• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2004
8.1

1. Jan 1, 2012
    Far Cry is the classic example of a great idea with poor execution. At first glance and play-through it appears to be a fairly solid FPS with some beautiful locales, but the more you play the more you tarnish the original appearance. The main problem stems from some really bad enemy AI and a really difficult few levels that round off the end of the game. Even on the default difficulty setting (there are 5 in total) you can expect to die quite a bit. Your character can only sustain a small barrage of gunfire before buying the farm. This is not helped by the 1 hit kills from sniper rifle and rocket launcher wielding enemies.

Also some of the final levels in the game are unfairly difficult, to the point of just being frustrating and not fun at all. It's a real shame because when the game falls into place and you're lying in the bushes, picking off a group of thugs with your sniper rifle, you'll no doubt love and enjoy Far Cry. It's just a shame that its shortcomings aren't as few and far between.
  2. May 26, 2011
    Game starts out interesting but descends into the typical mad scientist and mutants (or zombies or monsters) that so many games fall back on when they can't think of something original.
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    Rambo in the jungle. The difficulty of the game forces you to play strategically and rely on stealth at times. With the realistic graphics, this game makes you feel like you're actually there. And it does this so well because you can explore and advance when you want, how you want. It's a survival game on beautiful islands. The gameplay is intense in terms of the action, with great levels of decent length and a gradual day/night cycle. The game doesn't jump from one place to another like Call of Duty. You play through everything and discover more and more about the story as you play. This beats Half-Life 2 anyday because the action is intense and gripping. If you want to know what it'd feel like to be in one of those Hollywood films, cancel your holiday plans and get this. Expand
  4. Riv
    Aug 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First a little history, back in 2004 there were three FPS games that hit the scene, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry. Far Cry started as a tech demo for Nvidia and Crytek decided to make it a full game. The games story line is OK. You're Jack Carver, a hired boater/gun-crazed-maniac for a C.I.A. operative named Val who is sent out to investigate a tropical set of islands with a mad scientist who is performing insane genetic experiments and who has a literal personal army of mercenaries complete with under/above-ground concrete bunkers, laboratories and more. There is a lot of equipment on the island including a large-scale satellite dish, military helicopters, and bunkers, etc. Your boat is knocked out by mercenaries and it's your job to find out what the plot is and to protect Val who's missing. (I'm lying I really have no freaking clue what the plot is it's really just a guy on a walky-talky telling you what to do).

Far Cry does has lovely graphics and the tropical islands are fun to look around in.

The basic game mechanics of the game is this; you have four weapons in your inventory to choose from; the mercanaries have very keen hearing and ok eye-sight (sometimes), you must shoot them in the head and make your way through the islands by killing thousands of mercanaries, engineers, scientists, to find Val and stop the mad doctor and help your friend on the microphone. You can crouch in bushes and grass, and snipe from long distances and do whatever it takes to get by, you can mark targets with a magical pair of binoculars which lets you hear across miles. Enemies can spot you by hearing you shoot/move or if you peep out of bushes too close or sometimes they just know where you are and are coming to get ya!

The mechanics are fun in a way. But they can also be frustrating, oftentimes it makes sense but later on it can get silly. The game is long and challenging. There is no button to quick-save your game, and the check-points aren't well thought-out and I had to replay long portions of the game over and over in order to progress.

Graphically the game was a hall-mark when it first came out. It still looks pretty good today; but the game is a lonely game. Everything is out to kill you and you go through the game you will go through alone without meeting your first ally until ten-hours or so into the game.

You go from point A to B, to do objective A so you can go to point C to to objective B, etc... then the game ends.

The premise of the game is a 8/10. OK story-line, OK location, interesting design. The rest of the game is a 4/10. Unrefined AI, repetition due to poorly though-out check-points and lack of changing gameplay, the grenades are pieces of poop you sling at enemies. The difficulty is just too high on normal difficulty and anything lower than that just defeats the purpose of the game. Thanks for reading.
  5. Jul 23, 2012
    Nice graphics, multiple solutions to most problems, and challenging as hell, but awful controls, sub-par voice acting, and a paper-thin story make Far Cry another mostly boring and ultimately forgettable shooter.
  6. dsn
    May 17, 2012
    i am new into games..so perhaps my review doesnt count that much...but i felt this game does not deserve a very high scores. Reasons: - the story is unattractive. - save points are decided by game.- the armor and heath shatters very quickly...i chose the easy level to start with ,,,and gave up after perhaps reaching somewhere to 70-80% of the game...i died so many times. the monsters kill you in one blow!..and there are just too many enimies...i was tired of killing and dying. the good points are mentioed by many other reviewers. Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2011
    For me, this is the bench mark for a great game!

Loved the graphics, loved the game-play, loved the story- an all round great game that I keep coming back to for some fun.
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    When this first came out it blew my mind. Levels so well designed you can choose how you want to complete them, game mechanics are fantastic. Sure the storyline is a bit weak, but who cares when you're having so much fun.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    Some games are timeless. To today's standards 2004 FarCry...is still better than most modern FPS. I had never played Far Cry before and am certainly not a fan boy, I just can appreciate a great game. The graphics, to 2004's standards, are outstanding. Today they have still aged well, the maps are detailed and varied. Great level design, fairly linear as would be expected from an FPS game but not excessively so, letting you decide the proper way to approach a situation. Stealth is a big part of this game, many frustrated players who are bad at this game are not used to it because it's survival oriented. The game is as much about strategy and advancing wisely through the stages as reflex and action. For this reason it isn't another boring killfest FPS, but rather an original, masterful game. Expand
  10. Nov 21, 2012
    This game was pretty good, and the graphics are impressive for such an old game. however, the game get's boring after a while. its a little bit all the way the same thing: Shooting, driving, shooting, driving and shooting... Still its a great game and its cheap.
  11. Mar 16, 2013
    I've tried hard to continue playing this game, but I've had enough of enemies shooting through walls. Oh, not only the first level soldiers seeing you perfectly inside the barracks, or the guy inside a locked hangar gunning you down from a car, also those "elite" soldiers later on the game running like mites and killing you through concrete walls and columns.

Ironically, low level
    soldiers took cover and such, this ones are so pro that run around like monkeys so you are unable to snipe them, which probably was the only satisfying weapon.

The concept of the mutants was good, but what could have been a wonderful horror game on the style of Dead Space ended up as comedically gorish as Bioshock due to sheer unability to make the mutant aparitions something unexpected or dangerous.

Good things: The game feels open, with several paths to go from point A to point B, the driving is really good, and the dificulty isn't based on rationing ammunition.

More bad things: As usual, as soon as you shoot 1 enemy, all of them in range of sigth 1 mile away will inmediately shoot at you. No stealth killing today son. The concept of the open world is cool, but there isn't anything else there for you to find anyway, doesn't matter how much you wander.

In conclusion, play this game if you like RPG type of shooters, but expect to possibly left dissapointed.
  12. Jul 22, 2013
    Literally has no redeeming qualities. The graphics were outdated, not to mention they were surpassed by HL2 and Doom 3 in the same year. The AI is terrible, and the "stealth" is a joke. You can pretty much walk by anyone as long as you're crouching. You acquire all weapons within 60 seconds of play, but that's not saying much seeing as there are only four, two of which are pretty much the same thing. The game is often marketed as open world, but the levels are very linear and badly designed. You are often shoved into foxholes in which if you get up, you're killed almost instantly. It's often hard to find where you need to go. One of the first levels has you going into an abandoned ship. You are told to enter through a hole in the ship. There is a HUGE, exposed, hole in the ship that you see instantly. However, this isn't what you want. You need to go underwater, to the other side of the boat, and into a 1 meter wide hole. The story is absolutely ridiculous, but I won't go into that to avoid spoilers. The cutscenes are bad 90s film esque. The vehicle sections are very hard to navigate. Saving is not allowed, so if you need to do something else, you better hope there was a checkpoint recently. I got it for $2.50 on the Steam Sale, and I feel like I paid way too much Expand
  13. Mar 24, 2014
    I can't explain how bad this game is. It's not hard.. it's just bad.
    - No AI
    - instant hits from the enemy + 2-3 shoots, and you die (easy settings)
    - boring
    - B-Side feeling

+ Graphics.

Bad game.
  14. Aug 1, 2014
    Far Cry is one of the worst games I've ever played. The checkpoints must have been made by a spastic, because you have to do the same crap over and over and over again because you keep getting killed by terribly programmed AI who act like they have aimbots practically. When you try to find cover in tents to heal, they're apparently able to shoot through the walls and still kill you. Also, you're left alone for almost the entirety of the game, and you never really have an ally to help you out except Val about 9 hours into the game. This game could've been so great, but the AI is absolute **** and you are alone the entire game. And the one thing that you may think this game has is an open-world aspect... IT DOESN'T, this game is very linear, so if you want a real Far Cry game that is open world try 2 or 3 (and now 4). So in conclusion, you should buy this game if, #1 You like a linear storyline, #2 You like fighting 50 enemies on your own at once, #3 You like fighting AI's who have the same precision as an aimbot. Unfortunately, I don't like any of that in a game, so this terrible game will get a **** score by me. Expand
  15. Sep 28, 2010
    My second pc game and second in rank to.Very very good graphics for its time and even now.Long campaign varied landscapes good AI not many weapons.The see is gorgeous.The game play puts you on a ex-mercenary role.I must say there are few vehicles but better few than none.Pretty realistic.Challenging.Sometimes scary.BUT DAMN GOOD.9
  16. Mar 20, 2012
    I can't believe it gets only 8.3 user score. What's wrong with people?

This game is A SOLID 10/10. It has everything: extreme variety in gameplay, enemies, situations, etc. It has superb graphics (for 2004. Even by 2007 standards the graphics were good). Of course, this being 2012, they are now dated. What is there to say? It is a fantastically fun game with great variety, graphics, and
    no noticeable bugs. It was the first game to render a jungle setting correctly, on top of that. This game did everything perfectly.

IT IS A 10. ONE OF THE GREAT CLASSICS OF ALL TIME THAT YOU ***NEED*** TO HAVE AND PLAY.
  17. Oct 11, 2010
    Very good game, even today I was able to replay it all and I wish more recent game simulated what this game did, just throws you into a jungle and let's you figure out the rest for there. It's a shame the sequel is such a horrible mess.
  18. Dec 1, 2011
    Classic FPS. I found blowing **** up in this tropical paradise to be a rewarding experience. You can definitely see the foundation for Crysis throughout the game. My only regret was playing it on the highest difficulty setting which cost me hours of ultimately rewarding frustration.
  19. Sep 4, 2011
    How can I play this game, if it uses XP only!?!? What is ubisoft thinking?! ONLY XP?! I give it 0 because I can't even start this game having Win7... I thought ubi would be better than this, but lately they are shipping out crap. Proving again ubisoft are douche bags
  20. jdf
    Aug 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the greatest shooter ever designed, if rated firstly by the playability, the story setting [graphics artwork], and the pace of the 20 plus chapters of a very cohesive story. out of 22 levels, only one was poorly designed [you are basically defenceless and have to jump into a river and swim underwater thru a gauntlet of trigen. if they saw u jump u will be killed and must start from beginning of the level again. it is just a random thing, i played thru it on all five difficulties, but you can only repeat until u get a "lucky random number" and they didn't see you in time before getting to the other side where the weapons are.
    usually about 5-6 tries before you "make it" to safety and the weapons/chopper. but one dumb level out of 25 great ones is worth enduring. most other fps are wild run-n-gun affairs, no stealth no variety of experience like FAR CRY e.g. vehicles include hang gliders, four-wheelers, powerboats, etc. Weapons combat is also far more realistic with superior sound and graphics! a fps lover's dream! frustrated "adventure" puzzle lovers should stick to the half-life series, this one's for players who have REAL combat experience to compare the game to.
  21. Mar 3, 2011
    A stealth game with broken stealth.

WOOHOO! Being spotted 6 miles away by an enemy with no eyes!
    I don't see the appeal in a 'Crappy' Stealth game, stealth is all about sneaking past the enemy, not taking out a molotov and letting go.
  22. May 4, 2011
    best shooter i ever played and the first game to have me hooked on 5 straight years multiplayer. although i dont play any more because community has shrunk dramatically since 2008 it is still a special game. the single player is to rescue a hot chick and u fight the mercenaries in a paradise tropical island mostly. brings a totally beautiful surreal environment to kill in. love this game and it is ubi best game they ever produced. fc2 was a bit disappointing however the map maker in fc2 was truly easy to use and not a bad purchase next to this game. Expand
  23. May 21, 2011
    A very beautiful game, great story, with two interesting phases very different... extremely large environments, witch made an open game-play. Just a very hard difficulty in the last levels...
  24. Jun 12, 2011
    Very hard, addictive, with interesting story. It is good mix of Half-Life, Doom and Fear-like games. Graphics isn't best, but amazes player with jungle and island. Terrain isn't quite open, but gives you some better imerssion and multiple ways and styles of going from one point to another. You can sneak, snipe, and kill quietly, or just rush on your enemies, with heavy wapons and explosives, or escape quickly using some car. Unfortunetly it is often too hard, monsters are too hard, often invisible, and almost impossible to kill (and there is no quick-save).
    On plus side, are awsome keyboard control, good level design, awsome graphics when it was released, long game play, and greate diversity of gameplay and levels.
  25. Jul 7, 2011
    I'm probably a few years late for this review. But I just started playing Far Cry 1. The AI is horrible. They spot you through walls as well as shoot you through walls when in reality they shouldn't be able to see you or know where you are. You can creep and move in stealth, but the AI always see you and have dead aim. It's like playing against an AIMBOT and Hacks. The story starts out very vague and doesn't give you much information about who you are, why you are where you are, or even a reason to wonder around an island trying not to get shot by the Aimbot AI. Sorry, I have to give this a 4 for possibility which never came about. Expand
  26. Oct 5, 2011
    Crytek is a developer that knows how to create near perfect first person shooters. Far Cry is another of those examples from their repertoire. This is some great, solid stuff, despite the bugs and glitches. A game to remember. Far Cry is hard. A true challenge even at the easier difficulty settings. Performance is an issue even for today's hardware standards. The game seems to need a fresh system restart to run at its full potential. There are plenty of bugs and glitches. Some were so major that I was forced to reload a save point several times. The game engine and physics is different than most other games, and this takes a little getting used to. The main character's voice acting is pretty bad. Almost to the point of making it sound like a comedy. For whatever idiotic reason, the game alters the Windows audio settings to its liking without setting them back to their original state. This is extremely annoying. Staying in the subject of sound, do a Google search and you will see the massive amount of sound problems people experience in this game. To access the multiplayer portion of the game, one is forced to register and create an account with Ubisoft, which is absolutely ridiculous. The developers clearly reward players who specialize in stealth and skill shots rather than running and gunning. The atmosphere, mood, and setting are superb; providing a tense and exciting experience almost every second of the game. The tension you will experience is not often produced by other games at this same level. There are many parts where you will be spooked and surprised by what comes around the corner or appears suddenly. It is all done very well. Level design in this game is outstanding. The AI is good, and there is always a challenge. Far Cry is all thriller, no filler. It took me about 17 hours to complete. Expand
  27. Aug 21, 2011
    FarCry is an amazing game with spectacular graphics for its time! It is obviously a first person shooter that doesn't add much at all really in that aspect but the physics work great. The story is quite interesting involving mutant science on a mysterious island you find yourself on but it remains a true classic that I could even play now and compare it to some of the games like Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach. I never tried multiplayer though because well, I really didn't want to. It seemed like just another shooter and I play games for story and their single player campaign which held the game up well! The only concern I would have is difficulty but I guess that's my fault for sucking at it! It would be nice if the A.I eased up a little bit though! It is also one of the biggest first person shooters I've played with 20 huge levels based all around the island. So on an ending note... Buy it! Expand
  28. Aug 24, 2011
    pretty mediocre game, somewhat enjoyable, gets really repetitive, i dont see what all the fuss is about this game. not only that, but the AI is ridiculous, and i think theres actually a term "Far Cry vision" for how they are. apparently, they all have x-ray-teloscopic-homing vision and have aimbot on, so even when you have a bunch of bushes and the like in the way, and you cant see the enemy, they can somehow see you and blast you to death from a mile away... Expand
  29. Sep 9, 2011
    Far Cry is even for today the Crysis it was when it came out. Far Cry offers a warm, colorful tropical environment with crystal clear water, mercenaries, a perfect choice between many different types of weapons and an experience to never forget! If mercenaries aren't enough, you'll certainly get better hopes at Treehouse! However, let's keep that a secret for now... If you haven't played it yet, don't buy Crysis, but instead get this copy before any other title made on the CryEngines! Even if it's not as advanced as Crysis itself, you could say Far Cry has an unique ambience which is irriplacable.

I do have to say that it runs difficult on Windows 7 without the 64-bit patch from AMD, so consider taking that patch before playing it on W7.

Aside from that, there are no technical flaws except that it is still heavy for a 'old' game.

Summary:

PROS:

- Far Cry has a unique ambience!
    - Graphics & visuals are astonishing (even compared to Crysis)
    - Immersive gameplay which never gets boring
    - Memorable at a high level!
    - No technical flaws

CONS:

- AMD Patch required for Windows 7
    - Patch 1.4 (Standalone/Cumulative) makes the the game crashing
    - No online player support anymore. Also the online community is 'dead'.
  30. Sep 23, 2011
    ....Seriously people liked this game? I'm up for a challenge and i love FPS but seriously... This has to be the WORSE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. DO NOT BUY THIS POS. Voice acting is terrible, plot is boring and lame. For a 2004 the game serves no justice.. Sure the graphics are nice. But playing the game on medium and dieing constantly to **** AI, terrible checkpoints because the game decided to give no user saves or quick saves like ANY OTHER GAME. This game honestly doesn't even deserve a 1... I believe i overpaid for this game at $ 2.50. Challenging game is one thing but an AI that shoots through walls/tents and auto head shots you is balanced.. Expand
  31. Sep 26, 2011
    This game is a lot of fun. Graphics are not bad even when compared with 2011 standards. It has a linear game play but a fun open world feel outdoors. I very rarely felt lost outside the story or goals. The story and main character is a bit corny predictable, and maybe even weak at times, but adds to the fun more than distract. Monsters are always fun to shoot. Couple of the boss battles amp up the difficulty way beyond that you select, so if you are easily frustrated with redos, then start with normal difficulty or lower. Expand
  32. Nov 3, 2012
    Far Cry is one of my favorite games! The graphics were and still are to this day amazing! The gameplay is great and the game is very hard, but very rewarding. Excellent!
  33. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 8/10
    Sounds 8/10
    Music 6/10
  34. Sep 1, 2012
    Great game for the time it was released. Awesome story and setting, gunplay is equally satisfying. It's also quite challenging at certain parts. The level design can get a bit confusing at times and mission objectives are sometimes a bit unclear. But overall it is a well done experience.
  35. Dec 1, 2012
    Far Cry is a spectacle of near Half-Life standards. You play as Jack Carver an ex-special forces operative, hired by Valerie Constantine to sail her around some islands in the South Pacific. Whilst on the cruise the boat is attacked, Valerie is taken and Jack is left for dead. Now being hunted by the security forces patrolling the island, Jack must find Valerie and get both of them to safety. However as Jack gets deeper into the island he finds more than he bargained for.
    Great FPS action with a relatively open world to reach your objective and a choice of stealth or gun-ho Rambo style action. A variety of weapons, vehicles and even a multiplayer option for once you complete the 8 ish hour campaign. Not to mention mind blowing graphics, sound and AI behaviour making Far Cry a true test of skill for both new players and veterans.
  36. Apr 4, 2012
    Technically stunning for its time. Gunplay works fine and enemy AI is good, perhaps a little too good to be realistic. Multiplayer is great but the singleplayer is just decent.
  37. Apr 14, 2012
    Great game its a bit blocky but its out of 2004! :D i love this game because there are really cool moments in Far Cry ! I think it's a GREAT game. Now im waiting for that Far Cry 3 come out
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Looked amazing for its time set in a lush tropical background, still it had some really cheesy voice acting from the main character. The great fun in this games was using multiple paths, stealth, weapons and vehicles to defeat your enemies. One of those hard as nails games even on the lower difficulties.
  39. Nov 26, 2012
    This game can die in a fire. For 2004 the graphics would have been incredible, but there are major issues with playability. The final 1.4.0 patch broke lots of the physics so enemies will see you and kill you from miles away and through tents. You will randomly get completely stuck on stairs or even the smallest jut in the terrain. You will get stuck on some sections for hours, replaying dozens of times because of the bulls*#$. The vehicle physics SUCK. The only reason I finished this game was to finish the "story", but I wanted to put a bullet in my head quite a few times while trying to figure out a way around some of the malarkey. No way this is an 89/100. Expand
  40. Feb 18, 2013
    Far Cry has excellent gameplay mechanics, looks wonderful even eight years after its release, and...well, I can't say what else, because I can't get past the training level. Yes, it's that freaking hard. Even on the easiest difficulty setting, I can't move one inch (literally, no exaggeration) within earshot of an enemy without being swarmed and shot to pieces within seconds. I'll give the game developers this much: This is the most realistic shooter I've ever played. This is really what would happen if I tried to infiltrate a mercenary camp or steal their truck or rob their tents. But I want to PLAY, and to this casual fan of shooters and action RPGs, this game is not play. It's work. Punishing, unrelenting, unrewarding work. In the game world, I've died roughly 200 times (literally again) and progressed roughly 500 feet. I give this game a 5, which is the average of 10 (because it's probably an incredibly fantastic game to the kind of hardcore gamer that I'm not) and zero (because that's what this game has been worth to me personally). I want to like it, but it's just so damned hard that it's not fun. Expand
  41. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is a mix of very good and very bad elements, and while it ends up being a good overall package, it could have been much better. The graphics were gorgeous for its day (especially the environment) and many of the levels are very large and open, with plenty of options for approaching problems. However, as you progress through the game you spend more and more time in linear bunkers and facilities and less time in open environments. In addition, the enemies you face eventually become very tough and thus severely limit your tactical options (e.g. soldiers that can survive a sniper shot to the face or mutants that take 5 rocket hits to kill). The characters are entirely forgettable, the voice acting sucks, and the story is cliche and boring. The vehicles are very difficult to control and often just make you a bullet magnet. The weapon selection is moderately good, with an array of choices for both subtlety and fireworks. Far Cry is a game well worth playing, but one which failed to live up to its stellar potential. Expand
  42. Nov 23, 2012
    Nostalgia may be clouding this review- I remember playing this when it originally came out and being simply amazed with the graphics engine
  43. Oct 29, 2012
    Great Game! It` s one of the best games i ever played! The story was interesting (but old), gameplay is goog, graphics very beatyfull. It`s perfect game
  44. Jun 21, 2013

GP 6
    Sound 4.25
    Longevity 5 ½

Avg. 5.35

This game features good graphics and peformances; its plot is ok and the gameplay is very nice.
  45. Jan 21, 2013
    It's a great game. The graphics are amazing for its time. The gameplay is a bit different from most First-Person shooters. But it's pretty awesome. The storyline is pretty good too. However, I must add, the voice acting is terrible. I know it's from 2004, but that's not much of an excuse. Half-Life 2 was 2004 as well and it had much better voices. Far Cry is still awesome. Very aggravating at times. If you like shooters and don't have anger-management problems, you will most likely enjoy this game. Expand
  46. Feb 20, 2013
    The overall game is pretty good, its a single player fps that takes place on an island jungle environment. pretty good graphics and sound for its release date, and the gameplay controls are standard with other first person shooters. and it uses crysisengine which eventually got developed into the crysis game. only real problem is the enemy ai in the game, its just crazy hard to play. even on the lowest difficulty level, you will get killed by 2 or 3 bullets coming from seemingly nowhere. even with body armor and everything, still you will get frustrated. it only becomes more frustrating when the enemy gets stronger later, with advanced tech and all. they seem to know where you are, even without seeing. overall, a solid shooter but i do think a bit overrated. Expand
  47. Sep 2, 2014
    A fun, challenging and very comprehensive game.
    Despite its age, the graphics are still very good and holding up the game.
    The best is the level design and the players have gotten dark halls to enjoy beautiful beaches in a Pacific island. Although I must say that in my Steam version of some chapters had errors in the textures and looked totally red mountains!
    The gameplay is excellent,
    although the difficulty, especially in the end it is also high, becoming infuriating.
    I was also surprised the duration of the game; 20 chapters !, some better than others, but overall it is an amazing journey
  48. Jul 14, 2013
    While the game hasn't aged well its still good the graphics on max are still impressive even if the gun models are more 1998 than 2004 the campaign has a decent length the gunplay works well but the stealth is because all the enemies have thermal x-ray UAV vision and have super synced aiming and pistols that can shoot you 100 miles away and the story and voice acting is horrible the multiplayer is very good but you die so quickly since there is no regenerating health and your health goes down very quickly but it still is a good buy you can get it for £4 on amazon and £5.99 on steam Expand
  49. May 8, 2013
    Took me quite a while to finish the game I love a long gameplay. I've enjoyed the game for the most part; the levels were all exciting and, at times, scary. Combat could get a bit tricky, but I've only played in Realistic difficulty. Enemies were hard to deal with in groups but easy to pick off with a low profile. Excited to get started on Far Cry 2!
  50. Nov 1, 2013
    Far Cry is one of the most overrated games in 2004. Some people say that this game is the best FPS game after legendary Half Life from 1998. I disagree. Far Cry is just an average FPS game with boring story, stereotypical characters and annoying game play.

Now, the game really looks fantastic. Most of the game takes place on tropical islands in South Pacific and the islands are just
    beautiful to watch, the sea, waterfalls and jungles look really good and breathtaking, but good graphics doesn't bring good game.

The story is boring and typical even for the worst FPS games: we have one guy with a lot of guns against the army of bad guys and (of course) genetic mutants. Most of the time you are just walking from one island to another, shooting and killing everyone you meet without having a clue what's going on. The enemies are ten times stronger than you, they can see you from a mile away, hear one little sound and they put the entire place on full alert, knowing exactly where you are, I even heard that they can see you threw the walls and rocks which is really stupid and unrealistic. There is no strategy while approaching to the enemy, all the time you are just shooting at them. And sometimes you'll have to shoot at them in different directions, because they can attack you from the air, water and jungle at the same time. The game become very boring after a few hours, because it's all the same; you come to the island, start shooting at the enemy, enter a base or laboratory, shoot new bunch of enemies, push the button or something like that and in the end shoot some more enemies. Maybe it's fun and challenging game for young players, but for me (I like the games with story and challenge, not "shoot to kill" games) it was just a waste of time. There are some cool things in the game, you can switch walking on foot and driving with jeeps, boats,... but that's not enough for a good game.

Far Cry is overall an average FPS game with bad story and terrible voice acting, annoying game play and after a few hours it become boring and predictable. Trouble in paradise for teenagers.
  51. Nov 15, 2014
    Worst FPS game EVER
    Don't buy it Don't even think about it
    just go find other games
    Run for your liiiife .
    I don't know why this game get high score it:s bad
    like really bad .
  52. Jul 7, 2013
    It is really unfortunate that I have to say this is the last Crytek game from which I had a lot of fun. At that time it had everything, it was a great competition to the even great Half-Life 2. So sad that latest Crytek products wont leave any meaningful trace in gaming history, except to be remembered as benchmarks.
  53. Aug 4, 2013
    Zelenilo, džungla, voda, brodovi, skladišta, helikopteri..., prelijepe lokacije, grafika fenomenalna, priča, oružja, raznovrsnost misija, Ai, Ai, mnoštvo zapleta, velika trajnost, velika mapa...
  54. Jan 3, 2014
    One of the best FPS i ever played... really nice graphics good gameplay interesting story but the open-world concept is a bit limited because you can explore a part of the game's world not the whole...
  55. May 19, 2014
    Far Cry is a Solid FPS I have experienced in the past, Its was damn Challenging Indeed (I cant beat it in Easy, But Managed to beat it in the 'Realistic' Difficulty') , The game deserves a 9.9/10, I Minus one point for Messy Checkpoints that is not arranged well (Don't wanna save? 'Saving game'... Killed a Boss? No **** )
    I wist they release a Ported version of Far-cry Instincts for PC.
  56. May 30, 2014
    Even though this game has some bugs and glitches, Far Cry was a blast to me. It's action pack, beautiful graphics for the time, and overall just very fun.
  57. May 28, 2014
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.8 Gameplay: 9.5 Fun/Story: 8.5

A really beautiful and addict FPS. One of the best all time. I enjoyed the graphics so much, water reflections and the distance view without poping. With a good story it would take 10.
  58. Aug 8, 2014
    There's nothing "evolutionary" in Far Cry, but the graphic. It has a open but old school shooting style, mediocre storyline with really suck voice acting. But when you finished it, you'll realize that it's just not so bad after all.

1. The game has plenty going for it. Most notably the AI which rivals just about any human that I've played against. What is most interesting is that the AI plays fair. It doesn't have ESP.
  2. It's like being stranded right smack in the middle of an action-packed B grade movie, and while I'd probably fall asleep half way through the flick, I stayed wide awake and my adrenaline was pumping as mad while playing Far Cry.
    Far Cry is the total package; outstanding gameplay, completely groundbreaking graphics, and a storyline and plot filled with surprises and heart pounding excitement.