8.2

1. Dec 4, 2012
    (Note: I'm in Europe, I've had this game since Nov 29th) I think this is the first game this year to not disappoint me. I was a semi-fan of Far Cry 2 - it was almost a good game, but some unfortunately game-breaking bugs, such as the quickly respawning enemies and broken stealth elements, kept it from reaching its potential and could unfortunately not be modded away. I had high hopes that(Note: I'm in Europe, I've had this game since Nov 29th) I think this is the first game this year to not disappoint me. I was a semi-fan of Far Cry 2 - it was almost a good game, but some unfortunately game-breaking bugs, such as the quickly respawning enemies and broken stealth elements, kept it from reaching its potential and could unfortunately not be modded away. I had high hopes that Far Cry 3 would fix these mistakes while keeping the open gameplay and solid shooter mechanics. It has. Far Cry 3 starts you off as a regular Joe who's never killed anyone before, and forces him to become a killing machine in order to save his friends and two brothers. This story is nice enough, but doesn't explain how Jason - that's you - becomes the world's foremost assassin in a couple of days, so Ubisoft apparently felt the need to add some voodoo magic to explain this. I'm not too sure about this design decisions, which also leads to some, in my opinion, bad story elements, but I suppose it works well enough to keep you interested. The gameplay is absolutely great, letting you freely choose stealth or gung-ho gunning in almost every situation, and particularly the stealth gameplay is some of the best I've seen yet, and it's my favourite genre. Like in Far Cry 2 you are encouraged to scout enemy positions before attacking, and your (admittedly unrealistic and unexplained) zoom-lens camera can tag enemies for you, letting you know their positions in realtime when you move in. If you go the stealth-route you can then choose to dispatch your enemies either with your machete, which will give an XP bonus (yes, the game has RPG elements that also work great), or with any number of silenced weapons, not least of which a bow. If you go with the machete, a skill upgrade will also allow you to drag away the bodies, so your enemies won't find them and raise the alarm. If you clear an enemy outpost silently, you get triple the XP on top of the satisfaction.

Graphics are of course as excellent as you'd expect from a Far Cry game, and the island is huge (but don't worry, you can fast travel) and looks absolutely stunning, with extreme view range even on the lowest settings. Though I have to say I miss the African savannah setting from FC2, which has now been replaced with a more commonly seen South-east Asian jungle island.

Unfortunately there are a few things I don't like so much, that prevent it from getting a perfect 10. One of the things, which may seem minor, is that the game constantly reminds you to go to your next main mission with a box on screen and a thumping sound. That's extremely annoying when on a side mission, as even after many hours of gameplay, I think I've been discovered or something when the sound plays. The story has clearly taken quite a few hints from COD, and incidentally they're the parts I like the least. The side missions are still very repetitive and don't feel natural. The hunting gameplay, which starts out very rewarding, becomes completely pointless fairly quickly, when you've upgraded what you want. Why not make pelts worth some decent money at least? I can get more from searching one enemy corpse than by selling a tiger skin. I'm also not too crazy about most of the skills being locked for the first half or so of the game. I think it should be limited by XP levels alone. There are also a few inconsistencies in the gameplay, such as enemies sometimes hearing you throw a knife and sometimes not, and the takedown button (one hit kill with machete) sometimes not working, making you just slash an enemy instead, which alerts the others. Really annoying when you're going for that undetected bonus. But none of this is enough to ruin my enjoyment of what really is a great game.
  2. Dec 4, 2012
    As much as I tried to like this game, the extremely dragged out crysis experience ultimately forced me to give up on it. Enemy AI is laughable, stealth is terribly broken with "the enemy must see your face and you must see theirs" logic, gathering materials feels like an MMORPG grind-quest, healing system is dumbed down and becomes laughable as to either spend skill points to have anAs much as I tried to like this game, the extremely dragged out crysis experience ultimately forced me to give up on it. Enemy AI is laughable, stealth is terribly broken with "the enemy must see your face and you must see theirs" logic, gathering materials feels like an MMORPG grind-quest, healing system is dumbed down and becomes laughable as to either spend skill points to have an infinite amount of first aid that fully heals you after some time or constantly run around in the woods, looking for green herbs so you can constantly inject yourself with syringes. If you jump on say, a hill that's going two degrees down-hill, you will stumble and damage yourself, AKA dislocating your thumb for 1 bar of damage. If you shoot a silenced sniper rifle 5000 yards away, enemies will still rush to the exact spot where the weapon was fired. If you get knocked down by an enemy to the ground, struggle with quick time events and get up with low hp left, you will instantly die as the enemy will spam melees, effectively spawn-camping you. Yes, animals as well. I could go on and on and on about the countless amount of flaws and smelly design choices in this game but at the end of the day, it is a polished turd that has been dumbed down version of Far Cry that tries to be a cinematic version of Crysis with graphics with little regard to the original series as it tries to force-feed you a story using a wooden spoon with splinters. Stay away from this title as a fan or get into it with small/no expectations. Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    The game feels shallow. You earn money to fast, gain hides and plants to fast (for making bags, syringes etc.) and you have access to all weapons you want in nearly 2 hours. That's also how many hours it takes to have the feeling that you've been there and done that. The island, environment, characters etc. look good, forgiving the somewhat outdated graphics. Unfortunately every piece ofThe game feels shallow. You earn money to fast, gain hides and plants to fast (for making bags, syringes etc.) and you have access to all weapons you want in nearly 2 hours. That's also how many hours it takes to have the feeling that you've been there and done that. The island, environment, characters etc. look good, forgiving the somewhat outdated graphics. Unfortunately every piece of the island looks the same, as do all camps, cars, trees, bushes, caves, pirates etc. So why should you explore every corner of it? Gameplay is solid; weapons handle very tight, although a bit to tight, wich makes killing foes a piece of cake. Every weapon handles the same. Driving cars is weird, you get the feeling you glide over the road with a immense and unrealistic speed. Story is a bit ridiculous, but finely interwoven in the game with scènes that make you dizzy because the protagonist (your character) shakes his head left and right, up and down like a headbanger from the early '90s. It's a shame the game gets so boring after a while, but climbing towers, getting rid of pirates in camps, going from A to B to continue the story - which is necessarry to continue your leveling progress, which forces you to stop what you want to do and follow the linear storyline - is fun the first few times you do it. But I quit after three hours or so, bored by the forgettable side-quests, story and tropical world. And i think many will not see the end of the game as well or will continue, forced to see the end. A cliche ending which can be found on YouTube; the easy solution. A Expand
  4. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay..
    The combat system allows you to play the game your own way, whether it be like rambo or hitman, or a combination of both himbon! and many other play styles..
    The story could be strong, but its easily over looked when there is so much to do and explore.. This has quickly become one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, I would
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay..
    This has quickly become one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, I would rank it up there with the GTA Series, Elderscrolls, dark souls and halflife..

The co-op adds many more ours of fun and a social immersion into the tropical island paradise/hell..

Get this game you won't regret it, definitely worth the $70!
  5. gas
    Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 2 was a promising sandbox but it was boring after a little, not a bad game, but nothing exceptional.
    Far Cry 3 is... exactly the same, just bigger and more cod-generation oriented.
    Far Cry 3 is... exactly the same, just bigger and more cod-generation oriented.
    Devs decided that to improve the game the right path was adding long and unskippable cinematics and Tarantino's style npcs, basically following the trend of any recent fps, it seems they all want to make movies nowadays..
    It was not a bad idea itself, but the exectuion is poor, the story is brainless linear garbage, there is an island, some npcs helping you without any reason, bad guys got red t-shirts, good guys got blue t-shirts, you are a student with no military background who suddenly starts going around with rocket launchers and assault rifles doing rambo, killing dozens of "pirates", primary following a linear main quest arc, helping villagers following mostly terrible side quests, also its really bad imo the fact in this game you basically got unlimited ammo and weapons as there is a dealer every village and you can teleport there in any moment.
    The game mechanic is uber repetitive as side quests and activities, and also its really ruined by the fact this game is made to be played with a joypad.
    Beside the forgettable main quest plot, there are side quests which are all forgettable too, worse if possible then the main quest, usually excessive dramatic illogic situations, then every time the player conquer a camp there are more quests which are always the same 3, one hunting quest, one assassination quest, , and a driving quest (driving is terrible in this game btw), all three quests are very boring and after one day i started to skip them except the hunting which is needed for the in game crafting system so they are a must.
    This game is similar to Dead Island as kind of sandbox game, great presentation, tedious and repetitive gameplay with tons of issues and illogic and poor devs choices.
    The rpg side of the game is not interesting, the abilities you can unlock will be all unlocked going on so there is no sense of developing a specific trait and character.
    This game offers unlimited ammo and weapons as you can fast travel to any camp at any moment and refill with everything, there is no option to change this in game and imo it ruins a lot the basic idea of the plot where the player should be a desperate survivor moving into a dangerous territory.
    The game is also badly ruined by the fact its developed as a console game, it happens quite often but this game is terrible cause this aspect, so its not only the fact its developed with console menu style, but its really developed to be played with a joypad, to a point where playing with keyboard + mouse is a problem, keybinding is not enough customizable, especially the special abilities are impossible to keybind after the first 2, at least using the menu, didnt check if there is an ini to tweak but comon its 2012.
    The inventory and menu system is by far the worse ever seen in gaming hystor, selling and buying stuff is terrible, and overall the menu system is absurd.
    The mouse movement is not totally smooth, tryed with razer and logitech gaming mouses, basically it feels a bit unresponsive compared to any good fps, and it lags badly while in the menus.
    Another great problem is the checkpoint save system, who invented this terrible mechanic should be banned from gaming developing.
    If a console user may be used to this system due to old time console limitations, for a pc player this is something out of any logic, if it happens you need to shut down the pc for any reason in most occasions you will have to see again a long brainless cinematic and redo all the mission from the start, for me its a big issue.
    Graphically its sub-par surely cause the console limits actually are impressive compared to what can do a new pc, I guess Crysis one looks better then this, anyway its not my main concern.
    At the end i find mostly this game irritating me cause the console style menu/inventory and game mechanics developing, anyway even if all those issue would be solved the game is still boring itself and doesnt have the quality that professional reviewers are trying to sell us.
  6. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not getFar Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not get scrolled with mousewheel. Several times you cannot use enter to activate the "Use" or "Ok" or "Next" option. Several functions are inconsistent - in one interface, you click a button to scroll through inventory sort modes in the bottom of the screen, in other, you click left-right arrows near the top of the screen where current sort option is displayed. Overall, interface is just clunky and not optimised for PC. Controls are awful. You cannot have a hold-to-run or hold-to-crouch option. You cannot really change your mouse look precision (lowest setting is still too high for a shooter). You have to set up controls multiple times - one for your guy, one for your guy in the car, and there are numerous bugs involved (like, car part would let you assign a key that is already used for "map" or "heal" but it wont work because map or healing always takes precedence). If you ever happen to accidentatlly reassign left click to something else than shooting, you'll have to spend a LOT of time to get your shooting with left click back (just binding it back will stop your weapon from shooting, even though you can do everything else you usually do with left click in this game). Worst of all - glider and wingsuit controls are NOT reassignable. You will have to use WASD for that even if you changed your control scheme. Even worst - if you reassign your crouch key, you will NOT be able to use wingsuit at all because parachute won't open! And without it, landing on anything except water is instant death. After you get over the console portedness of the game, you will be greeted with other annoyances. First - game LOVES to take control from you and force you through long and tedious unskippable cutscenes, special interactive cutscene-like corridor levels, unskippable long phone calls that repeat every time you reload a game even if you save after hearing that call. A huge tutorial is unskippable, even if you chose "difficulty level for very experienced FPS players" - yeah sure, teach me how to crouch, run or avoid detection. Second - game isnt really always open worded. A lot of times you'll be "locked" into an area of a mission, being unable to leave (leave = you went out of combat zone mission failed forced reload). Third - game constantly makes you pause for actions like map, skill allocation, crafting... this is even more ridiculous than eating on pause in Skyrim. You can make leatherwares, craft medicine of insane properties (like 30 second invulnerability or quad damage) on PAUSED so you dont really need to stock up on any medicine - just bring the reagents with you. This really breaks immersion and constantly takes you out of the game. They could make it like in FC2 where you take out map to look at it, or you'd sit down to sew/craft syringes, look at your tatau to chose which skill to pick next, anything! But not this. However, when you get past all this, Far Cry 3 is a great experience. Its very fun, it feels like truly open world, you can do a lot of stuff, crafting and minigames and activities ARE involving and addictive, hunting treasure or animals is fun and overall, yes, this game is good. If you can manage the bads... Expand
  7. Dec 4, 2012
    I fail to understand the negative reviews!

What a game! I have been a gamer now for more than 30 years and there are few games these days which really grab me. Dishonoured was one of the best from 2012. Far Cry 3 very quickly became another. I thnk what sums up the brilliance of this game for me is to say that the best set pieces of the game so far, were not set pieces. They were
    I fail to understand the negative reviews!

I thnk what sums up the brilliance of this game for me is to say that the best set pieces of the game so far, were not set pieces. They were nothing more than "luck", or is that fate? Running from a group of bad guys in my lovely new shiny jeep only to come face to face with another enemy vehicle coming the other way. Careering off the bridge and baling at the last moment, only to find myself swimming towards an undiscovered underwater tunnel... what lies ahead I wonder?

Truly amazing.

Graphics and gameplay are top notch. Amazling level of freedom. I never once felt pushed down a singular route.

Yes there are some nigles, hence the 9. Occasional texture flickering. Occasional problems grabbing a ledge or activating a switch. Oh and occasionally forcing me to stay up in to the early hours when I should be sleeping!!

Truly amazing! Best shooter for an age....
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    This game was completely off my radar for 2012. [I actually never finished Far Cry 2... hated the lack of reason to explore and terrible storyline. And oh god how bad was malaria?] Well guess what... THIS IS GAME OF THE YEAR 2012 MATERIAL! Single player took approximately 30 hrs (55% completion based on stats). The storyline is intense, amazing, and had me in tears at points throughout theThis game was completely off my radar for 2012. [I actually never finished Far Cry 2... hated the lack of reason to explore and terrible storyline. And oh god how bad was malaria?] Well guess what... THIS IS GAME OF THE YEAR 2012 MATERIAL! Single player took approximately 30 hrs (55% completion based on stats). The storyline is intense, amazing, and had me in tears at points throughout the whole journey. They've basically either removed or improved everything in Far Cry 2 that I loathed, and kept everything that I loved. The HUD is absolutely terrible and uPlay is annoying, but after switching uPlay to offline mode I stopped having issues. Gameplay is nice. You start out with nothing, as a scared holiday goer... but you turn into an absolute killing machine with a bow, a knife, suppressed MP5 and flamethrower at your side the enemy doesn't know what beast is after them. Basically you can play this game as an out and out Rambo-fest, or be a bit more predator-type assassin/sneak mode. The sound effects are brilliant. Hunting prey, sneaking up on them... listening to their growls or moans... is thrilling. The music that pumps through my headphones while in the midst of explosions going off everywhere as I trigger my C4 explosives is tight and some brilliant choices. (Die Antwood - I Fink U Freeky, M.I.A., Skrillex etc.). Hmm.... if you liked a combination of Just Cause 2, Far Cry 1, and.... a little Batman Arkham City (Vaas / Joker) / Alice in Wonderland references (oh... some of the dialogue in this game is sooo well delivered!) then this game comes highly recommended. Other notable mechanics are the relics that you find scattered across the island Expand
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    I'm giving this game 2 points, and that's for the graphics. I was severely disappointed by the title. Ive long been a Far Cry fan, and loved nothing more than cranking up the difficulty and planning my strategy filled attacks on outposts. Well what this game did was take the things that separated Far Cry 2 from the rest of first-person shooters, and scraped them. The excessive HUD andI'm giving this game 2 points, and that's for the graphics. I was severely disappointed by the title. Ive long been a Far Cry fan, and loved nothing more than cranking up the difficulty and planning my strategy filled attacks on outposts. Well what this game did was take the things that separated Far Cry 2 from the rest of first-person shooters, and scraped them. The excessive HUD and imbecilic AI turn you into a god, and every element of realism is eliminated. Money is so easy to obtain it's laughable; Dollar bills just laying around on every table in a poverty stricken island nation? Furthermore, the prospect of "Free Weapons" for just climbing a radio tower isn't logical at all. Not only that, but they remove weapon degradation and jamming, field surgery, and actual physical maps? Its obvious the developers noticed that a higher profit could be yielded if they literally dumbed down the title and removed any hint of sophistication as to cater to the 12 year-old COD fanboy demographic. It's as if the last true video game title made by a large developer has been ruined and turned into another over-cinematic arcade shooter (that has been so popular since the 4th Call of Duty) that requires no thought or skill (other than the famed "no-scope" that has grown so popular in the tween circles.) I can at-least be satisfied in that this game is going to bring the community one step closer to noticing the clear capitalistic motives of main stream developers that trump any motivation to create an original, good, game, and one step closer to relying on the indie developers that are creating today's innovative games. Now allow me to step off my soap-box. P.S If you're a 12 year-old console COD fanboy, do us true gamers a favor, and put your parents money toward something of quality (like meth, or cyanide), and stop ruining this industry. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    Far cry 3 is a great game but the only bad thing is that the bad guy (Vaas Montegoro) has a slightly lopsided mohawk. All game breaking mohawks aside this game is amazing.
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    Just adding my two cents worth. I loved the original Far Cry. There were too many things that I didn't like about Far Cry 2 to keep me playing it. Those things have been fixed and / or changed enough so that I am really enjoying Far Cry 3. The biggest complaint I had about Far Cry 2 was the enemy outposts repopulating after you cleared the area. Ubisoft seems to have taken my (and manyJust adding my two cents worth. I loved the original Far Cry. There were too many things that I didn't like about Far Cry 2 to keep me playing it. Those things have been fixed and / or changed enough so that I am really enjoying Far Cry 3. The biggest complaint I had about Far Cry 2 was the enemy outposts repopulating after you cleared the area. Ubisoft seems to have taken my (and many others as well) criticism and turned it into an interesting feature in this game. Now when you clear an outpost, it get tagged as a 'safe zone'. Now you can fast travel to it, and resupply your ammo. I also like the fact that you not only have to be on the lookout for bad guys, but while avoiding contact by lurking in the brush, you may end up being attacked by some wild animal. Take the beast out with an arrow or your knife and you remain hidden. Pop a couple of round into the creature, and all of the bad guys now know where you are. There is so much to do besides the main story line. Exploration, hunting and crafting are a big portion of the game, and essential in order to upgrade skills and weapons. Some don't like the activating the towers to reveal more of the map. I like this part as well, though I am now trying to get all 18 towers activated in order to 'get it over with'. Climbing each individual tower is unique enough that you get a level of satisfaction once you flip the switch and see the animation detailing the portion of the map you've just revealed. The health system is similar to Far Cry 2, but now you don't have to deal with malaria all the time. (The other feature of that game I disliked) You can craft heath syringes, but with the appropriate skill, they aren't really required. I've set the graphical settings on ultra with my Phenom II X4 and 6950 with the latest AMD driver with the Far Cry 3 profile. The frame rate is playable enough so that I don't feel the need to lower it. However, I should state that I have vsync disabled. Again, I find Far Cry 3 to be a vast improvement over the previous game. Expand
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 3's plot is so stupid, irritating, and even offensive, that it's difficult to enjoy the eye candy on display. Immature players only.
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    Im having a hard time reading all the zeros and two's. Really? How can you dislike the game so bad? Some people say that the graphics are bad, i say **** you cause if you are running a 8800GT with an old ass Celeron no wonder (to you Ochetazinco). You say enemy AI sucks? Explain us exactly WHY. Did you hate the other Far Cry games? Why did you get this one? People should stop playing aIm having a hard time reading all the zeros and two's. Really? How can you dislike the game so bad? Some people say that the graphics are bad, i say **** you cause if you are running a 8800GT with an old ass Celeron no wonder (to you Ochetazinco). You say enemy AI sucks? Explain us exactly WHY. Did you hate the other Far Cry games? Why did you get this one? People should stop playing a game for 2 hours and then hating it, give it more time. Also, my guess is people down right hate Ubisoft, and therefor have to give this game a 0.

Now, i love this game and think its probably one of the best games this year. Sure, multiplayer is not very good but its here right? What can we do about it. The campaign is more than enough in my opinion.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    Best sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is aBest sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is a little short and it is not very original, but you can stay exploring the islands after you finished the game. You can earn skill points, which you can use to improve your characters abilities, which is a nice addition. Overall I enjoyed the game much more than any other FPS this year. Collapse
  15. Dec 7, 2012
    Disappointing. The pros:
    Great story telling, solid driving and moving mechanics, the tattoo system is fun.
    The cons: where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the
    Disappointing. The pros:

The cons:
    where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the enemy was looking dead at me and I had zero cover. Money is way too easy to get. Missions, loot boxes, corpses, selling loot items all give you tons of cash and radio towers unlock expensive weapons for free. I had the best weapons within 1-2 hours of play time. The button to pick up/swap weapons is the same as the loot button, resulting in a ton of time spent dancing around a corpse trying not to swap your FAMAS with his crappy AK just so you can loot a crumpled pack of cigarettes and 10 bucks. The voice acting for people is really inconsistent, half the islanders have a British accent. Hunting is AWFUL, animals have no kill zones, aka: no head shots or heart shots, meaning if you head shot a bear, or pretty much any other animal with a .308, he's just going to run you down and rip you to shreds. This means that the only way to hunt effectively is to bring along an LMG and riddle your prey with hundreds of bullets. Laughable. Not to mention, your character constantly whines "gross" every time you skin a kill. This makes sense the first 50 times or so he skins an animal, but after 30 hours of play time and hundreds of animals skinned, listening to your character whine about skinning gets very, very old. If you fail a mission, it will restart you in a predetermined location. This may not feel like a huge deal at first, but sometimes this method will drop you in an approach to a mission you absolutely would not have taken and probably didn't plan for. There were times I did something stupid and died, carrying a sniper rifle, bow and silenced pistol only to be respawned on the flat side of a map, where I had approached the mission initially from a cliff. The ability to sleep is gone, taking the dynamic of night and day away, which I feel was a real downgrade from far cry 2. This leads me into my next section on the experience. It's simply not as good. It's true that FC2 had its share of issues and frustrations, hyper-aware, laserbeam accurate enemies and checkpoints that respawned in what felt like seconds were huge gripes. But despite these problems, and perhaps because of them, the game had a really brutal, unforgiving feel. Every foray into the world was an event you planned for, you carefully managed your limited ammo supply, you waited for just the right time of day, you knew that your weapons could and would eventually fail you, you learned not to trust crappy, rusted weapons found laying around on the ground. Every mission was an exercise in planning and adaptability. You couldn't carry an LMG, a sniper rifle, an RPG and an assault rifle all at once like you can in FC3, so you had to play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses as best as possible. You had to be patient in stressful situations and fire fights because running around like Rambo was likely to get you killed. Virtually all of these things are GONE in FC3 and it's painfully obvious. Now, the game is just another exercise in sprinting endlessly (you can do that now) around a tropical island (again) and firing curtains of lead until your enemies are dead. And let's face it, we've all played that game before.
  16. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay . It turns out to provide the ultimate first person experience . Amazing story so far and yeah .. i am impressed... Great Pc port and runs fine on my average system. All in all not a disappointing at all...
  17. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA gamesThis game is everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but expected it would be; dumbed-down, hand-holding trash, clearly designed with fans of generic console shooters and people with 2 digit IQs in mind (although the two are largely synonymous). I can't really see how anyone could justify paying $60 for this game; the main story takes about 10 hours to complete (like a number of AAA games these days), the multiplayer is very mediocre, and on the whole, there is practically no replay value. Most of the game's features that are somewhat interesting are soon revealed to be nothing more than gimmicks. Prior to playing the game, I was very excited for the hunting/crafting aspect of the game, and while it was admittedly quite fun hunting exotic animals to craft bigger and better equipment, crafting everything only takes about 2 hours. After which point, there's no need to hunt another animal ever again (unless you're a sadist), as the animal skins are practically worthless. Unsurprisingly, the various animals soon become nothing more than an annoyance. Moreover, any real difficulty that could've been associated with hunting is ruined by being able to tag animals with your camera, and track them anywhere (in real time). There are some boring Path of the Hunter side quests (go here and kill x number of a certain animal), but with the ease and rate at which experience points and money both come, there's no need to ever bother with any of them.

Capturing bases is also quite monotonous; due to dim-witted and illogical AI, capturing a base "undetected" is incredibly easy. You'd think if an enemy found a body with a 50 calibre bullet-hole through its head, they'd raise the alarm, right? Wrong. All that happens is they enter an "alerted" state, where they begin to scour the premises for the intruder (i.e. you). Even when they're in this state, you can still kill them (with even a grenade launcher, if you so please), and so long as no-one's stared at you for 5 consecutive seconds, it's counted as capturing the base "undetected". Oh, and as if it weren't easy enough already, you can track enemies with your camera too, in real time. Ridiculous.

These are just a few of Far Cry 3's ill-conceived design implementations. Others include: merchants deciding to give you free weapons after you climb up a radio tower (?), everything important flashing bright yellow (as if you were too stupid to determine a loot chest from a cardboard box), and being able to see the location of every "collectible" on the map (which really defeats the purpose; instead of trying to find ancient ruins and secret passages, you know exactly each of them are, and it just becomes dull travelling and fetching).

The story is incredibly cliched, and has terrible character development; a kid who has "never shot anyone before" can fire an gun at 100% accuracy with no recoil as soon as he picks it up. There are some Alice in Wonderland quotes thrown in that are supposed to mirror the story, but end up coming off as cringe-worthy. Regardless, I'm sure they'll impress idiots and pseudo-intellectuals alike. Even towards the end of the game, I didn't care about the Rakyat at all; I often killed them as soon as they drove into my newly-captured base just so I didn't have to listen to one of them tell me to check out the bulletin board for the 20th time. Graphically, the game is nothing really special. Serious LOD discrepancies, especially with distant objects, and flickering textures and shadows make the game look very sub-par. Some objects do not even have distant levels of detail, and just dissolve in from thin air when you're a certain distance away. Bloom lighting makes everything overbright, however, the sun-glare effect is very nice. Also, the visuals during hallucinogenic drug-induced scenes are very impressive.

After completing the main story and capturing every base, there's effectively no point in continuing to play, since no enemies remain on the island, which makes free roaming incredibly boring. There is also very little replay value, since it's incredibly easy to gain every skill, and the stealth approach is almost always preferable to going in guns blazing.

Conclusively, I'd only recommend getting this game to someone who has a lot of money to waste, and wants to be entertained for 10 hours or so before never playing it again. There are much better open-world shooters out there, such as the GOTY Edition of Fallout 3, and GTA IV, which cost about a quarter of the price and last more than four times as long.
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    Not one of my all time favourites, it has to be said.. Never been a fan of Far Cry, I find it boring, repetitive, dull and the multiplayer is very mediocre
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in theLet's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  20. Dec 4, 2012
    It has been a very long time since I had so much fun with a game without having to play multiplayer (usually all the real content of most games nowadays lies in multiplayer).
    First off it's a splendid and gorgeous game, especially on PC. The amount of detail and polish is very impressive on such a large scale FPS. The best thing about it is that it is consistent - the game looks just as good everywhere, which is a very nice and unexpected thing in a game of this magnitutde. For example in other games of this caliber you will see low quality textures here and there, some glitches and inconsistencies (especially in the Assassin's Creed series) - but not here.
    Another good thing about this game is the amount of freedom you are given to approach said objective. Sure there are a couple of story missions that are kind of linear or restrictive, but other than that it's all up to you. Do you like to make a noisy entrance into the enemy base, without knowing where the enemies are, spray-and-praying Call of Duty style? Go ahead. Do you like to stalk your prey and make a plan and try to keep to it as you silently pick them off with your silenced sniper or trusty bow? You can do that. Or maybe baiting your enemies while you sneak into their base, plant a mine near every alarm and next time they see you BOOM! Or maybe let that leopard trapped in that cage do the job for you. Done! You have so many options it can be overwhelming at times. Most AAA RPGs that are released now and boast with their freedom of choice don't even come close to this game.
    Speaking of RPGs, this game also tries to borrow some elements: you have crafting (but more on this later) and 3 different skill-trees that as you unlock skills in them, tattoos appear on your forearm *or Tataus like they are called here*. But ultimately it isn't that well done as in traditional RPGs.
    Crafting in this game is essential and really makes you want to go hunt or gather ingredients for syringes that beside healing you can grant you some neat abilities (the ability to sense the animals around you or repel predators, etc)
    As for the animals, this is where the game does a VERY good job. There are two types of animals: carnivores and herbivores. Predators and prey. Wherever you go chances are you will see leopards chasing deer, tigers hunting buffalos, sharks eating tortoises, bears assaulting villagers etc. It feels very organic, natural and chaotic as well. These animals can make your life very hard - like surveying an enemy outpost only to find yourself attacked by a tiger, thus drawing enemy attention and realizing there are 4 times more enemy troops now. Or making a run for it and having to cross a river only to be assaulted by a crocodile and dragged underwater as soon you dive into the river. Splendid!
    Now for the story - it is quite interesting as you progress and see Jason slowly changing as a person, lowering himself to Vaas's level. Speaking of Vaas, he is a very good character and a lot of people have compared him to Heath Ledger's joker. You can clearly see the amount of effort Michael Mando (his voice actor) put into him.
    I loved the creepy quotes from Alice in Wonderland appearing between chapters, which to some can seem out of place - but trust me, they fit perfectly.
    Besides the main missions there are plenty of activities ranging from hunting special animals with a specific weapon to races and mini games - Machinima have compared Far Cry 3 to Skyrim and rightfully so.
    There is also a Coop mode and Multiplayer but the real star here is the Singleplayer mode which is both hard and rewarding.
    The one thing that got on my nerves was that your character is supposed to be a town-raised douchebag with no real experience handling weapons - but still he can use a sniper rifle with great accuracy as soon as he touches it. One thing they could have done to fix this would have been to bring back the gun damage from Far Cry 2 - at first guns would jam while you fire them, and as you kill more people you "learn" how to stop this from happening and progressively disappear.
    But they had to cater to the casual players who complained about this mechanic making Far Cry 2 too hard.
    In conclusion my recommendation would be to buy this game, ESPECIALLY if you like first person shooters. It has a solid multiplayer mode and high replay value singleplayer.
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    I am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocreI am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocre textures, bad cartoonish looking grass...and the water and water effects look like they were done with the Windows paint program. Let's take a look at a game like Dirt Showdown, for example, and compare it to this game. When you max out Dirt Showdown, you can really tell the difference, in Far Cry 3 you can't, but your computer takes a huge performance hit for no reason at all. Another game, The Witcher 2 (which is only directx9) the water effects in the Witcher 2 are absolutely stunning, because it looks like real water and when you step in water, there are ripple effects in the puddles, and that is only DX9! Another prominent example is Skyrim, the new textures they added are absolutely stunning, both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim look like they would be DX11, although they are not. When you are playing Skyrim and walking through Solitude, it feels as though you are actually in a real village, your character model looks impressive and you can see the detail on your armor and weapons. The rocks on the trails in Skyrim are impressive, and the water, though not as impressive as in The Witcher 2, still looks better than the 2D "DX11" water in Far Cry 3. Like I said, compare Far Cry 3 to any of these other games, and you will see what I mean. (P.S. compare it with the 2-3 year old Just Cause 2, and you'll definitely see what I mean). Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 should be considered yet another epic failure (remake) of the second instalment in the series, all I can say is that I would like my money back (not possible) and please stop screwing us over.
  23. Dec 5, 2012
    It doesn't deserve 0 but the user score is too high for such a game. If we keep the game and the product as 2 separate things, the product is messy and full of bugs. It keeps crashing on me and the DX11 adds nothing to the graphics. The game doesn't give you any real challenge but the multiplayer. All challenges and missions are easy as pie and the hud (that or some npc doing things youIt doesn't deserve 0 but the user score is too high for such a game. If we keep the game and the product as 2 separate things, the product is messy and full of bugs. It keeps crashing on me and the DX11 adds nothing to the graphics. The game doesn't give you any real challenge but the multiplayer. All challenges and missions are easy as pie and the hud (that or some npc doing things you don't get to do) does the work for you while exploring pointing out where to go and what to push. Cutscenes, qte's and explosive barrels are everywhere to the point it hurts as if health regen coupled with loads of meds were not enough to break the game to the point fall damage works better than shetloads of bullets. It truly feels like an xbox360 exclusive and unless you like pain and play it with a xbox controller your disappointment will know no bounds. And the quests.....i guess it's a good game if you enjoy killing animals over and over again? Expand
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    the bigger the expectation the bigger is the Disappointment or maby i didnt understand what the game supposed to be? is it FPS or RPG i dont understand it.and what with the climbing the towers
    its so frustrating and so is the action scenes very mediocre.the graphics are not bad but you need to have a strong computer.the sound quality is very bad.maybe if you like exploring open world
    with no purpose then tha game is for you.one thing i am sure this is not a worthy(for the 2012 year) action game.
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    I was so wanting to like this game. Having invested a few thousand hours in FC1 I thought this might be it's spiritual successor. The island IS beautiful, the art work is great. My biggest criticism are the numerous pop ups telling you of the current quest and warnings. Also (and i find this a weird design decision) all interactive items in the world glow so you know what you can open orI was so wanting to like this game. Having invested a few thousand hours in FC1 I thought this might be it's spiritual successor. The island IS beautiful, the art work is great. My biggest criticism are the numerous pop ups telling you of the current quest and warnings. Also (and i find this a weird design decision) all interactive items in the world glow so you know what you can open or take but when you get close enough there is another pop-up telling you which button to press to get the item. The mini-map is too far away from the edge of the screen. There is an enemy detection ring bang in the middle of your field of view; at this point in time this cannot be turned off. Why enemies couldn't be displayed on the mini-map is beyond me. You do not "find" loot as it is marked on the mini-map. The sand-box experience is somewhat broken by having to complete a mission before being allowed to wander off exploring.
    In summary a great let down.
  26. Dec 4, 2012
    Game of the year, hands down. Only gave it a 9 because of the horrible, horrible abomination that we all call Uplay. I'm glad you can finally play the game in offline mode, but still, it's a dumb program in the way of your gaming experience. There's server issues galore and I have yet to be able to play a single co op game with my friends.
    Anyway, onto the good: everything else. I've
    Anyway, onto the good: everything else. I've already read some reviews calling this a 'console port'. Now, this is nothing new. Only this time it's actually false. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a PC game. There's a ton of graphical options, full DX11 support and *drumroll* an FOV slider. When's the last time you saw an FOV slider? Mouse smoothing also isn't a problem since you can simply switch it off.
    The gameplay itself is wonderful. If you like sandbox games, this is for you. You can go anywhere and explore and collect for days on end. I've had this game since the European release date and there's still so much more to see and do. Just walking, driving and flying (yes, flying, you get a wingsuit) around the island is a nice experience. The story is good. If you like an actual story, that is. I know some people just want to skip ahead and shoot things, but thank goodness there's still people who actually care. The characters are well written, interesting, and especially the mocap and voice acting is superb. Also remember those weird Scarecrow scenes from Arkham Asylum? The best part of that game? Well get ready for a whole bunch of stuff just like that. The game doesn't play it straight when it comes to the story missions. It'll always leave you guessing when it comes to your motivations (I think it nicked that idea from Spec Ops The Line, which is a good thing) and when it's not doing that the game simulates you tripping your balls off. There's also the not-so-subtle subtext of Alice in Wonderland, which adds a little mystisism to the story, which is a nice little touch. Tip: don't forget to eat the 'Eat me' pills in the friend-cave!
    Basically, this game is a more interesting Far Cry 2, only without that game's flaws. The world is more interesting and more fun to travel through, and this time you can actually fast travel without having to drive for fifteen minutes to find one of those bus stops. Enemies no longer respawn in camps you've just cleared, instead you conquer them for good. Don't worry, there's still random encounters and certain areas where you can always go looking for a fight if you feel like testing out your newly unlocked machine gun. Speaking of guns: the shooting mechanics are finally a lot better. In Far Cry 2 you just shot at someone, some blood would spurt out, and then they would eventually turn into a ragdoll. The bullets didn't have an impact. If you shot at someone who was running, he wouldn't even notice the bullets in his torso, he'd just drop dead once he hit his 'X shots in this area until I die' quota. Bullets in FC3 have an impact, and the death animations are alright. People also delightfully fly through the air when they're too close to an explosion.
    All in all, I love this game. You will too. If you can put yourself to deal with the annoying Uplay, you'll have dozens of hours of fun.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    This is a GAME OF THE YEAR contender for sure. The first thing I noticed was that the voice acting is top notch. It really brings you into the experience and makes the story more compelling. Of course the graphics and game design are great. But we all expected that from a Far Cry game. Ubisoft has also learned alot from the public and what they asked for. No more DRM!!! On SteamThis is a GAME OF THE YEAR contender for sure. The first thing I noticed was that the voice acting is top notch. It really brings you into the experience and makes the story more compelling. Of course the graphics and game design are great. But we all expected that from a Far Cry game. Ubisoft has also learned alot from the public and what they asked for. No more DRM!!! On Steam the game starts at $50 instead of $60 for a hard copy on all platforms. The only downside I have heard of is having to launch via uplay.... which frankly isn't that bad. The worst part was trying to remember which email address my uplay account was linked to. So in this jam packed gaming season just before xmas I would say this is still a easy buy and well worth the time and money!!!! Expand
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    I got this game and at first I was very excited, back to the jungle, finally. I thought at first as I watched the Jack Carver-esque army guy kill guards and escape while my character whined like a little girl about everything, that you would take over the role of said army guy. Then army guy gets shot and I realize I am going to be this whiny 16 year old that after skinning hundreds ofI got this game and at first I was very excited, back to the jungle, finally. I thought at first as I watched the Jack Carver-esque army guy kill guards and escape while my character whined like a little girl about everything, that you would take over the role of said army guy. Then army guy gets shot and I realize I am going to be this whiny 16 year old that after skinning hundreds of animals still says eewee every time he does it. This game has a couple minor issues with the ai and mildly repetitive side missions, but aside from that, the game play is a solid 10. The guns feel really good, they sound amazing, sitting on the couch playing on the TV with a 360 controller and my amazing PC is a huge bonus, unfortunately he story, is downright ABYSMAL and seems to do everything it can to make you not want to play the game. My 2 year old could have written a better story. An easy fix would have been the 16 year old getting shot, and the 30 year old special forces trained bad ass brother going on a murderous rampage would have made a LITTLE more sense, but that's just me. Whoever made the decision on that on should be beaten severely. He constantly complains while effortlessly killing hundreds of people like it is what he was born to do. I just do not see how someone could possibly think that would be a good design decision. Now on to another note, the game does have a co-op mode with actual BELIEVABLE characters. The only reason I gave this game any points was the co-op mode and probably the best looking jungle foliage I have ever seen (the big broad leafed plants look M-azing) and the sandbox elements are somewhat decent, and I still get a little scared every time I hear a tiger growl in the bushes or a bear growl, as they are as you would expect, extremely dangerous. The Breakdown:

STORY:-20/20:The story in this game is so bad I have to give it negative points, as it just makes no sense and you are reminded of it every time the main character speaks, and I agree with Vaas, hes a little chicken **** How it is Jason, and not the older brother who was chosen as a main character is beyond me. Someone should be fired over that. It is seriously the rotten core to a majestic oak of a game. GRAPHICS:20/20: The plats trees and shrubs look amazing. Light transitions are so wonderfully done I can feel my pupil dilating. Water is superbly done, with ripples on the surface looking and behaving realistically. The sun, sunrays, and reflections are some of the best I have ever seen and it runs wonderfully on a single 560ti and a 3820 @4.6 and 16 gigs ddr3quad 1866 on ultra settings 1920x1080.

GAMEPLAY: 5/20- Gunplay is fantastic, combat is fun, and enemies are only mildly retarded. The hunting mechanic is a nice diversion tho as soon as you get the extended pouches becomes completely irrelevant as you animal skins are worth less than a crumpled pack of smokes.

SOUND: 15/20: The sound is really good, and I normally only mention audio if its bad. The gun sounds in particular are extremely realistic and oh so enjoyable, and make me feel like I am shooting a gun and not a string of black cats(firecrackers) Distances are accurate and I get scared hearing a tiger growling in the bush Only points subtracted for the girlish nature of the main characters voice.

REPLAYABILITY: 0/20: As fun as the combat is, and as pretty as things look, I just do not see myself playing this game again if I even finish my first play-through. Side missions are incredibly repetitive, the story is just BAD, the main character is seriously the worst character ever, they should have just not had him talk at all. He literally killed this game for me and I really don't know if I will finish it once. TOTAL:20 out of 100. Final thoughts:I really have never been more shocked at any single gamplay element of a game more than the choice of a main character in farcry 3 and that is rally just the tip of the iceberg as far as completely illogical unbelievable story issues go. This really would have been an amazing game if it just had a better main character, but as bad as Jason is it ruined the game for me. My girlfriend walked in while I was skinning something and asked why he was saying eew (apparently hes a little chicken **** **** asked if he did that every time(unfortunately), and wrinkled her nose like she smelled something bad and said "really?", its that terrible. I just do not understand why....thank god crysis 3 looks incredibly promising, or I would have sold off every bit of Ubisoft stock I own and invested it in Bohemia Interactive, which I may do anyway, since they still make computer games for adults, rather than take the creative dump that is farcry 3 and try to sell it for 59.99 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME). Pre-packaged DLC should just be called "content", not "bonus material". I will never buy any game that has a pre order bonus that is "extra" ingame content, nor did I buy this one.
  29. Dec 4, 2012
    I wouldn't trust any review here below a 7. Skyrim with guns is an apt description of this game. I like the leveling mechanic, stealth killing a whole base is a good challenge, but it's the chaos of the world that makes the game come alive. I was stalking a base, tagging enemies when a freakin' tiger attacked the base. The enemy panicked and threw molotov's around, forcing me to escape aI wouldn't trust any review here below a 7. Skyrim with guns is an apt description of this game. I like the leveling mechanic, stealth killing a whole base is a good challenge, but it's the chaos of the world that makes the game come alive. I was stalking a base, tagging enemies when a freakin' tiger attacked the base. The enemy panicked and threw molotov's around, forcing me to escape a brush fire and approach the attack from a different angle. I very much enjoyed that moment. Climbing your first tower is awesome because the game looks incredible under ultra settings - my pc is about 2 years old too and the framerate is better than Skyrim on a whole. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2013
    I really liked the open world of Far Cry 3. Almost felt a bit like a MMORPG, if you didn't want to continue with the story, then you just played some challenges or took over some camps. Really nice.
  31. Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 3 has an epic story. What an amazing soundtrack. Far Cry 3 shows exactly how every game should start. This game make you care about the characters and of the story. The voice actors are simply amazing. What a performance! I did enjoy almost everything. There's only two things that I didn't like. One is that secondary quest feels really secondary. In fact, I didn't bother toFar Cry 3 has an epic story. What an amazing soundtrack. Far Cry 3 shows exactly how every game should start. This game make you care about the characters and of the story. The voice actors are simply amazing. What a performance! I did enjoy almost everything. There's only two things that I didn't like. One is that secondary quest feels really secondary. In fact, I didn't bother to finish them all. The minigames are cool but that's it, The second one is that I would like to feel the islands more like jungle with less valleys. It's definitely my game of the year! It's worth to be played! 9.5/10 Expand
  32. Dec 4, 2012
    Farcry 3 is the best FPS game of the year with a huge tropical island sandbox, nice weapons, animals and new assets to the series.

I'm playing the game since Nov. 29th and almost spent 20 hours on it. First thing I can say is it satisfies my expectations. A remarkable size of area to explore with different animals and people or enemies to engage with. Nice veriety of guns and customization. Well balanced skill tree due to game progression and the choises of the player. As well as the crafting and looting system. The radio towers gives the player a climbing challenge and chance to discover the island slowly. (not showing everything at a time) Not to ruin the suprises so that's good and pushing you forward. Also gives you a chance to catch up all the details. Beyond this, nice shooting experince and gameplay. Plus nice stleath mechanics and takedown combos combines well with the gunplay.

I've just finished unlucking the north island and still the game adds more guns, syringes, etc as you go forward so it's good. There's so much to do on the island beside the strory missions. I.e playing poker, shooting contests, side missions, delivering packages or hunting missions... etc. Huge veriety of animals and they are so live; hunting, eating, running or attacking... Also great characters with deep sence of personality and outsanding visual design. Any negativity with this game? Sure.. Some of the side missons or hunting missions are little boring. Going forward sometimes is frustration because of the topography and stairs. You sometimes get stuck when entering caves or doors. They are too narrow or on upper level. So you need to jump when entering a door. The island topography and pirates look the same and linear but not eyesore. Also it's the same when controlling the cars on this island. There are defenetaly visual glitches. You may sometimes see object mapping changes due to distance and misguide you. AI is good, your foes have some clever moves but it's not that challenging and predictable. Multiplayer? I haven't spend so much time on co-op and multiplayer but I couldn't get the enjoyment of the single player campaign when doing co-up or multipler. Online challanges are more like shooting the waves of foes.

As a conclusion: Nice satisfying gameplay with a huge area to explore and gives you freedom to approach each misson and other activities. Great RPG mechanics combined smoothly to a FPS game. Crafting, hunting and handling economy is fun, easy and not boring. The Island looks similar in everywhere but there are so much exploration places. And story goes exciting and interesting as well the story missions are challenging and pure fun. Even so much fun that the visual glitches or bugs can't ruin it. Fully recovers your money and time
  33. wdb
    Dec 4, 2012
    wtf. this game sucks right out of the box. what was ubisoft thinking? all they had to do was take farcry2 and add some new maps and story lines. wheres the system link? what about those of us who don't have high speed internet? we have been traped twice and had to reboot. i'm sure its filled with lots of bugs like that. it dosen't teturn to your last save. when a mission is completed allwtf. this game sucks right out of the box. what was ubisoft thinking? all they had to do was take farcry2 and add some new maps and story lines. wheres the system link? what about those of us who don't have high speed internet? we have been traped twice and had to reboot. i'm sure its filled with lots of bugs like that. it dosen't teturn to your last save. when a mission is completed all other enemy's disappears and you return to a safe spot unsure what happened. too much gagits not enough substance. Expand
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    An overrated commercial release. The story starts out great. However, it crosses slowly into ridiculous and ends up being an entirely idiotic scoff-fest. It is the story of a 19-year old american kid who never fired a gun or saw a man get killed in his life, who goes forth to become a guerilla warfare expert and the "chosen one" of an ancient tribe of warriors in a matter of days. TheyAn overrated commercial release. The story starts out great. However, it crosses slowly into ridiculous and ends up being an entirely idiotic scoff-fest. It is the story of a 19-year old american kid who never fired a gun or saw a man get killed in his life, who goes forth to become a guerilla warfare expert and the "chosen one" of an ancient tribe of warriors in a matter of days. They even stated it was supposed to be satirical, when it is actually a poor excuse of a story in a full-priced game. It has a bunch of interesting characters which have way too little time on-screen, and a bunch of other characters who are just bland and forgettable. Gameplay seems amazing at first, but after a couple of hours it just becomes repetitive and absurdly easy. The game's health system is easily manipulated with either stabbing yourself continuously with a syringe or digging out a bullet from your forearm for the 50th time. The stealth system in there is just a poor attempt at realism, as all enemies behave like they have Alzheimer's and cataract. Crafting any syringe other than the health one is more trouble than it's worth, and bag-making is just a ladder you will complete quickly. The game has some good voice acting and sound effects, and finally there is the graphics, which are the game's only saving grace. It gets a 3 for the graphics and for the poker and knife-throwing mini-games which end up being more fun than the main gameplay. Expand
  35. Jan 14, 2013
    There are two adjectives to sum up the overall experience of playing Far Cry 3: beautifully boring. Far Cry 3 is a lovely game to look at whilst playing, mostly. However it's performance suffers immensely due to the demanding graphics. I have other games in my inventory that look just as good as Far Cry 3 yet they yield a much more enjoyable performance from my desktop PC. This game isThere are two adjectives to sum up the overall experience of playing Far Cry 3: beautifully boring. Far Cry 3 is a lovely game to look at whilst playing, mostly. However it's performance suffers immensely due to the demanding graphics. I have other games in my inventory that look just as good as Far Cry 3 yet they yield a much more enjoyable performance from my desktop PC. This game is demanding on system specs and playing with full graphic settings requires a system that would likely be overkill even for the infamously demanding game titled ArmA. The game play is lousy. I have played many shooters and the worst one I have played to date is Kane & Lynch, the reason for bringing up that title is because Far Cry 3 feels like the horrendous shooter that Kane & Lynch turned out to be. When I buy a video game I always play it at its highest difficulty setting. Difficult does not exist in Far Cry 3. I finished the game, playing a few hours a day, in under a week. I like a challenging shooter that requires tact and finesse. Far Cry 3 is a lousy shooter. It is too easy to aim and noticed several times that my aim doesn't need to be true in order to get that head shot kill. Throughout the entire game I felt as if I were playing a shooter with a Nerf gun. The warring experience never felt legit or realistic and most of the time it feels like a cartoon. Furthermore the game is far too easy to play and even worse is that the AI is always predictable and boring and never provide any challenge. Don't even get me started with the mechanics of the AI! If you make some commotion near an enemy camp, even whilst well hidden from a vantage point, the AI always comes looking for you towards your general vicinity. They don't span out and scour the entire area around the camp to find you, they come directly to where you are hiding but even though they come straight for you they are often easily repelled and after five minutes the enemy camp is free and friendly AI start to spawn instantly. Do this over and over and over again. The aspect of freeing the island of enemy camps feels like a chore and the job quickly becomes boring and increasingly non-challenging. The story is the saddest part of Far Cry 3. Did a grade 6 student write this during his free time? Far Cry 3's storyline is absolutely appalling and lame. The cut scenes are impossible to skip which is incredibly frustrating because the story is weak and the voices are poorly acted, also the cut scenes are often way too lengthy. This game feels like a movie. If I want to watch scripted scenes I will watch a movie. I play video games for the challenging aspect that the game should provide. Far Cry 3 however provides no challenge with its game play. It is a mediocre shooter at best with clumsy controls that are not user friendly for the keyboard/mouse players. All this garbage and nonsense is all wrapped up in the beautiful scenery which efficiently camouflages the game's flaws. If you like a pretty video game. Go ahead. Far Cry 3 is for you. If you're a true gamer looking for a challenge, stay well away from Far Cry 3. This is one game that will be collecting dust on my shelf along with all the other games with poor re playability. Expand
  36. Dec 4, 2012
    Game of the year 2012, maybe 2013
    -massive island to explore
    -very high IQ of AI -funny to hunt animals, -great to watch lions, leopards or even dogs with rabies in actions against pigs, buffalos or local people:) -great weapons, super cool flamethrower , snakes will love it! -very playable on low end machine, old c2d , gtx275, dx9 , res 1600*900 all settings high, getting 30fps
    Game of the year 2012, maybe 2013
    -massive island to explore
    -very high IQ of AI
    -great weapons, super cool flamethrower , snakes will love it!
    -very playable on low end machine, old c2d , gtx275, dx9 , res 1600*900 all settings high, getting 30fps stable.
    -deers can commit suicide by jumping into waterfalls - they are so scared of lions
    -sharks omg go fish some! -graphics is fantastic all that perfect atmosphere, stealth, taking down enemies with silenced weapons or just a bow, they will limit their speech to" fock me, wtf was that" lol
    -i can continue with positives for more than hours. Better will be, go and play this game and see it by yourself.
  37. Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is one of the games you should not afford to miss. From beautiful tropical islands to thick jungles, Dunia Engine 2 may not be best looking but still worth to satisfy the cause.The plot of game has simple yet entertaining elements . Micheal as Vaas has done a phenomenal job,but you will still found a hell lot of insanity in the game . Gun system(without malfunction) now feel soFar Cry 3 is one of the games you should not afford to miss. From beautiful tropical islands to thick jungles, Dunia Engine 2 may not be best looking but still worth to satisfy the cause.The plot of game has simple yet entertaining elements . Micheal as Vaas has done a phenomenal job,but you will still found a hell lot of insanity in the game . Gun system(without malfunction) now feel so much fun and driving different range of vehicles always feel awesome. Though i didn't like Hunting-Skinning,Tower as well as its buying system , but there is soo much in campaign that you find it a perfect sequel of Far Cry 3 series Expand
  38. Dec 5, 2012
    This is most impressive game since long after skyrim.PC owners should have strong PC though.Atleast gtx 650+ or AMD 6670+ should be there or it will lag as hell,Because the graphics in this game is masterpiece,Gameplay is fun,campaign also agreeable..Everything it worths..this game is worth for every penny.The game developers did everything all right......since they knew what they areThis is most impressive game since long after skyrim.PC owners should have strong PC though.Atleast gtx 650+ or AMD 6670+ should be there or it will lag as hell,Because the graphics in this game is masterpiece,Gameplay is fun,campaign also agreeable..Everything it worths..this game is worth for every penny.The game developers did everything all right......since they knew what they are doing and what the gamers want. Expand
  39. Dec 5, 2012
    The people praising this game are right, there is "plenty of **** to do" here. If only that wasn't so literal. It's just as shallow a pretty sandbox as Far Cry 2 was. Good shooting mechanics, nice graphics. But while 2 was a decent shooter with unparalleled immersion-enhancing lack of HUD, this one at its hardest is Baby's First Shooter that adds all the boring **** that's wrong with gamesThe people praising this game are right, there is "plenty of **** to do" here. If only that wasn't so literal. It's just as shallow a pretty sandbox as Far Cry 2 was. Good shooting mechanics, nice graphics. But while 2 was a decent shooter with unparalleled immersion-enhancing lack of HUD, this one at its hardest is Baby's First Shooter that adds all the boring **** that's wrong with games nowadays.

There's several types of missions. Story missions are rather scripted, but contain some of the best and most elaborate fights against numerous enemies. Hunting is fun for about 10% of how long you're expected to do it. Tower climbing was sold as puzzles, but it's just climbing. No two towers are the same, that's true, but so far (11 hours in, 60% of map cleared) no thinking was required. Missions where you have to kill a specific guy with a knife tend to be rather good, but pose no real challenge. Driving missions are short and tend to be very easy. Missions in which you help the local populace are shallow fetch quests -- go a hundred meters to the east and kill three dogs, please, hero who liberated 75% of our island and killed hundreds of our enemies. Driving feels better than in 2, but racing and supply drop missions are way too easy, failed them just once or twice. Collecting plants is a chore, and it's not even necessary (seriously, you have a skill that heals four bars with no medicine necessary, just adjust the wrist and off you go).

The best part of the game is emergent gameplay, the weird interactions between the wildlife, enemies and friendlies, when you're on foot, setting traps to patrols and attacking strongholds. Also flying to a new location and exploring. Once you liberate a new place, the interesting part at that place is pretty much done.

The HUD, what's to say? Creeping to stab a guy in the neck, "HEY GO TALK TO BUCK" reminder dances in the corner. Real immersive, good job failing basic game design. I'd certainly forget about the main mission if it wasn't for your helpful and tastful reminders obscuring my vision. So thanks for that, Ubisoft Montreal.

It's too easy, like it was balanced and playtested only for playing with the gamepad. Hardest difficulty, I never use medicine, never buy armor and can take two or three outposts without refilling on bullets. There's never any real pressure, I die only if I'm messing around. The 3D marker + wallhack is ridiculous.

The second Far Cry was, in my opinion, great. I viewed it as Space Invaders, jump in and have some arcadey fun -- it was repetitive and shallow, but SO trim, only shooting and no fat anywhere. If FC3 was the second and FC2 was the third the critics would be all like "they distilled it to what matters" and "finally the ancillary RPG junk is gone" and "the UI is a stroke of genius, removing the minimap makes things so tense".

This game is like a kitchy dumb blockbuster consoly guilty pleasure. I couldn't put it down for about ten hours, but there was so much pointless grinding and the fights have gotten SO EASY, I could have just gone anywhere guns blazing, bombs exploding, bear cavalry clearing the way. I needed to set myself restrictions to have fun - weapon spotting and reticle off, never once using the camera, no fancy arrows, just molotovs and grenades, no armor. Still too easy, shouldn't have crafted so much ammunition pouches. Perhaps autoleveling enemies' weapons in FC2 was a good idea and it certainly had a better UI with the physical map and no text on screen. It's a far cry from the refined gameplay we were promised and all the junk they squeezed in there is grating. I also made a mistake of choosing skills that sounded useful, so I could move faster crouched, bring up iron sights faster, heal four bars without having any resource (!), reload while sprinting. Death is completely optional in this game. I think I'm going to play Stalker: CoP next, I can appreciate its dangers much more after the sterile kiddie playground of Far Cry 3.

The glowing reviews for this game seal my opinion that professional reviewers can't tell **** from shinola. I can't see anyone with a history of shooters playing FC3 for more than five hours and giving it such a high score. The tension and difficulty are simply gone.

Didn't mention the story. It's crap, but I expected crap and that's perfectly fine. It took a HUGE step back from the second one in this department as well - the Jackal tapes were masterpieces of videogame writing: http://farcry.wikia.com/wiki/Jackal_Tapes , while Vaas and the gang are plastic figurines of caricatures of tropes.

It's a stupid blockbuster that didn't manage to kill everything that was good about FC2, but comes damn near. The honeymoon lasts for some ten hours if you press on and disregard the stupid minigames and shallow sidequests, then it's ten more hours of boring grinding if you don't abandon it.
  40. Dec 4, 2012
    I really liked this game alot. It has great visuals and most importantly a fantastic story. This is one of the few games that has held my attention for quite some time. It has alot of the open fun that Crysis had along with one of the best boss fights i have ever seen.
  41. Dec 4, 2012
    I started the week playing Black Ops 2 and taking a break now and again. Then I bought far Cry 3 and thought it wouldn't be much good but in all honesty I haven't played Black Ops 2 since and my biggest, hugest problem with Far Cry 3 is putting it down!! I've never had a game so immersive e pull me in even though I resisted at the beginning and thought it was not much good but after theI started the week playing Black Ops 2 and taking a break now and again. Then I bought far Cry 3 and thought it wouldn't be much good but in all honesty I haven't played Black Ops 2 since and my biggest, hugest problem with Far Cry 3 is putting it down!! I've never had a game so immersive e pull me in even though I resisted at the beginning and thought it was not much good but after the initial initiation I have played it all day everyday and can't stop. The last game that had me so immersed but not as much was Far Cry 2 but this is enormous fun.

I had one mission where I was attempting to catch a base with two heavies which are very difficult to bring down. I scouted the area took some photos to keep my enemies in target on my radar and outg of the blue a tiger attacked the base and killed the two heavies. I finished off the other one AFTER he had so kindly eliminated the tiger for me and claimed the base thanks all to the tiger.

Far Cry 3 is addictive, immersive, pure fun and it will tie you to your chair and is game of the year as far as I'm concerned as well as being worth $100 entertainment value. To get such quality in a game is rare and whether you like stealth or all guns blazing you'll love Far Cry 3.

I' ve also had times when I was sneaking up on a camp and a wild animal was sneaking up on me and gorged me to death. Animals stalk you too and you need to hunt them to increase the size of your containers. It's such a real jungle where you can't just run through it without watching your back for a tiger or leapard or dog that will attack you.
  42. Dec 4, 2012
    Absolutely in love with this game. A huge, beautiful and great, living world with many of things to do besides the very well executed missions. While Ubisoft tried to make their previous installment Far Cry 2 immersive it almost went controversy and a little too realistic. Jamming guns, a lack of hud mode and an overall lack of gameplay features drive you away from the experience. In FarAbsolutely in love with this game. A huge, beautiful and great, living world with many of things to do besides the very well executed missions. While Ubisoft tried to make their previous installment Far Cry 2 immersive it almost went controversy and a little too realistic. Jamming guns, a lack of hud mode and an overall lack of gameplay features drive you away from the experience. In Far Cry 3, things have changed. With the new introduced RPG elements, abilities to craft and the ability to use stealth against your enemies, it actually became lots of fun to travel instead of frustrating. Far Cry 3 offers us what the openworld genre is supposed to offer, while the previous installment was good, it lacked many things that other openworld games had to offer. Besides the addictive singleplayer campaign, there's also a little uninspired, but yet so fun multiplayer with a huge map editor, allowing the people who love to be creative almost unlimited hours of fun. The 6 hour Coop is pretty interesting also, but i personally see much more potential in the Map editors sandbox mode, allowing you to put AI in your maps. Imagine if Ubisoft skipped this whole coop and made it possible for the player to create their OWN coop, each with it's own map and objective. This way, the AI would Ubisoft introduced us be where it really belongs to. Now Far Cry 3 isn't flawless, but offers so much fun and an almost unlimited amount of replay value, making it my personal Game Of The Year 2012. Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    In summary: fun to begin with, but a weak story, repetitive gameplay, weak AI, lack of challenge, very average multiplayer (too COD) and lack of replayability mean that for me this game is far from a classic.

While this game improves on many of its predecessor’s flaws (eg, no more constantly respawning outposts), in my opinion it doesn’t live up to the hype and almost universal praise it has been receiving. For all its pretensions the storyline is pretty weak/clichéd and the characters very one dimensional, though very well acted. And it effectively hits a cul-de-sac when you reach the 2nd island. Jason is supposed to be a green, ordinary guy (as we are constantly reminded), but within half-an-hour he is proficient in a range of firearms, explosives, using a bow, stealth killing, making drugs, etc. It doesn’t work as a story. I thought the relationship between Jason and Vaas was interesting, but it wasn’t developed enough. And how many times can Vaas kill you without watching, only for you to escape? And the final confrontation with Vaas was a big anti-climax. I also found the “choose an ending” contrived and uninteresting.

Yes it’s a truly open world shooter and the environments are well realised, yet there is little variation across the terrain. And while the graphics are mostly very good, the ambient occlusion looks horrible, some of the textures a little muddy and there is far too much use of blurring effects (especially the DOF). And I found a bit of variety in the quality of the sound effects.

The gameplay is fun to begin with but quickly gets repetitive, and by the 2nd island I was bored. The many outposts are far too similar, the pirates/privateers not particularly intelligent and too unvaried, the story missions are uninspired and the game is too easy.

I gave the multiplayer a few hours, but it’s fairly average and borrows heavily from COD without improving upon it.
  44. Dec 4, 2012
    Best game of this year, nuff said. And no, I'm not a fanboy. What can I say, it's a truly epic game with a great and intense story that is both dark and engagingly emotional. The graphics on consoles and on PC are both superb and one of the best looking game of this generation. Brian Tyler is the composer of the game's soundtrack, and to be honest, it's eargasmic. I love the soundtracks aBest game of this year, nuff said. And no, I'm not a fanboy. What can I say, it's a truly epic game with a great and intense story that is both dark and engagingly emotional. The graphics on consoles and on PC are both superb and one of the best looking game of this generation. Brian Tyler is the composer of the game's soundtrack, and to be honest, it's eargasmic. I love the soundtracks a lot and it also fits well with every scene. The gameplay is smooth compared to Far Cry 2. There's a lot of content and the map editor has seen some huge improvements! Expand
  45. Dec 5, 2012
    A very consolish game other may have already discussed in every detail. What irks me the most tho it's the genocide of every living thing in the island. I'm all for action but only when shooting and moving fast take place at the same time, something you can't do without vehicles. In far cry 3 the best you can get is onrail stuff and animal insides galore. Why didn't i pirate this s**t?
  46. Dec 4, 2012
    This is by far the best FarCry and probably one of the best PC games of the year (My other favorite is Dishonored)! Amazing graphics and a large free-to-roam world. The gun handling is good with lots of guns (many guns are revealed later in the game). The gun sights are a little bit fuzzy in terms of usability, better off sticking with just a red-dot sight. Very good storyline with goodThis is by far the best FarCry and probably one of the best PC games of the year (My other favorite is Dishonored)! Amazing graphics and a large free-to-roam world. The gun handling is good with lots of guns (many guns are revealed later in the game). The gun sights are a little bit fuzzy in terms of usability, better off sticking with just a red-dot sight. Very good storyline with good connections and twists. Stealth is a small problem in the game. You can snipe an enemy a mile away with a silencer in a bush on a mountain and the other enemies immediately know where you are... I mean, they should be alerted about a body, but not immediately shoot back in your direction... BACK ON AN ISLAND and a believeable story, unlike the second FarCry... and the first with too much weird Sci-Fi and monsters... Expand
  47. Dec 10, 2012
    I can not express how utterly disappointed I am with this game. It is a complete waste of time. First of all, it's far too easy to die and there's really no reward for staying alive except to circumvent respawning in some random location with an indeterminate amount of progress lost. It is literally impossible to figure out how much progress you've lost short of referencing how much ammoI can not express how utterly disappointed I am with this game. It is a complete waste of time. First of all, it's far too easy to die and there's really no reward for staying alive except to circumvent respawning in some random location with an indeterminate amount of progress lost. It is literally impossible to figure out how much progress you've lost short of referencing how much ammo you have when your last save loads compared to how much you had before you died. Second, the enemy AI is horrible. You can shoot them with a silenced rifle from 1000 yards and they will, in most cases, establish your exact position immediately. Third, after you upgrade all your bags from animal hides, animals cease to have a purpose other than ambushing you while you're trying to sneak up on the enemy. Fourth, I've actually lost missions and had to load a previous save because my AI controlled "allies" randomly showed up and killed the person I was supposed to assassinate. Fifth, there is only one active quest at a time. You are never allowed to pursue more than one goal at any given time and despite supposed "updates" the game will remind you of your current mission objective with a huge pop-up every two minutes. The list goes on and on. But these aren't minor things. These are game-breaking flaws that completely ruin the experience. It's like this game was play-tested, but never fun-tested. Expand
  48. Dec 4, 2012
    Came into this game rather reluctantly not expecting much, but boy was I surprised to find out that this is an awesome game. Firstly, the story, while not oscar worthy, is still fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the midst of tired, redundant modern military shooters. A FPS game with a compelling narrative for once? Yep, I'll take it. Gameplay is where this game truly shines. WellCame into this game rather reluctantly not expecting much, but boy was I surprised to find out that this is an awesome game. Firstly, the story, while not oscar worthy, is still fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the midst of tired, redundant modern military shooters. A FPS game with a compelling narrative for once? Yep, I'll take it. Gameplay is where this game truly shines. Well implemented RPG elements such as upgrading your character via hunting and skinning animals to create larger carrying wallets, bags, arrow quivers, etc., add to the immersion and give further incentive to continue playing. As far as shooting is concerned, each weapon feels different, and each one feels effective. So often in FPS games the core shooting mechanics are flawed, but fortunately, that isn't the case here. The game doesn't inhibit players, and you can easily skip the main missions and go exploring the island should you choose too. The sense of freedom is what really makes this an awesome experience. Expand
  49. Dec 5, 2012
    Honestly this game is a 4 at best, it is NOT skyrim with guns (whatever dimwit came up with that needs to be ended), or the best fps ever, or even very much fun. The user score on here disgusts me. So this is basically 3 games using 1 engine.. the story, the co-op, and the multi-player. The multiplayer is straight up garbage, theres alot of multiplayer FPS games that do it so much betterHonestly this game is a 4 at best, it is NOT skyrim with guns (whatever dimwit came up with that needs to be ended), or the best fps ever, or even very much fun. The user score on here disgusts me. So this is basically 3 games using 1 engine.. the story, the co-op, and the multi-player. The multiplayer is straight up garbage, theres alot of multiplayer FPS games that do it so much better than FC3 that it was kind of stupid to even waste $ developing it when they could have made the story or the co-op better (so that alone=NOT A 10!). The co-op is i guess ok IF you have 3 others to play with, but the structure is stupid and with less than 3 you are totally fighting an uphill battle (not FUN). It gets repetitive REAL fast and you find yourself asking "why not just play borderlands 2?" or any of the other games that AGAIN do it so much better. Again this was a waste of development $'s though if they had gone for a completely different feel (like dead island or borderlands) it could probably have been quite alot of fun. So right there thats 2/3 game modes that are garbage (and that means it cant even be a 7/10).

The story mode.. IS "ok". it looks nice (though i feel like it would bend over for rico to be as awesome as just cause 2) and the gameplay concept is good, it really is a handsome game. The mechanics are FILTH though! The crafting is just a system to make bigger storage containers for various munitions and some other things (arrows, heal potions, various combat buffs), its NOT like you can craft more than 1 bag or sell anything you have crafted though. The whole process of killing things and then looting their skins (or anything else really) is completely destroyed by the idiotic hit boxes that the carcasses have which means looting is NEVER fun! You mostly spend your time trying NOT to swap weapons that are laying on the ground NEXT to the body you are trying to loot, or trying to target the BEAR (yea.. a fkn bear carcass should ALWAYS be really hard to target..laying on the ground ...dead) to get his skin. You can sell the skins and plants you pick (hard core survivalists always run around picking flowers..) but there isnt really too much $ in it and until you craft a bigger bag its a real pain in the ass to carry such things around. The A.I. is probably about that of a deaf retard, I throw a rock 3 feet away it ignores it, i stare at them from in a bush they cant see me (even when i reload 2 feet away from them...) i have literally taken out entire outposts hiding in the same bush. If you dont like how your plan is going you can always run away (from outposts anyways, some of the instances obviously you cant) and come back later (after buying more ammo for your sniper rifle) and pick off the stragglers (provided you make it a point to shoot all the alarms. i think i was more afraid of the animals because of their unpredictability than i was the actual enemy soldiers.

The whole thing with shutting down towers to get guns was also a real dumb idea, step 1: deactivate every tower on the first island and then go claim all your free guns and upgrade them, step 2: repeat on second island. I can ALMOST buy it letting you have NEW guns, but why would they be free? and beyond that THE SIGNATURE GUNS MAKE ALL OTHERS GARBAGE ANYWAYS!

Positives, not gonna lie there are some. The characters are very interesting and have magnetic personalities... well the main ones, not all the red-shirts you mow down. There are alot of minigame type things to do (though most are pointless since you dont really need money for much aside from ammo) for...those people (the sad examples of "gamers" the game was obviously intended for). There is also something to be said in that i never got the "kill all the black people" feeling i got playing far cry 2. It runs fluidly on my system (which kind of tells you anyone who it DOESNT run smoothly for either doesnt have the hardware to be playing it to begin with or needs to get their drivers/redistributables in order) and looks nice, 3d support isnt great though.

Overall, again its a 5/10. 2 modes are crap and the remaining one should have a "games for retards" sticker on it (though it will no doubt appeal to the skyrim crowd.. skill-less, tasteless, wankers that they are). The only redeeming features are eye candy and a good cast of characters who are superbly voice acted (which is THE LAST THING I CARE ABOUT WHEN I BUY A FPS). Im glad i only paid 35$ for it, because anything more would be a ripoff.
  50. Jan 14, 2013
    After 14 hours of gameplay i have to say that this is the most over hyped game of the year 2012. At first it may seem that there are lots of things you can do in the game but in the end its just collecting materials to weapon slots, ammunition pouches etc. When you actually manage to get all upgrades to your items hunting loses its purpose completely. Enemy AI is ridiculous and they oftenAfter 14 hours of gameplay i have to say that this is the most over hyped game of the year 2012. At first it may seem that there are lots of things you can do in the game but in the end its just collecting materials to weapon slots, ammunition pouches etc. When you actually manage to get all upgrades to your items hunting loses its purpose completely. Enemy AI is ridiculous and they often make themselves visible out in the open fields and like that. I feel FarCry3 could have been done way better but now it just stays as mediocre FPS game. Expand
  51. Dec 7, 2012
    FarCry 3 has no sense of adventure. At all times the game tells you exactly where to go or where you can find items that you need for a quest. Best example: You enter a cave below the Doctors house where you are asked to find a motor part for a boat. Instead of letting you explore the cave by yourself the game tells you right away that the part is at the bottom of a small lake.

The game

The game is so easy it even tells you the exact position of all animals and plants that you need to collect inorder to survive.

The AI is mediocre. Its pretty easy to trick enemies even on the hardest difficulty. There is a huge delay, between the time when an enemy sees you until he actually attacks you. Its probably a delay for the handicapped console controls which were not adjusted for the PC.

I have played for 5 hours now and it feels like I have seen everyting already in the game.

To the devs: Stop making games for 12 year old xbox kids and finally male something thats fun and engaging to play.
  52. Dec 9, 2012
    As much I've looked forward to this game and tried to give it a chance, I am not enjoying Far Cry 3. Starting with the positive: the game looks good, the day light looks great and the environment is vast and rather varied. There seems to be a lot of missions and some of the action scenes are quite good fun.

However, this game is nowhere near the quality of other recent games such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (heavily quoted by the makers of Far Cry 3 as an influence on the game) or, say, Batman: Arkham City for the state-of-the-art action gameplay. Instead, Far Cry 3 delivers a 'deja-vu' experience, peppered with some novelties (wild animals interactions, distractions, etc.). The AI isn't bad but attacking a guard post is an extremely similar experience to Far Cry 2. There are some graphical glitches which also tend to break the immersion at regular intervals.

But above all, it's the evident lack of taste in Far Cry 3 that's the most disappointing. You would think the developpers would have tried and topped Far Cry 2's overly simplistic, borderline racist plot line. Well, no they haven't. The story in Far Cry 3 is laughable, I cannot believe a single second of it. Dialogues are poorly written and acted out, nothing makes sense, the characters aren't at all three-dimensional. Everything goes too fast, it's shortcut after shortcut. People just send you on random erranands as if no-one else in the world was capable of blowing that ammunition depot. The vilain is a vilain because he is bad and that's what he does (being bad). You play the young white American who's turning into this unexpected master of violence to save your friends who are being held captive for some obscure reason. If you've enjoyed the intricate plot lines of the likes of LA Noire, Dishonnered or Skyrim, then you'll laugh your head off at Far Cry 3's lame attempt at a story.

Many elements of gameplay also break the illusion and ruin a good part of the fun: Jason walks super-fast. Running or swimming will remind you of the speed mode of Crysis 1's Nanosuit. Also, looting is badly designed: you can't choose what you loot from bodies, and therefore end up carrying all sorts of crap which you don't need or want. Emptying your inventory of this crap is the most tedious task - you'll haveto point-and-click 4 times per item you wish to remove. And that's something you have to do all the time. Also if you're hoping to enjoy visiting the island like you did in Crysis 1 or like you would explore your surroundings in GTA, think again. You can't lower your weapon, which means that when you're just looking at the landscape or plucking medicinal plants, you'll have to do that which a machine gun in front of your face. You can't walk slowly either, which is particularly ridiculous when people go 'follow me' and you have to try and stay behind them although they can walk but you can only run.

In short, Far Cry 3 is yet another shooter with a dreadful story (other reviewers have called 'offensive' and I can really see why). It will please immature players who just want to look at candy and run over tigers in a jeep, but if you're looking for a rich and intelligent gaming experience, save your money.
  53. Feb 5, 2013
    I remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. II remember seeing the first game trailer early on in 2012. Not playing any of the Far Cry games before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Being advertised as, "Skyrim with Guns", I decided to buy it, not sure of its plot or story. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exploration of the islands through radio tower and outpost checkpoints gave me things to do besides the main quest. I felt obligated to find every Totem and every Letter to deepen the experience. The story itself is just a side thought from when I am not exploring or gathering materials for bigger ammo cases or wallets. Overall, this game provides many things to do, depending on what the player is feeling. Definitely a good buy. Expand
  54. Dec 28, 2012
    Simply amazing. Great storyline, everything made sense, graphics and visuals are stunning. AI can be challenging and the physics are great. Well worth the $50.
  55. Dec 5, 2012
    I don't know why some people saying bad things about this game but after playing 50% of the game this is an excellent game.Water graphics could have been better but other than that ,this is a gorgeous game.

Graphics=10
    Story=6 (hated the protagonist)
    Control=9
    Sandbox game play=10
    Sound=8

Please play the game actually then criticize .
  56. Dec 5, 2012
    I know the game just came out and I've only played for a few hours now, but this game is simply stunning to look at and blew me away from the start! It is a strong contender for my game of the year already and may be the most richly detailed and beautiful game I've ever seen. It has a grisly beginning that sets the tone of the game and makes you feel like you are definitely outnumbered andI know the game just came out and I've only played for a few hours now, but this game is simply stunning to look at and blew me away from the start! It is a strong contender for my game of the year already and may be the most richly detailed and beautiful game I've ever seen. It has a grisly beginning that sets the tone of the game and makes you feel like you are definitely outnumbered and out of your element. Your character has never seen anyone killed, much less used a gun! The island is completely open to explore and the random encounters with animals etc. are really cool and make it feel like a real world where anything can happen at any time. I was swimming in a creek to gather a plant at the bottom and got attacked by a crocodile out of nowhere and couldn't fight it off, I died. The enemies in the game are not the dumbest AI I've ever seen, but also not special forces. I think they react pretty well to what happens around them but can do some random things. The PC version is far and away the best one to get if you have a nice gaming machine. I am using an Alienware M17x with i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, and Nvidia G-Force GTX 580 graphics card. I turned the graphical settings to ultra and 8x anti-aliasing on. It is also DirectX 11 enabled. I have to say that no game I have, even Crysis 2 and Rage, look this good! Expand
  57. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bellissimo uno dei giochi più belli a cui abbia mai giocato!! La storia come le missioni divertenti, e tutto il mondo intorno è vivo e bello da vedere, sopratutto su un pc con alte performance.
    Il multiplayer non è eccezionale e la campagna è un po' corta dato che non riesci a smetterci di giocare :).
    Un must have per tutti, sopratutto per chi possiede un bel pc, dato che c sono paesaggi da mozzare il fiato
  58. Feb 18, 2013
    I've played both far cry 1 and 2 and I can honestly say that the third installment to the series is probably the weakest. The first game was way ahead of it's time and I played that game for years. The second game was a mixed bag. It had some components to it that were a first for the genre like pulling bullets out of your body and having to fix your gun from being jammed to having toI've played both far cry 1 and 2 and I can honestly say that the third installment to the series is probably the weakest. The first game was way ahead of it's time and I played that game for years. The second game was a mixed bag. It had some components to it that were a first for the genre like pulling bullets out of your body and having to fix your gun from being jammed to having to fix your broken down vehicle. The little things are what make or break a game imo, things like looking down and actually being able to see your feet or when you reach for something you see your hand extend and you pick it up or turn the handle. I can't stand it when things just teleport into my inventory or doors magically open. These are easy things to fix and they immerse you into the game. Unfortunately far cry 2's AI was some of the worst I have ever seen in a game. The graphics and fire were amazing, but only a couple of things kept the game from being one of the best FPS's of all time; bad AI and having to travel for miles and miles. I was hoping that Far Cry 3 would take the best things from both games and make a masterpiece. WRONG. The story isn't bad, but it's hard to really immerse yourself into the game, wanting to be like Rambo, when you are in control of a whimpy, whinny little teenage kid. The fact that right away the Island dwellers want you to save their homeland and you simply agree to it is ridiculous, not to mention they want you to do all the work! My most anticipated part of the whole game was the hunting aspect because when I played Crysis 1 I absolutely love hunting the enemy in the jungle. In Far Cry 3, the possibility of being attacked by a shark swimming to your boat or getting eaten by an alligator or tiger is pretty cool, but it wears off pretty quickly when you have to do it just to make bigger holsters for weapons and ammo all the time. Sorry but I don't want to go hunt some stupid goat or pig just to see some horribly inaccurate stab animation with a knife and pull out its organs. At least make the animation realistic. The menus, while not terrible, are far from the best I have used. Something really annoying is that I spent a good half hour trying to figure out how to make explosive tip arrows, finally just giving up and googling it to find out that they are just magically accessible once you get so far into the main story. It would have been nice to have that explained in the weapons info page. I got to hang glide, but that was surprisingly boring. Not much to see really and no point in doing it. There are like fifty different ways to get somewhere and hang gliding as slow as molasses is not my cup of tea. The graphics are a huge disappointment. When you zoom in with your camera, you can see pop in and textures that are all out of place. I maxed out the video settings, but why put my pc through that when I can play at lower settings and see pretty much zero difference? Glad they put in all those settings...too bad they don't do anything relevant aside from bogging down your system. Console port for sure. Btw, I would like to know where to buy one of those amazing cameras that can somehow track enemies and animals in real time. Pretty amazing. Amazingly dumb that is. If you want to just shoot guns you're in for a real treat because getting all of them is as easy as pie. Just climb all the radio towers and they become free in all the stores. Lame'o. About the fifth mission in, they tell you to explore the island, which I did, and by the time I started my next mission, I was so over powered that it was a cake walk clearing out enemy encampments. I mean seriously, what is the point of exploring an island when everything is already displayed on your map? I have no incentive to keep playing this game because everything is handed over on a silver platter. Btw, Uplay is extremely annoying. I was without internet for like two weeks and it became readily apparent that without internet this game is pretty much unplayable. Like steam, you have to log on in order to log off to play offline. We need a better solution people. All in all, this game is a huge disappointment. This games biggest flaw is that after about three hours of playtime, you really have no reason to continue, aside from the lame story that is. An open world sandbox game should be more fun than this. In a nutshell, this game is just plain boring. Expand
  59. Jan 27, 2013
    Underwhelming and over hyped. Once the world opens up to you, the game becomes a series of tedious exercises in collecting plants and animal hides to work around the ridiculous caps on money, ammo, and equipment the game saddles you with. Worst part about the crafting system is the specificity of materials required for a given upgrade. For example, collect two hides of species X for theUnderwhelming and over hyped. Once the world opens up to you, the game becomes a series of tedious exercises in collecting plants and animal hides to work around the ridiculous caps on money, ammo, and equipment the game saddles you with. Worst part about the crafting system is the specificity of materials required for a given upgrade. For example, collect two hides of species X for the first upgrade. Congratulations! Next, collect two hides of species Y who is only found on the other side of the **** island! Why does the same item require leather from a specific sub species of tapir when boar hide was good enough for the first upgrade? The map doesn't tell you which animal icons are what animal, so most of the time it's blind luck you're after the right one. The side missions are silly mini games that undercut the atmosphere of gritty survival the game attempts to conjure. Much like Far Cry 2, stealth sucks because enemies instantly know where your position is even when using a silenced sniper rifle. The story is terrible and I could give two **** about the main character and his obnoxious friends. I'm tired of open world games that craft a visually stunning world with the promise of exploration and adventure only to populate it with tantalizing caves and abandoned buildings whose only point of interest turn out to be a wooden crate with a shark tooth necklace and absurdly repetitive side missions/farming tasks. Also, no predatory cat should be able to withstand half a magazine 7.62 rounds from an AK-47 when it takes two rounds to down a human NPC. It's like Red Dead Redemption's cougars all over again. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2012
    The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it,The game starts off amazingly, and sets a tone that wows you and makes you feel like it'll carry on until the very end. Sadly, this only lasts until a quarter of the way through, when the narrative just becomes ludicrous and sloppy, and has you questioning whether or not the writers were also kidnapped alongside your friends. And since all of the mayhem, and the reason for inflicting it, is carried by the story, this is a major eyesore in what is otherwise a very fun, and intense open-world game. I won't spoil anything for you, but let's just say there were many times where I had to just turn my brain off and force myself not to think about what just happened. The characters, and much of the voice acting, however, are top notch. I could write more about the game here, but long Metacritic user reviews look like crap and nobody wants to read a wall of text. So should you play this game? Yes. Absolutely. Just make sure you don't think too hard about it, and also make sure you crank the difficulty all the way, because the game is far too easy even on the highest difficulty. Like a Michael Bay film, Far Cry 3 isn't going to win your heart and stimulate you intellectually, but with the right hardware and a bag of popcorn, it's still a pretty darn good time. And damn if it doesn't have one of the greatest intros to a shooter I've played. Expand
  61. Dec 4, 2012
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10: The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10:
    The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit to long.
    The AI is acceptable, sometimes it feels like it is tracking you to well and sometimes but often it it just stupid enough for you to have fun trying to trick it.
    There are a fair amount of weapon types and while most of the guns feel very similar there are still enough variation and ability to equip different sights, attachments and colors that it feels satisfying.
    However there are some strange bugs with weapons that have extended clips that they are never full up on ammo when you get them from the shop and this is where the RPG element shows it's ugly head.

The RPG - 4/10:
    You can level up, craft items and larger bags to carry stuff in, problem is that you unlock the skills by progressing the story and you earn so much xp that you will always have skill points hanging around waiting for you to do more story missions. So why they don't automatically unlock these new ability when you progress is a mystery to me. This is doubled by that the keyboard and mouse controls in the menus are really clunky.
    The crafting is also under developed you will have crafted all the pouches you can when you are a quoter way into the game and after that skinning animals is pointless and you try to avoid all animals in the world. You can still craft syringes that can help you in various ways however i played the game on hard and never used anything other than the healing syringe that you start with.
    The looting of enemies is also a bit of a downer, you only get money and on the rare occasion some ammo or grenades, but nothing that really feels worth your time and while it is fun to unlock new weapons and attachments for the weapons once you have unlocked all the mechanic falls completely flat and there aren't enough signature weapons (unique weapons you buy that have attachments combinations and colors that the normal unlocked ones don't have) to keep you going.
    The health system is a bit strange, you regenerate partially depleted health bars automatically but not empty ones and you take so much falling damage that while exploring you will lose a bar now and then, the only way to regain that health is to use a health syringe or if you are out of those you can use your healing skill, however since you don't want to waste healing syringes you will end up playing 90% of the game with 1 or 2 bars of health missing.

The Adventure game - 8/10:
    The most fun part of the game is roaming around the beautiful island, unlocking GPS towers and camps are a lot of fun and provide a nice challenge, problem is that once you have unlocked all towers and camps there are basically no enemies left in the world and everything but the story feels pointless. However it will take you some time to do this so it is a minor problem.
    The main character is annoying but the story is good and you will meet some very enjoyable characters along the way. I do however feel that they have taken a step back from FC2 in not letting you chose your character, it would have been nice if there was a choice to play as either a male or female lead and this could easily have been integrated into the story.
    Also the Checkpoint/Save system is a bit weird sometimes working well and at other times not as much, I thought FC2 did the adventure save system better with your friend showing up to save you.

Conclusion:
    It is a good game, while I do miss the red Hawaiian shirt I did still have fun with this game and I do look forward to Far Cry 4.

P.S Ubisoft FFS get rid of the !#%& Uplay, I hate this stupid thing, what was so bad about FC2 system? Install and play and if you choose to go online you needed a CD-key, that was a perfect system!
  62. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can be said about this game that has not already been said? It has pleasant graphics and allows you the ability to explore a world. Doing side quests are actually beneficial, such as activating radio towers to unlock weapons for free. Also the atmosphere in the game is great.

Unfortunately, the flaws are glaring. Looting seems to be affected by placement often. Good luck skinning that animal as it slowly rolls downhill. Special takedowns seem to be random at times. While the game offers rewards for being stealthy, it often seems the rewards are a pittance. A little extra experience for being silent, great. Perhaps the main reason to bother with stealth is you will likely die if you do not.

The plot overall is good with interesting twists. Some predictable, some unexpected. The development of relationships with jason and other characters is quite poor. In fact, it's atrocious. The biographies lend some help, but there is still quite the gap between wanting to save your friends and then wanting to kill them all after you just ran around the island risking your life to find your little brother.

Even worse are the endings. Maybe the same group of people are writing the endings to big franchise games lately. If so, they should be fired with extreme prejudice. While the endings in this game aren't nearly as bad as say mass effect 3, they are still slipshod at best. If you choose to save your friends, citra goes on about loving you and ends up dead. Then you get a monologue about jason realising he has become a monster but knowing he is something better. Nothing from your friends. Nothing from Liza, the woman you had up until recently cared significantly for.

If you choose to stay with citra, your friends die, including your little brother who you just risked your life over several times (and even lost a finger) to save. It gets better. Then you have sex with her and she kills you out of "love." I'll admit my culture and world view may be different, but I don't invoke "love" as a reason I kill someone.

The bottom line from me is this game offers some good things but is largely hindered by its own story plot. I found myself indifferent to the menu. Overall, I found myself asking questions that had no answers.
  63. Dec 6, 2012
    Game play is generic and not that different than competitors IE Deus Ex. The ending of the story (both) is (are) abominable. Race and societal issues are dealt with carelessly and it shows. Quests are extremely repetitive, very little world change other than instant-bad-guy-vanishing once capturing an outpost. Player has no choice in the story and when they do, they are forced into a falseGame play is generic and not that different than competitors IE Deus Ex. The ending of the story (both) is (are) abominable. Race and societal issues are dealt with carelessly and it shows. Quests are extremely repetitive, very little world change other than instant-bad-guy-vanishing once capturing an outpost. Player has no choice in the story and when they do, they are forced into a false dichotomy and deux-ex-machina twists that are just pointless. Because they have nothing better to say they just do knee-jerk twists that end up with a knife in somebody's throat, this happened like 4 times. It often quotes Alice in Wonderland but it fails to capture the actual message of Alice in Wonderland by falsely creating two archetypes for a character, that is, mad jungle-man and respectable civilized man that the character is pushed into without their consent. Mediocre at best, terrible at worst. Expand
  64. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game does one thing well: illustrates the corruption in the next generation of so-called game reviewers- the ones who grew up doing this instead of being accomplished in other things who reviewed games on the side. Considering how bad farcry 2 was and how 3 simply expanded upon this 'badness,' I was amazed to read what was a lucy in the sky with diamonds series of reviews of this game.
    Plot unengaging & full of racial stereotypes (from great white hunter to evil black men thugs/pirates, but amusingly all the mercenaries are whitish) where the open world rules only apply to running around skinning animals and finding trinkets. Each actual mission to progress the story line, if you look at level design forces you to play it linearly. I guess someone had read King Solomon's mines and decided to rip off the idea of, 'Africa will not let me die,' concept and apply it to the great white hype that is Jason Brody. The rapid transition from worthless vacation yuppie to immediately perfectly aiming skills, deftly dispatching island warriors is implausible - even if the fear of boring the target audience pushes the game in this direction. The scenes of love making are not love making, it is rape. You are being raped by Citra while intoxicated on magic juice- this in itself should raise red flags.
    The butchery nonsensically of animals is pitiful and teaches only wastefulness to the young gamer- and it gives no real knowledge of how much work is involved in crafting items from animal hide- at least simply bring it to a native to do it for you...
    There should have been a stricter age restriction on this game for language, sex, nudity wanton violence, grey characters with no real sense of good or evil, simply self-serving motivations. Self regulation is not this industry's strong suit, but if you hand over to young minded people the ability to ambivalently murder villagers, the Rakyat (useless savages) and the pirates/mercenaries and then glorify the concept of revenge and celebrate tattooing your body parts as a sign of culture- then you have made your target audience dumber and even more morally ambiguous.

The ending, if you choose to save your friends, has a lie for a statement - again self serving- Jason Brody is given a blank check for all the evil he has done by justifying it by saying he is still good inside- allegory...

There is one saving grace- you can build up your character without even doing a single mission, then fly through the whole game- just go rescue all outposts, radio towers, do those side missions quickly, then run around with a flamethrower, grenade launcher, lmg and smg. You will be unstoppable.

AI: the game designers need to go back and review far cry 1, fear 1, half life 1, system shock 2- and start from scratch- far cry 3, with its 'open world' characters (there are only like, 5 models of natives, 3 of pirates, and so on- yay open world, surrounded by a group of the same faces forever) seems to be thwarted by the most inconvenient of obstacles- walls. A wall and you and the enemy is stopped cold. Either they pull cover right in front of you, get stuck inside a building, or run out in the open firing randomly at you on the hardest difficulty and this is to be assumed great game play...
  65. Dec 25, 2012
    Another overpriced dumbed-down console shooter. About 75% of the spoken dialogue happens to be the word **** I can't imagine how I could be so dumb to pay 60$ for this idiotic piece of society-stultification. As the game market left the PC behind, it also left class and intelligence behind.
  66. Feb 16, 2013
    Unlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungleUnlike many of my friends, I enjoyed Far Cry 2. What a brilliant shift from the first game into an environment we hardly see in gaming in Africa. Now, yes I am aware that I am reviewing Far Cry 3. I just want you the reader to be aware of my experience with Far Cry 2 first. FC3 however, unlike FC2 was a disappointment to me. Yes the world looks fantastic and the return to the island jungle is a welcome one. But FC3 was just too dull for me. It felt exactly like FC2 only with a brighter sun and surf on my doorstep. Oh an not having malaria this time is always a delight in gaming.

The story is interesting, Vas is crazy and I must save my moron friends. That works fine in this island paradise. But while on this journey of the mind and sole of my character I grew to, well, there is no easy way to say this hate myself. Not in reality, but within the game. Why, you may ask? Simple, unlike Gordon Freeman, he speaks and what he has to say is of no value and often takes the words out of my mouth before I get to say anything in reality. This happens when I enter a cave or put out an arm fire. He just chimes in and says the obvious. Things like "wow, what a cave amazing place". Yes Jason, we get it.

Me aside, the game world offers very little as far as open world games go. Radio tower scouts, hunting, driving to kill people, you name it. All those dull things just didn't carry any real value to me other than building bigger wallets to buy slightly better weapons once in a while. The camera is also useless as I found I couldn't bring it out to take wonderful screenshots of this oceanic paradise. Why not?! I did enjoy taking over locations. This is something that the game developers have done with such a simple fineness that makes them enjoyable. The main story is not too bad either and worth a good play-through at least once. But if I play through it again, the game would need to be patched to remove any dialogue from my character, he is just so full of um... Solid game, but not as good as it could be. 7/10.
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, this game SHOULD have been a 10/10, but is still an amazing game. Although not horrible, it is still an obvious port with an uncomfortable menu that switches control schemes between each option. Also, the boss battles or confrontations with high profile characters seemed extremely unfinished and rushed. Despite that the game is still phenomenal and a must buy for any gamer.First of all, this game SHOULD have been a 10/10, but is still an amazing game. Although not horrible, it is still an obvious port with an uncomfortable menu that switches control schemes between each option. Also, the boss battles or confrontations with high profile characters seemed extremely unfinished and rushed. Despite that the game is still phenomenal and a must buy for any gamer.
    However, the "Skyrim with Guns" claim is horribly inaccurate. Maybe Skyrim without 99% of the NPC interaction. Far Cry is not an RPG. It is an exploratory/adventure game at the most.
  68. Dec 7, 2012
    An unfortunate let down. The game is way to easy on the hardest difficult setting. Right when I thought it might get more difficult it stays practically the same throughout. "Quests" are very repetitive. Find guy, kill him. Find animal, kill it. Get medical package to location. Race against clock. That's about it. No story in quests. The reviews for the game give it so much praise but I'mAn unfortunate let down. The game is way to easy on the hardest difficult setting. Right when I thought it might get more difficult it stays practically the same throughout. "Quests" are very repetitive. Find guy, kill him. Find animal, kill it. Get medical package to location. Race against clock. That's about it. No story in quests. The reviews for the game give it so much praise but I'm baffled as to why. I really tried to like this game but even the protagonist is a pain. Half the time I wanted to kill the people I was trying to save. Why would I want to save a bunch of snot nosed American kids that only care about themselves? However, besides the kids I'm trying to save the story is decent. Overall, the game is amazing if you're not use to FPS or RPG. But other then that it's a let down.

IMPORTANT: This game is pretty racist. The good guys have Australian (white) accents while the bad guys have African accents. Shame on Ubisoft for doing that.
  69. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Some spoilers*: POINT ONE: Ubisoft, the grand masters of screwing legitimate buyers with stupid DRM force you to install "Uplay". It's another crappy attempt at selling their games direct. Who knows what it steals from your PC (thanks Origin). It also doesn't really work with Steam. You have to access the game through Steam, but it's not visible in Uplay if you launch it by itself.
    POINT TWO: This game has been out for almost a week, but Metacritic kept claiming there were 4 days til release. I can only assume that's either a tactic to bump up the (always) ridiculously high "professional" critic reviews, or the people running this website don't know what they're doing.
    POINT TWO: Remember Far Cry 2, and how annoying it was? Like the endlessly re-spawning enemies at roadside shanties? The guns that broke in half? The myriad pointless assassination missions? The fact that is was endlessly boring after a while? The malaria? Well, Far Cry 3 is Far Cry 2 with most of the annoying parts removed and set in a tropical paradise. That's not a bad thing, but it's also nothing particularly special. We've already seen it before. The engine is the same, the graphics are largely the same, the gameplay is largely the same. It's good, but not great. They obviously listened to everyone griping, and just re-wrote the same game. There's hang gliders everywhere, guns that don't break, stupid AI and no malaria. Okay, so the AI is lame in both games, but that's how it is these days.
    POINT THREE: The story is much more prominent, but very cheesy and lite. So cheesy, in fact, that it's laughable at some points. Some user reviewer here said the story had them in tears! Bwah hah hah hah! But seriously, there's mystic powers, a magical self-inking tattoo and islanders with strong New Zealand accents. The nerds who wrote the story for this game are spotty freaks who, well, can't write a story worth a damn.
    POINT FOUR: It's easy. I mean _very_ easy. There's all this RPG-style stuff going on in the background, like learning new skills, collecting things to make stuff, but it's all unnecessary. I mean _completely_ unnecessary. Some things might be handy, like making a holster from wild goats to carry more guns, but you get decent guns everywhere, so why bother? You can also make syringes of medicine, but I've never needed them. Since you don't need any of it to play the game, what's the point?
    POINT FIVE: The driving is hectic. Sometimes a little too fast and overly-responsive, and every car seems to spin out as soon as you press the button that controls the pedal (if you get what I mean). POINT SIX: Some fun side-quests: "trials" where you kill as many baddies as you can in an allotted amount of time, hunt down animals, hunt down baddies, deliver medical supplies etc. POINT SEVEN: The graphics are okay, but basically the same as Far Cry 2. There are some neat vistas to look at, but they're not as epic as Far Cry 2. There was something about the African savanna that tweaked my noodle. A tropical island is overdone. If only they had released a patch for Far Cry 2 that took out all the crap parts and made it a great game. Oh, wait, Far Cry 3 graphics. Right. yeah, they're okay. Intense colours, nice water effects, black shadows around all the NPCs. DX11 lighting effects and all the rocks shine.
    CONCLUSION: It's pretty good as a game and it's growing on me. It will keep you entertained for a while, but it's not what the hype says (it never is). Re-playability looks pretty good. My disappointment is more due to the fact that it's just a remake of Far Cry 2, which means we've seen this all before. Nothing innovative, a lame story and the horrible, unnecessary Uplay application from Ubisoft that you are forced to install. Besides that, people have claimed on the Steam forums that the game is an "amazing experience". No, it's not. Watching the sun rise in Turkey while on a backpacking holiday is an amazing experience. Skydiving is an amazing experience. Having a new-born child is an amazing experience. This is a computer game. Big difference. Having said that, there is fun to be had, and it's not a bad way to waste $70 and hours of your life.
  70. Dec 7, 2012
    Too boring. Too long for line shooter, too same for open world. RPG elements looks like dogs fifth leg. Storyline - nothing to talk about. And very bad perfomance - so again waiting for patches.
  71. Dec 23, 2012
    Another prime example of mass produced casual garbage. That's what happens when you start producing games assembly line style. Games aren't shoes or tv's, a good game requires more than just putting pieces together in the same way that good music is made up of more than just sounds. Yes, technically music is just sounds, yet without vision and creativity that's also all it will ever be.Another prime example of mass produced casual garbage. That's what happens when you start producing games assembly line style. Games aren't shoes or tv's, a good game requires more than just putting pieces together in the same way that good music is made up of more than just sounds. Yes, technically music is just sounds, yet without vision and creativity that's also all it will ever be. Far Cry 3 is just a compilation of things and ideas that were copied and stolen from elsewhere thrown together, it lack's both creativity and vision and it shows at every corner. Far Cry 3 isn't an immersive masterpiece full of wonder, it's a compilation of mini games placed on the least immersive island ever conceived in video game history. It offers not even the slightest illusion of being a real place with real people. Everywhere is blinking crap and money lying around. Each 20 people village got a weapon dealer, and cars are waiting at every corner for a new owner. And the least immersive thing of them all, the blinking weapons and ammunition vendor machine! Yes, you heard me right, a weapons and ammunition vendor machine that even blinks! Holy crap! That thing beats it all, I don't believe I ever saw something more immersion breaking in a video game than this blinking vendor machine! So there we are, the least immsive island in video history and a complete lack of creativity and vision. And it gets even worse. Yes, surprisingly, it's still possible to get worse! I'm talking about Ubi and their desire to make games more accessible. For those who don't know already, accessible when it comes to game design usually means that anyone without any skill or even a working brain should be able to play it without difficulty. And that at least they managed, it's so easy and simplified that anyone not fully brain dead yet should take care not to play for prolonged periods of time or their brains might really die out of boredom. All in all, it's a prime example of mass produced casual garbage. Just what I expected from Ubi. Expand
  72. Dec 20, 2012
    The first 2 hours I played this game I thought it could be pretty good. I wanted to be able to carry more items, so I decided to start it by crafting some bags. As it turns out, I only needed to kill 4 of each animal to craft everything, so animals become useless pretty early. While I was doing that, every 2 minutes or so, a pop up shows up in the upper left corner reminding me of theThe first 2 hours I played this game I thought it could be pretty good. I wanted to be able to carry more items, so I decided to start it by crafting some bags. As it turns out, I only needed to kill 4 of each animal to craft everything, so animals become useless pretty early. While I was doing that, every 2 minutes or so, a pop up shows up in the upper left corner reminding me of the quest I could be doing. Its like the game believes I forgot what I should do instead of letting me play it however I want to. Trying to ignore that, I proceed by climbing some radio towers to unlock the map. After climbing 4 towers, I have a free light machine gun, sniper rifle, flamethrower waiting for me at every item shop. Also, I can heal myself whenever I want.
    The enemy pirates (all dressed in red so you dont confuse them with the good guys, which wear blue) dont stand a chance. Having played 2 and a half, maybe 3 hours of the game, I dont see why I should keep playing. I already have way too strong weapons, crafted everything I needed (Im lacking some hunter path items or something, but I have enough capacity as it is) and the unlockable skills dont look very interesting. I mean, why would I care for reloading 25% faster when the game is really easy as it it? I dont know, the idea of being a survivor in a dangerous island had potential, but for me it is ruined by having huge weapons from the start, ammo and money everywhere, the ability to heal to full health by cracking my thumb, useless wild life, lame AI (they dont spot you unless you let them see you for 10 seconds or so, and if you block their line of sight before that, its like nothing happened.), boring characters and repetitive gameplay. I wanted to like this, maybe try again with the survivor idea?
  73. Dec 17, 2012
    This game was an absolute pleasure to play through; the gameplay was fluid and the skirmish style gameplay of the jungle/brush fighting brings innovation to standard cover based shooters. It makes a change fighting from bush to bush rather than from chest high sandbags to chest high concrete blocks. The only thing i will say is that the ending is a little abrupt. Judging by the map youThis game was an absolute pleasure to play through; the gameplay was fluid and the skirmish style gameplay of the jungle/brush fighting brings innovation to standard cover based shooters. It makes a change fighting from bush to bush rather than from chest high sandbags to chest high concrete blocks. The only thing i will say is that the ending is a little abrupt. Judging by the map you feel that it's safe to assume that reaching the second island equates to the half way mark in the game, but you'd be wrong. I completed the game before even finding out whether the second island out posts were even capturable; the map hints suggest that they are as they are presented the same on the map as the capturable outposts on the first island, despite the fact that the ingame dialogue suggests you avoid them at all costs. Suddenly all notion of the sandbox leaves the game and all those cool toys you get unlocked and are happy to use only seem to come into play for 3-4 more missions even though they're nothing particularly out of this world; so all the neat gadget-attatchments you were happy to discover and utilise also, for these new weapons, barely enter the game at all; unless you unlock every radio tower before playing through the story (which is impractical).

Enjoy the first island while you can and play through at your own pace. Don't be OCD and capture every out post you can at the start as you'll rob youself of interesting "random encounters" like guerilla jungle fights (which also earn you money on the side if you help the rebels win).

The crafting is also implemented at a decent level of sophistication. Skyrim was renowned for its unnecasserily tedious power levelling of skill perks and the herb list was extensive, but this game consists of 3 types that produce combat, hunting and healing abilities, the different herbs for each type are only aesthetical. Making it more practical for the casual gamer to bother with. Crafting gear is a little more laborious, different gear (wallets, loot sacks, weapon holsters) requires different animal pelts which appear to be arbitrary (2 goat skins make a tier 3 weapon holster and are available in a tier 1 area whilst a tier 2 loot sack requires a tier 4 animal pelt), but does give a general sense of progression by stalling you from having deep money/loot reservoirs and all weapon slots a fifth of the way through the game.

Summary: The characters are interesting and unique, the narrative is relavent to first world activities if not a little predictable plot wise (afghanistan and fictional terrorist attacks on NY are so over rated). The guns offer actual noticable difference in play style and stealth is a legitimate option to even the happy gunners (there's nothing stopping you from stealth killing half the men at an outpost then spraying the others with machinegun fire from the sniper nest you just cleared). But as i said, once you hit the second island and do a couple errands you'll suddenly find yourself at the final mission thinking you still had to liberate the island and get to use your new fanciful gear only half of which you unlocked for free because you avoided radio towers on the second island blocked by restricted zones.

I completed the story, liberated the first island, unlocked all the radio towers and did all the *important side missions (hunting/assasinations/medical drop offs) in 12 hours of gameplay. *doing certain side missions unlocks features helpful in the main story arc, such as the final version of all craftable gear or unlocking skills from the skill tree. But there was probably a good 40% more to explore and do. The relics can be largely ignored. They don't unlock gear like in GTA, the radio towers do that. But you'll want to get the radio towers anyway so you're not running blind the entire game so unlocking free gear feels like more of a side affect of not wanting to get lost and being sensible enough to unlock visibility of the map.
  74. Dec 6, 2012
    All I gotta say is UBI lost a really great customer, i had high hopes and expectations but it let me down.. The SP is pretty neat but can use some work like the whole upgrading using animal skins and organs, not that i'm scarred of it but because it seems rather lame (same goes to not being able to skip cut scenes-LAME), there's also when you go to do a mission once you enter the missionAll I gotta say is UBI lost a really great customer, i had high hopes and expectations but it let me down.. The SP is pretty neat but can use some work like the whole upgrading using animal skins and organs, not that i'm scarred of it but because it seems rather lame (same goes to not being able to skip cut scenes-LAME), there's also when you go to do a mission once you enter the mission zone you cannot leave the area until its been completed or mission failed. One more thing, you can't save and expect it to save the spot that your at/in you have to finish a mission then it will successfully save your progress. As for MP I would like to start of with server names, whats a server without its own name? its more of a room, second you cannot host a dedicated server nor can you have admin privilege's of your own server, UBI servers take care of all the voting and banning not the players, also no lobbies. What's an action game without any aumo piles around on the custom maps? how am i suppose to refill my gun with aumo? die and revive? The servers and game themselves do all the work for you like choosing a server, you can't join a server and expect its gonna be the right server (the one with all your friends in it) also my connection cannot even support this game, this means i have a fully paid for game but the connection will not work simply due to the fact my latency is far too high. I ran away from COD games a long time ago and this game feels alot like COD (in MP mode) and with that it makes me an unhappy camper. There is no more LAN like FC2 had but you can always play COOP via ubisoft servers but you can't play it on just your network/LAN.. I'm upset with it, thought it was gonna be awesome, thought it was gonna be much more interesting than the old FC2 but its not one bit. Expand
  75. Dec 4, 2012
    This game delivers a true open world experiance. Although the multiplayer isn't as good as it should be it still deserves the higher score for the single player experiance.
  76. Dec 4, 2012
    The best Shooter since Crysis 1 back in 2007. The performance is great for me, with an 4-year old PC (playing on high). (Intel 9650 4x3,0ghz, 4gb ram, geforce 570gtx 1gb)

The island is huge and in every corner you can find something special. Another great feature is that the world in Far Cry 3 is soooo alive animals attack pirates or your allies fight against them. I love it. The graphics are nice. There are some nice shadow effects and the jungle looks like a jungle. Maybe you meet a tiger in there...

Right now i played 5h+ and i must say that the story is awesome. Its not a normal story like in Call Of Duty or Battlefield 3 its unique in some ways.
    I dont get bored with this game, you have so many things to do. Collect relicts, or just hunting animals to collect skins for upgrading your inventory. You also can play like you want. Play like rambo? Yes you can! You want to be sneaky. Just do if you want!

Two things i dont like in Far Cry 3 are the multiplayer. Its nearly the same as Call of Duty. You unlock weapons with every level you complete. (But i dont care about the multiplayer because i bought this game for the singleplayer experience)
    The other things is that the artificial intelligence is quiet easy to fight against. Sometimes they dont really know whats going on.

This game deserves to be the best game of 2012!!
  77. Dec 4, 2012
    The only reason this is an 8 is due to the lack of splitscreen as was said, to be partof the pc version
    Otherwise i would have given it a 9, the graphics are very good, the gunplay feels nice, the sound is good, the story despite its small flaws is interesting enough to pull you in,, have not dived into multiplayer yet, but i am more of a singleplayer/coop gamer as is
  78. Dec 4, 2012
    Four hours into a game is probably a little early for a review but I usually know if a game is worth playing within the first 20 minutes. In short, Far Cry 3 delivers. Don't pay attention to any score under 7. Those people are angry inside and are probably trolling. REVIEW: The Dx 11 graphics are beautiful and the controls are solid. The story is a bit cliche and some of the charactersFour hours into a game is probably a little early for a review but I usually know if a game is worth playing within the first 20 minutes. In short, Far Cry 3 delivers. Don't pay attention to any score under 7. Those people are angry inside and are probably trolling. REVIEW: The Dx 11 graphics are beautiful and the controls are solid. The story is a bit cliche and some of the characters could be described as the douche-bag frat brosephs with gnarly tats and epic pecks. On the flip side, there are some great characters with excellent voice acting; such as the main villain and the Dr./Scientist dude. As far as gameplay goes; think of the open world freedom and environment of the first Crysis, paired with the shooting mechanics of Battlefield 3 (sort of). I say Battlefield 3 because in my opinion, aside from a tiny bit of bobbing, the feel of the weapons and your control of them feel reminiscent of BF3, which is a good thing. There are also a few RPG elements to the game which make it a bit more interesting. You can go around hunting wildlife, skinning them, and using the skin to craft new pouches for a surprisingly wide variety of gear. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that when you skin an animal, you take what appears to be a heart, or chunk of meat, rather than the actual hide. Not an issue by any means, just a little lazy on the dev's part. I have not gotten very far into the story but I can assure you there is plenty to do otherwise. Countless side-quests involving hunting for various animals, killing different targets of interest, car races, courier missions and a few other types. Enough to keep you busy if you don't want to blast through the main quest-line. There are a couple annoyances for me. The first, u-Play. I won't go on a rant but in short: it's **** stupid. Just stay in offline-mode and you wont have many issues. Another minor gripe I have is the save system. There is a quick save feature but it is useless. Whenever the game loads, you start in a safe house nowhere near where the quick save was activated. Also, when you're in an active mission, the game won't let you quick save. Rather, it auto saves at the beginning of the mission and if you fail, you revert. All of the minor annoyances aside, the game is awesome and I was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of **** games out now that were hyped up to be something they're not, but Ubisoft did a great job with this title and I'll be enjoying it for months to come. And as far as performance; I have a 2600k @ 4.2 GHz with 16 gigs of RAM and a GTX 670. The game runs at a constant 55-60 fps with all of the settings on max except for shadows and ambient lighting, which are set to high as opposed to ultra. Oh yeah, vehicles are sick. The driving mechanics are perfect and there is a wide variety of cars and boats to choose from. There are also hang gliders... Nuff said. For anyone who is on the fence, I highly recommend getting this game. Expand
  79. Dec 4, 2012
    short review

pros:
    - good graphics
    - massive open world
    - many possibilities
    cons:
    - story could be more intense
    - performance should be faster
    - civilians in this world felt plastic
  80. Dec 5, 2012
    This game has a case of consolitus. Allows you to reconfigure WASD-movement keys, but then reverts back to hard-coded defaults for some vehicles - better get used to using WASD if you're not using those already. Also doesn't work too great with high-DPI mice - sensitivity can be adjusted but only up to a point. There's also a bug that distorts mouse-response for fast movements atThis game has a case of consolitus. Allows you to reconfigure WASD-movement keys, but then reverts back to hard-coded defaults for some vehicles - better get used to using WASD if you're not using those already. Also doesn't work too great with high-DPI mice - sensitivity can be adjusted but only up to a point. There's also a bug that distorts mouse-response for fast movements at low-sensitivity values making it impossible to do quick 180s or use reflex-aiming - not pleasant if you're a hardcore PC FPS gamer. The HUD is mostly okay, but navigating the menus does get a cumbersome after a while.

The checkpoint saving system I also found to be somewhat frustrating, it doesn't make it very obvious exactly when the game's been saved, and I've already had a few instances where I thought my progress had been saved and had to restart the game, but ended up losing some progress anyway.

In the end, no matter how to good the game might be - after struggling with above issues for nearly an hour and then having to deal with servers being down, I felt like I was fighting the game itself more than the actual enemies and gave up.
  81. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the best FPS I have ever played. Great job! Inmersive story, amazing graphics, a villain that makes you hate him from the first time you meet him, tons of things to do in a living, breathing environment.

@Ochetazinco, you are such a troll :) giving some lucha libre game everyone hated a high score and this one a low one just to get your sick, twisted "revenge" on american players. Good riddance, troll.
  82. Dec 7, 2012
    All what i can say about it, this game is legen... Assassin's Creed Far Cry edition... dary! I think ubisoft worked with Far Cry 3 more than Assassin's Creed 3, and you can see finally users reviews about two this games.
  83. Dec 15, 2012
    I can't explain how much I fell in love with this game. I played it from start to finish with no breaks in between. The story line while basic, makes you have true emotions towards the characters in the game. While the game suffers from a some minors bugs, the game is near perfect. I will definitely be buying Far Cry 4!
  84. Dec 18, 2012
    It's a game which i was waiting almost year to play. And i'm not disappointed. Far Cry has incredible graphic and addictive storyline. Playing it i can feel exotic climate like in FC1. Unfortunately it ends too quick.
  85. Dec 6, 2012
    Let me get this straight, I HATE having to post a score just to balance misguided hate. So many of these zeroes, you get the mob mentality of "I never played Far Cry" or "I've never liked the series." Really? I mean, really? If you never liked the series, why even open your mouth? My suggestion would be just don't play it.
  86. Jan 21, 2013
    Honestly? This game is absolutely amazing. I play a ton of games in my free time, and Far Cry 3 definitely took the most time out of me. It provided me with over 60 hours of gameplay, full of pleasure and enjoyment. A fun, time-consuming, and often breathtaking experience. Definitely worth your time - play it!
  87. Dec 6, 2012
    Books.

they say never judge a book by its cover, but oh i will judge. for a game that claims to be a farcry game it sure does venture far from the farcry idea, i mean trading, resource gathering? this isnt skyrim of minecraft! and as for the first mission, the best way to sell an open world game is with an open world. not to confine you to narrow rock passages. also this is a PC
    Books.

also this is a PC game. you are allowed to render cutscenes in game, i have a gaming PC for a reason.

but the worse has got to be that every single amazing feature from farcry 2, the diamond hunting, the map, the monicle, the unbelivable graphics engine, the physics, the lack of massive arrows in the sky pointing you blindly to your destination and beautiful non existant HUD have been all reaplaced with low resolution textures, a mini map with waypoint plotting, "click here to fast travel" and pretty much tried to forget the annoyingly under-aooreciated farcry 2 as though it was the worst game ever created.
  88. Dec 16, 2012
    Horrible over-hyped trash! I simply cannot belive the high ratings it got from serious reviewers like PC Gamer, Gamespy, IGN, etc. Have they all gone mad? Far Cry 1 was sooo cool, Far Cry 2 had a great setting, cool guns and fun missions but ultimatetely fell flat due to the stupid checkpoint respawn system. And now Far Cry 3: 1) One hour to get it started 2) only playable if you disableHorrible over-hyped trash! I simply cannot belive the high ratings it got from serious reviewers like PC Gamer, Gamespy, IGN, etc. Have they all gone mad? Far Cry 1 was sooo cool, Far Cry 2 had a great setting, cool guns and fun missions but ultimatetely fell flat due to the stupid checkpoint respawn system. And now Far Cry 3: 1) One hour to get it started 2) only playable if you disable the utter unneccessary uplay 3) worse graphics than FC1 (from 2004!) 4) most annoying UI sever een in a major release 5) boring missions 6) even more boring side-missions 7) laughable AI 8) idiotic design decisions like getting free weapons for climbing radio towers - WTF? 9) unskippable video sequences 10) appalling driving mechanics 11) no quick-saves during missions and 12) BUGS BUGS BUGS!!

Ubisoft used to be one of my favourite publishers but now I hate them so much that I will never ever buy a game from them again.
  89. Dec 14, 2012
    The story line reminds me of a low-budget teen film that is not all that interesting, and makes little sense. You play Jason who seems ready to crack under pressure at the slightest hint of a stressful situation, doesn't seem to know really anything, but is somehow transformed into a bad ass, tattoo-wearing warrior that knows his way around a gun and has developed ninja-assassin skillsThe story line reminds me of a low-budget teen film that is not all that interesting, and makes little sense. You play Jason who seems ready to crack under pressure at the slightest hint of a stressful situation, doesn't seem to know really anything, but is somehow transformed into a bad ass, tattoo-wearing warrior that knows his way around a gun and has developed ninja-assassin skills almost over night. Voice acting is good though, except for Jason. They didn't need to have him yelling, "I'm coming Lisa!" while trying to sneak up on enemies. It's an open world, so go where you want (mostly). You can go off on side missions, though they are not very fun. The Trials of Rakyat are the best, which have you doing missions on a timer. All missions earn you money and XP. XP gets you skill unlocks, but don't worry about which skills to get, because eventually, if you complete a bunch of side missions, you'll get them all anyway. The three main side missions: Medical supply drops have you race against a timer. Wanted Dead force you into using stealth to kill a pirate holding out somewhere. Hunting has you tracking down animals. The main purpose of hunting is for crafting larger stuff so you can carry more weapons, ammo, grenades, and money. Most people will want to craft the upgrades right away, so get ready for a few hours of boring hunting, because it sucks running low on ammo, having no room in your sack, or only being able to carry one gun. The stuff you do pick up is pretty much pointless, and is only worth selling off so you can buy stuff for your weapons. But you don't even have to really buy weapons, because the game practically gives them to you free. All you have to do is climb some radio towers that are pretty much left unguarded by the enemy, and easy to climb (this also reveals more of the map). You can take over outposts to make regions safer for you, and less likely to run into enemies. However, this makes it boring in the long run because the enemies never try to take it back, and then the only thing you have to be wary of are the tons of animals that want to constantly eat you, and they can take a full magazine of bullets to the head before dying. Fortunately, you can choose how you want to take an outpost, and it can be a blast; use stealth, go in guns blazing, or blow the heck out of the place-- doing anything but stealth will result in an alarm going off and more enemies showing up that you can kill. It's also kind of cool that they made it so that things actually catch fire, though nothing really gets destroyed. As far as enemies go, they are kind of dumb (but not so dumb that they just run at you). The stuff they say is laughable at first, but after hearing a pirate say the same line for the 100th time about it hurting when he pees, it gets tiresome. They do at least run for cover, but often times that cover is right next to you and all you do is step around the corner and blow them away. Which is easy since you can see the enemy through walls. Yes, that right: if you spot an enemy (especially through your camera or scope) you gain x-ray vision, apparently. As far as graphics go, I think they look great on my rig, playing it in 1080p, setting the FOV higher than the default, and everything turned on high with AA on. What really brings this game down is the repetitiveness of most missions (which are generally very easy to complete), a horrible HUD that constantly pops up messages (supposedly a fix is on the way for that), how EASY it is to beat on normal, and some of the worst bugs I've ever seen in a game on release day. One of the most annoying bugs is a glitch in which a grenade, a Molotov, or other object gets stuck to your characters right arm, and it gets in the way when aiming...in my case it is a grenade. I have also had a glitch where I see the enemy vibrating oddly, or a mission marker not going away after I've completed the mission. Some friends of mine told me they can't progress because of a game-breaking bug they have ran into. Three patches have been released, the first couple attempted to fix some crashing issues, but the last one highlighted a fix for 32 core systems (who is playing this on a 32-core system!?)...so I'm not even sure the game-breaking bugs are going to be addressed. To sum things up: Far Cry 3 is a fun, but a very easy game to beat, that has some very annoying, and game-breaking bugs, and some boring elements to it. At this point, it is a gamble if you are thinking of buying it. Personally, I haven't had one crash or bug that broke my game-- mostly just annoyances. I haven't tried MP, but I bought this mainly for SP mode. I hear MP is trash anyway. I'm hoping a future patch will remove that grenade attached to my wrist, but I won't hold my breath. If I finish the game before then, it will probably sit and collect digital dust in my Steam library with some of the other subpar games I bought this year Expand
  90. Dec 9, 2012
    So good its just not funny. A Blend of Skyrim with Contemporary setting, FPS with RPG, Open World, whats not to like? GFX push the boundaries and acting that is actually very good Vaas should win an Oscar.
  91. Feb 12, 2013
    the best game of 2012.far cry 3 is batter from far cry 2 and let me tell you why:first vaas is the best villian ever.he is so epic.the single player is the best in all of this package its lest a lot of hour,its very fun and the story is epic and inresting.than come the co-op let me tell you that its not brilliant but it will give you at least more 10 hours.and than comes the multiplayer:itthe best game of 2012.far cry 3 is batter from far cry 2 and let me tell you why:first vaas is the best villian ever.he is so epic.the single player is the best in all of this package its lest a lot of hour,its very fun and the story is epic and inresting.than come the co-op let me tell you that its not brilliant but it will give you at least more 10 hours.and than comes the multiplayer:it is fun and you will spent on it hours but its doesnt bring anything new or unique.so i will give it 10/10 and i am highly recommending on this game. Expand
  92. Dec 4, 2012
    I really enjoyed Far Cry, but felt a little bit let down by Far Cry 2, so I was a bit apprehensive about Far Cry 3, but it really brought back the Far Cry experience for me. Ultimately I have a goal I need to achieve, as part of the main story, but my methods, how prepared I am and how accomplished I am are entirely down to me.

The action is intense, explosive and satisfying, the

The action is intense, explosive and satisfying, the weapons have a great feel to them (especially the bow, oh wow I love the bow!)

It's very open world, graphically very well polished but also very well optimised, you don't necessarily need the best PC in the world to run this game and it still look good, which is a great difference to a few titles released recently that rely on the consumer to have ridiculously powerful systems!

Just like to add that my opinion of the game reflects purely the single player.
  93. Dec 7, 2012
    My Game of the Year! A must buy for RPG and FPS fans- huge open world that feels very alive, tons of customization , open-ended game play decisions...
  94. Dec 4, 2012
    The Single Best FPS Games I have ever played. Engaging, Wild Storyline, Massive beautiful imersive open world, Customizable Guns, CO-OP, Multiplayer, Side quests, Achievements and much improved movement and travel systems, and Challenging.
    (FarCry2 = Long Haul Driving) (FarCry 3 = Walk Drive Fly Glide Fall, Swim, Boat, Jet ski Parachute, or Instant Travel everywhere!!!) , and a smooth Game launch I give this game a Perfect 100/100 in what it offers. the only way I think it could get better is with a multi-choice multi outcome based single player with game & character changing consequences. Worth the $$$. (PS: Game can be difficult if set beyond easy (the way it should be) don't bash it because you suck)...
  95. Dec 12, 2012
    Great game. I loved the single player. Has its flaws like all games, the HUD is intrusive and the AI isn't terrific. However, the scenery is amazing and the characters in it were hilarious, Vaas, Hoyt and the German guy ...
  96. Dec 5, 2012
    I enjoyed this game alot. It truly deserves to be a G.O.T.Y. contender as well as the title "skyrim with guns" Single player has a lot of content. Coop is solid and has a decent length. Multiplayer is fun and has a lot of complexity to it. There are graphical issue present such as glitched npcs, but they only happen on ocasion. Also the story is alright, nothing amazing, but beats cod'sI enjoyed this game alot. It truly deserves to be a G.O.T.Y. contender as well as the title "skyrim with guns" Single player has a lot of content. Coop is solid and has a decent length. Multiplayer is fun and has a lot of complexity to it. There are graphical issue present such as glitched npcs, but they only happen on ocasion. Also the story is alright, nothing amazing, but beats cod's anyday. P.S. To any haters complaining about the performance and graphics. You should've realized that you signed up for a ubisoft game in the first place. They don't give the pc version the credit it deserves. If anyone has bad performance, either your pc sucks or you didn't download the latest drivers. (both amd and nvidia have updates for far cry 3 in latest driver) Also, its amazing how people **** about a game's graphics if they arn't on par with battlefield or crysis. Graphics DO NOT make a game good, gameplay does kiddies. The graphics are good on max with DX11 and high resolution anyways. Expand
  97. Dec 8, 2012
    This is the most irritating game I've ever played. I really like the sandbox "part", but the scripted missions are simply awful. Especially the "press [some key] now" scenes. They just ruin everything you like in sandboxes.

The people's AI is, for me, completely unpredictable. Sometimes, you can sit near the enemy and he won't see a thing. On the other hand, it's hard to avoid detection sometimes (I don't mind snipers, because they behave correctly). It's just not balanced at all. Special killing skills are sometimes annoying. You stand next to the attacker, who doesn't see you, and you want to eliminate him and his buddy quickly and quietly. But 4 pixels of his arm are still behind a tree or wall, so you can't do that! Instead, you use your knife in the standard way making too much noise. You mess up the whole mission because of those 4 pixels. Extremely annoying!

Why are those little pirate dogs so hard to kill? I have to hit them about 3 or 4 times with my knife to take them down. Our character is so skilled in killing people quickly, why are little dogs such a challenge for him? One hit should be enough. Moreover, the pirates often spot me easily if I kill one with gun from a long distance. Even if the gun is silenced. What the hell is that?

The gameplay design is sometimes just stupid. For example, when I swim, I can't get out of the water if the slope is too steep, even if the floor is just a little above the water level. So I'm a strong warrior and killer, but still unable to go out from a swimming pool without using any ladder. That's completely illogical.

Anyway, I actually like the repetitiveness of the gameplay, but I agree it could be more varied. Far Cry 3 would be better for me without its storyline and lame cinematic "press-one-button" missions. Just plain sandbox with one main goal - defeat pirates and explore as much as you can. Weapons are generally well developed, but I especially like the bow. It's silent and effective. Moreover, its ammo is reusable. Using the bow is like being a native hunter. Especially if you can craft things using animal skins and develop your special skills. I like that part.

Graphics are good enough, but Crysis from 2007 easily outperforms Far Cry 3. The main difference is water. In Far Cry 3 it looks just fake. In Crysis, the water is still almost photo-realistic. Far Cry 3 has some beautiful scenes and decent post-processing effects, but that's not enough. Caves look plastic. Too much of the "glossy effect" on rocks. There's also a bloom effect, which is just overused.

The physics in Far Cry 3 is also worse than in Crysis. In Crysis you can easily cut the trees and chop their wood. Imagine crafting possibilities with that feature. There's no excuse like "limited memory" or "limited processing" (at least on PC), because the game can randomly delete or spawn the destructible trees when needed (like everything else: animals, pirates etc.).

It would be a really good game, but it's too damn irritating to the extent I don't want to play it again. It's just overrated and overpriced. I really wanted to like it, but I can't stand it anymore thanks to some stupid game-design decisions.
  98. May 25, 2013
    After hearing so ma ny good things about this game, I it knowing that it didn't support Steam achievements and required UBI's horrendous Uplay DRM software. Sadly, the game didn't come close to living up to the hype. The weapons feel anemic, in that basic animals and any armored human target requires almost a full clip to dispatch with anything other than a sniper rifle or a head-shot.After hearing so ma ny good things about this game, I it knowing that it didn't support Steam achievements and required UBI's horrendous Uplay DRM software. Sadly, the game didn't come close to living up to the hype. The weapons feel anemic, in that basic animals and any armored human target requires almost a full clip to dispatch with anything other than a sniper rifle or a head-shot. Seriously, it shouldn't take five shots from an mp14 to drop a wild dog, and it certainly shouldn't take two entire clips to kill a bear. The AI is awful you basically have to run into someone while crouched before combat starts, but if you miss a shot with a silenced sniper rifle from 1km, enemies will magically converge on your location as if you were glowing like the sun. The graphics are quite nice and I have played through it without a single crash, but the gameplay isn't generally compelling. Expand
  99. Feb 12, 2013
    This game had quite a lot of promise, but unfortunately I feel it makes the same mistakes many other sandbox RPG's make, namely the lack of serious content. The worst thing about this game, which, in our modern era of gaming we should be far beyond, and that is the repetitive filler side quests. No thought seems to have been put into them at all. Far cry is the first game I've everThis game had quite a lot of promise, but unfortunately I feel it makes the same mistakes many other sandbox RPG's make, namely the lack of serious content. The worst thing about this game, which, in our modern era of gaming we should be far beyond, and that is the repetitive filler side quests. No thought seems to have been put into them at all. Far cry is the first game I've ever actually given up finishing the side content because after the first 5 minutes of it I've already experienced the rest of the side content. The story line is a bit unbelievable but bearable, except for the strange endings. I would prefer the game over similar titles like assassins creed 3 (which far cry 3 has appropriated many many features from), the crafting system is a little bit tedious. While far cry was a fun experience, it certainly isn't anything unique, i don't see the appeal that the critics saw in this game, seems to be more of the same in my eyes. Expand
  100. Feb 22, 2013
    Just an other oversimplification of a console game. There was a time when Far Cry was about innovation, challenge, freedom. Innovation is still present, freedom is awesome too, but challenge ruins it all. Playing against an AI with an IQ below 50 is pretty boring even on the most difficult settings. Pirates starting to shoot at you from the middle of a field using no cover. I personallyJust an other oversimplification of a console game. There was a time when Far Cry was about innovation, challenge, freedom. Innovation is still present, freedom is awesome too, but challenge ruins it all. Playing against an AI with an IQ below 50 is pretty boring even on the most difficult settings. Pirates starting to shoot at you from the middle of a field using no cover. I personally stopped playing after I was in a fight with 10 npc's, while there was a group of pirates 20 meters away that were just chilling or I dunno what, just standing there enjoying the sun. It's pretty obvious that the game is a cheap console port. If it wasn't made for console, the game wouldn't be that limited, not talking about the bugs....
    If you are a young dumb teenager, you'll love it
  101. Dec 4, 2012

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013