8.1

1. Dec 4, 2012
    Best sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is a little short and it is not very original, but you can stay exploring the islands after you finished the game. You can earn skill points, which you can use to improve your characters abilities, which is a nice addition. Overall I enjoyed the game much more than any other FPS this year. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I wish I had purchased it early so I could've enjoyed along with the majority of people. The journey you take as Jason is one of the most memorable single-player stories ever created; and sure, the shooting is great too. However, I wasn't satisfied with the console menus and Uplay launcher that I had to click through. If it wasn't for the sale, I would have definitely purchased the game through steam. Also, multiplayer was a neat little surprise too. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2012
    In reality I'd rather rate this 7.5, but it's enjoyable enough that I wont give it just a 7. First I must say the game looks very good on PC, I run it on ultra settings and it is very nice, though the occasional artifact or unusual glare effect or texture loading comes up. For a first person shooter, of which I'm not a big fan, it is very enjoyable, the story is a bit cliche, but it's fun to work your way through it (thus far 15 hours in). The sound is good and the voice acting is pretty good. Though the enemy AI is somewhat bad, I think it's unfair to lower the rating given the scope of the game, and the weakness is less apparent in animal AI (all but 2 of my deaths where from sneaky jungle cats, and a crocodile.)
    The flaws in the the game are few, but annoying enough to bring my score down. First the menu system is clearly a port from the counsel and is a bit annoying, having to double click every selection is minor, but it's unusual for me on PC. One thing that bugged me, but once again is somewhat understandable as it is just a game is the head shot I put on a tiger failed to kill it, or even make it break from it's b-line toward me, I find that a bit ridiculous, as heads hots from rifles insta kill enemies personnel. As is usually the case in a game with a lot to do, it's a lot of the same, and the side quests are not varied all that much. Another review touched on this as well, the map has everything marked, so there is no sense of accomplishment from exploring this world, go to a tower and unlock the locations of everything. All you have to do is figure out where the entrance to a cave or temple is.
    Over all though the game is great of fun, and the story though not original is entertaining. With good graphics, and voice work, and a ton of options for weapons. I have not played multi-player yet, so that is not reflected in my rating.
  4. Dec 6, 2012
    This is a very good game. Open world, completely immersible environment, and so far I've really felt like some random guy trying to survive on an island. The new territory system is a huge improvement over Far Cry 2's enemy respawns, and the only major negative aspect I've experienced so far was the save system (it would be nice to have more than one save slot). I haven't spent too much time in multiplayer, but I really only buy these games for the single player so it doesn't factor heavily into my opinion of the game. Graphics have been amazing in my experience, and I think most of the people complaining about this don't realize that it's often their own hardware they should be complaining about instead of the software. I was looking for a game where I could become lost in a world that I had to fight my way out of, and I got that. I plan to sink quite a few hours into this title! Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2013
    This is an overall well designed game with a couple annoying quirks. The graphics and presentation as you probably know by know was exceptionally done. The introduction into the game a la the first meeting with the first antagonist was very exciting, mainly due to the great voice acting. Throughout the game the main character talks, adding to the immersion sort of like Left 4 Dead 2 characters who mention something about the environment to push you forward in the right direction. However Phone calls can be annoying sometimes. Another issue is the crafting. Why was this necessary? It irked me that I had to go around finding animals just so I could carry more money or hold a reasonable amount of weapons. Not to mention the menus were very awkward to navigate. The story however was intense for the beginning of the game, but dropped off near the end. All in all I would recommend you play this game, if you are not the kind to flame over minor blemishes in an overall fantastic game. Expand
  6. Dec 30, 2012
    Having felt Far Cry 1 had poor gameplay and Far Cry 2 was tedious, I was kind of shocked to hear all the buzz about Far Cry 3 from others who were also lukewarm towards the first two games. Having played the game, it certainly deserves it. The plot is wonderful, scenery is beautiful, gameplay is organic, and acting and characters are some of the best I've ever seen. Both stealth and open combat are equally viable and well-executed. I also think it's a neat touch that Jasons character arch and skill truly bends as the player improves at the game. That said, I find there's little variety in the open world as compared to other big RPG's, and while the game is effective in showing Jason as a true bad ass by games end, the skill tree is still poorly balanced and leaves you running from two or three grunts early in the game and yawning when waves of heavies pose no threat by the end. Far Cry 3 isn't perfect, but it's worth buying if you like action RPG's or first person shooters. Expand
  7. Mar 23, 2013
    This game is really great and deserves its high ratings. Excellent story, good graphics and a solid survival part. Well at least in the first third of the game then you turn into a one man army which is biggest downside of the game and takes away a lot of the thrill you have in the beginning but besides it is a must have.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    The only reason this is an 8 is due to the lack of splitscreen as was said, to be partof the pc version
    Otherwise i would have given it a 9, the graphics are very good, the gunplay feels nice, the sound is good, the story despite its small flaws is interesting enough to pull you in,, have not dived into multiplayer yet, but i am more of a singleplayer/coop gamer as is
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    Great game. I loved the single player. Has its flaws like all games, the HUD is intrusive and the AI isn't terrific. However, the scenery is amazing and the characters in it were hilarious, Vaas, Hoyt and the German guy ...
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish people would stop calling this game "Skyrim with weapons". It's not "Skyrim with weapons", it's Farcry 3. Farcry 1 and 2 had the same open-world style, with weapons and they both came out before Skyrim...

Now that I've got that out the way, this game is amazing. It is super, super fun. The graphics are great, the story is cool, the beginning intro is refreshingly original, and the villian is by far the best villian since Vergil. I gave this game 8/10 because I have to discuss the flaws as well unfortunately.

1. The biggest flaw is, the game ends! Once you're done, the side missions aren't that interesting and not many people just treasure hunt to find secret things around the map. Face it, once you've completed the game and made pretty much every crafting upgrade there is, you really miss enemies and camp infiltrations.

2. I'm being a tad critical here, but did we really need that weird, trippy initiation fight against that black-cloud demon thing? I often wonder why games do this. DMC:Devil May Cry had a similar boss fight against a digital anchor-man it's tacky and just plain weird.

3. There are 2 endings but you have no option to replay the last segment just to choose the different option, you have to play the level from the beginning.

4. Boats are included but you rarely use them which is sad, because Assasin's Creed 3's Master&Commander ship missions quite wet my appetite for more naval combat.

5. The main character is rather...inconsistent. I say that because at the beginning of the game he freaks out at having to stab a guard in the neck, and by the end of the game he is some sort of neo-nazi hellbent on bloodlust without even a smidge of hesitation when around enemies. If you don't really care for realism then that shouldn't bother you, I just thought since the put so much effort into character development in the beginning, that it came across as a little rushed and lazy.

6. That's it, the rest of the game was amazing, the map is quite large if you don't use quick travel and there is stuff to keep you busy after you finish the game, but replaybility isn't quite there. You'll probably stop playing once you finish the game.
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    I enjoyed this game alot. It truly deserves to be a G.O.T.Y. contender as well as the title "skyrim with guns" Single player has a lot of content. Coop is solid and has a decent length. Multiplayer is fun and has a lot of complexity to it. There are graphical issue present such as glitched npcs, but they only happen on ocasion. Also the story is alright, nothing amazing, but beats cod's anyday. P.S. To any haters complaining about the performance and graphics. You should've realized that you signed up for a ubisoft game in the first place. They don't give the pc version the credit it deserves. If anyone has bad performance, either your pc sucks or you didn't download the latest drivers. (both amd and nvidia have updates for far cry 3 in latest driver) Also, its amazing how people **** about a game's graphics if they arn't on par with battlefield or crysis. Graphics DO NOT make a game good, gameplay does kiddies. The graphics are good on max with DX11 and high resolution anyways. Expand
  12. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This really wasn't a bad game... The single player had some decent writing even if it was a cliche story. The only part that made me role my eyes was the "LIZA IM COMING!" crap towards the beginning. The plot stays interesting throughout with nice little twists and turns woven in. The ending fight where Sam gets knifed in the neck was very well done and certainly caught me off gaurd. The endings themselves left a little to be desired since they were vague but still interesting. There was a stupid little section that was like tomb raider or uncharted that was out of place. The multiplayer seems pretty lackluster but I expected that hence the 8-9ish rating. Its a much better game than 95% of the market. Giving this game anything less than a 6 or 7 seems pretty unfair to me. Expand
  13. Dec 6, 2012
    Reading some negative reviews has inspired me to sign up (again). Last game reviewed was SimBin's GTR, 'cos it was amazing. This is not a bad game, by any stretch. Suppose I'll be reviewing more often, just to counterbalance some of the stupidity that a lot of other reviewers seem to be coming out with - at least in terms of what I see as important to making a game fun and worth MY while. First of all, yes, it suffers from consolitis - the menu system could be better - there's a lot of clicking back and forth, which does break the flow of the game to some extent. The game overall has a slight aimlessness to it, in that, apart from the intermittent breaks for syringe creation, pouch crafting and other pause-menu high jinks, the way side missions are organised/controlled kind of takes you away from the flow of the narrative that's supposed to be driving your character. But that's about it. Everything else is top notch. Couple missions that are linear and low res map/HUD? Nah, whatever, very minor gripes of a hater mindset. Let's face it, graphics, and the overall artistic design, are one of its great strengths and add a huge amount to the immersion - it's actually seamless (no mean feat). Sound is also on par. The story line is no more or less creative than most other games on the market but at least this one is delivered with some half-decent scripting and voice acting, which I cannot say the same for all your Mass Effects and Borderlands (admittedly I only played the first - did they change that cheeseball guff for the second?). AI? A lot of the negative reviewers here seem to be acting like some artificial intelligence gurus (that fake kind) because they're picking faults in what is actually pretty obvious. The enemies do follow a pattern, but it does not make them any less challenging. It's like in so many other games where the challenge is to figure the pattern out. At least this game is challenging, and actually quite unique because, despite the dense jungle you always seem to be in, there is enough variability and randomness at play to make each encounter feel fresh. This is its major strength, and the reason why I come back for a daily dose - for a little bit more of that immersion, genuine strategising, and truly visceral gunplay (before I tire of it's comparatively minor nuisances). Expand
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    To begin I think this game looks great, plays just as well and offers a different experience from FC2 while maintaining the structure and environment. I like the way they've scripted the main character and helped the player feel more in-tune with the story. I also like the diversity of the wildlife and vehicles. I love the detail on the weapons as well as the bright, intense amazing looking reticules in the optics. This being said I have come to feel like asking for some changes after only the first few, however addicting, hours of gameplay. Firstly I definitely think a wider variety of weapons should be in order. Maybe you could buy a better knife? A spear gun? A crossbow? Throwing knives? Something! I also feel there could be more vehicles, not just ever so slight variations of the ones from the title's predecessor. Enemies all look the exact same which withdraws in a massive way the realism and immersive feeling. Like others have said enemies are terrible at spotting you. The animation of wildlife once they've engaged your character just look like something that's not even finished yet. The island does look the exact same everywhere you go as do shacks. All these points I'm making basically echo those above. I also cannot help but agree with everything positive and negative written about the game so far. Please take these things into consideration for future software updates. Don't let these negative observations distract you (the devs) from the fact that this is an excellent game overall. Expand
  15. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. almost perfect for me, just add an "inventory" menu for organizing the equipment so i don't need to go to safehouse for preparing for my adventure, erase the "get a free weapon when activating a radio tower" cuz it make the game too easy, and make the repair tool as equipment, not weapon (when inventory menu was added later) Expand
  16. Dec 20, 2012
    A game, that with a little bit more time and care, could have been a masterpiece. The game was eye-candy in the highest settings, the storyline was gripping and the character development of the protagonist was excellent. However the AI lacked, the game becomes lacklustre and cumbersome after the completion of the story line and I found that the unlocking of weapons / equipment was far too easy.
  17. Dec 26, 2012
    This game is not without it's flaws. The promises of "Skyrim with guns" were nonsense (the sidequests are nothing more than uninspired grind when compared to the breadth of subplots in Skyrim), the weapons are a little samey; you find yourself sticking with the same weapon-set throughout despite new weapons being thrown at you all of the time. Also, this game hasn't escaped the consolation effect of games lately, the GUI is giant sized and cluttered, you are constantly being notified of the main quest objective and game mechanics you worked out 30 hours ago, the engine is badly optimised (even for my aging 4870x2), the save system is fiddly and an open world game that barks at me for leaving the mission area is laughable.

That said there is a great deal to sing the praises of for this game. From opening cutscene to the 50th hour of exploration you find yourself in a beautiful, believable world. From your clueless friends and your sadistic enemies to the pirate complaining about gonorrhea and the hired merc just trying to earn a paycheck without taking a flaming arrow to the neck. Every character seems to be well thought out.

The combat is satisfying, challenging and engaging from long range to hand to hand. The takedowns are especially organic feeling. Where Deus Ex HR gives you the ability to takedown two foes at once at hand to hand Far Cry 3 lets you kill from below, from above, with a knife, even with your enemy's own knife/pistol/grenade. The combat is always satisfying despite the draw to pick them off from a distance with your supressed .50 calibre sniper rifle. I'm really undecided on the story and will avoid spoilers in this review. It's a tough balacing act between your protagonist's growth as a character, his own personal story and the wider impact of his actions on the world around him. The former was handled very well but I'm not so sure that the latter was as convincing. None the less the key characters are wonderfully conceived and ought to be up there amongst the most memorable of video gaming.

It's a polished experience and a great deal of fun. It hasn't the story arc of Half Life or the open world of Skyrim but it's one of the better games of 2012.
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    Pretty good game, it would probably be 9/10 if it weren't for some techincal issues... Overall good story, plenty of action, gigantic world, spent almost 50 hours finishing this one, definitly recommended
  19. Dec 31, 2012
    A good open RPG/shooter game. Far Cry 3 really puts 'rail shooters' such as Call of Duty to shame, actually allowing players to choose how they're going to achieve their goal - are you going to sneak in, or go in with all guns blazing? It's down to the player's style of attack.

The story behind Far Cry 3 can seem unclear, but if you search around you can find-out how you ended up on the
    island - adding depth and further emotion behind the story. Upon completing the campaign you'll be left with your mouth open, asking for more.

There are only a few things that I can say against Far Cry 3, some of the side missions are either tediously slow and boring, I mean it's Far Cry 3, not Off-road Delivery Company Simulator. Some of the missions are almost impossible to complete on hard, but I guess that's my fault for looking for a challenge.

Overall a good game which has been inspired by other RPGs - such as Assassin's Creed. You'll keep coming back to it for a long time.
  20. Mar 29, 2013
    Awesome experience, very fun to play, it has been long time since i played a game that offers such a great solid story.. the main mission are amazing, they feel very dynamic and hyper, every mission there reaches the peak of the game, the feeling that you usually get at the end of a game is present in nearly every story-mission in Far cry 3, which makes the game much more fun and a lot less repetitive.. also the extrapolation and side missions are so much fun.. and the stealth Technics are surely splendid..
    The bad side the crafting system is very Tight.. i owned all the crafting recipes so fast in the game.. that all the hunting i did later was useless.. though i did still needed to expand my loot rucksack/wallet..etc even after they were fully expanded.. i also hoped they gave us a bigger chance to develop an emotional attachment with Jason's friends.. and they could have explored Vaas personality even more as well they were able to escalate the story much more through Vaas, which they didn't, but in the overall the game is hell fun, with so many great aspects.
  21. Jan 2, 2013
    I have decided to write a review now that I have completed the story. Reviews made from a few hours of the game are not accurate! First, I'd like to praise the graphics. It seems a little hit and miss, but most people, myself included, experience no problems. I was able to run the game on very high setting, and the visuals were breathtaking. The character models, animations, and voice acting was excellent. However, the voice acting for side missions seemed low-fi though. Onto content, the gameplay was enjoyable. I played on the highest difficulty because, as people have made blatantly apparent, the AI can look directly at you then forget about you the next second. However, the difficulty always forced me to remain creative and alert on missions. After multiple failures due to poor strategy, the succor of success was sweet. While the choices for assault never reached the complexity of games like Deus Ex: HR or Crysis 2, the game never left me disappointed when it came to combat. The saving grace here is the story. On the superficial level, the story looks pedantic and cliche. However, with a little critical thought, a complicated and deep struggle reveals itself. The dialogue of the main characters was amazing. The surreal sequences were breathtaking. After the end of the game I was left sad and conflicted as I tried to rationalize the web Ubisoft strung. Don't play this game if you're looking for difficulty, multiplayer, or skyrim-esque roleplaying. Play this game for the high quality singleplayer sequence. As a side note addressing the concerns over boring missions: the many non-essential missions are pretty short and unexciting. But the game still lies in the excellent main missions. I wish they would have added some relevant missions like in Deus Ex: HR.

Bottom line: Get the game.
  22. Jan 6, 2013
    Very solid 8 pushing into a 9. The world is amazing... nay, incredible... no scratch that, phenomenal! Such a beautifully polished looking game will drop your jaw the moment you step foot on the island. The story is engaging, and interesting, which is rare for an RPG nontheless a shooter! You immediately feel in danger when you explore the wilderness, as death is always close. The emotions the game evokes goes a long way to create a lasting experience.

From a shooter perspective, the gun play has its strengths and weaknesses. The weapons look beautiful, and sound equally so, but to those accustomed to more realistic games, be prepared to take an arcade style back seat. There is an added element of stealth, surprise, and AI hunting dynamic that make gunfights fresh and infinitely creative.

From an RPG perspective, the leveling system does afford some very useful extra skills that give very distinct advantages on the battlefield. The crafting system is really only a matter of collecting items and clicking a button, so don't expect much there.

Far Cry 3 set their bar incredibly high, and it feels as if they hit almost all the marks. What you will quickly find after a few hours of game play is that once the surface polish wears off, you see a fairly repetitive game play. It is a large open world, and might give the impression that it wants you to treat it as a sandbox exploring as you see fit, but this is where it falls a little short. Progression in the game is much of the same old, same old, with a couple twists and turns: go to pirate area, clear radio tower, clear the related outpost, do a bounty or hunter quest, collect items, and rinse and repeat just a little more east of here.

The first 10 hours of gameplay lends a truly eye-opening, grand experience. And when the grind sets in shortly after, you can break the monotony by choosing different weapon load outs of variety and challenge. The beauty of this game alone would be enough to get me back to play it every once in awhile, a great buy.
  23. Jan 10, 2013
    Farcry 3 was mildly addicting. Way better than farcry2 which was drab and boring. Crafting is simplistic and not all that great. The AI was probably the worst part of this game since they are just plain stupid. Graphics are nice, open world can be fun to explore until you control all the camps.. then it gets boring. stealth in the game is piss poor simply crouching in the grass conceals you from enemies which is kind of **** The animals out in the world are kind of neat, they attack enemies and you :). Vaas is probably the most entertaining character in the whole game, guy is just out right funny. The story of farcry 3 is decent but the gunplay is where this game really shines. The game is good length if you do all the missions/ side missions capture all the points you can put in some serious game time in. This is a must play IMO. Expand
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    Very nice game with lots of things to do. Very good story, the kill side missions get repetitive very quickly, though all the other optional stuff are very fun. I liked the crafting system a lot but i feel the could have taken it a step further. Nice combat and a lot of fun abilities you can unlock. My major complain is that they could have exploited the jungle enviroment a little better, when i hear jungle what comes to mind is survival and this game didn't have that. Overall a much better game than the previous titles in the series! Recommended!!! Expand
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    This game has a great story, nice, warm and pleasant graphics. Which I do not understand why people say they are not so good and a great large map to explore and admire the islands. The single player at first seemed far to easy, you would be able to sneak past anyone without getting caught and it seemed highly unrealistic. However that issue soon became less as the story progressed and the enemies got challenging as well as the missions resulting in plenty of epic moments. The multiplayer is pretty average, not something special and not something to criticize although the co-op mode is lots of fun when playing with friends. The game does have lots of pros, but it has its rare cons too, mainly glitchy bugs. One bug I had came across a few times during a missions is when sometimes your AI teammate would get stuck on a object and jitter up and down, but eventually they would stop. The other problem I had noticed was the textures when it starts raining on the islands, the clouds would go black for 1 second and then to black rainy clouds. These bugs are not too bad at all and really does not affect the gameplay much at all, but it does prevent the game from turning into a perfect set. That is why 8/10 is a accurate score to give the game. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2013
    An entertaining and well constructed open-world shooter, but it falls short in the same areas many games in this genre do. The guns feel great and the action is exciting and fast paced. Sneaking around and picking off the guards is a blast. If sneaking isn't your thing, then go in guns blazing or drive your vehicle covered in C4 into an outpost. Unfortunately, these options begin to play out the same after many encounters. There are other various side missions including assassinations, racing, hunting, and bar games. These provide plenty of time killing and offer upgrades to your weapons or strengths. The RPG piece of character growth is simple and suffices for the tasks at hand. This game will help play out an average story line. It's unlikely that someone will enjoy finishing 100% because everything gets very repetitive. All the camps are the same and the side missions are basically repeated over and over. In the end, it's a worthwhile gaming experience and provides a fun experience. Expand
  27. Jan 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is exactly what we should expect from every AAA title. The game has a solid story-line that is simple to follow but still intriguing, the game-play mechanics are smooth, with some nice abilities to spice things up, and the scenery is quite beautiful how ever repetitive making the latter parts of the game seem slightly less inspired. However, the main story mission and outpost captures all feel very unique and each present their own challenges keeping the game still feel fresh after 20 hours. I would highly recommend that all who have yet to play the game play on the harder difficulty when not doing story missions (this can be found in options while playing) or else you may feel too comfortable and unchallenged. Expand
  28. Jan 30, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will be working with Dennis on the first few main story quests, next thing you know you will be hunting a goat in order to get a second weapon, and NEXT thing you know you will be playing a Time Trial minigame set in the area. With the amount of things going on around you, from pirates walking down the road, then getting slaughtered by a tiger, to the Rakyat warriors getting into a gunfight on the bridge with the enemy pirates, the game feels so alive and real. The plot is the only big issue when playing, but you will most likely not be doing the main story line as you will be off hunting tigers to make that pouch to hold more ammo. Ubisoft doesn't do a very good job in developing the characters, as they don't really do a great job of explaining how Jason goes from never hurting a fly to murdering hundreds of pirates in order to save his friends and family. And it feels like the friends (and brothers) Jason is trying to save and even Jason himself are barely even likable.

The multiplayer and co-op mode is a whole different story. Take a tiny area of the single-player map, and pit players against each other online in a variety of gamemodes such as Team Deathmatch, Domination, and a few others, and you got multiplayer. It's fun, Far Cry 3's multiplayer is great. It is similar to single-player in a few ways, such as you heal yourself with bandages and even apply syringes. You also have the ability to revive your teammates if killed. The customization for your classes are also very nice, as you get a wide selection of weapons to choose from and can apply different mods to it, and equip something known as "Battle Cries", which are like perks but can be applied to your teammates as well. It is definitely not something to skip out on. However, you don't really get a choice considering no one plays the multiplayer. I can't speak for Xbox 360 and PS3 players, but as far as PC goes, no one plays the multiplayer, and it near impossible to find a match. The co-op is excellent too, it is a whole other campaign separate from the single-player campaign, but co-op (hence the name, obviously). The mission objectives do get a bit repetitive but the quick competitive mini-games that they squeeze in between them make them all the more fun. So last thing I gotta say is, if you are a fan of Far Cry 1 and 2, definitely get this game, and if have never played any Far Cry games, I really recommend them.
  29. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic story line, although once i completed the main quest line i wasn't compelled to continue single player. The side missions are ridiculously repetitive and boring. Multiplayer is alright, but nothing too special. The fact that you cant choose the coop chapter to play is extremely annoying. Lets not forget that this game is plagued by Ubisoft's pathetic platform, Uplay. Definitely worth playing, these complaints are mostly minor. The single player story was the selling point for me. Expand
  30. Feb 5, 2013
    I remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. I felt obligated to find every Totem and every Letter to deepen the experience. The story itself is just a side thought from when I am not exploring or gathering materials for bigger ammo cases or wallets. Overall, this game provides many things to do, depending on what the player is feeling. Definitely a good buy. Expand
  31. Feb 7, 2013
    Once you get through moderartely-strange story there is not much else to do on the island. Other than that, and a few missed opportunities, and occasional complete retardedness of story (even when it obviosly does not mean to be retartded) this is a fine game. Definitely has its own thing going, unique enough to be memorable and fun most of the time.
  32. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a great and very ambitious game. The open world is beautiful and the game play simply feels right. A few of the main plot missions are nothing short of brilliant and the sound design is superb. The beginning of the game successfully grabs your attention, Vaas is one of the best game villains in a long long time and this is also where a few flaws become apparent. Having a great villain like Vaas and not utilizing him in the best way possible is a squandered opportunity. They could have done so much more with him. I would have loved to deal with him and him ONLY since he was an amazing character with so much potential. The plot is unfortunately severely flawed. I know, most people don't play this game for the plot but in the beginning of the game, it tries and succeeds in involving you as a player. Jason is confused, helpless and just wants to save his friends. But with every new mission Jason's mindset and decisions become less and less incomprehensible and sooner or later the player will disconnect and lose the link to him. I found myself thinking why not do x instead of this?" waaaay to often and having a conflict with the decisions made by the protagonist is a very severe flaw. I know this is criticism on a high level because the game is actually very very good but I can't help but feel that they were careless with the plot although they have they definitely have the talent to get it right. Despite all the fun I had during my approx. 16 hours with the game, I was left disappointed by the ending and the development of the main story. The side missions by the way are instantly forgettable. Hunting missions are fun and racing missions never peaked my interest. I only cared about the main plot and the open world. The prior left me unsatisfied and the latter is gorgeous! Expand
  33. May 18, 2013
    The game looks stunning. Sounds are top notch, so is acting.

However they have drastically dumbed the series down. The AI is laughable, money are really easy to earn, it takes you half a second to heal during the battle, and the healing plants are scattered all over the map etc etc etc. Also some parts of the story are so painfully stupid it hurts. To enjoy the game I recommend that you
    don't play it any longer than 2 hours a week, otherwise all those annoying things start to get you. Expand
  34. Apr 26, 2013
    Really solid game until about half way through when the move happens to the southern island, and at that point the story loses steam. Quite a lot of memorable moments though and one of the best performances by a 'bad guy' in gaming that I can recall.
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    A long game, so u get much for ur cash. Its a tad to easy, so up the game mode to get more challenge out it it. Lots of weapons and upgrades, so ur able to play how u like.
  36. Nov 23, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a good game, that most people will enjoy playing. There's a lot to do (campaign, taking over camps, exploring the map, hunting beasts, even playing poker), and all of this is worked out well. Storyline is okay, but not great. Pro's: - Fun Campaign - Large weapon arsenal - Always something to do - Tropical setting - Online co-op - Choosing your own play-style (stealthy or not)

Contra:
    - Online co-op missions are somewhat long 40 mins), and you can't choose a lobby for a specific mission
    - Annoying parachute
  37. Sep 4, 2013
    I have 30 hours logged in on this game in steam, and i still haven't beat the game there is that much content. Wrap your brain around that. Its Skyrim with guns. It has a great story, and on of the most memorable villains i have ever seen who deserves to be a fan favorite. I love this game. Its woth paying for this game even if the games story takes a turn for the worst at the end.
  38. Mar 26, 2013
    This is a fun game. That is the first thing you should know. Running around the island unlocking weapons and completing quests is worth the price of admission on its own. There are however some minor annoyances in the game. Which is why I didn't give it a 9. Firstly, like some others said the AI can be pretty bad, it by no means breaks the games, but sometimes it gets a little frustrating. The spotting mechanism is weird. Also, the menus, I found the mouse controls really weird it just degraded the experience a bit. Especially in the map, where you will spend a lot of time. The weapons are a little OP, but that almost makes the game a little bit more fun. You can unlock weapon attachments which can make the weapons really good. If you actually do everything in the game it would take you 30+ hours, just the story is around 8/9 hours. If this is the only game you can buy right now I wouldn't get it (Skyrim, BF3) would be better choices, but if you want a fun experience and have the money it is worth it. Expand
  39. Apr 16, 2013
    I was a big big fan of far cry 1. Far cry 2 had many really good idea in it, but couldn't make it work for me.
    Far cry 3 is where they made it shine. Storyline is epic, gameplay is epic (a bit repetitive), audio is epic. The hunting, the fighting, the exploration, THE BASE JUMPING! So many little things that make this game amazing and a most. Took me about 30 hours to finish the game
    at about 90%. (I didnt really care about the last 10%, since its super repetitive and after 30 hours I had other games to play). Ubisoft really nailed it on this 3rd one. The jungle is so beautiful, and yet so dangerous. Throw yourself head first, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  40. Mar 29, 2013
    Brigh, smooth and jungles if you like anything bright smooth and jungles. This game is a classic shooter with intreasing plot, explosions. Relatively fast gameplay. But I dont know probably I'm just not a big fan of shooting in jungles.
  41. May 8, 2013
    After useless developer chatter I was finally able to play this game from a Youtube tutorial, because Steam has not updated the U-Play launcher, and you get an unbroken outdated version which does not automatically update. Anyhow, the graphics are stunning and amazing, something rather new in this pixel revival age, and animations are another unsurmountable achievement. Gameplay is mediocre, as far as swinging your machete and going pew-pew goes. However, badass takedowns make up for it, allowing you to instantly kill your enemy in your own brutal fashion. However the game's biggest, by far, flaw, is the story and main questline. Despite it seeming simple: saving your friends from some named Vaas( easily contesting Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 for best antagonist of the year). However, you get drugged far too often in one of many ways, from a drink to mushrooms. This gets repetitive very quickly, and you can't expect anything. Then you get raped by Citra, the rebel faction's leader, right after (you guessed it) being drugged. It just gets wierder and wierder. The boss battles are short and laughably easy quicktime events, making them lackluster and dull. They also take place while(you guessed it) being drugged, or at least appear to with a black background and dance floor-like ground. Then you meet another ally which is predictably going to die, and he does. Then you meet Hoyt, a far less interesting antagonist, yet still pretty interesting at that. The three bosses in the game are all the said quicktime battles, and all are almost identical. Hoyt also does something pointless when he lops your finger off. The only reason for that is so he could make the "We'll never get married" joke. The missing finger stays for the rest of the game, however little there may be.

Now the multiplayer is a 5 or 6/10 experience.. The Bison rifle remains supreme, doing instant kills wherever they hit, and possessing solid range, making it level-based victory. However, many do not use the weapon surprisingly, making most matches contain mediocre enjoyment. The best part of the whole match is the ending, allowing one team to beat up, murder, injure, or explode the losing side's best member, or be nice and show mercy(Hell no!). My favorite punishment is to do the knife game, and finish by slamming it into their hand. However, this does not make up for the pretty standard gamemodes, unbalanced weapons, and overall disatisfaction I had.

Co-op is above average.It's like Left 4 Dead, except you're killing pirates and privateers and fighting on the island. The random competitions are nice, and I almost always win (except on the sniper one) but still, the open world gameplay is gone, the vehicles, as in the multiplayer, are gone, excluding one competition. I do like that the weapons from co-op and multiplayer are linked, so you get get your weapons in co-op and swing over to multiplayer to kill some people.

Overall, a 8 is my score. 7s, and 9s are understandable in my opinion.
  42. Apr 12, 2013
    Nice game, wonderful design, but need a great pc to be up 30 fps. Gameplay is ok. Multi is poor, but the most important is the solo campaign. Co-op mode is fun.
  43. May 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and chances are you will as well. But it has its flaws, do not buy this game if you looking for a challenge in any sense of the word (at least in the single player). Even on hard the game presents you with almost no challenge at all. Especially if you go the broken stealth route were enemy's literally will not respond to getting shot in the foot, with any more that a quick look around and few repetitive insults about how you "are not a true warrior" etc. Its unlikely that you'll die more than a dozen times in the story missions. Most of my deaths were me driving my car of the side of the cliff as the first person perspective and thick jungle means that I often didn't that there was a cliff in front of me. But flaws aside you do get a lot for your money, about 18 radio towers and 30 something enemy outpost to capture along with side quests and about 15 hours worth of story missions. However so much content means that it can pretty quickly turn into a repetitive grind where every radio tower captured was just for that gun I was desperate for and not, for the fun of doing it. There is a Multi player and co op Campaign but by the time I had finished with the single player I'd had my fill of the jungle. Far Cry is and easy game to recommend as there is plenty to like and almost certainly something you'll love, you just have to wade through all the crap to get to it. Expand
  44. Apr 29, 2013
    Essentially Far Cry 3 is a very good game.. but it is not amazing... It starts very strongly, the characters are colorful and interesting, at the beginning you have a lot to explore and many missions to do... But... you eventually realize how repetitive this game is... same missions, same locations same everything... In the end I spent an easy 40hrs doing side missions and finding statues but then I lost interest and stopped playing the game... there should be a total of 60-70hrs of gameplay if one tries to collect all the collectibles and do all/most of the side missions... This game simply doesn't maintain the same level of interest as skyrim does... However, Farcry3 is well worth the money, especially if you get it on a special (like I did... luv u Steam!!!) Expand
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    By the end of the game you will have a choice which will play one of two outcomes, and I have to say I was extremely surprised how the game ended because it left myself on a cliff hanger I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next? So will we see a Far Cry 4? Time will tell.
  46. Apr 26, 2013
    Good game, amazing graphics. You feel like you are there, hunting, hiding, killing...
    The script is crazy, but dont affects the game as a whole.

The problem is the campaign is so much repetitive and tiresome. I finished the game and never play again.
  47. Apr 28, 2013
    Great game. Had alot of fun playing it. The story was good. And the intro was a great way to get into the "jungle world". Best shooter i have played in a long time.

It only recieve 8 because of the crashes i had to endure, and the obvious consol port. (Please give us a PC friendly GUI for these types of games)
  48. Jul 3, 2013
    Incredible game! The graphics, the gameplay, the movements EVERYTHING! What I deny in some situations, is that when you burn some planting, it should disappear, but the plants are only black and opaque! Lacked a little more detail in this sector. But the game is GREAT! Recommend
  49. Jul 28, 2013
    Mixed bag playing it again on pc. I love that I can disable the HUD and that but having to sit through the cutscenes again is borderline masochism. I alt-enter to go window mode then go read a webpage or two. I'd give this game 4 out of 5, minus 1 just because the story is insultingly bad and they force you to partake of it.
  50. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could of got 9/10 and i will now explain why i didnt give it 9/10 by pointing out the negatives and then the positive's. I just want to say this game is AMAZING, but short lived. Now i will explain :

The Negatives:
    1. The game gives an illusion of having massive re-playability but doesnt have any.
    2. It lacks content outside
    the main story.
    3. The game gives you no reason to complete side quests.
    4. The open world is boring unless your in a mission.
    5. It could of been so much more.
    6. Once the main story ended i felt like OMG this was AMAZING but what do i do now?
    7. Once You finish the main story you are left with no reason to play the game again.
    8. The multiplayer sucks, i did not include this in my rating, it has nothing to do with the single player.

The positives:
    1. The voice acting is AMAZING.
    2.The characters are AMAZING.
    3. The storyline is AMAZING.
    4. The main story missions are EPIC.
    5. The game is so much fun.
    6. Hunting animals is great.
    7. Collecting plants is great.
    8. The weapons are awesome.
    9. The world looks beautiful.

Overall i give this game 8/10. Once you finish the main story you are left feeling like something is missing in the game now, it gives you no reason to carry on playing, unlike games like Grand Theft Auto in which you can replay over and over for months after you have finished the main story.

If there is a Far Cry 4, it needs to build on the open world aspect and give you more to do once you finish the game, the game has an amazing story but falls flat in the open world experience.
  51. Sep 24, 2013
    Such a complete game. It mixes quite well adventure and action. Just focusing on the story it would have been a regular game, but the details really max out the entire game. I really had fun playing it.
  52. Oct 19, 2013
    This is a solid game with entertaining open world game play. There is a large world to explore with tons of content. The graphics and atmosphere are top notch. I would give this game a 10 but....The game falls down a bit with the contrived ultra grim-dark story and the accompanying story missions. The story missions break from the majority of the game play, forcing you into linear missions and/or QTE. Expand
  53. Oct 24, 2013
    Its a good shooter with a pretty good storyline. The only thing that I somewhat disliked was the money and animal skin grind. I got it on Steam for a great price with all the downloadable content. The ai could use some tweaking. The environment is stunning. With lots of side quests.Overall its a fun game that had me playing hour after hour.
  54. Nov 1, 2013
    An absolutely stellar game full of open-world exploration, hunting, tons of fun and entertaining side missions. Some reviewer said that this is like the Skyrim of FarCry, and I can see why. It's just so much fun to hunt deadly animals in the jungle, and then use its skin to make your wallet and backpack bigger. This game has so much emphasis on the character development, it's absolutely impossible to believe this game came from the same developers that made Far Cry 2, a game was about as characteristic as a rock. This game's also a lot more like Far Cry 1 than it is like Far Cry 2. So if you were a Far Cry 1 fan who was disappointed in FC2, this game might be more down your alley. Expand
  55. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great all-round game, but not without it's flaws. For example, the gameplay is great, the crafting fantastic, but the game seemed to get stale after a while for me (however I am used to the replayability of Skyrim). Also, there is some scenes incorporated that I wish had been left out (the Cirta boob scene for example): they're simply unnecessary for the storyline. So, an 80%, then. Expand
  56. Apr 6, 2014
    Great and fun game but it's too short! i would give a higher score if the story was longer, but i still love it! I hope the next game has a longer story ;)
  57. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    I played this game for 2/3 days, just running and shooting and base-jumping. I like the story and graphics. It's one big awesome action movie adventure.
    The game play is also very good for a shooter. I do think it is a shame that they made this game so easy. I play every game on the hardest settings, because the game will last longer and gives you all it has got. Even though I played it
    on the hardest difficulty, it was too easy. Another thing I do not like it that the game stops and gives you nothing to shoot any more. I completed all the assignments and then the game is just a big world with good guys.. so you start killing the good guys after a while.

After all: It is worth you money, it is worth your time and when I upgrade my computer, the game will be even more awesome, because the graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
  58. Feb 7, 2013
    Far Cry 3 saved the series after a string of pointless spin-offs of the first game, a remake, and a remake OF the remake. To top it off, the last main entry, Far Cry 2, was a mediocre, frustrating, redundant, and unrewarding game set in a somewhat-interesting landscape that lacked any incentive to explore it. Far Cry 3 was a welcome improvement over its predecessors, However, the game still suffers from the biggest game-breaking flaw that has plagued the series since the beginning: A large, beautiful environment with no rewards for actually exploring it. All of the weapons are available to the player for free, as long as they unlock radio towers, and the process of doing so requires no challenge. To make it worse, the player has unlimited, free access to previously-unavailable weapons after they pick them up from the corpse of a foe. Meaning if you just grabbed a shiny new gun from the ground, congratulations, you now have it an endless free supply of them, just like any other weapon you may have shelled out thousands of dollars for. There are hardly any unique side-quests worth going out of your way for, and they only reward you with money, which you'll find you have plenty of mid-way through the game. Money is almost worthless once you have all of the weapons readily available. The only purpose is buying the occasional much-needed health, ammo, or body armor. None of which (with maybe the exception of body armor) are difficult to obtain on your own. In fact, I have so many green leaves, which are use to craft healing items, that I had to sell most of them just because I needed the space, and I would never, ever need that much. There are other types of syringes, used for such things as boosting damage resistance to fire, and aiding your hunting and exploration abilities, however, they are unnecessary. Hunting isn't particularly difficult, and neither is combat, even on the most difficult setting. I could go on and on about why Far Cry 3 will not satisfy those who want a meaningful sandbox game, but if you are looking for a slick, fulfilling shooter game, you'll have a blast. Good controls is vital to great combat. Far Cry 3 rivals Max Payne 3 for having the most crisp, fluid controls of any PC game of 2012, even on mid-grade gaming rigs that can't quite run Far Cry 3 with optimal performance. The graphics are eye-popping; the water stands out. The many lakes, rivers, and waterfalls look incredible, especially when the sunlight shimmers along the top, and the bodies of your enemies float freely, slowly staining the teal-liquid red.

In short ,Far Cry 3 fails to impress the adventurer in me, but the warrior in me hasn't been this impressed with a shooter since BioShock.
  59. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Some spoilers*: POINT ONE: Ubisoft, the grand masters of screwing legitimate buyers with stupid DRM force you to install "Uplay". It's another crappy attempt at selling their games direct. Who knows what it steals from your PC (thanks Origin). It also doesn't really work with Steam. You have to access the game through Steam, but it's not visible in Uplay if you launch it by itself.
    POINT TWO: This game has been out for almost a week, but Metacritic kept claiming there were 4 days til release. I can only assume that's either a tactic to bump up the (always) ridiculously high "professional" critic reviews, or the people running this website don't know what they're doing.
    POINT TWO: Remember Far Cry 2, and how annoying it was? Like the endlessly re-spawning enemies at roadside shanties? The guns that broke in half? The myriad pointless assassination missions? The fact that is was endlessly boring after a while? The malaria? Well, Far Cry 3 is Far Cry 2 with most of the annoying parts removed and set in a tropical paradise. That's not a bad thing, but it's also nothing particularly special. We've already seen it before. The engine is the same, the graphics are largely the same, the gameplay is largely the same. It's good, but not great. They obviously listened to everyone griping, and just re-wrote the same game. There's hang gliders everywhere, guns that don't break, stupid AI and no malaria. Okay, so the AI is lame in both games, but that's how it is these days.
    POINT THREE: The story is much more prominent, but very cheesy and lite. So cheesy, in fact, that it's laughable at some points. Some user reviewer here said the story had them in tears! Bwah hah hah hah! But seriously, there's mystic powers, a magical self-inking tattoo and islanders with strong New Zealand accents. The nerds who wrote the story for this game are spotty freaks who, well, can't write a story worth a damn.
    POINT FOUR: It's easy. I mean _very_ easy. There's all this RPG-style stuff going on in the background, like learning new skills, collecting things to make stuff, but it's all unnecessary. I mean _completely_ unnecessary. Some things might be handy, like making a holster from wild goats to carry more guns, but you get decent guns everywhere, so why bother? You can also make syringes of medicine, but I've never needed them. Since you don't need any of it to play the game, what's the point?
    POINT FIVE: The driving is hectic. Sometimes a little too fast and overly-responsive, and every car seems to spin out as soon as you press the button that controls the pedal (if you get what I mean). POINT SIX: Some fun side-quests: "trials" where you kill as many baddies as you can in an allotted amount of time, hunt down animals, hunt down baddies, deliver medical supplies etc. POINT SEVEN: The graphics are okay, but basically the same as Far Cry 2. There are some neat vistas to look at, but they're not as epic as Far Cry 2. There was something about the African savanna that tweaked my noodle. A tropical island is overdone. If only they had released a patch for Far Cry 2 that took out all the crap parts and made it a great game. Oh, wait, Far Cry 3 graphics. Right. yeah, they're okay. Intense colours, nice water effects, black shadows around all the NPCs. DX11 lighting effects and all the rocks shine.
    CONCLUSION: It's pretty good as a game and it's growing on me. It will keep you entertained for a while, but it's not what the hype says (it never is). Re-playability looks pretty good. My disappointment is more due to the fact that it's just a remake of Far Cry 2, which means we've seen this all before. Nothing innovative, a lame story and the horrible, unnecessary Uplay application from Ubisoft that you are forced to install. Besides that, people have claimed on the Steam forums that the game is an "amazing experience". No, it's not. Watching the sun rise in Turkey while on a backpacking holiday is an amazing experience. Skydiving is an amazing experience. Having a new-born child is an amazing experience. This is a computer game. Big difference. Having said that, there is fun to be had, and it's not a bad way to waste $70 and hours of your life.
  60. Dec 21, 2012
    The game is becomes boring very fast. Before you know it, all you do is clear pirate bases and activate communication towers. The only interesting parts are the main plot missions but those won't last that long.
    There is no motivation to explore, as you never get anything besides money (presuming you manage not to run around with a full wallet) and junk. You don't get anything like
    special weapons or interesting items.
    The requirement to craft bags and stuff, makes it pretty tedious. You don't need medicine at all, as they're just bonus buffs and it's not like you need health pots as you can always just duck around a corner and heal with your basic heal instead of instantly with a health pot, this is a FPS not Diablo.
    The regular enemies and allies are just clones of eachother. They literally have like a couple face variants being repeated over and over and they're all just regular humans.

Anyway, game is boring and bland.
  61. May 8, 2013
    Ok where to start. The gameplay here is awesome, as is the setting. Combine it with the free roam and you've got yourself one epic sandbox game, but there a couple glaring problems for me personally. The first one being the story. Now I loved Vaas and how the game starts, but honestly I couldn't hate Jason more. He goes from a giant baby to a giant @$$hole. Sure he's a survivor, but it doesn't mean he has to be a jerk as well. The stealth has some flaws (like enemies seeing you from 500 yards away through a bush), but it isn't a huge game breaking thing that happens often. What bothers me the most though is all the druggy crap and the perpetual swearing of every character in co-op. It really becomes unnecessary after a while and actually annoying. I know the villain is basically a drug dealer, but I don't want the entire game to be Jason getting high to get in touch all his spirits and stuff like that. Other than that though it really is a solid game. Expand
  62. Jan 25, 2013
    1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems it is the way to make game longer. 2nd part focuses only of shooting - nothing more. The idea of exploration on the 2nd island was dig.
    So the first island I judge for 9, but the 2nd island for 5 only.
  63. Mar 24, 2013
    Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do. After that is done you usually mark a position of enemy camp as target, go there, few shots with your rifle to take out some pirates. Done. Also thanks to the incedibly broken ai again no challenge even on highest difficulty. What you are left with is a fully revealed, boring region with no enemies left, nothin much to do and like 100 crates scattered around the region waiting for you to get picked up to fill your pockets. Yes and that it is pretty much it. Graphics are decent, game is pretty much free of bugs and working fine, Vaas is fun. So i can not really call it horrible. Got it for 30 Euro in Steam sale, thats O.K.. Expected it to be overated and not worth a 87% metascore before buying it, so i did not get too disappointed. Expand
  64. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. It really sucks you in. The outposts, the hunt challenges, missions,... plenty to do. Many people complain about the poor story but I liked it.
    So why only 7? Well, because the game had a lot of technical issues on my pc. I'm not going to post all my specs, but let me say I run Battlefield 3 with all the bells and whistles on an average fps of 80. In far cry I had to
    turn of all the options (like anti aliasing,...) Still got fps drops, graphical glitches and so one. From time to time it was really game braking. The game feels like a sloppy console port. No support from Ubisoft nor Nvidia. To bad, this game could have been perfect. Expand
  65. Dec 12, 2012
    10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry more... bigger wallet, bigger rucksack for items, bigger ammo case etc., you hunt animals and skin them. That was fun, but It took about an hour and I had pretty much upgraded everything. I started gathering items and cash, but here's something I found odd. As in Far Cry 2, you had to quest to make more items available. No problem. In Far Cry 3, you unlock radio towers. But here's the catch, the items aren't only unlocked, they become free. So I'm walking around with a stuffed $6,000 wallet and I've already got everything and not a single reason to loot dead bodies or pick up cash. Modifying weapons cost a little, yeah, but upgrading your favorites only takes a second and your done. Now I'm thinking, what do I do now? In other words, in two hours, there may be plenty to explore, but no reason to do it!

Skills are boring too. The standard ones that increase health are obviously important but the rest are more like "skills of convenience" if you know what I mean. There aren't any you feel like you really want. I've got fifteen skill points and I don't even care. There's nothing there beyond increasing health and a couple of other ones that make a difference. The rest? zzz zzz.

So what's the verdict? Is it worth playing? I'm not finished with it and I will finish it... eventually. Games that get the ratings this one got are supposed to lock you in front of your computer and not set you free until you've savored every morsel. This one? It's like going to a buffet where all the items taste pretty much the same. You'll play it maybe because your hungry but you won't really care what you want next.

As a side note, it may be worth waiting for because there are a few bugs on the pc version. It stutters like a dog unless you can get fps over 60 on the low end. I've got an Intel 3820 oc'd to 4.2 ghz and an Nvidia gtx 680 and need to run on medium settings. I had to get the top fps to about 115 for the normal buttery smoothness I'm accustomed to. And that's borderline. If I even turn on anti-aliasing to any degree, I have to reduce the graphics to low, so I settled for medium and no AA. You can google "Far Cry 3 stuttering" for more info.

The game has value. Think of it like Santa putting a Bugatti Veyron in your drive way but then discover the only place you can drive it... is around the block. It's fancy, but the track is the same.
  66. Jan 16, 2013
    I loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaring timer on top of the screen, breaking all the amazing illusions created by the game world. One thing people may gloss over - the writing and characters are, at times, offensively bad. I think I speak for many when I say that overused stereotypes of the "white man saving the indigenous people" trope is obvious and tired. And seriously, **** Vaas. Try harder Ubisoft, seriously. (Quoting Alice in Wonderland throughout was another misguided creative attempt, I felt.) There is a lack of creativity with the entire setting and modern day milieu, and it doesn't interfere entirely with main feel of the game, but it does stifle what could have been. Still definitely worth playing. Expand
  67. Jan 18, 2013
    Far from perfect, but a decent game nonetheless. Shooting mechanics and stealth is implemented well and allows for two different approaches, whereas Far Cry 2 was more limited. Also I'm very glad Ubisoft removed repopulating outposts; those annoyed the heck out of me in Far Cry 2. Ubisoft have made a number of good design choices that have enhanced the game, though some of the problems In Far Cry 2 are still prevalent in this game. The only missions/quests that seemed to have any depth were the story missions and as you progress, other side quests start to lose their touch and you'll find the jungle environment and the contents it holds wearily repetitive. In the end, even the weapons and recipes you unlock through collectibles isn't enough to hold your attention. Additionally, the SSAO in this game is atrocious and so are some of the textures. The menus could be better as well. Expand
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    Good characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was Jason protecting another character with waves of pirates attacking you for some unspecified period of time. The other variant was for you to be charging through enemy lines waiting to come up against a wall of enemy fire you couldn’t tank and then we’re back to the same old cover based combat. During a story mission they attempted a stealth mission but it was just Jason following the path laid out for him by the developers. I didn’t finish this game, the gameplay just sucked too hard during the story missions. 7/10 for the fun had with the outposts, characters and the story itself not the gameplay during the story. Expand
  69. Mar 17, 2014
    What's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generaly It's a good and acceptable game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A mysterious story would be better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, so are all those explosions everywhere and action generally. The graphics are bad compared with the previous version which is very rich in graphics. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but I'm not playing it again. I think I'll play Far Cry 2 because I's balanced and complete in all aspects. Expand
  70. Dec 4, 2012
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10:
    The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit
    to long.
    The AI is acceptable, sometimes it feels like it is tracking you to well and sometimes but often it it just stupid enough for you to have fun trying to trick it.
    There are a fair amount of weapon types and while most of the guns feel very similar there are still enough variation and ability to equip different sights, attachments and colors that it feels satisfying.
    However there are some strange bugs with weapons that have extended clips that they are never full up on ammo when you get them from the shop and this is where the RPG element shows it's ugly head.

The RPG - 4/10:
    You can level up, craft items and larger bags to carry stuff in, problem is that you unlock the skills by progressing the story and you earn so much xp that you will always have skill points hanging around waiting for you to do more story missions. So why they don't automatically unlock these new ability when you progress is a mystery to me. This is doubled by that the keyboard and mouse controls in the menus are really clunky.
    The crafting is also under developed you will have crafted all the pouches you can when you are a quoter way into the game and after that skinning animals is pointless and you try to avoid all animals in the world. You can still craft syringes that can help you in various ways however i played the game on hard and never used anything other than the healing syringe that you start with.
    The looting of enemies is also a bit of a downer, you only get money and on the rare occasion some ammo or grenades, but nothing that really feels worth your time and while it is fun to unlock new weapons and attachments for the weapons once you have unlocked all the mechanic falls completely flat and there aren't enough signature weapons (unique weapons you buy that have attachments combinations and colors that the normal unlocked ones don't have) to keep you going.
    The health system is a bit strange, you regenerate partially depleted health bars automatically but not empty ones and you take so much falling damage that while exploring you will lose a bar now and then, the only way to regain that health is to use a health syringe or if you are out of those you can use your healing skill, however since you don't want to waste healing syringes you will end up playing 90% of the game with 1 or 2 bars of health missing.

The Adventure game - 8/10:
    The most fun part of the game is roaming around the beautiful island, unlocking GPS towers and camps are a lot of fun and provide a nice challenge, problem is that once you have unlocked all towers and camps there are basically no enemies left in the world and everything but the story feels pointless. However it will take you some time to do this so it is a minor problem.
    The main character is annoying but the story is good and you will meet some very enjoyable characters along the way. I do however feel that they have taken a step back from FC2 in not letting you chose your character, it would have been nice if there was a choice to play as either a male or female lead and this could easily have been integrated into the story.
    Also the Checkpoint/Save system is a bit weird sometimes working well and at other times not as much, I thought FC2 did the adventure save system better with your friend showing up to save you.

Conclusion:
    It is a good game, while I do miss the red Hawaiian shirt I did still have fun with this game and I do look forward to Far Cry 4.

P.S Ubisoft FFS get rid of the !#%& Uplay, I hate this stupid thing, what was so bad about FC2 system? Install and play and if you choose to go online you needed a CD-key, that was a perfect system!
  71. Jan 10, 2013
    The best part of far cry 3 is the singleplayer. The island is huge and pretty. The wildlife is done great and the "survival" aspects of the game is great fun. There is a lot quests to keep you busy but the quests that is not part of the main campaign is not very varied and will therefor get quite repetitive pretty fast. You can however for the most time decide how you approach your goal which is a nice feature. The main campaign of the game is surprisingly varied and the story have a lot of good moments and memorable characters. The story do however also have some weak spots with some really silly plot turns. The gunplay and action isn't the best that i have seen but that do not have a huge impact on the game since the gameplay is as varied as it is. The singleplayer do however have some minor problems. Radiotowers and enemey bases get old really fast. terrible boss-battles, quicktime events, strange enemy back-up and annoying heavy soldiers is a couple of examples. The multiplayer part of the game is alright. The co-op is a lot more actions oriented than the singleplayer which kind of sucks since that wasn't the best part of the game. The normal multiplayer is bland but ok. I would say that the game is overall quite impressive and that the singleplayer is enough for me to recommend this game to everyone with an interest in the genre. Expand
  72. Feb 12, 2013
    To sum it up quickly, Far Cry 3 is a good game. Not superb, not ground-breaking, and sometimes annoying, but overall it's good. A lot of the annoyances of Far Cry 2 have been put to bed (the appalling re-spawning springs to mind), and Far Cry 3 offers a nice tropical atmosphere, a decent story, and a good world to explore. Criticisms? Well the saving system is poor (checkpoints in an open world? C'mon!), the animal hunting quickly becomes irrelevant once you've crafted your equipment, and the AI is pretty stupid at times. Also, the missions (outside the main story line) are pretty lame. It's either "hunt an animal" or "kill someone with a knife" and that's about it. Let me be clear, "Skyrim with guns" it most certainly isn't (Skyrim has far more depth). Still, it's a fun shooter overall. Only problem is imagine how good it could have been with decent side quests, a slightly better inventory and a proper saving system. Now THAT would have been Skyrim with guns... Expand
  73. Jan 6, 2013
    For me this is game of the year for sure. After disappointing games like Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 i did not expected much from Far Cry 3. The bigger surprise was when i started playing this game. Really great sand box experience with great combat system and many side quests. Single player got also really interesting story with great characters and pretty good endings (both of em). And that´s not all, there is also a multiplayer with Co-op. Expand
  74. Jul 4, 2013
    The Far Cry series is awesome, it's always been adventurous and always tried to be different from the normal games that were out at the time of their releases.
    But this one, I really can't say that, and that really brings it down. They tried to copy a CoD/Battlefield style of gunplay, and while it DID work well, it made the game a little less of it's own. They also got rid of a few things
    that brought me into the world of Far Cry 2 more than any other game. For one, the world was interactive, as if things could happen when you're not there. You could start brush fires that actually spread and burned lots of things. Now that's not to say this game has anything new, now the animals in the game attack AIs as if they were actual predators, where as before they did... nothing. Speaking of animals, I hated the way they used animal hides. I'm no schtickler, but I don't think making a wallet out of two different animal hides makes it hold any more.
    Well it's an okay game, and I would've put it at a 9/10 if it weren't in the Far Cry series.
  75. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst i found the gameplay fun, i felt the story was presented quite blandly. Jasons friends and enemies get very little screen time which i thought should've been a lot more to get a connection with them, the ending disappointed me because (spoilers) if you choose to leave the island all you get for it is Jason giving a monologue as their boat speeds off into the sunset, i would've liked to see something where we get to see the relationship between him and his girlfriend Liza but it never happens. Gameplay wise I felt that the lack of HUD customization was a bit of a bummer as i went straight for the hard mode because i really like immersion, but the fact that you cant even turn the tutorials off is really disappointing i hope they release an update that lets you hide them. Expand
  76. Dec 11, 2012
    Actually,this is an really AWESOME sandbox shooting game for those players who is new to the Far Cry series...but for the FANS...there is some TINY---VERY TINY disappointment in this game...especially...those total Far Cry 2 fans..... First of all, there's NO GUN JAMMING in this game...many people may ask "Isn't that nice ?"...Well, for those FPS player who wants to have a smoothly gunfight like the COD..."YES.".....but for those FC2 fans...that was really unacceptable...cuz it's fun and it's realistic for those hardcore FPS players....i know that sometime the mechanism is quite frustrating,but it is its feature---FUN and DANGEROUS, isn't it ? Second,the MONEY....yeh...i know that earning money fast isn't bad...but in Far Cry 3 ....it's just too damn fast !!! It just makes all this survival feeling game become tooo EASY for those hardcore FPS player or those who struggle finding diamonds in FC 2....(and yes, prefer the diamonds in FC 2) Third,there is no SLEEPING SYSTEM in these game..so..if you want to have a night walk of stealthy killing...you have to wait----till the sun set......and that's really damn long... And last, the HEALING SYSTEM is really really worse than FC2...it's just too "easy" for me---a FC2 player. So,if you are new to these kind of game....i highly recommend it ........it's a must buy for sure..........but for those FC2 fans...i think they should think twice whether you are ready to let go those fun experience and accept those new things... Still, i'll give this game a 8.3/10 for bringing soo much fun to me. Expand
  77. Dec 12, 2012
    Rating this game is pretty difficult since with high expectations a let down often results in even poorer sometimes unfair grades. Ill try to be as fair as i can though.
    I liked the atmosphere of the game and since i am not a pro fps player i can kill quite some time with killing stupid npcs that have a worse reactions than my granny. Like in for example Prototype just running around (
    litterally, since our hero is quite fast with all those guns and stuff) killing stuff is fun and if you dont look at all the maps and quest directions the islands are pretty well designed giving off a nice flair. Wildlife in general is way more scary than npcs especially certain water animals but wearing a shotgun eventually reliefes you of your fear of most animals. I wouldnt take the crafting system too seriously because except for the syringes rather than real crafting its more like upgrading very few predefined things like ammo pouches or quivers and its only working once so before long you only need to craft healing items anymore.
    Anyways i could live with all of this but i have to deduct quite a few points for bugs and/or illogical game play and game design decisions. First off, the looting is horrible and makes you switch weapons with the dead rather then taking their money. Same with skinning dead animals. It looks like the collisions are totally off at this point and this really is annoying and takes up too much time. Another huge setback is the UI. At times it litterally clobbers at you with information but when you really need it like you shot an animal and now need to look for it lying in 3 feet high grass its not helping and you can search for hours before you realize its despawned by now. Oh and whatever you do, try to avoid vehicles. Boats are kind of okay-ish i guess but almost any land vehicle gives off worse handling than an aircraft turbine powered hovercraft would have. Probably this is why even friendly NPCs may kill you by accident when you walk on the streets. I could probably go on a little more but there really are some fun things too. The world itself behaves pretty random and funny sometimes. A nice example was an enemy in a car hitting a goat on the street ending up exploding on a tree starting a fire which burned down a enemy base. Now thats bad luck!
    I am still giving 7 out of 10 because there is a lot potential in this one and i am really curious about what mods the community will create. Yes i had fun.
    PS I did not mention the story at all because its a shooter. Yes there is a story and its not really worth mentioning. Are you REALLY surprised??

Over all:
    Graphics 8/10 (setback water)
    Audio 9/10 (good soundtrack, nice voice acting i have to admit even if unecessary)
    Gameplay(single player) 7/10 (setbacks low difficulty, no bulletdrop, enemy AI, no real rpg however it tried - still 7/10 because its still fun and big and it has a bow)

Cheers! Biz
  78. Dec 14, 2012
    The game is OK.
    It lacks the depth that far cry 2 had and very quickly becomes repetitive. The graphics are OK, again compared to fc2 when that came out..disappointing. A lot of the things I liked from fc2 have been removed in favour of suiting child like play styles, which given the language in this game, leaves me confused.
    Then there's the storyline, some spoilt rich kid all of a
    sudden overnight learns how to skin animals, make rucksacks, ammo pouches etc, and is instantly proficient with any weapon he picks up! This IMO, makes it very hard to become the character.

That said, the driving is much better in this and then side missions can be fun, dragging you away from they monotamous repetitavness that is the main SL.

7/10 as at least is a relatively good game unlike most the dross released lately, just REALLY annoyed they dumbed the game down.
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a graphically amazing single player experience, with a story that's almost like the movies. Voice acting and motion capture like I've never ever seen it before. Wow! Gunplay, stealth and leveling were all to my liking as well, as was the map. I've played through it three times already, and I think I'll revisit it in the future. On the other hand, the inventory and crafting interface feels weird and clunky, and multiplayer is a disaster like I've never seen before. Non stop server migrations during games! Also, Uplay... Ubisoft's gaming "platform" that introduces a host of problems on it's own. If it weren't for the multiplayer and for UPlay, I'd give this a 10! Still, I recommend it because of some of the most unique experiences i've ever had in a pc game. Expand
  80. Jan 29, 2013
    The single player was exciting and superbly entertaining. I enjoyed beautiful island with all its wildlife and madmen. The greatest downside was the multiplayer. NO DEDICATED SERVERS?? How can a PC multiplayer work without dedicated servers? The game stops and sometimes disconnects when the host leaves, it really gets on my nerves and I did not get the multiplayer experience I had hoped for.
  81. Jan 30, 2013
    This is a very average game. It definitely does not deserve the ratings it was given (especially being called 'Skyrim with guns'. The scenery is very beautiful, booming with biodiversity and luscious colors. The player action mechanics could have been polished a lot more, often I struggle to enter vehicles, door ways, and turrets. Its an open world, but the majority of it is not worth exploring. Your not going to be aimlessly walking around in hopes to find a secret area which will hold some awesome side quest, but instead you will be mostly likely driving/gliding/boating/fast travelling to your next main quest objective. Side quests are a joke as they are repeats of other challenges (hunt this animal, race to his area, kill this one guy in an enemy base). The main quests are the only thing you will want to be doing unless you are killing animals to upgrade your ammo pouches/syringe kits so you can survive the main quests. The main quests were fun in the beginning with the diversity in the formula (car chases, burning down pot fields, tripping on drugs), but after the first half of the game the formula seemed to narrow down to silently killing everything in a base, or fight waves of enemies until your ride gets you out. There's only two types of loot: leafs to make syringes, and things to sell for money (and I mean you literally have to sell them because they serve no other purpose). There is also collecting furs and skins to upgrade your pouches, but upgrading them to the necessary amount to survive the whole game can be done easily before continuing to the second mission. The story line was interesting and realistic for the most part, except for the tattoos, but I also liked that too (this part is all opinion based). The theme which is 'state of society to state of nature' I also liked as it was a new twist from most games. The leveling system was average. It can be best related to a borderlands skill tree. Many main characters often become a thing of the past as you advance through the game. TL;DR: the game is alright, has a lot of potential, but lacks a lot of diversity and does not deserve anywhere close to the ratings and hype they gave for it. Expand
  82. Feb 16, 2013
    Unlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungle is a welcome one. But FC3 was just too dull for me. It felt exactly like FC2 only with a brighter sun and surf on my doorstep. Oh an not having malaria this time is always a delight in gaming.

The story is interesting, Vas is crazy and I must save my moron friends. That works fine in this island paradise. But while on this journey of the mind and sole of my character I grew to, well, there is no easy way to say this hate myself. Not in reality, but within the game. Why, you may ask? Simple, unlike Gordon Freeman, he speaks and what he has to say is of no value and often takes the words out of my mouth before I get to say anything in reality. This happens when I enter a cave or put out an arm fire. He just chimes in and says the obvious. Things like "wow, what a cave amazing place". Yes Jason, we get it.

Me aside, the game world offers very little as far as open world games go. Radio tower scouts, hunting, driving to kill people, you name it. All those dull things just didn't carry any real value to me other than building bigger wallets to buy slightly better weapons once in a while. The camera is also useless as I found I couldn't bring it out to take wonderful screenshots of this oceanic paradise. Why not?! I did enjoy taking over locations. This is something that the game developers have done with such a simple fineness that makes them enjoyable. The main story is not too bad either and worth a good play-through at least once. But if I play through it again, the game would need to be patched to remove any dialogue from my character, he is just so full of um... Solid game, but not as good as it could be. 7/10.
  83. Apr 7, 2013
    Far Cry 3 many things right, but those are overshadowed by its many flaws. This game can be a lot of fun. The sandbox world provides hours of exploration. There are plenty of weapons and upgrades to spice things up, so players can use different tactics to dispatch baddies. I was pleasantly surprised by the lengthy main story. Its missions are segmented, so gamers can explore, tackle side quests, or wreak havoc once a mission is completed. Weapons and abilities upgrade rather quickly. This is a welcome reprieve since many sandbox games require a 40+ hour investment to max things out. My advice: Invest in health upgrades early on. Gunplay is decent. My loadout consisted of an LMG, shotgun, bow, and the Vector. The bow is easily my favorite weapon which is odd because I despise it in Crysis 3. Attaching grenades /molotovs to arrows converts the bow to a precision rocket launcher in seconds. At medium difficulty, the enemies are challenging enough and dish out some serious damage. Graphically the game impresses. Far Cry 3 uses the Dunia 2 engine, a heavily modified version of CryEngine. Fortunately for us, the game runs smoothly and is less glitchy than any Crytek game I’ve played. I find that ironic. Even with an older graphics card under the hood, I had no difficulty running the game on Ultra settings. Now for the bad. Foremost, all the NPC’s look the same. There might be 20 character models for the entire island. Every villager looks the same. Every baddie looks the same. Every old woman looks the same. And it gets worse. The NPC’s have a very, very limited number of lines. Within 30 minutes, you’ll hear everything that will be said on the island. And these same few lines will be repeated for 20+ hours or however long it takes to complete the game. Next, side quests are redundant. At any point in time, players will only be doing one of six things. In a nutshell, Far Cry 3 involves doing the same quests over and over again while killing hundreds of identical baddies who all say the exact same things. Sounds exciting, eh? Yeah, right… The narrative is a bit weak as it tries to force emotions on players that just aren’t there. Despite Far Cry’s gruesome opening, I didn’t feel the urgency to rescue a bunch of stupid rich kids who didn’t know they’re on an island filled with pirates. Despite my distaste for the protagonist and his friends, the story is good. Graphical comparisons are being made between Far Cry 3 and the original Crysis. I vote that Crysis looks better. Even on Ultra, there is still a fair amount of drawing on distant objects and texture quality is hit or miss on different surfaces. Colors are oversaturated much like the original Far Cry (that could be intentional) resulting in plastic looking foliage and props. Frankly, those things don’t really matter. But there is one glaring graphical fault in Far Cry 3: The character models. They’re just plain awful. I’m really baffled by how bad they look and move. As you can tell, I have a huge beef against the NPC’s in this game. Another gripe is the easy exploration. The game indicates locations of everything on the minimap AND players can purchase maps to reveal hidden items. So the “challenge” of exploration is gone. Simply travel to an area, look at your minimap, and get all the goodies. Wow! That was easy! Looting is problematic because prompts don’t always appear and the in game menu displays advertisements breaking the immersion. These issues aren’t game breaking, just incredibly annoying. The multiplayer is a mixed bag and a few steps above the tacked on garbage gamers got with Spec Ops: The Line. If you want to fight in shanty towns wearing t-shirts and sandals, pick up Max Payne 3. Gameplay is average—typical run and gun. The maps are larger than Black Ops 2 with plenty of places to hide, but they’re littered with shacks and debris. So expect an overabundance of close quarters combat. The online experience fares better in co-op mode. It has the potential to be really fun offering at least 10 hours of play in a single run. But players can’t choose which chapters to play, so many get stuck playing the same 2-3 chapters repeatedly. This glaring omission trashes the co-op mode which leads to my biggest complaints against the online experience: shoddy matchmaking and game breaking host migrations. To close, the sandbox experience of Far Cry 3 is truly great compared to most shooters. But too many of the campaign elements are bland and repetitive. The multiplayer has some strong elements, but execution is poor. Considering Ubisoft’s long history with online gaming, the sloppy multiplayer is inexcusable. A game is only as good as the sum of its part, and too many parts are under realized. If you don’t want to avoid a slapdash multiplayer and desire strong RPG elements, Skyrim is the best choice. But if you prefer guns to magic, Far Cry 3 is really the only alternative out right now. Expand
  84. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Please don't pay heed to those who criticize reviews scoring below 7. There is nothing wrong with their reviews. I've played the game through 3 times and can attest to some serious flaws on the PC version of this game.

That said, FC3 is a great game. But the flaws may make it unplayable to some, especially those who are experienced RPG/FPS gamers.

Most annoying is probably the clunky inventory system. You cannot batch sell items, whether they are junk items or not. Doesn't matter if you have five to sell or fifty. Each item requires a double-click, and craft items require a double-click AND an additional click for confirmation on a box pop-up you must move the cursor over to click on. I know that sounds trivial, but imagine going online to buy 36 AAA batteries and each battery you had to click and drag to your shopping cart and then a pop-up box came up after each battery you dragged asking you to confirm you really wanted to purchase that individual battery... 36 times. Imagine doing that whole scenario over and over and over again until the tip of your index finger bled. That's selling off gear in FC3. It yanks you right out of the game. Plus, the slight delay while a jarring sound FX plays after each item is sold makes it even more time consuming and cumbersome. Moreover, when clicking on these items, sometimes the inventory screen will auto-advance to the area where you were selling off inventory and sometimes it won't. As the only mouse scroll function in the inventory system is the relics screen (utterly useless beyond clearing the yellow exclamation icons as relics have no item description), you have to use the arrow keys to scroll down, sometimes for each item you're selling. It kinda' notches the fun meter down a bit in FC3.

Another issue with looting is the extended animation used when looting bodies. It's fun eye candy the first 2-3 times, then becomes tedious and time consuming for the next 1,000+. It also creates the possibility of exposure to your enemies, even if you're looting from cover, as the animation moves you from your original position. Choose to wait until all enemies are dispatched and you risk the chance of the bodies disappearing, leaving only their rifles behind. And if you're using a weapon other than what's equipped on the lootee (You almost certainly are, they only carry two variants, pirates-AK47, privateers-P416). You have to twist and turn until "loot body" displays rather than "swap weapon", as both actions require a long E press. Frustrating, time consuming, unnecessary.

Possibly the biggest issue for many PC gamers are the looong, unskippable cut-scenes. Some requiring rudimentary user input. Not enough to keep you immersed, but enough so that you can't make a mad dash for the head or go for a smoke and skip the whole thing. Not allowing the player to escape the monotony isn't going to win you any friends amongst seasoned gamers, Ubisoft. And I fully agree with previous reviews, if I want to skip the tutorial, I should be allowed to. I won't toss the game in the scrap heap just because of it, but I completely empathize with those that do. There is no reason beyond arrogance and hubris that a game designer wouldn't include that crucial option. They can dress it up how they like, but I'm not buying it's so that we will all be forced to learn the controls and the plot premise. If so, why isn't it skippable on future playthroughs? Yup, that gets old FAST. Other minor annoyances like the constant nagging to do bulletin board quests and the limited NPC dialogue don't bother me as much as some, but it does degrade the experience on repeat playthroughs. This may be intentional, of course. No developer wants to make a game to end all games, someone's gotta' pay for the next one, right? The original Far Cry is still #1 in my book, FC2 is third based on its excruciatingly painful and monotonous repetition. FC3 sits squarely between the two as second best. The (mostly) open world experience, great weapons, fantastic voice acting (apart from Jason and his pals) and especially the wildlife and island beauty that really draw you into the game are all reasons to play. Just be wary ahead of time that a good deal of frustration comes along with it.
  85. Jul 22, 2013
    Okay, but feels mediocre on many different levels. Replayability in the single player as much as people claim, is very low. Sure, it's open world, sure it has a small-time progression system with little crafting. But other than that, this is far from something like let's say skyrim. Not that I was expecting it to be anyways. The biggest complaint I have with this game is the complete lack of content. People say this is very sandbox. And honestly, it really isn't And I mean that truthfully. It is not sandbox. The only thing that makes this game come close to a sandbox is it's freedom of space and it's crafting system. And that's about all of the game's extra content. Kill animals, gather certain stuff from them to "craft" things that should have been there in the first place. It almost seems like they had the game planned out, but decided to cut a lot of stuff from it for you to get on you're own.

Honestly if you are like me and was looking for a game to spend many many many hours on in it's open world doing things, you're better off buying something like Assassin's Creed or Just Cause 2, or GTA, or SOMETHING. This game was a dissopointment and I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes high for it.

This game wants to be skyrim but lacks it's backbone in every aspect.

BTW the multilayer is mediocre as hell and will drop your framerate faster than you can say "oh
  86. May 2, 2013
    Spent 60 on this due to all the glowing reviews about it. Skyrim with guns? Not even close. Pros for this game is the great story line, other than that it's almost borderline boring. Good guys wear blue, bad guys wear red, what they all shop at the same store for a team discount? animals are contained in specific areas, everyone says the same stuff over and over and the other npc's are usually mutes and can't speak at all. This game could have been a lot more, but it should never be compared to Skyrim as it's 1/10th of the same game. Expand
  87. Jun 30, 2013
    I Think it's an interesting game, it is really cool the open world mote, it's just i don't really like the topic of Wild West, well, but in Wild West topic this was the best game i played, crafting and the open world is really cool, the graphics aren't bad at all, I enjoyed the story, the game has some surprises, anyway, the things is, i don't give 10 and 9 to Far Cry 3 because it's good, it is a good game, i didn't find any bugs or any bad things in the game even if i was searching, but the game has nothing good so i don't see a reason to give Far Cry 3 a 9 or 10. Expand
  88. Jan 24, 2014
    Fine game, 7/10. Not the greatest experience, but kept my engaged somewhat throughout the game. The narrative did not seem coherent with the world. Made the experience suffer too much.
  89. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel the game was overall enjoyable, I like the range of weapons and customisations to choose from and the stealth aspect was quite enjoyable and often a good option as on harder difficulties trying to fight multiple enemies became a challenge. However the story, which was promising, became very anti-climatic and lack lustre. I also feel the combat became far too easy when you could simply inject yourself with a syringe to instantly heal or even become invincible (no really) for about 30 seconds, and then pump another when that ran out. The quick heal option and the enemy tagging (which allows you to easily keep track of where enemies are as you can see them through walls) made stealth relatively easy. I found the hunting better than most games but it soon lost meaning as I crafted all the items that needed to be crafted there was no reason to return. Side missions were truly poor and the voice acting terrible for the minor characters. The main and supporting characters (like Vaas, Hoyt, Buck and Sam) are surprisingly well acted with real emotion in their voices and genuinely interesting characters. Overall the gameplay makes it quite enjoyable but the story and side quests let it down, and if your wondering how long it would take to complete my total gameplay hours were about 9 hours (and that was doing everything in game accept from collecting all loot chests/letters and relics). Expand
  90. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the few single player game I've finished. Far Cry 3 offers a lot of freedom, but none i would spend too much time on. I found myself speeding through the main story-line, ignoring all the other content. The hunts, and quests were just icing on the cake, which didn't appeal to me, but did present itself in more variety to other players. There were many exciting moments that kept me drawn into the game, but in the end, it was nothing to remarkable. Nonetheless, Far Cry 3 is still a good game in the most parts. Expand
  91. Feb 23, 2014
    Very satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, and something more serious like Skyrim where the story is pretty deep and enjoyable. Expand
  92. Dec 14, 2012
    The story line reminds me of a low-budget teen film that is not all that interesting, and makes little sense. You play Jason who seems ready to crack under pressure at the slightest hint of a stressful situation, doesn't seem to know really anything, but is somehow transformed into a bad ass, tattoo-wearing warrior that knows his way around a gun and has developed ninja-assassin skills almost over night. Voice acting is good though, except for Jason. They didn't need to have him yelling, "I'm coming Lisa!" while trying to sneak up on enemies. It's an open world, so go where you want (mostly). You can go off on side missions, though they are not very fun. The Trials of Rakyat are the best, which have you doing missions on a timer. All missions earn you money and XP. XP gets you skill unlocks, but don't worry about which skills to get, because eventually, if you complete a bunch of side missions, you'll get them all anyway. The three main side missions: Medical supply drops have you race against a timer. Wanted Dead force you into using stealth to kill a pirate holding out somewhere. Hunting has you tracking down animals. The main purpose of hunting is for crafting larger stuff so you can carry more weapons, ammo, grenades, and money. Most people will want to craft the upgrades right away, so get ready for a few hours of boring hunting, because it sucks running low on ammo, having no room in your sack, or only being able to carry one gun. The stuff you do pick up is pretty much pointless, and is only worth selling off so you can buy stuff for your weapons. But you don't even have to really buy weapons, because the game practically gives them to you free. All you have to do is climb some radio towers that are pretty much left unguarded by the enemy, and easy to climb (this also reveals more of the map). You can take over outposts to make regions safer for you, and less likely to run into enemies. However, this makes it boring in the long run because the enemies never try to take it back, and then the only thing you have to be wary of are the tons of animals that want to constantly eat you, and they can take a full magazine of bullets to the head before dying. Fortunately, you can choose how you want to take an outpost, and it can be a blast; use stealth, go in guns blazing, or blow the heck out of the place-- doing anything but stealth will result in an alarm going off and more enemies showing up that you can kill. It's also kind of cool that they made it so that things actually catch fire, though nothing really gets destroyed. As far as enemies go, they are kind of dumb (but not so dumb that they just run at you). The stuff they say is laughable at first, but after hearing a pirate say the same line for the 100th time about it hurting when he pees, it gets tiresome. They do at least run for cover, but often times that cover is right next to you and all you do is step around the corner and blow them away. Which is easy since you can see the enemy through walls. Yes, that right: if you spot an enemy (especially through your camera or scope) you gain x-ray vision, apparently. As far as graphics go, I think they look great on my rig, playing it in 1080p, setting the FOV higher than the default, and everything turned on high with AA on. What really brings this game down is the repetitiveness of most missions (which are generally very easy to complete), a horrible HUD that constantly pops up messages (supposedly a fix is on the way for that), how EASY it is to beat on normal, and some of the worst bugs I've ever seen in a game on release day. One of the most annoying bugs is a glitch in which a grenade, a Molotov, or other object gets stuck to your characters right arm, and it gets in the way when aiming...in my case it is a grenade. I have also had a glitch where I see the enemy vibrating oddly, or a mission marker not going away after I've completed the mission. Some friends of mine told me they can't progress because of a game-breaking bug they have ran into. Three patches have been released, the first couple attempted to fix some crashing issues, but the last one highlighted a fix for 32 core systems (who is playing this on a 32-core system!?)...so I'm not even sure the game-breaking bugs are going to be addressed. To sum things up: Far Cry 3 is a fun, but a very easy game to beat, that has some very annoying, and game-breaking bugs, and some boring elements to it. At this point, it is a gamble if you are thinking of buying it. Personally, I haven't had one crash or bug that broke my game-- mostly just annoyances. I haven't tried MP, but I bought this mainly for SP mode. I hear MP is trash anyway. I'm hoping a future patch will remove that grenade attached to my wrist, but I won't hold my breath. If I finish the game before then, it will probably sit and collect digital dust in my Steam library with some of the other subpar games I bought this year Expand
  93. Jan 1, 2013
    I'm not gonna lie. Far Cry 3 was probably the most fun I've had with any releases of this year so far. But that's mainly because there wasn't that much else that quite reached it's level in terms of both content and execution. But does that really make it a good game?
    Well....yes. It is good, however people now a days seem to make out everything that is above mediocre to be the greatest
    thing ever, which it really isn't.

I'd say one of it's biggest problems is that it's just all in all not really challenging. I played the game on the hardest difficulty level and even then the enemies aren't much of a thread, especially once you upgrade your health. The healing mechanic is also just broken. You can heal yourself whenever you want and how many times you want, even during combat.. Not to mention that there's also healing syringes that heal you even faster.

The game's also rather grindy. I like the fact that you have to hunt animals to craft new pouches etc, but it would have been more enjoyable if you'd start hunting naturally and not having to go to specific places to find a specific animal in order to craft or upgrade something.
    Far Cry 3 also suffers from what I like to call "Overkill syndrome". Meaning that the beginning is actually the most challenging part of the game, but as you unlock more things, the game becomes progressively easier. So it's exactly the opposite of how a game should progress.

The world it self is pretty empty. The only main attractions are liberating outposts and some side quests that rarely differ. (Kill that guy with a knife, hunt down that animal with a bow).
    Honestly, liberating the outposts is pretty much the best part of the game because it's just simply the most sandbox-y.

I was also rather disappointed by the story. It's so well acted! Vaas (the guy on the cover) is such a great character...but he only gets like 5 minutes of screenplay...and he's only there for like half of the game.
    I think the main problem here is that the characters are just so weakly established. I really didn't care for most of them, even though they had such great performances.
    The ending's also pretty weak. It just pulls a "Choose your ending cutscene" kind of ending.

The multiplayer and CO-OP aren't really noteworthy either. CO-OP is just tagged on mission based **** No exploration, just stand inside of a base and kill incoming enemies.
    As for the competitive Multiplayer, I certainly had more fun with that than co-op, but I don't see it lasting for very long. Though I really liked how they took familiar game modes and put some new mechanics into them. They even added in a new game mode called firestorm which is certainly worth checking out.
    However it suffers from what most multiplayer components suffer from now a days. Having to level up and unlock new gear is tedious and really senseless in a game like this. You can't level up in custom and private matches. And the biggest killer: Match-making only. Why? Because it never **** works. I rarely get into a game that doesn't have at least 2 host immigrations.
    The map editor is certainly a lot of fun to mess around with. However nobody really plays on custom maps because as stated: No leveling in custom matches.

All in all if someone asked me if they should buy the game at full price...sure, go ahead. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had. It's just not as perfect as most people make it out to be.
    if you're only interested in single player anyway, I'd say wait for the price to drop.
  94. Jan 8, 2013
    I have very mixed feelings about this game. Yes its a great shooter with excellent mechanics, interesting scenarios, a very rich and well developed world, there's really no game engine or mechanics related complaints from me. I think that the story, while easy to criticize, was fairly non intrusive and provided some guidance to the progression of the game; this is not an rpg, don't expect an rpg. However at the end of this game, I felt absolutely nothing but disappointed. For a game world of this magnitude, you end up going through only a tiny fraction of it and very seldom in any sort of truly engaging way. There are very few moments of immersion or tension, very few moments of excitement; don't get me wrong, when the sh*t hits the fan in this game it becomes very entertaining and surprising, but the problem is that this just doesn't happen often enough. 80% of the game is spent doing little rpg-element activities or simply travelling... the real guilty parties here are not any of the programmers but rather the directors and designers who just didn't make even remotely adequate use of what their development team handed to them. To give you an example; as part of the huge map, there are WWII era bunker installations all over the place, moldy and ruined and full of atmosphere; and the best way that the designers could come up with to make use of these is to put "letters" in them and tell the player to look for the letters and read them... seriously. That's just a tragic loss of potential and its one of many. Expand
  95. Feb 22, 2013
    Pardon me, but this is half as good as it could be,. Great graphics, great enviroment but really poor variety of gameplay. To me is way worst than Far Cry 2, that at least has a better immersion and more challenging combats, making situations different any time. I mean that they are really similar but the predecessor gave me really more fun than this one. The story also is not deep as it could be.
  96. Dec 29, 2012
    Not too shabby. Good graphics and lots to do, though I find I cannot play for more than a couple hours at a time without getting frustrated or losing interest. There are badguys everywhere all the time and while I have specific goals I want to accomplish, I always end up engaged in firefights and running out of ammo before I can even get to them. The open world 1 player is pretty cool, but the co-op is too linear. There's not enough stuff or slots to carry it in (unless you go farm local fauna/flora.) You get killed after taking 3 or four bullets and restoring health is a sloppy pain. I also find I am running out of ammo too much- there needs to be more arrows laying around. The Hud/minimap and menu controls are just plain clumsy. I think I've been spoiled too much by Borderlands2. If I didn't need to listen for enemies, I would play the game listening to mp3s -the in-vehicle radio play lists are highly annoying. Also, I appreciate the value of a well-placed f-bomb, but the swearing is a little over the top and into the realm of ridiculousness like some potty-mouthed 7th graders wrote the script. With a little more polish, this title could shine instead of glowing moderately. Expand
  97. Jan 6, 2013
    If you have to view Far Cry 3 critically, it's biggest fault is the main character and the fact that the story just isn't very good. It's a decent game though, but things never seem to come together. Not to mention, FC3 has some of the worst boss battles in games to date.

My verdict: A flawed and highly overrated shooter, with moments of sheer brilliance. This is the pinnacle of average gaming
  98. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not get scrolled with mousewheel. Several times you cannot use enter to activate the "Use" or "Ok" or "Next" option. Several functions are inconsistent - in one interface, you click a button to scroll through inventory sort modes in the bottom of the screen, in other, you click left-right arrows near the top of the screen where current sort option is displayed. Overall, interface is just clunky and not optimised for PC. Controls are awful. You cannot have a hold-to-run or hold-to-crouch option. You cannot really change your mouse look precision (lowest setting is still too high for a shooter). You have to set up controls multiple times - one for your guy, one for your guy in the car, and there are numerous bugs involved (like, car part would let you assign a key that is already used for "map" or "heal" but it wont work because map or healing always takes precedence). If you ever happen to accidentatlly reassign left click to something else than shooting, you'll have to spend a LOT of time to get your shooting with left click back (just binding it back will stop your weapon from shooting, even though you can do everything else you usually do with left click in this game). Worst of all - glider and wingsuit controls are NOT reassignable. You will have to use WASD for that even if you changed your control scheme. Even worst - if you reassign your crouch key, you will NOT be able to use wingsuit at all because parachute won't open! And without it, landing on anything except water is instant death. After you get over the console portedness of the game, you will be greeted with other annoyances. First - game LOVES to take control from you and force you through long and tedious unskippable cutscenes, special interactive cutscene-like corridor levels, unskippable long phone calls that repeat every time you reload a game even if you save after hearing that call. A huge tutorial is unskippable, even if you chose "difficulty level for very experienced FPS players" - yeah sure, teach me how to crouch, run or avoid detection. Second - game isnt really always open worded. A lot of times you'll be "locked" into an area of a mission, being unable to leave (leave = you went out of combat zone mission failed forced reload). Third - game constantly makes you pause for actions like map, skill allocation, crafting... this is even more ridiculous than eating on pause in Skyrim. You can make leatherwares, craft medicine of insane properties (like 30 second invulnerability or quad damage) on PAUSED so you dont really need to stock up on any medicine - just bring the reagents with you. This really breaks immersion and constantly takes you out of the game. They could make it like in FC2 where you take out map to look at it, or you'd sit down to sew/craft syringes, look at your tatau to chose which skill to pick next, anything! But not this. However, when you get past all this, Far Cry 3 is a great experience. Its very fun, it feels like truly open world, you can do a lot of stuff, crafting and minigames and activities ARE involving and addictive, hunting treasure or animals is fun and overall, yes, this game is good. If you can manage the bads... Expand
  99. Jan 14, 2013
    Most over rated game of 2012. The story is by far the best part of this game no doubt. Vas is what makes this game I mean the dude is on the cover. Lets face it though once you finish him off there is nothing left to do. You grind through a story that has become less interesting although not yet bad. And once you take the forts on the island there is nothing left to do. The game gives a good 20 hours tops of gameplay and the multiplayer is well done. However the game itself is empty and the plot is filled with holes and cliche copy paste story lines from movies. Expand
  100. Jan 5, 2013
    Good graphics, sounds and excellent visuals. The story and the settings is innovative, even though the storyline itself is quite weak. To make a long story short: This is a GREAT improvement since FC2. However the game is slighly poorly optimized and there is lack of graphic settings for the PC version to make it even higher. Unfortunately, the game suffers when Singleplayer is done. The MP menu's is a mess and seems to be directly ported from the console version. There is no dedicated servers so you'll have to waitin a lobby and experience more unstable gameplay. Multiplayer is also far to dumbed down with features such as enemies on the minimap, killcam, and xray-vision - even though you CAN deactivate all this to your own preference, doing so will ironically, make you end up playing -UNRANKED-, which mean that you cannot gain any XP - at all. All in all, FC3 is by far the best game in the series, but unfortunately its shortcoming makes the experience drop for me and it does not feel like it gives the PC a fair piece of the cake. Expand
  101. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA games these days), the multiplayer is very mediocre, and on the whole, there is practically no replay value. Most of the game's features that are somewhat interesting are soon revealed to be nothing more than gimmicks. Prior to playing the game, I was very excited for the hunting/crafting aspect of the game, and while it was admittedly quite fun hunting exotic animals to craft bigger and better equipment, crafting everything only takes about 2 hours. After which point, there's no need to hunt another animal ever again (unless you're a sadist), as the animal skins are practically worthless. Unsurprisingly, the various animals soon become nothing more than an annoyance. Moreover, any real difficulty that could've been associated with hunting is ruined by being able to tag animals with your camera, and track them anywhere (in real time). There are some boring Path of the Hunter side quests (go here and kill x number of a certain animal), but with the ease and rate at which experience points and money both come, there's no need to ever bother with any of them.

Capturing bases is also quite monotonous; due to dim-witted and illogical AI, capturing a base "undetected" is incredibly easy. You'd think if an enemy found a body with a 50 calibre bullet-hole through its head, they'd raise the alarm, right? Wrong. All that happens is they enter an "alerted" state, where they begin to scour the premises for the intruder (i.e. you). Even when they're in this state, you can still kill them (with even a grenade launcher, if you so please), and so long as no-one's stared at you for 5 consecutive seconds, it's counted as capturing the base "undetected". Oh, and as if it weren't easy enough already, you can track enemies with your camera too, in real time. Ridiculous.

These are just a few of Far Cry 3's ill-conceived design implementations. Others include: merchants deciding to give you free weapons after you climb up a radio tower (?), everything important flashing bright yellow (as if you were too stupid to determine a loot chest from a cardboard box), and being able to see the location of every "collectible" on the map (which really defeats the purpose; instead of trying to find ancient ruins and secret passages, you know exactly each of them are, and it just becomes dull travelling and fetching).

The story is incredibly cliched, and has terrible character development; a kid who has "never shot anyone before" can fire an gun at 100% accuracy with no recoil as soon as he picks it up. There are some Alice in Wonderland quotes thrown in that are supposed to mirror the story, but end up coming off as cringe-worthy. Regardless, I'm sure they'll impress idiots and pseudo-intellectuals alike. Even towards the end of the game, I didn't care about the Rakyat at all; I often killed them as soon as they drove into my newly-captured base just so I didn't have to listen to one of them tell me to check out the bulletin board for the 20th time. Graphically, the game is nothing really special. Serious LOD discrepancies, especially with distant objects, and flickering textures and shadows make the game look very sub-par. Some objects do not even have distant levels of detail, and just dissolve in from thin air when you're a certain distance away. Bloom lighting makes everything overbright, however, the sun-glare effect is very nice. Also, the visuals during hallucinogenic drug-induced scenes are very impressive.

After completing the main story and capturing every base, there's effectively no point in continuing to play, since no enemies remain on the island, which makes free roaming incredibly boring. There is also very little replay value, since it's incredibly easy to gain every skill, and the stealth approach is almost always preferable to going in guns blazing.

Conclusively, I'd only recommend getting this game to someone who has a lot of money to waste, and wants to be entertained for 10 hours or so before never playing it again. There are much better open-world shooters out there, such as the GOTY Edition of Fallout 3, and GTA IV, which cost about a quarter of the price and last more than four times as long.

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013