Far Cry 3 PC

8.2

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Having played Far Cry 2 and getting bored before finishing it, I wasn't sure whether it was worth playing this, but it was on steam for 5 quid and a friend told me it was much better. He was totally right!! I really enjoyed playing through this game and even once the story missions was over I wanted to continue, which is rare for me.

I think the main improvements on the last game (which

I think the main improvements on the last game (which I can't remember all that well tbh) are the emphasis on hunting and crafting items and the storyline which I thought was strong if a little far fetched, but hey, we don't always play games/watch TV/read for realism anyway. I thought the voice acting was good especially from the various antagonists. Graphics as with FC2 are very good and ran well on my mid level machine after quite a bit of tweaking.

My main criticism of this game was no proper support for playing with both gamepad mouse and keyboard as driving is a right pain with the keyboard and I like to have the option when not engaged in combat to choose between the two (helps with the RSI's lol). The only reason I can think why they did this is because of the use of prompts throughout the game. Anyway I found a WORK AROUND of sorts which was to set it to gamepad (I used a wireless 360) and when I switched it off it automatically switched to mouse and keys, and back again when I switched back on. You'd think it would have been easy enough to automatically switch the prompts to the last input device used on the fly, right!?

If you're going to play this make sure you spend a good chunk of time early on, hunting, crafting, and capturing radio towers (unlocks weapons as well as maps). Also make use of the camera when preparing to raid a camp as it make life a lot easier, as do some of the syringes.

I'm giving this a 9 but it's probably more like 8.6

Funniest/Most disturbing moment of the game "You know...I never thought I'd be able to kill someone. The first time, it felt wrong. Which is good, right? But now...it feels like winning."

Probably gonna do some more "winning" on FC3 Blood dragon next or maybe Skyrim which I just got for dirt cheap off steam as well. Happy days :D
  2. Jun 23, 2014
    Maybe my expectations are low. But I was looking for a new kind of game and I found it. I hate hard games where you get stuck, but Far Cry is hard enough. I hate games that are repetitive and require saves and loads and dying. Worse like Dues Ex you have to remember when you saved it and what you did so you don't do it again or miss something (otherwise Dues Ex is great!) Far Cry is theMaybe my expectations are low. But I was looking for a new kind of game and I found it. I hate hard games where you get stuck, but Far Cry is hard enough. I hate games that are repetitive and require saves and loads and dying. Worse like Dues Ex you have to remember when you saved it and what you did so you don't do it again or miss something (otherwise Dues Ex is great!) Far Cry is the right mixture of RPG and action. I don't like pure action and I don't like RPG's but this combo is excellent. I have found no bugs. It hasn't crashed on me. It runs smoothly. The enemy are as intelligent as they need to be. . I can't give it 10 because maybe Far Cry 4 will be better and I wont know how to score it... How anybody can give it less than 5 I really don't know. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2014
    +Impressive Stealth
    +Weapon Customisation is a Lot of Fun to Use
    + Hunting Animals are Fun
    The Cons -
    - Vaas needed more screen time
    - Boss Battles are Quick Time Events

Overall Verdict -
    9/10 Incredible
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    As a fat gay dad, I really enjoyed this game. The weapons are varied and the stealth is well realised. You can run over wildlife in this game. No penises or obese women.
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game I have played and I think that many people also liked it
    because the game has a good plot and a beautiful graphics similar to Crysis 3.
    I have rated this game on 9 because I saw some bugs for example: when I was
    bitten by shark, protagonist began to pull the bullet out of the hand. Another
    reason why you must play this game, it is the antagonist Vaas Montenegro
    (leader of the pirates). He is cruel and unpredictable also he is always
    swearing. Despite small disadvantages the game is interesting and very colorful.
  6. Jun 2, 2014
    Definitely get this game if it is on sale for $20 or under, it's packed full of great stealth sequences which are fluid and rewarding, a skill tree packed with innovative and useful perks, excellent gunplay with a medley of interesting weapons, all allowing for your own unique playstyle(burn your enemy out with molotovs, flare guns or flamethrowers, or carefully snipe your enemy with bowsDefinitely get this game if it is on sale for $20 or under, it's packed full of great stealth sequences which are fluid and rewarding, a skill tree packed with innovative and useful perks, excellent gunplay with a medley of interesting weapons, all allowing for your own unique playstyle(burn your enemy out with molotovs, flare guns or flamethrowers, or carefully snipe your enemy with bows and snipers, or even go full out rambo with LMGs and shotguns), and a great, subversive story which isn't so much about a white American stoner going to an island and killing lots of people, as it is about the true cost and insanity of living in a fantasy world and thinking that killing lots of people is a wonderful thing. Some people claim that halfway through the game, it loses its pacing, but for me personally, I think that all the characters are strong enough to keep on carrying the story forward in an engaging fashion, and even if they don't, then the gameplay always feels novel as you experiment with the wide range of guns, takedown techniques, and playstyles to become the ultimate hunter. Expand
  7. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jason Brody was never meant to be a killer, from the moment player’s step into his shoes Jason is scared and horror stricken as he watches his brother murder to try and liberate them from the pirates. Soon afterwards his brother is murdered by Vaas, the pirate leader who’s kidnapped his friends and family, alone and frightened Jason is taken in by the villagers who call this island home after narrowly escaping from the pirates.
    The tone of Far Cry 3 is set now, the game is dark and bleak, making players reconsider their own morals on violence. Jason doesn’t start off right away as wanting revenge, he simply wants to save his younger brother Riley and his friends. The power he feels every time he takes down an enemy is intoxicating, he enjoys it. An insecure young man now finds himself with a purpose, even telling another shell shocked friend that killing feels “like winning”.
    The game immerses you instantly, with splendid voice acting, Vaas gets inside the player’s head, questioning the insanity and futileness of never being able to kill the player. Through hallucinations and cut scenes the players discover the chill inducing similarities between Jason and Vaas. Causing the question to arise of whether or not the choices Jason makes can be considered morally right. The game brings forth the question, how far are you willing to go for those you care for? And what kind of person will you be after making those decisions?
    This lead to the moral dilemma of whether to go mass killing sprees to take over pirate bases, this is not necessary to further the plotline but is incredibly helpful to the player. Providing experience the more people that Jason kills the better he becomes earning experiences that can be used to buy upgrades to better handle weapons and fight. The bases also provide places for the player to sell goods and buy more supplies to further them along, taking over more bases also allows for new weapons to be unlocked that are incredibly powerful.
    Loss of control is the central theme moving the story along, from seeing the unhinged Vaas snapping at Jason and falling over the edge into insanity. Jason’s friends are shown to be unhinged or having completely lost it after days of torture. Jason is no exception from this, the man who once whimpered at the idea of someone being killed has now come to enjoy the slaughter, and it feels like winning after all.
    Not only for Jason but for the player as well, as Jason is developed and his transition from average civilian to ruthless killer, the player transitions with him. As the player progresses they can find ways they are most comfortable with in order to gain the most experience as well as having the game become easier as they upgrade. Being able to shoot open pens to have locked up tigers and bears attack pirates for you and allow you to take over the bases quicker can be a thrilling experience. The opportunity to cause raw chaos is invigorating, and why not throw in a Molotov while the base is in a panic? Nothing quite as fear inducing as a flaming bear coming right for your face. Feels like winning indeed.
    Far Cry 3 is a first person shooter that treats its characters and player for what they are, people with consciousness and their own moral standing. Should mass shooter games really be this enjoyable? Should the amount of violence and chaos seen be so naturally addictive to create? Maybe not, but it is.
  8. May 28, 2014
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 9.2

Much better than far cry 2. It´s quality is like the first one and and these are good news. Graphics are amazing.
  9. Sep 16, 2014
    An amazing game, really fun to play, and with outstanding graphics. The controls are really enjoyable, and the history has some flaws, but Vaas character is simply one of the best villains of all game history.
  10. Jun 20, 2016
    Far Cry 3 is a lovely postcard from the tropical island of Rook to any FPS fans, filling itself with blood, guns, insane pirate leaders, beautiful sceneries and a young protagonist that is able to perform a lot of incredible tricks.
  11. Jan 24, 2016
    The storyline is great. Beatifull. Awesome. I like it. Vaas? GREAT bad guy. Theres not that many great bad guys around anymore in the video game industry. The boss of Vaas? Meh, he dosen't feel like Vaas. Graphics? Great. Sandbox? Fricking awesome. I got nothing to complain abo... well actually: After you kill all the pirates on the 2 islands, theres nothing to do. There is no enemies. IfThe storyline is great. Beatifull. Awesome. I like it. Vaas? GREAT bad guy. Theres not that many great bad guys around anymore in the video game industry. The boss of Vaas? Meh, he dosen't feel like Vaas. Graphics? Great. Sandbox? Fricking awesome. I got nothing to complain abo... well actually: After you kill all the pirates on the 2 islands, theres nothing to do. There is no enemies. If theres no enemies, the game is boring. The game is over. I played it for 26 hours. Now THATS a good amount of time. Expand
  12. Jul 3, 2014
    Every now and then, I get an urge to play a good single player FPS. Far Cry has tended to be one of the more challenging, pretty, story-rich, and eccentric single player experiences I've encountered in an FPS. Far Cry 3 did not disappoint in this regard.

After Ubisoft took over development from Crytek after the first Far Cry, the series has taken a decidedly Assassin's Creed (AC hereinafter) feel in terms of how information is presented to the player, as well as how the world is revealed to the player. This means a classic AC map interface wherein all of the "stuff" you can do in the game is hidden until you scale tall radio towers (AC: climb tall buildings), fix the radio (AC: look around to see where everything is), and use a zip-line to alight safely back to the ground (AC: jump off tower into bale of hay). At this point, all activities you can partake in are available to you on the map. Once you head out to actually DO activities, the classic Far Cry feel returns. Reasonably challenging enemies that are much more challenging when you run in and try to gun everyone to death (this very well may result in death, in fact it's likely). If you did that in Far Cry (1) you were likely toast.

The environment is a beautiful lush jungle atmosphere with small-to-large villages scattered throughout. There's no way you'll be able to see where everyone you must take out is without doing a little bit of scouting first. THEN, after you've scouted everyone, then maybe you can run and gun successfully, mainly thank in part to the mark that remains on the top of the head of scouted enemies. One other thing to mention, enemies won't let you just sit in cover. They will flank you. They will be aggressive. Running around and using different cover and flanking them yourself is recommended! Oh, and uh, if you've never played a Far Cry before, enjoy the wildlife! They make things very interesting! Especially when they show up while you are trying to take over an encampment/village. And eat you.

Now, I said story-rich...don't take that to mean Pulitzer Prize winning writing. I just meant that this isn't your now-typical 5 hour Call of Duty campaign where you know nothing about the protagonist and those that surround him other than their battle skills. The story is pretty over-the-top, but that's part of the fun. Far Cry never takes itself too seriously and makes the player feel like a badass without making them feel too invincible. The music direction by Brian Tyler is pretty much spot on with some gems thrown in there...think very different types of music put in basically what are the perfect spots. They all fit so well and only added to my personal experience. I especially loved post-rock tracks.

With all the Steam sales Far Cry 3 has seen, I'm willing to bet many of you have already picked it up, and maybe even played it. But for those of you who have not purchased it, it is a solid buy for $30 and an absolute steal at anything $20 and under. If you already own it and it's sitting in your library uninstalled, then I recommend installing it and taking it for a spin. Personally, the experience was very fun and worth the time I spent playing (approx 30-40 hours, closer to 40 and I didn't do every last thing in the game).
  13. Aug 12, 2014
    I was expecting a lot from this game and that is what i got. Good graphics, not heavy for the PC, nice controls, nice story, all.
    Single player mode is great (maybe too easy?), feels like you are in a movie. Story is really involved.
    Co-op mode is a great addition as well.
    I really recommend it.
  14. Aug 16, 2014
    Farcry 3 is one of those games were you think why do I ever play multiplayer games. What I'm trying to say is that the game is absolutely beautiful, the gunplay is a mixture of satisfying and realistic, the stealth works great, the enemy ai is for the most part pretty smart, the open world is massive and there is always something to see or do, the story is exciting and tense (it is aFarcry 3 is one of those games were you think why do I ever play multiplayer games. What I'm trying to say is that the game is absolutely beautiful, the gunplay is a mixture of satisfying and realistic, the stealth works great, the enemy ai is for the most part pretty smart, the open world is massive and there is always something to see or do, the story is exciting and tense (it is a combination of pocahontus and taken) you will meet some of the strangest well thought out characters in any game you will ever play. A fantastic fps, open world sandbox and in my opinion it is better than crysis 1. The only critiisimeses I have is uplay because it is just an inconvenience it always needs updating, starting up farcry 3 takes longer because it has to go through steam then start up uplay and it is constantly going offline which disturbs the game, lets be honest no consumer wants uplay to exist but I can get past it to play an awesome game. Expand
  15. Aug 30, 2014
    A very good shooter game...Very good graphics and pretty awesome environmental depictions!! The game has very good use of plenty guns! There some annoying animals which sometimes ruin your misions!!
  16. Sep 21, 2014
    Great story line and awesome game experience. The game itself is quite challenging but never let me down to finish it till the end. I always love the open world concept throughout the game. The visual is stunning and the island environment was convincing.

Unfortunately, there are few things that can be improved, first, when I play on the mission, I cant run from it or I will failed the mission itself. Thus, I prefer that I can run from any mission and redo it whenever I want.

Secondly, in any of the difficult mission, once you reach at one of its checkpoint and died during the mission, let say, you just passed through the cave (first checkpoint) and reach the second checkpoint but at this checkpoint, you died being shot by random soldiers. When I was re-spawn or reborn ed which is at the last checkpoint (second checkpoint), the soldiers that hit me was gone. I thought it was glitches but it happened for few times. Hope someone can do something upon this matter.

But overall, the game was great and no regret to spend your 25 hours to play it.
  17. Sep 10, 2015
    Okay this game is amazing probably in my top 10 this year. The visuals are great the game play great even the characters are great.This a game i would have even bought on release.
  18. Oct 16, 2014
    For me it's one of my favourite games. It was awesome. Do you still remember all of these hereos in this game? Yes I do. Great soundrack anyway. Huge map, You can play it your own way. You play it how long you want. Great graphic. I really glad that I could try this game.
  19. Oct 23, 2014
    This game really set the bar high for any possible successors. Took the best things from Far Cry 2 and improved on it. Ubisoft really listened to their fan base. Played this game 3 times and I'm still going.
  20. Nov 28, 2014
    Despite not being a large first person action guy, i found this game very enjoyable and well worth the minimal amount i paid. Plenty to do and great mission variation. Thoroughly recommended and looking forward to playing number 4 :)
  21. Nov 20, 2016
    This game is the first Far Cry game I ever play. The Characters are well presented and well voiced and the story was okay to say the least.

The graphics were fairly decent and the setting has a great atmosphere. The huge open world gives you things to do. The Characters were decent and memorable.The villain is the best of the franchise. Vaas is intimidating,scary,insane and brutal, he is one of my favourites but the main antagonist is Hoyt Volker, a generic Villain(Far cry 4's Pagan Min is much better).Citra, very complicated and she is just weird. The main protagonist Jason Brody who was okay but little known background of him, other characters are forgettable. Story is decent enough and the ending was like what the f**k?

The open world gives a great atmosphere and freedom to kill bastards and grand theft auto out of it but it has limitations but who cares. The missions are fun and interesting sometimes repetitive and also the side missions are pointless. So many features. The game is hard for first time players of the game (like me) but this why I love this game so much,screaming to a monitor because I failed, I love it. The game is beautiful and polished to say a few.

Far Cry 3 is an excellent gaming experience but it has some flaws too, which they will improve later on a next game or an update, but then again no game is perfect. Far Cry 3 is best of the series, played 4 and primal(Primal is the worst). Far Cry 3 is worth to revisit and still hold up.
  22. Jul 30, 2016
    Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva. Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva.
  23. Jun 22, 2016
    Best Far Cry Game of the whole series. FC4 was bad and Primal speaks for itself, noone bought it.
    They made this Game greate and did bad Game after. Atleast they didn't use denuvo back then.
  24. Jan 3, 2016
    Excellent world design with great combat. Very good environment interaction. Lots to do. Serviceable story.

Graphics: 10
    Game play : 9
    Combat: 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 9
    Immersion: 9
    Story: 7
  25. Oct 28, 2016
    Ya se que estoy escribiendo la review un poco tarde, pero de algo servirá.
    Este juego es una joya que todo jugador debe tener en su colección, en mi caso lo compré en 2016, y aun así no me ha decepcionado para nada.
    Ya se que estoy escribiendo la review un poco tarde, pero de algo servirá.
    Tiene una gran jugabilidad, es más aunque el manejo de los coches sea bastante malo, te diviertes conduciéndolos, después respecto al modo historia, he de decir que se desarrolla muy bien su trama ya que te va consiguiendo enganchar poco a poco y cuando menos te lo espera se acaba con un grandioso final, porque ese tiroteo con esa pedazo de música te motiva mucho, eso si también tiene puntos negativos y para mi el más grande es cada batalla cuerpo a cuerpo las cuales aun siendo muy importantes solo consisten en una serie de quick time events, pero a pesar de este fallo la historia sigue siendo muy divertida.
    Cuando te pones a capturar el primer campamento te sientes libre ya que puedes entrar por cualquier lado al campamento y con todas las posibilidades que tienes de capturarlo, desde ir sigiloso o ir con toda tu artillería disparando a cualquier cosa que se mueva, eso si me parece muy bien que se premie más al sigilo que a la locura.
    También puedes capturar una serie de torres las cuales al destruir un aparato que estará situado arriba del todo te completará un trozo de mapa, estas torres aunque no muy difícil de llegar a la cima, según vas avanzando en la historia te das cuenta de que cada vez tienes que pensar más que tienes que hacer para subir un piso más y eso es una cosa que creo que le falta a cualquier campaña de un shooter, a lo que yo denomino "momento puzle".
    También he probado los otros dos modos de juego, el modo cooperativo, el cual me parece que está bastante bien y más al jugar con amigos; pero creo que el modo multijugador sobra ya que es una copia de todos los shooters actuales mal hecha.
    En conclusión he de decir que Far Cry 3 es un juegazo el cual recomiendo a cualquiera (excepto si lo único que quieres jugar es el modo multijugador).
  26. Mar 9, 2016
    Excellent game worth every penny of its price GOOD JOB UBISOFT. Far cry 3 is really one of my favourite games of all time back in 2012, i was so hyped for this game i couldn't wait to play this game on my pc.
    Gameplay is fantastic absolutely incredible , story is very nice but gets weird at the end,the world is extremely big, weapons are amazing, animations are amazing, performance is alright not the best but not the worst, overall the game is great it is definitely a MUST OWN!!!
  27. Mar 14, 2016
    This game blew me away! I didn't expect to love it so much! Great characters, great story, great variety, and I can still go back to replay this, it's so fun! Vaas is one the greatest villains in any video game I've ever played! And the story is really emotional and deep, and Jason's whole trans-formative arc is epic. Only loses a point due to a rubbish co-op campaign, otherwise, perfect 10.
  28. Apr 12, 2016
    GOOD: Very entertaining game, fun to play, nice graphics, nice quality overall, like the tower/camp structure, variate approach to objectives (be creative).
    BAD: Too easy, sometime map feels empty in some areas, animals are a little to hard to kill xD, boss fights not very inspired.
  29. May 26, 2016
    This is one of the best open world games that you can find out there the game gets everything right the gameplay,the story,the characters and the open world.the game is brimming with things to do like shoot bad guys,upgrade weapons,liberate outposts etc.The best character in this game is Vaas who is the antagonist of this game and you play as Jason Brody a guy who has been kidnapped on anThis is one of the best open world games that you can find out there the game gets everything right the gameplay,the story,the characters and the open world.the game is brimming with things to do like shoot bad guys,upgrade weapons,liberate outposts etc.The best character in this game is Vaas who is the antagonist of this game and you play as Jason Brody a guy who has been kidnapped on an island along with his friends while they were on a vacation after Jason escapes the prison he meets some people who help him to find his friends.The main problem with this game is the final boss fight which is TERRIBLE because it just a lazy QTE brawl otherwise this game is a must play easily one of the best open world games of all time. Expand
  30. Jun 30, 2016
    Beautiful scenery, interesting and unique characters, exciting and non-repetitive plot, good range of weapons, endless amount of things to do besides the main story, fun gameplay such as killing the animals and performing take downs on enemies... idk man i could go on forever this game is great :P
  31. Jan 5, 2014
    Good game with great open environments. Story keeps you engaged and keeps giving you a reason to push forward. Eventually some of the open world aspects continue to feel repetitive. For the price I paid for this game (5 dollars) it was well more than worth my money.
  32. Jan 2, 2013
    Far Cry 2 was far from a perfect game, but I
  33. Dec 9, 2012
    I wasn't really expecting too much from this title. AAA FPS's generally have very short campaigns nowadays and unmemorable simplistic COD mechanics. Far Cry 3 isn't bucking this trend, but it's actually a pretty fun game despite it's genre redundancy due to a gorgeous backdrop and cinematic flare. The narrative, while simplistic, is fun and the voicework is solid. I really liked Vaas,I wasn't really expecting too much from this title. AAA FPS's generally have very short campaigns nowadays and unmemorable simplistic COD mechanics. Far Cry 3 isn't bucking this trend, but it's actually a pretty fun game despite it's genre redundancy due to a gorgeous backdrop and cinematic flare. The narrative, while simplistic, is fun and the voicework is solid. I really liked Vaas, and found him to be an entertaining antagonist. Take everything in Far Cry that was BAD and FIX IT while throwing out all the elements that worked. Then take all the elements of Far Cry 2 that were BAD and FIX THAT...but throw everything out that made Far Cry 2 work. Throw in some Skyrim and Dead Island and now you have Far Cry 3. I know this genre mashup and blatant lifting of mechanics from other popular games sound tired, but it's actually quite inspired in implementation and everything meshes nicely. Dunia 2 looks amazing and performs really well on my 8320/5770/8gb DDR3 maxed. I don't understand the visual complaints regarding this game. My rig ain't no slouch, but it is by no means any beast either. Game is gorgeous, the facial animation system is really nice, draw distance is impressive. It's definitely a ONE time playthrough. Buy it now if you are in desperate need of a distraction, or wait for it to drop to 29.99 a year from now...but definitely worth a purchase even if you aren't really a Far Cry or fps fan. Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2014
    Its a fair game, with many positive regards to nature and beautiful world to explore. I just wish the intro was less stupid and less american-like. The multiplayer is questionable, but that's understandable in this kind of game.
  35. Dec 19, 2012
    Almost a perfect score, denied for a few issues that may or may not get fixed in time. Basically the game is a great all rounder... solo is fantastic, co-op is fun, and the multi is good fun too.... the problems are basically that it uses p2p game matching rather than dedicated hosting... so the main multiplayer mode is pretty much dire state due to people hosting with crap pings and lowAlmost a perfect score, denied for a few issues that may or may not get fixed in time. Basically the game is a great all rounder... solo is fantastic, co-op is fun, and the multi is good fun too.... the problems are basically that it uses p2p game matching rather than dedicated hosting... so the main multiplayer mode is pretty much dire state due to people hosting with crap pings and low bandwidth etc. The second annoyance is custom maps made with the editor cant use ai npcs and animals or even vehicles for anything else but solo challenges, need to have them unlocked for all modes ASAP. While these are big problems it's not enough to call this a bad game, it's great. Expand
  36. Oct 13, 2014
    They basically took all the gameplay elements of an Assassin's Creed game and adapted them for Far Cry. Towers in Assassin's Creed become camps in Far Cry. Viewpoints become radio towers. Swan diving into a hay stack becomes ziplining. And it works. It's simple and keeps you coming back.

The shooting mechanics and animations are fantastic. The crafting, the tattoo system, the weapon upgrading, it all works wonderfully. And there is plenty of content. And co-op which I haven't yet tried.

The story is very good despite not making sense most of the time. The voice acting is excellent for the most part, however the islanders all have the same **** voice and look identical. Story takes about 20-30 hours depending on how fast you go. The soundtrack (composed by Brian Tyler) is amazing.

Unfortunately there's Uplay, and parts of the game don't look that great thanks to the last-gen potatoes. Strangely, I had trouble maintaining 60 fps at higher than Medium settings, but MSAA and High textures weren't a problem. Noticed some occasional stuttering for whatever reason, but nothing too bad. Vsync was a little finicky.

I do wish there was a little more to Far Cry 3. The gameplay design felt very conservative and tried-and-true. I would like to see some new things in Far Cry 4.
  37. Dec 28, 2012
    Huge improvement on FC2 in every area so far, in my opinion. The story and characters are actually interesting this time, the island looks amazing, and the gunplay and weapon choices really have me hooked as well. The game does have some obvious flaws but because the core mechanics are so well done, they really don't take much away from the experience. Just to name some things thatHuge improvement on FC2 in every area so far, in my opinion. The story and characters are actually interesting this time, the island looks amazing, and the gunplay and weapon choices really have me hooked as well. The game does have some obvious flaws but because the core mechanics are so well done, they really don't take much away from the experience. Just to name some things that bothered me, most of the side quests and activities are pretty boring and feel pointless such as the supply runs. Also because enemies stop respawning when you take an outpost, if you conquer the entire island, it makes it entirely boring in the areas you've captured. However, there are a few mods out there now fix this issue either by making it so wiping an outpost doesn't bring it under your control, or being able to reset them all. WITH THOSE MODS, I would give it a 9 or 10 but I'm judging the vanilla game here. Expand
  38. Mar 17, 2014
    Generally a really well done, fun game but it cannot match the supreme experience of Far Cry 2 - though that in itself is no shame. The combat works well, the new takedown mechanisms add to the stealth options but in the end the AI is too blind for stealth to truly work and reach the same heights as in Far Cry 2. Stealth is most fun in the beginning before you realize just how close andGenerally a really well done, fun game but it cannot match the supreme experience of Far Cry 2 - though that in itself is no shame. The combat works well, the new takedown mechanisms add to the stealth options but in the end the AI is too blind for stealth to truly work and reach the same heights as in Far Cry 2. Stealth is most fun in the beginning before you realize just how close and visible you need to get to get caught. Once you realize that, you tend to stop trying.

I recommend Ziggy's mod for an improved challenge and gameplay experience but the vanilla is also an enjoyable ride if you like it easy.

The game starts off at its strongest point and then slowly slides. The first island is great fun and both exploring and fighting is just addicting. However, as you get all your skills, weapons and move on to the second island, it starts to slide slightly and by the end it's all routine. The story also falls short, unfortunately, and by the end it straight up stumbles. The ending, whichever you choose, is awful.

That said, the awesome graphics and fun game mechanics make this a great game overall and it should be played by any FPS fan. The best shooter made since its prequel.
  39. Feb 19, 2013
    This game was pretty enjoyable. It fixed many of the issues I had with Far Cry 2, but made some changes I wasn't ready to accept. I know this goes against the consensus, but the story in this game was quite ridiculous. The tribal nonsense, the quick time events, and the oh-so-tiring explosive action sequences found in every other shooter game made me miss the more realistic story of FarThis game was pretty enjoyable. It fixed many of the issues I had with Far Cry 2, but made some changes I wasn't ready to accept. I know this goes against the consensus, but the story in this game was quite ridiculous. The tribal nonsense, the quick time events, and the oh-so-tiring explosive action sequences found in every other shooter game made me miss the more realistic story of Far Cry 2. My only other legitimate complaint is that the PC version feels shafted. The visuals don't look too terribly impressive, at least not enough to justify the low framerates I get on my mid range PC. The mouse on the menu doesn't respond that well. But don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic sequel and perhaps the best shooter I've played for a while. Expand
  40. Dec 8, 2012
    The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it,The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it, is carried by the story, this is a major eyesore in what is otherwise a very fun, and intense open-world game. I won't spoil anything for you, but let's just say there were many times where I had to just turn my brain off and force myself not to think about what just happened. The characters, and much of the voice acting, however, are top notch. I could write more about the game here, but long Metacritic user reviews look like crap and nobody wants to read a wall of text. So should you play this game? Yes. Absolutely. Just make sure you don't think too hard about it, and also make sure you crank the difficulty all the way, because the game is far too easy even on the highest difficulty. Like a Michael Bay film, Far Cry 3 isn't going to win your heart and stimulate you intellectually, but with the right hardware and a bag of popcorn, it's still a pretty darn good time. And damn if it doesn't have one of the greatest intros to a shooter I've played. Expand
  41. Jan 22, 2013
    The first half of this game is great. The antagonist give you the chills in a similar way hat the Joker does for Batman. The second half of this game continues its solid gameplay, but the story is total crap.
  42. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very very enjoyable game. Great story (which unfortunately loses steam after the sudden and inglorious ending of the beautifully-acted Vaas character), fun gameplay, and crafting that doesn't take up much of your time. A beautiful, though imperfect, little sandbox that is well worth the time it takes to play through. Expand
  43. Dec 20, 2012
    Not perfect, but if you can ignore the idiotic over-arching plot there's some great dialog and characters. The gunplay is the tightest and most satisfying I can recall in any game and the world is gorgeous. It outdoes Just Cause 2 as a "just run around and enjoy" game, and that's saying something.
  44. Mar 31, 2013
    I like the game, because the world is so big and full of things to explore, but i dislike that i'm forced to do the Main Quest to unlock allmost every skill to unlock. I have explored the first island entirely and have a dozen skill points unused, because i have only rescued Daisy and Liza. And it is also a bit frustrating that the game crashes sometimes several times in a row.
  45. Dec 8, 2012
    Pros: Very very well optimized game engine. Smooth as butter with the latest nvidia beta drives that increase Far Cry 3 FPS by 37%. The combat is decent (but super easy no challenge on max difficulty). The map is huge. A PC game that is a pleasure to play with the 360 controller on the sofa.
    Cons: Poor AI. Repeated character model and dialogue use - this is really really bad - you see the same identical npcs everywhere (like 10 times as bad as skyrim). While the map is large, it feels small because combat only occurs on about 1% of the map.

God i wish there was a patch that increased the difficulty.... cuz the combat is stupidly simple.
  46. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favorites, FC3 is an amazing game.

For starters, the game is beautiful, and Rook Island looks amazing. The takedown mechanics are solid, stable and really fun! Shooting is satisfying, and also stable. But I do have some complaints about this. For starters, money becomes almost useless late game. You unlock guns after activating radio towers, so what's the point of buying
    One of my favorites, FC3 is an amazing game.

But I do have some complaints about this. For starters, money becomes almost useless late game. You unlock guns after activating radio towers, so what's the point of buying them? Hunting can also be a chore, and sometimes the animals don't even spawn at their designated spawn ground.

The single player is the best feature of the game. It has a somewhat generic storyline to it, but it's not vital to understanding the game. You're some random kid who gets captured by pirates and now you have to save your friends from the hands of the island's mercenaries, pirates, etc...
    There aren't a lot of guns, but at least you can add modification attachments, and apply paint jobs to them. The environment is detailed and lush, and the graphics are fantastic.

I would give this game a 10, but the multiplayer is this game's Achilles Heel.
    The standard multiplayer is a generic pirate vs rakyat combat with no new innovation or fun. Leveling up isn't as rewarding or satisfying as leveling up in Battlefield. When I discovered that this game had a Coop mode and you could play with your friends, I was ecstatic! But when we finally played it, we were disappointed.
    The Coop is really just a set of really boring missions that revolves around stopping some captain or something, I don't know, i didn't pay attention to the story. Why couldn't Ubisoft make the Coop an open world mode? Imagine driving around Rook Island, you at the steering wheel and a friend in the turret, ready to take down pirates! That's what I was expecting, not the boring generic stupid coop missions.
    The missions hold no variety, there are quicktime events, you have to repair some random piece of machinery, you need to do this and do that, it gets very tedious after a while.
    Granted, the missions can be a little bit fun, but when you get up to the carrying missions, you wish you were playing the single player. There are times where you have to pick up bombs, missiles or other random crap and take it to a place. When you're holding the item, you can't sprint or crouch, you can't shoot. If your friend(s) can't defend you, you lose the mission! What a joke.
    Also, they removed the fire-spread system from coop. The flamethrower is incredibly OP when held by a flamer. It can insta-down you almost quickly, but the flamethrower in your hands is nothing more than a water gun.

Don't expect great multiplayer out of this. Only play the singleplayer.
  47. May 18, 2013
    Wonderful graphics. Interesting story with really well done voice acting. The collection quests are crap though and a lot of the side quests feel like filler. Only reason to do them is to unlock signature weapons. Everything is marked on the map so there is no real exploration which really kills the point of open world. But it seems every open world game does this now. The world isWonderful graphics. Interesting story with really well done voice acting. The collection quests are crap though and a lot of the side quests feel like filler. Only reason to do them is to unlock signature weapons. Everything is marked on the map so there is no real exploration which really kills the point of open world. But it seems every open world game does this now. The world is really well done though, the combat is fun and entertaining, and if you spend time collecting relics etc, you get a lot of life from the game. Expand
  48. Feb 13, 2013
    The AI is seriously dumb man. I mean, leaving a tiger in their camp, surrounded by the flimsiest of cages, all pointing more-or-less in one direction and blindly chasing after the sound of a pebble hitting the floor. What chance do they have against Jason Brody, an unstoppable geezer with a tatoo and a flamethrower! It's an open-world game, with a linear plot that doesn't take itself tooThe AI is seriously dumb man. I mean, leaving a tiger in their camp, surrounded by the flimsiest of cages, all pointing more-or-less in one direction and blindly chasing after the sound of a pebble hitting the floor. What chance do they have against Jason Brody, an unstoppable geezer with a tatoo and a flamethrower! It's an open-world game, with a linear plot that doesn't take itself too seriously with realism. Not quite as addictive as Borderlands2, for pure gunfight carnage, but where else can you wrestle with sharks, go hang-gliding over a beautiful tropical island and take hallucinogenic plants? Oh yeah your dreams of course! Expand
  49. Jan 27, 2013
    I only got this game recently not knowing what to expect ,but how I'm completely addicted to it, the graphics are amazing and it runs incredibly smoothly. The game play is very fun and there are lots to do in the huge world that is one big playground. The story is good and the characters are very likable including the main antagonist Vass. Overall a great game and worth 9/10
  50. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantasticThis game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantastic and make for almost believable cover. The sounds in FC3 really excel. The music always adds to the experience and the voice acting is some of the best I've experienced in a video game for a long time. The mechanics are not always intuitive, the takedown feature, after a number of upgrades, can rely on too many unintuitive key combinations at the same time. Besides this, the actual gunplay, stealth, driving and other upgrades are excellent examples of what modern shooters should aim for. An area that is very poor is the AI. It appears that to avoid the common stealth problem of having AI that automatically know where you are, the AI are completely dumbed down. They can track your last location correctly, but you will often see a guard walk straight past you when you are in plain sight. It must also be pointed out that story quests make heavy use of quick time events, these are a blight on games right now and they occasionally severely interrupt a cutscene. On the non-technical side, the story has some flaws. I went into this game expecting a fairly realistic game oriented around surviving being kidnapped and not being killed by the opposing faction, instead (spoilers) I found a game that behaves like a serious experience that I described, littered with some strange "magic" type story about tattoos and natives to the island. It should not have been in the game at all. The delusion and drug sequences were great, but they should have been oriented around drug usage or illness, not magic potions. The multiple choice ending was just utterly ridiculous. Why give us two choices that only affect the last 5 minutes of the cutscene at the end of the game? And why is one of them so utterly disappointing. The experience also drags on due to a lack of variation nearer the end of the game. You'll probably play around 30 to 40 hours of the game before this happens, so it's still absolutely worth the purchase. I recommend Far Cry 3. Despite all of it's flaws it has great gameplay, it is a fun and engaging experience, and it starts off brilliantly even if it doesn't last the full length of the game. Expand
  51. Mar 30, 2013
    I didn't begin playing FC3 until mid-March. But overall I think it's a good game. I think Ubisoft Montreal clearly had considerations in mind how to make improvements over Far Cry 2 with this one. For example, instead of merely scouting enemy outposts and wiping them out repeatedly after respawns, you can liberate them for good and back into the hands of the local islanders known as theI didn't begin playing FC3 until mid-March. But overall I think it's a good game. I think Ubisoft Montreal clearly had considerations in mind how to make improvements over Far Cry 2 with this one. For example, instead of merely scouting enemy outposts and wiping them out repeatedly after respawns, you can liberate them for good and back into the hands of the local islanders known as the Rakyat (similar to the real-life Maori). Also, your guns no longer jam, and most of them have upgrades that boost their damage, ammo capacity, range, fire rate, noise reduction, and optics, whereas the only upgrades available in the predecessor were for accuracy and reliability (jam resistance). Many hunting and knife-assassination missions become available as you liberate outposts, and get cash rewards for each. Also, you can unlock Signature (Unique) Weapons in shops as you collect Lost WWII Letters, Relics, and Memory Cards throughout Rook Island. The main complaints I had about the game were that stealth was mandatory in some of the story missions. I hate failing missions because I got detected. Also, some of the hunting quests require overpowered or underpowered weapons to hunt certain animals. For instance, sometimes you have to kill a pack of Rabid Dogs with an RPG or Flamethrower, but also Bears and Tigers with a pea-sprayer Skorpion. As far as the narrative goes, there are several surreal hallucinogenic moments, as well as intense confrontations with arch nemeses like Vaas. Some moments get quite emotional, and you're forced to make decisions in a split second. Anyway, I hope I didn't reveal too many spoilers here. My over verdict is that if you enjoyed Far Cry 2 but felt it lacking in some areas, you will enjoy Far Cry 3 more. Expand
  52. Dec 16, 2012
    This is basically the same game as Far Cry 2 except that you now have the ability to craft items such has rucksacks, holsters, and ammo packs. The graphics are great! The game play is entertaining enough for me. If you didn't like FC2, then don't waste your time. Some of the quests are repetitive, but I haven't seen much originality in FPS in several years now.
  53. Nov 10, 2013
    A total turn of events, the expectation was so high that this game let me down.
    Apart from multiplayer there's nothing interesting to be done after completing the game plot which by the way seemed to me another let down, whipping Vaas out of the frame so ungracefully just like Bane was trashed out in Dark Night
    The good parts are all there but it especially leaves the feeling of
    A total turn of events, the expectation was so high that this game let me down.
    The good parts are all there but it especially leaves the feeling of unfinished everything but the graphics, sadly.
  54. Dec 14, 2012
    I'll start this review by saying I haven't finished the game yet, my guess is that I'm around halfway through the main story. I'll begin by saying that this game is absolutely beautiful - if you're into your graphics then this is the game for you. Having said this, you'll need a pretty decent system to run it at full settings. Seriously, when I saw the screenshots on steam I wasI'll start this review by saying I haven't finished the game yet, my guess is that I'm around halfway through the main story. I'll begin by saying that this game is absolutely beautiful - if you're into your graphics then this is the game for you. Having said this, you'll need a pretty decent system to run it at full settings. Seriously, when I saw the screenshots on steam I was pessimistic and instantly thought they were concept art or something, but that is literally how it looks in-game. The atmosphere of the jungle setting is perfect, I feel a lot more encouraged to scout out enemy camps than in the last Far Cry game, and stalking through the brush to avoid road patrols or to hunt your animal prey is exhilarating to say the least. The upgrade/perks system is as effective as it is in any game, and helps drive you to continue on with the story to unlock new abilities, although this could be a bad point for many people who want complete freedom. The crafting system is also good, although when finding materials from animals, selling any excess items is tedious and they quickly fill up your bag if you don't keep track of what materials you need. Also, as someone else has pointed out, animals become quite useless aside from atmosphere once you've finished all of your crafting. But the atmosphere they do create is excellent, with a massive roster of animals ranging from sharks to tortoises to birds of paradise.
    The characters in the story are great and varied, and the voice acting is pretty good on the whole. Rather disappointingly, I find that the worst voice actor is the main character (the player). He seems to change his tone inappropriately and can be quite over-dramatic at times. This is probably my least liked point about the game. Another negative point is that sometimes the story doesn't really make much sense, there are a few moments where you "wake up" after missions without any explanation how you got there, seemingly just for the sake of progressing the story. Getting around the island is easy thanks to fast travel, much to the dismay of anyone who hates this feature in games, but it also encourages you to raid enemy camps to unlock new fast travel points. Driving can be quite difficult at times, the cars can feel quite floaty at times and easy to crash. Walking can be quite tedious but getting to experience the beauty of the island and the animals makes up for it.
    All in all I think it's a fantastic game and definitely worth playing, despite the few bad points I mentioned.
  55. Dec 4, 2012
    Best sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is aBest sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is a little short and it is not very original, but you can stay exploring the islands after you finished the game. You can earn skill points, which you can use to improve your characters abilities, which is a nice addition. Overall I enjoyed the game much more than any other FPS this year. Expand
  56. Apr 14, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I wish I had purchased it early so I could've enjoyed along with the majority of people. The journey you take as Jason is one of the most memorable single-player stories ever created; and sure, the shooting is great too. However, I wasn't satisfied with the console menus and Uplay launcher that I had to click through. If it wasn't for the sale, I would haveI thoroughly enjoyed this game. I wish I had purchased it early so I could've enjoyed along with the majority of people. The journey you take as Jason is one of the most memorable single-player stories ever created; and sure, the shooting is great too. However, I wasn't satisfied with the console menus and Uplay launcher that I had to click through. If it wasn't for the sale, I would have definitely purchased the game through steam. Also, multiplayer was a neat little surprise too. Expand
  57. Dec 6, 2012
    In reality I'd rather rate this 7.5, but it's enjoyable enough that I wont give it just a 7. First I must say the game looks very good on PC, I run it on ultra settings and it is very nice, though the occasional artifact or unusual glare effect or texture loading comes up. For a first person shooter, of which I'm not a big fan, it is very enjoyable, the story is a bit cliche, but it's funIn reality I'd rather rate this 7.5, but it's enjoyable enough that I wont give it just a 7. First I must say the game looks very good on PC, I run it on ultra settings and it is very nice, though the occasional artifact or unusual glare effect or texture loading comes up. For a first person shooter, of which I'm not a big fan, it is very enjoyable, the story is a bit cliche, but it's fun to work your way through it (thus far 15 hours in). The sound is good and the voice acting is pretty good. Though the enemy AI is somewhat bad, I think it's unfair to lower the rating given the scope of the game, and the weakness is less apparent in animal AI (all but 2 of my deaths where from sneaky jungle cats, and a crocodile.)
    The flaws in the the game are few, but annoying enough to bring my score down. First the menu system is clearly a port from the counsel and is a bit annoying, having to double click every selection is minor, but it's unusual for me on PC. One thing that bugged me, but once again is somewhat understandable as it is just a game is the head shot I put on a tiger failed to kill it, or even make it break from it's b-line toward me, I find that a bit ridiculous, as heads hots from rifles insta kill enemies personnel. As is usually the case in a game with a lot to do, it's a lot of the same, and the side quests are not varied all that much. Another review touched on this as well, the map has everything marked, so there is no sense of accomplishment from exploring this world, go to a tower and unlock the locations of everything. All you have to do is figure out where the entrance to a cave or temple is.
    Over all though the game is great of fun, and the story though not original is entertaining. With good graphics, and voice work, and a ton of options for weapons. I have not played multi-player yet, so that is not reflected in my rating.
  58. Dec 6, 2012
    This is a very good game. Open world, completely immersible environment, and so far I've really felt like some random guy trying to survive on an island. The new territory system is a huge improvement over Far Cry 2's enemy respawns, and the only major negative aspect I've experienced so far was the save system (it would be nice to have more than one save slot). I haven't spent too muchThis is a very good game. Open world, completely immersible environment, and so far I've really felt like some random guy trying to survive on an island. The new territory system is a huge improvement over Far Cry 2's enemy respawns, and the only major negative aspect I've experienced so far was the save system (it would be nice to have more than one save slot). I haven't spent too much time in multiplayer, but I really only buy these games for the single player so it doesn't factor heavily into my opinion of the game. Graphics have been amazing in my experience, and I think most of the people complaining about this don't realize that it's often their own hardware they should be complaining about instead of the software. I was looking for a game where I could become lost in a world that I had to fight my way out of, and I got that. I plan to sink quite a few hours into this title! Expand
  59. Jan 9, 2013
    This is an overall well designed game with a couple annoying quirks. The graphics and presentation as you probably know by know was exceptionally done. The introduction into the game a la the first meeting with the first antagonist was very exciting, mainly due to the great voice acting. Throughout the game the main character talks, adding to the immersion sort of like Left 4 Dead 2This is an overall well designed game with a couple annoying quirks. The graphics and presentation as you probably know by know was exceptionally done. The introduction into the game a la the first meeting with the first antagonist was very exciting, mainly due to the great voice acting. Throughout the game the main character talks, adding to the immersion sort of like Left 4 Dead 2 characters who mention something about the environment to push you forward in the right direction. However Phone calls can be annoying sometimes. Another issue is the crafting. Why was this necessary? It irked me that I had to go around finding animals just so I could carry more money or hold a reasonable amount of weapons. Not to mention the menus were very awkward to navigate. The story however was intense for the beginning of the game, but dropped off near the end. All in all I would recommend you play this game, if you are not the kind to flame over minor blemishes in an overall fantastic game. Expand
  60. Dec 30, 2012
    Having felt Far Cry 1 had poor gameplay and Far Cry 2 was tedious, I was kind of shocked to hear all the buzz about Far Cry 3 from others who were also lukewarm towards the first two games. Having played the game, it certainly deserves it. The plot is wonderful, scenery is beautiful, gameplay is organic, and acting and characters are some of the best I've ever seen. Both stealth and openHaving felt Far Cry 1 had poor gameplay and Far Cry 2 was tedious, I was kind of shocked to hear all the buzz about Far Cry 3 from others who were also lukewarm towards the first two games. Having played the game, it certainly deserves it. The plot is wonderful, scenery is beautiful, gameplay is organic, and acting and characters are some of the best I've ever seen. Both stealth and open combat are equally viable and well-executed. I also think it's a neat touch that Jasons character arch and skill truly bends as the player improves at the game. That said, I find there's little variety in the open world as compared to other big RPG's, and while the game is effective in showing Jason as a true bad ass by games end, the skill tree is still poorly balanced and leaves you running from two or three grunts early in the game and yawning when waves of heavies pose no threat by the end. Far Cry 3 isn't perfect, but it's worth buying if you like action RPG's or first person shooters. Expand
  61. Mar 23, 2013
    This game is really great and deserves its high ratings. Excellent story, good graphics and a solid survival part. Well at least in the first third of the game then you turn into a one man army which is biggest downside of the game and takes away a lot of the thrill you have in the beginning but besides it is a must have.
  62. Dec 4, 2012
    The only reason this is an 8 is due to the lack of splitscreen as was said, to be partof the pc version
    Otherwise i would have given it a 9, the graphics are very good, the gunplay feels nice, the sound is good, the story despite its small flaws is interesting enough to pull you in,, have not dived into multiplayer yet, but i am more of a singleplayer/coop gamer as is
  63. Dec 12, 2012
    Great game. I loved the single player. Has its flaws like all games, the HUD is intrusive and the AI isn't terrific. However, the scenery is amazing and the characters in it were hilarious, Vaas, Hoyt and the German guy ...
  64. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish people would stop calling this game "Skyrim with weapons". It's not "Skyrim with weapons", it's Farcry 3. Farcry 1 and 2 had the same open-world style, with weapons and they both came out before Skyrim...

Now that I've got that out the way, this game is amazing. It is super, super fun. The graphics are great, the story is cool, the beginning intro is refreshingly original, and the villian is by far the best villian since Vergil. I gave this game 8/10 because I have to discuss the flaws as well unfortunately.

1. The biggest flaw is, the game ends! Once you're done, the side missions aren't that interesting and not many people just treasure hunt to find secret things around the map. Face it, once you've completed the game and made pretty much every crafting upgrade there is, you really miss enemies and camp infiltrations.

2. I'm being a tad critical here, but did we really need that weird, trippy initiation fight against that black-cloud demon thing? I often wonder why games do this. DMC:Devil May Cry had a similar boss fight against a digital anchor-man it's tacky and just plain weird.

3. There are 2 endings but you have no option to replay the last segment just to choose the different option, you have to play the level from the beginning.

4. Boats are included but you rarely use them which is sad, because Assasin's Creed 3's Master&Commander ship missions quite wet my appetite for more naval combat.

5. The main character is rather...inconsistent. I say that because at the beginning of the game he freaks out at having to stab a guard in the neck, and by the end of the game he is some sort of neo-nazi hellbent on bloodlust without even a smidge of hesitation when around enemies. If you don't really care for realism then that shouldn't bother you, I just thought since the put so much effort into character development in the beginning, that it came across as a little rushed and lazy.

6. That's it, the rest of the game was amazing, the map is quite large if you don't use quick travel and there is stuff to keep you busy after you finish the game, but replaybility isn't quite there. You'll probably stop playing once you finish the game.
  65. Dec 5, 2012
    I enjoyed this game alot. It truly deserves to be a G.O.T.Y. contender as well as the title "skyrim with guns" Single player has a lot of content. Coop is solid and has a decent length. Multiplayer is fun and has a lot of complexity to it. There are graphical issue present such as glitched npcs, but they only happen on ocasion. Also the story is alright, nothing amazing, but beats cod'sI enjoyed this game alot. It truly deserves to be a G.O.T.Y. contender as well as the title "skyrim with guns" Single player has a lot of content. Coop is solid and has a decent length. Multiplayer is fun and has a lot of complexity to it. There are graphical issue present such as glitched npcs, but they only happen on ocasion. Also the story is alright, nothing amazing, but beats cod's anyday. P.S. To any haters complaining about the performance and graphics. You should've realized that you signed up for a ubisoft game in the first place. They don't give the pc version the credit it deserves. If anyone has bad performance, either your pc sucks or you didn't download the latest drivers. (both amd and nvidia have updates for far cry 3 in latest driver) Also, its amazing how people **** about a game's graphics if they arn't on par with battlefield or crysis. Graphics DO NOT make a game good, gameplay does kiddies. The graphics are good on max with DX11 and high resolution anyways. Expand
  66. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This really wasn't a bad game... The single player had some decent writing even if it was a cliche story. The only part that made me role my eyes was the "LIZA IM COMING!" crap towards the beginning. The plot stays interesting throughout with nice little twists and turns woven in. The ending fight where Sam gets knifed in the neck was very well done and certainly caught me off gaurd. The endings themselves left a little to be desired since they were vague but still interesting. There was a stupid little section that was like tomb raider or uncharted that was out of place. The multiplayer seems pretty lackluster but I expected that hence the 8-9ish rating. Its a much better game than 95% of the market. Giving this game anything less than a 6 or 7 seems pretty unfair to me. Expand
  67. Dec 6, 2012
    Reading some negative reviews has inspired me to sign up (again). Last game reviewed was SimBin's GTR, 'cos it was amazing. This is not a bad game, by any stretch. Suppose I'll be reviewing more often, just to counterbalance some of the stupidity that a lot of other reviewers seem to be coming out with - at least in terms of what I see as important to making a game fun and worth MY while.Reading some negative reviews has inspired me to sign up (again). Last game reviewed was SimBin's GTR, 'cos it was amazing. This is not a bad game, by any stretch. Suppose I'll be reviewing more often, just to counterbalance some of the stupidity that a lot of other reviewers seem to be coming out with - at least in terms of what I see as important to making a game fun and worth MY while. First of all, yes, it suffers from consolitis - the menu system could be better - there's a lot of clicking back and forth, which does break the flow of the game to some extent. The game overall has a slight aimlessness to it, in that, apart from the intermittent breaks for syringe creation, pouch crafting and other pause-menu high jinks, the way side missions are organised/controlled kind of takes you away from the flow of the narrative that's supposed to be driving your character. But that's about it. Everything else is top notch. Couple missions that are linear and low res map/HUD? Nah, whatever, very minor gripes of a hater mindset. Let's face it, graphics, and the overall artistic design, are one of its great strengths and add a huge amount to the immersion - it's actually seamless (no mean feat). Sound is also on par. The story line is no more or less creative than most other games on the market but at least this one is delivered with some half-decent scripting and voice acting, which I cannot say the same for all your Mass Effects and Borderlands (admittedly I only played the first - did they change that cheeseball guff for the second?). AI? A lot of the negative reviewers here seem to be acting like some artificial intelligence gurus (that fake kind) because they're picking faults in what is actually pretty obvious. The enemies do follow a pattern, but it does not make them any less challenging. It's like in so many other games where the challenge is to figure the pattern out. At least this game is challenging, and actually quite unique because, despite the dense jungle you always seem to be in, there is enough variability and randomness at play to make each encounter feel fresh. This is its major strength, and the reason why I come back for a daily dose - for a little bit more of that immersion, genuine strategising, and truly visceral gunplay (before I tire of it's comparatively minor nuisances). Expand
  68. Dec 7, 2012
    To begin I think this game looks great, plays just as well and offers a different experience from FC2 while maintaining the structure and environment. I like the way they've scripted the main character and helped the player feel more in-tune with the story. I also like the diversity of the wildlife and vehicles. I love the detail on the weapons as well as the bright, intense amazingTo begin I think this game looks great, plays just as well and offers a different experience from FC2 while maintaining the structure and environment. I like the way they've scripted the main character and helped the player feel more in-tune with the story. I also like the diversity of the wildlife and vehicles. I love the detail on the weapons as well as the bright, intense amazing looking reticules in the optics. This being said I have come to feel like asking for some changes after only the first few, however addicting, hours of gameplay. Firstly I definitely think a wider variety of weapons should be in order. Maybe you could buy a better knife? A spear gun? A crossbow? Throwing knives? Something! I also feel there could be more vehicles, not just ever so slight variations of the ones from the title's predecessor. Enemies all look the exact same which withdraws in a massive way the realism and immersive feeling. Like others have said enemies are terrible at spotting you. The animation of wildlife once they've engaged your character just look like something that's not even finished yet. The island does look the exact same everywhere you go as do shacks. All these points I'm making basically echo those above. I also cannot help but agree with everything positive and negative written about the game so far. Please take these things into consideration for future software updates. Don't let these negative observations distract you (the devs) from the fact that this is an excellent game overall. Expand
  69. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. almost perfect for me, just add an "inventory" menu for organizing the equipment so i don't need to go to safehouse for preparing for my adventure, erase the "get a free weapon when activating a radio tower" cuz it make the game too easy, and make the repair tool as equipment, not weapon (when inventory menu was added later) Expand
  70. Dec 11, 2012
    Actually,this is an really AWESOME sandbox shooting game for those players who is new to the Far Cry series...but for the FANS...there is some TINY---VERY TINY disappointment in this game...especially...those total Far Cry 2 fans..... First of all, there's NO GUN JAMMING in this game...many people may ask "Isn't that nice ?"...Well, for those FPS player who wants to have a smoothlyActually,this is an really AWESOME sandbox shooting game for those players who is new to the Far Cry series...but for the FANS...there is some TINY---VERY TINY disappointment in this game...especially...those total Far Cry 2 fans..... First of all, there's NO GUN JAMMING in this game...many people may ask "Isn't that nice ?"...Well, for those FPS player who wants to have a smoothly gunfight like the COD..."YES.".....but for those FC2 fans...that was really unacceptable...cuz it's fun and it's realistic for those hardcore FPS players....i know that sometime the mechanism is quite frustrating,but it is its feature---FUN and DANGEROUS, isn't it ? Second,the MONEY....yeh...i know that earning money fast isn't bad...but in Far Cry 3 ....it's just too damn fast !!! It just makes all this survival feeling game become tooo EASY for those hardcore FPS player or those who struggle finding diamonds in FC 2....(and yes, prefer the diamonds in FC 2) Third,there is no SLEEPING SYSTEM in these game..so..if you want to have a night walk of stealthy killing...you have to wait----till the sun set......and that's really damn long... And last, the HEALING SYSTEM is really really worse than FC2...it's just too "easy" for me---a FC2 player. So,if you are new to these kind of game....i highly recommend it ........it's a must buy for sure..........but for those FC2 fans...i think they should think twice whether you are ready to let go those fun experience and accept those new things... Still, i'll give this game a 8.3/10 for bringing soo much fun to me. Expand
  71. Dec 20, 2012
    A game, that with a little bit more time and care, could have been a masterpiece. The game was eye-candy in the highest settings, the storyline was gripping and the character development of the protagonist was excellent. However the AI lacked, the game becomes lacklustre and cumbersome after the completion of the story line and I found that the unlocking of weapons / equipment was far too easy.
  72. Dec 26, 2012
    This game is not without it's flaws. The promises of "Skyrim with guns" were nonsense (the sidequests are nothing more than uninspired grind when compared to the breadth of subplots in Skyrim), the weapons are a little samey; you find yourself sticking with the same weapon-set throughout despite new weapons being thrown at you all of the time. Also, this game hasn't escaped the consolationThis game is not without it's flaws. The promises of "Skyrim with guns" were nonsense (the sidequests are nothing more than uninspired grind when compared to the breadth of subplots in Skyrim), the weapons are a little samey; you find yourself sticking with the same weapon-set throughout despite new weapons being thrown at you all of the time. Also, this game hasn't escaped the consolation effect of games lately, the GUI is giant sized and cluttered, you are constantly being notified of the main quest objective and game mechanics you worked out 30 hours ago, the engine is badly optimised (even for my aging 4870x2), the save system is fiddly and an open world game that barks at me for leaving the mission area is laughable.

That said there is a great deal to sing the praises of for this game. From opening cutscene to the 50th hour of exploration you find yourself in a beautiful, believable world. From your clueless friends and your sadistic enemies to the pirate complaining about gonorrhea and the hired merc just trying to earn a paycheck without taking a flaming arrow to the neck. Every character seems to be well thought out.

The combat is satisfying, challenging and engaging from long range to hand to hand. The takedowns are especially organic feeling. Where Deus Ex HR gives you the ability to takedown two foes at once at hand to hand Far Cry 3 lets you kill from below, from above, with a knife, even with your enemy's own knife/pistol/grenade. The combat is always satisfying despite the draw to pick them off from a distance with your supressed .50 calibre sniper rifle. I'm really undecided on the story and will avoid spoilers in this review. It's a tough balacing act between your protagonist's growth as a character, his own personal story and the wider impact of his actions on the world around him. The former was handled very well but I'm not so sure that the latter was as convincing. None the less the key characters are wonderfully conceived and ought to be up there amongst the most memorable of video gaming.

It's a polished experience and a great deal of fun. It hasn't the story arc of Half Life or the open world of Skyrim but it's one of the better games of 2012.
  73. Feb 8, 2014
    Pretty good game, it would probably be 9/10 if it weren't for some techincal issues... Overall good story, plenty of action, gigantic world, spent almost 50 hours finishing this one, definitly recommended
  74. Dec 31, 2012
    A good open RPG/shooter game. Far Cry 3 really puts 'rail shooters' such as Call of Duty to shame, actually allowing players to choose how they're going to achieve their goal - are you going to sneak in, or go in with all guns blazing? It's down to the player's style of attack.

The story behind Far Cry 3 can seem unclear, but if you search around you can find-out how you ended up on the island - adding depth and further emotion behind the story. Upon completing the campaign you'll be left with your mouth open, asking for more.

There are only a few things that I can say against Far Cry 3, some of the side missions are either tediously slow and boring, I mean it's Far Cry 3, not Off-road Delivery Company Simulator. Some of the missions are almost impossible to complete on hard, but I guess that's my fault for looking for a challenge.

Overall a good game which has been inspired by other RPGs - such as Assassin's Creed. You'll keep coming back to it for a long time.
  75. Jan 2, 2013
    I have decided to write a review now that I have completed the story. Reviews made from a few hours of the game are not accurate! First, I'd like to praise the graphics. It seems a little hit and miss, but most people, myself included, experience no problems. I was able to run the game on very high setting, and the visuals were breathtaking. The character models, animations, and voiceI have decided to write a review now that I have completed the story. Reviews made from a few hours of the game are not accurate! First, I'd like to praise the graphics. It seems a little hit and miss, but most people, myself included, experience no problems. I was able to run the game on very high setting, and the visuals were breathtaking. The character models, animations, and voice acting was excellent. However, the voice acting for side missions seemed low-fi though. Onto content, the gameplay was enjoyable. I played on the highest difficulty because, as people have made blatantly apparent, the AI can look directly at you then forget about you the next second. However, the difficulty always forced me to remain creative and alert on missions. After multiple failures due to poor strategy, the succor of success was sweet. While the choices for assault never reached the complexity of games like Deus Ex: HR or Crysis 2, the game never left me disappointed when it came to combat. The saving grace here is the story. On the superficial level, the story looks pedantic and cliche. However, with a little critical thought, a complicated and deep struggle reveals itself. The dialogue of the main characters was amazing. The surreal sequences were breathtaking. After the end of the game I was left sad and conflicted as I tried to rationalize the web Ubisoft strung. Don't play this game if you're looking for difficulty, multiplayer, or skyrim-esque roleplaying. Play this game for the high quality singleplayer sequence. As a side note addressing the concerns over boring missions: the many non-essential missions are pretty short and unexciting. But the game still lies in the excellent main missions. I wish they would have added some relevant missions like in Deus Ex: HR.

Bottom line: Get the game.
  76. Jan 6, 2013
    Very solid 8 pushing into a 9. The world is amazing... nay, incredible... no scratch that, phenomenal! Such a beautifully polished looking game will drop your jaw the moment you step foot on the island. The story is engaging, and interesting, which is rare for an RPG nontheless a shooter! You immediately feel in danger when you explore the wilderness, as death is always close. TheVery solid 8 pushing into a 9. The world is amazing... nay, incredible... no scratch that, phenomenal! Such a beautifully polished looking game will drop your jaw the moment you step foot on the island. The story is engaging, and interesting, which is rare for an RPG nontheless a shooter! You immediately feel in danger when you explore the wilderness, as death is always close. The emotions the game evokes goes a long way to create a lasting experience.

From a shooter perspective, the gun play has its strengths and weaknesses. The weapons look beautiful, and sound equally so, but to those accustomed to more realistic games, be prepared to take an arcade style back seat. There is an added element of stealth, surprise, and AI hunting dynamic that make gunfights fresh and infinitely creative.

From an RPG perspective, the leveling system does afford some very useful extra skills that give very distinct advantages on the battlefield. The crafting system is really only a matter of collecting items and clicking a button, so don't expect much there.

Far Cry 3 set their bar incredibly high, and it feels as if they hit almost all the marks. What you will quickly find after a few hours of game play is that once the surface polish wears off, you see a fairly repetitive game play. It is a large open world, and might give the impression that it wants you to treat it as a sandbox exploring as you see fit, but this is where it falls a little short. Progression in the game is much of the same old, same old, with a couple twists and turns: go to pirate area, clear radio tower, clear the related outpost, do a bounty or hunter quest, collect items, and rinse and repeat just a little more east of here.

The first 10 hours of gameplay lends a truly eye-opening, grand experience. And when the grind sets in shortly after, you can break the monotony by choosing different weapon load outs of variety and challenge. The beauty of this game alone would be enough to get me back to play it every once in awhile, a great buy.
  77. Jan 10, 2013
    Farcry 3 was mildly addicting. Way better than farcry2 which was drab and boring. Crafting is simplistic and not all that great. The AI was probably the worst part of this game since they are just plain stupid. Graphics are nice, open world can be fun to explore until you control all the camps.. then it gets boring. stealth in the game is piss poor simply crouching in the grass concealsFarcry 3 was mildly addicting. Way better than farcry2 which was drab and boring. Crafting is simplistic and not all that great. The AI was probably the worst part of this game since they are just plain stupid. Graphics are nice, open world can be fun to explore until you control all the camps.. then it gets boring. stealth in the game is piss poor simply crouching in the grass conceals you from enemies which is kind of **** The animals out in the world are kind of neat, they attack enemies and you :). Vaas is probably the most entertaining character in the whole game, guy is just out right funny. The story of farcry 3 is decent but the gunplay is where this game really shines. The game is good length if you do all the missions/ side missions capture all the points you can put in some serious game time in. This is a must play IMO. Expand
  78. Jan 23, 2013
    Very nice game with lots of things to do. Very good story, the kill side missions get repetitive very quickly, though all the other optional stuff are very fun. I liked the crafting system a lot but i feel the could have taken it a step further. Nice combat and a lot of fun abilities you can unlock. My major complain is that they could have exploited the jungle enviroment a little better,Very nice game with lots of things to do. Very good story, the kill side missions get repetitive very quickly, though all the other optional stuff are very fun. I liked the crafting system a lot but i feel the could have taken it a step further. Nice combat and a lot of fun abilities you can unlock. My major complain is that they could have exploited the jungle enviroment a little better, when i hear jungle what comes to mind is survival and this game didn't have that. Overall a much better game than the previous titles in the series! Recommended!!! Expand
  79. Jan 20, 2013
    This game has a great story, nice, warm and pleasant graphics. Which I do not understand why people say they are not so good and a great large map to explore and admire the islands. The single player at first seemed far to easy, you would be able to sneak past anyone without getting caught and it seemed highly unrealistic. However that issue soon became less as the story progressed and theThis game has a great story, nice, warm and pleasant graphics. Which I do not understand why people say they are not so good and a great large map to explore and admire the islands. The single player at first seemed far to easy, you would be able to sneak past anyone without getting caught and it seemed highly unrealistic. However that issue soon became less as the story progressed and the enemies got challenging as well as the missions resulting in plenty of epic moments. The multiplayer is pretty average, not something special and not something to criticize although the co-op mode is lots of fun when playing with friends. The game does have lots of pros, but it has its rare cons too, mainly glitchy bugs. One bug I had came across a few times during a missions is when sometimes your AI teammate would get stuck on a object and jitter up and down, but eventually they would stop. The other problem I had noticed was the textures when it starts raining on the islands, the clouds would go black for 1 second and then to black rainy clouds. These bugs are not too bad at all and really does not affect the gameplay much at all, but it does prevent the game from turning into a perfect set. That is why 8/10 is a accurate score to give the game. Expand
  80. Jan 21, 2013
    An entertaining and well constructed open-world shooter, but it falls short in the same areas many games in this genre do. The guns feel great and the action is exciting and fast paced. Sneaking around and picking off the guards is a blast. If sneaking isn't your thing, then go in guns blazing or drive your vehicle covered in C4 into an outpost. Unfortunately, these options begin toAn entertaining and well constructed open-world shooter, but it falls short in the same areas many games in this genre do. The guns feel great and the action is exciting and fast paced. Sneaking around and picking off the guards is a blast. If sneaking isn't your thing, then go in guns blazing or drive your vehicle covered in C4 into an outpost. Unfortunately, these options begin to play out the same after many encounters. There are other various side missions including assassinations, racing, hunting, and bar games. These provide plenty of time killing and offer upgrades to your weapons or strengths. The RPG piece of character growth is simple and suffices for the tasks at hand. This game will help play out an average story line. It's unlikely that someone will enjoy finishing 100% because everything gets very repetitive. All the camps are the same and the side missions are basically repeated over and over. In the end, it's a worthwhile gaming experience and provides a fun experience. Expand
  81. Jan 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is exactly what we should expect from every AAA title. The game has a solid story-line that is simple to follow but still intriguing, the game-play mechanics are smooth, with some nice abilities to spice things up, and the scenery is quite beautiful how ever repetitive making the latter parts of the game seem slightly less inspired. However, the main story mission and outpostFar Cry 3 is exactly what we should expect from every AAA title. The game has a solid story-line that is simple to follow but still intriguing, the game-play mechanics are smooth, with some nice abilities to spice things up, and the scenery is quite beautiful how ever repetitive making the latter parts of the game seem slightly less inspired. However, the main story mission and outpost captures all feel very unique and each present their own challenges keeping the game still feel fresh after 20 hours. I would highly recommend that all who have yet to play the game play on the harder difficulty when not doing story missions (this can be found in options while playing) or else you may feel too comfortable and unchallenged. Expand
  82. Jan 30, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will beFar Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will be working with Dennis on the first few main story quests, next thing you know you will be hunting a goat in order to get a second weapon, and NEXT thing you know you will be playing a Time Trial minigame set in the area. With the amount of things going on around you, from pirates walking down the road, then getting slaughtered by a tiger, to the Rakyat warriors getting into a gunfight on the bridge with the enemy pirates, the game feels so alive and real. The plot is the only big issue when playing, but you will most likely not be doing the main story line as you will be off hunting tigers to make that pouch to hold more ammo. Ubisoft doesn't do a very good job in developing the characters, as they don't really do a great job of explaining how Jason goes from never hurting a fly to murdering hundreds of pirates in order to save his friends and family. And it feels like the friends (and brothers) Jason is trying to save and even Jason himself are barely even likable.

The multiplayer and co-op mode is a whole different story. Take a tiny area of the single-player map, and pit players against each other online in a variety of gamemodes such as Team Deathmatch, Domination, and a few others, and you got multiplayer. It's fun, Far Cry 3's multiplayer is great. It is similar to single-player in a few ways, such as you heal yourself with bandages and even apply syringes. You also have the ability to revive your teammates if killed. The customization for your classes are also very nice, as you get a wide selection of weapons to choose from and can apply different mods to it, and equip something known as "Battle Cries", which are like perks but can be applied to your teammates as well. It is definitely not something to skip out on. However, you don't really get a choice considering no one plays the multiplayer. I can't speak for Xbox 360 and PS3 players, but as far as PC goes, no one plays the multiplayer, and it near impossible to find a match. The co-op is excellent too, it is a whole other campaign separate from the single-player campaign, but co-op (hence the name, obviously). The mission objectives do get a bit repetitive but the quick competitive mini-games that they squeeze in between them make them all the more fun. So last thing I gotta say is, if you are a fan of Far Cry 1 and 2, definitely get this game, and if have never played any Far Cry games, I really recommend them.
  83. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic story line, although once i completed the main quest line i wasn't compelled to continue single player. The side missions are ridiculously repetitive and boring. Multiplayer is alright, but nothing too special. The fact that you cant choose the coop chapter to play is extremely annoying. Lets not forget that this game is plagued by Ubisoft's pathetic platform, Uplay. DefinitelyFantastic story line, although once i completed the main quest line i wasn't compelled to continue single player. The side missions are ridiculously repetitive and boring. Multiplayer is alright, but nothing too special. The fact that you cant choose the coop chapter to play is extremely annoying. Lets not forget that this game is plagued by Ubisoft's pathetic platform, Uplay. Definitely worth playing, these complaints are mostly minor. The single player story was the selling point for me. Expand
  84. Feb 5, 2013
    I remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. II remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. I felt obligated to find every Totem and every Letter to deepen the experience. The story itself is just a side thought from when I am not exploring or gathering materials for bigger ammo cases or wallets. Overall, this game provides many things to do, depending on what the player is feeling. Definitely a good buy. Expand
  85. Feb 7, 2013
    Once you get through moderartely-strange story there is not much else to do on the island. Other than that, and a few missed opportunities, and occasional complete retardedness of story (even when it obviosly does not mean to be retartded) this is a fine game. Definitely has its own thing going, unique enough to be memorable and fun most of the time.
  86. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a great and very ambitious game. The open world is beautiful and the game play simply feels right. A few of the main plot missions are nothing short of brilliant and the sound design is superb. The beginning of the game successfully grabs your attention, Vaas is one of the best game villains in a long long time and this is also where a few flaws become apparent. Having a greatThis is a great and very ambitious game. The open world is beautiful and the game play simply feels right. A few of the main plot missions are nothing short of brilliant and the sound design is superb. The beginning of the game successfully grabs your attention, Vaas is one of the best game villains in a long long time and this is also where a few flaws become apparent. Having a great villain like Vaas and not utilizing him in the best way possible is a squandered opportunity. They could have done so much more with him. I would have loved to deal with him and him ONLY since he was an amazing character with so much potential. The plot is unfortunately severely flawed. I know, most people don't play this game for the plot but in the beginning of the game, it tries and succeeds in involving you as a player. Jason is confused, helpless and just wants to save his friends. But with every new mission Jason's mindset and decisions become less and less incomprehensible and sooner or later the player will disconnect and lose the link to him. I found myself thinking why not do x instead of this?" waaaay to often and having a conflict with the decisions made by the protagonist is a very severe flaw. I know this is criticism on a high level because the game is actually very very good but I can't help but feel that they were careless with the plot although they have they definitely have the talent to get it right. Despite all the fun I had during my approx. 16 hours with the game, I was left disappointed by the ending and the development of the main story. The side missions by the way are instantly forgettable. Hunting missions are fun and racing missions never peaked my interest. I only cared about the main plot and the open world. The prior left me unsatisfied and the latter is gorgeous! Expand
  87. May 18, 2013
    The game looks stunning. Sounds are top notch, so is acting.

The game looks stunning. Sounds are top notch, so is acting.

However they have drastically dumbed the series down. The AI is laughable, money are really easy to earn, it takes you half a second to heal during the battle, and the healing plants are scattered all over the map etc etc etc. Also some parts of the story are so painfully stupid it hurts. To enjoy the game I recommend that you don't play it any longer than 2 hours a week, otherwise all those annoying things start to get you.
  88. Apr 26, 2013
    Really solid game until about half way through when the move happens to the southern island, and at that point the story loses steam. Quite a lot of memorable moments though and one of the best performances by a 'bad guy' in gaming that I can recall.
  89. Mar 8, 2013
    A long game, so u get much for ur cash. Its a tad to easy, so up the game mode to get more challenge out it it. Lots of weapons and upgrades, so ur able to play how u like.
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a good game, that most people will enjoy playing. There's a lot to do (campaign, taking over camps, exploring the map, hunting beasts, even playing poker), and all of this is worked out well. Storyline is okay, but not great.

Pro's: - Fun Campaign - Large weapon arsenal - Always something to do - Tropical setting - Online co-op - Choosing your own play-style (stealthy

Pro's:
    - Fun Campaign
    - Large weapon arsenal
    - Always something to do
    - Tropical setting
    - Online co-op
    - Choosing your own play-style (stealthy or not)

Contra:
    - Online co-op missions are somewhat long 40 mins), and you can't choose a lobby for a specific mission
    - Annoying parachute
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    I have 30 hours logged in on this game in steam, and i still haven't beat the game there is that much content. Wrap your brain around that. Its Skyrim with guns. It has a great story, and on of the most memorable villains i have ever seen who deserves to be a fan favorite. I love this game. Its woth paying for this game even if the games story takes a turn for the worst at the end.
  92. Mar 26, 2013
    This is a fun game. That is the first thing you should know. Running around the island unlocking weapons and completing quests is worth the price of admission on its own. There are however some minor annoyances in the game. Which is why I didn't give it a 9. Firstly, like some others said the AI can be pretty bad, it by no means breaks the games, but sometimes it gets a little frustrating.This is a fun game. That is the first thing you should know. Running around the island unlocking weapons and completing quests is worth the price of admission on its own. There are however some minor annoyances in the game. Which is why I didn't give it a 9. Firstly, like some others said the AI can be pretty bad, it by no means breaks the games, but sometimes it gets a little frustrating. The spotting mechanism is weird. Also, the menus, I found the mouse controls really weird it just degraded the experience a bit. Especially in the map, where you will spend a lot of time. The weapons are a little OP, but that almost makes the game a little bit more fun. You can unlock weapon attachments which can make the weapons really good. If you actually do everything in the game it would take you 30+ hours, just the story is around 8/9 hours. If this is the only game you can buy right now I wouldn't get it (Skyrim, BF3) would be better choices, but if you want a fun experience and have the money it is worth it. Expand
  93. Apr 16, 2013
    I was a big big fan of far cry 1. Far cry 2 had many really good idea in it, but couldn't make it work for me.
    Far cry 3 is where they made it shine. Storyline is epic, gameplay is epic (a bit repetitive), audio is epic. The hunting, the fighting, the exploration, THE BASE JUMPING! So many little things that make this game amazing and a most. Took me about 30 hours to finish the game at about 90%. (I didnt really care about the last 10%, since its super repetitive and after 30 hours I had other games to play). Ubisoft really nailed it on this 3rd one. The jungle is so beautiful, and yet so dangerous. Throw yourself head first, you won't be disappointed.
  94. Mar 29, 2013
    Brigh, smooth and jungles if you like anything bright smooth and jungles. This game is a classic shooter with intreasing plot, explosions. Relatively fast gameplay. But I dont know probably I'm just not a big fan of shooting in jungles.
  95. May 8, 2013
    After useless developer chatter I was finally able to play this game from a Youtube tutorial, because Steam has not updated the U-Play launcher, and you get an unbroken outdated version which does not automatically update. Anyhow, the graphics are stunning and amazing, something rather new in this pixel revival age, and animations are another unsurmountable achievement. Gameplay isAfter useless developer chatter I was finally able to play this game from a Youtube tutorial, because Steam has not updated the U-Play launcher, and you get an unbroken outdated version which does not automatically update. Anyhow, the graphics are stunning and amazing, something rather new in this pixel revival age, and animations are another unsurmountable achievement. Gameplay is mediocre, as far as swinging your machete and going pew-pew goes. However, badass takedowns make up for it, allowing you to instantly kill your enemy in your own brutal fashion. However the game's biggest, by far, flaw, is the story and main questline. Despite it seeming simple: saving your friends from some named Vaas( easily contesting Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 for best antagonist of the year). However, you get drugged far too often in one of many ways, from a drink to mushrooms. This gets repetitive very quickly, and you can't expect anything. Then you get raped by Citra, the rebel faction's leader, right after (you guessed it) being drugged. It just gets wierder and wierder. The boss battles are short and laughably easy quicktime events, making them lackluster and dull. They also take place while(you guessed it) being drugged, or at least appear to with a black background and dance floor-like ground. Then you meet another ally which is predictably going to die, and he does. Then you meet Hoyt, a far less interesting antagonist, yet still pretty interesting at that. The three bosses in the game are all the said quicktime battles, and all are almost identical. Hoyt also does something pointless when he lops your finger off. The only reason for that is so he could make the "We'll never get married" joke. The missing finger stays for the rest of the game, however little there may be.

Now the multiplayer is a 5 or 6/10 experience.. The Bison rifle remains supreme, doing instant kills wherever they hit, and possessing solid range, making it level-based victory. However, many do not use the weapon surprisingly, making most matches contain mediocre enjoyment. The best part of the whole match is the ending, allowing one team to beat up, murder, injure, or explode the losing side's best member, or be nice and show mercy(Hell no!). My favorite punishment is to do the knife game, and finish by slamming it into their hand. However, this does not make up for the pretty standard gamemodes, unbalanced weapons, and overall disatisfaction I had.

Co-op is above average.It's like Left 4 Dead, except you're killing pirates and privateers and fighting on the island. The random competitions are nice, and I almost always win (except on the sniper one) but still, the open world gameplay is gone, the vehicles, as in the multiplayer, are gone, excluding one competition. I do like that the weapons from co-op and multiplayer are linked, so you get get your weapons in co-op and swing over to multiplayer to kill some people.

Overall, a 8 is my score. 7s, and 9s are understandable in my opinion.
  96. Apr 12, 2013
    Nice game, wonderful design, but need a great pc to be up 30 fps. Gameplay is ok. Multi is poor, but the most important is the solo campaign. Co-op mode is fun.
  97. May 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and chances are you will as well. But it has its flaws, do not buy this game if you looking for a challenge in any sense of the word (at least in the single player). Even on hard the game presents you with almost no challenge at all. Especially if you go the broken stealth route were enemy's literally will not respond to getting shot in the foot, with any moreI really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and chances are you will as well. But it has its flaws, do not buy this game if you looking for a challenge in any sense of the word (at least in the single player). Even on hard the game presents you with almost no challenge at all. Especially if you go the broken stealth route were enemy's literally will not respond to getting shot in the foot, with any more that a quick look around and few repetitive insults about how you "are not a true warrior" etc. Its unlikely that you'll die more than a dozen times in the story missions. Most of my deaths were me driving my car of the side of the cliff as the first person perspective and thick jungle means that I often didn't that there was a cliff in front of me. But flaws aside you do get a lot for your money, about 18 radio towers and 30 something enemy outpost to capture along with side quests and about 15 hours worth of story missions. However so much content means that it can pretty quickly turn into a repetitive grind where every radio tower captured was just for that gun I was desperate for and not, for the fun of doing it. There is a Multi player and co op Campaign but by the time I had finished with the single player I'd had my fill of the jungle. Far Cry is and easy game to recommend as there is plenty to like and almost certainly something you'll love, you just have to wade through all the crap to get to it. Expand
  98. Apr 29, 2013
    Essentially Far Cry 3 is a very good game.. but it is not amazing... It starts very strongly, the characters are colorful and interesting, at the beginning you have a lot to explore and many missions to do... But... you eventually realize how repetitive this game is... same missions, same locations same everything... In the end I spent an easy 40hrs doing side missions and finding statuesEssentially Far Cry 3 is a very good game.. but it is not amazing... It starts very strongly, the characters are colorful and interesting, at the beginning you have a lot to explore and many missions to do... But... you eventually realize how repetitive this game is... same missions, same locations same everything... In the end I spent an easy 40hrs doing side missions and finding statues but then I lost interest and stopped playing the game... there should be a total of 60-70hrs of gameplay if one tries to collect all the collectibles and do all/most of the side missions... This game simply doesn't maintain the same level of interest as skyrim does... However, Farcry3 is well worth the money, especially if you get it on a special (like I did... luv u Steam!!!) Expand
  99. Aug 27, 2013
    By the end of the game you will have a choice which will play one of two outcomes, and I have to say I was extremely surprised how the game ended because it left myself on a cliff hanger I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next? So will we see a Far Cry 4? Time will tell.
  100. Apr 26, 2013
    Good game, amazing graphics. You feel like you are there, hunting, hiding, killing...
    The script is crazy, but dont affects the game as a whole.

The problem is the campaign is so much repetitive and tiresome. I finished the game and never play again.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Hyper Magazine