8.1

1. May 1, 2013
    Well, the game is funny and the gameplay excellent. Best weapons ever and the story line dumb as hell. I see a lot people complaining about the game deepness, duration, etc in front of FC3. Hey guy this is a 15$ title! 1/4 of FC3 price. Just be logic. It definitely worth more than 15$.
  2. May 1, 2013
    This wonderful game helped us to remember the atmosphere of 90-x! The game is full of humor, neon and nice music. If you are caught the time of crazy cyber-thrillers and you want to feel in the role of a hero, then you can safely play in the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.
  3. May 1, 2013
    What a breath of Fresh air. If you was an 80s or 90s kid, you will definately notice the various puns and homages. The graphic style is very Neon-heavy. Music is trashy goodness at its finest. Since i have not played the Original FC3 i cannot make any comparison in that regard. Pros: Fast Paced, Brutal, Combat, supertrashy story, sound all around, music and effects! Cons: The Landscape can get monotonous, since there is no real daynight cycle. Your only humanoid Enemies are limited to a handful.

Overall:
    For this price, you're really getting your moneys worth! The soundtrack alone will let any 80's 90's Kids pulse rise. 9/10
  4. May 1, 2013
    Jogo sensacional! Se você teve a sua nos anos 80 e quer se divertir salvando o mundo, com um diálogo cômico e sem compromisso, então você tem que jogar esse jogo. o que o Duke Nuken Forever não foi.
  5. May 1, 2013
    This game is fantastic. This will go down in game history like Duke Nukem (original). Witty humor mixed with blowing up stuff, the game even makes fun of itself.. It's what Duke Nukem forever should have been and what FarCry 3 (regular) should have been mixed into a single, fun, open ended, blowing stuff up game. 10 out of 10.
  6. May 2, 2013
    So cheesy so goooooooood!!!!!!! Had more fun with this than Far cry 3, voiceovers, art, sounds, music, graphics all sweat pure unabashed 80s action movie bliss!
  7. May 3, 2013
    Full of tongue-in-cheek awesome. From flipping the bird at whatever you want, to the fazertron laser rifle. Pure awesome. I wish they had made FC3 on this entire premise. My only beef is that it's kind of a small land area.
  8. May 3, 2013
    That was amazing. You really managed to stroke all my buttons, thank you to whoever made this a reality!

+ Great value (large part of Far Cry 3 functionality for a fraction of the price).
    + Really fun 80:s parody.
    + Action packed game play
    + ..
    - Cut scenes were a bit weird on my end, too slow.
  9. May 3, 2013
    This game is a breath of fresh air in an increasingly stale FPS genre that has been too heavily influenced by a certain on-rails-modern-military-shooter and its clones.

This game is in many ways a re-skin of Far Cry 3 (the game mechanics are largely the same open world/taking outposts/doing quests/finding collectibles), but it is a lot more fun because it embraces the silliness and
    absurdity of it all.. Far Cry 3 was a dumb game that took itself way too seriously. Blood Dragon is a dumb game that absolutely nails the B movie so-bad-its-good tone and humor.

Of course, if the gameplay of Far Cry 3 didn't appeal to you at all, and if you don't like/get this style of humor, this game isn't for you. For everyone else, go part with your $15 right now!

If the average major game developer had even half the guts and creative balls that Ubisoft Montreal has shown by releasing this, the world of gaming would be a FAR better place.
  10. May 3, 2013
    This game is fun and entertaining, it takes me back to the 80's cyberpunk era and make me wanna kill cyborgs and shoot with laser guns, this is a must have for anyone who like cyberpunk things!
  11. May 4, 2013
    Definitely worth the money, compared to the highly forgettable realistic-wannabe shooter games out there Blood Dragon stands out as a kind of its own, giving you a break from being "some serious business special force guy" saving the world from nuclear war.

A game made without push financial constraints and possibly involve someone going on a holiday and getting a bit too high.

There's a lot of cheesy combat dialog involved, so if you like being a serious tightass, or just don't like having fun, this game is not for you.
  12. May 4, 2013
    Holy Crap This game is good! This is the coolest game EVER!!! For those who have played the Far Cry games, FC3BD takes all of the coolest things about Far Cry, and puts them in an 80's action movie experience that you absolutely MUST play to appreciate. For those unfamiliar with Far Cry, let's just say that there is a huge world to discover. You get to explore huge maps and take down enemy outposts, using a variety of cool weapons. You can either do open assaults or play stealthy and sneak up on people to kill them. You can hunt animals, (and be hunted by them.) You get to drive land and water vehicles. There is just so much to do!! Anyhow, that's my short primer on Far Cry. So Blood Dragon is a spin off from Far Cry that takes place in the future (2007) Michael Biehn plays the lead character, named Rex Power Colt, a cyber soldier. Your mission is to stop your former commander Sloan who is also a cyber solder, but has gone rogue. Everything about this game pays homage to old 1980s action movies. You get to hear the predator vision when you switch your cyber zoom modes. You hear the pulsating synth Terminator music when you are stalking your enemies. It is a very enjoyable experience. The dialog exchanges between the characters make this game priceless! I highly recommend this game for anyone who has loved Terminator, Aliens, Predator, etc. You get to kill a bunch of cyber solders and save the world Far Cry style, and be Michael Biehn while you do it! Well Done UBISoft! **UPDATE** I just beat the game on hard. The ending is so freaking good!!! Play it all the way through!!! Expand
  13. May 4, 2013
    This game is perfect on so many levels. I haven't played FarCry 3 but I picked this game up because I thought it looked awesome, and it didn't disappoint. Literally every mixed review from critics and users I've seen is a result of this game going over their collective heads. Xbox Magazine complained about how powerful weapons become and how short the game is. thatsthepoint.jpeg. Seriously, that's the damn point. The game is supposed to be short, you are supposed to become an unstoppable killing machine in no time. It adds to the satire. You can play stealthy and it is fun, but the guns are so powerful you really don't have to. There are character levels and you level up so fast. After about 8 hours of gameplay, you will probably be abut level 25 out of 30. Which again, adds to the ridiculousness. The humor is also great. A character in the game flat out says "Anyone who thinks video games cause violence is a idiot." I'm not kidding here, this is a line from the game. Your character (Rex) can breathe underwater forever, you can survive any fall, and by level 25 you will be taking 50% less damage from explosives. Need I say more? This game was going for the sci-fi cheesy action genres of the 80s, and nails it on every possible level. From the cheesiness to the satire to the explosions and over-the-top action like riding a Blood Dragon that shoots lasers out of its eyes at the end, this game strikes all the right cords in my book. Expand
  14. May 4, 2013
    i love this game everything is just amazing the weapons and the story also the graphics looks awesome and the missions are superb really i enjoyed this game very well it deserves more than 15
  15. May 5, 2013
    Blood Dragon is a chilling tale based in the aftermath of Canada's demise in Cold War 2. The year is 2007 and you play a hero out to secure freedom for the world using futuristic weaponry and one man's unwavering determination.

Other games should just postpone launch until 2014, this is the GOTY.
  16. May 6, 2013
    What do you get when you put an eighties action star like Michael Biehn into an action shooter that combines all the great sci-fi elements of said era? You get Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. This game shows us that you don't have to take the story seriously to enjoy an action game. I don't want to ruin anything for you guys but ultimately you get the girl, kill the bad guys, and save the entire planet. Now isn't that worth a measly fifteen bucks? Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    At 15 bucks, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon offers up an incredible love letter to fans of music, movies, cartoons, and videogames from the '80s and early '90s; if you are a fan, you will like this DLC. It's over the top, utilizes the same engine and general game mechanics from the well received Far Cry 3, and the atmosphere is unique and fresh, while familiar to anyone who has seen Blade Runner, Terminator, or Aliens, Transformers, Predator, Aliens... the list goes on. And to top it all off, the musical score is excellent, borrowing while also paying homage to several scores from popular films of the 1980's and early '90s. All around, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is geared towards a specific demographic of players, while the humor and parody also draw to light elements of the modern gaming community that have changed over the years (a reference to the modern response to videogame violence, as well as the dumbing down of difficulty represented by in game obnoxious, self aware 'hints').
    I can't praise Blood Dragon enough; it's just a breath of fresh air.
  18. May 7, 2013
    Great game, really helped me remember my childhood with the cheesy but cool heroes. Just a fun game to get into as well. I would say this is must for all FPS lovers.
  19. May 8, 2013
    The gameplay's essentially the same as the actual Far Cry 3, (which isn't exactly a bad thing) and it is much shorter. In addition, the neon VHS design means that you don't really have much draw distance in looking around. All of this is mere nitpicking. The writing never takes itself seriously, and manages to stay brilliantly cheesy without turning crass. And just when you think that it can't possibly get anymore ridiculous... boy oh boy, does it prove you wrong... Especially at the end. Worth every cent of your wallet. Expand
  20. May 11, 2013
    It feels like the old duke nuke. Gameplay takes the best of fc3 and adds laser dragons and goofy one liners while adding (cyber) to the beginning of everything. Downsides are minimal. Not enough dialogue for the frequency of it. Too easy on hard.
  21. May 11, 2013
    Its the funniest game i ever played. I love Biehn Voice and the stupid story.Just buy it its worth it. This is a lot better then all FC3 combined togheter
  22. May 19, 2013
    For me, Blood Dragon seemed to be better than FC3, because of the cool storyline and neon colour everywhere! The soundtrack is amazing, and the graphics are great.
    The fictional weapons are fun to use, but the game is three hours long. I demand a sequel of Blood Dragon!
  23. May 27, 2013
    Probably my all-time favorite FPS on PC. If you grew up at all in the 80s or just have an appreciation for the action movies from that era, you'll find it extremely entertaining. Silly but clever, and somehow with a ton of nostalgia. Oh, and the gameplay is a blast. Just an incredibly fun experience to play.
  24. Jun 9, 2013
    A cheap, incredibly fun game that perfectly captures the machismo of 1980's 1990's action flicks. What this game lacks in length, it makes up for in quality and memorability. The gameplay delivers a level of visceral satisfaction that eludes the blander FPS titles of this generation, and the satirical writing is just utterly fantastic and hilarious. Powerglove's electronic soundtrack will take you back to pleasant memories of Escape from New York and Blade Runner. Stylistically, this game blows the base Far Cry 3 out of the water. It's everything that Duke Nukem Forever strove for and failed to be. If you're at all depressed by the current direction of gaming, and haven't yet picked this gem up and encouraged these talented developers to make a full-retail sequel, consider yourself officially part of the problem. A *damn* good buy. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2013
    Everything one could miss from old games. Fast paced, random and very bad jokes. Sure hope this game will receive a sequel just for the heck of the 80's and 90's humor.
  26. Jun 18, 2013
    With a little imagination and creativity you can create games beyond the standards of today. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is what we call fun for the nostalgic.
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    This might be the coolest game I have ever played. I laughed throughout the entire game. I played though far cry 3 so I thought I would get bored of this since it is the same game play... Not at all. I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I really hope they continue with this franchise.
  28. Jul 24, 2013
    So much fun. The graphic style is very nice, i didnt find bugs yet and its a lot of fun. I never played a classical FarCry Game but this is not necessary at all. It is a game for fun and depending on the differculty you choose it isnt so easy. I really like it. Just UPlay is a bit unnecssary... (i bought it on steam)
  29. Jul 25, 2013
    Brilliant. You can see the guys who wrote the script had a lot of fun. I would pay $15 easily just for the dialogs.

Had many good real laughs and loads of fun.
  30. Nov 9, 2013
    It might not have loads of serious story arcs and character development the great visual style the really good humour the 80s homages the gameplay the graphics has a great style the animals it is just SO MUCH FUN.

The definite version with customiseable controls and some amazing graphics buy it now
  31. Dec 14, 2013
    I'm a kid, who grew up in the 80s. That makes me a kid that has seen the evolution of FPS-games. That also makes me a kid in his late 20s, and I must say I loved Blood Dragon from the first minute.

The game is ridiculously enjoyable. The game is a tight 10 hours worth of campaign full of good humor, excellent music and intense action.

In short: Blood Dragon is something you would
    have expected Duke Nukem Forever to be.

Thanks Ubi. This rocks.
  32. Jan 14, 2014
    Very good game i love it. It is worth it to play this game. I brought the disk version but i didn't have problems with it. People who are looking for new games to play, play this game you won't regret it
  33. Feb 1, 2014
    A brilliant homage to the sci-fi action movies and the pop culture of the 80s. Yes, the game could use some more length and a greater variety of enemies. Or a more involved plot, maybe. But it is what it is. It's a game where you can hunt dinosaurs with lasers firing from their eyes with a futuristic neon-painted bow. Or a sniper rifle if you're cheap. A lot of new games try to be as serious as they can, although we've all seen serious before. But this one is for the nostalgic gamers. Expand
  34. Jun 11, 2014
    I cant give this game anything less than a 10. I just can't. Its too fun. I don't think that I really have anything to complain about. This is a homage to cheesy 80's action movies, and it does it brilliantly, from the neon lights to the excellent musical score which NAILS it. This is a must buy.
  35. May 1, 2013
    I like this game, its fun!!!, I am not going to ruin anything, but the 80's stuff made me chuckle.

Although I have learned with steam you have to solve your own problems.

To the people who are complaining up it not showing up. I exited stream and re signed in and there it was, Then when I when to play it, it gave me a EXE error.. The you have to right click the game and verity the
    files if you get that error, then all is set worked for me. If this don't work your own your own. Expand
  36. May 1, 2013
    Really funny and really enjoyable cheesy 80s sci-ti action movie setting. Basically Far Cry 3 put in a more light hearted and fun setting. Just as good as I hoped it would be.
  37. May 2, 2013
    Ultimately the same game as Far Cry 3, with a few additional features and gameplay modifications. Most weapons and enemies are reskinned, but it feels like a completely new game. The story is cliche'd, which is intentional, being a tribute to the 80's and 90's action films. It's both hilarious and stimulating. Blood Dragon is nostalgic, without reaching the point of being pretentious and alienating. If you loved Far Cry 3, and you've enjoyed films such as Robocop and Terminator, you'll most certainly enjoy Blood Dragon. Expand
  38. May 2, 2013
    Excellent game play, I love these kind of games but unfortunately they only come along once in a while. This is your chance to play a funny 80 's style game and its very cliche storyline. That only adds more fun to the game play and the overall progress.
  39. May 2, 2013
    Excellent game. Doesn't take itself seriously and even takes the piss out of the genre. Super heaps of fun.

"Schools out... FOREVER. "
    - Sgt Rex Power Colt
  40. May 3, 2013
    Really this game is worth about an 8 but i'll add an extra point just because I really like these types of stand alone games as DLC instead of tiny map add ons or gun skins. Here we can see a lot of create ideas come from ubisoft and what you get is a very memorable and hilarious throw-back game of 80's sci-fi action schlock, fantastic for those of us who grew up in that era. Not perfect, but a great value and enough memorable moments that it is totally worth the price. Expand
  41. May 3, 2013
    Original Far Cry 3 was great, but for me Blood Dragon is just perfect FPS game. 80's B-movie style, synthpop, hilarious characters and dialogs, well made gameplay. Blood Dragon is worthy successor to Duke Nukem 3D!
  42. May 3, 2013
    Right, Holy Where did this game come from? This is easily the best single-player game I've played in a long time, and it only cost £12. From start to finish it's full of laughs, awesome features, stunning visuals, excellent game-play and an epic soundtrack to go along with it. If you aren't a fan of 80's films, music and cheese you) then you won't like Blood Dragon all that much. My only downfall with it is there isn't more for me to play! Expand
  43. May 3, 2013
    Simply put, this game is really fun. I won't spoil the story, but it's mostly a satire and homage towards 80s action heroes. The music, setting, and dialogue is over the top and hilarious. Finally the action is similar to Far Cry 3 as it's using the same engine, but the variation with the enemies along with some cool moves make it feel fresh and exciting. If you enjoyed FPS, the Far Cry Series, or just want a fun game then get it. Expand
  44. May 4, 2013
    This is Far Cry 3 but with the awesome dial turned to eleven!
    Michael Biehn, robots with motorcycle helmets, music with lots of synth drum rolls and laser shooting dragons. How could a game like this possibly fail?!

I liked the original Far Cry 3's gameplay, but I hated the little douchebags the story was centred around.
    On the other hand, FC3 Blood Dragon's story is pure 80's cheese.
    Deliciously tasty 80's cheese.

At $18 AUD, this game is an absolute bargain. You're getting a AAA title for peanuts!
  45. May 4, 2013
    This game takes the Far Cry 3 gameplay that we love, and repackages it with a hilarious new theme and some new gameplay elements. The Terminator-esq style is great fun, although the animated cutscenes can be a little boring. The music is awesome, if you like the Terminator main theme, which I do. The main character is hilarious, badass-ly complaining about tutorials and collectibles. The map is about 1/4 the size of the map in Far Cry 3, but packed with stuff to do. The new bases present different challenges then the ones in FC3, with structures more focused on walls and guard towers. The big addition to the game is Blood Dragons, a wildlife animal that is incredibly strong but easy to sneak around. A new throwable gives you a way to attract them to enemy outposts, giving you a new "tool". My only complaint is the game length/size, which is still very acceptable for the price tag. This game just has the potential for so much more content.

All in all, this is a great game for fans of Far Cry 3 or Terminator, and for the price tag, this stand-alone expansion is a great deal, especially compared to most overpriced DLC on the market.
  46. May 4, 2013
    This is the best DLC i have ever bought and it's a standalone game so you don't need to have FarCry3 in you Steam library to play it. This DLC is a lot of fun and if you love 80's there is no question you should get this game, you are going to enjoy it, like i did. EASILY THE BEST DLC SO FAR!!!
  47. May 4, 2013
    For someone who did't Enjoy the last Far Cry 2-3 I must say this one did hit the spot the lack of seriousness and more tied to fun without far cry 3 grind to gear craft this is just more appealing and fun I hope to try another itteration like this again

Don't write this game off for being cheap its more rewarding then the Full Price Far Cry 3
  48. May 6, 2013
    great game enough said. reminds me of every corny 80s movie i saw growing up deffo worth the money you wont regret it i wonder y the developers made it though and what sort of drugs were they on when they came up with the idea of this game
  49. May 7, 2013
    Took me 5 hours to beat, including side missions, but considering the price and the quality of the game, it was definitely worth it. It feels like Far Cry 3 but much faster, no skill tree and you crafting. You don't need to hunt for animal skins. But you level up very fast and there are unlocks to upgrade your weapons. The humor is really good, sometimes the AI voice will ruin some jokes because she will explain the joke but for the most part it was pretty funny. I love the 80s style with all the references and the 16 bit cut scenes. I enjoyed this game and recommend it. Expand
  50. May 7, 2013
    I feel sorry the people who "don't get it" and, therefore, will probably never play this game all the way through to the end, because they're missing out on one of the most gloriously outrageous final levels of any FPS in history. Blood Dragon is one big panchromatic parody of bad SciFi and bad game mechanics. You're going to do some things that sound boring (because they are). For example, you're going to be forced to collect all of the items in the world and do all of the side-missions in order to upgrade your weapons to the max But that's not by accident, it's all completely deliberate, because the real stars of this game are the weapons themselves. The weapons start off over powered and just get more powerful from there. Near the end of the game you acquire a compact Death Star in the form of an arm bracelet that looks like the blade from Krull and disintegrates anything it touches again, it's a parody! It's not supposed to be fair, or challenging, or make sense it's just supposed to make you laugh. So, have fun! Expand
  51. May 8, 2013
    Blood Dragon is pretty much Far Cry 3 in a different setting. You'll find the exact same mechanics and engines.

However, it's fun. It's cheesy, and it's the point. It's funny too (the tutorial gets a special mention for enraging your character). In fact, I found it better than Far Cry 3 simply because it was such a change from the usual things we see in video games. Our character in FC3
    I found was too generic to be enjoyable I remember someone saying his only talent was being a professional A&F T-shirt wearer.

But in Blood Dragon... you're a goddamn Mark IV Cyborg and ain't nobody gonna with you. That's the premise. Everything in the game is meant to be a joke, from the robotic enemies delivering lines like "Ho-ly... crAP" in a monotonous voice, to cyber sharks in the water... everything is a joke, and everything is fun.

Expect the game to be quite short. The price pretty much reflects the length.

The only problem I can find is that there's a synthetic visual filter that you can't turn off. It turns on very fine horizontal bars to simulate an old TV screen. Not everyone will like it.
  52. May 8, 2013
    This game is sick. I have nothing bad to say about it. the weapons are awesome. the detail is beautiful. it is far cry 3 but even better. voice acting is good, and hilarious. You are crazy to not buy this game. I wish it were longer. but it is technically an expansion pack. buy this game so they are pressured into making a full length game!!
  53. May 15, 2013
    A masterpiece of fun and action rolled up into a small package that doesn't tax your wallet. Short and to the point and is free of the drawn out boring story lines of other Far Crys.
    It will keep you busy for a weekend depending on how much you play or even a single day don't expect a whole lot to do other than the main story line and some random kill quests and exploration.
  54. May 17, 2013
    To be honest, game earns somewhere between 7 and 8. Some parts of it are good, others may be boring at times. While it's a standalone expansion it still may be more varied or have more missions. But they 80's vibe is doing it's dirty job and I simply were unable to stop playing this game for 15 hours. It feels so 80's: music, one liners, weapons, enemies... Everything but a game engine just came to my monitor from eighties. And that was amazing. Expand
  55. May 21, 2013
    Just completed the game and wow... just wow! everything from the music to the one-liners, old movie references and so on are just epic. love it and can only recomend it!
  56. May 23, 2013
    I have spent so much time on this game, it looks like a 1980's Sci-fi low-budget movie and it's really funny. I have gotten a lot of laughs from it, but if you didn't like Far Cry 3, you should not buy this either. It's basically Far Cry 3, but reskinned with a new story.
  57. May 27, 2013
    Why this is associated with Far Cry and not its own IP is beyond me. Blood Dragon, in a twisted sense, is more realistic than the original Far Cry 3 since you are cyborg commando supremely adept at killing and not a 20 something faceless prick who magically becomes a legend the moment he picks up a gun. Everything about this game intones the over the top 80s machismo absurdity associated with cheesy action flicks of the decade. The combat is a blast, the weapons are entertaining, the side content, while severely limited, doesn't get stale. You can run super fast and jump super high and even fall from any height making the pace of the game far more frenetic than Far Cry 3. I disliked Far Cry 3 because it tried to hard to be a super serious adventure in saving people I cared nothing about. I love Blood Dragon because it doesn't get in the way of letting you be the ultimate badass. It focuses on the action with a consistent pace and never slows down. The ride is far too short, however, and there is little to do once you complete the main story unless you want 100% completion or want to replay the action on a higher difficulty. Even if you didn't like Far Cry 3 it's worth checking this one out for $15 since if feels very different despite retaining many of the same gameplay elements. Expand
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    I liked the game, albeit being a little short. I don't understand why Ubisoft didn't make this it;s main project I had more fun in this than in the original Far Cry 3.
  59. Jun 7, 2013
    It's really hard to give an objective review of a game that's, in its entirety, just isn't serious. This game should really be considered a satire if anything, and it does it well. Despite it being that, though, it's still heaps of fun and absolutely hilarious from time to time. It's ridiculously easy and can get a bit repetitive, but most of the content makes up for that wholly.
  60. Jun 9, 2013
    Very original. Had a lot of fun playing this game. Love the 80s music. If you like Farcry 3, you must get this DLC you get a good 4-6 hours of fun from this.
  61. Jun 10, 2013
    There is a moment in Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon that is familiar to anyone that ever played Far Cry 3: after sneaking into an enemy base, I stab an enemy through the back, then again with a close friend before I pull out the gun in his pocket and shoot the three guards in front of me dead. A final guard, one that I didn't notice when I was observing this area, makes a break for the alarm, but not before I can kill him with a deadly bow and arrow. So continues the well crafted power fantasy that is the Far Cry series.

Set in the future, "the year 2007", Blood Dragon is an impressive ode to 80's and early 90's culture. Any gamers that started with the NES with feel a surge of nostalgia with the low-resolution cutscenes while what sounds like music from the movie Drive or the band Daft Punk boils in the background. Meanwhile the graphics impress: it must be difficult to so effectively draw what looks like a high school theater department would do to make a science fiction set. But you knew all this going in. What you want to know is if this is worth it.

Simply put, if you enjoy well-crafted and creative action games, Blood Dragon cannot be beat. It is certainly the most well-crafted dumb fun imaginable. The Call of Duties and Medal of Honors aren't nearly as good and yet those series have no problem taking themselves so seriously. If you're wondering if Far Cry 3 is worth full price, this 5-6 hour adventure might be the best demo money can buy.

The problems, however, reflect similar difficulties that greeted the original Far Cry 3 release: the story. As with its predecessor, the story is the biggest problem this game needs to tackle, in regards to two key issues. First, there is no relationship between gameplay and story, which, admittedly, is quite an esoteric complaint. But having grown up on the edge of this high-stakes, point driven style of gaming, I'm disappointed that none of the gameplay changes to reflect the era that it's making homage to. Second, as goofy and fun as the story is, I found myself becoming wearied with our cyber commando's quest for revenge pretty quickly. Yeah, he's not supposed to be our best friend, but by the end I felt that there was nothing at stake.

However, the fact that this game only possesses the above examples and provoke the kind of conversation it has means to me that it is a can't miss success. I'm appreciative that this game exists and hope that, in the coming years, more of these oddball games, from whatever mad mind they emerge, continue to make their way onto market.
  62. Jul 7, 2013
    80s, more 80s, Blood Dragon. Awesome shooter, filled with 80s references, and powered with Far Cry 3s engine with neon and futuristic weaponry, in a world filled with cyber-soldiers and blood dragons. Now that is a definition of insanely great game.
  63. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is exactly what you think it is! A throw back to the 80's and 90's with its cheesy one liners and over the top guns and explosions. Definitely worth a play through for the gamer born in the 80's. The side quests are worth doing as well!
  64. Jul 19, 2013
    This game is over the top in all of the right ways. It's very similar to Far Cry 3 as far as its mechanics and systems go. However, it contains a lot more humor and creativity than the "AAA" experience you get from Far Cry 3. Buy this game. It's cheap and it's great. Enough said.
  65. Jul 19, 2013
    blood dragon takes the great game play of Far Cry 3 and adds to it a really funny humorous dialogue there is not much story in it but the fun and humor will make you laugh so hard and it isn't short it will take 7 hours to complete so it's definitely worth playing
  66. Xon
    Jul 22, 2013
    Thank God for this game that is all about having FUN. The game doesn't take itself too serisouly, perhaps it could've to make it funnier, but everything is tongue-in-the-cheek.
    The game is polished and easy to get into, the graphics unique and it is a mind-bending companion piece to FarCry 3.
    Cheep and cheerful all round.
  67. Aug 19, 2013
    I can't remember the last time I had such dumb fun with a game. Everything tries so hard to be serious or be taken seriously these days, it's rare to find a game that manages to be care free AND good. Which is exactly what Blood Dragon is. Don't come to this game expecting a dramatic, tear jerking story or realistic gameplay or a massive world filled with a year's-worth of content, just take it for what it is: A brief, hilarious, nonsensical, EPIC romp through 80's VHS nostalgia. It's not perfect, but I have the feeling it was never supposed to be. My only REAL gripe is the graphics. I understand what the aim was, and by all counts they nailed the look of an old, burned-out CRT television, but there were moments I caught myself squinting at the screen trying to pick out an enemy amid rampant neon coronas or too-dark environments. I ended up having to make the game much brighter than I think was ever intended just so I could see what I was doing. I would have loved to see a graphics setting that turned down all the filters. It's not game breaking, but it does get a little annoying after a while. All in all though, Blood Dragon is more than worth the $15 price tag. What few dings the game has are more than compensated for in the ear-to-ear grin that covered my face for most of my time on the island. Expand
  68. Rox
    Nov 9, 2013
    The voice over, the music, the ambient lighting, the 80's... it makes you want to keep playing regardless of the tedium of fighting the same enemies and the minor clipping. I am so glad that Ubi made this a stand alone and didn't use it to milk more money out of Farcry 3 consumers. Let me just note too that the ending absolutely blew me away! If your from or into the era, the 80's nostalgia will slap you hard then follow it up with the cold hard robo-hand of Rex Colt. This title is worth every cent of the $15 and a definite buy on sale for any 80's fan or FPS fan with a sense of humor. I gave it 9 out of 10 due to the lazy programing of repetitious enemies. Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2013
    Blood Dragon manages to bring back many good old memories from the 90's video games on a next gen gameplay and it has a lot smart sci-fi references. It is a must play. The only thing disappointing is the length of only 3-4 hours.
  70. Jan 13, 2014
    super nice game,it feels like a film when i am playing it,the music,sound effect,pictures,all fantastic,makes me feel like i am in 80s science fiction films
    but it is too short and only few kinds of enemy,Carrier,and all enemy bases is almost the same,all places to collect things to unlock weapon parts,they all the same,and at most 15 hours u will 100% complete in this game.which makes u
    can not enjoy it very much,
    but it gives me a completely new feeling other games can not give,i like it !
  71. Feb 9, 2014
    After playing Far Cry 3 with all the crafting, serious plot and other nuances, it was a treat to play a "run and gun" version where you picked up enhancements strictly through leveling. Game was balanced - it could be very tough depending on what difficulty setting you had. Loved the 80's kitsch! All I could think of this was a combination of Rocky, Rambo and Red Dawn all thrown into one complete game complete with retro techno music. Rumor is there will be a sequel. I certainly hope so - this was one fun game! Expand
  72. Feb 26, 2014
    Action sci fi spoof parody with a great voice over from Michael Biehn, throwing out funny one liners. That will hit the right note with gamers of a certain age and induce waves of nostalgia of bygone days.
  73. Mar 2, 2014
    Pure awesome.

Much less serious than Far Cry 3, and the smoothness of combat and bases isn't as good, I considered giving it an 8. However the humor, the pure 80's-ness, the homage to old games and movies, made me forget about those issues throughout playing.

A totally rad, awesome, mint, mega game.
  74. Apr 23, 2014
    While other shooters are off trying to be as gritty as possible, FC3: Blood Dragon has no issue with being an 80s sci-fi action movie cliché. Vibrant colors, tons of blood, and a stream of catch phrases that'd make Arnie and Sly proud. A little short, but definitely with the $15 price tag.
  75. Jun 21, 2014
    This game was probably the most fun I've had with an FPS in years! It was certainly way more enjoyable than the original Far Cry 3. Not only is it very fun to play, but it's also extremely funny. The core gameplay is mostly the same as FC3: kill baddies, liberate strongholds, hunt animals, kill more baddies. However, it makes everything so much more fun. Not only do you have access to a number of weapons from the start, but you can also do many 'takedowns' (stealth melee kills) early on. While you do level your skills over time, it's a linear progression, and you get to focus on killing more stuff instead of deciding which dumb tattoo to get. There are also a host of weapon upgrades to earn, which make the already over-the-top guns (like the "Phazertron") even more awesome. Now, one downside of all this is that you're pretty powerful from the start, so there's much less feeling of accomplishment. By mid-game you'll be taking on while garrisons without worry. But I personally think this fits in with the game in general: the entire thing is a larger-than-life satire of 80's movies and modern video games (especially FC3), and part of that is the way you feel like 80's action hero as you gun down scores of soldiers and fight off lazer dragons. This is not to say that it's overly easy, but rather that it correctly realizes that we're having more fun laying waste to the enemy than dying every 10 mins. For a $20 game, this was worth every penny! Expand
  76. Jul 9, 2014
    This game is similar in fasion to Far Cry 3, but it fully embraces its silly 80's Sci-fi action. This is what makes the game fully enjoyable as an expansion. The main story line is tons of cheesy one liners and typical 80's plot twists, but still tells a convincing of enough story for you to want to play. If you were to pick up this game for the story alone, you are looking at the wrong game.

The character cast is limited to about 3-4 main characters and numerous minor characters. I will not spoil each group of MC's, but each feels completely at home in this sci-fi world Ubisoft has created. Some of the characters are your typical one dimensional 80's cheese, but that's what you WANT to expect. This game is all the cliches of the past made just for today.The characters flow into the story quiet well and it makes the game into an amazingly stupid action title. Cutscences in the game are presentated as "arcade style 32 Bit" interactions and add to the atmosphere of the working sci-fi title.

The levels that you interact with are great. It terms of size relative to Far Cry 3, it is just alittle smaller than the first island you start one. There are not alot pacing breaks.Entering buildings and having a pause to say go into a dungeon are a thing of the past. Most of the world is on the map and never take away from the game itselves. It's completely open world and thats great and bad. It's great to because you are a cyborg bad ♥♥♥ and can do whatever you want. The downside is that it lacks the depth of exploring and uncovering mysterys. They still have hidden files and items, but that alone has something lacking that Far Cry 3 had going for it. The hidden items reveal backstory on characters and thoghts. What it has that Far Cry 3 does not have are tons and tons of hidden easter eggs. I won't ruin them but when you find them you will chuckle at each and every one of them. This expansion is a single player expericence only, unlike Far Cry 3 which has some multiplayer elements.

Gameplay wise it is identical to Far Cry 3 minus a few things. Since you are a bad ♥♥♥ mofo cyborg you can run infinitly and you no longer take any fall damage. This is because you are a cyborg....do i really need to explain the science behind it? Moving on you get about one of each item and upgrade it with the "money" you get in the game. These futuristic guns are not only badass but become better with upgrades. Just like Far Cry 3, you will find that one or so gun that will be your bread and butter (for me it was the pistol and machine gun). The hunting is not as in depth as it was in Far Cry 3. It exists but usually as a means to upgrade your weapons or complete achievements.

In terms of replayability it is moderate to high depending on what you want to get out of it. Since this goes through UPLAY and not steam the achievements are fun to get but dont count outside of UPLAY. This count be a damper to some people, me on the other hand did not mind and still 100 percent this game. After trying to get all the achievements it is great to just run around and kill stuff or explore the island and find all the items and easter eggs. You could restart the campaign, but most people will not and be satisified with the game.

The achievements are fun and enjoyable for anyone who is a completionist. As i stated before, they count towards UPLAY achievements and not STEAM. Some could be time consuming to level up or upgrade weapons, but if you are an expericenced gamer you can get 95 percent on the first playthrough. My ranking on difficulty for getting all the achievements ranges from easy to average.

The video, audio and control layout is basically all the same as Far Cry 3. The graphics are great just like Far Cry 3, but it is a darker game with lazers and light beams lighting up the screen. This is the majority of the "light" in the game. It is suppose to be a destroyed wasteland from a nuclear war so dont expect lush bright sun effects. the audio is superb with the soundtrack taking the cake. It is one of the most memoriable soundtracks of any video game in recent history. With typical 80's sci fi movie sound and power anthems it will make your experience in this world that much more enjoyable. The layout for controls is the same but the tutorials are fun and make it easy to get back into a FPS if you have forgotten (i know you havent).

My final thoughts on Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. This game brings back fun into a game without sacrificing too much core gameplay. it is a fun game from beginning to end without too big of hiccups of run here and do that. It is just long enough and just short enough to never feel like it stays too long in one place. The sad part is when you finally complete the game it will leave you wanting more.
  77. Jul 12, 2014
    It's hard to find faults with this game. It's got that 80s neon feel, over the top weapons, great voice acting, cheesy as hell and lots of violence. It's exactly what it wants to be and is loads of fun in the process. I'm not usually a fan of shooters but this one stands out against the crowd in its presentation.
  78. Aug 15, 2014
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. A little while back, I reviewed the other Far Cry games in the series. I reviewed Far Cry 2, which I thought was underrated, and Far Cry 3, which I think is one of the greatest first-person shooters I've ever played. Now that this DLC/stand-alone expansion is out for the game, I decided to get this game off of Steam and play it. It is supposed to be different from the Far Cry games, taking the setting from a modern day tropical island, (or in Far Cry 2's case, Africa) into the 1980's vision of the future, in an alternate 2007. So, does this game perfectly represent the 80's vision of the future, or should the Far Cry series have just stuck with modern tropical islands as its settings? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is very similar to that of Far Cry 3's. You have an open world to explore with first-person shooter and stealth elements mixed in. This time, instead of playing as an adult named Jason Brody, you are playing as a cyber-soldier named Rex Colt, which gives you the perks of being one. Leveling is now automatic, meaning you can no longer choose your skills when you level up. The skills you learn are determined by what level you are on. While this change can be welcoming for those who don't like having to choose which perks they want, I did somewhat miss Far Cry 3's approach to perks, as I enjoy choosing the perks I want. I prefer choosing perks than having them be chosen automatically by level. While this change is not entirely welcoming, the gameplay is still every bit as fun and exciting as Far Cry 3's. You can approach missions however you want, and do everything any way you want. This is a good thing, however, it is also a bad thing, as this gameplay is very much the same as Far Cry 3's. The normal Far Cry 3 has the exact same gameplay as this expansion, but more of it. The campaign of this game is way too short at only seven missions total, where Far Cry 3 has over 30. That's not to say the campaign isn't fun, because it is. In fact its campaign has many moments that are much more fun than Far Cry 3's at times. This game does add a few new features, such as using Blood Dragons, which are brand new creatures added to this game, to attack enemy outposts. However, when you decide not to use them, this game will just be more Far Cry 3, which can once again be both good and bad. The gameplay of this game is every bit as fun as Far Cry 3, but it in no way surpasses the gameplay of the predecessor. As for the graphics, I have to say, this game's graphics are among the most creative and beautiful I have ever seen in a video game. Since this game represents what people on the 1980's thought the future would hold for them, there are neon lights everywhere, the sky is dark red throughout most of the game, and all of the characters are textured in a more unique fashion than Far Cry 3. This is one area where Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon might actually surpass Far Cry 3. As excellent as Far Cry 3's graphics were, they definitely weren't nearly as creative as this game's. The graphics of this game are very beautiful and creative, just how a video game should be. As for the story, while not quite as good as Far Cry 3's, it is still very creative. It tells the story of how Rex Colt saved the world from Sloan and his Blood Dragons. Along the way, he gets caught up in a conflict between Scientists and Sloan's Omega Forces. This game has quite an 80's vibe to it, so expect lots of references to things from the 80's such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Mortal Kombat, and even Star Wars at one point! As good as this game's story is however, it is a little bit cliched. Far Cry 3 suffered from the same problem, but made up for it with original characters and plot lines. While Blood Dragon doesn't have this advantage, it more than makes up for it with its clever writing and references. This game has a great sense of humor, and made me laugh at several points. While this game doesn't have quite as good of a story as Far Cry 3's, it is still enjoyable for being a throwback to the 1980's. Overall, I'd say that this game is definitely worth buying, especially if you have already played Far Cry 3. While it is not as good as Far Cry 3, it is definitely good as a game you can play afterwards. Even if you haven't played Far Cry 3, it is still a great game that is worth playing.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Story: 9/10
    Overall: 9/10
  79. May 1, 2013
    A deliberately cheesy, and funny 1980's B-movie video game homage. Michael Biehn has cool voice, so he is doing a nice job as Rex Colt, the protagonist. Besides we have everything we need: Armies of rough cyborgs, a hot scientist chick, dragons that fire LASERS from their eyes, mutants, nuclear war, cool music with the right amount of synth, and neon-lit skies! I gave it only 8 because everything else is basically the same as Far Cry 3, and the game is rather short! Expand
  80. May 2, 2013
    For those that enjoyed Far Cry 3 then you will most likely enjoy this game. The dialogue in this game is great and gunny and the story is stupid but not to the point that you do not want to play through it. The dialogue pulls a lot of lines from the 80's so if you were born after that and have not watched any of those films you will not catch the references.

Gameplay:

This game has
    the same feel as the original it took what Far Cry 3 did and applied it to this. The attention to detail is great, when you take damage you see him fixing his parts since he is robotic which looks quite cool.

Graphics:

If you have a strong enough PC to run this game on high to ultra setting then i looks beautiful, the detail in the environment draws you in and makes you feel like a part of the world.

Overall this is a game worth picking up for anyone that played Far Cry 3 and its a great throwback to movies of the 80's which opens up the game even more to those that may be new to the franchise. So what are you waiting for purchase this you will not regret it..
  81. May 2, 2013
    Blood Dragon is a great homage to 80's/90's video game and movie culture. The plot is humorously simple and you run around while listening to Michael Biehn deliver some absolutely sobadthey'regood one-liners. Apart from that, gameplay is similar to FC3; liberate outposts, save scientists, kill animals. The music is oddly catchy. So what's not to like? Well, the 80's filter may grate on you after a while and UPlay gave me some tense moments in the beginning when it wouldn't connect to their server. Still, Blood Dragon was a very enjoyable experience. Expand
  82. May 3, 2013
    I've really enjoyed this game. The whole neon past-futurism thing is really fun and different. I personally felt like it could have been less aware of itself, really. A lot of the jokes fall pretty flat, not that it stopped me from enjoying an otherwise excellent FPS experience with lots to do to keep you busy. I wonder how much better it could have been if it took itself a little more seriously (Think of the darker tone of a film like Robocop!) Expand
  83. May 6, 2013
    Same mechanics as in FC3, but the new, awesome futuristic 80's look. I love it. The soundtrack is superb, the story is fun and full of comedy, loads of guns, loads of upgrades, lots to see, and everything is for 15 bucks (or euros). It's definitely worth it. It plays as it looks. Just make sure you'll play it in short bursts. +don't buy those map things, where it reveals the collectibles on the map because it shortens the length A LOT. Just don't rush it and it'll feel like a good 20 hour game.

Also a lot of people had problems with UPLAY, but believe me, if it would be that bad as "everyone" says, we would have a Simcity 5 situation over here.
  84. May 11, 2013
    It's OK. I loved FC3 and Blood Dragon as a DLC is decent given the low price. Interesting environment and theme is worthwhile. The dialogue is a bit weird, SLOW, and at one point it's like "get on with it already." But I would recommend it.
  85. May 12, 2013
    What is essentially a different paint job for Farcry 3 is surprisingly better than the much larger and more hyped title of the same name. Sure it's short but its also a third the price as FC3.

The good:

BD actually takes out the annoying quirks of FC3 that made the game insanely annoying. As a cyborg you can jump higher, sprint forever and faster, and you can fall any distance as
    well as stay underwater as long as you like. This makes the game so much more fun to play and adds to the ridiculousness of the story. FC3 annoyed the pants off me how you could take bullet after bullet with little damage but jump off a 6 foot rock and lose half your health.

The story. The story is absurd and thats the point. Its hysterically bad.

The graphics. Love the Tron infused style.

The music. Absolutely stellar music. Well done.

Level ups that actually matter. After a short while in FC3 you stopped caring about leveling up because the skills just didn't matter. Here, levels up actually matter more. They aren't vital but you will use the powers.

Michael Biehn. Nuff said.

The bad:

Sadly it doesn't eliminate enough of the bad that was FC3. Collectibles are still in the game but in far fewer numbers. Worse, the game even mocks the practice of collectible items in games yet still has you doing them. I have tired of collectibles in games because it's a cheap tool to add filler to a game and make it appear longer. At least the map is smaller in BD and therefore less time wandering around looking for the things if you want them. FC3 was far worse with close to 200 of the things and no reasonable rewards for finding them.

Same game, same mechanics. To me I found some of the actions in FC3 to be quite clunky. Healing, looting, reloading, etc. Those actions were very clunky and its the same here. Healing yourself is a long animation that can be disrupted easily. Getting into and out of vehicles is painfully long. Looting animals or bodies is just longer than it needs to be especially for a game trying to be an arcade game. This is just due to the game really being a mod of FC3 so it was expected. I just didn't like the chunkiness of the game and the unresponsive controls of either game.

Same aim as well. Your aim in FC3 was awful with completely unpredictable accuracy. BD is the same again. The biggest oddity is that enemies are significantly harder to drop in this game so it can be a chore at times. Can take as many as a dozen hits to down a standard enemy if you miss the head.

All in all I found Blood Dragon to be a more enjoyable game than Farcry 3. Sure, Farcry 3 was bigger but bigger isn't always better. Much of Farcry 3 was a jumbled mess of bad story, unpolished gameplay, and a load of filler collection and side quests that mattered nothing other than to prolong the game.

For a third the price it's a no brainer and if you liked Farcry it will be right there for ya. Some won't get the humor but its a fun mess of nostalgia.
  86. May 16, 2013
    Tons of fun, and completely refreshing. More games need to do this with dlc for games. Some minor problems, but overall lot of fun, and best opening scene for a game ever. Long tall sally.
  87. May 17, 2013
    If you watch late 80's or early 90's cartoon, then this is the game to play. I may not be born during the 80's but I watch a lot of cartoons like transformers and G.I Joe to know where this is going. Super cheesy, fun and entertaining. Cliches being thrown around and this game was never taken seriously in the first place. Coming from a Canadian company to produce this game, I'd say they know a lot of American culture during the 80's. Best DLC content I'd ever seen. Expand
  88. May 20, 2013
    Amazing, fun and full of more 80's references than a cyber commando can handle. Far cry blood dragon is head and shoulders above far cry 3. Where many other AAA games fail this game delivers. So many 80's and early 90's movies nods, you cant but help but love this game. Blood Dragon i believe is worth every penny. If Ubisoft can continue making games like this it will be a step in the right direction for the entire video games industry as a whole. Only time will tell if this is just a one hit wonder or a herald for a better future of fun and enjoyable video games. Expand
  89. May 24, 2013
    If you were an 80s kid, then you'll be giggling and smiling like it's 1986 all over again. Brilliant use of analogue and digital synths, the VCR overlay, cheesy dialogue and neon splatter, help to turn Far Cry 3 on its head. I got about 8 hours of solid gameplay. There are 13 outposts to take over, and side-missions. The weapons are very powerful and feel awesome. Still, I would say that the AI is terrible. Even on hard the enemies are so dumb, that it's so easy to breeze through. Cheers Ubisoft Montreal! Expand
  90. May 26, 2013
    First of all, FC3 looked like it had terrible acting right of the bat and a dinky story line. This game is 15 bucks, fun as hell, and I didn't have to buy FC3 in order to play it. All those Blood Dragon haters out there are taking things too seriously. There are no FPS that really nail realistic qualities. So one that's really fun and cost 25% of what FC3 did, should be worth a shot. I love it, all things considered it gets an 8. Expand
  91. Jun 25, 2013
    Might be one of the best expand-alone titles I've ever played, the story is stuffed with references to old science-fiction and action movies such as, RoboCop, Terminator, Tron and so on, which at the same time is its biggest weakness. If you don't get that the game is a parody on the 80's view on the future, then the game is nothing but a weird looking, stupid sci-fi shooter with a dumb story.
    The game is based on the Far Cry 3 engine, and developed by the same people. It's basically just a re-skin, with a couple of new voice actors and a stereotypical 80's B-movie story, and it works for what it is. A great parody on the movies I grew up with, I loved every minute of the experience, but the again. If you're too young to have seen or understand what the game is about, the you're probably better of with the original Far Cry 3.
  92. Jul 5, 2013
    Essentially a total conversion mod for FC3, Blood Dragon offers a few hours of delightfully cheesy gameplay that retains the rock-solid open-world shooter mechanics of the original game.
  93. Aug 5, 2013
    I thought Far Cry 3 was mediocre and boring, but this? This... is just fun as hell, as well as cheap. Well worth the price. Buy it if you're looking for a zany shooter.
  94. Sep 2, 2013
    Good stuff. i was really pleasantly surprised with blood dragon. I had heard the hype but i was still not completely sold. A homage to a time you wasn't really part of isn't all that exciting. The game do manage to be really exciting though. The cutscenes, dialogue, narration and story just oozes charm and there are some genuine funny stuff in the game.

The general gameplay hasn't
    changed all that much from far cry 3 which i don't really have a problem with. The new weapons are pretty nice, the shotgun is particularly fun to use. And the missions in the game are pretty varied and fun to play through. The side quest and camp take overs are a little bit repetitive just as in the original but hey they are optional. And hey you can sprint now without needing to catch your breath every ten meter or so.

I do enjoy that most animals from the original have made a come back with a cyborg twist. The blood dragons are also a welcome addition. It would be nice if some of the animals had been a little bit dangerous though. I really should feel more threatened by cyber sharks.

Visually the is the game really nice. The use of neon colors really makes the visuals stand out.

The game isn't all that long but i had no problems with that considering its cheap price. I actually think that you get a fair amount of content for your money. If you have an interest in first person shooters then i would recommend that you give this game a try.
  95. Sep 14, 2013
    It is a quite enjoyable Far Cry 3 experience. But it is dark, sometimes it was difficult to make out things even though the enemies have neon lights on them. I was also plagued by the very first mission and the lack of save: 2 crash to desktop, 3 mission failed. After that, everything worked out fine. The jokes are relatively funny, the audio is good.
  96. Dec 7, 2013
    This is a GOOD game. It's far cry 3, and it's not far cry 3. It's similar in a lot of gameplay elements, but this takes place in a 80's vision of the future, not a modern day island with pirates. You play as Sgt. Rex Powercolt, a cyber commando. This game is fun. VERY FUN. I found myself adjusting my play style a bit as well, to accommodate for the new weapons. The island it takes place on is free roam, just like its cousin, Rook island, but its much much smaller as well, and has much less to do. But this game comes with a $15 price tag, and it can be fun planning attacks on cyber garrisons, listening to Rex yell out funny one-liners and references. Expand
  97. Dec 17, 2013
    Overall a very satisfying "pointless FPS" type experience. The game doesn't take itself seriously, and needs to be approached with that in mind. Also, keep in mind i did not ever play far cry 3, so I am approaching this as a totally independent game Pros: Graphically quite nice (if you appreciate the overall style), and easily playable on highest settings with no frame rate drops on a 2 year old card.

Weapons are fun, with a good upgrade system, doing the missions to unlock the upgrades actually doesn't get boring or tedious as there are only a few and they interspersed with capturing bases.

The leveling up system and bonus effects you gain is a nice feature. The money is likewise enough to keep you doing stuff without being punishing by ever really running out.

Vehicles are fun.

The multiple melee takedown options are pretty fun and make playing stealth viable in a lot of areas.

Strategically planning to stealth capture bases can be quite fun... although sometimes it is just as easy to sit a good distance away and snipe everyone.

It is fun to just go out and cause destruction. The environment is quite nice (if a bit always dark) and it is fun to just go exploring and killing patrols

For the price I got it for 4.99 on sale, it provided about 12 hours of entertainment, not a bad ratio.

Meh:

The collectibles I'm pretty split on, on the one hand it's an excuse to go out and explore the island, but having a few more missions or something and fewer collectibles would probably be a little preferable.

AI is somewhat bad at times although i didn't really mind. On one base i parked on the road outside and just fired a car mounted laser straight at a doorway for about 2 minutes, and eventually captured the base, as every enemy inside just walked right into the field of fire.

Cons:

The main plot missions are pretty bland, sometimes annoying, really the weakest point of the game honestly. The last one is ok just because of the sheer epicness of destroying everything in sight. Very anti climactic though. Luckily, there are only a few actual required missions that progress the story and you can just do them all in an hour at the end of the game after you are leveled up.

The weird way saving works, and the fact that you can't save your exact location any time is just bizarre. Not being able to save on missions is fine if they want to prevent quick save abuse (although i personally don't see the problem if someone wants to do that) but the overall way the system works is just weird and took some getting used to. It's like your state (xp, ammo, etc.) is saved, but your position is always the last checkpoint you were at.

The way killing animals with the knife (like the certain alligator in the sewer mission) works is awkward and annoying. Luckily it doesn't come up much

Bottom Line: It's a fun FPS to build yourself up into a killing machine and just go around killing bad guys. Simple, pointless fun. Some of the jokes are a bit much in terms of how corny or cliche they are, but overall the humor has its moments. Definitely worth a play through if you can get it for $10 or less.
  98. Mar 25, 2014
    As a stand-alone title, Blood Dragon is a fantastic first-person shooter. It uses the same game engine and mechanics as Far Cry 3, but does away with the skill tree and inventory management. You can still upgrade weapons and level up, but given that the game is much shorter, everything is scaled accordingly. The weapons are awesome, they all feel great and look nice. It's still open-world with plenty of firefights going on and garrisons to take over with side quests and collectibles for weapon upgrades. What amazes me is how they've managed to deliver the full Far Cry experience in such a short game. To do EVERYTHING - i.e. take over all bases, complete story, random exploration, hunting all animals, getting all collectibles, all side quests etc. takes around 8 hours, and even on Hard the game isn't much of a challenge. Despite the short length, it is perhaps one of the most action-packed, no-fillers shooters ever. The level of comedy, references, quotes are better than any other shooter I've come across. I'd go as far as saying that if you have never played a Far Cry game before, this is the best one to play! It still retains the essence of Far Cry - it's all about survival, still has that Rambo bad-ass feel to it and rewards stealth. In some respects it's more similar to the original game because of the dragons, which can be compared to the mutants but only much cooler. In summary, Blood Dragon is a great shooter. Although its length can be criticised, one must remember that the game was not sold as a full title. Personally I think it could easily be a $35 game given the quality and entertainment value. If you've yet to play a Far Cry game and you're a fan of shooters and cyberpunk themes, Blood Dragon is a must-play. Expand
  99. Apr 11, 2014
    Far Cry 3 : The Eighties Edition. Feels like home.
    A game that has a very DLC feeling to it. Only one island with standard guns, 16 garrisons and about 6 hours of overall gameplay.

But whatever man...it features the 80`s as main star!
    Just about everything we love about those years is there. Michael Biehn, corny oneliners, training montage, sci-fi theme, neons, wacky scientists,
    robots and...dragons.
    Besides that this game is little different than Far Cry 3, just as much fun but not as big, so no use talking about the game mechanics.

One single flaw of it is that you don`t get to fight the main villain at the very end. That`s a -1 right there! So instead of 9, it gets an 8/10.
  100. Jun 16, 2014
    If you loved Far Cry 3, you should love this.
    If you loved the 80's, you should love this.
    If you tried Far Cry 3 because you heard it was Skyrim with guns, you were disappointed...
    However, this one has dragons so you might want to give it another shot...

1. Jul 3, 2013
    Although it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a surprisingly good game.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    It's Far Cry 3 dressed as trashily as you can imagine; the joke only goes so far, but it's definitely fun to play. [July 2013, p.90]
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Like wandering through a theme park dedicated to the excess of 80s blockbuster entertainment, Blood Dragon takes Far Cry’s proven gameplay formula and adds humour, a new coat of paint and a script free from qualms of narrative dissonance.