5.7

1. Aidan.
    Dec 24, 2009
    Great game, EASY to play and get the hang on. Point, shoot and on to the next mission.
  2. JamesR
    Feb 13, 2010
    Look at the scores people are giving Far Cry 2. Theya re either really high or really low. That obviously tells you that it's not a question of whether the game is good or bad, but rather the game is suited to certain types of people. Don't think of Far Cry 2 as a 'Far Cry' game. It is basically a totally new series with new characters, a new setting and a new gameplay Look at the scores people are giving Far Cry 2. Theya re either really high or really low. That obviously tells you that it's not a question of whether the game is good or bad, but rather the game is suited to certain types of people. Don't think of Far Cry 2 as a 'Far Cry' game. It is basically a totally new series with new characters, a new setting and a new gameplay style. I love this sort of open-world shooter. Far Cry 2 does have some bad points though. Enemies respawn way too quickly, guns degrade way too quickly and there are too many enemy jeeps driving around. I also wish the map was a little more open as a lot of the time the roads just go through canyons. It would be really cool if it was just uninterrupted savannah for several kilometres. Unfortunately, however, cliffs and canyons appear every few hundred metres even in the most open areas. This game should have had civilians because not all people should attack you on sight. Ubisoft said before the release of the game that it had wicked car chases but I just find myself switching to the gun as soon as I see an enemy vehicle and blasting the crap out of them. They really should have made patrolling enemy vehicles equipped with no weapons. I would have prefered to work for one faction with an in-depth storyline because I found the story to be the only major let-down in the game. Yes, the game has a lot of flaws but the reason I rate it so high is because it attempted something no other game has before. To get the most out of this game, just enjoy the open-world with heaps of awesome weapons and the ability to kill mercenaries in any gruesome way you see fit. If you don't like this game, it isn't so much that it is a "bad game", but more that it isn't your style of game. Expand
  3. MikeC
    Jun 5, 2009
    I am utterly disappointed. As a rule I check out the reviews of a game before buying, and probably the biggest mistake I made with Far Cry 2 was looking at the critic score on this site rather than the users'. This will not happen again, as the "professional critics" (I use that term loosely) all appear in this case to have consumed the same dull, murky brown kool aid. I dare not I am utterly disappointed. As a rule I check out the reviews of a game before buying, and probably the biggest mistake I made with Far Cry 2 was looking at the critic score on this site rather than the users'. This will not happen again, as the "professional critics" (I use that term loosely) all appear in this case to have consumed the same dull, murky brown kool aid. I dare not suggest, like some others on here, that they are on the take, but it is more than a little suspicious to see so many rave reviews for a game that has nothing gonig for it besides ambition...and if there's one thing gamers should have learned by now, it's that ambition combined with lazy execution (no civilians? no friendlies/neutrals out in the field except for the Deus Ex Machina buddies? oy) invariably makes for a bad game. Expand
  4. FrancisG
    Mar 9, 2009
    Great graphics overall. The scenery, open space, the "go-anywhere" concept and the choice of weaponery all play in favor of this game. BUT... I feel like they cut corner on the story line / mission types. Go there, kill that guys, steal this and then come back... It's always the same from start to finish. Still I'm addict to FarCry 2.
  5. Dr.No
    Oct 2, 2009
    No, no, no. To put it shortly, this game is a joke. I had to finish it just to convince myself i was right. Even then I couldnt believe myself and to backup my thoughts I decided to google to find out what others think out this hyped game. That's how I found this site. Had a blast reading those reviews. I feel for everyone who paid full price of the game. It's the saddest and No, no, no. To put it shortly, this game is a joke. I had to finish it just to convince myself i was right. Even then I couldnt believe myself and to backup my thoughts I decided to google to find out what others think out this hyped game. That's how I found this site. Had a blast reading those reviews. I feel for everyone who paid full price of the game. It's the saddest and overhyped game I have played so far. Expand
  6. davskib
    Jul 10, 2009
    Absolute, overhyped nonsense. Don't waste your money. I can't, in my right mind, believe reviewers' scores are as high as they are. $ talks, and BS review(s) walks. Sad disappointment. Play Crysis Warhead, then try this game and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hell, SOF from 6 years ago, which btw is a good game even now, is better than this PoS. How sad.
  7. NaytoE
    Jul 14, 2009
    Samuel W Sums this game up very well... I give this 'thing' a 0 simply because it isn't a game, it's just a thing for looking pretty in videos and pictures and to be fair the graphics are poor in comparison with games like Crysis. So, it doesn't even succeed at looking pretty, So very very poor. Ubisoft, once again, take a large turd and plop it onto a once great title.
  8. KillerE
    Sep 4, 2009
    Ok i never do these "rate this game" crap becuase i never give a crap if someone buys a bad game. THere lost. But this..... this is just terrible. Not even the village idiot deserves to play this. This game in everyone stink beside graphically but who give a crap about. It all about gameplay and story. You can have the most best game looking in the world and it will suck if it dosnt have Ok i never do these "rate this game" crap becuase i never give a crap if someone buys a bad game. THere lost. But this..... this is just terrible. Not even the village idiot deserves to play this. This game in everyone stink beside graphically but who give a crap about. It all about gameplay and story. You can have the most best game looking in the world and it will suck if it dosnt have a good gameplay and story. This has nothing other then boredom and the feeling that "You Will Know" and i cant stress that enough, that youmeeting up with the dumbest ai in the world and that is game has nothing new to it that other great game title have already accomplished. Its a wannibee game. If anything Ubisoft pay high money for critics to rate there game prositivly. Kinda like those commerical you see on tv for a movie saying "its the best movie in the world and must be seen" when in reality it sucks and they pay random people to say it great to trick you. That goes this this game and many other ubisoft game other then Il-2 (which was never part of ubi soft in the first place) and splinter cell 1 2 and 3. All other games are just over advertised game they promote. If anything UBI lost an other customer. I will only buy a game from them if it was made by a other company that has there name but other then that never again. And for IGN review saying "More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities" I have stalker and it 1000 times better then this crap for a game. It barely full of bugs because most were fix since you last review of it 3 years ago. It has more game play in it, action, horror, and etc then most games. It has a huge modding community and a story with 7 different ending depend on what you do. And stalker is 3-4 years old now yet it accomplish basically everything that this crappy game try to mimic. Stalker is the unsong hero that start nonlinear FPS with open world and etc. It has for its time great ai that will even outsmart this game Ai by a long shot, amazing wildlife (animal and mutants hunt each other and are non scripted. there only 3 thing there programed for is eat, sleep, and basic needs for life. nothing else). Everyone if you want a game that this crap for a game try to be Buy Stalker or Fallout 3 (even though fall out 3 is more RPG but hey at least it bring people back to play it more even if they finished it). Expand
  9. AdamB
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great game, this game makes the mercs in subsaharan Africa look downright cool! This nonlinear sandbox of a game isn't for the impatient, but for those willing to invest a bit of time in a game, the reward is enormous! One last thing: find a big truck and hold on to it for dear life. Your truck is your transportation, your shield, your weapon and your portable road blockade, all in one.
  10. MattM
    Dec 25, 2009
    Awesome game. I lived in Africa for 18 years and spent a good deal of time in the bush......this allows me to roam through very well portrayed landscape. A short coming would be that there should have been the big 5... and adding danger to the roaming. Gunfights were great and I loved the story. Scenery was awesome.
  11. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is truly a far cry from the first one. Everything you loved about the first game is gone here. The only thing this has in common with the other is the glider. That's it. If you're looking to recapture the experience of Far Cry 1 be prepared for massive disappointment.
    Let's start with the good: the graphics. This is the only decent thing about this game. The environments looks nice all around but even this quickly loses its appeal after while since there's not much to look at. It's mostly sparse landscapes. It looks nice but also boring. The character model's faces are also lacking in detail. Now the bad: everything else. The audio in this game is poorly done. The weapons sound cheap and unconvincing. The vehicles have this little hum when driving. The characters' voices can be hard to hear sometimes and they usually talk pretty fast. There is no depth or range to the sound. I can't tell if someone is talking 5 feet away or 50 feet away. There are no options to individually adjust voice or sound effect volumes. Music can't be adjusted either. You can only turn it on or off. The AI in this game is atrocious. They will usually try to flank you but it's pointless since they all have eagle eye vision and auto-aim and can hit you from a mile away with no problem. Sometimes the AI will get stuck and they'll be facing another direction when you're right in front of them. The AI automatically senses when you get into a vehicle and starts firing at you so if you can't see where that enemy has run off to just get into a car and they'll start shooting at you. The gameplay is the worst part. It's just awful. EVERYONE will shoot you on sight. It doesn't matter which faction you do missions for. Their guys won't help you since you're "undercover". The enemies take an excessive amount of damage. You have to shoot them so many times to kill them. The turret in this game is crap. It's severely underpowered and actually takes longer to kill the enemies than your own weapons do unless they're right in your face. Seriously. If you try and stay at a distance to take out the guardposts with a turret it will take forever to kill them while they will have no problem shooting you. 75% of the game is you driving around from point A to point B and it's usually from one end of the map to the other. Then there are the guardposts with the respawning enemies. This is undoubtedly the most annoying part of the game. If you kill the enemies and then go a certain distance and then return to that guardpost the enemies all respawn even if you killed them 2 minutes ago. There's no point in wasting time using stealth or trying to be clever since they just respawn and you have to kill them again on your way back. They make it so it's impossible to go around most of these checkpoints. You can't just blow past them in a vehicle either because they will get in their vehicle and chase you and they will ALWAYS catch up to you because the game cheats. I've tested this and they get this turbo speed boost to catch you. You have no choice but to stop and shoot them. There's also constant vehicle patrols all over the place. They'll either shoot you if there's a guy on the turret or tail and ram you forever until you stop and kill them.

The gameplay is extremely repetitive. All you do is drive around the map performing missions by killing someone or blowing something up. That's it. Ubisoft did this exact same thing with Assassin's Creed. Go from point A to point B, kill someone, rinse and repeat. It's obvious they do not know how to make a fun game and I don't have much hope for Far Cry 3. Then they threw in various gameplay elements like weapons jamming, fixing cars, and you having malaria and needing to constantly take medicine, to try and make it realistic but all it does is annoy you. If you pick up an enemy's weapon it will be in a degraded state. Very quickly the weapon will jam and you have to press reload to fix it. But when the enemy uses their gun it never jams on them. Only you. How is that realistic? So the only point is to piss you off. If your car gets shot up it will start smoking and you will have to fix it. The animation consists of you turning a bolt with a wrench. Yes that's how it gets fixed. Just like in real life. The malaria thing is dumb and adds nothing to the game except to irritate you. Try having a malaria attack while your gun jams on you and your car is smoking while a bunch of auto-aiming enemies are around you. See how fun that is.

The game suffers from numerous glitches. I had an enemy floating in the air and then dropping and dying and alerting his friends.There are audio problems like no sound or subtitles when answering the phone. The game will crash periodically. The gameplay is repetitive and annoying. It's not even an average game. It's a below average mess. Save your money. It's a huge letdown.
  12. Oct 1, 2012
    This is Worst Game I have ever played...made me sick in real time ...Complete Nonsense...At least Game Makers should know,what he is trying user to grab...what we are doing in this game...what to do why to do and ultimately what's aim? ...Iam deleting this game in middle...even i dont know how many missions i have completed...wtf.
  13. Nov 19, 2012
    The original Far Cry is one of my favorite game of all time. Its name is filled with honor. Because you know at the time the game was made they used top-notch graphics, and the story and gameplay was just explosive. How ever, Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game ever. If you die, you will spawn to far away for your destination. You have to take malaria pills every so often. PeopleThe original Far Cry is one of my favorite game of all time. Its name is filled with honor. Because you know at the time the game was made they used top-notch graphics, and the story and gameplay was just explosive. How ever, Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game ever. If you die, you will spawn to far away for your destination. You have to take malaria pills every so often. People always knows who you are, even if you're just driving a car, enemies will spot you and shot at you. The game is just to flawed and it never ends. Crytek, why did you sell Far Cry? Worst mistake they ever made. Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2012
    You play a couple of missions types repeatedly through out the whole game. You have to travel massive distances to do it. It's boring. The graphics were the only selling point in the game. I loved FarCry. I couldn't finish the game I was so bored. I usually finish every game I buy. I was one of those fools that bought it full price. Harsh lesson learnt.
  15. Feb 1, 2013
    Not worth it! I purchased it on a special offer at just $9.99 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I had already played Far Cry 3 and liked so thought I would give the previous version a chance but it is TERRIBLE. Hard to follow the mapmarkers, the fast travel is horrible and even though I am on EASY level, it's just very hard to achieve your missions. I can't believe the differenceNot worth it! I purchased it on a special offer at just $9.99 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I had already played Far Cry 3 and liked so thought I would give the previous version a chance but it is TERRIBLE. Hard to follow the mapmarkers, the fast travel is horrible and even though I am on EASY level, it's just very hard to achieve your missions. I can't believe the difference between Far Cry 2 and 3. The 3rd installment is very good. But don't waste your time on this one. I can see why user score is 5.6 Expand
  16. Jul 21, 2013
    Too much driving. Too much scavenging. Combat is very repetitive. Enemies spawn back way too quickly. And where is the story? Played 8 hours so far and I am sick and tired of it.
  17. Apr 16, 2011
    Nothing on the first one. The first was a sweet game- great graphics, fun story- a really enjoyable game.

This one? Very repetitive. Clear a camp, come back later and it's inhabited by the same people again...
  18. Jun 14, 2012
    This game bored me to tears so badly that I had to quit. Virtually every aspect of this game is broken, overly done, or underdone. The realism they try to implement means that you can die from a 5 foot fall, your weapons never work, and because it's Africa everything has to be ugly and bland as sin. Far cry instincts beats this game so miserably it was a wasted release for ubisoft.This game bored me to tears so badly that I had to quit. Virtually every aspect of this game is broken, overly done, or underdone. The realism they try to implement means that you can die from a 5 foot fall, your weapons never work, and because it's Africa everything has to be ugly and bland as sin. Far cry instincts beats this game so miserably it was a wasted release for ubisoft. Furthermore, my CD key is repetedly refused for the online, despite attempting all fixes possible. This game is therefore unfinished and worthless. Expand
  19. PaulS
    Sep 15, 2009
    Installing this entertaining baloney is straight forward, as long as you accept SecuROM and toward the end of installation just before launching the game, there is an update and then... presto, the game is playable with no CD running around the African savannah trying to dodge fatigue inducing malaria. The first noticeable glitch is the graphics: sepia tones, bland, dull, drenched as if Installing this entertaining baloney is straight forward, as long as you accept SecuROM and toward the end of installation just before launching the game, there is an update and then... presto, the game is playable with no CD running around the African savannah trying to dodge fatigue inducing malaria. The first noticeable glitch is the graphics: sepia tones, bland, dull, drenched as if the hot African sun had scorched the fire prone grass to suck out any moisture from man-made surroundings. The hero, anti hero or idiot takes a vehicle ride and just as he arrives becomes sick with malaria?! Now, you wonder why this game wasnt titled 'Far Crap: Malaria'. When Malaria Idiot becomes conscious he has an interaction with some loser who doesnt look like a Jackal but is definitely human?! Next, Malaria Idiot stumbles downstairs into a shootout and gets shot up?! Now, Malaria Idiot is no more enlightened than at the beginning of this lacklustre gaming inexperience and at the end, Malaria Idiot will wish he were mauled and snuffed out by a voracious, Malaria Idiot eating lion or horned through by a rampaging rhino or after taking an uninspiring swim squashed by a sunbaking hippo. We could even settle for an elephant tusking the Jackal and Malaria Idiot into a painful, snail-slow, 1 to 2 FPS, kick-the-bucket ending. Ubisoft?! U Be Instantly Soft... yes, after playing this, my brain is spam mushy. At least, unlike the creators of this entertaining miasma of faux pas induced fait accompli, I was never a Richard Cranium... Expand
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    Bought it after seeing some positive videos on the tube. I regretted it. The graphics are absolutely stunning but the game per se is terrible. Far Cry 2 is basically a terrific map with a terrible game spawning sporadically.
  21. LadsyM
    Jul 6, 2009
    This truly is a broken game. All its faults are reasonably easily fixable. However, they remain, and between the terrible design decisions (instantly respawning checkpoints), totally thick AI (not as bad as Crysis, but still pretty bad) and the arduous, shameless lengthening of the game, in the form of spending 70% of your play time driving, the crimes this game commits are unforgivable. This truly is a broken game. All its faults are reasonably easily fixable. However, they remain, and between the terrible design decisions (instantly respawning checkpoints), totally thick AI (not as bad as Crysis, but still pretty bad) and the arduous, shameless lengthening of the game, in the form of spending 70% of your play time driving, the crimes this game commits are unforgivable. It is a dog. Expand
  22. ThadM.
    May 1, 2009
    I have never been so sad about a game i LOVED far cry 1 and this is just the worst excuse for AI and mission and storyline and voice acting ever they could have just built a new graphics engine and thrown the old far crys ai and story line on this and it would have been a better game whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS.
  23. GalenK
    Oct 4, 2009
    This game is confused, it says its going for immersion right? so why when i am creeping through the shadows and raise my ak-47 and shoot a bullet into a person's heart he turns around and kills me? Call of Duty 4 is more fun than this game and more realistic, and i thought call of duty was the epitome of psuedo-realism but this game tops it, having studied the terminal ballistics of This game is confused, it says its going for immersion right? so why when i am creeping through the shadows and raise my ak-47 and shoot a bullet into a person's heart he turns around and kills me? Call of Duty 4 is more fun than this game and more realistic, and i thought call of duty was the epitome of psuedo-realism but this game tops it, having studied the terminal ballistics of military rounds this game was no more immersive than far cry 1. snipers are also clearly the best guns in the game, the imbalances in the game are very annoying. also the upgrades for how much ammo you can carry are stupid small, you pay a massive amount of money for 1 more clip in each gun, its idiotic. along with that the health system should have been adapted from the call of duty series but nope they had to waist their time putting pointless animations of you pulling sh*t out of yourself, idiotic, you also had to constantly be stocking up on syringes which just slows down game play for no good reason and stresses you out because if one of your partners is shot down and you are out you have to shoot them in the face, what the hell is all i can say to that ill-advised mechanic. also this game feels nothing like Africa at all, i couldn't have been less immersed. the game breaker for me was that it takes 5 shots to the chest to kill someone with a 7.62mmX51mm (FN-FAL para) which should be a one shot to the heart along with every other gun and 1 shot to the lung. overall a very very broken game that left me wishing i could sell steam games. Expand
  24. KeijoK
    May 30, 2009
    I´ll give 2 point for smoothly running game, graphics are good and there are no clitches. The game itself is as said in most of the comments the biggest disappointment of the year. This is not an FPS this is poorly made driving game, they did everything better in Colin Mcrae rally 2.0; consider buying it instead. I´m just curious; did they pay for the reviewers to give good I´ll give 2 point for smoothly running game, graphics are good and there are no clitches. The game itself is as said in most of the comments the biggest disappointment of the year. This is not an FPS this is poorly made driving game, they did everything better in Colin Mcrae rally 2.0; consider buying it instead. I´m just curious; did they pay for the reviewers to give good points to this piece of you know what? I´m disappointed. Expand
  25. MadsHC
    May 22, 2009
    I just completed the story mode on medium, and i've gotta say, that i am really dissappointed. I think this game misses alot. There's not a very wide selection of vechicles, which i think really sucks. The guard posts and the safe houses are pretty much all the same. I think the selection of weapons is too small. There isn't even any special quest weapons, which is a must I just completed the story mode on medium, and i've gotta say, that i am really dissappointed. I think this game misses alot. There's not a very wide selection of vechicles, which i think really sucks. The guard posts and the safe houses are pretty much all the same. I think the selection of weapons is too small. There isn't even any special quest weapons, which is a must for any game. The way you acheive your weapons in this game is quite bad too. It's cooler to just walk around and pick up whatever weapons you enemies may have. In the 1st Far Cry game you could throw rocks to distract you enemies, which is a feature i really miss in this game. The quests in the game is all the same. Go kill someone or go get medicine. No sniping quests, no sick weapons quests, no "free use of sick explosions" quests. Not even a single car chase or something like that! I also think the story of the game is very badly written. It seems like they have just made the main quest to kill "The Jackal" just because they needed something to be the main objective. None of the quests seem to have any relation to that main objective at all. But the worst shit in this game is the ending. Either go shoot yourself or blow yourself up..... That sucks ..... Visually the game is amazing, but just about every last piece of the game sucks. Repetitive, unrealistic and boring. I was expecting Far Cry 1 with a new storyline and better graphic! I payed 495 DKK for this game, which equals to about 80 USD..... Waste of money! My overall rating is going to be 2/5 I'd rather play Far Cry 1, if they hadn't added all the monsters. Expand
  26. SamuelW
    May 24, 2009
    I'm giving this game a 1, sincerely, because it's not a game at all. It is a gigantic conglomeration of nothingness in a vast world of nothing, where everything, everywhere, is exactly the same. A game (in my opinion) is supposed to have some kind of substance to it. If there was ever an instance of a modern game with phenomenal graphics that had the gameplay of an atari game, I'm giving this game a 1, sincerely, because it's not a game at all. It is a gigantic conglomeration of nothingness in a vast world of nothing, where everything, everywhere, is exactly the same. A game (in my opinion) is supposed to have some kind of substance to it. If there was ever an instance of a modern game with phenomenal graphics that had the gameplay of an atari game, this is definitely it. Every mission is EXACTLY the same. Well, I shouldn't say every one... There are 3 types of missions. You either blow up a truck and get guns, kill a random dude in a random place for money, or kill some random guys in a random place to make money and make the faction happy. None of it feels like anything at all. This is the only game in existence where playing missions is exactly the same as not playing missions. If you randomly drive around and don't accept a single mission of the game, you will be equally as satisfied as completing the game (ie, you will be about as satisfied as drinking piss when you're thirsty). None of it makes any sense. You will be in the middle of a firefight, and suddenly your brand new gun will jam, then your screen will blur out and turn yellow because you're randomly sick with malaria, you will get shot nearly to death, so you run like a scared little girl behind the first rock you see. 3 bandages, a syringe, and popping some pills later... you feel better... only to repeat this incredible nonsense all over again 15 minutes later. Oh.... Oh..... don't even get me started on the controls..... really.... don't... well.. oh, what's that? You want to hear what I think of the controls? Okay! EPIC BAGS OF FAIL Mouse is extremely laggy and sluggish even with 60 fps. After random tweaking of various files, I have gotten it to feel "decent" at best. Leaning and Prone are completely 100% removed. Why remove a feature from the second game that was essential to the first game? It's one thing if you're playing half life and you can't go into prone or lean, but in a jungle setting where cover is essential, you will grind your teeth out cursing the developers for being so naive. Every movement feels slow, sluggish, and delayed. Your character sprints slower than a sloth, and becomes tired and weary after a mere 3 seconds of sprinting. Jumping feels useless, especially when there are invisible walls EVERYWHERE to keep you from getting to places that seem interesting. ............ I'm done. Please, do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. Far Cry 1 for the PC was one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it countless times and had countless hours of fun playing through that game. I'm disgusted that this developer disgraced a title that I hold so dear to me. Expand
  27. May 8, 2012
    Boring. Repetitive, Ridiculous respawns. Waste of time. The negative reviews sum it up. The game is a "far cry" from being even remotely related to the first game. Steam needs to start giving refunds for piles of waste.
  28. JudgeE
    May 18, 2009
    Love it! I started playing it on a PS3 where the graphics and setting are astoundingly gorgeous. The sound track and atmospherics haunted me into getting it for PC. It is a game I wanted to finish from the moment I ran my first mission. Now I play on infamous and NEVER get tired of sneaking around No belly aching for me. Bring it. A soldier of fortune isn't going to last ten seconds Love it! I started playing it on a PS3 where the graphics and setting are astoundingly gorgeous. The sound track and atmospherics haunted me into getting it for PC. It is a game I wanted to finish from the moment I ran my first mission. Now I play on infamous and NEVER get tired of sneaking around No belly aching for me. Bring it. A soldier of fortune isn't going to last ten seconds in a place like Africa if he rushes in where fools fear to tread and thinks he's bullet proof. If that's your MO, stay out of this jungle. Expand
  29. AntonioM
    Mar 17, 2010
    I have always loved Ubisoft games, such as Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell, but lately it has been seeming to me like video games have become less entertaining over the years. But than I downloaded Far Cry 2 and lets just say with more games like this everyone should still be amazed by video games. Unforgettable game. A must play.
  30. Nov 15, 2012
    i love this game!its so amazing i don't have enough words to describe it.
    the graphics are very cool and unique, the shooting is amazing and i especially like the blood after you shoot and the sound of it .there are alot of amazing maps in the game and some only for sniper that are very good also.there are alot classes to choose from and the gameplay is amazing in multiplayer .
    the
    i love this game!its so amazing i don't have enough words to describe it.
    the singleplayer is less fun its the same concept over and over again but its still isn't bad.the only bad thing in it is the multiplayer bugs but you can live with it.
    i cant wait for far cry 3!
  31. Stephen
    Jan 18, 2009
    Oh come on. A bunch of whining 14yr olds. When they realized that Far Cry 2 has almost nothing to do with Far Cry 1, they decided that they hate it, then they tried to look for every fault in the game to back up their opinion. I never played Far Cry 1, so I'm unbiased. Far Cry 2 is an amazing game in its own right. Are there problems? Sure. A few minor ones (por exemplo, guards Oh come on. A bunch of whining 14yr olds. When they realized that Far Cry 2 has almost nothing to do with Far Cry 1, they decided that they hate it, then they tried to look for every fault in the game to back up their opinion. I never played Far Cry 1, so I'm unbiased. Far Cry 2 is an amazing game in its own right. Are there problems? Sure. A few minor ones (por exemplo, guards shouldn't respawn so quickly, and why can I carry Ak47 and Rocket Launcher, but not Ak47 and Sniper Rifle?). But a fair-minded gamer comes to this game and says WOW. The Meta-critic score is higher than the User Score because, unlike 14yr old Far Cry 1 fanboys, professional critics know how to give nuanced reviews and scores that don't drop down to zero the instant a fault is found. Really, great job on this game! It's fun. Expand
  32. steveo
    Jun 27, 2009
    This game was absolutely incredible. That gay ass samuel has no idea what he's talking about. he's probably mad because he doesn't have the brain power to figure out missions. He obviously has a terrible view on games. I mean look he like FAR CRY 1. That game was horrible. Go to hell Samuel W.
  33. Jan 1, 2011
    I would tend to agree with the professional reviewers rather than the users on this one - Far Cry 2 is an immersive, graphically excellent, and reasonably realistic game. It's extremely atmospheric, and the unusual setting - an unnamed war-torn African nation - gives it a unqiue feel.

It's clear from many of the other user reviews here that people expect certain things from a first-person shooter, and Far Cry 2 isn't ticking those boxes. Personally, I am not a big fan of linear gameplay, preferring open, 'sandbox' games like the GTA series, so to me Far Cry 2 is a breath of fresh air. Being able to move around at your own pace, in a very realistic world (in terms of audio/graphics, at least), and come up with your own tactics rather than having to follow a set path makes this a lot of fun.

I've dropped 1 point because of the instantly-respawning enemies (as mentioned in many other reviews) and because if you cause trouble, run away, and come back, everyone seems to have forgotten about you, which is weird. The story is a little weak, but honestly, who really wants 20-minute-long cut scenes? In short, this beautiful and open-ended game doesn't stick to the conventions of FPSes, and that makes it something unique.
  34. Mar 18, 2014
    The issue with Far Cry 2 is that it's marketed incorrectly. They sell it as a shooter and so people think they should run around and engage enemies whenever they see them. If you try to do that in Far Cry 2, you'll die - first in the game, then of boredom.

It's a realistic, stealth based shooter and that's how it should be treated. Imagine that you're actually running around in Africa trying to survive and you'll do better. You avoid combat unless you need not to or have a great advantage, if you are discovered by a multitude of enemies, you wreak havoc and run for your life. You infiltrate during the night, not the daytime. You don't drive around on the road near checkpoints in a country at war. You kill without mercy and you get better at it as the game goes on. Not through XP and levels, but just by improving. That's an amazing experience in itself.

If you think carefully, stealth around a bit and plan your approach, there's literally no game ever made that'll reward you like this one will. You can choose to go in hard with granades and LMGs, or snipe from a hill top or sneak up close and take them down one at a time (or not take them down and just do what you came for). You'll pull off amazing infiltrations and assassinations, you'll experience an enemy truly scared of you and you play a story that transcends any attempted in a shooter before. Based on Conrad's great novel "The Heart of Darkness" (like Apocalypse Now is), you'll get an interesting and raw approach to Africa and the wars that ravage the continent. This game actually has something to say and it knows how to say it. It is, however, not a sandbox, casual fun shooter and it was a mistake to market it as such.

A word of advice, put the game on top difficulty. The AI seems broken on the lower ones and the game doesn't become too hard on the hardest one. Just as long as you remember that if you're outnumbered five to one and they know where you are, you're not going to win. At least not always.
  35. Aug 11, 2011
    Im certain that my taste in games would be highly respected by my peers if any of them were gamers so hark my words. you get out what you put in to this game.
    I put off playing this game for a while because of the reasons stated in the low scoring reviews but then I remembered, actually, I prefer making my own conclusions.
    get blazed, relax, difficulty to hardcore, tactically plan your
    get blazed, relax, difficulty to hardcore, tactically plan your approach to combat and suck in the vibe.
    To all those people rating this low... I can understand why.
    However, when you get older and your tastes start maturing you'll start to appreciate this game.
    You are probably looking for that stunning girl with amazing personality and deep conversation, with a cracking body and a good sense of humour. Far Cry 2 is more like a 45 year old woman, past her prime but still attractive, and delivers where it really matters... the bedroom.
    I have no idea where im going with this analogy....
    ..oh yeah.
    The latter is definitely much more of a challenge to get involved with but once you crack it and those stilletoes are diggin into your back and shes calling you a piece of dirt... you will be way more satisfied.
  36. May 5, 2012
    Erm, why has this got a user score of 5.6? The console version is terrible compared to PC. On consoles it's running at 720, 30 FPS and on lower graphics and FoV. Not to mention the hideous controls, which are unresponsive and make movement more awkward than any other game. Hence why on multiplayer there is practically auto-aim rather than aim assist. On PC however, the framerates areErm, why has this got a user score of 5.6? The console version is terrible compared to PC. On consoles it's running at 720, 30 FPS and on lower graphics and FoV. Not to mention the hideous controls, which are unresponsive and make movement more awkward than any other game. Hence why on multiplayer there is practically auto-aim rather than aim assist. On PC however, the framerates are smooth, graphics are better in every way due to DX10 support controls are better... I guess it's because PC gamers compare it to Crysis and the first Far Cry whereas those console kids haven't seen the good stuff. Whilst it's true that this is notthing like the first game, I think that it makes it better because it shows there's been some work done and it isn't just copy and paste. The actual gameplay experience is more similar than you might think, but you couldn't tell it's a Far Cry game without the title. Regardless, it's still a fantastic game, with my only criticism being the lack of players in ranked matches on multiplayer. Expand
  37. Dec 7, 2012
    I love the setting and mood of this game, not to mention the lack of a HUD which increases immersion. Combat is very fun, with capable AI opponents that turn psychotic in vehicles. There is nothing like shooting a flare pistol at someone in the dark and lighting them and the surroundings on fire. Missions do get repetitive, but the incredible landscape and enjoyable combat compensate forI love the setting and mood of this game, not to mention the lack of a HUD which increases immersion. Combat is very fun, with capable AI opponents that turn psychotic in vehicles. There is nothing like shooting a flare pistol at someone in the dark and lighting them and the surroundings on fire. Missions do get repetitive, but the incredible landscape and enjoyable combat compensate for everything else. I came back to this game after playing a bit of Far Cry 3. Expand
  38. Mar 26, 2013
    the graphics are really nice but the game is extremely boring.
    the game is repetitive, the enemies respawn constantly and are extremely stupid.
    It has a plot,

conclusion:

+ graphics
    - EVERYTHING ELSE!!
  39. Mar 10, 2012
    I only just recently got into Far Cry 2. Previously, I had played the first one, and enjoyed it greatly. When I noticed that a second one had come out, I decided I had to try it out. My first impressions, before even playing it, were slightly low, seeing that the game was not released by CryTek, but instead, Ubisoft (not a huge fan of them.) However, Giving it a try, I was met with a newI only just recently got into Far Cry 2. Previously, I had played the first one, and enjoyed it greatly. When I noticed that a second one had come out, I decided I had to try it out. My first impressions, before even playing it, were slightly low, seeing that the game was not released by CryTek, but instead, Ubisoft (not a huge fan of them.) However, Giving it a try, I was met with a new experience on this game. It ran great on my computer, a lower-end machine (running Intel HD Graphics) with a close to 35 FPS and only had issues with slightly lengthy loading periods. I was amazed by how the atmosphere of the game was. The landscape portrayed many elements of the African area it takes place in, from deserts, to forests, to grasslands and everything in between. Even more amazing to me was the implicated weather system and realistic natural elements, such as being able to burn vegetation, and the sun moving relative to the time of day (in game time.) What sold me most on this score of 10 was the fact that all this was done, and so much was fit into the game, without me having to close processes to free up memory. This game is one of the few games I would give a 10 to, and it deserves it. I will be looking forward to Far Cry 3, and hope that it amazes me once again. Expand
  40. May 21, 2012
    well... it maybe true its repetitive, but open world, and nice graphic is priceless. i like the way we roam the big world, doing things we want to try... and it is not really that boring, if you are the types of person who like it. But, i believe FarCry3 would be the best because it really have soul in its character (i saw the trailer and it was amazing).
  41. Jun 6, 2012
    This game is a shame for the name Far Cry! The first (and only) Far Cry was a brilliant masterpiece with excellent graphics, very long and really amazing campaign, great level design, everything just perfect!
    It was a revoltuion to the PC game market.
    It was a revoltuion to the PC game market.
    That's pretty much everything that FarCry 2 does not have. It doesn't continue Jack Carvers story, the envirenment is in a **** desert, graphics are quite nice, but there is NO story at all. All you do is move from control point A to control point B and kill some dudes on the way, when you are done with the mission and drive the same way back home, the dudes you killed have respawned and you got to fight them again! I AM NOT F**KING KIDDING! This makes you mad. Don't waste a cent on this game!
  42. May 21, 2012
    Awesome game with cool story and graphics, the cinematics are great i love this game the IA are very worked and the concept of this game is interresent (sorry for my english i am french)
  43. Jun 26, 2012
    Really brilliant! Awesome! The gameplay and the AI are just perfect to the entertainment of the gamer. I liked so much, but I only think that sometimes the game is too difficult, and complex to novice players.
  44. Apr 27, 2013
    Far Cry 2 does not deserve a 5.6. It deserves an 8.7 IMO, because this game is amazing and was way ahead of its time. The fire spreads, which means that if you need to retreat, use molotovs, flame throwers, or the flare gun and create a fire boundary to keep your enemies at bay. Also, enemies are extremely realistic. If you surprise them they jump back, if they're on the ground they moanFar Cry 2 does not deserve a 5.6. It deserves an 8.7 IMO, because this game is amazing and was way ahead of its time. The fire spreads, which means that if you need to retreat, use molotovs, flame throwers, or the flare gun and create a fire boundary to keep your enemies at bay. Also, enemies are extremely realistic. If you surprise them they jump back, if they're on the ground they moan and scream, if they need help they call their friend's names. The driving is just what it should be. Vehicles steer nicely and are easy to drive. The vehicles are what a poor African country would have (old cars, buggies with a place for gunners, heavy assault trucks, ammo trucks, ATV's, and rare jeeps). The towns may not be what you expect; they have no civilians and look extremely poor. The missions are good and the game really creates a sense of "you're in it for the money, nothing else." This is a great game, and I hope you get it! Expand
  45. Mar 27, 2013
    Nice game,graphic(i dont care)good weapon store GOOD story,there is a outpost or house must be captured and got a home helping people got medicine its nice to helping people and i almost like it is Hunting Diamond that was i like it Far Cry 2 NICE GAME EVER
  46. Jun 2, 2014
    There is nothing wrong with this game EXCEPT for the bullet-sponge enemies; this I can definitely attest to. Far Cry 2 is tough as nails but if you actually have a backbone then you should be willing to accept the challenge. The hyper-realism in this game really works and the self-op elements such as looking for medicine, fixing your car, repairing your weapons add an amount of tensionThere is nothing wrong with this game EXCEPT for the bullet-sponge enemies; this I can definitely attest to. Far Cry 2 is tough as nails but if you actually have a backbone then you should be willing to accept the challenge. The hyper-realism in this game really works and the self-op elements such as looking for medicine, fixing your car, repairing your weapons add an amount of tension that is truly hard to come by. The environment is eerily barren with the exception of some wildebeest and about 6000 mercenaries. Fire mechanics are something special and the combination of a rapidly spreading fire and a gunfight with twenty mercs never gets old. If you want a really brutal experience that doesn't resort to cheap arcade tricks then give this a try, but this should be required reading for all FPS fans. Expand
  47. Dec 8, 2013
    This is a really fun, really good game. Let's the the AI out of the way first. It's very impressive, the way they react to your every move. If you stumble upon a small outpost of like 5-7 enemies, they might not give chase if you take off right away, but if you charge into a stronghold like outpost, with something like 20 guys, they'll hop into cars and chase you until they kill you, orThis is a really fun, really good game. Let's the the AI out of the way first. It's very impressive, the way they react to your every move. If you stumble upon a small outpost of like 5-7 enemies, they might not give chase if you take off right away, but if you charge into a stronghold like outpost, with something like 20 guys, they'll hop into cars and chase you until they kill you, or you manage to shake them off. The graphics for this game are pretty, and I'm never disappointed with the graphics, I'm just not always in awe, which is okay. The NPC "buddies" system is really cool. If you save a guy from a outpost, in free roam or mission, he will them become your 'buddy". This is cool already, but get this: One time I was running on foot, with little health and no syringes. Suddenly I get brought down from a accurate enemy shot, and then I think i'm dead. After a short black screen, the game comes back to one of my NPC buddies helping me up, and handing me a weapon. Then me and him get into an epic firefight against the remaining 8 enemies. We actually won, but the realistic manner in which the enemy attacked was marvelous. I was amazed how a few of them left to run through the foliage to get a better shooting position on our exposed flanks, while the percentage of the enemies stayed and continued to engage us head-on. My NPC buddy was also very helpful in combat, and he actually killed a couple more guys than I did. The whole firefight lasted something like 10 mins, and to this day was one of the most epic non-scripted video game firefights I've been in. Expand
  48. Sep 28, 2010
    Crap indeed.Dont waste your money in this.It doesnt worth to be played.It destroyes FAR CRY soul the one from the original far cry which is by the way much better.3
  49. Oct 11, 2010
    Stay FAR FAR FAR away from the PC version of this game, not even at a discount price on steam will you feel like you got your moneys worth. The controls are horrible and make the game unplayable and that's just the tip of this iceberg. Even if we look past the bugs of this horrible port, the game you see is merely "decent" but nothing like the original. This is a sequel in name only.
  50. Aug 28, 2012
    Picked it up on the cheap during Steam's summer sale. Heard some good things about it, it was cheap, I like nonlinear open-world type games. And Far Cry 2 has the distinction of being the third time I have ever experience buyer's remorse. This... I don't know how to explain it... I guess the best I can come up with is it plays more like a demonstration of a physics/graphics engine than anPicked it up on the cheap during Steam's summer sale. Heard some good things about it, it was cheap, I like nonlinear open-world type games. And Far Cry 2 has the distinction of being the third time I have ever experience buyer's remorse. This... I don't know how to explain it... I guess the best I can come up with is it plays more like a demonstration of a physics/graphics engine than an actual game. Pretty graphics, some nice gameplay mechanics, but it has two major problems that pretty much ruin it for me.

The first is the story. Which is to say there practically isn't a story. I only played about 4 hours before I dropped it, so it might get better later, but at the point I got to it was just a series of talk to person, go to other side of world, clear camp, rinse and repeat. If you want any kind of story details, you have to pause it and look at your journal. I'm usually alright with that kind of thing, but it just feels really unfulfilling in relation to most other games I've played that have that have journal-type-things.

The second major issue I have is the gameplay. I can look past an absent story if the game is fun to play, I mean I've put over 100 hours in to Team Fortress 2 and I'm not even a big multiplayer type of guy. As I mentioned though, I've only played 4 hours so maybe it gets better, I don't know. But like I mentioned in the story section, every mission plays the same. Talk to guy, go to other side of world, clear camp. It's BEYOND repetitive. Really, the main reason I haven't played past 4 hours is because I got so sick of the gameplay.

Really, everything else in the game to me is minor, those two alone ruined it for me and I'm probably never going to pick up this game again. But, like I said, go it on the cheap so no major damage done.
  51. JiriK
    Jan 9, 2009
    Absolute dissapoitment. Long time drooling about the sequel to great Far Cry game went through the window since I´ve passed third mission. I went to Gas Station for killing roughly 20 men, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station for killing one man, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station ( what a surprise :( ) for finding some papers. How about finding the papers while Absolute dissapoitment. Long time drooling about the sequel to great Far Cry game went through the window since I´ve passed third mission. I went to Gas Station for killing roughly 20 men, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station for killing one man, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station ( what a surprise :( ) for finding some papers. How about finding the papers while I was annihilating the whole area in the first try, Ubisoft? Stupid AI which allows all enemies to know EXACT location of you after firing first shot ( not to mentios enemies in the buildings with no line of sight of me ). Snipers shooting on 400 meters ( got details maxed out, but I cannot see him because of engine limits ), 12 types of cars - no one of it can be handled quite right and the speed 40km/h is not different from 120km/h, absolutely repetitive missions containing 90% of driving/walking and 10% of action ( is this game a trekking/hiking simulator with occasional action or what? ) guns are made nicely, but after 15 minutes I have figured out, that close range weapons are forbidden ... using long range weapons saves lot of time and makes the game easier. Last drop was looking at the Steam forum where I tried to find helpo with frequent crashes and BSODs and found out that last post was two weeks old and the topic was: "Is anybody still playing this game?" My worst invested money for game ever. Ubisoft, learn from your mistakes ... do what you can perfectly ( Prince of Persia ). Expand
  52. Dec 3, 2012
    An island for me to do lots of funny or crazy things thats one of what i need.Although it may takes a feel of bore as time passes by.Seek for diamonds or just sit into a car to drive casualy,complete quests of two opposite forces-a good game.
  53. PaulT.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Totally ruined by the presence of SecuROM and limited activations. Pirates are now enjoying this game free of any hindrance, meanwhile, I'm left with having to hunt for something else. My computer is my business and I will not allow corporate spyware on my machine. This DRM is powerless against piracy and is killing the PC games industry.
  54. DanD.
    Oct 25, 2008
    Very disappointed,the interface is like something out of the 90's, very clumsy. The graphics are washed out and dull( they do this for an effect?)The game play is boring,you have to unload almost a Clip into the bad guy to get him to go down. The Characters run around looking like Forest Gump;) There was so much Hype about it, I feel Ripped Off by the makers and the whole Industry Very disappointed,the interface is like something out of the 90's, very clumsy. The graphics are washed out and dull( they do this for an effect?)The game play is boring,you have to unload almost a Clip into the bad guy to get him to go down. The Characters run around looking like Forest Gump;) There was so much Hype about it, I feel Ripped Off by the makers and the whole Industry really. Next time I'll wait for a Demo before I will ever buy another game. Expand
  55. RadT.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Reading the hype about Farcry2 makes one wonder if the "reputable" reviewers (Powerplay, PCGamer, IGN, Gametrailers) who rave about this game even know what they are talking about, or whether they owed UBIsoft some sort of favour. Clearly thise "professional" reviewers are not evaluating the game objectively --- and once again the aggregate of fan reviews speak the truth about the game. Reading the hype about Farcry2 makes one wonder if the "reputable" reviewers (Powerplay, PCGamer, IGN, Gametrailers) who rave about this game even know what they are talking about, or whether they owed UBIsoft some sort of favour. Clearly thise "professional" reviewers are not evaluating the game objectively --- and once again the aggregate of fan reviews speak the truth about the game. Let's go through this: - Pointless GPS System - Absurd Lighting Changes - Retarded AI - No stealth attacks - Stiff Animation, esp. animals - Slow controls - Repititive Gameplay - Cliched Story: Track the "The Jackal" - Cliched Music: Ooh, it's tribal chanting! How expected. - Cliched autonavigation intro that every FPS since Half-Life always seems to use... - Glowing Weapons and Ammo: Immersion please? - Console-Style save system - You spend more time driving than playing as a shooter - Inability to focus clearly on visual details while driving/being cabbed - Character Portraits copy each other in look and pose - No women in the Farcry2 Universe - Over-sensitized in-game mouse speed relative to the menu sensitivity - Overall Conceptual Ripoff of the film "Blood Diamond" - Not to mention SecuROM - I could go on, but why bother? On the plus side you get: - Sometimes stunning visuals. - Better Vehicle Control than the original FarCry. This game is fit with the same stuff Valusoft makes for 19.99, not as the "GAME OF THE YEAR" most "professional" reviewers make it out to be. Don't believe the hype. Expand
  56. TonyL
    Oct 1, 2009
    What a disappointment this was. I've never beaten it and don't even play it anymore, I just use it as a benchmark now. I got to 35% and thought it was going to get better but it didn't. We really got ripped off for such a hyped up game. This game shouldn't even be named "Far Cry" 2. Believe the users and avoid this game! Do not waste your money on this unless it's What a disappointment this was. I've never beaten it and don't even play it anymore, I just use it as a benchmark now. I got to 35% and thought it was going to get better but it didn't. We really got ripped off for such a hyped up game. This game shouldn't even be named "Far Cry" 2. Believe the users and avoid this game! Do not waste your money on this unless it's $9.99 I give the game a 2 just because the graphics are above decent and advanced benchmark. Everything else about it sucks. Expand
  57. NickS.
    Nov 2, 2008
    The only interesting thing about this game is how it managed to get so many good "professional" reviews. To begin with the game should not be called far cry 2 as it has ZERO to do with far cry. A cash in attempt. No need to discuss further. Just mindless running around, gfx boring and drab. console port.
  58. AlexejOvtcharenko
    Nov 20, 2008
    Good graphics, thats all. Story is most 5 points of 10, but the worst thing is that multiplayer does not work, you cant joint any online severs, ubisoft support just makes some strange sudgestions in 1 week now without any solution like to change region in windows to US. Well i played this game to play online and now i cant even join any servers. worst game ever, worst support ever.
  59. Joe
    Nov 1, 2009
    First of all, i totaly agree with the reviewer below that you should never trust ratings from any company,magazine etc. They get payed to give good ratings. The only thing decent (not great) about this game is the graphics. Everything else is utterly crap. The AI is one of the baddest AI i have encounterd in the last 8 years. The enemies are soo inmensely stupid. when your in crouch mode First of all, i totaly agree with the reviewer below that you should never trust ratings from any company,magazine etc. They get payed to give good ratings. The only thing decent (not great) about this game is the graphics. Everything else is utterly crap. The AI is one of the baddest AI i have encounterd in the last 8 years. The enemies are soo inmensely stupid. when your in crouch mode the enemy will stand next to you even though you are in the open without any cover. Jumping and climbing in the game is impossible. your character can't even jump over a wood log that is like 10 centimeters high. The missions are incredibily lame and repetitive. Almost all misions are either kill someone, blow up something or delever something. all missions takes place on the opposite side of the map wich makes it suck even more then it already does. Obviously the developers did that to stretch out the game. without that the game could be finished in about 20 hours. To go to a mission you have to drive to it. The car brakes down like a zillion times during the game...everytime you have to get out of the car and fix it...and then you can drive again.also every 10 minutes you have to take a malaria pill otherwise you have blured vision.Voice acting is also pretty awefull and the same goes for the whole thin story line.The weapons that are available for you are overpowered.Basicly you only have to use the grenade launcer and you can easely kill anyone that stands in your way.Well, i can go on and on about how bad this game is, but i wont. I gave it 2 stars for the graphics and the fact that it is a decent representation of how africa looks like. Other then that the game is crap. The developers of this game should be ashamed of them selfs. Do not buy this game. Expand
  60. MikeyJ
    Nov 5, 2009
    This game had lots of potential, but it clearly missed the mark, my guess from the lack of detail in some areas is that the game was unfinished to an extent, for example: a mission for a an NPC 'buddy' you can do involves killing a refinery guard that mugged him, and the target's character skin is an old european guy in a suit...wtf, im not kidding. theres more situations This game had lots of potential, but it clearly missed the mark, my guess from the lack of detail in some areas is that the game was unfinished to an extent, for example: a mission for a an NPC 'buddy' you can do involves killing a refinery guard that mugged him, and the target's character skin is an old european guy in a suit...wtf, im not kidding. theres more situations like that too throughout the game, most at least a bit less obvious though. the game most DEFINITELY was NOT tested for bugs, which made it nearly unplayable for 8 months before a patch came, and there is still a risk of crashes at some certain points in the game. if it were not for the crashes and other bugs the game would've been at least enjoyable to an extent, but theres alot of bad design choices ubisoft poured into the game too, movement and aiming at times feels stiff, and it gets no better when concerning transportation, as invisible walls keep you from entering interesting areas(mind this is supposed to be an 'open world' game) and the main roads are filled with patrols and guard posts that will slow progress drastically, and break flow of gameplay. The stealth system in the game is almost non-existant (enemies can see you 2 miles away hiding behind about a dozen trees). What really killed it for me though was the fact that enemies- even guys dressed in nothing but shorts and a ranger hat will take 15-30 rounds from a high powered automatic rifle to kill, slowing action and making it seem more like i was trying to kill a tank in each gunfight. i could go on about the issues this game has, repetitive misions, bad ending with player forced to do things contrary to the whole story's original purpose, no point to really visit alot of areas other than pick up a diamond or two, etc etc. ask almost anyone who owns this game what they think of it as a whole and i'll guarantee you they'll suggest it's tedious, miserable, and most deinitely not worth your money. i've lost all trust in ubisoft after they released this, the purpose of games is to entertain, i wasn't entertained, i ended up screaming at the TV and contempleting throwing the far cry 2 disc into my microwave. if you haven't bought this game yet already, then don't, its an abomination Expand
  61. ZeeKat
    Dec 20, 2009
    This game managed to put me off completely in a few hours. Game has looks, but instanly respawning enemies and magically appearing enemy jeeps are complete fun breakers. Hours of driving around and killing the same people all over again is no fun. Don't forget sophisticated storyline which basically means whole Africa wants to kill you on sight. I love the nonlinear gameplay and open This game managed to put me off completely in a few hours. Game has looks, but instanly respawning enemies and magically appearing enemy jeeps are complete fun breakers. Hours of driving around and killing the same people all over again is no fun. Don't forget sophisticated storyline which basically means whole Africa wants to kill you on sight. I love the nonlinear gameplay and open world, but this one sucks a lot. Far Cry brand should be left in Crytek's hands I guess. Expand
  62. Gavan
    Dec 8, 2009
    Its not a dire game so much as incredibly frustrating that so much that could have been there is just left out. And for no reason. How much effort would it have taken to have included a story, not even a good one, just any form. Or some characters. Or a few decent set pieces. The game amounts to driving (a lot) shooting some mercenaries and driving some more. repeat that for as long as it Its not a dire game so much as incredibly frustrating that so much that could have been there is just left out. And for no reason. How much effort would it have taken to have included a story, not even a good one, just any form. Or some characters. Or a few decent set pieces. The game amounts to driving (a lot) shooting some mercenaries and driving some more. repeat that for as long as it takes you to get bored. The critics reviews are a joke as almost all of them ignore the serious and deep flaws in the game. Very few balanced reviews to be found of this game. Expand
  63. TeeJay
    Sep 30, 2009
    Nonsensical story, annoying respawning checkpoints, game is not moddable, malaria is annoying, map obstucts screen, tiny viewable area when driving, enemy AI when in vehicles is idiotic, invisible walls on all hills, can only take on one mission at a time, game designers tried to milk mileage by assigning each mission at far side of map requiring endless drudgery getting there and back. Nonsensical story, annoying respawning checkpoints, game is not moddable, malaria is annoying, map obstucts screen, tiny viewable area when driving, enemy AI when in vehicles is idiotic, invisible walls on all hills, can only take on one mission at a time, game designers tried to milk mileage by assigning each mission at far side of map requiring endless drudgery getting there and back. Lack of anything interesting to find (information or objects) or much to explore. The good points are the graphics and the gun-play/shooting aspects, but the rest is so annoying that I had to stop playing after 20%. Very poor game. Expand
  64. DH
    Nov 11, 2009
    If I could only use one word to describe this game it would be "boring". I never finished it because it was so incredibly dull to play.. wait, no, a better word for this would be "repetitive" - which is the reason why it's boring (protip: a GAME should not be BORING). The AI is terrible, suicidal and detrimental to the experience - in a sandbox game, decent AI is an absolute If I could only use one word to describe this game it would be "boring". I never finished it because it was so incredibly dull to play.. wait, no, a better word for this would be "repetitive" - which is the reason why it's boring (protip: a GAME should not be BORING). The AI is terrible, suicidal and detrimental to the experience - in a sandbox game, decent AI is an absolute priority. I think this game is a good example of the problems the large majority of the gaming industry has in determining what makes a game good. It would seem that the developers threw all their creative efforts into making this game LOOK good, rather than PLAY good. I've also noticed what I believe to be Ubisoft's staff posting positive reviews under the users section; shame on you. Expand
  65. OL
    Sep 23, 2009
    I bought this game looking forward to having lots of fun, as every review I read online and on youtube gave it a thumbs up. I could not believe that they actually pretended the game had a storyline. I was in denial, because after spending 30 bucks getting the game I forced myself to like it, but other than the graphics, there is nothing to like. People on this game absorb lead, and I bought this game looking forward to having lots of fun, as every review I read online and on youtube gave it a thumbs up. I could not believe that they actually pretended the game had a storyline. I was in denial, because after spending 30 bucks getting the game I forced myself to like it, but other than the graphics, there is nothing to like. People on this game absorb lead, and headdshots are very rare.... No one did their research on gun calibres as a 9mm is weaker than a 5.56mm in this game.It is painfully repetitive, and I though someone must have made the ending as a joke. Someone at Ubisoft must be laughing about how they managed to trick thousands upon thousands of people into buying such glorified trash. I no longer trust any companies that review game, and shall stick to player reviews only. Save your money for a real, enjoyable game, as this will only dissappoint you. Expand
  66. Matt
    Nov 22, 2009
    1 for effort... or no effort. I certainly liked the feeling of hiding from enemies in the first far cry. You could stumble upon an enemy or intentionally, and then hide in a bush or whatever to allude them and then blow out their brains. You could lie down to get away from enemy fire. You could run farther and faster. There was a story line. There were real battles that varied. There was 1 for effort... or no effort. I certainly liked the feeling of hiding from enemies in the first far cry. You could stumble upon an enemy or intentionally, and then hide in a bush or whatever to allude them and then blow out their brains. You could lie down to get away from enemy fire. You could run farther and faster. There was a story line. There were real battles that varied. There was minimal time wasted driving around. There were no meaningless battles. Far Cry 2 is a 'far cry' from Far Cry 1. It screams for help everytime I play it. It just wants to be a real game... but I can't help it. It struggles to excite me and cannot. It moans in pain to be fun and yet cannot be. It needed more love as an infant. Someone just didn't have a college fund for this baby! I wanted so bad for it to play like they said it would, 'A real experience' they even said, 'As close to the real thing ever'.... Ever??? Nope. It's not really that close. I enjoyed the online play for a while, but then that was too repetative also. Its a game that could've gone far if the developers had spent a few more hours on it. I hope far cry 3 is better. Far Cry 1 was my favorite game, so I had high expectations for 2. What a let down. Paid near 60$ for the game. Bought a big pile of poop. So what is all this meaningless bable???? It's far cry 2! Expand
  67. Sep 29, 2010
    Far Cry 2 is an absolute disappointment to anyone and everyone. The entire game is tedious at best driving for 80% of the game only stopping to kill the odd generic henchmen with bad A.I, It has nothing to do with the original game at all. Ubisoft simply made this game to milk money from fans of the original game. This games not worth bothering with, save your money.
  68. Dec 3, 2012
    A title that unfortunely had a bit of a wild tango dance during the development face, not knowing whether it wants to be dumbed down for the masses or stay true to difficulty and we end up with this horibly spread-out hybrid between an MMORPG with infinite enemy spawns and an single-player RPG shooter. It's not realistic, It's not immersive and It certainly does not posess a quality enemyA title that unfortunely had a bit of a wild tango dance during the development face, not knowing whether it wants to be dumbed down for the masses or stay true to difficulty and we end up with this horibly spread-out hybrid between an MMORPG with infinite enemy spawns and an single-player RPG shooter. It's not realistic, It's not immersive and It certainly does not posess a quality enemy AI. Stay away from this one unless you can try it before purchase. Expand
  69. Sep 3, 2014
    Unpopular opinon: I like Far Cry 2 more than Far Cry 3.

The cons first: - Super repetitious gameplay. Once you clear an outpost, it stays clear until you enter a safe house and save your game, then it repopulates with guards. This wouldn't be as annoying if you didn't spend as much time driving as you did. - You spend too much time driving around. - Outpost guards chase you
    Unpopular opinon: I like Far Cry 2 more than Far Cry 3.

The cons first:
    - You spend too much time driving around.
    - Outpost guards chase you 100% of the time if you don't painstakingly clear them out first.
    - The game's story is the same no matter which character you pick.
    - Malaria is pointless and only services the Heart of Darkness subtext.
    - The world is empty. No civilians, virtually no wildlife.
    - There is little reason to explore.
    - Side quests feel like filler.

The good:
    + The weapons are diverse and fun to use.
    + Gun play is very fun.
    + The world is super detailed and the graphics have held up really well.
    + Dylan's mod and graphics enhancement mods add to these strengths.

With so few positives, why do I like this game more than Far Cry 3? Like Far Cary 3, 2's story is very much a descent into madness. The Heart of Darkness overtones beat you over the head, yet the journey into madness is much more subtle. There are no hallucinogenic mushroom sequences and no schizophrenic QTE boss encounters or combat with a giant lava beast here. Only a man with malaria alone in a hostile (if empty) wilderness trying not to die. The realism mods that exist for this game improve combat and make many of the repetitive gameplay elements more endurable. I've had a lot of fun replaying this game with Dylan's mod for the added challenge. Stealth is also more viable with this mod whereas before it was basically broken.
  70. Jun 6, 2012
    1 Point for being original another for creatively controlling fire effects...but that's it. This game is mind numbingly boring. Second the "it's open ended" is complete garbage. If I take the left street to work, instead of the right, I'm still going to work. Furthermore the choices you make have ZERO impact on the extremely linear story. It doesn't matter if you save all of Africa, have a1 Point for being original another for creatively controlling fire effects...but that's it. This game is mind numbingly boring. Second the "it's open ended" is complete garbage. If I take the left street to work, instead of the right, I'm still going to work. Furthermore the choices you make have ZERO impact on the extremely linear story. It doesn't matter if you save all of Africa, have a trash can full of blood diamonds to share, or improved your "friendship" with someone to 99999, NONE OF IT MATTERS. The story writers should be ashamed! Finally, the mechanics are extremely poor. The same truck will come the same way every time. For some reason the armies build the same shacks back you JUST blew up 10 seconds ago if you venture to far out. This becomes EXTREMELY annoying as it's simply a grind of killing meaningless people. I have no clue how this game received an 85 rating. I doubt very seriously that the game reviewers actually finished the game. I did. And both endings sucked. 4.99 for this game is a rip off. Save your money. Expand
  71. Jul 17, 2012
    this game has good graphics visual, but sometimes that's not all that importa.é very repetitive, and go kill somebody and then people are there again, you lose a lot of time to walk hundreds of kilometers, and on arrival the target is to do the same thing as the other vezes.estou desapontado.desculpem errors, but I'm Portuguese
  72. Oct 16, 2012
    Wow, this game is realy nice, the graphic are magic and the story is amazing. This a game for player that like fallout or RPG game. This is fantastic and the third is coming soon :)
  73. Nov 13, 2012
    Certainly not a game for everyone, this game challenges your imagination. While it does feel like a bunch of land with very few missions, you create your own fun. Use your sniper and go big game hunting, find every diamond briefcase, etc....There are almost no limits in this game. Plus, this game has some of the best gunplay i've ever seen . 31 weapons (with DLC) and i've tried themCertainly not a game for everyone, this game challenges your imagination. While it does feel like a bunch of land with very few missions, you create your own fun. Use your sniper and go big game hunting, find every diamond briefcase, etc....There are almost no limits in this game. Plus, this game has some of the best gunplay i've ever seen . 31 weapons (with DLC) and i've tried them all. Like all, and use all except for about 5. Sure, some of the missions are repetitive, but most shooters have this mechanic of "go here and shoot." This game allows you to approach the objective from literally any angle, with any plan of attack, making each battle feel fresh. Expand
  74. May 1, 2014
    Brilliant game. No fancy schmancy crafting. No lame RPG crap. No HUD. No hand holding. No Jason Brody. FC2 is the essence of immersive gaming. Clean, beautiful, realistic.
  75. Sep 26, 2013
    A misunderstood game. People bash it for being repetitive, when it's really no more repetitive than the player.
    The progress you get for doing missions are diamonds, which means new equipment, which means new ways to approach and deal with what Africa throws at you. It gives you plenty of toys, but it seems the average player sticks with the full-auto approach the whole way through.

The AI is not dumb, the game just isn't holding your hand with visual/audible pointers of how close you are to being spotted.
    They can get suspicious, team up to search the area they saw something in, or they'll deem it safe enough to check out alone.
    They'll carry their wounded, hear a body dropping to the ground if it's close enough, they'll attack the last position they saw you in, they'll lose track of you.
    Is it night? They'll have a harder time seeing you.
    Is it windy and/or raining? They'll have a harder time seeing you.
    Is it broad daylight? Take big detours and watch out for snipers if you want to stay hidden.
    That's a heck of a lot more intelligence than the average FPS.
    They also feel human compared to other shooters, they'll shoot the breeze with each other when undisturbed, communicate with each other under combat, pep-talk, become terrified as they realize they're on their own with a guy who just killed everyone they worked with.

The game has flaws, such as enemies re-spawning when you get a certain distance away from a checkpoint (really though Far Cry 3's system meant there was nothing to do in an area ever again after clearing them). The lack of any friendly AI, and overly aggressive drivers that will not stop chasing you. The weapon degradation system is incomplete, with the only way to avoid it is to grab a new gun often. The malaria attacks doesn't really add anything but an annoyance. The buddy rescue system is a genius second-chance mechanic that won't abruptly end your story, but other than that the buddies are shallow and without use.

Immerse yourself in a game that 'll never take you out of your character's view, you'll reach out to grab stuff, you'll snap fingers back into place, pull shrapnel and bullets out of your arm. Watch your character pull and bang on his weapon when they jam. Even the shop shows you pull out the chair and sit down in front of an old monochrome monitor.
    Plan ahead with your equipment, scout the locations to look for opportunities, and watch the game react to your actions. There's nothing like starting a fire at a safe distance, and hear the AI panic, only to later have a rocket stash ignite and send rockets everywhere.
    The missions are simple because it's up to you to make it interesting with the mechanics the game provides. The world is a box of fireworks waiting to go off one by one. Don't put on blinders and look straight at the mission objective, the mission is also to get there. The journey is part of the mission, part of your story.

Overall, if you're the kind of person who likes to put some thought and creativity into his shooting, hates being led by the nose in his FPS, a game you can play over and over without it ever being the same, there's no game that will reward you more than Far Cry 2. And it remains my all-time top 5 single-player game.
  76. FirstLast
    Dec 12, 2008
    This game is just plain awful. It's obvious what type of people they're trying to appeal to with the whole Grand Theft Auto aura of the game. I burst out laughing when I saw something along the lines of "You have gained X reputation points!" The fact that it is rated so highly goes to show how crooked the gaming industry has become. The average score is in the high 80's (to This game is just plain awful. It's obvious what type of people they're trying to appeal to with the whole Grand Theft Auto aura of the game. I burst out laughing when I saw something along the lines of "You have gained X reputation points!" The fact that it is rated so highly goes to show how crooked the gaming industry has become. The average score is in the high 80's (to give you an idea of how significant that is, Unreal Tournament 2003 has the same score), but the USER score is in the low 50's. Someone is getting paid to put pretty numbers on this crap. Either that, or the gaming industry has finally been rid of creative talent by this overly conservative trend in gaming (corporations avoiding risk, so the same ideas with slight modifications are recycled over and over). Expand
  77. Aug 17, 2010
    Everyone seems to be made of armor and stealthing is impossible at times. This would be fun if it had a working coop, but otherwise it's just too bland. So bland you can't even describe how bland and boring it is. This game falls under the "Could not finish because it was painful" list.
  78. Nov 28, 2010
    I tried hard to like this game. Very rarely do I not complete a game unless it is boring or repetitive. Unfortunately this game is both.

The game makes you travel between locations to achieve a mission update. So you will pass by checkpoints and strongholds numerous times in order to get to certain target zones. Here lies the problem... The way enemies respawn is distance based,

The way enemies respawn is distance based, not time-based- thus it is totally unrealistic, annoying, and multiplies the difficulty of the game. For example: you will approach many checkpoints in the game during your travels. You will see the enemies goofing off, tying their shoelaces or smoking a cig which apparently gives you the initial element of surprise. You attack the checkpoint, killing the first guy and INSTANTLY after that, the remaining enemies make the experience as difficult as they can for you. You take some damage, but kill every last enemy in the place with your machine gun. You just torched the cp with Molotov's and blew the place up with grenades. Now, if you leave the area and turn the corner, then suddenly realize you are heading the wrong direction and need to turn back... guess what? The enemies have come back to life. Even more unrealistic, they will be goofing off again, tying their shoelaces and smoking a cig. There will be no sign of your previous battle anywhere. You will have to fight them all over again in order to continue. How realistic is that? Respawns will occur and there is no limit. So if you take the same path from your mission giver, to the target zone, and back- you will engage every CP and roaming patrol along your path at least twice. They will be the same exact enemies again and again, tedious and boring. I've tried the stealth approach as well, by crouching and slowly advancing through bushes and stuff. It is so boring and sometimes a sniper starts shooting at you from hundreds of yards away so you take damage anyway. Some areas cannot be passed by using stealth, so you are forced to attack or take tons of damage.

It seems everything I did was absolutely useless and has no effect in the world. I almost got though act 1 in this game. But after killing the same guys in the same checkpoints 2, 3 times for each mission it became very mundane. It would not have been difficult to implement at least a 24-hour respawn timer but the developer didn't. I still remember how confused I was after completing the first mission. I had just wiped out an entire camp enemies about 8 guys, fought them tooth and nail for about 3, 4 minutes. I went back to the mission giver and completed the mission. I get the next target zone for my next mission, and realize after looking at the map, that the area I had just cleared was one of two potential paths to take even though it was a slightly longer distance. Since I had killed everyone earlier, I thought it wouldn't be a problem to take that path since it was safe. I didn't even get 10 feet into the camp before I was shredded by a hail of gunfire. Game over. That was my first impression of the game and it still is.
  79. Aug 11, 2014
    Just an unforgettable open world FPS game. Amazing African landscapes graphics. The shooting is realistic, as well as fire and explosions. The ability of driving vehicles and boats. You can use them to escape if you wish, but they are vulnerable against bullets and rockets. The repairing is ridiculous but I can close my eyes on that one. The scenario is a bit repetitive but not boring. FarJust an unforgettable open world FPS game. Amazing African landscapes graphics. The shooting is realistic, as well as fire and explosions. The ability of driving vehicles and boats. You can use them to escape if you wish, but they are vulnerable against bullets and rockets. The repairing is ridiculous but I can close my eyes on that one. The scenario is a bit repetitive but not boring. Far Cry 2 is an amazing video game that worth to be played more than once. Expand
  80. Sep 9, 2013
    Far Cry 2 is a flawed gem: a blood diamond in the rough, if you will. It's repetitive, frustrating and outright illogical in its design at times, and yet it manages to still be a good game: a solid game even.
    It's different to the first Far Cry in a lot of ways, and more punishing than FC3 so it falls into its own niche in the series.
    Graphically, it's one of the best of 2008. The jungle
    Graphically, it's one of the best of 2008. The jungle environments are lush and the lighting effects are gorgeous. It's gritty and realistic but done better than the majority of brown and bloom shooters.
    Gunplay is tight and brutal and rewards sneaking up on enemies. Having a friend/companion with you makes it all the more fun, and it can get really
    There is an emphasis on exploration and while it is rewarding and fun to find new locations your primary means of transport is a jeep. This would be fine if the driving mechanics weren't so awful.
    The survival elements are well designed and for the most part well implemented. There are also elements that make no sense, an example being guard outposts simply respawning their guards ridiculously quickly. A better way to do handle this could have involved new guards driving out the outpost from bases and replacing the old one: even if this happened in real-time it would take longer than vanilla FC2's magically respawning guards.
    All in all Far Cry 2 is nowhere near perfect but gets criticized a lot harder than I believe it should and I definitely recommend trying it out, especially if you played 3 and wanted something harder.
  81. Sep 1, 2011
    Its hard for a game to come by around me and get a 0 as I always look for the positive things in video games. Far Cry 2 is just... unacceptable. The first problem is the name. Do not be fooled, this is NOT Far Cry AT ALL. Far Cry 1 was Crytek's baby; a first person shooter centered around one guy who had his normal research out in the sea turn to **** when a group of mercenaries inhabitingIts hard for a game to come by around me and get a 0 as I always look for the positive things in video games. Far Cry 2 is just... unacceptable. The first problem is the name. Do not be fooled, this is NOT Far Cry AT ALL. Far Cry 1 was Crytek's baby; a first person shooter centered around one guy who had his normal research out in the sea turn to **** when a group of mercenaries inhabiting a nearby island blow up his boat. The premise was simple; a man wearing a bright red Hawaiian shirt is trying to escape, but finds out the secrets about the mutated creatures. The game featured an open environment for players to take different approaches in order to progress through each level. And with it, level design that actually created atmosphere, developed certain characters, manipulated the environment around you, the works. Far Cry 2 has none of that. Replace Jack Carver with a mute that has a Malaria and is out to find a weapons dealer. Mutants? What mutants? Character? Lol what character? It's sad because when starting the game you do have a set of different people to choose from, each with their own unique bio. But all that really means is that while playing, the your character's arms will be different. Any character you don't choose becomes an AI friend you can assign to help you out during combat later on. However, which ever one you choose will be mute and have malaria, even when the AI versions have voice actors and are perfectly healthy. What is the POINT? I'm trying to play a game, not manage a god damn illness. This game is just a simplistic shooter that hides itself under layers of complex illusions. The only bit of story and atmospheric build up is right in the beginning when you learn about rising tensions between two African factions that could cause a war any moment thanks to your cab driver. Then you get into town, your malaria bugs you and then you are given an introduction to our baddie. Then a war erupts in the town. After that... well there are no more civilians and not one friendly face. Instead, every single person you see is a member of one of the 2 factions. Which leads me to my biggest complaint: The missions. You can accept missions from both factions, but surprise surprise, you have no allies depending on the faction you are doing a job for. And its not a case of them cutting you some slack later on and saying, "Our boys won't do harm to you." No. Its every **** time. It really feels like Ubisoft was too lazy to code any friendly AI apart from the one "friend" you can select. Biggest complaint #2: Getting to your objectives. Far Cry 2 has no level design, and instead we get free roaming. What does that really mean? Drive from one area of the map to another. Although every inch of Africa can be explored, your vehicle obviously can't travel over a mountain or through trees. So you're stuck on the roads. But here's the worst part: EVERY BODY DESPISES YOU. At any given point while driving, you see a vehicle on the road, don't assume its a civilian. The only people that are driving are members of the 2 factions, and the minute they see you they will floor the gas and open fire on you. Why? Who cares! It wastes the player's time and gives them the sense the game is longer than what it really is right! This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE IS FASTER THAN YOU. That's right, you can't outrun them. While you're locked to a cruising speed, enemies in a damn flat bed truck can drive faster than you. So its really 1-2 minutes of driving, 3-4 minutes trying to save yourself from being killed and searching for a new vehicle. Wash, rinse, repeat. And it traps you into thinking check points are safe where you can pull up and show ID to the people. But no, checkpoints = 6 men stationed there are ready to kick your ass. And while you may have cleared that checkpoint or area full of enemies, guess what? They respawn back there again. Its padding, and its obvious. The worst part... the level design, or should I say the lack there of. Every mission in the game is just driving to a certain location, killing a bunch of randomly placed NPCs and then driving on back (while still being shot at by cars and checkpoints). That's it, nothing more. Far Cry 2 does offer side objectives you can accomplish in order to unlock new weapons and stuff of that sort.... but let me give you a little run down of the gun merchant side quest. Every merchant will offer a new weapon if you can stop this convoy that's transporting guns. Ok, sounds cool, some actual mission design perhaps? But no. Instead, you get a line of 3 trucks that just drive around IN A GOD DAMN CIRCLE ENDLESSLY UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY STOP IT. This game is so basic, its disgusting. The graphics are the only decent thing about this game, and some cool aesthetics such as over 100 different animations for fixing yourself from bleeding out on the last segment of your health bar. Shallow, do not buy. Expand
  82. Mar 3, 2013
    This game is amazing. The whole country is detailed and beautiful, the guns are realistic and the AI is pro. The country is amazing because of the realistic graphics and details are put in everywhere. The guns are realistic because if you steal guns from bodies, they may not work and can jam and such, so unlike most FPS games, you will find yourself buying new guns when you already have aThis game is amazing. The whole country is detailed and beautiful, the guns are realistic and the AI is pro. The country is amazing because of the realistic graphics and details are put in everywhere. The guns are realistic because if you steal guns from bodies, they may not work and can jam and such, so unlike most FPS games, you will find yourself buying new guns when you already have a used model of the same gun. Finally, the AI is pro because of how they respond to anything, if there is only a few of them and you are running away, they will let you go, if there is like 7 of them they will pursue you and do everything possible to kill you, including drive you off the road or smash their car into yours. They will also use flanking maneuvers and split up. If thats not enough, the whole game is free roam and theres a whole bunch of NPC "buddies" that have different storys and can help you. This is a great game Collapse Expand
  83. ERB
    Jul 29, 2013
    Why does users hate this I mean It is an enjoyable game and very addicting as well.
  84. ConalM-D
    Jan 20, 2009
    After playing FC2 for a couple of days I searched for other gamers opinions on a game which I was still in denial about. The first 5 minutes gave me a giddy rush of excitement as your character is driven through the war-torn country and all you can do is admire your surroundings...from here it all goes downhill! All my problems have already been raised by others however I played it on 360 After playing FC2 for a couple of days I searched for other gamers opinions on a game which I was still in denial about. The first 5 minutes gave me a giddy rush of excitement as your character is driven through the war-torn country and all you can do is admire your surroundings...from here it all goes downhill! All my problems have already been raised by others however I played it on 360 but must comment on this page to tell all you PC gamers that the game is equally as bad on consoles. After previously buying all my games on my PC, I know how frustrating a console port can be but in this case it's not that it's a bad port but put simply, it's just a terrible game. Expand
  85. ACCol
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game gets a 3 for graphics the intro and advertising....THATS IT! This game is worse then Super Mario Bros. 3. It's GTA 2 rehashed with better graphics except you only get Jeeps and Pintos as your vehicles of choice. The weapons are fun for a while but blow up in your hands while you are killing your thousandth mercenary. The quests suck and are completely unimaginative. TheThis game gets a 3 for graphics the intro and advertising....THATS IT! This game is worse then Super Mario Bros. 3. It's GTA 2 rehashed with better graphics except you only get Jeeps and Pintos as your vehicles of choice. The weapons are fun for a while but blow up in your hands while you are killing your thousandth mercenary. The quests suck and are completely unimaginative. The story sucks because it's completely unengaging...not worth suffering of hours and hours of boredom and repetition to actually see what happens. The characters seemed cool at first but then they end up falling into the 'repetitive' category. THIS GAME IS SIMPLY A 'SEQUEL' MEANT TO FLEECE FPS JUNKIES OF CASH AND LAUGH IN YOUR FACE WHILE UBISOFT RAKES IT IN. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! DON'T LET UBISOFT MAKE YOU THEIR BITCH! Expand
  86. CMorris
    Dec 2, 2008
    With a modding SDK this game could have had a lot forgiven; it's one of the best engines I've ever played; but some terrible compromises were made in design stages that should never have gotten past alpha. for every 5-10 minutes you spend doing a well designed, interesting mission, you spend an hour driving around, stopping every 500 yards to kill a car of random people who heardWith a modding SDK this game could have had a lot forgiven; it's one of the best engines I've ever played; but some terrible compromises were made in design stages that should never have gotten past alpha. for every 5-10 minutes you spend doing a well designed, interesting mission, you spend an hour driving around, stopping every 500 yards to kill a car of random people who heard your engine and as such decided you must die, who will respawn INSTANTLY so that even during the mission you're driving to the same camp could end up attacking you again. Add to this the fact that only the main story missions are interestiing (every side quest is the same one of 3-4)
    The current fast travel system takes the game from unplayable to irritating. Which is why Far Cry 2 was one of the biggest disappointments of the year.
  87. PeteR.
    Oct 29, 2008
    This is the most overrated game of the year. When / If UBI wonder why PC game sales are so low, they should ask themselves (hint: not because of piracy). To UBI: PC gamers don't want dumbed down, repetitive simpletons. This "game" has no story, no logic, advertised civil war doesn't exist in game (and you're the most hated person in Africa for no apparent reason). Dumbed This is the most overrated game of the year. When / If UBI wonder why PC game sales are so low, they should ask themselves (hint: not because of piracy). To UBI: PC gamers don't want dumbed down, repetitive simpletons. This "game" has no story, no logic, advertised civil war doesn't exist in game (and you're the most hated person in Africa for no apparent reason). Dumbed down console controls and restrictive DRM turning people to piracy on top of everything. This game is not worth wasting bandwidth on downloading, not mentioning buying this crap. I could go on a lot of what's wrong with it, but PC owners that commented 6 or less, already listed most of it. Far Crap 2 ? Rather GTA: Kongo. Expand
  88. dylanu
    Oct 30, 2008
    My 4 outof 10 is for visual only, People that say this game is good either have not played it or like driving for to long and shooting check points. The aiming system is shit the ai is useless its a first person shooter not lets wander around look at the sights shoot someone the come back past and they are back what a waste of money and time.
  89. RayM
    Jan 4, 2009
    HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Missions are boring and repetitve. The personal gun storage is stupid (pick a gun off its rack on the wall and another magically appears in its place). The whole game is unrealistic, the AI is mediocre, every single person you see instantly goes berserk trying to kill you, everything is NOT destructible (only about half the trees are, and there are still some smallish HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Missions are boring and repetitve. The personal gun storage is stupid (pick a gun off its rack on the wall and another magically appears in its place). The whole game is unrealistic, the AI is mediocre, every single person you see instantly goes berserk trying to kill you, everything is NOT destructible (only about half the trees are, and there are still some smallish trees that will bring a fast moving jeep to a sudden stop). Open world was a horrible choice, and the main plot is retarded. The only thing this game is good for is for a quick 30 minutes of stress relief consisting of driving around running people over, which by far is the most efficient way to kill (and fortunately these African rebels are somehow all equipped with military jeeps with unlimited ammo for the mounted gun). The fire is neato at first, but it burns out too quickly - they just didn't go far enough with this game. I don't know why they called it Far Cry -- it has nothing whatsoever to do with the original, which, despite corny plot and voice acting, was a masterpiece compared to this piece of s***. Also, I think it was a huge mistake to go for the M rating on this game - it appeals to the 10-12 yo demographic. My 12 year old brother loved it! If you are looking for an open world game with great AI, try STALKER or STALKER Clear Sky (be sure to quick-save, because you don't have a "buddy" to wipe your @$$ in STALKER). Wait til FarCry2 goes on sale for $10 before you waste your money. It's funny how the average user score is like 50% versus the metascore of 86 -- obviously a sign that for-pay video game critics are too afraid to offend a sponsor/advertiser to give an honest review. Expand
  90. KelvinK
    Mar 1, 2009
    Graphics are great, but the African setting is far too brown for those of use who absolutely loved the beauty of the tropics in the original Far Cry and Crysis. The controls of a PC don't translate well to a game that requires you to drive vehicles for the majority of the game. I dread picking up a mission far away because it means I'm going to be in a firefight at the same 5-10 Graphics are great, but the African setting is far too brown for those of use who absolutely loved the beauty of the tropics in the original Far Cry and Crysis. The controls of a PC don't translate well to a game that requires you to drive vehicles for the majority of the game. I dread picking up a mission far away because it means I'm going to be in a firefight at the same 5-10 checkpoints against the same enemies I've already killed 52 times before... boring! I hate that fact that I can't carry an assault rifle and a sniper rifle, yet I CAN carry an assault rifle and a missle launcher. What's up with that? Let me choose which weapons I equip! Stealth is made irrelevant in this gameplay. Overall very disappointing. Expand
  91. ChrisD
    Apr 13, 2009
    How the hell did this game get a good review? Here
  92. mervynt
    Mar 2, 2010
    Crap, annoying AI, digging bullets out of your leg when there are a dozen people around you, milaria when there are a dozen people around you, wild animals running into the road when your trying to get away from the enemy, the crap the enemy talk, when you snipe one they all hide, you cannot then pick them off at a distance so wheres the shotgun when you need it, shoot a guy with a Crap, annoying AI, digging bullets out of your leg when there are a dozen people around you, milaria when there are a dozen people around you, wild animals running into the road when your trying to get away from the enemy, the crap the enemy talk, when you snipe one they all hide, you cannot then pick them off at a distance so wheres the shotgun when you need it, shoot a guy with a shotgun point blank and he just looks at you, people standing still when you are clearly in their sights, annoying hand movements when you are about to set of a bomb, dying when jumping into water from about ten feet up from water. would have liked a torch, maybe i havent got that far yet, but i like to have a scope and close range weapon, i never use a pistol, the map is utter crap, when i used the xbox 360 controller game still telling me which keyboard keys to press, some annoying pop up, same terrible repeating tune, sounds like something out of oblivion and during the night scenes it feels like im playing oblivion, day looks like crysis, i loved far cry and crysis, trying to like this but it drives me mad, just too annoying, running about trying to find suitcases with a single diamond, how lame, guys who can see you in the bushes at night from over 500 yards away, i chased one guy around for about three minutes, i dont think the character knew i was behind him. i'll leave the rest till some other time, if this even gets printed, i was using the pc version, maybe like oblivion, farcry 2 was optimised for consoles and not pc computers. Expand
  93. PhilipH.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Very disappointing and very overrated game. Expected great things based on professional reviews and while the visuals can be stunning at times, game play is unimaginative and repititive not a patch of Crysis or Call of Duty 4. The poor AI makes the gaming experience feel 5 years old. Strange how gushing the professional critics where about the game. Must have been some launch party!! :-0 Very disappointing and very overrated game. Expected great things based on professional reviews and while the visuals can be stunning at times, game play is unimaginative and repititive not a patch of Crysis or Call of Duty 4. The poor AI makes the gaming experience feel 5 years old. Strange how gushing the professional critics where about the game. Must have been some launch party!! :-0 It gets 3 for visuals and 0 for everything else. Expand
  94. BinaryS.
    Nov 2, 2008
    First off, I'd like to say that I feel like the critic reviewers are either liars or totally incompetent. The high scoring of this game is a shame and I hope more and more gamers take note of which magazines can be trusted to give a fair review and which are obviously in the pocket of the massive, unregulated gaming industry. As far as the game goes - it's a buggy piece of crap First off, I'd like to say that I feel like the critic reviewers are either liars or totally incompetent. The high scoring of this game is a shame and I hope more and more gamers take note of which magazines can be trusted to give a fair review and which are obviously in the pocket of the massive, unregulated gaming industry. As far as the game goes - it's a buggy piece of crap and other USER reviewers did a better job describing it's weaknesses than I ever could. I'll just say that this game wasn't fun to play at all and I had to stop since it wasn't worth reloading after it started randomly crashing to the desktop. Expand
  95. MillerT
    Nov 6, 2008
    Boring. Repetitive. Overrated. Fun for the first 20 mins, until you realise youll be criss crossing the map in a crappy jeep for the next 50 hours (if you bother to play it longer than an hour). As overhyped as Assassins Creed.
  96. Enaed
    Nov 7, 2008
    Really boring. The field of view also make it very unappealing. I was so looking forward to this. Bought it on release day, installed it, played for 15 mins and haven't felt a need to play again. I was initially dissappointed in Crysis, but compared to this its way better. Not so sure if the critics were playing the same game version i have cos they are really over-hyping this game. Really boring. The field of view also make it very unappealing. I was so looking forward to this. Bought it on release day, installed it, played for 15 mins and haven't felt a need to play again. I was initially dissappointed in Crysis, but compared to this its way better. Not so sure if the critics were playing the same game version i have cos they are really over-hyping this game. Can't someone remake Far Cry 1 with better graphics and new levels - that would be awesome. Expand
  97. elButoLoco
    Nov 8, 2008
    First, let me say I have not played Far Cry (the original) but I have played Crysis & Crysis Warhead. I will admit that a comparison between the Far Cry series and Crysis is not a legitimate comparison since Crysis is by far a much more detailed and different strategy type game. You can liken this game to the whole sand box type games like GTA series. There are main quests to complete but First, let me say I have not played Far Cry (the original) but I have played Crysis & Crysis Warhead. I will admit that a comparison between the Far Cry series and Crysis is not a legitimate comparison since Crysis is by far a much more detailed and different strategy type game. You can liken this game to the whole sand box type games like GTA series. There are main quests to complete but many side quests to gain extra money, better weapons, vehicles, etc. That being said, this game is an overwhelming disappointment. For all the hype about choosing your method of approach or attack, it amounts to nothing. So what if you can burn anything and an explosion will attract enemies to one location, it doesn't matter when you are fighting the same respawned enemies hundreds of times because you are crossing the same guard post area to get to a different part of the map. Graphics for environments look really good but that doesn't make a game. I have never been one to really care about a storyline and good thing too because this one is horrible. As for kills, I am playing at the next to highest difficulty and the only gun I find worth it to kill enemies is the sniper rifle. The autmoatics are worthless since it requires one full clip per enemy (although there are many to choose from). Enemy AI is variable. Some have marksman type shooting when they fire at you with a SMG from across the map but you couldn't do the same if you tried. AI in others is almost nonexistent as I have had enemies literally run up beside me and look around for me while I just turn and empty a bullet into their head point blank. There is no explanation of what upgrades do, what new weapons offer, or why I should buy a damn vehicle manual when I can still repair the shot up cars myself! The point, save your money, this is a boringly repetitive game that I find myself playing to pass the time until L4D comes out. You can save $50 and just spend it on L4D instead. Expand
  98. MikoS.
    Oct 22, 2008
    The embodiment of mediocrity. While the graphics are spectacular and the world immersive, the actual gameplay consists of driving from A to B, stopping at C, D, and E to take out groups of generic enemies. Once at your destination, you take out another group of generic enemies. Rinse, repeat. Not only does the game consist almost solely of having your travel interrupted by random enemies, The embodiment of mediocrity. While the graphics are spectacular and the world immersive, the actual gameplay consists of driving from A to B, stopping at C, D, and E to take out groups of generic enemies. Once at your destination, you take out another group of generic enemies. Rinse, repeat. Not only does the game consist almost solely of having your travel interrupted by random enemies, but the combat itself somehow manages to avoid excitement and fun in favor of frustration and boredom. Just like Far Cry and Crysis, Far Cry 2 is a dull, generic shooter with pretty graphics and a gimmick. Not worth your money at the moment, although if you're bored in 2010 it may be worth $10 at the bargain bin. Expand
  99. RastaRat
    Oct 24, 2008
    Cobbled together trash of a game with repetitive hollow content. Horrible AI and story will will make you wish they had spent less time on "fire propagation" and more on actual content. When you pop the hood to tighten the radiator cap on your Assault Jeep for the fiftieth time you will wish you had steered clear. Mark those reviewers like PC Gamer that gave this 90+ scores. They are Cobbled together trash of a game with repetitive hollow content. Horrible AI and story will will make you wish they had spent less time on "fire propagation" and more on actual content. When you pop the hood to tighten the radiator cap on your Assault Jeep for the fiftieth time you will wish you had steered clear. Mark those reviewers like PC Gamer that gave this 90+ scores. They are scamming tools for the industry. Expand
  100. mattok
    Oct 24, 2008
    i really can't put my finger on it entirely...something about it just feels cheap. the movement feels extremely awkward, running in particular is pretty crappy as you can't strafe at the same time. no prone? what's up with that? i also don't feel the guns look or feel all that great. a lot of the features that looked cool in preview videos are in reality annoyingi really can't put my finger on it entirely...something about it just feels cheap. the movement feels extremely awkward, running in particular is pretty crappy as you can't strafe at the same time. no prone? what's up with that? i also don't feel the guns look or feel all that great. a lot of the features that looked cool in preview videos are in reality annoying (car repair,guns jamming) but the malaria thing is actually pretty awesome....just kidding,it's also really annoying. i applaud ubisoft's ambition with this but it ultimately falls flat and is no comparison in quality to anything that crytek or valve puts out. Expand

1. Combat is thrilling – each weapon packing a solid, vicious blast; movement suggesting heft and momentum. [Dec 2008, p.80]
  2. By adopting a laissez faire attitude to player discretion, Ubisoft has crafted a brilliant follow-up.
    More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.