Fate of the World PC

7.6

1. ave
    Feb 11, 2015
    If you draw a line between Democracy and Civilization, Fate of the World stand inbetween, in the fringe of serious gaming.

The game has been funded by humanitarian organisations and created with the help of universities. The result is a robust and deep political / social / economic / scientific / environmental underlying engine. And here is the true quality of this game : the engine is accessible, but most of the time hidden.

As a player, you receive updates of the actual situation in multiple regions of the world in shape of news or governemental reports. From that point you can hire agents and select several missions displayed as cards (nice design idea) for a time set between 5 years and permanent.

The game is not easy, the task at hand is hard. Improving the life and well-being of populations won't prevent insurrections or shield you from climate change - at least in the early years.

The interesting benefit of Fate of the World is to give you perspective on critical issues, and experience the tough job of trying to be a fireman in several places at the same time.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    A game that really gets to grips with the true complexity and challenge of the environmental crisis. This game is a little overwhelming at first but after a few play throughs it makes for a engaging intellectual challenge. This game isn't intended for people that want it easy.
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    It's a pretty complex card game where you get to play global policy maker. There are actually a lot of different things you need to keep track of including region stability, employment, population growth, energy demands, technology research, medical care, education, and many others. There is an immense amount of data available to aid you in your cause, but you can choose to ignore itIt's a pretty complex card game where you get to play global policy maker. There are actually a lot of different things you need to keep track of including region stability, employment, population growth, energy demands, technology research, medical care, education, and many others. There is an immense amount of data available to aid you in your cause, but you can choose to ignore it altogether and just "roll the dice" and see what happens.

The game is not very intuitive. It isn't obvious what each card does until you've played them a couple of times, and it took me several campaigns before I got a better understanding of how they were used to actually accomplish goals. You'll definitely need a little patience to struggle through it. It's a different strategy game than the norm, but nothing I would recommend. It's one of those games that you either love or hate--not much room for being on the fence.
  4. Mar 3, 2012
    A pretty fun edutainment title - if only it weren't so difficult! Effective as an educational tool and it'll even be of some interest to the climate skeptics out there.
  5. Jan 14, 2012
    Fate of the World is an interesting game with goals that make you think about your next moves. It is definitely a genre that hasn't been seen all too often, which is nice considering the redundancy, and thus lack of creativity, seen in the current gaming industry/market. The graphics are pretty basic; just a globe with an Earth texture slapped on it and a day night cycle which really meansFate of the World is an interesting game with goals that make you think about your next moves. It is definitely a genre that hasn't been seen all too often, which is nice considering the redundancy, and thus lack of creativity, seen in the current gaming industry/market. The graphics are pretty basic; just a globe with an Earth texture slapped on it and a day night cycle which really means nothing other than seeing lights turn on at night.

However, there are some aspects of the game that don't interest me. Fate of the World is a somewhat linear game. Granted, you can do different things every time you play the game, it's overall objective is to get the player to keep the world from falling into despair due to either global warming, low HDI or civil wars (with the exception of one scenario). Another issue is the lack of sandbox play. With a game/idea like this, the most important thing you want to include is a sandbox mode that allows players free reign over their game. FotW does not allow this. The scenarios are also very short, not allowing players to really become immersed in the game fully; almost comparable to a demo.

Overall, Fate of the World is an interesting peek into what global strategy games could become someday (more about geo-politics and policies and less about wars and dominance). Unfortunately, it falls flat with its short game-time scenarios and lack of free-play.
  6. Dec 25, 2011
    It certainly gives a challenge; that is to say, it is very hard. If you have any big goals in this game, expect to fail many times. The way regions kick you and your control out and will not even work according to guides disappoints. Maybe it is an accurate depiction of the world, but it sure is unpleasant and un-fun.
  7. Jul 16, 2011
    First off, this game really represents a great new direction for subject matter in the field. It's not that there haven't been socially conscious games made in the past, but very few have pulled off a decent game that can only be played through peaceful gameplay. Fate of the World does this really well. However, the reason for my low rating is that the game is generally very difficultFirst off, this game really represents a great new direction for subject matter in the field. It's not that there haven't been socially conscious games made in the past, but very few have pulled off a decent game that can only be played through peaceful gameplay. Fate of the World does this really well. However, the reason for my low rating is that the game is generally very difficult to understand how to play. I've played through it successfully a few times, but not without making it extremely difficult for myself for lack of knowledge of how things work. It may seem apparent at times, but it's really not. In short, gameplay is counter-intuitive and the game itself doesn't do nearly enough to help the player understand the mechanics.

The game is also a little depressing. Solutions to problems that crop up while you're saving the world all fail at some point and the best you can do achieve mission goals, knowing that things won't hold up no matter what path you choose. This may be due to the very clear bias the game has towards unfavorable outcomes to the worlds present energy crisis. This game could really have done much more good by better explaining energy, how we exploit it, and proposing positive solutions that could have real consequences. Instead, it leans very heavily on the doom and gloom side. Gameplay is at least intriguing and the concept is very unique. Otherwise, I wouldn't call this something that's fun to play, but the strategic gameplay is definitely stimulating.
  8. Jun 2, 2011
    This is a very fun game. It is a great combination of puzzle and strategy. I is a challenge because i cant beat the 2nd mission{oil fix it}. It has many cards and a big choice with the cards you play. When you play this game you mind will pump, and your bones will crack.
  9. May 2, 2011
    OH YOU THINK YOU CAN SAVE THE WORLD DO YOU? C'MERE AND GET SOME OF THIS TIT BISCUIT. Fate of the World is hard, hella hard because you're trying to save the world, it's depressing as well, providing a very engaging experience despite being a virtual card game. I have not even passed the third scenario yet but like any good game, losing is enjoyable. You don't feel defeated when you lose,OH YOU THINK YOU CAN SAVE THE WORLD DO YOU? C'MERE AND GET SOME OF THIS TIT BISCUIT. Fate of the World is hard, hella hard because you're trying to save the world, it's depressing as well, providing a very engaging experience despite being a virtual card game. I have not even passed the third scenario yet but like any good game, losing is enjoyable. You don't feel defeated when you lose, you wonder what you did wrong. A very good value on Steam, but you can also buy it from their site. Buy this game, play this game, it is awesome. Expand
  10. Mar 23, 2011
    Confusing and steep, but undeniably compelling and interesting. In fate of the world you are elected world leader to tackle a fuel and environmental crisis at the same time. The game is not afraid to throw you into the deeps, providing a tutorial that is too small and tons of information that you may or may not need directly. Information is not well presented: it's too much and too fine,Confusing and steep, but undeniably compelling and interesting. In fate of the world you are elected world leader to tackle a fuel and environmental crisis at the same time. The game is not afraid to throw you into the deeps, providing a tutorial that is too small and tons of information that you may or may not need directly. Information is not well presented: it's too much and too fine, there is no good top down information-stream. Since the gameplay is turn-based and graph reading is involved a lot, the pace is slow. This gets a bit tedious because all areas you control don't feel unique, and you tend to find the same scenario in different areas over time, making you hasty and careless in your decision. Different options for different countries would certainly help. Actually, the gameplay is remarkably linear for a game which gives so much choice. It's more about juggling between economy and environmental issues. You only have one sane choice direction to go (Renewal energy), its just how you manage it while keeping the folks happy. The game would benefit if the options feel more distinctive. A suggestion would be to, for example, enable South America to become a world national park, lowering the Carbon emitted drastically and saving bio-diversity, or to choose to make it the world bio-fuel factory, buffering food supplies and spreading the juice. Generally, the game misses gameplay character. The game mechanics and the action-consequences events are hidden deep. You'll never see a "Will reduce Carbon emitted by 20% over 10 years" or "Produces X barrels of oil in 5 years". This may make the gameplay look random at times, and makes you play a little more aimlessly. However, taking this all together, Fate of the World brings the player in a fresh new situation, educating them on the run. It's vagueness and lack of direct feed back make the game mysterious and unpredictable. It's steep learning curve and difficulty make the player think not only about the game, but also about the future of the world. If you put this all together, it makes Fate of the World memorable and stimulates the player to think. Therefor I see the game as a great educational and philosophical game, that like a really good movie, makes you think about our existence and problems. Only for that brave step alone I think the game is already admirable. That I'm enjoying it regardless of all the pits is an extra. Expand
  11. Mar 1, 2011
    I got this yesterday, and spend last evening trying to beat the "Oil Crisis" scenario. The presentation and the engagement of the game are excellent, I immediately got stuck into it and had a strong sense of time running out and climate change getting worse.

That said, it's really, really difficult. Maybe I haven't yet figured out the key to this game, but even when I'm doing well the game can throw a curveball at me and completely ruin my playthrough. For instance, I had a global market crash in 2070 which caused most continents to sink into war and general hate towards me as the GEO chairman. I could not figure out how to avert or fix this, and that was a bit annoying as I was doing so well up to then.

I do like it a lot though, and am looking forward to solving the problems the game throws at me. It was heartbreaking once the extinctions started, and I felt directly responsible. Which other game can claim the same educational effect on the player?
  12. Mar 1, 2011

1. Nov 15, 2011
    These types of games are often focused on a lonely construct. Fate of the World's zoomed out view only amplifies it.
  2. Jun 15, 2011
    Simple mechanics, brutal difficulty curve, lack of feedback and a sophisticated simulation make for a mixed bag. Recommended for those with an interest in global politics, strictly optional otherwise. A bargain at 10 bucks.
  3. PC PowerPlay