Far Cry 3 PC

8.2

1. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    I played this game for 2/3 days, just running and shooting and base-jumping. I like the story and graphics. It's one big awesome action movie adventure.
    The game play is also very good for a shooter. I do think it is a shame that they made this game so easy. I play every game on the hardest settings, because the game will last longer and gives you all it has got. Even though I played it on the hardest difficulty, it was too easy. Another thing I do not like it that the game stops and gives you nothing to shoot any more. I completed all the assignments and then the game is just a big world with good guys.. so you start killing the good guys after a while.

After all: It is worth you money, it is worth your time and when I upgrade my computer, the game will be even more awesome, because the graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
  2. Feb 7, 2013
    Far Cry 3 saved the series after a string of pointless spin-offs of the first game, a remake, and a remake OF the remake. To top it off, the last main entry, Far Cry 2, was a mediocre, frustrating, redundant, and unrewarding game set in a somewhat-interesting landscape that lacked any incentive to explore it. Far Cry 3 was a welcome improvement over its predecessors, However, the gameFar Cry 3 saved the series after a string of pointless spin-offs of the first game, a remake, and a remake OF the remake. To top it off, the last main entry, Far Cry 2, was a mediocre, frustrating, redundant, and unrewarding game set in a somewhat-interesting landscape that lacked any incentive to explore it. Far Cry 3 was a welcome improvement over its predecessors, However, the game still suffers from the biggest game-breaking flaw that has plagued the series since the beginning: A large, beautiful environment with no rewards for actually exploring it. All of the weapons are available to the player for free, as long as they unlock radio towers, and the process of doing so requires no challenge. To make it worse, the player has unlimited, free access to previously-unavailable weapons after they pick them up from the corpse of a foe. Meaning if you just grabbed a shiny new gun from the ground, congratulations, you now have it an endless free supply of them, just like any other weapon you may have shelled out thousands of dollars for. There are hardly any unique side-quests worth going out of your way for, and they only reward you with money, which you'll find you have plenty of mid-way through the game. Money is almost worthless once you have all of the weapons readily available. The only purpose is buying the occasional much-needed health, ammo, or body armor. None of which (with maybe the exception of body armor) are difficult to obtain on your own. In fact, I have so many green leaves, which are use to craft healing items, that I had to sell most of them just because I needed the space, and I would never, ever need that much. There are other types of syringes, used for such things as boosting damage resistance to fire, and aiding your hunting and exploration abilities, however, they are unnecessary. Hunting isn't particularly difficult, and neither is combat, even on the most difficult setting. I could go on and on about why Far Cry 3 will not satisfy those who want a meaningful sandbox game, but if you are looking for a slick, fulfilling shooter game, you'll have a blast. Good controls is vital to great combat. Far Cry 3 rivals Max Payne 3 for having the most crisp, fluid controls of any PC game of 2012, even on mid-grade gaming rigs that can't quite run Far Cry 3 with optimal performance. The graphics are eye-popping; the water stands out. The many lakes, rivers, and waterfalls look incredible, especially when the sunlight shimmers along the top, and the bodies of your enemies float freely, slowly staining the teal-liquid red.

In short ,Far Cry 3 fails to impress the adventurer in me, but the warrior in me hasn't been this impressed with a shooter since BioShock.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Some spoilers*: POINT ONE: Ubisoft, the grand masters of screwing legitimate buyers with stupid DRM force you to install "Uplay". It's another crappy attempt at selling their games direct. Who knows what it steals from your PC (thanks Origin). It also doesn't really work with Steam. You have to access the game through Steam, but it's not visible in Uplay if you launch it by itself.
    POINT TWO: This game has been out for almost a week, but Metacritic kept claiming there were 4 days til release. I can only assume that's either a tactic to bump up the (always) ridiculously high "professional" critic reviews, or the people running this website don't know what they're doing.
    POINT TWO: Remember Far Cry 2, and how annoying it was? Like the endlessly re-spawning enemies at roadside shanties? The guns that broke in half? The myriad pointless assassination missions? The fact that is was endlessly boring after a while? The malaria? Well, Far Cry 3 is Far Cry 2 with most of the annoying parts removed and set in a tropical paradise. That's not a bad thing, but it's also nothing particularly special. We've already seen it before. The engine is the same, the graphics are largely the same, the gameplay is largely the same. It's good, but not great. They obviously listened to everyone griping, and just re-wrote the same game. There's hang gliders everywhere, guns that don't break, stupid AI and no malaria. Okay, so the AI is lame in both games, but that's how it is these days.
    POINT THREE: The story is much more prominent, but very cheesy and lite. So cheesy, in fact, that it's laughable at some points. Some user reviewer here said the story had them in tears! Bwah hah hah hah! But seriously, there's mystic powers, a magical self-inking tattoo and islanders with strong New Zealand accents. The nerds who wrote the story for this game are spotty freaks who, well, can't write a story worth a damn.
    POINT FOUR: It's easy. I mean _very_ easy. There's all this RPG-style stuff going on in the background, like learning new skills, collecting things to make stuff, but it's all unnecessary. I mean _completely_ unnecessary. Some things might be handy, like making a holster from wild goats to carry more guns, but you get decent guns everywhere, so why bother? You can also make syringes of medicine, but I've never needed them. Since you don't need any of it to play the game, what's the point?
    POINT FIVE: The driving is hectic. Sometimes a little too fast and overly-responsive, and every car seems to spin out as soon as you press the button that controls the pedal (if you get what I mean). POINT SIX: Some fun side-quests: "trials" where you kill as many baddies as you can in an allotted amount of time, hunt down animals, hunt down baddies, deliver medical supplies etc. POINT SEVEN: The graphics are okay, but basically the same as Far Cry 2. There are some neat vistas to look at, but they're not as epic as Far Cry 2. There was something about the African savanna that tweaked my noodle. A tropical island is overdone. If only they had released a patch for Far Cry 2 that took out all the crap parts and made it a great game. Oh, wait, Far Cry 3 graphics. Right. yeah, they're okay. Intense colours, nice water effects, black shadows around all the NPCs. DX11 lighting effects and all the rocks shine.
    CONCLUSION: It's pretty good as a game and it's growing on me. It will keep you entertained for a while, but it's not what the hype says (it never is). Re-playability looks pretty good. My disappointment is more due to the fact that it's just a remake of Far Cry 2, which means we've seen this all before. Nothing innovative, a lame story and the horrible, unnecessary Uplay application from Ubisoft that you are forced to install. Besides that, people have claimed on the Steam forums that the game is an "amazing experience". No, it's not. Watching the sun rise in Turkey while on a backpacking holiday is an amazing experience. Skydiving is an amazing experience. Having a new-born child is an amazing experience. This is a computer game. Big difference. Having said that, there is fun to be had, and it's not a bad way to waste $70 and hours of your life.
  4. Dec 21, 2012
    The game is becomes boring very fast. Before you know it, all you do is clear pirate bases and activate communication towers. The only interesting parts are the main plot missions but those won't last that long.
    There is no motivation to explore, as you never get anything besides money (presuming you manage not to run around with a full wallet) and junk. You don't get anything like special weapons or interesting items.
    The requirement to craft bags and stuff, makes it pretty tedious. You don't need medicine at all, as they're just bonus buffs and it's not like you need health pots as you can always just duck around a corner and heal with your basic heal instead of instantly with a health pot, this is a FPS not Diablo.
    The regular enemies and allies are just clones of eachother. They literally have like a couple face variants being repeated over and over and they're all just regular humans.

Anyway, game is boring and bland.
  5. May 8, 2013
    Ok where to start. The gameplay here is awesome, as is the setting. Combine it with the free roam and you've got yourself one epic sandbox game, but there a couple glaring problems for me personally. The first one being the story. Now I loved Vaas and how the game starts, but honestly I couldn't hate Jason more. He goes from a giant baby to a giant @$$hole. Sure he's a survivor, but itOk where to start. The gameplay here is awesome, as is the setting. Combine it with the free roam and you've got yourself one epic sandbox game, but there a couple glaring problems for me personally. The first one being the story. Now I loved Vaas and how the game starts, but honestly I couldn't hate Jason more. He goes from a giant baby to a giant @$$hole. Sure he's a survivor, but it doesn't mean he has to be a jerk as well. The stealth has some flaws (like enemies seeing you from 500 yards away through a bush), but it isn't a huge game breaking thing that happens often. What bothers me the most though is all the druggy crap and the perpetual swearing of every character in co-op. It really becomes unnecessary after a while and actually annoying. I know the villain is basically a drug dealer, but I don't want the entire game to be Jason getting high to get in touch all his spirits and stuff like that. Other than that though it really is a solid game. Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems it is the way to make game longer. 2nd part focuses only of shooting - nothing more. The idea of exploration on the 2nd island was dig.
    So the first island I judge for 9, but the 2nd island for 5 only.
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do.Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do. After that is done you usually mark a position of enemy camp as target, go there, few shots with your rifle to take out some pirates. Done. Also thanks to the incedibly broken ai again no challenge even on highest difficulty. What you are left with is a fully revealed, boring region with no enemies left, nothin much to do and like 100 crates scattered around the region waiting for you to get picked up to fill your pockets. Yes and that it is pretty much it. Graphics are decent, game is pretty much free of bugs and working fine, Vaas is fun. So i can not really call it horrible. Got it for 30 Euro in Steam sale, thats O.K.. Expected it to be overated and not worth a 87% metascore before buying it, so i did not get too disappointed. Expand
  8. Dec 12, 2012
    10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry more... bigger wallet, bigger rucksack for items, bigger ammo case etc., you hunt animals and skin them. That was fun, but It took about an hour and I had pretty much upgraded everything. I started gathering items and cash, but here's something I found odd. As in Far Cry 2, you had to quest to make more items available. No problem. In Far Cry 3, you unlock radio towers. But here's the catch, the items aren't only unlocked, they become free. So I'm walking around with a stuffed $6,000 wallet and I've already got everything and not a single reason to loot dead bodies or pick up cash. Modifying weapons cost a little, yeah, but upgrading your favorites only takes a second and your done. Now I'm thinking, what do I do now? In other words, in two hours, there may be plenty to explore, but no reason to do it!

Skills are boring too. The standard ones that increase health are obviously important but the rest are more like "skills of convenience" if you know what I mean. There aren't any you feel like you really want. I've got fifteen skill points and I don't even care. There's nothing there beyond increasing health and a couple of other ones that make a difference. The rest? zzz zzz.

So what's the verdict? Is it worth playing? I'm not finished with it and I will finish it... eventually. Games that get the ratings this one got are supposed to lock you in front of your computer and not set you free until you've savored every morsel. This one? It's like going to a buffet where all the items taste pretty much the same. You'll play it maybe because your hungry but you won't really care what you want next.

As a side note, it may be worth waiting for because there are a few bugs on the pc version. It stutters like a dog unless you can get fps over 60 on the low end. I've got an Intel 3820 oc'd to 4.2 ghz and an Nvidia gtx 680 and need to run on medium settings. I had to get the top fps to about 115 for the normal buttery smoothness I'm accustomed to. And that's borderline. If I even turn on anti-aliasing to any degree, I have to reduce the graphics to low, so I settled for medium and no AA. You can google "Far Cry 3 stuttering" for more info.

The game has value. Think of it like Santa putting a Bugatti Veyron in your drive way but then discover the only place you can drive it... is around the block. It's fancy, but the track is the same.
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    I loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaringI loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaring timer on top of the screen, breaking all the amazing illusions created by the game world. One thing people may gloss over - the writing and characters are, at times, offensively bad. I think I speak for many when I say that overused stereotypes of the "white man saving the indigenous people" trope is obvious and tired. And seriously, **** Vaas. Try harder Ubisoft, seriously. (Quoting Alice in Wonderland throughout was another misguided creative attempt, I felt.) There is a lack of creativity with the entire setting and modern day milieu, and it doesn't interfere entirely with main feel of the game, but it does stifle what could have been. Still definitely worth playing. Expand
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    Far from perfect, but a decent game nonetheless. Shooting mechanics and stealth is implemented well and allows for two different approaches, whereas Far Cry 2 was more limited. Also I'm very glad Ubisoft removed repopulating outposts; those annoyed the heck out of me in Far Cry 2. Ubisoft have made a number of good design choices that have enhanced the game, though some of the problems InFar from perfect, but a decent game nonetheless. Shooting mechanics and stealth is implemented well and allows for two different approaches, whereas Far Cry 2 was more limited. Also I'm very glad Ubisoft removed repopulating outposts; those annoyed the heck out of me in Far Cry 2. Ubisoft have made a number of good design choices that have enhanced the game, though some of the problems In Far Cry 2 are still prevalent in this game. The only missions/quests that seemed to have any depth were the story missions and as you progress, other side quests start to lose their touch and you'll find the jungle environment and the contents it holds wearily repetitive. In the end, even the weapons and recipes you unlock through collectibles isn't enough to hold your attention. Additionally, the SSAO in this game is atrocious and so are some of the textures. The menus could be better as well. Expand
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    Good characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was JasonGood characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was Jason protecting another character with waves of pirates attacking you for some unspecified period of time. The other variant was for you to be charging through enemy lines waiting to come up against a wall of enemy fire you couldn’t tank and then we’re back to the same old cover based combat. During a story mission they attempted a stealth mission but it was just Jason following the path laid out for him by the developers. I didn’t finish this game, the gameplay just sucked too hard during the story missions. 7/10 for the fun had with the outposts, characters and the story itself not the gameplay during the story. Expand
  12. Aug 11, 2014
    What's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generally It's an acceptable childish game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A serious mysterious story with a sublime goal would have been much better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, soWhat's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generally It's an acceptable childish game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A serious mysterious story with a sublime goal would have been much better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, so are all of those explosions everywhere and action generally. The graphics are bad compared with the previous version which is very rich in graphics. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but I'm not playing it again. I think I'll play Far Cry 2 because I's balanced and complete in all aspects. Expand
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10: The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10:
    The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit to long.
    The AI is acceptable, sometimes it feels like it is tracking you to well and sometimes but often it it just stupid enough for you to have fun trying to trick it.
    There are a fair amount of weapon types and while most of the guns feel very similar there are still enough variation and ability to equip different sights, attachments and colors that it feels satisfying.
    However there are some strange bugs with weapons that have extended clips that they are never full up on ammo when you get them from the shop and this is where the RPG element shows it's ugly head.

The RPG - 4/10:
    You can level up, craft items and larger bags to carry stuff in, problem is that you unlock the skills by progressing the story and you earn so much xp that you will always have skill points hanging around waiting for you to do more story missions. So why they don't automatically unlock these new ability when you progress is a mystery to me. This is doubled by that the keyboard and mouse controls in the menus are really clunky.
    The crafting is also under developed you will have crafted all the pouches you can when you are a quoter way into the game and after that skinning animals is pointless and you try to avoid all animals in the world. You can still craft syringes that can help you in various ways however i played the game on hard and never used anything other than the healing syringe that you start with.
    The looting of enemies is also a bit of a downer, you only get money and on the rare occasion some ammo or grenades, but nothing that really feels worth your time and while it is fun to unlock new weapons and attachments for the weapons once you have unlocked all the mechanic falls completely flat and there aren't enough signature weapons (unique weapons you buy that have attachments combinations and colors that the normal unlocked ones don't have) to keep you going.
    The health system is a bit strange, you regenerate partially depleted health bars automatically but not empty ones and you take so much falling damage that while exploring you will lose a bar now and then, the only way to regain that health is to use a health syringe or if you are out of those you can use your healing skill, however since you don't want to waste healing syringes you will end up playing 90% of the game with 1 or 2 bars of health missing.

The Adventure game - 8/10:
    The most fun part of the game is roaming around the beautiful island, unlocking GPS towers and camps are a lot of fun and provide a nice challenge, problem is that once you have unlocked all towers and camps there are basically no enemies left in the world and everything but the story feels pointless. However it will take you some time to do this so it is a minor problem.
    The main character is annoying but the story is good and you will meet some very enjoyable characters along the way. I do however feel that they have taken a step back from FC2 in not letting you chose your character, it would have been nice if there was a choice to play as either a male or female lead and this could easily have been integrated into the story.
    Also the Checkpoint/Save system is a bit weird sometimes working well and at other times not as much, I thought FC2 did the adventure save system better with your friend showing up to save you.

Conclusion:
    It is a good game, while I do miss the red Hawaiian shirt I did still have fun with this game and I do look forward to Far Cry 4.

P.S Ubisoft FFS get rid of the !#%& Uplay, I hate this stupid thing, what was so bad about FC2 system? Install and play and if you choose to go online you needed a CD-key, that was a perfect system!
  14. Jan 10, 2013
    The best part of far cry 3 is the singleplayer. The island is huge and pretty. The wildlife is done great and the "survival" aspects of the game is great fun. There is a lot quests to keep you busy but the quests that is not part of the main campaign is not very varied and will therefor get quite repetitive pretty fast. You can however for the most time decide how you approach your goalThe best part of far cry 3 is the singleplayer. The island is huge and pretty. The wildlife is done great and the "survival" aspects of the game is great fun. There is a lot quests to keep you busy but the quests that is not part of the main campaign is not very varied and will therefor get quite repetitive pretty fast. You can however for the most time decide how you approach your goal which is a nice feature. The main campaign of the game is surprisingly varied and the story have a lot of good moments and memorable characters. The story do however also have some weak spots with some really silly plot turns. The gunplay and action isn't the best that i have seen but that do not have a huge impact on the game since the gameplay is as varied as it is. The singleplayer do however have some minor problems. Radiotowers and enemey bases get old really fast. terrible boss-battles, quicktime events, strange enemy back-up and annoying heavy soldiers is a couple of examples. The multiplayer part of the game is alright. The co-op is a lot more actions oriented than the singleplayer which kind of sucks since that wasn't the best part of the game. The normal multiplayer is bland but ok. I would say that the game is overall quite impressive and that the singleplayer is enough for me to recommend this game to everyone with an interest in the genre. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    To sum it up quickly, Far Cry 3 is a good game. Not superb, not ground-breaking, and sometimes annoying, but overall it's good. A lot of the annoyances of Far Cry 2 have been put to bed (the appalling re-spawning springs to mind), and Far Cry 3 offers a nice tropical atmosphere, a decent story, and a good world to explore. Criticisms? Well the saving system is poor (checkpoints in an openTo sum it up quickly, Far Cry 3 is a good game. Not superb, not ground-breaking, and sometimes annoying, but overall it's good. A lot of the annoyances of Far Cry 2 have been put to bed (the appalling re-spawning springs to mind), and Far Cry 3 offers a nice tropical atmosphere, a decent story, and a good world to explore. Criticisms? Well the saving system is poor (checkpoints in an open world? C'mon!), the animal hunting quickly becomes irrelevant once you've crafted your equipment, and the AI is pretty stupid at times. Also, the missions (outside the main story line) are pretty lame. It's either "hunt an animal" or "kill someone with a knife" and that's about it. Let me be clear, "Skyrim with guns" it most certainly isn't (Skyrim has far more depth). Still, it's a fun shooter overall. Only problem is imagine how good it could have been with decent side quests, a slightly better inventory and a proper saving system. Now THAT would have been Skyrim with guns... Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    For me this is game of the year for sure. After disappointing games like Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 i did not expected much from Far Cry 3. The bigger surprise was when i started playing this game. Really great sand box experience with great combat system and many side quests. Single player got also really interesting story with great characters and pretty good endings (both of em). AndFor me this is game of the year for sure. After disappointing games like Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 i did not expected much from Far Cry 3. The bigger surprise was when i started playing this game. Really great sand box experience with great combat system and many side quests. Single player got also really interesting story with great characters and pretty good endings (both of em). And that´s not all, there is also a multiplayer with Co-op. Expand
  17. Jul 4, 2013
    The Far Cry series is awesome, it's always been adventurous and always tried to be different from the normal games that were out at the time of their releases.
    But this one, I really can't say that, and that really brings it down. They tried to copy a CoD/Battlefield style of gunplay, and while it DID work well, it made the game a little less of it's own. They also got rid of a few things that brought me into the world of Far Cry 2 more than any other game. For one, the world was interactive, as if things could happen when you're not there. You could start brush fires that actually spread and burned lots of things. Now that's not to say this game has anything new, now the animals in the game attack AIs as if they were actual predators, where as before they did... nothing. Speaking of animals, I hated the way they used animal hides. I'm no schtickler, but I don't think making a wallet out of two different animal hides makes it hold any more.
    Well it's an okay game, and I would've put it at a 9/10 if it weren't in the Far Cry series.
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst i found the gameplay fun, i felt the story was presented quite blandly. Jasons friends and enemies get very little screen time which i thought should've been a lot more to get a connection with them, the ending disappointed me because (spoilers) if you choose to leave the island all you get for it is Jason giving a monologue as their boat speeds off into the sunset, i would've liked to see something where we get to see the relationship between him and his girlfriend Liza but it never happens. Gameplay wise I felt that the lack of HUD customization was a bit of a bummer as i went straight for the hard mode because i really like immersion, but the fact that you cant even turn the tutorials off is really disappointing i hope they release an update that lets you hide them. Expand
  19. Dec 12, 2012
    Rating this game is pretty difficult since with high expectations a let down often results in even poorer sometimes unfair grades. Ill try to be as fair as i can though.
    I liked the atmosphere of the game and since i am not a pro fps player i can kill quite some time with killing stupid npcs that have a worse reactions than my granny. Like in for example Prototype just running around ( litterally, since our hero is quite fast with all those guns and stuff) killing stuff is fun and if you dont look at all the maps and quest directions the islands are pretty well designed giving off a nice flair. Wildlife in general is way more scary than npcs especially certain water animals but wearing a shotgun eventually reliefes you of your fear of most animals. I wouldnt take the crafting system too seriously because except for the syringes rather than real crafting its more like upgrading very few predefined things like ammo pouches or quivers and its only working once so before long you only need to craft healing items anymore.
    Anyways i could live with all of this but i have to deduct quite a few points for bugs and/or illogical game play and game design decisions. First off, the looting is horrible and makes you switch weapons with the dead rather then taking their money. Same with skinning dead animals. It looks like the collisions are totally off at this point and this really is annoying and takes up too much time. Another huge setback is the UI. At times it litterally clobbers at you with information but when you really need it like you shot an animal and now need to look for it lying in 3 feet high grass its not helping and you can search for hours before you realize its despawned by now. Oh and whatever you do, try to avoid vehicles. Boats are kind of okay-ish i guess but almost any land vehicle gives off worse handling than an aircraft turbine powered hovercraft would have. Probably this is why even friendly NPCs may kill you by accident when you walk on the streets. I could probably go on a little more but there really are some fun things too. The world itself behaves pretty random and funny sometimes. A nice example was an enemy in a car hitting a goat on the street ending up exploding on a tree starting a fire which burned down a enemy base. Now thats bad luck!
    I am still giving 7 out of 10 because there is a lot potential in this one and i am really curious about what mods the community will create. Yes i had fun.
    PS I did not mention the story at all because its a shooter. Yes there is a story and its not really worth mentioning. Are you REALLY surprised??

Over all:
    Graphics 8/10 (setback water)
    Audio 9/10 (good soundtrack, nice voice acting i have to admit even if unecessary)
    Gameplay(single player) 7/10 (setbacks low difficulty, no bulletdrop, enemy AI, no real rpg however it tried - still 7/10 because its still fun and big and it has a bow)

Cheers! Biz
  20. Dec 14, 2012
    The game is OK.
    It lacks the depth that far cry 2 had and very quickly becomes repetitive. The graphics are OK, again compared to fc2 when that came out..disappointing. A lot of the things I liked from fc2 have been removed in favour of suiting child like play styles, which given the language in this game, leaves me confused.
    Then there's the storyline, some spoilt rich kid all of a
    The game is OK.
    Then there's the storyline, some spoilt rich kid all of a sudden overnight learns how to skin animals, make rucksacks, ammo pouches etc, and is instantly proficient with any weapon he picks up! This IMO, makes it very hard to become the character.

That said, the driving is much better in this and then side missions can be fun, dragging you away from they monotamous repetitavness that is the main SL.

7/10 as at least is a relatively good game unlike most the dross released lately, just REALLY annoyed they dumbed the game down.
  21. Dec 24, 2012
    FC3 is along with AC3 the biggest dissappointment in 2012 / 2013, what bothered me the most is that there is no enemy artificical intelligence at all it seems, all the missions must be played exactly as the level designer made it there is nothing individual, if you dont do things exactly as ubi wants you to do it, the mission failes, i recall that even FC2 or FC1 had a better Enemy AI, andFC3 is along with AC3 the biggest dissappointment in 2012 / 2013, what bothered me the most is that there is no enemy artificical intelligence at all it seems, all the missions must be played exactly as the level designer made it there is nothing individual, if you dont do things exactly as ubi wants you to do it, the mission failes, i recall that even FC2 or FC1 had a better Enemy AI, and Level Design, so FC3 looks like a downgrade to me. Sure the GFX are nice, but its no destructable environment like Crysis / BF3 has, so half of the nice GFX arent worth it to begin with. Also the looting, the treasures, the relics, and memory cards are brainless collections, Seems like Ubisoft is gameversions v.3 are worst the gaming world ever seen.
    So as summary, when you can get the game on some sale for 10 - 20 dollars its worth spending it, anything above is a waste of your / my money, cause the overall gameplay of FC3 is more compareable to some Commodore 64 / Atari games what we had like 20 years ago.
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    The single player was exciting and superbly entertaining. I enjoyed beautiful island with all its wildlife and madmen. The greatest downside was the multiplayer. NO DEDICATED SERVERS?? How can a PC multiplayer work without dedicated servers? The game stops and sometimes disconnects when the host leaves, it really gets on my nerves and I did not get the multiplayer experience I had hoped for.
  23. Jan 30, 2013
    This is a very average game. It definitely does not deserve the ratings it was given (especially being called 'Skyrim with guns'. The scenery is very beautiful, booming with biodiversity and luscious colors. The player action mechanics could have been polished a lot more, often I struggle to enter vehicles, door ways, and turrets. Its an open world, but the majority of it is not worthThis is a very average game. It definitely does not deserve the ratings it was given (especially being called 'Skyrim with guns'. The scenery is very beautiful, booming with biodiversity and luscious colors. The player action mechanics could have been polished a lot more, often I struggle to enter vehicles, door ways, and turrets. Its an open world, but the majority of it is not worth exploring. Your not going to be aimlessly walking around in hopes to find a secret area which will hold some awesome side quest, but instead you will be mostly likely driving/gliding/boating/fast travelling to your next main quest objective. Side quests are a joke as they are repeats of other challenges (hunt this animal, race to his area, kill this one guy in an enemy base). The main quests are the only thing you will want to be doing unless you are killing animals to upgrade your ammo pouches/syringe kits so you can survive the main quests. The main quests were fun in the beginning with the diversity in the formula (car chases, burning down pot fields, tripping on drugs), but after the first half of the game the formula seemed to narrow down to silently killing everything in a base, or fight waves of enemies until your ride gets you out. There's only two types of loot: leafs to make syringes, and things to sell for money (and I mean you literally have to sell them because they serve no other purpose). There is also collecting furs and skins to upgrade your pouches, but upgrading them to the necessary amount to survive the whole game can be done easily before continuing to the second mission. The story line was interesting and realistic for the most part, except for the tattoos, but I also liked that too (this part is all opinion based). The theme which is 'state of society to state of nature' I also liked as it was a new twist from most games. The leveling system was average. It can be best related to a borderlands skill tree. Many main characters often become a thing of the past as you advance through the game. TL;DR: the game is alright, has a lot of potential, but lacks a lot of diversity and does not deserve anywhere close to the ratings and hype they gave for it. Expand
  24. Feb 16, 2013
    Unlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungleUnlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungle is a welcome one. But FC3 was just too dull for me. It felt exactly like FC2 only with a brighter sun and surf on my doorstep. Oh an not having malaria this time is always a delight in gaming.

The story is interesting, Vas is crazy and I must save my moron friends. That works fine in this island paradise. But while on this journey of the mind and sole of my character I grew to, well, there is no easy way to say this hate myself. Not in reality, but within the game. Why, you may ask? Simple, unlike Gordon Freeman, he speaks and what he has to say is of no value and often takes the words out of my mouth before I get to say anything in reality. This happens when I enter a cave or put out an arm fire. He just chimes in and says the obvious. Things like "wow, what a cave amazing place". Yes Jason, we get it.

Me aside, the game world offers very little as far as open world games go. Radio tower scouts, hunting, driving to kill people, you name it. All those dull things just didn't carry any real value to me other than building bigger wallets to buy slightly better weapons once in a while. The camera is also useless as I found I couldn't bring it out to take wonderful screenshots of this oceanic paradise. Why not?! I did enjoy taking over locations. This is something that the game developers have done with such a simple fineness that makes them enjoyable. The main story is not too bad either and worth a good play-through at least once. But if I play through it again, the game would need to be patched to remove any dialogue from my character, he is just so full of um... Solid game, but not as good as it could be. 7/10.
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    Far Cry 3 many things right, but those are overshadowed by its many flaws. This game can be a lot of fun. The sandbox world provides hours of exploration. There are plenty of weapons and upgrades to spice things up, so players can use different tactics to dispatch baddies. I was pleasantly surprised by the lengthy main story. Its missions are segmented, so gamers can explore, tackle sideFar Cry 3 many things right, but those are overshadowed by its many flaws. This game can be a lot of fun. The sandbox world provides hours of exploration. There are plenty of weapons and upgrades to spice things up, so players can use different tactics to dispatch baddies. I was pleasantly surprised by the lengthy main story. Its missions are segmented, so gamers can explore, tackle side quests, or wreak havoc once a mission is completed. Weapons and abilities upgrade rather quickly. This is a welcome reprieve since many sandbox games require a 40+ hour investment to max things out. My advice: Invest in health upgrades early on. Gunplay is decent. My loadout consisted of an LMG, shotgun, bow, and the Vector. The bow is easily my favorite weapon which is odd because I despise it in Crysis 3. Attaching grenades /molotovs to arrows converts the bow to a precision rocket launcher in seconds. At medium difficulty, the enemies are challenging enough and dish out some serious damage. Graphically the game impresses. Far Cry 3 uses the Dunia 2 engine, a heavily modified version of CryEngine. Fortunately for us, the game runs smoothly and is less glitchy than any Crytek game I’ve played. I find that ironic. Even with an older graphics card under the hood, I had no difficulty running the game on Ultra settings. Now for the bad. Foremost, all the NPC’s look the same. There might be 20 character models for the entire island. Every villager looks the same. Every baddie looks the same. Every old woman looks the same. And it gets worse. The NPC’s have a very, very limited number of lines. Within 30 minutes, you’ll hear everything that will be said on the island. And these same few lines will be repeated for 20+ hours or however long it takes to complete the game. Next, side quests are redundant. At any point in time, players will only be doing one of six things. In a nutshell, Far Cry 3 involves doing the same quests over and over again while killing hundreds of identical baddies who all say the exact same things. Sounds exciting, eh? Yeah, right… The narrative is a bit weak as it tries to force emotions on players that just aren’t there. Despite Far Cry’s gruesome opening, I didn’t feel the urgency to rescue a bunch of stupid rich kids who didn’t know they’re on an island filled with pirates. Despite my distaste for the protagonist and his friends, the story is good. Graphical comparisons are being made between Far Cry 3 and the original Crysis. I vote that Crysis looks better. Even on Ultra, there is still a fair amount of drawing on distant objects and texture quality is hit or miss on different surfaces. Colors are oversaturated much like the original Far Cry (that could be intentional) resulting in plastic looking foliage and props. Frankly, those things don’t really matter. But there is one glaring graphical fault in Far Cry 3: The character models. They’re just plain awful. I’m really baffled by how bad they look and move. As you can tell, I have a huge beef against the NPC’s in this game. Another gripe is the easy exploration. The game indicates locations of everything on the minimap AND players can purchase maps to reveal hidden items. So the “challenge” of exploration is gone. Simply travel to an area, look at your minimap, and get all the goodies. Wow! That was easy! Looting is problematic because prompts don’t always appear and the in game menu displays advertisements breaking the immersion. These issues aren’t game breaking, just incredibly annoying. The multiplayer is a mixed bag and a few steps above the tacked on garbage gamers got with Spec Ops: The Line. If you want to fight in shanty towns wearing t-shirts and sandals, pick up Max Payne 3. Gameplay is average—typical run and gun. The maps are larger than Black Ops 2 with plenty of places to hide, but they’re littered with shacks and debris. So expect an overabundance of close quarters combat. The online experience fares better in co-op mode. It has the potential to be really fun offering at least 10 hours of play in a single run. But players can’t choose which chapters to play, so many get stuck playing the same 2-3 chapters repeatedly. This glaring omission trashes the co-op mode which leads to my biggest complaints against the online experience: shoddy matchmaking and game breaking host migrations. To close, the sandbox experience of Far Cry 3 is truly great compared to most shooters. But too many of the campaign elements are bland and repetitive. The multiplayer has some strong elements, but execution is poor. Considering Ubisoft’s long history with online gaming, the sloppy multiplayer is inexcusable. A game is only as good as the sum of its part, and too many parts are under realized. If you don’t want to avoid a slapdash multiplayer and desire strong RPG elements, Skyrim is the best choice. But if you prefer guns to magic, Far Cry 3 is really the only alternative out right now. Expand
  26. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Please don't pay heed to those who criticize reviews scoring below 7. There is nothing wrong with their reviews. I've played the game through 3 times and can attest to some serious flaws on the PC version of this game.

That said, FC3 is a great game. But the flaws may make it unplayable to some, especially those who are experienced RPG/FPS gamers.

Most annoying is probably the clunky inventory system. You cannot batch sell items, whether they are junk items or not. Doesn't matter if you have five to sell or fifty. Each item requires a double-click, and craft items require a double-click AND an additional click for confirmation on a box pop-up you must move the cursor over to click on. I know that sounds trivial, but imagine going online to buy 36 AAA batteries and each battery you had to click and drag to your shopping cart and then a pop-up box came up after each battery you dragged asking you to confirm you really wanted to purchase that individual battery... 36 times. Imagine doing that whole scenario over and over and over again until the tip of your index finger bled. That's selling off gear in FC3. It yanks you right out of the game. Plus, the slight delay while a jarring sound FX plays after each item is sold makes it even more time consuming and cumbersome. Moreover, when clicking on these items, sometimes the inventory screen will auto-advance to the area where you were selling off inventory and sometimes it won't. As the only mouse scroll function in the inventory system is the relics screen (utterly useless beyond clearing the yellow exclamation icons as relics have no item description), you have to use the arrow keys to scroll down, sometimes for each item you're selling. It kinda' notches the fun meter down a bit in FC3.

Another issue with looting is the extended animation used when looting bodies. It's fun eye candy the first 2-3 times, then becomes tedious and time consuming for the next 1,000+. It also creates the possibility of exposure to your enemies, even if you're looting from cover, as the animation moves you from your original position. Choose to wait until all enemies are dispatched and you risk the chance of the bodies disappearing, leaving only their rifles behind. And if you're using a weapon other than what's equipped on the lootee (You almost certainly are, they only carry two variants, pirates-AK47, privateers-P416). You have to twist and turn until "loot body" displays rather than "swap weapon", as both actions require a long E press. Frustrating, time consuming, unnecessary.

Possibly the biggest issue for many PC gamers are the looong, unskippable cut-scenes. Some requiring rudimentary user input. Not enough to keep you immersed, but enough so that you can't make a mad dash for the head or go for a smoke and skip the whole thing. Not allowing the player to escape the monotony isn't going to win you any friends amongst seasoned gamers, Ubisoft. And I fully agree with previous reviews, if I want to skip the tutorial, I should be allowed to. I won't toss the game in the scrap heap just because of it, but I completely empathize with those that do. There is no reason beyond arrogance and hubris that a game designer wouldn't include that crucial option. They can dress it up how they like, but I'm not buying it's so that we will all be forced to learn the controls and the plot premise. If so, why isn't it skippable on future playthroughs? Yup, that gets old FAST. Other minor annoyances like the constant nagging to do bulletin board quests and the limited NPC dialogue don't bother me as much as some, but it does degrade the experience on repeat playthroughs. This may be intentional, of course. No developer wants to make a game to end all games, someone's gotta' pay for the next one, right? The original Far Cry is still #1 in my book, FC2 is third based on its excruciatingly painful and monotonous repetition. FC3 sits squarely between the two as second best. The (mostly) open world experience, great weapons, fantastic voice acting (apart from Jason and his pals) and especially the wildlife and island beauty that really draw you into the game are all reasons to play. Just be wary ahead of time that a good deal of frustration comes along with it.
  27. Jul 22, 2013
    Okay, but feels mediocre on many different levels. Replayability in the single player as much as people claim, is very low. Sure, it's open world, sure it has a small-time progression system with little crafting. But other than that, this is far from something like let's say skyrim. Not that I was expecting it to be anyways. The biggest complaint I have with this game is the complete lackOkay, but feels mediocre on many different levels. Replayability in the single player as much as people claim, is very low. Sure, it's open world, sure it has a small-time progression system with little crafting. But other than that, this is far from something like let's say skyrim. Not that I was expecting it to be anyways. The biggest complaint I have with this game is the complete lack of content. People say this is very sandbox. And honestly, it really isn't And I mean that truthfully. It is not sandbox. The only thing that makes this game come close to a sandbox is it's freedom of space and it's crafting system. And that's about all of the game's extra content. Kill animals, gather certain stuff from them to "craft" things that should have been there in the first place. It almost seems like they had the game planned out, but decided to cut a lot of stuff from it for you to get on you're own.

Honestly if you are like me and was looking for a game to spend many many many hours on in it's open world doing things, you're better off buying something like Assassin's Creed or Just Cause 2, or GTA, or SOMETHING. This game was a dissopointment and I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes high for it.

This game wants to be skyrim but lacks it's backbone in every aspect.

BTW the multilayer is mediocre as hell and will drop your framerate faster than you can say "oh
  28. May 2, 2013
    Spent 60 on this due to all the glowing reviews about it. Skyrim with guns? Not even close. Pros for this game is the great story line, other than that it's almost borderline boring. Good guys wear blue, bad guys wear red, what they all shop at the same store for a team discount? animals are contained in specific areas, everyone says the same stuff over and over and the other npc's areSpent 60 on this due to all the glowing reviews about it. Skyrim with guns? Not even close. Pros for this game is the great story line, other than that it's almost borderline boring. Good guys wear blue, bad guys wear red, what they all shop at the same store for a team discount? animals are contained in specific areas, everyone says the same stuff over and over and the other npc's are usually mutes and can't speak at all. This game could have been a lot more, but it should never be compared to Skyrim as it's 1/10th of the same game. Expand
  29. Jul 12, 2014
    Liked the game for the open world elements and the graphics are nice. Had a lot of time running around, driving, shooting, swimming, exploring etc, but as a story it's a waste of time. Cliched writing, terrible ending - made the entire endeavour seem pointless.
  30. Jun 30, 2013
    I Think it's an interesting game, it is really cool the open world mote, it's just i don't really like the topic of Wild West, well, but in Wild West topic this was the best game i played, crafting and the open world is really cool, the graphics aren't bad at all, I enjoyed the story, the game has some surprises, anyway, the things is, i don't give 10 and 9 to Far Cry 3 because it's good,I Think it's an interesting game, it is really cool the open world mote, it's just i don't really like the topic of Wild West, well, but in Wild West topic this was the best game i played, crafting and the open world is really cool, the graphics aren't bad at all, I enjoyed the story, the game has some surprises, anyway, the things is, i don't give 10 and 9 to Far Cry 3 because it's good, it is a good game, i didn't find any bugs or any bad things in the game even if i was searching, but the game has nothing good so i don't see a reason to give Far Cry 3 a 9 or 10. Expand
  31. Dec 4, 2012
    Game of the year 2012, maybe 2013
    -massive island to explore
    -very high IQ of AI -funny to hunt animals, -great to watch lions, leopards or even dogs with rabies in actions against pigs, buffalos or local people:) -great weapons, super cool flamethrower , snakes will love it! -very playable on low end machine, old c2d , gtx275, dx9 , res 1600*900 all settings high, getting 30fps
    Game of the year 2012, maybe 2013
    -massive island to explore
    -very high IQ of AI
    -great weapons, super cool flamethrower , snakes will love it!
    -very playable on low end machine, old c2d , gtx275, dx9 , res 1600*900 all settings high, getting 30fps stable.
    -deers can commit suicide by jumping into waterfalls - they are so scared of lions
    -sharks omg go fish some! -graphics is fantastic all that perfect atmosphere, stealth, taking down enemies with silenced weapons or just a bow, they will limit their speech to" fock me, wtf was that" lol
    -i can continue with positives for more than hours. Better will be, go and play this game and see it by yourself.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Hyper Magazine