Far Cry 3 PC

8.3

1. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the few single player game I've finished. Far Cry 3 offers a lot of freedom, but none i would spend too much time on. I found myself speeding through the main story-line, ignoring all the other content. The hunts, and quests were just icing on the cake, which didn't appeal to me, but did present itself in more variety to other players. There were many exciting moments that kept meOne of the few single player game I've finished. Far Cry 3 offers a lot of freedom, but none i would spend too much time on. I found myself speeding through the main story-line, ignoring all the other content. The hunts, and quests were just icing on the cake, which didn't appeal to me, but did present itself in more variety to other players. There were many exciting moments that kept me drawn into the game, but in the end, it was nothing to remarkable. Nonetheless, Far Cry 3 is still a good game in the most parts. Expand
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    Two main reason I dropped this game:
    1. Cheap and exhausting interface, either the developer team is dumb or barely put any effort into it.
    Two main reason I dropped this game:
    2. Buggy, specially terrain reference... You're going to constantly stumbled unto some pebbles or terrain layer joints and have to jump over or press dash button again. Needless to say, it's annoying as hell when you have to deal such a thing in the heat of a battle. Other things like game broken bug - I encountered 2 place that get you stuck during one Monkey mission in the temple area. And finally a total blackout for no reason during a strong hold capture. Have those Ubi staff ever test play their f*cking **** Have they put the money supposed to go to the quality administration to make more promoting videos?
  3. Feb 23, 2014
    Very satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, andVery satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, and something more serious like Skyrim where the story is pretty deep and enjoyable. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off the story completely ruined this for me! The main character Jason brody was one of the worst choices they could have made for a one man wrecking machine(rambo on steroids).
    His brother would have been a much better choice for the main character looking to avenge his brothers death as well as save his remaining friends.
    But even then it would not be very believable/great story but i could at least stomach it.
    Game play is great for me,guns all feel great and sound great.
    graphics are not crysis 3 but very good nonetheless and i wanted to add that it should be mandatory that all games include a music volume not just a on/off mode!
    I liked the backing audio BUT it was too loud at parts making it very distracting and annoying,
    My best advice is for everyone reading this to not take my word for it or anyone elses that reviews a game or whatever but just try it yourself.
    I have found from reading reviews it is a waste of time, many time i have loved a game even though the majority said it sucked and of course the opposite has happened as well, i hated the game but it was a best seller and high rated game :/
    It all comes down to your own personal feelings and thoughts about any game because what i like you may not and what i hate you may love?
    That's what makes up each individuals,we can't all like the same exact things thats just the way it is.
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    OK, Ubisoft, please answer me this : WHY ARE THE CUTSCENES NOT SKIPPABLE ?!?! Why do I have to sit and wait for X minutes and cannot just skip the boring lame animatios ?! The story really really sux, otherwise I would give it much higher score, but I could not even finish the game because I became allergic to the stupid boring cutscenes !!!!
  6. Nov 23, 2014
    The game doesn't run very well on a high-end AMD videocard (7900 series) - even at lowest settings it can become a slideshow at times (particularly while flying a kite and doing circles before you land) ... Apparently this game was tailored for Nvidia users and AMD users can pretty much go @#$! themselves. Classy, Ubisoft. I see this gem for what it is, though: if you ignore the minorThe game doesn't run very well on a high-end AMD videocard (7900 series) - even at lowest settings it can become a slideshow at times (particularly while flying a kite and doing circles before you land) ... Apparently this game was tailored for Nvidia users and AMD users can pretty much go @#$! themselves. Classy, Ubisoft. I see this gem for what it is, though: if you ignore the minor inconveniences with crafting and having to bounce back and forth for components, this is a beautiful game. It would get an 8.5 if it didn't lag with a beefy videocard. Expand
  7. May 31, 2014
    The game is a lot of fun from times to times. The island world is really beautiful and the cut scenes and npc acting is so great that it some times feels like beeing in a movie. The down side is that the island istoo crowded with enemy NPC:s (which consists of animals and guerilla warriors). You can't go any 100 meters in any direction without bumping in to a fight with something whichThe game is a lot of fun from times to times. The island world is really beautiful and the cut scenes and npc acting is so great that it some times feels like beeing in a movie. The down side is that the island istoo crowded with enemy NPC:s (which consists of animals and guerilla warriors). You can't go any 100 meters in any direction without bumping in to a fight with something which destroys the flow that the game could have had.
    The multiplyer of the game is good but generic.
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    This is a really good game excellent graphics still in 2014 but... the old problem, the outposts system.. it taked nearly 45 hours to finish this game i loved the story, gameplay is one step further than FC2.

I really disliked the outposts system, i need a new recipe from Ubisoft. They are great of making videogames now they need to move a step further and create new innovative ways to explore their huge open worlds.
  9. Mar 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is painfully average. It starts off strong and sucks you into the theme easilly, but gets really dull after a short while of playing. The dialogues repeat, the activities are repetitive, AI keeps doing the dumbest things etc etc. What bothers me above anything is that the main missions force you down a specific path and doesn't tell you what it is going to be, so you're usually coming ill prepared.
    SPOILERS: At the end of the game as you're saving Riley from the airport you hop on a helicopter to fly out of the airport and escape the hordes of Hoyt's mercenaries. Riley has a pilot's licence for a plane, but he's got no experience with helis. Nonetheless he gets you off the ground and manages to manouver the helicopter. Thing is, he **** circles the airport and never gets higher than 30 meters off the ground. Know why? Cause the developers want you to enjoy the action of shooting at everything that moves (with explosions ofc). Half the time there's things blowing up on their own and the AI conveniently keeps taking cover behind gasoline barrels. Meanwhile they're calling you "The Traitor" over and over again. I'm **** SNOW WHITE! I was never part of your gang of mercenaries!!

This episode is just one example of the many bugs, braindead activities, oversights etc that put me off this game. Only chose this because I finally had enough while doing this particular mission. The whole game is a grind, and it's not even an MMO where grinding can give you a sense of purpose. Far Cry 3 is a kiddy game, it's not for anybody who expects more than action.

AND WHY DON'T THE LOCALS EVER HELP ME!?!? I am liberating your whole island by myself and I'm getting 0 help from you - literally 0. If you're already forcing me to ditch the stealthy approach and go in guns blazing, you might aswell have these guys help me out. No-one in the history of mankind has singlehandedly killed so many people as this adrenaline junkie who was mortified by the sight of a bad guy dying at the beginning of the game.

I'd go on and on, but I've come to expect this from Ubisoft's games. The games they publish are usually just eye candy and lack in most other aspects.

Kudos to the driving mechanics though. Driving around was a blast at first, but eventually I ceased to care about exploring so I just quit and did it only when it was required.
  10. Jul 24, 2016
    I waited quite a while to play this game. My grand kids, who hated Far Cry 2, loved this game. Ironically, I thought (still do) Far Cry 2 was/is the best FPS I've ever played. It was flawed in many respects, but it ALWAYS kept me IN the world. You can get shot while looking at your map. You can look at your map and drive at the same time. Nothing was safe. I even complained aboutI waited quite a while to play this game. My grand kids, who hated Far Cry 2, loved this game. Ironically, I thought (still do) Far Cry 2 was/is the best FPS I've ever played. It was flawed in many respects, but it ALWAYS kept me IN the world. You can get shot while looking at your map. You can look at your map and drive at the same time. Nothing was safe. I even complained about having GPS and found a way to turn that off. The game did not fair well. I wonder why (as I roll my eyes).

Well, I have played FC3 and am on the south island and nearing the end of the game. I won't finish it. The game makes me fell like a grade school kid.

It's ironic that a gamer will complain about FC2 because, "the enemy can see me from a mile away!" and then love FC3 where the enemy turns into little dots running around on your mini map. And people wonder what has happened to gaming.

I don't blame Ubisoft, it's the gamers that are the problem.

This is a little kids game.
  11. May 18, 2016
    This game is average , because graphics in this game is bad , but storyline is good . This game is Action , but at the moments Stealth . This game is not one of the best game of 2012 . Far Cry 3 better than Far Cry 4 and Far Cry 3 interesting pass . 6/10 .
  12. Feb 1, 2013
    I'd heard lots of good things about this game, and I've been a fan of the previous games (the original more than it's sequel). I'd heard that it didn't continue the plot or characters from either of the two previous games, which was a shame, but if the ongoing theme of the FarCry series was to have a standalone story with each episode, then I figured, why not? I'd read that the HUD was aI'd heard lots of good things about this game, and I've been a fan of the previous games (the original more than it's sequel). I'd heard that it didn't continue the plot or characters from either of the two previous games, which was a shame, but if the ongoing theme of the FarCry series was to have a standalone story with each episode, then I figured, why not? I'd read that the HUD was a bit too cluttered, but that there were various mods to minimise or even remove it, so I was encouraged by the fact that I would be able to customise certain aspects if I felt it was required. I'd also heard that the plot was weak, but that the game-play more than made up for it. So I was prepared for that too.

What I wasn't prepared for was how much of an utter disappoint the game really was. In my opinion the HUD and terrible plot are MORE than enough to ruin the game, and it baffles me that anyone could even get past these two obstacles to even enjoy the game-play. Thankfully, I had installed a couple of mods to improve game-play (more accurate weapons and improved selection) and remove the HUD completely (the official patch didn't go anywhere near far enough in this regard), so the game I am scoring here is not the game I've been playing for the last three weeks, it's the game I would have been forced to play without the mods.

Seriously, who needs that amount of information flashing and bobbing around on their screen to tell them the SAME thing at least three times? The HUD elements, even with all the customisable ones turned off, turn a potentially enjoyable challenge into a ridiculously easy arcade game, where neither thought, exploration or initiative are required. Objectives tell you to 'find' this or 'locate' that, and yet the whereabouts of every objective, no, every STAGE of every objective, is indicated in three different places, two of which are on your HUD (not including what you can actually see with your eyes!). The AI of the enemies is fantastic, amongst the best I've encountered, but the poor sods don't stand a chance because they're splashed all over your mini-map and appear clearly, even behind objects, with big red icons over their heads.

And then there's the plot and characters. Unfortunately, no one's come up with a mod to make the plot or characters any more interesting, and no amount of HUD removal or weapon modding is going to help me give a damn about any of the characters and what's happening to them. Even your own, annoyingly vocal, character, Jason, is a hateful adolescent (not in years, but in behaviour), and his friends are all stereotyped air-heads with no substance.

I get the feeling there is more to the story than it first appears, and there's some kind of 'Alice in Wonderland' sub-plot going on (I've avoided plot spoilers), and that maybe there will be some kind of Fight Club-style reveal where it turns out Jason is actually Vaas, and vice-versa. But you know what? I just don't care any more. I'm about 8 hours into the game and have deliberately avoided following the story, not only because it's weak and the characters are hateful, but also because it means I'm likely to have to sit through endless boring cut-scenes, or stupid, arcade-style mini-games, or encounter the nemesis of any immersion junkie like myself, the dreaded quick-time event (seriously who actually LIKES quick-time events? Who buys a game and says to themselves, 'oh wow, I hope this game has LOTS of quick-time events). Why can't developers just let us PLAY the game, instead of constantly forcing our actions, or taking away our control all together. Valve and other progressive developers have proved time and again that you can have both a great game and a great immersive experience without compromising your in-game freedom, so why is there still this obsession with trying to turn games into movies?

I probably shouldn't review the game before I've finished it, but I've just started re-playing BioShock to remind myself what a good, immersive first-person experience feels like (HUD elements and all!), and to prepare myself for the release of the next BioShock game, so the chances of me going back to FarCry 3 before BioShock Infinite comes out are slim.

It's a damn shame, because there are loads of things to love about FarCry 3; the hunting, the expanse of the island, the superb AI, the weapons, the beautiful graphics, the best motion-capture acting in a game (Vaas), but all of that can only last me so long, and I just don't want to be in the shoes of this character any more. I'd rather put Jason's friends out of their misery and explore the island.

With mods, such as the removal of the HUD and the improved weapon selection, I'd give the game a 6 out of 10. A better story would have probably meant an 8 or 9. But the vanilla game deserves nothing more than a 1, because developers need to realise that you just can't treat your audience like imbeciles.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Hyper Magazine