8.2

1. Dec 4, 2012
    (Note: I'm in Europe, I've had this game since Nov 29th) I think this is the first game this year to not disappoint me. I was a semi-fan of Far Cry 2 - it was almost a good game, but some unfortunately game-breaking bugs, such as the quickly respawning enemies and broken stealth elements, kept it from reaching its potential and could unfortunately not be modded away. I had high hopes that(Note: I'm in Europe, I've had this game since Nov 29th) I think this is the first game this year to not disappoint me. I was a semi-fan of Far Cry 2 - it was almost a good game, but some unfortunately game-breaking bugs, such as the quickly respawning enemies and broken stealth elements, kept it from reaching its potential and could unfortunately not be modded away. I had high hopes that Far Cry 3 would fix these mistakes while keeping the open gameplay and solid shooter mechanics. It has. Far Cry 3 starts you off as a regular Joe who's never killed anyone before, and forces him to become a killing machine in order to save his friends and two brothers. This story is nice enough, but doesn't explain how Jason - that's you - becomes the world's foremost assassin in a couple of days, so Ubisoft apparently felt the need to add some voodoo magic to explain this. I'm not too sure about this design decisions, which also leads to some, in my opinion, bad story elements, but I suppose it works well enough to keep you interested. The gameplay is absolutely great, letting you freely choose stealth or gung-ho gunning in almost every situation, and particularly the stealth gameplay is some of the best I've seen yet, and it's my favourite genre. Like in Far Cry 2 you are encouraged to scout enemy positions before attacking, and your (admittedly unrealistic and unexplained) zoom-lens camera can tag enemies for you, letting you know their positions in realtime when you move in. If you go the stealth-route you can then choose to dispatch your enemies either with your machete, which will give an XP bonus (yes, the game has RPG elements that also work great), or with any number of silenced weapons, not least of which a bow. If you go with the machete, a skill upgrade will also allow you to drag away the bodies, so your enemies won't find them and raise the alarm. If you clear an enemy outpost silently, you get triple the XP on top of the satisfaction.

Graphics are of course as excellent as you'd expect from a Far Cry game, and the island is huge (but don't worry, you can fast travel) and looks absolutely stunning, with extreme view range even on the lowest settings. Though I have to say I miss the African savannah setting from FC2, which has now been replaced with a more commonly seen South-east Asian jungle island.

Unfortunately there are a few things I don't like so much, that prevent it from getting a perfect 10. One of the things, which may seem minor, is that the game constantly reminds you to go to your next main mission with a box on screen and a thumping sound. That's extremely annoying when on a side mission, as even after many hours of gameplay, I think I've been discovered or something when the sound plays. The story has clearly taken quite a few hints from COD, and incidentally they're the parts I like the least. The side missions are still very repetitive and don't feel natural. The hunting gameplay, which starts out very rewarding, becomes completely pointless fairly quickly, when you've upgraded what you want. Why not make pelts worth some decent money at least? I can get more from searching one enemy corpse than by selling a tiger skin. I'm also not too crazy about most of the skills being locked for the first half or so of the game. I think it should be limited by XP levels alone. There are also a few inconsistencies in the gameplay, such as enemies sometimes hearing you throw a knife and sometimes not, and the takedown button (one hit kill with machete) sometimes not working, making you just slash an enemy instead, which alerts the others. Really annoying when you're going for that undetected bonus. But none of this is enough to ruin my enjoyment of what really is a great game.
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    Just adding my two cents worth. I loved the original Far Cry. There were too many things that I didn't like about Far Cry 2 to keep me playing it. Those things have been fixed and / or changed enough so that I am really enjoying Far Cry 3. The biggest complaint I had about Far Cry 2 was the enemy outposts repopulating after you cleared the area. Ubisoft seems to have taken my (and manyJust adding my two cents worth. I loved the original Far Cry. There were too many things that I didn't like about Far Cry 2 to keep me playing it. Those things have been fixed and / or changed enough so that I am really enjoying Far Cry 3. The biggest complaint I had about Far Cry 2 was the enemy outposts repopulating after you cleared the area. Ubisoft seems to have taken my (and many others as well) criticism and turned it into an interesting feature in this game. Now when you clear an outpost, it get tagged as a 'safe zone'. Now you can fast travel to it, and resupply your ammo. I also like the fact that you not only have to be on the lookout for bad guys, but while avoiding contact by lurking in the brush, you may end up being attacked by some wild animal. Take the beast out with an arrow or your knife and you remain hidden. Pop a couple of round into the creature, and all of the bad guys now know where you are. There is so much to do besides the main story line. Exploration, hunting and crafting are a big portion of the game, and essential in order to upgrade skills and weapons. Some don't like the activating the towers to reveal more of the map. I like this part as well, though I am now trying to get all 18 towers activated in order to 'get it over with'. Climbing each individual tower is unique enough that you get a level of satisfaction once you flip the switch and see the animation detailing the portion of the map you've just revealed. The health system is similar to Far Cry 2, but now you don't have to deal with malaria all the time. (The other feature of that game I disliked) You can craft heath syringes, but with the appropriate skill, they aren't really required. I've set the graphical settings on ultra with my Phenom II X4 and 6950 with the latest AMD driver with the Far Cry 3 profile. The frame rate is playable enough so that I don't feel the need to lower it. However, I should state that I have vsync disabled. Again, I find Far Cry 3 to be a vast improvement over the previous game. Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    Best sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is aBest sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is a little short and it is not very original, but you can stay exploring the islands after you finished the game. You can earn skill points, which you can use to improve your characters abilities, which is a nice addition. Overall I enjoyed the game much more than any other FPS this year. Expand
  4. Dec 4, 2012
    I fail to understand the negative reviews!

What a game! I have been a gamer now for more than 30 years and there are few games these days which really grab me. Dishonoured was one of the best from 2012. Far Cry 3 very quickly became another. I thnk what sums up the brilliance of this game for me is to say that the best set pieces of the game so far, were not set pieces. They were
    I fail to understand the negative reviews!

I thnk what sums up the brilliance of this game for me is to say that the best set pieces of the game so far, were not set pieces. They were nothing more than "luck", or is that fate? Running from a group of bad guys in my lovely new shiny jeep only to come face to face with another enemy vehicle coming the other way. Careering off the bridge and baling at the last moment, only to find myself swimming towards an undiscovered underwater tunnel... what lies ahead I wonder?

Truly amazing.

Graphics and gameplay are top notch. Amazling level of freedom. I never once felt pushed down a singular route.

Yes there are some nigles, hence the 9. Occasional texture flickering. Occasional problems grabbing a ledge or activating a switch. Oh and occasionally forcing me to stay up in to the early hours when I should be sleeping!!

Truly amazing! Best shooter for an age....
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    This game was completely off my radar for 2012. [I actually never finished Far Cry 2... hated the lack of reason to explore and terrible storyline. And oh god how bad was malaria?] Well guess what... THIS IS GAME OF THE YEAR 2012 MATERIAL! Single player took approximately 30 hrs (55% completion based on stats). The storyline is intense, amazing, and had me in tears at points throughout theThis game was completely off my radar for 2012. [I actually never finished Far Cry 2... hated the lack of reason to explore and terrible storyline. And oh god how bad was malaria?] Well guess what... THIS IS GAME OF THE YEAR 2012 MATERIAL! Single player took approximately 30 hrs (55% completion based on stats). The storyline is intense, amazing, and had me in tears at points throughout the whole journey. They've basically either removed or improved everything in Far Cry 2 that I loathed, and kept everything that I loved. The HUD is absolutely terrible and uPlay is annoying, but after switching uPlay to offline mode I stopped having issues. Gameplay is nice. You start out with nothing, as a scared holiday goer... but you turn into an absolute killing machine with a bow, a knife, suppressed MP5 and flamethrower at your side the enemy doesn't know what beast is after them. Basically you can play this game as an out and out Rambo-fest, or be a bit more predator-type assassin/sneak mode. The sound effects are brilliant. Hunting prey, sneaking up on them... listening to their growls or moans... is thrilling. The music that pumps through my headphones while in the midst of explosions going off everywhere as I trigger my C4 explosives is tight and some brilliant choices. (Die Antwood - I Fink U Freeky, M.I.A., Skrillex etc.). Hmm.... if you liked a combination of Just Cause 2, Far Cry 1, and.... a little Batman Arkham City (Vaas / Joker) / Alice in Wonderland references (oh... some of the dialogue in this game is sooo well delivered!) then this game comes highly recommended. Other notable mechanics are the relics that you find scattered across the island Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    This is a GAME OF THE YEAR contender for sure. The first thing I noticed was that the voice acting is top notch. It really brings you into the experience and makes the story more compelling. Of course the graphics and game design are great. But we all expected that from a Far Cry game. Ubisoft has also learned alot from the public and what they asked for. No more DRM!!! On SteamThis is a GAME OF THE YEAR contender for sure. The first thing I noticed was that the voice acting is top notch. It really brings you into the experience and makes the story more compelling. Of course the graphics and game design are great. But we all expected that from a Far Cry game. Ubisoft has also learned alot from the public and what they asked for. No more DRM!!! On Steam the game starts at $50 instead of $60 for a hard copy on all platforms. The only downside I have heard of is having to launch via uplay.... which frankly isn't that bad. The worst part was trying to remember which email address my uplay account was linked to. So in this jam packed gaming season just before xmas I would say this is still a easy buy and well worth the time and money!!!! Expand
  7. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay..
    The combat system allows you to play the game your own way, whether it be like rambo or hitman, or a combination of both himbon! and many other play styles..
    The story could be strong, but its easily over looked when there is so much to do and explore.. This has quickly become one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, I would
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay..
    This has quickly become one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, I would rank it up there with the GTA Series, Elderscrolls, dark souls and halflife..

The co-op adds many more ours of fun and a social immersion into the tropical island paradise/hell..

Get this game you won't regret it, definitely worth the $70!
  8. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not getFar Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not get scrolled with mousewheel. Several times you cannot use enter to activate the "Use" or "Ok" or "Next" option. Several functions are inconsistent - in one interface, you click a button to scroll through inventory sort modes in the bottom of the screen, in other, you click left-right arrows near the top of the screen where current sort option is displayed. Overall, interface is just clunky and not optimised for PC. Controls are awful. You cannot have a hold-to-run or hold-to-crouch option. You cannot really change your mouse look precision (lowest setting is still too high for a shooter). You have to set up controls multiple times - one for your guy, one for your guy in the car, and there are numerous bugs involved (like, car part would let you assign a key that is already used for "map" or "heal" but it wont work because map or healing always takes precedence). If you ever happen to accidentatlly reassign left click to something else than shooting, you'll have to spend a LOT of time to get your shooting with left click back (just binding it back will stop your weapon from shooting, even though you can do everything else you usually do with left click in this game). Worst of all - glider and wingsuit controls are NOT reassignable. You will have to use WASD for that even if you changed your control scheme. Even worst - if you reassign your crouch key, you will NOT be able to use wingsuit at all because parachute won't open! And without it, landing on anything except water is instant death. After you get over the console portedness of the game, you will be greeted with other annoyances. First - game LOVES to take control from you and force you through long and tedious unskippable cutscenes, special interactive cutscene-like corridor levels, unskippable long phone calls that repeat every time you reload a game even if you save after hearing that call. A huge tutorial is unskippable, even if you chose "difficulty level for very experienced FPS players" - yeah sure, teach me how to crouch, run or avoid detection. Second - game isnt really always open worded. A lot of times you'll be "locked" into an area of a mission, being unable to leave (leave = you went out of combat zone mission failed forced reload). Third - game constantly makes you pause for actions like map, skill allocation, crafting... this is even more ridiculous than eating on pause in Skyrim. You can make leatherwares, craft medicine of insane properties (like 30 second invulnerability or quad damage) on PAUSED so you dont really need to stock up on any medicine - just bring the reagents with you. This really breaks immersion and constantly takes you out of the game. They could make it like in FC2 where you take out map to look at it, or you'd sit down to sew/craft syringes, look at your tatau to chose which skill to pick next, anything! But not this. However, when you get past all this, Far Cry 3 is a great experience. Its very fun, it feels like truly open world, you can do a lot of stuff, crafting and minigames and activities ARE involving and addictive, hunting treasure or animals is fun and overall, yes, this game is good. If you can manage the bads... Expand
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    It has been a very long time since I had so much fun with a game without having to play multiplayer (usually all the real content of most games nowadays lies in multiplayer).
    First off it's a splendid and gorgeous game, especially on PC. The amount of detail and polish is very impressive on such a large scale FPS. The best thing about it is that it is consistent - the game looks just as good everywhere, which is a very nice and unexpected thing in a game of this magnitutde. For example in other games of this caliber you will see low quality textures here and there, some glitches and inconsistencies (especially in the Assassin's Creed series) - but not here.
    Another good thing about this game is the amount of freedom you are given to approach said objective. Sure there are a couple of story missions that are kind of linear or restrictive, but other than that it's all up to you. Do you like to make a noisy entrance into the enemy base, without knowing where the enemies are, spray-and-praying Call of Duty style? Go ahead. Do you like to stalk your prey and make a plan and try to keep to it as you silently pick them off with your silenced sniper or trusty bow? You can do that. Or maybe baiting your enemies while you sneak into their base, plant a mine near every alarm and next time they see you BOOM! Or maybe let that leopard trapped in that cage do the job for you. Done! You have so many options it can be overwhelming at times. Most AAA RPGs that are released now and boast with their freedom of choice don't even come close to this game.
    Speaking of RPGs, this game also tries to borrow some elements: you have crafting (but more on this later) and 3 different skill-trees that as you unlock skills in them, tattoos appear on your forearm *or Tataus like they are called here*. But ultimately it isn't that well done as in traditional RPGs.
    Crafting in this game is essential and really makes you want to go hunt or gather ingredients for syringes that beside healing you can grant you some neat abilities (the ability to sense the animals around you or repel predators, etc)
    As for the animals, this is where the game does a VERY good job. There are two types of animals: carnivores and herbivores. Predators and prey. Wherever you go chances are you will see leopards chasing deer, tigers hunting buffalos, sharks eating tortoises, bears assaulting villagers etc. It feels very organic, natural and chaotic as well. These animals can make your life very hard - like surveying an enemy outpost only to find yourself attacked by a tiger, thus drawing enemy attention and realizing there are 4 times more enemy troops now. Or making a run for it and having to cross a river only to be assaulted by a crocodile and dragged underwater as soon you dive into the river. Splendid!
    Now for the story - it is quite interesting as you progress and see Jason slowly changing as a person, lowering himself to Vaas's level. Speaking of Vaas, he is a very good character and a lot of people have compared him to Heath Ledger's joker. You can clearly see the amount of effort Michael Mando (his voice actor) put into him.
    I loved the creepy quotes from Alice in Wonderland appearing between chapters, which to some can seem out of place - but trust me, they fit perfectly.
    Besides the main missions there are plenty of activities ranging from hunting special animals with a specific weapon to races and mini games - Machinima have compared Far Cry 3 to Skyrim and rightfully so.
    There is also a Coop mode and Multiplayer but the real star here is the Singleplayer mode which is both hard and rewarding.
    The one thing that got on my nerves was that your character is supposed to be a town-raised douchebag with no real experience handling weapons - but still he can use a sniper rifle with great accuracy as soon as he touches it. One thing they could have done to fix this would have been to bring back the gun damage from Far Cry 2 - at first guns would jam while you fire them, and as you kill more people you "learn" how to stop this from happening and progressively disappear.
    But they had to cater to the casual players who complained about this mechanic making Far Cry 2 too hard.
    In conclusion my recommendation would be to buy this game, ESPECIALLY if you like first person shooters. It has a solid multiplayer mode and high replay value singleplayer.
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    Disappointing. The pros:
    Great story telling, solid driving and moving mechanics, the tattoo system is fun.
    The cons: where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the
    Disappointing. The pros:

The cons:
    where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the enemy was looking dead at me and I had zero cover. Money is way too easy to get. Missions, loot boxes, corpses, selling loot items all give you tons of cash and radio towers unlock expensive weapons for free. I had the best weapons within 1-2 hours of play time. The button to pick up/swap weapons is the same as the loot button, resulting in a ton of time spent dancing around a corpse trying not to swap your FAMAS with his crappy AK just so you can loot a crumpled pack of cigarettes and 10 bucks. The voice acting for people is really inconsistent, half the islanders have a British accent. Hunting is AWFUL, animals have no kill zones, aka: no head shots or heart shots, meaning if you head shot a bear, or pretty much any other animal with a .308, he's just going to run you down and rip you to shreds. This means that the only way to hunt effectively is to bring along an LMG and riddle your prey with hundreds of bullets. Laughable. Not to mention, your character constantly whines "gross" every time you skin a kill. This makes sense the first 50 times or so he skins an animal, but after 30 hours of play time and hundreds of animals skinned, listening to your character whine about skinning gets very, very old. If you fail a mission, it will restart you in a predetermined location. This may not feel like a huge deal at first, but sometimes this method will drop you in an approach to a mission you absolutely would not have taken and probably didn't plan for. There were times I did something stupid and died, carrying a sniper rifle, bow and silenced pistol only to be respawned on the flat side of a map, where I had approached the mission initially from a cliff. The ability to sleep is gone, taking the dynamic of night and day away, which I feel was a real downgrade from far cry 2. This leads me into my next section on the experience. It's simply not as good. It's true that FC2 had its share of issues and frustrations, hyper-aware, laserbeam accurate enemies and checkpoints that respawned in what felt like seconds were huge gripes. But despite these problems, and perhaps because of them, the game had a really brutal, unforgiving feel. Every foray into the world was an event you planned for, you carefully managed your limited ammo supply, you waited for just the right time of day, you knew that your weapons could and would eventually fail you, you learned not to trust crappy, rusted weapons found laying around on the ground. Every mission was an exercise in planning and adaptability. You couldn't carry an LMG, a sniper rifle, an RPG and an assault rifle all at once like you can in FC3, so you had to play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses as best as possible. You had to be patient in stressful situations and fire fights because running around like Rambo was likely to get you killed. Virtually all of these things are GONE in FC3 and it's painfully obvious. Now, the game is just another exercise in sprinting endlessly (you can do that now) around a tropical island (again) and firing curtains of lead until your enemies are dead. And let's face it, we've all played that game before.
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA gamesThis game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA games these days), the multiplayer is very mediocre, and on the whole, there is practically no replay value. Most of the game's features that are somewhat interesting are soon revealed to be nothing more than gimmicks. Prior to playing the game, I was very excited for the hunting/crafting aspect of the game, and while it was admittedly quite fun hunting exotic animals to craft bigger and better equipment, crafting everything only takes about 2 hours. After which point, there's no need to hunt another animal ever again (unless you're a sadist), as the animal skins are practically worthless. Unsurprisingly, the various animals soon become nothing more than an annoyance. Moreover, any real difficulty that could've been associated with hunting is ruined by being able to tag animals with your camera, and track them anywhere (in real time). There are some boring Path of the Hunter side quests (go here and kill x number of a certain animal), but with the ease and rate at which experience points and money both come, there's no need to ever bother with any of them.

Capturing bases is also quite monotonous; due to dim-witted and illogical AI, capturing a base "undetected" is incredibly easy. You'd think if an enemy found a body with a 50 calibre bullet-hole through its head, they'd raise the alarm, right? Wrong. All that happens is they enter an "alerted" state, where they begin to scour the premises for the intruder (i.e. you). Even when they're in this state, you can still kill them (with even a grenade launcher, if you so please), and so long as no-one's stared at you for 5 consecutive seconds, it's counted as capturing the base "undetected". Oh, and as if it weren't easy enough already, you can track enemies with your camera too, in real time. Ridiculous.

These are just a few of Far Cry 3's ill-conceived design implementations. Others include: merchants deciding to give you free weapons after you climb up a radio tower (?), everything important flashing bright yellow (as if you were too stupid to determine a loot chest from a cardboard box), and being able to see the location of every "collectible" on the map (which really defeats the purpose; instead of trying to find ancient ruins and secret passages, you know exactly each of them are, and it just becomes dull travelling and fetching).

The story is incredibly cliched, and has terrible character development; a kid who has "never shot anyone before" can fire an gun at 100% accuracy with no recoil as soon as he picks it up. There are some Alice in Wonderland quotes thrown in that are supposed to mirror the story, but end up coming off as cringe-worthy. Regardless, I'm sure they'll impress idiots and pseudo-intellectuals alike. Even towards the end of the game, I didn't care about the Rakyat at all; I often killed them as soon as they drove into my newly-captured base just so I didn't have to listen to one of them tell me to check out the bulletin board for the 20th time. Graphically, the game is nothing really special. Serious LOD discrepancies, especially with distant objects, and flickering textures and shadows make the game look very sub-par. Some objects do not even have distant levels of detail, and just dissolve in from thin air when you're a certain distance away. Bloom lighting makes everything overbright, however, the sun-glare effect is very nice. Also, the visuals during hallucinogenic drug-induced scenes are very impressive.

After completing the main story and capturing every base, there's effectively no point in continuing to play, since no enemies remain on the island, which makes free roaming incredibly boring. There is also very little replay value, since it's incredibly easy to gain every skill, and the stealth approach is almost always preferable to going in guns blazing.

Conclusively, I'd only recommend getting this game to someone who has a lot of money to waste, and wants to be entertained for 10 hours or so before never playing it again. There are much better open-world shooters out there, such as the GOTY Edition of Fallout 3, and GTA IV, which cost about a quarter of the price and last more than four times as long.
  12. Dec 5, 2012
    Im having a hard time reading all the zeros and two's. Really? How can you dislike the game so bad? Some people say that the graphics are bad, i say **** you cause if you are running a 8800GT with an old ass Celeron no wonder (to you Ochetazinco). You say enemy AI sucks? Explain us exactly WHY. Did you hate the other Far Cry games? Why did you get this one? People should stop playing aIm having a hard time reading all the zeros and two's. Really? How can you dislike the game so bad? Some people say that the graphics are bad, i say **** you cause if you are running a 8800GT with an old ass Celeron no wonder (to you Ochetazinco). You say enemy AI sucks? Explain us exactly WHY. Did you hate the other Far Cry games? Why did you get this one? People should stop playing a game for 2 hours and then hating it, give it more time. Also, my guess is people down right hate Ubisoft, and therefor have to give this game a 0.

Now, i love this game and think its probably one of the best games this year. Sure, multiplayer is not very good but its here right? What can we do about it. The campaign is more than enough in my opinion.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay . It turns out to provide the ultimate first person experience . Amazing story so far and yeah .. i am impressed... Great Pc port and runs fine on my average system. All in all not a disappointing at all...
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    Game of the year, hands down. Only gave it a 9 because of the horrible, horrible abomination that we all call Uplay. I'm glad you can finally play the game in offline mode, but still, it's a dumb program in the way of your gaming experience. There's server issues galore and I have yet to be able to play a single co op game with my friends.
    Anyway, onto the good: everything else. I've
    Anyway, onto the good: everything else. I've already read some reviews calling this a 'console port'. Now, this is nothing new. Only this time it's actually false. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a PC game. There's a ton of graphical options, full DX11 support and *drumroll* an FOV slider. When's the last time you saw an FOV slider? Mouse smoothing also isn't a problem since you can simply switch it off.
    The gameplay itself is wonderful. If you like sandbox games, this is for you. You can go anywhere and explore and collect for days on end. I've had this game since the European release date and there's still so much more to see and do. Just walking, driving and flying (yes, flying, you get a wingsuit) around the island is a nice experience. The story is good. If you like an actual story, that is. I know some people just want to skip ahead and shoot things, but thank goodness there's still people who actually care. The characters are well written, interesting, and especially the mocap and voice acting is superb. Also remember those weird Scarecrow scenes from Arkham Asylum? The best part of that game? Well get ready for a whole bunch of stuff just like that. The game doesn't play it straight when it comes to the story missions. It'll always leave you guessing when it comes to your motivations (I think it nicked that idea from Spec Ops The Line, which is a good thing) and when it's not doing that the game simulates you tripping your balls off. There's also the not-so-subtle subtext of Alice in Wonderland, which adds a little mystisism to the story, which is a nice little touch. Tip: don't forget to eat the 'Eat me' pills in the friend-cave!
    Basically, this game is a more interesting Far Cry 2, only without that game's flaws. The world is more interesting and more fun to travel through, and this time you can actually fast travel without having to drive for fifteen minutes to find one of those bus stops. Enemies no longer respawn in camps you've just cleared, instead you conquer them for good. Don't worry, there's still random encounters and certain areas where you can always go looking for a fight if you feel like testing out your newly unlocked machine gun. Speaking of guns: the shooting mechanics are finally a lot better. In Far Cry 2 you just shot at someone, some blood would spurt out, and then they would eventually turn into a ragdoll. The bullets didn't have an impact. If you shot at someone who was running, he wouldn't even notice the bullets in his torso, he'd just drop dead once he hit his 'X shots in this area until I die' quota. Bullets in FC3 have an impact, and the death animations are alright. People also delightfully fly through the air when they're too close to an explosion.
    All in all, I love this game. You will too. If you can put yourself to deal with the annoying Uplay, you'll have dozens of hours of fun.
  15. gas
    Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 2 was a promising sandbox but it was boring after a little, not a bad game, but nothing exceptional.
    Far Cry 3 is... exactly the same, just bigger and more cod-generation oriented.
    Far Cry 3 is... exactly the same, just bigger and more cod-generation oriented.
    Devs decided that to improve the game the right path was adding long and unskippable cinematics and Tarantino's style npcs, basically following the trend of any recent fps, it seems they all want to make movies nowadays..
    It was not a bad idea itself, but the exectuion is poor, the story is brainless linear garbage, there is an island, some npcs helping you without any reason, bad guys got red t-shirts, good guys got blue t-shirts, you are a student with no military background who suddenly starts going around with rocket launchers and assault rifles doing rambo, killing dozens of "pirates", primary following a linear main quest arc, helping villagers following mostly terrible side quests, also its really bad imo the fact in this game you basically got unlimited ammo and weapons as there is a dealer every village and you can teleport there in any moment.
    The game mechanic is uber repetitive as side quests and activities, and also its really ruined by the fact this game is made to be played with a joypad.
    Beside the forgettable main quest plot, there are side quests which are all forgettable too, worse if possible then the main quest, usually excessive dramatic illogic situations, then every time the player conquer a camp there are more quests which are always the same 3, one hunting quest, one assassination quest, , and a driving quest (driving is terrible in this game btw), all three quests are very boring and after one day i started to skip them except the hunting which is needed for the in game crafting system so they are a must.
    This game is similar to Dead Island as kind of sandbox game, great presentation, tedious and repetitive gameplay with tons of issues and illogic and poor devs choices.
    The rpg side of the game is not interesting, the abilities you can unlock will be all unlocked going on so there is no sense of developing a specific trait and character.
    This game offers unlimited ammo and weapons as you can fast travel to any camp at any moment and refill with everything, there is no option to change this in game and imo it ruins a lot the basic idea of the plot where the player should be a desperate survivor moving into a dangerous territory.
    The game is also badly ruined by the fact its developed as a console game, it happens quite often but this game is terrible cause this aspect, so its not only the fact its developed with console menu style, but its really developed to be played with a joypad, to a point where playing with keyboard + mouse is a problem, keybinding is not enough customizable, especially the special abilities are impossible to keybind after the first 2, at least using the menu, didnt check if there is an ini to tweak but comon its 2012.
    The inventory and menu system is by far the worse ever seen in gaming hystor, selling and buying stuff is terrible, and overall the menu system is absurd.
    The mouse movement is not totally smooth, tryed with razer and logitech gaming mouses, basically it feels a bit unresponsive compared to any good fps, and it lags badly while in the menus.
    Another great problem is the checkpoint save system, who invented this terrible mechanic should be banned from gaming developing.
    If a console user may be used to this system due to old time console limitations, for a pc player this is something out of any logic, if it happens you need to shut down the pc for any reason in most occasions you will have to see again a long brainless cinematic and redo all the mission from the start, for me its a big issue.
    Graphically its sub-par surely cause the console limits actually are impressive compared to what can do a new pc, I guess Crysis one looks better then this, anyway its not my main concern.
    At the end i find mostly this game irritating me cause the console style menu/inventory and game mechanics developing, anyway even if all those issue would be solved the game is still boring itself and doesnt have the quality that professional reviewers are trying to sell us.
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    The game feels shallow. You earn money to fast, gain hides and plants to fast (for making bags, syringes etc.) and you have access to all weapons you want in nearly 2 hours. That's also how many hours it takes to have the feeling that you've been there and done that. The island, environment, characters etc. look good, forgiving the somewhat outdated graphics. Unfortunately every piece ofThe game feels shallow. You earn money to fast, gain hides and plants to fast (for making bags, syringes etc.) and you have access to all weapons you want in nearly 2 hours. That's also how many hours it takes to have the feeling that you've been there and done that. The island, environment, characters etc. look good, forgiving the somewhat outdated graphics. Unfortunately every piece of the island looks the same, as do all camps, cars, trees, bushes, caves, pirates etc. So why should you explore every corner of it? Gameplay is solid; weapons handle very tight, although a bit to tight, wich makes killing foes a piece of cake. Every weapon handles the same. Driving cars is weird, you get the feeling you glide over the road with a immense and unrealistic speed. Story is a bit ridiculous, but finely interwoven in the game with scènes that make you dizzy because the protagonist (your character) shakes his head left and right, up and down like a headbanger from the early '90s. It's a shame the game gets so boring after a while, but climbing towers, getting rid of pirates in camps, going from A to B to continue the story - which is necessarry to continue your leveling progress, which forces you to stop what you want to do and follow the linear storyline - is fun the first few times you do it. But I quit after three hours or so, bored by the forgettable side-quests, story and tropical world. And i think many will not see the end of the game as well or will continue, forced to see the end. A cliche ending which can be found on YouTube; the easy solution. A Expand
  17. Dec 4, 2012
    As much as I tried to like this game, the extremely dragged out crysis experience ultimately forced me to give up on it. Enemy AI is laughable, stealth is terribly broken with "the enemy must see your face and you must see theirs" logic, gathering materials feels like an MMORPG grind-quest, healing system is dumbed down and becomes laughable as to either spend skill points to have anAs much as I tried to like this game, the extremely dragged out crysis experience ultimately forced me to give up on it. Enemy AI is laughable, stealth is terribly broken with "the enemy must see your face and you must see theirs" logic, gathering materials feels like an MMORPG grind-quest, healing system is dumbed down and becomes laughable as to either spend skill points to have an infinite amount of first aid that fully heals you after some time or constantly run around in the woods, looking for green herbs so you can constantly inject yourself with syringes. If you jump on say, a hill that's going two degrees down-hill, you will stumble and damage yourself, AKA dislocating your thumb for 1 bar of damage. If you shoot a silenced sniper rifle 5000 yards away, enemies will still rush to the exact spot where the weapon was fired. If you get knocked down by an enemy to the ground, struggle with quick time events and get up with low hp left, you will instantly die as the enemy will spam melees, effectively spawn-camping you. Yes, animals as well. I could go on and on and on about the countless amount of flaws and smelly design choices in this game but at the end of the day, it is a polished turd that has been dumbed down version of Far Cry that tries to be a cinematic version of Crysis with graphics with little regard to the original series as it tries to force-feed you a story using a wooden spoon with splinters. Stay away from this title as a fan or get into it with small/no expectations. Expand
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    I was so wanting to like this game. Having invested a few thousand hours in FC1 I thought this might be it's spiritual successor. The island IS beautiful, the art work is great. My biggest criticism are the numerous pop ups telling you of the current quest and warnings. Also (and i find this a weird design decision) all interactive items in the world glow so you know what you can open orI was so wanting to like this game. Having invested a few thousand hours in FC1 I thought this might be it's spiritual successor. The island IS beautiful, the art work is great. My biggest criticism are the numerous pop ups telling you of the current quest and warnings. Also (and i find this a weird design decision) all interactive items in the world glow so you know what you can open or take but when you get close enough there is another pop-up telling you which button to press to get the item. The mini-map is too far away from the edge of the screen. There is an enemy detection ring bang in the middle of your field of view; at this point in time this cannot be turned off. Why enemies couldn't be displayed on the mini-map is beyond me. You do not "find" loot as it is marked on the mini-map. The sand-box experience is somewhat broken by having to complete a mission before being allowed to wander off exploring.
    In summary a great let down.
  19. Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 3's plot is so stupid, irritating, and even offensive, that it's difficult to enjoy the eye candy on display. Immature players only.
  20. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 should be considered yet another epic failure (remake) of the second instalment in the series, all I can say is that I would like my money back (not possible) and please stop screwing us over.
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    I got this game and at first I was very excited, back to the jungle, finally. I thought at first as I watched the Jack Carver-esque army guy kill guards and escape while my character whined like a little girl about everything, that you would take over the role of said army guy. Then army guy gets shot and I realize I am going to be this whiny 16 year old that after skinning hundreds ofI got this game and at first I was very excited, back to the jungle, finally. I thought at first as I watched the Jack Carver-esque army guy kill guards and escape while my character whined like a little girl about everything, that you would take over the role of said army guy. Then army guy gets shot and I realize I am going to be this whiny 16 year old that after skinning hundreds of animals still says eewee every time he does it. This game has a couple minor issues with the ai and mildly repetitive side missions, but aside from that, the game play is a solid 10. The guns feel really good, they sound amazing, sitting on the couch playing on the TV with a 360 controller and my amazing PC is a huge bonus, unfortunately he story, is downright ABYSMAL and seems to do everything it can to make you not want to play the game. My 2 year old could have written a better story. An easy fix would have been the 16 year old getting shot, and the 30 year old special forces trained bad ass brother going on a murderous rampage would have made a LITTLE more sense, but that's just me. Whoever made the decision on that on should be beaten severely. He constantly complains while effortlessly killing hundreds of people like it is what he was born to do. I just do not see how someone could possibly think that would be a good design decision. Now on to another note, the game does have a co-op mode with actual BELIEVABLE characters. The only reason I gave this game any points was the co-op mode and probably the best looking jungle foliage I have ever seen (the big broad leafed plants look M-azing) and the sandbox elements are somewhat decent, and I still get a little scared every time I hear a tiger growl in the bushes or a bear growl, as they are as you would expect, extremely dangerous. The Breakdown:

STORY:-20/20:The story in this game is so bad I have to give it negative points, as it just makes no sense and you are reminded of it every time the main character speaks, and I agree with Vaas, hes a little chicken **** How it is Jason, and not the older brother who was chosen as a main character is beyond me. Someone should be fired over that. It is seriously the rotten core to a majestic oak of a game. GRAPHICS:20/20: The plats trees and shrubs look amazing. Light transitions are so wonderfully done I can feel my pupil dilating. Water is superbly done, with ripples on the surface looking and behaving realistically. The sun, sunrays, and reflections are some of the best I have ever seen and it runs wonderfully on a single 560ti and a 3820 @4.6 and 16 gigs ddr3quad 1866 on ultra settings 1920x1080.

GAMEPLAY: 5/20- Gunplay is fantastic, combat is fun, and enemies are only mildly retarded. The hunting mechanic is a nice diversion tho as soon as you get the extended pouches becomes completely irrelevant as you animal skins are worth less than a crumpled pack of smokes.

SOUND: 15/20: The sound is really good, and I normally only mention audio if its bad. The gun sounds in particular are extremely realistic and oh so enjoyable, and make me feel like I am shooting a gun and not a string of black cats(firecrackers) Distances are accurate and I get scared hearing a tiger growling in the bush Only points subtracted for the girlish nature of the main characters voice.

REPLAYABILITY: 0/20: As fun as the combat is, and as pretty as things look, I just do not see myself playing this game again if I even finish my first play-through. Side missions are incredibly repetitive, the story is just BAD, the main character is seriously the worst character ever, they should have just not had him talk at all. He literally killed this game for me and I really don't know if I will finish it once. TOTAL:20 out of 100. Final thoughts:I really have never been more shocked at any single gamplay element of a game more than the choice of a main character in farcry 3 and that is rally just the tip of the iceberg as far as completely illogical unbelievable story issues go. This really would have been an amazing game if it just had a better main character, but as bad as Jason is it ruined the game for me. My girlfriend walked in while I was skinning something and asked why he was saying eew (apparently hes a little chicken **** **** asked if he did that every time(unfortunately), and wrinkled her nose like she smelled something bad and said "really?", its that terrible. I just do not understand why....thank god crysis 3 looks incredibly promising, or I would have sold off every bit of Ubisoft stock I own and invested it in Bohemia Interactive, which I may do anyway, since they still make computer games for adults, rather than take the creative dump that is farcry 3 and try to sell it for 59.99 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME). Pre-packaged DLC should just be called "content", not "bonus material". I will never buy any game that has a pre order bonus that is "extra" ingame content, nor did I buy this one.
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in theLet's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  23. Dec 4, 2012
    I'm giving this game 2 points, and that's for the graphics. I was severely disappointed by the title. Ive long been a Far Cry fan, and loved nothing more than cranking up the difficulty and planning my strategy filled attacks on outposts. Well what this game did was take the things that separated Far Cry 2 from the rest of first-person shooters, and scraped them. The excessive HUD andI'm giving this game 2 points, and that's for the graphics. I was severely disappointed by the title. Ive long been a Far Cry fan, and loved nothing more than cranking up the difficulty and planning my strategy filled attacks on outposts. Well what this game did was take the things that separated Far Cry 2 from the rest of first-person shooters, and scraped them. The excessive HUD and imbecilic AI turn you into a god, and every element of realism is eliminated. Money is so easy to obtain it's laughable; Dollar bills just laying around on every table in a poverty stricken island nation? Furthermore, the prospect of "Free Weapons" for just climbing a radio tower isn't logical at all. Not only that, but they remove weapon degradation and jamming, field surgery, and actual physical maps? Its obvious the developers noticed that a higher profit could be yielded if they literally dumbed down the title and removed any hint of sophistication as to cater to the 12 year-old COD fanboy demographic. It's as if the last true video game title made by a large developer has been ruined and turned into another over-cinematic arcade shooter (that has been so popular since the 4th Call of Duty) that requires no thought or skill (other than the famed "no-scope" that has grown so popular in the tween circles.) I can at-least be satisfied in that this game is going to bring the community one step closer to noticing the clear capitalistic motives of main stream developers that trump any motivation to create an original, good, game, and one step closer to relying on the indie developers that are creating today's innovative games. Now allow me to step off my soap-box. P.S If you're a 12 year-old console COD fanboy, do us true gamers a favor, and put your parents money toward something of quality (like meth, or cyanide), and stop ruining this industry. Expand
  24. Dec 5, 2012
    It doesn't deserve 0 but the user score is too high for such a game. If we keep the game and the product as 2 separate things, the product is messy and full of bugs. It keeps crashing on me and the DX11 adds nothing to the graphics. The game doesn't give you any real challenge but the multiplayer. All challenges and missions are easy as pie and the hud (that or some npc doing things youIt doesn't deserve 0 but the user score is too high for such a game. If we keep the game and the product as 2 separate things, the product is messy and full of bugs. It keeps crashing on me and the DX11 adds nothing to the graphics. The game doesn't give you any real challenge but the multiplayer. All challenges and missions are easy as pie and the hud (that or some npc doing things you don't get to do) does the work for you while exploring pointing out where to go and what to push. Cutscenes, qte's and explosive barrels are everywhere to the point it hurts as if health regen coupled with loads of meds were not enough to break the game to the point fall damage works better than shetloads of bullets. It truly feels like an xbox360 exclusive and unless you like pain and play it with a xbox controller your disappointment will know no bounds. And the quests.....i guess it's a good game if you enjoy killing animals over and over again? Expand
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    the bigger the expectation the bigger is the Disappointment or maby i didnt understand what the game supposed to be? is it FPS or RPG i dont understand it.and what with the climbing the towers
    its so frustrating and so is the action scenes very mediocre.the graphics are not bad but you need to have a strong computer.the sound quality is very bad.maybe if you like exploring open world
    with no purpose then tha game is for you.one thing i am sure this is not a worthy(for the 2012 year) action game.
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    Far cry 3 is a great game but the only bad thing is that the bad guy (Vaas Montegoro) has a slightly lopsided mohawk. All game breaking mohawks aside this game is amazing.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    Not one of my all time favourites, it has to be said.. Never been a fan of Far Cry, I find it boring, repetitive, dull and the multiplayer is very mediocre
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    I am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocreI am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocre textures, bad cartoonish looking grass...and the water and water effects look like they were done with the Windows paint program. Let's take a look at a game like Dirt Showdown, for example, and compare it to this game. When you max out Dirt Showdown, you can really tell the difference, in Far Cry 3 you can't, but your computer takes a huge performance hit for no reason at all. Another game, The Witcher 2 (which is only directx9) the water effects in the Witcher 2 are absolutely stunning, because it looks like real water and when you step in water, there are ripple effects in the puddles, and that is only DX9! Another prominent example is Skyrim, the new textures they added are absolutely stunning, both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim look like they would be DX11, although they are not. When you are playing Skyrim and walking through Solitude, it feels as though you are actually in a real village, your character model looks impressive and you can see the detail on your armor and weapons. The rocks on the trails in Skyrim are impressive, and the water, though not as impressive as in The Witcher 2, still looks better than the 2D "DX11" water in Far Cry 3. Like I said, compare Far Cry 3 to any of these other games, and you will see what I mean. (P.S. compare it with the 2-3 year old Just Cause 2, and you'll definitely see what I mean). Expand
  29. May 25, 2013
    After hearing so ma ny good things about this game, I it knowing that it didn't support Steam achievements and required UBI's horrendous Uplay DRM software. Sadly, the game didn't come close to living up to the hype. The weapons feel anemic, in that basic animals and any armored human target requires almost a full clip to dispatch with anything other than a sniper rifle or a head-shot.After hearing so ma ny good things about this game, I it knowing that it didn't support Steam achievements and required UBI's horrendous Uplay DRM software. Sadly, the game didn't come close to living up to the hype. The weapons feel anemic, in that basic animals and any armored human target requires almost a full clip to dispatch with anything other than a sniper rifle or a head-shot. Seriously, it shouldn't take five shots from an mp14 to drop a wild dog, and it certainly shouldn't take two entire clips to kill a bear. The AI is awful you basically have to run into someone while crouched before combat starts, but if you miss a shot with a silenced sniper rifle from 1km, enemies will magically converge on your location as if you were glowing like the sun. The graphics are quite nice and I have played through it without a single crash, but the gameplay isn't generally compelling. Expand
  30. Nov 19, 2013
    Game is borked due to uplay bug and drm. Played intro, had to leave, now my key is invalid and i cant play it no response from ubi support. 30 minute game is bad and not fun 0 score
  31. Dec 21, 2012
    The hunting feeling is great, but your character gets strong really fast and then completely overpower anything on the island. Bosses: Vaas was great, the rest were all stereotypical and boring. The main character doesn't behave as I would like him to also. He's scared of blood :p. He doesn't have sex with the girls. He never just hold on to one bad guy after beating him up and ask himThe hunting feeling is great, but your character gets strong really fast and then completely overpower anything on the island. Bosses: Vaas was great, the rest were all stereotypical and boring. The main character doesn't behave as I would like him to also. He's scared of blood :p. He doesn't have sex with the girls. He never just hold on to one bad guy after beating him up and ask him to explain why the **** do they all work for this sickos?
    Wonderful environment otherwise. I Loved it.
  32. Sep 27, 2013
    A great game that checks all the right boxes. Finished it as of tonight and although I took my time, it's worth it. Some say the story was cliche and cheesy but it felt like a good fit for the game. It was not the best as it was repetitive, but so are all Far Cry games to a great degree. If you want to play a shooter with a good story tons of action and takes some time to finish, pick it up.
  33. Jan 30, 2013
    Firstly, let me say if there is anything in life you want to achieve today, do it before starting this game!
    It is so easy to lose yourself in this game, 4-5 hours slip by so easily.
    This is without any doubt, the best game I have ever played. It puts the makers of the Call of Duty games to shame, the quality is unbelievable. I spent 60 hours on the campaign and saw no glitches,
    It is so easy to lose yourself in this game, 4-5 hours slip by so easily.
    I spent 60 hours on the campaign and saw no glitches, mistakes, pixels out of place anywhere.
    The storyline keeps you hungering for more and has plenty of surprises in store. Then when you finish the campaign store there is so much more to discover, side missions, competitions, hidden relics etc.
    Everything I heard people complain about from Far Cry 2, they have both fixed and improved upon.
    Started co-op with a friend last night and found it to be amazing.
    The co-op missions are Hard, you will really need to work at completing them.
    I look forward to Multiplayer as I am sure the quality that is evident in every other aspect of this game will be present.

I give this 95/100 Best game I have every played!!!
  34. Jan 8, 2013
    Game of the Year 2012. Far Cry 3 strikes the perfect balance between sophistication and simplicity with a terrific plot that'll keep you glued to the end. As a shooter, I must say that the "weapons" look and feel amazing and in this area at least the game seems to take some inspiration from the original Call of Duty: Black Ops (a very good thing). Just amazing. The only complaint IGame of the Year 2012. Far Cry 3 strikes the perfect balance between sophistication and simplicity with a terrific plot that'll keep you glued to the end. As a shooter, I must say that the "weapons" look and feel amazing and in this area at least the game seems to take some inspiration from the original Call of Duty: Black Ops (a very good thing). Just amazing. The only complaint I have is that I don't care of the cast of characters the protagonist must save - I wouldn't care to know them in the real world. I'm not sure if Ubisoft created these characters as an inside joke or if they really believe they're likeable. A small mar on an otherwise impressive achievement that does more to move the FPS genre forward than any other game this year. Highly recommended. Expand
  35. Jan 25, 2013
    1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems it is the way to make game longer. 2nd part focuses only of shooting - nothing more. The idea of exploration on the 2nd island was dig.
    So the first island I judge for 9, but the 2nd island for 5 only.
  36. Jan 16, 2013
    I loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaringI loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaring timer on top of the screen, breaking all the amazing illusions created by the game world. One thing people may gloss over - the writing and characters are, at times, offensively bad. I think I speak for many when I say that overused stereotypes of the "white man saving the indigenous people" trope is obvious and tired. And seriously, **** Vaas. Try harder Ubisoft, seriously. (Quoting Alice in Wonderland throughout was another misguided creative attempt, I felt.) There is a lack of creativity with the entire setting and modern day milieu, and it doesn't interfere entirely with main feel of the game, but it does stifle what could have been. Still definitely worth playing. Expand
  37. Nov 8, 2014
    I can only recommend this game at Steam's 75% off price.
    I can only recommend this game at Steam's 75% off price.
    FC3 has much the same problems FC2 had. Gameplay may have improved slightly, but its just as dumbed down, arcade and formulaic as last time. The world is still not persistent (which is important in an open world game that has some RPG elements). Corpses and loot vanish within seconds and vehicles just spawn or disappear right next to you, and so on. The usual checkpoint save system does not help here either - it does not save often enough and resets everything. The story is more engaging, but felt too unbelievable and often didn't make sense. I also didn't like the OTT drugs-debauchery-insanity-glorified-violence theme. The side-quests are mostly the FedEx variety, and among the worst I have ever seen. The game world has a bit of a theme park feel - everything is too close together (an enemy camp, friendly camp, and hunting range all in the space of a football field or two). Much of the landscape feels man-made, and no where near as impressive and natural as the island in Crysis 1. The enemy AI, which was one of the few really good things in FC2, seems to have been dumbed down in FC3, probably to make the stealth gameplay more accessible. Graphics, while ok, are clearly limited by the Xbox360 specs. Crysis 1 still looks better despite being 5 years older.

Its not all bad though: the flip side to the flaws is that the game is very accessible to casual gamers. Also, the story's ancient temple exploration segments were just as good as the best parts in 2013's Tomb Raider. A pity there was not more of that. FC3 is also a good PC port, including adjustable FOV and mouse acceleration settings.
  38. Mar 2, 2013
    I went into this game expecting some mindless entertainment, and was completely caught off guard. The Rook islands are gorgeous and full of places to explore, contain a wealth of semi-enjoyable side missions to complete, and serve as a contrast for the ugly brutality that goes on within them. The characters, save for Jason Brody, aren't terribly interesting and are very one-note, andI went into this game expecting some mindless entertainment, and was completely caught off guard. The Rook islands are gorgeous and full of places to explore, contain a wealth of semi-enjoyable side missions to complete, and serve as a contrast for the ugly brutality that goes on within them. The characters, save for Jason Brody, aren't terribly interesting and are very one-note, and dialogue is at times cringe-worthy. Combat is exceptionally fun, and is very easy for the player to tailor to fit their style of play. But, in my opinion, Jason Brody's story is where Ubisoft Montreal knocked it out of the park. Throughout the game you'll be shown quotes from Alice's Adventure in Wonderland, which is a fitting parallel for the story of Far Cry 3. Jason Brody is transformed by the islands, and savage characters he's forced to deal with. The ending did a very good job of showing this off, and left me wondering how I was ever put in such a mad situation. Easily one my favorite games of last year, only hindered by some minor quibbles. If you're on the fence about this game, I'd say give it a shot it might impress you like it did me. Expand
  39. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great, but the constant framerate drops when NOTHING IS HAPPENING ONSCREEN is annoying as all hell. I know i have the recommended requirements because a lot of times where lots of things are happening. i still can run the game at 40-50 fps.
  40. Jan 20, 2013
    First 10 minutes of Farcry 3 starts brilliantly. The escape from Vass's camp was well done and the character of Vass himself was enjoyable. But then it goes down hill after you get a magic tattoo.

There is no challenge in this game what so ever. Even on the "hardest difficulty" it is hilariously easy. The AI is quite simply broken and spend most of the game killing each other or from wildlife to be an actual threat.. The story is pathetic badly written and a lot of the time makes no sense.

Graphics are great but can not make up for the simplified gameplay. The crafting system is a joke, you only need on type of leaf to craft any syringe, not that it matters as I never used the combat/hunting stims as there is no point. The skill system did not need to be in the game at all, seriously how many ways of stabbing an enemy do I need after I get the bow?

Not being able to turn off item glow or the items showing in your map is annoying forced hand holding crap that I would expect if I was playing on easy. Missions are often tedious and boring and "boss fights" are nothing more than badly done quick time events. If you have not bought this yet, either pirate it or wait for it to be around the 20$ mark.

It had huge potential and had some good ideas, memorable characters and the jungle is very attractive but the lack of challenging gameplay or sensible storyline makes the game fall flat on its face. Sad to see something that could of been brilliant had most of its fun points such as survival and stealth made useless or overpowered. Enemies have to be looking directly at you to see you, even then you have time to move into some bushes.

Probably my biggest buyers remorse of the past 6 months.
  41. Jan 30, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will beFar Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will be working with Dennis on the first few main story quests, next thing you know you will be hunting a goat in order to get a second weapon, and NEXT thing you know you will be playing a Time Trial minigame set in the area. With the amount of things going on around you, from pirates walking down the road, then getting slaughtered by a tiger, to the Rakyat warriors getting into a gunfight on the bridge with the enemy pirates, the game feels so alive and real. The plot is the only big issue when playing, but you will most likely not be doing the main story line as you will be off hunting tigers to make that pouch to hold more ammo. Ubisoft doesn't do a very good job in developing the characters, as they don't really do a great job of explaining how Jason goes from never hurting a fly to murdering hundreds of pirates in order to save his friends and family. And it feels like the friends (and brothers) Jason is trying to save and even Jason himself are barely even likable.

The multiplayer and co-op mode is a whole different story. Take a tiny area of the single-player map, and pit players against each other online in a variety of gamemodes such as Team Deathmatch, Domination, and a few others, and you got multiplayer. It's fun, Far Cry 3's multiplayer is great. It is similar to single-player in a few ways, such as you heal yourself with bandages and even apply syringes. You also have the ability to revive your teammates if killed. The customization for your classes are also very nice, as you get a wide selection of weapons to choose from and can apply different mods to it, and equip something known as "Battle Cries", which are like perks but can be applied to your teammates as well. It is definitely not something to skip out on. However, you don't really get a choice considering no one plays the multiplayer. I can't speak for Xbox 360 and PS3 players, but as far as PC goes, no one plays the multiplayer, and it near impossible to find a match. The co-op is excellent too, it is a whole other campaign separate from the single-player campaign, but co-op (hence the name, obviously). The mission objectives do get a bit repetitive but the quick competitive mini-games that they squeeze in between them make them all the more fun. So last thing I gotta say is, if you are a fan of Far Cry 1 and 2, definitely get this game, and if have never played any Far Cry games, I really recommend them.
  42. Jan 31, 2013
    I got this game recently for my birthday and I've been loving every minute of it. The story has depth, stealth mechanics are brilliant, built-in cover system is fantastic. The game is visually stunning, making anything from cave exploration to hang gliding an incredible experience. I liked that taking over the outposts was fun, that you could do it however you wanted, whether it be rushingI got this game recently for my birthday and I've been loving every minute of it. The story has depth, stealth mechanics are brilliant, built-in cover system is fantastic. The game is visually stunning, making anything from cave exploration to hang gliding an incredible experience. I liked that taking over the outposts was fun, that you could do it however you wanted, whether it be rushing in guns blazing (which will result in reinforcements and maybe death) or sneak in, disable the alarm, not a sound. I am glad it's back to the island environment as I hugely enjoyed Far Cry 1. In conclusion, this game is easily worth its price on steam. Or anywhere! Expand
  43. Jan 31, 2013
    It's rare that I play a game through. In fact, despite spending several hundred dollars on games in the last year, and investing vast amounts of my time to video games, I can probably count on one hand how many games I have played to completion in the last year. Far Cry 3 is one of them. From the beginning of the game you get the sense that you are in over your head. They throw you intoIt's rare that I play a game through. In fact, despite spending several hundred dollars on games in the last year, and investing vast amounts of my time to video games, I can probably count on one hand how many games I have played to completion in the last year. Far Cry 3 is one of them. From the beginning of the game you get the sense that you are in over your head. They throw you into situations where you don't know what to do with just enough information to survive. From running for your life when you are just learning to run, to being dropped in the middle of a fight with no weapons. You don't always have time to think, and can only react, and it made it feel that much more real for me. There were parts of the game that I never saw coming, and I loved it. Having said that, there are definite issues with the game. From repetitively taking over territory and towers, to the character reactions, their progression and their growth that just didn't feel natural. Sometimes you are thrown into a situation that is legitimately not fair, and you have no way of surviving. Sometimes the plot feels forced. And sometimes the quest that you're on feel boring and repetitive. All of these detract from the game, and do so in a very large way. For any other game, these issues would have taken it down by 2 or 3 points, and it is a testament to how fun this game is that I ended up still giving it a 9/10. Everything else was done so well, and the game was so enjoyable and addicting despite such major flaws that they raised the score to a 9/10. This is truly one of the only games on the market that I would really recommend to anyone without hesitation. Expand
  44. Feb 9, 2013
    The best shooter I've played since COD: 4 Modern Warfare in 2007. I wanted to give it 9.5/10 but that apparently isn't an option. Extremely high-quality across the board. I have not played the multi-player yet and am judging the game based on the single player campaign alone. It's brilliant in all the core aspects you'd expect in a GOTY-contender shooter, so let me concentrate on theThe best shooter I've played since COD: 4 Modern Warfare in 2007. I wanted to give it 9.5/10 but that apparently isn't an option. Extremely high-quality across the board. I have not played the multi-player yet and am judging the game based on the single player campaign alone. It's brilliant in all the core aspects you'd expect in a GOTY-contender shooter, so let me concentrate on the characteristics of Far Cry 3 that make it unique and memorable. FIRST: story and writing. The game earns every bit of its Mature rating. The violence/language/brief nudity are not gratuitous, however. FC3 is the rare game that is undeniably better for their inclusion because they make the events seem much more realistic and add (a lot) of tension to key events. The game doesn't shy away from the horrific and brutal. Really refreshing to encounter this tone in a video game. The premise is simple: you, your brothers, and your 20-something friends vacation from the US at the wrong island and are taken hostage, to be sold on the black market by human traffickers. You're no warrior, but you'll be damned if you sit by and leave them to their fate. Because your character and his friends are so relatable, the emotional impact of this story attains a level rarely achieved in games. The dialogue and voice-acting are superb. Vaas is as memorable a video game villain as you'll encounter anywhere, and you'll hate his guts before the end. SECOND: exploration/open-world. The game-world is huge and enticing. Because there are no artificial borders to block your path, you can approach a battlefield from any number of directions, which impacts your tactics. Exploration is rewarded with loot and resources, adding a strong RPG element to the gameplay. Non-combat goals and items give you access to better gear and abilities. And so the third point.... THIRD: RPG elements. This is what helps make the game so addictive and ups its replay value. You can collect plant leaves (aka alchemy ingredients) in order to craft syringes (aka potions) that grant buffs, immunities, and restore health. You can hunt and collect animal hides in order to craft a larger inventory and ammo slots. You can complete mini-quests to earn and XP. You can unlock better and unique weapons and then customize them to your needs. Completing missions unlocks new skills, which can be learned by spending the Skill Points you earn when you level up. Another review described FC3 as the Skyrim of first-person shooters. This is a great description. NEGATIVES: The only negatives are quite minor. Basically they are: some vehicles can be difficult and frustrating to control. There is a sort of glitch where enemy laser sights create an annoying flickering effect when looking near you, even through solid objects. Enemy AI is about average they apparently don't think twice about running to a spot where the bodies of 5 of their comrades lie bleeding. Sometimes the melee attack seems to repeat way too long after I've input other commands. It took me about 40 hours to complete the single-player campaign on the hardest difficulty, which I used right from the start. It was usually sufficiently challenging but never way too easy and never frustrating or "cheap." When I died, it was my fault, but the gameplay is fun enough (and the autosave system smart enough) that dying isn't that big of a deal. Basically, any FPS fan should play it, especially those who are tired of the Call of Duty and Halo formulas. A lot of RPG fans will love the game too, especially if you like big, open-world adventures. Fantastic, fantastic game. Expand
  45. Mar 18, 2013
    ---------------------------------------------------------Simply amazing!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  46. Feb 11, 2013
    This is absolutely the best game I've ever played! The Island, the characters.. everything!!
    I started crying in the end, the way the creators of this outstanding game have made it really touched me and emotions flushed! I love this game, the feelings are very strong when playing.. I love you very much Liza Snow! Great work!
  47. Feb 16, 2013
    Before I start my review, I'll say I had previously played only the first Far Cry. I picked up this game for 20 euros on ebay a few days after its release and I'm really glad I did. The game is just pure fun, exploring the open world is amazing and the AI is good enough to make you feel part of the game. The plot is nothing great but the story missions are enjoyable. Some of the charactersBefore I start my review, I'll say I had previously played only the first Far Cry. I picked up this game for 20 euros on ebay a few days after its release and I'm really glad I did. The game is just pure fun, exploring the open world is amazing and the AI is good enough to make you feel part of the game. The plot is nothing great but the story missions are enjoyable. Some of the characters will really make an impact on the player (for example Vaas and the doctor) while others are forgettable (like Jason's friends). One of the things I absolutely loved about the game is the fact that you can play it your way. Want to be Rambo? You can. Want to be stealthy? You can. Liberating the outposts without being detected was a real challenge, a lot of fun and rewarding. One of my complaints is that, after you conquered the whole island, pirates won't show up often enough.
    The MP is quite good, maybe a bit too CoD-like but still enjoyable. The map editor is also a great feature. The graphics are simply amazing and the animations are incredible. If I had to give a fair rating I'd probably give it an 8, but since I had so much fun with the game I'll rate it 9. I'd say it's worth your money, even at full price.
  48. Feb 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an amazing game that proves consistently enjoyable despite its flaws. First off, the PC version is an incredibly well optimized game. I played through the entire campaign on a midrange laptop with most settings at High, three at medium in Directx 11. I had to disable Ambient Occlusion in the config file but god the game still looks gorgeous and runs butter smooth for me.Far Cry 3 is an amazing game that proves consistently enjoyable despite its flaws. First off, the PC version is an incredibly well optimized game. I played through the entire campaign on a midrange laptop with most settings at High, three at medium in Directx 11. I had to disable Ambient Occlusion in the config file but god the game still looks gorgeous and runs butter smooth for me. There is also a TON of game here, probably 40 hours if you are into doing the side stuff which helps level up your character. Things lose steam a bit when you hit the second island, but nothing as severe as in Far Cry 2, which I loved at first and then got so bored I never finished.

The major issues as have been well discussed are with the narrative. You will hate your character at the start of the game, and there are lots of missed opportunities to get the player emotionally involved in the plot. It really sticks out because some of the voice acting is phenomenal, the main characters are motion captured and brilliantly animated. And some of them are really memorable even if they are underserved in the greater narrative.

BUT, the game mechanics themselves work beautifully. If you are a fan of shooters and/or open world games this is a must play. Come expecting some blemishes, but if you stick around you will see that they only stand out because so much of this game truly shines. I had a BLAST playing it and am sad that its over!
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    Great, engaging and beautiful. Characters are actually developing over time and, although the story is compelling, you'll spend a lot of time just cruising around in a speedboat or hunting dangerous wildlife.

Overall, a great sandbox.

The only derp is the necessity of Uplay even if the game is bought through Steam, which is absurd. But not even that can ruin an otherwise great game.
  50. Mar 8, 2013
    I've played a lot of games in the past year, but Far Cry 3 was so far the most fun I've had playing a video game in a long time. Metacritic user reviews are loaded with lots of 10's for games that I don't think deserve a 10, but I decided to give this game a review, because I truly think it deserves recognition. It combines my two favorite generes, FPS and RPG/adventure, perfectly, withoutI've played a lot of games in the past year, but Far Cry 3 was so far the most fun I've had playing a video game in a long time. Metacritic user reviews are loaded with lots of 10's for games that I don't think deserve a 10, but I decided to give this game a review, because I truly think it deserves recognition. It combines my two favorite generes, FPS and RPG/adventure, perfectly, without going too far in either direction. A lot of the side quests are pretty boring, but I really enjoyed taking all of the outposts, coming up with new and interesting ways to do each one. Sure, I could just snipe everyone from afar, but what's the fun in that? Sometimes I'd try to do it with only knife kills, sometimes I'd go guns blazing, throwing C4 and grendades every which way. Now that I'm done with the game, I'm missing it, but I don't think this game has much replay value unless you wait a year or more between playthroughs. Nonetheless, it's been a LONG time since I've had that much fun playing a game for so long, so I think it deserves a 10. Expand
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    A long game, so u get much for ur cash. Its a tad to easy, so up the game mode to get more challenge out it it. Lots of weapons and upgrades, so ur able to play how u like.
  52. Mar 20, 2013
    It is like skyrim... the world is big, fun and engaging. I love the focus on takedowns and hunting of beasts to upgrade your equipment. But it was a bit too easy for my taste but the game is just too good in my opinion that I say, the heck it is easy but It is fun regardless.
  53. Aug 27, 2013
    The same as the 360 version but with some amazing graphics,better controls and the map editor is much better than before so buy its cheaper so well buy it and the opptunity for mods
  54. Mar 25, 2013
    "Far Cry 2" was a boring, dull game. Ubisoft realized it and made the work on bugs. As a result, the developers have created great and awesome the third part of Far Cry series. In this game almost everything is perfect: graphics, which is beautiful even on low settings, nice soundtrack, big, enthralling open world and, of course, exciting campaign with awesome plot and interesting"Far Cry 2" was a boring, dull game. Ubisoft realized it and made the work on bugs. As a result, the developers have created great and awesome the third part of Far Cry series. In this game almost everything is perfect: graphics, which is beautiful even on low settings, nice soundtrack, big, enthralling open world and, of course, exciting campaign with awesome plot and interesting characters. And speaking about characters, I want to highlight Vaas Montenegro. In my opinion, this crazy and charismatic man is one of the best antagonists gaming history. In general, "Far Cry 3" is one of the best games of 2012 and one of the best games that Ubisoft have ever made. Bravo. Expand
  55. Apr 10, 2013
    I bought this game on a whim; it was on a Steam sale and I grabbed it based on the reviews I had read on Metacritic. It's a slow start, initially I just wanted to run and drive around exploring the vast first island. Very soon though I dived into the story. The main bad guy Vas is a brilliant digital villain! He really is a nasty piece of work. The actor delivers a believable performance.I bought this game on a whim; it was on a Steam sale and I grabbed it based on the reviews I had read on Metacritic. It's a slow start, initially I just wanted to run and drive around exploring the vast first island. Very soon though I dived into the story. The main bad guy Vas is a brilliant digital villain! He really is a nasty piece of work. The actor delivers a believable performance. I dipped in and out of the story because the side missions are just incredibly entertaining. Capturing a base by using stealth is tense. It's rare that you can take a base by simply gunning it! Then there's the crafting, the very simple mechanism to craft bigger bags to carry more weapons and ammo is intuitive. Hunting with a bow is enormous fun!! The story has a few twists but nothing that original. But it's the digital performances that really stand out; Dennis is another believable character. Explore, hunt, capture, kill, skin and destroy! That's 35 hours that is well worth the £15 I paid. Expand
  56. Jul 31, 2014
    I haven't played THAT much of this game yet, but so far I've found this game extremly underwhelming. Everything feels so generic.

For example the hunting/harvesting (?), leaf a/b/c/d/e and animal hide a/b/c/d/e/f/g... Now can somebody tell my why everything have to be made of several different types of hide? Like to craft a backpack you need... I dunno, goat, a few strips of leopard, a patch of tiger... why not make everything out of one (or two) types of hide?! Or are we making a fashion statement, show the barbarians in the jungle how "us citiboys" do it? It feels like such a cheap way to add "content" to the game.

A game like this is all about immersion, and I don't find it very immersive having to go into the menu for crafting etc. Absolutly nothing in the plot, conversations and in general how friendly people talk to you is believable. You are some **** cityboy who knows nothing about survival weapons or anything like that, yet you are the only one who can bla bla bla bla... yeah...
  57. Aug 24, 2013
    Are critics paid to write so positively about this game and gave it an average 9? If I am to quantify the game with a number, it wouldn't be anything higher than a 4.

The fact that they put a nervy, squeaky, cowardly spoiled middle-class little brat as the protagonist has already killed 50% of the mood of anyone who tried to play it. It was hard to identify yourself with the main character and immerse yourself into the game if the voice actor, perhaps as the game design intended, sounds like an immature 17 years old. The constant unpleasantness of the voice only becomes more unbearable as you continue to play with the slightest hope that this game has more to offer to overshadow its flaws.

But then the clunky inflexible control which forced sprint command to a toggle as opposed to hold-to-sprint (can you believe that?), and the faster-than-should-be walk speed killed any last hope you might still have for the game. The UI design was so bland and uninspired, you might think the game designers had copied it from games from 1996. At some point you realized, if you tab-out and tab-in again, the mouse function would no longer work and you'd have to restart the game for it to work again. At that precise moment you further realized this game doesn't have a proper, game-friendly save system, and you're forced to work in missions for mission checkpoints, the only thing that saves your game.

The overall game mechanic and graphic style are basically the same as that of far cry 2 or fallout new vegas. You thought you might be getting something big with FC3, seeing how games like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 had pushed graphic realism to a ridiculous level. But in FC3 all you get is disappointment through and through. To put things into perspective, Far Cry 3 is like casting Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs in an already uninspired, poorly scrambled screenplay.

It's hard to quantify with a number but for a game as broken, unpolished, and mediocre as FC3, this game deserves 4. And to counterbalance the fact that the game is badly overrated and will continue to victimize consumers who may be be ill-informed about the game, I voted 0.
  58. Dec 21, 2013
    Bought the game off steam after it had been out a while as I heard a few people weren't too happy with it. Only paid 20 bucks I think. After 30min of play I am pretty disappointed too due to the dumbing down effect the game forces you into. Even the loot and money are visible on your HUD. I doesn't really feel like you are in any danger at anytime when engaging in gangs as the AI is prettyBought the game off steam after it had been out a while as I heard a few people weren't too happy with it. Only paid 20 bucks I think. After 30min of play I am pretty disappointed too due to the dumbing down effect the game forces you into. Even the loot and money are visible on your HUD. I doesn't really feel like you are in any danger at anytime when engaging in gangs as the AI is pretty stupid and even on hard settings just not challenging.

The game becomes very repetitive very quick due to just capturing radio masts and moving to the next one. Probably worth $15 to $20 in terms of eye candy and content. But I wont be buying any more Far Cry franchises regardless of price. Bought Far Cry 2 too and this series is done.
  59. Jan 10, 2014
    Та же проблема, что и у far cry 2. Быстро надоедает. Нет воздушного транспорта. Да и вообще военной техники. Только джипы и лодки с пулеметами. Как по мне, так бред. разве, что графика красивая. За это 3.
  60. Apr 14, 2014
    For the most part, I enjoyed the running around and clearing camps aspect of the game. I was hoping for a little more in the crafting department, but I was ultimately satisfied with what the game provided. What drove me insane about this game were the boss puzzles. Very rarely were they actually combat. Instead, you had to memorize the key combinations or beat the clock. These gimmicks getFor the most part, I enjoyed the running around and clearing camps aspect of the game. I was hoping for a little more in the crafting department, but I was ultimately satisfied with what the game provided. What drove me insane about this game were the boss puzzles. Very rarely were they actually combat. Instead, you had to memorize the key combinations or beat the clock. These gimmicks get old very quickly.

The story and atmosphere of the game went a long way to diminish what could have been a very strong game. To put it bluntly, the game was one big cliche'. Every so called "twist" was so predictable as to be painful. I also find the concept of "experienced combat veteran" (Grant) getting killed in the first few minutes and "incompetent noncombatant becoming god of war" (Jason) one of the most annoying tropes ever. As mentioned in other reviews, Grant was the logical choice for being the hero.

I don't like "busy work" in my games. Having to collect x number of y objects is a surefire recipe to boredom. Some of the backdrops (namely ruins and submerged caves) made the process a lot easier, but truthfully I never intended to finish those mini-games. This is a common weakness among Ubisoft games.

Finally, I personally am not a subscriber to either tattoos or recreational drug use, both of which play a central role to the game; both in story and in gameplay. The whole glorification of substance abuse made the game so much less that what it could be.

Now on to some good stuff. The Dunia engine is amazing. I love the seamless transition between wandering the jungle, swimming in the ocean, finding an underwater cave and then swimming into an ancient ruin.

I had fun with the gunplay. I thought sniping a bit weak, especially with the .50 cal. A really powerful scope and you can easily hit something from 1k away. I realize why the sniping was clipped, but it was still a disappointment. I was glad to see that spreading fire carried over from Far Cry 2.

I was very grateful for the absence of many of Far Cry 2's mechanics. Weapons don't degrade that fast. Even the cheapest of weapons would last longer. Malaria was stupid. The perpetually respawning enemy outposts was also thankfully absent. I suppose it says something about a game when some of its positive aspects are omissions from its prequel.

The single most disappointing thing is that I saw the potential for the 10 scores that people keep throwing out there. It could have been "THE" game of the year. Whether it was lackluster development or different design philosophy, that potential was wasted.

Still wasn't as bad as Mass Effect 3.
  61. Jan 21, 2013
    Honestly? This game is absolutely amazing. I play a ton of games in my free time, and Far Cry 3 definitely took the most time out of me. It provided me with over 60 hours of gameplay, full of pleasure and enjoyment. A fun, time-consuming, and often breathtaking experience. Definitely worth your time - play it!
  62. Feb 12, 2013
    This game had quite a lot of promise, but unfortunately I feel it makes the same mistakes many other sandbox RPG's make, namely the lack of serious content. The worst thing about this game, which, in our modern era of gaming we should be far beyond, and that is the repetitive filler side quests. No thought seems to have been put into them at all. Far cry is the first game I've everThis game had quite a lot of promise, but unfortunately I feel it makes the same mistakes many other sandbox RPG's make, namely the lack of serious content. The worst thing about this game, which, in our modern era of gaming we should be far beyond, and that is the repetitive filler side quests. No thought seems to have been put into them at all. Far cry is the first game I've ever actually given up finishing the side content because after the first 5 minutes of it I've already experienced the rest of the side content. The story line is a bit unbelievable but bearable, except for the strange endings. I would prefer the game over similar titles like assassins creed 3 (which far cry 3 has appropriated many many features from), the crafting system is a little bit tedious. While far cry was a fun experience, it certainly isn't anything unique, i don't see the appeal that the critics saw in this game, seems to be more of the same in my eyes. Expand
  63. Dec 28, 2012
    Simply amazing. Great storyline, everything made sense, graphics and visuals are stunning. AI can be challenging and the physics are great. Well worth the $50.
  64. Jan 22, 2013
    I really liked the open world of Far Cry 3. Almost felt a bit like a MMORPG, if you didn't want to continue with the story, then you just played some challenges or took over some camps. Really nice.
  65. Dec 8, 2012
    The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it,The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it, is carried by the story, this is a major eyesore in what is otherwise a very fun, and intense open-world game. I won't spoil anything for you, but let's just say there were many times where I had to just turn my brain off and force myself not to think about what just happened. The characters, and much of the voice acting, however, are top notch. I could write more about the game here, but long Metacritic user reviews look like crap and nobody wants to read a wall of text. So should you play this game? Yes. Absolutely. Just make sure you don't think too hard about it, and also make sure you crank the difficulty all the way, because the game is far too easy even on the highest difficulty. Like a Michael Bay film, Far Cry 3 isn't going to win your heart and stimulate you intellectually, but with the right hardware and a bag of popcorn, it's still a pretty darn good time. And damn if it doesn't have one of the greatest intros to a shooter I've played. Expand
  66. Feb 16, 2013
    Unlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungleUnlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungle is a welcome one. But FC3 was just too dull for me. It felt exactly like FC2 only with a brighter sun and surf on my doorstep. Oh an not having malaria this time is always a delight in gaming.

The story is interesting, Vas is crazy and I must save my moron friends. That works fine in this island paradise. But while on this journey of the mind and sole of my character I grew to, well, there is no easy way to say this hate myself. Not in reality, but within the game. Why, you may ask? Simple, unlike Gordon Freeman, he speaks and what he has to say is of no value and often takes the words out of my mouth before I get to say anything in reality. This happens when I enter a cave or put out an arm fire. He just chimes in and says the obvious. Things like "wow, what a cave amazing place". Yes Jason, we get it.

Me aside, the game world offers very little as far as open world games go. Radio tower scouts, hunting, driving to kill people, you name it. All those dull things just didn't carry any real value to me other than building bigger wallets to buy slightly better weapons once in a while. The camera is also useless as I found I couldn't bring it out to take wonderful screenshots of this oceanic paradise. Why not?! I did enjoy taking over locations. This is something that the game developers have done with such a simple fineness that makes them enjoyable. The main story is not too bad either and worth a good play-through at least once. But if I play through it again, the game would need to be patched to remove any dialogue from my character, he is just so full of um... Solid game, but not as good as it could be. 7/10.
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, this game SHOULD have been a 10/10, but is still an amazing game. Although not horrible, it is still an obvious port with an uncomfortable menu that switches control schemes between each option. Also, the boss battles or confrontations with high profile characters seemed extremely unfinished and rushed. Despite that the game is still phenomenal and a must buy for any gamer.First of all, this game SHOULD have been a 10/10, but is still an amazing game. Although not horrible, it is still an obvious port with an uncomfortable menu that switches control schemes between each option. Also, the boss battles or confrontations with high profile characters seemed extremely unfinished and rushed. Despite that the game is still phenomenal and a must buy for any gamer.
    However, the "Skyrim with Guns" claim is horribly inaccurate. Maybe Skyrim without 99% of the NPC interaction. Far Cry is not an RPG. It is an exploratory/adventure game at the most.
  68. Jan 14, 2013
    After 14 hours of gameplay i have to say that this is the most over hyped game of the year 2012. At first it may seem that there are lots of things you can do in the game but in the end its just collecting materials to weapon slots, ammunition pouches etc. When you actually manage to get all upgrades to your items hunting loses its purpose completely. Enemy AI is ridiculous and they oftenAfter 14 hours of gameplay i have to say that this is the most over hyped game of the year 2012. At first it may seem that there are lots of things you can do in the game but in the end its just collecting materials to weapon slots, ammunition pouches etc. When you actually manage to get all upgrades to your items hunting loses its purpose completely. Enemy AI is ridiculous and they often make themselves visible out in the open fields and like that. I feel FarCry3 could have been done way better but now it just stays as mediocre FPS game. Expand
  69. Dec 17, 2012
    This game was an absolute pleasure to play through; the gameplay was fluid and the skirmish style gameplay of the jungle/brush fighting brings innovation to standard cover based shooters. It makes a change fighting from bush to bush rather than from chest high sandbags to chest high concrete blocks. The only thing i will say is that the ending is a little abrupt. Judging by the map youThis game was an absolute pleasure to play through; the gameplay was fluid and the skirmish style gameplay of the jungle/brush fighting brings innovation to standard cover based shooters. It makes a change fighting from bush to bush rather than from chest high sandbags to chest high concrete blocks. The only thing i will say is that the ending is a little abrupt. Judging by the map you feel that it's safe to assume that reaching the second island equates to the half way mark in the game, but you'd be wrong. I completed the game before even finding out whether the second island out posts were even capturable; the map hints suggest that they are as they are presented the same on the map as the capturable outposts on the first island, despite the fact that the ingame dialogue suggests you avoid them at all costs. Suddenly all notion of the sandbox leaves the game and all those cool toys you get unlocked and are happy to use only seem to come into play for 3-4 more missions even though they're nothing particularly out of this world; so all the neat gadget-attatchments you were happy to discover and utilise also, for these new weapons, barely enter the game at all; unless you unlock every radio tower before playing through the story (which is impractical).

Enjoy the first island while you can and play through at your own pace. Don't be OCD and capture every out post you can at the start as you'll rob youself of interesting "random encounters" like guerilla jungle fights (which also earn you money on the side if you help the rebels win).

The crafting is also implemented at a decent level of sophistication. Skyrim was renowned for its unnecasserily tedious power levelling of skill perks and the herb list was extensive, but this game consists of 3 types that produce combat, hunting and healing abilities, the different herbs for each type are only aesthetical. Making it more practical for the casual gamer to bother with. Crafting gear is a little more laborious, different gear (wallets, loot sacks, weapon holsters) requires different animal pelts which appear to be arbitrary (2 goat skins make a tier 3 weapon holster and are available in a tier 1 area whilst a tier 2 loot sack requires a tier 4 animal pelt), but does give a general sense of progression by stalling you from having deep money/loot reservoirs and all weapon slots a fifth of the way through the game.

Summary: The characters are interesting and unique, the narrative is relavent to first world activities if not a little predictable plot wise (afghanistan and fictional terrorist attacks on NY are so over rated). The guns offer actual noticable difference in play style and stealth is a legitimate option to even the happy gunners (there's nothing stopping you from stealth killing half the men at an outpost then spraying the others with machinegun fire from the sniper nest you just cleared). But as i said, once you hit the second island and do a couple errands you'll suddenly find yourself at the final mission thinking you still had to liberate the island and get to use your new fanciful gear only half of which you unlocked for free because you avoided radio towers on the second island blocked by restricted zones.

I completed the story, liberated the first island, unlocked all the radio towers and did all the *important side missions (hunting/assasinations/medical drop offs) in 12 hours of gameplay. *doing certain side missions unlocks features helpful in the main story arc, such as the final version of all craftable gear or unlocking skills from the skill tree. But there was probably a good 40% more to explore and do. The relics can be largely ignored. They don't unlock gear like in GTA, the radio towers do that. But you'll want to get the radio towers anyway so you're not running blind the entire game so unlocking free gear feels like more of a side affect of not wanting to get lost and being sensible enough to unlock visibility of the map.
  70. Dec 15, 2012
    I can't explain how much I fell in love with this game. I played it from start to finish with no breaks in between. The story line while basic, makes you have true emotions towards the characters in the game. While the game suffers from a some minors bugs, the game is near perfect. I will definitely be buying Far Cry 4!
  71. Dec 18, 2012
    It's a game which i was waiting almost year to play. And i'm not disappointed. Far Cry has incredible graphic and addictive storyline. Playing it i can feel exotic climate like in FC1. Unfortunately it ends too quick.
  72. Dec 19, 2012
    Well, I loved Far Cry 1 and enjoyed Far Cry 2. I found Far Cry 3 to be a mixed bag. I agree with many of the comments that think Far Cry is trying to be COD & Uncharted (staged scenes and interactive style quick time really sucks!). Then you add the glowing items on the map and you feel that your hand is being held walking through the game. On the PC the menu's are inconsistent inWell, I loved Far Cry 1 and enjoyed Far Cry 2. I found Far Cry 3 to be a mixed bag. I agree with many of the comments that think Far Cry is trying to be COD & Uncharted (staged scenes and interactive style quick time really sucks!). Then you add the glowing items on the map and you feel that your hand is being held walking through the game. On the PC the menu's are inconsistent in function and for some reason things like the the scroll wheel only work on certain menus. The driving is horrible and like being on ice depending upon the vehicle. On the positive the shooting is tight, the bow is a blast and hard to master unless you use the red dot attachment. The overall voice acting is good, but Jason can get annoying. You also don't have any alternative actions on the main quest (there will be times where you just think if I did this now - it would be done - instead you get to go off on side quests to get back to where you were). Overall the game is OK, but the series is definitely going in the wrong direction (mass market)! Fortunately I got this game free with my new 7970 (the saving grace). Expand
  73. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    I played this game for 2/3 days, just running and shooting and base-jumping. I like the story and graphics. It's one big awesome action movie adventure.
    The game play is also very good for a shooter. I do think it is a shame that they made this game so easy. I play every game on the hardest settings, because the game will last longer and gives you all it has got. Even though I played it on the hardest difficulty, it was too easy. Another thing I do not like it that the game stops and gives you nothing to shoot any more. I completed all the assignments and then the game is just a big world with good guys.. so you start killing the good guys after a while.

After all: It is worth you money, it is worth your time and when I upgrade my computer, the game will be even more awesome, because the graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
  74. Dec 25, 2012
    It shouldn't come as a surprise, what with all the media coverage and the sellouts of the gaming industry claiming "enlightening gameplay" that this game is mediocre at best. I've played FC2 a lot and i see no major differences between FC3 and FC2. I mean sure, FC3 graphically stunning, colorful and it has something resembling a story, as opposed to FC2, but all those things aside itIt shouldn't come as a surprise, what with all the media coverage and the sellouts of the gaming industry claiming "enlightening gameplay" that this game is mediocre at best. I've played FC2 a lot and i see no major differences between FC3 and FC2. I mean sure, FC3 graphically stunning, colorful and it has something resembling a story, as opposed to FC2, but all those things aside it suffers from lack of ideas in more areas than one. The setting is a large and spacious rainforest/jungle with no apparent limits to movement. Sadly, this world is populated by stupid NPCs and wild animals and has practically NO variety to gameplay. The missions are pathetically simple and stupid (Kill this, kill that, go there, come back). One of the things, that this game has going for it, is the crafting system. It's a refreshment, however small, and it appeals to most of the gamers that feel betrayed by the aforementioned lack of content. The RPG elements feel a tad out of place, but find their purpose nonetheless. With those elements there's also the illusion of "progress" that plagues every game of late, but it's transparently obvious that it's a lie. I mean you're shooting guns at people from a distance and then they die. Not as often, they shoot back and then you die. It all comes down to how good you are at aiming and not dying, just like any other FPS, and that is OK. The story is cliche. People get kidnapped and it's up to you to get them back. I don't know about anyone else, but i'm getting tired of that shtick. The characters are reminiscent of those in FC2, and the voice acting can be tedious, but is ultimately satisfying. All in All, it's a good FPS for people that want freedom of movement, mindless action and colorful backgrounds, but even they will be bored after a while and go for something more fulfilling. Expand
  75. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ***SPOILERS****I really cannot understand all the fantastic reviews and hype surrounding this game GOTY?? I sure hope not. It does not deserve that at all. The game was fun at the start but quickly became boring. The side hunting quests are all exactly the same hunt a rare animal or take down an enemy leader with a knife even taking over enemy outposts became pretty much repetitious run in quick, disable the alarm, run back to surrounding foliage and start picking off enemies one by one with sniper rifle too easy. The NPC village quests are just plain laughable why would I care if a husband is cheating on his wife? And then go ask him to stop!

Now I played the PC version and although the cars boats were fun to drive they are very hard to control especially when doing timed races I only finished one race quest of about twenty or so I tried so I gave up on them in frustration. Shooting games were just as hard and I am a crack shot with the sniper rifle! 95% on head shots. Crafting was ok at first but half the potions you don't need or use and you only get two slots for them! Additionally, you quickly fill up your loot sack and wallet and end up dumping stuff constantly even when you finally craft the largest wallet lootsack that's because there really is nothing to buy so there is no point in even having money in this game or collecting loot. All the weapons are yours for free after climbing radio towers (dumb!!). I was buying all the maps and trying to find every single chest in an area for something to do but soon found out I had no more room for money or loot and nothing to spend it on. The only things I was buying after a while were ammo and bullet-proof vest refills so finding loot and cash is pointless. I'm a loot whore this was really disappointing. You really only need a shotgun, sniper rifle and occasionally an assault rifle. Most of the level up skills are crap as well when would you ever shoot anyone while sliding down the zipline??? I've opened up about 15 or so radio towers so far and never once had any enemies attacking me while doing this. Ditto for jumping on them from a cliff top was never possible.

The other thing that bugged the hell out of me was not being able to walk over a doorsill half the time without jumping Jason does not pick up his feet!!! This becomes deadly when trying to walk along narrow planks on radio towers or along 2x4's in a burning temple while you are on a timer!! And I got stuck in caves or temples several times because he could not get over a small rock! Retrieving loot from bodies and hides from animals was frustrating as well as you always have to hunt around for the right position before the words come up to do the action. Half the time I kept exchanging my guns when I didn't want to as well. Very poor mechanic.

Additionally, all the NPC's are the same! Just 1 or 2 different faces and voices I'm getting (or rather 'gitt ing') sick of that 'Austrylian eccent.'

There are fun parts, though my favorite thing is finding a big supply truck and running over pirates while driving or bashing into their jeeps then backing up and doing it over and over till they are all dead!
    Racing the boats around shooting at pirates is fun, too. Komodo dragons are scary as hell and I almost had a heart attack when I saw a crocodile pull a native into the river! Ouch. Deep diving through underwater caves is cool, as well. You will use the deep diving crafting potion alot.

Which reminds me of the poor menu system why do I have to check out every goddam idol in the book every time I find one when they basically are all the same??? Ditto for the memory cards and letters!! And I like to see actual stuff in my lootsack not just some generic black white drawings.

To sum up beautiful scenery and a few exciting moments does not make up for a dumb story, boring quests, bad mechanics, and extremely poor loot, crafting, money and skills system. Also for some reason I had a very hard time with the FPS aspect of this game. Seemed like the camera should be pulled back a little more this could just be because I'm spoiled by Skyrim where you could switch from 1st to 3rd person continuously. Oh well.
  76. Mar 5, 2013
    In summary: fun to begin with, but a weak story, repetitive gameplay, weak AI, lack of challenge, very average multiplayer (too COD) and lack of replayability mean that for me this game is far from a classic.

While this game improves on many of its predecessor’s flaws (eg, no more constantly respawning outposts), in my opinion it doesn’t live up to the hype and almost universal praise it has been receiving. For all its pretensions the storyline is pretty weak/clichéd and the characters very one dimensional, though very well acted. And it effectively hits a cul-de-sac when you reach the 2nd island. Jason is supposed to be a green, ordinary guy (as we are constantly reminded), but within half-an-hour he is proficient in a range of firearms, explosives, using a bow, stealth killing, making drugs, etc. It doesn’t work as a story. I thought the relationship between Jason and Vaas was interesting, but it wasn’t developed enough. And how many times can Vaas kill you without watching, only for you to escape? And the final confrontation with Vaas was a big anti-climax. I also found the “choose an ending” contrived and uninteresting.

Yes it’s a truly open world shooter and the environments are well realised, yet there is little variation across the terrain. And while the graphics are mostly very good, the ambient occlusion looks horrible, some of the textures a little muddy and there is far too much use of blurring effects (especially the DOF). And I found a bit of variety in the quality of the sound effects.

The gameplay is fun to begin with but quickly gets repetitive, and by the 2nd island I was bored. The many outposts are far too similar, the pirates/privateers not particularly intelligent and too unvaried, the story missions are uninspired and the game is too easy.

I gave the multiplayer a few hours, but it’s fairly average and borrows heavily from COD without improving upon it.
  77. Feb 12, 2013
    the best game of 2012.far cry 3 is batter from far cry 2 and let me tell you why:first vaas is the best villian ever.he is so epic.the single player is the best in all of this package its lest a lot of hour,its very fun and the story is epic and inresting.than come the co-op let me tell you that its not brilliant but it will give you at least more 10 hours.and than comes the multiplayer:itthe best game of 2012.far cry 3 is batter from far cry 2 and let me tell you why:first vaas is the best villian ever.he is so epic.the single player is the best in all of this package its lest a lot of hour,its very fun and the story is epic and inresting.than come the co-op let me tell you that its not brilliant but it will give you at least more 10 hours.and than comes the multiplayer:it is fun and you will spent on it hours but its doesnt bring anything new or unique.so i will give it 10/10 and i am highly recommending on this game. Expand
  78. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can be said about this game that has not already been said? It has pleasant graphics and allows you the ability to explore a world. Doing side quests are actually beneficial, such as activating radio towers to unlock weapons for free. Also the atmosphere in the game is great.

Unfortunately, the flaws are glaring. Looting seems to be affected by placement often. Good luck skinning that animal as it slowly rolls downhill. Special takedowns seem to be random at times. While the game offers rewards for being stealthy, it often seems the rewards are a pittance. A little extra experience for being silent, great. Perhaps the main reason to bother with stealth is you will likely die if you do not.

The plot overall is good with interesting twists. Some predictable, some unexpected. The development of relationships with jason and other characters is quite poor. In fact, it's atrocious. The biographies lend some help, but there is still quite the gap between wanting to save your friends and then wanting to kill them all after you just ran around the island risking your life to find your little brother.

Even worse are the endings. Maybe the same group of people are writing the endings to big franchise games lately. If so, they should be fired with extreme prejudice. While the endings in this game aren't nearly as bad as say mass effect 3, they are still slipshod at best. If you choose to save your friends, citra goes on about loving you and ends up dead. Then you get a monologue about jason realising he has become a monster but knowing he is something better. Nothing from your friends. Nothing from Liza, the woman you had up until recently cared significantly for.

If you choose to stay with citra, your friends die, including your little brother who you just risked your life over several times (and even lost a finger) to save. It gets better. Then you have sex with her and she kills you out of "love." I'll admit my culture and world view may be different, but I don't invoke "love" as a reason I kill someone.

The bottom line from me is this game offers some good things but is largely hindered by its own story plot. I found myself indifferent to the menu. Overall, I found myself asking questions that had no answers.
  79. Feb 5, 2013
    I remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. II remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. I felt obligated to find every Totem and every Letter to deepen the experience. The story itself is just a side thought from when I am not exploring or gathering materials for bigger ammo cases or wallets. Overall, this game provides many things to do, depending on what the player is feeling. Definitely a good buy. Expand
  80. Dec 7, 2012
    All what i can say about it, this game is legen... Assassin's Creed Far Cry edition... dary! I think ubisoft worked with Far Cry 3 more than Assassin's Creed 3, and you can see finally users reviews about two this games.
  81. Jan 1, 2013
    I wasn't a fan of the previous Far Cry games. No idea why, they just didn't gel with me. FC3 however has me hooked from the start. I'm really enjoying the story telling and the realism of the cut scenes. The combat is smooth, graphically is a work of art. Sadly, I can't run it at max settings, but even on a mix of medium and high ... WOW! I enjoy the hunting missions prowling in theI wasn't a fan of the previous Far Cry games. No idea why, they just didn't gel with me. FC3 however has me hooked from the start. I'm really enjoying the story telling and the realism of the cut scenes. The combat is smooth, graphically is a work of art. Sadly, I can't run it at max settings, but even on a mix of medium and high ... WOW! I enjoy the hunting missions prowling in the undergrowth and there's a real sense of tension. The vehicles are varied and have weight, the sound is excellent, the score itself blends nicely and for me, the greatest achievement is the immersion. I feel like I'm on an island when I play. I want to explore and find the caves and old camp sites. I struggle to see why people are rating this so low??? Even at it's worst, it NEVER deserves less than a 7. It's a very enjoyable game and Ubisoft have done themselves proud. Grab it on Steam now as it's on sale (31/12/2012). UPDATE: I had to change my score from a 9 to a 10. I have been playing FC3 non stop for 3 days and the bug will not die down. I'm constantly thinking about the game and what to do next. I've bought a lot of games this year and FC3 surpasses all of them. There is so much to do and it's all fun. The racing is good, the hunting (animal), the bounty hunting, looking for loot, swimming, etc. I cannot find a single fault with this game. It stands out like a beam of light this year. People have compared this to Skyrim (with guns). While Skyrim has more depth (I played that for 150 hours) FC3 is the more 'fun' game. EASILY the best game this year and one of the best I've played ever to be honest. Expand
  82. Dec 7, 2012
    I was really excited when this game came out but the end result is a bit of a disappointment. The game starts off with a strong opening scene/mission and the main antagonist is definitely more interesting than most I've seen in releases of late. Whilst I couldn't wait to start roaming around the jungle, this is also where the game fell apart. While at first it's a lot of fun exploring theI was really excited when this game came out but the end result is a bit of a disappointment. The game starts off with a strong opening scene/mission and the main antagonist is definitely more interesting than most I've seen in releases of late. Whilst I couldn't wait to start roaming around the jungle, this is also where the game fell apart. While at first it's a lot of fun exploring the lands, finding an underwater cave by chance and looking for goodies. Soon though, you will have seen enough to really care. This is especially true when you climb radio towers (18 in total that reveal more of the map when you activate them), alongside the bandit camps that need clearing to give you new fast travel/shop/quest outposts. It's highly repetitive, though this is something I can actually live with just fine. Killing relatively dumb NPC's with silenced weapons and the bow, or charging in with an RPG can be rewarding. There are some notable issues that just hurt, if not kill, the gameplay experience. For instance, you can fire a silenced sniper from 200m away and the enemy will run towards the exact location the gun was fired from. What's more that if you get detected, enemies suddenly take less damage from your weapons. A defender (with LMG) type enemy can be killed with a single headshot if he's unaware, this suddenly becomes 3 headshots if he has seen you. The crafting system isn't too bad but it doesn't make sense, why go through 5 wallets that can each hold a bit more money than the last if you could just make the biggest one straight away? That said, how can shark skin be made into a quiver that holds more arrows than 2 goat hides? You also seem to have the ability to slide down a mountain without taking any damage, but if you sprint off a small incline chances are you'll stumble and lose almost a full bar of health. If you get knocked by an enemy and you finish a quick time event to get back up, there won't be enough time to heal before you get finished off. At least let me die straight away and save the time/frustration. The list continues, but it boils down to 'illogical'. Throwing a stone 10 times and getting the same reaction out of the enemy doesn't make sense, he should be aware by the 2nd of 3rd stone something is up. It has fun driving mechanics (not perfect, but better than most games), great gunplay (unlike some others say, each gun does have unique and noticeable characteristics) and the island setting is nice and colorful (color in a modern day fps zomg!). It is simply let down by frustrations that boil down to poor design, hitting you over the head with what's under the hood and slamming you out of the experience. I'm a long way in, the story does go downhill but I still want to find out how it ends. Though I'll only be playing for an hour at a time, mainly due to the fact I'll be ****** over by the game by then due to shoddy mechanics, fail a mission and alt-F4 that sucker out of frustration. Expand
  83. Dec 16, 2012
    It is best game on this year! Multiplayer is not bad, but co-op is amazing!!!!!! I recommended this game for all... bl-bla-bla/ just say one: must have!!!
  84. Jan 16, 2013
    As a fan of the Far Cry franchise, I really wanted to like this game, but I found it remarkably difficult to enjoy. It has a few interesting concepts (hunting, takedowns, zip lines) but they are poorly implemented and do little to make this game fun. They have eliminated many of the major flaws found in Far Cry 2 (e.g. infinitely respawning guards), but also many of the things which madeAs a fan of the Far Cry franchise, I really wanted to like this game, but I found it remarkably difficult to enjoy. It has a few interesting concepts (hunting, takedowns, zip lines) but they are poorly implemented and do little to make this game fun. They have eliminated many of the major flaws found in Far Cry 2 (e.g. infinitely respawning guards), but also many of the things which made that game enjoyable (e.g. 'buddies' and weapon deterioration). Many of the new features and mechanics feel like they were borrowed from the Assassin's Creed franchise (e.g. looting bodies, climbing towers to reveal the map). The story is much more developed in this game than its predecessor, but unfortunately it is also less interesting overall. Throughout the story you are forced to endure many dream or hallucination sequences that are generally boring and do nothing to advance the story. Even the major 'boss fights' are ruined in this way, forcing you to endure quick-time events or repetitive corridor shooting, rather than allowing you to just play the FPS game you wanted. Probably the worst part is that although this game is technically 'open world,' the world feels very empty and boring. There's plenty of lush terrain to explore but precious few things to do there: the handful of enemy bases are easily captured (permanently), which also removes all enemy patrols from the area, and the few civilian settlements have almost nothing to do there, and you cannot talk to hardly any civilian NPCs. Overall it's not a terrible game, but I did find it to be a big let-down, and it certainly does not live up to the hype surrounding it. Expand
  85. Dec 8, 2012
    This is by FAR the best game I have played ALL year. Screw dishonoured and its psuedo-non-linear path with the lowest duration I've seen in a game in a long time. Farcry 3 takes FPS seriously to an entirely new, unique and superior level. In all honesty this game has believable characters, amazing graphics, jaw-dropping story-line and polished gameplay mechanics. Totally ignore those whoThis is by FAR the best game I have played ALL year. Screw dishonoured and its psuedo-non-linear path with the lowest duration I've seen in a game in a long time. Farcry 3 takes FPS seriously to an entirely new, unique and superior level. In all honesty this game has believable characters, amazing graphics, jaw-dropping story-line and polished gameplay mechanics. Totally ignore those who crap on about it not having mutants, ignore those that try and wreck the franchise by even comparing it to CoD these people lack significant game experience if that's all they can compare this game to.
    Farcry 3 breaks all the barriers that keep CoD and Black Ops players in their pen and allows them to use that rinse-repeat formula. When I played this initially I didn't expect much, but 10 minutes in and I was already impressed. The voice acting is astounding, the character expression and casting have been hand picked and when I play the game I never felt bored - you control entirely the direction of the game from beginning to end; there is a preset path but with a nigh infinite series of side quests at your fingertips. Here's what this game isnt; a bloody MMORPG, CoD, Farcry 2, Assassin Creed 3 etc etc ....it is it's own game. What people are complaining about are trivial - non skipable cutscenes...that you only watch once....erm wow knock of some points, it must be a MMORPG because you gather materials and you "grind quests"; i actually laughed at that one. Im trying not to use foul language here, really im trying. To put it simple here IS what Farcry 3 was to me and to the people that gave it 100% (which it deserves):
    - Free from FPS that lets you explore and "grind" (lol seriously) as much as you like or not at all.
    - Beautifully rendered cutscenes that use the in-game engine to push the story ahead.
    - Phenomenal character design and high production values spent on in-game cinematography and voice acting (i cannot stress how refreshing this is).
    - A HUGE array of side quests and unlockable weapons.
    - Gets the player (me) engaged with not only the story, but the wildlife and the island itself; it is tough not to become part of the game and it's characters.
    - EPIC in length; I've been playing this for 1 - 2 weeks, almost all the time. I have enjoyed every hour to be honest.
    - Well organised and crafted level up / skill system.
    Multiplayer is also plenty of fun with unlockable weapons. You start of with some basic loadouts and then like every other multiplayer now, you level up through kills etc. Just so you know its easy, I went from 1 to 37 in 1 day alone; its not that difficult. I will point out though you can get VERY far with only using the first weapon in your loadout - so it felt it was quite balanced.
    Here's what Farcry 3 does wrong:
    - Sticky Controls at times.
    - Feels a little bit like a console when picking up items or interacting with the environment in any way.
    - I had only 1 glitch in the entire game.
    - Perhaps running and falling should be better explained to the player. I.e running off a cliff will "amazingly" kill you, whilst walking down or crouching down the side of a cliff keeps your kneecaps intact. Here are the dumbass complaints you should ignore:
    - Total reliance on woods to heal, and the healing system is dodgy.
    Bollocks simply put. The healing system serves a purpose otherwise you would never get anyway and constantly be slaughtered. It's your job to keep your injections to heal full and your job to find locations for safety to heal yourself. If the game has them hunting you (like real people do) then holy crap that is what should happen.
    - Quick time events are everywhere.
    Garbage. They are present and serve as cutscene mechanics. They flow well and are actually enjoyable to utilize during the scene itself. The only other time you use quicktime events is when you're about to die, or being attacked by an animal - it's giving you a chance - I cant believe someone complained about this
    - Unlock skills and equipment to quick:
    Ridiculous. To level up you need to progress thorough the story's parts; otherwise you have levels to spend but they are unavailable; its a mechanic that warrants the player invests time in the story and not just dicking around. Salvaging animals to make better gear is great fun but you dont have to do this, so it's really up to you whether or not you want to spend the time or not. Look guys, the list could go on. Let me make this clear..read very carefully the reviews that give it below 5 or 4...read them. I mentioned the graphics once, I discussed predominantly the gameplay. The Direct X11 is amazing, yes, but aspects such as AI, the rpg elements, and sooo much more makes this game worth playing. When someone on here compares this FPS with a decent story for a change to an MMORPG...seriously, read them for a laugh. I sincerely hope this helps you BUY the game and ignore those flamers that wreck a game that for once is borderline a piece of art.
  86. Dec 13, 2012
    Fantastic game, I'd probably go as far to say one of the best fps I have played in recent times. The story is immersive, I think using the 'not-cut-out-for-this' guy as the main was a great decision as it boosts the game's immersion even more and that's what you want from a story isn't it? The graphics are AMAZING to say the least. Runs smoothly on medium on my lower end rig. The negativeFantastic game, I'd probably go as far to say one of the best fps I have played in recent times. The story is immersive, I think using the 'not-cut-out-for-this' guy as the main was a great decision as it boosts the game's immersion even more and that's what you want from a story isn't it? The graphics are AMAZING to say the least. Runs smoothly on medium on my lower end rig. The negative reviewers seem to pick holes in the form of cons which go for every game on the market that ever has, or will be released. I really don't know what the expect from a game developer. This is a fantastic game full of colour, depth and a whole lot of fun. If you haven't already got it, please pick it up now. The game of the year for me. Expand
  87. Mar 16, 2013
    This game easily receives a 10. The story was engaging, the game play was a joy, and the graphics are amazing. I never touched the Co-op or the multi-player because I never cared to. Far Cry has never been about either. The story lasted a little over 30 hours for me and there are still more places I would like to go explore.
  88. Mar 17, 2013
    This is what I wanted Skyrim to be. A beautiful world to run around in, but with an actually good storyline and a sense of reason for being there. Wandering around hunting or helping others had a point too. Far Cry has previously typically been a tech demo in my mind, so I thought it was overhyped, even after playing through the demo at E3'12. Boy, was I wrong. I'm glad I played throughThis is what I wanted Skyrim to be. A beautiful world to run around in, but with an actually good storyline and a sense of reason for being there. Wandering around hunting or helping others had a point too. Far Cry has previously typically been a tech demo in my mind, so I thought it was overhyped, even after playing through the demo at E3'12. Boy, was I wrong. I'm glad I played through the free copy that came with my video card purchase, it's one of my favourite games of the year. Expand
  89. Mar 19, 2013
    Excellent, atmospheric and unique take on the FPS Sandbox GTA hybrid. Loved the attention to detail, roaming the jungle and exploring the islands. A well done, immersive game that is just gorgeous and great fun to play!
  90. Dec 11, 2012
    As the top poster says, this is one of the few games in a long time that dosent disapoint. The develepors have learned from the mistakes of far cry 2 and improved alot. And i actually got quite drawn in to the story. Very good game
  91. Mar 18, 2013
    10/10, hands down one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. It really reminds me of Crysis 1 before it became all CODish with a preset path. Here, I can attack my opponent from many angles, and the fact that if you take over an outpost without being detected just adds to that awesome feeling of you being a "hunter" "hunting" the pirates. As to the complaints over how crafting10/10, hands down one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. It really reminds me of Crysis 1 before it became all CODish with a preset path. Here, I can attack my opponent from many angles, and the fact that if you take over an outpost without being detected just adds to that awesome feeling of you being a "hunter" "hunting" the pirates. As to the complaints over how crafting works, i personally think it is fine. Sharks are easy to kill if you just use a boats machine gun, tigers are some what of a pain but not immposible. Lastly, this game offers a good bit of challenge. The quests where you must kill a pirate leader only via a knife are awesome, especially when some friendly npc's decide to attack the camp just opening up a great opportunity. Words can not describe this game, thus all I can say is: Buy it now, you will not regret it. Expand
  92. Feb 15, 2013
    FC3 would be rather nice game without sandbox. The story parts of the game are good indeed, but the sandboxing and hunting animals to get better quiver etc. is just stupid. Furthermore, the whole crafting system is way too shallow. It is as if the character carries a laboratory, workbench and leather tanning/boiling equipment with him all the time.

There are still lessons to learn where

There are still lessons to learn where FC2 failed. Better luck next time.
  93. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, this game is just way too easy. Tried hardcore mode on my first go with almost no problems at all. Intense storyline and voice acting along with wonderful scenery though. However, Farcry 3 really doesn't deserve such a high rating in my opinion. As soon as I bought my first sniper rifle, every single mission/camp was a breeze. The boss fights left me quite confused and was unsatisfactory due to the 'cutscenes' which forced you to press a button every couple seconds. Enjoyable game but really not worth its price just because it was simply too easy. Glad I didn't spend money on it lol. =) Expand
  94. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is a decent shooter, the weapons are satisfying to use and there is some intense shooting, there is option to an stealth aproach and is satisfying to cleanse an outpost of enemies without been seen. However, this game isn't Skyrim tropical island version, if you are expecting deep RPG mechanics and involving side quests you are going to be dissapointed. It is a game about a guyThis game is a decent shooter, the weapons are satisfying to use and there is some intense shooting, there is option to an stealth aproach and is satisfying to cleanse an outpost of enemies without been seen. However, this game isn't Skyrim tropical island version, if you are expecting deep RPG mechanics and involving side quests you are going to be dissapointed. It is a game about a guy with guns that shoot other guys with guns, outside the main storyline, you just kill alot of guys with red shirts for no real reason but only for your amusement, its a Call of Duty on a island, less scripted and with more options. If compared with Call of Duty, its a more complex game, but when compared with other open world games it's a little too shallow. Expand
  95. Dec 12, 2012
    Rating this game is pretty difficult since with high expectations a let down often results in even poorer sometimes unfair grades. Ill try to be as fair as i can though.
    I liked the atmosphere of the game and since i am not a pro fps player i can kill quite some time with killing stupid npcs that have a worse reactions than my granny. Like in for example Prototype just running around ( litterally, since our hero is quite fast with all those guns and stuff) killing stuff is fun and if you dont look at all the maps and quest directions the islands are pretty well designed giving off a nice flair. Wildlife in general is way more scary than npcs especially certain water animals but wearing a shotgun eventually reliefes you of your fear of most animals. I wouldnt take the crafting system too seriously because except for the syringes rather than real crafting its more like upgrading very few predefined things like ammo pouches or quivers and its only working once so before long you only need to craft healing items anymore.
    Anyways i could live with all of this but i have to deduct quite a few points for bugs and/or illogical game play and game design decisions. First off, the looting is horrible and makes you switch weapons with the dead rather then taking their money. Same with skinning dead animals. It looks like the collisions are totally off at this point and this really is annoying and takes up too much time. Another huge setback is the UI. At times it litterally clobbers at you with information but when you really need it like you shot an animal and now need to look for it lying in 3 feet high grass its not helping and you can search for hours before you realize its despawned by now. Oh and whatever you do, try to avoid vehicles. Boats are kind of okay-ish i guess but almost any land vehicle gives off worse handling than an aircraft turbine powered hovercraft would have. Probably this is why even friendly NPCs may kill you by accident when you walk on the streets. I could probably go on a little more but there really are some fun things too. The world itself behaves pretty random and funny sometimes. A nice example was an enemy in a car hitting a goat on the street ending up exploding on a tree starting a fire which burned down a enemy base. Now thats bad luck!
    I am still giving 7 out of 10 because there is a lot potential in this one and i am really curious about what mods the community will create. Yes i had fun.
    PS I did not mention the story at all because its a shooter. Yes there is a story and its not really worth mentioning. Are you REALLY surprised??

Over all:
    Graphics 8/10 (setback water)
    Audio 9/10 (good soundtrack, nice voice acting i have to admit even if unecessary)
    Gameplay(single player) 7/10 (setbacks low difficulty, no bulletdrop, enemy AI, no real rpg however it tried - still 7/10 because its still fun and big and it has a bow)

Cheers! Biz
  96. Jul 12, 2013
    the story is staged perfectly. The theme of insanity is present all the way, be it in the form of the characters or in the form of cruelty and the craziness of events that can be found everywhere on the island(s). The music was breathtaking it's as simple as that. This music combined with magnificent sights and trippy cutscenes made for such an immersive experience! Besides Vaas is one ofthe story is staged perfectly. The theme of insanity is present all the way, be it in the form of the characters or in the form of cruelty and the craziness of events that can be found everywhere on the island(s). The music was breathtaking it's as simple as that. This music combined with magnificent sights and trippy cutscenes made for such an immersive experience! Besides Vaas is one of the greatest antagonists I've ever seen in a movie or a game. Besides the open world gameplay and the way battles play out is executed professionally. Overall a great 'trip'! Expand
  97. Jul 25, 2013
    COD in jungle? Nope, you are wrong. Far Cry 3 is way beyond that. It is like going on to an extreme holiday. It is a masterpiece, it is an experience. Graphics, check. AI and mechanics, check. Worth the every penny of your 60 bucks. Best FPS ever made.
  98. Dec 9, 2012
    So good its just not funny. A Blend of Skyrim with Contemporary setting, FPS with RPG, Open World, whats not to like? GFX push the boundaries and acting that is actually very good Vaas should win an Oscar.
  99. Dec 7, 2012
    My Game of the Year! A must buy for RPG and FPS fans- huge open world that feels very alive, tons of customization , open-ended game play decisions...
  100. Dec 5, 2012
    This is most impressive game since long after skyrim.PC owners should have strong PC though.Atleast gtx 650+ or AMD 6670+ should be there or it will lag as hell,Because the graphics in this game is masterpiece,Gameplay is fun,campaign also agreeable..Everything it worths..this game is worth for every penny.The game developers did everything all right......since they knew what they areThis is most impressive game since long after skyrim.PC owners should have strong PC though.Atleast gtx 650+ or AMD 6670+ should be there or it will lag as hell,Because the graphics in this game is masterpiece,Gameplay is fun,campaign also agreeable..Everything it worths..this game is worth for every penny.The game developers did everything all right......since they knew what they are doing and what the gamers want. Expand
  101. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. *Some spoilers*: POINT ONE: Ubisoft, the grand masters of screwing legitimate buyers with stupid DRM force you to install "Uplay". It's another crappy attempt at selling their games direct. Who knows what it steals from your PC (thanks Origin). It also doesn't really work with Steam. You have to access the game through Steam, but it's not visible in Uplay if you launch it by itself.
    POINT TWO: This game has been out for almost a week, but Metacritic kept claiming there were 4 days til release. I can only assume that's either a tactic to bump up the (always) ridiculously high "professional" critic reviews, or the people running this website don't know what they're doing.
    POINT TWO: Remember Far Cry 2, and how annoying it was? Like the endlessly re-spawning enemies at roadside shanties? The guns that broke in half? The myriad pointless assassination missions? The fact that is was endlessly boring after a while? The malaria? Well, Far Cry 3 is Far Cry 2 with most of the annoying parts removed and set in a tropical paradise. That's not a bad thing, but it's also nothing particularly special. We've already seen it before. The engine is the same, the graphics are largely the same, the gameplay is largely the same. It's good, but not great. They obviously listened to everyone griping, and just re-wrote the same game. There's hang gliders everywhere, guns that don't break, stupid AI and no malaria. Okay, so the AI is lame in both games, but that's how it is these days.
    POINT THREE: The story is much more prominent, but very cheesy and lite. So cheesy, in fact, that it's laughable at some points. Some user reviewer here said the story had them in tears! Bwah hah hah hah! But seriously, there's mystic powers, a magical self-inking tattoo and islanders with strong New Zealand accents. The nerds who wrote the story for this game are spotty freaks who, well, can't write a story worth a damn.
    POINT FOUR: It's easy. I mean _very_ easy. There's all this RPG-style stuff going on in the background, like learning new skills, collecting things to make stuff, but it's all unnecessary. I mean _completely_ unnecessary. Some things might be handy, like making a holster from wild goats to carry more guns, but you get decent guns everywhere, so why bother? You can also make syringes of medicine, but I've never needed them. Since you don't need any of it to play the game, what's the point?
    POINT FIVE: The driving is hectic. Sometimes a little too fast and overly-responsive, and every car seems to spin out as soon as you press the button that controls the pedal (if you get what I mean). POINT SIX: Some fun side-quests: "trials" where you kill as many baddies as you can in an allotted amount of time, hunt down animals, hunt down baddies, deliver medical supplies etc. POINT SEVEN: The graphics are okay, but basically the same as Far Cry 2. There are some neat vistas to look at, but they're not as epic as Far Cry 2. There was something about the African savanna that tweaked my noodle. A tropical island is overdone. If only they had released a patch for Far Cry 2 that took out all the crap parts and made it a great game. Oh, wait, Far Cry 3 graphics. Right. yeah, they're okay. Intense colours, nice water effects, black shadows around all the NPCs. DX11 lighting effects and all the rocks shine.
    CONCLUSION: It's pretty good as a game and it's growing on me. It will keep you entertained for a while, but it's not what the hype says (it never is). Re-playability looks pretty good. My disappointment is more due to the fact that it's just a remake of Far Cry 2, which means we've seen this all before. Nothing innovative, a lame story and the horrible, unnecessary Uplay application from Ubisoft that you are forced to install. Besides that, people have claimed on the Steam forums that the game is an "amazing experience". No, it's not. Watching the sun rise in Turkey while on a backpacking holiday is an amazing experience. Skydiving is an amazing experience. Having a new-born child is an amazing experience. This is a computer game. Big difference. Having said that, there is fun to be had, and it's not a bad way to waste $70 and hours of your life.

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013