7.5

1. Oct 25, 2012
    This is the best farming sim yet. Harvest moon and farmville are very clearly 2nd tier games at the advent of Farming sim 2013. It has up to 10 player multiplayer so you and all of your friends and simulate the exciting work of the agriculture industry. With the addition of sugar beets and potatoes the possibilities are endless. This may just be GOTY 2012. Farming Simulator 2013 is a must buy for any fans of the hardcore farming simulator genre. 10 out of 10. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    This is my first farming simulator. As with other Giant Software games their game engine is outdated. The graphics are outdated. For example, in first person view the mirrors don't work, not at all, it's just grey. How can I take simulation game serious when the mirrors don't work I can't see the plow lines unless I see an external view but how is that a sim? This is more an arcade. Seriously? The game menus are all stretched at 5760 x 1080 (Eyefinity). I only played through the tutorials and stopped. Unless this game is patched with an updated graphics engine I'll remove from hard drive and not buy another Giants Software game. I was looking forward to buying five copies so my family could play co-op play. Minecraft looks better than this game so we'll stick to playing that. I guess if you want a Farming Arcade game this would be okay. A simulation? No, the sounds, the views, the attention to detail are all missing. This is a what I would expect in a 2008 arcade style game, not a 2012/2013 game for a PC. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    This is my third farming simulator I play and I must say - I am disappointed. How is this possible that they sold so many copies of FS 2011 and didn't invest a dime in FS 2013? The bads: 1. Graphic engine (doens't need a comment, it is outdated as my grandpa) 2. Lack of phsyics (absolutely none, zero, null)
    3. Lack of a good manual explaining how to use different buildings (I played other
    farming games so I know, but new player is completely lost)
    4. Emptiness of surroundings. 5. Did I mention terribely ugly graphics and lack of physics? 6. No economy system (You just sell and buy sell and buy - but hey ,where is the competition? Targets You need to meet? nope.) 7. Sound... well, no wonder why every Youtube FS 2013 gameplay has music instead of game sound. The goods:
    1. Machines diversity
    2. And that's all I think.
    3. Mods. But 90% of them is ugly or doesn't work, so actually I should move it to cons. I will recommend it to... noone I think. Just wait for Agrar Simulator 2013 and 7 patches and You will get something similar to real farming. Stay far, far away from THIS. 1/10 for some nice tractors models.
  4. Nov 1, 2012
    This is surprisingly good for something that doesn't even try to hide the fact it's a farming simulator. That said, of course it still *is* a farming simulator, so you *will* be doing some things that are a little more tedious than you'd expect from a typical game. For example, there's no denying that a large part of farm work is driving up and down a field at slow speed, so you will be doing some of that. At the same time you don't have most of the sources of excitement that other open world games have, you're doing honest work (except if you're stealing golf carts, which is possible and apparently nobody cares) so you're not going to be in any police chases or shootouts. The game does a very good job at simulating a farm. You start out with some money, machinery, a loan, and a field (depending on difficulty) and manage the operation from there on. You tend your fields, buy machines, buy more fields, perhaps some animals, and so on, and the level of detail is mostly pretty good. All this takes place in a completely open world, and while you can't buy any cars unless you install mods, there's a very large selection of tractors and other equipment that you can drive around. The nice thing is that equipment generally works like you'd expect it to work: Trailers can be attached to tractors, or in some cases to other trailers, making trains; then you drive them over a grate and press a key to unload your grains, which will happen in a way specific to the type of trailer you're using. Front loaders can pick up things and carry them around, sowers sow, sprayers spray, additional tanks attached to the front of your tractor provide more fertilizer for the sprayer attached to its rear, balers pick up straw and make bales, which you can then pick up with a front loader or another machine that stacks them. Cows produce manure, which you can use to fertilize your fields if you choose to do so, and so forth.

The game does try to alleviate some of the tedium by letting you hire help for some of the repetitive driving tasks. For example, plowing, cultivating, sowing, fertilizing, spraying, and harvesting can all be done by a computer controlled clone of you. This is implemented very nicely, you just drive the machine to the starting point and press H and it'll start doing what you'd expect it to do. For example, a combine harvester will start slowly harvesting your field, driving up and down, and eventually stop when it's full. Then you can pull up next to it with a trailer and the computer help will extend the combine's pipe and unload the harvest into your trailer and continue. Similarly if you drive next to it while it's harvesting, it'll transfer the harvest to your trailer as you go. This makes it very easy to do some of the typical farming tasks that normally require more than one person. It also adds an aspect of time management to the game when you have multiple computer controlled helpers working your fields and need to jump around between them to support them.

You also don't have to wait for your plants to grow. There are three settings to control how fast plants grow, and separately you can also speed up time by 120x. Machines only work at one fixed pace, though.

The farming aspect of this game includes various types of grains, potatoes, beets, as well as cattle (for dairy), sheep (for wool), and chicken (for eggs). Additionally, you can buy green houses that you can freely place on the map to grow things such as herbs or tomatoes, and you can buy bee houses that'll produce honey.

In addition to typical farming tasks, there also are some half arsed missions (basically two types: one requires you to pick up something with a front loader, another requires you to mow strangely rectangular areas where grass suddenly appeared on the golf course). You can also buy solar panels and wind energy converters, which will provide a nice consistent stream of extra income (they're a little too good).

I'm rating this game a 9 out of 10 because it's a good farming simulator with a very nice open world and very detailed equipment. But as I stated above, it's still a farming simulator, and not an action game, and I would not necessarily expect it to appeal to the same audience as other open world games.
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    This game is definitely not for anybody. It plays at its own relatively leisurely pace and is easy to get into not for action freaks.
    The game runs great on my Win7 system I haven't encountered any bugs in hours of gameplay. I found the graphics and sounds very pleasant, but the interface is not intuitive or handy because it's kept out of sight most of the time you'll have to press
    keys repeatedly to bring up certain info on the screen, which I found annoying. Aside from that only gripe, I found the controls of the many vehicles good and easy to learn.
    Running the farm is fun and relaxing, with lots of stuff to do once you have several fields going (you'll have to hire some workers to keep up). You can also change the game speed and enable/disable missions (mowing grass pays off) at anytime during gameplay, or download a free ATV to drive around at high speed.
    Really enjoying this game a totally different experience from anything else I've played on the PC.
  6. Nov 12, 2012
    This is an epic game. All of the graphics are amazing but there one or two bugs for instance the red tractor you get at the start resists falling over even when it should be on its roof but overall this is an amazing game just needs a bit of patch work.
  7. Feb 16, 2013
    I bought this game based on what I thought was a good review. But it hasen't been thoroughly checked for bugs. I have the latest patched version installed There's problems with leaving a tractor somewhere with a mower attachment, save the game. Load it and you can't jump to that tractor via the map. You can see the mower attachment but not the tractor so you have to walk to it, to get back in. You can't hire someone to fertilize. The forklift attachments are kind of wonky, and don't lie perfectly straight in order to pick up pallets. So it's really sensitive and makes forklift missions frustrating. The hired workers are really "special" you have to pay attention to them, especially when setting them up to a field to work. Otherwise they'll just roll off randomly. Their are other tractor switching bugs, that cause hired workers to stop. If you hire workers, put them to work save the game. Load up the game they all stop working. So you have to go back and set them back to work. When you load up a game you always start right in front of your home farm no matter where you save. There seems no real incintive to farm anything other than canola, it's the highest selling crop. Yes other crops may jump in a price a little. But canola is always the top seller even on a bad day. So there's no reason to farm anything other than canola. Maybe it should of been called Canola Farming Simulator 2013. The map feels more like a rat maze than an actual rural area, surrounded by mountains with roads that made no sesne, no matter where you had to go on the map. You had to take these long, winding routes that all focus on the little city. For the amount of distance you had to drive, they could of at least threw in less obstacles or at least be able to hire people to deliver and sell goods. Which you can't do.

And the final bug that caused me to say too bad, and uninstall this game was the collision detection. I had an expensive tipper attached to a small tractor got it stuck on a ramp. Unhitched the tractor to ramm it free, that tractor became lodged upside down underneath the tipper causing the tipper and tractor to become useless and stuck, went and got another tractor went for another long drive *sigh* back to ramm the mess and got that tractor stuck as well. Too bad, because I loved the concept. It was just too buggy and obviously not checked properly and fixed to make it fun. 30$ wasted.
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    A very solid 6. The game plunks you down in front of a cozy looking home overlooking your farm: a compliment of empty sheds, barns, and a field ready for harvesting. I strongly recommend playing through at least several of the tutorials before you jump right in, because like games of yesteryear, there is no "hold-your-hand" and "everybody-wins" introduction.

The tutorials show you
    how to prepare fields, seed them, and harvest them. All essential if you want to be a farmer in Farming Simulator 2013, and I assume that you do! Once you get the basics down, and you've harvested your first field, you start the wonder how things might have gone with better equipment. The sandbox world of farming is what you make of it. The game wants you to use the funds gained from selling your crop to expand your farming enterprise. You can purchase new and more efficient gear, more fields to cultivate and farm, or even self-producing income generators like solar power collection, greenhouses, or bee farms. The self-producing income generators leave much to be desired however, as once you place them there is very little to no interaction afterwards (and the return is not even that great).

More funds affords better equipment, better equipment affords more productivity, so and and so forth. It quickly snowballs into an inordinate amount of cash flow from your series of a dozen or more plots around town. The end game becomes a matter of organization and timing doing the same old thing: farming.

Livestock is an interesting twist to break up the monotony of farming. You learn about harvesting grass, preparing it for different uses, recycling crop byproduct into food or silage, all of which contributes to the efficiency of your livestock production.

The one saving grace of this game is the incredible modding community. Without mods, this game quickly loses its lasting appeal to a gamer whose not necessarily in love with farming to begin with. You will surely want to spend time looking for interesting mods to give your save game a kick in the butt.

The game is monotonous, grinding, yet incredibly rewarding (surely an accurate simulation of farming?). I'm very happy to have played this game, and look forward to the new updates and mod creations from the community to keep it fresh. I think in the end, more than the depth of the game itself, the exposure to farming and it's basic processes was the most enjoyable aspect of the game for me: a casual, non-farming, video gamer. I would certainly purchase this game again, and would recommend it to friends to get about 30 hours of solid, fun, rewarding game play.
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    Really good game for relaxing and for trying some mods...love it. With the tight mods you can build your own little wold. Not for pro gamers. Although keep your girlfriend away from XBOX.
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    I love the agriculture and FS2013 provides me the opporunity of (finally) running my farm!
    Simple controls, well recreated environments, many situations to be kept under control. Well done.
    However I would strongly recommend an extended tutorial and better interface.
  11. Nov 12, 2013
    You'll start playing the tutorials and slowly you'll realise that you're dying with every minute. You'll finish the field for tutorial 1 after what feels like an eternity. Then you'll look at the list of tutorials and see that tutorial 10 is "plant potatoes". Oh good god this can sod the hell off.
  12. Jan 1, 2014
    Why developers have released something so hopeless as Farming Simulator 2013? Tragic graphics, terrible sound, a lot of bugs, miserable driving physics and If I had not replaced it would have met in these five thousand characters proposed by Metacritic. Plus we can recognize that it is cheap (compared to other games because compared to the quality is very expensive)
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    A good game. The developers did a good job. Not so many new things were added. Tractors are quite good. Some tractors are too fast. I really expected better from Giants Software. Although it is worth the money, I had much higher expectations from this game. If there were no downloadable mods, I would have given this 4. Thanks to mods, this game gets a 5 from me. Although I think the developers could have done a better job, its still quite a good game. Expand
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    This is currently the best farming related game. The value and amount of stuff you get for the low price of the game is just amazing. Keep up the good work and hopefully big brands like John Deere will join your great game!
  15. Feb 2, 2014
    Awesome simulator. Its nothing like the euro truck simulator where you mainly drive loads everywhere. In this simulator you work your way up so you can own more land and do twice as much more harvesting as you did from the beginning. there are animals in the game and greenhouses and electric producers and much more to help you gain a big amount of money. There's over atleast 20 different brand names you can buy from and all that do different things to get the job done.

I have so far put in 150 hours into this game and i thought it would be tough but it turns out i was wrong. It's incredibly time consuming and when you go to purchase items that can be placed on the map, it can only be placed one direction. Greenhouses need supplied water AND manure instead of manure alone.

When i first started getting cow and and a bunch of animals, i thought i was biting off more than i can chew but its becoming even more fun and now i can see almost the whole games features and what its got to offer. I really enjoy this simulator. Best simulator yet! 10/10
  16. Nov 29, 2012
    On the plus, an interesting variety of equipment models to play around with. And that's pretty much it.

On the minus, the game simply feels like it was released way too early. A very sterile world, with bland graphics. No help available in-game (and very little from title screen). Too many things on the map represented only by icons and no legend to explain what they mean. Trying to
    establish any sort of advanced gameplay is nearly impossible, thanks to only the most elementary of economic information tracked (Seriously, is it really so hard to imagine a player might want to track information by field?). There are no meaningful objectives or missions, save for exceedingly repetitive and generic "events". Upgrading equipment (the sole raison d'etre) is an exercise in trial and error, since virtually no useful information or guidelines are offered to help you choose wisely - you're basically left hoping that bigger and more expensive will turn out to be better.

Ultimately, just a shell of a game. The possibility of user-generated content is there, but this game seems to be depending on it entirely.
  17. Apr 15, 2013
    This is the first farming simulator that I have played and I can say, I was quite disappointed. After moving away from the country, my parents decided to give me this game in hopes I could get over the fact that I was living in a large city. I would prefer if they didn't.

Negatives

1. I want to point out is that they do not give you a tutorial. I had absolutely no idea how to play
    it.
    2. Lack of physics. Somehow my tractor got stuck in a fence...
    3. Music was horrible.
    4. Graphics are not the best.

Positives

1. Huge selection of vehicles.
    2. You get a sense of what farmers go through. Note the world "sense".

I honestly would not recommend this game as a 2012/2013 PC game. If this was released in 2009 or around then, I would maybe recommend it. Not a good game. I do not recommend it.
  18. Apr 14, 2013
    Good game! Lots of good features. Much better than farming simulator 2011. Lots of new equipment. Very good game and I would reccomend this game!!!!!!
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    Overall, I like it a bit better than FS 2011. While delivering goods is tedius, I play with a gamepad, and xinput compatibility has been fixed since 2011. If you were frustrated trying to map LT and RT to drive forward and reverse in 2011, note that the default controls in 2013 include proportional drive, provided your controller is X-Input compatible. Playing Vanilla, some worthwhile machines have been added (e.g. weideman loader), but this is more of a fix than an improvement, as playing multiplayer with mods is still a giant hasstle. My biggest gripe is physics, where acceleration is too slow and speeds are to high. Tractors don't tip over, and connecting tools is not as realistic as it could be. While I like the game overall, Giants didn't sell so many coppies becasue they made a good game, they sold so many copies because they put a case quadtrack on the cover of their box. Overall, the game isn't bad, I just wish there had been more effort put into improving the vehicles. Also Picking up palets is terribly unrealistic, and friction doesn't scale as you add weight (Driving off of a trailer will propel the trailer backward). The world is a maze as well. On the good side, Controls are fixed, the menu music is less bad (though still intrusive if you enjoy in-game sounds) and it's all in all a more complete than 2011. Mirrors are grey, and pedestrians do not collide with tractors. There is much to be desired from this game, but it is surprisingly complex. Most of my enjoyment of this game is thanks to a dedicated modding community. Most of the games value comes through mods, and unlike 2011, the game is complete without buying additional dlc. Expand
  20. Jul 15, 2013
    You must not forget the most beautiful thing about this game... Creating mods for game. If you didn't create your own mod, you didn't actually play this game.
  21. Oct 20, 2013
    This is probably the best Farming game that I have played in a long time. The game-play is smooth. I like the Multiplayer because I can have my normal save game to play on with my friends so I can show them what I have done.
    I also like how you can easily mod the game. The mods from the website and from 3rd party websites such as farming-uk.
    It's also buggy at some points with the
    driving. That is the only problem I have had with Farming Simulator 2013.
    I think that people should get this game if you want a good Farming game to play in your spare time, or with friends. The missions that you get are nice, the best mission that I have found is the Mowing missions, they pay good and they are easy jobs to do/
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    I had fun playing it. And it has a lot of potential. It seems like they planned it to be MUCH more than it is by now. I'd expect a 10/10 for the 2015 version if they keep on developing the series. You may notice I listed more downs than ups... but modding allows you to fix most of the downs (would be 5/10 without mods).

It's as casual as a game could possibly be.
    Actually... it's
    more.. much more casual than that. Which is why most people may not even consider it a game.

But if you like farming "games"... it can be really fun. You can do farming stuff.. like... plowing the field... then sowing... then waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and waiting (if you set the speed to 120x... otherwise it's 120 times more waiting)... and then harvest and start all over again... you can also have livestock... (Ok... it's not just that... )

Cool things:
    Lots of content. Lots of machines. And this game can be modded (you can also develop your own... they got a modding tutorial too). And even though the game only comes with 1 map, they're rather easy to create/edit and there's a quite active community developing and sharing free mods and maps. When you create a map you can set the possible crop types so... tons of possible crops. Anyways... content customization in this game is pretty cool, though sometimes they go too far (way beyond farming illegal drugs)... you can actually get the "Courseplay addon" that will even play the game for you after you record your macros. That way the game can have fun by itself while you go do other stuff in real life (is that casual enough for you?).

Multiplayer. Yes. You can "play" with your friends. Although the server goes off if no player is online, they got the dedicated server project that will allow you to set persistent servers (probably gonna charge for server license separately).

Not cool:

Livestock is too simple (can be mitigated through modding).

Limited crop variety. Up to the latest version, there is a hard limitation on the number of different crops you can set your map to have. You can set your maps to have cool and unusual crops, but when you do so, you'll have to get rid of the tradicional ones.

Machine-only labor. I'm pretty sure I could work most of the default map fields using only a spoon to do the soil preparation and rip the plants off barehanded in a 8h workday (about 1h for the initial field or 3h if I had to dig barehanded too). I missed the option to buy tools instead of machines to work the smaller fields. It would greatly improve the game by replacing the "waiting" part when you get the multiple fields. At least for people like me who really dislikes the side missions.

Sometimes you forget what the game is about. Seriously. I'm playing a farming simulator and what I do while I'm playing it, obviously. is.... mowing grass for a nearby golf club and transporting other people's crates aroung town The side missions pay better than farming.... unless you turn off the missions. Then you'll spend so much time driving trucks (check my achievements) to store or sell your crops you'll think it's a truck simulator. Except it's a tractor pulling the cargo.

Weird balancing (can be fixed through modding). Like all the games I've started playing the last few years, I started this one on the hardest difficulty setting allowed. Apparently, it's tuned as a 3-50 years range expected gameplay (for 1 map). You feel like you're giving away your crops. The side missions make the feeling much worse (about 5 min to complete a mission and get the same as your 30min gameplay complete field cycle (can be fixed through modding). WARNING: Don't ever play easy after playing hard. It simply feels surreal.
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    This is quite a bad game. Plenty of bugs, unrealistic physics, boring gameplay, etc. If you play video games, you don't farm. If your a farmer, you don't play video games! So right of the bat it's difficult to see who this game is for. Sure a kid might play it but that's about it. Don't buy it.
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    This is the first simulator game I have played due to liking other genres of games but so far loving it!

It is a game you can spend hours on and although it takes some time to learn the ropes once you get the hang of it you will be ploughing those potatoes all night long! I have given an 8 due to the fact the tutorial does not go in depth enough for beginners as it shows you how to use
    the machines but nothing about the environment factors such as fuel, selling or location of services.

The graphics are not the best (No reflections in side mirrors when in 1st person view) but with the amount of vehicles and features it gives you it can be forgiven. The mission timers are a let down as it does not give you enough time to complete them in some cases but it does let you explore more parts of the large map and use other vehicles apart from tractors and harvesters. Good Game from Giant Software!
  25. Feb 16, 2014
    It's not the best simulator i've ever played, and the physics kind of suck, but it is still realistic and fun to play after spending hours shooting people in violent video games.
  26. Jun 25, 2014
    When I first got my game with platinum content it wouldn't even load up the actual game, only the main menu. What a huge rip-off it was! Besides I'm not a fan for simulator games. I would trade or sell my game for a game that I would want and like, for example Halo, Watch_Dogs, Destiny, or Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.

You can find a lot of educational value in this simulation, but as entertainment, it just doesn’t work – it's more edutainment than a game. [Jan 2013]
  2. Jan 6, 2013
    This is not a product for a typical gamer and has plenty of shortcomings but it does fit lazy afternoons pretty well. But on the other hand so does blowing into ocarina… [1/2013, p.74]
  3. Dec 28, 2012
    What sounds as a simple idea, ends up being a complex game that simulates agricultural life from many perspectives and in the best way possible. Just do not look for perfection nor a revolution in it.