8.2

1. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty much mediocre in every aspect of the entire game. Hunting is useless. Money is useless, considering you get all your weapons from radio towers. Syringes are useless, apart from healing of course. There is no choosing between sides as in Far Cry 2, you are pretty much stuck with fighting the reds and yellows. Vaas is the only interesting character in the entire game, main character is a goddamn annoying assclown. Graphics are worse than in Far Cry 2, even though there is 5 years of difference between them. Missions are boring and unoriginal. Main story is predictable and bland. Difficulty in this game is set all wrong, you can just stealth pass everything and there isn't a slight difference in stealth when it comes to easy-hardest. Perks are stupid. Multiplayer lacks good maps, but other than that is pretty nice and has it's moments. But the worst part might be when you finally get to fight Vaas. I was expecting a huge boss fight and you know what the game presents me with? A goddamn quicktime event... After that you are left completely unsure whether that was the actual fight, and if he died or not. Quicktime events also pop up regularly elsewhere where they are NOT, NEEDED. Quicktime events are just poor design which ONLY works on consoles and should be illegal in any PC game. Controls are also an issue. The main inventory system is just flawed, it's annoying and badly ported. The new weapon selecting system is clearly designed for a controller, as it spins wildly out of control if you try to use it. There are some redeeming points of this abysmal console port, but they are few, and if you wish to play a good free-roaming shooter with more serious story and atmosphere... Play Far Cry 2. It's cheaper, better and not held back by consoles. Thank you for reading. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    All I gotta say is UBI lost a really great customer, i had high hopes and expectations but it let me down.. The SP is pretty neat but can use some work like the whole upgrading using animal skins and organs, not that i'm scarred of it but because it seems rather lame (same goes to not being able to skip cut scenes-LAME), there's also when you go to do a mission once you enter the missionAll I gotta say is UBI lost a really great customer, i had high hopes and expectations but it let me down.. The SP is pretty neat but can use some work like the whole upgrading using animal skins and organs, not that i'm scarred of it but because it seems rather lame (same goes to not being able to skip cut scenes-LAME), there's also when you go to do a mission once you enter the mission zone you cannot leave the area until its been completed or mission failed. One more thing, you can't save and expect it to save the spot that your at/in you have to finish a mission then it will successfully save your progress. As for MP I would like to start of with server names, whats a server without its own name? its more of a room, second you cannot host a dedicated server nor can you have admin privilege's of your own server, UBI servers take care of all the voting and banning not the players, also no lobbies. What's an action game without any aumo piles around on the custom maps? how am i suppose to refill my gun with aumo? die and revive? The servers and game themselves do all the work for you like choosing a server, you can't join a server and expect its gonna be the right server (the one with all your friends in it) also my connection cannot even support this game, this means i have a fully paid for game but the connection will not work simply due to the fact my latency is far too high. I ran away from COD games a long time ago and this game feels alot like COD (in MP mode) and with that it makes me an unhappy camper. There is no more LAN like FC2 had but you can always play COOP via ubisoft servers but you can't play it on just your network/LAN.. I'm upset with it, thought it was gonna be awesome, thought it was gonna be much more interesting than the old FC2 but its not one bit. Expand
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    FC3 is along with AC3 the biggest dissappointment in 2012 / 2013, what bothered me the most is that there is no enemy artificical intelligence at all it seems, all the missions must be played exactly as the level designer made it there is nothing individual, if you dont do things exactly as ubi wants you to do it, the mission failes, i recall that even FC2 or FC1 had a better Enemy AI, andFC3 is along with AC3 the biggest dissappointment in 2012 / 2013, what bothered me the most is that there is no enemy artificical intelligence at all it seems, all the missions must be played exactly as the level designer made it there is nothing individual, if you dont do things exactly as ubi wants you to do it, the mission failes, i recall that even FC2 or FC1 had a better Enemy AI, and Level Design, so FC3 looks like a downgrade to me. Sure the GFX are nice, but its no destructable environment like Crysis / BF3 has, so half of the nice GFX arent worth it to begin with. Also the looting, the treasures, the relics, and memory cards are brainless collections, Seems like Ubisoft is gameversions v.3 are worst the gaming world ever seen.
    So as summary, when you can get the game on some sale for 10 - 20 dollars its worth spending it, anything above is a waste of your / my money, cause the overall gameplay of FC3 is more compareable to some Commodore 64 / Atari games what we had like 20 years ago.
  4. Jun 29, 2014
    I really can't believe how bad this game is due to other reviews of it. Very tired of Ubisoft formula. SCORE 41/100.

I thought it just had to be cool. I was let down in nearly every way imaginable. Still shocked how subpar, derivative, repetitive, and poorly designed it was. After beating and selling Watch Dogs (PS4), and then getting this on Summer Sale and really not liking it at all, I came to the conclusion I will no longer buy the trinity of Ubisoft open world action games.

If you have played any Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs, then you've played this. Towers to unlock, stupid collectibles, incredibly poor stealth, no actual cover.

TOWERS ARE SO FAR APART, horrible when you die. This is a perfect example of huge open world that is empty, lifeless, and annoying. So, so annoying.

Inventory is an atrocity, fills up in minutes, herbs don't stack. The driving is even worse than Watch Dogs, if that is possible. You get hurt from very small jumps, it's stupid.

In some ways I am glad I got it on summer sale because I won't ever get another Ubisoft game at full price. I *might* get them for 10 bucks or buy and resell of the PS4, but never ever full price.

And the graphics aren't that great, because Ubisoft is really bad at optimizing game engines. Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution look much better.

To top it all off, UPLAY IS A NIGHTMARE. It's a terrible service that makes EA's Origin look fantastic in comparison, and that is saying a lot.
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    Thinking about buying this one? Just play Far Cry 1 instead. Far Cry 1 was great. AI not so good, but the game was great. Far Cry 2 sucked. This one sucks less, but given it is 2013, this game sucks. And it really is too bad because the story has some interesting twists. The cut scenes and acting are pretty good. But the AI is a joke, the game play is repetitive and somewhat stupid. OK,Thinking about buying this one? Just play Far Cry 1 instead. Far Cry 1 was great. AI not so good, but the game was great. Far Cry 2 sucked. This one sucks less, but given it is 2013, this game sucks. And it really is too bad because the story has some interesting twists. The cut scenes and acting are pretty good. But the AI is a joke, the game play is repetitive and somewhat stupid. OK, I'm stranded on a tropical island filled with pirates and I need to rescue my friends, but I can only carry 1 magazine of bullets until I kill some animals and craft a new pouch out of their skins? Did anyone not stoned proof read the concept? Ugh, I had to quit after just 3 hours. I just don't care enough to finish this turd. Expand
  6. Dec 12, 2012
    10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry more... bigger wallet, bigger rucksack for items, bigger ammo case etc., you hunt animals and skin them. That was fun, but It took about an hour and I had pretty much upgraded everything. I started gathering items and cash, but here's something I found odd. As in Far Cry 2, you had to quest to make more items available. No problem. In Far Cry 3, you unlock radio towers. But here's the catch, the items aren't only unlocked, they become free. So I'm walking around with a stuffed $6,000 wallet and I've already got everything and not a single reason to loot dead bodies or pick up cash. Modifying weapons cost a little, yeah, but upgrading your favorites only takes a second and your done. Now I'm thinking, what do I do now? In other words, in two hours, there may be plenty to explore, but no reason to do it!

Skills are boring too. The standard ones that increase health are obviously important but the rest are more like "skills of convenience" if you know what I mean. There aren't any you feel like you really want. I've got fifteen skill points and I don't even care. There's nothing there beyond increasing health and a couple of other ones that make a difference. The rest? zzz zzz.

So what's the verdict? Is it worth playing? I'm not finished with it and I will finish it... eventually. Games that get the ratings this one got are supposed to lock you in front of your computer and not set you free until you've savored every morsel. This one? It's like going to a buffet where all the items taste pretty much the same. You'll play it maybe because your hungry but you won't really care what you want next.

As a side note, it may be worth waiting for because there are a few bugs on the pc version. It stutters like a dog unless you can get fps over 60 on the low end. I've got an Intel 3820 oc'd to 4.2 ghz and an Nvidia gtx 680 and need to run on medium settings. I had to get the top fps to about 115 for the normal buttery smoothness I'm accustomed to. And that's borderline. If I even turn on anti-aliasing to any degree, I have to reduce the graphics to low, so I settled for medium and no AA. You can google "Far Cry 3 stuttering" for more info.

The game has value. Think of it like Santa putting a Bugatti Veyron in your drive way but then discover the only place you can drive it... is around the block. It's fancy, but the track is the same.
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    I'm a big fan of games and I play a lot of them. I ONLY play multiplayer games but on this game I played only the story mode. This game was fantastic and amazing. Extremely good graphics. Everything was so realistic that I could jump into the screen and play as the main character. WAY BETTER graphics from Battlefield 3. It is one of the best games on pc of all years. I finished the storyI'm a big fan of games and I play a lot of them. I ONLY play multiplayer games but on this game I played only the story mode. This game was fantastic and amazing. Extremely good graphics. Everything was so realistic that I could jump into the screen and play as the main character. WAY BETTER graphics from Battlefield 3. It is one of the best games on pc of all years. I finished the story on two days 'cuz I was playing 8-10 hours per day.
    The only thing you'll need to enjoy this game on the fullest is a really good pc!!
    If you have the pc and the money I suggest you to run to the shop and buy it immediately and start playing.
    Thank me later!! :)
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    The best game I played in 2012. Great, fun, open world, crafting, good history, good graphics, good vehicles, good customization, a lot of side quest, hunting. Really recommended.
  9. May 14, 2013
    The best game of 2012, yeah just like that, the question is why the hell it wasn't even a contender ta VGA's, probably because vga is full of crap! PS Just what the did to Deus Ex Human Revolution
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    An unbelievable graphic, the best I ever seen in a Video game with a beautiful game experience. It's story is really really long, to finish the campaign you have to spend a very long time
  11. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Far cry 3 is a great and dramatic first person open world game. There are level system, buy your own wepons and upgrade them. A lot of fun sidemissions and good graphics. Far Cry 3's story is probably the best story I've ever heard. It is exciting and you get a feeling that you just have to play on and find out what happens next. you have not played this game yet, you just buy it! It is worth every penny!
    Thanks for this game Ubisoft.
    I look forward if Far Cry 4 comes.
  12. Dec 16, 2012
    Ambitious but rubbish. The opening sequence of this game was so tight, captivating, well scripted and visually impressive that you think you're in for a perfect game and after that it turned to a milquetoast shooter that is easily forgettable. graphically this game is pretty impressive. the island the flora and fauna are equally impressive, but the game play is so repetitive andAmbitious but rubbish. The opening sequence of this game was so tight, captivating, well scripted and visually impressive that you think you're in for a perfect game and after that it turned to a milquetoast shooter that is easily forgettable. graphically this game is pretty impressive. the island the flora and fauna are equally impressive, but the game play is so repetitive and simplistic. for instance once you get a silenced sniper rifle the game becomes whack-a-mole. Find and elevated position (and there always is an elevated position) snipe from a distance and look at a bunch of disoriented ants run around because you shot the alarms to disable it. the skills are mostly useless. this game lacks depth, it tried to do everything but never developed itself.. the biggest issue that i have with this game is that it COULD have been so good. more weapons, more connections with the locals so you care about the island you're saving. better crafting, for weapons armor etc. also the vehicle controls are horrible. The AI is laughable, they go to the same places as their dead comrades and you just blast them again. i will say that the comments of the main character as you go along are refreshing, there are times when you do something awesome in a game and the character is silent, when you wish they understood the gravity of what just happened. overall not worth the price, and mostly just frustrating for what it could have been, and the moments of brilliance are not enough to carry this title. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2012
    This is undoubtedly one of the best games released this year, and a game of the year contender. Every single aspect is near perfect. First let me tell you about the campaign. It is one of the bet narratives in a game I have ever played, and has some pretty serious subject matter and themes. If you're a COD kiddie then you need not apply. This game is not a hyper linear blockbuster shooter,This is undoubtedly one of the best games released this year, and a game of the year contender. Every single aspect is near perfect. First let me tell you about the campaign. It is one of the bet narratives in a game I have ever played, and has some pretty serious subject matter and themes. If you're a COD kiddie then you need not apply. This game is not a hyper linear blockbuster shooter, it is an open world game, and you certainly aren't shipped around to every place on earth and left there for ten minutes. You are given ONE incredible place to explore, with tons of things to do. The open world is incredibly fun to explore, and there is loads of satisfaction in capturing an enemy base, or upgrading your character through hunting and crafting. Campaign: 10/10
    Then there is the multiplayer, which is not particularly innovative but still definitely taking a look at. There are a few modes and features that aren't in other games. PLUS, it has a map editor, which allows people to make their own maps and submit them to the world, which ensures almost unlimited content.
    Multiplayer: 8/10
    Then there is the co-op which is fun distraction, with it's own little storyline. It isn't long, only about six hours, but that six hours that you have is a very good piece of entertainment.
    Co-op: 9/10
    The verdict: Far Cry 3 is a huge game, and if you run out of things to do in it I have one message: GET A LIFE. This game has enough content to last almost forever. GET THIS GAME.
  14. Jan 13, 2013
    I really don't know why everybody giving this game highest scores. This game for sure have potential to be 10. But too much in this game is made wrong or bugged. First, game is too easy and missions.. Well, stupid. Go there, kill 10 people. So, after going to site there is literally 3 minutes of work to get mission done. Further, story is that linear that if you have mission and you etc.I really don't know why everybody giving this game highest scores. This game for sure have potential to be 10. But too much in this game is made wrong or bugged. First, game is too easy and missions.. Well, stupid. Go there, kill 10 people. So, after going to site there is literally 3 minutes of work to get mission done. Further, story is that linear that if you have mission and you etc. see tv tower near you get killed to "fail mission" if you want to reveal map when around. So , potential is here. Few minor updates and this game would be pure 10!!! Expand
  15. Jan 23, 2013
    First I was happy cause the sp is quitte good.. then i started playing the mp.. WOOOOW seriously leave the mp out if you make it THIS BAD! Bunny hopping is back... ANNOYING.. MEGA BAD LAG.. SERVERS SUCKS.. CRASHES.. Wow this must be on of the worst multiplayers ive played in the last 5 years..
  16. Dec 11, 2012
    textures **** polygon count **** story **** low budget game, no money pay for this bored **** Iam dont know what yet write because i play only 20 minutes in this **** and deleted this after this.
  17. Dec 24, 2012
    What's all the hype about? Boring, Stupid A.I and yes! another broken console port. The game has been broken since release with a micro stutter that nvidia and amd users are both experiencing. My guess is, ubisoft won't even bother to fix it, why break with tradition, right ubisoft?? I quit playing half way through the first island, I couldn't take it anymore. Ubisoft continues theirWhat's all the hype about? Boring, Stupid A.I and yes! another broken console port. The game has been broken since release with a micro stutter that nvidia and amd users are both experiencing. My guess is, ubisoft won't even bother to fix it, why break with tradition, right ubisoft?? I quit playing half way through the first island, I couldn't take it anymore. Ubisoft continues their tradition of releasing broken games with this disaster. Aside from the broken port, it's just not fun - Bad A.I, and just a piss poor implementation of an open world game. Pass on this game, until you can get it for 5 bucks at a garage sale. Expand
  18. May 4, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a brilliant display of game design by a professional development team, working in the the adventure game genre and applying so many lessons in game design from other games and bringing them together very well. The game, finally is well built, big, fun to play, and also, on highest difficulty very challenging. Models, lighting, weapon play and AI are all excellent. TheFar Cry 3 is a brilliant display of game design by a professional development team, working in the the adventure game genre and applying so many lessons in game design from other games and bringing them together very well. The game, finally is well built, big, fun to play, and also, on highest difficulty very challenging. Models, lighting, weapon play and AI are all excellent. The environmental art and animal behavior is fantastic. Nothing is perfect and it is possible to complain about various design choices, such as the high number of QTEs and the console port clumsiness of the UI on PC. But that is splitting straws. Far Cry 3 boasts a large, brilliantly realised environment, which is beautiful and fun to roam. NPC dialogue and interaction in the general exploration of the island are almost non existant, however it is not a RPG, so much as a FPS, so the lack of interaction with passive NPCs is forgiveably replaced with the gameplay of a 'lone hunter'. To enjoy this the player is offered, cars, trucks, jet skis, quads, boats, hang-gliders and an arsenal of weapons to play with. It is quite a buzz driving at full speed along the narrow island roads, or using molotov and a flamethrower in chaotic battle with a dozen enemies or more, when you can literally set the mountains on fire. The game really has two parts: The open exploration game and the main story-line. The sandbox is great so long as you do not capture all enemy bases. You need enemy bases to spawn guys to fight so clearing the island is a BAD idea and destroys the core gameplay. DON'T DO IT. The other part of the game is the set-piece linear 'main story'. In truth this has pros and cons. The story is great but is totally linear. It also requires a range of different game actions to succeed. There are plenty of quick time events and it can be frustrating replaying sections after numerous fails. Despite some qualms about the play style the set story is really good. We have here stella writing and great humour. The key NPC's are brilliantly written and the voice acting is spot on. While the pirate leader Voss is great, I prefer the drug-fiend doctor and the CIA agent who gets my vote as the FUNNIEST NPC yet writen in the history of game design. Who would imagine references to 'pinkos' in a game written in 2012? Crafting and hunting in the game find a reasonable balance of fun and tedium. They are necessary for a time but are not required once you have skinned enough tigers to get the biggest carry bags. Think about that for a moment and tell me that video games are politically correct. The skill sets are fairly well designed, but not as good as they could have been. It's too bad they are unlocked only through the main quest line. The game offers, finally almost unlimited driving around, running, shooting and arson, on a beautiful set of islands. There are also dozens of different challenges and minigames to try out or master as well as a interesting background story in the form of relics and war letters from the Japanese occupation in WWII, as well as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' style temples and artifacts. Probably the most important advice about this game was already given: DO NOT TAKE ALL THE PIRATE OUTPOSTS. If you do that the bad guys dry-up and you will become quickly bored in a peaceful paradise. A final nod also to the sound design. We often forget to praise the music mixers and the sound engineers when we praise a design, because the sound effects are so deep a part of the experience we may not even notice them. In this game listening is as important as looking while you roam about and the music rises to match the frenzy of combat brilliantly. It's not a perfect game, but its pretty damn close. What could be PERFECT according to gamers spoilt by such a wealth of great games in the past couple of years? Far Cry 3 hints that a truly perfect game is becoming a possibilty quite soon. This game with a better UI, better (longer, deeper) skill trees and REAL choices/ real interactions with NPCs would be perfect. Witnin the next couple of years one of these great games is going to cross the line and be PERFECT, the Hamlet of game design. Which team will reach Nirvana first? Expand
  19. Jul 15, 2013
    Constantly crashes, sends you back to "checkpoints"can't save while on a mission (which it automatically dumps you into every 2 mins).

**** this piece of
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    This game feels and runs like a console port, oh, because it is one.

The multiplayer in this game is peer-to-peer, expect host swapping frequently and lots of latency. Also there's no server browser of evidence of any changes to improve multiplayer in the near future. There's probably not enough people playing the multiplayer for them to even want to support it.
  21. Jul 31, 2013
    Maybe it is because I liked Far Cry 2 so much. No maps showing everything, you had to look and listen to survive. Far Cry 3 is the opposite maps show everything. Then they added stupid mini missions.
    The only way to get improvements is killing deer pigs, and dogs. Sick...
    After over 200 games first one I will not finish..
  22. Dec 25, 2013
    An amazing immersive experience that blends elements from many other games. The story parts are well crafted, specially the characters and dialogues, and the game play is fluid and very polished. The only downfall of this game is that you will need a powerful machine to really enjoy it and that you will have to install Uplay, even if you are launching from Steam..
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    This has absolutely been the most entertaining game I've played in a long time. The graphics are top notch, the action is top notch and on top of that it had a nice story.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    Good game with great open environments. Story keeps you engaged and keeps giving you a reason to push forward. Eventually some of the open world aspects continue to feel repetitive. For the price I paid for this game (5 dollars) it was well more than worth my money.
  25. Jul 13, 2013
    I got the game on the steam summer sale. Was great for the first 3 hours that i played. Tried to save it several times and said i couldnt save it it said the "auto"save would take care of it.
    Died once-and it was stuck on the saving screen-i guess it had to communicate with U plays stupid effin servers!
    its my fault. I forgot that you needed uplay to run it and i hate uplay i hate
    its my fault. I forgot that you needed uplay to run it and i hate uplay i hate origin i hate that i cant just go out and buy a god damned game and put it in and install it like the old days.
    anyway, i played six hours, swore i SAVED it several times and guess what?
    it saved right after the guy dennis rescued me so I lost-
    -all the i crafted ie;bags, wallets etc
    -my rife that i spent 1700 bucks for
    -my compound bow which was awesome
    i lost it all and now i dont know if i want to go through it all again, it saved none of my progress, lost all the radio towers i took, all the strongholds or whatever..
    **** drm ruins everything when the will they learn?
    never...they never will and I wish something would happen to these assanine companies but it never will..anyway, i gotta give it a 2..if i could save it and not have to go through the first part 3 times id do it ..but this uplay drm
  26. Dec 9, 2012
    I wasn't really expecting too much from this title. AAA FPS's generally have very short campaigns nowadays and unmemorable simplistic COD mechanics. Far Cry 3 isn't bucking this trend, but it's actually a pretty fun game despite it's genre redundancy due to a gorgeous backdrop and cinematic flare. The narrative, while simplistic, is fun and the voicework is solid. I really liked Vaas,I wasn't really expecting too much from this title. AAA FPS's generally have very short campaigns nowadays and unmemorable simplistic COD mechanics. Far Cry 3 isn't bucking this trend, but it's actually a pretty fun game despite it's genre redundancy due to a gorgeous backdrop and cinematic flare. The narrative, while simplistic, is fun and the voicework is solid. I really liked Vaas, and found him to be an entertaining antagonist. Take everything in Far Cry that was BAD and FIX IT while throwing out all the elements that worked. Then take all the elements of Far Cry 2 that were BAD and FIX THAT...but throw everything out that made Far Cry 2 work. Throw in some Skyrim and Dead Island and now you have Far Cry 3. I know this genre mashup and blatant lifting of mechanics from other popular games sound tired, but it's actually quite inspired in implementation and everything meshes nicely. Dunia 2 looks amazing and performs really well on my 8320/5770/8gb DDR3 maxed. I don't understand the visual complaints regarding this game. My rig ain't no slouch, but it is by no means any beast either. Game is gorgeous, the facial animation system is really nice, draw distance is impressive. It's definitely a ONE time playthrough. Buy it now if you are in desperate need of a distraction, or wait for it to drop to 29.99 a year from now...but definitely worth a purchase even if you aren't really a Far Cry or fps fan. Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2013
    I must say, this game really surprised me: infact is surprisingly playable and...fun and even though it may resemble like a "Skyrim with guns", it has its unique traits to make the difference. The game has 3 modes, and the first (and most important) is the story mode, which is basically the core of the game. The story is actually engaging and your character is...not bad! You kindaI must say, this game really surprised me: infact is surprisingly playable and...fun and even though it may resemble like a "Skyrim with guns", it has its unique traits to make the difference. The game has 3 modes, and the first (and most important) is the story mode, which is basically the core of the game. The story is actually engaging and your character is...not bad! You kinda sympathize with him in the end because he becomes sure of himself and becomes a real warrior of the jungle. We also have various missions here and we also need to hunt for animals, in order to increase our inventory. The island is huge and you'll take a lot of time to explore it. The graphics are good but they lack some extra detail that could have made it amazing, but it's still good, without mentioning the huge amount of secrets and things to discover (relics, lost letters from the war, underwater caves, etc). But still, it has some big flaws that really annoyed me: for starters, the idea of giving you an extremely limited inventory is bad and at the beginning of the game you won't be able to carry more than 1 weapon at the time, with also few ammo, few medicines, few grenades, few rockets, few anything! Luckily it can be increased rather quick by just hunting the animals you need but it's a huge limitation at the beginning that forces you to sell almost anything you get and to make you use weapons that aren't good for silent attacks. It looks more like an excuse to hunt animals, more than a real limitation. Since the island is huge, you'll be able to drive on the island, but the controls are horrible and really feels like it's sliding on the road. And those are jeeps. The game will make us see from "his eyes" so we basically play from his perspective in all times...yet we only see his hands: are we a ghost? That really seems a big lack, considering that the "feel" the game wants to give us is a feel of "real life" and engagement. Infact, the inventory shouldn't even be a menu on another screen and it should be on without stopping the game (sort of like Dead Space). That would have made things much more interesting and engaging. The missions are...very lacking too. You get more missions by conquering outposts (and if you do without being seen, you get tons of exp), and these missions are usually of 2 kinds: 1) kill a pirate with your knife 2) kill a rare animal...which is easily spotted on the map. There are also other sub quests, but they are even easier than the previous ones and usually takes no more than 5 minute. In other words, it could have been better Ah, and there are also challenges to do but they usually just give you money, which is so easy to obtain in the game and you'll be often spending it in order to keep your wallet free. And for last, your skills: you don't have levels but you obtain skill points each time you get enough experience: the skills are many and splitted into 3 branches, which mostly differs on game styles more than actual "speccs". It might be good except that the game forces you to play onward for unlocking your advanced skills! I had 5-6 points to spend, but no new skills to buy, and in the end I had to continue in order to unlock more: this again kills the purpose of being free, since you'll be limited on your skills until you reach a certain point of the story, without mentioning that a lot of these skills are useless and gaining skill points is a breeze (1500 exp just for taking over an outpost without being seen!). However, as a story mode itself, is great, engaging and fun, and that alone it's enough to entertain you. But we also have co-op mode, which you take control of 1 of 4 characters, which aren't exactly related with the story of game, and you'll basically do campaigns with more people. I wasn't able to play it entirely due to my bad luck but it was pretty intense! The enemies are tough and your weapons choice (which can be pre-set or the same as your multiplayer set) count. I can't say exactly much, but it's still more variation to a game that have a lot of content. For last, we have a multiplayer, which is similar to Call of Duty in style...except you actually need to aim. There are various modes and the weapons are varied, although unlocked by levels, and you get attachments from decoding (and if I'm right also from levels). The arenas are pretty detailed and very cured: I hardly saw campers and the reason is that you can't kill in few hits (unless you use a shotgun), forcing you to aim and to try to be a little more precise. We also get "killstreaks", which aren't many but they aren't unbalanced either. This mode is, in a nutshell, a more balanced version of Call of Duty, and it's a good time waster for those moments you just want to shoot. All in all, a very good game, fun to play andreally enjoyable, definitely worth a try out if you want to play a good FPS-RPG game. Nothing really original...but it's extremely fun to play! Expand
  28. Dec 28, 2012
    Huge improvement on FC2 in every area so far, in my opinion. The story and characters are actually interesting this time, the island looks amazing, and the gunplay and weapon choices really have me hooked as well. The game does have some obvious flaws but because the core mechanics are so well done, they really don't take much away from the experience. Just to name some things thatHuge improvement on FC2 in every area so far, in my opinion. The story and characters are actually interesting this time, the island looks amazing, and the gunplay and weapon choices really have me hooked as well. The game does have some obvious flaws but because the core mechanics are so well done, they really don't take much away from the experience. Just to name some things that bothered me, most of the side quests and activities are pretty boring and feel pointless such as the supply runs. Also because enemies stop respawning when you take an outpost, if you conquer the entire island, it makes it entirely boring in the areas you've captured. However, there are a few mods out there now fix this issue either by making it so wiping an outpost doesn't bring it under your control, or being able to reset them all. WITH THOSE MODS, I would give it a 9 or 10 but I'm judging the vanilla game here. Expand
  29. Jun 16, 2014
    Blood Dragon is much better game than this. Okay, I don't want to judge a FarCry's whole main storyline, but acting, dialogs - they are just awful. And Jason is a crying maiden used to talk to himself. AI is a crap, you can kill pirate without sound suppressor, hide near in a small bush - and his friends will forget about you in 30 seconds. And of course they wouldn't trigger the alarm,Blood Dragon is much better game than this. Okay, I don't want to judge a FarCry's whole main storyline, but acting, dialogs - they are just awful. And Jason is a crying maiden used to talk to himself. AI is a crap, you can kill pirate without sound suppressor, hide near in a small bush - and his friends will forget about you in 30 seconds. And of course they wouldn't trigger the alarm, "there is nothing to worry about". Animals are not better - predators politely warn you with roar, tigers and leopards like to charge prey instead of real hunting. Watching a couple of komodo dragons wiping several patrols of arming men is funny. Quests like "drive this car for 30 seconds from A to B" or "I am a poor woman living in a rubble pile but take this 500 dollars as reward" are just indicate level of creativity put in this game. All that is good in this game - graphics and a relatively big world to explore. Expand
  30. Feb 7, 2013
    Far Cry 3 saved the series after a string of pointless spin-offs of the first game, a remake, and a remake OF the remake. To top it off, the last main entry, Far Cry 2, was a mediocre, frustrating, redundant, and unrewarding game set in a somewhat-interesting landscape that lacked any incentive to explore it. Far Cry 3 was a welcome improvement over its predecessors, However, the gameFar Cry 3 saved the series after a string of pointless spin-offs of the first game, a remake, and a remake OF the remake. To top it off, the last main entry, Far Cry 2, was a mediocre, frustrating, redundant, and unrewarding game set in a somewhat-interesting landscape that lacked any incentive to explore it. Far Cry 3 was a welcome improvement over its predecessors, However, the game still suffers from the biggest game-breaking flaw that has plagued the series since the beginning: A large, beautiful environment with no rewards for actually exploring it. All of the weapons are available to the player for free, as long as they unlock radio towers, and the process of doing so requires no challenge. To make it worse, the player has unlimited, free access to previously-unavailable weapons after they pick them up from the corpse of a foe. Meaning if you just grabbed a shiny new gun from the ground, congratulations, you now have it an endless free supply of them, just like any other weapon you may have shelled out thousands of dollars for. There are hardly any unique side-quests worth going out of your way for, and they only reward you with money, which you'll find you have plenty of mid-way through the game. Money is almost worthless once you have all of the weapons readily available. The only purpose is buying the occasional much-needed health, ammo, or body armor. None of which (with maybe the exception of body armor) are difficult to obtain on your own. In fact, I have so many green leaves, which are use to craft healing items, that I had to sell most of them just because I needed the space, and I would never, ever need that much. There are other types of syringes, used for such things as boosting damage resistance to fire, and aiding your hunting and exploration abilities, however, they are unnecessary. Hunting isn't particularly difficult, and neither is combat, even on the most difficult setting. I could go on and on about why Far Cry 3 will not satisfy those who want a meaningful sandbox game, but if you are looking for a slick, fulfilling shooter game, you'll have a blast. Good controls is vital to great combat. Far Cry 3 rivals Max Payne 3 for having the most crisp, fluid controls of any PC game of 2012, even on mid-grade gaming rigs that can't quite run Far Cry 3 with optimal performance. The graphics are eye-popping; the water stands out. The many lakes, rivers, and waterfalls look incredible, especially when the sunlight shimmers along the top, and the bodies of your enemies float freely, slowly staining the teal-liquid red.

In short ,Far Cry 3 fails to impress the adventurer in me, but the warrior in me hasn't been this impressed with a shooter since BioShock.
  31. Feb 19, 2013
    This game was pretty enjoyable. It fixed many of the issues I had with Far Cry 2, but made some changes I wasn't ready to accept. I know this goes against the consensus, but the story in this game was quite ridiculous. The tribal nonsense, the quick time events, and the oh-so-tiring explosive action sequences found in every other shooter game made me miss the more realistic story of FarThis game was pretty enjoyable. It fixed many of the issues I had with Far Cry 2, but made some changes I wasn't ready to accept. I know this goes against the consensus, but the story in this game was quite ridiculous. The tribal nonsense, the quick time events, and the oh-so-tiring explosive action sequences found in every other shooter game made me miss the more realistic story of Far Cry 2. My only other legitimate complaint is that the PC version feels shafted. The visuals don't look too terribly impressive, at least not enough to justify the low framerates I get on my mid range PC. The mouse on the menu doesn't respond that well. But don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic sequel and perhaps the best shooter I've played for a while. Expand
  32. Jan 22, 2013
    The first half of this game is great. The antagonist give you the chills in a similar way hat the Joker does for Batman. The second half of this game continues its solid gameplay, but the story is total crap.
  33. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very very enjoyable game. Great story (which unfortunately loses steam after the sudden and inglorious ending of the beautifully-acted Vaas character), fun gameplay, and crafting that doesn't take up much of your time. A beautiful, though imperfect, little sandbox that is well worth the time it takes to play through. Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2012
    Not perfect, but if you can ignore the idiotic over-arching plot there's some great dialog and characters. The gunplay is the tightest and most satisfying I can recall in any game and the world is gorgeous. It outdoes Just Cause 2 as a "just run around and enjoy" game, and that's saying something.
  35. Mar 31, 2013
    I like the game, because the world is so big and full of things to explore, but i dislike that i'm forced to do the Main Quest to unlock allmost every skill to unlock. I have explored the first island entirely and have a dozen skill points unused, because i have only rescued Daisy and Liza. And it is also a bit frustrating that the game crashes sometimes several times in a row.
  36. Feb 6, 2013
    As far as the single player portion of the game is concerned, this is the undoubtedly the best Far Cry ever. But in terms of multiplayer... I'm feeling pretty disappointed here. I'm sure other user reviews have already pointed this out, but it's something the developer needs to be called out on. They removed vehicles from multiplayer. I just don't understand. The whole "wow factor" of FarAs far as the single player portion of the game is concerned, this is the undoubtedly the best Far Cry ever. But in terms of multiplayer... I'm feeling pretty disappointed here. I'm sure other user reviews have already pointed this out, but it's something the developer needs to be called out on. They removed vehicles from multiplayer. I just don't understand. The whole "wow factor" of Far Cry multiplayer has always been the huge open levels with vehicles. I feel betrayed to be honest. But what do they care, they already got my money. I would have given this game a 10 if they didn't remove such a heavy feature from the previous games. Expand
  37. Dec 8, 2012
    Pros: Very very well optimized game engine. Smooth as butter with the latest nvidia beta drives that increase Far Cry 3 FPS by 37%. The combat is decent (but super easy no challenge on max difficulty). The map is huge. A PC game that is a pleasure to play with the 360 controller on the sofa.
    Cons: Poor AI. Repeated character model and dialogue use - this is really really bad - you see the same identical npcs everywhere (like 10 times as bad as skyrim). While the map is large, it feels small because combat only occurs on about 1% of the map.

God i wish there was a patch that increased the difficulty.... cuz the combat is stupidly simple.
  38. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favorites, FC3 is an amazing game.

For starters, the game is beautiful, and Rook Island looks amazing. The takedown mechanics are solid, stable and really fun! Shooting is satisfying, and also stable. But I do have some complaints about this. For starters, money becomes almost useless late game. You unlock guns after activating radio towers, so what's the point of buying
    One of my favorites, FC3 is an amazing game.

But I do have some complaints about this. For starters, money becomes almost useless late game. You unlock guns after activating radio towers, so what's the point of buying them? Hunting can also be a chore, and sometimes the animals don't even spawn at their designated spawn ground.

The single player is the best feature of the game. It has a somewhat generic storyline to it, but it's not vital to understanding the game. You're some random kid who gets captured by pirates and now you have to save your friends from the hands of the island's mercenaries, pirates, etc...
    There aren't a lot of guns, but at least you can add modification attachments, and apply paint jobs to them. The environment is detailed and lush, and the graphics are fantastic.

I would give this game a 10, but the multiplayer is this game's Achilles Heel.
    The standard multiplayer is a generic pirate vs rakyat combat with no new innovation or fun. Leveling up isn't as rewarding or satisfying as leveling up in Battlefield. When I discovered that this game had a Coop mode and you could play with your friends, I was ecstatic! But when we finally played it, we were disappointed.
    The Coop is really just a set of really boring missions that revolves around stopping some captain or something, I don't know, i didn't pay attention to the story. Why couldn't Ubisoft make the Coop an open world mode? Imagine driving around Rook Island, you at the steering wheel and a friend in the turret, ready to take down pirates! That's what I was expecting, not the boring generic stupid coop missions.
    The missions hold no variety, there are quicktime events, you have to repair some random piece of machinery, you need to do this and do that, it gets very tedious after a while.
    Granted, the missions can be a little bit fun, but when you get up to the carrying missions, you wish you were playing the single player. There are times where you have to pick up bombs, missiles or other random crap and take it to a place. When you're holding the item, you can't sprint or crouch, you can't shoot. If your friend(s) can't defend you, you lose the mission! What a joke.
    Also, they removed the fire-spread system from coop. The flamethrower is incredibly OP when held by a flamer. It can insta-down you almost quickly, but the flamethrower in your hands is nothing more than a water gun.

Don't expect great multiplayer out of this. Only play the singleplayer.
  39. May 8, 2013
    Ok where to start. The gameplay here is awesome, as is the setting. Combine it with the free roam and you've got yourself one epic sandbox game, but there a couple glaring problems for me personally. The first one being the story. Now I loved Vaas and how the game starts, but honestly I couldn't hate Jason more. He goes from a giant baby to a giant @$$hole. Sure he's a survivor, but itOk where to start. The gameplay here is awesome, as is the setting. Combine it with the free roam and you've got yourself one epic sandbox game, but there a couple glaring problems for me personally. The first one being the story. Now I loved Vaas and how the game starts, but honestly I couldn't hate Jason more. He goes from a giant baby to a giant @$$hole. Sure he's a survivor, but it doesn't mean he has to be a jerk as well. The stealth has some flaws (like enemies seeing you from 500 yards away through a bush), but it isn't a huge game breaking thing that happens often. What bothers me the most though is all the druggy crap and the perpetual swearing of every character in co-op. It really becomes unnecessary after a while and actually annoying. I know the villain is basically a drug dealer, but I don't want the entire game to be Jason getting high to get in touch all his spirits and stuff like that. Other than that though it really is a solid game. Expand
  40. Jan 24, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is without a doubt the high point of the franchise. After the lackluster Far Cry 2, it's great to see Ubisoft fix just about everything that was wrong with it. Fantastic visuals and optimization. The storyline is good, but not great. There are a lot of poorly fleshed out characters that I would have loved to get to know better, especially the friends that you spend the entireFar Cry 3 is without a doubt the high point of the franchise. After the lackluster Far Cry 2, it's great to see Ubisoft fix just about everything that was wrong with it. Fantastic visuals and optimization. The storyline is good, but not great. There are a lot of poorly fleshed out characters that I would have loved to get to know better, especially the friends that you spend the entire game trying to rescue. The story itself was a bit shorter than I would have liked. There needed to be more story missions where you interact with other characters. The difficulty was definitely too easy. They were definitely trying to appeal to the console crowd by making the game easier, but that's not what Far Cry is. The opportunity to plan attacks on outposts is great, but the lax difficulty means that this really isn't necessary. There were a few glitches and bugs that I came across but nothing that was really severe. However the biggest problem with the game is the multiplayer. Far Cry never was, and never should be, about multiplayer or Co-OP. Resources were wasted on both of these modes that could have been used to improve the singleplayer experience. Overall the game is absolutely fantastic. If they stop trying to appeal to console players and ditch the lame multiplayer and coop modes, then Far Cry 4 can be a complete masterpiece. Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2013
    Amazing game, has everything going for, great gameplay, great story, great graphics, you can't go wrong here. AI may not be the best but is not bad either. Overall this was a great experience that every real gamer should play.
  42. May 18, 2013
    Wonderful graphics. Interesting story with really well done voice acting. The collection quests are crap though and a lot of the side quests feel like filler. Only reason to do them is to unlock signature weapons. Everything is marked on the map so there is no real exploration which really kills the point of open world. But it seems every open world game does this now. The world isWonderful graphics. Interesting story with really well done voice acting. The collection quests are crap though and a lot of the side quests feel like filler. Only reason to do them is to unlock signature weapons. Everything is marked on the map so there is no real exploration which really kills the point of open world. But it seems every open world game does this now. The world is really well done though, the combat is fun and entertaining, and if you spend time collecting relics etc, you get a lot of life from the game. Expand
  43. Feb 13, 2013
    The AI is seriously dumb man. I mean, leaving a tiger in their camp, surrounded by the flimsiest of cages, all pointing more-or-less in one direction and blindly chasing after the sound of a pebble hitting the floor. What chance do they have against Jason Brody, an unstoppable geezer with a tatoo and a flamethrower! It's an open-world game, with a linear plot that doesn't take itself tooThe AI is seriously dumb man. I mean, leaving a tiger in their camp, surrounded by the flimsiest of cages, all pointing more-or-less in one direction and blindly chasing after the sound of a pebble hitting the floor. What chance do they have against Jason Brody, an unstoppable geezer with a tatoo and a flamethrower! It's an open-world game, with a linear plot that doesn't take itself too seriously with realism. Not quite as addictive as Borderlands2, for pure gunfight carnage, but where else can you wrestle with sharks, go hang-gliding over a beautiful tropical island and take hallucinogenic plants? Oh yeah your dreams of course! Expand
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantasticThis game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantastic and make for almost believable cover. The sounds in FC3 really excel. The music always adds to the experience and the voice acting is some of the best I've experienced in a video game for a long time. The mechanics are not always intuitive, the takedown feature, after a number of upgrades, can rely on too many unintuitive key combinations at the same time. Besides this, the actual gunplay, stealth, driving and other upgrades are excellent examples of what modern shooters should aim for. An area that is very poor is the AI. It appears that to avoid the common stealth problem of having AI that automatically know where you are, the AI are completely dumbed down. They can track your last location correctly, but you will often see a guard walk straight past you when you are in plain sight. It must also be pointed out that story quests make heavy use of quick time events, these are a blight on games right now and they occasionally severely interrupt a cutscene. On the non-technical side, the story has some flaws. I went into this game expecting a fairly realistic game oriented around surviving being kidnapped and not being killed by the opposing faction, instead (spoilers) I found a game that behaves like a serious experience that I described, littered with some strange "magic" type story about tattoos and natives to the island. It should not have been in the game at all. The delusion and drug sequences were great, but they should have been oriented around drug usage or illness, not magic potions. The multiple choice ending was just utterly ridiculous. Why give us two choices that only affect the last 5 minutes of the cutscene at the end of the game? And why is one of them so utterly disappointing. The experience also drags on due to a lack of variation nearer the end of the game. You'll probably play around 30 to 40 hours of the game before this happens, so it's still absolutely worth the purchase. I recommend Far Cry 3. Despite all of it's flaws it has great gameplay, it is a fun and engaging experience, and it starts off brilliantly even if it doesn't last the full length of the game. Expand
  45. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is at best, average. The side missions are dumb. You have all these kinds of guns but you are limited to using a knife on missions. Each outpost you must liberate are basically the same. 4 enemies, kill them all then it's yours. It gets pretty repetitive. Not to mention that there is no point in exploration in this game. Once you are done in an area, there's no point in goingThis game is at best, average. The side missions are dumb. You have all these kinds of guns but you are limited to using a knife on missions. Each outpost you must liberate are basically the same. 4 enemies, kill them all then it's yours. It gets pretty repetitive. Not to mention that there is no point in exploration in this game. Once you are done in an area, there's no point in going back to it, because it will stay that way the entire game, it will not be re-conquered by bad guys or some other scenario, it's very static, not a dynamic world.
    It would have been more interesting if there's constant fighting between the rebels and the pirates, where you could jump in and be the difference maker, but there is no such thing in Farcry 3.
    It's a single play-through game that's not worth 60 bucks retail.
    I would not advise in getting the mods for this game as many of those things replace binaries, which could be a carrier for a trojan virus. Mods are done by strangers, not an official company.
  46. Oct 13, 2013
    I can't say I did not enjoy the game but being more of a storyline guy I must say I got a little bored pretty soon.... I found the main storyline to be short and not at all surprising... No twists or anything.. On the bright side there are a lot of misc. things to do while you are exploring the map which indeed adds to the depth and and the timespan of the game... Hunting ExploringI can't say I did not enjoy the game but being more of a storyline guy I must say I got a little bored pretty soon.... I found the main storyline to be short and not at all surprising... No twists or anything.. On the bright side there are a lot of misc. things to do while you are exploring the map which indeed adds to the depth and and the timespan of the game... Hunting Exploring Taking Down Radio Towers and capturing enemy bases are just some of the things you can do on the island but I found that even these activities get a little boring after a while... Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2012
    Ubisoft has once again driven a game into the abyss. The use of emulation software for the PC controls has renedered the game unplayable. In fact there are many deal-breakers. AI so poorly written that if you just watch, they will kill themselves. They do nothing. The actual game is so short it's absurd. The multiplayer is just a waste and should not have been done at all considering theUbisoft has once again driven a game into the abyss. The use of emulation software for the PC controls has renedered the game unplayable. In fact there are many deal-breakers. AI so poorly written that if you just watch, they will kill themselves. They do nothing. The actual game is so short it's absurd. The multiplayer is just a waste and should not have been done at all considering the wretched state of the singleplayer. Fail! Simple as that Fail..............Fail........................Fail! The only part that was good were the old maps done by Crytek oh so long ago. And then with Ubisoft's help they flash and light in and out. Box game and should have stayed that way! Expand
  48. Dec 30, 2012
    Rife with infuriating idiosyncrasies including goofy fall damage mechanic, terrible awful **** worst ever stealth kill mechanic which works maybe 40% of the time, and then there's the AI..... This doesn't even touch on how nauseatingly bad the story and characters are. I had absolutely 0 sympathy or desire to help the protagonist or his **** friends. This game would be been way better ifRife with infuriating idiosyncrasies including goofy fall damage mechanic, terrible awful **** worst ever stealth kill mechanic which works maybe 40% of the time, and then there's the AI..... This doesn't even touch on how nauseatingly bad the story and characters are. I had absolutely 0 sympathy or desire to help the protagonist or his **** friends. This game would be been way better if you played as Vaas and had got to hunt the spoiled rich kids. And what kind of open world game doesn't let you kill whomever you please?!? Kill 3 civilians in a short period of time and the game punishes you with death. I wish I hadn't paid for this game. And Ubisoft and shove "UPlay" right back up their asses. Expand
  49. Dec 7, 2012
    To begin I think this game looks great, plays just as well and offers a different experience from FC2 while maintaining the structure and environment. I like the way they've scripted the main character and helped the player feel more in-tune with the story. I also like the diversity of the wildlife and vehicles. I love the detail on the weapons as well as the bright, intense amazingTo begin I think this game looks great, plays just as well and offers a different experience from FC2 while maintaining the structure and environment. I like the way they've scripted the main character and helped the player feel more in-tune with the story. I also like the diversity of the wildlife and vehicles. I love the detail on the weapons as well as the bright, intense amazing looking reticules in the optics. This being said I have come to feel like asking for some changes after only the first few, however addicting, hours of gameplay. Firstly I definitely think a wider variety of weapons should be in order. Maybe you could buy a better knife? A spear gun? A crossbow? Throwing knives? Something! I also feel there could be more vehicles, not just ever so slight variations of the ones from the title's predecessor. Enemies all look the exact same which withdraws in a massive way the realism and immersive feeling. Like others have said enemies are terrible at spotting you. The animation of wildlife once they've engaged your character just look like something that's not even finished yet. The island does look the exact same everywhere you go as do shacks. All these points I'm making basically echo those above. I also cannot help but agree with everything positive and negative written about the game so far. Please take these things into consideration for future software updates. Don't let these negative observations distract you (the devs) from the fact that this is an excellent game overall. Expand
  50. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. almost perfect for me, just add an "inventory" menu for organizing the equipment so i don't need to go to safehouse for preparing for my adventure, erase the "get a free weapon when activating a radio tower" cuz it make the game too easy, and make the repair tool as equipment, not weapon (when inventory menu was added later) Expand
  51. Dec 21, 2012
    I like the way the game was set up, but I find it saddening that I can only play the game on a pc, and I believe that this game should also be for macs.
  52. Dec 29, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is an average game at best for me, It claim it have open world element like Skyrim, which it does however it's still pretty linear best. I will make a lot of comparison with Skyrim since they both pretty similar.

If you like me, you will like to sneak, explore, craft, kill, leveling up and story line. The sneaking in Far Cry 3 in my honest opinion is excellent, it's almost the same as Skyrim but maybe easier since whenever someone somewhat looking for you, the indicator will tell you the direction he/she coming from. This makes the game incredibly easier and since the sneak kill reward you more experience with knife kills, it prob the better patch choice but be warn, it will make the game easier. I pretty much cover sneak, kill and leveling up at this point, you can go blazing your way down with guns and rocket launcher but you wont get as much experience that way. The weapons in this game you can achieve easily by controlling them radio tower or purchasing them, if they can put crafting recipe to make AK that will be awesome. One experience that satisfying however when i put land mine and throw stones next to it so enemy can get blown up.

Exploration and crafting probably one of the most important aspect in a open world game. I'm not a fan of collecting all collectibles or achievement in game or steam, I think of them as a gimmick that developer put to make the game more "interesting" or rich of "content", no offense to you guys who likes to do them. The game related exploration however is pretty dull, you can kill certain animals to get their hides or flowers to get their petals(I'm assuming) and craft them to make more extra pouch/bigger wallet, etc. This is a good idea however, after i played for an hour, i realized, i didn't even need them as i took the assassin route. You can use your "First-Aid" and upgrade them like you would do with your other skills thus making herbs/drugs pointless. The same goes with crafting pouches or wallet, if you stealth like person otherwise you do need to go out and hunt some hides to carry more stuffs.

The story in the game have to be good for me to keep me interested, I kid you not, i play CoD MW just for the story, putting that aside, i think the story is dull, the main character is prob the most annoying character in this game, he whine about cannot use gun etc at first then when he actually use it, he is a pro at it(depends on your skill of course). I find that annoying to listen to him and the way he act like Rambo in the end is laughable. There are other main characters that need your help, including the so call army called "rakyat" rakyat is people in Indonesian by the way, how do i know that? cause i am Indonesian. Overall, the story just not interesting enough for me to keep me interested, I just wanted to rush over and finish the game.

In conclusion, the game is ok but very limited content if you don't care about achievements/collectibles, game is easy enough as is, especially early game with stealth path, crafting drugs seems pointless and the character is just not interesting enough. In my opinion, this game not worth the full retail price, maybe wait for steam sale to get it.
  53. Dec 30, 2012
    very enjoyable fxpoghkjdx[gpodf[gpoh[pfgxh[cpok[pokb[fpokgf[xpnogf[pknpogkhb][polkn][pcbo]npokgng]cp[ojn]p[vob]cvp[o][pbok]bvp[o]cp[kn]p[obvn][pbkn]pv kn]cnk
  54. Jan 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is exactly what we should expect from every AAA title. The game has a solid story-line that is simple to follow but still intriguing, the game-play mechanics are smooth, with some nice abilities to spice things up, and the scenery is quite beautiful how ever repetitive making the latter parts of the game seem slightly less inspired. However, the main story mission and outpostFar Cry 3 is exactly what we should expect from every AAA title. The game has a solid story-line that is simple to follow but still intriguing, the game-play mechanics are smooth, with some nice abilities to spice things up, and the scenery is quite beautiful how ever repetitive making the latter parts of the game seem slightly less inspired. However, the main story mission and outpost captures all feel very unique and each present their own challenges keeping the game still feel fresh after 20 hours. I would highly recommend that all who have yet to play the game play on the harder difficulty when not doing story missions (this can be found in options while playing) or else you may feel too comfortable and unchallenged. Expand
  55. Feb 14, 2013
    Amazing game, really immersive and realistic. The graphics are stunning and it has a good combat system. A lot of effort as been put into this game by Ubisoft Montreal, and I think it deserves the GOTY award.
  56. Mar 31, 2013
    This game had many many great things going for it, and friends as well as many of you here in the reviews recommended it and praised it. But sadly, as much as I tried to enjoy it, it really felt sub-par. I have a decently well made computer and even on low I had enough lag to make game play annoying, not a game to get if your computer cannot handle Skyrim even. I liked the story up until IThis game had many many great things going for it, and friends as well as many of you here in the reviews recommended it and praised it. But sadly, as much as I tried to enjoy it, it really felt sub-par. I have a decently well made computer and even on low I had enough lag to make game play annoying, not a game to get if your computer cannot handle Skyrim even. I liked the story up until I decided I was done with it, and I thought the ta-tau was an interesting addition. I wish Ubisoft would have optimized their game better, when I opened the game for the first time I got a wave of lag and terrible graphics, I think I spent around an hour google-ing ways to fix graphical issues and screen tears, and tuning the sensitivity and such to an acceptable level. Now after all of this I had bought this game to play with a friend first and do the solo campaign, well, solo. That was not going to happen, friends couldn't connect to me, even the slightest, all 3 of my friends were completely unable to connect to my match, even after a lot of forum reading and such no results were produced. Now all of this is pretty bad but on top of that I had to deal with U-play and Steam both running on the same game, for the love of all that is sacred what was that!? I took a lot of time to sign up before I could play after paying 60$. As if that wasn't bad enough I get in game and immediately get spammed by tutorials so much so that I just felt overwhelmed. I really think this game could have been better with a little more effort on the side of the publishing and optimization of Far cry 3, but alas it was too tarnished by my experience for me to be able to look past it's flaws. Expand
  57. Feb 18, 2013
    I have played 250 hours of Black Ops 2 on the PC, and hated the bs.
    For those looking for a open-world, first person shooter with combination of AC3 and Skyrim, get this game. You won't regret, the game visuals are awesome too.
    It lasts about 10 hours to complete the entire game or faster if you can.
  58. May 18, 2013
    The game looks stunning. Sounds are top notch, so is acting.

The game looks stunning. Sounds are top notch, so is acting.

However they have drastically dumbed the series down. The AI is laughable, money are really easy to earn, it takes you half a second to heal during the battle, and the healing plants are scattered all over the map etc etc etc. Also some parts of the story are so painfully stupid it hurts. To enjoy the game I recommend that you don't play it any longer than 2 hours a week, otherwise all those annoying things start to get you.
  59. Mar 3, 2013
    Farcry 3 enables that thing that excites me most about gaming, that moment when you forget it's a game and feel integrated into the flow of the story. An absolutely massive island archipelago that is lush and filled with villains and intense situations and could be ripped out of any Hollywood action film but here you get to play the title role. The game places you on a path and thenFarcry 3 enables that thing that excites me most about gaming, that moment when you forget it's a game and feel integrated into the flow of the story. An absolutely massive island archipelago that is lush and filled with villains and intense situations and could be ripped out of any Hollywood action film but here you get to play the title role. The game places you on a path and then gives you the freedom to do things your own way. Of course the plot ultimately must be followed but not precisely, and if you want to go out hunting bears with a flamethrower, there's plenty of time for recreation, along with learning new skills, exploration, takeovers, expanding your power, meeting new people, getting new weapons.
    Farcry 2 was an excellent game with an interesting message but there is no comparison here. This is an entirely new game and the graphics are so good and often so beautiful that while I'm caught up in the game, I can turn and see the sun setting over a waterfall in the distance and I have to stop and stare. It's almost like you can feel the evening breeze. Amazing.
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    Farcry 3 is an amazing game, unlike Farcry 2, this goes back to more Farcry 1 setting, an archipelago called the Rook Islands. The story and characters are very interesting. Including my favorite, Vaas. Hes a badass mother that you don't want to mess with. The graphics are great, varying on what console you buy it on, i got it on pc, so i had a great graphic experience. The game play isFarcry 3 is an amazing game, unlike Farcry 2, this goes back to more Farcry 1 setting, an archipelago called the Rook Islands. The story and characters are very interesting. Including my favorite, Vaas. Hes a badass mother that you don't want to mess with. The graphics are great, varying on what console you buy it on, i got it on pc, so i had a great graphic experience. The game play is unique and does open world stealth well. One complaint is the lousy over accurate AI. They can shoot you from a mile away! The vehicles are fun but im sad they ditched multiplayer vehicles. Speaking of multiplayer, it sucks. You get a mediocre coop campaign and a copy and paste multiplayer system with killstreaks, loadouts, and gun customization. But the campaign is more than enough to make up for these flaws and for that, Farcry 3 gets a 9/10 Collapse
  61. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tasteless, repetitive, boring, unbalanced, horrible performance, no optimization whatsoever. That's what this game is.

It desperately tries to bring an entire open world where you feel like a survivor in an epic adventure, but in the end it doesn't. No immersion. I don't feel like I'm Jason. The story is not bad, but it's not good either. Nothing new. The main antagonist is the only character with a real personality. And that's not good. It makes me want to lose so he can win.

Let's focus on each point and why it fails:
    1. Story: nothing new. Boy goes on adventure, something goes wrong, friends in trouble, must become a hero and save them, join some guys who are against the villain's tirany. It's not bad, but it's not enough.

2. Performance: laggy, choppy, with no optimization, can't play in high graphic settings with more than 30 fps. And even playing in ultra, the graphics are not good enough for what it consumes. So far, a crappy port.

3. Gameplay mechanics: nothing new, and very badly done. Open world, full of enemies, you can hunt, you can do side missions, you can collect things, you can craft. Like any other open world game of this kind. Weapons suck, I can do more damage with an AK47 than with a Magnum revolver. I mean, a magnum has a 6-bullet round and should take 1 shot to kill, but in this game, it takes all 6, even with headshots, versus 1 headshot with the AK47 which can be accomplished fairly easy if you are used to FPS games. Bows? More like freaking machineguns at the speed they shoot. No need to charge your shot, no sir, the arrow will always go fast as a bullet out of the bow, and you don't even need to reload! Incendiary arrows? Way better! Just shoot them 20 times in 10 seconds and burn the whole island to the ground!

4. Interface: crappy. They should've used Steamworks instead of UPlay for multiplayer, because it is very buggy and difficult to join a lobby. It takes a long while to load because it has to send and receive a lot of data, and it does it slowly.

5. DRM: the worst part. Not only you have to log into Steam to play, but you also have to log into UPlay to launch the game. And the worst of the worst? Manual input of serial keys, without being able to paste it. You have to input it letter by letter and remember, no scores or capitals, or else it won't work! It took me 3 times to enter it correctly because of this! to unlock your game and DLC. Why on Earth?

6. Co-op: linear, repetitive, boring. It can be fun if you play with friends or just want to shoot around people, but just that.

Overall, this game was a disappointment. I don't even want to finish it.
  62. May 8, 2013
    After useless developer chatter I was finally able to play this game from a Youtube tutorial, because Steam has not updated the U-Play launcher, and you get an unbroken outdated version which does not automatically update. Anyhow, the graphics are stunning and amazing, something rather new in this pixel revival age, and animations are another unsurmountable achievement. Gameplay isAfter useless developer chatter I was finally able to play this game from a Youtube tutorial, because Steam has not updated the U-Play launcher, and you get an unbroken outdated version which does not automatically update. Anyhow, the graphics are stunning and amazing, something rather new in this pixel revival age, and animations are another unsurmountable achievement. Gameplay is mediocre, as far as swinging your machete and going pew-pew goes. However, badass takedowns make up for it, allowing you to instantly kill your enemy in your own brutal fashion. However the game's biggest, by far, flaw, is the story and main questline. Despite it seeming simple: saving your friends from some named Vaas( easily contesting Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 for best antagonist of the year). However, you get drugged far too often in one of many ways, from a drink to mushrooms. This gets repetitive very quickly, and you can't expect anything. Then you get raped by Citra, the rebel faction's leader, right after (you guessed it) being drugged. It just gets wierder and wierder. The boss battles are short and laughably easy quicktime events, making them lackluster and dull. They also take place while(you guessed it) being drugged, or at least appear to with a black background and dance floor-like ground. Then you meet another ally which is predictably going to die, and he does. Then you meet Hoyt, a far less interesting antagonist, yet still pretty interesting at that. The three bosses in the game are all the said quicktime battles, and all are almost identical. Hoyt also does something pointless when he lops your finger off. The only reason for that is so he could make the "We'll never get married" joke. The missing finger stays for the rest of the game, however little there may be.

Now the multiplayer is a 5 or 6/10 experience.. The Bison rifle remains supreme, doing instant kills wherever they hit, and possessing solid range, making it level-based victory. However, many do not use the weapon surprisingly, making most matches contain mediocre enjoyment. The best part of the whole match is the ending, allowing one team to beat up, murder, injure, or explode the losing side's best member, or be nice and show mercy(Hell no!). My favorite punishment is to do the knife game, and finish by slamming it into their hand. However, this does not make up for the pretty standard gamemodes, unbalanced weapons, and overall disatisfaction I had.

Co-op is above average.It's like Left 4 Dead, except you're killing pirates and privateers and fighting on the island. The random competitions are nice, and I almost always win (except on the sniper one) but still, the open world gameplay is gone, the vehicles, as in the multiplayer, are gone, excluding one competition. I do like that the weapons from co-op and multiplayer are linked, so you get get your weapons in co-op and swing over to multiplayer to kill some people.

Overall, a 8 is my score. 7s, and 9s are understandable in my opinion.
  63. Apr 19, 2013
    This game isn't to be missed, its unlike every other game you have ever played, it combines, story with action, exploration and hunting. The hunting really sets this game apart from other games and adds a new depth. What this has over Far Cry 2 besides the hunting, is a great AI system where you know if people have seen you and you have a bit of time to hide, stay still etc. The vehicles,This game isn't to be missed, its unlike every other game you have ever played, it combines, story with action, exploration and hunting. The hunting really sets this game apart from other games and adds a new depth. What this has over Far Cry 2 besides the hunting, is a great AI system where you know if people have seen you and you have a bit of time to hide, stay still etc. The vehicles, weapons and open world are fantastic, great use of height just like in Just Cause 2.

My only gripes are my favorite character which I wont spoil dies way to early and the game. The game isn't that hard, there should be a hard mode where you can't see shadows behind buildings, this would make it more real life. Additionally the lack of any helicopters or planes to fly around the expansive island can get annoying. A helicopter would have added an extra element.

Overall this is a game not to be missed, one of the top 3 open world games ever made up there with GTA IV & Just Cause 2.
  64. Apr 29, 2013
    Essentially Far Cry 3 is a very good game.. but it is not amazing... It starts very strongly, the characters are colorful and interesting, at the beginning you have a lot to explore and many missions to do... But... you eventually realize how repetitive this game is... same missions, same locations same everything... In the end I spent an easy 40hrs doing side missions and finding statuesEssentially Far Cry 3 is a very good game.. but it is not amazing... It starts very strongly, the characters are colorful and interesting, at the beginning you have a lot to explore and many missions to do... But... you eventually realize how repetitive this game is... same missions, same locations same everything... In the end I spent an easy 40hrs doing side missions and finding statues but then I lost interest and stopped playing the game... there should be a total of 60-70hrs of gameplay if one tries to collect all the collectibles and do all/most of the side missions... This game simply doesn't maintain the same level of interest as skyrim does... However, Farcry3 is well worth the money, especially if you get it on a special (like I did... luv u Steam!!!) Expand
  65. Aug 27, 2013
    By the end of the game you will have a choice which will play one of two outcomes, and I have to say I was extremely surprised how the game ended because it left myself on a cliff hanger I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next? So will we see a Far Cry 4? Time will tell.
  66. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is incredible. Stands out as one of the games of the year, last year. Great graphics, great interface, easy to pick up and play. Great A.I that's smart and guns that actually do damage.
  67. Apr 26, 2013
    Good game, amazing graphics. You feel like you are there, hunting, hiding, killing...
    The script is crazy, but dont affects the game as a whole.

The problem is the campaign is so much repetitive and tiresome. I finished the game and never play again.
  68. Apr 28, 2013
    Great game. Had alot of fun playing it. The story was good. And the intro was a great way to get into the "jungle world". Best shooter i have played in a long time.

It only recieve 8 because of the crashes i had to endure, and the obvious consol port. (Please give us a PC friendly GUI for these types of games)
  69. Apr 29, 2013
    This game, was perfect. It runs great even on my laptop! The story line on the other hand... Truly beautiful, I promise I had to wipe some tears away during the end.. Vaas just completed it. Wouldn't say no to purchase a Dlc where you would play as Vaas through the story.
    But I write down a 9 because of the tricky radio Towers.. They got me to rage a couple of times.
  70. May 1, 2013
    Overall a genuinely good game with a few flaws.

The gameplay was the best aspect of the game to me. They truly made you feel like a scared little in the beginning. I played the game as a "stealthy" player for the most part. Creeping through the jungle listening for wild animal sounds and trying to desperately avoid confrontations in enemy territory was awesome. Enemy patrols respond
    Overall a genuinely good game with a few flaws.

I played the game as a "stealthy" player for the most part. Creeping through the jungle listening for wild animal sounds and trying to desperately avoid confrontations in enemy territory was awesome. Enemy patrols respond to loud noises and gunfire so you had to be on top of things. In addition to that a lot of the jungle creatures were fairly strong.. especially depending on what weapons you brought with you.

By the end you were jumping off cliffs, sprinting through the jungle, had all silenced weapons, and you were doing brutal takedowns like a true psychopath.

I think the crafting system was a nice touch for the first play-through but after that it just became tiring and old.

I do wish there were more skills to choose from in the different trees so that you had to "specialize" in one area over another. Another thing that became annoying was having my skill unlocks tied to the main storyline instead of the amount of experience I had.

The graphics are pretty nice although I've noticed some glitches and random freezes/CTDs that can be very annoying.

The story was fairly mediocre- they did a great job crafting some of the characters and the atmosphere of the island (Vaas, Dennis, Hoyt, Citra and the whole "mystical/voodoo" feel) but then they did a terrible job with tying the ends together.

The boss fights are all laughably horrendous as well.

Overall a good game.
  71. May 2, 2013
    Spent 60 on this due to all the glowing reviews about it. Skyrim with guns? Not even close. Pros for this game is the great story line, other than that it's almost borderline boring. Good guys wear blue, bad guys wear red, what they all shop at the same store for a team discount? animals are contained in specific areas, everyone says the same stuff over and over and the other npc's areSpent 60 on this due to all the glowing reviews about it. Skyrim with guns? Not even close. Pros for this game is the great story line, other than that it's almost borderline boring. Good guys wear blue, bad guys wear red, what they all shop at the same store for a team discount? animals are contained in specific areas, everyone says the same stuff over and over and the other npc's are usually mutes and can't speak at all. This game could have been a lot more, but it should never be compared to Skyrim as it's 1/10th of the same game. Expand
  72. May 11, 2013
    I love this game! Far Cry 3 is a really good game with a huge open world to explore. The game also have a great storyline with great graphics. There's a lot of weapons to choose from and the combat system feels fairly difficult and is very enjoyable. Far Cry 3 is really worth its money and the only bad thing I find about it is that after completing the game and taking over all the outpostsI love this game! Far Cry 3 is a really good game with a huge open world to explore. The game also have a great storyline with great graphics. There's a lot of weapons to choose from and the combat system feels fairly difficult and is very enjoyable. Far Cry 3 is really worth its money and the only bad thing I find about it is that after completing the game and taking over all the outposts the game feels a little.. empty. Expand
  73. Sep 4, 2013
    A great game and my personal favourite. It did everything that far cry 2 didnt. It is not skyrim with gun it is wayyyyy better. And every mechanick in the game was really good
  74. Sep 10, 2013
    First, I want to start with what I like. I like the variety of weapons, I like the island, and the various things you can go around and do to get money, XP, and materials for crafting. Sure, it might feel repetitive, but I'm one of those players that has no problem grinding if I feel like I'll get good rewards, in this case better equipment and skills. What's more is that you have theFirst, I want to start with what I like. I like the variety of weapons, I like the island, and the various things you can go around and do to get money, XP, and materials for crafting. Sure, it might feel repetitive, but I'm one of those players that has no problem grinding if I feel like I'll get good rewards, in this case better equipment and skills. What's more is that you have the opportunity to do this early game and level yourself before having to progress through the story, making parts of the game much easier on yourself.

My big gripe with this game has to do with overall sluggishness of the combat system and the unintuitive controls for a lot of different things. A great example would be animals who are predators. Yes, you can dispatch them relatively easily with a machine gun or something similar, but by doing that you risk alerting everything within 100 effing miles. While you get silent weapons as you progress, they're simply not meant for handling a pack of wild dogs, for instance, and your melee is so terrible that it's a huge pain to actually deal with this garbage. There's no reason you should have to work so hard for such a simple enemy. Hell, the guys who are supposed to be "hard" are easier to deal with.

I'm also not a fan at all of having to "hold" a button to activate something. Why is it I have to hold E to loot something as opposed to tapping it like every other game? Not a clue. It makes a tad more sense when targeting enemies/creatures, but when you get noticed, why is it that the game can't just automatically target those for you? But, what really confuses me is how you can get hit out of other activities, like skinning an animal. If you start, you have no choice but to finish the action, no matter how many bullets they feel like putting in you. At least give me SOME sort of defensive action for these scenarios.

And I can't tell you how much I hate driving in this game. I avoided vehicles for most of the game because of how terrible they handle. Basically, if I could run somewhere, I would do it even if it took me an hour. Thankfully, the fast travel system is really good in this game, so doing that wasn't too bad. (Dead Island has the same issue, too.) Why they couldn't make that 3rd-person is beyond me.

I also LOVE doing takedowns... but I HATE how skittish the takedown system is. The system will often deny you a takedown with really no rhyme or reason. What's worse is that if you mess it up you're likely to eat a gun-butt to the face and then get pelted with bullets. Really, though, this "skittishness" is everywhere.

Lastly, I hate the main character. It might sound stupid to some, but the guy you play looks like a preppy douche. I noticed some reviews saying how it really made no sense how this skinny, whiny dude can suddenly progress into a Rambo-esque monster... and I completely agree. It just pains me that I have to play this crappy character. It almost made dying so many times easier. (Almost.)

Ultimately, I gave this a 5 only because I did get my money's worth. I happened to get the game on sale AFTER they lowered the full-price to $40 and I actually used credits for most of the purchase, so it wasn't too bad of a deal. I would've been pissed had I spent $60 on this game, and I would honestly recommend getting Blood Dragon over this game. Your character is way more awesome, which tends to make the system flaws far less noticeable, and the story is AMAZING. Go play that. Don't get this. (Or, at least, not for full price.)
  75. Sep 11, 2013
    The open world is a good thing, but the gameplay isn't working very well. Jumping, climbing and going over obstacles is quite frustrating because the character has problems with two inch high stairs and to low corridors. This becomes very annoying when you go to a mission where you have a time limit and have to run through buildings and when you cannot complete the mission (mostly becauseThe open world is a good thing, but the gameplay isn't working very well. Jumping, climbing and going over obstacles is quite frustrating because the character has problems with two inch high stairs and to low corridors. This becomes very annoying when you go to a mission where you have a time limit and have to run through buildings and when you cannot complete the mission (mostly because of the problems with the character getting stuck to stairs and such things) the game reloads back to the start of the mission with time limit and there is no way to abandon the mission. Expand
  76. Dec 1, 2013
    UPLAY ruined this game..... If not for this stupid draconian DRM scheme the game might be worth playing, but as it stands I count it as money wasted.
    Watch out for more garbage to come from Ubisoft. I heard they were changing back from this garbage..... I was wrong.... Guess I need to take them off my buy list entirely....
  77. Sep 20, 2013
    I started out hopeful that the game would be as good as Far Cry 2 and was very quickly disappointed. I thought I set all video to the highest possible settings and the movement was so fluid as to be unplayable. I kept overshooting the mark on the opening chase and everything looks like flat decals with weird black halos that I guess are cheap imitations of shadows. I later found anI started out hopeful that the game would be as good as Far Cry 2 and was very quickly disappointed. I thought I set all video to the highest possible settings and the movement was so fluid as to be unplayable. I kept overshooting the mark on the opening chase and everything looks like flat decals with weird black halos that I guess are cheap imitations of shadows. I later found an additional video settings menu that allowed me to set everything to ultra and then set the sensitivity settings to zero, that slowed movement enough to make the game playable. The user interface is has a very steep learning curve, why are they trying to re-invent the wheel? I have to log into steam to start the game which only starts uplay, then I have to wait for it to update, then log into uplay and finally i can start the game which takes kinda long to load screens. After 47 minutes of play time I am not enjoying myself. Ubisoft you lost me, at least I waited until it was on sale, but I still wish I had not spent the money. I will be extremely wary buying games from now on. Expand
  78. Oct 20, 2013
    While this game is not perfect it is definitely a great game and ticks enough boxes to earn 9/10. My only big complaints are the QTEs that are a form of game-design-pollution that must disappear. The island is a masterpiece of landscape/level design. The shooting mechanics are excellent. Skill trees and challenges do the job. The story is GREAT, and the NPCs are well written and wellWhile this game is not perfect it is definitely a great game and ticks enough boxes to earn 9/10. My only big complaints are the QTEs that are a form of game-design-pollution that must disappear. The island is a masterpiece of landscape/level design. The shooting mechanics are excellent. Skill trees and challenges do the job. The story is GREAT, and the NPCs are well written and well acted. The game is good for 2 play-throughs. Multiplayer is pretty good as well. As for the Ubisoft layer of DRM, its a big negative and a total waste of time.

Orctowngrot
  79. Oct 6, 2013
    This game has been done before, better and with a much more polished feel to it. It's called Just Cause 2. Except that game ran a lot better, with half of the system requriements and yet with a great graphics. Again, I don't know what has driven game reviewers to give 90+ scores, since the game gets very old and very fast, doing the same thing over and over again. And the killing ofThis game has been done before, better and with a much more polished feel to it. It's called Just Cause 2. Except that game ran a lot better, with half of the system requriements and yet with a great graphics. Again, I don't know what has driven game reviewers to give 90+ scores, since the game gets very old and very fast, doing the same thing over and over again. And the killing of animals and making various tools out of them to hold more ammo or more health packs is just ridiculous. Technically, it's an unoptimized mess if you ask me. glitches, ugly textures and weak AI. This game was already done years ago, better and cheaper. Expand
  80. Oct 25, 2013
    I think this game is one of the best games ever,because this game is really. I like this game ,because here is very nice missions and quality. This game can be the best game of 2012 years.
  81. Oct 4, 2014
    Requires Uplay. No more need be said, but:

Requires Uplay. No more need be said, but:

I cannot access the game because I do not maintain a Uplay account. I do not maintain a Uplay account because I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of bloating my hard drive with a new DRM/rootkit/spyware application for every developer and publisher attached to every game I own -- nor do I want to burn my resources opening a game inside of a DRM environment inside of a DRM environment inside of...

I maintain a Steam account. Steam verified my purchase. Ubisoft has my money; I have no game. Because I refuse to pay for the "privilege" of helping Ubisoft to use Steam as a platform to bolster their direct competition with Steam.
  82. Mar 24, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is a game that is lovingly crafted and rich in detail. It is one of the few sequels that fixes the problems of its predecessor without adding [m]any new ones. Gone are the dreaded Malaria, gun jamming and check point respawn mechanics. I initially held off on Far Cry 3 upon its release and grabbed it as a bargain buy on Steam. However, I would happily pre-order the next titleFar Cry 3 is a game that is lovingly crafted and rich in detail. It is one of the few sequels that fixes the problems of its predecessor without adding [m]any new ones. Gone are the dreaded Malaria, gun jamming and check point respawn mechanics. I initially held off on Far Cry 3 upon its release and grabbed it as a bargain buy on Steam. However, I would happily pre-order the next title going by the quality of this one.
    Playing Far Cry 3 on a high end system is like taking a passport into a dangerous, virtual realm. It is captivating and will have you coming back for more.
    I cannot wait to see what Ubisoft come up with after this.
    I have given Far Cry 3 the perfect 10 as I feel that it merits the score based on the sheer amount of content and attention to detail (and being a relatively bug free experience).
    Ubisoft, I salute you.
  83. Nov 15, 2014
    Its a fair game, with many positive regards to nature and beautiful world to explore. I just wish the intro was less stupid and less american-like. The multiplayer is questionable, but that's understandable in this kind of game.
  84. Nov 8, 2014
    Great game. On the con side: some issues with scripted missions i.e. player agency taken away which comes as a bit of a surprise when your used to the freedom the game gives you in all other areas. Pros: Michael Mando's performance, voice acting and sound work, game progression, involving story and characters that are not one dimensional, a metric f*ck ton of content including half tidyGreat game. On the con side: some issues with scripted missions i.e. player agency taken away which comes as a bit of a surprise when your used to the freedom the game gives you in all other areas. Pros: Michael Mando's performance, voice acting and sound work, game progression, involving story and characters that are not one dimensional, a metric f*ck ton of content including half tidy co-op/multiplayer and the ending wasn't bad either! Great value for money game. As an aside with Ubi's shenanigans with uplay/steam and the resolution debacle of AC unity I wont buy Far Cry 4 unless or until they straighten out their priorities - Far Cry 3 was so good and so full of value I thought they actually gave a rats ass about PC gaming as well as consoles. Expand
  85. Oct 13, 2014
    They basically took all the gameplay elements of an Assassin's Creed game and adapted them for Far Cry. Towers in Assassin's Creed become camps in Far Cry. Viewpoints become radio towers. Swan diving into a hay stack becomes ziplining. And it works. It's simple and keeps you coming back.

The shooting mechanics and animations are fantastic. The crafting, the tattoo system, the weapon upgrading, it all works wonderfully. And there is plenty of content. And co-op which I haven't yet tried.

The story is very good despite not making sense most of the time. The voice acting is excellent for the most part, however the islanders all have the same **** voice and look identical. Story takes about 20-30 hours depending on how fast you go. The soundtrack (composed by Brian Tyler) is amazing.

Unfortunately there's Uplay, and parts of the game don't look that great thanks to the last-gen potatoes. Strangely, I had trouble maintaining 60 fps at higher than Medium settings, but MSAA and High textures weren't a problem. Noticed some occasional stuttering for whatever reason, but nothing too bad. Vsync was a little finicky.

I do wish there was a little more to Far Cry 3. The gameplay design felt very conservative and tried-and-true. I would like to see some new things in Far Cry 4.
  86. Mar 17, 2014
    Generally a really well done, fun game but it cannot match the supreme experience of Far Cry 2 - though that in itself is no shame. The combat works well, the new takedown mechanisms add to the stealth options but in the end the AI is too blind for stealth to truly work and reach the same heights as in Far Cry 2. Stealth is most fun in the beginning before you realize just how close andGenerally a really well done, fun game but it cannot match the supreme experience of Far Cry 2 - though that in itself is no shame. The combat works well, the new takedown mechanisms add to the stealth options but in the end the AI is too blind for stealth to truly work and reach the same heights as in Far Cry 2. Stealth is most fun in the beginning before you realize just how close and visible you need to get to get caught. Once you realize that, you tend to stop trying.

I recommend Ziggy's mod for an improved challenge and gameplay experience but the vanilla is also an enjoyable ride if you like it easy.

The game starts off at its strongest point and then slowly slides. The first island is great fun and both exploring and fighting is just addicting. However, as you get all your skills, weapons and move on to the second island, it starts to slide slightly and by the end it's all routine. The story also falls short, unfortunately, and by the end it straight up stumbles. The ending, whichever you choose, is awful.

That said, the awesome graphics and fun game mechanics make this a great game overall and it should be played by any FPS fan. The best shooter made since its prequel.
  87. Jan 1, 2013
    I'm not gonna lie. Far Cry 3 was probably the most fun I've had with any releases of this year so far. But that's mainly because there wasn't that much else that quite reached it's level in terms of both content and execution. But does that really make it a good game?
    Well....yes. It is good, however people now a days seem to make out everything that is above mediocre to be the greatest thing ever, which it really isn't.

I'd say one of it's biggest problems is that it's just all in all not really challenging. I played the game on the hardest difficulty level and even then the enemies aren't much of a thread, especially once you upgrade your health. The healing mechanic is also just broken. You can heal yourself whenever you want and how many times you want, even during combat.. Not to mention that there's also healing syringes that heal you even faster.

The game's also rather grindy. I like the fact that you have to hunt animals to craft new pouches etc, but it would have been more enjoyable if you'd start hunting naturally and not having to go to specific places to find a specific animal in order to craft or upgrade something.
    Far Cry 3 also suffers from what I like to call "Overkill syndrome". Meaning that the beginning is actually the most challenging part of the game, but as you unlock more things, the game becomes progressively easier. So it's exactly the opposite of how a game should progress.

The world it self is pretty empty. The only main attractions are liberating outposts and some side quests that rarely differ. (Kill that guy with a knife, hunt down that animal with a bow).
    Honestly, liberating the outposts is pretty much the best part of the game because it's just simply the most sandbox-y.

I was also rather disappointed by the story. It's so well acted! Vaas (the guy on the cover) is such a great character...but he only gets like 5 minutes of screenplay...and he's only there for like half of the game.
    I think the main problem here is that the characters are just so weakly established. I really didn't care for most of them, even though they had such great performances.
    The ending's also pretty weak. It just pulls a "Choose your ending cutscene" kind of ending.

The multiplayer and CO-OP aren't really noteworthy either. CO-OP is just tagged on mission based **** No exploration, just stand inside of a base and kill incoming enemies.
    As for the competitive Multiplayer, I certainly had more fun with that than co-op, but I don't see it lasting for very long. Though I really liked how they took familiar game modes and put some new mechanics into them. They even added in a new game mode called firestorm which is certainly worth checking out.
    However it suffers from what most multiplayer components suffer from now a days. Having to level up and unlock new gear is tedious and really senseless in a game like this. You can't level up in custom and private matches. And the biggest killer: Match-making only. Why? Because it never **** works. I rarely get into a game that doesn't have at least 2 host immigrations.
    The map editor is certainly a lot of fun to mess around with. However nobody really plays on custom maps because as stated: No leveling in custom matches.

All in all if someone asked me if they should buy the game at full price...sure, go ahead. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had. It's just not as perfect as most people make it out to be.
    if you're only interested in single player anyway, I'd say wait for the price to drop.
  88. Jan 8, 2013
    I have very mixed feelings about this game. Yes its a great shooter with excellent mechanics, interesting scenarios, a very rich and well developed world, there's really no game engine or mechanics related complaints from me. I think that the story, while easy to criticize, was fairly non intrusive and provided some guidance to the progression of the game; this is not an rpg, don'tI have very mixed feelings about this game. Yes its a great shooter with excellent mechanics, interesting scenarios, a very rich and well developed world, there's really no game engine or mechanics related complaints from me. I think that the story, while easy to criticize, was fairly non intrusive and provided some guidance to the progression of the game; this is not an rpg, don't expect an rpg. However at the end of this game, I felt absolutely nothing but disappointed. For a game world of this magnitude, you end up going through only a tiny fraction of it and very seldom in any sort of truly engaging way. There are very few moments of immersion or tension, very few moments of excitement; don't get me wrong, when the sh*t hits the fan in this game it becomes very entertaining and surprising, but the problem is that this just doesn't happen often enough. 80% of the game is spent doing little rpg-element activities or simply travelling... the real guilty parties here are not any of the programmers but rather the directors and designers who just didn't make even remotely adequate use of what their development team handed to them. To give you an example; as part of the huge map, there are WWII era bunker installations all over the place, moldy and ruined and full of atmosphere; and the best way that the designers could come up with to make use of these is to put "letters" in them and tell the player to look for the letters and read them... seriously. That's just a tragic loss of potential and its one of many. Expand
  89. Jan 25, 2013
    1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems it is the way to make game longer. 2nd part focuses only of shooting - nothing more. The idea of exploration on the 2nd island was dig.
    So the first island I judge for 9, but the 2nd island for 5 only.
  90. Jan 6, 2013
    If you have to view Far Cry 3 critically, it's biggest fault is the main character and the fact that the story just isn't very good. It's a decent game though, but things never seem to come together. Not to mention, FC3 has some of the worst boss battles in games to date.

My verdict: A flawed and highly overrated shooter, with moments of sheer brilliance. This is the pinnacle of average gaming
  91. Mar 24, 2013
    Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do.Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do. After that is done you usually mark a position of enemy camp as target, go there, few shots with your rifle to take out some pirates. Done. Also thanks to the incedibly broken ai again no challenge even on highest difficulty. What you are left with is a fully revealed, boring region with no enemies left, nothin much to do and like 100 crates scattered around the region waiting for you to get picked up to fill your pockets. Yes and that it is pretty much it. Graphics are decent, game is pretty much free of bugs and working fine, Vaas is fun. So i can not really call it horrible. Got it for 30 Euro in Steam sale, thats O.K.. Expected it to be overated and not worth a 87% metascore before buying it, so i did not get too disappointed. Expand
  92. Jul 17, 2014
    Great environment, reasonable combat. Crashes during save a lot. Strives for immersion but then proceeds to force QTEs down your throat such that you lose that immersion. On several occasions (not just once) you mow down an army of people and then a cutscene has you KOed by a simple hit and then you have to escape (again and again). Final mission is one big QTE that doesn't require anyGreat environment, reasonable combat. Crashes during save a lot. Strives for immersion but then proceeds to force QTEs down your throat such that you lose that immersion. On several occasions (not just once) you mow down an army of people and then a cutscene has you KOed by a simple hit and then you have to escape (again and again). Final mission is one big QTE that doesn't require any skill that you've been honing the entire game. The story is good until the middle when supernatural stuff (which breaks immersion again) gets stupid. Ultimately a good game if you ignore the story and the numerous immersion destroying moments. Expand
  93. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. It really sucks you in. The outposts, the hunt challenges, missions,... plenty to do. Many people complain about the poor story but I liked it.
    So why only 7? Well, because the game had a lot of technical issues on my pc. I'm not going to post all my specs, but let me say I run Battlefield 3 with all the bells and whistles on an average fps of 80. In far cry I had to turn of all the options (like anti aliasing,...) Still got fps drops, graphical glitches and so one. From time to time it was really game braking. The game feels like a sloppy console port. No support from Ubisoft nor Nvidia. To bad, this game could have been perfect.
  94. May 31, 2014
    Best open-world shooter on the market.
    Detailed and beautiful jungle enviroment.
    One of the best looking games made. Great gunplay and many tools to play with pirates. A little naive yet very engaging story that surprisingly has a good ending. You feel like an ultimate jungle badass No crappy DLCs is a welcome change on the market Good and fun progression with animal hunting Good
    Best open-world shooter on the market.
    Detailed and beautiful jungle enviroment.
    One of the best looking games made.
    Great gunplay and many tools to play with pirates.
    A little naive yet very engaging story that surprisingly has a good ending.
    You feel like an ultimate jungle badass
    No crappy DLCs is a welcome change on the market
    Good and fun progression with animal hunting
    Good gunplay
    Very immersive
    Much wow, so shooter, very must buy. One of the best games of recent years for me.
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    Very bland but fun for a while... Cons...
    Very bland but fun for a while... Cons...
    While the game is fun it adds nothing new. It looks 3/4 years old and just shows how the current gen of consoles are holding back gaming. The voice acting is total ass, you're on an island near China but the locals have South African accents while the bad guys have mid Africans accents. You play as an American teen/20s showing the island how badass you are.
    The crafting is dull in that you just need easy to gain animal skins or plants, half the **** you can craft you don't actually need, for example, health stims... You can heal for free by pulling out bullets in your arm or wraping a bandage. Stims?... The game is easy enough that you don't even need them.
    Hunting is boring... The only animals that hold any sort of challange are bears and tigers and that is because head shots don't instant kill so you can just lob a grenade at them, failing that just run at them with a shotgun.
    The story is rather meh. As I said, you play a badass American kid trying to save his buddies. Yawn.

Pros...
    It's open world.
  96. Jun 15, 2013
    Good characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was JasonGood characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was Jason protecting another character with waves of pirates attacking you for some unspecified period of time. The other variant was for you to be charging through enemy lines waiting to come up against a wall of enemy fire you couldn’t tank and then we’re back to the same old cover based combat. During a story mission they attempted a stealth mission but it was just Jason following the path laid out for him by the developers. I didn’t finish this game, the gameplay just sucked too hard during the story missions. 7/10 for the fun had with the outposts, characters and the story itself not the gameplay during the story. Expand
  97. Aug 11, 2014
    What's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generally It's an acceptable childish game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A serious mysterious story with a sublime goal would have been much better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, soWhat's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generally It's an acceptable childish game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A serious mysterious story with a sublime goal would have been much better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, so are all of those explosions everywhere and action generally. The graphics are bad compared with the previous version which is very rich in graphics. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but I'm not playing it again. I think I'll play Far Cry 2 because I's balanced and complete in all aspects. Expand
  98. Jan 14, 2013
    Most over rated game of 2012. The story is by far the best part of this game no doubt. Vas is what makes this game I mean the dude is on the cover. Lets face it though once you finish him off there is nothing left to do. You grind through a story that has become less interesting although not yet bad. And once you take the forts on the island there is nothing left to do. The game gives aMost over rated game of 2012. The story is by far the best part of this game no doubt. Vas is what makes this game I mean the dude is on the cover. Lets face it though once you finish him off there is nothing left to do. You grind through a story that has become less interesting although not yet bad. And once you take the forts on the island there is nothing left to do. The game gives a good 20 hours tops of gameplay and the multiplayer is well done. However the game itself is empty and the plot is filled with holes and cliche copy paste story lines from movies. Expand
  99. Mar 30, 2013
    I didn't begin playing FC3 until mid-March. But overall I think it's a good game. I think Ubisoft Montreal clearly had considerations in mind how to make improvements over Far Cry 2 with this one. For example, instead of merely scouting enemy outposts and wiping them out repeatedly after respawns, you can liberate them for good and back into the hands of the local islanders known as theI didn't begin playing FC3 until mid-March. But overall I think it's a good game. I think Ubisoft Montreal clearly had considerations in mind how to make improvements over Far Cry 2 with this one. For example, instead of merely scouting enemy outposts and wiping them out repeatedly after respawns, you can liberate them for good and back into the hands of the local islanders known as the Rakyat (similar to the real-life Maori). Also, your guns no longer jam, and most of them have upgrades that boost their damage, ammo capacity, range, fire rate, noise reduction, and optics, whereas the only upgrades available in the predecessor were for accuracy and reliability (jam resistance). Many hunting and knife-assassination missions become available as you liberate outposts, and get cash rewards for each. Also, you can unlock Signature (Unique) Weapons in shops as you collect Lost WWII Letters, Relics, and Memory Cards throughout Rook Island. The main complaints I had about the game were that stealth was mandatory in some of the story missions. I hate failing missions because I got detected. Also, some of the hunting quests require overpowered or underpowered weapons to hunt certain animals. For instance, sometimes you have to kill a pack of Rabid Dogs with an RPG or Flamethrower, but also Bears and Tigers with a pea-sprayer Skorpion. As far as the narrative goes, there are several surreal hallucinogenic moments, as well as intense confrontations with arch nemeses like Vaas. Some moments get quite emotional, and you're forced to make decisions in a split second. Anyway, I hope I didn't reveal too many spoilers here. My over verdict is that if you enjoyed Far Cry 2 but felt it lacking in some areas, you will enjoy Far Cry 3 more. Expand
  100. Dec 26, 2012
    Well I enjoyed the game at some points but it was extreme buggy, even on my Gtx 2gb Nvidia card which should be above average, and my 8gb ram. I had constantly some bugs on the visual effects like smoke and explosions. The boss battles just sucked, there is no clear thing that you kill a guy or a horde of his guys and then kill him, all boss fights happen like in a vision where you seeWell I enjoyed the game at some points but it was extreme buggy, even on my Gtx 2gb Nvidia card which should be above average, and my 8gb ram. I had constantly some bugs on the visual effects like smoke and explosions. The boss battles just sucked, there is no clear thing that you kill a guy or a horde of his guys and then kill him, all boss fights happen like in a vision where you see daemons and crap. Well was nothing special. The graphics sucked compared to Crysis of course. Expand
  101. Mar 6, 2013

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013