8.1

1. Apr 14, 2014
    For the most part, I enjoyed the running around and clearing camps aspect of the game. I was hoping for a little more in the crafting department, but I was ultimately satisfied with what the game provided. What drove me insane about this game were the boss puzzles. Very rarely were they actually combat. Instead, you had to memorize the key combinations or beat the clock. These gimmicks get old very quickly.

The story and atmosphere of the game went a long way to diminish what could have been a very strong game. To put it bluntly, the game was one big cliche'. Every so called "twist" was so predictable as to be painful. I also find the concept of "experienced combat veteran" (Grant) getting killed in the first few minutes and "incompetent noncombatant becoming god of war" (Jason) one of the most annoying tropes ever. As mentioned in other reviews, Grant was the logical choice for being the hero.

I don't like "busy work" in my games. Having to collect x number of y objects is a surefire recipe to boredom. Some of the backdrops (namely ruins and submerged caves) made the process a lot easier, but truthfully I never intended to finish those mini-games. This is a common weakness among Ubisoft games.

Finally, I personally am not a subscriber to either tattoos or recreational drug use, both of which play a central role to the game; both in story and in gameplay. The whole glorification of substance abuse made the game so much less that what it could be.

Now on to some good stuff. The Dunia engine is amazing. I love the seamless transition between wandering the jungle, swimming in the ocean, finding an underwater cave and then swimming into an ancient ruin.

I had fun with the gunplay. I thought sniping a bit weak, especially with the .50 cal. A really powerful scope and you can easily hit something from 1k away. I realize why the sniping was clipped, but it was still a disappointment. I was glad to see that spreading fire carried over from Far Cry 2.

I was very grateful for the absence of many of Far Cry 2's mechanics. Weapons don't degrade that fast. Even the cheapest of weapons would last longer. Malaria was stupid. The perpetually respawning enemy outposts was also thankfully absent. I suppose it says something about a game when some of its positive aspects are omissions from its prequel.

The single most disappointing thing is that I saw the potential for the 10 scores that people keep throwing out there. It could have been "THE" game of the year. Whether it was lackluster development or different design philosophy, that potential was wasted.

Still wasn't as bad as Mass Effect 3.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    Two main reason I dropped this game:
    1. Cheap and exhausting interface, either the developer team is dumb or barely put any effort into it.
    2. Buggy, specially terrain reference... You're going to constantly stumbled unto some pebbles or terrain layer joints and have to jump over or press dash button again. Needless to say, it's annoying as hell when you have to deal such a thing in the
    heat of a battle. Other things like game broken bug - I encountered 2 place that get you stuck during one Monkey mission in the temple area. And finally a total blackout for no reason during a strong hold capture. Have those Ubi staff ever test play their f*cking **** Have they put the money supposed to go to the quality administration to make more promoting videos? Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    Great and fun game but it's too short! i would give a higher score if the story was longer, but i still love it! I hope the next game has a longer story ;)
  4. Mar 31, 2014
    just played first few missions or something, stopped at the mission repairing some boat or something. cant save my game though, maybe some bull-leavings glitch. didnt even bother to fix it cause the game is crap. graphics is scum of the earth for a game with lots of reputation. even the boring farcry 2 have stunning graphics though. this one is like you put farcry 1 in the toilet and you flush it and what comes out of the drain is farcry 3. TADAAAA!!! the island setting in farcry 3 is.... well, i dint like it. farcry 1 island setting is better though (cause it didnt get flushed out of the toilet, if you know what i mean). dont get me wrong, i like **** urmmmm, i mean beaches. but only in REAL LIFE not in games. only **** are fun in games and real life (maybe the developers are mistaken on this fact). thats all, i rate this bae on my enterained level. no offence to this game but this s the only fun i get from it. Expand
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    +Impressive Stealth
    +Weapon Customisation is a Lot of Fun to Use
    + Hunting Animals are Fun
    The Cons -
    - Vaas needed more screen time
    - Boss Battles are Quick Time Events

Overall Verdict -
    9/10 Incredible
  6. Mar 24, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is a game that is lovingly crafted and rich in detail. It is one of the few sequels that fixes the problems of its predecessor without adding [m]any new ones. Gone are the dreaded Malaria, gun jamming and check point respawn mechanics. I initially held off on Far Cry 3 upon its release and grabbed it as a bargain buy on Steam. However, I would happily pre-order the next title going by the quality of this one.
    Playing Far Cry 3 on a high end system is like taking a passport into a dangerous, virtual realm. It is captivating and will have you coming back for more.
    I cannot wait to see what Ubisoft come up with after this.
    I have given Far Cry 3 the perfect 10 as I feel that it merits the score based on the sheer amount of content and attention to detail (and being a relatively bug free experience).
    Ubisoft, I salute you.
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    It does nothing you haven't seen in 1000 other Games already! And I'm so sick of always the same crap only with a ne environment and new people! It's not an 0 but the score is definitely to high!! It has amazing grafics, but the boring gameplay ruins that all! All you do in quests is shoot yourself through dozens of ever the same (lame!) enemys, defend a position when a partner is working and take the nearest car and drive somewhere!! Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2014
    Generally a really well done, fun game but it cannot match the supreme experience of Far Cry 2 - though that in itself is no shame. The combat works well, the new takedown mechanisms add to the stealth options but in the end the AI is too blind for stealth to truly work and reach the same heights as in Far Cry 2. Stealth is most fun in the beginning before you realize just how close and visible you need to get to get caught. Once you realize that, you tend to stop trying.

I recommend Ziggy's mod for an improved challenge and gameplay experience but the vanilla is also an enjoyable ride if you like it easy.

The game starts off at its strongest point and then slowly slides. The first island is great fun and both exploring and fighting is just addicting. However, as you get all your skills, weapons and move on to the second island, it starts to slide slightly and by the end it's all routine. The story also falls short, unfortunately, and by the end it straight up stumbles. The ending, whichever you choose, is awful.

That said, the awesome graphics and fun game mechanics make this a great game overall and it should be played by any FPS fan. The best shooter made since its prequel.
  9. Mar 17, 2014
    What's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generaly It's a good and acceptable game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A mysterious story would be better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, so are all those explosions everywhere and action generally. The graphics are bad compared with the previous version which is very rich in graphics. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but I'm not playing it again. I think I'll play Far Cry 2 because I's balanced and complete in all aspects. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2014
    is the best shooter I ve ever played. I enjoy every mission. the voices and movement of characters are very good. there s no words to describe how good this game is...
  11. Mar 13, 2014
    This is possibly one of the worst written and acted games I have EVER played. The voice acting is so cringe worthy and atrocious that you will end up rooting for the bad guys to kill your character. The combat is much too easy with every human enemy dying in one or two rounds (or arrows) and animals being slightly harder. The graphics are the only thing worth giving a plus for, as the game drags on way too long with the dumbest story you will ever experience. A spoiled rich kid with a prepubescent voice killing off pirates that the local militia apparently aren't capable of. The weapons can all be obtained within a couple of hours as money is everywhere, and the Assassins Creed like radio towers provide them for free. On top of that, the game crashes every two hours without giving you a hint as to why. It makes me wonder if the professional critics played the same game as I did.

I give it two points for the graphics, but that is honestly the only redeemable thing about it. The experience was just loathsome, especially the voice acting will make you want to stop playing as soon as anyone talks.
  12. Mar 12, 2014
    Awesome game with an impressive open world; Lots of opportunities for wandering. A nice plot and well-made side missions. Far Cry3 is a perfect game. Salute to Ubisoft!
  13. Mar 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game I have played and I think that many people also liked it
    because the game has a good plot and a beautiful graphics similar to Crysis 3.
    I have rated this game on 9 because I saw some bugs for example: when I was
    bitten by shark, protagonist began to pull the bullet out of the hand. Another
    reason why you must play this game, it is the antagonist Vaas Montenegro
    (leader of the pirates). He is cruel and unpredictable also he is always
    swearing. Despite small disadvantages the game is interesting and very colorful.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great all-round game, but not without it's flaws. For example, the gameplay is great, the crafting fantastic, but the game seemed to get stale after a while for me (however I am used to the replayability of Skyrim). Also, there is some scenes incorporated that I wish had been left out (the Cirta boob scene for example): they're simply unnecessary for the storyline. So, an 80%, then. Expand
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    farcry 3 is like jurasic park expect you dont kill dinosuars . it is amazing and it is breathtaking and the best adventure creating the most epic brilliant game ever .
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    A wonderful game.

Enjoyable missions, varied tasks, a good story, an emotional connection to characters, minimal "grind" or "walking simulation". On the whole, a satisfying ride that I'll probably come back to again to play all the way through.
  17. Feb 28, 2014
    Far Cry 4 got me hooked, great graphics and gameplay, absolutely no crashed or stuff ups and good value for money too. Unlike it's predecessor I found myself more involved with the game, the story and characters. The side quests were a waste of time for me anyway which lets it down.

9/10 Rubber cookies.
  18. Feb 23, 2014
    Very satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, and something more serious like Skyrim where the story is pretty deep and enjoyable. Expand
  19. Feb 22, 2014
    I liked this game better then Far Cry 2, Far Cry 2 was too repetitive always the same situation shoot the truck over and over, even though this game was still repetitive it wasn't as bad as Far Cry 2. Pros *Graphics were good, jungle looked realistic (if a little too bright) *I liked the skill system *Good music *Nice variety of weapons shooting the animals in cages to kill off the enemy's was enjoyable

Cons
    repetitive
    annoying animal quick time events
    game too short just 10 hours
    long bosses left me feeling sea sick
    the plane part where they attack from all sides was too difficult
    lastly animals taking 2 full magazines to kill even if aimed directly at their head was way too unrealistic

I rate this a 5
  20. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is very unsafe for my son Tony. He drives in a car on a DIRT road with out a seat belt, Like seriously what were you thinking! Also the grass in this game along with other vegetation in this game are really off centered. I feel as though the grass shouldn't simply slide back and forth but perhaps go with the flow of the wind. Also my son can freely kill people? Why would you put this in the game? He needs to turn himself in this isn't right. Why do these people hate my son anyway he hasn't done any wrong and if he has i apologize on his behalf and i promise he will most definitely not ever do this again.

This is a message from the unhappy moms of America
    Good day
  21. Feb 20, 2014
    As a fat gay dad, I really enjoyed this game. The weapons are varied and the stealth is well realised. You can run over wildlife in this game. No penises or obese women.
  22. Feb 8, 2014
    Pretty good game, it would probably be 9/10 if it weren't for some techincal issues... Overall good story, plenty of action, gigantic world, spent almost 50 hours finishing this one, definitly recommended
  23. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is full of **** I don;t know where to start. In short, the only thing great is the graphics.

The map is huge, but tedious to travel around, especially at early stages of the game, when every few seconds a car full of enemies will pass by wherever you're at. If you decide to fight them, its an endless fight because they somehow keep spawning like rabbits. The animals are even
    tougher, as they are immune to headshots, which is a **** joke.

The looting system is crap. The hitbox for detecting the bodies is incredibly small, I practically have to be kissing the body to loot it. And even if I am pointing my crosshair at the body, the indicator is to loot the gun instead. And whats with all the 'hold button x' to do this or do that? If they are so afraid of us misclicking stuff, I cant count the times I mis-looted a weapon instead of a body.

The stealth is **** They cant see me crouching in the open, but can detect me even though I'm hiding behind a huge tree that completely blocks line of sight. Enemies can see through walls to detect dead bodies, instantly detects me when I make a sound by melee-ing the animal cage (was testing if i could melee to break the cage). Said cage was inside a vacant building.

Another stupid feature is the drag corpse perk. Its already stupid enough that jason has to learn how to move a corpse, the whole mechanic is just clumsy and ****ty. If you have played any decent stealth game like Dishonored or AC, you will know what I mean. In these games, you can just pick up the body, move and drop it anywhere. Here? You can only drag it like a **** while moving backwards, and the best part is, you cant even pick it up again if u drop it.

The story is laughable too. 19 year old party boy becomes a master of guerrilla warfare in less then 30 minutes. Side quests are boring and restrictive too. Stuff like restricting weapon required to kill with and the failing quests if moving out of area is just stupid and nowhere near Skyrim-like. To mention this **** game in the same breath as Skyrim is just insulting to the TES game.
  24. Feb 1, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the Far Cry series I did what is usually a mistake: I got extremely hyped for this game to come out and set my expectations very high - which usually leads me to being very disappointing; well, that is completely NOT the case with Far Cry 3! This game is the definition of action (and insanity :D)!
    PROS:
    +The world is massive! If you read my reviews you already know
    I go gaga over open world games.
    +This game has some of the best antagonists out of any other video game I have ever played! (The best villains would probably go to the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.)
    +Incredible voice acting! Like blow-your-face-out-the-back-of-your-head good voice acting!
    +The beginning of the game is extremely intense! You're constantly running from everything because you're weak and vulnerable (basically, you're a person) and you know a group of pirates or a single tiger can kill you - you get such a vivid painting of the terror of survival!
    +Related to the one above; this game executes the survival aspect superbly.
    +While it is reputation of Ubisoft to have cringe-worthy animations they do a really good job in FC3.
    +If you don't know already, you have the option to take over pirate camps - you have at least 3 ways to approach each base, so you can play your own style in this game - or even experiment with other play styles.
    +The story isn't incredible like lets say GTA V, or the Last of Us, but it is enjoyable and you'll remember it for a few years, maybe.
    CONS:
    -The story missions are linear. I don't know why they decided to do that, but they did: An example of this could be that when you take over a base you can do it half stealthy and half action, action, or stealth; the game in the missions supply you with an infamous yellow-bubble of linearness; this bubble makes you play the mission how it wants you to play the mission. Poor development choice if you ask me...
    -If you take over a pirate base they stop spawning in that area - which craps on the survival aspect the game does so well.
    Yes, yes, yes I would recommend this game to anyone - even if they don't like FPS games! It is so worth your money and if you don't have it, pick it up NOW!
  25. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favorites, FC3 is an amazing game.

For starters, the game is beautiful, and Rook Island looks amazing. The takedown mechanics are solid, stable and really fun! Shooting is satisfying, and also stable.
    But I do have some complaints about this. For starters, money becomes almost useless late game. You unlock guns after activating radio towers, so what's the point of buying
    them? Hunting can also be a chore, and sometimes the animals don't even spawn at their designated spawn ground.

The single player is the best feature of the game. It has a somewhat generic storyline to it, but it's not vital to understanding the game. You're some random kid who gets captured by pirates and now you have to save your friends from the hands of the island's mercenaries, pirates, etc...
    There aren't a lot of guns, but at least you can add modification attachments, and apply paint jobs to them. The environment is detailed and lush, and the graphics are fantastic.

I would give this game a 10, but the multiplayer is this game's Achilles Heel.
    The standard multiplayer is a generic pirate vs rakyat combat with no new innovation or fun. Leveling up isn't as rewarding or satisfying as leveling up in Battlefield. When I discovered that this game had a Coop mode and you could play with your friends, I was ecstatic! But when we finally played it, we were disappointed.
    The Coop is really just a set of really boring missions that revolves around stopping some captain or something, I don't know, i didn't pay attention to the story. Why couldn't Ubisoft make the Coop an open world mode? Imagine driving around Rook Island, you at the steering wheel and a friend in the turret, ready to take down pirates! That's what I was expecting, not the boring generic stupid coop missions.
    The missions hold no variety, there are quicktime events, you have to repair some random piece of machinery, you need to do this and do that, it gets very tedious after a while.
    Granted, the missions can be a little bit fun, but when you get up to the carrying missions, you wish you were playing the single player. There are times where you have to pick up bombs, missiles or other random crap and take it to a place. When you're holding the item, you can't sprint or crouch, you can't shoot. If your friend(s) can't defend you, you lose the mission! What a joke.
    Also, they removed the fire-spread system from coop. The flamethrower is incredibly OP when held by a flamer. It can insta-down you almost quickly, but the flamethrower in your hands is nothing more than a water gun.

Don't expect great multiplayer out of this. Only play the singleplayer.
  26. Jan 28, 2014
    The best gaming experience I have ever had. The game is so good. Perfect graphics, amazing gameplay and an open world. Feel free to have fun! Best game ever!
  27. Jan 25, 2014
    (Note: If you don't have a good computer, it will not run, and even if it does, it'll be extremely laggy.) This game is purely amazing. I'm a huge fan of open world games (Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, etc.) so when I saw this, I had to get it. It has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, and a open world as big as Morrowind. The RPG mechanics are pretty good too. If you are a fan of FPS, RPG, or Adventure games, this game is a must have. Expand
  28. Jan 24, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is without a doubt the high point of the franchise. After the lackluster Far Cry 2, it's great to see Ubisoft fix just about everything that was wrong with it. Fantastic visuals and optimization. The storyline is good, but not great. There are a lot of poorly fleshed out characters that I would have loved to get to know better, especially the friends that you spend the entire game trying to rescue. The story itself was a bit shorter than I would have liked. There needed to be more story missions where you interact with other characters. The difficulty was definitely too easy. They were definitely trying to appeal to the console crowd by making the game easier, but that's not what Far Cry is. The opportunity to plan attacks on outposts is great, but the lax difficulty means that this really isn't necessary. There were a few glitches and bugs that I came across but nothing that was really severe. However the biggest problem with the game is the multiplayer. Far Cry never was, and never should be, about multiplayer or Co-OP. Resources were wasted on both of these modes that could have been used to improve the singleplayer experience. Overall the game is absolutely fantastic. If they stop trying to appeal to console players and ditch the lame multiplayer and coop modes, then Far Cry 4 can be a complete masterpiece. Expand
  29. Jan 24, 2014
    Fine game, 7/10. Not the greatest experience, but kept my engaged somewhat throughout the game. The narrative did not seem coherent with the world. Made the experience suffer too much.
  30. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is simply perfect, story is best,characters are also impressive.In addition this game has best graphics,far cry 2 was not so much attractive but this is really a master piece. Its story has no link to far cry 2,pc version contains so much bugs like sometimes u cant pick up a weapon.For me,this game is capable of getting 9 at least.
  31. Jan 12, 2014
    Now that I replay this for the third time (the first 2 were on 360), I observe two things.
    That framerate does matter, as so the resolution. It is considerably better looking than the weaker console versions, but overall I would say that the experience is the same.

This is a huge game, with lots of fun to be had (you hear that FC2?) and it is every bit as enjoyable as I remember it.

The second thing I noticed is how bad the writing is. I didn't realise it the first two times but while the overall story is compelling, the actual characters (except from Vaas and Citra of course) are uninspired and really speak bad written lines. The side characters are all too forgetable and while I don't like the art style of this game much, technically the characters look all alike.

Thank god, I don't have to listen to them and I can go do lots of other activities,
  32. Jan 10, 2014
    0 for having to login to the damn stupid Uplay system, and then having found the key is associated with some other Uplay account that was auto-created by a Ubisoft Beta game I had access to, so now I can't play the game I bought and paid for.
  33. Jan 10, 2014
    Never played the first 2 games. So this is a brand new experience to me. Far Cry 3 Is a very good game.
    The story is at the top of it's game with interesting characters and lets be honest one of the most memorable side villains of all time in gaming, Vaas his appearances in game were my favorite moments in the game.
    The Open World element is strong too. Vast Jungles to the Open seas make
    this the most entertaining FPS of the year.
    The Multiplayer was mediocre but some features shined such as the Game Ending Cinematics with the top 3 players of the winning team and the best player of the losing team, The 1st place player of the winning team chooses to Spare or Kill the losing player, which I found very funny also the map edit feature was excellent as well.

34. Jan 10, 2014
    Та же проблема, что и у far cry 2. Быстро надоедает. Нет воздушного транспорта. Да и вообще военной техники. Только джипы и лодки с пулеметами. Как по мне, так бред. разве, что графика красивая. За это 3.
  35. Jan 5, 2014
    Only one thing, Incredible Certainly one of my favourite game.. Great grapichs, great story line and most of all great characters.. Pretty fun also the editor mod
  36. Jan 5, 2014
    This has absolutely been the most entertaining game I've played in a long time. The graphics are top notch, the action is top notch and on top of that it had a nice story.
  37. Jan 5, 2014
    Good game with great open environments. Story keeps you engaged and keeps giving you a reason to push forward. Eventually some of the open world aspects continue to feel repetitive. For the price I paid for this game (5 dollars) it was well more than worth my money.
  38. Jan 4, 2014
    Far Cry 3, exceeded my expectations. The only problem I had with this game other than some of the boxes when going on a sloped surface is that after finishing the game I lost the will to play it again for a long time, even though I told myself I'll complete all the side-quests.
    The story is amazing and it truly makes you feel a part of it. You develop feelings for characters, for some you
    feel sorry, some make you laugh and some you admire. Even the antagonists are characters you feel for them.
    The open world and the ways you reveal it are a big part of the game and it pretty much scores it.
    From the little things like driving, crafting or gaining skills to the shooting and completing the game Far Cry 3 nails it.
    All I can say is that I highly recommend every shooter and campaign enthusiasts to get the game.
    Multiplayer is great but nothing too special.

I can't wait for Far Cry 4.
  39. Jan 3, 2014
    Having played Far Cry 2 and getting bored before finishing it, I wasn't sure whether it was worth playing this, but it was on steam for 5 quid and a friend told me it was much better. He was totally right!! I really enjoyed playing through this game and even once the story missions was over I wanted to continue, which is rare for me.

I think the main improvements on the last game (which
    I can't remember all that well tbh) are the emphasis on hunting and crafting items and the storyline which I thought was strong if a little far fetched, but hey, we don't always play games/watch TV/read for realism anyway. I thought the voice acting was good especially from the various antagonists. Graphics as with FC2 are very good and ran well on my mid level machine after quite a bit of tweaking.

My main criticism of this game was no proper support for playing with both gamepad mouse and keyboard as driving is a right pain with the keyboard and I like to have the option when not engaged in combat to choose between the two (helps with the RSI's lol). The only reason I can think why they did this is because of the use of prompts throughout the game. Anyway I found a WORK AROUND of sorts which was to set it to gamepad (I used a wireless 360) and when I switched it off it automatically switched to mouse and keys, and back again when I switched back on. You'd think it would have been easy enough to automatically switch the prompts to the last input device used on the fly, right!?

If you're going to play this make sure you spend a good chunk of time early on, hunting, crafting, and capturing radio towers (unlocks weapons as well as maps). Also make use of the camera when preparing to raid a camp as it make life a lot easier, as do some of the syringes.

I'm giving this a 9 but it's probably more like 8.6

Funniest/Most disturbing moment of the game "You know...I never thought I'd be able to kill someone. The first time, it felt wrong. Which is good, right? But now...it feels like winning."

Probably gonna do some more "winning" on FC3 Blood dragon next or maybe Skyrim which I just got for dirt cheap off steam as well. Happy days :D
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    An way better experience than Far Cry 2
    Beautiful graphics great story and an whole tropical island for you
    It's an really great game and it deserves to be played
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantastic and make for almost believable cover. The sounds in FC3 really excel. The music always adds to the experience and the voice acting is some of the best I've experienced in a video game for a long time. The mechanics are not always intuitive, the takedown feature, after a number of upgrades, can rely on too many unintuitive key combinations at the same time. Besides this, the actual gunplay, stealth, driving and other upgrades are excellent examples of what modern shooters should aim for. An area that is very poor is the AI. It appears that to avoid the common stealth problem of having AI that automatically know where you are, the AI are completely dumbed down. They can track your last location correctly, but you will often see a guard walk straight past you when you are in plain sight. It must also be pointed out that story quests make heavy use of quick time events, these are a blight on games right now and they occasionally severely interrupt a cutscene. On the non-technical side, the story has some flaws. I went into this game expecting a fairly realistic game oriented around surviving being kidnapped and not being killed by the opposing faction, instead (spoilers) I found a game that behaves like a serious experience that I described, littered with some strange "magic" type story about tattoos and natives to the island. It should not have been in the game at all. The delusion and drug sequences were great, but they should have been oriented around drug usage or illness, not magic potions. The multiple choice ending was just utterly ridiculous. Why give us two choices that only affect the last 5 minutes of the cutscene at the end of the game? And why is one of them so utterly disappointing. The experience also drags on due to a lack of variation nearer the end of the game. You'll probably play around 30 to 40 hours of the game before this happens, so it's still absolutely worth the purchase. I recommend Far Cry 3. Despite all of it's flaws it has great gameplay, it is a fun and engaging experience, and it starts off brilliantly even if it doesn't last the full length of the game. Expand
  42. Dec 31, 2013
    Seriously? Far Cry 3? More like Far Cry 2.5 with newer graphics and higher system requirements. I was really looking forward to this game after reading the reviews. Ah the memories of the original Far Cry where it was new and original. I thought, hey, maybe they changed it up a bit. NOPE. Same old, same old. Driving, or fast traveling, from place to place. Radio towers to get to and sabotage. Repetitive missions. Hang gliding, zip lining. BORING. Same clunky weapons buying and upgrade system. Now need to craft bigger wallets, weapons belts, etc... So they mixed in Skyrim RPG elements of crafting into a FPS style game? And not only that, did it in a poor design? Running around killing animals located who knows where to make a new belt? Who thought up that horrible idea? I'd rather you have to find, or kill someone, to get that new weapon, or upgrade rather then swim around with sharks to make what I need. This game stinks.

Pros: Great graphics. Got it for $29 on sale at Target. Thank god I didn't pay full price. If you haven't played 1 or 2, then you'll find it a good game. If you've played either, then there is nothing new to see here.

Cons: Everything. Nothing fresh, nothing new. A game can't get by on looks alone. I don't mind game sequels, and some are great. However, this is just a dressed up, new version of what got boring and old in Far Cry 2.

Conclusion: I wish I hadn't spent $29 on this dung heap. Maybe a Steam sale at $7 or something, and just playing it to see the graphics and experiment if you were going to like the game and I'd be Okay with it. However, it is simply a terrible rehash of what is now a series that either needs a complete reboot or simply to go away.
  43. Dec 30, 2013
    If there is one thing I really like about games, its the ability to continue playing even after the story missions are complete. Far cry 3 gives you this in a number of ways, allowing you to have hours of fun after you play through the full story. Far cry 3 is a completely massive game, with pirate outposts, towns, wildlife, radio towers, memorable landmarks, temples, ect. The game feels alive, and sometimes when your just walking through the jungle your eye will catch a tiger chasing a goat, or a pack of dogs with rabies running down a deer. Or you might walk right into a little creek, then get jumped by a alligator. Little skirmishes between the jungle tribes are happening everywhere, and there is different types of side missions, that unlock as you liberate more pirate outposts. The more time you give into this game, the sweeter it is. Start liberating outposts, and your bulletin boards will fill up with work requests and side missions to entertain you further. Hunt animals for their hides, and you will be able to craft new gear and hostlers with the surprisingly deep crafting system, that allows you to upgrade your pouches and gear in a number of ways, craft a wallet to hold more money, or craft a fuel sling to be able to refill your flamethrower. Craft a extra weapon hostler to carry a sidearm if your a sniper-type player, or craft a rucksack if your the exploring, looting type. The story was good, and I''m not going to spoil anything, but it is a fairly mature story, with drugs, murdering, torture, ect. The gun-play is fun, and planning a strategy filled attack on a pirate outpost can provide endless fun, especially since there is virtually infinite ways to attack outposts, snipe people off with a sniper/assault rifle from a distance, go in with an LMG, screaming and throwing grenades at everything, or play it stealthily, with a silent but deadly recurve bow and a silenced sidearm. One other cool thing is that fire spreads, and that can result in some really fun to use tactics, such as smoking them out by tossing a molotov on the roof of the building, then blasting them away from the safety of a little sniper nest on the hill, or maybe waiting just outside with a shotgun.

I really enjoyed this game. 9.3/10.
  44. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the few single player game I've finished. Far Cry 3 offers a lot of freedom, but none i would spend too much time on. I found myself speeding through the main story-line, ignoring all the other content. The hunts, and quests were just icing on the cake, which didn't appeal to me, but did present itself in more variety to other players. There were many exciting moments that kept me drawn into the game, but in the end, it was nothing to remarkable. Nonetheless, Far Cry 3 is still a good game in the most parts. Expand
  45. Dec 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an excellent open world first person shooter with a very good story. The graphics are amazing and the vegetation is dense, but sometimes the island seems a bit empty. The characters are deep (particularly the villain Vaas!) and the story has some twists. The story is long and has cool cutscenes. There is much to explore on the island. You can craft things, but that is not necessary and more boring than useful. The KI is okay, the game is a bit too easy and the sounds are good. One of the best shooters of 2012! Expand
  46. Dec 27, 2013
    I have to say between 2012- 2013 i have bought over 20 games from GTA 5, Skyrim, to rome total war 2. yet this is the only game that i feel has a proper finished feeling to it! yes graphics and story is all good, but what really makes it special is the originality of the close quarters combat, not even Skyrim is close to it, which one would expect after having developed 3 before daggerfall, morrowing and oblivion, for a CQC game skyrim fighting is bulkish at best and nowhere near as original as far cry 3, i spend most of my time trying original ways to clear camps using cqc and is one of the reasons that have motivated me to finish it for a third time on very hard. the last time i was motivated to do so in a game was metal gear snake eater! by far one of the most polished games of the last 2 years Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2013
    Far Cry 3 was my favorite game from 2012. An open world game that gives you a ton of choice on how you want to approach different situations. The story is also a believable one as its main character, as the story progresses, begins to enjoy killing and satires all of the first person shooters where all you do is kill people. There are plenty of side missions, that include bounties and hunting the wildlife on the island. There is a lot of satisfying content in Far Cry 3. Graphically the game is phenomenal and the game is at just the right length to where you'll never say to yourself "Ugh, when is this gonna end?" Overall, Far Cry 3 exceeded my expectations and any gamer would enjoy themselves playing it. Expand
  48. Dec 25, 2013
    I originally wrote a terrible review for this game and frankly I am embarrassed by it. Once I took the time to learn the game and put thought into surviving in this amazing world, I realized that it is a true gem. Everything about it is perfection; the missions are fun and creative, the environment is beautiful and alive, and the hunting and foraging for the items you need to craft is brilliant. It is an environment that you can spend nearly endless time exploring and enjoying, whether it's daytime or nighttime or during inclement weather, this dynamic land will keep you engaged. This game takes the best elements of (the nearly good game) Far Cry 2 and perfects the experience. If you like open world sandbox games then you need to play this. Expand
  49. Dec 25, 2013
    An amazing immersive experience that blends elements from many other games. The story parts are well crafted, specially the characters and dialogues, and the game play is fluid and very polished. The only downfall of this game is that you will need a powerful machine to really enjoy it and that you will have to install Uplay, even if you are launching from Steam..
  50. Dec 25, 2013
    By far the best single player shooter I have ever played. I have psent over 200 hours playing this game and feel like I have barely skimmed the surface. The mission are thrilling, suspensful and comedic at times too (like buring down marijuana fields with flamethrowers). The different islands are huge and there are so many animals to hunt, so many collectibles and so many things to unlock that one can barely ever finish this game. The characters are extremely memorable and the two big bad guys are frightening as well as completely mad. I was so drawn into thsi game that I played it for over 15 hours the first day I got it. the multiplayer is a blast aswell, and I spent many horus playing both with my friends and against them. YOU MUST BUY THIS, IT IS AS CLOSE TO PERFECTION AS A SHOOTER WILL EVER GET- Expand
  51. Dec 22, 2013
    This game is definitely one of the best/my favorite games of all time, I've spent countless hours playing this game all night leveling up, hunting, killing, and progressing through the amazing story.
    I give Far cry 3 an 10/10. I hope more people buy this masterpiece of a game to enjoy the same experiences I did.
  52. Dec 21, 2013
    Bought the game off steam after it had been out a while as I heard a few people weren't too happy with it. Only paid 20 bucks I think. After 30min of play I am pretty disappointed too due to the dumbing down effect the game forces you into. Even the loot and money are visible on your HUD. I doesn't really feel like you are in any danger at anytime when engaging in gangs as the AI is pretty stupid and even on hard settings just not challenging.

The game becomes very repetitive very quick due to just capturing radio masts and moving to the next one. Probably worth $15 to $20 in terms of eye candy and content. But I wont be buying any more Far Cry franchises regardless of price. Bought Far Cry 2 too and this series is done.
  53. Dec 16, 2013
    As a player of FarCry 2 i was impelled to try this. I waited for it to come out on sale in case i was upset. the only thing i am upset about id not getting it sooner. What a stunning game. So much to do and see, it can keep you entertained for hours on end. Fantastic. Takes some getting used to in my opinion but its great.
  54. Dec 9, 2013
    The game itself is addicting, the bugs however are the intervention. The game is legit a bug fest with frustrating game breaking issues that made me throw my hands up in the air and say eff it. When a game tells me to use the optimal settings (which are 1080p at max settings mind you) it should not look like its trying to drag itself out of a potato sack 3,000 miles to middle of nowhere. That's what the game does, drag out. I've hand multiple bugs, one of them looking like Missing-No from Pokemon Red and Blue Sprite popping up on my mini-map or textures. Long story short: THE GAME IS NOT READY AND WAS RELEASED WITH A NEST OF BUGS TO BREED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. FIX THIS GAME UBISOFT. Expand
  55. Dec 7, 2013
    Don't buy this game for multiplayer buy it for its awesome and intense single player campaign that has all the things you want for a first person shooter and open world game all on one disc
  56. Dec 5, 2013
    This game was absolutely amazing there was a beautiful environment large crafting system wide selection of weaponry there were only a few bad things such as occasionally bad A.I the game got a bit TOO easy but that didn't spoil my love of this flawless game. I highly recommend this game!
  57. Dec 3, 2013
    Trailer was right about this game this is one tropical adventure you don't wanna miss Even if you don't like FPS games give this one a try it's not a cod-style rail shooter it's a huge sandbox where you are given tools and the more creative you are with them the more fun you have.
    Also it's absolutely gorgeous and tells a cool story, that maybe is a tiny bit naive in some parts put is
    still very immersive and believable.
    There is a rather simple but satisfying crafting system where you have to hunt animals to improve capacity of ammo, syringes (that you also craft) and other useful stuff. Hunting in this game is probably the best ever created, and it goes well with superb visuals and sounds.
    Flaws? Well, the game can get a little bit repetetive, I wish AI was better and used more tools, for example RPGs and flamethrowers are not used by enemies at all, so are mines, C4, and the list goes on and on leaving only enemies with assault rifles, shotguns and sometimes sniper rifles. The AI is by no means stupid, enemies take cover and cooperate to take you down, it's just a little bland.

I would give this game a solid 10/10, but on my PC it only ran on low (still best game I ran on my PC) and I just can't give it a 10 because of that, I give it a 9 instead but if you have a monster PC it's 10 no doubts.
  58. Dec 1, 2013
    UPLAY ruined this game..... If not for this stupid draconian DRM scheme the game might be worth playing, but as it stands I count it as money wasted.
    Watch out for more garbage to come from Ubisoft. I heard they were changing back from this garbage..... I was wrong.... Guess I need to take them off my buy list entirely....
  59. Nov 23, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a good game, that most people will enjoy playing. There's a lot to do (campaign, taking over camps, exploring the map, hunting beasts, even playing poker), and all of this is worked out well. Storyline is okay, but not great. Pro's: - Fun Campaign - Large weapon arsenal - Always something to do - Tropical setting - Online co-op - Choosing your own play-style (stealthy or not)

Contra:
    - Online co-op missions are somewhat long 40 mins), and you can't choose a lobby for a specific mission
    - Annoying parachute
  60. Nov 22, 2013
    The graphics are absolutely amazing, I'm running a Radeon HD 7770 with settings on "Ultra". I'm a big fan of Far Cry 2 and these visuals are much more polished and photo realistic in my opinion. While this game does have RPG elements it is not Skyrim, and really shouldn't be compared to Skyrim. This is a shooter in an "open world jungle island" setting with a somewhat linear plot(when you're focusing on the plot). Compared to other shooters like COD and Bioshock the controls are very tight and responsive and do not disappoint. The weapons are nicely detailed and can be customized to fit your play style. The cookie cutter enemy pirates and taking over camp after camp can get be a bit repetitive, but you really have a lot of freedom to have fun with it. There are many interesting ways to take over an enemy camp, lots of freedom. The menu system can be rather maddening, mostly to do with mouse lag in menus(there may be a way to fix this but it hasn't bothered me to that point). The story isn't Oscar worthy but it definitely has it's awesome moments, cut scenes are well rendered and quite gorgeous. I haven't played much multiplayer but it seems very much like COD, I definitely need to find someone to do co-op missions with. Overall I think Ubisoft did a really good job with this one, I'm on my second play through and still having a blast. I'd highly recommend to anyone who enjoyed Deus Ex, Bioshock, Crysis, or even the recent GTA games. I do hate to compare it to other games though seeing as Far Cry has kinda become it's own genre. Expand
  61. Nov 20, 2013
    Amazing game, has everything going for, great gameplay, great story, great graphics, you can't go wrong here. AI may not be the best but is not bad either. Overall this was a great experience that every real gamer should play.
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    Game is borked due to uplay bug and drm. Played intro, had to leave, now my key is invalid and i cant play it no response from ubi support. 30 minute game is bad and not fun 0 score
  63. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played.
    I did not expect it to be so good, I was expecting a linear, boring game play with a predictable ending but it was so good that I will play it again some time in the future.
  64. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful. A real, detailed open world where hunting humans is (partially) the name of the game. Superbly immersive and repairs the errors made by far cry 2.
  65. Nov 10, 2013
    A total turn of events, the expectation was so high that this game let me down.
    Apart from multiplayer there's nothing interesting to be done after completing the game plot which by the way seemed to me another let down, whipping Vaas out of the frame so ungracefully just like Bane was trashed out in Dark Night
    The good parts are all there but it especially leaves the feeling of
    unfinished everything but the graphics, sadly. Expand
  66. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know, this game got some great reviews and is fairly popular, I'm just not on that bandwagon though.
    Lets start with the graphics, nothing to say against it here, except the terrible graphical glitches I couldn't get rid of such as grey boxes around some objects. Then there is the gameplay, it's way too repetitive and not that fun to be honest. Go to a camp, kill a bunch of guys in red, rinse and repeat.
    Some missions on the other hand were pretty awesome, such as burning a weed farm with an iconic song playing in the background, who cares that the mission was nearly impossible to successfully complete The main problem with this game, which resulted in a 20% drop in rating from me is the atrocious story. What is this crap? First I want to get off this island full of pirates, maniacs and lunatics and then I start helping one group of those lunatics against another group of lunatics in a fight for the island that I shouldn't give a crap about in the first place? And how the heck did I turn from a scared boy that had no experience with weapons into the ultimate killing machine? And the ending, no comment, slice the throat of my girlfriend and go have intercourse with a crazy shaman that ends up killing me, why even include such a stupid option in the game?
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    An absolutely stellar game full of open-world exploration, hunting, tons of fun and entertaining side missions. Some reviewer said that this is like the Skyrim of FarCry, and I can see why. It's just so much fun to hunt deadly animals in the jungle, and then use its skin to make your wallet and backpack bigger. This game has so much emphasis on the character development, it's absolutely impossible to believe this game came from the same developers that made Far Cry 2, a game was about as characteristic as a rock. This game's also a lot more like Far Cry 1 than it is like Far Cry 2. So if you were a Far Cry 1 fan who was disappointed in FC2, this game might be more down your alley. Expand
  68. Oct 27, 2013
    One of the best games out there in the FPS line of games. I has a lot of play time and a great replay value. (one of the best ever for a FPS game) It has solid controls and Effing great graphics. the crafting is spot on and the AI is on the high side of decent. The Multiplayer is great! it even has its own map editor! but the Uplay crap gets VERY annoying at times. and it requires a Pretty impressive CPU to run. 9/10 Expand
  69. Oct 25, 2013
    I think this game is one of the best games ever,because this game is really. I like this game ,because here is very nice missions and quality. This game can be the best game of 2012 years.
  70. Oct 24, 2013
    Its a good shooter with a pretty good storyline. The only thing that I somewhat disliked was the money and animal skin grind. I got it on Steam for a great price with all the downloadable content. The ai could use some tweaking. The environment is stunning. With lots of side quests.Overall its a fun game that had me playing hour after hour.
  71. Oct 23, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an amazing First Person Shooter! You will love the voice acting done by Vaas, the visuals, the music, and the game play! It is defiantly worth putting up with UPlay for!

What's Here: You start out as a scared and wimpy character who as he kills slowly becomes more and more a scary insane badass willing to do anything to get his revenge. You can customize the guns to your
    style of play and you can take two different approaches most of the time to your style of play. Stealth or Run n' Gun. You may also explore the island and take on different missions and side quests as well. Although as the story progresses it takes a sharp decline as one of the protagonists just vanishes and makes you question a lot of things. I don't like to talk about the story much so if you play you can find out.

Gameplay: The game plays out like your usual FPS where you run shoot climb shoot duck shoot and overall just slaughter your way through thousands of enemies. So yeah it's generic but how it unfolds is where it's at! You can make the game a whole lot easier by doing the side quests and outposts and becoming a much more stronger Warrior and taking on Vaas and Hoyt's armies. The hunting is truly done well as each section has their own environments and you can even watch animals hunt other animals. Which brings me to my next part.

Visuals: If you have the PC for it you'll defiantly see it! WOW! JUST WOW! The island is just beautiful. The lush trees. The animal designs. The water. The beach. The gun designs. Nothing beats seeing it all while on your hand glider too! it's a real breath taking experience seeing it all on Ultra. Ubisoft really outdid themselves here!

Sounds: While music isn't all that great but it's not bad just doesn't stand out the voice acting deserves massive amount of credit here. Michael Mando playing the part of Vaas really out did himself here. You'll want to play the game again just to hear the parts! It's so amazing! The guns have stellar sounds as well. No complaints here on them as they sounded pretty damn good. When explosives go off near you and how sounds knida mute out and you get dizzy that was well done as well it pulled me in and made me think I was in the fight.

Controls: While keyboard and mouse are difficult for driving at times for me they may not be for all I found it a lot easier on gamepad to drive than anything else but I learned... well a lil after so many hours of game play. I still suck though. So driving is difficult but everything else works great! No problems handling the hand glider or driving (with my gamepad) or shooting at all. Extremely responsive and no bugs or glitches to report on my end.

Overall: This game is a 9/10! It loses points because the story towards the end was just down right boring and generic. Though there were some parts that made me cringe and go wow... what the I would defiantly recommend this game to everyone.

Warning: This does require UPlay which is a huge disappointment! I was extremely pissed off at first but the game is still a 9/10... I just hate Ubisoft for doing this
  72. Oct 20, 2013
    While this game is not perfect it is definitely a great game and ticks enough boxes to earn 9/10. My only big complaints are the QTEs that are a form of game-design-pollution that must disappear. The island is a masterpiece of landscape/level design. The shooting mechanics are excellent. Skill trees and challenges do the job. The story is GREAT, and the NPCs are well written and well acted. The game is good for 2 play-throughs. Multiplayer is pretty good as well. As for the Ubisoft layer of DRM, its a big negative and a total waste of time.

Orctowngrot
  73. Oct 19, 2013
    This is a solid game with entertaining open world game play. There is a large world to explore with tons of content. The graphics and atmosphere are top notch. I would give this game a 10 but....The game falls down a bit with the contrived ultra grim-dark story and the accompanying story missions. The story missions break from the majority of the game play, forcing you into linear missions and/or QTE. Expand
  74. Oct 17, 2013
    This game reminds me of Skyrim in many respects. You given a set of tools, and largely left to your own devices as to how to complete the assorted tasks available. Conquering bases and towers across the map is never boring. Hunting is a slow, but enjoyable task it also allows for a lot of emergent gameplay experiences when other predators turn up and interrupt your hunt.

The story is
    pretty good too, at least for the first half of the game. Expand
  75. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel the game was overall enjoyable, I like the range of weapons and customisations to choose from and the stealth aspect was quite enjoyable and often a good option as on harder difficulties trying to fight multiple enemies became a challenge. However the story, which was promising, became very anti-climatic and lack lustre. I also feel the combat became far too easy when you could simply inject yourself with a syringe to instantly heal or even become invincible (no really) for about 30 seconds, and then pump another when that ran out. The quick heal option and the enemy tagging (which allows you to easily keep track of where enemies are as you can see them through walls) made stealth relatively easy. I found the hunting better than most games but it soon lost meaning as I crafted all the items that needed to be crafted there was no reason to return. Side missions were truly poor and the voice acting terrible for the minor characters. The main and supporting characters (like Vaas, Hoyt, Buck and Sam) are surprisingly well acted with real emotion in their voices and genuinely interesting characters. Overall the gameplay makes it quite enjoyable but the story and side quests let it down, and if your wondering how long it would take to complete my total gameplay hours were about 9 hours (and that was doing everything in game accept from collecting all loot chests/letters and relics). Expand
  76. Oct 13, 2013
    I can't say I did not enjoy the game but being more of a storyline guy I must say I got a little bored pretty soon.... I found the main storyline to be short and not at all surprising... No twists or anything.. On the bright side there are a lot of misc. things to do while you are exploring the map which indeed adds to the depth and and the timespan of the game... Hunting Exploring Taking Down Radio Towers and capturing enemy bases are just some of the things you can do on the island but I found that even these activities get a little boring after a while... Expand
  77. Oct 6, 2013
    This game has been done before, better and with a much more polished feel to it. It's called Just Cause 2. Except that game ran a lot better, with half of the system requriements and yet with a great graphics. Again, I don't know what has driven game reviewers to give 90+ scores, since the game gets very old and very fast, doing the same thing over and over again. And the killing of animals and making various tools out of them to hold more ammo or more health packs is just ridiculous. Technically, it's an unoptimized mess if you ask me. glitches, ugly textures and weak AI. This game was already done years ago, better and cheaper. Expand
  78. Oct 1, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game right from the start to the end. Its as good as the first Far Cry in terms of approaching the missions in your own way. The graphics, music and level design is really good and the story keeps you interested right to the end. Its a great sequel and well worth buying.
  79. Sep 27, 2013
    A great game that checks all the right boxes. Finished it as of tonight and although I took my time, it's worth it. Some say the story was cliche and cheesy but it felt like a good fit for the game. It was not the best as it was repetitive, but so are all Far Cry games to a great degree. If you want to play a shooter with a good story tons of action and takes some time to finish, pick it up.
  80. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is at best, average. The side missions are dumb. You have all these kinds of guns but you are limited to using a knife on missions. Each outpost you must liberate are basically the same. 4 enemies, kill them all then it's yours. It gets pretty repetitive. Not to mention that there is no point in exploration in this game. Once you are done in an area, there's no point in going back to it, because it will stay that way the entire game, it will not be re-conquered by bad guys or some other scenario, it's very static, not a dynamic world.
    It would have been more interesting if there's constant fighting between the rebels and the pirates, where you could jump in and be the difference maker, but there is no such thing in Farcry 3.
    It's a single play-through game that's not worth 60 bucks retail.
    I would not advise in getting the mods for this game as many of those things replace binaries, which could be a carrier for a trojan virus. Mods are done by strangers, not an official company.
  81. Sep 24, 2013
    Such a complete game. It mixes quite well adventure and action. Just focusing on the story it would have been a regular game, but the details really max out the entire game. I really had fun playing it.
  82. Sep 23, 2013
    If you're a fan of beautiful landscapes and amazing story, than Far Cry 3 is for you. This game had some of the best graphics and textures in a video game, and if you think you have seen the best looking water in a game, think again, because Far Cry 3 has the best looking oceans and rivers I have ever seen. The story is one of the best I have ever experienced. One of the best endings in a video game. Fantastic writing. Only problem I had were occasional graphical pop-ins, but nothing severe. Expand
  83. Sep 21, 2013
    Thank you Ubisoft for more than 30 hours of pure fun!
    The game is really great, and there is so many opportunities. I'm so close to give this game 10 straight, but there are a few things i feel like there's missing. A thing i would really have loved would be if you could play through the whole game in CO-OP, and not just play some special missions.
    Also i wouldn't recommend just trying
    to finish the missions/extra missions, spend some time looking around the Island, and discover some of the secret places. If you're just trying to finish the objectives you pretty much repeat the same route over and over again, which is not funny:
    You clear a mission You activate the nearby radiotower You clear the outposts in the new area ->You clear the missions that you unlock when you get a new outpost.
    I haven't had any problems with this, since im spending alot time exploring the island, killing animals to upgrade my capacity, and finding plants to get the best possible medicin. I also love to try new tactics at every outpost and see what works out best.
    IMPORTANT: I'm not trying to decide how you wanna play the game, it's just a heads up since it's something i've been thinking about when i unlock new radio towers.
    There are just so many cool features in this game, that i decided to look at some of the less fascinating things about this game.
    What i thought after a while in Far Cry 3:I bought this game on Steam when it was 50% off (Price was 15 Euro) and now i allmost feel bad i didn't pay full price for this awesome game!
    Im waiting for ya, Far Cry 4!
  84. Sep 21, 2013
    I've only played the campaign, which took about 20 hours, and there is still a ton for me to do on the map... so this review is primarily based on the campaign. If you can judge the quality of a game by the lack of work and sleep one achieves while playing it, than this is great, possibly a 10, but I don't hand out 10's easily. I often found myself in 3hour gaming sessions (not normal for me) and up at 3am. It's quite the ride. Some say it's dark, but I found it flat-out hilarious. Whatever that says about me. Highly recommended; while I waited for this to come on sale before purchasing (wasn't sure if I'd like it), I will certainly purchase FC4 immediately when it comes out, it's worth the full price.
    My only con for not being a 10 is some of the gameplay buttons are a little unresponsive, ie. "Hold Q to heal" sometimes I'm holding Q while this is up and nothing happens, sometimes I tap Q and it heals, sometimes it's a bandage, sometimes it's a syringe, sometimes it does nothing still (yes, my keyboard works fine); can't figure it out and I usually NEED it then, it's more like MASH Q TO HEAL AND HOPE at that point.
  85. Sep 20, 2013
    I started out hopeful that the game would be as good as Far Cry 2 and was very quickly disappointed. I thought I set all video to the highest possible settings and the movement was so fluid as to be unplayable. I kept overshooting the mark on the opening chase and everything looks like flat decals with weird black halos that I guess are cheap imitations of shadows. I later found an additional video settings menu that allowed me to set everything to ultra and then set the sensitivity settings to zero, that slowed movement enough to make the game playable. The user interface is has a very steep learning curve, why are they trying to re-invent the wheel? I have to log into steam to start the game which only starts uplay, then I have to wait for it to update, then log into uplay and finally i can start the game which takes kinda long to load screens. After 47 minutes of play time I am not enjoying myself. Ubisoft you lost me, at least I waited until it was on sale, but I still wish I had not spent the money. I will be extremely wary buying games from now on. Expand
  86. Sep 20, 2013
    I felt like opening a Pandora's box when trying to determine the score for this game. If you compare it to games of the modern era only, it's hard to not give it a 10. If you look at it more broadly though, the score drops.

Far Cry 3 is a Ubisoft game through and through. Their niche seems to be GTA-inspired sandbox games (AC, FC, SR). FC3 is exactly that. I was going to call it "GTA on
    an island" first, but that's not really fair. Then again, it's not completely wrong either. The game also seems to borrow small elements from AC series, which depending on your point of view can either be a good or a bad thing.

As for my opinion, the story and setting were really solid, even if a bit schizophrenic. The main character is more or less an ordinary guy with no goals in life, but then he finds some and becomes an elite commando army of one. There's some voodoo and stuff like that involved though. And that really sets the tone of the game. It's not really meant to be a realistic simulator, although it may look to do that on the outside. When you get deeper into it, you'll see that the game is full of supernatural elements as well and as such, the fact that you can see all the points of interest on the minimap automatically didn't really bother me. I especially liked how the game handled some bossfights. Not necessarily because they were QTEish, but because if they were normal shooting gallery sequences, that would've just sucked.

Other strong points were equipment customizability, animations, level of detail, voice acting, some of the dialogue, sidemissions that were actually fun and last but not least, the fact that you can just roam around the map doing whatever you want. The game also looks damn gorgeous with all the graphics turned high.

As for the bad side of things, well, the combat isn't really made to be challenging or balanced. As such, the ugly side of modern gaming raises up it's head once more. This game isn't hard. It's easy, even. And once again, it's a bit spoonfeedy. Despite that, I think it keeps itself together really nice.
    I didn't try multiplayer, but co-op was a useless tack-in to boost sales. There's also level-grinding and stuff like that involved in the multiplayer/co-op, which I don't approve of.

To explain what I said earlier about the score of the game dropping if you rate it taking into account more than just the modern era, I mean that this game doesn't necessarily offer a whole lot of new things, and I think it does things a bit tongue-in-cheek to compensate for that. But then, it's such a well-executed, fun and high production value package that I can't just go full cynic on it.

Don't take this game too seriously and you'll have a fun ride that can last up to 30 hours.
  87. Sep 12, 2013
    I can't really judge the content, i couldn't go far enough. The game is so bugged i raged quit. My PC is well above recommend hardware but i still experienced constant stuttering even on low settings. The stuttering is not the only anoyance you get stuck in stairs and doors; you have to jump through some of them
  88. Sep 11, 2013
    The open world is a good thing, but the gameplay isn't working very well. Jumping, climbing and going over obstacles is quite frustrating because the character has problems with two inch high stairs and to low corridors. This becomes very annoying when you go to a mission where you have a time limit and have to run through buildings and when you cannot complete the mission (mostly because of the problems with the character getting stuck to stairs and such things) the game reloads back to the start of the mission with time limit and there is no way to abandon the mission. Expand
  89. Sep 10, 2013
    First, I want to start with what I like. I like the variety of weapons, I like the island, and the various things you can go around and do to get money, XP, and materials for crafting. Sure, it might feel repetitive, but I'm one of those players that has no problem grinding if I feel like I'll get good rewards, in this case better equipment and skills. What's more is that you have the opportunity to do this early game and level yourself before having to progress through the story, making parts of the game much easier on yourself.

My big gripe with this game has to do with overall sluggishness of the combat system and the unintuitive controls for a lot of different things. A great example would be animals who are predators. Yes, you can dispatch them relatively easily with a machine gun or something similar, but by doing that you risk alerting everything within 100 effing miles. While you get silent weapons as you progress, they're simply not meant for handling a pack of wild dogs, for instance, and your melee is so terrible that it's a huge pain to actually deal with this garbage. There's no reason you should have to work so hard for such a simple enemy. Hell, the guys who are supposed to be "hard" are easier to deal with.

I'm also not a fan at all of having to "hold" a button to activate something. Why is it I have to hold E to loot something as opposed to tapping it like every other game? Not a clue. It makes a tad more sense when targeting enemies/creatures, but when you get noticed, why is it that the game can't just automatically target those for you? But, what really confuses me is how you can get hit out of other activities, like skinning an animal. If you start, you have no choice but to finish the action, no matter how many bullets they feel like putting in you. At least give me SOME sort of defensive action for these scenarios.

And I can't tell you how much I hate driving in this game. I avoided vehicles for most of the game because of how terrible they handle. Basically, if I could run somewhere, I would do it even if it took me an hour. Thankfully, the fast travel system is really good in this game, so doing that wasn't too bad. (Dead Island has the same issue, too.) Why they couldn't make that 3rd-person is beyond me.

I also LOVE doing takedowns... but I HATE how skittish the takedown system is. The system will often deny you a takedown with really no rhyme or reason. What's worse is that if you mess it up you're likely to eat a gun-butt to the face and then get pelted with bullets. Really, though, this "skittishness" is everywhere.

Lastly, I hate the main character. It might sound stupid to some, but the guy you play looks like a preppy douche. I noticed some reviews saying how it really made no sense how this skinny, whiny dude can suddenly progress into a Rambo-esque monster... and I completely agree. It just pains me that I have to play this crappy character. It almost made dying so many times easier. (Almost.)

Ultimately, I gave this a 5 only because I did get my money's worth. I happened to get the game on sale AFTER they lowered the full-price to $40 and I actually used credits for most of the purchase, so it wasn't too bad of a deal. I would've been pissed had I spent $60 on this game, and I would honestly recommend getting Blood Dragon over this game. Your character is way more awesome, which tends to make the system flaws far less noticeable, and the story is AMAZING. Go play that. Don't get this. (Or, at least, not for full price.)
  90. Sep 4, 2013
    A great game and my personal favourite. It did everything that far cry 2 didnt. It is not skyrim with gun it is wayyyyy better. And every mechanick in the game was really good
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    I have 30 hours logged in on this game in steam, and i still haven't beat the game there is that much content. Wrap your brain around that. Its Skyrim with guns. It has a great story, and on of the most memorable villains i have ever seen who deserves to be a fan favorite. I love this game. Its woth paying for this game even if the games story takes a turn for the worst at the end.
  92. Aug 27, 2013
    By the end of the game you will have a choice which will play one of two outcomes, and I have to say I was extremely surprised how the game ended because it left myself on a cliff hanger I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next? So will we see a Far Cry 4? Time will tell.
  93. Aug 27, 2013
    The same as the 360 version but with some amazing graphics,better controls and the map editor is much better than before so buy its cheaper so well buy it and the opptunity for mods
  94. Aug 24, 2013
    Are critics paid to write so positively about this game and gave it an average 9? If I am to quantify the game with a number, it wouldn't be anything higher than a 4.

The fact that they put a nervy, squeaky, cowardly spoiled middle-class little brat as the protagonist has already killed 50% of the mood of anyone who tried to play it. It was hard to identify yourself with the main
    character and immerse yourself into the game if the voice actor, perhaps as the game design intended, sounds like an immature 17 years old. The constant unpleasantness of the voice only becomes more unbearable as you continue to play with the slightest hope that this game has more to offer to overshadow its flaws.

But then the clunky inflexible control which forced sprint command to a toggle as opposed to hold-to-sprint (can you believe that?), and the faster-than-should-be walk speed killed any last hope you might still have for the game. The UI design was so bland and uninspired, you might think the game designers had copied it from games from 1996. At some point you realized, if you tab-out and tab-in again, the mouse function would no longer work and you'd have to restart the game for it to work again. At that precise moment you further realized this game doesn't have a proper, game-friendly save system, and you're forced to work in missions for mission checkpoints, the only thing that saves your game.

The overall game mechanic and graphic style are basically the same as that of far cry 2 or fallout new vegas. You thought you might be getting something big with FC3, seeing how games like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 had pushed graphic realism to a ridiculous level. But in FC3 all you get is disappointment through and through. To put things into perspective, Far Cry 3 is like casting Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs in an already uninspired, poorly scrambled screenplay.

It's hard to quantify with a number but for a game as broken, unpolished, and mediocre as FC3, this game deserves 4. And to counterbalance the fact that the game is badly overrated and will continue to victimize consumers who may be be ill-informed about the game, I voted 0.
  95. Aug 9, 2013
    The Good: A very good to great game engine, nice art, fun visual themes and environment.

The Bad: Confused user interface, The game mechanics, economy, etc. are a bit week, but the killer is the game is tied to an inconsistent, forced, unbelievable, immature, and poor to bad plot that took this game down for me from fun to un-enjoyable.
  96. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could of got 9/10 and i will now explain why i didnt give it 9/10 by pointing out the negatives and then the positive's. I just want to say this game is AMAZING, but short lived. Now i will explain :

The Negatives:
    1. The game gives an illusion of having massive re-playability but doesnt have any.
    2. It lacks content outside
    the main story.
    3. The game gives you no reason to complete side quests.
    4. The open world is boring unless your in a mission.
    5. It could of been so much more.
    6. Once the main story ended i felt like OMG this was AMAZING but what do i do now?
    7. Once You finish the main story you are left with no reason to play the game again.
    8. The multiplayer sucks, i did not include this in my rating, it has nothing to do with the single player.

The positives:
    1. The voice acting is AMAZING.
    2.The characters are AMAZING.
    3. The storyline is AMAZING.
    4. The main story missions are EPIC.
    5. The game is so much fun.
    6. Hunting animals is great.
    7. Collecting plants is great.
    8. The weapons are awesome.
    9. The world looks beautiful.

Overall i give this game 8/10. Once you finish the main story you are left feeling like something is missing in the game now, it gives you no reason to carry on playing, unlike games like Grand Theft Auto in which you can replay over and over for months after you have finished the main story.

If there is a Far Cry 4, it needs to build on the open world aspect and give you more to do once you finish the game, the game has an amazing story but falls flat in the open world experience.
  97. Aug 3, 2013
    Wow! This is the most incredible game, both visuals-wise and gameplay-wise, that I have played in a very long time! It looks beautiful on max settings. There is always so much to do, be it a side mission, hunting (which, unlike in other games, is essential to progressing), and just exploration of the huge map in general. However, it sometimes can feel like not a lot is going on, and I'll often find myself driving for 10 minutes or more with nothing happening. But other than that, this is a very solid title. Great job! Expand
  98. Jul 31, 2013
    Maybe it is because I liked Far Cry 2 so much. No maps showing everything, you had to look and listen to survive. Far Cry 3 is the opposite maps show everything. Then they added stupid mini missions.
    The only way to get improvements is killing deer pigs, and dogs. Sick...
    After over 200 games first one I will not finish..
  99. Jul 28, 2013
    Mixed bag playing it again on pc. I love that I can disable the HUD and that but having to sit through the cutscenes again is borderline masochism. I alt-enter to go window mode then go read a webpage or two. I'd give this game 4 out of 5, minus 1 just because the story is insultingly bad and they force you to partake of it.
  100. Jul 28, 2013
    Far cry 3 is a great game but the only bad thing is that the bad guy (Vaas Montegoro) has a slightly lopsided mohawk. All game breaking mohawks aside this game is amazing.
  101. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. It really sucks you in. The outposts, the hunt challenges, missions,... plenty to do. Many people complain about the poor story but I liked it.
    So why only 7? Well, because the game had a lot of technical issues on my pc. I'm not going to post all my specs, but let me say I run Battlefield 3 with all the bells and whistles on an average fps of 80. In far cry I had to
    turn of all the options (like anti aliasing,...) Still got fps drops, graphical glitches and so one. From time to time it was really game braking. The game feels like a sloppy console port. No support from Ubisoft nor Nvidia. To bad, this game could have been perfect. Collapse

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013