8.2

1. Dec 4, 2012
    As much as I tried to like this game, the extremely dragged out crysis experience ultimately forced me to give up on it. Enemy AI is laughable, stealth is terribly broken with "the enemy must see your face and you must see theirs" logic, gathering materials feels like an MMORPG grind-quest, healing system is dumbed down and becomes laughable as to either spend skill points to have an infinite amount of first aid that fully heals you after some time or constantly run around in the woods, looking for green herbs so you can constantly inject yourself with syringes. If you jump on say, a hill that's going two degrees down-hill, you will stumble and damage yourself, AKA dislocating your thumb for 1 bar of damage. If you shoot a silenced sniper rifle 5000 yards away, enemies will still rush to the exact spot where the weapon was fired. If you get knocked down by an enemy to the ground, struggle with quick time events and get up with low hp left, you will instantly die as the enemy will spam melees, effectively spawn-camping you. Yes, animals as well. I could go on and on and on about the countless amount of flaws and smelly design choices in this game but at the end of the day, it is a polished turd that has been dumbed down version of Far Cry that tries to be a cinematic version of Crysis with graphics with little regard to the original series as it tries to force-feed you a story using a wooden spoon with splinters. Stay away from this title as a fan or get into it with small/no expectations. Expand
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    The game feels shallow. You earn money to fast, gain hides and plants to fast (for making bags, syringes etc.) and you have access to all weapons you want in nearly 2 hours. That's also how many hours it takes to have the feeling that you've been there and done that. The island, environment, characters etc. look good, forgiving the somewhat outdated graphics. Unfortunately every piece of the island looks the same, as do all camps, cars, trees, bushes, caves, pirates etc. So why should you explore every corner of it? Gameplay is solid; weapons handle very tight, although a bit to tight, wich makes killing foes a piece of cake. Every weapon handles the same. Driving cars is weird, you get the feeling you glide over the road with a immense and unrealistic speed. Story is a bit ridiculous, but finely interwoven in the game with scènes that make you dizzy because the protagonist (your character) shakes his head left and right, up and down like a headbanger from the early '90s. It's a shame the game gets so boring after a while, but climbing towers, getting rid of pirates in camps, going from A to B to continue the story - which is necessarry to continue your leveling progress, which forces you to stop what you want to do and follow the linear storyline - is fun the first few times you do it. But I quit after three hours or so, bored by the forgettable side-quests, story and tropical world. And i think many will not see the end of the game as well or will continue, forced to see the end. A cliche ending which can be found on YouTube; the easy solution. A Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    I'm giving this game 2 points, and that's for the graphics. I was severely disappointed by the title. Ive long been a Far Cry fan, and loved nothing more than cranking up the difficulty and planning my strategy filled attacks on outposts. Well what this game did was take the things that separated Far Cry 2 from the rest of first-person shooters, and scraped them. The excessive HUD and imbecilic AI turn you into a god, and every element of realism is eliminated. Money is so easy to obtain it's laughable; Dollar bills just laying around on every table in a poverty stricken island nation? Furthermore, the prospect of "Free Weapons" for just climbing a radio tower isn't logical at all. Not only that, but they remove weapon degradation and jamming, field surgery, and actual physical maps? Its obvious the developers noticed that a higher profit could be yielded if they literally dumbed down the title and removed any hint of sophistication as to cater to the 12 year-old COD fanboy demographic. It's as if the last true video game title made by a large developer has been ruined and turned into another over-cinematic arcade shooter (that has been so popular since the 4th Call of Duty) that requires no thought or skill (other than the famed "no-scope" that has grown so popular in the tween circles.) I can at-least be satisfied in that this game is going to bring the community one step closer to noticing the clear capitalistic motives of main stream developers that trump any motivation to create an original, good, game, and one step closer to relying on the indie developers that are creating today's innovative games. Now allow me to step off my soap-box. P.S If you're a 12 year-old console COD fanboy, do us true gamers a favor, and put your parents money toward something of quality (like meth, or cyanide), and stop ruining this industry. Collapse
  4. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    I am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocre textures, bad cartoonish looking grass...and the water and water effects look like they were done with the Windows paint program. Let's take a look at a game like Dirt Showdown, for example, and compare it to this game. When you max out Dirt Showdown, you can really tell the difference, in Far Cry 3 you can't, but your computer takes a huge performance hit for no reason at all. Another game, The Witcher 2 (which is only directx9) the water effects in the Witcher 2 are absolutely stunning, because it looks like real water and when you step in water, there are ripple effects in the puddles, and that is only DX9! Another prominent example is Skyrim, the new textures they added are absolutely stunning, both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim look like they would be DX11, although they are not. When you are playing Skyrim and walking through Solitude, it feels as though you are actually in a real village, your character model looks impressive and you can see the detail on your armor and weapons. The rocks on the trails in Skyrim are impressive, and the water, though not as impressive as in The Witcher 2, still looks better than the 2D "DX11" water in Far Cry 3. Like I said, compare Far Cry 3 to any of these other games, and you will see what I mean. (P.S. compare it with the 2-3 year old Just Cause 2, and you'll definitely see what I mean). Expand
  6. Dec 5, 2012
    It doesn't deserve 0 but the user score is too high for such a game. If we keep the game and the product as 2 separate things, the product is messy and full of bugs. It keeps crashing on me and the DX11 adds nothing to the graphics. The game doesn't give you any real challenge but the multiplayer. All challenges and missions are easy as pie and the hud (that or some npc doing things you don't get to do) does the work for you while exploring pointing out where to go and what to push. Cutscenes, qte's and explosive barrels are everywhere to the point it hurts as if health regen coupled with loads of meds were not enough to break the game to the point fall damage works better than shetloads of bullets. It truly feels like an xbox360 exclusive and unless you like pain and play it with a xbox controller your disappointment will know no bounds. And the quests.....i guess it's a good game if you enjoy killing animals over and over again? Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA games these days), the multiplayer is very mediocre, and on the whole, there is practically no replay value. Most of the game's features that are somewhat interesting are soon revealed to be nothing more than gimmicks. Prior to playing the game, I was very excited for the hunting/crafting aspect of the game, and while it was admittedly quite fun hunting exotic animals to craft bigger and better equipment, crafting everything only takes about 2 hours. After which point, there's no need to hunt another animal ever again (unless you're a sadist), as the animal skins are practically worthless. Unsurprisingly, the various animals soon become nothing more than an annoyance. Moreover, any real difficulty that could've been associated with hunting is ruined by being able to tag animals with your camera, and track them anywhere (in real time). There are some boring Path of the Hunter side quests (go here and kill x number of a certain animal), but with the ease and rate at which experience points and money both come, there's no need to ever bother with any of them.

Capturing bases is also quite monotonous; due to dim-witted and illogical AI, capturing a base "undetected" is incredibly easy. You'd think if an enemy found a body with a 50 calibre bullet-hole through its head, they'd raise the alarm, right? Wrong. All that happens is they enter an "alerted" state, where they begin to scour the premises for the intruder (i.e. you). Even when they're in this state, you can still kill them (with even a grenade launcher, if you so please), and so long as no-one's stared at you for 5 consecutive seconds, it's counted as capturing the base "undetected". Oh, and as if it weren't easy enough already, you can track enemies with your camera too, in real time. Ridiculous.

These are just a few of Far Cry 3's ill-conceived design implementations. Others include: merchants deciding to give you free weapons after you climb up a radio tower (?), everything important flashing bright yellow (as if you were too stupid to determine a loot chest from a cardboard box), and being able to see the location of every "collectible" on the map (which really defeats the purpose; instead of trying to find ancient ruins and secret passages, you know exactly each of them are, and it just becomes dull travelling and fetching).

The story is incredibly cliched, and has terrible character development; a kid who has "never shot anyone before" can fire an gun at 100% accuracy with no recoil as soon as he picks it up. There are some Alice in Wonderland quotes thrown in that are supposed to mirror the story, but end up coming off as cringe-worthy. Regardless, I'm sure they'll impress idiots and pseudo-intellectuals alike. Even towards the end of the game, I didn't care about the Rakyat at all; I often killed them as soon as they drove into my newly-captured base just so I didn't have to listen to one of them tell me to check out the bulletin board for the 20th time. Graphically, the game is nothing really special. Serious LOD discrepancies, especially with distant objects, and flickering textures and shadows make the game look very sub-par. Some objects do not even have distant levels of detail, and just dissolve in from thin air when you're a certain distance away. Bloom lighting makes everything overbright, however, the sun-glare effect is very nice. Also, the visuals during hallucinogenic drug-induced scenes are very impressive.

After completing the main story and capturing every base, there's effectively no point in continuing to play, since no enemies remain on the island, which makes free roaming incredibly boring. There is also very little replay value, since it's incredibly easy to gain every skill, and the stealth approach is almost always preferable to going in guns blazing.

Conclusively, I'd only recommend getting this game to someone who has a lot of money to waste, and wants to be entertained for 10 hours or so before never playing it again. There are much better open-world shooters out there, such as the GOTY Edition of Fallout 3, and GTA IV, which cost about a quarter of the price and last more than four times as long.
  8. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 should be considered yet another epic failure (remake) of the second instalment in the series, all I can say is that I would like my money back (not possible) and please stop screwing us over.
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    I got this game and at first I was very excited, back to the jungle, finally. I thought at first as I watched the Jack Carver-esque army guy kill guards and escape while my character whined like a little girl about everything, that you would take over the role of said army guy. Then army guy gets shot and I realize I am going to be this whiny 16 year old that after skinning hundreds of animals still says eewee every time he does it. This game has a couple minor issues with the ai and mildly repetitive side missions, but aside from that, the game play is a solid 10. The guns feel really good, they sound amazing, sitting on the couch playing on the TV with a 360 controller and my amazing PC is a huge bonus, unfortunately he story, is downright ABYSMAL and seems to do everything it can to make you not want to play the game. My 2 year old could have written a better story. An easy fix would have been the 16 year old getting shot, and the 30 year old special forces trained bad ass brother going on a murderous rampage would have made a LITTLE more sense, but that's just me. Whoever made the decision on that on should be beaten severely. He constantly complains while effortlessly killing hundreds of people like it is what he was born to do. I just do not see how someone could possibly think that would be a good design decision. Now on to another note, the game does have a co-op mode with actual BELIEVABLE characters. The only reason I gave this game any points was the co-op mode and probably the best looking jungle foliage I have ever seen (the big broad leafed plants look M-azing) and the sandbox elements are somewhat decent, and I still get a little scared every time I hear a tiger growl in the bushes or a bear growl, as they are as you would expect, extremely dangerous. The Breakdown:

STORY:-20/20:The story in this game is so bad I have to give it negative points, as it just makes no sense and you are reminded of it every time the main character speaks, and I agree with Vaas, hes a little chicken **** How it is Jason, and not the older brother who was chosen as a main character is beyond me. Someone should be fired over that. It is seriously the rotten core to a majestic oak of a game. GRAPHICS:20/20: The plats trees and shrubs look amazing. Light transitions are so wonderfully done I can feel my pupil dilating. Water is superbly done, with ripples on the surface looking and behaving realistically. The sun, sunrays, and reflections are some of the best I have ever seen and it runs wonderfully on a single 560ti and a 3820 @4.6 and 16 gigs ddr3quad 1866 on ultra settings 1920x1080.

GAMEPLAY: 5/20- Gunplay is fantastic, combat is fun, and enemies are only mildly retarded. The hunting mechanic is a nice diversion tho as soon as you get the extended pouches becomes completely irrelevant as you animal skins are worth less than a crumpled pack of smokes.

SOUND: 15/20: The sound is really good, and I normally only mention audio if its bad. The gun sounds in particular are extremely realistic and oh so enjoyable, and make me feel like I am shooting a gun and not a string of black cats(firecrackers) Distances are accurate and I get scared hearing a tiger growling in the bush Only points subtracted for the girlish nature of the main characters voice.

REPLAYABILITY: 0/20: As fun as the combat is, and as pretty as things look, I just do not see myself playing this game again if I even finish my first play-through. Side missions are incredibly repetitive, the story is just BAD, the main character is seriously the worst character ever, they should have just not had him talk at all. He literally killed this game for me and I really don't know if I will finish it once. TOTAL:20 out of 100. Final thoughts:I really have never been more shocked at any single gamplay element of a game more than the choice of a main character in farcry 3 and that is rally just the tip of the iceberg as far as completely illogical unbelievable story issues go. This really would have been an amazing game if it just had a better main character, but as bad as Jason is it ruined the game for me. My girlfriend walked in while I was skinning something and asked why he was saying eew (apparently hes a little chicken **** **** asked if he did that every time(unfortunately), and wrinkled her nose like she smelled something bad and said "really?", its that terrible. I just do not understand why....thank god crysis 3 looks incredibly promising, or I would have sold off every bit of Ubisoft stock I own and invested it in Bohemia Interactive, which I may do anyway, since they still make computer games for adults, rather than take the creative dump that is farcry 3 and try to sell it for 59.99 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME). Pre-packaged DLC should just be called "content", not "bonus material". I will never buy any game that has a pre order bonus that is "extra" ingame content, nor did I buy this one.
  10. wdb
    Dec 4, 2012
    wtf. this game sucks right out of the box. what was ubisoft thinking? all they had to do was take farcry2 and add some new maps and story lines. wheres the system link? what about those of us who don't have high speed internet? we have been traped twice and had to reboot. i'm sure its filled with lots of bugs like that. it dosen't teturn to your last save. when a mission is completed all other enemy's disappears and you return to a safe spot unsure what happened. too much gagits not enough substance. Expand
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    An overrated commercial release. The story starts out great. However, it crosses slowly into ridiculous and ends up being an entirely idiotic scoff-fest. It is the story of a 19-year old american kid who never fired a gun or saw a man get killed in his life, who goes forth to become a guerilla warfare expert and the "chosen one" of an ancient tribe of warriors in a matter of days. They even stated it was supposed to be satirical, when it is actually a poor excuse of a story in a full-priced game. It has a bunch of interesting characters which have way too little time on-screen, and a bunch of other characters who are just bland and forgettable. Gameplay seems amazing at first, but after a couple of hours it just becomes repetitive and absurdly easy. The game's health system is easily manipulated with either stabbing yourself continuously with a syringe or digging out a bullet from your forearm for the 50th time. The stealth system in there is just a poor attempt at realism, as all enemies behave like they have Alzheimer's and cataract. Crafting any syringe other than the health one is more trouble than it's worth, and bag-making is just a ladder you will complete quickly. The game has some good voice acting and sound effects, and finally there is the graphics, which are the game's only saving grace. It gets a 3 for the graphics and for the poker and knife-throwing mini-games which end up being more fun than the main gameplay. Expand
  12. Jan 14, 2013
    There are two adjectives to sum up the overall experience of playing Far Cry 3: beautifully boring. Far Cry 3 is a lovely game to look at whilst playing, mostly. However it's performance suffers immensely due to the demanding graphics. I have other games in my inventory that look just as good as Far Cry 3 yet they yield a much more enjoyable performance from my desktop PC. This game is demanding on system specs and playing with full graphic settings requires a system that would likely be overkill even for the infamously demanding game titled ArmA. The game play is lousy. I have played many shooters and the worst one I have played to date is Kane & Lynch, the reason for bringing up that title is because Far Cry 3 feels like the horrendous shooter that Kane & Lynch turned out to be. When I buy a video game I always play it at its highest difficulty setting. Difficult does not exist in Far Cry 3. I finished the game, playing a few hours a day, in under a week. I like a challenging shooter that requires tact and finesse. Far Cry 3 is a lousy shooter. It is too easy to aim and noticed several times that my aim doesn't need to be true in order to get that head shot kill. Throughout the entire game I felt as if I were playing a shooter with a Nerf gun. The warring experience never felt legit or realistic and most of the time it feels like a cartoon. Furthermore the game is far too easy to play and even worse is that the AI is always predictable and boring and never provide any challenge. Don't even get me started with the mechanics of the AI! If you make some commotion near an enemy camp, even whilst well hidden from a vantage point, the AI always comes looking for you towards your general vicinity. They don't span out and scour the entire area around the camp to find you, they come directly to where you are hiding but even though they come straight for you they are often easily repelled and after five minutes the enemy camp is free and friendly AI start to spawn instantly. Do this over and over and over again. The aspect of freeing the island of enemy camps feels like a chore and the job quickly becomes boring and increasingly non-challenging. The story is the saddest part of Far Cry 3. Did a grade 6 student write this during his free time? Far Cry 3's storyline is absolutely appalling and lame. The cut scenes are impossible to skip which is incredibly frustrating because the story is weak and the voices are poorly acted, also the cut scenes are often way too lengthy. This game feels like a movie. If I want to watch scripted scenes I will watch a movie. I play video games for the challenging aspect that the game should provide. Far Cry 3 however provides no challenge with its game play. It is a mediocre shooter at best with clumsy controls that are not user friendly for the keyboard/mouse players. All this garbage and nonsense is all wrapped up in the beautiful scenery which efficiently camouflages the game's flaws. If you like a pretty video game. Go ahead. Far Cry 3 is for you. If you're a true gamer looking for a challenge, stay well away from Far Cry 3. This is one game that will be collecting dust on my shelf along with all the other games with poor re playability. Expand
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    A very consolish game other may have already discussed in every detail. What irks me the most tho it's the genocide of every living thing in the island. I'm all for action but only when shooting and moving fast take place at the same time, something you can't do without vehicles. In far cry 3 the best you can get is onrail stuff and animal insides galore. Why didn't i pirate this s**t?
  14. Dec 10, 2012
    I can not express how utterly disappointed I am with this game. It is a complete waste of time. First of all, it's far too easy to die and there's really no reward for staying alive except to circumvent respawning in some random location with an indeterminate amount of progress lost. It is literally impossible to figure out how much progress you've lost short of referencing how much ammo you have when your last save loads compared to how much you had before you died. Second, the enemy AI is horrible. You can shoot them with a silenced rifle from 1000 yards and they will, in most cases, establish your exact position immediately. Third, after you upgrade all your bags from animal hides, animals cease to have a purpose other than ambushing you while you're trying to sneak up on the enemy. Fourth, I've actually lost missions and had to load a previous save because my AI controlled "allies" randomly showed up and killed the person I was supposed to assassinate. Fifth, there is only one active quest at a time. You are never allowed to pursue more than one goal at any given time and despite supposed "updates" the game will remind you of your current mission objective with a huge pop-up every two minutes. The list goes on and on. But these aren't minor things. These are game-breaking flaws that completely ruin the experience. It's like this game was play-tested, but never fun-tested. Expand
  15. Dec 5, 2012
    Honestly this game is a 4 at best, it is NOT skyrim with guns (whatever dimwit came up with that needs to be ended), or the best fps ever, or even very much fun. The user score on here disgusts me. So this is basically 3 games using 1 engine.. the story, the co-op, and the multi-player. The multiplayer is straight up garbage, theres alot of multiplayer FPS games that do it so much better than FC3 that it was kind of stupid to even waste $ developing it when they could have made the story or the co-op better (so that alone=NOT A 10!). The co-op is i guess ok IF you have 3 others to play with, but the structure is stupid and with less than 3 you are totally fighting an uphill battle (not FUN). It gets repetitive REAL fast and you find yourself asking "why not just play borderlands 2?" or any of the other games that AGAIN do it so much better. Again this was a waste of development $'s though if they had gone for a completely different feel (like dead island or borderlands) it could probably have been quite alot of fun. So right there thats 2/3 game modes that are garbage (and that means it cant even be a 7/10).

The story mode.. IS "ok". it looks nice (though i feel like it would bend over for rico to be as awesome as just cause 2) and the gameplay concept is good, it really is a handsome game. The mechanics are FILTH though! The crafting is just a system to make bigger storage containers for various munitions and some other things (arrows, heal potions, various combat buffs), its NOT like you can craft more than 1 bag or sell anything you have crafted though. The whole process of killing things and then looting their skins (or anything else really) is completely destroyed by the idiotic hit boxes that the carcasses have which means looting is NEVER fun! You mostly spend your time trying NOT to swap weapons that are laying on the ground NEXT to the body you are trying to loot, or trying to target the BEAR (yea.. a fkn bear carcass should ALWAYS be really hard to target..laying on the ground ...dead) to get his skin. You can sell the skins and plants you pick (hard core survivalists always run around picking flowers..) but there isnt really too much $ in it and until you craft a bigger bag its a real pain in the ass to carry such things around. The A.I. is probably about that of a deaf retard, I throw a rock 3 feet away it ignores it, i stare at them from in a bush they cant see me (even when i reload 2 feet away from them...) i have literally taken out entire outposts hiding in the same bush. If you dont like how your plan is going you can always run away (from outposts anyways, some of the instances obviously you cant) and come back later (after buying more ammo for your sniper rifle) and pick off the stragglers (provided you make it a point to shoot all the alarms. i think i was more afraid of the animals because of their unpredictability than i was the actual enemy soldiers.

The whole thing with shutting down towers to get guns was also a real dumb idea, step 1: deactivate every tower on the first island and then go claim all your free guns and upgrade them, step 2: repeat on second island. I can ALMOST buy it letting you have NEW guns, but why would they be free? and beyond that THE SIGNATURE GUNS MAKE ALL OTHERS GARBAGE ANYWAYS!

Positives, not gonna lie there are some. The characters are very interesting and have magnetic personalities... well the main ones, not all the red-shirts you mow down. There are alot of minigame type things to do (though most are pointless since you dont really need money for much aside from ammo) for...those people (the sad examples of "gamers" the game was obviously intended for). There is also something to be said in that i never got the "kill all the black people" feeling i got playing far cry 2. It runs fluidly on my system (which kind of tells you anyone who it DOESNT run smoothly for either doesnt have the hardware to be playing it to begin with or needs to get their drivers/redistributables in order) and looks nice, 3d support isnt great though.

Overall, again its a 5/10. 2 modes are crap and the remaining one should have a "games for retards" sticker on it (though it will no doubt appeal to the skyrim crowd.. skill-less, tasteless, wankers that they are). The only redeeming features are eye candy and a good cast of characters who are superbly voice acted (which is THE LAST THING I CARE ABOUT WHEN I BUY A FPS). Im glad i only paid 35$ for it, because anything more would be a ripoff.
  16. Dec 9, 2012
    As much I've looked forward to this game and tried to give it a chance, I am not enjoying Far Cry 3. Starting with the positive: the game looks good, the day light looks great and the environment is vast and rather varied. There seems to be a lot of missions and some of the action scenes are quite good fun.

However, this game is nowhere near the quality of other recent games such as The
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (heavily quoted by the makers of Far Cry 3 as an influence on the game) or, say, Batman: Arkham City for the state-of-the-art action gameplay. Instead, Far Cry 3 delivers a 'deja-vu' experience, peppered with some novelties (wild animals interactions, distractions, etc.). The AI isn't bad but attacking a guard post is an extremely similar experience to Far Cry 2. There are some graphical glitches which also tend to break the immersion at regular intervals.

But above all, it's the evident lack of taste in Far Cry 3 that's the most disappointing. You would think the developpers would have tried and topped Far Cry 2's overly simplistic, borderline racist plot line. Well, no they haven't. The story in Far Cry 3 is laughable, I cannot believe a single second of it. Dialogues are poorly written and acted out, nothing makes sense, the characters aren't at all three-dimensional. Everything goes too fast, it's shortcut after shortcut. People just send you on random erranands as if no-one else in the world was capable of blowing that ammunition depot. The vilain is a vilain because he is bad and that's what he does (being bad). You play the young white American who's turning into this unexpected master of violence to save your friends who are being held captive for some obscure reason. If you've enjoyed the intricate plot lines of the likes of LA Noire, Dishonnered or Skyrim, then you'll laugh your head off at Far Cry 3's lame attempt at a story.

Many elements of gameplay also break the illusion and ruin a good part of the fun: Jason walks super-fast. Running or swimming will remind you of the speed mode of Crysis 1's Nanosuit. Also, looting is badly designed: you can't choose what you loot from bodies, and therefore end up carrying all sorts of crap which you don't need or want. Emptying your inventory of this crap is the most tedious task - you'll haveto point-and-click 4 times per item you wish to remove. And that's something you have to do all the time. Also if you're hoping to enjoy visiting the island like you did in Crysis 1 or like you would explore your surroundings in GTA, think again. You can't lower your weapon, which means that when you're just looking at the landscape or plucking medicinal plants, you'll have to do that which a machine gun in front of your face. You can't walk slowly either, which is particularly ridiculous when people go 'follow me' and you have to try and stay behind them although they can walk but you can only run.

In short, Far Cry 3 is yet another shooter with a dreadful story (other reviewers have called 'offensive' and I can really see why). It will please immature players who just want to look at candy and run over tigers in a jeep, but if you're looking for a rich and intelligent gaming experience, save your money.
  17. Feb 18, 2013
    I've played both far cry 1 and 2 and I can honestly say that the third installment to the series is probably the weakest. The first game was way ahead of it's time and I played that game for years. The second game was a mixed bag. It had some components to it that were a first for the genre like pulling bullets out of your body and having to fix your gun from being jammed to having to fix your broken down vehicle. The little things are what make or break a game imo, things like looking down and actually being able to see your feet or when you reach for something you see your hand extend and you pick it up or turn the handle. I can't stand it when things just teleport into my inventory or doors magically open. These are easy things to fix and they immerse you into the game. Unfortunately far cry 2's AI was some of the worst I have ever seen in a game. The graphics and fire were amazing, but only a couple of things kept the game from being one of the best FPS's of all time; bad AI and having to travel for miles and miles. I was hoping that Far Cry 3 would take the best things from both games and make a masterpiece. WRONG. The story isn't bad, but it's hard to really immerse yourself into the game, wanting to be like Rambo, when you are in control of a whimpy, whinny little teenage kid. The fact that right away the Island dwellers want you to save their homeland and you simply agree to it is ridiculous, not to mention they want you to do all the work! My most anticipated part of the whole game was the hunting aspect because when I played Crysis 1 I absolutely love hunting the enemy in the jungle. In Far Cry 3, the possibility of being attacked by a shark swimming to your boat or getting eaten by an alligator or tiger is pretty cool, but it wears off pretty quickly when you have to do it just to make bigger holsters for weapons and ammo all the time. Sorry but I don't want to go hunt some stupid goat or pig just to see some horribly inaccurate stab animation with a knife and pull out its organs. At least make the animation realistic. The menus, while not terrible, are far from the best I have used. Something really annoying is that I spent a good half hour trying to figure out how to make explosive tip arrows, finally just giving up and googling it to find out that they are just magically accessible once you get so far into the main story. It would have been nice to have that explained in the weapons info page. I got to hang glide, but that was surprisingly boring. Not much to see really and no point in doing it. There are like fifty different ways to get somewhere and hang gliding as slow as molasses is not my cup of tea. The graphics are a huge disappointment. When you zoom in with your camera, you can see pop in and textures that are all out of place. I maxed out the video settings, but why put my pc through that when I can play at lower settings and see pretty much zero difference? Glad they put in all those settings...too bad they don't do anything relevant aside from bogging down your system. Console port for sure. Btw, I would like to know where to buy one of those amazing cameras that can somehow track enemies and animals in real time. Pretty amazing. Amazingly dumb that is. If you want to just shoot guns you're in for a real treat because getting all of them is as easy as pie. Just climb all the radio towers and they become free in all the stores. Lame'o. About the fifth mission in, they tell you to explore the island, which I did, and by the time I started my next mission, I was so over powered that it was a cake walk clearing out enemy encampments. I mean seriously, what is the point of exploring an island when everything is already displayed on your map? I have no incentive to keep playing this game because everything is handed over on a silver platter. Btw, Uplay is extremely annoying. I was without internet for like two weeks and it became readily apparent that without internet this game is pretty much unplayable. Like steam, you have to log on in order to log off to play offline. We need a better solution people. All in all, this game is a huge disappointment. This games biggest flaw is that after about three hours of playtime, you really have no reason to continue, aside from the lame story that is. An open world sandbox game should be more fun than this. In a nutshell, this game is just plain boring. Expand
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    Underwhelming and over hyped. Once the world opens up to you, the game becomes a series of tedious exercises in collecting plants and animal hides to work around the ridiculous caps on money, ammo, and equipment the game saddles you with. Worst part about the crafting system is the specificity of materials required for a given upgrade. For example, collect two hides of species X for the first upgrade. Congratulations! Next, collect two hides of species Y who is only found on the other side of the **** island! Why does the same item require leather from a specific sub species of tapir when boar hide was good enough for the first upgrade? The map doesn't tell you which animal icons are what animal, so most of the time it's blind luck you're after the right one. The side missions are silly mini games that undercut the atmosphere of gritty survival the game attempts to conjure. Much like Far Cry 2, stealth sucks because enemies instantly know where your position is even when using a silenced sniper rifle. The story is terrible and I could give two **** about the main character and his obnoxious friends. I'm tired of open world games that craft a visually stunning world with the promise of exploration and adventure only to populate it with tantalizing caves and abandoned buildings whose only point of interest turn out to be a wooden crate with a shark tooth necklace and absurdly repetitive side missions/farming tasks. Also, no predatory cat should be able to withstand half a magazine 7.62 rounds from an AK-47 when it takes two rounds to down a human NPC. It's like Red Dead Redemption's cougars all over again. Expand
  19. Dec 23, 2012
    Another prime example of mass produced casual garbage. That's what happens when you start producing games assembly line style. Games aren't shoes or tv's, a good game requires more than just putting pieces together in the same way that good music is made up of more than just sounds. Yes, technically music is just sounds, yet without vision and creativity that's also all it will ever be. Far Cry 3 is just a compilation of things and ideas that were copied and stolen from elsewhere thrown together, it lack's both creativity and vision and it shows at every corner. Far Cry 3 isn't an immersive masterpiece full of wonder, it's a compilation of mini games placed on the least immersive island ever conceived in video game history. It offers not even the slightest illusion of being a real place with real people. Everywhere is blinking crap and money lying around. Each 20 people village got a weapon dealer, and cars are waiting at every corner for a new owner. And the least immersive thing of them all, the blinking weapons and ammunition vendor machine! Yes, you heard me right, a weapons and ammunition vendor machine that even blinks! Holy crap! That thing beats it all, I don't believe I ever saw something more immersion breaking in a video game than this blinking vendor machine! So there we are, the least immsive island in video history and a complete lack of creativity and vision. And it gets even worse. Yes, surprisingly, it's still possible to get worse! I'm talking about Ubi and their desire to make games more accessible. For those who don't know already, accessible when it comes to game design usually means that anyone without any skill or even a working brain should be able to play it without difficulty. And that at least they managed, it's so easy and simplified that anyone not fully brain dead yet should take care not to play for prolonged periods of time or their brains might really die out of boredom. All in all, it's a prime example of mass produced casual garbage. Just what I expected from Ubi. Expand
  20. Dec 20, 2012
    The first 2 hours I played this game I thought it could be pretty good. I wanted to be able to carry more items, so I decided to start it by crafting some bags. As it turns out, I only needed to kill 4 of each animal to craft everything, so animals become useless pretty early. While I was doing that, every 2 minutes or so, a pop up shows up in the upper left corner reminding me of the quest I could be doing. Its like the game believes I forgot what I should do instead of letting me play it however I want to. Trying to ignore that, I proceed by climbing some radio towers to unlock the map. After climbing 4 towers, I have a free light machine gun, sniper rifle, flamethrower waiting for me at every item shop. Also, I can heal myself whenever I want.
    The enemy pirates (all dressed in red so you dont confuse them with the good guys, which wear blue) dont stand a chance. Having played 2 and a half, maybe 3 hours of the game, I dont see why I should keep playing. I already have way too strong weapons, crafted everything I needed (Im lacking some hunter path items or something, but I have enough capacity as it is) and the unlockable skills dont look very interesting. I mean, why would I care for reloading 25% faster when the game is really easy as it it? I dont know, the idea of being a survivor in a dangerous island had potential, but for me it is ruined by having huge weapons from the start, ammo and money everywhere, the ability to heal to full health by cracking my thumb, useless wild life, lame AI (they dont spot you unless you let them see you for 10 seconds or so, and if you block their line of sight before that, its like nothing happened.), boring characters and repetitive gameplay. I wanted to like this, maybe try again with the survivor idea?
  21. Dec 6, 2012
    All I gotta say is UBI lost a really great customer, i had high hopes and expectations but it let me down.. The SP is pretty neat but can use some work like the whole upgrading using animal skins and organs, not that i'm scarred of it but because it seems rather lame (same goes to not being able to skip cut scenes-LAME), there's also when you go to do a mission once you enter the mission zone you cannot leave the area until its been completed or mission failed. One more thing, you can't save and expect it to save the spot that your at/in you have to finish a mission then it will successfully save your progress. As for MP I would like to start of with server names, whats a server without its own name? its more of a room, second you cannot host a dedicated server nor can you have admin privilege's of your own server, UBI servers take care of all the voting and banning not the players, also no lobbies. What's an action game without any aumo piles around on the custom maps? how am i suppose to refill my gun with aumo? die and revive? The servers and game themselves do all the work for you like choosing a server, you can't join a server and expect its gonna be the right server (the one with all your friends in it) also my connection cannot even support this game, this means i have a fully paid for game but the connection will not work simply due to the fact my latency is far too high. I ran away from COD games a long time ago and this game feels alot like COD (in MP mode) and with that it makes me an unhappy camper. There is no more LAN like FC2 had but you can always play COOP via ubisoft servers but you can't play it on just your network/LAN.. I'm upset with it, thought it was gonna be awesome, thought it was gonna be much more interesting than the old FC2 but its not one bit. Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    This game has a case of consolitus. Allows you to reconfigure WASD-movement keys, but then reverts back to hard-coded defaults for some vehicles - better get used to using WASD if you're not using those already. Also doesn't work too great with high-DPI mice - sensitivity can be adjusted but only up to a point. There's also a bug that distorts mouse-response for fast movements at low-sensitivity values making it impossible to do quick 180s or use reflex-aiming - not pleasant if you're a hardcore PC FPS gamer. The HUD is mostly okay, but navigating the menus does get a cumbersome after a while.

The checkpoint saving system I also found to be somewhat frustrating, it doesn't make it very obvious exactly when the game's been saved, and I've already had a few instances where I thought my progress had been saved and had to restart the game, but ended up losing some progress anyway.

In the end, no matter how to good the game might be - after struggling with above issues for nearly an hour and then having to deal with servers being down, I felt like I was fighting the game itself more than the actual enemies and gave up.
  23. Dec 6, 2012
    Game play is generic and not that different than competitors IE Deus Ex. The ending of the story (both) is (are) abominable. Race and societal issues are dealt with carelessly and it shows. Quests are extremely repetitive, very little world change other than instant-bad-guy-vanishing once capturing an outpost. Player has no choice in the story and when they do, they are forced into a false dichotomy and deux-ex-machina twists that are just pointless. Because they have nothing better to say they just do knee-jerk twists that end up with a knife in somebody's throat, this happened like 4 times. It often quotes Alice in Wonderland but it fails to capture the actual message of Alice in Wonderland by falsely creating two archetypes for a character, that is, mad jungle-man and respectable civilized man that the character is pushed into without their consent. Mediocre at best, terrible at worst. Expand
  24. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game does one thing well: illustrates the corruption in the next generation of so-called game reviewers- the ones who grew up doing this instead of being accomplished in other things who reviewed games on the side. Considering how bad farcry 2 was and how 3 simply expanded upon this 'badness,' I was amazed to read what was a lucy in the sky with diamonds series of reviews of this game.
    Plot unengaging & full of racial stereotypes (from great white hunter to evil black men thugs/pirates, but amusingly all the mercenaries are whitish) where the open world rules only apply to running around skinning animals and finding trinkets. Each actual mission to progress the story line, if you look at level design forces you to play it linearly. I guess someone had read King Solomon's mines and decided to rip off the idea of, 'Africa will not let me die,' concept and apply it to the great white hype that is Jason Brody. The rapid transition from worthless vacation yuppie to immediately perfectly aiming skills, deftly dispatching island warriors is implausible - even if the fear of boring the target audience pushes the game in this direction. The scenes of love making are not love making, it is rape. You are being raped by Citra while intoxicated on magic juice- this in itself should raise red flags.
    The butchery nonsensically of animals is pitiful and teaches only wastefulness to the young gamer- and it gives no real knowledge of how much work is involved in crafting items from animal hide- at least simply bring it to a native to do it for you...
    There should have been a stricter age restriction on this game for language, sex, nudity wanton violence, grey characters with no real sense of good or evil, simply self-serving motivations. Self regulation is not this industry's strong suit, but if you hand over to young minded people the ability to ambivalently murder villagers, the Rakyat (useless savages) and the pirates/mercenaries and then glorify the concept of revenge and celebrate tattooing your body parts as a sign of culture- then you have made your target audience dumber and even more morally ambiguous.

The ending, if you choose to save your friends, has a lie for a statement - again self serving- Jason Brody is given a blank check for all the evil he has done by justifying it by saying he is still good inside- allegory...

There is one saving grace- you can build up your character without even doing a single mission, then fly through the whole game- just go rescue all outposts, radio towers, do those side missions quickly, then run around with a flamethrower, grenade launcher, lmg and smg. You will be unstoppable.

AI: the game designers need to go back and review far cry 1, fear 1, half life 1, system shock 2- and start from scratch- far cry 3, with its 'open world' characters (there are only like, 5 models of natives, 3 of pirates, and so on- yay open world, surrounded by a group of the same faces forever) seems to be thwarted by the most inconvenient of obstacles- walls. A wall and you and the enemy is stopped cold. Either they pull cover right in front of you, get stuck inside a building, or run out in the open firing randomly at you on the hardest difficulty and this is to be assumed great game play...
  25. Dec 25, 2012
    Another overpriced dumbed-down console shooter. About 75% of the spoken dialogue happens to be the word **** I can't imagine how I could be so dumb to pay 60$ for this idiotic piece of society-stultification. As the game market left the PC behind, it also left class and intelligence behind.
  26. Dec 7, 2012
    Too boring. Too long for line shooter, too same for open world. RPG elements looks like dogs fifth leg. Storyline - nothing to talk about. And very bad perfomance - so again waiting for patches.
  27. Dec 16, 2012
    Horrible over-hyped trash! I simply cannot belive the high ratings it got from serious reviewers like PC Gamer, Gamespy, IGN, etc. Have they all gone mad? Far Cry 1 was sooo cool, Far Cry 2 had a great setting, cool guns and fun missions but ultimatetely fell flat due to the stupid checkpoint respawn system. And now Far Cry 3: 1) One hour to get it started 2) only playable if you disable the utter unneccessary uplay 3) worse graphics than FC1 (from 2004!) 4) most annoying UI sever een in a major release 5) boring missions 6) even more boring side-missions 7) laughable AI 8) idiotic design decisions like getting free weapons for climbing radio towers - WTF? 9) unskippable video sequences 10) appalling driving mechanics 11) no quick-saves during missions and 12) BUGS BUGS BUGS!!

Ubisoft used to be one of my favourite publishers but now I hate them so much that I will never ever buy a game from them again.
  28. Apr 14, 2013
    So apparently I am some who just saw his brother get killed. Instead of turning around an raging an trying to murder the bad guy, I have no choice but to run, cause it's scripted. Apparently I can fall an break an be just fine too. Then I wake up to some wierd lookin guy that tells me I am part of some destiny bull**** to help his people.

I get some lame mission to climb a stupid
    tower an break the lock on the panel with the blunt end of the knife. I am not allowed to just drive around, it resets until I complete this stupid quest. This repeats like 3 times then finally I am allowed to just do whatever. So I find out the that killed my brother is on some island to the south. What the am I gonna do... go kill some boars an wtfpwn everything with my awesomesauce fps skills for the 5000th time to unlock some bull**** I dont need or just roll up in there an ****in get the job done.

Of course I choose rambo option. So I head south, an wipe out any resistance along the way, I upgrade from a handgun to an AK-47 and I feel I am well prepared to beat the game. Then I notice it's an island and there is a decent amount of water between it and I. So naturally I go along the coast lookin for a boat. I see some bad guys patrolling in one. I know they are bad cause they wear red, all of them. They must be a corporation of pirates that have to wear uniforms or they get fired.

So anyways I see these dumbasses tootin around in a boat so I shoot my gun at them to attract them. Naturally they can't see a guy on the beach shooting his gun, nor hear it. So I find a boat then chase em down and then finally they see me. So I stop, headshot both guys, then go to their boat.

Oh snap their boat has a mounted 50 cal. Now I am really set to beat the game. So I head towards what I presume is the bad guys base so I can get my revenge. I don't give 2 ****s about saving all the rest of the idiots who got caught, it's not my fault they suck too much to not escape. So as I am driving I get a warning, out of bounds. I say that, maybe they will just do it GTA style an send like a navy of corporate pirates... I can handle that. Then it resets me back to the beach.

End of game. ****ing quit this piece of trash. I don't need to jump through 500 hoops, skin dogs, cats, people or whatever, pick daisies and all this other bull**** just so I can get nifty moves or hold more than 2 clips for my rifle. every bad guy has bullets. I can just kill my way to the top. Apparently I am too advanced for this game though and the story is not ready for me to just surprise him an say hey you man... remember me?

I think that would have been a great cutscene for people that don't want their hands held. Apparently even with the game on the hardest settting, there is no way to play hard mode. you far cry 3. I want my 30 minutes of gameplay back.

End of review.
  29. Dec 8, 2012
    This is the most irritating game I've ever played. I really like the sandbox "part", but the scripted missions are simply awful. Especially the "press [some key] now" scenes. They just ruin everything you like in sandboxes.

The people's AI is, for me, completely unpredictable. Sometimes, you can sit near the enemy and he won't see a thing. On the other hand, it's hard to avoid detection
    sometimes (I don't mind snipers, because they behave correctly). It's just not balanced at all. Special killing skills are sometimes annoying. You stand next to the attacker, who doesn't see you, and you want to eliminate him and his buddy quickly and quietly. But 4 pixels of his arm are still behind a tree or wall, so you can't do that! Instead, you use your knife in the standard way making too much noise. You mess up the whole mission because of those 4 pixels. Extremely annoying!

Why are those little pirate dogs so hard to kill? I have to hit them about 3 or 4 times with my knife to take them down. Our character is so skilled in killing people quickly, why are little dogs such a challenge for him? One hit should be enough. Moreover, the pirates often spot me easily if I kill one with gun from a long distance. Even if the gun is silenced. What the hell is that?

The gameplay design is sometimes just stupid. For example, when I swim, I can't get out of the water if the slope is too steep, even if the floor is just a little above the water level. So I'm a strong warrior and killer, but still unable to go out from a swimming pool without using any ladder. That's completely illogical.

Anyway, I actually like the repetitiveness of the gameplay, but I agree it could be more varied. Far Cry 3 would be better for me without its storyline and lame cinematic "press-one-button" missions. Just plain sandbox with one main goal - defeat pirates and explore as much as you can. Weapons are generally well developed, but I especially like the bow. It's silent and effective. Moreover, its ammo is reusable. Using the bow is like being a native hunter. Especially if you can craft things using animal skins and develop your special skills. I like that part.

Graphics are good enough, but Crysis from 2007 easily outperforms Far Cry 3. The main difference is water. In Far Cry 3 it looks just fake. In Crysis, the water is still almost photo-realistic. Far Cry 3 has some beautiful scenes and decent post-processing effects, but that's not enough. Caves look plastic. Too much of the "glossy effect" on rocks. There's also a bloom effect, which is just overused.

The physics in Far Cry 3 is also worse than in Crysis. In Crysis you can easily cut the trees and chop their wood. Imagine crafting possibilities with that feature. There's no excuse like "limited memory" or "limited processing" (at least on PC), because the game can randomly delete or spawn the destructible trees when needed (like everything else: animals, pirates etc.).

It would be a really good game, but it's too damn irritating to the extent I don't want to play it again. It's just overrated and overpriced. I really wanted to like it, but I can't stand it anymore thanks to some stupid game-design decisions.
  30. Dec 24, 2012
    FC3 is along with AC3 the biggest dissappointment in 2012 / 2013, what bothered me the most is that there is no enemy artificical intelligence at all it seems, all the missions must be played exactly as the level designer made it there is nothing individual, if you dont do things exactly as ubi wants you to do it, the mission failes, i recall that even FC2 or FC1 had a better Enemy AI, and Level Design, so FC3 looks like a downgrade to me. Sure the GFX are nice, but its no destructable environment like Crysis / BF3 has, so half of the nice GFX arent worth it to begin with. Also the looting, the treasures, the relics, and memory cards are brainless collections, Seems like Ubisoft is gameversions v.3 are worst the gaming world ever seen.
    So as summary, when you can get the game on some sale for 10 - 20 dollars its worth spending it, anything above is a waste of your / my money, cause the overall gameplay of FC3 is more compareable to some Commodore 64 / Atari games what we had like 20 years ago.
  31. May 25, 2013
    After hearing so ma ny good things about this game, I it knowing that it didn't support Steam achievements and required UBI's horrendous Uplay DRM software. Sadly, the game didn't come close to living up to the hype. The weapons feel anemic, in that basic animals and any armored human target requires almost a full clip to dispatch with anything other than a sniper rifle or a head-shot. Seriously, it shouldn't take five shots from an mp14 to drop a wild dog, and it certainly shouldn't take two entire clips to kill a bear. The AI is awful you basically have to run into someone while crouched before combat starts, but if you miss a shot with a silenced sniper rifle from 1km, enemies will magically converge on your location as if you were glowing like the sun. The graphics are quite nice and I have played through it without a single crash, but the gameplay isn't generally compelling. Expand
  32. Feb 1, 2013
    When joking about about Far Cry 3 with my friends, I like to call it Call of Cabala: Modern Hunter. The name fits it perfectly. Plenty of Call of Duty style shootouts with the occasional hunt, be it man or beast. If only the story had the depth of either of those series, I might have enjoyed it a little bit more. I can overlook poor AI (it's pretty bad), can care less about graphics (which were beautiful), and grind through chores to get practically necessary unlocks (there are plenty of those), but a poor story kills a game for me. Let's start with what I found positive: most of the games mechanics worked, the open world was somewhat interesting to explore, and the graphics were very nice.
    But I found much more to be negative. The stealth mechanics were awful. I would often hide in a bush with a silenced weapon and pick off targets from a distance. But if anyone saw the death or found a body, they ran straight towards the bush I was hiding in, often discovering me. And you'd think men with guns would be the most dangerous enemy, but in reality it's the unnaturally tough animals. I've shot tigers in the head and they seemed unfazed. I think Komodo dragons spawning behind me was my number 1 cause of death. Number 2 being the poor attempt at creating platforming. You'll fall off an edge few times thinking you haven't quite reached it yet, only to die. And the story didn't draw me in at all. It was shoddy and, up until the very end, predictable. Moments that were supposed to make you feel sad or uncomfortable just made me laugh. Overall, if you prefer mindless firefights over storytelling, then this is the game for you. But if you're looking for the whole package, look somewhere else.
  33. Feb 22, 2013
    Just an other oversimplification of a console game. There was a time when Far Cry was about innovation, challenge, freedom. Innovation is still present, freedom is awesome too, but challenge ruins it all. Playing against an AI with an IQ below 50 is pretty boring even on the most difficult settings. Pirates starting to shoot at you from the middle of a field using no cover. I personally stopped playing after I was in a fight with 10 npc's, while there was a group of pirates 20 meters away that were just chilling or I dunno what, just standing there enjoying the sun. It's pretty obvious that the game is a cheap console port. If it wasn't made for console, the game wouldn't be that limited, not talking about the bugs....
    If you are a young dumb teenager, you'll love it
  34. Feb 1, 2013
    I'd heard lots of good things about this game, and I've been a fan of the previous games (the original more than it's sequel). I'd heard that it didn't continue the plot or characters from either of the two previous games, which was a shame, but if the ongoing theme of the FarCry series was to have a standalone story with each episode, then I figured, why not? I'd read that the HUD was a bit too cluttered, but that there were various mods to minimise or even remove it, so I was encouraged by the fact that I would be able to customise certain aspects if I felt it was required. I'd also heard that the plot was weak, but that the game-play more than made up for it. So I was prepared for that too.

What I wasn't prepared for was how much of an utter disappoint the game really was. In my opinion the HUD and terrible plot are MORE than enough to ruin the game, and it baffles me that anyone could even get past these two obstacles to even enjoy the game-play. Thankfully, I had installed a couple of mods to improve game-play (more accurate weapons and improved selection) and remove the HUD completely (the official patch didn't go anywhere near far enough in this regard), so the game I am scoring here is not the game I've been playing for the last three weeks, it's the game I would have been forced to play without the mods.

Seriously, who needs that amount of information flashing and bobbing around on their screen to tell them the SAME thing at least three times? The HUD elements, even with all the customisable ones turned off, turn a potentially enjoyable challenge into a ridiculously easy arcade game, where neither thought, exploration or initiative are required. Objectives tell you to 'find' this or 'locate' that, and yet the whereabouts of every objective, no, every STAGE of every objective, is indicated in three different places, two of which are on your HUD (not including what you can actually see with your eyes!). The AI of the enemies is fantastic, amongst the best I've encountered, but the poor sods don't stand a chance because they're splashed all over your mini-map and appear clearly, even behind objects, with big red icons over their heads.

And then there's the plot and characters. Unfortunately, no one's come up with a mod to make the plot or characters any more interesting, and no amount of HUD removal or weapon modding is going to help me give a damn about any of the characters and what's happening to them. Even your own, annoyingly vocal, character, Jason, is a hateful adolescent (not in years, but in behaviour), and his friends are all stereotyped air-heads with no substance.

I get the feeling there is more to the story than it first appears, and there's some kind of 'Alice in Wonderland' sub-plot going on (I've avoided plot spoilers), and that maybe there will be some kind of Fight Club-style reveal where it turns out Jason is actually Vaas, and vice-versa. But you know what? I just don't care any more. I'm about 8 hours into the game and have deliberately avoided following the story, not only because it's weak and the characters are hateful, but also because it means I'm likely to have to sit through endless boring cut-scenes, or stupid, arcade-style mini-games, or encounter the nemesis of any immersion junkie like myself, the dreaded quick-time event (seriously who actually LIKES quick-time events? Who buys a game and says to themselves, 'oh wow, I hope this game has LOTS of quick-time events). Why can't developers just let us PLAY the game, instead of constantly forcing our actions, or taking away our control all together. Valve and other progressive developers have proved time and again that you can have both a great game and a great immersive experience without compromising your in-game freedom, so why is there still this obsession with trying to turn games into movies?

I probably shouldn't review the game before I've finished it, but I've just started re-playing BioShock to remind myself what a good, immersive first-person experience feels like (HUD elements and all!), and to prepare myself for the release of the next BioShock game, so the chances of me going back to FarCry 3 before BioShock Infinite comes out are slim.

It's a damn shame, because there are loads of things to love about FarCry 3; the hunting, the expanse of the island, the superb AI, the weapons, the beautiful graphics, the best motion-capture acting in a game (Vaas), but all of that can only last me so long, and I just don't want to be in the shoes of this character any more. I'd rather put Jason's friends out of their misery and explore the island.

With mods, such as the removal of the HUD and the improved weapon selection, I'd give the game a 6 out of 10. A better story would have probably meant an 8 or 9. But the vanilla game deserves nothing more than a 1, because developers need to realise that you just can't treat your audience like imbeciles.
  35. Jan 19, 2013
    Lol you can always tell a commercial bimbo game with no soul when all the *mainstream* mentioning no names, gamer magazines/websites are all creaming their cheese in feigned excitement and hype.
    I imagine none of the reviewers played more than 1-2 hours and got loads off freebies from the publishers for plugging their dross....skip it and buy an indie game you money will go to a better place.
  36. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty much mediocre in every aspect of the entire game. Hunting is useless. Money is useless, considering you get all your weapons from radio towers. Syringes are useless, apart from healing of course. There is no choosing between sides as in Far Cry 2, you are pretty much stuck with fighting the reds and yellows. Vaas is the only interesting character in the entire game, main character is a goddamn annoying assclown. Graphics are worse than in Far Cry 2, even though there is 5 years of difference between them. Missions are boring and unoriginal. Main story is predictable and bland. Difficulty in this game is set all wrong, you can just stealth pass everything and there isn't a slight difference in stealth when it comes to easy-hardest. Perks are stupid. Multiplayer lacks good maps, but other than that is pretty nice and has it's moments. But the worst part might be when you finally get to fight Vaas. I was expecting a huge boss fight and you know what the game presents me with? A goddamn quicktime event... After that you are left completely unsure whether that was the actual fight, and if he died or not. Quicktime events also pop up regularly elsewhere where they are NOT, NEEDED. Quicktime events are just poor design which ONLY works on consoles and should be illegal in any PC game. Controls are also an issue. The main inventory system is just flawed, it's annoying and badly ported. The new weapon selecting system is clearly designed for a controller, as it spins wildly out of control if you try to use it. There are some redeeming points of this abysmal console port, but they are few, and if you wish to play a good free-roaming shooter with more serious story and atmosphere... Play Far Cry 2. It's cheaper, better and not held back by consoles. Thank you for reading. Expand
  37. Dec 11, 2012
    textures **** polygon count **** story **** low budget game, no money pay for this bored **** Iam dont know what yet write because i play only 20 minutes in this **** and deleted this after this.
  38. Dec 11, 2012
    This is undoubtedly one of the best games released this year, and a game of the year contender. Every single aspect is near perfect. First let me tell you about the campaign. It is one of the bet narratives in a game I have ever played, and has some pretty serious subject matter and themes. If you're a COD kiddie then you need not apply. This game is not a hyper linear blockbuster shooter, it is an open world game, and you certainly aren't shipped around to every place on earth and left there for ten minutes. You are given ONE incredible place to explore, with tons of things to do. The open world is incredibly fun to explore, and there is loads of satisfaction in capturing an enemy base, or upgrading your character through hunting and crafting. Campaign: 10/10
    Then there is the multiplayer, which is not particularly innovative but still definitely taking a look at. There are a few modes and features that aren't in other games. PLUS, it has a map editor, which allows people to make their own maps and submit them to the world, which ensures almost unlimited content.
    Multiplayer: 8/10
    Then there is the co-op which is fun distraction, with it's own little storyline. It isn't long, only about six hours, but that six hours that you have is a very good piece of entertainment.
    Co-op: 9/10
    The verdict: Far Cry 3 is a huge game, and if you run out of things to do in it I have one message: GET A LIFE. This game has enough content to last almost forever. GET THIS GAME.
  39. Feb 20, 2013
    A real step DOWN from Far Cry 2. The great thing about Far Cry 2 was you could decide which path to follow. In Far Cry 3 it's a mission-based linear stealth game. It pretends to be non-linear and open, but missions are forced on you, with no way of avoiding them, and you are forced to repeat them over and over till you GET IT RIGHT!!! Not only do you have to get the objective, you have to get there in the manner determined by the designers, not your own style. Try departing from the script and ten thousand baddies will descend on you and blast you to pieces. In the end you find you're in a linear stealth adventure. Oh, and the AI is terrible.

Graphically it is no better than Far Cry 2.
  40. Apr 20, 2013
    The drm is annoying. IF i had bought this game in a store instead of steam, i would have returned it by now just because of the drm. The crafting element is too broken, if you have played any crafting game before, then you know how to get infinite health. The ai and stealth is broken. I was able to sneak up on someone for a knife take down in broad daylight with two other guys three meters from me.

Everything else is great. But the drm kills it for me. It eats bandwith, and if you have a java update, or itunes update pop up in the background, the game may crash. Not sure if its the game or the drm causing it.
  41. Jan 12, 2013
    This game feels and runs like a console port, oh, because it is one.

The multiplayer in this game is peer-to-peer, expect host swapping frequently and lots of latency. Also there's no server browser of evidence of any changes to improve multiplayer in the near future. There's probably not enough people playing the multiplayer for them to even want to support it.
  42. Nov 19, 2013
    Game is borked due to uplay bug and drm. Played intro, had to leave, now my key is invalid and i cant play it no response from ubi support. 30 minute game is bad and not fun 0 score
  43. Sep 12, 2013
    I can't really judge the content, i couldn't go far enough. The game is so bugged i raged quit. My PC is well above recommend hardware but i still experienced constant stuttering even on low settings. The stuttering is not the only anoyance you get stuck in stairs and doors; you have to jump through some of them
  44. Dec 24, 2012
    What's all the hype about? Boring, Stupid A.I and yes! another broken console port. The game has been broken since release with a micro stutter that nvidia and amd users are both experiencing. My guess is, ubisoft won't even bother to fix it, why break with tradition, right ubisoft?? I quit playing half way through the first island, I couldn't take it anymore. Ubisoft continues their tradition of releasing broken games with this disaster. Aside from the broken port, it's just not fun - Bad A.I, and just a piss poor implementation of an open world game. Pass on this game, until you can get it for 5 bucks at a garage sale. Expand
  45. Apr 22, 2013
    Far Cry 3 was really disappointment game even the story is good and it have Interesting characters but rest of the game is just meh and poorly made that made game way too easy even on master difficulty that i only played on half way then i stopped playign it. Every time i try play FC3 more, more i start hate it because of: Really bad enemy and team mate AI Useless crafting Useless rpg element that make game even more easier
    Useless hunting after you get all crafting itmes
    Build-in wall hack that they force you to use it
    Really bad mouse keyboard controlls especially aiming that is your worst enemy in whole game and force you to use controller
    Poor and useless fire element and it's also bugged that most of time you get hurt by invisible fire
    Way too many bugs from release day and they are still there
    Poorly optimized
    After dying you spawn random place and never to last save place

And list go on and on and on.......

So basically FC3 is just full of bugs and poorly made things that are clearly rushed.
  46. Jan 13, 2013
    I really don't know why everybody giving this game highest scores. This game for sure have potential to be 10. But too much in this game is made wrong or bugged. First, game is too easy and missions.. Well, stupid. Go there, kill 10 people. So, after going to site there is literally 3 minutes of work to get mission done. Further, story is that linear that if you have mission and you etc. see tv tower near you get killed to "fail mission" if you want to reveal map when around. So , potential is here. Few minor updates and this game would be pure 10!!! Expand
  47. Jan 23, 2013
    First I was happy cause the sp is quitte good.. then i started playing the mp.. WOOOOW seriously leave the mp out if you make it THIS BAD! Bunny hopping is back... ANNOYING.. MEGA BAD LAG.. SERVERS SUCKS.. CRASHES.. Wow this must be on of the worst multiplayers ive played in the last 5 years..
  48. Dec 16, 2012
    Ambitious but rubbish. The opening sequence of this game was so tight, captivating, well scripted and visually impressive that you think you're in for a perfect game and after that it turned to a milquetoast shooter that is easily forgettable. graphically this game is pretty impressive. the island the flora and fauna are equally impressive, but the game play is so repetitive and simplistic. for instance once you get a silenced sniper rifle the game becomes whack-a-mole. Find and elevated position (and there always is an elevated position) snipe from a distance and look at a bunch of disoriented ants run around because you shot the alarms to disable it. the skills are mostly useless. this game lacks depth, it tried to do everything but never developed itself.. the biggest issue that i have with this game is that it COULD have been so good. more weapons, more connections with the locals so you care about the island you're saving. better crafting, for weapons armor etc. also the vehicle controls are horrible. The AI is laughable, they go to the same places as their dead comrades and you just blast them again. i will say that the comments of the main character as you go along are refreshing, there are times when you do something awesome in a game and the character is silent, when you wish they understood the gravity of what just happened. overall not worth the price, and mostly just frustrating for what it could have been, and the moments of brilliance are not enough to carry this title. Expand
  49. Jul 15, 2013
    Constantly crashes, sends you back to "checkpoints"can't save while on a mission (which it automatically dumps you into every 2 mins).

**** this piece of
  50. May 8, 2013
    This game has always dissapointed me from the second edition Here to make it simple :

Firstly When i first played far cry2 all i can get is a boring experience Driving car like hell so weird looking at the super-boring environment I am not really into FPS games but at least i like to play call of duty why because i can get as many environment details so the game wont feel
    flat and also there is many conversations along the game that i wont bored .

note to game developer players love freedom and soul in their game and this game is totally soul-less .

secondly the graphic was badly optimized for PC i have lowered my pc graphics system but still it lags Even if i maximized the resolutions all i can get is so damn cartoonish grass and bushes

thirdly why i still want to give 3 for the score because the game Borneo or somewhere near there takes place near my home indonesia
  51. Jun 29, 2014
    I really can't believe how bad this game is due to other reviews of it. Very tired of Ubisoft formula. SCORE 41/100.

I thought it just had to be cool. I was let down in nearly every way imaginable. Still shocked how subpar, derivative, repetitive, and poorly designed it was. After beating and selling Watch Dogs (PS4), and then getting this on Summer Sale and really not liking it at all,
    I came to the conclusion I will no longer buy the trinity of Ubisoft open world action games.

If you have played any Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs, then you've played this. Towers to unlock, stupid collectibles, incredibly poor stealth, no actual cover.

TOWERS ARE SO FAR APART, horrible when you die. This is a perfect example of huge open world that is empty, lifeless, and annoying. So, so annoying.

Inventory is an atrocity, fills up in minutes, herbs don't stack. The driving is even worse than Watch Dogs, if that is possible. You get hurt from very small jumps, it's stupid.

In some ways I am glad I got it on summer sale because I won't ever get another Ubisoft game at full price. I *might* get them for 10 bucks or buy and resell of the PS4, but never ever full price.

And the graphics aren't that great, because Ubisoft is really bad at optimizing game engines. Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution look much better.

To top it all off, UPLAY IS A NIGHTMARE. It's a terrible service that makes EA's Origin look fantastic in comparison, and that is saying a lot.
  52. Jul 13, 2013
    I got the game on the steam summer sale. Was great for the first 3 hours that i played. Tried to save it several times and said i couldnt save it it said the "auto"save would take care of it.
    Died once-and it was stuck on the saving screen-i guess it had to communicate with U plays stupid effin servers!
    its my fault. I forgot that you needed uplay to run it and i hate uplay i hate
    origin i hate that i cant just go out and buy a god damned game and put it in and install it like the old days.
    anyway, i played six hours, swore i SAVED it several times and guess what?
    it saved right after the guy dennis rescued me so I lost-
    -all the i crafted ie;bags, wallets etc
    -my rife that i spent 1700 bucks for
    -my compound bow which was awesome
    i lost it all and now i dont know if i want to go through it all again, it saved none of my progress, lost all the radio towers i took, all the strongholds or whatever..
    **** drm ruins everything when the will they learn?
    never...they never will and I wish something would happen to these assanine companies but it never will..anyway, i gotta give it a 2..if i could save it and not have to go through the first part 3 times id do it ..but this uplay drm
  53. Apr 1, 2013
    Thinking about buying this one? Just play Far Cry 1 instead. Far Cry 1 was great. AI not so good, but the game was great. Far Cry 2 sucked. This one sucks less, but given it is 2013, this game sucks. And it really is too bad because the story has some interesting twists. The cut scenes and acting are pretty good. But the AI is a joke, the game play is repetitive and somewhat stupid. OK, I'm stranded on a tropical island filled with pirates and I need to rescue my friends, but I can only carry 1 magazine of bullets until I kill some animals and craft a new pouch out of their skins? Did anyone not stoned proof read the concept? Ugh, I had to quit after just 3 hours. I just don't care enough to finish this turd. Expand
  54. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is at best, average. The side missions are dumb. You have all these kinds of guns but you are limited to using a knife on missions. Each outpost you must liberate are basically the same. 4 enemies, kill them all then it's yours. It gets pretty repetitive. Not to mention that there is no point in exploration in this game. Once you are done in an area, there's no point in going back to it, because it will stay that way the entire game, it will not be re-conquered by bad guys or some other scenario, it's very static, not a dynamic world.
    It would have been more interesting if there's constant fighting between the rebels and the pirates, where you could jump in and be the difference maker, but there is no such thing in Farcry 3.
    It's a single play-through game that's not worth 60 bucks retail.
    I would not advise in getting the mods for this game as many of those things replace binaries, which could be a carrier for a trojan virus. Mods are done by strangers, not an official company.
  55. Dec 27, 2012
    Ubisoft has once again driven a game into the abyss. The use of emulation software for the PC controls has renedered the game unplayable. In fact there are many deal-breakers. AI so poorly written that if you just watch, they will kill themselves. They do nothing. The actual game is so short it's absurd. The multiplayer is just a waste and should not have been done at all considering the wretched state of the singleplayer. Fail! Simple as that Fail..............Fail........................Fail! The only part that was good were the old maps done by Crytek oh so long ago. And then with Ubisoft's help they flash and light in and out. Box game and should have stayed that way! Expand
  56. Dec 30, 2012
    Rife with infuriating idiosyncrasies including goofy fall damage mechanic, terrible awful **** worst ever stealth kill mechanic which works maybe 40% of the time, and then there's the AI..... This doesn't even touch on how nauseatingly bad the story and characters are. I had absolutely 0 sympathy or desire to help the protagonist or his **** friends. This game would be been way better if you played as Vaas and had got to hunt the spoiled rich kids. And what kind of open world game doesn't let you kill whomever you please?!? Kill 3 civilians in a short period of time and the game punishes you with death. I wish I hadn't paid for this game. And Ubisoft and shove "UPlay" right back up their asses. Expand
  57. Dec 21, 2012
    I like the way the game was set up, but I find it saddening that I can only play the game on a pc, and I believe that this game should also be for macs.
  58. Mar 31, 2013
    This game had many many great things going for it, and friends as well as many of you here in the reviews recommended it and praised it. But sadly, as much as I tried to enjoy it, it really felt sub-par. I have a decently well made computer and even on low I had enough lag to make game play annoying, not a game to get if your computer cannot handle Skyrim even. I liked the story up until I decided I was done with it, and I thought the ta-tau was an interesting addition. I wish Ubisoft would have optimized their game better, when I opened the game for the first time I got a wave of lag and terrible graphics, I think I spent around an hour google-ing ways to fix graphical issues and screen tears, and tuning the sensitivity and such to an acceptable level. Now after all of this I had bought this game to play with a friend first and do the solo campaign, well, solo. That was not going to happen, friends couldn't connect to me, even the slightest, all 3 of my friends were completely unable to connect to my match, even after a lot of forum reading and such no results were produced. Now all of this is pretty bad but on top of that I had to deal with U-play and Steam both running on the same game, for the love of all that is sacred what was that!? I took a lot of time to sign up before I could play after paying 60$. As if that wasn't bad enough I get in game and immediately get spammed by tutorials so much so that I just felt overwhelmed. I really think this game could have been better with a little more effort on the side of the publishing and optimization of Far cry 3, but alas it was too tarnished by my experience for me to be able to look past it's flaws. Expand
  59. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tasteless, repetitive, boring, unbalanced, horrible performance, no optimization whatsoever. That's what this game is.

It desperately tries to bring an entire open world where you feel like a survivor in an epic adventure, but in the end it doesn't. No immersion. I don't feel like I'm Jason. The story is not bad, but it's not good either. Nothing new. The main antagonist is the only character with a real personality. And that's not good. It makes me want to lose so he can win.

Let's focus on each point and why it fails:
    1. Story: nothing new. Boy goes on adventure, something goes wrong, friends in trouble, must become a hero and save them, join some guys who are against the villain's tirany. It's not bad, but it's not enough.

2. Performance: laggy, choppy, with no optimization, can't play in high graphic settings with more than 30 fps. And even playing in ultra, the graphics are not good enough for what it consumes. So far, a crappy port.

3. Gameplay mechanics: nothing new, and very badly done. Open world, full of enemies, you can hunt, you can do side missions, you can collect things, you can craft. Like any other open world game of this kind. Weapons suck, I can do more damage with an AK47 than with a Magnum revolver. I mean, a magnum has a 6-bullet round and should take 1 shot to kill, but in this game, it takes all 6, even with headshots, versus 1 headshot with the AK47 which can be accomplished fairly easy if you are used to FPS games. Bows? More like freaking machineguns at the speed they shoot. No need to charge your shot, no sir, the arrow will always go fast as a bullet out of the bow, and you don't even need to reload! Incendiary arrows? Way better! Just shoot them 20 times in 10 seconds and burn the whole island to the ground!

4. Interface: crappy. They should've used Steamworks instead of UPlay for multiplayer, because it is very buggy and difficult to join a lobby. It takes a long while to load because it has to send and receive a lot of data, and it does it slowly.

5. DRM: the worst part. Not only you have to log into Steam to play, but you also have to log into UPlay to launch the game. And the worst of the worst? Manual input of serial keys, without being able to paste it. You have to input it letter by letter and remember, no scores or capitals, or else it won't work! It took me 3 times to enter it correctly because of this! to unlock your game and DLC. Why on Earth?

6. Co-op: linear, repetitive, boring. It can be fun if you play with friends or just want to shoot around people, but just that.

Overall, this game was a disappointment. I don't even want to finish it.
  60. Jul 31, 2014
    I haven't played THAT much of this game yet, but so far I've found this game extremly underwhelming. Everything feels so generic.

For example the hunting/harvesting (?), leaf a/b/c/d/e and animal hide a/b/c/d/e/f/g... Now can somebody tell my why everything have to be made of several different types of hide? Like to craft a backpack you need... I dunno, goat, a few strips of leopard, a
    patch of tiger... why not make everything out of one (or two) types of hide?! Or are we making a fashion statement, show the barbarians in the jungle how "us citiboys" do it? It feels like such a cheap way to add "content" to the game.

A game like this is all about immersion, and I don't find it very immersive having to go into the menu for crafting etc. Absolutly nothing in the plot, conversations and in general how friendly people talk to you is believable. You are some **** cityboy who knows nothing about survival weapons or anything like that, yet you are the only one who can bla bla bla bla... yeah...
  61. Apr 27, 2013
    Pretty much the exact same thing as the previous Far Cry game, which everyone hated. Watch an unskippable cutscene, drive for 10 minutes to a waypoint, kill someone, drive back. Repeat ad nauseam. Why? At no point does the game give me any compelling reasons as to why I should care or even continue.
  62. Jul 31, 2013
    Maybe it is because I liked Far Cry 2 so much. No maps showing everything, you had to look and listen to survive. Far Cry 3 is the opposite maps show everything. Then they added stupid mini missions.
    The only way to get improvements is killing deer pigs, and dogs. Sick...
    After over 200 games first one I will not finish..
  63. Aug 24, 2013
    Are critics paid to write so positively about this game and gave it an average 9? If I am to quantify the game with a number, it wouldn't be anything higher than a 4.

The fact that they put a nervy, squeaky, cowardly spoiled middle-class little brat as the protagonist has already killed 50% of the mood of anyone who tried to play it. It was hard to identify yourself with the main
    character and immerse yourself into the game if the voice actor, perhaps as the game design intended, sounds like an immature 17 years old. The constant unpleasantness of the voice only becomes more unbearable as you continue to play with the slightest hope that this game has more to offer to overshadow its flaws.

But then the clunky inflexible control which forced sprint command to a toggle as opposed to hold-to-sprint (can you believe that?), and the faster-than-should-be walk speed killed any last hope you might still have for the game. The UI design was so bland and uninspired, you might think the game designers had copied it from games from 1996. At some point you realized, if you tab-out and tab-in again, the mouse function would no longer work and you'd have to restart the game for it to work again. At that precise moment you further realized this game doesn't have a proper, game-friendly save system, and you're forced to work in missions for mission checkpoints, the only thing that saves your game.

The overall game mechanic and graphic style are basically the same as that of far cry 2 or fallout new vegas. You thought you might be getting something big with FC3, seeing how games like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 had pushed graphic realism to a ridiculous level. But in FC3 all you get is disappointment through and through. To put things into perspective, Far Cry 3 is like casting Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs in an already uninspired, poorly scrambled screenplay.

It's hard to quantify with a number but for a game as broken, unpolished, and mediocre as FC3, this game deserves 4. And to counterbalance the fact that the game is badly overrated and will continue to victimize consumers who may be be ill-informed about the game, I voted 0.
  64. Sep 11, 2013
    The open world is a good thing, but the gameplay isn't working very well. Jumping, climbing and going over obstacles is quite frustrating because the character has problems with two inch high stairs and to low corridors. This becomes very annoying when you go to a mission where you have a time limit and have to run through buildings and when you cannot complete the mission (mostly because of the problems with the character getting stuck to stairs and such things) the game reloads back to the start of the mission with time limit and there is no way to abandon the mission. Expand
  65. Dec 1, 2013
    UPLAY ruined this game..... If not for this stupid draconian DRM scheme the game might be worth playing, but as it stands I count it as money wasted.
    Watch out for more garbage to come from Ubisoft. I heard they were changing back from this garbage..... I was wrong.... Guess I need to take them off my buy list entirely....
  66. Sep 20, 2013
    I started out hopeful that the game would be as good as Far Cry 2 and was very quickly disappointed. I thought I set all video to the highest possible settings and the movement was so fluid as to be unplayable. I kept overshooting the mark on the opening chase and everything looks like flat decals with weird black halos that I guess are cheap imitations of shadows. I later found an additional video settings menu that allowed me to set everything to ultra and then set the sensitivity settings to zero, that slowed movement enough to make the game playable. The user interface is has a very steep learning curve, why are they trying to re-invent the wheel? I have to log into steam to start the game which only starts uplay, then I have to wait for it to update, then log into uplay and finally i can start the game which takes kinda long to load screens. After 47 minutes of play time I am not enjoying myself. Ubisoft you lost me, at least I waited until it was on sale, but I still wish I had not spent the money. I will be extremely wary buying games from now on. Expand
  67. Jan 10, 2014
    0 for having to login to the damn stupid Uplay system, and then having found the key is associated with some other Uplay account that was auto-created by a Ubisoft Beta game I had access to, so now I can't play the game I bought and paid for.
  68. Dec 21, 2013
    Bought the game off steam after it had been out a while as I heard a few people weren't too happy with it. Only paid 20 bucks I think. After 30min of play I am pretty disappointed too due to the dumbing down effect the game forces you into. Even the loot and money are visible on your HUD. I doesn't really feel like you are in any danger at anytime when engaging in gangs as the AI is pretty stupid and even on hard settings just not challenging.

The game becomes very repetitive very quick due to just capturing radio masts and moving to the next one. Probably worth $15 to $20 in terms of eye candy and content. But I wont be buying any more Far Cry franchises regardless of price. Bought Far Cry 2 too and this series is done.
  69. Dec 31, 2013
    Seriously? Far Cry 3? More like Far Cry 2.5 with newer graphics and higher system requirements. I was really looking forward to this game after reading the reviews. Ah the memories of the original Far Cry where it was new and original. I thought, hey, maybe they changed it up a bit. NOPE. Same old, same old. Driving, or fast traveling, from place to place. Radio towers to get to and sabotage. Repetitive missions. Hang gliding, zip lining. BORING. Same clunky weapons buying and upgrade system. Now need to craft bigger wallets, weapons belts, etc... So they mixed in Skyrim RPG elements of crafting into a FPS style game? And not only that, did it in a poor design? Running around killing animals located who knows where to make a new belt? Who thought up that horrible idea? I'd rather you have to find, or kill someone, to get that new weapon, or upgrade rather then swim around with sharks to make what I need. This game stinks.

Pros: Great graphics. Got it for $29 on sale at Target. Thank god I didn't pay full price. If you haven't played 1 or 2, then you'll find it a good game. If you've played either, then there is nothing new to see here.

Cons: Everything. Nothing fresh, nothing new. A game can't get by on looks alone. I don't mind game sequels, and some are great. However, this is just a dressed up, new version of what got boring and old in Far Cry 2.

Conclusion: I wish I hadn't spent $29 on this dung heap. Maybe a Steam sale at $7 or something, and just playing it to see the graphics and experiment if you were going to like the game and I'd be Okay with it. However, it is simply a terrible rehash of what is now a series that either needs a complete reboot or simply to go away.
  70. Jan 10, 2014
    Та же проблема, что и у far cry 2. Быстро надоедает. Нет воздушного транспорта. Да и вообще военной техники. Только джипы и лодки с пулеметами. Как по мне, так бред. разве, что графика красивая. За это 3.
  71. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is full of **** I don;t know where to start. In short, the only thing great is the graphics.

The map is huge, but tedious to travel around, especially at early stages of the game, when every few seconds a car full of enemies will pass by wherever you're at. If you decide to fight them, its an endless fight because they somehow keep spawning like rabbits. The animals are even
    tougher, as they are immune to headshots, which is a **** joke.

The looting system is crap. The hitbox for detecting the bodies is incredibly small, I practically have to be kissing the body to loot it. And even if I am pointing my crosshair at the body, the indicator is to loot the gun instead. And whats with all the 'hold button x' to do this or do that? If they are so afraid of us misclicking stuff, I cant count the times I mis-looted a weapon instead of a body.

The stealth is **** They cant see me crouching in the open, but can detect me even though I'm hiding behind a huge tree that completely blocks line of sight. Enemies can see through walls to detect dead bodies, instantly detects me when I make a sound by melee-ing the animal cage (was testing if i could melee to break the cage). Said cage was inside a vacant building.

Another stupid feature is the drag corpse perk. Its already stupid enough that jason has to learn how to move a corpse, the whole mechanic is just clumsy and ****ty. If you have played any decent stealth game like Dishonored or AC, you will know what I mean. In these games, you can just pick up the body, move and drop it anywhere. Here? You can only drag it like a **** while moving backwards, and the best part is, you cant even pick it up again if u drop it.

The story is laughable too. 19 year old party boy becomes a master of guerrilla warfare in less then 30 minutes. Side quests are boring and restrictive too. Stuff like restricting weapon required to kill with and the failing quests if moving out of area is just stupid and nowhere near Skyrim-like. To mention this **** game in the same breath as Skyrim is just insulting to the TES game.
  72. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is very unsafe for my son Tony. He drives in a car on a DIRT road with out a seat belt, Like seriously what were you thinking! Also the grass in this game along with other vegetation in this game are really off centered. I feel as though the grass shouldn't simply slide back and forth but perhaps go with the flow of the wind. Also my son can freely kill people? Why would you put this in the game? He needs to turn himself in this isn't right. Why do these people hate my son anyway he hasn't done any wrong and if he has i apologize on his behalf and i promise he will most definitely not ever do this again.

This is a message from the unhappy moms of America
    Good day
  73. Mar 19, 2014
    It does nothing you haven't seen in 1000 other Games already! And I'm so sick of always the same crap only with a ne environment and new people! It's not an 0 but the score is definitely to high!! It has amazing grafics, but the boring gameplay ruins that all! All you do in quests is shoot yourself through dozens of ever the same (lame!) enemys, defend a position when a partner is working and take the nearest car and drive somewhere!! Expand
  74. Mar 13, 2014
    This is possibly one of the worst written and acted games I have EVER played. The voice acting is so cringe worthy and atrocious that you will end up rooting for the bad guys to kill your character. The combat is much too easy with every human enemy dying in one or two rounds (or arrows) and animals being slightly harder. The graphics are the only thing worth giving a plus for, as the game drags on way too long with the dumbest story you will ever experience. A spoiled rich kid with a prepubescent voice killing off pirates that the local militia apparently aren't capable of. The weapons can all be obtained within a couple of hours as money is everywhere, and the Assassins Creed like radio towers provide them for free. On top of that, the game crashes every two hours without giving you a hint as to why. It makes me wonder if the professional critics played the same game as I did.

I give it two points for the graphics, but that is honestly the only redeemable thing about it. The experience was just loathsome, especially the voice acting will make you want to stop playing as soon as anyone talks.
  75. Mar 31, 2014
    just played first few missions or something, stopped at the mission repairing some boat or something. cant save my game though, maybe some bull-leavings glitch. didnt even bother to fix it cause the game is crap. graphics is scum of the earth for a game with lots of reputation. even the boring farcry 2 have stunning graphics though. this one is like you put farcry 1 in the toilet and you flush it and what comes out of the drain is farcry 3. TADAAAA!!! the island setting in farcry 3 is.... well, i dint like it. farcry 1 island setting is better though (cause it didnt get flushed out of the toilet, if you know what i mean). dont get me wrong, i like **** urmmmm, i mean beaches. but only in REAL LIFE not in games. only **** are fun in games and real life (maybe the developers are mistaken on this fact). thats all, i rate this bae on my enterained level. no offence to this game but this s the only fun i get from it. Expand
  76. Apr 14, 2014
    For the most part, I enjoyed the running around and clearing camps aspect of the game. I was hoping for a little more in the crafting department, but I was ultimately satisfied with what the game provided. What drove me insane about this game were the boss puzzles. Very rarely were they actually combat. Instead, you had to memorize the key combinations or beat the clock. These gimmicks get old very quickly.

The story and atmosphere of the game went a long way to diminish what could have been a very strong game. To put it bluntly, the game was one big cliche'. Every so called "twist" was so predictable as to be painful. I also find the concept of "experienced combat veteran" (Grant) getting killed in the first few minutes and "incompetent noncombatant becoming god of war" (Jason) one of the most annoying tropes ever. As mentioned in other reviews, Grant was the logical choice for being the hero.

I don't like "busy work" in my games. Having to collect x number of y objects is a surefire recipe to boredom. Some of the backdrops (namely ruins and submerged caves) made the process a lot easier, but truthfully I never intended to finish those mini-games. This is a common weakness among Ubisoft games.

Finally, I personally am not a subscriber to either tattoos or recreational drug use, both of which play a central role to the game; both in story and in gameplay. The whole glorification of substance abuse made the game so much less that what it could be.

Now on to some good stuff. The Dunia engine is amazing. I love the seamless transition between wandering the jungle, swimming in the ocean, finding an underwater cave and then swimming into an ancient ruin.

I had fun with the gunplay. I thought sniping a bit weak, especially with the .50 cal. A really powerful scope and you can easily hit something from 1k away. I realize why the sniping was clipped, but it was still a disappointment. I was glad to see that spreading fire carried over from Far Cry 2.

I was very grateful for the absence of many of Far Cry 2's mechanics. Weapons don't degrade that fast. Even the cheapest of weapons would last longer. Malaria was stupid. The perpetually respawning enemy outposts was also thankfully absent. I suppose it says something about a game when some of its positive aspects are omissions from its prequel.

The single most disappointing thing is that I saw the potential for the 10 scores that people keep throwing out there. It could have been "THE" game of the year. Whether it was lackluster development or different design philosophy, that potential was wasted.

Still wasn't as bad as Mass Effect 3.
  77. Dec 4, 2012

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013