must work to bring down an arms dealer who is supplying arms to sides in local conflicts, causing death and misery, Boo! You play a mercenary who will bring down this criminal, by going to the conflict zone and shooting dead hundreds upon hundreds of people with arms he buys with blood diamonds. Yay you! Anyway, how does it look? Ok. Nothing really spectacular or worth mentioning, it is there, it functions but is tends to get rather bland with the colours sometimes, but I won't hold it against it. So graphics get a good mark from me, except for the fire which looks very 2D.

Now, the gameplay itself. Let's start with the combat, as it is a shooter after all. All the weapons feel and look good for the most part. Some seem similar, but most manage to feel like different guns. Shame that there is a God awful degradation system in effect. Most weapons you get from enemies seem to have seen better centuries and will jam constantly or just outright explode. Never when the enemy has them, it only happens to you. You need to buy new weapons from arms dealers (these ones are nice weapon sellers apparently) to actually get one that works like it's supposed to. So the weapon degradation is annoying and poorly but stops short at being game ruining.

What doesn't stop short however, is the AI. It is so rubbish. Enemies aren't good at taking cover, or more often than not just randomly walk in the open towards you. They can't shoot straight, can't think of approaching you from any angle apart from the direct one, and just in general are rubbish. This makes all the action scenes seem rather pointless and undermining. I'm supposed to be fearing for my life in fire fights, not just sitting near a rock shooting people as they trundle towards me or act like jack-in-the-boxes. When your shooter actually fails at the combat section, it isn't a good sign.

To get around the map you have access to some trusty cars. Well, I say trusty, they tend to break down a lot, which is fixed by a few seconds of twiddling in the engine, which isn't making me feel like I'm fixing it or I have to take care of it, it's just a hassle that no one would notice if it wasn't there.

The actual gameplay itself is really bad. Get mission from some person, drive there, kill people, come back and get paid in diamonds (Good thing you are here to help stop this guy who is causing all this conflict!) Getting to your location, normally miles away, involves driving through camps filled with constantly respawning enemies. Once you cleared everyone from the camp you can literally just walk about a hundred meters away and then everyone there has respawned. If it was a sandbox you could just go round them, but no, the natural corridors force you through them, again, and again, and again.
    Every time you want to go somewhere you have to have yet another pointless and repetitive (and boring) fight. There are no friendly forces who can take over the place even, Despite working for one of the sides in this war they tell you that "Our boys won't recognise you", which should be read as "We didn't want to program a reputation system in". This is one of the games worst offenders, the totally painful firefights it forces you into again and again against the mediocre AI.

Another big weakness is the voice acting. I will say without doubt that it is the worst voice acting I have ever heard in a game. I'm including games like Deep Fear in that. This game is worse. At least in others they try. This game the voice actors sound like they have been dragged from some office, sedated, lobotomised and then told that if they show any emotion or, indeed, talent, they will be killed. I have yet to hear a line spoken as if it was a human doing it. Microsoft Sam is a better voice talent than these people.

So in the end, we have a open world shooter that isn't open world and isn't a very good shooter. For a game with a good budget behind it which promised lots it has delivered us a repetitive and poorly done shooter that fails at being good at shooting
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    Far Cry 2 followed in the steps of its predecessor by failing to live up to its potential. This game has a lot of good points: the graphics and audio are excellent, the weapon selection and mechanics are great, and it has superb open-world design. However these elements are tarnished by some lousy mechanics such as repetitive missions, endlessly-respawning checkpoints, and a pointlessFar Cry 2 followed in the steps of its predecessor by failing to live up to its potential. This game has a lot of good points: the graphics and audio are excellent, the weapon selection and mechanics are great, and it has superb open-world design. However these elements are tarnished by some lousy mechanics such as repetitive missions, endlessly-respawning checkpoints, and a pointless faction system. I did like the buddy system, where your mercenary friends will occasionally give you intel on missions or rescue you if you get shot up in a firefight. I had mixed feelings about the story and characters (well there's only one or two 'characters' that deserve that title): the premise of the story and the elusive nature of your target is intriguing, and the monologues of the antagonist are compelling, but the game fails to deliver a coherent plot or ending. With a few changes to mechanics and a good writing team this game could have easily earned a 7 or 8, but as it stands Far Cry 2 falls far short. Expand
  19. Nov 26, 2014
    This was a pretty good game that tried a whole bunch of new stuff for an open world shooter. I really liked it and found a lot of the criticism silly ....
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS!! GAME IS CRAP!!

dont even get me started with the mp that will be later, i bought the game for the sp and it was bad. i played ti for a few years on the console and it was terrible, bad controls too. but anyways what ruined the game fr me was it was forced on the player to be frustrating and unforgiving. like how cars go 40 mph max speed yet when an enemy chases you they can instantly catch yp to you from 200 feet away.

Or how the cars in the game break down CONSTANTLY, travling is a joke becuase i have to stop what im doing to clear an annoying checkpoint and ti will respawn when i go 500 feet away as the respawing is distance related) becuase the cars arnt reliable enough or fast enough that i can just travel through them. and then you can have your vehicle disabled becuase the enemies shot your body of the truck, not nessacirly the engine to be damaged. the game is repetitve and forces combat when i dont want to and thats why its hard to play. it has nothing to do with skill or tactics.

it would have been an 9/10 game if 1, vehicles didnt slow down to 5mph when someone shoots a few bullets in ANYWHERE on your car, and then chases you and instantly catches up when your 100 feet away somehow. they made the ai always catch yp, and they're terrible drivers anyways, they always crash intro trees and bridge walls when there pursuing. and the checkpoints shouldnt respawn when you go 5 mnutes away (really annoying when i killed a patrol car and it respawns while im driving its vehcile i stole from it in the first place.

really the game needed some sort of companion like fallout. i should be able to have a buddy (when my history is high enough) to travel with me and they can man guns and make the game a whole lot smoother. the rep system should also decrease the chance of getting chaced too, but everything was so poorly implemented in this game thats why i no longer play it, fallout is a much more advanced open world game and its much better. this game is just a poorly developed (but shockiling buietifull game) .

i tried to like it but let me tell you abut the MP

ITS AWEFULL, no weapon balence either, today i lit a guy on fire and was circle flanking him for a good 3 seconds of pure incinerary combat, and somehow he lived but died later though. and he didnt have the "shield" of invulnerability on him either. yes you are INVINCIPAL for 5 seconds or so whenyou spawn, which ruined an earlier match when i was capturing the last control point in uprising when i unloaded on him with ar15, but he had a "shield on so he killed me, and they advanced and took all the points, so i retreated when i got an mp5 and unloaded a whole clip in one guy in my base, a whole clip yes and he killed me with a few ar 15 rounds.

the mp was the same on the console, since its so trashy they could have focysed n better sp and a better developed mechanics.

sorry for typing my hands are stiff
  21. Dec 1, 2014
    This is a great game. It has very little to do with the first far cry, which aside from the open concept and good graphics was annoying, so that's good. The game is visually stunning and really gives the feeling of blundering around a rural African state (yes I have actually been to some). The gameplay is a bit repetitive but not enough to make the game boring before at least the firstThis is a great game. It has very little to do with the first far cry, which aside from the open concept and good graphics was annoying, so that's good. The game is visually stunning and really gives the feeling of blundering around a rural African state (yes I have actually been to some). The gameplay is a bit repetitive but not enough to make the game boring before at least the first play-through, and I found the environment and integration of gameplay, characters and objectives into that environment refreshing and new. Expand
  22. Jan 3, 2014
    Far Cry 2 is just wow, The graphics for the year 2008 are absolutely excellent for this time. You can actually see your hands when the door opens and in a lot of games of this time, that doesn't happen. It has a great storyline as well. The weapons are all amazing but the problem is the enemy weapons jam which is understandable because those are in poor conditions and sometimes even theFar Cry 2 is just wow, The graphics for the year 2008 are absolutely excellent for this time. You can actually see your hands when the door opens and in a lot of games of this time, that doesn't happen. It has a great storyline as well. The weapons are all amazing but the problem is the enemy weapons jam which is understandable because those are in poor conditions and sometimes even the weapons that you buy jam. That is my only negative of Far Cry 2. Expand
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    очень скучная. Очень. ужасно скучная. Невероятно. Но за графику и за огонь она от меня зарабатывает 2. А в остальном... Даже писать не хочется. Сюжета нормального нету, игра практически линейная.
  24. Feb 25, 2014
    I think average score 5.7 to this date is still quite high for this game. Almost non existing story, very limited options what to do, along with some most unrealistic elements (the most crappy cars have gps, you always repair any car and tons of more) this game is one of the most boring 3rd person action on the market. The gameplay is so repetitive, that it gets boring even during theI think average score 5.7 to this date is still quite high for this game. Almost non existing story, very limited options what to do, along with some most unrealistic elements (the most crappy cars have gps, you always repair any car and tons of more) this game is one of the most boring 3rd person action on the market. The gameplay is so repetitive, that it gets boring even during the tutorial itself. There is very little to prise about Far cry 2 other than graphics. Expand
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    What ruins the very good atmosphere of this game for me is just that all you do is shoot people, then drive to another place on the other side of the map, get attacked by some outpost people only to shoot more people at the place you were headed! I DON'T CARE ABOUT GOOD GRAFICS IF THE GAMEPLAY IS JUST ANNOYING! I have no idea if the story is good, I didn't want to play it for long.
  26. Dec 1, 2014
    This is an action packed, beautiful and challanging adventure in the jungle. Everytime the sun turns the blue sky red and casts its beams through the giant towering jungle trees i feel the chill. The AI enemy is unpredicteble, often i found myself just walking between objectives when suddenly somebody starts fire at you with ak47, scaring the absolute **** out of me. Everytime you die, youThis is an action packed, beautiful and challanging adventure in the jungle. Everytime the sun turns the blue sky red and casts its beams through the giant towering jungle trees i feel the chill. The AI enemy is unpredicteble, often i found myself just walking between objectives when suddenly somebody starts fire at you with ak47, scaring the absolute **** out of me. Everytime you die, you start from a safehouse, witch gives survival in this game a real meaning and planning your route is vital. Your carracter never speaks, giving me a chance to put my own face on the caracter and imagine myself in the role as a struggeling adventurer in the jungle. I have played through the campain 3 times now, and my heart still beats for this masterpiece Expand
  27. Aug 8, 2014
    Far Cry 2 is a good game with stunning graphic and a large open Africa, standard gun fights with some RPG elements. That's the good side. Now on the other hand, it's sucks. There's no such thing called "Stealth" in this game, and almost every time, there's only one way to complete the objective. Besides that, stupid infinity spawn AI, useless safe houses for the PC version, uninspiredFar Cry 2 is a good game with stunning graphic and a large open Africa, standard gun fights with some RPG elements. That's the good side. Now on the other hand, it's sucks. There's no such thing called "Stealth" in this game, and almost every time, there's only one way to complete the objective. Besides that, stupid infinity spawn AI, useless safe houses for the PC version, uninspired story and the bad voice acting with ridiculous color filter are the reasons why this game should get a "7" Expand
  28. Feb 2, 2015
    Far Cry 2 is an open world first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It was released on October 21, 2008.Far Cry 2 is a sequel to the original Far Cry. The game features an open-ended experience. Players are able to ally with one or multiple factions, and to progress through the game world and missions as they see fit, resulting in a nonlinear style ofFar Cry 2 is an open world first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It was released on October 21, 2008.Far Cry 2 is a sequel to the original Far Cry. The game features an open-ended experience. Players are able to ally with one or multiple factions, and to progress through the game world and missions as they see fit, resulting in a nonlinear style of gameplay commonly referred to as sandbox mode that allows the story to progress at their speed and in the order they choose.[7] Players can use a range of vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats and hang gliders, to travel within the 50 km2 (19 sq mi) gameplay area. The playing styles range from head-on assaults to stealthy infiltrations and assassinations. The game takes place in a sprawling African landscape, with terrain ranging from desert to savannah to jungle. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2015
    I was bored with this game sooner than expected. Sure I am playing it now, and maybe, for it's day, it was fine.
    The graphics seemed to impress me even in 2015, as they feel more real (to properer scale?), than even Far cry 4. But that's about it. I think it it very repetitive mission-wise and it's tedious to travel from point a to point b. The enemies also look and play quite awkward. I did finished it, but it was from pure stubbornness.
  30. Dec 2, 2014
    My first impression was the best. Although, infinite enemy respawn, ghost bullets (i've shoot people who felt nothing) and endless car ramming made me hate this game from the botton of my heart! It had everything to be a perfect game, bad programing screwed.
  31. Mar 7, 2015
    Score Breakdown: Sound Effects and Music 10/10, Graphics 10/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 10/10, Game Stability 10/10, Voice Acting 10/10, Realism 4/10, Gameplay 4/10, Plot 3/10, Replay Value 3/10, Total Score 7.1/10

Conclusion: Well, to be sure this was really a huge improvement over the original Far Cry, in that this one is at least worth playing. An ok enough game, but features many annoying unrealisms.

1. Combat is thrilling – each weapon packing a solid, vicious blast; movement suggesting heft and momentum. [Dec 2008, p.80]
  2. By adopting a laissez faire attitude to player discretion, Ubisoft has crafted a brilliant follow-up.
    More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.